7.2
7.2

550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308

Dr. Kawwass was very attentive and listened to all of our concerns. The office staff were also very warm and friendly both in person and on the phone...listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Everything was great [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr.Kawwass listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Don't hesitate to ask questions. She was great at answering all of our questions and addressing our concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Antagonist IVF treatment. BCP on 1st day of Menses. Baseline. labs and ultrasounds. Start Stims after period starts again. Egg retrieval. Fresh Transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Sushila)
The nursing staff were great. Sushila was my main Nurse. She would always respond to me promptly through the patient portal or would call me. If she was not in office that say Nancy or someone else would respond to my inquiries right away. She went above and beyond to communicate with the office I was using for satellite monitoring as I am in Nashville and they are in Atlanta.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was great. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Our insurance covered IVF. We did have to pay out of pocket for ICSI ,our out of pocket amounts and the patient amount for the medications
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Single Embryo transfer was recommended as I was 29 yrs old at the time with no health issues.
2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr Kawwass remembers a lot about me, my job, my husband’s job, where we live. She looks me in the eyes when we speak instead of the computer and is doing everything in her power to get me pregnant. She seems to genuinely care about her patients... Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
Emory hospital is amazing, when I had my surgery to remove my hydrosalpinx, the nursing staff was outstanding and caring. I love the doctors there, even the fellows. they recently renovated the office and it looks great.
In 2017 I did three cycles of IVF. One fresh and two frozen. After none resulted in a pregnancy, I knew I needed a break. Two years came and went and when I returned to the clinic she remembered everything about me and my husband.
Dr Kawwass will do anything in her power to help you get the baby you have always wanted.
Egg retrieval from only one ovary because I lost on to a dermoid cyst. Three cycles, one fresh with one embryo because I was young and healthy. Two frozen cycles with two embryos because I requested. This most recent cycle we re did all of the bloodwork and diagnostic tests. My HSG showed blocked tube resulting in a diagnosis of hydrosalpinx. This was removed and we will start a frozen cycle in one month
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Michelle was my nurse in 2017 and she was wonderful. Always responded to questions quickly. Most recent staff is not as quick but they are sweet and helpful
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The costs included the monitoring-bloodwork and ultrasounds, all the medications. The frozen transfers included only the transfers
Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
Atlanta

Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her... My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses...I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer...Helen [nurse] was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things...The clinic is really nice and clean. Labs and US are efficient and fast. The front desk staff are great. Getting appointments are easy. We have had some issues with Emory charging us extra (that was fixed) but then also still waiting for them to refund us for services we didnt do.
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
As stated before, Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask as many questions as you can. They will be answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I never felt like a number. My questions were always answered quickly. Dr Hipp is very caring and passionate. She would even check in on me during her days off (Easter)
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I was initially delayed a couple of weeks because they found a cyst and my period didnt start. My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer. I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
Helen was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
$17,000 to $20,000 including medications
Atlanta

He [Dr. Toner] was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance...He recommended not doing pgs since I only had 1 embryo. Cost was important to me and I'd rather give it a try than send off for testing. He was willing to transfer note than 1 if I had more...Do your research and come prepared with questions. He will take the time to answer them but you need to narrow down what you want to discuss.
I found it [Emory University Reproductive Center] to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
How was your experience with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
He was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance. I feel very comfortable in his care. It is clear he knows what he is doing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had good discussions on my care. He listened and discussed research and the reasons why he was selecting aspects of my care.
Describe the protocols Jim Toner used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I used follistim 300 and menopur 150 daily for 11 days. Triggered with pregnyl 10,000 hcg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle was amazing! She was great at communicating and I felt like she was in my corner! This was my first experience with ivf and she made it very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I found it to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I think a cycle was around $15k.
Describe Jim Toner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Jim Toner
Atlanta

When we came to Dr. Schirmer III we were told that by a previous fertility clinic our only option was to go through IVF. Dr. Schirmer didn't agree with that and said let's exhaust all other options before we do that. He helped my husband by getting him with a male fertility specialist and in the end, that's what gave us our healthy baby girl.
The experience [at Emory University Reproductive Center] overall was wonderful. We hope to use them again soon. I can't think of anything that was negative or an area in which they needed to improve. They provided multiple treatment plans and a clear path to the next steps based on how things would progress. It was so helpful to see a roadmap of where we were going and what would happen each step along the way.
How was your experience with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Take him up on the sound advice he gives. He's very open to hearing what you would like and delivering realistic options to fit your timetable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
He was very sympathetic and hopeful. He gave us all the information we needed to make a concise decision.
Describe the protocols David Austin Schirmer III used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I was put on Metformin as that always helps regulate my period due to having PCOS. My husband was directed to a specialist who put him on Clomid. Clomid help my husband's sperm counts and motility.
They were very responsive and informative in their responses.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The experience overall was wonderful. We hope to use them again soon. I can't think of anything that was negative or an area in which they needed to improve. They provided multiple treatment plans and a clear path to the next steps based on how things would progress. It was so helpful to see a roadmap of where we were going and what would happen each step along the way.
David Austin Schirmer III
Atlanta

Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system.... Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times.... I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
Everything [Emory U] was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny....We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel.
Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel. Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times. Yes, that is right she would call as well to check on me. The only issue that is experiencing is that now that we are pregnant and had to graduate someone else it is difficult to find another doctor and staff to live up to ERC’s standards. 😊 This place really set the bar high. On the day of graduation, I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
If you haven't tried ERC you must give them a try.
IVF Injections/Patches SUCCESS on the first try Four months pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Michelle)
Nurse Michelle was incredibly charismatic. She was such a joy to be around. When I was worried, she helped to put my mind at ease. She loves leopard too.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny. They didn't behave like cash cows and was after people's money. It was evident that they wanted success for others and their families. They understood due to the high stakes and the emotions that come along with trying to conceive. They never got upset when I had so many questions. Boy did I have questions, and they were right there.
Roughly $40,000.
Atlanta

As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. ... Take her bluntness with a grain of salt because she is only giving realistic expectations instead of painting an unobtainable picture for you. She tells you what you need to hear, not what you necessarily want to hear. ...
It’s [Emory University Repro Center] very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply. ... They [nurses] were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had a very positive experience with Dr. Spencer. As a current student I came prepared with millions of questions spanning from the whole process, what my journey would be like, and how important finances are. She answered all questions to the best of her ability and made sure I understood her. She took all of my client specific concerns and addressed them realistically. I left fully understanding what my next steps needed to be.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. She took all person specific details of my life and gave me realistic answers. I appreciated the client-centered approach she took to make me feel like a human.
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
AMH testing and maintaining a close watch over me.
They were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It’s very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Without insurance, freezing eggs is $10,000. Freezing embryos is $20,000.
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
2019, Consult
So far I have only had one appointment with Dr Schirmer and he was very thorough. He explained each test and procedure he would like done and explains WHY and WHAT it would tell us. He also described a possible plan of action based on various possible results. He did say he ultimately felt like a more aggressive approach would be recommended in my case but at the end of the day we could do whatever I am comfortable with. I believe many others may consider him to be a fast talker however...
The clinic [Emory] was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached...Meeting with Tadzia after our consult gave us a chance to further discuss the testing that was needed and ask any other questions we may have had. She was very thorough and kind.
If you already have documents bring everything you have. Bring up anything that has happened in the past even if you believe it to not be related. Bring something to take notes.
Dr Schirmer spent a great deal of time going over my records and history with me. He even stopped and asked questions or stopped to explain his thoughts about the information being given. He answered questions my husband had without hesitation.
We are not yet at that phase. However he did recommend we do IVF based on a serious infection I previously had an the damage it did to one tube. He believes that with endo and that infection the chances that my remaining tube is functional is slim.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia)
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I am currently self pay and a consult is around $450.
David Austin Schirmer III
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass does not cut corners when working towards a successful pregnancy. She will always have your best interest at heart even if you may not feel that way during that long and stressful journey! Before her name goes on it she will make sure it's in the best interest of you and the baby...I felt like a human when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. I can appreciate anyone that will give it to me straight! I didn't feel rushed when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. She was very patient when speaking with me.
I absolutely love Michelle [nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center] I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass...The facility is clean. The staff is friendly. They're really good about responding to email. Build a good relationship with the nurses that way you're just as comfortable speaking with them like you are the doctors.
I am beyond thankful for Dr. Kawwass! She never made any promises which was so important to me. Dr. Kawwass made sure I knew about the possibility of a procedure not being successful. However, she would always have a game plan for me to follow. She would call to check up on me to see if I had any questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Lawrence)
Omg!!!!!! I absolutely love Michelle Lawrence! I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass.
Atlanta

she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery...She explains everything to you in a soft manner, I really like how she cares about her patients and she is very informative .
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were very helpful when I had my consultation... the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion...they are very caring...she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
She is very nice , very caring and she explains everything to me and I understand. I really like her . When I have a question, she is always available for me and I really like her bed side manner , I have had 2 surgeries with her so far and everything has went well.
I would let them know that she will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything.
They were very helpful when I had my consultation.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths I would say that they are very caring. Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Well it was one time where the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion.
Atlanta

I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. ... Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. ... I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. ... I never felt like a number at Emory. ... Just had one mix up over the phone with a nurse on date of an IUI but all was corrected before any damage was done.
I found doctor Kawwass after trying 2 other clinics int he area and the experience was night and day. I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. When my first attempts at injections did not produce the results I was hoping for Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me. Sure enough we did and this has resulted in my first pregnancy ever. Dr. Kawwass's empathy and kindness were a shining light in a scary and difficult time.
Dr. Kawwass will be realistic but also positive about your treatment options. Trust her. She is very knowledgeable and professional.
This is why I had switched clinics 2 times previously. I never felt like a number at Emory. Each treatment is an individualized approach with a doctor who cares about you and your results.
1st attempt (IUI) we used letrozole and I produced 3 mature follicles. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2nd (IVF) attempt we used an antagonist protocol with birth control pills. This resulted in only one follicle maturing and we converted to an IUI which was unsuccessful. 3rd attempt (IVF) we changed up my med protocol to estrogen patches (fearing the birth control pills had over suppressed me) Chlomid for 5 days and then lower doses of meds (75 Menopur and 150 Follistim) This resulted in 7 eggs, 6 mature, 2 good quality and transferred back on day 3. 9 weeks of pregnancy with 1 singleton. So far ultrasounds are going well and I have been released to choose regular obgyn.
Very prompt responses. Knowledgeable. I always felt safe trusting their advice and recommendations.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. Even though they are not choosing preferred patients (which is how I felt about the other clinics) their success rates are still some of the highest out there. I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. They each treated me as if they were my primary doctor and this is what has resulted in my pregnancy.
Cost for IUI, meds, and procedure totaled approximately 20-21K
I am very happy we went with a day 3, qty 2 embryo transfer. None of mine made it to freeze and I think the early transfer was what was best for them. They took time to warn me about the chance of multiples.
Atlanta

combination of empathy and competence makes her [Dr. Kawwass] uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring...Come prepared with any and all questions--she will take the time to answer all of them and make sure you have the information you need...was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS...Strengths: The doctors and their team approach to treatment. The nurses, including the night/weekend nurse Michelle (she was always open to answering questions and providing adequate context and explanation). Weaknesses: The billing and financial side of the house. While very friendly, communication could have been better. It is strangely difficult to pay them because you have to hunt down this one person (Tereon, who is never at her desk) to take your information instead of paying online or having a centralized number where multiple people could take your CC info. I recommend double-checking your insurance claims for accuracy.
Dr. Kawwass is hands-down one of the best, if not THE best, doctors we have ever had in any specialty. Her combination of empathy and competence makes her uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring.
Dr. Kawwass always knew us and our history before meeting with us. She demonstrated genuine compassion and concern for our previous pregnancy-related complications, and she inspired confidence in her treatment plan and our ultimate success.
Dr. Kawwass was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
My primary nurse changed mid-treatment because my original nurse (Lutissa) left the clinic. My care was not interrupted, and Mary and Nancy picked up where Lutissa left off. Nancy is little more no-nonsense and is reluctant to classify any symptoms or experiences as "normal". I appreciated her willingness to distinguish when patients should or should not be concerned. Mary is very kind, compassionate, encouraging, and competent. Her answers to questions were always reassuring and optimistic (when appropriate). Even when sharing mixed news (e.g. a great, thick lining but a low serum E2), she was reassuring.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass clearly conveyed that a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS. We felt confident in this decision.
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass felt like we needed to transfer both of our embryos at the same time given my age and to get us pregnant. It worked with 1 of them!...asked us in depth questions other doctors had not asked. She was very sensitive to what we had been through with 1 failed IVF cycle and didn't make huge promises. She was always very candid and cautious but optimistic. Her kind and genuine demeanor made us feel like she cared about us and wasn't trying to "sell" IVF to us or any process. She let us decide how we wanted to try to get pregnant.
Our nurse, care coordinator and all of the nursing staff [at Emory University Reproductive Center] were so kind. They all were pleasant each day we were at their office and knew me by name after my second appointment...The clinic is great about scheduling where you do not wait long at all. I've been to other doctor's where you felt like you were in a "baby mill" because of all of the people waiting. The only weakness is the parking of the Midtown office, but that's to be expected with Atlanta!
Dr. Kawwass loves what she does and it shows. She immediately assessed the diagnosis of our previous doctor and informed me I was not in pre-menopause as the other doctor had stated. She was clear that we had some unexplained reasons for not getting pregnant but checked on things the other doctor hadn't. She was great about reviewing our previous medical history and results and made changes to the protocol that I firmly believe got us pregnant. Her kindness and directness made us feel like she wasn't "selling" us and wanted to make sure we were taking the road we actually wanted to take.
Call her ASAP if you are having issues getting pregnant. She will be honest about your results and will dive into many aspects of your health and medical history to try and find the true reason behind your infertility. She's also extremely sensitive to how hard the process is and you feel like she cares and wants to help.
Dr. Kawwass asked us in depth questions other doctors had not asked. She was very sensitive to what we had been through with 1 failed IVF cycle and didn't make huge promises. She was always very candid and cautious but optimistic. Her kind and genuine demeanor made us feel like she cared about us and wasn't trying to "sell" IVF to us or any process. She let us decide how we wanted to try to get pregnant.
Dr. Kawwass put me on the max dosage of the stimulation medications, used estrogen patches instead of birth control to set my hormone levels and also put me on the max progesterone injections. Her methods were to get as many eggs as she could given my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Anderson)
Our nurse, care coordinator and all of the nursing staff were so kind. They all were pleasant each day we were at their office and knew me by name after my second appointment. I felt like I was in a family's home not a doctor's office due to the intimate nature of their office and quick wait time for each appointment.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Our insurance had infertility coverage so the costs with Dr. Kawwass were pleasantly smaller than our last experience without insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Only one time our nurse forgot to schedule the ultrasound. We arrived to the clinic and they didn't have our appointment scheduled. But the staff immediately worked to get us in and we waited less than 20 minutes for the ultrasound. Great response if you ask me :)

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire... Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too.
All of the nurses [at Emory] are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.... There was only one instance when the nurse contacted me to have tests performed that I had already completed earlier in the month. It seemed as if she and the doctor and on call team from the weekends had not been communicating about my case.
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire. She is there when you need her. She helps you get through the tough times and celebrate the victories.
Come prepared with questions, goals and objectives. She is open and honest and will answer all of your questions to the best of her ability.
She cared about my personal journey, getting to know both my husband and I and our goals and desires.
Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too. Now we are in the process of proceeding with IVF since four IUIs did not result in pregnancy.
All of the nurses are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is strong in research, IVF and availability. They are able to get a substantial number of patients pregnant through treatment cycles. They are weak in availability sometimes on the weekends.
My insurance does not cover most infertility costs so medications were not covered but ultrasounds and IUIs were. I had to pay for all medications and any other things that were part of the IVF process
Dr. Kawwass is very clear about the need for eSET and recommends it avidly throughout your care.
Atlanta

Dr. Spencer is always open and available to listen to my concerns and make necessary changes to my protocol after listening to me. For example, the last doctor that treated me never listened to my concerns about how the medications affected me in a major way. The meds would cause me not to ovulate properly and so when I finally went to Dr. Spencer, I informed her about this situation and she listened and made adjustments to my meds and protocol. I was sooooo happy she listened because after the medication changes I got pregnant, but it ended in a miscarriage that wasn’t Dr.Spencer’s fault. If I was ever uncomfortable during a procedure, she would even hold my hand and calm me down. I am very satisfied as a patient at Emory. Its more than excellent. Dr. Spencer is professional, patient, and kind. She takes the time to explain my care fully and also asks if I understand, if not, she fully explains until I get it. She gives me the time I need to make sound decisions and never pushy. Again, I can’t stress enough about how awesome my experience is every single time I go in for a visit at Emory with Dr. Spencer.
I would say to not be afraid to talk to Dr.Spencer. i would tell someone to let their guard down and just be open-minded and listen because ahe gives good advice and won’t lead you astray. I’d also advise them that they should set-up one on one appointments with her often to get more time to talk to her.
I was treated extremely well like a human by Dr. Spencer and her nurse staff. Emory Reproductive has a portal where you can sign-in on a computer and/or mobile device and directly contact their staff and Dr.Spencer at any single given time. This direct communication gave me a sense of security that I have always wanted from any medical doctor and facility. If I ever had a problem with my perscription, appointment dates or times, bleeding heavily, or aches and pains.... Someone was available and rady to answer my call or questions 24/7 and 365. I have never had such a caring staff and medical doctor ever before. Dr. Spencer listens to my concerns and even gives me personal advice on my medical treatment and orther situations, for example, I wanted to stop treatment, but she knew that I was just having a hard time since my embryo transfers kept failing. Dr. Spencer would give me tge mkat encouraging, sweet, and motivational speeches that would lift my spirits and help me to contine the fertility cycles. She is a very personable and lovable person and I’ll forever appreciate her and how she cares for her patients like me. She also rescheduled and made changes to her own personal schedule to make sure she is in the office to do my treatments since I have been so scared to let another doctor treat me. She is so awesome!
The long lupron protocol was done on my last cycle. I started tge lupron shots approximately 6 or 7 days before my expected period. I also would place on estradiol patches daily. Once monitored by my ultrasound shows my follicles have matured, then it was time to move into the final process. Secondly, Dr. Spencer found that I can ovulate perfectly on my own and that I would only need to do a natural FET. So we wait until my cycle came on and on a certain day of my cycle I go in for and ultrasound and look at my follicles. After they get to a certain point I have a Ovadriel trigger shot. Four days after I have a embryo transfer.
The nursing staff is absolutely amazing and always on top of my care. They are always prompt in responses about my kab results as well. If I have a question or concern, they always tell me that they would first consult with my doctor. This showed that they truly care about accuracy of advice and care that was given. I don’t see any weaknesss with the staff at this moment. They always have open availabilty and I they work around my personal schedule. For example, if I want to come in earlier than my scheduled time for an appointment, the nurse always says that fine. They are very accommodating and nice. I really appreciate this because my personal schedule can be very unpredictable from week to week. Also, when I had a miscarriage, Lisa would give me a call and check on me to just see how I was feeling. This was very touching and I appreciated the concern.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic overall is very organized. The only thing I had a small problem with was getting in touch with financial advisor to speak directly yo her about my billing. But I would say that they are on top of the financial side behind the scenes, meaning they are working really hard and getting all your claims covered as faat as possible. The financial advisor is very sweet and helpful, but just a little difficult to get in contact with if you have questions. They do get back to you, but probably not as soon as you would like, but thats understandable because she handles hundreds and thousands of patients files. The front desk people are very cordial and awesome. They greet you with a smile and are very helpful if you need to anything. For example, they would hunt down a nurse or doctor if you need them right away. Overall, the clinic is great!
The cost of the ivf cycle was $12,000 and the embry transfers was $2700.
She had a string preference for the number transferred since most of them failed, so she recommended two per embryo transfer. She said my chances would be better. I had yet to get pregnant until I started treatment with Dr. Spencer and since taking her advice with the transfer of two.... I got pregnant with twins the last transfer, but they ended both as blighted ovums. So her recommendation to transfer two actually worked.
Atlanta

Dr Kawwass was very thorough and communicative. She took time to make sure I understood the process and had the support I needed. I didn’t see her every visit, but she did answer all emails and checked in on me frequently. She was a great patient advocate when I went in for surgeries and procedures... Clomid, femara and combined with metformin. IUIs as progressive treatment. Not recommended more than three, as results don’t improve. Injections as last resort given percentage of success balanced with cost vs other option.
I like that it’s [Emory] a teaching clinic. Long wait times on day of appointment and schedulers frequently made errors. Make sure to confirm appointment time online. Billing is very confusing, but Tereon is helpful... Sometimes the nurse could be disorganized - sending scripts to wrong pharmacy, not including all medications or miscalendaring dosages. That made me feel like a number. However, she took the time to speak with me at length several times a week to walk through instructions and always promptly corrected any issues.
The initial visit is overwhelming, and Dr Kawwass is straightforward, so ask as many questions as you want and she’ll take the time to go through everything.
Dr Kawwass took the time to hear my concerns and treat me as a human being. Her entire staff knew me, checked in on me and became my support system. Dr Kawwass always answered my emails and took the time I needed to answer all questions. She showed genuine care for me.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I like that it’s a teaching clinic. Long wait times on day of appointment and schedulers frequently made errors. Make sure to confirm appointment time online. Billing is very confusing, but Tereon is helpful.
16k for retrieval and two transfers.
Preference for single transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Most had to do with missing prescriptions or using the wrong dates on the calendar. It did lead me to double check everything.

2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Jessica Spencer is an amazing Doctor. She make sure she listens to you when you have questions and concerns and also answer accurately. She doesn't rush you in and out like some doctor so. She makes sure your are satisfied with whatever you come I for. She is an incredible Doctor and I would recommend her to friends and family...She prescribed me clomid/Letrazole and told me to use it on day 3-7, then come in on day 12 for ultrasounds. The clomid/Letrazole did give me good size follicles which was awesome. I was also prescribed ovidrel to use per Doctors order.
The front desk personal [at Emory University Reproductive Center] was absolutely wonderful. She had great personality. The nurses are also awesome. They listen to whatever you have to say and also get the right answer to whatever questions you have. They treat you like family...The only problem I had with the clinic was the financial department. She hardly return your calls/email. Make sure you don't get rushed in that department because that's what they always do. Also make sure you have the necessary questions answered and also the necessary document needed to either apply for a loan or bet on financial assistant.
I will tel them to be patient and make sure the ask all the questions needed and if they are not satisfied with the answer they should asked for in-depth answer because sometimes the doctor thinks you know everything like the terminologies that are been used during discussions.
I was treaded like a human because she took her time to explain the necessary steps and procedures I will end up doing. Even tho I didn't get to see her during all my visit, she always respond to my emails when I message her. She was great.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Shameka)
The front desk personal was absolutely wonderful. She had great personality. The nurses are also awesome. They listen to whatever you have to say and also get the right answer to whatever questions you have. They treat you like family.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The visit is usually covered by my insurance. The only thing I had to pay for was my copay and payment for the two IUI services
Atlanta

I had a wonderful experience at Emory. From billing to scheduling to communication after hours, all of my questions were answered and needs were met. The staff is knowledgeable and they truly act as a team to support your care. ... Everyone at the clinic was wonderful, though. From fellows to phlebotomists, everyone was a cheerleader! ... I worked with Helen, primarily. She was an effective communicator, kind when answering questions, and was quick to respond.
Dr. Hipp was a compassionate, smart, kind, and generous provider. She went above and beyond when it came to communication and relationship building. She gave us data so that we could make informed decisions, but didn’t treat us like data ourselves. She offered guidance, support, and treated me like a sister. When I needed a surgery that was outside the scope of her practice, she tracked down the best surgeon in the city and consulted with him. I always felt like I had the best of the best on my team, led by Dr. Hipp.
Be honest with her about your questions and fears. No question is stupid, and no fear unwarranted.
Dr. Hipp is extremely personable, remembers details about patients’ lives that are unrelated to fertility. She recognizes that family building is time consuming and stressful, but that her patients have whole lives outside of the clinic. She understood this while being completely committed to patient success.
I worked with Helen, primarily. She was an effective communicator, kind when answering questions, and was quick to respond. Everyone at the clinic was wonderful, though. From fellows to phlebotomists, everyone was a cheerleader!
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
IUIs were about $1k with medication. Egg retrieval and embryo with icsi was about $15k. Embryo transfers were about $5k
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I had a strong preference for a single embryo transfer. She supported that 100%.

3 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Our experience with [Dr.] Kawwass was magnificent. She treated our whole picture - not only our GC treatment...took the time to review what the next moves for me as a patient would be, as well as placing our sweet embryo ever so perfectly to give us our sweet baby girl who we strived for over a 5 year journey... I felt she not only listened to what I had to say, including my history and my goals, but used that information to provide her opinions regarding my care rather than letting me steer the ship, or ignore me entirely. I feel Dr. Kawwass was unique in providing me with care you don't usually see these days. She really cared.
Both Mary and Lutissa [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Care] were excellent. They were quick to respond to my many portal messages and passed messages along when needed. Mary stepped in when I needed additional care post release from ERC and I found that to be very heartwarming. She could have given me the run around, but did not, passing my message along to Dr. Kawwass when I needed to reach her.
Dr. Kawwass was a part of the end of our journey, as our journey began a few years prior to landing in her care after transferring clinics and our original doctor leaving the practice. At first we were disappointed our doctor was leaving at such a pivotal point in our care (transfer to gestational carrier); however, after meeting Dr. Kawwass we were smitten! She was so kind, professional, empathetic and informative. She really listened to our history and provided insight into our whole picture - my care, as well as our GC. I am proud to say she will continue to be our doctor throughout our fertility journey, should/when we decide to pursue another transfer in the future.
I encourage anyone seeking fertility treatment to take an active part in their journey. Ask the questions that come to mind, and digest the information given to you fully. You have a say, and can decide what treatments you do and do not wish to take part in. The doctors, especially Kawwass, will guide you in whatever direction they feel is best based on the facts presented to them, but this is a partnership, so don't be shy to speak up if you want to explore other treatment options (fresh vs. frozen, IUI vs IVF, etc.
I have previously felt I have been treated like a number, but not by Dr. Kawwass. I felt she not only listened to what I had to say, including my history and my goals, but used that information to provide her opinions regarding my care rather than letting me steer the ship, or ignore me entirely. I feel Dr. Kawwass was unique in providing me with care you don't usually see these days. She really cared.
Again, the majority of my journey was at another clinic, with Emory reviewing records and redoing a few tests they felt needed to be updated; therefore, I cannot provide a whole picture of Emory, as I came to them with frozen embryos. I originally saw a doctor which has since left Emory. That original doctor is who did my transfer, with Kawwass picking things up once we moved onto a gestational carrier. Our experience with Kawwass was magnificent. She treated our whole picture - not only our GC treatment. Dr. Kawwass took the time to review what the next moves for me as a patient would be, as well as placing our sweet embryo ever so perfectly to give us our sweet baby girl who we strived for over a 5 year journey. Obviously, the positive outcome helped, but aside from our wonderful outcome, we found Dr. Kawwass to be thorough with incredible bedside manner. She is highly intelligent and it shows in her treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary and Lutissa)
Both Mary and Lutissa were excellent. They were quick to respond to my many portal messages and passed messages along when needed. Mary stepped in when I needed additional care post release from ERC and I found that to be very heartwarming. She could have given me the run around, but did not, passing my message along to Dr. Kawwass when I needed to reach her.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clinic's strengths are the doctors and the nurses. Their weaknesses is by far their financial team. I, like many patients I'm sure, had quite a time with their financial team, having to get the clinic's manager involved when I requested a simple financial statement showing the amounts paid and why. I was also double billed and had to go through several hoops to get this resolved, which is not something you have time to do when you are managing your gestational carrier's care.
Luckily, I had insurance that had infertility coverage; therefore, my out of pocket costs were somewhat low - thousands, rather than tens of thousands. Now, with a gestational carrier, you must pay out of pocket, which also was only thousands rather than tens of thousands when it came to the reproductive piece given we already had frozen embryos which were transferred from another clinic.
During our care, Emory transferred two embryos for our first attempt with them (third overall) and 1 embryo when transferring to our GC.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had to call to have someone share the results of our transfer with me. Again, we had two transfers with this clinic - one with me, and another with a carrier. The clinic failed to call me with my results, resulting in me calling 5 hours after my appointment because I just couldn't take the anxiety any longer. They of course said someone had to call me back. The results were negative, so I felt as though no one wanted to deliver the bad news.
Atlanta
Emory uses Patient Portal so patients and doctors can communicate. All of my messages were answered in a timely manner! It’s a very convenient system. The waiting room area is quiet, clean, and modern. The front desk staff is very professional and friendly! One thing I loved about Emory is that no matter who you saw that day as you checked in, got your ultrasound or lab work completed - EVERYONE was professional and friendly. To them you’re more than your patient number, you become a part of their family and they’re there to make sure all of your questions are answered and your journey is as pleasant as possible.
I loved ERC!!! Dr. Kawwass is very knowledgeable, informative, positive, and involved throughout the process. She takes the time to answer all of your questions, and is very upfront. We went through 3 stim cycles and after the second failed she even contacted me over the weekend to see how I was doing and to give recommendations for the next cycle – which was successful! I appreciate the fact that each stim cycle was different in terms of the medication protocol that was used. I could tell the team was reviewing my chart and making adjustments based on how my body responded each time. (The last reproductive center my husband and I were at kept using the same methods each time, and didn’t bother to alter anything even though we weren’t getting any results. It made us feel like they just wanted to keep our hopes up and take our money.)
Don't expect to see her every visit; however, you're in great hands with the other staff members who will be providing you with your primary care for that particular visit, i.e. sonographers and phlebotomists. If you happen to have more questions, they're great about asking you if you'd like to speak with a Nurse before you leave. She goes into great detail about your plan of action and how the overall process works during your intake appointment. You're in great hands with Dr. Kawwass.
I felt like a human because Dr. Kawwass contacted me over the weekend after a failed stim cycle to see how I was feeling, and to give me recommendations for the next cycle. I appreciate the fact that each protocol was changed based on how my body responded each time. They weren't choosing cookie-cutter protocols. They tailored them to meet my needs.
1st Stim Cycle - 75 iu Menopur 2x's/day, 450 units Follistim 1x/day - Produced 4 eggs, 0 fertilized, 2nd Stim Cycle - 75 iu Menopur 2x's/day, 450 units Follistim 1x/day, and Lupron - Did not produce eggs large enough for retrieval 3rd Stim Cycle - Clomid, menopur, 150 units follistim, Cetrotide - Produced 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, 4 embryos
The nurses were friendly and very thorough. My husband and I went through 3 cycles, and I would recommend that patients receive new schedules for each cycle. I didn't receive one my last cycle, and didn't know I was supposed to start taking one of my medications on a certain day because I was used to the nurse telling me and I typically had a sheet to follow. It was an error on both of our parts, but it was resolved quickly - I was able to get a new calendar via the portal.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled during the morning hours so they could contact you that afternoon about your status and when you should begin taking other meds or do your trigger shot. You simply checked in and you were buzzed back within 5 or so minutes for your ultrasound. The only time the wait was longer than usual was when the computer system was on the fritz. Other than that, the staff was always efficient.
ERC offers various financial packages. It depends on how many transfers and cycles you'd like to purchase.
The process explained to us was if we did a day 5 transfer, they'd transfer 1 embryo. If we did a day 3 transfer, they'd transfer 2 embryos. We were given the option to do a day 3 or 5 transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Each cycle you receive a calendar that lists your medications, amount, and start/stop days. For my 2nd and 3rd protocol/cycle, I didn't receive one. I simply wrote on the 1st one during my 2nd cycle, and didn't think to ask for one during my 3rd cycle since everything was always communicated via phone with the Nurse. It turned out to be fine, but I did not start taking one of my medications on the day I was scheduled to start. The nurse and I resolved the issue. I simply asked for a new schedule for this cycle.
Atlanta
I have not gone through my treatment plan with Dr. Kawwass yet as it will not start until January, but Dr. Kawwass is definitely providing a more individualized approach to my IVY cycle than my previous doctor. She has tailored my treatment based on my previous results. She will be increasing the dosage of my stimulation as well as performing a sonohysterogram prior to the IVF cycle.... She goes above and beyond for her patients and takes the time to meet with each patient and review any questions or concerns. She is extremely knowledgeable and informative regarding all parts of the process of fertility treatment.
Again, I have not had extensive interaction with the clinic yet as I have only had my consultation and communication with nurses through the portal, but Emory truly seem like an excellent fertility clinic already. I am more hopeful and excited than I ever was with my previous clinic and that can mainly be attributed to the staff as well as the high level of care provided at Emory... About $10,000 for an IVF cycle, not including medications.
I have only been a patient with Dr. Kawwass for a brief time, but already I have seen the excellent care she provides to her patients. She goes above and beyond for her patients and takes the time to meet with each patient and review any questions or concerns. She is extremely knowledgeable and informative regarding all parts of the process of fertility treatment.
She is always open to answering all questions so do not hold back anything.
Dr. Kawwass is extremely compassionate and truly individualizes the care she provides.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa)
I have not had extensive interaction with the care team yet but thus far they have been excellent in regards to communication, especially through the patient portal. They have been extremely thorough with instructions.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
About $10,000 for an IVF cycle, not including medications.
Dr. Kawwass recommends eSET (at least in my case) for the best possible outcome and to avoid complications that twins my cause.
Atlanta
Dr Hipp was very caring and understanding of how hard this journey has been. The nursing staff and the fellows were absolutely wonderful, always compassionate and gentle. It's such an emotional process and they understand that and treated me like a real person with feelings.... She was very personal and kind. We had to switch doctors after 4 IUI because the previous Dr left the practice, which was very scary, but Dr Hipp picked right up where we left off and didn't make me repeat anything.
Clean office [Emory University Reproductive Ctr], friendly receptionists. Most appointments we're very timely, things got backed up on the weekend appointments due to short staffing I think. They have a nice TV Which is helpful for distraction when I got stressed.... I loved all of the nurses at this office!!! They were so kind and caring, always encouraging me along the way. They answered my questions via message portal in an extremely quick manner and often called me back in less than an hour when decisions needed to be made quickly. They talked me through timing/schedule options which was very helpful when I was traveling during treatment. When I got pregnant the nurse was so happy for us!
She was very personal and kind. We had to switch doctors after 4 IUI because the previous Dr left the practice, which was very scary, but Dr Hipp picked right up where we left off and didn't make me repeat anything. Treatment continued exactly as planned with the previous doctor and I really appreciated that. When we got pregnant she was so encouraging and made sure we were considering our next steps and answered our questions.
The previous doctor helped with most of the strategy (Dr McKenzie), but Dr Hipp allowed us to continue with that plan when we switched to her. We had 4 IUI with Femara and 6 previous clomid cycles. We were allowed to choose to do up to 2 more IUI cycles or change to IVF. The choice was very helpful. I took a 2 month break for emotional reasons then returned for #5 which was successful!!
OMG I loved all of the nurses at this office!!! They were so kind and caring, always encouraging me along the way. They answered my questions via message portal in an extremely quick manner and often called me back in less than an hour when decisions needed to be made quickly. They talked me through timing/schedule options which was very helpful when I was traveling during treatment. When I got pregnant the nurse was so happy for us!
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clean office, friendly receptionists. Most appointments we're very timely, things got backed up on the weekend appointments due to short staffing I think. They have a nice TV Which is helpful for distraction when I got stressed.
I paid for all IUI cycles out of pocket which was about $1500 per cycle after all bills. This was for ultrasounds, IUI and Dr bills
Atlanta
The communication with the office (if you've been doing IVF, you know how important that is!) was fantastic, so easy, so reliable [at Emory University Reproductive Care]...Phone calls also were extremely easy, and I never felt blocked from the people I was trying to reach. I felt very well looked after, and this communication made the whole process so much easier than it might have been in such a stressful, complicated experience. I worked with three other clinics during my whole fertility experience, and before I was at Emory I was **miserable** and so so so stressed out. It was awful. Emory provided the level of professional, patient-centered care every patient deserves. I am actually working on getting involved in healthcare advocacy in my community because I can't believe how poorly I was treated in the other clinics, and I want patients to know that care like what I received at Emory is possible, and they deserve it, too!
Dr. Kawwass and her entire staff were amazing. I had worked previously with two other doctors who either treated me like a number or their staff did. I was extremely stressed out and felt like I had to fight to get attention and the level of concern about my care that I expected. And then I met Dr. Kawwass. I can't imagine more patient-centered, positive, thoughtful, encouraging, professional care. She looked me in the eye, she followed through with questions, she was very empathetic, and her staff was all of those as well. The communication with the office (if you've been doing IVF, you know how important that is!) was fantastic, so easy, so reliable. I felt 100% safe in her care. I actually live quite far from Atlanta but ended up working with Dr. Kawwass because our donor lived close by, and I am so so glad I made that choice. Would recommend Dr. Kawwass (and her colleagues; I also worked a couple of times with Dr. Hipp) to anyone without reservation. That practice should be a model for all other fertility clinics.
Don't hesitate to connect with her! If you are at all questioning whether your current doctor is the right fit for you, meet Dr. Kawwass.
3 embryo transfers with donor egg. So sorry that I have forgotten my protocols, but Dr. Kawwass did make adjustments, and I think I don't remember the protocols because I trusted her judgment (not the case with my previous doctors).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Ellsworth)
My experience of IVF treatments was that communication with the staff was CRUCIAL. Nancy and the rest of the Emory team were amazing. They communicated very easily via the patient portal, which was critical for me because I was working in a fast-paced, meeting-heavy, open office, which meant I couldn't take phone calls whenever they might have come in. Emailing was key. I never felt my messages got lost -- people responded right away, and with excellent details, charts, etc. Phone calls also were extremely easy, and I never felt blocked from the people I was trying to reach. I felt very well looked after, and this communication made the whole process so much easier than it might have been in such a stressful, complicated experience. I worked with three other clinics during my whole fertility experience, and before I was at Emory I was **miserable** and so so so stressed out. It was awful. Emory provided the level of professional, patient-centered care every patient deserves. I am actually working on getting involved in healthcare advocacy in my community because I can't believe how poorly I was treated in the other clinics, and I want patients to know that care like what I received at Emory is possible, and they deserve it, too!
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I think I covered this in the other sections of my review, but I think this clinic should be a model for all other fertility clinics. I hope they are honored by their professional community for their work. And I certainly hope that many many other patients are able to receive care from these wonderful practitioners.
$35K?
I believe the clinic recommends single embryo transfer.
Atlanta
She [Dr. Heather Hipp] is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through.... We have only been seeing her for a couple of months, but our first visit with her we already knew that she was going to be the dr we choose. She truly shows how much she cares, and puts everything into the end goal, which is to get a successful pregnancy.
Overall, clinic [Emory University] is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.... She [Dr. Heather Hipp] is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through
She is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through.
She is very sweet, and if I can't get a hold of the dr, she is quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Overall, clinic is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.
Still undergoing that process...
We advised us that it would be best to only transfer one at a time. This would benefit from health risks as well as multiples.
Atlanta

Dr. Spencer and her team were extremely responsive to my needs. ... Dr. Spencer was careful tweak my dosages little by little to prevent over-stimulation during my initial IVF stimulation cycle. ... Dr. Spencer personally performed and oversaw all of my procedures ... She took the time to meet with us and discussed all our diagnoses and options fully. We never felt rushed, and her bedside manner is impeccable. ...
Monitoring appointments [Emory] were held during the same window of time each day ... nearly always completed in 15 - 20 minutes or less. ... I experienced a scheduling mishap during my initial screening for IVF candidacy. ... I paid roughly $25,000 out-of-pocket for IVF treatment ... Billing was sometimes slower than I would have liked, but we received detailed invoicing and plenty of time in which to pay our bills. ...
Dr. Spencer is extremely knowledgeable! She was able to fully answer mine and my husband's questions on the spot and in terms we could easily understand. She took the time to meet with us and discussed all our diagnoses and options fully. We never felt rushed, and her bedside manner is impeccable. Dr. Spencer personally performed and oversaw all of my procedures, and we received a positive outcome following our first cycle and frozen transfer!
Ask a lot of questions to set expectations because Dr. Spencer will provide complete and honest answers.
Dr. Spencer and her team were extremely responsive to my needs. All my questions and concerns were answered and alleviated quickly, and my care and outcome were top notch!
Dr. Spencer was careful tweak my dosages little by little to prevent over-stimulation during my initial IVF stimulation cycle. I underwent additional monitoring to ensure any changes in medication dosage took the desired effects. My stimulation cycle took a couple days longer than initially anticipated, but her careful attention to detail ensured that she was able to retrieve 18 mature eggs from which to work while also keeping me healthy throughout.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
The nursing staff was very compassionate and responsive to my needs. All questions and concerns were answered and addressed within a business day or less.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Most visits were quick and easy. I did experience one mishap with scheduling, though the doctor and nursing staff were able to accommodate me anyhow. The team is fairly organized, and it's clear they abide by strict routines and policies to make certain day-to-day operations run as smoothly as possible. Billing was sometimes slower than I would have liked, but we received detailed invoicing and plenty of time in which to pay our bills.
Monitoring appointments were held during the same window of time each day, however, each patient was provided with their own specific appointment time, so I never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes to be seen. Once I was called back, my ultrasound and bloodwork procedures were completed immediately. My monitoring appointments were nearly always completed in 15 - 20 minutes or less.
I paid roughly $25,000 out-of-pocket for IVF treatment, including all anesthesia, procedures, and additional monitoring. My various prescriptions costs were about $3,500.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I experienced a scheduling mishap during my initial screening for IVF candidacy. The doctor and the nursing staff were able to accommodate me on-the-spot, so no repeat visits or testing were ever required.