7.3
7.3

550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-778-3401

[Emory is] Very welcoming, friendly staff. Nice facility. It takes a 10-15 minutes to find a parking spot and travel from the parking deck to the clinic. Parking is $5. You get some parking vouchers during your IVF cycle when you're going quite often. The Emory Patient Portal makes it very easy to ask non-emergent questions of your Dr. and nurses at any time. They will reply to messages or call you after hours and on the weekends.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Very knowledgeable and passionate. I felt very comfortable and confident working with her. She communicated well and did a great job explaining the details of the procedures and processes that we underwent.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask any and all questions that you have. She'll answer them and put you at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
The IVF orientation process at the Emory Reproductive Center is very thorough. Dr. Kawwass did a great job explaining everything in a way that we could understand. She took the time to answer any questions we had and made sure we were comfortable with the entire IVF process.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Kawwass prescribed a high dose protocol for egg stimulation including Menopur and Gonal F. Since we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, she recommended that we do ICSI. My progesterone started to increase earlier than anticipated, so our retrieval was scheduled a few days earlier than anticipated. 10 eggs were retrieved, 5 were mature and only 2 fertilized. Due to only having 2 embryos, Dr. Kawwass recommended a day 2 transfer of both embryos. The Embryologist discussed the options of transferring 1 vs. 2 embryos the morning of the transfer. We decided to only transfer one and allow the other to mature to day 5 (which it did!) before freezing. After the transfer I used Estradiol patches and Progesterone shots. This IVF round was successful and I now have a 4 week old healthy baby boy!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everyone was very compassionate, kind, and competent.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I am fortunate to have some insurance coverage for infertility and IVF services. We used the maximum amount of that benefit (I think it was $10,000). After insurance I believe we payed Emory about $13,000 plus $7,000 for medication.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass recommended we transfer both embryos since we only had 2 to increase our chances. The Embryologist discussed our options with us the morning of the transfer. My husband and I decided to only transfer one embryo and we are confident that was the correct decision for us.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Kawwass is amazing. It is clear she really loves what she does. She never rushed us and was sure to answer every question we had. She (and all the fellows) explain EVERYTHING so clearly. At all times you know exactly what they are doing, how and why they are doing it. It makes all of those invasive procedures feel better because you understand what is going on. Also, I love how knowledgeable Dr. Kawwass is in current fertility studies. The best way I can describe the kind of doctor she is, is by telling you about our failed transfer. This was our 2nd failed attempt, but first with her. The nurse from Emory called to give me the news as soon as the results came in, and told me Dr. Kawwass would call the next week (it was Friday). However, I got a call from Dr. Kawwass just to express her condolences and "send me a hug". This meant so much to me, I could tell she was truly upset by the result as well. She is so smart and compassionate if anyone is going to get me to the best end result, I believe it will be her.
[Emory Fertility's] Strengths - Doctors, Fellows, and scheduling (they are open year round, which means weekend appointments, and IVF all year). Weaknesses - They don't hold your hand as much through the medication process. Again I stress, in my opinion the strengths outweigh the weaknesses by a mile...The nurses are all very nice and compassionate. I never saw many nurses, but talk to them a lot. I was not assigned a particular nurse to I have talked to many of them. As I mentioned earlier sometimes I have to help them with where all my prescriptions go, and if I need refills.
The doctors, and fellows are fabulous; however, you have to be on top of ordering you medicine on time. This may be more of an issue for me as I am an out of state patient and have to do outside monitoring. At my previous clinic my nurses were on top of the medication, showed you how to take it, and knew exactly where to order it. At Emory, I have to tell the nurses when I need the prescription increased and where to put the orders. With all that being said, I believe it is worth it to have the knowledge of the Emory doctors. One thing I love is all the doctors have a meeting to discuss your case, so you have the opinions of multiple doctors, not just one.
Emory is the second clinic we have gone to, but we visited 4 clinics total. From the first minute we met Dr. Kawwass she felt like a friend, not just a doctor. It was very clear she wanted us to have a baby, not just gain a new patient. Also, the waiting room is never full (like most private clinics), and I have never waited more than 10 minutes from my appointment time (usually they pull me back early).
For my IVF I was on the highest does of Gonal F (450 IU) and Menopur (150 IU). I ended up stimulating for 12 days, and we used Ganirelix for 5. This produced 12 follicles (almost twice the amount of my first IVF) and we got 9 eggs. Out of the 9 eggs, we got 7 embryos. After the retrieval, I began 2 estrogen patches (changed every other day) and 1mL Progesterone shot. We ended up transferring 2 fresh embryos on day 3, and freezing 4 embryos (one embryo did not make it to day 3). We decided to do this since there is so much attrition between day 3 and 5, and we really wanted some to freeze. We are now preparing for a Frozen transfer. All my meds have been increased. I will be building up to 4 estrogen patches before the transfer. We will also do 3 days of Ganirelix. After the transfer, we will continue the estrogen patches, 2mL Progesterone shot, and 3 progesterone tablets. Hopefully we will get a good result this time. This will be our first frozen transfer.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I have good insurance, so my monitoring and medicine was covered. We purchased a plan through Emory that included IVF and 1 FET. This was approximately $14k. We also did ICSI ($1.5k) and Assisted Embryo Hatching ($1.5). My meds were just a $300 co-pay.
Dr. Kawwass, like most doctors, opts for a single embryo transfer. The only reason we did two was my previous two embryo transfer failed, and the fact we did a day 3 versus day 5 transfer. We will be unfreezing 2 embryos for the frozen transfer in case one does not make it.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.
My insurance is funny so I have to order medicine from two separate pharmacies depending on the meds. Sometimes the nurses send the prescription to the wrong one, and I have to call them to resend to the right pharmacy. Also if you have to get approval from your insurance before the meds are ordered make sure the nurses know! Or else you may not get it in time.
2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
[with Dr. Spencer] I took clomid 50 mg, Ovidrel 250 mcg/0.5ml, Gonal-F and Prometrium 200mg. If I can remember correctly, I took clomid starting on day 3 for 5 days. I had to give myself the Ovidrel shot (I don't remember on what day). I had to go in on day 12 to get an ultrasound and they called me to tell me when to do the trigger shot (Gonal-F). Then after that, I had to come in for insemination. Then starting 2 days afterwards, I had to insert the Prometrium pills 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Take a pregnancy test on the 15 day.
The clinic's [Emory] strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Spencer was a great choice for a doctor. I loved her bedside manner and how she explained everything thoroughly. She is a really good doctor and really cares for her patients! She would run all the proper test on me. Nurses would call me the very next day to give me the results.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Along with Dr. Spencer, you will meet with students, but all of the students I met with were just as nice and explained everything thoroughly. If there was something that they could not answer, they would go and get her and she would speak with me directly if necessary.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I was definitely treated like a human. Everyone has excellent bedside manner. Dr. Spencer was WONDERFUL!!! She even spoke with my husband about his health (smoking) and how important it is for the fertility process as well as his overall health. She was very informative and took great care of me!
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
The nursing staff was very supportive and helpful. They would always give encouraging words and tell me they are praying for me. They give the best hugs! They were very informative and if they didn't know they would definitely find out the info I needed.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic's strengths are an excellent medical staff, the technology they offered to run test or ultrasounds, and they are always available to speak with me to answer questions. The clinic's weaknesses is that a person may not like dealing with the residents, which may be someone different each time. I was fine with it, but some people may be very emotional and need the steady relationship with the main doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
My health insurance covered 50% of IUI so they allowed me to pay later. The finance department was great to deal with and didn't treat me like a number either. So one IUI was $300 and the prescriptions were $80 each time. I had Humana.
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
2012 - 2017, Successful
I also appreciated that she [Dr. Jessica Spencer] was constantly bringing in new research that might impact my particular situation. Not once did I feel like I was "a number" or that I was just being given generic advice/protocols...She is up to date on the latest research - explaining every study and how much stock I should take in it given the population in the study, the size of the study, etc. -I NEVER felt rushed...-She is "real." She didn't take on a medical/defensive persona. When things didn't work out she would say she was sorry and hug me and we'd walk through the protocol and what she might have done differently and could do differently if I wanted to try again. She is crazy empathetic... I had multiple 2.5 hour meetings with her and not once did she say, "I need to get to another patient."
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing...At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly)...The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls.
There are so many positives about Dr. Spencer -- let me list them: -She is up to date on the latest research - explaining every study and how much stock I should take in it given the population in the study, the size of the study, etc. -I NEVER felt rushed. I had multiple 2.5 hour meetings with her and not once did she say, "I need to get to another patient." -She would explain all the options - and they were often complicated with many unknowns given the research is so inconclusive. If I really couldn't decide what to do, she'd say "if you were my sister, I'd say x." She was taking into account the medical, financial and emotional aspects of my decision. -If I wanted to talk with her, the nurses/staff would get the message to her and she'd call me. She was always available when I needed her. -She is "real." She didn't take on a medical/defensive persona. When things didn't work out she would say she was sorry and hug me and we'd walk through the protocol and what she might have done differently and could do differently if I wanted to try again. She is crazy empathetic. I have no idea how she is so empathetic given all the patients and how often the news is negative -- she is a very strong person! -The only negative and it's not even a negative, is that she couldn't do all my procedures. But over 5 years and more than 20 procedures that cannot be timed to a certain day, there's no way a doctor could do that.
If you've had an experience at another clinic, share that. And explain all your concerns, hopes and fears. She's really good at addressing all of that and isn't afraid to go into the details on anything.
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Spencer. She always knew my complete medical history -- even from before I came to Emory. She was willing to have long conversations (1-2 hours!) to help me figure out what my next steps should be during cycles as well as after failed cycles. She seemed to truly understand the stress involved in IVF and would help me weigh emotional, practical and financial factors in making decisions. Whenever I had a failed cycle she would call and tell me how sorry she was -- and she seemed to be almost as upset as I was, which made me feel like she really cared. I also appreciated that she was constantly bringing in new research that might impact my particular situation. Not once did I feel like I was "a number" or that I was just being given generic advice/protocols.
For all of my cycles with Dr. Spencer I used an antagonist protocol. With a prior clinic they had me on a micro-dose flare that was timed with birth control. Dr. Spencer was worried the birth control was making it to hard for my ovaries to recover from the suppression of birth control and so we used natural timing for every retrieval. I also used Ganarelix before the my cycle started to help prevent a leading follicle. I was on the highest dose of Bravelle (later Gonl-F) and Menopur for all retrievals. A few times we added in human growth hormone but on the last (and successful) cycle we dropped it b/c we didn't think it was doing enough to outweigh the high costs. I was also taking DHEA and CoQ10 for my last 4 cycles. (Dr. Spencer shared that there is no evidence that CoQ10 has a positive impact on human eggs but that it wouldn't hurt anything so if I wanted to take it I should go ahead). On many cycles we weighed the pros and cons of PGD. We did it for 2 cycles mainly as a way to reduce the chances of miscarriage given I had had many. The last, successful cycle we decided to change up everything - still an antagonist protocol, but we didn't do PGD (we started getting concerns that the biopsy, freeze and thaw could do damage to the embryo and so agreed to risk the miscarriage), and we did a clomid-antagonist cycle. So I did clomid for the first 7 (?) days of the cycle and then started with the injections. We did a Day 3 transfer (I had a couple of experiences where embryos did not survive until Day 5). On this last one the embryologist came out to see us right after the retrieval and asked to NOT do ICSI as we had done 7 times before. I had some eggs not quite mature and she wanted to give them the extra 24 hours to mature by just letting the sperm find the eggs in the petri dish, rather than do ICSI and "arrest" development and potentially lost an egg because it wasn't mature.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
The nurses at Emory are amazing! They are crazy knowledgeable about every protocol and drug and why the doctors are doing what they're doing. At a prior clinic every time I had a question about a drug or the protocol the nurse would have to go ask the doctor and then just repeat what the doctor said without really explaining. At Emory you are assigned a primary nurse but given the need for care and support to be available 365 days, you're bound to talk with multiple nurses if you do more than 1 cycle. While I had a primary nurse, all the nurses were familiar with my specific protocol and me personally (they knew I was emotional and anxious to do everything perfectly). I should've been an expert on this given I was at it for so long, but still called them constantly with questions and concerns. The nurses always happily walked me through things and reassured me if I was nervous about being off on timing of a shot. Michelle, in particular, is incredible. She works way longer than she is supposed to because she wants to make sure every question gets answered and you feel secure -- so phone calls with her can be long! It just makes you feel all the more like a unique human rather than just #10 on her list of calls. On my last positive pregnancy test a bunch of the nurses and staff gathered in the room to all call me and tell me the news. I couldn't stop crying. They really make you feel cared for.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The only true weakness I can think of is financial/billing. I did not feel like the people who handle the financial end of things were equipped to explain my bills to me or deal with insurance issues. Luckily Emory Hospital's billing department handles all of it in the end, but I wish the Clinic itself had a stronger financial team. On top of that, it's not a lavish place! It's a teaching hospital and so it's bare bones (none of the spa like atmosphere at the private clinics) -- but I'll take that with high quality services over all the bells and whistles of a so-so clinic.
I had great insurance that covered almost all of my meds and 80% of procedures once I met deductible. I probably spent around $2k per cycle when you average everything out.
Given my low ovarian reserve and age (I was getting 4-6 eggs...and we presumed most were abnormal), I was thankful that Dr. Spencer was willing to transfer multiple embryos. Usually I transferred 2-3 embryos b/c that was all that I had but the last two times I transferred 4. She would walk through the risks with me and it was my decision in the end.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass is a wonderful physician. She took the time to explain our treatment plan and options available to us. She personally called me multiple times to discuss our treatment plans. She understands the emotional toll IVF takes on a couple and I could tell that she genuinely cared about our feelings during the IVF process. It is rare to find a physician that is so incredibly smart/up to date and who also has a wonderful bedside manner...
It is clean [at Emory], the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
I cannot say enough about how much my husband and I have enjoyed working with Dr. Kawwass. She always took the time to explain to us our treatment options and probability of success. We were always seen on time for our appointments, which is important if you have a busy work schedule. She is readily reachable via the patient portal, a phone call to the clinic, and through her nurse.
Trust her! She is up to date on the IVF literature and incredibly smart. She will not suggest something unless she thinks there is a reason to do so.
We had a hard time getting the lining of my uterus thick enough for transfer. We tried different estrogen combinations to thicken up my lining. I liked that the clinic adjusted my medications when I was not having success with the original protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa )
Lutissa is amazing! She is so responsive on the patient portal. I knew that if I wrote her she would get back to me within 24 hours (most of the time I had a response in a couple of hours). She gives very clear instructions and is incredibly knowledgable about treatment protocols. I knew that I was in good hands with her and she had excellent communication skills.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It is clean, the staff is incredibly friendly, the techs are wonderful, and the waiting room has great magazines and a TV. It is an academic hospital so expect to see residents and fellows around. All of the residents and fellows are wonderful. It is nice to receive care in an academic setting because you know that they will be providing the most up to date care. It is annoying to have to go all the way up to the 18th floor for a 10 minute monitoring appointment and you have to pay for parking which can get expensive.
Approximately 27K for a fresh donor egg cycle plus 1 FET cycle. 27K included the contact I purchased through ARC and the donor's medication
Atlanta

Dr. Bowling added a personal touch to her treatment. I felt like she really cared about our success and was patient and caring when we met and I would share concerns and become emotional from past experiences. She also performed a hysteroscopy and walked me to the operating room. She met with my husband and provided a full explanation of her findings as well. She went above and beyond my expectations for providing a personal, yet very professional, consultation and service throughout the process...
The [Emory] clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation...
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Schedule an appointment to meet with her before beginning the process. She is kind and willing to discuss the entire process and answer any questions you may have. I'd also find out what her on-call schedule is so you can make sure she's available when scheduling the retrieval/transfer. The dates and timing are very dependent on the timing of the cycle but it's good to know ahead of time. If she's not scheduled to provide transfers/retrievals the day you're scheduled one of her colleagues will be there and they're all really great as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
She made time to meet and speak with me before beginning a new cycle. She'd stop and say hello and ask how things were going when I was in the office and she would pass by. Dr. Bowling called me directly, not a nurse, to let me know about my positive pregnancy test.
I always knew I'd hear from a nurse later in the day. If I had any questions I could call the office and a nurse would return my call by the end of the day. I could also message them online via Emory Portal and my emails were always responded to by the end of day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation. Because of that I was never billed during the process and received a call from Emory's billing department demanding payment. I had inquired to the nurses and the financial consultant for the office during my visits and they assured me someone would contact to schedule payment or financing options. That never happened so I ended up having to take care of everything in a rushed manner to avoid getting sent to a collection agency. This aspect would be the weakest area for the office. I don't believe the business manager runs a very tight ship in that regard. Had I known, I would have called the financing company on my own and made arrangements during my cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I financed a fresh cycle with frozen and ICSI for around $11,000. My insurance covers labs so I didn't need to include those in my loan.
Meaghan Bowling
2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me. She wants you to succeed and is open to trying new approaches as treatments progress...
[At Emory] For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse...
Jennifer Kawwass, and other Emory Reproductive Center doctors, seem conservative with their protocol for deciding how many embryos to transfer. I don't know this from personal experience, but have heard from friends of similar age and medical issues that there was more risk for multiples taken on during their treatments. I was only allowed to transfer two day 5 embryos after my second retrieval and two failed transfers. I have multiple friends who did two day 5 embryos (some even PGS screened) on their first retrieval and transfer.
After being diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I had four IUI's and two IVF egg retrievals with three embryo transfers performed at Emory Reproductive Center over the course of the last 1.5 years. None of the procedures resulted in a pregnancy. My primary doctor was Jennifer Kawwass. I chose to receive care from Emory because of their overall level of education and expertise compared to other clinics in the Atlanta area. Not only do you receive attention from some of the most highly qualified specialists in the country, but you also work with doctors doing fellowships who are young, bright, eager and up-to-date on the latest research. Between IUI's and IVF I went to GRS to receive IVF treatment (which didn't lead to pregnancy either) because I wanted to try somewhere new and different. But, I ended up going back to Emory because I felt that the doctors were smarter and more invested in my success. When treatments failed, I felt like they were experiencing the failure with me. The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. But, for me, I decided I was ok dealing with them because at the end of the day what mattered most was the decisions my doctors made and the quality of the procedures I received from medical staff. Dr. Kawwass was amazingly supportive and gave me her direct email address and phone number to use if I ever needed it. I did on occasion and she was always available to make the process easier on me.
I did two retrievals with the same approach. Both utilized Lupron to suppress my ovaries and I stimulated egg production with Follistim AQ and Menopur. This worked very well and I had an excellent response both times. I was very, very happy with the egg retrieval outcome specifically, which created about 20 each time. At a different clinic (GRS) where I also did a retrieval, I had a different protocol that was much less successful. The unsuccessful protocol was Cetrotide to suppress ovaries with Menopur and Bravelle to stimulate egg production. On this protocol I grew a lead follicle that kept the others from maturing. I only got six eggs from that retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
For my second retrieval I was able to pick which nurse I wanted to work with. I chose Helen because I had previously met her and liked her style. For most of the communications during the retrieval and transfer processes, Helen was the person I spoke with or emailed with. She is attentive, response and accomplishes all the fundamental responsibilities of the primary nurse. There are other nursing staff at Emory that are not as helpful as Helen, but I did my best to avoid interacting with them and was mostly successful with this.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Emory system is big and bureaucratic, creating administrative and logistical hassles that you might not receive at other private clinics. As a whole the nursing staff is not as educated or experienced in fertility medicine as the other clinic (GRS) I utilized. It didn't seem like the nurses had a specialty, per se, in fertility medicine which gave me pause and I ended up second guessing their directions. The Emory doctors, however, are amazing and the primary reason why I chose to receive treatment at the clinic. They seem to be some of the best and brightest minds in the field and also are emotionally invested in outcomes.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
The Emory bureaucracy and the Reproductive Center nursing staff have weaknesses that create administrative and logistical issues during treatment. You can feel lost in the big Emory system. The nursing staff also don't seem like they are pursuing a specific specialty or have what I would consider significant years of experience in the field. There are a couple of exceptions but for the most part they came across this way to me.

2015, Successful
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and warm in her interactions with us. She thoroughly explained the process and went over our chances with each method.... We were given the option of IUI or going straight to IVF. Since I didn’t want to be too aggressive in treatment just yet, figured IUI would be the best route.... Dr. Kawwass allowed us to be empowered in making our own decision yet while at the same time sharing our potential chances with the methods.
The clinic staff [Emory U Reproductive Ctr] is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and great at educating us on our issues, options and risks. We felt confident that we were getting quality care from an educator that truly wanted to help us opposed to someone that was more interested in profit and hitting the highest numbers.
Be patient. This is a stressful process. But also ask as many questions needed. They have an online portal and you can email the staff and doctors your questions at any time. Very responsive.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and warm in her interactions with us. She thoroughly explained the process and went over our chances with each method. She didn’t talk down to us or made us feel uncomfortable. Nor did she make the practice feel like they were only there to take our money. They left decisions up to us and educated us on our options.
We were given the option of IUI or going straight to IVF. Since I didn’t want to be too aggressive in treatment just yet, figured IUI would be the best route. I do have endometriosis and should have just jumped into IVF. But Dr. Kawwass allowed us to be empowered in making our own decision yet while at the same time sharing our potential chances with the methods. We didn’t feel pressured which helped a lot. After IUI did not work, we went with IVF and treatment was not adjusted too much from what was planned.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lois)
Overall the nursing staff was great. They all were very helpful and answered questions when I had them.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic staff is great! They all were very friendly and accommodating. Had no issues with billing. And when we were financially responsible for certain parts of our treatment, they did share with us early on that we would owe out of pocket. So I appreciated the transparency and letting me know when items were covered or not. Scheduling can be a bit of a challenge because it is through their central switchboard. Or at least it was when I last had treatment here. That can be inconvenient if you need to get an appointment as soon as possible.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Emory University Reproductive Center.
It’s nice that you had a set appointment time. But tough when it’s only during certain hours. The patient has to be flexible.
Very reasonable. I have a friend who went through IVF same time I did and she was at another clinic. I learned she paid a lot more than I did and she was shocked how expensive her clinic was. Also fortunate that my insurance also covered the ultrasounds.
Reasoning was justified due to my age and endometriosis.

2014 - 2015, Successful
She [Dr Jennifer Kawwass] is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
Oh, man! I provided specific examples in my previous narrative.
I don't have anything bad to say. Dr. Kawwass is an excellent, competent, compassionate physician, who ALSO has a sense of humor! I forgot to add that previously.
During our consult to begin IVF, Jennifer said something like, "because this is so emotionally charged"... it was then I began crying, BECAUSE THIS IS. I love that she acknowledged that and kept that in mind as she walked us through the entire process. She is such a real, authentic person who genuinely loves what she does and wants to see every patient succeed and become pregnant. Also, she is very knowledgeable and competent. I crave physicians who are up to date on literature, protocol, recommendations. This is also something that attracted me to Emory in the first place. Jennifer, and all the doctors at Emory RE, genuinely care about their patients.
I don't remember the KIND of protocol we used with IVF/ICSI. I do remember that I was on the max doses of Follistim and Menopur, twice a day. When I did research online of other women with DOR, I noticed that my protool was very conservative and aggressive. We got 8 eggs, and 4 embryos, one transferred on day 5 resulting in a baby girl born in April 2016. Update From My Clinic: "You were on a maximum dose standard down regulation lupron protocol. (Lupron, FSH 225 twice a day and menopur 75 twice a day). We chose this protocol because of your diminished ovarian reserve - we anticipated that you would need a high dose."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lutissa Parker)
Lutissa was really wonderful, calm, reassuring, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Some difficult things about Emory are getting there, parking, and PAYING FOR PARKING, and hoofing it to the 18th floor. The great thing is, everyone there is super great about you being late for appts, because, Atlanta.
I believe a fresh cycle costs 14, 500k.
2015, Unsuccessful
Strengths: Dr. Spencer is a good doctor and her interns/fellow were fantastic! ...Dr. Spencer was wonderful. She made sure to give details on what was going one, why she chose the meds she did, and what she thought our outcome would be...Dr. Spencer always made me feel welcomed. She was polite, courteous, gentle, and always showed compassion...My experience overall with her as a doctor was positive.
Weaknesses: Emory's billing department, front desk management, and nurses lack of communication and not knowing which patient you are and mixing up important, details regarding appointments and medication...The nursing staff was nice...they messed up our appointments multiple times, and gave us wrong information about the medications I was supposed to take and when...Beware of Emory and their lack of communication
As stated before, Dr. Spencer always made me feel welcomed. She was polite, courteous, gentle, and always showed compassion. Her staff also were wonderful to deal with. My experience overall with her as a doctor was positive.
Beware of Emory and their lack of communication, lack of billing communication, and nurses not always knowing what medicines you are prescribed.
Dr. Spencer was wonderful. She made sure to give details on what was going one, why she chose the meds she did, and what she thought our outcome would be. The reason we left her practice was due to other issues dealing with Emory.
When seeing Dr. Spencer, I was undergoing IUIs. From what I can recall, I was on Clomid, Clomid's sister drug, but can't remember the other medicines prescribed. I also can't remember much about the protocols. It was a couple of years ago and I have moved past this experience.
The nursing staff was nice. However, they never remembered our names (I can sort of understand this, there are a lot of patients), they messed up our appointments multiple times, and gave us wrong information about the medications I was supposed to take and when. A few times, I had to call Dr. Spencer personally to get correct information. Very frustrating.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths: Dr. Spencer is a good doctor and her interns/fellow were fantastic! Weaknesses: Emory's billing department, front desk management, and nurses lack of communication and not knowing which patient you are and mixing up important, details regarding appointments and medication.
I do not remember the costs.
Just that when the doctor thinks it right to transfer two, go with it.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I have already stated the problems in the prior boxes.
Atlanta

Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He made sure to cross the t's dot the i's. ... He ran all the fertility tests AMH, FSH, HSG, etc. He also did genetic testing to see if there were any genetic problems.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They [Emory University Repro Center] try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
How was your experience with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He was very through and made sure to cross the t's dot the i's.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask questions...even the silly ones. He takes his time and it's happy to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols David Austin Schirmer III used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia)
She answered my questions on the portal very quickly. She checked in on me during my miscarriage to make sure I was doing ok.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
Describe David Austin Schirmer III's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I believe he recommends eSET.
David Austin Schirmer III
Atlanta

He [Dr. Toner] was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance...He recommended not doing pgs since I only had 1 embryo. Cost was important to me and I'd rather give it a try than send off for testing. He was willing to transfer note than 1 if I had more...Do your research and come prepared with questions. He will take the time to answer them but you need to narrow down what you want to discuss.
I found it [Emory University Reproductive Center] to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
How was your experience with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
He was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance. I feel very comfortable in his care. It is clear he knows what he is doing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had good discussions on my care. He listened and discussed research and the reasons why he was selecting aspects of my care.
Describe the protocols Jim Toner used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I used follistim 300 and menopur 150 daily for 11 days. Triggered with pregnyl 10,000 hcg.
Michelle was amazing! She was great at communicating and I felt like she was in my corner! This was my first experience with ivf and she made it very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I found it to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I think a cycle was around $15k.
Describe Jim Toner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Jim Toner
Atlanta

Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her... My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses...I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer...Helen [nurse] was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things...The clinic is really nice and clean. Labs and US are efficient and fast. The front desk staff are great. Getting appointments are easy. We have had some issues with Emory charging us extra (that was fixed) but then also still waiting for them to refund us for services we didnt do.
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
As stated before, Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask as many questions as you can. They will be answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I never felt like a number. My questions were always answered quickly. Dr Hipp is very caring and passionate. She would even check in on me during her days off (Easter)
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I was initially delayed a couple of weeks because they found a cyst and my period didnt start. My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer. I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
Helen was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
$17,000 to $20,000 including medications
Atlanta

She [Dr. Spencer] did a great job of explaining the process and answering our questions, and setting our plan. We did not see her very often though. She did not perform any of the check ups, just some of the procedures, and the initial consultations. ... I know that she adjusted my clomid with each attempt. ... She took the time to talk to us when formulating a plan, but we did not see her often. ...
There are long waits. You have to pay for parking after a short period, you do not see your doctor often. The reception staff [Emory University Reproductive Center] is not always discreet. The ultrasound technicians sometimes spoke before they should have, worrying me unnecessarily. There is free coffee/tea in the waiting room. ... I believe each IUI was around $1,000. ... It would have been nice to see the same nurses consistently, but they did a good job.
She did a great job of explaining the process and answering our questions, and setting our plan. We did not see her very often though. She did not perform any of the check ups, just some of the procedures, and the initial consultations.
Write down your list of questions so you don't forget anything
I don't remember specifics, but I know that she adjusted my clomid with each attempt.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
There are long waits. You have to pay for parking after a short period, you do not see your doctor often. The reception staff is not always discreet. The ultrasound technicians sometimes spoke before they should have, worrying me unnecessarily. There is free coffee/tea in the waiting room.
I believe each IUI was around $1,000.
We did not end up needing IVF, but during the consultation, she explained that she wanted to transfer a single embryo to reduce the risk of multiples.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I was told something worrisome from an ultrasound technician about the quality of my lining/follicles, but when the doctor called that afternoon (as is the procedure), they said there was nothing to worry about.
Atlanta

I love Dr. Hipp! So compassionate and a great communicator. She walked me through each step of my treatment and was always there when I needed her. If she was not available she would make sure someone great was there to take care of me...Dr. Hipp told me if we had multiple embryos that she would only transfer one at a time especially sense we did genetic testing...
Nursing staff [at Emory University Reproductive Center] was great but I did have one nurse in the beginning of my treatment that did forget to call me to let me know my results and my next steps of treatment...The women that take your blood could be a little more friendly but I love the women that did all my ultrasounds. Clinic is nice and clean! The women in the front office are very nice...I did 3 egg retrieval’s. We got 10 eggs out. The last retrieval was the hardest. I had to be put on a extra injection a growth hormone. My follicles were not growing as we wanted. We were able to make one good normal embryo. It is frozen and waiting for transfer.
IVF Journey is hard! Be patient and don’t give up.
I felt like a human with Dr. Hipp not a number.
Nursing staff was great but I did have one nurse in the beginning of my treatment that did forget to call me to let me know my results and my next steps of treatment.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The women that take your blood could be a little more friendly but I love the women that did all my ultrasounds. Clinic is nice and clean! The women in the front office are very nice. I really like them a lot.
35.000
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Hipp told me if we had multiple embryos that she would only transfer one at a time especially sense we did genetic testing. Which I was totally fine with.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
One nurse forgot to call me with my results but other then that I love Emory!
Atlanta

[Dr. Heather Hipp is an] Amazing communicator...always went above and beyond to call and commmnicate results and info that may not have been clear...always called to reassure me the process...she was very compassionate and caring thru the entire process...She always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
[The nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center was] Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up...Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better...She [Dr. Heather Hipp] always tried to help me reduce anxiety and stress. By staying informative and telling me to work less because I am a nurse. She indicated stress could cause negative results she recommended massages and breathing techniques
Amazing communicator always went above and beyond to call and commmnicate results and info that may not have been clear always called to reassure me the process she was very compassionate and caring thru the entire process
Be optimistic and and remain stress free
Very welcoming cared about very involved in my care. Very compassionate very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Unlnown)
Very knowledgeable prompt compassionate always called back and followed up
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Compassion concern always followed up and very polite caring. Made each visit very welcoming for my boyfriend and I. There were no weakness. I just wished the outcomes were better. I had a overal experience
I wish we could of done mutiple to increase my chances of pregnancy to a vapid having to do the process again. Although my doctor was concerned with my health and the pregnancy I wish it was note that could be done with embryo selection or a better choice

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Hipp is always very quick to respond to questions and remembers personal details of life...Dr. Hipp reached out to me each time I had questions. She personally called to check on me after my D&C....We began seeing Dr Hipp after a miscarriage from an IUI. She encouraged us to do an IUI again with metformin, follistim , and ovidrel and switched me to letrozole. I was then placed on progesterone suppositories and baby aspirin after the procedure.
[Emory] Strengths: cheaper than other clinics. Easily reachable Weaknesses: not always organized...Helen was my main nurse but others would sometimes call. Helen was always very encouraging...Medications sent to discount pharmacy so much cheaper than imagined. Injectibles ranged from $85-$270. IUI procedure around $700 Ultrasounds and visits covered by insurance...Dr. Hipp is always very quick to respond to questions and remembers personal details of life
Dr. Hipp reached out to me each time I had questions. She personally called to check on me after my D&C. After losing our baby before my birthday she made sure to be extremely kind and encouraged me to still have a good birthday. After we were in a car accident which I briefly mentioned she reached out to me to check in on us
Never be afraid to email her questions
We began seeing Dr Hipp after a miscarriage from an IUI. She encouraged us to do an IUI again with metformin, follistim , and ovidrel and switched me to letrozole. I was then placed on progesterone suppositories and baby aspirin after the procedure. I am now on progesterone oil injections of 1ml
Atlanta
She [Dr. Spencer] thoroughly went over my history with me to determine the best course of action. She let me know the chances of doing the IUI successfully were slim due to the fact that I have endometriosis. She let me know that IVF would probably be best to do but due to the cost I decided to try out the IUI ... The instructions I was given was specific to me and not generic. The fact that I have endometriosis was taken into consideration
What I like about Emory is that they were up front with the costs. I was not left in the dark not know what my bill would be. The only issue I had was waiting to get labs done, this took a very looooong time as the waiting area was always jam packed ... Emory clinic's approach is to do eSet ... The nurses were always nice and patient. They would always come back and reitierate what the doctor had gone over and also answer any additional questions
She thoroughly went over my history with me to determine the best course of action. She let me know the chances of doing the IUI successfully were slim due to the fact that I have endometriosis. She let me know that IVF would probably be best to do but due to the cost I decided to try out the IUI
Be patient and ask questions if things are not clear.
I was initially given Clomid but I asked for it to be changed to Femara due reviews of it not working for Endo patients. I believe I was also prescribed Follistism, can't remember what else.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Total cost was about $4000. This was for consultation, full panel bloodwork, IUI
Emory clinic's approach is to do eSet
Atlanta

Dr. Hipp explained all possibilities thoroughly, and when things didn't go as planned, she took time to call in person to relay news and discuss possible solutions moving forward. Reviewed messages and answered those addressed directly to her, and answered very thoroughly.... Very supportive and understanding, Dr and staff... They let us choose [a single or multiple transfer] while also giving their professional opinion
[Emory is] Small, but state of the art facilities. Very professional, prompt responses to any questions and appointment calls. Clean. Privacy honored. Ideally located in midtown. Always available to answer questions... Nurse was more pen and paper based than electronic. All staff was always friendly, helpful, professional, and seemed to know what they were doing
Be honest and relay all your concerns from the beginning
Very supportive and understanding, Dr and staff
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen Battiste)
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
They let us choose while also giving their professional opinion
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass is good communicator and has warm bedside manners. She did explain the issue at hand and specified the risk associated with the process. Getting an appointment with the doctor is tough as she is quite busy....Clomid 24 Hr prior to process Injection in the stomach IUI... Clinic is quite neat and well maintained but is located in a sky scraper, the elevator of which is very annoying. The place is more expensive than other places so unless one is covered by Insurance one should look for other places
Clinic is quite neat and well maintained but is located in a sky scraper, the elevator of which is very annoying. The place is more expensive than other places so unless one is covered by Insurance one should look for other places... 840 for IUI... Dr. Kawwass is good communicator and has warm bedside manners. She did explain the issue at hand and specified the risk associated with the process. Getting an appointment with the doctor is tough as she is quite busy.
Ask Dr. Kawwass to perform the procedure herself rather than giving it to some nurse
Her words were encouraging and she tried to calm me as well as explain the issue at hand.
Clomid 24 Hr prior to process Injection in the stomach IUI
840 for IUI
2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Bowling did her absolute best to help me and help me understand everything i had going on i would definitely go back to see her. She checked on me after my IUI the three times i had it with her was unsuccessful and she was able to tell me my next steps but I wasn't financially ready to take those steps and she understood and told me she will be there when I needef to come back
Expensive, busy but attentive and great doctors. Flexible schedule open sometimes on Saturday. Sometimes they [Emory University Repro Ctr] were over booked and ot was long wait times. The area was always busy traffic and I really like Dr bowling so I drove far to see her.... Dr. Bowling did her absolute best to help me and help me understand everything i had going on i would definitely go back to see her.
Be prepared financially if possible
Very professional and caring
In a rush
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Expensive, busy but attentive and great doctors. Flexible schedule open sometimes on Saturday. Sometimes they were over booked and ot was long wait times. The area was always busy traffic and I really like Dr bowling so I drove far to see her.
Meaghan Bowling
2015, Successful
Dr. Kawwass was wodnderful, she explained everything to my husband and I. She took the time to ask how we were and to discuss everything I wanted to know. We could call or message her with all questions...I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process...Don’t feel embarrassed to ask, she’s there to help you.
I was talked to as a human, sat down with, talked to on the phone and really respected through the process [at Emory University Reproductive Center]...The nursing staff made me feel so comfortable and helped me in anyway they could...The clinic was very easy to work with as well as to access the needed information. The front office staff was friendly and helpful and made me feel comfortable every time I came in. They helped me get through such a hard time. I have already referred several friends to the clinic.
Don’t feel embarrassed to ask, she’s there to help you.
Atlanta
Test that would have ascertained if I had PCOS was not run. I also was hospitalized due to hyper stimulation in fertility process but was watched carefully.
Sarah Berga

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Kawwass is very blunt, but she does make you feel taken care of. I do feel a little bit like a number, and I wish that her care was a bit more holistic...[new patient advice] Be ready to take notes, come informed, and ask a lot of questions. She is very smart and blunt, but you can meet her with being informed yourself so that you are not learning the basics there with her and can dig into more important questions or things that are specific to you.
[Emory University Reproductive Center] Strengths are that they have lots of appointments and seem to always be able to accommodate my scheduling needs. Weaknesses are that I do not feel like I have had enough time or personal experience with my doctor...If we pursue IVF the cost will be at least $20,000 per needed cycle. If we do an IUI that will be only around $1,000.00
Dr. Kawwass is very blunt, but she does make you feel taken care of. I do feel a little bit like a number, and I wish that her care was a bit more holistic. Sometimes I worry that she doesn't take into account our whole fertility picture, but it's hard to see considering we have not started treatment yet.
Dr. Kawwass is very blunt. She has been good so far, but I feel like her treatment could be more thorough. Overall I am happy with her care so far.
Some of the nurses are super nice and helpful, while others just made me feel like I was a piece of meat walking through the office. I wish that they would be a bit more personal.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
If we pursue IVF the cost will be at least $20,000 per needed cycle. If we do an IUI that will be only around $1,000.00. It seems expensive, but variable.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Once my husband was ordered to take a test and went to the location for the test, but the doctor/clinic had not actually called it in. This was an inconvenience for us as we had to physically return to the clinic and ask them to order the test for him, then physically return to the location for the test.
Atlanta

Dr Schirmer is very good at explaining biological issues. However, he does not know all the in's and outs of financial repercussions or timing of ordering prescriptions, so there was a lot of non-communication between him and his support staff...always ask follow-up questions and what if scenarios. "What are my next steps? Who should I contact? What if my medication doesn't come in time? If I miss an appointment or am 15 minutes late, what should I do?"
There are multiple [Emory University Reproductive Center] nurses that will read your messages in the portal. The portal does not allow a "reply" feature, and their names are not found in the portal...My insurance covered my first round, but very little medication. $7k total after insurance...[clinic error]They didn't submit orders to the pharmacy multiple times in my case. Which led to scraping my treatment half way through 1 round, and also having to delay another round.
The care team uses online portals to communicate, and were extremely poor at doing so. There were multiple nurses reading my messages, and they wouldn't read previous conversation threads, so they'd ask similar questions or not answer my questions. And it took at least 24 hours to receive any form of response. I would call their after hours line frequently with questions, and they'd respond with "i'll enter your question into the portal". Due to this poor communication, I had 2 months of cancelled treatment because I couldn't get prescriptions sent in time or ordered correctly. Horrible.
There are multiple nurses that will read your messages in the portal. The portal does not allow a "reply" feature, and their names are not found in the portal. It is a nightmare. I've been to 2 other fertility places, and they both use better systems and communicate in a timely manner without shuffling cases.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Clinic stinks. They forgot to take my payments, with-held treating me until the balance of my previous treatment was sorted out with my insurance, and they don't answer their phones. It feels like no one knows what they're doing because you can't reach them, or there are too many cooks in the kitchen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center.
David Austin Schirmer III