7.3

550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-778-3401

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Heather Hipp always takes the time to answer any questions and to explain all aspects of treatment...Each visit she sat with us for as long as it took for us to ask any and all questions in order to leave reassured...During stimulation, I was on Menopur in the morning (150iu) and Gonal-F in the evening (300iu) everyday for 10 days...I triggered with Lupron to try and avoid OHSS. I was higher risk for OHSS due to a high AMH
staff of [Emory University Reproductive Center] were compassionate and quick to respond to any questions or concerns...We financed treatment for $14,500 without monitoring or medication. The cost for monitoring and medication brought the cost to well over $20,000...I would tell a new patient not to hold too tight to the first schedule you receive as the cycle can be very unpredictable and the team has to change the approach and protocol as needed
How was your experience with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp has been working with us for many years as we prepared to start our IVF cycle. Each visit she sat with us for as long as it took for us to ask any and all questions in order to leave reassured. She and her team are very quick to respond to portal messages or concerns. Dr. Hipp made it very clear throughout the process that she was invested in obtaining the best possible results for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I would advise any patient for any doctor to write down questions as they arise so they do not forget them when they are at appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Hipp always takes the time to answer any questions and to explain all aspects of treatment. It was evident that she genuinely cares for her patients and for the best possible outcome while also ensuring the mothers health along the way.
Describe the protocols Heather Hipp used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
During stimulation, I was on Menopur in the morning (150iu) and Gonal-F in the evening (300iu) everyday for 10 days. Days 5-10 I added Ganirelix (250mcg) midday. I had monitoring about 4 times during stimulation. On the 10th day I took the first of my two-part trigger shot, at 10pm and again at 10am. I triggered with Lupron to try and avoid OHSS. I was higher risk for OHSS due to a high AMH. I also took Cabergoline after retrieval to avoid OHSS as well as an antibiotic for about a week to avoid infection. I was unable to do a fresh embryo transfer so that my body could rest after stimulation. About a week later, I started Lupron (20 units) daily for about a month to suppress my ovaries. About 2.5 weeks after starting Lupron, I started Estradiol patches. Started with 1 patch every other day and progressively moved up to 4 patches every other day. About 2 weeks after starting patches, I started progesterone in oil (PIO) intramuscular shots in the evening and then also progesterone vaginal pills 3x daily. Six days after starting progesterone, I had my frozen embryo transfer. I am currently 7 weeks and 3 days. I am still on the PIO shots daily, progesterone vaginal pills 3x a day, and 4 Estradiol patches every other day. I will begin tapering off of my medications starting week 8 until week 12.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Ellen and then Mary)
I worked primarily with Ellen and then with Mary for the majority of my IVF cycle. Both were compassionate and quick to respond to any questions or concerns. I have spoken to other members of the nursing team during my treatment and all have been helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everyone I had contact with in the clinic worked quick and efficiently. They were quick to respond to calls and messages. I would tell a new patient not to hold too tight to the first schedule you receive as the cycle can be very unpredictable and the team has to change the approach and protocol as needed. I expected at my first ultrasound after confirmed positive beta to hear the heartbeat as I was 6 weeks 5 days. I had read that a lot of women at other clinics were able to hear heartbeat around the same time. However, my clinic said that they do not do sound for heartbeat until second trimester which was confusing to me. I was not aware that I would not hear it until that appointment. They did tell me what the heart rate was, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heather Hipp at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe Heather Hipp's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Due to my age and health, my doctor recommended transferring only one embryo to avoid multiples which can be hard on my health and potentially dangerous to the babies.
Atlanta

we were asked what our preferred learning style is (ie. hearing it, seeing it, doing it) and that information was utilized by Dr. Schirmer and every member of our treatment team to ensure that we understood each step of the process...When a treatment cycle seemed to not be going as planned, he met with us to "regroup"...continue with the current treatment plan or move to a more aggressive approach. We have felt valued and heard throughout this entire process.
Emory is a teaching hospital and they pride themselves on having a great working relationship with each patient, which is very evident in their approach. Each doctor makes you feel so at ease and understood...[nurse] made sure to stay in contact with me via Patient Portal as well as telephone calls and she answered any questions I had...provided us with a full itemized break-down of all of the costs...
How was your experience with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer has shown compassion throughout our entire fertility treatment journey. He has informed us of our odds, the clinic's success rates, and our personal success rates and he has gone above and beyond to make sure that we are comfortable with every step we have taken. He has been transparent about every procedure, cycle, step, and possible outcome and he has diligently worked to develop a treatment plan specific to our needs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Don't be afraid to ask questions! Dr. Schirmer is very open to answering every single question you have. I went into our IVF orientation with a LONG list of questions and he gladly took all the time needed to answer each and every question I had. I have never felt "rushed out of the door" or like he is "too busy to see us" because Dr. Schirmer goes out of his way to make sure we are fully informed and feel comfortable with each step.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Schirmer took as much time as needed to meet with us for any questions and concerns. He presented all of the information in a way that I could understand yet allowed me to have the final say in my treatment plan. During our initial consultation, as well as our IVF orientation, we were asked what our preferred learning style is (ie. hearing it, seeing it, doing it) and that information was utilized by Dr. Schirmer and every member of our treatment team to ensure that we understood each step of the process. Our transfer cycle is cancelled/postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but our treatment team has reached out to updated us throughout this process to make sure we are as much at ease as possible during this waiting time.
Describe the protocols David Austin Schirmer III used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Schirmer, like most Reproductive Endocrinologists, started with "conservative" treatments due to my age (26 years) and the length of time my husband and I had been trying to conceive at the time (1 year). During our initial consultation he reviewed possible treatment plans for us but ultimately let us decide what we wanted to do. As a team, we chose to do Timed Intercourse with Injectables which we did for several complete cycles before we decided to move to IVF. After every failed cycle, Dr. Schirmer met with us to discuss our next steps and what our desired treatment plan would be going forward. He never pressured us to move to a more aggressive (expensive) plan but laid out the facts and statistics of every fertility treatment (timed intercourse, IUI, IVF, etc.) and ultimately allowed us to have an open and honest conversation with us about our specific plan. When a treatment cycle seemed to not be going as planned, he met with us to "regroup" and figure out whether we wanted to continue with the current treatment plan or move to a more aggressive approach. We have felt valued and heard throughout this entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia Toote)
Tadzia was very compassionate and caring throughout each step of the process. She calmed me down on so many different occasions because going through infertility is something that is very stressful and often overwhelming. She made sure to stay in contact with me via Patient Portal as well as telephone calls and she answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I don't have a single negative thing to say about Emory Reproductive Center! Every single nurse, doctor on call, financial counselor, front desk personnel, and "medical fellow" has gone above and beyond to ensure that our experience has been outstanding. Emory is a teaching hospital and they pride themselves on having a great working relationship with each patient, which is very evident in their approach. Each doctor makes you feel so at ease and understood, which is SO important for someone struggling with infertility. I am connected to other women who are patients at Emory Reproductive Center and there is nothing but positive, glowing reviews.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Austin Schirmer III at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Before each treatment plan was initiated, Dr. Schirmer and an Emory Reproductive Center Financial Counselor sat down with us to review the costs associated with our care. They reviewed different payment methods, options, and third-party companies for financial packages (particularly for IVF) that were available to us. They provided us with a full itemized break-down of all of the costs that we would be responsible for in that chosen treatment plan and worked with us to make sure we could get the desired fertility treatment.
Describe David Austin Schirmer III's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Schirmer prefers an elective single embryo transfer but ultimately let me make the final decision. He laid out all of the facts and statistics and informed us of the increased risks to me and the babies, should we get pregnant with multiples. However, it was a discussion that we were able to talk through and voice our opinion and Dr. Schirmer let us make the ultimate decision about the number of embryos to transfer. Our clinic grades each embryo and transfers the best quality embryo first to increase the chance of a viable pregnancy. Due to conversation we had, the recommendation of Dr. Schirmer, and the results of my own research, we have chosen to transfer only one embryo and we are so happy that Dr. Schrimer heard our concerns and talked them through with us.
Atlanta

Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He made sure to cross the t's dot the i's. ... He ran all the fertility tests AMH, FSH, HSG, etc. He also did genetic testing to see if there were any genetic problems.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They [Emory University Repro Center] try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
Dr. Schirmer was very emphatic from day 1! He didn't push for a certain type of treatment just to generate revenue. He was very honest and methodical which is exactly what my husband and I wanted from our doctor. He always explained this with great detail. He was very through and made sure to cross the t's dot the i's.
Ask questions...even the silly ones. He takes his time and it's happy to answer them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Tadzia)
She answered my questions on the portal very quickly. She checked in on me during my miscarriage to make sure I was doing ok.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Making appointments are usually not too tough. They try to get you scheduled according to your schedule. I was able to talk to billing or nurses as needed. The response time is very quick. The billing can be a bit challenging to understand but you can talk to the department and get further explanations. You can also set up payment plans with accruing any interest.
I believe he recommends eSET.
Atlanta

I love Dr. Hipp! So compassionate and a great communicator. She walked me through each step of my treatment and was always there when I needed her. If she was not available she would make sure someone great was there to take care of me...Dr. Hipp told me if we had multiple embryos that she would only transfer one at a time especially sense we did genetic testing...
Nursing staff [at Emory University Reproductive Center] was great but I did have one nurse in the beginning of my treatment that did forget to call me to let me know my results and my next steps of treatment...The women that take your blood could be a little more friendly but I love the women that did all my ultrasounds. Clinic is nice and clean! The women in the front office are very nice...I did 3 egg retrieval’s. We got 10 eggs out. The last retrieval was the hardest. I had to be put on a extra injection a growth hormone. My follicles were not growing as we wanted. We were able to make one good normal embryo. It is frozen and waiting for transfer.
IVF Journey is hard! Be patient and don’t give up.
I felt like a human with Dr. Hipp not a number.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Nursing staff was great but I did have one nurse in the beginning of my treatment that did forget to call me to let me know my results and my next steps of treatment.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The women that take your blood could be a little more friendly but I love the women that did all my ultrasounds. Clinic is nice and clean! The women in the front office are very nice. I really like them a lot.
35.000
Dr. Hipp told me if we had multiple embryos that she would only transfer one at a time especially sense we did genetic testing. Which I was totally fine with.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.
One nurse forgot to call me with my results but other then that I love Emory!
Atlanta

Dr Schirmer is very good at explaining biological issues. However, he does not know all the in's and outs of financial repercussions or timing of ordering prescriptions, so there was a lot of non-communication between him and his support staff...always ask follow-up questions and what if scenarios. "What are my next steps? Who should I contact? What if my medication doesn't come in time? If I miss an appointment or am 15 minutes late, what should I do?"
There are multiple [Emory University Reproductive Center] nurses that will read your messages in the portal. The portal does not allow a "reply" feature, and their names are not found in the portal...My insurance covered my first round, but very little medication. $7k total after insurance...[clinic error]They didn't submit orders to the pharmacy multiple times in my case. Which led to scraping my treatment half way through 1 round, and also having to delay another round.
The care team uses online portals to communicate, and were extremely poor at doing so. There were multiple nurses reading my messages, and they wouldn't read previous conversation threads, so they'd ask similar questions or not answer my questions. And it took at least 24 hours to receive any form of response. I would call their after hours line frequently with questions, and they'd respond with "i'll enter your question into the portal". Due to this poor communication, I had 2 months of cancelled treatment because I couldn't get prescriptions sent in time or ordered correctly. Horrible.
There are multiple nurses that will read your messages in the portal. The portal does not allow a "reply" feature, and their names are not found in the portal. It is a nightmare. I've been to 2 other fertility places, and they both use better systems and communicate in a timely manner without shuffling cases.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The Clinic stinks. They forgot to take my payments, with-held treating me until the balance of my previous treatment was sorted out with my insurance, and they don't answer their phones. It feels like no one knows what they're doing because you can't reach them, or there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Kawwass is very blunt, but she does make you feel taken care of. I do feel a little bit like a number, and I wish that her care was a bit more holistic...[new patient advice] Be ready to take notes, come informed, and ask a lot of questions. She is very smart and blunt, but you can meet her with being informed yourself so that you are not learning the basics there with her and can dig into more important questions or things that are specific to you.
[Emory University Reproductive Center] Strengths are that they have lots of appointments and seem to always be able to accommodate my scheduling needs. Weaknesses are that I do not feel like I have had enough time or personal experience with my doctor...If we pursue IVF the cost will be at least $20,000 per needed cycle. If we do an IUI that will be only around $1,000.00
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass is very blunt, but she does make you feel taken care of. I do feel a little bit like a number, and I wish that her care was a bit more holistic. Sometimes I worry that she doesn't take into account our whole fertility picture, but it's hard to see considering we have not started treatment yet.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass is very blunt. She has been good so far, but I feel like her treatment could be more thorough. Overall I am happy with her care so far.
Some of the nurses are super nice and helpful, while others just made me feel like I was a piece of meat walking through the office. I wish that they would be a bit more personal.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
If we pursue IVF the cost will be at least $20,000 per needed cycle. If we do an IUI that will be only around $1,000.00. It seems expensive, but variable.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Once my husband was ordered to take a test and went to the location for the test, but the doctor/clinic had not actually called it in. This was an inconvenience for us as we had to physically return to the clinic and ask them to order the test for him, then physically return to the location for the test.
Atlanta

Dr Spencer is patient, kind, compassionate and just a loving professional. And full of knowledge. Absolutely love her. Her planned out course for me and concern for me gives me so much hope for this chapter of my life...She is so patient and even calls me to discuss my treatment. She answers all my questions even the silly ones...Trust her
EMORY RC is one of the best in Georgia with above average results. Their use of advanced technology and new innovative methods ensure successful outcomes for their patients. Their care team delivers excellent care to all families...They [the nurses] are absolutely amazing...My care is ongoing. My insurance covers most of my care.
How was your experience with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Trust her
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the protocols Jessica Spencer used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
My treatment is on going
They are absolutely amazing.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Spencer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
My care is ongoing. My insurance covers most of my care.
Jessica Spencer
Atlanta

She [Dr. Kawwass] always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all...After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant.
[The nurses at FCI were] Super responsive. I always got call backs and replies on the patient portal to my messages within 1-2 hours. It was really amazing to be treated so well!...Excellent clinic. Easy to get in for appointments quickly, and very quick turnaround times. The clinic staff all communicate really well and I always felt like I was in the best hands. The clinic location is great, new, clean and top notch...team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
Dr. Kawwass was incredible. She always took so much time to sit down with me and discuss all my treatment options, the evidence-base around these options, and took the time to make sure I had time to ask any questions at all. I never felt like she was rushed and needed to move on. She also really took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I appreciated. One thing I really valued about her was that she really knows the medical literature and studies really well, and for someone like me that really likes that evidence, she was an amazing doctor.
Write down your questions in advance - she will go through each one of them with you and it was always really helpful to have handy during my visits with her.
Dr. Kawwass and the team at Emory always took the time to get to know myself and my husband as individuals, not just as her patient, which I really appreciated.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Kawwass had a lot of great recommendations for me, and while many of them were minor "tweaks" in my care, it resulted in a positive outcome. After 2 clinical miscarriages (&lt;10 weeks) and 3 chemical pregnancies (&lt;6 weeks) I was at a loss of what to do. Dr. Kawwass ordered necessary tests and helped to explain to me my diagnoses of premature ovarian failure at age 35, as well as all the potential reasons for my miscarriages and what I could do. As a marathon runner, she cautioned me to run less (which seems obvious, but I had 4 different OBGYNs tell me that if I was running before pregnancy, I could continue to do so during pregnancy). She helped with treating subclinical hypothyroidism to get it under control, and she put me on progesterone at 3 DPO, which I think may have made a big difference for me. She also suggested trying Clomid prior to IVF with PGS testing first, as a less invasive method that may work to get pregnant. She also had recommendations for just two supplements that had shown some effectiveness (many others she said were a waste of money and did not work), so I took these two to help improve egg quality prior to the clomid cycle. The clomid worked in the first cycle! I am 12 weeks pregnant now. Dr. Kawwass was so amazing helping to calm my nerves, as I was able to come in for almost weekly ultrasounds when I was nervous about spotting or other concerns about having another miscarriage. Overall, all of these changes to my treatment have resulted in a pregnancy that I hope to carry to term.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
My insurance covered the majority of my treatment.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Dr. Kawwass is against multiple embryo transfer because of the severe complications and health risks that multiple embryos can cause both mother and babies. I agree with this policy after she explained it to me. Though having twins sounded amazing at first after struggling with fertility, given all the current worries I have just at 12 weeks and knowing how much MORE I would worry about all the health risks of multiples, I completely understand this viewpoint as it is founded in evidence-based and scientific research.
Atlanta

When the blood work came back and was shockingly disappointing Dr. Kawwass called me personally after hours to talk. She answered every question with sincere thoughtfulness...we were able to get pregnant through IVF with her care. Unfortunately our son was diagnosed with Down syndrome while in utero and was stillborn at 36 weeks. This tragic outcome was no way in relation to anything done through Dr. Kawwass. When she found out our son had died she contacted us personally to send her condolences. Her professionalism and compassion sets her far above any doctor I’ve ever seen.
The nurses [at Emory University Reproductive Center] were polite and never made me feel dumb for asking questions or being nervous. Even the ladies handling financing were extremely helpful and understanding... The bathrooms were clean, rooms and waiting areas. It was never crowded and I don’t think we ever had to wait for more than 10-15 minutes and that was a rare occurrence. The downside to the clinic was the parking deck. It is hard to find a spot sometimes so you end up parking on the roof because Emory’s Reproductive Clinic is part of the hospital.
Dr. Kawwass was compassionate and understanding. Our situation was very odd being that I am only 27 and have been diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. When the blood work came back and was shockingly disappointing Dr. Kawwass called me personally after hours to talk. She answered every question with sincere thoughtfulness. Even with the odds against us we were able to get pregnant through IVF with her care. Unfortunately our son was diagnosed with Down syndrome while in utero and was stillborn at 36 weeks. This tragic outcome was no way in relation to anything done through Dr. Kawwass. When she found out our son had died she contacted us personally to send her condolences. Her professionalism and compassion sets her far above any doctor I’ve ever seen.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions because she won’t rush you or make you feel silly. Nothing is too big or too insignificant to ask and she will be 100% honest with you.
When meeting with Dr. Kawwass she always knew our information before we were called back. She talked to my husband and I like we were friends she was giving professional advice to, she was not just reading off our paperwork in front of us.
We used a low dose of antagonists because of my low egg count. I took menopour, gonal-f or ganirelix, estrogen patches and clomid although I can’t remember in which order. After egg retrieval I was on progesterone injections for 10 weeks because the egg implanted and it helps to maintain the pregnancy. At the retrieval she got 3 eggs. I had 4 mature follicles so 4 was the maximum we expected so getting 3 was a positive for us. They were transferred at the cleavage stage - day 2/3 - and like I mentioned above, one took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Everyone I worked with while being treated at Emory was more than pleasant. The nurses were polite and never made me feel dumb for asking questions or being nervous. Even the ladies handling financing were extremely helpful and understanding.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was so clean. The bathrooms were clean, rooms and waiting areas. It was never crowded and I don’t think we ever had to wait for more than 10-15 minutes and that was a rare occurrence. The downside to the clinic was the parking deck. It is hard to find a spot sometimes so you end up parking on the roof because Emory’s Reproductive Clinic is part of the hospital.
Our cost was roughly between $20,000-$25,000 with retrieval, transfer and medication.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass is compassionate and enthusiastic. She makes the process seem routine and takes the scary out of it. She explains her diagnoses and treatments so that it can be easily understood and makes herself readily available to answer questions in a timely manner.... Dr. Kawwass is a firm believer in eSET for first timers without obvious fertility issues identified.
The clinic [Emory] is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!... I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Bring your positive attitude!
Dr. Kawwass is warm and detailed in her appointments. She is encouraging and explains everything in a way that is easy to understand. Her staff are quick to respond to communication. The only downside has been hold ups with the insurance coverage and starting treatment but since this is a newly covered service I imagine the process will improve in speed, efficiency, and know how very quickly!
The nursing staff and care coordinator are very responsive and knowledgeable. They work quickly to keep things moving and are compassionate and caring. They always follow through with requests.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is clean and calm. The staff are warm and inviting. I never felt like it was super busy and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. I felt like the staff truly cares about me and my family. Once you get established you feel like you are also a part of the clinic family!
All of the diagnostics for infertility were covered in full by my insurance. I was then fortunately notified by Dr. Kawwass the my IVF would be newly covered by my insurance if I could wait 3 months until the next calendar year when benefits were expanded to include IVF. With insurance coverage I paid a $1500 copay and then out of pocket for assisted hatching ($1700) for a total of $3200. My stimulation cycle medications cost an additional $500.
Atlanta

Dr. Hipp is amazing and so educated. She made sure to explain everything so we could understand it. If there were any set backs she made sure to call in addition to the nurses. She is just wonderful and I will definitely work with her again.... Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses.
The doctors are Emory’s strength. They are some of the best in the US. I would recommend staying on top of the financial office and make sure your insurance covers meds or you will regret that! Overall, we had impeccable care....Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds....We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage
Ask as many questions as you need. Even if you feel like you are bothering them.
Dr. Hipp is very sweet. She’s like family. Hurts when you hurt, Happy when things go your way.
Our infertility was due to low AMH and male factor. We did one cycle where we started with estrogen patches when ovulation occurred. When I got my period we did the baseline and started Gonal-f and Menupur at max doses. About 7 days in we did the Cetrotide to prevent ovulation. We did the trigger shot on day 11 if I recall and the retrieval 2 days later. We got 9 eggs, 6 were mature. In the end we had 2 make it. We did a fresh transfer with a 4AA blast which ended in a chemical. We still have one frozen that we will transfer in July.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Helen)
Helen was the one who called us with updates and told us what to do. She is very good at answering emails and calls you back the same day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Cost was about 15K for transfer and retrieval without meds.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
We weren’t told that it would save us money to get our prescriptions out of pocket and lost 95% of our coverage we had at the time to our prescription costs.

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect [to Dr. Kawass] on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time...If you're the type of person that just wants to be told what to do - she's incredible...
Emory is a teaching hospital. Be prepared to handle that. Everyone is wonderful but some are still learning and it makes for some interesting experiences. If you're not up for making room for that, this is not your clinic...sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening.
My surgical procedure was successful but the after care was not as aggressive as it could have been. Other procedures included hormones and other precautions to avoid the condition returning. Her communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time.
..."don't come back to me a year from now saying you're ready to try IVF"... it was a devastating appointment. Not to mention we received a call from the pharmacy to pick up shots we weren't ready to use before we even left the parking lot. We did choose to take things slow after surgery... and she may have been right on the money about our timing but it isn't just about what works on paper. Knowing now just how much IUI costs add up and contemplating IVF and what it may do to our savings, there was no way we could have afforded it then. It will be financial restrictions in the end that may keep us from building our family - which is unfair and unacceptable. That said, on that day I felt like I was in danger of ruining someone's success record instead of someone who came in ready to take part in my treatment.
Pills to bring on cycle Ultrasounds HSG and SHG Surgery to address unexplained adhesion Did not order hormone regimen or balloon cath Suggested 2 immediate rounds of IUI followed by IVF within 4 months post op
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Teaching environment often leaves a lot to be desired... the little things. And sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening. Another of the nurses told me there was "no response" because my activity didn't meet the standards on paper. This is the kind of news that can send you under a blanket for days!! You have to advocate for yourself EVERY step of the way here and that is difficult to navigate when treatments are new and the process is a mystery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Inconsistent results have been revealed. I had to insist that a note be placed in my chart that I don't care about what is "supposed" to be happening, I want to know what "is" happening and hear recommendations based on both parts of the equation. I am my own advocate and it is exhausting and somewhat scary to not really be led through the process. Some have far better bedside manner than other and that's fine. I just often feel I'm at square one every time I walk in.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Hipp] is always willing to support our choices - as long as there are still options on the table. I have never felt left out of the conversation or the decisions we have made in my treatment and surgical plans... is knowledgeable, confident, and compassionate...is willing to advocate for your care to fit you and your needs - all while competently addressing the issues at hand. She is willing to look under all the rocks for possible adjustments or procedures and is willing to allow your body to work hard in its own unique time.
I have missed critical pre-op appointments with my RE [at Emory University] that were never scheduled. I have had a balloon catheter placed without prior discussion. I have had medications I wasn't ready for called in on my behalf. I have been brought in for procedures in the past despite being in the wrong phase of my cycle for the test. I've had a nurse answer a personal call whilst an ultrasound wand was inside my vagina...is a teaching environment and not all of the nurses have the same approach to sharing treatment results.
Dr. Hipp was my personal choice having met with her for the various procedures that began my treatment. We immediately built a report. She is always willing to support our choices - as long as there are still options on the table. I have never felt left out of the conversation or the decisions we have made in my treatment and surgical plans. While still in the burgeoning years of her career, Dr. Hipp is knowledgeable, confident, and compassionate.
Dr. Hipp is willing to advocate for your care to fit you and your needs - all while competently addressing the issues at hand. She is willing to look under all the rocks for possible adjustments or procedures and is willing to allow your body to work hard in its own unique time.
Dr. Hipp is warm and friendly. She is realistic and gentle-of-spirit - even when the subject of conversation is not the news you'd like. At one point in my treatment, Dr. Hipp called me personally to share some troubling news and immediately went to work to have my tests reevaluated so that we had plenty of options and information to work with. She is so caring and hopeful for us, with us, and is always direct without being unkind.
We have worked hard for years combating unexplained scar tissue - pills, injections, tests, surgeries, balloon catheters - together we've thrown out the rule books and have made tremendous progress. We've had varying levels of hormones serve as roadblocks along the way and through Dr. Hipp's guidance, have corrected and been able to keep moving forward. And we haven't stopped yet - we finally got the last surgical procedure aligned with the right combination of injections, acupuncture, a proper cath... - and low and behold, my cycles even came back unassisted for the first time in years! Dr. Hipp's recommendations have been strategic and considerate of my unique circumstances. We will likely move forward with IVF in the coming weeks and I know that I am in good hands as we attempt this next phase.
ERC is a teaching environment and not all of the nurses have the same approach to sharing treatment results. As an example - follicles like mine respond very slowly - but they are responding. Some nurses see the slow response not match what is considered to be large enough to get excited about. Some tell you every detail. For me, I want and need to know that I have growth at xx size and at xx amount on each ovary - as opposed to being told there has been "no response" simply because the sizing hasn't reached the size that nurse has been trained to disclose. So, I've had to say - "Put it in my chart that I want to know every detail. You can't tell a 40-year-old woman there's 'no response' to 225 daily units of Follistim when what's really happening is 8 follicles measuring at 8s and 9s." For me, any progress is progress and I've been able to take the information and use it to determine if the cycle was still viable for IUI. So far, so good. The staff is open to making adjustments - but you have to advocate for yourself in this environment. Otherwise, the lessons tend to be more focused by-the-book.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
This clinic is a teaching environment and that is an environment I've had to make adjustments for. On occasion, I've had the ultrasound tech that is nervous or the nurse that answers her cell phone. There have been some surprises along the way. If you choose to seek treatment here, remember that it is okay to refuse to let 4 fellows in the room for your SHG or whatever heinous and scary test you may have to have run during your journey and take opportunities to share your constructive feedback. You are first and foremost!
My insurance covers a great deal of the costs. My deductible is $2700. In 2018, my IUI medications cost me $5300 out of pocket in addition to meeting my individual deductible.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I have missed critical pre-op appointments with my RE that were never scheduled. I have had a balloon catheter placed without prior discussion. I have had medications I wasn't ready for called in on my behalf. I have been brought in for procedures in the past despite being in the wrong phase of my cycle for the test. I've had a nurse answer a personal call whilst an ultrasound wand was inside my vagina. I've had a fellow perform an SHG and endured the replacement/adjustment of the speculum 6 times - SIX....times during the procedure. I had one of my catheters removed by a male fellow that I had never met before without prior consult. It's been an adventure.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass did not perform any of our procedures, but we were aware she was consulted throughout. Our meetings with her were thorough and encouraging. When we were worried, she would always appear just to comfort us...Know that as medical director she may not be available for the day to day, but she knows her stuff and is a great team leader to help you find the best course of treatment and hopefully positive results.
The physicians and nurses [at Emory University] were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated...It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.
Dr. Kawwass is warm and friendly and makes an intimidating process seem manageable. She always listened and responded to our concerns however we presented them and we felt like she truly wanted us to conceive.
IUI 1-3: Letrozole - Ovidrel trigger Then HSG test. IUI 4 added Menopur for thin lining. IVF: reciprocal with wife's eggs. Me: gestational parent: Birth Control for 4 weeks, daily Lupron shots, estrogen patches. 2CC Progesterone injections daily from retrieval through 9 weeks. Prometrium suppositories 3x day through 12 weeks. We didn't ask why this protocol, but I had very few side effects and we were willing to try anything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nancy )
Nancy oversaw our protocol, but with the amount of ultrasounds and blood draws much of our kudos go to Amy and the other ultrasound techs for being so kind and gentle and informative.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The physicians and nurses were amazing. We had some issues with the customer experience coordinator getting us information and communicating in a timely manner in regards to our insurance coverage and options. We also had to beg to pay and the bills are overly complicated.
Because there were two people invovled, and we have seperate insurance, my IVF protocol was covered outside my $1500 copay. My wife's insurance did not have fertility coverage but she was given a discount. All in for 6 IUI and 1 IVF we spent just over $20,000 including donor sperm.
We only had 2 make it to Day 5, only one was transferred.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Only with the billing and insurance coordination side. It would be helpful if they gave a medication estimate along with the "bottom line" number from insurance for IVF.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment....she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment.
Clinic [Emory] was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.... Nursing staff were always friendly and professional... Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature.
Dr. Kawwass was an amazing practitioner - she was a great communicator, empathetic, and a great scientist / up to date on the latest literature. I appreciate how she combined scientific rigor with her empathetic approach to treatment. Even though I didn’t see her at every visit I trusted her team and knew she was consulted on the decisions around my care.
Dr. Kawwass took the time to discuss my treatment plan and answer all of my questions. When I went back 2 years later to try for my second child, she greeted me like an old friend and remembered the details of my previous treatment. I always found her very empathetic and approachable and appreciated how she never ‘dumbed things down’ when talking about my treatment plan or answering questions.
We started with letrozole only cycles to stimulate ovulation with timed intercourse. At the time both my husband and I were traveling for work so it was difficult for timing intercourse so we eventually moved to stimulation plus IUI. When that didn’t work for a few months I started an IVF cycle with injectables but I wasn’t producing enough eggs so we switched to an IUI. I got pregnant with my daughter on that cycle. When I went back to the clinic 2 years later to start trying again we did a clomid+menopur cycle and IUI and I got pregnant in that first cycle.
Nursing staff were always friendly and professional
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Clinic was well-run with appointments on time, clean and comfortable waiting area, and great staff. Parking was sometimes frustrating - would definitely recommend coming early to find parking in the garage.
Costs were covered by insurance so only paid $40 co pay on some visits
N/a - did not do IVf
Atlanta

Be prepared that she [Dr. Jennifer Kawwass] is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures...I only did IUIs. But my regimen was clomid and then 1 day of injection of Gonadotropins And then the trigger shot (Ovidril). This is the regimen that we used 2x and that resulted in the pregnancy. But they key was banking sperm ahead of time. Which they didn’t tell us was an option until we were getting ready for the 3rd IUI. It was very frustrating. And I asked about it because I had read online it was a possibility.
Several [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to...I wish they had told us about sperm banking sooner, also I think each doctor should have their own nurse (or maybe 2 that each take 1/2 the week) that responds to calls and portal emails. I felt like the care was very disjointed and you felt like a number. But on an individual level, I liked our doctor and a couple of the nurses that really seemed to care and remember me.
Jennifer Kawwass is very kind and has good bedside manner. I felt like she genuinely cared if we were successful or not. Even when we switched doctors she wanted us to come back and see her when we started our family. What I didn’t like was that the continuity for care for me and my husband was always different. I never felt like outside of her office people really knew who I was. And it wa s always someone different responding to emails on the portal or providing the actual care.
Be prepared that she is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures.
Dr. Kawwass was wondeful. Kind thoughtful, but always truthful. I appreciated her honesty. What I didn’t like was that for the 4 IUIs over the course of more than a year, we only saw her 3 times, the initial consult, after our miscarriage (which had complications) and then ahead of our final IUI. We did talk on the phone twice. But every time I went Fir the IUI or the MVA after the miscarriage I saw a different doctor or fellow - and none were her. Also the patient portal I felt like there was inconsistency with the nurses responding. I recommend Dr. Kawwass personally, but overall was disappointed in the overall care and service at Emory.
Several were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
That you may not see your doctor for the actual procedures. And that you need to research things yourself ahead of time to ask questions and at times advocate for yourself. I really had to push for antibiotics when I felt like I was getting an infection as a result of a miscarriage that had left behind some tissue.
It was minimal since it was just IUI and I has good insurance. I did have to follow-up repeatedly to get cost info for IVF and it only happened when we went back and had our final consultation with Dr.Kawwass - so she had set it up. The point person never responded to my personal emails or voicemails, but I know she had some family issues at that time. So I understood to some extent, but someone should have been responding on her behalf.
NA this hasn’t happened yet and is with another doctor.
Atlanta

he [Dr. David Schirmer] was super approachable and took a lot of time to explain our options and how each option would work...we plan to use him again to transfer remaining embryos from our retrieval...He recommended single embryo as I was young (34)...I had 3 unsuccessful rounds of clomid assisted IUIs. Then shifted to IVF...I used menopur and gonal f. I had to be stimulated for 14 days then did the trigger prior to my retrieval
they [clinic of Emory University Reproductive Center] had early morning appointments and validated parking given how often I had to go...They pulled out 14 eggs, 12 fertilized and 5 remained after 5 days. I did genetic testing and 3 were genetically normal. I did a frozen transfer of 1 embryo...I was able to use insurance for some costs...We had to pay a certain amount prior to starting the cycle for IVF...he [Dr. Schirmer] was super approachable and took a lot of time to explain our options and how each option would work.
he was super approachable and took a lot of time to explain our options and how each option would work. He was also incredibly skilled based on our positive results. I would go to him again if given the option and we plan to use him again to transfer remaining embryos from our retrieval. We are very thankful for his excellent skill that resulted in our wonderful daughter
Be sure to ask lots of questions- he was excellent at reviewing our questions and giving advice without being prescriptive
He was super collaborative and Informative
I had 3 unsuccessful rounds of clomid assisted IUIs. Then shifted to IVF. I used estrogen patches for a few days before starting stimulation. I used menopur and gonal f. I had to be stimulated for 14 days then did the trigger prior to my retrieval. They pulled out 14 eggs, 12 fertilized and 5 remained after 5 days. I did genetic testing and 3 were genetically normal. I did a frozen transfer of 1 embryo resulting in a successful pregnancy and birth.
She was new so not as knowledgeable about what to expect and not precise with her works like the physicians were. Had I been less educated and informed, it would have been acceptable but since I had done so much research I think I asked harder questions.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic process was very standard and professional from the front desk to the doctors. I liked that they had early morning appointments and validated parking given how often I had to go. It was nice to be able to go before work.
I was able to use insurance for some costs but all costs were discussed up front with a financial person. We had to pay a certain amount prior to starting the cycle for IVF
He recommended single embryo as I was young (34). I agree with this approach.
Atlanta

Dr. Kawwass was very attentive and listened to all of our concerns. The office staff were also very warm and friendly both in person and on the phone...listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Everything was great [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Dr.Kawwass listened to all of our concerns at our first appointment. I advised her of the negative experience I had with my previous doctor's office and staff. She made me feel very comfortable and assured me that I would not be dealing with anything like that. She explained her plan for me in detail and answered all of our questions and wasted no time in getting started. She did not rush us and was very generous with her time.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. She was great at answering all of our questions and addressing our concerns.
Antagonist IVF treatment. BCP on 1st day of Menses. Baseline. labs and ultrasounds. Start Stims after period starts again. Egg retrieval. Fresh Transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Sushila)
The nursing staff were great. Sushila was my main Nurse. She would always respond to me promptly through the patient portal or would call me. If she was not in office that say Nancy or someone else would respond to my inquiries right away. She went above and beyond to communicate with the office I was using for satellite monitoring as I am in Nashville and they are in Atlanta.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was great. The only part of the process that was somewhat frustrating was being able to contact the financial office and being able to get answers quickly. They were working with my insurance , so understandably it can take some time to respond. In the midst of going through such a big thing in life, prompt responses are helpful esp when it has to do with financing the cycle.
Our insurance covered IVF. We did have to pay out of pocket for ICSI ,our out of pocket amounts and the patient amount for the medications
Single Embryo transfer was recommended as I was 29 yrs old at the time with no health issues.
2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr Kawwass remembers a lot about me, my job, my husband’s job, where we live. She looks me in the eyes when we speak instead of the computer and is doing everything in her power to get me pregnant. She seems to genuinely care about her patients... Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
Emory hospital is amazing, when I had my surgery to remove my hydrosalpinx, the nursing staff was outstanding and caring. I love the doctors there, even the fellows. they recently renovated the office and it looks great.
In 2017 I did three cycles of IVF. One fresh and two frozen. After none resulted in a pregnancy, I knew I needed a break. Two years came and went and when I returned to the clinic she remembered everything about me and my husband.
Dr Kawwass will do anything in her power to help you get the baby you have always wanted.
Egg retrieval from only one ovary because I lost on to a dermoid cyst. Three cycles, one fresh with one embryo because I was young and healthy. Two frozen cycles with two embryos because I requested. This most recent cycle we re did all of the bloodwork and diagnostic tests. My HSG showed blocked tube resulting in a diagnosis of hydrosalpinx. This was removed and we will start a frozen cycle in one month
Michelle was my nurse in 2017 and she was wonderful. Always responded to questions quickly. Most recent staff is not as quick but they are sweet and helpful
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The costs included the monitoring-bloodwork and ultrasounds, all the medications. The frozen transfers included only the transfers
Dr Kawwass is against multiple embryos at one time but placed two when asked.
2017 - 2019, Successful
The retrieval round [with Dr. Kawwass] was quite successful, thankfully, and we then did both PGS and PGD genetic testing, on account of a recessive genetic condition that both of us carry. Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer...She took the time to get to know us personally as well as our outlook on starting a family...is simultaneously an expert professional and a warm and empathetic human being. She takes time to get to know you and your situation and clearly presents all the relevant data and logistical information. She will give you as much detail and nuance as you indicate that you would like to here. Her only downside is can be hard to get a first appointment with her because she is very popular on account of the strengths related above!
They [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] are fantastic. They work together very well and, like Dr. Kawwass, are both very professional and very warm...Navigating insurance coverage, pharmacy benefits, genetic testing, and finances was the most difficult part of the retrieval stage. Dr. Kawwass and the nurses were as helpful as they could be, and I think they now have a "patient experience" coordinator to help patients jump through all of these logistical hurdles...Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer.
Dr. Kawwass is simultaneously an expert professional and a warm and empathetic human being. She takes time to get to know you and your situation and clearly presents all the relevant data and logistical information. She will give you as much detail and nuance as you indicate that you would like to here. Her only downside is can be hard to get a first appointment with her because she is very popular on account of the strengths related above!
Make an appointment with her as soon as you think you are interested in pursuing fertility treatment, in case the appointment has to be a couple of months off.
We had a case of "unexplained infertility," and she recommended that we try up to three rounds of IUIs. Though she thought IUI stood a good chance of working for us, she gave us at our first consult the outlook for IVF working at various ages so that we could factor that into our decision-making. After three IUIs didn't work, we got more information about the financing and logistics of IVF. We made some minor changes in the IUI protocols, but I don't remember the details. Since I couldn't make the many required visits to the clinic until the summer, we did two more rounds of IUIs and planned to start IVF late May if need be. The IUIs did not work for us, so we started preparing for a retrieval round in early summer 2018. Navigating insurance coverage, pharmacy benefits, genetic testing, and finances was the most difficult part of the retrieval stage. Dr. Kawwass and the nurses were as helpful as they could be, and I think they now have a "patient experience" coordinator to help patients jump through all of these logistical hurdles. (JFF also provides some counseling on this now, I think.) The retrieval round was quite successful, thankfully, and we then did both PGS and PGD genetic testing, on account of a recessive genetic condition that both of us carry. Dr. Kawwass had us meet with a genetic counselor at Emory and worked closely with us on planning for the right timing of the transfer. In the fall, we did a frozen transfer of one of our "good" embryos, and thankfully, the embryo implanted and I had a healthy pregnancy, leading to the birth of a healthy baby 10 months later! We thankfully have additional frozen embryos and hope to work with Dr. Kawwass and her team again.
They are fantastic. They work together very well and, like Dr. Kawwass, are both very professional and very warm.
Dr. Kawwass explained that, after embryos have "passed" PGS genetic testing, it would be irresponsible to implant more than one, as the chances of one healthy embryo implanting in a healthy uterus are very good.
Jennifer Kawwass

Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her... My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses...I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses [at Emory University Reproductive Center]. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer...Helen [nurse] was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things...The clinic is really nice and clean. Labs and US are efficient and fast. The front desk staff are great. Getting appointments are easy. We have had some issues with Emory charging us extra (that was fixed) but then also still waiting for them to refund us for services we didnt do.
As stated before, Dr Hipp is very kind and passionate. She knows all her patients well and communicates well. The number of 5 day old embryos we ended up with were not what we envisioned (only 1) but it was transferred and we are pregnant. We liked Dr Hipp and would recommend her.
Ask as many questions as you can. They will be answered.
I never felt like a number. My questions were always answered quickly. Dr Hipp is very caring and passionate. She would even check in on me during her days off (Easter)
I was initially delayed a couple of weeks because they found a cyst and my period didnt start. My egg retreival meds were standard dosing at first but towards the end I was on max doses. They were able to retrieve 11eggs, 7 were fertilized but only one made it to day 5 for transfer. I think if we did it again Dr Hipp said she would change the protocol
Helen was nice but not the best communicator and not great at explaining things.
$17,000 to $20,000 including medications
Atlanta

He [Dr. Toner] was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance...He recommended not doing pgs since I only had 1 embryo. Cost was important to me and I'd rather give it a try than send off for testing. He was willing to transfer note than 1 if I had more...Do your research and come prepared with questions. He will take the time to answer them but you need to narrow down what you want to discuss.
I found it [Emory University Reproductive Center] to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
How was your experience with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
He was very open and honest. I know my chances are low due to age, but he is willing to try different things to give me the best chance. I feel very comfortable in his care. It is clear he knows what he is doing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center?
I had good discussions on my care. He listened and discussed research and the reasons why he was selecting aspects of my care.
Describe the protocols Jim Toner used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I used follistim 300 and menopur 150 daily for 11 days. Triggered with pregnyl 10,000 hcg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle was amazing! She was great at communicating and I felt like she was in my corner! This was my first experience with ivf and she made it very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
I found it to be very organized and everyone was very friendly. I never had to wait long for any of my appointments. The front desk people were on top of things and knew the patients...making you feel like an individual not just a number. The finance group was very helpful in getting insurance clearance and making sure everything was all set for my procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I think a cycle was around $15k.
Describe Jim Toner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Jim Toner
Atlanta

Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system.... Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times.... I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
Everything [Emory U] was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny....We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel.
Our experience with Dr. Kawwass was nothing less than grandiose, magnificent, and terrific. My husband and I were treated with loving care. We never felt like a number within the system. Claudia always greeted us with a smile even at 7:00 AM in the mornings. The patient ladies who drew my blood were amazing, and I am a difficult stick. The nurse, Michelle, she was a pure angel. Dr. Kawwass was always smiling and hugged me each time that she saw me. She even took the time to call me herself at times. Yes, that is right she would call as well to check on me. The only issue that is experiencing is that now that we are pregnant and had to graduate someone else it is difficult to find another doctor and staff to live up to ERC’s standards. 😊 This place really set the bar high. On the day of graduation, I think I saw Dr. Kawwass tear up lol but do not tell her that I said that. IVF SUCCESS on the first try Amazing Staff Four months pregnant
If you haven't tried ERC you must give them a try.
IVF Injections/Patches SUCCESS on the first try Four months pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Emory University Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Michelle)
Nurse Michelle was incredibly charismatic. She was such a joy to be around. When I was worried, she helped to put my mind at ease. She loves leopard too.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Everything was so organized and squeaky clean. There was never an issue with getting an appointment. My husband and I paid out of pocket for IVF. It was worth every penny. They didn't behave like cash cows and was after people's money. It was evident that they wanted success for others and their families. They understood due to the high stakes and the emotions that come along with trying to conceive. They never got upset when I had so many questions. Boy did I have questions, and they were right there.
Roughly $40,000.
Atlanta

As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. ... Take her bluntness with a grain of salt because she is only giving realistic expectations instead of painting an unobtainable picture for you. She tells you what you need to hear, not what you necessarily want to hear. ...
It’s [Emory University Repro Center] very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply. ... They [nurses] were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
I had a very positive experience with Dr. Spencer. As a current student I came prepared with millions of questions spanning from the whole process, what my journey would be like, and how important finances are. She answered all questions to the best of her ability and made sure I understood her. She took all of my client specific concerns and addressed them realistically. I left fully understanding what my next steps needed to be.
As a young terrified student with diminished ovarian reserve, I had millions of questions. Questions spanning to what my journey was going to be, and just a student how MUCH was this journey going to be. Dr. Spencer made sure to answer all of questions to her fullest ability and ensured I understood her fully. She took all person specific details of my life and gave me realistic answers. I appreciated the client-centered approach she took to make me feel like a human.
AMH testing and maintaining a close watch over me.
They were very nice and gave information about paperwork. Otherwise I did not spend much time with them.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
It’s very clean, quiet, and all employees are very responsive and kind. They are very organized with all their paperwork and people’s roles. However, I have a question about billing and I am still waiting on a reply.
Without insurance, freezing eggs is $10,000. Freezing embryos is $20,000.
Describe Jessica Spencer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Jessica Spencer
2019, Consult
So far I have only had one appointment with Dr Schirmer and he was very thorough. He explained each test and procedure he would like done and explains WHY and WHAT it would tell us. He also described a possible plan of action based on various possible results. He did say he ultimately felt like a more aggressive approach would be recommended in my case but at the end of the day we could do whatever I am comfortable with. I believe many others may consider him to be a fast talker however...
The clinic [Emory] was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached...Meeting with Tadzia after our consult gave us a chance to further discuss the testing that was needed and ask any other questions we may have had. She was very thorough and kind.
If you already have documents bring everything you have. Bring up anything that has happened in the past even if you believe it to not be related. Bring something to take notes.
Dr Schirmer spent a great deal of time going over my records and history with me. He even stopped and asked questions or stopped to explain his thoughts about the information being given. He answered questions my husband had without hesitation.
We are not yet at that phase. However he did recommend we do IVF based on a serious infection I previously had an the damage it did to one tube. He believes that with endo and that infection the chances that my remaining tube is functional is slim.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic was very organized. I appreciated getting a buzzer that let me know I was being called back instead of my name being yelled across a lobby. The staff at the front desk was kind and greeted me as I approached.
I am currently self pay and a consult is around $450.