550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-778-3401

Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. Kawwass is a wonderful physician. She took the time to explain our treatment plan and options available to us. She personally called me multiple times to discuss our treatment plans. She understands the emotional toll IVF takes on a couple and I could tell that she genuinely cared about our feelings during the IVF process. It is rare to find a physician that is so incredibly smart/up to date and who also has a wonderful bedside manner...
It is clean [at Emory], the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I cannot say enough about how much my husband and I have enjoyed working with Dr. Kawwass. She always took the time to explain to us our treatment options and probability of success. We were always seen on time for our appointments, which is important if you have a busy work schedule. She is readily reachable via the patient portal, a phone call to the clinic, and through her nurse.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Trust her! She is up to date on the IVF literature and incredibly smart. She will not suggest something unless she thinks there is a reason to do so.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We had a hard time getting the lining of my uterus thick enough for transfer. We tried different estrogen combinations to thicken up my lining. I liked that the clinic adjusted my medications when I was not having success with the original protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa )
Lutissa is amazing! She is so responsive on the patient portal. I knew that if I wrote her she would get back to me within 24 hours (most of the time I had a response in a couple of hours). She gives very clear instructions and is incredibly knowledgable about treatment protocols. I knew that I was in good hands with her and she had excellent communication skills.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It is clean, the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Approximately 27K for a fresh donor egg cycle plus 1 FET cycle. 27K included the contact I purchased through ARC and the donor's medication
Treated 2016
Dr. Bowling added a personal touch to her treatment. I felt like she really cared about our success and was patient and caring when we met and I would share concerns and become emotional from past experiences. She also performed a hysteroscopy and walked me to the operating room. She met with my husband and provided a full explanation of her findings as well. She went above and beyond my expectations for providing a personal, yet very professional, consultation and service throughout the process...
The [Emory] clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation...
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Schedule an appointment to meet with her before beginning the process. She is kind and willing to discuss the entire process and answer any questions you may have. I'd also find out what her on-call schedule is so you can make sure she's available when scheduling the retrieval/transfer. The dates and timing are very dependent on the timing of the cycle but it's good to know ahead of time. If she's not scheduled to provide transfers/retrievals the day you're scheduled one of her colleagues will be there and they're all really great as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
She made time to meet and speak with me before beginning a new cycle. She'd stop and say hello and ask how things were going when I was in the office and she would pass by. Dr. Bowling called me directly, not a nurse, to let me know about my positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I always knew I'd hear from a nurse later in the day. If I had any questions I could call the office and a nurse would return my call by the end of the day. I could also message them online via Emory Portal and my emails were always responded to by the end of day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation. Because of that I was never billed during the process and received a call from Emory's billing department demanding payment. I had inquired to the nurses and the financial consultant for the office during my visits and they assured me someone would contact to schedule payment or financing options. That never happened so I ended up having to take care of everything in a rushed manner to avoid getting sent to a collection agency. This aspect would be the weakest area for the office. I don't believe the business manager runs a very tight ship in that regard. Had I known, I would have called the financing company on my own and made arrangements during my cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I financed a fresh cycle with frozen and ICSI for around $11,000. My insurance covers labs so I didn't need to include those in my loan.
Meaghan Bowling
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me. She wants you to succeed and is open to trying new approaches as treatments progress...
[At Emory] For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse...
Jennifer Kawwass, and other Emory Reproductive Center doctors, seem conservative with their protocol for deciding how many embryos to transfer. I don't know this from personal experience, but have heard from friends of similar age and medical issues that there was more risk for multiples taken on during their treatments. I was only allowed to transfer two day 5 embryos after my second retrieval and two failed transfers. I have multiple friends who did two day 5 embryos (some even PGS screened) on their first retrieval and transfer.
After being diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I had four IUI's and two IVF egg retrievals with three embryo transfers performed at Emory Reproductive Center over the course of the last 1.5 years. None of the procedures resulted in a pregnancy. My primary doctor was Jennifer Kawwass. I chose to receive care from Emory because of their overall level of education and expertise compared to other clinics in the Atlanta area. Not only do you receive attention from some of the most highly qualified specialists in the country, but you also work with doctors doing fellowships who are young, bright, eager and up-to-date on the latest research. Between IUI's and IVF I went to GRS to receive IVF treatment (which didn't lead to pregnancy either) because I wanted to try somewhere new and different. But, I ended up going back to Emory because I felt that the doctors were smarter and more invested in my success. When treatments failed, I felt like they were experiencing the failure with me. The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. But, for me, I decided I was ok dealing with them because at the end of the day what mattered most was the decisions my doctors made and the quality of the procedures I received from medical staff. Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me.
I did two retrievals with the same approach. Both utilized Lupron to suppress my ovaries and I stimulated egg production with Follistim AQ and Menopur. This worked very well and I had an excellent response both times. I was very, very happy with the egg retrieval outcome specifically, which created about 20 each time. At a different clinic (GRS) where I also did a retrieval, I had a different protocol that was much less successful. The unsuccessful protocol was Cetrotide to suppress ovaries with Menopur and Bravelle to stimulate egg production. On this protocol I grew a lead follicle that kept the others from maturing. I only got six eggs from that retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
For my second retrieval I was able to pick which nurse I wanted to work with. I chose Helen because I had previously met her and liked her style. For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse. There are other nursing staff at Emory that are not as helpful as Helen, but I did my best to avoid interacting with them and was mostly successful with this.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. As a whole the nursing staff is not as educated or experienced in fertility medicine as the other clinic (GRS) I utilized. It didn't seem like the nurses had a specialty, per se, in fertility medicine which gave me pause and I ended up second guessing their directions. The Emory doctors, however, are amazing and the primary reason why I chose to receive treatment at the clinic. They seem to be some of the best and brightest minds in the field and also are emotionally invested in outcomes.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Emory bureaucracy and the Reproductive Center nursing staff have weaknesses that create administrative and logistical issues during treatment. You can feel lost in the big Emory system. The nursing staff also don't seem like they are pursuing a specific specialty or have what I would consider significant years of experience in the field. There are a couple of exceptions but for the most part they came across this way to me.

Treated 2015
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and warm in her interactions with us. She thoroughly explained the process and went over our chances with each method.... We were given the option of IUI or going straight to IVF. Since I didn’t want to be too aggressive in treatment just yet, figured IUI would be the best route.... Dr. Kawwass allowed us to be empowered in making our own decision yet while at the same time sharing our potential chances with the methods.
The clinic staff [Emory U Reproductive Ctr] is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and great at educating us on our issues, options and risks. We felt confident that we were getting quality care from an educator that truly wanted to help us opposed to someone that was more interested in profit and hitting the highest numbers.
Be patient. This is a stressful process. But also ask as many questions needed. They have an online portal and you can email the staff and doctors your questions at any time. Very responsive.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and warm in her interactions with us. She thoroughly explained the process and went over our chances with each method. She didn’t talk down to us or made us feel uncomfortable. Nor did she make the practice feel like they were only there to take our money. They left decisions up to us and educated us on our options.
We were given the option of IUI or going straight to IVF. Since I didn’t want to be too aggressive in treatment just yet, figured IUI would be the best route. I do have endometriosis and should have just jumped into IVF. But Dr. Kawwass allowed us to be empowered in making our own decision yet while at the same time sharing our potential chances with the methods. We didn’t feel pressured which helped a lot. After IUI did not work, we went with IVF and treatment was not adjusted too much from what was planned.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lois)
Overall the nursing staff was great. They all were very helpful and answered questions when I had them.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic staff is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard. Or at least it was when I last had treatment here. That can be inconvenient if you need to get an appointment as soon as possible.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Emory University Reproductive Center.
It’s nice that you had a set appointment time. But tough when it’s only during certain hours. The patient has to be flexible.
Very reasonable. I have a friend who went through IVF same time I did and she was at another clinic. I learned she paid a lot more than I did and she was shocked how expensive her clinic was. Also fortunate that my insurance also covered the ultrasounds.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Reasoning was justified due to my age and endometriosis.
Treated 2014 - 2015
She [Dr Jennifer Kawwass] is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
Oh, man! I provided specific examples in my previous narrative.
I don't have anything bad to say. Dr. Kawwass is an excellent, competent, compassionate physician, who ALSO has a sense of humor! I forgot to add that previously.
During our consult to begin IVF, Jennifer said something like, "because this is so emotionally charged"... it was then I began crying, BECAUSE THIS IS. I love that she acknowledged that and kept that in mind as she walked us through the entire process. She is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
I don't remember the KIND of protocol we used with IVF/ICSI. I do remember that I was on the max doses of Follistim and Menopur, twice a day. When I did research online of other women with DOR, I noticed that my protool was very conservative and aggressive. We got 8 eggs, and 4 embryos, one transferred on day 5 resulting in a baby girl born in April 2016. Update From My Clinic: "You were on a maximum dose standard down regulation lupron protocol. (Lupron, FSH 225 twice a day and menopur 75 twice a day). We chose this protocol because of your diminished ovarian reserve - we anticipated that you would need a high dose."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa Parker)
Lutissa was really wonderful, calm, reassuring, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Some difficult things about Emory are getting there, parking, and PAYING FOR PARKING, and hoofing it to the 18th floor. The great thing is, everyone there is super great about you being late for appts, because, Atlanta.
I believe a fresh cycle costs 14, 500k.
Treated 2015
Strengths: Dr. Spencer is a good doctor and her interns/fellow were fantastic! ...Dr. Spencer was wonderful. She made sure to give details on what was going one, why she chose the meds she did, and what she thought our outcome would be...Dr. Spencer always made me feel welcomed. She was polite, courteous, gentle, and always showed compassion...My experience overall with her as a doctor was positive.
Weaknesses: Emory's billing department, front desk management, and nurses lack of communication and not knowing which patient you are and mixing up important, details regarding appointments and medication...The nursing staff was nice...they messed up our appointments multiple times, and gave us wrong information about the medications I was supposed to take and when...Beware of Emory and their lack of communication
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
As stated before, Dr. Spencer always made me feel welcomed. She was polite, courteous, gentle, and always showed compassion. Her staff also were wonderful to deal with. My experience overall with her as a doctor was positive.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Beware of Emory and their lack of communication, lack of billing communication, and nurses not always knowing what medicines you are prescribed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Spencer was wonderful. She made sure to give details on what was going one, why she chose the meds she did, and what she thought our outcome would be. The reason we left her practice was due to other issues dealing with Emory.
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
When seeing Dr. Spencer, I was undergoing IUIs. From what I can recall, I was on Clomid, Clomid's sister drug, but can't remember the other medicines prescribed. I also can't remember much about the protocols. It was a couple of years ago and I have moved past this experience.
The nursing staff was nice. However, they never remembered our names (I can sort of understand this, there are a lot of patients), they messed up our appointments multiple times, and gave us wrong information about the medications I was supposed to take and when. A few times, I had to call Dr. Spencer personally to get correct information. Very frustrating.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths: Dr. Spencer is a good doctor and her interns/fellow were fantastic! Weaknesses: Emory's billing department, front desk management, and nurses lack of communication and not knowing which patient you are and mixing up important, details regarding appointments and medication.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I do not remember the costs.
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Just that when the doctor thinks it right to transfer two, go with it.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I have already stated the problems in the prior boxes.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He made sure to cross the t's dot the i's. ... He ran all the fertility tests AMH, FSH, HSG, etc. He also did genetic testing to see if there were any genetic problems.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They [Emory University Repro Center] try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
How was your experience with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He was very through and made sure to cross the t's dot the i's.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask questions...even the silly ones. He takes his time and it's happy to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols David Austin Schirmer III used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia)
She answered my questions on the portal very quickly. She checked in on me during my miscarriage to make sure I was doing ok.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
Describe David Austin Schirmer III's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I believe he recommends eSET.
David Austin Schirmer III
Atlanta
Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her... My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses...I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer...Helen [nurse] was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things...The clinic is really nice and clean. Labs and US are efficient and fast. The front desk staff are great. Getting appointments are easy. We have had some issues with Emory charging us extra (that was fixed) but then also still waiting for them to refund us for services we didnt do.
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
As stated before, Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask as many questions as you can. They will be answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I never felt like a number. My questions were always answered quickly. Dr Hipp is very caring and passionate. She would even check in on me during her days off (Easter)
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I was initially delayed a couple of weeks because they found a cyst and my period didnt start. My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer. I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
Helen was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
$17,000 to $20,000 including medications
Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Spencer] did a great job of explaining the process and answering our questions, and setting our plan. We did not see her very often though. She did not perform any of the check ups, just some of the procedures, and the initial consultations. ... I know that she adjusted my clomid with each attempt. ... She took the time to talk to us when formulating a plan, but we did not see her often. ...
There are long waits. You have to pay for parking after a short period, you do not see your doctor often. The reception staff [Emory University Reproductive Center] is not always discreet. The ultrasound technicians sometimes spoke before they should have, worrying me unnecessarily. There is free coffee/tea in the waiting room. ... I believe each IUI was around $1,000. ... It would have been nice to see the same nurses consistently, but they did a good job.
She did a great job of explaining the process and answering our questions, and setting our plan. We did not see her very often though. She did not perform any of the check ups, just some of the procedures, and the initial consultations.
Write down your list of questions so you don't forget anything
I don't remember specifics, but I know that she adjusted my clomid with each attempt.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
There are long waits. You have to pay for parking after a short period, you do not see your doctor often. The reception staff is not always discreet. The ultrasound technicians sometimes spoke before they should have, worrying me unnecessarily. There is free coffee/tea in the waiting room.
I believe each IUI was around $1,000.
We did not end up needing IVF, but during the consultation, she explained that she wanted to transfer a single embryo to reduce the risk of multiples.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I was told something worrisome from an ultrasound technician about the quality of my lining/follicles, but when the doctor called that afternoon (as is the procedure), they said there was nothing to worry about.
Treated 2017
[Dr. Heather Hipp is an] Amazing communicator...always went above and beyond to call and commmnicate results and info that may not have been clear...always called to reassure me the process...she was very compassionate and caring thru the entire process...She always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
[The nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center was] Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up...Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better...She [Dr. Heather Hipp] always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
Amazing communicator always went above and beyond to call and commmnicate results and info that may not have been clear always called to reassure me the process she was very compassionate and caring thru the entire process
Be optimistic and and remain stress free
Very welcoming cared about very involved in my care. Very compassionate very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Unlnown)
Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Compassion concern always followed up and very polite caring. Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better. I had a overal experience
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I wish we could of done mutiple to increase my chances of pregnancy to a vapid having to do the process again. Although my doctor was concerned with my health and the pregnancy I wish it was note that could be done with embryo selection or a better choice
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Hipp is always very quick to respond to questions and remembers personal details of life...Dr. Hipp reached out to me each time I had questions. She personally called to check on me after my D&C....We began seeing Dr Hipp after a miscarriage from an IUI. She encouraged us to do an IUI again with metformin, follistim , and ovidrel and switched me to letrozole. I was then placed on progesterone suppositories and baby aspirin after the procedure.
[Emory] Strengths: cheaper than other clinics. Easily reachable Weaknesses: not always organized...Helen was my main nurse but others would sometimes call. Helen was always very encouraging...Medications sent to discount pharmacy so much cheaper than imagined. Injectibles ranged from $85-$270. IUI procedure around $700 Ultrasounds and visits covered by insurance...Dr. Hipp is always very quick to respond to questions and remembers personal details of life
Dr. Hipp reached out to me each time I had questions. She personally called to check on me after my D&C. After losing our baby before my birthday she made sure to be extremely kind and encouraged me to still have a good birthday. After we were in a car accident which I briefly mentioned she reached out to me to check in on us
Never be afraid to email her questions
We began seeing Dr Hipp after a miscarriage from an IUI. She encouraged us to do an IUI again with metformin, follistim , and ovidrel and switched me to letrozole. I was then placed on progesterone suppositories and baby aspirin after the procedure. I am now on progesterone oil injections of 1ml
Treated 2017
She [Dr. Spencer] thoroughly went over my history with me to determine the best course of action. She let me know the chances of doing the IUI successfully were slim due to the fact that I have endometriosis. She let me know that IVF would probably be best to do but due to the cost I decided to try out the IUI ... The instructions I was given was specific to me and not generic. The fact that I have endometriosis was taken into consideration
What I like about Emory is that they were up front with the costs. I was not left in the dark not know what my bill would be. The only issue I had was waiting to get labs done, this took a very looooong time as the waiting area was always jam packed ... Emory clinic's approach is to do eSet ... The nurses were always nice and patient. They would always come back and reitierate what the doctor had gone over and also answer any additional questions
She thoroughly went over my history with me to determine the best course of action. She let me know the chances of doing the IUI successfully were slim due to the fact that I have endometriosis. She let me know that IVF would probably be best to do but due to the cost I decided to try out the IUI
Be patient and ask questions if things are not clear.
I was initially given Clomid but I asked for it to be changed to Femara due reviews of it not working for Endo patients. I believe I was also prescribed Follistism, can't remember what else.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Total cost was about $4000. This was for consultation, full panel bloodwork, IUI
Emory clinic's approach is to do eSet

Treated 2017
Dr. Hipp explained all possibilities thoroughly, and when things didn't go as planned, she took time to call in person to relay news and discuss possible solutions moving forward. Reviewed messages and answered those addressed directly to her, and answered very thoroughly.... Very supportive and understanding, Dr and staff... They let us choose [a single or multiple transfer] while also giving their professional opinion
[Emory is] Small, but state of the art facilities. Very professional, prompt responses to any questions and appointment calls. Clean. Privacy honored. Ideally located in midtown. Always available to answer questions... Nurse was more pen and paper based than electronic. All staff was always friendly, helpful, professional, and seemed to know what they were doing
Be honest and relay all your concerns from the beginning
Very supportive and understanding, Dr and staff
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen Battiste)
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
They let us choose while also giving their professional opinion
Treated 2017
Dr. Kawwass is good communicator and has warm bedside manners. She did explain the issue at hand and specified the risk associated with the process. Getting an appointment with the doctor is tough as she is quite busy....Clomid 24 Hr prior to process Injection in the stomach IUI... Clinic is quite neat and well maintained but is located in a sky scraper, the elevator of which is very annoying. The place is more expensive than other places so unless one is covered by Insurance one should look for other places
Clinic is quite neat and well maintained but is located in a sky scraper, the elevator of which is very annoying. The place is more expensive than other places so unless one is covered by Insurance one should look for other places... 840 for IUI... Dr. Kawwass is good communicator and has warm bedside manners. She did explain the issue at hand and specified the risk associated with the process. Getting an appointment with the doctor is tough as she is quite busy.
Ask Dr. Kawwass to perform the procedure herself rather than giving it to some nurse
Her words were encouraging and she tried to calm me as well as explain the issue at hand.
Clomid 24 Hr prior to process Injection in the stomach IUI
840 for IUI
Treated 2015
Dr. Bowling did her absolute best to help me and help me understand everything i had going on i would definitely go back to see her. She checked on me after my IUI the three times i had it with her was unsuccessful and she was able to tell me my next steps but I wasn't financially ready to take those steps and she understood and told me she will be there when I needef to come back
Expensive, busy but attentive and great doctors. Flexible schedule open sometimes on Saturday. Sometimes they [Emory University Repro Ctr] were over booked and ot was long wait times. The area was always busy traffic and I really like Dr bowling so I drove far to see her.... Dr. Bowling did her absolute best to help me and help me understand everything i had going on i would definitely go back to see her.
Be prepared financially if possible
Very professional and caring
In a rush
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Expensive, busy but attentive and great doctors. Flexible schedule open sometimes on Saturday. Sometimes they were over booked and ot was long wait times. The area was always busy traffic and I really like Dr bowling so I drove far to see her.
Meaghan Bowling
Treated 2015
Dr. Kawwass was wodnderful, she explained everything to my husband and I. She took the time to ask how we were and to discuss everything I wanted to know. We could call or message her with all questions...I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process...Don’t feel embarrassed to ask, she’s there to help you.
I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process [at Emory University Reproductive Center]...The nursing staff made me feel so comfortable and helped me in anyway they could...The clinic was very easy to work with as well as to access the needed information. The front office staff was friendly and helpful and made me feel comfortable every time I came in. They helped me get through such a hard time. I have already referred several friends to the clinic.
Don’t feel embarrassed to ask, she’s there to help you.
Atlanta
Test that would have ascertained if I had PCOS was not run. I also was hospitalized due to hyper stimulation in fertility process but was watched carefully.
Sarah Berga
Atlanta
As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. ... Take her bluntness with a grain of salt because she is only giving realistic expectations instead of painting an unobtainable picture for you. She tells you what you need to hear, not what you necessarily want to hear. ...
It’s [Emory University Repro Center] very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply. ... They [nurses] were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
I had a very positive experience with Dr. Spencer. As a current student I came prepared with millions of questions spanning from the whole process, what my journey would be like, and how important finances are. She answered all questions to the best of her ability and made sure I understood her. She took all of my client specific concerns and addressed them realistically. I left fully understanding what my next steps needed to be.
As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. She took all person specific details of my life and gave me realistic answers. I appreciated the client-centered approach she took to make me feel like a human.
AMH testing and maintaining a close watch over me.
They were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It’s very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply.
Without insurance, freezing eggs is $10,000. Freezing embryos is $20,000.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system.... Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times.... I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
Everything [Emory U] was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny....We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel.
Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel. Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times. Yes, that is right she would call as well to check on me. The only issue that is experiencing is that now that we are pregnant and had to graduate someone else it is difficult to find another doctor and staff to live up to ERC’s standards. 😊 This place really set the bar high. On the day of graduation, I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
If you haven't tried ERC you must give them a try.
IVF Injections/Patches SUCCESS on the first try Four months pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Michelle)
Nurse Michelle was incredibly charismatic. She was such a joy to be around. When I was worried, she helped to put my mind at ease. She loves leopard too.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny. They didn't behave like cash cows and was after people's money. It was evident that they wanted success for others and their families. They understood due to the high stakes and the emotions that come along with trying to conceive. They never got upset when I had so many questions. Boy did I have questions, and they were right there.
Roughly $40,000.
Atlanta
So far I have only had one appointment with Dr Schirmer and he was very thorough. He explained each test and procedure he would like done and explains WHY and WHAT it would tell us. He also described a possible plan of action based on various possible results. He did say he ultimately felt like a more aggressive approach would be recommended in my case but at the end of the day we could do whatever I am comfortable with. I believe many others may consider him to be a fast talker however...
The clinic [Emory] was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached...Meeting with Tadzia after our consult gave us a chance to further discuss the testing that was needed and ask any other questions we may have had. She was very thorough and kind.
If you already have documents bring everything you have. Bring up anything that has happened in the past even if you believe it to not be related. Bring something to take notes.
Dr Schirmer spent a great deal of time going over my records and history with me. He even stopped and asked questions or stopped to explain his thoughts about the information being given. He answered questions my husband had without hesitation.
We are not yet at that phase. However he did recommend we do IVF based on a serious infection I previously had an the damage it did to one tube. He believes that with endo and that infection the chances that my remaining tube is functional is slim.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I am currently self pay and a consult is around $450.
David Austin Schirmer III
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Kawwass does not cut corners when working towards a successful pregnancy. She will always have your best interest at heart even if you may not feel that way during that long and stressful journey! Before her name goes on it she will make sure it's in the best interest of you and the baby...I felt like a human when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. I can appreciate anyone that will give it to me straight! I didn't feel rushed when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. She was very patient when speaking with me.
I absolutely love Michelle [nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center] I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass...The facility is clean. The staff is friendly. They're really good about responding to email. Build a good relationship with the nurses that way you're just as comfortable speaking with them like you are the doctors.
I am beyond thankful for Dr. Kawwass! She never made any promises which was so important to me. Dr. Kawwass made sure I knew about the possibility of a procedure not being successful. However, she would always have a game plan for me to follow. She would call to check up on me to see if I had any questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Lawrence)
Omg!!!!!! I absolutely love Michelle Lawrence! I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass.
Treated 2017
Dr. Hipp is amazing from the first appointment to the last. She was very thorough on what to expect as well as a treatment plan and always willing to answer questions. We some hiccups in treatment, insurance reasons, and she adjusted our treatment so that we would achieve the ultimate goal.... Due to insurance they required 6 failed IUI’s before they would cover any IVF treatment, even though the odds of them working was very low. After the 6 failed IUI’s I completed 1 round of IVF and transferred 1 frozen embryo.
This isn’t specific to Dr. Hipp, but more to Emory that it is a teaching hospital for some things you may see Doctors completing residency or they may shadow Dr. Hipp. This was never an issue for me as I knew they were treating me based on actual research.... Due to insurance they required 6 failed IUI’s before they would cover any IVF treatment, even though the odds of them working was very low. After the 6 failed IUI’s I completed 1 round of IVF and transferred 1 frozen embryo.
I previously went to a fertility clinic and met with a physician that never answered questions then pushed me off to another room with a folder that included pricing hidden in the back without any plan. I left that facility with more questions then when I arrived. I then found Dr. Hipp at Emory and the first time going to the office everyone was so inviting and kind as was Dr. Hipp. She answered all of mine and my husbands questions and was very detailed of what to expect and provided a treatment plan. Her and the staff were always accessible if we had questions. Everyone was respectful and caring at Emory and I am great full for them.
Heather Hipp

she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery...She explains everything to you in a soft manner, I really like how she cares about her patients and she is very informative .
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were very helpful when I had my consultation... the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion...they are very caring...she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
She is very nice , very caring and she explains everything to me and I understand. I really like her . When I have a question, she is always available for me and I really like her bed side manner , I have had 2 surgeries with her so far and everything has went well.
I would let them know that she will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything.
They were very helpful when I had my consultation.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths I would say that they are very caring. Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Well it was one time where the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion.
Atlanta
She [Dr. Heather Hipp] is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through.... We have only been seeing her for a couple of months, but our first visit with her we already knew that she was going to be the dr we choose. She truly shows how much she cares, and puts everything into the end goal, which is to get a successful pregnancy.
Overall, clinic [Emory University] is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.... She [Dr. Heather Hipp] is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through
She is such a kind-hearted person. No matter what time of day, if I have any questions, I send her an email and she is super quick to respond. She shows how genuinely she cares about you and the rough process you are going through.
She is very sweet, and if I can't get a hold of the dr, she is quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Overall, clinic is great. However, I did have an issue regarding the financial coordinator. I was trying to contact her to ask how much my appt would be out of pocket and she didn't reach out to me until after my appointment.
Still undergoing that process...
We advised us that it would be best to only transfer one at a time. This would benefit from health risks as well as multiples.
Atlanta
combination of empathy and competence makes her [Dr. Kawwass] uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring...Come prepared with any and all questions--she will take the time to answer all of them and make sure you have the information you need...was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS...Strengths: The doctors and their team approach to treatment. The nurses, including the night/weekend nurse Michelle (she was always open to answering questions and providing adequate context and explanation). Weaknesses: The billing and financial side of the house. While very friendly, communication could have been better. It is strangely difficult to pay them because you have to hunt down this one person (Tereon, who is never at her desk) to take your information instead of paying online or having a centralized number where multiple people could take your CC info. I recommend double-checking your insurance claims for accuracy.
Dr. Kawwass is hands-down one of the best, if not THE best, doctors we have ever had in any specialty. Her combination of empathy and competence makes her uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring.
Dr. Kawwass always knew us and our history before meeting with us. She demonstrated genuine compassion and concern for our previous pregnancy-related complications, and she inspired confidence in her treatment plan and our ultimate success.
Dr. Kawwass was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
My primary nurse changed mid-treatment because my original nurse (Lutissa) left the clinic. My care was not interrupted, and Mary and Nancy picked up where Lutissa left off. Nancy is little more no-nonsense and is reluctant to classify any symptoms or experiences as "normal". I appreciated her willingness to distinguish when patients should or should not be concerned. Mary is very kind, compassionate, encouraging, and competent. Her answers to questions were always reassuring and optimistic (when appropriate). Even when sharing mixed news (e.g. a great, thick lining but a low serum E2), she was reassuring.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass clearly conveyed that a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS. We felt confident in this decision.