Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-778-3401
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Emory University Reproductive Center to a friend?

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
She [Dr. Kawwass] always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all...After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant.
[The nurses at FCI were] Super responsive. I always got call backs and replies on the patient portal to my messages within 1-2 hours. It was really amazing to be treated so well!...Excellent clinic. Easy to get in for appointments quickly, and very quick turnaround times. The clinic staff all communicate really well and I always felt like I was in the best hands. The clinic location is great, new, clean and top notch...team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass was incredible. She always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all. I never felt like she was rushed and needed to move on. She also really took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I appreciated. One thing I really valued about her was that she really knows the medical literature and studies really well, and for someone like me that really likes that evidence, she was an amazing doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Write down your questions in advance - she will go through each one of them with you and it was always really helpful to have handy during my visits with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass and the team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Kawwass had a lot of great recommendations for me, and while many of them were minor "tweaks" in my care, it resulted in a positive outcome. After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant. She also had recommendations for just two supplements that had shown some effectiveness (many others she said were a waste of money and did not work), so I took these two to help improve egg quality prior to the clomid cycle. The clomid worked in the first cycle! I am 12 weeks pregnant now. Dr. Kawwass was so amazing helping to calm my nerves, as I was able to come in for almost weekly ultrasounds when I was nervous about spotting or other concerns about having another miscarriage. Overall, all of these changes to my treatment have resulted in a pregnancy that I hope to carry to term.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
My insurance covered the majority of my treatment.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass is against multiple embryo transfer because of the severe complications and health risks that multiple embryos can cause both mother and babies. I agree with this policy after she explained it to me. Though having twins sounded amazing at first after struggling with fertility, given all the current worries I have just at 12 weeks and knowing how much MORE I would worry about all the health risks of multiples, I completely understand this viewpoint as it is founded in evidence-based and scientific research.
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.

Dr. Kawwass was very attentive and listened to all of our concerns. The office staff were also very warm and friendly both in person and on the phone...listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Everything was great [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Dr.Kawwass listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. She was great at answering all of our questions and addressing our concerns.
Antagonist IVF treatment. BCP on 1st day of Menses. Baseline. labs and ultrasounds. Start Stims after period starts again. Egg retrieval. Fresh Transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Sushila)
The nursing staff were great. Sushila was my main Nurse. She would always respond to me promptly through the patient portal or would call me. If she was not in office that say Nancy or someone else would respond to my inquiries right away. She went above and beyond to communicate with the office I was using for satellite monitoring as I am in Nashville and they are in Atlanta.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was great. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Our insurance covered IVF. We did have to pay out of pocket for ICSI ,our out of pocket amounts and the patient amount for the medications
Single Embryo transfer was recommended as I was 29 yrs old at the time with no health issues.

4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Be prepared that she [Dr. Jennifer Kawwass] is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures...I only did IUIs. But my regimen was clomid and then 1 day of injection of Gonadotropins And then the trigger shot (Ovidril). This is the regimen that we used 2x and that resulted in the pregnancy. But they key was banking sperm ahead of time. Which they didn’t tell us was an option until we were getting ready for the 3rd IUI. It was very frustrating. And I asked about it because I had read online it was a possibility.
Several [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to...I wish they had told us about sperm banking sooner, also I think each doctor should have their own nurse (or maybe 2 that each take 1/2 the week) that responds to calls and portal emails. I felt like the care was very disjointed and you felt like a number. But on an individual level, I liked our doctor and a couple of the nurses that really seemed to care and remember me.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Jennifer Kawwass is very kind and has good bedside manner. I felt like she genuinely cared if we were successful or not. Even when we switched doctors she wanted us to come back and see her when we started our family. What I didn’t like was that the continuity for care for me and my husband was always different. I never felt like outside of her office people really knew who I was. And it wa s always someone different responding to emails on the portal or providing the actual care.
Be prepared that she is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures.
Dr. Kawwass was wondeful. Kind thoughtful, but always truthful. I appreciated her honesty. What I didn’t like was that for the 4 IUIs over the course of more than a year, we only saw her 3 times, the initial consult, after our miscarriage (which had complications) and then ahead of our final IUI. We did talk on the phone twice. But every time I went Fir the IUI or the MVA after the miscarriage I saw a different doctor or fellow - and none were her. Also the patient portal I felt like there was inconsistency with the nurses responding. I recommend Dr. Kawwass personally, but overall was disappointed in the overall care and service at Emory.
Several were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
That you may not see your doctor for the actual procedures. And that you need to research things yourself ahead of time to ask questions and at times advocate for yourself. I really had to push for antibiotics when I felt like I was getting an infection as a result of a miscarriage that had left behind some tissue.
It was minimal since it was just IUI and I has good insurance. I did have to follow-up repeatedly to get cost info for IVF and it only happened when we went back and had our final consultation with Dr.Kawwass - so she had set it up. The point person never responded to my personal emails or voicemails, but I know she had some family issues at that time. So I understood to some extent, but someone should have been responding on her behalf.
NA this hasn’t happened yet and is with another doctor.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.

2016 - 2019
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment....she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment.
Clinic [Emory] was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.... Nursing staff were always friendly and professional... Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature.
2016 - 2019
Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment. Even though I didn’t see her at every visit I trusted her team and knew she was consulted on the decisions around my care.
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment. I always found her very empathetic and approachable and appreciated how she never ‘dumbed things down’ when talking about my treatment plan or answering questions.
We started with letrozole only cycles to stimulate ovulation with timed intercourse. At the time both my husband and I were traveling for work so it was difficult for timing intercourse so we eventually moved to stimulation plus IUI. When that didn’t work for a few months I started an IVF cycle with injectables but I wasn’t producing enough eggs so we switched to an IUI. I got pregnant with my daughter on that cycle. When I went back to the clinic 2 years later to start trying again we did a clomid+menopur cycle and IUI and I got pregnant in that first cycle.
Nursing staff were always friendly and professional
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clinic was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.
Costs were covered by insurance so only paid $40 co pay on some visits
N/a - did not do IVf

6 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Dr. Kawwass did not perform any of our procedures, but we were aware she was consulted throughout. Our meetings with her were thorough and encouraging. When we were worried, she would always appear just to comfort us...Know that as medical director she may not be available for the day to day, but she knows her stuff and is a great team leader to help you find the best course of treatment and hopefully positive results.
The physicians and nurses [at Emory University] were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated...It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Dr. Kawwass is warm and friendly and makes an intimidating process seem manageable. She always listened and responded to our concerns however we presented them and we felt like she truly wanted us to conceive.
IUI 1-3: Letrozole - Ovidrel trigger Then HSG test. IUI 4 added Menopur for thin lining. IVF: reciprocal with wife's eggs. Me: gestational parent: Birth Control for 4 weeks, daily Lupron shots, estrogen patches. 2CC Progesterone injections daily from retrieval through 9 weeks. Prometrium suppositories 3x day through 12 weeks. We didn't ask why this protocol, but I had very few side effects and we were willing to try anything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy )
Nancy oversaw our protocol, but with the amount of ultrasounds and blood draws much of our kudos go to Amy and the other ultrasound techs for being so kind and gentle and informative.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The physicians and nurses were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated.
Because there were two people invovled, and we have seperate insurance, my IVF protocol was covered outside my $1500 copay. My wife's insurance did not have fertility coverage but she was given a discount. All in for 6 IUI and 1 IVF we spent just over $20,000 including donor sperm.
We only had 2 make it to Day 5, only one was transferred.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Only with the billing and insurance coordination side. It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
She [Dr. Hipp] is always willing to support our choices - as long as there are still options on the table. I have never felt left out of the conversation or the decisions we have made in my treatment and surgical plans... is knowledgeable, confident, and compassionate...is willing to advocate for your care to fit you and your needs - all while competently addressing the issues at hand. She is willing to look under all the rocks for possible adjustments or procedures and is willing to allow your body to work hard in its own unique time.
I have missed critical pre-op appointments with my RE [at Emory University] that were never scheduled. I have had a balloon catheter placed without prior discussion. I have had medications I wasn't ready for called in on my behalf. I have been brought in for procedures in the past despite being in the wrong phase of my cycle for the test. I've had a nurse answer a personal call whilst an ultrasound wand was inside my vagina...is a teaching environment and not all of the nurses have the same approach to sharing treatment results.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp was my personal choice having met with her for the various procedures that began my treatment. We immediately built a report. She is always willing to support our choices - as long as there are still options on the table. I have never felt left out of the conversation or the decisions we have made in my treatment and surgical plans. While still in the burgeoning years of her career, Dr. Hipp is knowledgeable, confident, and compassionate.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp is willing to advocate for your care to fit you and your needs - all while competently addressing the issues at hand. She is willing to look under all the rocks for possible adjustments or procedures and is willing to allow your body to work hard in its own unique time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp is warm and friendly. She is realistic and gentle-of-spirit - even when the subject of conversation is not the news you'd like. At one point in my treatment, Dr. Hipp called me personally to share some troubling news and immediately went to work to have my tests reevaluated so that we had plenty of options and information to work with. She is so caring and hopeful for us, with us, and is always direct without being unkind.
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We have worked hard for years combating unexplained scar tissue - pills, injections, tests, surgeries, balloon catheters - together we've thrown out the rule books and have made tremendous progress. We've had varying levels of hormones serve as roadblocks along the way and through Dr. Hipp's guidance, have corrected and been able to keep moving forward. And we haven't stopped yet - we finally got the last surgical procedure aligned with the right combination of injections, acupuncture, a proper cath... - and low and behold, my cycles even came back unassisted for the first time in years! Dr. Hipp's recommendations have been strategic and considerate of my unique circumstances. We will likely move forward with IVF in the coming weeks and I know that I am in good hands as we attempt this next phase.
ERC is a teaching environment and not all of the nurses have the same approach to sharing treatment results. As an example - follicles like mine respond very slowly - but they are responding. Some nurses see the slow response not match what is considered to be large enough to get excited about. Some tell you every detail. For me, I want and need to know that I have growth at xx size and at xx amount on each ovary - as opposed to being told there has been "no response" simply because the sizing hasn't reached the size that nurse has been trained to disclose. So, I've had to say - "Put it in my chart that I want to know every detail. You can't tell a 40-year-old woman there's 'no response' to 225 daily units of Follistim when what's really happening is 8 follicles measuring at 8s and 9s." For me, any progress is progress and I've been able to take the information and use it to determine if the cycle was still viable for IUI. So far, so good. The staff is open to making adjustments - but you have to advocate for yourself in this environment. Otherwise, the lessons tend to be more focused by-the-book.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
This clinic is a teaching environment and that is an environment I've had to make adjustments for. On occasion, I've had the ultrasound tech that is nervous or the nurse that answers her cell phone. There have been some surprises along the way. If you choose to seek treatment here, remember that it is okay to refuse to let 4 fellows in the room for your SHG or whatever heinous and scary test you may have to have run during your journey and take opportunities to share your constructive feedback. You are first and foremost!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
My insurance covers a great deal of the costs. My deductible is $2700. In 2018, my IUI medications cost me $5300 out of pocket in addition to meeting my individual deductible.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I have missed critical pre-op appointments with my RE that were never scheduled. I have had a balloon catheter placed without prior discussion. I have had medications I wasn't ready for called in on my behalf. I have been brought in for procedures in the past despite being in the wrong phase of my cycle for the test. I've had a nurse answer a personal call whilst an ultrasound wand was inside my vagina. I've had a fellow perform an SHG and endured the replacement/adjustment of the speculum 6 times - SIX....times during the procedure. I had one of my catheters removed by a male fellow that I had never met before without prior consult. It's been an adventure.
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect [to Dr. Kawass] on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time...If you're the type of person that just wants to be told what to do - she's incredible...
Emory is a teaching hospital. Be prepared to handle that. Everyone is wonderful but some are still learning and it makes for some interesting experiences. If you're not up for making room for that, this is not your clinic...sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
My surgical procedure was successful but the after care was not as aggressive as it could have been. Other procedures included hormones and other precautions to avoid the condition returning. Her communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time.
..."don't come back to me a year from now saying you're ready to try IVF"... it was a devastating appointment. Not to mention we received a call from the pharmacy to pick up shots we weren't ready to use before we even left the parking lot. We did choose to take things slow after surgery... and she may have been right on the money about our timing but it isn't just about what works on paper. Knowing now just how much IUI costs add up and contemplating IVF and what it may do to our savings, there was no way we could have afforded it then. It will be financial restrictions in the end that may keep us from building our family - which is unfair and unacceptable. That said, on that day I felt like I was in danger of ruining someone's success record instead of someone who came in ready to take part in my treatment.
Pills to bring on cycle Ultrasounds HSG and SHG Surgery to address unexplained adhesion Did not order hormone regimen or balloon cath Suggested 2 immediate rounds of IUI followed by IVF within 4 months post op
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Teaching environment often leaves a lot to be desired... the little things. And sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening. Another of the nurses told me there was "no response" because my activity didn't meet the standards on paper. This is the kind of news that can send you under a blanket for days!! You have to advocate for yourself EVERY step of the way here and that is difficult to navigate when treatments are new and the process is a mystery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Inconsistent results have been revealed. I had to insist that a note be placed in my chart that I don't care about what is "supposed" to be happening, I want to know what "is" happening and hear recommendations based on both parts of the equation. I am my own advocate and it is exhausting and somewhat scary to not really be led through the process. Some have far better bedside manner than other and that's fine. I just often feel I'm at square one every time I walk in.
Atlanta

Dr. Hipp is amazing and so educated. She made sure to explain everything so we could understand it. If there were any set backs she made sure to call in addition to the nurses. She is just wonderful and I will definitely work with her again.... Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses.
The doctors are Emory’s strength. They are some of the best in the US. I would recommend staying on top of the financial office and make sure your insurance covers meds or you will regret that! Overall, we had impeccable care....Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds....We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage
Ask as many questions as you need. Even if you feel like you are bothering them.
Dr. Hipp is very sweet. She’s like family. Hurts when you hurt, Happy when things go your way.
Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses. About 7 days in we did the Cetrotide to prevent ovulation. We did the trigger shot on day 11 if I recall and the retrieval 2 days later. We got 9 eggs, 6 were mature. In the end we had 2 make it. We did a fresh transfer with a 4AA blast which ended in a chemical. We still have one frozen that we will transfer in July.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
Helen was the one who called us with updates and told us what to do. She is very good at answering emails and calls you back the same day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds.
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage we had at the time to our prescription costs.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass is compassionate and enthusiastic. She makes the process seem routine and takes the scary out of it. She explains her diagnoses and treatments so that it can be easily understood and makes herself readily available to answer questions in a timely manner.... Dr. Kawwass is a firm believer in eSET for first timers without obvious fertility issues identified.
The clinic [Emory] is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!... I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Bring your positive attitude!
Dr. Kawwass is warm and detailed in her appointments. She is encouraging and explains everything in a way that is easy to understand. Her staff are quick to respond to communication. The only downside has been hold ups with the insurance coverage and starting treatment but since this is a newly covered service I imagine the process will improve in speed, efficiency, and know how very quickly!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
The nursing staff and care coordinator are very responsive and knowledgeable. They work quickly to keep things moving and are compassionate and caring. They always follow through with requests.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!
All of the diagnostics for infertility were covered in full by my insurance. I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.

2017 - 2019
The retrieval round [with Dr. Kawwass] was quite successful, thankfully, and we then did both PGS and PGD genetic testing, on account of a recessive genetic condition that both of us carry. Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer...She took the time to get to know us personally as well as our outlook on starting a family...is simultaneously an expert professional and a warm and empathetic human being. She takes time to get to know you and your situation and clearly presents all the relevant data and logistical information. She will give you as much detail and nuance as you indicate that you would like to here. Her only downside is can be hard to get a first appointment with her because she is very popular on account of the strengths related above!
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] are fantastic. They work together very well and, like Dr. Kawwass, are both very professional and very warm...Navigating insurance coverage, pharmacy benefits, genetic testing, and finances was the most difficult part of the retrieval stage. Dr. Kawwass and the nurses were as helpful as they could be, and I think they now have a "patient experience" coordinator to help patients jump through all of these logistical hurdles...Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer.
2017 - 2019
Dr. Kawwass is simultaneously an expert professional and a warm and empathetic human being. She takes time to get to know you and your situation and clearly presents all the relevant data and logistical information. She will give you as much detail and nuance as you indicate that you would like to here. Her only downside is can be hard to get a first appointment with her because she is very popular on account of the strengths related above!
Make an appointment with her as soon as you think you are interested in pursuing fertility treatment, in case the appointment has to be a couple of months off.
We had a case of "unexplained infertility," and she recommended that we try up to three rounds of IUIs. Though she thought IUI stood a good chance of working for us, she gave us at our first consult the outlook for IVF working at various ages so that we could factor that into our decision-making. After three IUIs didn't work, we got more information about the financing and logistics of IVF. We made some minor changes in the IUI protocols, but I don't remember the details. Since I couldn't make the many required visits to the clinic until the summer, we did two more rounds of IUIs and planned to start IVF late May if need be. The IUIs did not work for us, so we started preparing for a retrieval round in early summer 2018. Navigating insurance coverage, pharmacy benefits, genetic testing, and finances was the most difficult part of the retrieval stage. Dr. Kawwass and the nurses were as helpful as they could be, and I think they now have a "patient experience" coordinator to help patients jump through all of these logistical hurdles. (JFF also provides some counseling on this now, I think.) The retrieval round was quite successful, thankfully, and we then did both PGS and PGD genetic testing, on account of a recessive genetic condition that both of us carry. Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer. In the fall, we did a frozen transfer of one of our "good" embryos, and thankfully, the embryo implanted and I had a healthy pregnancy, leading to the birth of a healthy baby 10 months later! We thankfully have additional frozen embryos and hope to work with Dr. Kawwass and her team again.
They are fantastic. They work together very well and, like Dr. Kawwass, are both very professional and very warm.
Dr. Kawwass explained that, after embryos have "passed" PGS genetic testing, it would be irresponsible to implant more than one, as the chances of one healthy embryo implanting in a healthy uterus are very good.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr Kawwass remembers a lot about me, my job, my husband’s job, where we live. She looks me in the eyes when we speak instead of the computer and is doing everything in her power to get me pregnant. She seems to genuinely care about her patients... Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
Emory hospital is amazing, when I had my surgery to remove my hydrosalpinx, the nursing staff was outstanding and caring. I love the doctors there, even the fellows. they recently renovated the office and it looks great.
European, Black or African-American
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
In 2017 I did three cycles of IVF. One fresh and two frozen. After none resulted in a pregnancy, I knew I needed a break. Two years came and went and when I returned to the clinic she remembered everything about me and my husband.
Dr Kawwass will do anything in her power to help you get the baby you have always wanted.
Egg retrieval from only one ovary because I lost on to a dermoid cyst. Three cycles, one fresh with one embryo because I was young and healthy. Two frozen cycles with two embryos because I requested. This most recent cycle we re did all of the bloodwork and diagnostic tests. My HSG showed blocked tube resulting in a diagnosis of hydrosalpinx. This was removed and we will start a frozen cycle in one month
Michelle was my nurse in 2017 and she was wonderful. Always responded to questions quickly. Most recent staff is not as quick but they are sweet and helpful
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The costs included the monitoring-bloodwork and ultrasounds, all the medications. The frozen transfers included only the transfers
Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Our experience with [Dr.] Kawwass was magnificent. She treated our whole picture - not only our GC treatment...took the time to review what the next moves for me as a patient would be, as well as placing our sweet embryo ever so perfectly to give us our sweet baby girl who we strived for over a 5 year journey... I felt she not only listened to what I had to say, including my history and my goals, but used that information to provide her opinions regarding my care rather than letting me steer the ship, or ignore me entirely. I feel Dr. Kawwass was unique in providing me with care you don't usually see these days. She really cared.
Both Mary and Lutissa [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Care] were excellent. They were quick to respond to my many portal messages and passed messages along when needed. Mary stepped in when I needed additional care post release from ERC and I found that to be very heartwarming. She could have given me the run around, but did not, passing my message along to Dr. Kawwass when I needed to reach her.
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Kawwass was a part of the end of our journey, as our journey began a few years prior to landing in her care after transferring clinics and our original doctor leaving the practice. At first we were disappointed our doctor was leaving at such a pivotal point in our care (transfer to gestational carrier); however, after meeting Dr. Kawwass we were smitten! She was so kind, professional, empathetic and informative. She really listened to our history and provided insight into our whole picture - my care, as well as our GC. I am proud to say she will continue to be our doctor throughout our fertility journey, should/when we decide to pursue another transfer in the future.
I encourage anyone seeking fertility treatment to take an active part in their journey. Ask the questions that come to mind, and digest the information given to you fully. You have a say, and can decide what treatments you do and do not wish to take part in. The doctors, especially Kawwass, will guide you in whatever direction they feel is best based on the facts presented to them, but this is a partnership, so don't be shy to speak up if you want to explore other treatment options (fresh vs. frozen, IUI vs IVF, etc.
I have previously felt I have been treated like a number, but not by Dr. Kawwass. I felt she not only listened to what I had to say, including my history and my goals, but used that information to provide her opinions regarding my care rather than letting me steer the ship, or ignore me entirely. I feel Dr. Kawwass was unique in providing me with care you don't usually see these days. She really cared.
Again, the majority of my journey was at another clinic, with Emory reviewing records and redoing a few tests they felt needed to be updated; therefore, I cannot provide a whole picture of Emory, as I came to them with frozen embryos. I originally saw a doctor which has since left Emory. That original doctor is who did my transfer, with Kawwass picking things up once we moved onto a gestational carrier. Our experience with Kawwass was magnificent. She treated our whole picture - not only our GC treatment. Dr. Kawwass took the time to review what the next moves for me as a patient would be, as well as placing our sweet embryo ever so perfectly to give us our sweet baby girl who we strived for over a 5 year journey. Obviously, the positive outcome helped, but aside from our wonderful outcome, we found Dr. Kawwass to be thorough with incredible bedside manner. She is highly intelligent and it shows in her treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary and Lutissa)
Both Mary and Lutissa were excellent. They were quick to respond to my many portal messages and passed messages along when needed. Mary stepped in when I needed additional care post release from ERC and I found that to be very heartwarming. She could have given me the run around, but did not, passing my message along to Dr. Kawwass when I needed to reach her.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clinic's strengths are the doctors and the nurses. Their weaknesses is by far their financial team. I, like many patients I'm sure, had quite a time with their financial team, having to get the clinic's manager involved when I requested a simple financial statement showing the amounts paid and why. I was also double billed and had to go through several hoops to get this resolved, which is not something you have time to do when you are managing your gestational carrier's care.
Luckily, I had insurance that had infertility coverage; therefore, my out of pocket costs were somewhat low - thousands, rather than tens of thousands. Now, with a gestational carrier, you must pay out of pocket, which also was only thousands rather than tens of thousands when it came to the reproductive piece given we already had frozen embryos which were transferred from another clinic.
During our care, Emory transferred two embryos for our first attempt with them (third overall) and 1 embryo when transferring to our GC.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had to call to have someone share the results of our transfer with me. Again, we had two transfers with this clinic - one with me, and another with a carrier. The clinic failed to call me with my results, resulting in me calling 5 hours after my appointment because I just couldn't take the anxiety any longer. They of course said someone had to call me back. The results were negative, so I felt as though no one wanted to deliver the bad news.
Atlanta

I had a wonderful experience at Emory. From billing to scheduling to communication after hours, all of my questions were answered and needs were met. The staff is knowledgeable and they truly act as a team to support your care. ... Everyone at the clinic was wonderful, though. From fellows to phlebotomists, everyone was a cheerleader! ... I worked with Helen, primarily. She was an effective communicator, kind when answering questions, and was quick to respond.
Dr. Hipp was a compassionate, smart, kind, and generous provider. She went above and beyond when it came to communication and relationship building. She gave us data so that we could make informed decisions, but didn’t treat us like data ourselves. She offered guidance, support, and treated me like a sister. When I needed a surgery that was outside the scope of her practice, she tracked down the best surgeon in the city and consulted with him. I always felt like I had the best of the best on my team, led by Dr. Hipp.
Be honest with her about your questions and fears. No question is stupid, and no fear unwarranted.
Dr. Hipp is extremely personable, remembers details about patients’ lives that are unrelated to fertility. She recognizes that family building is time consuming and stressful, but that her patients have whole lives outside of the clinic. She understood this while being completely committed to patient success.
I worked with Helen, primarily. She was an effective communicator, kind when answering questions, and was quick to respond. Everyone at the clinic was wonderful, though. From fellows to phlebotomists, everyone was a cheerleader!
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
IUIs were about $1k with medication. Egg retrieval and embryo with icsi was about $15k. Embryo transfers were about $5k
I had a strong preference for a single embryo transfer. She supported that 100%.

2014 - 2018
Dr Jessica Spencer is an amazing Doctor. She make sure she listens to you when you have questions and concerns and also answer accurately. She doesn't rush you in and out like some doctor so. She makes sure your are satisfied with whatever you come I for. She is an incredible Doctor and I would recommend her to friends and family...She prescribed me clomid/Letrazole and told me to use it on day 3-7, then come in on day 12 for ultrasounds. The clomid/Letrazole did give me good size follicles which was awesome. I was also prescribed ovidrel to use per Doctors order.
The front desk personal [at Emory University Reproductive Center] was absolutely wonderful. She had great personality. The nurses are also awesome. They listen to whatever you have to say and also get the right answer to whatever questions you have. They treat you like family...The only problem I had with the clinic was the financial department. She hardly return your calls/email. Make sure you don't get rushed in that department because that's what they always do. Also make sure you have the necessary questions answered and also the necessary document needed to either apply for a loan or bet on financial assistant.
2014 - 2018
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I will tel them to be patient and make sure the ask all the questions needed and if they are not satisfied with the answer they should asked for in-depth answer because sometimes the doctor thinks you know everything like the terminologies that are been used during discussions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I was treaded like a human because she took her time to explain the necessary steps and procedures I will end up doing. Even tho I didn't get to see her during all my visit, she always respond to my emails when I message her. She was great.
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Shameka)
The front desk personal was absolutely wonderful. She had great personality. The nurses are also awesome. They listen to whatever you have to say and also get the right answer to whatever questions you have. They treat you like family.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
The visit is usually covered by my insurance. The only thing I had to pay for was my copay and payment for the two IUI services
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.

PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Kawwass was very thorough and communicative. She took time to make sure I understood the process and had the support I needed. I didn’t see her every visit, but she did answer all emails and checked in on me frequently. She was a great patient advocate when I went in for surgeries and procedures... Clomid, femara and combined with metformin. IUIs as progressive treatment. Not recommended more than three, as results don’t improve. Injections as last resort given percentage of success balanced with cost vs other option.
I like that it’s [Emory] a teaching clinic. Long wait times on day of appointment and schedulers frequently made errors. Make sure to confirm appointment time online. Billing is very confusing, but Tereon is helpful... Sometimes the nurse could be disorganized - sending scripts to wrong pharmacy, not including all medications or miscalendaring dosages. That made me feel like a number. However, she took the time to speak with me at length several times a week to walk through instructions and always promptly corrected any issues.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
The initial visit is overwhelming, and Dr Kawwass is straightforward, so ask as many questions as you want and she’ll take the time to go through everything.
Dr Kawwass took the time to hear my concerns and treat me as a human being. Her entire staff knew me, checked in on me and became my support system. Dr Kawwass always answered my emails and took the time I needed to answer all questions. She showed genuine care for me.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I like that it’s a teaching clinic. Long wait times on day of appointment and schedulers frequently made errors. Make sure to confirm appointment time online. Billing is very confusing, but Tereon is helpful.
16k for retrieval and two transfers.
Preference for single transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Most had to do with missing prescriptions or using the wrong dates on the calendar. It did lead me to double check everything.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Spencer is always open and available to listen to my concerns and make necessary changes to my protocol after listening to me. For example, the last doctor that treated me never listened to my concerns about how the medications affected me in a major way. The meds would cause me not to ovulate properly and so when I finally went to Dr. Spencer, I informed her about this situation and she listened and made adjustments to my meds and protocol. I was sooooo happy she listened because after the medication changes I got pregnant, but it ended in a miscarriage that wasn’t Dr.Spencer’s fault. If I was ever uncomfortable during a procedure, she would even hold my hand and calm me down. I am very satisfied as a patient at Emory. Its more than excellent. Dr. Spencer is professional, patient, and kind. She takes the time to explain my care fully and also asks if I understand, if not, she fully explains until I get it. She gives me the time I need to make sound decisions and never pushy. Again, I can’t stress enough about how awesome my experience is every single time I go in for a visit at Emory with Dr. Spencer.
I would say to not be afraid to talk to Dr.Spencer. i would tell someone to let their guard down and just be open-minded and listen because ahe gives good advice and won’t lead you astray. I’d also advise them that they should set-up one on one appointments with her often to get more time to talk to her.
I was treated extremely well like a human by Dr. Spencer and her nurse staff. Emory Reproductive has a portal where you can sign-in on a computer and/or mobile device and directly contact their staff and Dr.Spencer at any single given time. This direct communication gave me a sense of security that I have always wanted from any medical doctor and facility. If I ever had a problem with my perscription, appointment dates or times, bleeding heavily, or aches and pains.... Someone was available and rady to answer my call or questions 24/7 and 365. I have never had such a caring staff and medical doctor ever before. Dr. Spencer listens to my concerns and even gives me personal advice on my medical treatment and orther situations, for example, I wanted to stop treatment, but she knew that I was just having a hard time since my embryo transfers kept failing. Dr. Spencer would give me tge mkat encouraging, sweet, and motivational speeches that would lift my spirits and help me to contine the fertility cycles. She is a very personable and lovable person and I’ll forever appreciate her and how she cares for her patients like me. She also rescheduled and made changes to her own personal schedule to make sure she is in the office to do my treatments since I have been so scared to let another doctor treat me. She is so awesome!
The long lupron protocol was done on my last cycle. I started tge lupron shots approximately 6 or 7 days before my expected period. I also would place on estradiol patches daily. Once monitored by my ultrasound shows my follicles have matured, then it was time to move into the final process. Secondly, Dr. Spencer found that I can ovulate perfectly on my own and that I would only need to do a natural FET. So we wait until my cycle came on and on a certain day of my cycle I go in for and ultrasound and look at my follicles. After they get to a certain point I have a Ovadriel trigger shot. Four days after I have a embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Anderson)
The nursing staff is absolutely amazing and always on top of my care. They are always prompt in responses about my kab results as well. If I have a question or concern, they always tell me that they would first consult with my doctor. This showed that they truly care about accuracy of advice and care that was given. I don’t see any weaknesss with the staff at this moment. They always have open availabilty and I they work around my personal schedule. For example, if I want to come in earlier than my scheduled time for an appointment, the nurse always says that fine. They are very accommodating and nice. I really appreciate this because my personal schedule can be very unpredictable from week to week. Also, when I had a miscarriage, Lisa would give me a call and check on me to just see how I was feeling. This was very touching and I appreciated the concern.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic overall is very organized. The only thing I had a small problem with was getting in touch with financial advisor to speak directly yo her about my billing. But I would say that they are on top of the financial side behind the scenes, meaning they are working really hard and getting all your claims covered as faat as possible. The financial advisor is very sweet and helpful, but just a little difficult to get in contact with if you have questions. They do get back to you, but probably not as soon as you would like, but thats understandable because she handles hundreds and thousands of patients files. The front desk people are very cordial and awesome. They greet you with a smile and are very helpful if you need to anything. For example, they would hunt down a nurse or doctor if you need them right away. Overall, the clinic is great!
The cost of the ivf cycle was $12,000 and the embry transfers was $2700.
She had a string preference for the number transferred since most of them failed, so she recommended two per embryo transfer. She said my chances would be better. I had yet to get pregnant until I started treatment with Dr. Spencer and since taking her advice with the transfer of two.... I got pregnant with twins the last transfer, but they ended both as blighted ovums. So her recommendation to transfer two actually worked.
Atlanta

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.

Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire... Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too.
All of the nurses [at Emory] are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.... There was only one instance when the nurse contacted me to have tests performed that I had already completed earlier in the month. It seemed as if she and the doctor and on call team from the weekends had not been communicating about my case.
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire. She is there when you need her. She helps you get through the tough times and celebrate the victories.
Come prepared with questions, goals and objectives. She is open and honest and will answer all of your questions to the best of her ability.
She cared about my personal journey, getting to know both my husband and I and our goals and desires.
Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too. Now we are in the process of proceeding with IVF since four IUIs did not result in pregnancy.
All of the nurses are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is strong in research, IVF and availability. They are able to get a substantial number of patients pregnant through treatment cycles. They are weak in availability sometimes on the weekends.
My insurance does not cover most infertility costs so medications were not covered but ultrasounds and IUIs were. I had to pay for all medications and any other things that were part of the IVF process
Dr. Kawwass is very clear about the need for eSET and recommends it avidly throughout your care.

4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained, Other
The communication with the office (if you've been doing IVF, you know how important that is!) was fantastic, so easy, so reliable [at Emory University Reproductive Care]...Phone calls also were extremely easy, and I never felt blocked from the people I was trying to reach. I felt very well looked after, and this communication made the whole process so much easier than it might have been in such a stressful, complicated experience. I worked with three other clinics during my whole fertility experience, and before I was at Emory I was **miserable** and so so so stressed out. It was awful. Emory provided the level of professional, patient-centered care every patient deserves. I am actually working on getting involved in healthcare advocacy in my community because I can't believe how poorly I was treated in the other clinics, and I want patients to know that care like what I received at Emory is possible, and they deserve it, too!
4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained, Other
Dr. Kawwass and her entire staff were amazing. I had worked previously with two other doctors who either treated me like a number or their staff did. I was extremely stressed out and felt like I had to fight to get attention and the level of concern about my care that I expected. And then I met Dr. Kawwass. I can't imagine more patient-centered, positive, thoughtful, encouraging, professional care. She looked me in the eye, she followed through with questions, she was very empathetic, and her staff was all of those as well. The communication with the office (if you've been doing IVF, you know how important that is!) was fantastic, so easy, so reliable. I felt 100% safe in her care. I actually live quite far from Atlanta but ended up working with Dr. Kawwass because our donor lived close by, and I am so so glad I made that choice. Would recommend Dr. Kawwass (and her colleagues; I also worked a couple of times with Dr. Hipp) to anyone without reservation. That practice should be a model for all other fertility clinics.
Don't hesitate to connect with her! If you are at all questioning whether your current doctor is the right fit for you, meet Dr. Kawwass.
3 embryo transfers with donor egg. So sorry that I have forgotten my protocols, but Dr. Kawwass did make adjustments, and I think I don't remember the protocols because I trusted her judgment (not the case with my previous doctors).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Ellsworth)
My experience of IVF treatments was that communication with the staff was CRUCIAL. Nancy and the rest of the Emory team were amazing. They communicated very easily via the patient portal, which was critical for me because I was working in a fast-paced, meeting-heavy, open office, which meant I couldn't take phone calls whenever they might have come in. Emailing was key. I never felt my messages got lost -- people responded right away, and with excellent details, charts, etc. Phone calls also were extremely easy, and I never felt blocked from the people I was trying to reach. I felt very well looked after, and this communication made the whole process so much easier than it might have been in such a stressful, complicated experience. I worked with three other clinics during my whole fertility experience, and before I was at Emory I was **miserable** and so so so stressed out. It was awful. Emory provided the level of professional, patient-centered care every patient deserves. I am actually working on getting involved in healthcare advocacy in my community because I can't believe how poorly I was treated in the other clinics, and I want patients to know that care like what I received at Emory is possible, and they deserve it, too!
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I think I covered this in the other sections of my review, but I think this clinic should be a model for all other fertility clinics. I hope they are honored by their professional community for their work. And I certainly hope that many many other patients are able to receive care from these wonderful practitioners.
$35K?
I believe the clinic recommends single embryo transfer.
Atlanta

Dr Hipp was very caring and understanding of how hard this journey has been. The nursing staff and the fellows were absolutely wonderful, always compassionate and gentle. It's such an emotional process and they understand that and treated me like a real person with feelings.... She was very personal and kind. We had to switch doctors after 4 IUI because the previous Dr left the practice, which was very scary, but Dr Hipp picked right up where we left off and didn't make me repeat anything.
Clean office [Emory University Reproductive Ctr], friendly receptionists. Most appointments we're very timely, things got backed up on the weekend appointments due to short staffing I think. They have a nice TV Which is helpful for distraction when I got stressed.... I loved all of the nurses at this office!!! They were so kind and caring, always encouraging me along the way. They answered my questions via message portal in an extremely quick manner and often called me back in less than an hour when decisions needed to be made quickly. They talked me through timing/schedule options which was very helpful when I was traveling during treatment. When I got pregnant the nurse was so happy for us!
She was very personal and kind. We had to switch doctors after 4 IUI because the previous Dr left the practice, which was very scary, but Dr Hipp picked right up where we left off and didn't make me repeat anything. Treatment continued exactly as planned with the previous doctor and I really appreciated that. When we got pregnant she was so encouraging and made sure we were considering our next steps and answered our questions.
The previous doctor helped with most of the strategy (Dr McKenzie), but Dr Hipp allowed us to continue with that plan when we switched to her. We had 4 IUI with Femara and 6 previous clomid cycles. We were allowed to choose to do up to 2 more IUI cycles or change to IVF. The choice was very helpful. I took a 2 month break for emotional reasons then returned for #5 which was successful!!
OMG I loved all of the nurses at this office!!! They were so kind and caring, always encouraging me along the way. They answered my questions via message portal in an extremely quick manner and often called me back in less than an hour when decisions needed to be made quickly. They talked me through timing/schedule options which was very helpful when I was traveling during treatment. When I got pregnant the nurse was so happy for us!
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clean office, friendly receptionists. Most appointments we're very timely, things got backed up on the weekend appointments due to short staffing I think. They have a nice TV Which is helpful for distraction when I got stressed.
I paid for all IUI cycles out of pocket which was about $1500 per cycle after all bills. This was for ultrasounds, IUI and Dr bills
Atlanta

I have not gone through my treatment plan with Dr. Kawwass yet as it will not start until January, but Dr. Kawwass is definitely providing a more individualized approach to my IVY cycle than my previous doctor. She has tailored my treatment based on my previous results. She will be increasing the dosage of my stimulation as well as performing a sonohysterogram prior to the IVF cycle.... She goes above and beyond for her patients and takes the time to meet with each patient and review any questions or concerns. She is extremely knowledgeable and informative regarding all parts of the process of fertility treatment.
Again, I have not had extensive interaction with the clinic yet as I have only had my consultation and communication with nurses through the portal, but Emory truly seem like an excellent fertility clinic already. I am more hopeful and excited than I ever was with my previous clinic and that can mainly be attributed to the staff as well as the high level of care provided at Emory... About $10,000 for an IVF cycle, not including medications.
I have only been a patient with Dr. Kawwass for a brief time, but already I have seen the excellent care she provides to her patients. She goes above and beyond for her patients and takes the time to meet with each patient and review any questions or concerns. She is extremely knowledgeable and informative regarding all parts of the process of fertility treatment.
She is always open to answering all questions so do not hold back anything.
Dr. Kawwass is extremely compassionate and truly individualizes the care she provides.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa)
I have not had extensive interaction with the care team yet but thus far they have been excellent in regards to communication, especially through the patient portal. They have been extremely thorough with instructions.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
About $10,000 for an IVF cycle, not including medications.
Dr. Kawwass recommends eSET (at least in my case) for the best possible outcome and to avoid complications that twins my cause.
Atlanta

Emory uses Patient Portal so patients and doctors can communicate. All of my messages were answered in a timely manner! It’s a very convenient system. The waiting room area is quiet, clean, and modern. The front desk staff is very professional and friendly! One thing I loved about Emory is that no matter who you saw that day as you checked in, got your ultrasound or lab work completed - EVERYONE was professional and friendly. To them you’re more than your patient number, you become a part of their family and they’re there to make sure all of your questions are answered and your journey is as pleasant as possible.
I loved ERC!!! Dr. Kawwass is very knowledgeable, informative, positive, and involved throughout the process. She takes the time to answer all of your questions, and is very upfront. We went through 3 stim cycles and after the second failed she even contacted me over the weekend to see how I was doing and to give recommendations for the next cycle – which was successful! I appreciate the fact that each stim cycle was different in terms of the medication protocol that was used. I could tell the team was reviewing my chart and making adjustments based on how my body responded each time. (The last reproductive center my husband and I were at kept using the same methods each time, and didn’t bother to alter anything even though we weren’t getting any results. It made us feel like they just wanted to keep our hopes up and take our money.)
Don't expect to see her every visit; however, you're in great hands with the other staff members who will be providing you with your primary care for that particular visit, i.e. sonographers and phlebotomists. If you happen to have more questions, they're great about asking you if you'd like to speak with a Nurse before you leave. She goes into great detail about your plan of action and how the overall process works during your intake appointment. You're in great hands with Dr. Kawwass.
I felt like a human because Dr. Kawwass contacted me over the weekend after a failed stim cycle to see how I was feeling, and to give me recommendations for the next cycle. I appreciate the fact that each protocol was changed based on how my body responded each time. They weren't choosing cookie-cutter protocols. They tailored them to meet my needs.
1st Stim Cycle - 75 iu Menopur 2x's/day, 450 units Follistim 1x/day - Produced 4 eggs, 0 fertilized, 2nd Stim Cycle - 75 iu Menopur 2x's/day, 450 units Follistim 1x/day, and Lupron - Did not produce eggs large enough for retrieval 3rd Stim Cycle - Clomid, menopur, 150 units follistim, Cetrotide - Produced 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, 4 embryos
The nurses were friendly and very thorough. My husband and I went through 3 cycles, and I would recommend that patients receive new schedules for each cycle. I didn't receive one my last cycle, and didn't know I was supposed to start taking one of my medications on a certain day because I was used to the nurse telling me and I typically had a sheet to follow. It was an error on both of our parts, but it was resolved quickly - I was able to get a new calendar via the portal.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled during the morning hours so they could contact you that afternoon about your status and when you should begin taking other meds or do your trigger shot. You simply checked in and you were buzzed back within 5 or so minutes for your ultrasound. The only time the wait was longer than usual was when the computer system was on the fritz. Other than that, the staff was always efficient.
ERC offers various financial packages. It depends on how many transfers and cycles you'd like to purchase.
The process explained to us was if we did a day 5 transfer, they'd transfer 1 embryo. If we did a day 3 transfer, they'd transfer 2 embryos. We were given the option to do a day 3 or 5 transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Each cycle you receive a calendar that lists your medications, amount, and start/stop days. For my 2nd and 3rd protocol/cycle, I didn't receive one. I simply wrote on the 1st one during my 2nd cycle, and didn't think to ask for one during my 3rd cycle since everything was always communicated via phone with the Nurse. It turned out to be fine, but I did not start taking one of my medications on the day I was scheduled to start. The nurse and I resolved the issue. I simply asked for a new schedule for this cycle.
Atlanta

[Emory is] Very welcoming, friendly staff. Nice facility. It takes a 10-15 minutes to find a parking spot and travel from the parking deck to the clinic. Parking is $5. You get some parking vouchers during your IVF cycle when you're going quite often. The Emory Patient Portal makes it very easy to ask non-emergent questions of your Dr. and nurses at any time. They will reply to messages or call you after hours and on the weekends.
Very knowledgeable and passionate. I felt very comfortable and confident working with her. She communicated well and did a great job explaining the details of the procedures and processes that we underwent.
Ask any and all questions that you have. She'll answer them and put you at ease.
The IVF orientation process at the Emory Reproductive Center is very thorough. Dr. Kawwass did a great job explaining everything in a way that we could understand. She took the time to answer any questions we had and made sure we were comfortable with the entire IVF process.
Dr. Kawwass prescribed a high dose protocol for egg stimulation including Menopur and Gonal F. Since we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, she recommended that we do ICSI. My progesterone started to increase earlier than anticipated, so our retrieval was scheduled a few days earlier than anticipated. 10 eggs were retrieved, 5 were mature and only 2 fertilized. Due to only having 2 embryos, Dr. Kawwass recommended a day 2 transfer of both embryos. The Embryologist discussed the options of transferring 1 vs. 2 embryos the morning of the transfer. We decided to only transfer one and allow the other to mature to day 5 (which it did!) before freezing. After the transfer I used Estradiol patches and Progesterone shots. This IVF round was successful and I now have a 4 week old healthy baby boy!
Everyone was very compassionate, kind, and competent.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I am fortunate to have some insurance coverage for infertility and IVF services. We used the maximum amount of that benefit (I think it was $10,000). After insurance I believe we payed Emory about $13,000 plus $7,000 for medication.
Dr. Kawwass recommended we transfer both embryos since we only had 2 to increase our chances. The Embryologist discussed our options with us the morning of the transfer. My husband and I decided to only transfer one embryo and we are confident that was the correct decision for us.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Kawwass is amazing. It is clear she really loves what she does. She never rushed us and was sure to answer every question we had. She (and all the fellows) explain EVERYTHING so clearly. At all times you know exactly what they are doing, how and why they are doing it. It makes all of those invasive procedures feel better because you understand what is going on. Also, I love how knowledgeable Dr. Kawwass is in current fertility studies. The best way I can describe the kind of doctor she is, is by telling you about our failed transfer. This was our 2nd failed attempt, but first with her. The nurse from Emory called to give me the news as soon as the results came in, and told me Dr. Kawwass would call the next week (it was Friday). However, I got a call from Dr. Kawwass just to express her condolences and "send me a hug". This meant so much to me, I could tell she was truly upset by the result as well. She is so smart and compassionate if anyone is going to get me to the best end result, I believe it will be her.
[Emory Fertility's] Strengths - Doctors, Fellows, and scheduling (they are open year round, which means weekend appointments, and IVF all year). Weaknesses - They don't hold your hand as much through the medication process. Again I stress, in my opinion the strengths outweigh the weaknesses by a mile...The nurses are all very nice and compassionate. I never saw many nurses, but talk to them a lot. I was not assigned a particular nurse to I have talked to many of them. As I mentioned earlier sometimes I have to help them with where all my prescriptions go, and if I need refills.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The doctors, and fellows are fabulous; however, you have to be on top of ordering you medicine on time. This may be more of an issue for me as I am an out of state patient and have to do outside monitoring. At my previous clinic my nurses were on top of the medication, showed you how to take it, and knew exactly where to order it. At Emory, I have to tell the nurses when I need the prescription increased and where to put the orders. With all that being said, I believe it is worth it to have the knowledge of the Emory doctors. One thing I love is all the doctors have a meeting to discuss your case, so you have the opinions of multiple doctors, not just one.
Emory is the second clinic we have gone to, but we visited 4 clinics total. From the first minute we met Dr. Kawwass she felt like a friend, not just a doctor. It was very clear she wanted us to have a baby, not just gain a new patient. Also, the waiting room is never full (like most private clinics), and I have never waited more than 10 minutes from my appointment time (usually they pull me back early).
For my IVF I was on the highest does of Gonal F (450 IU) and Menopur (150 IU). I ended up stimulating for 12 days, and we used Ganirelix for 5. This produced 12 follicles (almost twice the amount of my first IVF) and we got 9 eggs. Out of the 9 eggs, we got 7 embryos. After the retrieval, I began 2 estrogen patches (changed every other day) and 1mL Progesterone shot. We ended up transferring 2 fresh embryos on day 3, and freezing 4 embryos (one embryo did not make it to day 3). We decided to do this since there is so much attrition between day 3 and 5, and we really wanted some to freeze. We are now preparing for a Frozen transfer. All my meds have been increased. I will be building up to 4 estrogen patches before the transfer. We will also do 3 days of Ganirelix. After the transfer, we will continue the estrogen patches, 2mL Progesterone shot, and 3 progesterone tablets. Hopefully we will get a good result this time. This will be our first frozen transfer.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I have good insurance, so my monitoring and medicine was covered. We purchased a plan through Emory that included IVF and 1 FET. This was approximately $14k. We also did ICSI ($1.5k) and Assisted Embryo Hatching ($1.5). My meds were just a $300 co-pay.
Dr. Kawwass, like most doctors, opts for a single embryo transfer. The only reason we did two was my previous two embryo transfer failed, and the fact we did a day 3 versus day 5 transfer. We will be unfreezing 2 embryos for the frozen transfer in case one does not make it.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
My insurance is funny so I have to order medicine from two separate pharmacies depending on the meds. Sometimes the nurses send the prescription to the wrong one, and I have to call them to resend to the right pharmacy. Also if you have to get approval from your insurance before the meds are ordered make sure the nurses know! Or else you may not get it in time.

2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained, Other
[with Dr. Spencer] I took clomid 50 mg, Ovidrel 250 mcg/0.5ml, Gonal-F and Prometrium 200mg. If I can remember correctly, I took clomid starting on day 3 for 5 days. I had to give myself the Ovidrel shot (I don't remember on what day). I had to go in on day 12 to get an ultrasound and they called me to tell me when to do the trigger shot (Gonal-F). Then after that, I had to come in for insemination. Then starting 2 days afterwards, I had to insert the Prometrium pills 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Take a pregnancy test on the 15 day.
The clinic's [Emory] strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained, Other
Dr. Spencer was a great choice for a doctor. I loved her bedside manner and how she explained everything thoroughly. She is a really good doctor and really cares for her patients! She would run all the proper test on me. Nurses would call me the very next day to give me the results.
Along with Dr. Spencer, you will meet with students, but all of the students I met with were just as nice and explained everything thoroughly. If there was something that they could not answer, they would go and get her and she would speak with me directly if necessary.
I was definitely treated like a human. Everyone has excellent bedside manner. Dr. Spencer was WONDERFUL!!! She even spoke with my husband about his health (smoking) and how important it is for the fertility process as well as his overall health. She was very informative and took great care of me!
The nursing staff was very supportive and helpful. They would always give encouraging words and tell me they are praying for me. They give the best hugs! They were very informative and if they didn't know they would definitely find out the info I needed.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic's strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
My health insurance covered 50% of IUI so they allowed me to pay later. The finance department was great to deal with and didn't treat me like a number either. So one IUI was $300 and the prescriptions were $80 each time. I had Humana.

2012 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I also appreciated that she [Dr. Jessica Spencer] was constantly bringing in new research that might impact my particular situation. Not once did I feel like I was "a number" or that I was just being given generic advice/protocols...She is up to date on the latest research - explaining every study and how much stock I should take in it given the population in the study, the size of the study, etc. -I NEVER felt rushed...-She is "real." She didn't take on a medical/defensive persona. When things didn't work out she would say she was sorry and hug me and we'd walk through the protocol and what she might have done differently and could do differently if I wanted to try again. She is crazy empathetic... I had multiple 2.5 hour meetings with her and not once did she say, "I need to get to another patient."
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing...At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly)...The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls.
2012 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
There are so many positives about Dr. Spencer -- let me list them: -She is up to date on the latest research - explaining every study and how much stock I should take in it given the population in the study, the size of the study, etc. -I NEVER felt rushed. I had multiple 2.5 hour meetings with her and not once did she say, "I need to get to another patient." -She would explain all the options - and they were often complicated with many unknowns given the research is so inconclusive. If I really couldn't decide what to do, she'd say "if you were my sister, I'd say x." She was taking into account the medical, financial and emotional aspects of my decision. -If I wanted to talk with her, the nurses/staff would get the message to her and she'd call me. She was always available when I needed her. -She is "real." She didn't take on a medical/defensive persona. When things didn't work out she would say she was sorry and hug me and we'd walk through the protocol and what she might have done differently and could do differently if I wanted to try again. She is crazy empathetic. I have no idea how she is so empathetic given all the patients and how often the news is negative -- she is a very strong person! -The only negative and it's not even a negative, is that she couldn't do all my procedures. But over 5 years and more than 20 procedures that cannot be timed to a certain day, there's no way a doctor could do that.
If you've had an experience at another clinic, share that. And explain all your concerns, hopes and fears. She's really good at addressing all of that and isn't afraid to go into the details on anything.
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Spencer. She always knew my complete medical history -- even from before I came to Emory. She was willing to have long conversations (1-2 hours!) to help me figure out what my next steps should be during cycles as well as after failed cycles. She seemed to truly understand the stress involved in IVF and would help me weigh emotional, practical and financial factors in making decisions. Whenever I had a failed cycle she would call and tell me how sorry she was -- and she seemed to be almost as upset as I was, which made me feel like she really cared. I also appreciated that she was constantly bringing in new research that might impact my particular situation. Not once did I feel like I was "a number" or that I was just being given generic advice/protocols.
For all of my cycles with Dr. Spencer I used an antagonist protocol. With a prior clinic they had me on a micro-dose flare that was timed with birth control. Dr. Spencer was worried the birth control was making it to hard for my ovaries to recover from the suppression of birth control and so we used natural timing for every retrieval. I also used Ganarelix before the my cycle started to help prevent a leading follicle. I was on the highest dose of Bravelle (later Gonl-F) and Menopur for all retrievals. A few times we added in human growth hormone but on the last (and successful) cycle we dropped it b/c we didn't think it was doing enough to outweigh the high costs. I was also taking DHEA and CoQ10 for my last 4 cycles. (Dr. Spencer shared that there is no evidence that CoQ10 has a positive impact on human eggs but that it wouldn't hurt anything so if I wanted to take it I should go ahead). On many cycles we weighed the pros and cons of PGD. We did it for 2 cycles mainly as a way to reduce the chances of miscarriage given I had had many. The last, successful cycle we decided to change up everything - still an antagonist protocol, but we didn't do PGD (we started getting concerns that the biopsy, freeze and thaw could do damage to the embryo and so agreed to risk the miscarriage), and we did a clomid-antagonist cycle. So I did clomid for the first 7 (?) days of the cycle and then started with the injections. We did a Day 3 transfer (I had a couple of experiences where embryos did not survive until Day 5). On this last one the embryologist came out to see us right after the retrieval and asked to NOT do ICSI as we had done 7 times before. I had some eggs not quite mature and she wanted to give them the extra 24 hours to mature by just letting the sperm find the eggs in the petri dish, rather than do ICSI and "arrest" development and potentially lost an egg because it wasn't mature.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing. At a prior clinic every time I had a question about a drug or the protocol the nurse would have to go ask the doctor and then just repeat what the doctor said without really explaining. At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly). I should've been an expert on this given I was at it for so long, but still called them constantly with questions and concerns. The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls. On my last positive pregnancy test a bunch of the nurses and staff gathered in the room to all call me and tell me the news. I couldn't stop crying. They really make you feel cared for.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The only true weakness I can think of is financial/billing. I did not feel like the people who handle the financial end of things were equipped to explain my bills to me or deal with insurance issues. Luckily Emory Hospital's billing department handles all of it in the end, but I wish the Clinic itself had a stronger financial team. On top of that, it's not a lavish place! It's a teaching hospital and so it's bare bones (none of the spa like atmosphere at the private clinics) -- but I'll take that with high quality services over all the bells and whistles of a so-so clinic.
I had great insurance that covered almost all of my meds and 80% of procedures once I met deductible. I probably spent around $2k per cycle when you average everything out.
Given my low ovarian reserve and age (I was getting 4-6 eggs...and we presumed most were abnormal), I was thankful that Dr. Spencer was willing to transfer multiple embryos. Usually I transferred 2-3 embryos b/c that was all that I had but the last two times I transferred 4. She would walk through the risks with me and it was my decision in the end.