550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-778-3401

Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He made sure to cross the t's dot the i's. ... He ran all the fertility tests AMH, FSH, HSG, etc. He also did genetic testing to see if there were any genetic problems.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They [Emory University Repro Center] try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
How was your experience with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He was very through and made sure to cross the t's dot the i's.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Ask questions...even the silly ones. He takes his time and it's happy to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols David Austin Schirmer III used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia)
She answered my questions on the portal very quickly. She checked in on me during my miscarriage to make sure I was doing ok.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
Describe David Austin Schirmer III's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I believe he recommends eSET.
David Austin Schirmer III
Atlanta

I love Dr. Hipp! So compassionate and a great communicator. She walked me through each step of my treatment and was always there when I needed her. If she was not available she would make sure someone great was there to take care of me...Dr. Hipp told me if we had multiple embryos that she would only transfer one at a time especially sense we did genetic testing...
Nursing staff [at Emory University Reproductive Center] was great but I did have one nurse in the beginning of my treatment that did forget to call me to let me know my results and my next steps of treatment...The women that take your blood could be a little more friendly but I love the women that did all my ultrasounds. Clinic is nice and clean! The women in the front office are very nice...I did 3 egg retrieval’s. We got 10 eggs out. The last retrieval was the hardest. I had to be put on a extra injection a growth hormone. My follicles were not growing as we wanted. We were able to make one good normal embryo. It is frozen and waiting for transfer.
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
IVF Journey is hard! Be patient and don’t give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I felt like a human with Dr. Hipp not a number.
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Nursing staff was great but I did have one nurse in the beginning of my treatment that did forget to call me to let me know my results and my next steps of treatment.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The women that take your blood could be a little more friendly but I love the women that did all my ultrasounds. Clinic is nice and clean! The women in the front office are very nice. I really like them a lot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
35.000
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Hipp told me if we had multiple embryos that she would only transfer one at a time especially sense we did genetic testing. Which I was totally fine with.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.
One nurse forgot to call me with my results but other then that I love Emory!
Atlanta

She [Dr. Kawwass] always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all...After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant.
[The nurses at FCI were] Super responsive. I always got call backs and replies on the patient portal to my messages within 1-2 hours. It was really amazing to be treated so well!...Excellent clinic. Easy to get in for appointments quickly, and very quick turnaround times. The clinic staff all communicate really well and I always felt like I was in the best hands. The clinic location is great, new, clean and top notch...team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass was incredible. She always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all. I never felt like she was rushed and needed to move on. She also really took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I appreciated. One thing I really valued about her was that she really knows the medical literature and studies really well, and for someone like me that really likes that evidence, she was an amazing doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Write down your questions in advance - she will go through each one of them with you and it was always really helpful to have handy during my visits with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass and the team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Kawwass had a lot of great recommendations for me, and while many of them were minor "tweaks" in my care, it resulted in a positive outcome. After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant. She also had recommendations for just two supplements that had shown some effectiveness (many others she said were a waste of money and did not work), so I took these two to help improve egg quality prior to the clomid cycle. The clomid worked in the first cycle! I am 12 weeks pregnant now. Dr. Kawwass was so amazing helping to calm my nerves, as I was able to come in for almost weekly ultrasounds when I was nervous about spotting or other concerns about having another miscarriage. Overall, all of these changes to my treatment have resulted in a pregnancy that I hope to carry to term.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
My insurance covered the majority of my treatment.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass is against multiple embryo transfer because of the severe complications and health risks that multiple embryos can cause both mother and babies. I agree with this policy after she explained it to me. Though having twins sounded amazing at first after struggling with fertility, given all the current worries I have just at 12 weeks and knowing how much MORE I would worry about all the health risks of multiples, I completely understand this viewpoint as it is founded in evidence-based and scientific research.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass is compassionate and enthusiastic. She makes the process seem routine and takes the scary out of it. She explains her diagnoses and treatments so that it can be easily understood and makes herself readily available to answer questions in a timely manner.... Dr. Kawwass is a firm believer in eSET for first timers without obvious fertility issues identified.
The clinic [Emory] is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!... I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Bring your positive attitude!
Dr. Kawwass is warm and detailed in her appointments. She is encouraging and explains everything in a way that is easy to understand. Her staff are quick to respond to communication. The only downside has been hold ups with the insurance coverage and starting treatment but since this is a newly covered service I imagine the process will improve in speed, efficiency, and know how very quickly!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
The nursing staff and care coordinator are very responsive and knowledgeable. They work quickly to keep things moving and are compassionate and caring. They always follow through with requests.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!
All of the diagnostics for infertility were covered in full by my insurance. I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Atlanta

Dr. Hipp is amazing and so educated. She made sure to explain everything so we could understand it. If there were any set backs she made sure to call in addition to the nurses. She is just wonderful and I will definitely work with her again.... Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses.
The doctors are Emory’s strength. They are some of the best in the US. I would recommend staying on top of the financial office and make sure your insurance covers meds or you will regret that! Overall, we had impeccable care....Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds....We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage
Ask as many questions as you need. Even if you feel like you are bothering them.
Dr. Hipp is very sweet. She’s like family. Hurts when you hurt, Happy when things go your way.
Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses. About 7 days in we did the Cetrotide to prevent ovulation. We did the trigger shot on day 11 if I recall and the retrieval 2 days later. We got 9 eggs, 6 were mature. In the end we had 2 make it. We did a fresh transfer with a 4AA blast which ended in a chemical. We still have one frozen that we will transfer in July.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
Helen was the one who called us with updates and told us what to do. She is very good at answering emails and calls you back the same day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage we had at the time to our prescription costs.
Atlanta

Be prepared that she [Dr. Jennifer Kawwass] is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures...I only did IUIs. But my regimen was clomid and then 1 day of injection of Gonadotropins And then the trigger shot (Ovidril). This is the regimen that we used 2x and that resulted in the pregnancy. But they key was banking sperm ahead of time. Which they didn’t tell us was an option until we were getting ready for the 3rd IUI. It was very frustrating. And I asked about it because I had read online it was a possibility.
Several [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to...I wish they had told us about sperm banking sooner, also I think each doctor should have their own nurse (or maybe 2 that each take 1/2 the week) that responds to calls and portal emails. I felt like the care was very disjointed and you felt like a number. But on an individual level, I liked our doctor and a couple of the nurses that really seemed to care and remember me.
Jennifer Kawwass is very kind and has good bedside manner. I felt like she genuinely cared if we were successful or not. Even when we switched doctors she wanted us to come back and see her when we started our family. What I didn’t like was that the continuity for care for me and my husband was always different. I never felt like outside of her office people really knew who I was. And it wa s always someone different responding to emails on the portal or providing the actual care.
Be prepared that she is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures.
Dr. Kawwass was wondeful. Kind thoughtful, but always truthful. I appreciated her honesty. What I didn’t like was that for the 4 IUIs over the course of more than a year, we only saw her 3 times, the initial consult, after our miscarriage (which had complications) and then ahead of our final IUI. We did talk on the phone twice. But every time I went Fir the IUI or the MVA after the miscarriage I saw a different doctor or fellow - and none were her. Also the patient portal I felt like there was inconsistency with the nurses responding. I recommend Dr. Kawwass personally, but overall was disappointed in the overall care and service at Emory.
Several were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
That you may not see your doctor for the actual procedures. And that you need to research things yourself ahead of time to ask questions and at times advocate for yourself. I really had to push for antibiotics when I felt like I was getting an infection as a result of a miscarriage that had left behind some tissue.
It was minimal since it was just IUI and I has good insurance. I did have to follow-up repeatedly to get cost info for IVF and it only happened when we went back and had our final consultation with Dr.Kawwass - so she had set it up. The point person never responded to my personal emails or voicemails, but I know she had some family issues at that time. So I understood to some extent, but someone should have been responding on her behalf.
NA this hasn’t happened yet and is with another doctor.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass was very attentive and listened to all of our concerns. The office staff were also very warm and friendly both in person and on the phone...listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Everything was great [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Dr.Kawwass listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. She was great at answering all of our questions and addressing our concerns.
Antagonist IVF treatment. BCP on 1st day of Menses. Baseline. labs and ultrasounds. Start Stims after period starts again. Egg retrieval. Fresh Transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Sushila)
The nursing staff were great. Sushila was my main Nurse. She would always respond to me promptly through the patient portal or would call me. If she was not in office that say Nancy or someone else would respond to my inquiries right away. She went above and beyond to communicate with the office I was using for satellite monitoring as I am in Nashville and they are in Atlanta.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was great. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Our insurance covered IVF. We did have to pay out of pocket for ICSI ,our out of pocket amounts and the patient amount for the medications
Single Embryo transfer was recommended as I was 29 yrs old at the time with no health issues.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass did not perform any of our procedures, but we were aware she was consulted throughout. Our meetings with her were thorough and encouraging. When we were worried, she would always appear just to comfort us...Know that as medical director she may not be available for the day to day, but she knows her stuff and is a great team leader to help you find the best course of treatment and hopefully positive results.
The physicians and nurses [at Emory University] were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated...It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.
Dr. Kawwass is warm and friendly and makes an intimidating process seem manageable. She always listened and responded to our concerns however we presented them and we felt like she truly wanted us to conceive.
IUI 1-3: Letrozole - Ovidrel trigger Then HSG test. IUI 4 added Menopur for thin lining. IVF: reciprocal with wife's eggs. Me: gestational parent: Birth Control for 4 weeks, daily Lupron shots, estrogen patches. 2CC Progesterone injections daily from retrieval through 9 weeks. Prometrium suppositories 3x day through 12 weeks. We didn't ask why this protocol, but I had very few side effects and we were willing to try anything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy )
Nancy oversaw our protocol, but with the amount of ultrasounds and blood draws much of our kudos go to Amy and the other ultrasound techs for being so kind and gentle and informative.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The physicians and nurses were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated.
Because there were two people invovled, and we have seperate insurance, my IVF protocol was covered outside my $1500 copay. My wife's insurance did not have fertility coverage but she was given a discount. All in for 6 IUI and 1 IVF we spent just over $20,000 including donor sperm.
We only had 2 make it to Day 5, only one was transferred.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Only with the billing and insurance coordination side. It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment....she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment.
Clinic [Emory] was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.... Nursing staff were always friendly and professional... Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature.
Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment. Even though I didn’t see her at every visit I trusted her team and knew she was consulted on the decisions around my care.
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment. I always found her very empathetic and approachable and appreciated how she never ‘dumbed things down’ when talking about my treatment plan or answering questions.
We started with letrozole only cycles to stimulate ovulation with timed intercourse. At the time both my husband and I were traveling for work so it was difficult for timing intercourse so we eventually moved to stimulation plus IUI. When that didn’t work for a few months I started an IVF cycle with injectables but I wasn’t producing enough eggs so we switched to an IUI. I got pregnant with my daughter on that cycle. When I went back to the clinic 2 years later to start trying again we did a clomid+menopur cycle and IUI and I got pregnant in that first cycle.
Nursing staff were always friendly and professional
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clinic was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.
Costs were covered by insurance so only paid $40 co pay on some visits
N/a - did not do IVf

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect [to Dr. Kawass] on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time...If you're the type of person that just wants to be told what to do - she's incredible...
Emory is a teaching hospital. Be prepared to handle that. Everyone is wonderful but some are still learning and it makes for some interesting experiences. If you're not up for making room for that, this is not your clinic...sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening.
My surgical procedure was successful but the after care was not as aggressive as it could have been. Other procedures included hormones and other precautions to avoid the condition returning. Her communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time.
..."don't come back to me a year from now saying you're ready to try IVF"... it was a devastating appointment. Not to mention we received a call from the pharmacy to pick up shots we weren't ready to use before we even left the parking lot. We did choose to take things slow after surgery... and she may have been right on the money about our timing but it isn't just about what works on paper. Knowing now just how much IUI costs add up and contemplating IVF and what it may do to our savings, there was no way we could have afforded it then. It will be financial restrictions in the end that may keep us from building our family - which is unfair and unacceptable. That said, on that day I felt like I was in danger of ruining someone's success record instead of someone who came in ready to take part in my treatment.
Pills to bring on cycle Ultrasounds HSG and SHG Surgery to address unexplained adhesion Did not order hormone regimen or balloon cath Suggested 2 immediate rounds of IUI followed by IVF within 4 months post op
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Teaching environment often leaves a lot to be desired... the little things. And sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening. Another of the nurses told me there was "no response" because my activity didn't meet the standards on paper. This is the kind of news that can send you under a blanket for days!! You have to advocate for yourself EVERY step of the way here and that is difficult to navigate when treatments are new and the process is a mystery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Inconsistent results have been revealed. I had to insist that a note be placed in my chart that I don't care about what is "supposed" to be happening, I want to know what "is" happening and hear recommendations based on both parts of the equation. I am my own advocate and it is exhausting and somewhat scary to not really be led through the process. Some have far better bedside manner than other and that's fine. I just often feel I'm at square one every time I walk in.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Hipp] is always willing to support our choices - as long as there are still options on the table. I have never felt left out of the conversation or the decisions we have made in my treatment and surgical plans... is knowledgeable, confident, and compassionate...is willing to advocate for your care to fit you and your needs - all while competently addressing the issues at hand. She is willing to look under all the rocks for possible adjustments or procedures and is willing to allow your body to work hard in its own unique time.
I have missed critical pre-op appointments with my RE [at Emory University] that were never scheduled. I have had a balloon catheter placed without prior discussion. I have had medications I wasn't ready for called in on my behalf. I have been brought in for procedures in the past despite being in the wrong phase of my cycle for the test. I've had a nurse answer a personal call whilst an ultrasound wand was inside my vagina...is a teaching environment and not all of the nurses have the same approach to sharing treatment results.
Dr. Hipp was my personal choice having met with her for the various procedures that began my treatment. We immediately built a report. She is always willing to support our choices - as long as there are still options on the table. I have never felt left out of the conversation or the decisions we have made in my treatment and surgical plans. While still in the burgeoning years of her career, Dr. Hipp is knowledgeable, confident, and compassionate.
Dr. Hipp is willing to advocate for your care to fit you and your needs - all while competently addressing the issues at hand. She is willing to look under all the rocks for possible adjustments or procedures and is willing to allow your body to work hard in its own unique time.
Dr. Hipp is warm and friendly. She is realistic and gentle-of-spirit - even when the subject of conversation is not the news you'd like. At one point in my treatment, Dr. Hipp called me personally to share some troubling news and immediately went to work to have my tests reevaluated so that we had plenty of options and information to work with. She is so caring and hopeful for us, with us, and is always direct without being unkind.
We have worked hard for years combating unexplained scar tissue - pills, injections, tests, surgeries, balloon catheters - together we've thrown out the rule books and have made tremendous progress. We've had varying levels of hormones serve as roadblocks along the way and through Dr. Hipp's guidance, have corrected and been able to keep moving forward. And we haven't stopped yet - we finally got the last surgical procedure aligned with the right combination of injections, acupuncture, a proper cath... - and low and behold, my cycles even came back unassisted for the first time in years! Dr. Hipp's recommendations have been strategic and considerate of my unique circumstances. We will likely move forward with IVF in the coming weeks and I know that I am in good hands as we attempt this next phase.
ERC is a teaching environment and not all of the nurses have the same approach to sharing treatment results. As an example - follicles like mine respond very slowly - but they are responding. Some nurses see the slow response not match what is considered to be large enough to get excited about. Some tell you every detail. For me, I want and need to know that I have growth at xx size and at xx amount on each ovary - as opposed to being told there has been "no response" simply because the sizing hasn't reached the size that nurse has been trained to disclose. So, I've had to say - "Put it in my chart that I want to know every detail. You can't tell a 40-year-old woman there's 'no response' to 225 daily units of Follistim when what's really happening is 8 follicles measuring at 8s and 9s." For me, any progress is progress and I've been able to take the information and use it to determine if the cycle was still viable for IUI. So far, so good. The staff is open to making adjustments - but you have to advocate for yourself in this environment. Otherwise, the lessons tend to be more focused by-the-book.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
This clinic is a teaching environment and that is an environment I've had to make adjustments for. On occasion, I've had the ultrasound tech that is nervous or the nurse that answers her cell phone. There have been some surprises along the way. If you choose to seek treatment here, remember that it is okay to refuse to let 4 fellows in the room for your SHG or whatever heinous and scary test you may have to have run during your journey and take opportunities to share your constructive feedback. You are first and foremost!
My insurance covers a great deal of the costs. My deductible is $2700. In 2018, my IUI medications cost me $5300 out of pocket in addition to meeting my individual deductible.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I have missed critical pre-op appointments with my RE that were never scheduled. I have had a balloon catheter placed without prior discussion. I have had medications I wasn't ready for called in on my behalf. I have been brought in for procedures in the past despite being in the wrong phase of my cycle for the test. I've had a nurse answer a personal call whilst an ultrasound wand was inside my vagina. I've had a fellow perform an SHG and endured the replacement/adjustment of the speculum 6 times - SIX....times during the procedure. I had one of my catheters removed by a male fellow that I had never met before without prior consult. It's been an adventure.
2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr Kawwass remembers a lot about me, my job, my husband’s job, where we live. She looks me in the eyes when we speak instead of the computer and is doing everything in her power to get me pregnant. She seems to genuinely care about her patients... Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
Emory hospital is amazing, when I had my surgery to remove my hydrosalpinx, the nursing staff was outstanding and caring. I love the doctors there, even the fellows. they recently renovated the office and it looks great.
In 2017 I did three cycles of IVF. One fresh and two frozen. After none resulted in a pregnancy, I knew I needed a break. Two years came and went and when I returned to the clinic she remembered everything about me and my husband.
Dr Kawwass will do anything in her power to help you get the baby you have always wanted.
Egg retrieval from only one ovary because I lost on to a dermoid cyst. Three cycles, one fresh with one embryo because I was young and healthy. Two frozen cycles with two embryos because I requested. This most recent cycle we re did all of the bloodwork and diagnostic tests. My HSG showed blocked tube resulting in a diagnosis of hydrosalpinx. This was removed and we will start a frozen cycle in one month
Michelle was my nurse in 2017 and she was wonderful. Always responded to questions quickly. Most recent staff is not as quick but they are sweet and helpful
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The costs included the monitoring-bloodwork and ultrasounds, all the medications. The frozen transfers included only the transfers
Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
2017 - 2019, Successful
The retrieval round [with Dr. Kawwass] was quite successful, thankfully, and we then did both PGS and PGD genetic testing, on account of a recessive genetic condition that both of us carry. Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer...She took the time to get to know us personally as well as our outlook on starting a family...is simultaneously an expert professional and a warm and empathetic human being. She takes time to get to know you and your situation and clearly presents all the relevant data and logistical information. She will give you as much detail and nuance as you indicate that you would like to here. Her only downside is can be hard to get a first appointment with her because she is very popular on account of the strengths related above!
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] are fantastic. They work together very well and, like Dr. Kawwass, are both very professional and very warm...Navigating insurance coverage, pharmacy benefits, genetic testing, and finances was the most difficult part of the retrieval stage. Dr. Kawwass and the nurses were as helpful as they could be, and I think they now have a "patient experience" coordinator to help patients jump through all of these logistical hurdles...Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer.
Dr. Kawwass is simultaneously an expert professional and a warm and empathetic human being. She takes time to get to know you and your situation and clearly presents all the relevant data and logistical information. She will give you as much detail and nuance as you indicate that you would like to here. Her only downside is can be hard to get a first appointment with her because she is very popular on account of the strengths related above!
Make an appointment with her as soon as you think you are interested in pursuing fertility treatment, in case the appointment has to be a couple of months off.
We had a case of "unexplained infertility," and she recommended that we try up to three rounds of IUIs. Though she thought IUI stood a good chance of working for us, she gave us at our first consult the outlook for IVF working at various ages so that we could factor that into our decision-making. After three IUIs didn't work, we got more information about the financing and logistics of IVF. We made some minor changes in the IUI protocols, but I don't remember the details. Since I couldn't make the many required visits to the clinic until the summer, we did two more rounds of IUIs and planned to start IVF late May if need be. The IUIs did not work for us, so we started preparing for a retrieval round in early summer 2018. Navigating insurance coverage, pharmacy benefits, genetic testing, and finances was the most difficult part of the retrieval stage. Dr. Kawwass and the nurses were as helpful as they could be, and I think they now have a "patient experience" coordinator to help patients jump through all of these logistical hurdles. (JFF also provides some counseling on this now, I think.) The retrieval round was quite successful, thankfully, and we then did both PGS and PGD genetic testing, on account of a recessive genetic condition that both of us carry. Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer. In the fall, we did a frozen transfer of one of our "good" embryos, and thankfully, the embryo implanted and I had a healthy pregnancy, leading to the birth of a healthy baby 10 months later! We thankfully have additional frozen embryos and hope to work with Dr. Kawwass and her team again.
They are fantastic. They work together very well and, like Dr. Kawwass, are both very professional and very warm.
Dr. Kawwass explained that, after embryos have "passed" PGS genetic testing, it would be irresponsible to implant more than one, as the chances of one healthy embryo implanting in a healthy uterus are very good.
Jennifer Kawwass

He [Dr. Toner] was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance...He recommended not doing pgs since I only had 1 embryo. Cost was important to me and I'd rather give it a try than send off for testing. He was willing to transfer note than 1 if I had more...Do your research and come prepared with questions. He will take the time to answer them but you need to narrow down what you want to discuss.
I found it [Emory University Reproductive Center] to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
How was your experience with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
He was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance. I feel very comfortable in his care. It is clear he knows what he is doing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had good discussions on my care. He listened and discussed research and the reasons why he was selecting aspects of my care.
Describe the protocols Jim Toner used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I used follistim 300 and menopur 150 daily for 11 days. Triggered with pregnyl 10,000 hcg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle was amazing! She was great at communicating and I felt like she was in my corner! This was my first experience with ivf and she made it very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I found it to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I think a cycle was around $15k.
Describe Jim Toner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Jim Toner
Atlanta

Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her... My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses...I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer...Helen [nurse] was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things...The clinic is really nice and clean. Labs and US are efficient and fast. The front desk staff are great. Getting appointments are easy. We have had some issues with Emory charging us extra (that was fixed) but then also still waiting for them to refund us for services we didnt do.
As stated before, Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her.
Ask as many questions as you can. They will be answered.
I never felt like a number. My questions were always answered quickly. Dr Hipp is very caring and passionate. She would even check in on me during her days off (Easter)
I was initially delayed a couple of weeks because they found a cyst and my period didnt start. My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer. I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
Helen was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things.
$17,000 to $20,000 including medications
Atlanta

Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system.... Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times.... I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
Everything [Emory U] was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny....We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel.
Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel. Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times. Yes, that is right she would call as well to check on me. The only issue that is experiencing is that now that we are pregnant and had to graduate someone else it is difficult to find another doctor and staff to live up to ERC’s standards. 😊 This place really set the bar high. On the day of graduation, I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
If you haven't tried ERC you must give them a try.
IVF Injections/Patches SUCCESS on the first try Four months pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Michelle)
Nurse Michelle was incredibly charismatic. She was such a joy to be around. When I was worried, she helped to put my mind at ease. She loves leopard too.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny. They didn't behave like cash cows and was after people's money. It was evident that they wanted success for others and their families. They understood due to the high stakes and the emotions that come along with trying to conceive. They never got upset when I had so many questions. Boy did I have questions, and they were right there.
Roughly $40,000.
Atlanta

As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. ... Take her bluntness with a grain of salt because she is only giving realistic expectations instead of painting an unobtainable picture for you. She tells you what you need to hear, not what you necessarily want to hear. ...
It’s [Emory University Repro Center] very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply. ... They [nurses] were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had a very positive experience with Dr. Spencer. As a current student I came prepared with millions of questions spanning from the whole process, what my journey would be like, and how important finances are. She answered all questions to the best of her ability and made sure I understood her. She took all of my client specific concerns and addressed them realistically. I left fully understanding what my next steps needed to be.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. She took all person specific details of my life and gave me realistic answers. I appreciated the client-centered approach she took to make me feel like a human.
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
AMH testing and maintaining a close watch over me.
They were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It’s very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Without insurance, freezing eggs is $10,000. Freezing embryos is $20,000.
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Jessica Spencer
2019, Consult
So far I have only had one appointment with Dr Schirmer and he was very thorough. He explained each test and procedure he would like done and explains WHY and WHAT it would tell us. He also described a possible plan of action based on various possible results. He did say he ultimately felt like a more aggressive approach would be recommended in my case but at the end of the day we could do whatever I am comfortable with. I believe many others may consider him to be a fast talker however...
The clinic [Emory] was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached...Meeting with Tadzia after our consult gave us a chance to further discuss the testing that was needed and ask any other questions we may have had. She was very thorough and kind.
If you already have documents bring everything you have. Bring up anything that has happened in the past even if you believe it to not be related. Bring something to take notes.
Dr Schirmer spent a great deal of time going over my records and history with me. He even stopped and asked questions or stopped to explain his thoughts about the information being given. He answered questions my husband had without hesitation.
We are not yet at that phase. However he did recommend we do IVF based on a serious infection I previously had an the damage it did to one tube. He believes that with endo and that infection the chances that my remaining tube is functional is slim.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I am currently self pay and a consult is around $450.
David Austin Schirmer III
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass does not cut corners when working towards a successful pregnancy. She will always have your best interest at heart even if you may not feel that way during that long and stressful journey! Before her name goes on it she will make sure it's in the best interest of you and the baby...I felt like a human when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. I can appreciate anyone that will give it to me straight! I didn't feel rushed when dealing with Dr. Kawwass. She was very patient when speaking with me.
I absolutely love Michelle [nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center] I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass...The facility is clean. The staff is friendly. They're really good about responding to email. Build a good relationship with the nurses that way you're just as comfortable speaking with them like you are the doctors.
I am beyond thankful for Dr. Kawwass! She never made any promises which was so important to me. Dr. Kawwass made sure I knew about the possibility of a procedure not being successful. However, she would always have a game plan for me to follow. She would call to check up on me to see if I had any questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Lawrence)
Omg!!!!!! I absolutely love Michelle Lawrence! I built a relationship with her prior to even meeting Dr. Kawwass. Michelle is very detailed, patient, informative, flexible and willing to do whatever she needs to so that you can have a successful pregnancy. Michelle had all the answers I needed if I couldn't get in touch with Dr. Kawwass.
Atlanta

she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery...She explains everything to you in a soft manner, I really like how she cares about her patients and she is very informative .
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were very helpful when I had my consultation... the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion...they are very caring...she [Dr. Heather Hipp] will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything...Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
She is very nice , very caring and she explains everything to me and I understand. I really like her . When I have a question, she is always available for me and I really like her bed side manner , I have had 2 surgeries with her so far and everything has went well.
I would let them know that she will answer all of your questions and to not be afraid to ask her anything.
They were very helpful when I had my consultation.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Strengths I would say that they are very caring. Weakness would be sometimes the doctor sends the information to the nurses to tell the patient and I feel that the doctor should tell the patient herself especially after a surgery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Well it was one time where the nurse called me with some information that I really didn’t understand and I felt that the doctor should have called me . I did tell my doctor and she apologized for the confusion.
Atlanta

I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. ... Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. ... I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. ... I never felt like a number at Emory. ... Just had one mix up over the phone with a nurse on date of an IUI but all was corrected before any damage was done.
I found doctor Kawwass after trying 2 other clinics int he area and the experience was night and day. I came into the treatment knowing I would be a poor responder to meds due to my high FSH and very low AMH. When my first attempts at injections did not produce the results I was hoping for Dr. Kawwass talked to me on the phone and helped calm me down. She did not make me feel hopeless like previous doctors. She said we would change up the protocol and that everyone was different and we would find something that worked for me. Sure enough we did and this has resulted in my first pregnancy ever. Dr. Kawwass's empathy and kindness were a shining light in a scary and difficult time.
Dr. Kawwass will be realistic but also positive about your treatment options. Trust her. She is very knowledgeable and professional.
This is why I had switched clinics 2 times previously. I never felt like a number at Emory. Each treatment is an individualized approach with a doctor who cares about you and your results.
1st attempt (IUI) we used letrozole and I produced 3 mature follicles. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2nd (IVF) attempt we used an antagonist protocol with birth control pills. This resulted in only one follicle maturing and we converted to an IUI which was unsuccessful. 3rd attempt (IVF) we changed up my med protocol to estrogen patches (fearing the birth control pills had over suppressed me) Chlomid for 5 days and then lower doses of meds (75 Menopur and 150 Follistim) This resulted in 7 eggs, 6 mature, 2 good quality and transferred back on day 3. 9 weeks of pregnancy with 1 singleton. So far ultrasounds are going well and I have been released to choose regular obgyn.
Very prompt responses. Knowledgeable. I always felt safe trusting their advice and recommendations.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Emory does not discriminate based on your initial hormone levels or prognosis. They do not refuse treatment. Even though they are not choosing preferred patients (which is how I felt about the other clinics) their success rates are still some of the highest out there. I was treated by multiple doctors there and I was confident and trusting that each one knew exactly what they were doing and treated me with the upmost care. They each treated me as if they were my primary doctor and this is what has resulted in my pregnancy.
Cost for IUI, meds, and procedure totaled approximately 20-21K
I am very happy we went with a day 3, qty 2 embryo transfer. None of mine made it to freeze and I think the early transfer was what was best for them. They took time to warn me about the chance of multiples.
Atlanta

combination of empathy and competence makes her [Dr. Kawwass] uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring...Come prepared with any and all questions--she will take the time to answer all of them and make sure you have the information you need...was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS...Strengths: The doctors and their team approach to treatment. The nurses, including the night/weekend nurse Michelle (she was always open to answering questions and providing adequate context and explanation). Weaknesses: The billing and financial side of the house. While very friendly, communication could have been better. It is strangely difficult to pay them because you have to hunt down this one person (Tereon, who is never at her desk) to take your information instead of paying online or having a centralized number where multiple people could take your CC info. I recommend double-checking your insurance claims for accuracy.
Dr. Kawwass is hands-down one of the best, if not THE best, doctors we have ever had in any specialty. Her combination of empathy and competence makes her uniquely suited to excel as a reproductive endocrinologist, an area of medicine where emotions run high. Her confidence was contagious and reassuring.
Dr. Kawwass always knew us and our history before meeting with us. She demonstrated genuine compassion and concern for our previous pregnancy-related complications, and she inspired confidence in her treatment plan and our ultimate success.
Dr. Kawwass was very attentive to my wife's risk for OHSS, and the protocol was adjusted to maximize the retrieval number while minimizing risk. 75 Menopur, 150 Folistim, Ganirelix, Pregnyl trigger. One frozen embryo was transferred to me after BCPs, leuprolide acetate, estrogen patches (up to 4 every other day), 200ml IM progesterone, and prometrium vaginal suppositories 3 times/day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
My primary nurse changed mid-treatment because my original nurse (Lutissa) left the clinic. My care was not interrupted, and Mary and Nancy picked up where Lutissa left off. Nancy is little more no-nonsense and is reluctant to classify any symptoms or experiences as "normal". I appreciated her willingness to distinguish when patients should or should not be concerned. Mary is very kind, compassionate, encouraging, and competent. Her answers to questions were always reassuring and optimistic (when appropriate). Even when sharing mixed news (e.g. a great, thick lining but a low serum E2), she was reassuring.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass clearly conveyed that a singleton live birth is considered success by the Emory Reproductive Center. It was highly recommended that we transfer one embryo since we did PGS. We felt confident in this decision.
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass felt like we needed to transfer both of our embryos at the same time given my age and to get us pregnant. It worked with 1 of them!...asked us in depth questions other doctors had not asked. She was very sensitive to what we had been through with 1 failed IVF cycle and didn't make huge promises. She was always very candid and cautious but optimistic. Her kind and genuine demeanor made us feel like she cared about us and wasn't trying to "sell" IVF to us or any process. She let us decide how we wanted to try to get pregnant.
Our nurse, care coordinator and all of the nursing staff [at Emory University Reproductive Center] were so kind. They all were pleasant each day we were at their office and knew me by name after my second appointment...The clinic is great about scheduling where you do not wait long at all. I've been to other doctor's where you felt like you were in a "baby mill" because of all of the people waiting. The only weakness is the parking of the Midtown office, but that's to be expected with Atlanta!
Dr. Kawwass loves what she does and it shows. She immediately assessed the diagnosis of our previous doctor and informed me I was not in pre-menopause as the other doctor had stated. She was clear that we had some unexplained reasons for not getting pregnant but checked on things the other doctor hadn't. She was great about reviewing our previous medical history and results and made changes to the protocol that I firmly believe got us pregnant. Her kindness and directness made us feel like she wasn't "selling" us and wanted to make sure we were taking the road we actually wanted to take.
Call her ASAP if you are having issues getting pregnant. She will be honest about your results and will dive into many aspects of your health and medical history to try and find the true reason behind your infertility. She's also extremely sensitive to how hard the process is and you feel like she cares and wants to help.
Dr. Kawwass asked us in depth questions other doctors had not asked. She was very sensitive to what we had been through with 1 failed IVF cycle and didn't make huge promises. She was always very candid and cautious but optimistic. Her kind and genuine demeanor made us feel like she cared about us and wasn't trying to "sell" IVF to us or any process. She let us decide how we wanted to try to get pregnant.
Dr. Kawwass put me on the max dosage of the stimulation medications, used estrogen patches instead of birth control to set my hormone levels and also put me on the max progesterone injections. Her methods were to get as many eggs as she could given my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Anderson)
Our nurse, care coordinator and all of the nursing staff were so kind. They all were pleasant each day we were at their office and knew me by name after my second appointment. I felt like I was in a family's home not a doctor's office due to the intimate nature of their office and quick wait time for each appointment.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Our insurance had infertility coverage so the costs with Dr. Kawwass were pleasantly smaller than our last experience without insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Only one time our nurse forgot to schedule the ultrasound. We arrived to the clinic and they didn't have our appointment scheduled. But the staff immediately worked to get us in and we waited less than 20 minutes for the ultrasound. Great response if you ask me :)
Atlanta

Dr. Spencer is always open and available to listen to my concerns and make necessary changes to my protocol after listening to me. For example, the last doctor that treated me never listened to my concerns about how the medications affected me in a major way. The meds would cause me not to ovulate properly and so when I finally went to Dr. Spencer, I informed her about this situation and she listened and made adjustments to my meds and protocol. I was sooooo happy she listened because after the medication changes I got pregnant, but it ended in a miscarriage that wasn’t Dr.Spencer’s fault. If I was ever uncomfortable during a procedure, she would even hold my hand and calm me down. I am very satisfied as a patient at Emory. Its more than excellent. Dr. Spencer is professional, patient, and kind. She takes the time to explain my care fully and also asks if I understand, if not, she fully explains until I get it. She gives me the time I need to make sound decisions and never pushy. Again, I can’t stress enough about how awesome my experience is every single time I go in for a visit at Emory with Dr. Spencer.
I would say to not be afraid to talk to Dr.Spencer. i would tell someone to let their guard down and just be open-minded and listen because ahe gives good advice and won’t lead you astray. I’d also advise them that they should set-up one on one appointments with her often to get more time to talk to her.
I was treated extremely well like a human by Dr. Spencer and her nurse staff. Emory Reproductive has a portal where you can sign-in on a computer and/or mobile device and directly contact their staff and Dr.Spencer at any single given time. This direct communication gave me a sense of security that I have always wanted from any medical doctor and facility. If I ever had a problem with my perscription, appointment dates or times, bleeding heavily, or aches and pains.... Someone was available and rady to answer my call or questions 24/7 and 365. I have never had such a caring staff and medical doctor ever before. Dr. Spencer listens to my concerns and even gives me personal advice on my medical treatment and orther situations, for example, I wanted to stop treatment, but she knew that I was just having a hard time since my embryo transfers kept failing. Dr. Spencer would give me tge mkat encouraging, sweet, and motivational speeches that would lift my spirits and help me to contine the fertility cycles. She is a very personable and lovable person and I’ll forever appreciate her and how she cares for her patients like me. She also rescheduled and made changes to her own personal schedule to make sure she is in the office to do my treatments since I have been so scared to let another doctor treat me. She is so awesome!
The long lupron protocol was done on my last cycle. I started tge lupron shots approximately 6 or 7 days before my expected period. I also would place on estradiol patches daily. Once monitored by my ultrasound shows my follicles have matured, then it was time to move into the final process. Secondly, Dr. Spencer found that I can ovulate perfectly on my own and that I would only need to do a natural FET. So we wait until my cycle came on and on a certain day of my cycle I go in for and ultrasound and look at my follicles. After they get to a certain point I have a Ovadriel trigger shot. Four days after I have a embryo transfer.
The nursing staff is absolutely amazing and always on top of my care. They are always prompt in responses about my kab results as well. If I have a question or concern, they always tell me that they would first consult with my doctor. This showed that they truly care about accuracy of advice and care that was given. I don’t see any weaknesss with the staff at this moment. They always have open availabilty and I they work around my personal schedule. For example, if I want to come in earlier than my scheduled time for an appointment, the nurse always says that fine. They are very accommodating and nice. I really appreciate this because my personal schedule can be very unpredictable from week to week. Also, when I had a miscarriage, Lisa would give me a call and check on me to just see how I was feeling. This was very touching and I appreciated the concern.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic overall is very organized. The only thing I had a small problem with was getting in touch with financial advisor to speak directly yo her about my billing. But I would say that they are on top of the financial side behind the scenes, meaning they are working really hard and getting all your claims covered as faat as possible. The financial advisor is very sweet and helpful, but just a little difficult to get in contact with if you have questions. They do get back to you, but probably not as soon as you would like, but thats understandable because she handles hundreds and thousands of patients files. The front desk people are very cordial and awesome. They greet you with a smile and are very helpful if you need to anything. For example, they would hunt down a nurse or doctor if you need them right away. Overall, the clinic is great!
The cost of the ivf cycle was $12,000 and the embry transfers was $2700.
She had a string preference for the number transferred since most of them failed, so she recommended two per embryo transfer. She said my chances would be better. I had yet to get pregnant until I started treatment with Dr. Spencer and since taking her advice with the transfer of two.... I got pregnant with twins the last transfer, but they ended both as blighted ovums. So her recommendation to transfer two actually worked.
Jessica Spencer

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire... Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too.
All of the nurses [at Emory] are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.... There was only one instance when the nurse contacted me to have tests performed that I had already completed earlier in the month. It seemed as if she and the doctor and on call team from the weekends had not been communicating about my case.
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire. She is there when you need her. She helps you get through the tough times and celebrate the victories.
Come prepared with questions, goals and objectives. She is open and honest and will answer all of your questions to the best of her ability.
She cared about my personal journey, getting to know both my husband and I and our goals and desires.
Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too. Now we are in the process of proceeding with IVF since four IUIs did not result in pregnancy.
All of the nurses are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is strong in research, IVF and availability. They are able to get a substantial number of patients pregnant through treatment cycles. They are weak in availability sometimes on the weekends.
My insurance does not cover most infertility costs so medications were not covered but ultrasounds and IUIs were. I had to pay for all medications and any other things that were part of the IVF process
Dr. Kawwass is very clear about the need for eSET and recommends it avidly throughout your care.