Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-778-3401
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Emory University Reproductive Center to a friend?

The clinic [Emory] is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!... I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass is warm and detailed in her appointments. She is encouraging and explains everything in a way that is easy to understand. Her staff are quick to respond to communication. The only downside has been hold ups with the insurance coverage and starting treatment but since this is a newly covered service I imagine the process will improve in speed, efficiency, and know how very quickly!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
The nursing staff and care coordinator are very responsive and knowledgeable. They work quickly to keep things moving and are compassionate and caring. They always follow through with requests.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate and enthusiastic. She makes the process seem routine and takes the scary out of it. She explains her diagnoses and treatments so that it can be easily understood and makes herself readily available to answer questions in a timely manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Bring your positive attitude!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
All of the diagnostics for infertility were covered in full by my insurance. I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass is a firm believer in eSET for first timers without obvious fertility issues identified.
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.

2014 - 2018
The front desk personal [at Emory University Reproductive Center] was absolutely wonderful. She had great personality. The nurses are also awesome. They listen to whatever you have to say and also get the right answer to whatever questions you have. They treat you like family...The only problem I had with the clinic was the financial department. She hardly return your calls/email. Make sure you don't get rushed in that department because that's what they always do. Also make sure you have the necessary questions answered and also the necessary document needed to either apply for a loan or bet on financial assistant.
2014 - 2018
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I was treaded like a human because she took her time to explain the necessary steps and procedures I will end up doing. Even tho I didn't get to see her during all my visit, she always respond to my emails when I message her. She was great.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Shameka)
The front desk personal was absolutely wonderful. She had great personality. The nurses are also awesome. They listen to whatever you have to say and also get the right answer to whatever questions you have. They treat you like family.
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr Jessica Spencer is an amazing Doctor. She make sure she listens to you when you have questions and concerns and also answer accurately. She doesn't rush you in and out like some doctor so. She makes sure your are satisfied with whatever you come I for. She is an incredible Doctor and I would recommend her to friends and family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I will tel them to be patient and make sure the ask all the questions needed and if they are not satisfied with the answer they should asked for in-depth answer because sometimes the doctor thinks you know everything like the terminologies that are been used during discussions.
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
She prescribed me clomid/Letrazole and told me to use it on day 3-7, then come in on day 12 for ultrasounds. The clomid/Letrazole did give me good size follicles which was awesome. I was also prescribed ovidrel to use per Doctors order.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
The visit is usually covered by my insurance. The only thing I had to pay for was my copay and payment for the two IUI services
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.

PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I like that it’s [Emory] a teaching clinic. Long wait times on day of appointment and schedulers frequently made errors. Make sure to confirm appointment time online. Billing is very confusing, but Tereon is helpful... Sometimes the nurse could be disorganized - sending scripts to wrong pharmacy, not including all medications or miscalendaring dosages. That made me feel like a number. However, she took the time to speak with me at length several times a week to walk through instructions and always promptly corrected any issues.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I like that it’s a teaching clinic. Long wait times on day of appointment and schedulers frequently made errors. Make sure to confirm appointment time online. Billing is very confusing, but Tereon is helpful.
Dr Kawwass took the time to hear my concerns and treat me as a human being. Her entire staff knew me, checked in on me and became my support system. Dr Kawwass always answered my emails and took the time I needed to answer all questions. She showed genuine care for me.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr Kawwass was very thorough and communicative. She took time to make sure I understood the process and had the support I needed. I didn’t see her every visit, but she did answer all emails and checked in on me frequently. She was a great patient advocate when I went in for surgeries and procedures.
The initial visit is overwhelming, and Dr Kawwass is straightforward, so ask as many questions as you want and she’ll take the time to go through everything.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Clomid, femara and combined with metformin. IUIs as progressive treatment. Not recommended more than three, as results don’t improve. Injections as last resort given percentage of success balanced with cost vs other option.
16k for retrieval and two transfers.
Preference for single transfer.
Atlanta

Monitoring appointments [Emory] were held during the same window of time each day ... nearly always completed in 15 - 20 minutes or less. ... I experienced a scheduling mishap during my initial screening for IVF candidacy. ... I paid roughly $25,000 out-of-pocket for IVF treatment ... Billing was sometimes slower than I would have liked, but we received detailed invoicing and plenty of time in which to pay our bills. ...
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Most visits were quick and easy. I did experience one mishap with scheduling, though the doctor and nursing staff were able to accommodate me anyhow. The team is fairly organized, and it's clear they abide by strict routines and policies to make certain day-to-day operations run as smoothly as possible. Billing was sometimes slower than I would have liked, but we received detailed invoicing and plenty of time in which to pay our bills.
Dr. Spencer and her team were extremely responsive to my needs. All my questions and concerns were answered and alleviated quickly, and my care and outcome were top notch!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The nursing staff was very compassionate and responsive to my needs. All questions and concerns were answered and addressed within a business day or less.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Spencer is extremely knowledgeable! She was able to fully answer mine and my husband's questions on the spot and in terms we could easily understand. She took the time to meet with us and discussed all our diagnoses and options fully. We never felt rushed, and her bedside manner is impeccable. Dr. Spencer personally performed and oversaw all of my procedures, and we received a positive outcome following our first cycle and frozen transfer!
Ask a lot of questions to set expectations because Dr. Spencer will provide complete and honest answers.
Dr. Spencer was careful tweak my dosages little by little to prevent over-stimulation during my initial IVF stimulation cycle. I underwent additional monitoring to ensure any changes in medication dosage took the desired effects. My stimulation cycle took a couple days longer than initially anticipated, but her careful attention to detail ensured that she was able to retrieve 18 mature eggs from which to work while also keeping me healthy throughout.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Monitoring appointments were held during the same window of time each day, however, each patient was provided with their own specific appointment time, so I never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes to be seen. Once I was called back, my ultrasound and bloodwork procedures were completed immediately. My monitoring appointments were nearly always completed in 15 - 20 minutes or less.
I paid roughly $25,000 out-of-pocket for IVF treatment, including all anesthesia, procedures, and additional monitoring. My various prescriptions costs were about $3,500.
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic overall is very organized. The only thing I had a small problem with was getting in touch with financial advisor to speak directly yo her about my billing. But I would say that they are on top of the financial side behind the scenes, meaning they are working really hard and getting all your claims covered as faat as possible. The financial advisor is very sweet and helpful, but just a little difficult to get in contact with if you have questions. They do get back to you, but probably not as soon as you would like, but thats understandable because she handles hundreds and thousands of patients files. The front desk people are very cordial and awesome. They greet you with a smile and are very helpful if you need to anything. For example, they would hunt down a nurse or doctor if you need them right away. Overall, the clinic is great!
I was treated extremely well like a human by Dr. Spencer and her nurse staff. Emory Reproductive has a portal where you can sign-in on a computer and/or mobile device and directly contact their staff and Dr.Spencer at any single given time. This direct communication gave me a sense of security that I have always wanted from any medical doctor and facility. If I ever had a problem with my perscription, appointment dates or times, bleeding heavily, or aches and pains.... Someone was available and rady to answer my call or questions 24/7 and 365. I have never had such a caring staff and medical doctor ever before. Dr. Spencer listens to my concerns and even gives me personal advice on my medical treatment and orther situations, for example, I wanted to stop treatment, but she knew that I was just having a hard time since my embryo transfers kept failing. Dr. Spencer would give me tge mkat encouraging, sweet, and motivational speeches that would lift my spirits and help me to contine the fertility cycles. She is a very personable and lovable person and I’ll forever appreciate her and how she cares for her patients like me. She also rescheduled and made changes to her own personal schedule to make sure she is in the office to do my treatments since I have been so scared to let another doctor treat me. She is so awesome!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Anderson)
The nursing staff is absolutely amazing and always on top of my care. They are always prompt in responses about my kab results as well. If I have a question or concern, they always tell me that they would first consult with my doctor. This showed that they truly care about accuracy of advice and care that was given. I don’t see any weaknesss with the staff at this moment. They always have open availabilty and I they work around my personal schedule. For example, if I want to come in earlier than my scheduled time for an appointment, the nurse always says that fine. They are very accommodating and nice. I really appreciate this because my personal schedule can be very unpredictable from week to week. Also, when I had a miscarriage, Lisa would give me a call and check on me to just see how I was feeling. This was very touching and I appreciated the concern.
Dr. Spencer is always open and available to listen to my concerns and make necessary changes to my protocol after listening to me. For example, the last doctor that treated me never listened to my concerns about how the medications affected me in a major way. The meds would cause me not to ovulate properly and so when I finally went to Dr. Spencer, I informed her about this situation and she listened and made adjustments to my meds and protocol. I was sooooo happy she listened because after the medication changes I got pregnant, but it ended in a miscarriage that wasn’t Dr.Spencer’s fault. If I was ever uncomfortable during a procedure, she would even hold my hand and calm me down. I am very satisfied as a patient at Emory. Its more than excellent. Dr. Spencer is professional, patient, and kind. She takes the time to explain my care fully and also asks if I understand, if not, she fully explains until I get it. She gives me the time I need to make sound decisions and never pushy. Again, I can’t stress enough about how awesome my experience is every single time I go in for a visit at Emory with Dr. Spencer.
I would say to not be afraid to talk to Dr.Spencer. i would tell someone to let their guard down and just be open-minded and listen because ahe gives good advice and won’t lead you astray. I’d also advise them that they should set-up one on one appointments with her often to get more time to talk to her.
The long lupron protocol was done on my last cycle. I started tge lupron shots approximately 6 or 7 days before my expected period. I also would place on estradiol patches daily. Once monitored by my ultrasound shows my follicles have matured, then it was time to move into the final process. Secondly, Dr. Spencer found that I can ovulate perfectly on my own and that I would only need to do a natural FET. So we wait until my cycle came on and on a certain day of my cycle I go in for and ultrasound and look at my follicles. After they get to a certain point I have a Ovadriel trigger shot. Four days after I have a embryo transfer.
The cost of the ivf cycle was $12,000 and the embry transfers was $2700.
She had a string preference for the number transferred since most of them failed, so she recommended two per embryo transfer. She said my chances would be better. I had yet to get pregnant until I started treatment with Dr. Spencer and since taking her advice with the transfer of two.... I got pregnant with twins the last transfer, but they ended both as blighted ovums. So her recommendation to transfer two actually worked.
Atlanta

Emory uses Patient Portal so patients and doctors can communicate. All of my messages were answered in a timely manner! It’s a very convenient system. The waiting room area is quiet, clean, and modern. The front desk staff is very professional and friendly! One thing I loved about Emory is that no matter who you saw that day as you checked in, got your ultrasound or lab work completed - EVERYONE was professional and friendly. To them you’re more than your patient number, you become a part of their family and they’re there to make sure all of your questions are answered and your journey is as pleasant as possible.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I felt like a human because Dr. Kawwass contacted me over the weekend after a failed stim cycle to see how I was feeling, and to give me recommendations for the next cycle. I appreciate the fact that each protocol was changed based on how my body responded each time. They weren't choosing cookie-cutter protocols. They tailored them to meet my needs.
The nurses were friendly and very thorough. My husband and I went through 3 cycles, and I would recommend that patients receive new schedules for each cycle. I didn't receive one my last cycle, and didn't know I was supposed to start taking one of my medications on a certain day because I was used to the nurse telling me and I typically had a sheet to follow. It was an error on both of our parts, but it was resolved quickly - I was able to get a new calendar via the portal.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I loved ERC!!! Dr. Kawwass is very knowledgeable, informative, positive, and involved throughout the process. She takes the time to answer all of your questions, and is very upfront. We went through 3 stim cycles and after the second failed she even contacted me over the weekend to see how I was doing and to give recommendations for the next cycle – which was successful! I appreciate the fact that each stim cycle was different in terms of the medication protocol that was used. I could tell the team was reviewing my chart and making adjustments based on how my body responded each time. (The last reproductive center my husband and I were at kept using the same methods each time, and didn’t bother to alter anything even though we weren’t getting any results. It made us feel like they just wanted to keep our hopes up and take our money.)
Don't expect to see her every visit; however, you're in great hands with the other staff members who will be providing you with your primary care for that particular visit, i.e. sonographers and phlebotomists. If you happen to have more questions, they're great about asking you if you'd like to speak with a Nurse before you leave. She goes into great detail about your plan of action and how the overall process works during your intake appointment. You're in great hands with Dr. Kawwass.
1st Stim Cycle - 75 iu Menopur 2x's/day, 450 units Follistim 1x/day - Produced 4 eggs, 0 fertilized, 2nd Stim Cycle - 75 iu Menopur 2x's/day, 450 units Follistim 1x/day, and Lupron - Did not produce eggs large enough for retrieval 3rd Stim Cycle - Clomid, menopur, 150 units follistim, Cetrotide - Produced 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, 4 embryos
Monitoring appointments were scheduled during the morning hours so they could contact you that afternoon about your status and when you should begin taking other meds or do your trigger shot. You simply checked in and you were buzzed back within 5 or so minutes for your ultrasound. The only time the wait was longer than usual was when the computer system was on the fritz. Other than that, the staff was always efficient.
ERC offers various financial packages. It depends on how many transfers and cycles you'd like to purchase.
The process explained to us was if we did a day 5 transfer, they'd transfer 1 embryo. If we did a day 3 transfer, they'd transfer 2 embryos. We were given the option to do a day 3 or 5 transfer.
Atlanta

[Emory is] Very welcoming, friendly staff. Nice facility. It takes a 10-15 minutes to find a parking spot and travel from the parking deck to the clinic. Parking is $5. You get some parking vouchers during your IVF cycle when you're going quite often. The Emory Patient Portal makes it very easy to ask non-emergent questions of your Dr. and nurses at any time. They will reply to messages or call you after hours and on the weekends.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The IVF orientation process at the Emory Reproductive Center is very thorough. Dr. Kawwass did a great job explaining everything in a way that we could understand. She took the time to answer any questions we had and made sure we were comfortable with the entire IVF process.
Everyone was very compassionate, kind, and competent.
Very knowledgeable and passionate. I felt very comfortable and confident working with her. She communicated well and did a great job explaining the details of the procedures and processes that we underwent.
Ask any and all questions that you have. She'll answer them and put you at ease.
Dr. Kawwass prescribed a high dose protocol for egg stimulation including Menopur and Gonal F. Since we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, she recommended that we do ICSI. My progesterone started to increase earlier than anticipated, so our retrieval was scheduled a few days earlier than anticipated. 10 eggs were retrieved, 5 were mature and only 2 fertilized. Due to only having 2 embryos, Dr. Kawwass recommended a day 2 transfer of both embryos. The Embryologist discussed the options of transferring 1 vs. 2 embryos the morning of the transfer. We decided to only transfer one and allow the other to mature to day 5 (which it did!) before freezing. After the transfer I used Estradiol patches and Progesterone shots. This IVF round was successful and I now have a 4 week old healthy baby boy!
I am fortunate to have some insurance coverage for infertility and IVF services. We used the maximum amount of that benefit (I think it was $10,000). After insurance I believe we payed Emory about $13,000 plus $7,000 for medication.
Dr. Kawwass recommended we transfer both embryos since we only had 2 to increase our chances. The Embryologist discussed our options with us the morning of the transfer. My husband and I decided to only transfer one embryo and we are confident that was the correct decision for us.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
[Emory Fertility's] Strengths - Doctors, Fellows, and scheduling (they are open year round, which means weekend appointments, and IVF all year). Weaknesses - They don't hold your hand as much through the medication process. Again I stress, in my opinion the strengths outweigh the weaknesses by a mile...The nurses are all very nice and compassionate. I never saw many nurses, but talk to them a lot. I was not assigned a particular nurse to I have talked to many of them. As I mentioned earlier sometimes I have to help them with where all my prescriptions go, and if I need refills.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Emory is the second clinic we have gone to, but we visited 4 clinics total. From the first minute we met Dr. Kawwass she felt like a friend, not just a doctor. It was very clear she wanted us to have a baby, not just gain a new patient. Also, the waiting room is never full (like most private clinics), and I have never waited more than 10 minutes from my appointment time (usually they pull me back early).
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass is amazing. It is clear she really loves what she does. She never rushed us and was sure to answer every question we had. She (and all the fellows) explain EVERYTHING so clearly. At all times you know exactly what they are doing, how and why they are doing it. It makes all of those invasive procedures feel better because you understand what is going on. Also, I love how knowledgeable Dr. Kawwass is in current fertility studies. The best way I can describe the kind of doctor she is, is by telling you about our failed transfer. This was our 2nd failed attempt, but first with her. The nurse from Emory called to give me the news as soon as the results came in, and told me Dr. Kawwass would call the next week (it was Friday). However, I got a call from Dr. Kawwass just to express her condolences and "send me a hug". This meant so much to me, I could tell she was truly upset by the result as well. She is so smart and compassionate if anyone is going to get me to the best end result, I believe it will be her.
The doctors, and fellows are fabulous; however, you have to be on top of ordering you medicine on time. This may be more of an issue for me as I am an out of state patient and have to do outside monitoring. At my previous clinic my nurses were on top of the medication, showed you how to take it, and knew exactly where to order it. At Emory, I have to tell the nurses when I need the prescription increased and where to put the orders. With all that being said, I believe it is worth it to have the knowledge of the Emory doctors. One thing I love is all the doctors have a meeting to discuss your case, so you have the opinions of multiple doctors, not just one.
For my IVF I was on the highest does of Gonal F (450 IU) and Menopur (150 IU). I ended up stimulating for 12 days, and we used Ganirelix for 5. This produced 12 follicles (almost twice the amount of my first IVF) and we got 9 eggs. Out of the 9 eggs, we got 7 embryos. After the retrieval, I began 2 estrogen patches (changed every other day) and 1mL Progesterone shot. We ended up transferring 2 fresh embryos on day 3, and freezing 4 embryos (one embryo did not make it to day 3). We decided to do this since there is so much attrition between day 3 and 5, and we really wanted some to freeze. We are now preparing for a Frozen transfer. All my meds have been increased. I will be building up to 4 estrogen patches before the transfer. We will also do 3 days of Ganirelix. After the transfer, we will continue the estrogen patches, 2mL Progesterone shot, and 3 progesterone tablets. Hopefully we will get a good result this time. This will be our first frozen transfer.
I have good insurance, so my monitoring and medicine was covered. We purchased a plan through Emory that included IVF and 1 FET. This was approximately $14k. We also did ICSI ($1.5k) and Assisted Embryo Hatching ($1.5). My meds were just a $300 co-pay.
Dr. Kawwass, like most doctors, opts for a single embryo transfer. The only reason we did two was my previous two embryo transfer failed, and the fact we did a day 3 versus day 5 transfer. We will be unfreezing 2 embryos for the frozen transfer in case one does not make it.

2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
The clinic's [Emory] strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic's strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
I was definitely treated like a human. Everyone has excellent bedside manner. Dr. Spencer was WONDERFUL!!! She even spoke with my husband about his health (smoking) and how important it is for the fertility process as well as his overall health. She was very informative and took great care of me!
The nursing staff was very supportive and helpful. They would always give encouraging words and tell me they are praying for me. They give the best hugs! They were very informative and if they didn't know they would definitely find out the info I needed.
Dr. Spencer was a great choice for a doctor. I loved her bedside manner and how she explained everything thoroughly. She is a really good doctor and really cares for her patients! She would run all the proper test on me. Nurses would call me the very next day to give me the results.
Along with Dr. Spencer, you will meet with students, but all of the students I met with were just as nice and explained everything thoroughly. If there was something that they could not answer, they would go and get her and she would speak with me directly if necessary.
I took clomid 50 mg, Ovidrel 250 mcg/0.5ml, Gonal-F and Prometrium 200mg. If I can remember correctly, I took clomid starting on day 3 for 5 days. I had to give myself the Ovidrel shot (I don't remember on what day). I had to go in on day 12 to get an ultrasound and they called me to tell me when to do the trigger shot (Gonal-F). Then after that, I had to come in for insemination. Then starting 2 days afterwards, I had to insert the Prometrium pills 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Take a pregnancy test on the 15 day.
My health insurance covered 50% of IUI so they allowed me to pay later. The finance department was great to deal with and didn't treat me like a number either. So one IUI was $300 and the prescriptions were $80 each time. I had Humana.

2012 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing...At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly)...The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls.
2012 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The only true weakness I can think of is financial/billing. I did not feel like the people who handle the financial end of things were equipped to explain my bills to me or deal with insurance issues. Luckily Emory Hospital's billing department handles all of it in the end, but I wish the Clinic itself had a stronger financial team. On top of that, it's not a lavish place! It's a teaching hospital and so it's bare bones (none of the spa like atmosphere at the private clinics) -- but I'll take that with high quality services over all the bells and whistles of a so-so clinic.
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Spencer. She always knew my complete medical history -- even from before I came to Emory. She was willing to have long conversations (1-2 hours!) to help me figure out what my next steps should be during cycles as well as after failed cycles. She seemed to truly understand the stress involved in IVF and would help me weigh emotional, practical and financial factors in making decisions. Whenever I had a failed cycle she would call and tell me how sorry she was -- and she seemed to be almost as upset as I was, which made me feel like she really cared. I also appreciated that she was constantly bringing in new research that might impact my particular situation. Not once did I feel like I was "a number" or that I was just being given generic advice/protocols.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing. At a prior clinic every time I had a question about a drug or the protocol the nurse would have to go ask the doctor and then just repeat what the doctor said without really explaining. At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly). I should've been an expert on this given I was at it for so long, but still called them constantly with questions and concerns. The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls. On my last positive pregnancy test a bunch of the nurses and staff gathered in the room to all call me and tell me the news. I couldn't stop crying. They really make you feel cared for.
There are so many positives about Dr. Spencer -- let me list them: -She is up to date on the latest research - explaining every study and how much stock I should take in it given the population in the study, the size of the study, etc. -I NEVER felt rushed. I had multiple 2.5 hour meetings with her and not once did she say, "I need to get to another patient." -She would explain all the options - and they were often complicated with many unknowns given the research is so inconclusive. If I really couldn't decide what to do, she'd say "if you were my sister, I'd say x." She was taking into account the medical, financial and emotional aspects of my decision. -If I wanted to talk with her, the nurses/staff would get the message to her and she'd call me. She was always available when I needed her. -She is "real." She didn't take on a medical/defensive persona. When things didn't work out she would say she was sorry and hug me and we'd walk through the protocol and what she might have done differently and could do differently if I wanted to try again. She is crazy empathetic. I have no idea how she is so empathetic given all the patients and how often the news is negative -- she is a very strong person! -The only negative and it's not even a negative, is that she couldn't do all my procedures. But over 5 years and more than 20 procedures that cannot be timed to a certain day, there's no way a doctor could do that.
If you've had an experience at another clinic, share that. And explain all your concerns, hopes and fears. She's really good at addressing all of that and isn't afraid to go into the details on anything.
For all of my cycles with Dr. Spencer I used an antagonist protocol. With a prior clinic they had me on a micro-dose flare that was timed with birth control. Dr. Spencer was worried the birth control was making it to hard for my ovaries to recover from the suppression of birth control and so we used natural timing for every retrieval. I also used Ganarelix before the my cycle started to help prevent a leading follicle. I was on the highest dose of Bravelle (later Gonl-F) and Menopur for all retrievals. A few times we added in human growth hormone but on the last (and successful) cycle we dropped it b/c we didn't think it was doing enough to outweigh the high costs. I was also taking DHEA and CoQ10 for my last 4 cycles. (Dr. Spencer shared that there is no evidence that CoQ10 has a positive impact on human eggs but that it wouldn't hurt anything so if I wanted to take it I should go ahead). On many cycles we weighed the pros and cons of PGD. We did it for 2 cycles mainly as a way to reduce the chances of miscarriage given I had had many. The last, successful cycle we decided to change up everything - still an antagonist protocol, but we didn't do PGD (we started getting concerns that the biopsy, freeze and thaw could do damage to the embryo and so agreed to risk the miscarriage), and we did a clomid-antagonist cycle. So I did clomid for the first 7 (?) days of the cycle and then started with the injections. We did a Day 3 transfer (I had a couple of experiences where embryos did not survive until Day 5). On this last one the embryologist came out to see us right after the retrieval and asked to NOT do ICSI as we had done 7 times before. I had some eggs not quite mature and she wanted to give them the extra 24 hours to mature by just letting the sperm find the eggs in the petri dish, rather than do ICSI and "arrest" development and potentially lost an egg because it wasn't mature.
I had great insurance that covered almost all of my meds and 80% of procedures once I met deductible. I probably spent around $2k per cycle when you average everything out.
Given my low ovarian reserve and age (I was getting 4-6 eggs...and we presumed most were abnormal), I was thankful that Dr. Spencer was willing to transfer multiple embryos. Usually I transferred 2-3 embryos b/c that was all that I had but the last two times I transferred 4. She would walk through the risks with me and it was my decision in the end.

IVF, Donor Eggs
It is clean [at Emory], the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It is clean, the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
Dr. Kawwass is a wonderful physician. She took the time to explain our treatment plan and options available to us. She personally called me multiple times to discuss our treatment plans. She understands the emotional toll IVF takes on a couple and I could tell that she genuinely cared about our feelings during the IVF process. It is rare to find a physician that is so incredibly smart/up to date and who also has a wonderful bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa )
Lutissa is amazing! She is so responsive on the patient portal. I knew that if I wrote her she would get back to me within 24 hours (most of the time I had a response in a couple of hours). She gives very clear instructions and is incredibly knowledgable about treatment protocols. I knew that I was in good hands with her and she had excellent communication skills.
I cannot say enough about how much my husband and I have enjoyed working with Dr. Kawwass. She always took the time to explain to us our treatment options and probability of success. We were always seen on time for our appointments, which is important if you have a busy work schedule. She is readily reachable via the patient portal, a phone call to the clinic, and through her nurse.
Trust her! She is up to date on the IVF literature and incredibly smart. She will not suggest something unless she thinks there is a reason to do so.
We had a hard time getting the lining of my uterus thick enough for transfer. We tried different estrogen combinations to thicken up my lining. I liked that the clinic adjusted my medications when I was not having success with the original protocol.
Approximately 27K for a fresh donor egg cycle plus 1 FET cycle. 27K included the contact I purchased through ARC and the donor's medication
Atlanta

The [Emory] clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation...
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation. Because of that I was never billed during the process and received a call from Emory's billing department demanding payment. I had inquired to the nurses and the financial consultant for the office during my visits and they assured me someone would contact to schedule payment or financing options. That never happened so I ended up having to take care of everything in a rushed manner to avoid getting sent to a collection agency. This aspect would be the weakest area for the office. I don't believe the business manager runs a very tight ship in that regard. Had I known, I would have called the financing company on my own and made arrangements during my cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
She made time to meet and speak with me before beginning a new cycle. She'd stop and say hello and ask how things were going when I was in the office and she would pass by. Dr. Bowling called me directly, not a nurse, to let me know about my positive pregnancy test.
I always knew I'd hear from a nurse later in the day. If I had any questions I could call the office and a nurse would return my call by the end of the day. I could also message them online via Emory Portal and my emails were always responded to by the end of day.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Bowling added a personal touch to her treatment. I felt like she really cared about our success and was patient and caring when we met and I would share concerns and become emotional from past experiences. She also performed a hysteroscopy and walked me to the operating room. She met with my husband and provided a full explanation of her findings as well. She went above and beyond my expectations for providing a personal, yet very professional, consultation and service throughout the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Schedule an appointment to meet with her before beginning the process. She is kind and willing to discuss the entire process and answer any questions you may have. I'd also find out what her on-call schedule is so you can make sure she's available when scheduling the retrieval/transfer. The dates and timing are very dependent on the timing of the cycle but it's good to know ahead of time. If she's not scheduled to provide transfers/retrievals the day you're scheduled one of her colleagues will be there and they're all really great as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I financed a fresh cycle with frozen and ICSI for around $11,000. My insurance covers labs so I didn't need to include those in my loan.
Meaghan Bowling
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center.

[At Emory] For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse...
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. As a whole the nursing staff is not as educated or experienced in fertility medicine as the other clinic (GRS) I utilized. It didn't seem like the nurses had a specialty, per se, in fertility medicine which gave me pause and I ended up second guessing their directions. The Emory doctors, however, are amazing and the primary reason why I chose to receive treatment at the clinic. They seem to be some of the best and brightest minds in the field and also are emotionally invested in outcomes.
After being diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I had four IUI's and two IVF egg retrievals with three embryo transfers performed at Emory Reproductive Center over the course of the last 1.5 years. None of the procedures resulted in a pregnancy. My primary doctor was Jennifer Kawwass. I chose to receive care from Emory because of their overall level of education and expertise compared to other clinics in the Atlanta area. Not only do you receive attention from some of the most highly qualified specialists in the country, but you also work with doctors doing fellowships who are young, bright, eager and up-to-date on the latest research. Between IUI's and IVF I went to GRS to receive IVF treatment (which didn't lead to pregnancy either) because I wanted to try somewhere new and different. But, I ended up going back to Emory because I felt that the doctors were smarter and more invested in my success. When treatments failed, I felt like they were experiencing the failure with me. The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. But, for me, I decided I was ok dealing with them because at the end of the day what mattered most was the decisions my doctors made and the quality of the procedures I received from medical staff. Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
For my second retrieval I was able to pick which nurse I wanted to work with. I chose Helen because I had previously met her and liked her style. For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse. There are other nursing staff at Emory that are not as helpful as Helen, but I did my best to avoid interacting with them and was mostly successful with this.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me. She wants you to succeed and is open to trying new approaches as treatments progress.
Jennifer Kawwass, and other Emory Reproductive Center doctors, seem conservative with their protocol for deciding how many embryos to transfer. I don't know this from personal experience, but have heard from friends of similar age and medical issues that there was more risk for multiples taken on during their treatments. I was only allowed to transfer two day 5 embryos after my second retrieval and two failed transfers. I have multiple friends who did two day 5 embryos (some even PGS screened) on their first retrieval and transfer.
I did two retrievals with the same approach. Both utilized Lupron to suppress my ovaries and I stimulated egg production with Follistim AQ and Menopur. This worked very well and I had an excellent response both times. I was very, very happy with the egg retrieval outcome specifically, which created about 20 each time. At a different clinic (GRS) where I also did a retrieval, I had a different protocol that was much less successful. The unsuccessful protocol was Cetrotide to suppress ovaries with Menopur and Bravelle to stimulate egg production. On this protocol I grew a lead follicle that kept the others from maturing. I only got six eggs from that retrieval.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic staff [Emory U Reproductive Ctr] is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic staff is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard. Or at least it was when I last had treatment here. That can be inconvenient if you need to get an appointment as soon as possible.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and warm in her interactions with us. She thoroughly explained the process and went over our chances with each method. She didn’t talk down to us or made us feel uncomfortable. Nor did she make the practice feel like they were only there to take our money. They left decisions up to us and educated us on our options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lois)
Overall the nursing staff was great. They all were very helpful and answered questions when I had them.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and great at educating us on our issues, options and risks. We felt confident that we were getting quality care from an educator that truly wanted to help us opposed to someone that was more interested in profit and hitting the highest numbers.
Be patient. This is a stressful process. But also ask as many questions needed. They have an online portal and you can email the staff and doctors your questions at any time. Very responsive.
We were given the option of IUI or going straight to IVF. Since I didn’t want to be too aggressive in treatment just yet, figured IUI would be the best route. I do have endometriosis and should have just jumped into IVF. But Dr. Kawwass allowed us to be empowered in making our own decision yet while at the same time sharing our potential chances with the methods. We didn’t feel pressured which helped a lot. After IUI did not work, we went with IVF and treatment was not adjusted too much from what was planned.
It’s nice that you had a set appointment time. But tough when it’s only during certain hours. The patient has to be flexible.
Very reasonable. I have a friend who went through IVF same time I did and she was at another clinic. I learned she paid a lot more than I did and she was shocked how expensive her clinic was. Also fortunate that my insurance also covered the ultrasounds.
Reasoning was justified due to my age and endometriosis.
Atlanta

She [Dr Jennifer Kawwass] is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Some difficult things about Emory are getting there, parking, and PAYING FOR PARKING, and hoofing it to the 18th floor. The great thing is, everyone there is super great about you being late for appts, because, Atlanta.
During our consult to begin IVF, Jennifer said something like, "because this is so emotionally charged"... it was then I began crying, BECAUSE THIS IS. I love that she acknowledged that and kept that in mind as she walked us through the entire process. She is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa Parker)
Lutissa was really wonderful, calm, reassuring, and knowledgeable.
Oh, man! I provided specific examples in my previous narrative.
I don't have anything bad to say. Dr. Kawwass is an excellent, competent, compassionate physician, who ALSO has a sense of humor! I forgot to add that previously.
I don't remember the KIND of protocol we used with IVF/ICSI. I do remember that I was on the max doses of Follistim and Menopur, twice a day. When I did research online of other women with DOR, I noticed that my protool was very conservative and aggressive. We got 8 eggs, and 4 embryos, one transferred on day 5 resulting in a baby girl born in April 2016. Update From My Clinic: "You were on a maximum dose standard down regulation lupron protocol. (Lupron, FSH 225 twice a day and menopur 75 twice a day). We chose this protocol because of your diminished ovarian reserve - we anticipated that you would need a high dose."
I believe a fresh cycle costs 14, 500k.

5 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
Weaknesses: Emory's billing department, front desk management, and nurses lack of communication and not knowing which patient you are and mixing up important, details regarding appointments and medication...The nursing staff was nice...they messed up our appointments multiple times, and gave us wrong information about the medications I was supposed to take and when...Beware of Emory and their lack of communication
5 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths: Dr. Spencer is a good doctor and her interns/fellow were fantastic! Weaknesses: Emory's billing department, front desk management, and nurses lack of communication and not knowing which patient you are and mixing up important, details regarding appointments and medication.
Dr. Spencer was wonderful. She made sure to give details on what was going one, why she chose the meds she did, and what she thought our outcome would be. The reason we left her practice was due to other issues dealing with Emory.
The nursing staff was nice. However, they never remembered our names (I can sort of understand this, there are a lot of patients), they messed up our appointments multiple times, and gave us wrong information about the medications I was supposed to take and when. A few times, I had to call Dr. Spencer personally to get correct information. Very frustrating.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
As stated before, Dr. Spencer always made me feel welcomed. She was polite, courteous, gentle, and always showed compassion. Her staff also were wonderful to deal with. My experience overall with her as a doctor was positive.
Beware of Emory and their lack of communication, lack of billing communication, and nurses not always knowing what medicines you are prescribed.
When seeing Dr. Spencer, I was undergoing IUIs. From what I can recall, I was on Clomid, Clomid's sister drug, but can't remember the other medicines prescribed. I also can't remember much about the protocols. It was a couple of years ago and I have moved past this experience.
I do not remember the costs.
Just that when the doctor thinks it right to transfer two, go with it.

Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
All of the nurses [at Emory] are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.... There was only one instance when the nurse contacted me to have tests performed that I had already completed earlier in the month. It seemed as if she and the doctor and on call team from the weekends had not been communicating about my case.
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is strong in research, IVF and availability. They are able to get a substantial number of patients pregnant through treatment cycles. They are weak in availability sometimes on the weekends.
She cared about my personal journey, getting to know both my husband and I and our goals and desires.
All of the nurses are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire. She is there when you need her. She helps you get through the tough times and celebrate the victories.
Come prepared with questions, goals and objectives. She is open and honest and will answer all of your questions to the best of her ability.
Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too. Now we are in the process of proceeding with IVF since four IUIs did not result in pregnancy.
My insurance does not cover most infertility costs so medications were not covered but ultrasounds and IUIs were. I had to pay for all medications and any other things that were part of the IVF process
Dr. Kawwass is very clear about the need for eSET and recommends it avidly throughout your care.
Atlanta

[Emory] Strengths: cheaper than other clinics. Easily reachable Weaknesses: not always organized...Helen was my main nurse but others would sometimes call. Helen was always very encouraging...Medications sent to discount pharmacy so much cheaper than imagined. Injectibles ranged from $85-$270. IUI procedure around $700 Ultrasounds and visits covered by insurance...Dr. Hipp is always very quick to respond to questions and remembers personal details of life
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp reached out to me each time I had questions. She personally called to check on me after my D&C. After losing our baby before my birthday she made sure to be extremely kind and encouraged me to still have a good birthday. After we were in a car accident which I briefly mentioned she reached out to me to check in on us
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Never be afraid to email her questions
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We began seeing Dr Hipp after a miscarriage from an IUI. She encouraged us to do an IUI again with metformin, follistim , and ovidrel and switched me to letrozole. I was then placed on progesterone suppositories and baby aspirin after the procedure. I am now on progesterone oil injections of 1ml
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.

What I like about Emory is that they were up front with the costs. I was not left in the dark not know what my bill would be. The only issue I had was waiting to get labs done, this took a very looooong time as the waiting area was always jam packed ... Emory clinic's approach is to do eSet ... The nurses were always nice and patient. They would always come back and reitierate what the doctor had gone over and also answer any additional questions
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The instructions I was given was specific to me and not generic. The fact that I have endometriosis was taken into consideration
She thoroughly went over my history with me to determine the best course of action. She let me know the chances of doing the IUI successfully were slim due to the fact that I have endometriosis. She let me know that IVF would probably be best to do but due to the cost I decided to try out the IUI
Be patient and ask questions if things are not clear.
I was initially given Clomid but I asked for it to be changed to Femara due reviews of it not working for Endo patients. I believe I was also prescribed Follistism, can't remember what else.
Total cost was about $4000. This was for consultation, full panel bloodwork, IUI
Emory clinic's approach is to do eSet
Atlanta

There are long waits. You have to pay for parking after a short period, you do not see your doctor often. The reception staff [Emory University Reproductive Center] is not always discreet. The ultrasound technicians sometimes spoke before they should have, worrying me unnecessarily. There is free coffee/tea in the waiting room. ... I believe each IUI was around $1,000. ... It would have been nice to see the same nurses consistently, but they did a good job.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
There are long waits. You have to pay for parking after a short period, you do not see your doctor often. The reception staff is not always discreet. The ultrasound technicians sometimes spoke before they should have, worrying me unnecessarily. There is free coffee/tea in the waiting room.
She took the time to talk to us when formulating a plan, but we did not see her often.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
She did a great job of explaining the process and answering our questions, and setting our plan. We did not see her very often though. She did not perform any of the check ups, just some of the procedures, and the initial consultations.
Write down your list of questions so you don't forget anything
I don't remember specifics, but I know that she adjusted my clomid with each attempt.
I believe each IUI was around $1,000.
We did not end up needing IVF, but during the consultation, she explained that she wanted to transfer a single embryo to reduce the risk of multiples.

1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
[The nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center was] Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up...Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better...She [Dr. Heather Hipp] always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Compassion concern always followed up and very polite caring. Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better. I had a overal experience
Very welcoming cared about very involved in my care. Very compassionate very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Unlnown)
Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up
Amazing communicator always went above and beyond to call and commmnicate results and info that may not have been clear always called to reassure me the process she was very compassionate and caring thru the entire process
Be optimistic and and remain stress free
She always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I wish we could of done mutiple to increase my chances of pregnancy to a vapid having to do the process again. Although my doctor was concerned with my health and the pregnancy I wish it was note that could be done with embryo selection or a better choice
Atlanta

[Emory is] Small, but state of the art facilities. Very professional, prompt responses to any questions and appointment calls. Clean. Privacy honored. Ideally located in midtown. Always available to answer questions... Nurse was more pen and paper based than electronic. All staff was always friendly, helpful, professional, and seemed to know what they were doing
South Asian, Middle Eastern
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Very supportive and understanding, Dr and staff
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen Battiste)
Dr. Hipp explained all possibilities thoroughly, and when things didn't go as planned, she took time to call in person to relay news and discuss possible solutions moving forward. Reviewed messages and answered those addressed directly to her, and answered very thoroughly.
Be honest and relay all your concerns from the beginning
They let us choose while also giving their professional opinion
Atlanta

Clinic is quite neat and well maintained but is located in a sky scraper, the elevator of which is very annoying. The place is more expensive than other places so unless one is covered by Insurance one should look for other places... 840 for IUI... Dr. Kawwass is good communicator and has warm bedside manners. She did explain the issue at hand and specified the risk associated with the process. Getting an appointment with the doctor is tough as she is quite busy.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Her words were encouraging and she tried to calm me as well as explain the issue at hand.
Ask Dr. Kawwass to perform the procedure herself rather than giving it to some nurse
Clomid 24 Hr prior to process Injection in the stomach IUI
840 for IUI
Atlanta

I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process [at Emory University Reproductive Center]...The nursing staff made me feel so comfortable and helped me in anyway they could...The clinic was very easy to work with as well as to access the needed information. The front office staff was friendly and helpful and made me feel comfortable every time I came in. They helped me get through such a hard time. I have already referred several friends to the clinic.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process.
Dr. Kawwass was wodnderful, she explained everything to my husband and I. She took the time to ask how we were and to discuss everything I wanted to know. We could call or message her with all questions.
Don’t feel embarrassed to ask, she’s there to help you.

1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Test that would have ascertained if I had PCOS was not run. I also was hospitalized due to hyper stimulation in fertility process but was watched carefully.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Sarah Berga
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sarah Berga at Emory University Reproductive Center.

This isn’t specific to Dr. Hipp, but more to Emory that it is a teaching hospital for some things you may see Doctors completing residency or they may shadow Dr. Hipp. This was never an issue for me as I knew they were treating me based on actual research.... Due to insurance they required 6 failed IUI’s before they would cover any IVF treatment, even though the odds of them working was very low. After the 6 failed IUI’s I completed 1 round of IVF and transferred 1 frozen embryo.
I previously went to a fertility clinic and met with a physician that never answered questions then pushed me off to another room with a folder that included pricing hidden in the back without any plan. I left that facility with more questions then when I arrived. I then found Dr. Hipp at Emory and the first time going to the office everyone was so inviting and kind as was Dr. Hipp. She answered all of mine and my husbands questions and was very detailed of what to expect and provided a treatment plan. Her and the staff were always accessible if we had questions. Everyone was respectful and caring at Emory and I am great full for them.
Dr. Hipp is amazing from the first appointment to the last. She was very thorough on what to expect as well as a treatment plan and always willing to answer questions. We some hiccups in treatment, insurance reasons, and she adjusted our treatment so that we would achieve the ultimate goal.
Heather Hipp

Overall, clinic [Emory University] is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.... She [Dr. Heather Hipp] is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Overall, clinic is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.
She is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through.
She is very sweet, and if I can't get a hold of the dr, she is quick to respond.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
We have only been seeing her for a couple of months, but our first visit with her we already knew that she was going to be the dr we choose. She truly shows how much she cares, and puts everything into the end goal, which is to get a successful pregnancy.
Still undergoing that process...
We advised us that it would be best to only transfer one at a time. This would benefit from health risks as well as multiples.