Selling medication is not offered

Anderson, SC 29621
Spartanburg (closed)
333 S. Pine
Spartanburg, SC 29302

Dr. Greene was very outgoing and friendly but when it came to the medical terminology and explanations we felt that she took it all a little too quick. We wish that she would have slowed down to explain everything better for us.... We were told 5 minuted before my FET that our first (of 3) embryo was breaking down during the thawing process and that they would have to thaw a second to put in with the first. The delivery of the news was very cold and straight forward. I wish that we were told with a little more compassion.
FCOC is one of two options for fertility care here in Greenville, SC. FCOC's strength is scheduling and finances. They always make sure bills are paid prior to your visits. Their weakness is individuality and empathy. What a tough road fertility is and it would be so refreshing to find a center that treats people as humans and not numbers.... I know that for our egg retrieval and FET, including medications we have spent about $17.500 out of pocket.
How was your experience with Lisa Green at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Green at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Make sure that you are aware of all outcomes from your procedure and don't be afraid to ask questions... no matter how silly or repetitive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Green at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Describe the protocols Lisa Green used in your cycles at Fertility Center of the Carolinas and their degree of success.
The IVF nurses were the ones explaining protocol and treatment rounds to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of the Carolinas. (Assigned nurse: Susan )
Most of the nursing staff was friendly. I didn't feel a lot of compassion from the team which bothered me. I was hoping for people to cheer along side us and rather everything felt pretty protocol.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Green at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
I know that for our egg retrieval and FET, including medications we have spent about $17.500 out of pocket. We are waiting on an endometrial biopsy to figure out the next steps of our process. We have one frozen egg left to transfer and we will do that once all of our prior concerns and questions have been met.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
My doctor through my FET forgot to call a pharmacy with my prescription for the FET. It was frustrating.
Lisa Green

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Likes was pretty straightforward. While I appreciate that, I would have appreciated some empathy as well...wasn't exactly forthcoming with explaining each step, each phase, why things were happening, other options, etc. He was just sort of ok...I wouldn't call him empathetic or even concerned. We had issues at every single turn...The process was basically handed to me on paper, and we didn't understand the process, what step/ phase we were on, or why we were doing certain things or taking certain medications.
She [nurse at Fertility Center of the Carolinas] was a terrible communicator. Most of the time my questions wouldn't even get directly answered, then she would get frustrated that I had so many questions. They mostly communicate through mychart and don't do a great job so things were often unclear causing me added frustration and stress... I had issues at every turn from wrong scripts being called in, the wrong pharmacy being used, incorrect and misleading financial information, unclear instructions, and more.
How was your experience with Creighton Likes at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Dr Likes was pretty straightforward. While I appreciate that, I would have appreciated some empathy as well. Also this office in general, the doctor included, wasn't exactly forthcoming with explaining each step, each phase, why things were happening, other options, etc. He was just sort of ok.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Creighton Likes at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Don't expect any feeling/ empathy and don't expect to really understand what's happening.... just expect to roll with the steps they give you in your packet. And expect to do a lot of the legwork yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Creighton Likes at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
I had a terrible experience. The doctor himself was ok, nice enough.... but I wouldn't call him empathetic or even concerned. We had issues at every single turn. The financials were unclear and we were given conflicting financial information every attempt. The process was basically handed to me on paper, and we didn't understand the process, what step/ phase we were on, or why we were doing certain things or taking certain medications. The nurse got irritated bc I had a lot of questions, but they never really explained things well so I had to ask other people then call the nurse to verify. I think they eventually switched me to a different nurse because the 1st got aggravated. Even the lady who drew my blood week after week didn't ever act like she remembered me, or show any friendliness or conversation. When I had a failed pregnancy, they communicated that to me electronically through Mychart which was extremely impersonal.... and the message basically said let us know when you're ready to try again. There were other issues as well, but I can definitely say that I'd never recommend that office.
Describe the protocols Creighton Likes used in your cycles at Fertility Center of the Carolinas and their degree of success.
I don't remember everything. I'm of advanced maternal age, and only have one functioning tube. In addition, years ago I had a huge fibroid cyst that broke through the wall of my uterus causing me to have an emergency myomectomy. I believe we just went thru a routine egg retrieval with normal medications, and two frozen transfers. Finally I decided to have my remaining 3 embryos PGS tested, and only 1 came out viable so we are in the process of getting ready to transfer the remaining one very soon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of the Carolinas. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
She was a terrible communicator. Most of the time my questions wouldn't even get directly answered, then she would get frustrated that I had so many questions. They mostly communicate through mychart and don't do a great job so things were often unclear causing me added frustration and stress.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
I'm sure there may be some good doctors at this practice, and I'm sure they see plenty of success stories too. But the overall experience was stressful, frustrating and disappointing. The process was unclear, I didn't understand why we were doing certain things, the financials ran me in circles because I kept getting answers that were incorrect this causing added out of pocket expenses... and the was zero empathy or personal connection. The ultrasound tech ward the nicest person there, and the doctor i saw was just ok. If the staff had been better, I may feel ok with a doctor who's just ok. Dr likes was nice, and he answered my questions x but I didn't even know what questions to ask and no one there was forthcoming in proactively providing information. I'm on my 3rd cycle now, and don't understand the process half as well as women using other clinics who may be on their 1st cycle. I did have a different doctor so one of my procedures(Dr Green) and she attended much better (enthusiastic, understanding, open communicator) but I never really got to know her.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
As mentioned in my previous comments, I had issues at every turn from wrong scripts being called in, the wrong pharmacy being used, incorrect and misleading financial information, unclear instructions, and more.
Creighton Likes
Greenville

Dr. Miller very clearly laid out all treatment plans for my husband and I. He explained to us different methods we could use to achieve a pregnancy. He was very compassionate and knowledgeable. He worked closely with the nurses to ensure proper communication.... We started with Clomid, but weren’t having positive results. Added in Novarel. Then added in Gonal F. Switched to Letrozole+Novarel+Gonal F. Dr. Miller suggested a regimen of vitamin e, d 3, coq10, and prenatals.
This clinic [Fertility Center of the Carolinas] is very large and tends to treat its patients like numbers rather than people. I’ve had quite a few conversations with the patient care coordinator regarding the treatment i received there.... Negative experience with IUI- we were in the waiting room for over an hour after our scheduled appointment time.... FCC is a very large clinic run by a hospital so it is much more like an institution and less of a positive, relaxed experience.
How was your experience with Paul Miller at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Miller at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Ask questions if you have them. Don’t expect him to know what you’re thinking.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Miller at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Describe the protocols Paul Miller used in your cycles at Fertility Center of the Carolinas and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of the Carolinas. (Assigned nurse: Megan )
Megan is very knowledgeable regarding infertility, treatments, and PCOS. She showed compassion and gave necessary instructions. She provided a treatment plan at every appointment.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
This clinic is very large and tends to treat its patients like numbers rather than people. I’ve had quite a few conversations with the patient care coordinator regarding the treatment i received there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Miller at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
Ultrasound- $280 Clomid- $50 Femara- $10 Gonal F+Novarel- $500+
Describe Paul Miller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
Paul Miller
Greenville

The second round of IVF [with Dr. David Forstein] required me to take a medicine used to treat PCOS even though I do not have PCOS or any signs of it. I had to watch all my sugars on that medication or I became sick. He kept the protocol pretty much the same from the first one to the second one because he felt the first round didn't produce good egg quality so he just tried to increase my egg quality for the second round. Both rounds produced several eggs, most which died over night, with only two making it to the third day each cycle.
A weakness [at Fertility Center of the Carolinas] is billing. You never receive an itemized bill from them. You just pay them money which can change cycle to cycle. A strength is scheduling. They do everything they can to work with your schedule...Susan and Lynn are the best thing to happen to the fertility clinic. They are both full of compassion. They never make you feel silly asking questions. They are good to support you when it doesn't work. They are also good to listen to you as you feel like it is falling apart. They are supportive and should get paid the same amount if not more than the doctors themselves.
How was your experience with David Forstein at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Dr. Forstein was easy to talk to and listened to me. He changed the protocol after the first failed round. Dr. Forstein came up with another idea to try before a third round of IVF. He showed compassion when he was unable to find a reason for our infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Forstein at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Your time with the doctor will be limited. Try to come up with all questions ahead of time. Most questions will be answered by the nurse especially if you email.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Forstein at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
You don't spend a lot of time with him as a doctor. You spend a lot more time with the nurses.
Describe the protocols David Forstein used in your cycles at Fertility Center of the Carolinas and their degree of success.
I took Lupron shots every morning. I took Menopur and Gonal-F at night. The first round I had a shot that resembled the HCG shots. The second round I had the official HCG shot. The second round of IVF required me to take a medicine used to treat PCOS even though I do not have PCOS or any signs of it. I had to watch all my sugars on that medication or I became sick. He kept the protocol pretty much the same from the first one to the second one because he felt the first round didn't produce good egg quality so he just tried to increase my egg quality for the second round. Both rounds produced several eggs, most which died over night, with only two making it to the third day each cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of the Carolinas. (Assigned nurse: Susan and Lynn)
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
A weakness is billing. You never receive an itemized bill from them. You just pay them money which can change cycle to cycle. A strength is scheduling. They do everything they can to work with your schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Forstein at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
It cost $15,000 before insurance each round. The second round was more expensive since insurance ran out.
Describe David Forstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
He transferred two embryos each time because that is all that survived.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
The clinic is well run but has a lot to keep up with on each patient.
David Forstein
Greenville

[Dr. Likes] was nice but I never really had a true understanding of the plan for me. I had good results but never any baby until two months after I was done. I also had to get the mess myself which was added stress... Did the other version of chlomid for two months and then injections for two months...I just never knew what the plan was and when the plan failed what would happen from there... i felt very rushed with the nurses. the nurses did not explain much to me when i was going through the process....
Most of the staff [Fertility Ctr of the Carolinas] was friendly but you never really knew what to expectEither you would be charge for something you didn’t know you were going to be charged for or you just never knew what the next step in the process was if the last step was unsuccessful... My insurance did not cover any of my treatments and my medicines were about $1000 a month for injections the ultrasounds were about $350
Likes was nice but I never really had a true understanding of the plan for me. I had good results but never any baby until two months after I was done. I also had to get the mess myself which was added stress
Make sure you do research ahead of time
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
They were friendly but the one lady who did my first ultrasound was not helpful at all. I kept asking what she was seeing and she did not care to describe it to me
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
Most of the staff was friendly but you never really knew what to expectEither you would be charge for something you didn’t know you were going to be charged for or you just never knew what the next step in the process was if the last step was unsuccessful
Describe the costs associated with your care under Creighton Likes at Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
Creighton Likes
2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Forstein offered us hope we had not felt in a long time by his willingness to listen. Just the act of sitting down with both of us for several hours on our initial visit made us feel we could trust him. He had answers for all of our questions and made sure we understood before moving on to the next question. He didn't ignore any concerns we had. He made sure to personally connect with me every single visit unless it was a blood draw. If I had a question for a nurse over the phone it was common for Dr. Forstien to call me back personally to address my questions.
The nurses [at Fertility Center of the Carolinas] rarely remembered who I was. Often I had to tell them what medication I was on and what dosage was usually perscribed because they had trouble locating it in their files. I could call three or four times a day to get my perscription filled and not get ahold of a nurse, only the secretary who would transfer me over to a voicemail. This was frusterating because with infertility treatments everything is extremely time sensitive and if I didn't get a blood test or perscription filled on the exact day of my cycle it was due then I had to wait an entire cycle before beginning again.
He was the first doctor to sit down with both of us and listen to every single concern we had. He offered helpful advice that made the "act" (sex) of trying to concieve less difficult for my husband and me. Also, he worked with our religious preferences and didn't belittle them. He explained all the tests to us in detail so we knew what was going on and made sure we were comfortable with all the procedures before beginning them.
The nurses rarely remembered who I was. Often I had to tell them what medication I was on and what dosage was usually perscribed because they had trouble locating it in their files. I could call three or four times a day to get my perscription filled and not get ahold of a nurse, only the secretary who would transfer me over to a voicemail. This was frusterating because with infertility treatments everything is extremely time sensitive and if I didn't get a blood test or perscription filled on the exact day of my cycle it was due then I had to wait an entire cycle before beginning again.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of the Carolinas.
I was there during the time they were switching computer systems so perhaps that is the reason for the errors in billing. Whatever the reason, it was often that I could be billed two or three times for a treatment I had already paid for. Sometimes I would get phone calls and letters from bill collectors on bills I had already paid. I would have to show the hospital my receipts, bank statements, etc. to prove payment because their computers didn't acknowledge that I had paid at all even though I was always up to date and paid everything due each visit. It got so bad and so confusing I had to visit two different billing offices (in different areas of town) and talk with the people there for hours. Through my careful documentation they were able to see how the computer system somehow misfiled my payments and fortunately after months of harrassment the issues were resolved.
Here are some of the bills I was able to pull up from the year 2015:very 5/20 office visit $140 5/20 blood work $13 5/20 general health panel $113 5/20 prolactin $94 5/20 tstosterone fr $99 5/20 hgb glycosylated $50 6/9 blood draw $13 6/9 Projesterone test $94 6/26 office visit $398.09 6/26 Smr prim src wet mount $20 6/26 dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate $103 6/26 prolactin $94 6/26 blood draw $13 7/07 office visit $140 7/13 labratory specimen $254.20 7/06 ? $75.82 7/07 office visit $140 7/31 Blood draw $13 7/31 Assay of projesterone $94 7/31 Blood work $13 11/19 hgc blood test $32 11/19 blood draw $11
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of the Carolinas?
Before being perscribed my medication I always had to take a pregnancy test and then I was told to call in the results and I was to take the meds immediately if I wasn't already pregnant. One time I had to call 4x in one day before I got ahold of the nurse -just before the clinic closed. She told me since my test was negative she would call in my perscriptions. I went to the pharmacy and found out only one of the two necessary medications had been called in. Another time, I had called in to the nurse to tell her my cycle had begun and she told me she would call in my perscription. She told me to pick up my perscription and take all my medications on one day. I told her that this surprised me because I hadn't been instructed to take the pills in that manner before. She told me that "oh, well, I don't have your flow chart in front of me right now. How do you normally take the medication?" After I told her how I usually take it she told me that I should do it the way I've always done it then. Hearing a nurse recommend a medication but not even knowing how I usually take it was VERY disconcerting. That time also I went to the pharmacy and found out that the perscription she had supposedly called in had never actually been phoned in. I called a nurse, she said she was surprised it hadn't been called in yet. She asked me what my usual dosage was and after I told her, she told me she would call it in. I waited an hour at the pharmacy until it was called in and filled.
David Forstein