Genetic counseling: Offered
8435 Clearvista Place
Indianapolis, IN 46256
5128 E. Stop 11 Road
Indianapolis, IN 46237
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Family Beginnings to a friend?

2 doctors
2017 - 2019
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
They only have two doctors and a couple of nurses [at Family Beginnings], so sometimes they get behind and overwhelmed. Their prices are less because of them being a privately owned small clinic. They don't make you pay for all the extras that are available if they truly don't think they are needed. Other clinics I consulted at wanted you to pay for everything you possibly could, and they wouldn't start a thing before you paid them in full.
2017 - 2019
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Smaller clinic. They aren't in it for the paycheck and money. They only have two doctors and a couple of nurses, so sometimes they get behind and overwhelmed. Their prices are less because of them being a privately owned small clinic. They don't make you pay for all the extras that are available if they truly don't think they are needed. Other clinics I consulted at wanted you to pay for everything you possibly could, and they wouldn't start a thing before you paid them in full.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Leo Bonaventura at Family Beginnings?
He spends ample amounts of time with me, answers all questions appropriately, but doesn't make me feel like just another patient. He keeps me at ease and knows how to sway me from becoming very upset with negative news.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Family Beginnings. (Assigned nurse: Kim )
Kim is kind of difficult to take at some times. She is very busy and seems unorganized. She does need help in the office with how busy they have become. She is very knowledgable with ultrasound and lab draws, as well as explaining medications and visits. She is very compassionate once you get to know her better.
How was your experience with Leo Bonaventura at Family Beginnings?
He shows compassion. He lights a candle for every single embryo transfer he does each day. He will take his time to explain everything to you. He includes other doctors in your case if there is something that he wants more hindsight on. He knows how to make your anxiety lessened and knows how to keep you from getting more upset if the conversation starts to go down that road. He has been there to see my ultrasounds on the weekends when most doctors wouldn't be around. He gave me his personal cell number so that I could get ahold of him with any complications or concerns post retrieval. He is very thorough in what he feels is best for you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Leo Bonaventura at Family Beginnings?
He isn't money hungry like a lot of fertility clinics. He's there to get you pregnant and do whats best for the patient, you aren't just a number in the office, or his bank account.
Describe the protocols Leo Bonaventura used in your cycles at Family Beginnings and their degree of success.
I've done numerous cycles with him. Retrievals always use Gonal-F 150am/75pm, and 50 of menopur. Ovidrel for trigger shots, either 1 or 2. And Cetrotide if needed. Progesterone suppositories as well as PIO injections. Mini asprin. Estrace. Close monitoring by ultrasound and labs.
Describe Leo Bonaventura's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Family Beginnings.
He will not transfer more than 2 embryos due to having a past positive cycle with transferring 3 and getting triplets. He doesn't want to put the mother or children at risk.
Indianapolis South

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Leo Bonaventura at Family Beginnings.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
It is a very small clinic [Family Beginnings] - I see this as a plus. The entire staff is available at all times. I have the dr cell phone number and can use it any time that I need it. After having several losses, it is nice to know that when I am going through this process they are there to not on physically support me to but be there emotionally.... Everyone takes their time with the patients. I never left with a questions. If I had a question that I thought of on the way home they were only a phone call away.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
It is a very small clinic - I see this as a plus. The entire staff is available at all times. I have the dr cell phone number and can use it any time that I need it. After having several losses, it is nice to know that when I am going through this process they are there to not on physically support me to but be there emotionally.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
The doctor met with me to discuss my fertility treatment plan. I am Catholic, so my faith plays a big role in how we proceed. He modified my treatment to match my religious desires while also maximizing our chances for a healthy pregnancy. He also told me all of our options. He didn't push us to go straight to IVF unless we wanted to. He let me be active in the decision making process while educating me along the way.
Everyone takes their time with the patients. I never left with a questions. If I had a question that I thought of on the way home they were only a phone call away. They always answered all of my questions and then gave me explanations. No test was performed or anything done without me knowing the reason why it was necessary.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Dr. Donahue was amazing. He gives his patients his personal cell number so that he is available for questions or concerns if they arise. He does not rush through a visit just to get someone else in the door. Very rarely do you get a voicemail with this practice - I have already talked to a human when I call. On the rare chance I have had to leave a VM they call you back right away. I feel like a person there and that the truly care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Their office is not the typical fancy fertility clinic that you would expect. This keeps their prices lower and allows them to focus on the patient.
Describe the protocols James Donahue used in your cycles at Family Beginnings and their degree of success.
I am getting ready to start IVF. I experienced a miscarriage the month that we were supposed to start trying. I am waiting on his instructions on how we are going to update my protocol based upon blood work and results from my miscarriage.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Donahue at Family Beginnings.
The initial visit (without insurance was about $200). I am still going through the process of IVF so I can't comment fully on the price.
Describe James Donahue's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Family Beginnings.
I feel that the entire team has educated me on the risks of transferring one or two with or without testing. They have made it very clear on the risks and why some risks were worth taking and why some weren't. It is one thing to know the risk it is another to know why.
Indianapolis North

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings.

The nurses [Family Beginnings] were very sweet, even when they had to come in on July 4th for an IUI. They never made me feel like a number and were just very sweet.... Strengths - extremely small and only one doctor so everyone is aware of your care and in the loop. I felt like I never had to explain what was going on to anyone! Weaknesses - more so for my husband - there is no deposit room so he had to make his deposit at home and transfer it which can be stressful (keeping it the right temperature, getting there in time, etc.)
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Dr. Donahue did my IUIs himself and was easily accessible if I had questions or concerns. I felt like he was very involved in my care.
The nurses were very sweet, even when they had to come in on July 4th for an IUI. They never made me feel like a number and were just very sweet. I had an IUI that was more painful for whatever reason and the nurse (while remaining professional) was also very nurturing and compassionate. I felt like my mom was in the room with me she was so caring.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Dr. Donahue was great! He took whatever time necessary to put my mind at ease regarding the process and was extremely focused on the end goal of getting pregnant. He was definitely more aggressive than a previous dr. in regards to risking multiples as long as I was okay with that.
To ask for him to do your IUIs. He indicated that nurses typically did them, but when I told him that was a concern of mine he was happy to do them...even on July 4th!
Dr. James was comfortable giving me higher doses of drugs to produce more follicles/eggs due to the fact that IUI had not been successful in the past. He felt that the likelihood of multiples was slim in my case (although he made it clear, they were possible) He also added progesterone to my treatment to help which my previous doctor had not done.
Our IUIs with Dr. Donahue were a little cheaper I believe. Around $800 (not including medicine)

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
The South office [Family Beginnings] isn't open on Fridays, making for longer travel if my cycle day requires a Friday appointment. My first experience at North office made me not want to go back (u/s tech?). I did go back and it was much better, didn't see the person who ruined my first experience. Sometimes a long wait at both offices, so having early appointment is best...Mini IVF now offered and very reasonable.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
The South office isn't open on Fridays, making for longer travel if my cycle day requires a Friday appointment. My first experience at North office made me not want to go back (u/s tech?). I did go back and it was much better, didn't see the person who ruined my first experience. Sometimes a long wait at both offices, so having early appointment is best.
He listens to you wants/needs and is very respectful. He truly wants to help you be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Family Beginnings. (Assigned nurse: Gia)
Gia is great. She can run the whole office herself. Always available to talk, explains everything in great depth. Husband loves the way she explains the ultrasounds and whole process.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
He is very open, always available for questions, compassionate and soothing. He doesn't hesitate to bring up other treatment options and make sure you understand everything. He will call you personally when something isn't going as planned to check up on you. He involves everyone that is present at each appointment. Very knowledgeable.
Come with questions and be ready for great answers!
Femara, gonal f 50, hcg, iui, progesterone. 1 mature follicle, neg pregnancy test Next increased gonal f to 75 2 mature follicles, chemical preg Next cycle was miscarriage 3months off. Currently increasing gonal f to 150.
Reasonable compared to others I have seen. Mini IVF now offered and very reasonable.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
They [Family Beginnings] aren’t persistent/lenient when it comes to scans. First time they let me go later in the day when they told me they only do mornings because I work every morning, second time I was told I had to come in the morning or just wait for next cycle. Which I thought was ridiculous since I’m paying so much to them for help.... From what I’ve seen of them they seem very nice. First time I came in for a scan, the lady had no clue I was there for one and told me to call back on cd 12, I had to correct her and tell her it was day 12.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
They aren’t persistent/lenient when it comes to scans. First time they let me go later in the day when they told me they only do mornings because I work every morning, second time I was told I had to come in the morning or just wait for next cycle. Which I thought was ridiculous since I’m paying so much to them for help.
Although I do usually feel somewhat rushed, they make sure to answer all my questions and explain things I don’t understand.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
I’ve been going for the past four or five months, twice a month the past three months and I’ve only seen the actual Dr. twice. Every other time was the scan lady, she would leave to go talk to him then come back and relay what she was told.
Don’t expect to see him every visit.
I was put on letrozole since Clomid prescribes by another dr was no longer working. After the first month, I didn’t get any viable eggs so I was told I couldn’t do trigger shot. Second time I was put on birth control because I had a huge cyst.
Prices weren’t persistent. Insurance doesn’t cover anything. Just regular appointments were around $110 each time, with first scan it was $180 but second scan was for some reason $305, wasn’t expecting that one.
Indianapolis South
They [Family Beginnings] are financially feasible. They aren't great with communication and they have way too many patients for them to handle at times. They don't treat you like you are their only patient...They [nurses] are super busy. They are not able to Fully explain things and leave lots of room To potentially make mistakes. I had to call daily to ask questions that were never talked about. They rush off the phone and don't call when they say they will. I never had an email for them or even personal numbers. I had to call for my results for my blood work myself.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
They are financially feasible. They aren't great with communication and they have way too many patients for them to handle at times. They don't treat you like you are their only patient- so know yourself and get as educated as possible on what to expect through the process.
The clinic wants to get you in fast. You barely see the doctors unless it's an important procedure (transfer, retrieval). They get you in and out as quick as possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Family Beginnings. (Assigned nurse: Kim and Gia)
They are super busy. They are not able to Fully explain things and leave lots of room To potentially make mistakes. I had to call daily to ask questions that were never talked about. They rush off the phone and don't call when they say they will. I never had an email for them or even personal numbers. I had to call for my results for my blood work myself.
What specific things went wrong at Family Beginnings?
How was your experience with Leo Bonaventura at Family Beginnings?
He was very nice and loves to talk. He will answer all of your questions. He is knowledgeable about invocell and and medical knowledge that comes with fertility treatments. He is not great at communication outside of the office. I was sick and it took him a day to even respond to my message.
Stay on top of everything. Ask questions. Expect to not see him much.
Letrozole and ovidrel. Gonal f for stims. PIO injections and progesterone suppositories. Birth control before month of stims.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Leo Bonaventura at Family Beginnings.
$8,000 for invocell and meds. All out of Pocket. My insurance covered nothing here.
He suggests only two. Is okay to place only one if that is your choice.
Indianapolis North

The clinic [Family Beginnings] is good clean and professional you are greeted with a warm smile. Sometimes you do have to wait but that should be expected with any doctors office. Their nurses are friendly and supportive and willing to take the time to explain everything to you... I did invocell the procedure cost 4500, meds were 1200, plus the other Dr apts it came out to be 8000 for everything... Kim is great maybe over loaded at times but she is good at what she does
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
The clinic is good clean and professional you are greeted with a warm smile. Sometimes you do have to wait but that should be expected with any doctors office. Their nurses are friendly and supportive and willing to take the time to explain everything to you
They were always warm welcoming explained everything to you made sure you understood everything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Family Beginnings. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim is great maybe over loaded at times but she is good at what she does
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Dr D is a great guy he cares about his patients, he explains everything to you with video pictures and literature. He wants to make sure you fully understand everything. When I got a failed cycle he called me and emailed me so we xould talk about what we should do next and he was sorry it didn't work.
Make sure to write everything down
My protocol was low dose hormones I produced 12 eggs they retrieved 9 and 6 fertilized they put 6 in the device and 3 made it out they transferred all 3 I received a positive test at 9 days past transfer but shortly after started bleeding he did recommend doing a frozen cycle with the next cycle. We currently can't afford to try a second round at this time.
Dr D goes with how you embryos look, with mine they were 3 of them and he choose to transfer all three in hopes one would take he only prefers to transfer no more than 2

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
[Nurse at Family Beginnings] Very friendly, available, open to any questions, supportive... About $2000/per IUI cycle with meds...Strengths: communication to patient, availability, quickness of appointments, all employees are supportive, many treatment options available, including InvoCELL, response time to phone calls/voicemails Weakness: communication between north and south office
Other, Prefer not to answer
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Dr. Donahue is a very nice, down to earth doctor. He explains everything to you, so it's easy to understand. Makes sure he answers any questions.
Gia is just like Dr. Donahue. Very friendly, available, open to any questions, supportive
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Dr. Donahue is very open and will answer any and all questions. He explains risks, discusses options and has always been very friendly and available. He got us in immediately both times we experienced problems/miscarriage.
Come with questions and expect answers! Be ready to explore options.
1. 5mg femara cd3-5. 50iu gonal f cd5-9, ovidrel, IUI, 200mg progesterone suppositories 2. 5mg femara cd3-5. 75iu gonal f cd5-9, ovidrel, IUI, 200mg progesterone suppositories 3. 5mg femara cd3-5. 150iu gonal f. cd5-7, 75 IU gonal f cd8-9, ovidrel, IUI, 200mg progesterone suppositories
No insurance coverage for fertility services. About $2000/per IUI cycle with meds.
Indianapolis North

Everyone there [Family Beginnings] was so kind and warm, it was really great! They focused on you individually and weren’t distracted. They were very informative and answered all of our questions thoroughly and not rushed.... He [Dr. Will] discussed with us the new invocell process and mapped out what an ivf calendar and process will look like. He also showed us what other elective tests he does in order to have a higher success rate for a healthy baby.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Everyone there was so kind and warm, it was really great! They focused on you individually and weren’t distracted. They were very informative and answered all of our questions thoroughly and not rushed.
He was very personable and easy to talk to. He showed us videos of procedures also.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Family Beginnings. (Assigned nurse: Sherrie Eoff )
She was so nice and caring and supportive. She made the visit calming for us.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
He was very informative with details and videos and scientific results. He answered all of our questions thoroughly. He was very down to earth and sensitive to our situation. It felt like he actually cared about us rather than us being a number in his clinic.
Ask him lots of questions
He discussed with us the new invocell process and mapped out what an ivf calendar and process will look like. He also showed us what other elective tests he does in order to have a higher success rate for a healthy baby.
So far it was for a consultation and some blood work for me.
None

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
This clinic [Family Beginnings- Indianapolis North] really cares about it’s patients. One weakness is you need to be very organized and informed about your treatment because they are a very busy clinic and some things can fall through the cracks.... With our IUI cycle he used an ovulation suppressant bc is ovulated prematurely before with other doctors. Otherwise, treatment was kept the same.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
This clinic really cares about it’s patients. One weakness is you need to be very organized and informed about your treatment because they are a very busy clinic and some things can fall through the cracks.
He took into consideration our specific history and hurdles in recommending treatment.
Kim was super compassionate and had a heart for her patient’s success.
What specific things went wrong at Family Beginnings?
How was your experience with Leo Bonaventura at Family Beginnings?
Dr Boneventira was very compassionate and he believe do strongly in his treatment plans. I do feel like sometimes he used terms not everyone would understand regarding treatments and infertility. I only understood him because I’ve gone through treatment for so long.
Go in with questions and take good notes.
I don’t remember exact costs but it was less than prior treatment with other doctors.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Nurses [at Family Beginnings] were kind and took time. They emphasized that I should call them if I had any questions at all and not worry if I was bothering them.... Fair price, great doctors, great nurses. The staff is kind and compassionate. Patients should ask a lot of questions, just as general rule of practice with any doctor. They give you great protocol information and pricing sheets.
Latino, Other
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
The doctor is very down to earth and takes time with patients.
Nurses were kind and took time. They emphasized that I should call them if I had any questions at all and not worry if I was bothering them.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
Dr. Donahue is thoughtful and takes time for patients. He makes himself available for questions and explains everything. He offers his email address and home phone number for emergencies, too. He is friendly when dealing with me and my husband.
Write down questions prior to appointments and call if you think of anything later.
We began small, with medicated cycles, then IUI. When I had pelvic pain the Dr. was very responsive and we discovered my endometriosis. Now we are doing a cycle with InvoCell.
10 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Immunological
they [Family Beginnings] have their own lab so that is very convenient and they have offices on both sides of time which makes it easier for getting to appointments . they are able to get you in to see the doctor fairly quickly... the nurse isn't the greatest and can come across very short sometimes but she gets things done... we used both Lupron protocols and neither one worked for us. he was open to trying a go aggressive approach after I did another round with a Dr out of state and had better success
10 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Immunological
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
they have their own lab so that is very convenient and they have offices on both sides of time which makes it easier for getting to appointments . they are able to get you in to see the doctor fairly quickly
He spent a lot of time going over things with us making sure we understood everything since this was our first round of IVF.
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
He will spend as long as needed with you to make sure you understand everything and don't have any questions. He called personally after our IVF cycle to let us know that our egg didn't fertilize. He was willing to try different protocols to find something that would work
go in with questions and he will make sure they are all answered
they are in line with other providers in the area
Indianapolis South

The waiting room [at Family Beginnings- Indianapolis North] was nice and very welcoming. While waiting, I never once felt awkward. The clinic as a whole was well organized and everyone worked as a team! They were a great team and that's important in treatment I feel!... The minute you walk through the door, you just feel warm and welcomed. Dr. Donahue explained in great detail the process, the pros, the cons. He made me feel comfortable and I wasn't treated just a number. He answered any questions I had and listened to every concern.
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
The waiting room was nice and very welcoming. While waiting, I never once felt awkward. The clinic as a whole was well organized and everyone worked as a team! They were a great team and that's important in treatment I feel!
He made sure I understood everything that was said about treatment. He was down to earth and just made you feel welcomed and like you were in good hands!
They were excellent!
How was your experience with James Donahue at Family Beginnings?
He's a great doctor and ibwould say that they're in good hands!
The grand total was around the $10,000 mark. I can't specify exactly what cost what.

2006 - 2012
Kind, compassionate, but like most clinics they [Family Beginnings] are very busy. However, we were never treated like a number, always treated like humans going through an emotional process. Would highly recommend Family Beginnings practice.... Dr. Donahue is knowledgeable and passionate about his work! He took time to explain the details to us. I remember our first consultation and we were there for such a long time while he explained the entire process to us.
2006 - 2012
Describe your experience with Family Beginnings.
Kind, compassionate, but like most clinics they are very busy. However, we were never treated like a number, always treated like humans going through an emotional process. Would highly recommend Family Beginnings practice.
Very personal and caring