6.2

2592 East Grand Ave
Lindenhurst, IL 60046
847-356-0483

2021, Unsuccessful
it was really difficult to get ahold of him [Dr. Hobeika] or someone in his office, so I felt like a very low priority...at one point, I left a voicemail in tears on a Monday and didn't hear from anyone until Friday...I was never told ahead of time what medications I may need in the near future, so I wasn't prepared with Cetrotide when we needed it. Then I only got 2 eggs frozen - I went to another clinic and 2 months later I had 12 eggs. VASTLY different results!!
FCI [Fertility Centers of Illinois] is completely unorganized when it comes to scheduling and intake. Be prepared to be there for 1-2 hours for your daily bloodwork and ultrasound...I had a lot of trouble getting ahold of the nurse, doctor or clinic and get their assistance in ordering medicine...I was never given a medication calendar to understand what meds I may need 2-3 days out - so I was never able to order ahead of time from my pharmacy...
How was your experience with Elie Hobeika at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I could never get ahold of my nurse or doctor when I needed to (at one point, I left a voicemail in tears on a Monday and didn't hear from anyone until Friday). And I think something was off with the protocol. I was never told ahead of time what medications I may need in the near future, so I wasn't prepared with Cetrotide when we needed it. Then I only got 2 eggs frozen - I went to another clinic and 2 months later I had 12 eggs. VASTLY different results!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elie Hobeika at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Do not go here for egg freezing, especially if you are paying out of pocket. Go somewhere that will make you a priority and not waste your money, and will be available to answer your questions and fears.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elie Hobeika at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
When I was able to chat face-to-face (virtually) with Dr Hobeika, his bedside manner was great. But it was really difficult to get ahold of him or someone in his office, so I felt like a very low priority. I also felt pretty foolish a few times (e.g., he had promised to follow up with materials and never did - them told me none of his patients asked the detail I was asking for)
Describe the protocols Elie Hobeika used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
I had been on birth control for 10-15 years, so I went off of it for about 3-4 months. Then I did 5-6 days of Minivelle/Estradial patches and Cetrotide for priming. A week later, my period started and we began with Menopur and Gonal F. Stimulation lasted 11 days. We kept Menopur at 150 the entire protocol, while the Gonal F we increased from 225 for 3 days, then 300, then 375, then 450 for the last 4 days. I started Cetrotide again on day 8. We triggered with just 10,000 HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Bevin)
I think the nurse is where most of the confusion lays (though I still put the doctor with ultimate responsibility). I was never able to get ahold of her or ask questions - and there were often very hurried and unclear responses about my medication. It is VERY difficult to understand the process the first time through, and I was never given a medication calendar to understand what meds I may need 2-3 days out - so I was never able to order ahead of time from my pharmacy. I was also kicked out of my post-op room way too soon. I was still shivering and sobbing coming down from the anesthesia, and they kicked me out before my doctor even stopped by to check on me or tell me the # of eggs they had retrieved. This almost felt like malpractice - I was left to leave the clinic alone and wait outside for my ride. The next day we had a call to which the doctor said "oh yah, I wondered where you had gone!"
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI is completely unorganized when it comes to scheduling and intake. Be prepared to be there for 1-2 hours for your daily bloodwork and ultrasound, and don't be surprised if they forget you (about half of the time I had to remind them I was there). It is VERY hard to manage a work schedule around their BW/US appointments as you don't know when you will be out of there. As mentioned previously, it is also very difficult to get ahold of your nurse or someone on your team to answer any questions you may have about your treatment or protocol.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I had a lot of trouble getting ahold of the nurse, doctor or clinic and get their assistance in ordering medicine. I was told late in the evening one day that I actually should have started Cetrotide earlier that day, yet I had none left in my medicine supply (I had never been told I would start Cetrotide in the protocol - I had used all 4 doses the pharmacy gave me in the priming. Worth noting the pharmacy was VERY surprised to hear I had used Cetrotide in my priming). Thank goodness a friend had an extra dose of Cetrotide so I could use that and get my medication delivered the next day - otherwise I would have missed a day of meds due to the unorganized nurse.
Elie Hobeika
Buffalo Grove

Dr Jacobs is a highly skilled and experienced practitioner, with complete understanding of what would be best for an individual. He assessed uz very closely and suggested next steps/treatment accordingly rather than providing a defined set of treatment...[he] did a couple of meetings with us just to understand the entire scenario and background and was very empathetic throughout to both of us.
We had a lot of questions and concerns while undergoing IVF, which is a natural feeling in this process but [the Fertility Centers of Illinois nurse] was always very quick in responding to them and would always provide complete and detailed information...Staff is amazingly cooperative and the facilities are well maintained and equipped The only downside is the waiting time before appointment which is relatively longer at times due to the number of patients
How was your experience with Laurence Jacobs at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr Jacobs is a highly skilled and experienced practitioner, with complete understanding of what would be best for an individual. He assessed uz very closely and suggested next steps/treatment accordingly rather than providing a defined set of treatment. Being an ivf doctor, one is dealing with a very sensitive subject and situation and his empathetic nature and confidence in his own skills were the major reasons we opted for him for our ivf treatment and it was the beet decision of our lives. Also, being such a senior doctor, he has performed a lot of research on different areas in Ivf and also has many white papers published on hie name, which also helped us a lot to take certain important decisions
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurence Jacobs at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Trust him and his experience and follow his treatment recommendations at each step
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurence Jacobs at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr Jacobs did a couple of meetings with us just to understand the entire scenario and background and was very empathetic throughout to both of us.
Describe the protocols Laurence Jacobs used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
Some of the protocols (more of recommendations) followed by Dr Jacobs that did wonders for me: Simulation cycle before actual FET Saline ultrasound before retrieval Specific Medicines for the cycle prep
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Melligan)
Jennifer is an excellent coordinator and very knowledgeable around things concerning the treatment. We had a lot of questions and concerns while undergoing IVF, which is a natural feeling in this process but she was always very quick in responding to them and would always provide complete and detailed information. As all their staff, she was quite empathetic and patient in addressing all my queries and concerns.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurence Jacobs at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Around $10k out of pocket with PPO insurance
Describe Laurence Jacobs's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Its quite simple - the lesser the number of embryos formed the lesser the transfer count, so we have more chances of trying again
Buffalo Grove

My first cycle [with Dr. Allison Rodgers] was clomid. My next two cycles were letrozole. We switched from clomid to letrozole per my request. We are currently moving on to IUI... seems to care about what we want for treatment. She takes what we feel into consideration. She also respects our religious beliefs and doesn't push us into doing anything that we are uncomfortable with...is always willing to answer our questions. She never acts like we are bothering her by asking questions. I wanted to try a different medication and she was open to discussing that option with me.
Orders weren't ordered by the morning I went in [to Fertility Centers of Illinois], but they did the tests anyway and the nurse put the orders in when she came in. One cycle it was confusing as to which protocol I was doing. The doctor said one thing but the nurse said another. I had my nurse confirm with the doctor so we could get it figured out...You have to be really on top of billing. Keep track of all bills and when you make payments. Keep a detailed list! Also, advocate for yourself! If your doctor/nurse isn't in, someone else will need to fill in. If they tell you something that you think is incorrect or your nurse/doctor does it differently, mention it. It doesn't hurt to clarify and ask!
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rodgers is always willing to answer our questions. She never acts like we are bothering her by asking questions. I wanted to try a different medication and she was open to discussing that option with me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Go into an appointment with your questions written down. She doesn't rush you and will answer all your questions, but she sometimes talks fast. For me, it was easy to get sidetracked while in our meetings. Writing everything down kept me on track during our meetings and made sure all my questions were answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rodgers seems to care about what we want for treatment. She takes what we feel into consideration. She also respects our religious beliefs and doesn't push us into doing anything that we are uncomfortable with.
Describe the protocols Allison Rodgers used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
My first cycle was clomid. My next two cycles were letrozole. We switched from clomid to letrozole per my request. We are currently moving on to IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Amber)
Amber was great. She always answered my questions the same day. Sometimes it was later in the day even if I submitted/called earlier in the day. However, she always called/messaged back. She seemed to really care about my questions and if she was ever unsure about anything she asked the doctor and called me back with answers.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I have insurance so it's just been my normal deductible for now until I reach my limit.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Orders weren't ordered by the morning I went in, but they did the tests anyway and the nurse put the orders in when she came in. One cycle it was confusing as to which protocol I was doing. The doctor said one thing but the nurse said another. I had my nurse confirm with the doctor so we could get it figured out.

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Rodgers always remembered us and was prepared for every appointment....She is very determined to make you successful. I am one of 4 friends who has used her and we all have gotten pregnant. She takes time with you and is very blunt about her expectations.... Before egg retrievals she did not use birth control but instead waited for natural ovulation before starting estrogen patches and Lupron.
Everyone [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] was very friendly. My only negative would be that when booking appointments they would often transfer you back and forth to other clinics depending on availability and that became annoying to repeat yourself.... I could call the office and most times talk directly to my nurse. We also communicated via email almost daily. She was very present and responded to all emails.
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
She is very determined to make you successful. I am one of 4 friends who has used her and we all have gotten pregnant. She takes time with you and is very blunt about her expectations. She is all business but is also very compassionate.
Make sure you are ready to hear the hard truth. She is willing to do whatever you want for the most part but does not want to waste your time or money.
Dr. Rodgers always remembered us and was prepared for every appointment. She always asked about our adopted son and remembered his name.
Before egg retrievals she did not use birth control but instead waited for natural ovulation before starting estrogen patches and Lupron. Then after your period started, the stimulation meds began (follistim, ganirellix, menopur). I then had appointments every 2 days for monitoring. We also did ERA cycles to make sure Lining was receptive before frozen transfers. For transfers we used Lupron, estradiol patches, vaginal estrogen, and progesterone in oil.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Everyone was very friendly. My only negative would be that when booking appointments they would often transfer you back and forth to other clinics depending on availability and that became annoying to repeat yourself.
We were very lucky to have insurance coverage for IVF. We were only responsible for our copays until our deductible was met.
Describe Allison Rodgers's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Dr. Rodgers is usually against multiple embryo transfer until several attempts have failed or embryo quality is not ideal.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
In regards to my pregnancy test results, no one called me that day with my results. Come to find out they had me down for a different day so we’re not looking for my results. Thankfully I was able to get the results from my OB that day.
Buffalo Grove

After the surgery [with Dr. Allison Rodgers], they told me that the eggs were “granular” because they had given me too much medication too fast. Basically they told me that the eggs were low quality because I’d been cooked on high. I am about to start the second round and they have adjusted my dosage. This second round I will have 150 IU Menopur and will start at 175 IU Follistim. It is anticipated that the cycle will last slightly longer.
The front desk staff [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] is sort of aloof. The wait time is always 20-30 minutes, even if it’s just a blood draw!! It doesn’t matter if you are early or late, the wait is always there. Don’t get anxious about it, that’s just how it is. Overall, the clinic itself is not my favorite. If I felt like it was possible to switch, I might, but I like the doctor enough that I will stay...I felt like the clinic did not make good effort to get things covered by insuance. My insurance plan was eventually willing to cover everything, but it ended up requiring me to put in my own pre-certification.
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rodgers has a lot of experience treating patients with PCOS and was fully equipped to handle my condition. My treatment plan appeared to take into account the PCOS and she took over my metformin treatment as well. It was a little challenging that she chose not to be the treating doctor for my hypothyroidism. My main Endocrinologist still had to order her own bloodwork and adjust medications. During the IVF cycle, when I was already being poked so many times, it was challenging to then have to be poked again separately for TSH/T4 tests. During consultation visits, Dr. Rodgers makes decisions very quickly. Sometimes I felt like she left me out of the decisions. The decisions were medically sound, but her thought process was not well explained. I was happy that she was the doctor on call for my first egg retrieval. It was comforting to know that she already knew me. I would have liked her to check back on me post-op before I left. She did call me a day later to give results. Her explainations about the eggs/embryos were a little misleading. Her words confused me and concerned me, although when i talked with the Embryologist from her office, they were able to describe things a lot better. Overall, I think Dr. Rodgers is a good doctor and has good follow through with her patients, but could work on improving her communication skills about the treatment.
Dr. Rodgers’ explainations are not the end-all. If you are confused, ask her supportig staff and they will offer more explainations.
I was assigned to a singular nurse (Stephanie) who handled all of my care. I could shoot her an email and she would respond back the same day or the next day. She was intimately involved with my care and did not seem to be constantly referencing records to decide what to do next.
The first cycle included 21 days of Orthocyclen, then baseline ultrasound, then on the first day of my period I started with 2.5 MG Letrozole, 75 IU Menopur, and 225 IU Follistim. At the first ultrasound they upped the dose to 250 IU Follistim. Later it was upped to 300 IU Follistim and added Ganirelix. They explained that the increased Follistim would help the eggs get bigger. Monitoring was every other day at first, and then every day. Monitoring on the weekend is downtown at the River North office (over 1 hour away from the main clinic). 36 hours before the surgery I was instructed to take an IM shot of Pregnyl. After the surgery, they told me that the eggs were “granular” because they had given me too much medication too fast. Basically they told me that the eggs were low quality because I’d been cooked on high. I am about to start the second round and they have adjusted my dosage. This second round I will have 150 IU Menopur and will start at 175 IU Follistim. It is anticipated that the cycle will last slightly longer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Crissie)
She responded to emails pretty quickly, but often placed the blame on other people for why paperwork was not recorded correctly or why things hadn’t worked out like planned. Additionally I felt like she was relatively judgey of my personal life and made me jump through additional hoops when my personal life did not fit what she anticipated it would be.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I felt like the clinic did not make good effort to get things covered by insuance. My insurance plan was eventually willing to cover everything, but it ended up requiring me to put in my own pre-certification. A boiling point was after I had gotten a denial mid-cycle while my hormones were all crazy where I was basically crying on the phone with the billing department about how they weren’t trying hard enough to get things covered. After I accused them of not trying to get things covered because they would get more money if I paid out of pocket, they transfered me to a supervisor who was miraculously able to call the insurance to get a peer-to-peer scheduled. In terms of the clinical staff, I like the main woman who does the ultrasounds, but her backup is a little clueless. The woman who draws the blood leaves bruises, but the backup persom is very good. The other backups seem to make me anxious. The front desk staff is sort of aloof. The wait time is always 20-30 minutes, even if it’s just a blood draw!! It doesn’t matter if you are early or late, the wait is always there. Don’t get anxious about it, that’s just how it is. Overall, the clinic itself is not my favorite. If I felt like it was possible to switch, I might, but I like the doctor enough that I will stay.
$1700 for the cryopreservation and storage for 1 year. Additional years of storage are $500. Everything else was covered by insurance. Semen analysis (at the beginning) was $100.
My doctor believes that only one embryo can be transfered at a time because it is already a high risk pregnancy. I have done IVF with Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis for my BRCA1 mutation. She considers all PGD or PGS patients high risk and will not implant more than one at a time. Since I have depression, my therapist told me to ask if I could do two at a time (because it is anticipated that I will have post-partum depression), but Dr. Rodgers did not think this was possible.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There is an “issue” with their fax machine. They frequently claim they didn’t receive things that had been sent to them. They also sometimes don’t actually send out items they claim to have sent. This is an ongoing issue. It does not appear to matter how well the items are labeled. I had to send the results to my genetic testing at least 4 times. Additionally, the office always seems to lose letters from the insurance company. They always end up calling me for me to scan and send them a copy of the letter.
Buffalo Grove

In the beginning I was more of a number but as time & problems have gone on I feel like I am getting treated more like a human. She [Dr. Rodgers] does have great bedside manner and really cares for her patients....She has been a great doctor for me. I know she cares and tries her best. We have had many setbacks and she is willing to fight with us....First retrieval was an antagonist protocol with 300 Gonal F & 300 Menopur along with Cetrotide.
The financial coordinator [at FCI] is very good with communication and responding. The billing department is sloppy and you don't get good statements especially if you have anything prepaid with them. The clinic does not use HGH...My third egg retrieval I was not told I ovulated on the table and had only 2 eggs retrieved...I could always get an appointment time that was convenient. Some days you are in and out and others they are backed up.
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
She has been a great doctor for me. I know she cares and tries her best. We have had many setbacks and she is willing to fight with us. The negatives are FCI does not prescribe HGH. You do have to be very vigilant in getting your concerns and information to everyone you work with.
Make sure you remind her of important details especially during the phone calls.
In the beginning I was more of a number but as time & problems have gone on I feel like I am getting treated more like a human. She does have great bedside manner and really cares for her patients.
First retrieval was an antagonist protocol with 300 Gonal F & 300 Menopur along with Cetrotide. I retrieved 10 eggs, 8 fertilized and all 8 arrested by day 3 so no transfer. My second retrieval I did a lupron protocol with Gonal F & Menopur doses changing almost daily. I retrieved 11 eggs, 6 fertilized, and 1 embryo had to be frozen as my progesterone was too high for a fresh transfer. My third retrieval was lupron, 300 gonal F & 300 Menopur. I had 16 follicles going into retrieval and ended up ovulating during the procedure. 2 follicles were retrieved, 1 fertilized and I don't know yet if it makes it or not to be frozen. We found out during our second & third retrieval due to an ERA that I am pre-receptive by 12 hours so going forward I always have to freeze embryos.
She is good for the most part but I do need to keep on top of details and question potential mistakes at times. I think she care but on an overall basis she seems very overwhelmed and this is getting reflected in the quality and care of her work.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The financial coordinator is very good with communication and responding. The billing department is sloppy and you don't get good statements especially if you have anything prepaid with them. The clinic does not use HGH. Also retrievals at River North you need to stay on top of timing there as you are getting pushed around with many people and your doctor is most likely not there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I am running around $12,000 per retrieval cycle which includes meds, monitoring & retrieval. I do have some insurance but no coverage for meds.
We have not transferred anything yet but we have discussed positives & negatives to both.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
My third egg retrieval I was not told I ovulated on the table and had only 2 eggs retrieved. I had to call after I was already gone to find this out.
2005 - 2012, Successful
We had lots of set backs and unexplained infertility. Dr. Jacobs always explained all of our options and what our next course of treatment was. He seemed to share some of our feelings with set backs and wanted us to succeed with a live birth-not just as a doctor but as a person.... He explains everything and he's very scientific with his explanations which can be confusing; however, if you ask more details-he's great at breaking it down so you can understand it better and make informed decisions.
I was not as thrilled with his office staff [at FCI- Buffalo Grove] . Very cold and impersonal at the Buffalo Grove facility. At one point they got me and another patient confused and almost proceeded with a test for the wrong thing. Another time, after our 3rd failure with IVF an ultrasound tech said "Wow, I can't believe you're still trying" and not in a good way. I called Marcia, Dr. Jacob's nurse coordinator, and she was very apologetic. It still was very hurtful though, without any compassion or thought.
How was your experience with Laurence Jacobs at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something. He explains everything and he's very scientific with his explanations which can be confusing; however, if you ask more details-he's great at breaking it down so you can understand it better and make informed decisions.
Dr. Jacobs is very to the point but kind and compassionate too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marcia)
Marcia was excellent! She ALWAYS showed compassion and explained everything in detail. She was always available to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I was not as thrilled with his office staff. Very cold and impersonal at the Buffalo Grove facility. At one point they got me and another patient confused and almost proceeded with a test for the wrong thing. Another time, after our 3rd failure with IVF an ultrasound tech said "Wow, I can't believe you're still trying" and not in a good way. I called Marcia, Dr. Jacob's nurse coordinator, and she was very apologetic. It still was very hurtful though, without any compassion or thought.
I had good insurance but after everything was done-we ended up spending about $25,000 of our own money.
I didn't have many embryos to transfer so we didn't really have much choice.
Buffalo Grove

Dr Rodgers was very helpful and understanding during this process. Still to early to know if IUI worked. But appreciated Doc and her staff. I only wish the protocol was outlined a bit clearer considering the several appts needed. Sometimes I didn’t know why I was coming in for an appt, I just showed up. ... Be encouraged to ask questions ... I was told that since my thyroid was low I’d have to take synthetic hormone
I was told that since my thyroid was low I’d have to take synthetic hormone, i was told it would be called In and it never was. ... Weakness. For 6:30 am appts, if patients have arrived, don’t let them sit in the lobby, open the office doors [Fertility Centers of Illinois] so they can sit in the common area. Or have a sign saying the doors won’t open till a certain time so I doesn’t appear like the staff at the desk is ignoring patients ... Although I hated communicating via email, my nurse was very responsive ...
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Be encouraged to ask questions
Not sure as this is my first time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Z)
Although I hated communicating via email, my nurse was very responsive
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Weakness. For 6:30 am appts, if patients have arrived, don’t let them sit in the lobby, open the office doors so they can sit in the common area. Or have a sign saying the doors won’t open till a certain time so I doesn’t appear like the staff at the desk is ignoring patients
High deductible plan$1500
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I was told that since my thyroid was low I’d have to take synthetic hormone, i was told it would be called In and it never was. During my next appt doc asked me about it and I told her no one called it in. Thank goodness next tests showed my thyroid was better.

2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Rodgers uncovered a host of fertility issues I didn't even know I was dealing with...extremely knowledgeable and thorough. She knows the latest research, and ran all the necessary tests to get to the bottom of my infertility. She had great recommendations for which medications would make me feel best. Because of that, I felt really good throughout my treatments, which is almost unheard of...I always felt like I was in good hands with Dr. Rodgers. Thanks to her, I finally got pregnant after years of trying...
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rodgers uncovered a host of fertility issues I didn't even know I was dealing with. I’d seen another fertility doctor prior to Dr. Rodgers and didn't get anywhere. Dr. Rodgers is extremely knowledgeable and thorough. She knows the latest research, and ran all the necessary tests to get to the bottom of my infertility. She had great recommendations for which medications would make me feel best. Because of that, I felt really good throughout my treatments, which is almost unheard of. While fertility treatments aren't fun, due to frequency of appointments and volume of patients, I always felt like I was in good hands with Dr. Rodgers. Thanks to her, I finally got pregnant after years of trying. I will definitely be going back to Dr. Rodgers if I want to have another baby in the future!
Be patient with the process, and trust Dr. Rodgers' recommendations. I don't like taking medications, but at some point I had to go outside my comfort zone to get the results I wanted. Fertility treatments are difficult for everyone, but it's best to work with someone who knows what they're doing, so you can get through the process as quickly as possible.
She always took the time to answer my extensive questions. Was very kind and supportive throughout the process!
Saline Ultrasound to test for polyps, Hysteroscopy to remove polyps, Letrozole to stimulate ovulation, Ovidrel Shot 1x/cycle, 3 timed intercourse cycles, and 2 IUI cycles (second was successful).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie was awesome! She took the time to explain cycle calendars to me, and went above and beyond to communicate with me in a timely fashion. She was patient, kind, and wonderful to work with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I know how many patients go through FCI, so I understand how difficult it must be for staff to schedule appointments. However, this was the biggest issue I faced. Often, I'd be told I needed an appointment scheduled immediately, and I would get an answering machine. I would try to schedule online and no one would respond. It was especially difficult to schedule on the weekends. Many times, I would end up at a clinic an hour away from my house. I could tell the staff would get frustrated trying to fit everyone in as well. That was really the only issue I had. All locations were very nice and clean. I liked how there were multiple offices I could visit. Staff and doctors were really nice, especially the ultrasound technicians.
I spent several thousand out of pocket. Everything else was covered by insurance.
Buffalo Grove

She [Dr. Allison Rodgers] has personal experience with all the treatments...I think she will try everything. She investigates stuff other doctors don't bother checking. I had an OB tell me to temp for three months before they'd even bother doing anything else. Well, not Dr. Rodgers! I don't know if our issues would have ever been treated if we hadn't come here...At our first consult she recommended skipping iui due to our history but I wanted to do them (I wasn't ready for ivf yet). Probably should have skipped them.
I think they [Fertility Centers of Illinois] will do what it takes to get you success as long as you're willing/able. Test results are FAST (same day) and there is a lot of consistency in ultrasound techs, nurses, phlebotomists, front desk instead of feeling like you are seeing new people every time. It can sometimes be difficult to get appointments...Much more of a concern if your work can't be flexible with appts. My least favorite thing about FCI is that IVF is only at the downtown location.
Be open
This clinic can be sooooo busy, but when the big things happen I think she always comes through. She has personal experience with all the treatments.
For ivf we did ganirelix, gonalf, menopur, ovidrel. Antibiotics, probiotics, electrolytes. For the FET, lupron. I always needed metric tons of progesterone. We got 4 day-5 embryos with good grading. The first iui I used clomid and it was not the best drug for me so she switched me to letrozole. At our first consult she recommended skipping iui due to our history but I wanted to do them (I wasn't ready for ivf yet). Probably should have skipped them.
I think Ashley is great. In 2019 this clinic was really busy and I don't think she ever missed anything.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I think they will do what it takes to get you success as long as you're willing/able. Test results are FAST (same day) and there is a lot of consistency in ultrasound techs, nurses, phlebotomists, front desk instead of feeling like you are seeing new people every time. It can sometimes be difficult to get appointments when you need them but it is less busy now than it was before covid--although I was never not able to get one at all, it was often not at a great time of day. Much more of a concern if your work can't be flexible with appts. My least favorite thing about FCI is that IVF is only at the downtown location.
We had insurance coverage and employer-sponsored fertility treatments. I don't know what cash prices were like. It seemed in line with what I would expect.
I never considered doing more than one embryo (and I was under 35) so I'm not sure.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
In over two years and dozens of appointments and prescriptions, almost nothing went wrong, and when it did, it wasn't the Buffalo Grove location. River North failed to call me to tell me my procedure time and then told me the wrong time when I called them after hours. Dr Rodgers fixed their mistake by rescheduling me. So I think that is a pretty good track record!
Buffalo Grove

Dr. Rodgers makes changes to try to give the best outcome. The second egg retrieval we made changes that helped retrieve more eggs. She's open to talking about supplements. She will go to bat for you if medically she thinks it worth perusing. I think she tries to do the right thing for each patient. I'm no just a number. ... My doctor suggested 1 and said we have a good chance if you'd done an ERA and the embroyo is PGT tested.
I travel to FCI so I saw Dr. Rodgers in the buffalo grove clinic and that is where my primary nurse is located, but for all my monitoring appointments I would go to Tinley Park clinic because it was closer to my house. Much less waiting at Tinley park and the staff are very compassionate people. ... Ashley [nurse] typically emails me information and responds quickly by that method. It was a little harder to get her on the phone if I wanted to talk.
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
She's great at answering questions, make sure you bring some because she doesn't always cover details unless directly asked-why do you think this treatment plan will be better for me, etc.
Dr. Rodgers is very compassionate. I was concerned about my stimulation (day 11) and not progressing as I'd hoped. My nurse coordinator tried to assure me that Dr. Rodgers was trying to give me the best chance by adding another day on to my stimulation plan. I emailed Dr. Rodgers directly and she called that night from her child's swim meet to discuss my concerns! Wow. She also went to bat for me when we ran into some bumps with our donor sperm. I believe she cares about our outcome.
1) Schoyer Ganirelix 175 Gonal F/150 Menopur-increase to 450 Gonal/F 2)Micro dose Lupron with 300 Gonal F/300 Menopur no changes made to stim doses
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Rupczynski, Stephanie Crissie, Patty)
Ashley typically emails me information and responds quickly by that method. It was a little harder to get her on the phone if I wanted to talk. She was generally on top of things and I believe passed items on to Dr. Rodgers when I asked her input too.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I used Attain $26,600 for two cycle program and FET transfers until one worked. We paid that amount and $10,000 in stimulate medications, $3000 in donor workup for sperm, $1,000 for FET medications
My doctor suggested 1 and said we have a good chance if you'd done an ERA and the embroyo is PGT tested. I'm aware of the health risks to both mom and baby with multiples and from past failures don't want to waste embroyos. Plus we signed up for Attain so the transfers are covered until one works.
Buffalo Grove
He was always there for us and would meet with us at any time and quickly answered all emails. After 9 miscarriages Dr Jacobs never gave up on us and was always willing to work with us and change our treatment plans...We were always given the choice of transferring one or two embryos...We had the best conversations and he was always there to listen.
I truly felt that [our Fertility Centers of Illinois nurse] was part of our journey and our happiness and sadness during difficult times was shared with her...No weakness, this is a great clinic! Wait time was quick, receptionists are all very friendly! InFertility is a difficult journey and this clinic makes it so much easier. I can’t say enough great things. I was part of fertility centers of Illinois for 3 years and I have all great feelings about the location despite the sadness and difficulty that comes with the journey
How was your experience with Laurence Jacobs at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
There is no way to explain the amazing experience that I had with dr jacobs. He was always there for us and would meet with us at any time and quickly answered all emails. After 9 miscarriages Dr Jacobs never gave up on us and was always willing to work with us and change our treatment plans. We saw a few other specialists during our time with Dr Jacobs and he was willing to work with anyone if it meant that we would get the answers and results of a heathy baby! In the end we were successful and had a beautiful baby girl thanks to dr Jacobs and the whole team at fertility centers of Illinois!
He is amazing and wants the best for each of his patients!
Dr. Jacobs is amazing. We had the best conversations and he was always there to listen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer melligan)
Jennifer, and all of the nursing staff was my favorite part of this difficult journey. I have absolute live for all of the staff but Jennifer was amazing. I truly felt that she was part of our journey and our happiness and sadness during difficult times was shared with her. I have never felt more comfortable or at ease with another nurse in my life. She is an amazing person
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
My insurance is very good so I didn’t have to worry about costs
We were always given the choice of transferring one or two embryos. Both unsuccessful transfers were with two embryos and our final, successful transfer was with one embryo

2018 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Rogers always made me feel heard and seen...Dr. Rogers is very confident in what she does. When things weren’t going as planned she always made me feel like everything would be okay - that we would reach our ultimate goal of becoming parents. She was again confident in the procedures she performed for me and always made me feel comfortable in such a whirlwind of an experience...
FCI [Fertility Centers of Illinois] is a great clinic overall. Everyone is amazingly friendly, phone calls are always answered or returned in a timely manner, they always had availability for me to fit my schedule and I never felt like I was just another patient to them...Stephanie [nurse] was amazing when it came to answering all my questions, getting me my meds on time and dealing with pharmacies for me...
How was your experience with Allison Rodgers at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Ask lots of questions and listen carefully. There is a lot of information being throw your way, but Dr Rogers and her team are there to consistently answer any questions or concerns.
Dr. Rogers always made me feel heard and seen. This current pregnancy was the result of a frozen embryo transfer and I always felt confident in the process and care I was receiving.
Stephanie was amazing when it came to answering all my questions, getting me my meds on time and dealing with pharmacies for me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI is a great clinic overall. Everyone is amazingly friendly, phone calls are always answered or returned in a timely manner, they always had availability for me to fit my schedule and I never felt like I was just another patient to them. They all truly care about your treatment plan.
Buffalo Grove

When we initially met him [Dr. Kaplan] he took the minimal amount of testing we had done to date at face value (labs for me and 1 SA for my husband). He quickly diagnosed our issue as MFI despite every single one of my ultrasounds having notes that stated both of my ovaries met the criteria for PCOS. He made no mention of this and made no adjustments to my protocol...It is clear that Dr. Kaplan is extremely intelligent but he is more of a salesman than he is a physician. In our initial consultation, he raved about how 'easy' our case was and was so bold as to promise it would not take much to get us pregnant. Unfortunately, in doing so he ignored blatant indicators in both my labs and imaging that I had PCOS. I was put on a generic protocol. Even when the protocol failed and we looked for reasons and potential causes he continued to ignore the notes in every single one of my ultrasounds on the condition of my ovaries.
There is a large staff at FCI and you rotate through whoever is on that day. Some are wonderful (Mimi, Caitlin, Jill) and some were just cold and came across as if you were inconveniencing them asking questions about triggers/labs/next steps...When our PGT results came in the lab tech called with the basic report...However, the only person FCI would allow to discuss those results with me was Dr. Kaplan and he did not have an appointment for 3 weeks.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Kaplan is not the right physician if the cause of your infertility is still unclear and if you want a protocol that is customized to your unique diagnosis. He does not do much in terms of work up and pushes hard for IVF as the first course of treatment even if underlying issues are still unclear. As a result, the protocol you're initially put on will not be tailored to you. If you feel strongly about using Dr. Kaplan (he is very nice and very warm) I can't stress enough how important it will be to advocate for yourself to do research on testing before starting your protocols. Despite the fact that he agreed with me (wholeheartedly) I had to ask for an ERA with only 1 embryo to transfer, I had to as for PGT testing, I had to ask for ICSI despite my husband's poor morphology. He has a cookie-cutter template and if you want a unique approach you will have to do the research and present it to him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
As time went on with our treatment it became clear that Dr. Kaplan's drive for a successful outcome was related more so to volume of success vs. % of patients with good outcomes. When we initially met him he took the minimal amount of testing we had done to date at face value (labs for me and 1 SA for my husband). He quickly diagnosed our issue as MFI despite every single one of my ultrasounds having notes that stated both of my ovaries met the criteria for PCOS. He made no mention of this and made no adjustments to my protocol.
Describe the protocols Brian Kaplan used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
When we came to Dr. Kaplan we believed our issue was MFI (poor morphology, good counts, and motility). We moved directly into two medicated IUIs. I am a hyper responder and got 3 follicles each cycle with just 5mg of Letrozole (he is not a Clomid fan). After both failed we moved to IVF. I did 21 days of birth control, 225 gonalF, and 75 menopur with an antagonist protocol. We did a Lupron trigger because my estrogen climbed very high and my retrieval yielded 40+ eggs. Only 14 were mature, 11 fertilized, 6 embryos and just 1 tested PGT normal. I believe this protocol was far too aggressive for a hyper responder like myself.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There is a large staff at FCI and you rotate through whoever is on that day. Some are wonderful (Mimi, Caitlin, Jill) and some were just cold and came across as if you were inconveniencing them asking questions about triggers/labs/next steps (Donna in particular). They have a great system for asking questions in the portal and getting a quick response but it was very luck of the draw on how thoroughly your question would be answered. For example, in our first IUI after a monitoring appointment they just emailed me and told me to trigger and call for an IUI on a certain date - that was it. The front desk had no instructions when I called and I had to follow up and ask what the protocol was for the day of (my husband's sample, arrival time, would the Dr be there? - he is not).
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It's a massive operation. There are pros and cons to that. Pros: it's easy to get in for a generic appointment (monitoring, imaging, labs), the nurses respond within 30-60 minutes in the portal Cons: because it is so big and because they take on SO many patients it's clear that everyone who works there is stressed - they are rude and short with you off the bat which just adds to the stress of infertility. Billing is a nightmare and it often feels like the right hand isn't talking to the left.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
When our PGT results came in the lab tech called with the basic report. She was unable to go into any detail (egg quality report, sperm quality report) anything that would have alluded to the underlying cause which I understand. However, the only person FCI would allow to discuss those results with me was Dr. Kaplan and he did not have an appointment for 3 weeks. We had to wait, knowing that nearly all of our embryos were not viable, for 3 weeks to learn about what happened and what we could do next. We lost a month in our transfer as a result
Chicago/River North

Dr. Rapisarda is a great physician...we were relieved and impressed by Dr. Rapisarda's communication style. He does not use a "one size fits all" approach. During our first interview he was warm and inquisitive. He wanted to arrive at a clear diagnosis and cause of our secondary infertility...He is very inquisitive and has an investigative approach to diagnosing and treating infertility
The [Fertility Centers of Illinois] clinic is accessible and comfortable. Appointments are easy to schedule through the patient portal. Occasionally you'll be put on hold on the phone to schedule an appointment. We had to transfer a frozen embryo here from another clinic. The embryologist was very cooperative and communicated well with us. One thing which we did not anticipate was seeing other doctors at the clinic for one of the ERA's and for our FET.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda's demeanor is professional, calm, and warm. He is very inquisitive and has an investigative approach to diagnosing and treating infertility. When he discovered that I had an isthmocele ( a c-section scar defect) he referred me to a surgeon. He let us know our treatment options, including an Endometrial Receptivity Test which assesses the best time to implant an embryo.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Come with a list of questions and he will be happy to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda is a great physician. After a poor experience with another IVF doctor, we were relieved and impressed by Dr. Rapisarda's communication style. He does not use a "one size fits all" approach. During our first interview he was warm and inquisitive. He wanted to arrive at a clear diagnosis and cause of our secondary infertility. He suspected that I had a ismothecele from my previous c-section, and he was correct.
Describe the protocols John Rapisarda used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
He performed a saline ultrasound to diagnosis an isthmocele. He then referred me to a surgeon to determine if an isthmocele repair was necessary or not. He performed an ERA at his office to assess the best day for an embryo transfer. For my FET and ERA, I was put on a protocol of estrogen pills 3x a day and a daily progesterone shot. After it was discovered that there was fluid in my uterus from the estrogen, he changed the protocol so that one of the estrogen pills was taken internally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jenna)
The nursing staff at FCI is compassionate, organized, and communicative. My nurse went out of town for a week which led to some difficultly with getting blood test results for a day, but other than that everything went very smoothly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic is accessible and comfortable. Appointments are easy to schedule through the patient portal. Occasionally you'll be put on hold on the phone to schedule an appointment. We had to transfer a frozen embryo here from another clinic. The embryologist was very cooperative and communicated well with us. One thing which we did not anticipate was seeing other doctors at the clinic for one of the ERA's and for our FET. I was very nervous about this but I ended up really liking both the doctors we saw, Dr. Marut and Dr. Sipe. I was impressed about how much Dr. Marut knew about my case. Dr. Sipe had a great bedside manner and performed the FET effortlessly. The one criticism I have for the clinic was that there was some miscommunication about the grade of my embryo, which had been fertilized at my previous clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
We're still waiting for our final bill. Our insurance paid for the first ERA.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There was some miscommunication about the grade of my embryo, which was fertilized and frozen at another clinic. My previous clinic used a previous grading system. This miscommunication caused a lot of anxiety since they gave me the impression that my embryo was poor quality. After speaking to my nurse, this miscommunication was cleared up. Another miscommunication happened when my nurse was out of town. I had blood drawn several times at a hospital outside of Chicago. The hospital faxed the results but the results were lost twice. I also did not receive my results or a phone call until the next day.
John Rapisarda
Chicago/River North

Dr. Kaplan is a true expert in his field. He is honest and warm but will not tell you a story just to tell a story. He understands your heart's desire to have a child and knew that I wanted to give it my all during this journey. He also respected my religious outlook and faith, and he seems to appreciate all faiths...but he emphasized that he does only take patients to increase his numbers.
[Fertility Centers of Illinois is] Well organized and efficient. Scheduling coordinator responds quickly. Everyone communicates together and works as a team. The ultrasound nurses are patient, compassionate, thorough and informative. Ilynne and the team coordinated PGS testing with the genetic lab so smoothly and seamlessly. The embryologist Anna played a large role and was always so compassionate, thorough, responsive and timely.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I understand that I'm not the ideal patient. I have had 2 natural pregnancies and losses and advanced maternal age with diminished ovarian reserves. However, Dr. Kaplan remained positive for me and optimistic during my cycles. But also remained very honest. I appreciate the fact that Dr. Kaplan performs all his own retrievals and transfers with his team of embryologists in Highland Park. So the retrieval and transfer dates are set each month. So you can plan your life around those set dates. Dr. Kaplan is also creative in his treatments. He changed the protocol for my 2nd cycle to improve my #'s. He is creative and adjusts the medications depending on my response. Prior to my 2nd cycle, my blood tests showed that I was not ready to proceed with stimulation. I expressed that I was disappointed but he told me to return in a couple days to test again. My numbers improved slightly and he allowed me to proceed with IVF. I really appreciated that he just didn't cancel me and have me wait another month but was understanding and compassionate to give me a 2nd chance.
You won't be able to see Dr. Kaplan often or hear from him directly, but you can trust his IVF coordination nurse Ilynne. Trust that he is reviewing your labwork and providing the best treatment even if you don't hear from him. If you have questions and need answers, be persistent with the nurses and they will communicate with Dr. Kaplan for you.
Dr. Kaplan is a true expert in his field. He is honest and warm but will not tell you a story just to tell a story. He understands your heart's desire to have a child and knew that I wanted to give it my all during this journey. He also respected my religious outlook and faith, and he seems to appreciate all faiths. He does not focus on the statistics at his clinic because he genuinely wants to help couples become parents. We were nervous that the clinic would reject us due to our age, but he emphasized that he does only take patients to increase his numbers. We appreciate and have faith in his mission to help us. He is creative in his protocols for IVF stimulation and will adjust depending on your response. That shows me that he is personalizing his treatment for each patient hoping for the best outcome.
1st cycle: Priming: Endometrin 3 times a day for 4 weeks prior to stimulation. Estrace pill once a day. Stimulation: 1) Follistim 450. 2) Menopur 150. 3) Microdose Leuprolide. 4) HCG. 5) Ovidrel trigger shot Retrieval: 10 eggs, 6 fertilized, 2 blastocyst sent for PGS testing. Both embryos returned as aneuploid. 2nd cycle: Priming: Endometrin 3 times a day and Estrace pill 1 times a day. Stimulation: Clomid for 12 days during stimulation. 1) Follistim 450. 2) Menopur 150. 3) HCG 4) Ganirelix 5) Ovidrel trigger shot Retrieval: 6 eggs. 3 fertilized. 3 blastocysts sent for PGS testing. All 3 returned as aneuploid. Awaiting to commence 3rd cycle. I also took the following OTC supplements: Prenatal Coq10 Ovasitol Probiotic Omega Fish Oil Vitamin D Magnesium/Calcium Melatonin Acupuncture and Yoga
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Ilynne McGovern)
Ilynne is sharp, smart, organized, attentive and the absolute best person to coordinate and manage your IVF journey. She has her team working efficiently. She always takes the time to call you and discuss with you when it is important. Several times I can tell she was talking to me from outside the clinic. That's how caring and attentive she is. She also responds by email and text which is so reassuring. She is a true expert in her field and is the perfect combination of business and medicine. I can tell that Dr. Kaplan and Ilynne are a phenomenal team together. The ultrasound nurses are also all rooting for you and that makes the journey a little better.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Well organized and efficient. Scheduling coordinator responds quickly. Everyone communicates together and works as a team. The ultrasound nurses are patient, compassionate, thorough and informative. Ilynne and the team coordinated PGS testing with the genetic lab so smoothly and seamlessly. The embryologist Anna played a large role and was always so compassionate, thorough, responsive and timely. Their lab, aParentIVF lab (for embryo freezing, biopsy and sperm freezing) also worked efficiently and very responsive and helpful. They even helped to negotiate with the genetic lab. Only negative was that 2 of the phlebotomists talked down to me because I was wearing a mask during the covid pandemic and I had to explain to them that it was a layer of protection for both of us, just like how they're wearing gloves. (before the clinic required masks) Kind of funny how they were condescending and asked "what's with the mask" as a medical professional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
For each cycle not covered by Insurance: Biopsy of embryo for genetic testing $2600, Freezing $1200, Thawing $200. Genetic Lab testing $2500. HCG Shots $700-800 Insurance Out of Pocket: $3k each year. 4 cycles retrievals covered by insurance. Vitamins/Acupuncture/Yoga out of pocket. $2k
Chicago/River North

If you are looking for a no-nonsense, fact based experience that gets results and don't need someone who is warm and fuzzy to deliver the good and bad news, Dr. Hirshfeld is a good option...I had diminished ovarian reserve and my husband had some motility issues. Dr. Hirshfeld prescribed some vitamins including Vitamin D and CoQ10 for each of us...I believe that Dr. Hirshfeld is well informed and I trusted her care. I wouldn't characterize her as a "warm" person, but rather she is straight to the point which for me was totally fine. I appreciated her direct answers, but I could see how some other women might need a warmer experience especially during such a trying moment in their lives.
She [nurse at Fertility Center of Illinois] spent as much time on the phone as I needed explaining in fine detail all of the next steps so that I could prepare my schedule and make sure we did everything correctly...The office has some issues. They felt unorganized and honestly is the reason I'm taking the time to write this review...we had a few issues with getting appointments set via the scheduler (Frank?) and also had an issue getting our final documents transferred to our midwives office when the time came.
How was your experience with Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
There is a slight "cattle being ushered through the field" feeling here. When we first came to FCI, I decided I didn't want to overwhelm myself with information from the internet and came to our first meeting(s) with no questions and an open mind. After some time, we felt like we were only being given the amount of information we needed at the moment, and after consulting with some other friends who had been through this process, we decided that we needed to be more pushy and advocate for ourselves harder. That resulted in a well planned out off-scheduled meeting with the doctor that was actually very helpful.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
I had diminished ovarian reserve and my husband had some motility issues. Dr. Hirshfeld prescribed some vitamins including Vitamin D and CoQ10 for each of us. I was prescribed Letrozole for 5 days, then after an ultrasound confirming I had a viable follicle I used the Ovidrel trigger shot and then took Prometrium every evening following. We had one unsuccessful IUI, but we got pregnant on the second try. I used Prometrium every evening until I was 9 weeks. I am now 16 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
I was very happy to be under Christina's care. Our first week we were with someone named Marny who was not very organized and was not a good communicator. When Christina took over we were relieved. She spent as much time on the phone as I needed explaining in fine detail all of the next steps so that I could prepare my schedule and make sure we did everything correctly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
This clinic seems somewhat unorganized. My nurse was really helpful in moving things along, but we had a few issues with getting appointments set via the scheduler (Frank?) and also had an issue getting our final documents transferred to our midwives office when the time came.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
My insurance is pretty good so much of my costs were covered. I think I only paid for the ultrasounds and the prescriptions. All in all, with two rounds of IUI I think we spent around $500. After the first unsuccessful IUI I did more research on IVF and that would have been considerably more, in the range of $5K-$8K, due mostly to the prescription drugs.

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
There were times I felt like she [ Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] was more interested in my partner's fertility chances than my own because my chances of going through a successful egg retrieval were low... However, at a recent appoint in the last 6 months, I felt like she started to "click" with us a bit better and really understood that my wife and I are both going through the fertility treatments as patients who might both conceive and not just a carrier and supporter. We have been seeing Dr. H for nearly 3 years and will stick with her through the remaining pursuit to have a baby.
nursing staff [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] were attentive, responsive and knowledgeable. I felt confident in the information they were providing and knew I would always get a response if I emailed a question... is run very efficiently - this is both a strength and a weakness. The strength part of this is you can get the appointments you need to proceed with your treatments, while also working and living your life. The weakness is that this can sometimes feel like you are just a number they call to perform another procedure. There are also times when things are running behind (30 mins+) and there is no apology/explanation,
Perhaps my opinion is schewed by the fact that both my wife and have each worked with Dr. Hirshfeld to try to get pregnant, and we have not yet gotten a healthy embryo to implant, but I often felt like I was a lower priority than my wife because my probability of producing healthy eggs was lower. This would manifest in time spent focused on my options during a consultation and how quickly she recommended moving on to only my wife attempting egg retrieval. However, at a recent appoint in the last 6 months, I felt like she started to "click" with us a bit better and really understood that my wife and I are both going through the fertility treatments as patients who might both conceive and not just a carrier and supporter. We have been seeing Dr. H for nearly 3 years and will stick with her through the remaining pursuit to have a baby. Despite some of the concerns I had about her interest in my fertility options (as opposed to my wife's), I trust her judgement and appreciate her compassionate approach to the ups and downs of the last couple of years. She also always took the time to explain the processes in great detail, in terms we could understand, was honest about the percentages of success for most procedures and took the time to answer questions.
Make sure she understands your family dynamic and that you ask questions if you feel unsure that all options have been explored or offered.
There were times I felt like she was more interested in my partner's fertility chances than my own because my chances of going through a successful egg retrieval were low.
I started an egg retrieval cycle following standard diagnostic tests and consultation. IUI was not an option because of a blocked tube. My bloodwork and ultrasounds revealed that my estrogen levels were very low and only 1 follicle per ovary reacted to the drugs. Per this info, Dr. H said we could not go through with the egg retrieval. We are now working to use an egg donor, and I have completed a new round of ultrasounds and bloodwork to prep for this process. I am now on birth control pills to regulate my cycle while determine the egg donor and associated paperwork.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marni)
Marni and Dr. H's nursing staff were attentive, responsive and knowledgeable. I felt confident in the information they were providing and knew I would always get a response if I emailed a question.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI is run very efficiently - this is both a strength and a weakness. The strength part of this is you can get the appointments you need to proceed with your treatments, while also working and living your life. The weakness is that this can sometimes feel like you are just a number they call to perform another procedure. There are also times when things are running behind (30 mins+) and there is no apology/explanation, or even acknowledgement that they are running behind. Efficient, but not always personal. However, when you need to go for an ultrasound and blood work each morning of a week, and you can get the appointment you need before work and are in and out in 30 minutes, generally you can count on FCI to make it happen. I also find that the nurses and office staff to do acknowledge any person accompanying a patient for treatment. In my case, my wife would be with me for many appointments (or I would go with my wife for appointments), and as the nurse or office staff would call your name to go to the procedure - they would never acknowledge or greet the non-patient. I find this odd, since in many, if not most scenarios, the non-patient is likely a partner or spouse, who feel every bit as much patient as the actual patient through this process.
We are lucky that we have insurance that covers some of the costs associated with fertility, but only to a point and for so many attempts. I feel that the cost most glaring was tied to the storage of sperm and/or embryos. That was a significant cost for us during this process and it is not covered by insurance. This is especially difficult to get a large bill like that following an egg retrieval that results in abnormal embryos that need to be destroyed (or used in research). Long-term storage of embryos or sperm seems reasonable, but short-term storage while viability is determined seems unfair.
Describe Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
No comments as it is not relevant to my treatment to date.

2016 - 2022, Successful
For my husband and me, Dr. Hirshfeld was the ideal blend of science-backed guidance and empathy for the patient. I never felt like "just a number" with her...Dr. Hirshfeld went out of her way to call me and hold space for me and any questions that I had. This meant so much...I always felt like I was in very good hands with her. She also was open to offering alternative treatments suggestions to assist / enhance the IVF process -- such as Chinese acupuncture. She is highly respected as a fertility doctor in Chicago for her knowledge and expertise -- I trust her and highly recommend her to friends who are looking for pursue fertility treatments...She gave us the facts of single versus multiple, and there was very little "steering" as to what she would recommend until I asked her point-blank
The things that went "wrong" with FCI had to do with the Financial Team. They were so disorganized and terrible with follow-up. My husband and I had to constantly email / call them to verify things -- not to mention FIX mistakes. The same empathy and organization that I experienced on the medical side did not translate to the administrative side...I always had lovely interactions with my doctor (Dr. Hirshfeld), her nursing team, the ultrasound techs, and those who administered labs
She is the ideal balance of science-backed guidance + empathy. I always felt like I was in very good hands with her. She also was open to offering alternative treatments suggestions to assist / enhance the IVF process -- such as Chinese acupuncture. She is highly respected as a fertility doctor in Chicago for her knowledge and expertise -- I trust her and highly recommend her to friends who are looking for pursue fertility treatments.
Stay open, come with questions, know that you're in great hands with her. <3
For my husband and me, Dr. Hirshfeld was the ideal blend of science-backed guidance and empathy for the patient. I never felt like "just a number" with her, nor with her nursing team. Even when we had a few unanticipated hiccups with our journey, Dr. Hirshfeld went out of her way to call me and hold space for me and any questions that I had. This meant so much. The doctors and nurses at FCI are overwhelmed with caseload, so I took this very much to heart with all of my interactions while undergoing treatment. While IVF and the fertility journey was an understandably emotional time for ME, I also held empathy for those handling my care and did my best to keep a positive attitude and surround myself with support.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I feel like almost every fertility clinic is subject to reviews that will say "I felt like a number." FCI certainly has its share of those reviews. However, I never felt this way. I always had lovely interactions with my doctor (Dr. Hirshfeld), her nursing team, the ultrasound techs, and those who administered labs. My only major grievance was with the FCI financial team -- they were so disorganized and not helpful unless pressed. There seems to be a big disconnect in quality in medical care (excellent!) vs. the administrative team (poor) at FCI, something that I communicated to my doctor.
She gave us the facts of single versus multiple, and there was very little "steering" as to what she would recommend until I asked her point-blank. Given my age and the increased risk for miscarriage and complications, my husband and I opted to move forward with a single embryo transfer.

2020 - 2021, Successful
He [Dr. Alvarez] was honest with me and giving me realistic expectations, but at the same time gave me hope that he could successfully get us our own genetically normal embryos (which he did). Another strength is his communication. He personally would call me with updates on certain important parts of each process...
Rebecca was my nurse [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] through most of time with Dr. Alvarez's office. She ensured that I got all of my prescription medications ordered in a timely manner... The biggest issue was trying to schedule appointments... sometimes you could get through to the front desk and sometimes you couldn't...
How was your experience with Juan Alvarez at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Alvarez's strengths include being honest yet empathetic to his patients. He was my second opinion after failing 3 rounds of IVF with my first RE. I appreciated that he stated that he would do everything in his power to get us a baby using our own embryo but also stated that I realistically needed to consider using donor eggs too if things don't work out. He made that statement after knowing my history of DOR and poor egg quality (among other issues). I know a lot of women who do not appreciate donor eggs being brought up on consultation, but that made me trust him even more. He was honest with me and giving me realistic expectations, but at the same time gave me hope that he could successfully get us our own genetically normal embryos (which he did). Another strength is his communication. He personally would call me with updates on certain important parts of each process, something my first RE never once did. If I missed his call, he would try calling me back a few times in the day (one time he called me 4 times in one day) to ensure that he gave me an update and to make sure all of my questions were answered. Another strength is his up-to-date knowledge and best practices in all things RE. He graduated from his fellowship a few years ago and is up to date on all the of the latest best-evidence research on how to achieve your goals of creating a family. I firmly believe that his recent training contributed to our success. He is also just a very sweet and kind human being. My husband and I loved every interaction with him... he's just so sweet and positive! I honestly have no weaknesses to describe of him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Juan Alvarez at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Trust his process. IVF in general is a long, arduous journey, but he truly has your best interest at heart. My first embryo transfer failed, and we were all so perplexed because I had such a high chance of success given all of the testing we had done prior to the transfer (ERA, Receptiva, HSG, saline sonogram, etc). But Dr. Alvarez explained that these transfers sometimes fail and we will never know why. When I asked him what we were going to do differently for the next transfer, he said he didn't want to do anything different... that everything was perfect last time. That was a very hard answer to hear and to come to terms with, but we trusted him. We did the exact same protocol for our second transfer and it worked! I'm currently over 13 weeks pregnant. In all, trust his judgment. He truly wants the very best for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Juan Alvarez at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
We went to Dr. Alvarez for a second opinion after we had 3 failed rounds of IVF with our original reproductive endocrinologist (RE). I suffer from diminished ovarian reserve (DOR) and poor egg quality, and I read that DOR was one of the areas that Dr. Alvarez was skilled at managing. Immediately upon meeting him, I knew he would be our best shot at getting genetically normal embryos and hopefully a child. He took the time to answer all of our questions, and was sympathetic to our situation. Much to our surprise, Dr. Alvarez also frequently personally reached out to us by phone with updates on how things are progressing (this is something my first RE never once did). He takes the time to answer all of your questions, and is very kind, sweet, and thoughtful on top of it all. My husband and I loved every encounter we had with Dr. Alvarez, and it brought tears to our eyes to say goodbye when we graduated to being cared for by our OB. Dr. Alvarez is truly a gifted and talented RE, and an amazing all around human who we cannot recommend enough. Thank you, Dr. Alvarez!
Describe the protocols Juan Alvarez used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
Before switching to Dr. Alvarez, my previous RE had maxed me out on Follistim (450/day) and Menopur (150/day), Omnitrope priming, and had me on Ovasital and CoQ10. He did on micro flare protocol too. All of these methods failed to produce any genetically normal embryos. When I switched to Dr. Alvarez, he did a gentler approach with these medications and put me on low doses. My Follistim was 100 twice a day (once in the morning and once at night), Menopur 75/day, and he added I believe 5 days of Clomid. Before starting a cycle, he would also put me on birth control pills for 10-14 days. Then I would prime with estrogen and omnitrope before starting the stim medications. I had major success with Dr. Alvarez's method, as I think my follicles responded better to a slower, gentler stimulation to gradually grow my follicles/eggs rather than being blasted with the highest doses of everything. Dr. Alvarez was able to get me a total of 3 genetically normal embryos... something we never imagined would happen!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca)
Rebecca was my nurse through most of time with Dr. Alvarez's office. She ensured that I got all of my prescription medications ordered in a timely manner, so that was a big relief as this part of the IVF process can be extremely stressful and time sensitive. She was prompt to respond to my questions, and always relayed my results from any labs/US from the day along with updated plans. Sometimes she can come off as cold or rude, but I didn't let that bother me because she got the job done and done well. She congratulated me on my pregnancy and told me nice story of how her and Dr. Alvarez were cheering and jumping up and down when the labs indicated a positive pregnancy test for me, so I know she does enjoy her job. I never had to worry about communication, lab results, plans, prescriptions, anything really with Rebecca as my nurse. This takes away SO much of the stress associated with the IVF process.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I didn't actually go to Dr. Alvarez's clinic very often, only for procedures, as I live in the North Suburbs and the River North clinic is about a 30-45 minute drive depending on traffic. The few times I went there, all of the front desk staff, nursing staff, sonography staff, and phlebotomy staff were all wonderful and pleasant to work with. I mainly went to the Glenview clinic for all of my IVF labs/ultrasounds/monitoring and I just love everyone there like family. All of the staff knew me by name and knew my situation, and were my biggest cheerleaders. I miss seeing them every week! With any clinic, sometimes the wait to get your labs or ultrasound done could be an issue but it wasn't very frequent. The biggest issue was trying to schedule appointments... sometimes you could get through to the front desk and sometimes you couldn't.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Juan Alvarez at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Our costs were minimal because we bought a BCBS marketplace plan for myself. After we paid $8,000 out of pocket, we didn't have to pay for anything else other than genetic testing (total of $1000) and freezing and storage ($750). So we paid a total of $9,750 for the entire year. We met that deductible within 3 months via medications and two retrievals.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I had a portal message that stated my Vitamin D levels were extremely low and to start taking a very large dose of vitamin D daily and come back for a recheck in 6 weeks. I had just had my vit D levels drawn 2 weeks before and they were in the high normal range. I messaged them back asking them if this could have been an error or if they could re-draw the lab again because that did not make sense. A lab technician messaged me back and apologized because that message was supposed to be sent to my husband and not me. This was the only concerning event I encountered, yet it could have had serious implications if I was not already aware of my vitamin D levels along with the fact that you can overdose on vitamin D. Could have been a dangerous situation.

2021, Consult
After 7 weeks of Dr. Alvarez and Rebecca [Dr. Alvarez's nurse] and two missed opportunities for cycles, I decided to switch to Dr. Kaplan in the same practice...I never proceeded with a cycle with Dr. Alvarez because the simple process of ordering prescriptions was never able to be completed...The whole experience made me feel like an inconvenience to them, not like a patient....
Now that I've switched to Dr. Kaplan [at Fertility Centers of Illinois], I find that communication is excellent, appointments occur on time and are very efficient, things are easy to schedule, and they make everything easy to understand...After 7 weeks of Dr. Alvarez and Rebecca and two missed opportunities for cycles, I decided to switch to Dr. Kaplan in the same practice. His nurses got me completely squared away within 36 hours of my first appointment with him, and I started my cycle just a week later.
How was your experience with Juan Alvarez at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Things with Dr. Alvarez started out well. We had an initial consult during which he was empathetic, patient, and detailed in explaining what next steps would be given that my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve probably came as a shock at my age. We then ordered some testing and he walked me through the results and my options in a follow up conversation in a thoughtful and sensible way, making sure I had no questions. That's where the good experience ended. Separately, in the nursing section, I provide detail on what happened over the next five weeks with his nurse. Working with her for over a month, I couldn't get the requisite attention from her to even successfully order the prescriptions necessary to accomplish the egg retrieval, and missed two opportunities for egg freezing cycles in the process. At this point, I decided to loop in Dr. Alvarez. In a telehealth appointment, I explained to him everything that had happened with Rebecca, his nurse, and told him it had been 5 weeks just trying to get medications ordered and I was losing faith in their ability to oversee a complicated and time sensitive process. He had emphasized that time was of the essence for me to do this freezing procedure and so I asked for his help in giving Rebecca more supervision and making sure we were able to proceed. Although I made it clear that I felt my experience with her went beyond the typical complicated insurance dance of fertility treatment, which I was familiar with and knew what to expect, he did not seem willing to accept that Rebecca had done anything wrong. He excused Rebecca's inattention to detail and lack of responsiveness by explaining that they have many patients to balance and that insurance can be complicated so hiccups are to be expected. He explained Rebecca's perspective to me, which was that everything had been lined up and ready to go for weeks and she didn't know why I was saying that there was a problem. I encouraged him to look at the messages we had traded back and forth, which he has access to, as well as the record of the prescriptions she'd called in for me and what she hadn't called in, to see that her version of events was clearly not supported by the facts. He continued to resist any implication that the delays in my treatment were somehow Rebecca's or his fault, or that any mistakes had been made so far, although he did admit that he was concerned that at one point she had lied to me about having done a task I asked her to do, which she had not done. I began to feel like his priority was in protecting himself and Rebecca, not providing quality care to me particularly in light of the time sensitive nature of my diagnosis. During this appointment I also asked him a medical question about what could have caused my diagnosis. He at first gave me a very confident answer, however, moments later, he interrupted my response to that answer and said that he was just now looking at some medical articles online that indicated that actually maybe the answer was more nuanced than what he'd said moments before. I was a bit unnerved that he would answer so confidently if he wanted to do some research, instead of simply saying that he needed to look into it and get back to me. My problems with Rebecca continued for another two weeks after I looped in Dr. Alvarez, and I describe those further details below in the nurse section. If Dr. Alvarez did discuss with her and intervene, it did not have any obvious impact on Rebecca's ability to run things to ground effectively, and he never followed up with me to see if we were ready for a cycle or if things had improved. After 7 weeks of Dr. Alvarez and Rebecca and two missed opportunities for cycles, I decided to switch to Dr. Kaplan in the same practice. His nurses got me completely squared away within 36 hours of my first appointment with him, and I started my cycle just a week later. I only mention that to underscore the point that what I experienced with Dr. Alvarez and Rebecca was truly not typical and went beyond the normal insurance dance with infertility treatment. The whole experience made me feel like an inconvenience to them, not like a patient.
Go to Dr. Kaplan instead.
See further comments below.
After my initial consult and blood work with Dr. Alvarez, I was handed over to his nurse, Rebecca, who was to submit prior authorizations to my insurance and get prescriptions ordered. First, she told me that my insurance company needed me to call them to provide my insurance card information to them. When I called the insurance company, they had no idea what I was talking about or why she had told me to do that. Then, she failed to submit a prior authorization for one of my medications after being reminded twice to do it, and when she finally submitted it, she accidentally submitted two, one of which was incorrect, and asked me to call my insurance and correct it, which they wouldn't accept since such an order has to come from a medical professional. When two of my prior authorizations were denied, I asked her to submit the appeal paperwork that the insurance company was requesting as the insurance agents explained that I did meet the qualifications for coverage but had to submit some extra paperwork explaining the grounds for which I qualified for coverage. She told me she submitted it and I should hear back from my insurance company soon. 10 days later I learned that she had not submitted it at all when I called my insurance company to request a status update. Meanwhile, I'd had a blood test and other testing done a month prior that I hadn't gotten results for. I asked her to release them to me, and she did, with no interpretation whatsoever, no reference ranges for normal values, etc. At that point, it had been five weeks of going back and forth with Rebecca and we still didn't have my prescription situation ironed out with either the pharmacy or my insurance company. I looped in Dr. Alvarez at that stage as noted above. I then coordinated with my insurance company on my own and sent Rebecca extremely detailed instructions on what to send in respect of my appeals and where and how to send it in (fax). She sent me a message the next day saying that the insurance company wouldn't accept the appeal over the phone so she didn't know what to do, which was frustrating since I had done all the legwork and provided her with instructions to make the process as easy as possible on her, and had just told her as part of those instructions that they needed it by fax. A week later, she told me she successfully submitted the appeals. I asked her to send me a copy of what she sent in. When she sent it to me, it was completely non-compliant with what my insurance company required and did not reflect any of the instructions I had given her in terms of what should be included in the letter. Further, I called my insurance company two days later to find out how to proceed, and they said she had never even sent it, although she said she had. This was now the second time she had told me she filed something that she didn't actually file. I redrafted the letter for her, asked her to have Dr. Alvarez sign it, she said she would ask him. She then stopped responding to my messages altogether, and I never heard from her or Dr. Alvarez again. At this point, it had been 7 weeks of this, and as noted above, I switched to Dr. Kaplan and had a great experience.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
This Clinic is fantastic. Now that I've switched to Dr. Kaplan, I find that communication is excellent, appointments occur on time and are very efficient, things are easy to schedule, and they make everything easy to understand.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
See above - all of my issues were due to Rebecca, Dr. Alvarez's nurse, and Dr. Alvarez. Dr. Kaplan and his nurses, and everyone else at FCI, have been absolutely delightful to work with.

Embryo Freezing
This doctor [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] may not be the best fit if you are a woman who has fertility issues that require close monitoring or if you need a personalized treatment plan...Miscommunications over treatment with Dr. Hirshfeld played a significant role in my negative experience...I found Dr H very polite but somewhat indirect
I don’t believe FCI is a sophisticated clinic that can address my issues. I certainly didn’t feel appropriately educated about or confident in my treatment plan...The clinic is what you would expect for a large institution. You won't get to know your ultrasound techs, nurses or even see your doctor for any of the procedures.
Miscommunications over treatment with Dr. Hirshfeld played a significant role in my negative experience with FCI. My husband and I had two initial meetings over zoom with Dr H to discuss egg/ embryo freezing/ transfer options. I found Dr H very polite but somewhat indirect. She explained that my TSH was high (3.19) and my AMH was low (0.5) but that was pretty standard for women my age. She showed me numerous charts and graphs about the decline of fertility over time for women in their late 30’s (I’m 38). She explained that to get the optimal number of viable eggs, with my low AMH, we are looking at multiple cycles. Nothing in those conversations ever seemed prohibitive. She did tell me numerous times that low AMH would make the process harder but if the cycle fails, the plan would be to continue with additional months of stimulation and retrieval. I did not want to pursue IUI because of the low success rate, so for my first round we opted for an IVF cycle to retrieve eggs, fertilize, conduct genetic testing, and transfer. I was given Follistim 225u, Menopur 225u, Dexamethasone 0.5mg and 250 mcg of Ganirelix beginning day 5. I triggered on day 12 with HCG. I grew 4 follicles on my right (17.4m, 26.6m, 22.1m, 16.6m) and 3 follicles on my left (18.3m, 10.7m, 9.5m). The results from the retrieval were 3 oocytes: 2 did not mature and 1 did not fertilize. I was not surprised when the cycle did not yield any viable embryos as this was predicted and my assumption was that we would just continue additional rounds of treatment. In fact, the day after I learned of the results, Dr H called me and said, “don’t worry because there are at least 4 additional aggressive protocols we can try.” A few weeks later my husband and I had a meeting with her to discuss next steps and this is where my confusion with Dr. H begins. During this conversation, Dr. H said I was resistant to the medication and my response was low- even though in our initial conversation she correctly predicted I would only yield 3-5 eggs based on age/ AMH. She stated that the dosage of medications I was given was the maximum for women with “poor reserve” and that if treatment goes the same way this next round, IVF is not a good option and we should consider donor eggs. When I asked why her assessment seemed in conflict with the charts, that she took care to show me in our previous meetings that outlined the necessity for numerous cycles, she said those numbers no longer apply to me because I couldn’t create a single embryo. She declared although my AMH is 0.5 I have the eggs of a 44-year-old woman. When I asked her why the medication was not adjusted at all during the cycle to account for any of these obstacles, she stated again I was on the maximum dose of all medications. (I later learned that I was not on the maximum doses, but it was a refrain Dr H would continue to tell me throughout the second IVF cycle). Needless to say, these contradictions shattered my confidence in the process. This should have been the most delicate conversation and instead I walked away totally demoralized, confused, and feeling like I was being “blamed” for the outcome. Additionally, the suggestion of donor eggs after one failed IVF cycle felt completely premature. For my second IVF round I was put on estrogen priming then MD Lupron 20 units in the AM and PM, 225 unit of Follistim SQ, 225 units of Menopur SQ and 0.3 ml of the Omnitrope SQ for 4 days. Around day 4 Follistim was increased to 300, then 375 and eventually 425 for days 13 and 14 (see previous statement about being on max doses). I also received bi-weekly acupuncture. Ultimately, I only grew 2 follicles on the left (18.2m and 17.7m) and 2 follicles on the right (21.0m and 12.8m). During a blood draw towards the end of the cycle, a random nurse looked at my chart and suggested I switch to IUI to save the expense of the retrieval. Days later, this recommendation was echoed by Dr H in a zoom appointment. She said we could go forward with IVF if I wanted to, but the response would likely be the same. With such a banal recommendation, I knew I could no longer continue with FCI for my treatments. I agreed to the IUI in order to quickly bring the cycle to an end. The IUI ultimately failed. In addition to this failure of communication, I was never given a diagnosis for my fertility issues other than DOR. I later found, by requesting my full medical records, that the ultrasound techs documented on numerous occasions “Nabothian cysts” and “known myomas” which was never disclosed to me. This seems like something important a doctor might discuss with their patient, regardless of its impact or importance. I think the moral of my story here is that if you are like me- in your late 30’s with a somewhat unsophisticated understanding of fertility, any conversations about plan, treatment, or options must be had with the utmost care and consideration. It’s not enough to say a doctor just doesn’t have a good “bedside manner” and its’ certainly never ok for patients to walk away confused, demoralized or feeling blamed for their infertility. It is also unacceptable to rely on the category of “unexplained infertility” when other possible barriers have not even been discussed. My case appears to be one with significant complications. But based on this experience, I don’t believe FCI is a sophisticated clinic that can address my issues. I certainly didn’t feel appropriately educated about or confident in my treatment plan. The only hope I have is the possibility of obtaining a second opinion from a doctor who might be better suited to address my specific needs.
This doctor may not be the best fit if you are a woman who has fertility issues that require close monitoring or if you need a personalized treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic is what you would expect for a large institution. You won't get to know your ultrasound techs, nurses or even see your doctor for any of the procedures. Probably a fine place if you are younger, looking to just store some eggs away, and have no other complicated fertility issues. I've had to correct some of the nurses on what medications I'm taking, I've been unable to schedule routine blood/ultrasound appointments, the phones weren't working for a while, and there was a time when the office transitioned to another location and I didn't get the memo so had to rush between the old and new space so as to not miss my appointment. All these things can be overlooked if you feel like your doctor is on your side. When you don't feel supported, it all adds up.
2020: Complete Workup, Bloodwork, Self-Pay Appts w DR H, Self-Pay Natera genetics testing. TOTAL: $2,430.95. 2021: Loan for meds to meet out of pocket insurance max, acupuncture, specialty pharmacy for meds not covered by insurance. TOTAL: $10,758. Estimated total billed to insurance: around $50k

2020, Unsuccessful
I didn't have the chance to meet the nurses that emailed or called about test / lab results [from Fertility Centers of Illinois]. They only communicated with me via the portal and phone calls. Usually, I was contacted by a nurse by late afternoon for certain results and then instructions provided if necessary. Other nurses / techs handled doing the ultrasounds and blood draws and were kind in person. There are not enough nursing staff to handle the number of patients under FCI care. Several nurses moved on during t
How was your experience with Christopher Sipe at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr Sipe can be considered a nice, caring, friendly, knowledgeable fertility doctor. Many patients believe he's amazing and dedicated to helping them become pregnant. However, this doctor didn't show that same dedication, compassion, hope, and heart for wanting to help me become pregnant. It's hard to ever meet or have an appt with Dr Sipe unless you have surgery or a procedure scheduled, especially during the Covid years. Dr Sipe acted like it was an inconvenience to have a phone call. He doesn't accept email either from patients even though the company newsletter encouraged emailing your doctor. I did have a couple Zoom video calls that included nice conversations with the doctor, but I do not feel this platform is the same kind of connection as an in-person or phone call consult. I didn't feel as much compassion was given towards myself and my file in the same way as other content patients. Dr Sipe chose to not listen to comments about issues with how the office staff communicated and handled paperwork with some of the patients, which I believe he should have stepped up to assist his staff to manage. One positive mention is that I felt cared for and safe having surgery done by Dr Sipe. The nurse anesthetist Dan did a great job administering anesthesia also. One great day of care can't replace or make up for the many days of various communication and paperwork issues that occurred with some of his staff on my file. Dr Sipe should have some respect of his patients' honest truths, as several of my file's issues and the treatment of some staff towards me were presented to Dr Sipe and dismissed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Sipe at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
My advice for prospective patients of Dr Sipe is to only have a consult if you have a healthy body in general. Write down all your questions in advance of your consult because he’s very hard to reach, as you’ll mostly be having communication with his nurses and office staff. During the consult, make sure to find out exactly the type of other doctor appointments and prerequisites required (ex: a primary care physical, mammogram, or missing shots) from the doctor in order for him to allow you to do the fertility treatments and when appts need to be completed. Write this info down. Otherwise, his staff do not provide a worksheet of medical prereqs needed and this will take precious months of your time. Advise the doctor the qualities you need as far as dedication and caring toward your goals, and not the goals that influence the office pregnancy stats. Encourage this doctor to not play the wait-and-see game when it comes to deciding on IUI or IVF protocols / plans. Be prepared to do extra outside office work for his staff on your own time, especially if you're having records transfered there because the office staff misplaces records and signed docs often.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Sipe at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Several issues with FCI keep continuing thru the years which make a patient feel like a number. Before Covid the waiting rooms did look like a baby making factory, as others have noted, because they were packed. With the Covid 2020 year, each patient does not see that many other patients due to social distancing while waiting for appts. There are not enough staff to handle the number of patients under FCI care. Several nurses moved on during the Covid 2020 year to work at other medical places, thus making some current nurses and techs overwhelmed. It's hard to ever meet with your doctor or be allowed a phone call with them, unless you have surgery or a procedure. This means there isn't enough personal connection if phone calls and emails are not allowed with the doctors. Zoom video calls do not feel like the same kind of connection as an in-person or phone call consult. Patients who went to FCI a few years ago and came back for a second sibling cycle in 2020 stated in online groups they were upset that the personal connection was lost due to having to connect thru the portal and not via regular emails or phone calls. There is also an outsourced third party billing team that can't handle mailing bills to all the patients' addresses. Some patients get called a liar when staff call just days before surgery or a procedure demanding payment even though bills were not received. They need to stop using their third party outsourced billing team because it's causing problems that FCI prefers to not address. One positive mention of FCI is that I felt cared for and attended to by the doctor and O.R. staff on surgery day; plus the O.R. clinic appeared to run smoothly. Sadly, there are many other days of the year where I felt some of their staff didn't show compassion and kindness towards me. One great day of care can't replace the other hundred plus days with poor communication, blame to the patient, and needing to take care of paperwork issues that should fall under their staff responsibilities.
Describe the protocols Christopher Sipe used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
I had the hysteroscopy surgery in summer to remove uterus polyps. Then we moved towards an IUI due to low egg reserve. It wasn't until the winter months when my body was ready for the IUI due to a few setbacks, so the initial protocol was changed. The IUI protocol changed into doing Follistim injections for several nights plus oral Letrizole for five days instead of doing Estrogen priming first. This plan didn't work and the cycle was canceled, so now I am focused on Estrogen priming first.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Abby, Ashlie, and Christina)
I didn't have the chance to meet the nurses that emailed or called about test / lab results. They only communicated with me via the portal and phone calls. Usually, I was contacted by a nurse by late afternoon for certain results and then instructions provided if necessary. Other nurses / techs handled doing the ultrasounds and blood draws and were kind in person. There are not enough nursing staff to handle the number of patients under FCI care. Several nurses moved on during the Covid 2020 year to work at other medical places and the remaining nurses seem overwhelmed. There are also communication and kindness issues with some nurses plus staff delaying responses and providing some unkind, dishonest comments they made to the doctor on myself and other patients. Patients should be allowed to voice an opinion to staff without being blamed for providing the truth on issues and then have unpleasant attitudes directed at them. As other patients have mentioned, I too can confirm that patients need to micromanage staff as paperwork is constantly getting misplaced. The nurses and office staff choose to place blame on many patients several times, and even claimed my signed docs went missing when I emailed them to a nurse who requested them. The nursing staff and director also can't keep up with scripts and do not focus on details when contacting the Walgreens pharmacists, which then results in meds not getting shipped during a cycle.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Some strengths include many knowledgeable doctors to choose from, several locations, fairly easy to schedule monitoring appts, and the O.R. ran smoothly the day of my surgery. Zoom video calls are the norm for consults since Covid. Emails are frowned upon and communication is mostly done thru the portal. Though, nurses do sometimes call for certain ultrasound and lab results. Weaknesses include waiting several weeks or months for a doctor consult, doctors not accepting email from patients, documentation issues, billing issues, and staff causing unnecessary issues by not providing detailed info when calling Walgreens Alliance which leads to meds not shipping to patients’ homes in time for their cycle. Documentation issues and misplaced paperwork happen with many patients. There are transferred records and other signed document forms that get misplaced even when they are emailed and/or sent on disk. There were times I didn't feel as much caring given towards myself and my file in the same way other patients described their caring, involved doctor who worked diligently to help them get pregnant. Not all patients receive equal care, kindness, and compassion from staff. The in-house billing team is slow with insurance approvals and answering cost questions when they should be known. Therefore, I would encourage new patients to seek out all possible treatment, labs, analysis, and ultrasound cost options upfront. Patients should be provided the self-pay costs upfront without having to request or beg for this info, no matter if they have diagnostic and/or fertility insurance coverage.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Sipe at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I had to pay approx. $2400 total to FCI over the course of the year for blood labs and ultrasounds, using insurance. I paid Labcorp, which bills separately for genetics testing, the cost of $331 for the blood draw done at FCI. Then I paid $1700 to FCI plus $546 anesthesia costs to Lakeshore Anesthesia for my hysteroscopy, with my PPO plan. Since I met my deductible by the time of the IUI cycle, I didn’t have to pay for the Follistim injectable meds. However, if I had attempted the IUI four months earlier Walgreens Alliance were going to charge $2600 for the first two Follistim vials shipped and then remainder vials shipping would be free since the deductible would have then been met. My cycle was canceled halfway thru, but my insurance would have paid for IUI costs since I met the deductible.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Plenty of issues, of which many were preventable, occurred at FCI. ***Staff misplaced the records transferred into FCI several times; Poor communication between nurses / director when they were looking for signed docs another nurse received in her files, yet I was blamed; Staff blaming patients for billing and/or paperwork issues when it's clearly related to office run issues; Billing / Finance team didn't provide self pay costs upfront; 3rd party billing team didn’t mail bills for months yet it somehow was my fault; Office didn't provide a written list of prerequisite other medical appts along with timeline; Staff didn’t want to contact Walgreens pharmacy for vaccine proof; Fertility med script issues with Walgreens Alliance being able to handle scripts and shipping on time due to FCI med staff not paying attention to details thus resulting in delayed shipping; doctors / staff don't show compassion and helpfulness to all patients equally Patients should be able to voice honest opinions and truths without being silenced and disrespected. Patients do speak to one another online and know these mentioned issues.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Hirshfeld took the time to listen to my story and address my concerns. She provided facts and research while answering my questions. She adjusted my treatment plan after failed attempts. She was clear and precise. ... Visits with Dr. Hirshfeld were to the point but yet I never felt rushed when in a consultation. She was always willing to explain and answer questions.
Strengths [of FCI]: knowledgeable and kind Weaknesses/Concerns: I was called and told I was not pregnant before I even completed an IUI. The 2nd IUI I had a young nurse being supervised and told what to do performed the insert and messed up on clamp and then said “oh no” when pulling out the cath. Saying some may have come out. ... They [nurses]responded quickly to the email portal and always willing to call back in timely manner when questions needed answering
Be prepared with questions; as she can not help you if she doesn’t know your concerns.
I began my journey a few years ago with the hopes of preserving my eggs for future use. I went through hormone shots to increase the number of follicles. And now have 6 eggs in freezer. About a year ago I went back to start my journey to motherhood. At that time my bloodwork came back that my thyroid levels were to high so was put on medicine. She then did the saline ultrasound and told me I had polyps within my uterus. I would then have surgical procedure to have them done. I was given a vaginal pill to thin my lining the morning of the procedure within 1 hr I was having every side effect I could related to that drug. They took me back flush my iv to clear the drug and then put me under. Before the surgery I was told it would be 15mins but 4hrs later i was able to go home. (partially cause of all the allergic reaction). Originally they said they would scrap the fee polyps but when I woke up I was told there were way more then they thought so they performed a full D&C. A few months later I decided to pick a sperm donor and start the iui process. The 4 trials I always took clomid the first 2 were same dosage the 3rd time she up’d the dosage and the 4th she added a hormone shot.
They responded quickly to the email portal and always willing to call back in timely manner when questions needed answering
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths: knowledgeable and kind Weaknesses/Concerns: I was called and told I was not pregnant before I even completed an IUI. The 2nd IUI I had a young nurse being supervised and told what to do performed the insert and messed up on clamp and then said “oh no” when pulling out the cath. Saying some may have come out.
IUI treatments monthly roughly cost me $1500 out of pocket after insurance.

2015 - 2020, Unsuccessful
He is very busy and not very accessible; most communication is done through the nurses [FCI]. But otherwise we had no complaints about working with Dr. Sipe. He was warm, funny, and direct, which was what we wanted. He was never pushy or judgmental, just laid out the options and the odds and left it to us to make the decisions. ...
We weren’t turned off by the high volume of the practice [FCI] and appreciate that they were up on the latest tech and advancements. They certainly have plenty of real case experiences to learn from. It’s far from small or intimate in terms of the experience, but it was fine for our needs. ... very high patient volume. That makes it convenient in terms of lots of appointment slots available, but don’t expect a lot of contact or communication with the doctor.
How was your experience with Christopher Sipe at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He is very busy and not very accessible; most communication is done through the nurses. But otherwise we had no complaints about working with Dr. Sipe. He was warm, funny, and direct, which was what we wanted. He was never pushy or judgmental, just laid out the options and the odds and left it to us to make the decisions.
Take notes during your consult because he goes over things pretty fast and the clinic doesn’t provide a lot of written summaries.
He explained everything clearly and honestly, without sugar coating.
I’m not sure what this question is asking. First we tried IUI 2 or 3 times in early 2015, then changed to egg retrieval and fresh embryo transfer. My protocol included intramuscular injections of progesterone. That led to a single live birth. We tried a frozen embryo transfer in early 2020 with the progesterone IM injections, as week as pills, patches and suppositories. Although my lining ended up at 10 mm, which was good, and everything looked good with the embryo after thawing, sadly this transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It’s a baby factory, with very high patient volume. That makes it convenient in terms of lots of appointment slots available, but don’t expect a lot of contact or communication with the doctor. We weren’t turned off by the high volume of the practice and appreciate that they were up on the latest tech and advancements. They certainly have plenty of real case experiences to learn from. It’s far from small or intimate in terms of the experience, but it was fine for our needs.
The first round of IVF was covered by my insurance so our total costs including drugs ended up being about $6000. The frozen embryo transfer in 2020 wasn’t covered by insurance. They charged us $2575, not including drugs or out-of-state monitoring.
Describe Christopher Sipe's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The doctor initially told us in 2015 that they’d recommend transferring two embryos, on the day of, Dr.Sipe switched to recommending a single transfer. When we did the frozen transfer in 2020, he again recommended transfer of one.