Fertility Center of Maryland

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Bel Air
2014 S. Tollgate Rd
Bel Air, MD 21015
410-296-6400
110 West Road Suite
Towson, MD 21204
410-296-6400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Center of Maryland to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 6Don't recommend: 28.6
2 doctors
The staff [Fert Center of MD] was helpful, learned my name quickly, and generally accommodated me efficiently. I never had to wait longer than would be reasonable. The patient has to call in every day for a results at a specific time, which was not problematic for me...I thought the nurses were good. They were easy to get in touch with and provided me all information I asked about....Overall, I was able to be seen within a few minutes of arriving.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
The staff was helpful, learned my name quickly, and generally accommodated me efficiently. I never had to wait longer than would be reasonable. The patient has to call in every day for a results at a specific time, which was not problematic for me but perhaps could be if that time interfered with a work meeting or something like that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
She spent as much time as we needed during the initial consultation, post-IVF phone call, and visit, to answer all of our questions. She was direct and honest, and compassionate. I appreciated the personal approach.
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
I found Dr. Bass to be professional, compassionate, and direct. She communicated difficult information well, but was not touchy-feely. She was willing to answer all of my questions, and provided me with the type of information I was interested in (ie- studies, pros and cons of certain testing). She consulted a colleague after my negative test and seemed to put thoughtful effort into my case. I think she is very well-suited to her job. I did not notice weaknesses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
I don't have specific advice.
Describe the protocols Katherine Bass used in your cycles at Fertility Center of Maryland and their degree of success.
She used micro-flare protocol (micro-dose lupron) given my poor response to previous Antagonist protocols. She also suggested doing a 3 day transfer rather than a 5 day, given my history of poor/average embryo quality. ICSI was performed. She recommended 1 -2 embryos be transferred. In our first IVF cycle with her, all 3 of our embryos were average and I've had many implantation failures in the past, we transferred two. I did not get pregnant. In the second, we had a better response with 4 good-looking day 3 embryos. We transferred 2 and froze 2. Unfortunately the transfer was not successful and our frozen embryos did not survive the thaw, so FET was cancelled. If I do a final cycle, her recommendation is to try to get a blast, even if it means not having a transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Center of Maryland.
There was only one day when I had to wait, but it was understandable due to inclement weather. Overall, I was able to be seen within a few minutes of arriving.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland.
My insurance covered 50%. I reached my out of pocket max of 2750 immediately and spent about $600 on medications after insurance. I have looked into using an egg donor with this clinic but costs are higher than other clinics so I will change providers if I end up going that route.
Describe Katherine Bass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Center of Maryland.
Yes, eSET is preferred. However he quality of my embryos and my previous implantation failures led them to transfer 2 both times.
Towson
The nursing staff know me by name and are always cheerful, even at 7 in the morning when I'm there for labs. Mercy, Angela, and Andrea are my favorite ladies.... [Fert Ctr of MD- Towson] Strengths- *availability to see or talk when needed. *early office hours *pleasent doctors, nurses and secretaries....Dr. Padilla is always pleasant. He greets my husband and I with a smile and sometimes throws in a joke or two. He's very gentle with the procedures and is always sure to tell me what will happen during and after procedures, blood work, etc.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Santiago Padilla at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Padilla spoke to me about all the possibilities as well as the things I needed to do to increase my chances of becoming pregnant. He was never harsh in his tone and has great bedside manner, and is always willing to answer any questions that I have.
The nursing staff know me by name and are always cheerful, even at 7 in the morning when I'm there for labs. Mercy, Angela, and Andrea are my favorite ladies. They are supportive when no matter if I'm moving in a positive direction of my journey or not so happy time of my journey.
How was your experience with Santiago Padilla at Fertility Center of Maryland?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Santiago Padilla at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Ask any question you have no matter how simple you may think it is. Dr. Padilla will answer any question you ask and won't seem like you're bothering him. I believe that he wants you to be comfortable with every part of your plan.
Describe the protocols Santiago Padilla used in your cycles at Fertility Center of Maryland and their degree of success.
I used clomid and and ovidrel to trigger. I have low progesterone levels so I have to use progesterone suppositories starting the day of insemination until I get a negative test or until many weeks after achieved pregnancy. ( I believe for 14 weeks) I miscarried before making it to that point so I can't say for sure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Santiago Padilla at Fertility Center of Maryland.
My insurance has covered most of the cost. I just pay a $10 copay each visit and starting in 2017 I have to pay a $200 deposit for IUI procedures. There is also an annual $10 office fee.
Towson
I cannot say enough wonderful things about the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Maryland. I LOVED every single nurse there. They were incredibly kind, compassionate and excellent nurses. They really cared about the patients and let you know they were rooting for you.... The monitoring appointments were efficient. For blood work you came during a specific time slot and for ultrasounds and blood work another time slot. For blood work results you called the clinic after one and they gave you the results and any adjustments to your medications.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
The entire staff at Fertility Center of Maryland was great! I loved the doctors, nurses, embryologist, front desk employees and benefits employees. Everyone was very helpful and nice. The hours are also really convenient. I was able to get all my blood work done before work every day.
Everyone at the Fertility Center of Maryland was kind and compassionate.
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Bass was kind and knowledgeable. She doesn't sugarcoat things which I appreciate in a doctor but she was also hopeful we would have success. She was always open to answering any questions or concerns I had too. She also gave me some input in to what to do during my cycles which I really appreciated.
If you're looking for a smaller clinic that can handle even tough cases, please contact Dr. Bass.
On my first IVF cycle we did the long lupron protocol. I was too suppressed and responded poorly so we did not go through with the retrieval. We instead used a HCG trigger and timed intercourse. This did not result in a pregnancy. My second cycle we used the microdose flare protocol. We ended up with 4 embryo's. We transferred 2 high quality day 3 embryos. The other two embryos were not good enough quality to freeze. This did not result in a pregnancy. My third cycle we did the estrogen patch protocol. We had 6 poor and fair quality embryos. We transferred 2 fair quality day 3 embryos. This resulted in my daughter!
I did not have any insurance coverage. The global cost for 1 round of IVF was $8,500 for the first round. They would knock off $500 for each subsequent round. You could also purchase packages. I also had to pay out of pocket for medications but they were very helpful with finding coupons or giving me donated medications.
PCOS, Other
This practice [Fertility Center of Maryland] is small and very personal. Both Dr. Padilla and his nursing staff were always caring and treated me like an individual patient. Dr. Padilla always knew the details of my case and would take the time to talk with me and answer all of my questions. Even when I came in for bloodwork, he would stop and say hello and check in.
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
This clinic is great, it's small and you never feel like you're part of a cattle call. The front desk staff know me by name and the financial staff are extremely kind and accommodating. I never waiting more than 5 minutes, which is important considering how often I had to go for bloodwork during a cycle.
This practice is small and very personal. Both Dr. Padilla and his nursing staff were always caring and treated me like an individual patient. Dr. Padilla always knew the details of my case and would take the time to talk with me and answer all of my questions. Even when I came in for bloodwork, he would stop and say hello and check in.
The nursing staff at the Towson office were amazing!!! They all know me and provided me with support through every pitfall and difficult decision. They were always available to answer questions whenever I needed to call. Mercy and Angela were ready with hugs on a bad day and I couldn't have made it through without their support!
How was your experience with Santiago Padilla at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Padilla always explained everything to us in detail. He never rushed us through an appointment and always answers questions. He also listened when I brought things up I had heard about from friends (supplements, etc) and gave me candid feedback on whether I should or shouldn't try them. When I needed services he couldn't provide, he referred me to an excellent clinic. The new clinic was over an hour away, and Dr. Padilla let me continue with bloodwork and routine ultrasound at his office. He continued to take the time to say hello, check in and answer questions even when I was no longer his patient.
Dr. Padilla is going to give you personal, individualized treatment. He's straightforward and will give you all the information. However, I would be sure to educate yourself and be sure to ask lots of questions, as any patient facing major decisions should do.
I had several clomid cycles (with step up protocol until we found the right dose), as well as clomid with iui, before moving to IVF. I was on a long lupron protocol and got many high quality embryos. After miscarrying, my husband was diagnosed with a balanced translocation.
We have excellent insurance so the majority of our expenses were covered. We paid a co-pay, and for freezing, thawing and storage costs during our IVF cycle.
2013 - 2015
The doctors [at Fertility Center of Maryland] repeatedly told me that my husband's poor semen analysis numbers were "fine for IUI and IVF" when I kept asking if he should be checked by a urologist. When I finally insisted and sent him despite their insistence it wasn't needed, he was immediately diagnosed with major bilateral varicoceles that needed surgical repair. This was the cause of my recurrent chemical pregnancies. Once he had the surgery, we conceived on our own 9 months later with no further intervention (currently 25 weeks pregnant).
2013 - 2015
The nurses were very sweet, knowledgeable, and warm and definitely put the patient at ease.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of Maryland?
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Bass is very blunt and no-nonsense. She does a good job of explaining things in laymen's terms so the patient understands, but could have a warmer bedside manner. My biggest issue with her is she completely missed my husband's undiagnosed varicoceles, and even when I suggested several times that he go see a urologist for testing, she always insisted his numbers were "fine for IUI and IVF." She was wrong, and when I insisted on sending him to a urologist anyway, he needed surgery. After his surgery we conceived naturally on our own 9 months later.
Follow your gut and be your own best advocate - doctors can miss things.
First IVF cycle was an agonist protocol, 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 2 made it to 5 day blast (one transferred, one frozen). Chemical pregnancy. Second IVF cycle was a microdose protocol, 20 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized, but only 2 made it to 5 day blast. Both transferred. Chemical pregnancy.
Pretty easy and efficient, monitoring hours were 7-9am so I was able to easily go before work.
2007 - 2011
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Carve out time to visit the office [Fertility Center of MD], ask questions, and get to know the team working to help you have a baby. I appreciate the entire staff at FCM... they are real, genuine, and compassionate from receptionists to billing department, nurses, embryologist, and the doctors. 5 stars hands down!!!...His [Dr. Padilla's] team of nurses are amazing as well and everyone including Dr. P share your ups and downs of your journey to being parents.
2007 - 2011
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
Carve out time to visit the office, ask questions, and get to know the team working to help you have a baby. I appreciate the entire staff at FCM... they are real, genuine, and compassionate from receptionists to billing department, nurses, embryologist, and the doctors. 5 stars hands down!!!
Dr. Padilla was amazing! He's informative, sensitive, and always made time to speak to me and answer my questions. His team of nurses are amazing as well and everyone including Dr. P share your ups and downs of your journey to being parents.
Awesome, efficient, sensitive, knowledgeable!
How was your experience with Santiago Padilla at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Padilla was great to work with... he always took time to meet with me and explain our options moving forward when we weren't successful. He really cares about his patients and his bedside manner is incredible- he never made those very invasive exams awkward or weird. He was gentle and aware of the discomfort I may have felt.
Never give up!
$18,000 for donor egg cycle, $5,000 for additional IVF frozen embryo cycles. Insurance didn't cover costs until last attempt unfortunately bc of donor egg
2014 - 2018
I can’t think of a single weakness. I liked the small size of the clinic [Fertility Center of Maryland], because everyone knows who you are. I never had to wait more than 5min to be seen. They are very thouroughly and clearly want to see the best for you and your family...The nursing staff is amazing!! You can call and ask to speak to a nurse at any time. They give helpful advice, and will answer any questions.
2014 - 2018
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
I can’t think of a single weakness. I liked the small size of the clinic, because everyone knows who you are. I never had to wait more than 5min to be seen. They are very thouroughly and clearly want to see the best for you and your family.
They know me by name, and ask how my children are.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Maryland. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Bass was confident and compassionate. She eased our fears and was very detailed. I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to be seen. She took the time to answer questions, etc., and I never felt rushed. Both my husband and I were very impressed.
Make sure you arrive with questions in hand.
We used Clomid, which was adjusted each time. IUIs went from pills to injectablea and also were adjusted. IVF treatment was BCP cycle and then stims.
Very efficient!!
My insurance paid a lot, but we paid around 10,000.
ESET was preferred.
2009 - 2015
Most of the time, [the Fertility Center of Maryland] staff had very poor people skills. No compassion. It was a shuffle to get you in and out. Always a rush and was not very detailed when answering questions or concerns.
2009 - 2015
Most of the time, staff had very poor people skills. no compassion. it was a shuffle to get you in and out. Always a rush and was not very detailed when answering questions or concerns.
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
She is a very good fertility doctor. However, her people skills are lacking, She often comes off as phony. There is no emotion behind her comments. A lot of the concerns i had were pushed off an not take very seriously which i feel resulted in worse complications.
If you don't require genuine concern from the doctors treating you, she may be a good fit. But if rapport is important, she may not be a good fit.