7.2
7.2

550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308

2012 - 2017, Successful
I also appreciated that she [Dr. Jessica Spencer] was constantly bringing in new research that might impact my particular situation. Not once did I feel like I was "a number" or that I was just being given generic advice/protocols...She is up to date on the latest research - explaining every study and how much stock I should take in it given the population in the study, the size of the study, etc. -I NEVER felt rushed...-She is "real." She didn't take on a medical/defensive persona. When things didn't work out she would say she was sorry and hug me and we'd walk through the protocol and what she might have done differently and could do differently if I wanted to try again. She is crazy empathetic... I had multiple 2.5 hour meetings with her and not once did she say, "I need to get to another patient."
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing...At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly)...The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls.
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
There are so many positives about Dr. Spencer -- let me list them: -She is up to date on the latest research - explaining every study and how much stock I should take in it given the population in the study, the size of the study, etc. -I NEVER felt rushed. I had multiple 2.5 hour meetings with her and not once did she say, "I need to get to another patient." -She would explain all the options - and they were often complicated with many unknowns given the research is so inconclusive. If I really couldn't decide what to do, she'd say "if you were my sister, I'd say x." She was taking into account the medical, financial and emotional aspects of my decision. -If I wanted to talk with her, the nurses/staff would get the message to her and she'd call me. She was always available when I needed her. -She is "real." She didn't take on a medical/defensive persona. When things didn't work out she would say she was sorry and hug me and we'd walk through the protocol and what she might have done differently and could do differently if I wanted to try again. She is crazy empathetic. I have no idea how she is so empathetic given all the patients and how often the news is negative -- she is a very strong person! -The only negative and it's not even a negative, is that she couldn't do all my procedures. But over 5 years and more than 20 procedures that cannot be timed to a certain day, there's no way a doctor could do that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
If you've had an experience at another clinic, share that. And explain all your concerns, hopes and fears. She's really good at addressing all of that and isn't afraid to go into the details on anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Spencer. She always knew my complete medical history -- even from before I came to Emory. She was willing to have long conversations (1-2 hours!) to help me figure out what my next steps should be during cycles as well as after failed cycles. She seemed to truly understand the stress involved in IVF and would help me weigh emotional, practical and financial factors in making decisions. Whenever I had a failed cycle she would call and tell me how sorry she was -- and she seemed to be almost as upset as I was, which made me feel like she really cared. I also appreciated that she was constantly bringing in new research that might impact my particular situation. Not once did I feel like I was "a number" or that I was just being given generic advice/protocols.
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
For all of my cycles with Dr. Spencer I used an antagonist protocol. With a prior clinic they had me on a micro-dose flare that was timed with birth control. Dr. Spencer was worried the birth control was making it to hard for my ovaries to recover from the suppression of birth control and so we used natural timing for every retrieval. I also used Ganarelix before the my cycle started to help prevent a leading follicle. I was on the highest dose of Bravelle (later Gonl-F) and Menopur for all retrievals. A few times we added in human growth hormone but on the last (and successful) cycle we dropped it b/c we didn't think it was doing enough to outweigh the high costs. I was also taking DHEA and CoQ10 for my last 4 cycles. (Dr. Spencer shared that there is no evidence that CoQ10 has a positive impact on human eggs but that it wouldn't hurt anything so if I wanted to take it I should go ahead). On many cycles we weighed the pros and cons of PGD. We did it for 2 cycles mainly as a way to reduce the chances of miscarriage given I had had many. The last, successful cycle we decided to change up everything - still an antagonist protocol, but we didn't do PGD (we started getting concerns that the biopsy, freeze and thaw could do damage to the embryo and so agreed to risk the miscarriage), and we did a clomid-antagonist cycle. So I did clomid for the first 7 (?) days of the cycle and then started with the injections. We did a Day 3 transfer (I had a couple of experiences where embryos did not survive until Day 5). On this last one the embryologist came out to see us right after the retrieval and asked to NOT do ICSI as we had done 7 times before. I had some eggs not quite mature and she wanted to give them the extra 24 hours to mature by just letting the sperm find the eggs in the petri dish, rather than do ICSI and "arrest" development and potentially lost an egg because it wasn't mature.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing. At a prior clinic every time I had a question about a drug or the protocol the nurse would have to go ask the doctor and then just repeat what the doctor said without really explaining. At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly). I should've been an expert on this given I was at it for so long, but still called them constantly with questions and concerns. The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls. On my last positive pregnancy test a bunch of the nurses and staff gathered in the room to all call me and tell me the news. I couldn't stop crying. They really make you feel cared for.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The only true weakness I can think of is financial/billing. I did not feel like the people who handle the financial end of things were equipped to explain my bills to me or deal with insurance issues. Luckily Emory Hospital's billing department handles all of it in the end, but I wish the Clinic itself had a stronger financial team. On top of that, it's not a lavish place! It's a teaching hospital and so it's bare bones (none of the spa like atmosphere at the private clinics) -- but I'll take that with high quality services over all the bells and whistles of a so-so clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I had great insurance that covered almost all of my meds and 80% of procedures once I met deductible. I probably spent around $2k per cycle when you average everything out.
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Given my low ovarian reserve and age (I was getting 4-6 eggs...and we presumed most were abnormal), I was thankful that Dr. Spencer was willing to transfer multiple embryos. Usually I transferred 2-3 embryos b/c that was all that I had but the last two times I transferred 4. She would walk through the risks with me and it was my decision in the end.
2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
[with Dr. Spencer] I took clomid 50 mg, Ovidrel 250 mcg/0.5ml, Gonal-F and Prometrium 200mg. If I can remember correctly, I took clomid starting on day 3 for 5 days. I had to give myself the Ovidrel shot (I don't remember on what day). I had to go in on day 12 to get an ultrasound and they called me to tell me when to do the trigger shot (Gonal-F). Then after that, I had to come in for insemination. Then starting 2 days afterwards, I had to insert the Prometrium pills 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Take a pregnancy test on the 15 day.
The clinic's [Emory] strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
Dr. Spencer was a great choice for a doctor. I loved her bedside manner and how she explained everything thoroughly. She is a really good doctor and really cares for her patients! She would run all the proper test on me. Nurses would call me the very next day to give me the results.
Along with Dr. Spencer, you will meet with students, but all of the students I met with were just as nice and explained everything thoroughly. If there was something that they could not answer, they would go and get her and she would speak with me directly if necessary.
I was definitely treated like a human. Everyone has excellent bedside manner. Dr. Spencer was WONDERFUL!!! She even spoke with my husband about his health (smoking) and how important it is for the fertility process as well as his overall health. She was very informative and took great care of me!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
The nursing staff was very supportive and helpful. They would always give encouraging words and tell me they are praying for me. They give the best hugs! They were very informative and if they didn't know they would definitely find out the info I needed.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic's strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
My health insurance covered 50% of IUI so they allowed me to pay later. The finance department was great to deal with and didn't treat me like a number either. So one IUI was $300 and the prescriptions were $80 each time. I had Humana.
Atlanta

Dr. Bowling added a personal touch to her treatment. I felt like she really cared about our success and was patient and caring when we met and I would share concerns and become emotional from past experiences. She also performed a hysteroscopy and walked me to the operating room. She met with my husband and provided a full explanation of her findings as well. She went above and beyond my expectations for providing a personal, yet very professional, consultation and service throughout the process...
The [Emory] clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation...
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Schedule an appointment to meet with her before beginning the process. She is kind and willing to discuss the entire process and answer any questions you may have. I'd also find out what her on-call schedule is so you can make sure she's available when scheduling the retrieval/transfer. The dates and timing are very dependent on the timing of the cycle but it's good to know ahead of time. If she's not scheduled to provide transfers/retrievals the day you're scheduled one of her colleagues will be there and they're all really great as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
She made time to meet and speak with me before beginning a new cycle. She'd stop and say hello and ask how things were going when I was in the office and she would pass by. Dr. Bowling called me directly, not a nurse, to let me know about my positive pregnancy test.
I always knew I'd hear from a nurse later in the day. If I had any questions I could call the office and a nurse would return my call by the end of the day. I could also message them online via Emory Portal and my emails were always responded to by the end of day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation. Because of that I was never billed during the process and received a call from Emory's billing department demanding payment. I had inquired to the nurses and the financial consultant for the office during my visits and they assured me someone would contact to schedule payment or financing options. That never happened so I ended up having to take care of everything in a rushed manner to avoid getting sent to a collection agency. This aspect would be the weakest area for the office. I don't believe the business manager runs a very tight ship in that regard. Had I known, I would have called the financing company on my own and made arrangements during my cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I financed a fresh cycle with frozen and ICSI for around $11,000. My insurance covers labs so I didn't need to include those in my loan.
Meaghan Bowling
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass is a wonderful physician. She took the time to explain our treatment plan and options available to us. She personally called me multiple times to discuss our treatment plans. She understands the emotional toll IVF takes on a couple and I could tell that she genuinely cared about our feelings during the IVF process. It is rare to find a physician that is so incredibly smart/up to date and who also has a wonderful bedside manner...
It is clean [at Emory], the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I cannot say enough about how much my husband and I have enjoyed working with Dr. Kawwass. She always took the time to explain to us our treatment options and probability of success. We were always seen on time for our appointments, which is important if you have a busy work schedule. She is readily reachable via the patient portal, a phone call to the clinic, and through her nurse.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Trust her! She is up to date on the IVF literature and incredibly smart. She will not suggest something unless she thinks there is a reason to do so.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We had a hard time getting the lining of my uterus thick enough for transfer. We tried different estrogen combinations to thicken up my lining. I liked that the clinic adjusted my medications when I was not having success with the original protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa )
Lutissa is amazing! She is so responsive on the patient portal. I knew that if I wrote her she would get back to me within 24 hours (most of the time I had a response in a couple of hours). She gives very clear instructions and is incredibly knowledgable about treatment protocols. I knew that I was in good hands with her and she had excellent communication skills.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It is clean, the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Approximately 27K for a fresh donor egg cycle plus 1 FET cycle. 27K included the contact I purchased through ARC and the donor's medication
2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me. She wants you to succeed and is open to trying new approaches as treatments progress...
[At Emory] For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse...
Jennifer Kawwass, and other Emory Reproductive Center doctors, seem conservative with their protocol for deciding how many embryos to transfer. I don't know this from personal experience, but have heard from friends of similar age and medical issues that there was more risk for multiples taken on during their treatments. I was only allowed to transfer two day 5 embryos after my second retrieval and two failed transfers. I have multiple friends who did two day 5 embryos (some even PGS screened) on their first retrieval and transfer.
After being diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I had four IUI's and two IVF egg retrievals with three embryo transfers performed at Emory Reproductive Center over the course of the last 1.5 years. None of the procedures resulted in a pregnancy. My primary doctor was Jennifer Kawwass. I chose to receive care from Emory because of their overall level of education and expertise compared to other clinics in the Atlanta area. Not only do you receive attention from some of the most highly qualified specialists in the country, but you also work with doctors doing fellowships who are young, bright, eager and up-to-date on the latest research. Between IUI's and IVF I went to GRS to receive IVF treatment (which didn't lead to pregnancy either) because I wanted to try somewhere new and different. But, I ended up going back to Emory because I felt that the doctors were smarter and more invested in my success. When treatments failed, I felt like they were experiencing the failure with me. The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. But, for me, I decided I was ok dealing with them because at the end of the day what mattered most was the decisions my doctors made and the quality of the procedures I received from medical staff. Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me.
I did two retrievals with the same approach. Both utilized Lupron to suppress my ovaries and I stimulated egg production with Follistim AQ and Menopur. This worked very well and I had an excellent response both times. I was very, very happy with the egg retrieval outcome specifically, which created about 20 each time. At a different clinic (GRS) where I also did a retrieval, I had a different protocol that was much less successful. The unsuccessful protocol was Cetrotide to suppress ovaries with Menopur and Bravelle to stimulate egg production. On this protocol I grew a lead follicle that kept the others from maturing. I only got six eggs from that retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
For my second retrieval I was able to pick which nurse I wanted to work with. I chose Helen because I had previously met her and liked her style. For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse. There are other nursing staff at Emory that are not as helpful as Helen, but I did my best to avoid interacting with them and was mostly successful with this.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. As a whole the nursing staff is not as educated or experienced in fertility medicine as the other clinic (GRS) I utilized. It didn't seem like the nurses had a specialty, per se, in fertility medicine which gave me pause and I ended up second guessing their directions. The Emory doctors, however, are amazing and the primary reason why I chose to receive treatment at the clinic. They seem to be some of the best and brightest minds in the field and also are emotionally invested in outcomes.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Emory bureaucracy and the Reproductive Center nursing staff have weaknesses that create administrative and logistical issues during treatment. You can feel lost in the big Emory system. The nursing staff also don't seem like they are pursuing a specific specialty or have what I would consider significant years of experience in the field. There are a couple of exceptions but for the most part they came across this way to me.

2014 - 2015, Successful
She [Dr Jennifer Kawwass] is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
Oh, man! I provided specific examples in my previous narrative.
I don't have anything bad to say. Dr. Kawwass is an excellent, competent, compassionate physician, who ALSO has a sense of humor! I forgot to add that previously.
During our consult to begin IVF, Jennifer said something like, "because this is so emotionally charged"... it was then I began crying, BECAUSE THIS IS. I love that she acknowledged that and kept that in mind as she walked us through the entire process. She is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
I don't remember the KIND of protocol we used with IVF/ICSI. I do remember that I was on the max doses of Follistim and Menopur, twice a day. When I did research online of other women with DOR, I noticed that my protool was very conservative and aggressive. We got 8 eggs, and 4 embryos, one transferred on day 5 resulting in a baby girl born in April 2016. Update From My Clinic: "You were on a maximum dose standard down regulation lupron protocol. (Lupron, FSH 225 twice a day and menopur 75 twice a day). We chose this protocol because of your diminished ovarian reserve - we anticipated that you would need a high dose."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa Parker)
Lutissa was really wonderful, calm, reassuring, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Some difficult things about Emory are getting there, parking, and PAYING FOR PARKING, and hoofing it to the 18th floor. The great thing is, everyone there is super great about you being late for appts, because, Atlanta.
I believe a fresh cycle costs 14, 500k.

2015, Successful
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and warm in her interactions with us. She thoroughly explained the process and went over our chances with each method.... We were given the option of IUI or going straight to IVF. Since I didn’t want to be too aggressive in treatment just yet, figured IUI would be the best route.... Dr. Kawwass allowed us to be empowered in making our own decision yet while at the same time sharing our potential chances with the methods.
The clinic staff [Emory U Reproductive Ctr] is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and great at educating us on our issues, options and risks. We felt confident that we were getting quality care from an educator that truly wanted to help us opposed to someone that was more interested in profit and hitting the highest numbers.
Be patient. This is a stressful process. But also ask as many questions needed. They have an online portal and you can email the staff and doctors your questions at any time. Very responsive.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and warm in her interactions with us. She thoroughly explained the process and went over our chances with each method. She didn’t talk down to us or made us feel uncomfortable. Nor did she make the practice feel like they were only there to take our money. They left decisions up to us and educated us on our options.
We were given the option of IUI or going straight to IVF. Since I didn’t want to be too aggressive in treatment just yet, figured IUI would be the best route. I do have endometriosis and should have just jumped into IVF. But Dr. Kawwass allowed us to be empowered in making our own decision yet while at the same time sharing our potential chances with the methods. We didn’t feel pressured which helped a lot. After IUI did not work, we went with IVF and treatment was not adjusted too much from what was planned.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lois)
Overall the nursing staff was great. They all were very helpful and answered questions when I had them.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic staff is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard. Or at least it was when I last had treatment here. That can be inconvenient if you need to get an appointment as soon as possible.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Emory University Reproductive Center.
It’s nice that you had a set appointment time. But tough when it’s only during certain hours. The patient has to be flexible.
Very reasonable. I have a friend who went through IVF same time I did and she was at another clinic. I learned she paid a lot more than I did and she was shocked how expensive her clinic was. Also fortunate that my insurance also covered the ultrasounds.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Reasoning was justified due to my age and endometriosis.
Atlanta

Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He made sure to cross the t's dot the i's. ... He ran all the fertility tests AMH, FSH, HSG, etc. He also did genetic testing to see if there were any genetic problems.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They [Emory University Repro Center] try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
How was your experience with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He was very through and made sure to cross the t's dot the i's.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask questions...even the silly ones. He takes his time and it's happy to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols David Austin Schirmer III used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia)
She answered my questions on the portal very quickly. She checked in on me during my miscarriage to make sure I was doing ok.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
Describe David Austin Schirmer III's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I believe he recommends eSET.
Atlanta

He [Dr. Toner] was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance...He recommended not doing pgs since I only had 1 embryo. Cost was important to me and I'd rather give it a try than send off for testing. He was willing to transfer note than 1 if I had more...Do your research and come prepared with questions. He will take the time to answer them but you need to narrow down what you want to discuss.
I found it [Emory University Reproductive Center] to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
How was your experience with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
He was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance. I feel very comfortable in his care. It is clear he knows what he is doing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had good discussions on my care. He listened and discussed research and the reasons why he was selecting aspects of my care.
Describe the protocols Jim Toner used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I used follistim 300 and menopur 150 daily for 11 days. Triggered with pregnyl 10,000 hcg.
Michelle was amazing! She was great at communicating and I felt like she was in my corner! This was my first experience with ivf and she made it very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I found it to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I think a cycle was around $15k.
Describe Jim Toner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Jim Toner
Atlanta

When we came to Dr. Schirmer III we were told that by a previous fertility clinic our only option was to go through IVF. Dr. Schirmer didn't agree with that and said let's exhaust all other options before we do that. He helped my husband by getting him with a male fertility specialist and in the end, that's what gave us our healthy baby girl.
The experience [at Emory University Reproductive Center] overall was wonderful. We hope to use them again soon. I can't think of anything that was negative or an area in which they needed to improve. They provided multiple treatment plans and a clear path to the next steps based on how things would progress. It was so helpful to see a roadmap of where we were going and what would happen each step along the way.
Take him up on the sound advice he gives. He's very open to hearing what you would like and delivering realistic options to fit your timetable.
He was very sympathetic and hopeful. He gave us all the information we needed to make a concise decision.
I was put on Metformin as that always helps regulate my period due to having PCOS. My husband was directed to a specialist who put him on Clomid. Clomid help my husband's sperm counts and motility.
They were very responsive and informative in their responses.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The experience overall was wonderful. We hope to use them again soon. I can't think of anything that was negative or an area in which they needed to improve. They provided multiple treatment plans and a clear path to the next steps based on how things would progress. It was so helpful to see a roadmap of where we were going and what would happen each step along the way.
Atlanta

[Dr. Heather Hipp is an] Amazing communicator...always went above and beyond to call and commmnicate results and info that may not have been clear...always called to reassure me the process...she was very compassionate and caring thru the entire process...She always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
[The nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center was] Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up...Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better...She [Dr. Heather Hipp] always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Amazing communicator always went above and beyond to call and commmnicate results and info that may not have been clear always called to reassure me the process she was very compassionate and caring thru the entire process
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Be optimistic and and remain stress free
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Very welcoming cared about very involved in my care. Very compassionate very knowledgeable
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Unlnown)
Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Compassion concern always followed up and very polite caring. Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better. I had a overal experience
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I wish we could of done mutiple to increase my chances of pregnancy to a vapid having to do the process again. Although my doctor was concerned with my health and the pregnancy I wish it was note that could be done with embryo selection or a better choice
Atlanta

Dr. Hipp explained all possibilities thoroughly, and when things didn't go as planned, she took time to call in person to relay news and discuss possible solutions moving forward. Reviewed messages and answered those addressed directly to her, and answered very thoroughly.... Very supportive and understanding, Dr and staff... They let us choose [a single or multiple transfer] while also giving their professional opinion
[Emory is] Small, but state of the art facilities. Very professional, prompt responses to any questions and appointment calls. Clean. Privacy honored. Ideally located in midtown. Always available to answer questions... Nurse was more pen and paper based than electronic. All staff was always friendly, helpful, professional, and seemed to know what they were doing
Be honest and relay all your concerns from the beginning
Very supportive and understanding, Dr and staff
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen Battiste)
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
They let us choose while also giving their professional opinion
2015, Successful
Dr. Kawwass was wodnderful, she explained everything to my husband and I. She took the time to ask how we were and to discuss everything I wanted to know. We could call or message her with all questions...I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process...Don’t feel embarrassed to ask, she’s there to help you.
I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process [at Emory University Reproductive Center]...The nursing staff made me feel so comfortable and helped me in anyway they could...The clinic was very easy to work with as well as to access the needed information. The front office staff was friendly and helpful and made me feel comfortable every time I came in. They helped me get through such a hard time. I have already referred several friends to the clinic.
Don’t feel embarrassed to ask, she’s there to help you.
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Test that would have ascertained if I had PCOS was not run. I also was hospitalized due to hyper stimulation in fertility process but was watched carefully.
Sarah Berga
Atlanta

Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system.... Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times.... I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
Everything [Emory U] was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny....We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel.
Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel. Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times. Yes, that is right she would call as well to check on me. The only issue that is experiencing is that now that we are pregnant and had to graduate someone else it is difficult to find another doctor and staff to live up to ERC’s standards. 😊 This place really set the bar high. On the day of graduation, I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
If you haven't tried ERC you must give them a try.
IVF Injections/Patches SUCCESS on the first try Four months pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Michelle)
Nurse Michelle was incredibly charismatic. She was such a joy to be around. When I was worried, she helped to put my mind at ease. She loves leopard too.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny. They didn't behave like cash cows and was after people's money. It was evident that they wanted success for others and their families. They understood due to the high stakes and the emotions that come along with trying to conceive. They never got upset when I had so many questions. Boy did I have questions, and they were right there.
Roughly $40,000.
2019, Consult
So far I have only had one appointment with Dr Schirmer and he was very thorough. He explained each test and procedure he would like done and explains WHY and WHAT it would tell us. He also described a possible plan of action based on various possible results. He did say he ultimately felt like a more aggressive approach would be recommended in my case but at the end of the day we could do whatever I am comfortable with. I believe many others may consider him to be a fast talker however...
The clinic [Emory] was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached...Meeting with Tadzia after our consult gave us a chance to further discuss the testing that was needed and ask any other questions we may have had. She was very thorough and kind.
If you already have documents bring everything you have. Bring up anything that has happened in the past even if you believe it to not be related. Bring something to take notes.
Dr Schirmer spent a great deal of time going over my records and history with me. He even stopped and asked questions or stopped to explain his thoughts about the information being given. He answered questions my husband had without hesitation.
We are not yet at that phase. However he did recommend we do IVF based on a serious infection I previously had an the damage it did to one tube. He believes that with endo and that infection the chances that my remaining tube is functional is slim.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I am currently self pay and a consult is around $450.
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass does not cut corners when working towards a successful pregnancy. She will always have your best interest at heart even if you may not feel that way during that long and stressful journey! Before her name goes on it she will make sure it's in the best interest of you and the baby...I felt like a human when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. I can appreciate anyone that will give it to me straight! I didn't feel rushed when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. She was very patient when speaking with me.
I absolutely love Michelle [nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center] I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass...The facility is clean. The staff is friendly. They're really good about responding to email. Build a good relationship with the nurses that way you're just as comfortable speaking with them like you are the doctors.
I am beyond thankful for Dr. Kawwass! She never made any promises which was so important to me. Dr. Kawwass made sure I knew about the possibility of a procedure not being successful. However, she would always have a game plan for me to follow. She would call to check up on me to see if I had any questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Lawrence)
Omg!!!!!! I absolutely love Michelle Lawrence! I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass.
2017 - 2020, Successful
I felt like I was treated like a person. She [Dr. Kawwass] always followed up with me and made sure I knew what was going on. I didn't see her a lot (due to Covid), but we Zoomed and emailed. She made sure I knew what problems we faced and if course needed to be changed, she explained why...She followed up and was always cognizant of finances. She checked in on a profession and emotional level
Hard to get to. [the Emory University Reproductive Center] Parking deck is a nightmare. Even if you live close, it is time consuming to get through the building. They do, however, have satellite offices that you can sometimes visit depending on what you need done...full IVF with retrieval was about 15K. Frozen embryo transfer was 5/6K. These do not include medications
I really liked her. I felt like I was treated like a person. She always followed up with me and made sure I knew what was going on. I didn't see her a lot (due to Covid), but we Zoomed and emailed. She made sure I knew what problems we faced and if course needed to be changed, she explained why.
be open and communicate because she is
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: D)
Always a fast response a clear instructions. Followed up with email and phone calls
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Hard to get to. Parking deck is a nightmare. Even if you live close, it is time consuming to get through the building. They do, however, have satellite offices that you can sometimes visit depending on what you need done.
Atlanta

she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery...She explains everything to you in a soft manner, I really like how she cares about her patients and she is very informative .
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were very helpful when I had my consultation... the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion...they are very caring...she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
She is very nice , very caring and she explains everything to me and I understand. I really like her . When I have a question, she is always available for me and I really like her bed side manner , I have had 2 surgeries with her so far and everything has went well.
I would let them know that she will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything.
They were very helpful when I had my consultation.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths I would say that they are very caring. Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Well it was one time where the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion.
Atlanta
She [Dr. Heather Hipp] is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through.... We have only been seeing her for a couple of months, but our first visit with her we already knew that she was going to be the dr we choose. She truly shows how much she cares, and puts everything into the end goal, which is to get a successful pregnancy.
Overall, clinic [Emory University] is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.... She [Dr. Heather Hipp] is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through
She is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through.
She is very sweet, and if I can't get a hold of the dr, she is quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Overall, clinic is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.
Still undergoing that process...
We advised us that it would be best to only transfer one at a time. This would benefit from health risks as well as multiples.
Atlanta

Dr Spencer is patient, kind, compassionate and just a loving professional. And full of knowledge. Absolutely love her. Her planned out course for me and concern for me gives me so much hope for this chapter of my life...She is so patient and even calls me to discuss my treatment. She answers all my questions even the silly ones...Trust her
EMORY RC is one of the best in Georgia with above average results. Their use of advanced technology and new innovative methods ensure successful outcomes for their patients. Their care team delivers excellent care to all families...They [the nurses] are absolutely amazing...My care is ongoing. My insurance covers most of my care.
Trust her
My treatment is on going
They are absolutely amazing.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
My care is ongoing. My insurance covers most of my care.
Atlanta

I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. ... Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. ... I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. ... I never felt like a number at Emory. ... Just had one mix up over the phone with a nurse on date of an IUI but all was corrected before any damage was done.
I found doctor Kawwass after trying 2 other clinics int he area and the experience was night and day. I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. When my first attempts at injections did not produce the results I was hoping for Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me. Sure enough we did and this has resulted in my first pregnancy ever. Dr. Kawwass's empathy and kindness were a shining light in a scary and difficult time.
Dr. Kawwass will be realistic but also positive about your treatment options. Trust her. She is very knowledgeable and professional.
This is why I had switched clinics 2 times previously. I never felt like a number at Emory. Each treatment is an individualized approach with a doctor who cares about you and your results.
1st attempt (IUI) we used letrozole and I produced 3 mature follicles. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2nd (IVF) attempt we used an antagonist protocol with birth control pills. This resulted in only one follicle maturing and we converted to an IUI which was unsuccessful. 3rd attempt (IVF) we changed up my med protocol to estrogen patches (fearing the birth control pills had over suppressed me) Chlomid for 5 days and then lower doses of meds (75 Menopur and 150 Follistim) This resulted in 7 eggs, 6 mature, 2 good quality and transferred back on day 3. 9 weeks of pregnancy with 1 singleton. So far ultrasounds are going well and I have been released to choose regular obgyn.
Very prompt responses. Knowledgeable. I always felt safe trusting their advice and recommendations.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. Even though they are not choosing preferred patients (which is how I felt about the other clinics) their success rates are still some of the highest out there. I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. They each treated me as if they were my primary doctor and this is what has resulted in my pregnancy.
Cost for IUI, meds, and procedure totaled approximately 20-21K
I am very happy we went with a day 3, qty 2 embryo transfer. None of mine made it to freeze and I think the early transfer was what was best for them. They took time to warn me about the chance of multiples.
Atlanta

combination of empathy and competence makes her [Dr. Kawwass] uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring...Come prepared with any and all questions--she will take the time to answer all of them and make sure you have the information you need...was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS...Strengths: The doctors and their team approach to treatment. The nurses, including the night/weekend nurse Michelle (she was always open to answering questions and providing adequate context and explanation). Weaknesses: The billing and financial side of the house. While very friendly, communication could have been better. It is strangely difficult to pay them because you have to hunt down this one person (Tereon, who is never at her desk) to take your information instead of paying online or having a centralized number where multiple people could take your CC info. I recommend double-checking your insurance claims for accuracy.
Dr. Kawwass is hands-down one of the best, if not THE best, doctors we have ever had in any specialty. Her combination of empathy and competence makes her uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring.
Dr. Kawwass always knew us and our history before meeting with us. She demonstrated genuine compassion and concern for our previous pregnancy-related complications, and she inspired confidence in her treatment plan and our ultimate success.
Dr. Kawwass was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
My primary nurse changed mid-treatment because my original nurse (Lutissa) left the clinic. My care was not interrupted, and Mary and Nancy picked up where Lutissa left off. Nancy is little more no-nonsense and is reluctant to classify any symptoms or experiences as "normal". I appreciated her willingness to distinguish when patients should or should not be concerned. Mary is very kind, compassionate, encouraging, and competent. Her answers to questions were always reassuring and optimistic (when appropriate). Even when sharing mixed news (e.g. a great, thick lining but a low serum E2), she was reassuring.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass clearly conveyed that a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS. We felt confident in this decision.
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass felt like we needed to transfer both of our embryos at the same time given my age and to get us pregnant. It worked with 1 of them!...asked us in depth questions other doctors had not asked. She was very sensitive to what we had been through with 1 failed IVF cycle and didn't make huge promises. She was always very candid and cautious but optimistic. Her kind and genuine demeanor made us feel like she cared about us and wasn't trying to "sell" IVF to us or any process. She let us decide how we wanted to try to get pregnant.
Our nurse, care coordinator and all of the nursing staff [at Emory University Reproductive Center] were so kind. They all were pleasant each day we were at their office and knew me by name after my second appointment...The clinic is great about scheduling where you do not wait long at all. I've been to other doctor's where you felt like you were in a "baby mill" because of all of the people waiting. The only weakness is the parking of the Midtown office, but that's to be expected with Atlanta!
Dr. Kawwass loves what she does and it shows. She immediately assessed the diagnosis of our previous doctor and informed me I was not in pre-menopause as the other doctor had stated. She was clear that we had some unexplained reasons for not getting pregnant but checked on things the other doctor hadn't. She was great about reviewing our previous medical history and results and made changes to the protocol that I firmly believe got us pregnant. Her kindness and directness made us feel like she wasn't "selling" us and wanted to make sure we were taking the road we actually wanted to take.
Call her ASAP if you are having issues getting pregnant. She will be honest about your results and will dive into many aspects of your health and medical history to try and find the true reason behind your infertility. She's also extremely sensitive to how hard the process is and you feel like she cares and wants to help.
Dr. Kawwass asked us in depth questions other doctors had not asked. She was very sensitive to what we had been through with 1 failed IVF cycle and didn't make huge promises. She was always very candid and cautious but optimistic. Her kind and genuine demeanor made us feel like she cared about us and wasn't trying to "sell" IVF to us or any process. She let us decide how we wanted to try to get pregnant.
Dr. Kawwass put me on the max dosage of the stimulation medications, used estrogen patches instead of birth control to set my hormone levels and also put me on the max progesterone injections. Her methods were to get as many eggs as she could given my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Anderson)
Our nurse, care coordinator and all of the nursing staff were so kind. They all were pleasant each day we were at their office and knew me by name after my second appointment. I felt like I was in a family's home not a doctor's office due to the intimate nature of their office and quick wait time for each appointment.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Our insurance had infertility coverage so the costs with Dr. Kawwass were pleasantly smaller than our last experience without insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Only one time our nurse forgot to schedule the ultrasound. We arrived to the clinic and they didn't have our appointment scheduled. But the staff immediately worked to get us in and we waited less than 20 minutes for the ultrasound. Great response if you ask me :)
Atlanta

Dr. Spencer and her team were extremely responsive to my needs. ... Dr. Spencer was careful tweak my dosages little by little to prevent over-stimulation during my initial IVF stimulation cycle. ... Dr. Spencer personally performed and oversaw all of my procedures ... She took the time to meet with us and discussed all our diagnoses and options fully. We never felt rushed, and her bedside manner is impeccable. ...
Monitoring appointments [Emory] were held during the same window of time each day ... nearly always completed in 15 - 20 minutes or less. ... I experienced a scheduling mishap during my initial screening for IVF candidacy. ... I paid roughly $25,000 out-of-pocket for IVF treatment ... Billing was sometimes slower than I would have liked, but we received detailed invoicing and plenty of time in which to pay our bills. ...
Dr. Spencer is extremely knowledgeable! She was able to fully answer mine and my husband's questions on the spot and in terms we could easily understand. She took the time to meet with us and discussed all our diagnoses and options fully. We never felt rushed, and her bedside manner is impeccable. Dr. Spencer personally performed and oversaw all of my procedures, and we received a positive outcome following our first cycle and frozen transfer!
Ask a lot of questions to set expectations because Dr. Spencer will provide complete and honest answers.
Dr. Spencer and her team were extremely responsive to my needs. All my questions and concerns were answered and alleviated quickly, and my care and outcome were top notch!
Dr. Spencer was careful tweak my dosages little by little to prevent over-stimulation during my initial IVF stimulation cycle. I underwent additional monitoring to ensure any changes in medication dosage took the desired effects. My stimulation cycle took a couple days longer than initially anticipated, but her careful attention to detail ensured that she was able to retrieve 18 mature eggs from which to work while also keeping me healthy throughout.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The nursing staff was very compassionate and responsive to my needs. All questions and concerns were answered and addressed within a business day or less.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Most visits were quick and easy. I did experience one mishap with scheduling, though the doctor and nursing staff were able to accommodate me anyhow. The team is fairly organized, and it's clear they abide by strict routines and policies to make certain day-to-day operations run as smoothly as possible. Billing was sometimes slower than I would have liked, but we received detailed invoicing and plenty of time in which to pay our bills.
Monitoring appointments were held during the same window of time each day, however, each patient was provided with their own specific appointment time, so I never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes to be seen. Once I was called back, my ultrasound and bloodwork procedures were completed immediately. My monitoring appointments were nearly always completed in 15 - 20 minutes or less.
I paid roughly $25,000 out-of-pocket for IVF treatment, including all anesthesia, procedures, and additional monitoring. My various prescriptions costs were about $3,500.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I experienced a scheduling mishap during my initial screening for IVF candidacy. The doctor and the nursing staff were able to accommodate me on-the-spot, so no repeat visits or testing were ever required.