7.2
7.2

550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308

2018 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Kawwass personally reached out after she returned from a medical leave to discuss the IVF transfer I had undergone while she was out. She makes herself available to address whatever questions or concerns that we have...She knows what she's doing, explains things clearly, and shows interest in the role that this IVF treatment is playing in our family and lives as a whole...
Dr. Kawwass and the staff [at Emory University Reproductive Center] are both warm and professional, treating us like humans while being at the cutting edge of providing expert fertility treatment... keep in mind that each provider doesn't necessarily perform the procedure that might need on the day that you need it, so you should be ready to get to know and work with other providers in the practice occasionally. Dr. Kawwass, though, regularly communicates with her colleagues. and she won't "forget" about you even if you have a procedure done with another provider...
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I really couldn't ask for a better provider than Dr. Kawwass. She knows what she's doing, explains things clearly, and shows interest in the role that this IVF treatment is playing in our family and lives as a whole.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Just keep in mind that each provider doesn't necessarily perform the procedure that might need on the day that you need it, so you should be ready to get to know and work with other providers in the practice occasionally. Dr. Kawwass, though, regularly communicates with her colleagues. and she won't "forget" about you even if you have a procedure done with another provider.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass and the staff are both warm and professional, treating us like humans while being at the cutting edge of providing expert fertility treatment. Dr. Kawwass personally reached out after she returned from a medical leave to discuss the IVF transfer I had undergone while she was out. She makes herself available to address whatever questions or concerns that we have.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Because we had "unexplained infertility," Dr. Kawwass first recommended that we try IUIs. She suggested doing 3 before turning to IVF. Because we couldn't make an IVF cycle happen for a few months after the third unsuccessul IUI, we did two more until we could start an egg retrieval cycle in the summer. After the egg retrieval, which was very successful given that I was 38 years old, she recommended that we test the embryos both with PGS and PGD testing. We did the former on account of our being a little older (I was 38 and my husband 41) and we did the latter to screen for a genetic condition that both of us are carriers for. We then transferred a frozen embryo and thankfully got a healthy baby boy from this first transfer. She recommended transferring only one embryo, since they had undergone the genetic testing and thus stood a better chance of implanting an developing to term. After our little boy turned two, we decided to try another transfer using one o our remaining 5 embryos. This second transfer resulted in a biochemical pregnancy that did not advance beyond the second blood test. We wanted to try again a few months later and managed to find one more funding to source to make it happen. Originally scheduled for October, Dr. Kawwass suggested that we call off the transfer about a week in advance because the lining in my uterus was not as thick as they hoped and there was some fluid between the layers. She reasoned that, since I wasn't going to be undertaking another egg retrieval cycle, we probably should be conservative in transferring the embryos. We postponed this transfer to a couple months later. That transfer at first resulted in a pregnancy. However, at the 7 week ultrasound, the fetus's heartrate was a little low and size a little small. By the ultrasound the next week, the fetus did not have a heartbeat at all. During this transfer cycle, Dr. Kawwass herself was out on medical leave, so another doctor, Dr. Marsidi performed this transfer. We met with Dr. Schirmer after the second ultrasound. They both provided excellent care and counsel. Dr. Schirmer explained that, even though we had put the embryos through PGS testing, the embryo is so small at that stage that there is much the testing cannot detect. As soon as she returned from medical leave, Dr. Kawwass reached out to me to express her concern and make herself available for any support or consultation. I have been working her on trying to resolve the bleeding that still continues from the miscarriage, about 8 weeks later. I will be going in soon for a hysteroscopy to clear the remaining tissue. We hope that we can muster the funds to try once more this summer to transfer an embryo. Since the two recent transfers have not resulted in a viable pregnancy, we have discussed whether she would be willing/would recommend transferring both of our remaining embryos. She said she would be willing in this case, though she has counseled about the significant risks o bearing twins. We still have not decided when and how many embryos to transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
The nurses communicate well both with me and the doctors and often have gone out of their way to help, telling me after my miscarriage how to connect with the emergency after-hours line to connect with a doctor on all at the clinic. The nurses and ultrasound techs are always friendly and personable as well as professional.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The ERC has experts who care. Being connected with the broader Emory healthcare community is helpful for coordinating with other doctors who might also be prescribing medications or providing other treatment. For example, my neurologist and psychiatrist can see notes about my fertility treatments and vice versa. The weaknesses are in the understanding of where bills are coming from, as their is both a "physicians" and "hospital" billing system, with services not always being categorized in an intuitive way. Sometimes I've found it difficult to communicate with the billing and financing side of things, but it's gotten better.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Out of pocket $10,238 (we had grant support for the retrieval and first transfer, some grant support for the second and third transfers) $659 per IUI (x5) = 3,295 $4292 per FET (x3) = 12,876 $12,127 for retrieval (1) + hormones, parking, testing TOTAL for 5 IUIs, 1 retrieval, and 3 transfers = $28,982.66 full itemized list below Fertility costs Date Item Place Amount 2017-9 testing ERC $158.46 2017-10 hormones and other supplies Walgreens/ERC $836.70 2017-11 IUI ERC $667.04 2017-12 IUI ERC $659.00 2017-12 parking Emory Midtown $25.00 2017-7 testing ERC $272.29 2017-8 IUI hormones Walgreens Community $104.50 2018-1 IUI ERC $659.00 2018-3 IUI ERC $659.00 2018-3 IUI ERC $931.98 2018-4 parking Emory Midtown $15.00 2018-5 IUI fees ERC $265.34 2018-6 parking Emory Midtown $48.00 2018-6 retrieval ERC $12,127.00 2018-6 retrieval hormones Walgreens Community $3,350.00 2018-6 retrieval hormones Walgreens $464.48 2018-9 transfer ERC $3,750.00 2021-10 transfer hormones Walgreens Community $132.18 2021-11 parking Emory Midtown $32.00 2021-12 transfer hormones Walgreens Community $835.08 2021-5 embryo storage ERC $252.00 2021-5 FET 2 ERC $1,333.28 2021-5 transfer hormones Walgreens Community $895.01 2021-6 transfer hormones + JAX monitoring Walgreens Community $506.35 2021-9 transfer hormones Walgreens Community $664.61 2022-1 transfer hormones Walgreens Community $334.52 $28,982.66

2019 - 2022, 5 Eggs Frozen
From my first meeting with Dr. Kawwass I felt that she genuinely cared about me and helping us to build our desired family. She regularly checked in with me before, during and after my retrieval cycles, celebrated with us when we experienced joy, and was sad with us when we experienced loss...she will do everything she can to provide you with the information you need to make decisions to best support your goals.
The [Emory University Reproductive Center] clinic typically operates on time or even early (if you arrive early for blood work for example, they are often able to get you in earlier), which is really helpful...We interacted with multiple nurses, as well as residents and lab technicians over the years and they all have been very caring, knowledgeable, and helpful. I developed a rapport with many of them and it was nice to see their familiar and friendly faces during many scary/nerve-racking appointments.
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Kawwass to do her justice. I trust her opinion, value her honesty, and recommend her to anyone that is looking for assistance. When we first met with Dr. Kawwass she let us know that she had seen a variety of outcomes for people in our situation and answered all of our questions to help us decide what course of action was best for our family. She supported us in our decisions and celebrated (and mourned) with us along the way. Even though we have not needed to use the eggs we retrieved, I am positive that doing the retrievals was the best decision for our family, and attribute our successful outcomes to her consultation/honesty with us and recommendation to take action to begin our family naturally as soon as we were ready. I most appreciate how genuine Dr. Kawwass is when talking with us and her ability to break down complicated topics in ways that we understand. I still have a photo of a sketch she drew to help explain our situation and potential outcomes to us and have shared it with with friends on multiple occasions.
Go see her now. Don't wait. Be honest and open with her so that she can provide you the best guidance for your situation. Dr. Kawwass can not control your outcome, but she will do everything she can to provide you with the information you need to make decisions to best support your goals.
We used the same protocol for all three of my retrieval cycles and I kept my Mirena IUD in place during all cycles as I was not yet ready to begin a family. Because I have diminished ovarian reserve we did not anticipate that we would be able to mature a large number of eggs, so we used the Estrogen Patches Clomid Antagonist IVF Protocol. We started with estrogen patches 9 days after ovulation (i think we actually only used them for the first two retrievals), once my period began I was monitored, and then instructed when to start taking 100 mg of Clomid. On day 5, I began 150 IU of Follistim Gonal-f and 75 IU of Menopur, I was monitored and then instructed to give the trigger shot (10,000 IU of HCG). On the second retrieval cycle I threw up the morning after the trigger shot. The length of my stimulation varied each cycle. I know that we did 13 days for the second cycle.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Communicating through the portal system takes a little bit to get used to. Once you use it a few times it will become more natural. I found that the doctors and nurses are very responsive when I send a note through the portal and that it was typically the best way to get a question answered. The clinic typically operates on time or even early (if you arrive early for blood work for example, they are often able to get you in earlier), which is really helpful. There are two locations and I have seen folks mistakenly go to the wrong location, so that would be good to be aware of when making your appointments. Dealing with insurance, particularly for medications can be really challenging. This is not because your team isn't doing what they need to do, it is because insurance the requirements are wonky and different for everyone.
I was able to use my insurance so that was incredibly helpful. Using my insurance, I believe the retrieval and all appointments were around $8-$10k per cycle and the medications were around $5-$7k per cycle.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Heather Hipp always takes the time to answer any questions and to explain all aspects of treatment...Each visit she sat with us for as long as it took for us to ask any and all questions in order to leave reassured...During stimulation, I was on Menopur in the morning (150iu) and Gonal-F in the evening (300iu) everyday for 10 days...I triggered with Lupron to try and avoid OHSS. I was higher risk for OHSS due to a high AMH
staff of [Emory University Reproductive Center] were compassionate and quick to respond to any questions or concerns...We financed treatment for $14,500 without monitoring or medication. The cost for monitoring and medication brought the cost to well over $20,000...I would tell a new patient not to hold too tight to the first schedule you receive as the cycle can be very unpredictable and the team has to change the approach and protocol as needed
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp has been working with us for many years as we prepared to start our IVF cycle. Each visit she sat with us for as long as it took for us to ask any and all questions in order to leave reassured. She and her team are very quick to respond to portal messages or concerns. Dr. Hipp made it very clear throughout the process that she was invested in obtaining the best possible results for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I would advise any patient for any doctor to write down questions as they arise so they do not forget them when they are at appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp always takes the time to answer any questions and to explain all aspects of treatment. It was evident that she genuinely cares for her patients and for the best possible outcome while also ensuring the mothers health along the way.
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
During stimulation, I was on Menopur in the morning (150iu) and Gonal-F in the evening (300iu) everyday for 10 days. Days 5-10 I added Ganirelix (250mcg) midday. I had monitoring about 4 times during stimulation. On the 10th day I took the first of my two-part trigger shot, at 10pm and again at 10am. I triggered with Lupron to try and avoid OHSS. I was higher risk for OHSS due to a high AMH. I also took Cabergoline after retrieval to avoid OHSS as well as an antibiotic for about a week to avoid infection. I was unable to do a fresh embryo transfer so that my body could rest after stimulation. About a week later, I started Lupron (20 units) daily for about a month to suppress my ovaries. About 2.5 weeks after starting Lupron, I started Estradiol patches. Started with 1 patch every other day and progressively moved up to 4 patches every other day. About 2 weeks after starting patches, I started progesterone in oil (PIO) intramuscular shots in the evening and then also progesterone vaginal pills 3x daily. Six days after starting progesterone, I had my frozen embryo transfer. I am currently 7 weeks and 3 days. I am still on the PIO shots daily, progesterone vaginal pills 3x a day, and 4 Estradiol patches every other day. I will begin tapering off of my medications starting week 8 until week 12.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Ellen and then Mary)
I worked primarily with Ellen and then with Mary for the majority of my IVF cycle. Both were compassionate and quick to respond to any questions or concerns. I have spoken to other members of the nursing team during my treatment and all have been helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everyone I had contact with in the clinic worked quick and efficiently. They were quick to respond to calls and messages. I would tell a new patient not to hold too tight to the first schedule you receive as the cycle can be very unpredictable and the team has to change the approach and protocol as needed. I expected at my first ultrasound after confirmed positive beta to hear the heartbeat as I was 6 weeks 5 days. I had read that a lot of women at other clinics were able to hear heartbeat around the same time. However, my clinic said that they do not do sound for heartbeat until second trimester which was confusing to me. I was not aware that I would not hear it until that appointment. They did tell me what the heart rate was, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Due to my age and health, my doctor recommended transferring only one embryo to avoid multiples which can be hard on my health and potentially dangerous to the babies.
Atlanta

we were asked what our preferred learning style is (ie. hearing it, seeing it, doing it) and that information was utilized by Dr. Schirmer and every member of our treatment team to ensure that we understood each step of the process...When a treatment cycle seemed to not be going as planned, he met with us to "regroup"...continue with the current treatment plan or move to a more aggressive approach. We have felt valued and heard throughout this entire process.
Emory is a teaching hospital and they pride themselves on having a great working relationship with each patient, which is very evident in their approach. Each doctor makes you feel so at ease and understood...[nurse] made sure to stay in contact with me via Patient Portal as well as telephone calls and she answered any questions I had...provided us with a full itemized break-down of all of the costs...
How was your experience with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer has shown compassion throughout our entire fertility treatment journey. He has informed us of our odds, the clinic's success rates, and our personal success rates and he has gone above and beyond to make sure that we are comfortable with every step we have taken. He has been transparent about every procedure, cycle, step, and possible outcome and he has diligently worked to develop a treatment plan specific to our needs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Don't be afraid to ask questions! Dr. Schirmer is very open to answering every single question you have. I went into our IVF orientation with a LONG list of questions and he gladly took all the time needed to answer each and every question I had. I have never felt "rushed out of the door" or like he is "too busy to see us" because Dr. Schirmer goes out of his way to make sure we are fully informed and feel comfortable with each step.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer took as much time as needed to meet with us for any questions and concerns. He presented all of the information in a way that I could understand yet allowed me to have the final say in my treatment plan. During our initial consultation, as well as our IVF orientation, we were asked what our preferred learning style is (ie. hearing it, seeing it, doing it) and that information was utilized by Dr. Schirmer and every member of our treatment team to ensure that we understood each step of the process. Our transfer cycle is cancelled/postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but our treatment team has reached out to updated us throughout this process to make sure we are as much at ease as possible during this waiting time.
Describe the protocols David Austin Schirmer III used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Schirmer, like most Reproductive Endocrinologists, started with "conservative" treatments due to my age (26 years) and the length of time my husband and I had been trying to conceive at the time (1 year). During our initial consultation he reviewed possible treatment plans for us but ultimately let us decide what we wanted to do. As a team, we chose to do Timed Intercourse with Injectables which we did for several complete cycles before we decided to move to IVF. After every failed cycle, Dr. Schirmer met with us to discuss our next steps and what our desired treatment plan would be going forward. He never pressured us to move to a more aggressive (expensive) plan but laid out the facts and statistics of every fertility treatment (timed intercourse, IUI, IVF, etc.) and ultimately allowed us to have an open and honest conversation with us about our specific plan. When a treatment cycle seemed to not be going as planned, he met with us to "regroup" and figure out whether we wanted to continue with the current treatment plan or move to a more aggressive approach. We have felt valued and heard throughout this entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia Toote)
Tadzia was very compassionate and caring throughout each step of the process. She calmed me down on so many different occasions because going through infertility is something that is very stressful and often overwhelming. She made sure to stay in contact with me via Patient Portal as well as telephone calls and she answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I don't have a single negative thing to say about Emory Reproductive Center! Every single nurse, doctor on call, financial counselor, front desk personnel, and "medical fellow" has gone above and beyond to ensure that our experience has been outstanding. Emory is a teaching hospital and they pride themselves on having a great working relationship with each patient, which is very evident in their approach. Each doctor makes you feel so at ease and understood, which is SO important for someone struggling with infertility. I am connected to other women who are patients at Emory Reproductive Center and there is nothing but positive, glowing reviews.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Before each treatment plan was initiated, Dr. Schirmer and an Emory Reproductive Center Financial Counselor sat down with us to review the costs associated with our care. They reviewed different payment methods, options, and third-party companies for financial packages (particularly for IVF) that were available to us. They provided us with a full itemized break-down of all of the costs that we would be responsible for in that chosen treatment plan and worked with us to make sure we could get the desired fertility treatment.
Describe David Austin Schirmer III's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Schirmer prefers an elective single embryo transfer but ultimately let me make the final decision. He laid out all of the facts and statistics and informed us of the increased risks to me and the babies, should we get pregnant with multiples. However, it was a discussion that we were able to talk through and voice our opinion and Dr. Schirmer let us make the ultimate decision about the number of embryos to transfer. Our clinic grades each embryo and transfers the best quality embryo first to increase the chance of a viable pregnancy. Due to conversation we had, the recommendation of Dr. Schirmer, and the results of my own research, we have chosen to transfer only one embryo and we are so happy that Dr. Schrimer heard our concerns and talked them through with us.
Atlanta

Dr. Toner takes a science/evidence-based approach and always had data and statistics at hand when discussing treatment options. This did not come at the expense of bedside manner, as he was very kind and patient. His demeanor was a great fit for my husband and I who value science and data-driven decision making...Dr. Toner established upfront that transferring single embryos is strongly recommended.
[retrieval] resulted in 9 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 1 blastocyst...The aspect I like the best about Emory is they are affiliated with a top research university, meaning their doctors, staff and residents are knowledgeable of the most recent research and advanced practices/technology...It took a long time to get financial clearance even when we paid cash, and our billing statements were very confusing.
How was your experience with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Come prepared with questions, and be open-minded.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Toner was always very patient with us, making sure we had time to ask questions and he was a good listener. He also understood the emotional toll of fertility treatments on his patients.
Describe the protocols Jim Toner used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
For the cycle we tried with my own eggs I was on a antagonist protocol, with Ganirelix, Menopur, and Follistim. I was on high doses but I still stimmed for 16 days as it took my body longer to respond. It resulted in 9 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 1 blastocyst. We did a fresh transfer of the 1 blast but it was not successful. Poor egg quality was suspected.
We had multiple nurse coordinators throughout our treatment. The first one we were assigned was not a great match for us. She was nice, but disorganized and a bit unprofessional. The second nurse was much better, but she retired shortly before our last procedure.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The aspect I like the best about Emory is they are affiliated with a top research university, meaning their doctors, staff and residents are knowledgeable of the most recent research and advanced practices/technology. This does mean there are students shadowing doctors at some appointments, but that didn't bother us. I'd say the finance and billing departments were the worst aspects. It took a long time to get financial clearance even when we paid cash, and our billing statements were very confusing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center.
The IUI procedures were ~$2,500. The first IVF procedure with my own eggs cost approximately $30,000, but $11,000 of that was for meds. Since I was on high doses for a long time that's probably $5K more than normal. Our second IVF procedure with donor eggs was ~$15K (not including the cost of the donor eggs).
Describe Jim Toner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Once or twice a nurse forgot to call in a prescription, but they were quick to rectify the issue.
Jim Toner
Atlanta

Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He made sure to cross the t's dot the i's. ... He ran all the fertility tests AMH, FSH, HSG, etc. He also did genetic testing to see if there were any genetic problems.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They [Emory University Repro Center] try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He was very through and made sure to cross the t's dot the i's.
Ask questions...even the silly ones. He takes his time and it's happy to answer them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia)
She answered my questions on the portal very quickly. She checked in on me during my miscarriage to make sure I was doing ok.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
I believe he recommends eSET.
2017 - 2020, Successful
I felt like I was treated like a person. She [Dr. Kawwass] always followed up with me and made sure I knew what was going on. I didn't see her a lot (due to Covid), but we Zoomed and emailed. She made sure I knew what problems we faced and if course needed to be changed, she explained why...She followed up and was always cognizant of finances. She checked in on a profession and emotional level
Hard to get to. [the Emory University Reproductive Center] Parking deck is a nightmare. Even if you live close, it is time consuming to get through the building. They do, however, have satellite offices that you can sometimes visit depending on what you need done...full IVF with retrieval was about 15K. Frozen embryo transfer was 5/6K. These do not include medications
I really liked her. I felt like I was treated like a person. She always followed up with me and made sure I knew what was going on. I didn't see her a lot (due to Covid), but we Zoomed and emailed. She made sure I knew what problems we faced and if course needed to be changed, she explained why.
be open and communicate because she is
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: D)
Always a fast response a clear instructions. Followed up with email and phone calls
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Hard to get to. Parking deck is a nightmare. Even if you live close, it is time consuming to get through the building. They do, however, have satellite offices that you can sometimes visit depending on what you need done.
Atlanta

Dr Spencer is patient, kind, compassionate and just a loving professional. And full of knowledge. Absolutely love her. Her planned out course for me and concern for me gives me so much hope for this chapter of my life...She is so patient and even calls me to discuss my treatment. She answers all my questions even the silly ones...Trust her
EMORY RC is one of the best in Georgia with above average results. Their use of advanced technology and new innovative methods ensure successful outcomes for their patients. Their care team delivers excellent care to all families...They [the nurses] are absolutely amazing...My care is ongoing. My insurance covers most of my care.
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Trust her
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
My treatment is on going
They are absolutely amazing.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
My care is ongoing. My insurance covers most of my care.
Jessica Spencer
Atlanta
We had our healthy baby through IVF at with Dr. Jennifer Kawwass and they were awesome in taking care of my wife and transferring the embryos. They were very thorough in explaining the procedures and answering all our questions...Go with her she is the best...very thorough in explaining the procedures and answering all our questions... recommended to do eSET since my wife was under 40 years.
[Emory University Reproductive Center] Location was far for us. Wish they had another center in Alpharetta or cumming other than that we like the facility. Wish they had another center in Alpharetta or cumming other than that we like the facility...Approximately 50K for 2 egg retrievals and transfer...We were recommended to do eSET since my wife was under 40 years.
We had our healthy baby through IVF at Emory with Dr. Jennifer Kawwass and they were awesome in taking care of my wife and transferring the embryos. They were very thorough in explaining the procedures and answering all our questions. We are very glad that we chose Emory.
Go with her she is the best.
All the procedures were explained in detail and she really cared for us.
Dont remember.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Approximately 50K for 2 egg retrievals and transfer.
We were recommended to do eSET since my wife was under 40 years.
Atlanta

She [Dr. Kawwass] always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all...After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant.
[The nurses at FCI were] Super responsive. I always got call backs and replies on the patient portal to my messages within 1-2 hours. It was really amazing to be treated so well!...Excellent clinic. Easy to get in for appointments quickly, and very quick turnaround times. The clinic staff all communicate really well and I always felt like I was in the best hands. The clinic location is great, new, clean and top notch...team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
Dr. Kawwass was incredible. She always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all. I never felt like she was rushed and needed to move on. She also really took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I appreciated. One thing I really valued about her was that she really knows the medical literature and studies really well, and for someone like me that really likes that evidence, she was an amazing doctor.
Write down your questions in advance - she will go through each one of them with you and it was always really helpful to have handy during my visits with her.
Dr. Kawwass and the team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
Dr. Kawwass had a lot of great recommendations for me, and while many of them were minor "tweaks" in my care, it resulted in a positive outcome. After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant. She also had recommendations for just two supplements that had shown some effectiveness (many others she said were a waste of money and did not work), so I took these two to help improve egg quality prior to the clomid cycle. The clomid worked in the first cycle! I am 12 weeks pregnant now. Dr. Kawwass was so amazing helping to calm my nerves, as I was able to come in for almost weekly ultrasounds when I was nervous about spotting or other concerns about having another miscarriage. Overall, all of these changes to my treatment have resulted in a pregnancy that I hope to carry to term.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
My insurance covered the majority of my treatment.
Dr. Kawwass is against multiple embryo transfer because of the severe complications and health risks that multiple embryos can cause both mother and babies. I agree with this policy after she explained it to me. Though having twins sounded amazing at first after struggling with fertility, given all the current worries I have just at 12 weeks and knowing how much MORE I would worry about all the health risks of multiples, I completely understand this viewpoint as it is founded in evidence-based and scientific research.
Atlanta

When the blood work came back and was shockingly disappointing Dr. Kawwass called me personally after hours to talk. She answered every question with sincere thoughtfulness...we were able to get pregnant through IVF with her care. Unfortunately our son was diagnosed with Down syndrome while in utero and was stillborn at 36 weeks. This tragic outcome was no way in relation to anything done through Dr. Kawwass. When she found out our son had died she contacted us personally to send her condolences. Her professionalism and compassion sets her far above any doctor I’ve ever seen.
The nurses [at Emory University Reproductive Center] were polite and never made me feel dumb for asking questions or being nervous. Even the ladies handling financing were extremely helpful and understanding... The bathrooms were clean, rooms and waiting areas. It was never crowded and I don’t think we ever had to wait for more than 10-15 minutes and that was a rare occurrence. The downside to the clinic was the parking deck. It is hard to find a spot sometimes so you end up parking on the roof because Emory’s Reproductive Clinic is part of the hospital.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and understanding. Our situation was very odd being that I am only 27 and have been diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. When the blood work came back and was shockingly disappointing Dr. Kawwass called me personally after hours to talk. She answered every question with sincere thoughtfulness. Even with the odds against us we were able to get pregnant through IVF with her care. Unfortunately our son was diagnosed with Down syndrome while in utero and was stillborn at 36 weeks. This tragic outcome was no way in relation to anything done through Dr. Kawwass. When she found out our son had died she contacted us personally to send her condolences. Her professionalism and compassion sets her far above any doctor I’ve ever seen.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions because she won’t rush you or make you feel silly. Nothing is too big or too insignificant to ask and she will be 100% honest with you.
When meeting with Dr. Kawwass she always knew our information before we were called back. She talked to my husband and I like we were friends she was giving professional advice to, she was not just reading off our paperwork in front of us.
We used a low dose of antagonists because of my low egg count. I took menopour, gonal-f or ganirelix, estrogen patches and clomid although I can’t remember in which order. After egg retrieval I was on progesterone injections for 10 weeks because the egg implanted and it helps to maintain the pregnancy. At the retrieval she got 3 eggs. I had 4 mature follicles so 4 was the maximum we expected so getting 3 was a positive for us. They were transferred at the cleavage stage - day 2/3 - and like I mentioned above, one took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Everyone I worked with while being treated at Emory was more than pleasant. The nurses were polite and never made me feel dumb for asking questions or being nervous. Even the ladies handling financing were extremely helpful and understanding.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was so clean. The bathrooms were clean, rooms and waiting areas. It was never crowded and I don’t think we ever had to wait for more than 10-15 minutes and that was a rare occurrence. The downside to the clinic was the parking deck. It is hard to find a spot sometimes so you end up parking on the roof because Emory’s Reproductive Clinic is part of the hospital.
Our cost was roughly between $20,000-$25,000 with retrieval, transfer and medication.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass is compassionate and enthusiastic. She makes the process seem routine and takes the scary out of it. She explains her diagnoses and treatments so that it can be easily understood and makes herself readily available to answer questions in a timely manner.... Dr. Kawwass is a firm believer in eSET for first timers without obvious fertility issues identified.
The clinic [Emory] is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!... I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Bring your positive attitude!
Dr. Kawwass is warm and detailed in her appointments. She is encouraging and explains everything in a way that is easy to understand. Her staff are quick to respond to communication. The only downside has been hold ups with the insurance coverage and starting treatment but since this is a newly covered service I imagine the process will improve in speed, efficiency, and know how very quickly!
The nursing staff and care coordinator are very responsive and knowledgeable. They work quickly to keep things moving and are compassionate and caring. They always follow through with requests.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!
All of the diagnostics for infertility were covered in full by my insurance. I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Atlanta

Dr. Hipp is amazing and so educated. She made sure to explain everything so we could understand it. If there were any set backs she made sure to call in addition to the nurses. She is just wonderful and I will definitely work with her again.... Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses.
The doctors are Emory’s strength. They are some of the best in the US. I would recommend staying on top of the financial office and make sure your insurance covers meds or you will regret that! Overall, we had impeccable care....Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds....We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage
Ask as many questions as you need. Even if you feel like you are bothering them.
Dr. Hipp is very sweet. She’s like family. Hurts when you hurt, Happy when things go your way.
Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses. About 7 days in we did the Cetrotide to prevent ovulation. We did the trigger shot on day 11 if I recall and the retrieval 2 days later. We got 9 eggs, 6 were mature. In the end we had 2 make it. We did a fresh transfer with a 4AA blast which ended in a chemical. We still have one frozen that we will transfer in July.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
Helen was the one who called us with updates and told us what to do. She is very good at answering emails and calls you back the same day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage we had at the time to our prescription costs.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass did not perform any of our procedures, but we were aware she was consulted throughout. Our meetings with her were thorough and encouraging. When we were worried, she would always appear just to comfort us...Know that as medical director she may not be available for the day to day, but she knows her stuff and is a great team leader to help you find the best course of treatment and hopefully positive results.
The physicians and nurses [at Emory University] were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated...It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.
Dr. Kawwass is warm and friendly and makes an intimidating process seem manageable. She always listened and responded to our concerns however we presented them and we felt like she truly wanted us to conceive.
IUI 1-3: Letrozole - Ovidrel trigger Then HSG test. IUI 4 added Menopur for thin lining. IVF: reciprocal with wife's eggs. Me: gestational parent: Birth Control for 4 weeks, daily Lupron shots, estrogen patches. 2CC Progesterone injections daily from retrieval through 9 weeks. Prometrium suppositories 3x day through 12 weeks. We didn't ask why this protocol, but I had very few side effects and we were willing to try anything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy )
Nancy oversaw our protocol, but with the amount of ultrasounds and blood draws much of our kudos go to Amy and the other ultrasound techs for being so kind and gentle and informative.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The physicians and nurses were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated.
Because there were two people invovled, and we have seperate insurance, my IVF protocol was covered outside my $1500 copay. My wife's insurance did not have fertility coverage but she was given a discount. All in for 6 IUI and 1 IVF we spent just over $20,000 including donor sperm.
We only had 2 make it to Day 5, only one was transferred.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Only with the billing and insurance coordination side. It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment....she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment.
Clinic [Emory] was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.... Nursing staff were always friendly and professional... Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature.
Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment. Even though I didn’t see her at every visit I trusted her team and knew she was consulted on the decisions around my care.
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment. I always found her very empathetic and approachable and appreciated how she never ‘dumbed things down’ when talking about my treatment plan or answering questions.
We started with letrozole only cycles to stimulate ovulation with timed intercourse. At the time both my husband and I were traveling for work so it was difficult for timing intercourse so we eventually moved to stimulation plus IUI. When that didn’t work for a few months I started an IVF cycle with injectables but I wasn’t producing enough eggs so we switched to an IUI. I got pregnant with my daughter on that cycle. When I went back to the clinic 2 years later to start trying again we did a clomid+menopur cycle and IUI and I got pregnant in that first cycle.
Nursing staff were always friendly and professional
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clinic was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.
Costs were covered by insurance so only paid $40 co pay on some visits
N/a - did not do IVf
Atlanta

he [Dr. David Schirmer] was super approachable and took a lot of time to explain our options and how each option would work...we plan to use him again to transfer remaining embryos from our retrieval...He recommended single embryo as I was young (34)...I had 3 unsuccessful rounds of clomid assisted IUIs. Then shifted to IVF...I used menopur and gonal f. I had to be stimulated for 14 days then did the trigger prior to my retrieval
they [clinic of Emory University Reproductive Center] had early morning appointments and validated parking given how often I had to go...They pulled out 14 eggs, 12 fertilized and 5 remained after 5 days. I did genetic testing and 3 were genetically normal. I did a frozen transfer of 1 embryo...I was able to use insurance for some costs...We had to pay a certain amount prior to starting the cycle for IVF...he [Dr. Schirmer] was super approachable and took a lot of time to explain our options and how each option would work.
he was super approachable and took a lot of time to explain our options and how each option would work. He was also incredibly skilled based on our positive results. I would go to him again if given the option and we plan to use him again to transfer remaining embryos from our retrieval. We are very thankful for his excellent skill that resulted in our wonderful daughter
Be sure to ask lots of questions- he was excellent at reviewing our questions and giving advice without being prescriptive
He was super collaborative and Informative
I had 3 unsuccessful rounds of clomid assisted IUIs. Then shifted to IVF. I used estrogen patches for a few days before starting stimulation. I used menopur and gonal f. I had to be stimulated for 14 days then did the trigger prior to my retrieval. They pulled out 14 eggs, 12 fertilized and 5 remained after 5 days. I did genetic testing and 3 were genetically normal. I did a frozen transfer of 1 embryo resulting in a successful pregnancy and birth.
She was new so not as knowledgeable about what to expect and not precise with her works like the physicians were. Had I been less educated and informed, it would have been acceptable but since I had done so much research I think I asked harder questions.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic process was very standard and professional from the front desk to the doctors. I liked that they had early morning appointments and validated parking given how often I had to go. It was nice to be able to go before work.
I was able to use insurance for some costs but all costs were discussed up front with a financial person. We had to pay a certain amount prior to starting the cycle for IVF
He recommended single embryo as I was young (34). I agree with this approach.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass was very attentive and listened to all of our concerns. The office staff were also very warm and friendly both in person and on the phone...listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Everything was great [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Dr.Kawwass listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. She was great at answering all of our questions and addressing our concerns.
Antagonist IVF treatment. BCP on 1st day of Menses. Baseline. labs and ultrasounds. Start Stims after period starts again. Egg retrieval. Fresh Transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Sushila)
The nursing staff were great. Sushila was my main Nurse. She would always respond to me promptly through the patient portal or would call me. If she was not in office that say Nancy or someone else would respond to my inquiries right away. She went above and beyond to communicate with the office I was using for satellite monitoring as I am in Nashville and they are in Atlanta.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was great. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Our insurance covered IVF. We did have to pay out of pocket for ICSI ,our out of pocket amounts and the patient amount for the medications
Single Embryo transfer was recommended as I was 29 yrs old at the time with no health issues.
2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr Kawwass remembers a lot about me, my job, my husband’s job, where we live. She looks me in the eyes when we speak instead of the computer and is doing everything in her power to get me pregnant. She seems to genuinely care about her patients... Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
Emory hospital is amazing, when I had my surgery to remove my hydrosalpinx, the nursing staff was outstanding and caring. I love the doctors there, even the fellows. they recently renovated the office and it looks great.
In 2017 I did three cycles of IVF. One fresh and two frozen. After none resulted in a pregnancy, I knew I needed a break. Two years came and went and when I returned to the clinic she remembered everything about me and my husband.
Dr Kawwass will do anything in her power to help you get the baby you have always wanted.
Egg retrieval from only one ovary because I lost on to a dermoid cyst. Three cycles, one fresh with one embryo because I was young and healthy. Two frozen cycles with two embryos because I requested. This most recent cycle we re did all of the bloodwork and diagnostic tests. My HSG showed blocked tube resulting in a diagnosis of hydrosalpinx. This was removed and we will start a frozen cycle in one month
Michelle was my nurse in 2017 and she was wonderful. Always responded to questions quickly. Most recent staff is not as quick but they are sweet and helpful
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The costs included the monitoring-bloodwork and ultrasounds, all the medications. The frozen transfers included only the transfers
Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
Atlanta

He [Dr. Toner] was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance...He recommended not doing pgs since I only had 1 embryo. Cost was important to me and I'd rather give it a try than send off for testing. He was willing to transfer note than 1 if I had more...Do your research and come prepared with questions. He will take the time to answer them but you need to narrow down what you want to discuss.
I found it [Emory University Reproductive Center] to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
How was your experience with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
He was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance. I feel very comfortable in his care. It is clear he knows what he is doing.
I had good discussions on my care. He listened and discussed research and the reasons why he was selecting aspects of my care.
I used follistim 300 and menopur 150 daily for 11 days. Triggered with pregnyl 10,000 hcg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle was amazing! She was great at communicating and I felt like she was in my corner! This was my first experience with ivf and she made it very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I found it to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
I think a cycle was around $15k.
Jim Toner
Atlanta

When we came to Dr. Schirmer III we were told that by a previous fertility clinic our only option was to go through IVF. Dr. Schirmer didn't agree with that and said let's exhaust all other options before we do that. He helped my husband by getting him with a male fertility specialist and in the end, that's what gave us our healthy baby girl.
The experience [at Emory University Reproductive Center] overall was wonderful. We hope to use them again soon. I can't think of anything that was negative or an area in which they needed to improve. They provided multiple treatment plans and a clear path to the next steps based on how things would progress. It was so helpful to see a roadmap of where we were going and what would happen each step along the way.
Take him up on the sound advice he gives. He's very open to hearing what you would like and delivering realistic options to fit your timetable.
He was very sympathetic and hopeful. He gave us all the information we needed to make a concise decision.
I was put on Metformin as that always helps regulate my period due to having PCOS. My husband was directed to a specialist who put him on Clomid. Clomid help my husband's sperm counts and motility.
They were very responsive and informative in their responses.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The experience overall was wonderful. We hope to use them again soon. I can't think of anything that was negative or an area in which they needed to improve. They provided multiple treatment plans and a clear path to the next steps based on how things would progress. It was so helpful to see a roadmap of where we were going and what would happen each step along the way.
Atlanta

Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system.... Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times.... I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
Everything [Emory U] was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny....We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel.
Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel. Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times. Yes, that is right she would call as well to check on me. The only issue that is experiencing is that now that we are pregnant and had to graduate someone else it is difficult to find another doctor and staff to live up to ERC’s standards. 😊 This place really set the bar high. On the day of graduation, I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
If you haven't tried ERC you must give them a try.
IVF Injections/Patches SUCCESS on the first try Four months pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Michelle)
Nurse Michelle was incredibly charismatic. She was such a joy to be around. When I was worried, she helped to put my mind at ease. She loves leopard too.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny. They didn't behave like cash cows and was after people's money. It was evident that they wanted success for others and their families. They understood due to the high stakes and the emotions that come along with trying to conceive. They never got upset when I had so many questions. Boy did I have questions, and they were right there.
Roughly $40,000.
2019, Consult
So far I have only had one appointment with Dr Schirmer and he was very thorough. He explained each test and procedure he would like done and explains WHY and WHAT it would tell us. He also described a possible plan of action based on various possible results. He did say he ultimately felt like a more aggressive approach would be recommended in my case but at the end of the day we could do whatever I am comfortable with. I believe many others may consider him to be a fast talker however...
The clinic [Emory] was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached...Meeting with Tadzia after our consult gave us a chance to further discuss the testing that was needed and ask any other questions we may have had. She was very thorough and kind.
If you already have documents bring everything you have. Bring up anything that has happened in the past even if you believe it to not be related. Bring something to take notes.
Dr Schirmer spent a great deal of time going over my records and history with me. He even stopped and asked questions or stopped to explain his thoughts about the information being given. He answered questions my husband had without hesitation.
We are not yet at that phase. However he did recommend we do IVF based on a serious infection I previously had an the damage it did to one tube. He believes that with endo and that infection the chances that my remaining tube is functional is slim.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached.
I am currently self pay and a consult is around $450.
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass does not cut corners when working towards a successful pregnancy. She will always have your best interest at heart even if you may not feel that way during that long and stressful journey! Before her name goes on it she will make sure it's in the best interest of you and the baby...I felt like a human when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. I can appreciate anyone that will give it to me straight! I didn't feel rushed when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. She was very patient when speaking with me.
I absolutely love Michelle [nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center] I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass...The facility is clean. The staff is friendly. They're really good about responding to email. Build a good relationship with the nurses that way you're just as comfortable speaking with them like you are the doctors.
I am beyond thankful for Dr. Kawwass! She never made any promises which was so important to me. Dr. Kawwass made sure I knew about the possibility of a procedure not being successful. However, she would always have a game plan for me to follow. She would call to check up on me to see if I had any questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Lawrence)
Omg!!!!!! I absolutely love Michelle Lawrence! I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass.
Atlanta

she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery...She explains everything to you in a soft manner, I really like how she cares about her patients and she is very informative .
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were very helpful when I had my consultation... the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion...they are very caring...she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
She is very nice , very caring and she explains everything to me and I understand. I really like her . When I have a question, she is always available for me and I really like her bed side manner , I have had 2 surgeries with her so far and everything has went well.
I would let them know that she will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything.
They were very helpful when I had my consultation.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths I would say that they are very caring. Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Well it was one time where the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion.
Atlanta

I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. ... Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. ... I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. ... I never felt like a number at Emory. ... Just had one mix up over the phone with a nurse on date of an IUI but all was corrected before any damage was done.
I found doctor Kawwass after trying 2 other clinics int he area and the experience was night and day. I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. When my first attempts at injections did not produce the results I was hoping for Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me. Sure enough we did and this has resulted in my first pregnancy ever. Dr. Kawwass's empathy and kindness were a shining light in a scary and difficult time.
Dr. Kawwass will be realistic but also positive about your treatment options. Trust her. She is very knowledgeable and professional.
This is why I had switched clinics 2 times previously. I never felt like a number at Emory. Each treatment is an individualized approach with a doctor who cares about you and your results.
1st attempt (IUI) we used letrozole and I produced 3 mature follicles. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2nd (IVF) attempt we used an antagonist protocol with birth control pills. This resulted in only one follicle maturing and we converted to an IUI which was unsuccessful. 3rd attempt (IVF) we changed up my med protocol to estrogen patches (fearing the birth control pills had over suppressed me) Chlomid for 5 days and then lower doses of meds (75 Menopur and 150 Follistim) This resulted in 7 eggs, 6 mature, 2 good quality and transferred back on day 3. 9 weeks of pregnancy with 1 singleton. So far ultrasounds are going well and I have been released to choose regular obgyn.
Very prompt responses. Knowledgeable. I always felt safe trusting their advice and recommendations.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. Even though they are not choosing preferred patients (which is how I felt about the other clinics) their success rates are still some of the highest out there. I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. They each treated me as if they were my primary doctor and this is what has resulted in my pregnancy.
Cost for IUI, meds, and procedure totaled approximately 20-21K
I am very happy we went with a day 3, qty 2 embryo transfer. None of mine made it to freeze and I think the early transfer was what was best for them. They took time to warn me about the chance of multiples.