Fertility Centers of New England

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Bangor
Reading, MA 01867
33 Lyman Street
Westborough, MA 01581
1-877-26-3483
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Centers of New England to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 17Neutral: 12Don't recommend: 77.7
2013 - 2018
6 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic is organized, well-run and has kind and knowledgeable staff. The nurse care-team is outstanding.... Monitoring is done at several satellite offices, which makes it convenient. The hours at the office I typically monitored at were 7:00-7:30 am.... They [nursing staff] are incredible. I felt so well cared for. They are responsive (always before the end of the day), caring and kind. There was one nurse, Christine Mazri, who went out of her way to be there for me throughout my procedures. However, all of the nurses on Dr. Hill's care team are fabulous.
2013 - 2018
6 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The clinic is organized, well-run and has kind and knowledgeable staff. The nurse care-team is outstanding. Compared to what I hear patients of other clinics complain about, I can't think of any complaints.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
The nurses at FCNE are amazing! They are warm, caring and always make me feel important.
They are incredible. I felt so well cared for. They are responsive (always before the end of the day), caring and kind. There was one nurse, Christine Mazri, who went out of her way to be there for me throughout my procedures. However, all of the nurses on Dr. Hill's care team are fabulous.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Hill is a very bright and experienced doctor. While he explains everything, sometimes I wish he would slow down a bit to allow for better absorption of information and understanding. At times, he seems closed off to alternate treatments, but I attribute that to the fact that he's been doing this for a long time and knows what works.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Bring a notepad to take notes when Dr. Hill speaks. Sometimes he goes to fast and it feels a bit rushed.
Describe the protocols Joseph Hill used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Now that I'm over 40, we use an antagonist down regulation protocol (using Estrace and Cetrotide). Stimmimg consists of 300 gonal-F, 150 Menopur and Cetrotide. I've produced 4+ eggs with each cycle. For one cycle, we tried the Lupron microflare protocol (in an attempt to harvest more eggs). Unfortunately, that cycle ended up being cancelled because I had one lead follicle and the others failed to grow.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of New England.
Monitoring is done at several satellite offices, which makes it convenient. The hours at the office I typically monitored at were 7:00-7:30 am. I am a single mom of a young child so it was sometimes hard to get there by 7:30. Also, on Sundays, you need to go to the Reading office and sometimes you would need to wait for over an hour if you needed an ultrasound. I live 45 minutes away from that office so a Sunday monitoring, it was often close to 3 hours including travel time. I dreaded Sunday monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England.
IUI-$500 per cycle PGS- $2650 regardless of quantity of embryos being tested.
Describe Joseph Hill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Due to my age, Dr Hill was fine with me transferring 3 embryos at a time. He explained to me that it was highly unlikely that that would result in multiple babies. He was right!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Multiple locations [FCNE - Reading] with multiple doctors both male and female doctors. Monitoring happens early in the morning to help for those who need to get to work on time. Getting an appointment with a doctor can have a several week delay. Same goes for scheduling surgeries. An outside company (quest) does blood work at their location in Bedford so you won’t hear back with results until afternoon. Busy days mean longer wait time for results.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Multiple locations with multiple doctors both male and female doctors. Monitoring happens early in the morning to help for those who need to get to work on time. Getting an appointment with a doctor can have a several week delay. Same goes for scheduling surgeries. An outside company (quest) does blood work at their location in Bedford so you won’t hear back with results until afternoon. Busy days mean longer wait time for results.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
When ever we reach out to her nursing staff with questions for the doctor she always makes time to personally call us and answer questions or will also leave a voice mail as to not leave us in the dark.
Attenitive to answer my questions and fixing issues quickly. Lack of communication has happened a couple of times.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
How was your experience with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
She makes you feel at home and equal. There is no I’m better than you or prissyness because she is a doctor. She loves when we bring our miracle daughter in with us and jokes that my husband and I are just along to bring our daughter to see her. She’s straight forward tells you how it is and explains in even more detail when you ask questions. She cares about your personal life and shares some of hers as well so that y’all can create a strong trusting relationship with her. She also has an amazing sense of humor! At my past clinic we felt like a number with Dr Vitiello we don’t.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
Make sure you’re open with her and don’t be afraid to ask all your questions, she will happily answer and even go into more detail if that’s what you’re looking for!
Describe the protocols Danielle Vitiello used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
We have done 5 letrizole cycles with no monitoring dosage was 5mg x 5 days. This was done because FCNE thought it was the only thing covered through TRIcare Then we explained what they (TRIcare) would cover at a follow up/ create a new plan appointment and switched to the protocol below. We have done 4 injectable cycles with Gonal f and letrizole with monitoring 3-4 times each cycle 1st cycle 75 iu days 2-7 triggered with ovidril on day 8 2nd the same as above 3rd cycle 75 iu days 2-4 150 iu days 5-7 triggered day 8 with ovidril Cycle 4 new protocol days 2-4 150 iu all follicles under 10mm, days 5-7 225 iu day 8 to many follicles no injection day 9 cycle canceled due to 9 mature follicles ranging in size from 14-18
Describe the costs associated with your care under Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England.
We have a cost share with our insurance. Each injectable cycle with monitoring costs us around $100 and then $100 for medication. We however do not have any IVF coverage.
Reading
It can be difficult to get an appointment [at Fertility Centers of New England] as they are very busy. When going in for monitoring and testing it is important to be there as soon as they open, otherwise you can spend a long time waiting. Sunday’s are especially busy as they are one of the few FCNE clinics that are actually open. You have to sign in for bloods and ultrasound, otherwise you will sit there all morning.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It can be difficult to get an appointment as they are very busy. When going in for monitoring and testing it is important to be there as soon as they open, otherwise you can spend a long time waiting. Sunday’s are especially busy as they are one of the few FCNE clinics that are actually open. You have to sign in for bloods and ultrasound, otherwise you will sit there all morning.
Dr. Vitiello has been amazing through this process. With DOR our expectations are lower than what others might go in with. She has been very honest about expectations and how I am responding to the meds. Our first round resulted in only 1 egg which failed to fertilize correctly. She did not push us to try another cycle, but was very honest about chances of success. When we elected to try another cycle she was elated!
FCNE has a patient portal that all communication goes through. Emails explaining changes in meds are clear and concise and come early enough in the day that if you need more meds you have time to order them.
Dr. Vitiello is great. She is very blunt and tells your exactly how it is which is exactly what I want in my RE. Even though our first round failed, she was honest about our chances of succeeding in another round. I have DOR so we know that we won’t gets tons of eggs, but she did explain that that my body responded as we expected and that we do have potential for retrieving more eggs in future cycles. We are due to start our next cycle on October 2018.
Ask a lot of questsions. I think that sometimes she assumes you know more than you do, but she will break it all down for you when you ask.
First Cycle: Estrace Priming Protocol: - Menopure - Gonal-F - Cetrotide I don’t remember the exact doses, but they were quite high. I stunned for 14 days. We only retrieved one egg and it fertilized incorrectly. Second Cycle: Micro flare Protocol: - Lurton - Gonal-f - menopure Exact doses TBD as we haven’t started this cycle yet.
Clinic has early morning monitoring appointments which is convenient with my work schedule. I was able to get in and out and to work on time. It is a cattle call, but it is very well organized.
Medicine was unfortunately through CVS Caremark due to my insurance. I have a lifetime max if $10,000 for medication which we used 100% of during our first cycle.
Describe Danielle Vitiello's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Dr. Vitiello is willing to do multiple embryo transfers if we can get more than one fertilized embryo.
4 IUI, 7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Overall in person the nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] are good to deal with, though I have had two instances in dealing with them over the phone where I had issues. One was a misunderstanding of protocol - communicated over Thanksgiving - that ended up resulting in a postponed cycle....I had to go to their main office in Reading for all weekend blood draws/ultrasounds and have all procedures (extractions, transfers) in Reading.
4 IUI, 7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
My primary treatment office was Boston, but that still meant that I had to go to their main office in Reading for all weekend blood draws/ultrasounds and have all procedures (extractions, transfers) in Reading.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Weiss comes across as empathetic, rather than a purely data/numbers driven doctor.
Overall in person the nurses are good to deal with, though I have had two instances in dealing with them over the phone where I had issues. One was a misunderstanding of protocol - communicated over Thanksgiving - that ended up resulting in a postponed cycle. The other was that while pregnant, about 7 weeks, before the clinic released me to the OB, I came down with the flu and had difficulty in getting the nurses to coordinate my treatment with my PCP as my PCP requested.
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Weiss was willing to adjust the protocols for each of my many IVF attempts, and to try new protocols being developed in the industry when standard ones didn't work well on me. I never felt like he was judging me (unlike my original fertility doctor at another clinic), and although I don't really care about bedside manner (caring more about results), he has a good one and seems to care about the ups and downs you go through during this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
He has the data driven facts available, but you need to ask for them as he doesn't necessarily lead with them.
Describe the protocols Robert Weiss used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
I do not remember the details of the 4 IVF protocols Dr Weiss did with me, as they were in 2014-2015, other than that he was willing to try the micro-stimulation type (aka "Japanese" protocol or that done by New Hope Clinic in NYC) when the large doses of drugs were not working well. For the two Donor Egg cycles, Dr Weiss prefers to do transfers with frozen embryos, before the transfer he has you do a round of antibiotics and take estrogen. Post transfer, he has me take both estrogen and injectable progesterone in oil - the latter until about the 10th week of pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England.
Don't remember details, but did like that cost for ICSI was automatically included in package as they use it frequently, instead of having it be an extra line item as was at 1st clinic.
Boston
All of the nurses [at Fertility Centers of NE] were caring and knowledgeable. They responded to my questions via telephone quickly. It would have been helpful to have been assigned one nurse, but I felt comfortable speaking with and working with everyone I came in contact with.... The clinic appeared clean and well organized. They use a patient portal, which is very helpful. Directions and communication appear online and if you have a question you can call and speak to a nurse. The monitoring was first come, first served which made things a little stressful. I always felt like I had to arrive when the doors opened or else I could be waiting a very long time for an ultrasound.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I felt treated like a human under Dr. Vitiello's care. She met with me and spoke honestly about upcoming treatment protocols. When we were undergoing any procedure - small or large - whether with a doctor or nurse, I was treated with respect and care.
All of the nurses were caring and knowledgeable. They responded to my questions via telephone quickly. It would have been helpful to have been assigned one nurse, but I felt comfortable speaking with and working with everyone I came in contact with.
When meeting with Dr. Vitiello, she broke down procedures and explained them with visuals and comparisons. She was very in her explanations; however, sometimes she spoke too quickly and covered a lot of information at once which was overwhelming. When performing procedures, she made me feel comfortable and relaxed. She was caring yet straightforward.
One piece of advice would be to arrive with a list of questions so you know what you want to cover when meeting with Dr. Vitiello. It is typical to only speak to the nurses once in a cycle.
I attempted three IVF cycles with Dr. Vitiello using my own eggs and my husbands sperm. We did two antagonist cycles and a microflare cycle, all with negative pregnancy results. The first cycle was very poor with one egg being retrieved and no opportunity for transfer. The subsequent two cycles were a little better. We transferred one embryo each time and neither implanted. We also used ICSI each time. After each cycle, Dr. Vitiello changed the protocol slightly in hopes of achieving success. She then recommended the use of donor eggs at which point I accepted but sought out a second opinion.
I was fortunate to have the majority of my care covered by insurance. We paid several hundred dollars for medication.
Reading
I was not happy with how I was treated [at Fertility Center of New England] as just another patient and not a person. It was my first IVF cycle. I was nervous. I needed more support...[clinic was] Not personable at all. Make you feel like an inconvenience. Do not communicate....Had to get there super early to avoid waiting...$8,900 cycle plus medication...My whole cycle I was left in the dark and when I asked questions I was made to feel stupid or annoying. No one was ever genuinely interested in my progress.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Not personable at all. Make you feel like an inconvenience. Do not communicate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
My whole cycle I was left in the dark and when I asked questions I was made to feel stupid or annoying. No one was ever genuinely interested in my progress. They were just interested in getting paid.
Robots.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Each time I was monitored I was never told how many follicles I had. They only retrieved 8 eggs, 2 mature and only 1 fertilized. We transferred this 1 embryo day 5. I kept asking for the grading of my embryo but no one would tell me. The day of transfer I was told "it's was fair" but I wasn't given the choice not to transfer and to stim again for better results. I got a BFP Christmas Eve. Had first ultrasound two weeks later. Saw a heartbeat. Was elated. They pushed me out the door to my OB and never monitored me again or even called to check in. When my OB finally got me in at 10 weeks we did paperwork. 3 days later I miscarried. Baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks (when I saw Beth plante). Not once has FCNE called me about my miscarriage. And now because I was discharged as a positive beta and pregnant my IVF assist is null and void. I am OOP for everything but all they cared about was money. Beth plante did not do any of my procedures other than a polyp removal. I got my medical records to send to a new clinic and found out the embryo they transferred was ABNORMAL and they never told me!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask a lot of questions and push for answers. Be your own advocate. Demand to know how everything is going every step of the way.
Describe the protocols Beth Plante used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Antagonist cycle. 187.5 units gonal-f cycle day 2-6, upped to 225 day 7-10. Menopur 75 IU day 5-9. Cetrotide .25mg day 7-9. PIO day 13 until 10w
Had to get there super early to avoid waiting
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England.
$8,900 cycle plus medication
Boston
The entire monitoring process was never really explained in detail/they just hand you a packet regarding the process [at Fertility Centers of New England]. You have to put all the pieces together. That being said, I did think that the entire process of monitoring levels and eggs is done well and efficiently once I understood the process. Most days, I would be in/out in 45 minutes and I was thankful for it. One of the clinics weaknesses is discussing risks of IVF on your pregnancy. We did ask about risks during treatment and post part in but we never discussed any pregnancy complications due to IVF.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Ask questions and do not be afraid to ask them again until you understand what is happening and why/how it is a part of the process. The entire monitoring process was never really explained in detail/they just hand you a packet regarding the process. You have to put all the pieces together. That being said, I did think that the entire process of monitoring levels and eggs is done well and efficiently once I understood the process. Most days, I would be in/out in 45 minutes and I was thankful for it. One of the clinics weaknesses is discussing risks of IVF on your pregnancy. We did ask about risks during treatment and post part in but we never discussed any pregnancy complications due to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Caitlin )
Dr Plante’s care team/nurse, Caitlin, was wonderful! She’s so kind and compassionate; we loved working with her. All of the other nurses were nice as well, however, sometimes we did feel that they needed a reminder that we had no clue what was going on sometimes/that this was a new experience for us. Everyone, the phlebotomists, ultrasound techs, nurses who send instructions through portal, nurses who return calls, all make assumptions about how much you know/understand the process. They need to slow down and be patient with communicating about what is actually happening and why!
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante is very caring and compassionate. She has great bedside manners and made all the right recommendations for us during our treatments. After our first failed IVF (no transfer made due to lack of viable embryos) she called us to extend her sympathy and immediately discuss our next steps. The only negative (if that) is that I would say that Dr Plante and FCNE in general tend to make assumptions about what you know regarding the IVF process; and sometimes tend to simplify the process/injections/retrieval/transfer. I would definitely see Dr Plante again and highly recommend her to friends and family.
Ask as many questions regarding the process, risks of treatments AFTER conception. I ended up having a very difficult pregnancy that my primary ob-gyn said was most likely attributed to conceiving via IVF
Fortunately most of our treatments were covered by insurance with co-pays to see the doctor and we were responsible for all prescription costs while in cycle (probably $1,500 total for IUIs and 2 IVF) We also pay $500 annual fee for continuing to freeze our embryos.
Describe Beth Plante's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
We talked this through with Dr Plante and expressed our concern about having multiples. Given that we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, she recommended that we try a single transfer for our first two rounds. She did say she would be comfortable with two embryos if that is what we wanted but we all agreed on a single transfer for our two rounds
Reading
I had experiences with many different nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] throughout this process and the level of care/compassion/friendliness varied. The nurses during my procedures were always great and so nice. The nurses returning phone calls always did a great job of returning calls by the end of the day or responding in the portal (which is frustrating if you actually want to talk to a person and not just read a response); however, they were also vague at times, even when asked very direct questions. I would have preferred to have direct email access to Dr. Vitiello, rather than having to ask everything through the nurses when things came up.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The clinic has multiple locations for routine tests, which is great, but only a few perform the actual procedures so you may still have to drive pretty far depending on where you live. Don't expect a relaxing, spa-like atmosphere - most of the waiting rooms are tiny and can get pretty crowded during monitoring hours. The desk clerks/receptionists at each office I went to were always very kind and helpful. The ultrasound techs and phlebotomists were also very friendly and kind. One of the biggest weaknesses is that you do not have online access to test results and your health information, which clinics I have been with in the past had. This made it difficult to keep track of all the new information you are constantly receiving and reviewing any tests results, blood work, etc after the fact.
I had spent almost a year at 2 other clinics before switching to Dr. Vitiello. I started my infertility journey feeling calm and hopeful, but my time with the 2 previous doctors left me frustrated, anxious, and feeling that I had wasted so much time and money with more questions than answers. Dr. Vitiello has a great sense of humor and a personality that makes you feel like you have known her forever, which can make a very stressful situation much more encouraging and relaxing. My husband and I immediately felt comfortable with her and hopeful again.
I had experiences with many different nurses throughout this process and the level of care/compassion/friendliness varied. The nurses during my procedures were always great and so nice. The nurses returning phone calls always did a great job of returning calls by the end of the day or responding in the portal (which is frustrating if you actually want to talk to a person and not just read a response); however, they were also vague at times, even when asked very direct questions. I would have preferred to have direct email access to Dr. Vitiello, rather than having to ask everything through the nurses when things came up.
Dr. Vitiello comes across very confident and knowledgeable in her field, which is reassuring. She tends to explain things very quickly, so if you don't know what to expect or what questions to ask, you may not always get that information. She never made us feel rushed and seems to genuinely care about her patients. Her answers can be vague at times, as if she doesn't want to give too much information, probably to not cause unnecessary worry or anxiety, but this can be frustrating and leave you with even more questions down the road.
Dr. Vitiello has a way of making you smile even in the most stressful situations. She made my husband and I feel relaxed and confident, after very stressful and frustrating experiences at other clinics. While she does take the time to explain things and answer questions, she does not seem to go into a lot of detail and just gives the basics, so you may need to ask very specific questions to get the answers you are looking for.
This is one area I feel that I would have liked a little more detail. I was given a chart showing the progression of my IVF cycle, but was never really given a reason why it was specifically chosen for me or the purpose of each medication. Also, directions are given through the online portal at different steps along the way, which made me feel like I never had a clear picture of the entire process until it was over since you don't know the next step until they send it to you. This can make it difficult to fully prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for what you are about to go through.
Monitoring appointments are done during a specific timeframe in the morning and are first come, first serve. Most of the time the waiting room is full.
We did not have insurance coverage, so everything was out-of-pocket. With doctor visits, ultrasounds, blood work, IUIs, IVF, and meds around $15,000+.
Bedford
As the doctor she made the calls to us if something worked or did not work as expected. She didn't rely on her team of nurses to do that. She also made sure whenever we had a procedure we were comfortable and always had the ability to make us smile even if something didn't go our way.
We chose the Fertility Centers of New England by default through what our insurance covered, therefore Dr. Vitiello was not someone who we had thoroughly researched prior to meeting her on our first visit. We were very nervous meeting her since infertility is such a sensitive subject we weren't sure how it was going to go. Immediately after meeting her and having her walk us through their process of how she goes about diagnosing infertility we felt as ease because she presented it in a way that was easy for us as non-doctors to understand. After getting the diagnosis of unexplained infertility she again walked us through all of our options (IUI, IVF, etc) and was very honest in what direction makes the most sense for us to spend our money that will give us the results we want. I appreciated the bluntness she gave when she told us IVF will give us the most bang for our buck. We ended up having to go through 2 rounds of IVF before getting pregnant and when our first round of IVF was unsuccessful she called me personally to tell me the results and let me cry it out on the phone with her. She was able to calm me down and reassured me that she will make sure that we get it right the next time. I have never had a doctor who delivers bad news and then will stay on the phone with you while you process the information and be a shoulder to cry on. On our second round of IVF we were successful and became pregnant - I will always remember answering the phone to a screaming YAY from Dr. Vitiello - not a hi, not a this is Dr. Vitiello - a YAY which showed that she was as excited as we were that it was successful and that she cared about us. I was lucky to have Dr. Vitiello perform both egg retrievals as well both embryo transfers and both times she made both my husband and I feel at ease during all of the these procedures. I highly recommend her to anyone who is struggling to get pregnant because she is not only a great doctor who will find the way to get to your desired results, but she also really cares about her patients.
Bedford
Strengths [of Fertility Centers of New England] were doctors, nurses and organization. Weaknesses was compassion of the care team...Monitoring was convenient early mornings...Impatient nurses for procedures were great. The phone care team was ok. I didn't always get all the info I was looking for...Dr Hill is upfront and honest. He listened, did thorough testing, gave options and then we got going right away. Since the beginning he's been making adjusting and alterations with each cycle and hopefully we'll get it right soon. I trust his knowledge and compassion to help me and he makes me feel comfortable. The other doctors in the practice have also been great to be a patient of.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strengths were doctors, nurses and organization. Weaknesses was compassion of the care team.
Doctors were great but the whole fertility process in general makes one feel like a number.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
I would recommend Dr Hill & Fertility Centers of New England. Unfirtunately the whole fertility process is stressful and hard.
I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve so Dr Hill was initially aggressive in my first IVF cycle. With only 2 mediocre embryos Dr Hill would have preferred to put them both in but unfortunately insurance only allowed 1. I miscarried at 7 weeks. We had to put in the frozen embryo next round despite Dr Hill wanting to do a fresh round and put 2 embryos in so again unfortunately insurance was holding us back. I've been diagnosed and treated for endometritis also. I'm doing aggressive stimulation now for my second IVF round, treatment for the endometritis before 2 embryos finally are transferred. I hope after the first trial, adjustments and 2 embryo transfer like we always wanted this round will have a positive outcome.
Monitoring was convenient early mornings
Insurance covered costs so just co pays for me
5 IUI, 7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Very private, friendly office. Their [Fertility Centers of New England] satellite office staff are wonderful....Monitoring appointments at the satellite are tough because it is a small window of time. Some mornings could be extremely busy...You don't have a lot of nurse interaction. The interaction I did have was good. The use their patient portal for a lot of communication. This has its pros and cons. Pros are that you can always get a response through the portal even if you are working or busy. The con is not being able to respond through the portal or ask for questions or clarification.
5 IUI, 7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Very private, friendly office. Their satellite office staff are wonderful.
Dr. Vitiello sits down and speaks to you on a personal level. She is very honest, rational and positive. You get a genuine feeling she wants to help you have a child as much as you do. She likes to draw things out for you and is empathetic to your needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Dr. Vitiello has her own care team)
Dr. Vitiello is a realist. I appreciate her opinion. She can be candid yet respects your wishes. She is not afraid to look outside the box, and is willing customize your treatment. Treats you fertility cycle as her own challenge. She definitely helps give you the confidence and positivity you need while going through treatments. She has personally called me if she had results, or concerns to share. The best fertility Dr. I have been to yet!
She is wonderful! Knowledgable yet personable. She isn't one to sugar coat things, however she is respectful of your feelings.
I came to Dr. Vitiello as a last hope. I had seen 2 other clinics in the US and even one in Canada. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. No one could give us a reason that standard treatments were not working. Dr. Vitiello wasn't afraid to look outside the box and try different meds and different treatment. Although our one cycle we did with her yielded a low number of eggs, we did find out that the egg retrieved was chromosomally abnormal. We also found my ovarian reserve was very low. She assured me we would find a way to make me a Mom. Right now we are in the process of a donor egg cycle with a gestational carrier. Not the path I ever expected but after talking with Dr. Vitiello I am completely comfortable and happy with our path to parenthood.
Rather competitive IVF price. $7,800 (approx).
Reading
I would like them [Fertility Centers of New England] to have an office in Rhode Island! Their lab is the best! Specially designed unlike any other. They have an embryo scope - which I think led to my embryos developing so well...I think it was 9,000 a cycle and if they first 2 didn't result in a pregnancy, they would do the 3rd one for free. Drugs were not covered...Dr Plante is very realistic and uses research and common sense to drive her decisions. She understands the cost and weighs out each decision knowing what the patient can afford and needs to have done. She communicates with her colleagues so even though she did not do my transfer, they were on the phone with her before I went in to discuss everything. They did not order any unnecessary procedures and the plan they offer (3rd IVF is free) is such a great option. She wrote letters for me to my insurance company and helped me in any way she could.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I would like them to have an office in Rhode Island! Their lab is the best! Specially designed unlike any other. They have an embryo scope - which I think led to my embryos developing so well.
She is so personable and friendly and so are her staff. She goes out of her way to care for her patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
They were always available to talk. One even took the time to fill out my applications for IVF grants that I was sending out. They were SO nice.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Listen to her - she knows what she is talking about. Even if you don't want to hear it. And be honest with her about what you need - she will always listen.
She kept the drugs at a minimum and was cautious yet aggressive with my cycle. She knew that my insurance company was not covering any drugs so she tried to keep that in mind. She planned to transfer 2 embryos and that's what we did, and now I have a daughter. She was adamant that I use Progesterone injections instead of suppository or cream, and I think that is what really helped, even though I didn't want to do it.
Well efficient and I would only wait a few minutes. It was first come first serve though so you did have to get there early.
She was conservative and realistic. The other Dr I saw wanted to transfer 5 embryos for my next cycle because of my age. I immediately left that practice.
Reading
I had no issues with the monitoring appointments [at Fertility Centers of NE]. They start very early in the morning so that helps with getting in and out and then to work on time. However it makes it hard if you're trying for a second child and live a distance away to make it all work.... Be careful not to get lost in their system. You must stay on top of them and make sure you're getting what they recommend. Plan to call multiple times to follow up. Expect them to schedule appointments just to make further appointments with what seems like something they could have told you on a 2 minute phone conversation.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I got lost in their system. Their seemed to be a breakdown between their billing dept and insurance company and the doctor. Resulting in me waiting UNNECESSARILY for I think it was about 6-8 months for my birthday to begin treatment, per Emily in their billing dept. only for the Doctor to tell me that was a mistake on the billing persons part and we could have started sooner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England?
I felt "lost in the system" and like my issues had "slipped through the cracks" on more than one occasion. Major mistakes were made.
The nursing staff were all nice. No issues.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England?
She was informative, knowledgeable and easy to understand. In the end I have my sweet son. However she misdiagnosed an infection as a cyst. The result of which lead to a long period of extreme pain while I saw doctor after doctor trying to find the cause before finally resulting in the loss of my left ovary and Fallopian tube. Not to mention the months and months wasted while she waited to see if the "cyst" would go away on it's own. Strongly feel as though I went to them to get pregnant. They triggered an infection during one of their infertility diagnostic tests, then let that infection get to the point that I lost half my reproductive organs. Not a good feeling!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England?
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Can't remember the specifics. It was shots in the tummy, shots in the rear, estrogen patches, progesterone ... On my frozen embryo transfer, the first attempt was postponed because of early ovulation, started 20 units lupron & 1 baby asprin every night for 10 days. Day 9 was told estrogen level was low, added pill insertion to meds. Then it was 2 estridoil pills morning, noon & night and then 1ML shot of Progesterone at night starting on embryo transfer day and continuing through the first 10 weeks of pregnancy.
I had no issues with the monitoring appointments. They start very early in the morning so that helps with getting in and out and then to work on time. However it makes it hard if you're trying for a second child and live a distance away to make it all work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England.
Very reasonable as my health insurance covered the treatment aside from co-pays.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
I think she leans towards transferring one, though it probably depends on the patient and situation. She was informative about the risks associated with multiples.
Carla DiGirolamo
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Strength [of Fertility Centers of New England]: multiple locations with availability for blood work and ultra sounds. Weakness: injection instruction was a video, not an in person instruction (although they may offer in person if requested)...Most of the communication was done via a web portal, which was less personal at times, however it meant I had easy access to instructions. The nurses always returned my calls quickly. They were structured in care teams, so while I didn't have a specific nurse, it was always the same group who worked with Dr Plante.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strength: multiple locations with availability for blood work and ultra sounds. Weakness: injection instruction was a video, not an in person instruction (although they may offer in person if requested)
Dr Plante was warm and compassionate. I found the staff to be easy to talk to, especially the insurance specialists. They handled my questions and concerns with grace and always took my concerns seriously.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante was very easy to work with. She provided clear instructions and rationale for her treatment plans. We disagreed with her on wanting to transfer two embryos on our second cycle. She explained the risks and agreed to transfer two on the day of embryo transfer after confirming there were two healthy embryos to transfer.
Write down your questions. She will answer all of them!
Our treatment was over a year ago, I recall we were on an antagonist cycle, and the second cycle she increased my dose of gonal-f, other than that I don't recall much.
Monitoring at the office near me was between 7&730 every day except Sunday. I never had to wait longer than 15 minutes. The ultrasound tech and phlebotomist were lovely and very supportive. They were just as excited as I was when I got a positive pregnancy test!
Insurance covered most, we spent ~$8,000 out of pocket after insurance coverage stopped. This included both fresh cycles, meds, and a hysteroscopy.
Reading
My husband has MFI so IVF was the way to go for us. I think we started out [at Fertility Centers of New England] with the Antagonist Protocol (or something like that) for our first IVF treatment. We did not do ICSI as it hadn't been demonstrated that it was necessary for the insurance company. No viable embryos resulted and I got OHSS from this cycle. Our second IVF cycle, Beth put me on the Microflare Protocol with Lupron. She was hoping that I wouldn't overstimulate with this protocol so that we had the possibility of doing a fresh transfer. We did ICSI this time but I got OHSS even worse than before! So no fresh transfer but we were able to freeze 3 embryos. We did a FET with one embryo after that and it resulted in our now 3 month old healthy baby girl.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
My experiences at FCNE were great. Everyone was very nice and informative. The only thing - which isn't necessarily bad - is that you don't see your own doctor for every procedure. My egg retrievals were done by Dr. Hill and my transfer was done by Dr. Vitiello. So if you want your own doctor to be performing every procedure, this might not be the clinic for you. I was comfortable having the other doctors perform my procedures though.
Beth was very warm and caring. She called me personally a few times before or after procedures to check in with me, which I really appreciated.
The nursing staff was great! I really liked that each doctor at FCNE had their own care team so that each time you called you were speaking to a nurse who was familiar with your case. Everyone I spoke to and saw was very nice and informative.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
I really like Beth. I think she is a great doctor and really cares about her patients. She called me personally a few times before or after procedures to check in with me, which I really appreciated. My first IVF cycle ended up being a bust - I wasn't prepared to not have any embryos come out of that so that was a bit of a shock. So I guess that Beth is an optimist, which could be good or bad depending on what you need from your fertility doctor. She never told me that was a possibility. But the cycle really failed because we didn't do ICSI - but this was because our insurance wouldn't cover it at that point. Our second IVF cycle, I was much more prepared for what could happen. I think there is a learning curve on both sides with fertility treatments. Anyway, we ended up having to do an FET because I got OHSS with my second round of IVF. My FET resulted in my now 3 month old healthy baby girl so I am pretty happy with everything that Beth did for us. We have two more embryos in storage so if/when we are ready for baby #2, I'll gladly call Beth to schedule another FET!
I think for fertility treatments in general you have to be ready to adapt. Beth is great and will do everything she can to help.
My husband has MFI so IVF was the way to go for us. I think we started out with the Antagonist Protocol (or something like that) for our first IVF treatment. We did not do ICSI as it hadn't been demonstrated that it was necessary for the insurance company. No viable embryos resulted and I got OHSS from this cycle. Our second IVF cycle, Beth put me on the Microflare Protocol with Lupron. She was hoping that I wouldn't overstimulate with this protocol so that we had the possibility of doing a fresh transfer. We did ICSI this time but I got OHSS even worse than before! So no fresh transfer but we were able to freeze 3 embryos. We did a FET with one embryo after that and it resulted in our now 3 month old healthy baby girl.
You were told to go in for ultrasounds and blood work on a specific day. You could go in at whatever time worked for you within their "monitoring hours," which varies based on which office you were going to. I think they were all in the morning so that you could go in before work if you needed to. I think the hours for the Reading office was something like 6-7:45am. You would sign in when you got there and you check off whether you are there for an ultrasound, blood work or both and they called you in on a first come first serve basis. If you were only there for blood work you could be in and out in a few minutes. Ultrasounds took longer.
Our insurance covered our treatments. We paid our deductible and then co-pays. After the first year (which is covered by insurance), embryo storage is $500 per year.
2011 - 2015
8 IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Other
FCNE [Fertility Centers of New England] has a specific system for cycles. If you do it 8 times or more, you get familiar with the protocol, the early morning blood tests and ultrasounds, the medications, and the retrievals. You will not necessarily see your primary doctor for the retrieval or transfer. I had a few with Dr. Ian Hardy, who has since lost his license for molesting patients. That was pretty awful to discover mid-way through the process.
2011 - 2015
8 IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
FCNE has a specific system for cycles. If you do it 8 times or more, you get familiar with the protocol, the early morning blood tests and ultrasounds, the medications, and the retrievals. You will not necessarily see your primary doctor for the retrieval or transfer. I had a few with Dr. Ian Hardy, who has since lost his license for molesting patients. That was pretty awful to discover mid-way through the process.
Dr. Vitiello was always up to speed on our history. She knew what we had tried and what had (almost) worked. She knew us, what we did for work, what we did outside of work, our families, etc. She was able to handle difficult conversations, when we were so upset over failures.
The helpfulness of the nurses varied. I saw a lot of different nurses over 5 years. Some specialized in giving instructions for medication and testing, some were mostly in the surgical area for retrievals and procedures. Some were friendlier/more compassionate than others. There also seemed to be a lot of turnover. I actually had to correct them on instructions several times.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Vitiello is extremely smart, and a clear communicator. She explains treatments, options, and success rates clearly and openly. She is realistic, and cares about your journey, what you have put yourself through to start a family.
Do not get upset about hearing the facts. Facts are facts. Sometimes you need to hear them, and adjust your mindset to maybe take a different path than you expected to. The end result is what matters.
Antagonist - 2 cycles (1 chemical pregnancy), Long Lupron - 2 cycles (1 negative test, 1 nothing to transfer), Microflare - 4 cycles (1 pregnancy ended in miscarriage, 2 gathered for PGD, frozen transfer and negative test, 1 positive pregnancy with donor sperm, full term)
Monitoring appointments is done early in the morning - 6 - 7:30 am. It was first come, first served. Occasionally the computer system was down or the ultrasound machine wasn't working, and there were long waits. But most of the time, they moved things along. The phlebotomists and ultrasound techs were some of the nicest people I had contact with during a cycle.
My insurance plan covered fertility treatments up to $50,000. I had to pay copays for medications, and had a high deductible plan, so up to $3,000 out of pocket per year.
Reading
[Fertility Centers of New England is a] large clinic in an easily accessible area. They are open 7 days a week and always have a doctor on call for questions or emergencies. The practice has about six doctors that rotate schedules, so you may not always get your doctor for procedures or phone calls....Nurses would update the online portal with instructions. They were always available to speak with during business hours and would confer with the doctor as necessary. The nurses in the pre-procedure/recovery area were very nice.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Large clinic in an easily accessible area. They are open 7 days a week and always have a doctor on call for questions or emergencies. The practice has about six doctors that rotate schedules, so you may not always get your doctor for procedures or phone calls.
Dr. Hill has a warm nature about him. He was a bit overwhelming at first when we found out our diagnosis and he went straight to talking about IVF. Though this was our only option, we personally didn't have time to wrap our head around it before he went on to explain the entire procedure and ask us when we wanted to start. Though he was my primary doctor, the practice operates with many physicians and you will talk to or meet with whoever is on call or on schedule that day.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Hill has a warm personality, as described earlier. We didn't have a ton of interaction with him once the IVF cycle started as your care is managed by the team of doctors and nurses.
He can present a lot of information at once, which can be overwhelming, but is open to questions.
Because we had male factor infertility that could not be improved upon enough to conceive naturally, Dr. Hill let us know up front that we would need an IVF cycle with ICSI. We were lucky to get pregnant on the first try with a fresh cycle. The rest of the embryos were frozen for future use.
Ultrasounds were always done in the morning for set hours. It was first come, first serve. Since I work early I made sure to be there right when they opened. I don't remember a time that I had to wait more than a half hour.
We are lucky to live in Massachusetts, which covers fertility treatment. We've only had to pay the medication co-pays out-of-pocket. This was still a significant cost over about a month (around $500).
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Extremely well organized; super staff. Results/orders were posted really quickly every day.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Her care team was phenomenal. Dr. Plante s a little removed in the sense that she is quiet and is not overly forthcoming with getting to know her patients. I felt like I offered more get to know, then she did. Not a totally bad thing, I was her brain and expertise, not a best friend. She's reserved.
They were all always available, for any/all minute question. They answered in detail and never ever felt like I was being bothersome.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
She's very nice, but as I cited before, quiet and reserved. When I asked a question she answered it but at no time did I feel like she was anticipating my concerns, my angst. We had a lot of preliminary work done with my GYN before we saw Dr. Plante and she just took that as us knowing full well what all of our issues were. We did not, and there was missteps at our first appointment, where she thought I knew how grave our situation was and we didn't. It would have behooved her to have asked what was our understanding and then take it from here with her expertise.
This is hard to say since every case is so different. I trust her, I think she's smart and accomplished. I have said if you want a reassuring compassionate, get to know you reproductive oncologist, she's not the one. She is gentle though.
Mine was the maximum protocol, we did it twice. Lupron and Gonal-F. 10 units of Microflare Lupron 50µg/0.1mL x daily and 225 IU of Gonal-F Pen also twice daily. Each time it took me about 16 days to get to my trigger shot.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
They [Fert Cnt of N Eng - Reading] work with a lot of patients, while that can lead to mistakes like I experienced, it also means they have seen a lot of different cases and that gives them a considerable amount of knowledge to pull from when solving the complex issues that comes with each individual's infertility...I did everything through the portal, so there wasn't really interaction. She responded promptly and thoroughly. I remember liking her...
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
They work with a lot of patients, while that can lead to mistakes like I experienced, it also means they have seen a lot of different cases and that gives them a considerable amount of knowledge to pull from when solving the complex issues that comes with each individual's infertility.
I was repeatedly given a regimen or information for what I am guessing is a typical patient. This led to me being put on a medication I couldn't be on, had we not discussed this beforehand I would understand them missing it, but we had discussed it. I assumed there was something different about what they prescribed, but no, they just missed that I couldn't be on it. That caused a cancelled cycle. They almost sent my embryo biopsies to a lab that couldn't test them. Fortunately, I asked enough questions that the mistake was caught before my embryos were destroyed in some sort of freeze thaw marathon. The staff needs to slow down and read charts and patient information
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
I did everything through the portal, so there wasn't really interaction. She responded promptly and thoroughly. I remember liking her, but it has been too long. I do remember an issue with the hospital I was having ultrasounds at. They needed something marked differently on an order. She had the change to me immediately so that none of my testing was delayed.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
He talks really fast, until you know the lingo you can get lost. He is to the point, which can be a bit hard when you want more than what you got. Sometimes you just want to cling to your poor embryos
Double-check your regimens and information, it can be years between transfers, especially if successful, and they may not be reading everything. They deal with many patients, don't assume they remember you can't have a certain medication. As with any doctor, you need to be your own advocate. Don't get to caught up in what others did for their cycle but do check with Dr Hill to see if it might work well for you.
We wanted a lot of eggs because my issue leads to very few being viable. Even with my low weight, he had me take a medium dose of goal-f, my body reacted too well and he immediately adjusted my protocol to slow me down and bring my estrogen down. If my estrogen continued to skyrocket he was going to "coast" me which he explained can lead to diminished egg quality, fortunately, we did not need to coast. Instead of a day 10 egg collection, I was ready at day 9. He got a whopping 25 eggs... This led to 8 day 5, 1 compatible with life and 2 inconclusive. We agreed to let my body recover and skip the next cycle. The following cycle my lining decided to slough off mid-cycle, so we cancelled. Finally, having my body back to normal for transfer really was the best thing, my lining cooperated and we transferred. They monitored through the first few weeks then it was all my OB. I have a beautiful little boy
It was $11,800 for IVF with PGD, $2000 for medication, $3500 for the PGD probe, plus travel and hotel. Came out to $24,000, roughly, the first year. We have paid $500 each additional year to preserve our inconclusive embryos. To retest our embryos, it will be another $3500 plus lab fees. I need to ask what just a FET will cost, I am sure it is on their site. Their site is very informative. We try to take this one step at a time, after the number of miscarriages we have had you learn not to plan too far ahead. Right now we are enjoying our miracle.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Overall very satisfied and happy with everything. The ONLY thing... is that I was not aware that FCNE did not hold any of the left over embryo's. I found out too late that I had to arrange all of that. :( and now the original donor has had his vials destroyed due to an unforeseen genetic circumstance and my hopes of full siblings are gone. I now know the gene involved and could have had the embryo's tested. However, the chances of full siblings were destroyed forever when they neglected to inform me that at the end of my cycle - if arrangements were not made by me (which I did not know) the embryos also will be destroyed. :( so very upset over this 1, albeit just 1, but very important detail!!
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I know at the initial consultation there is a ton of information to go over and discuss. Things can get lost in translation or just in the flood of information getting passed. Perhaps a "follow up" in the consultation could occur and go over the specifics NOT covered by this clinic....like FCNE NOT preserving my left over embryos after my implantation procedure. Perhaps, informing the patients of their options where this is concerned and providing a timeline as far as when this all HAS to happen. Also, perhaps providing local cryobank information (as I received my donor from all the way across country) to expedite preservation of embryos. I'm not sure as I am not sure of the policy and procedures of FCNE where this is concerned. I did know that they themselves were not a cryobank and for donor parts informed me of where to obtain things but the post procedural information of things fell a little short.
The individualized care and treatment plan ... AND the doctor and staffs' willingness to actually listen to me - the patients' concerns - was a breath of fresh air and huge relief for someone going through something like this. The treatment plan was tailored to MY needs as an individual and not some checklist. Love FCNE and Dr. Plante!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: :( can't remember. )
FCNE uses off site blood and u.sound monitoring centers. The 2 ladies at my center were absolutely the best!!! Their calmness and ease..put me to calm my nerves and relax me. Their compassion and bedside manner was a beautiful thing to see in this day and age of sterile healthcare.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Overall very satisfied and happy with everything. The ONLY thing...and it is a biggie.... is that I was not aware that FCNE did not hold any of the left over embryo's. I found out too late that I had to arrange all of that. :( and now the original donor has had his vials destroyed due to an unforeseen genetic circumstance and my hopes of full siblings are gone. I now know the gene involved and could have had the embryo's tested. However, the chances of full siblings were destroyed forever when they neglected to inform me that at the end of my cycle - if arrangements were not made by me (which I did not know) the embryos also will be destroyed. :( so very upset over this 1, albeit just 1, but very important detail!!
to include EVERY possible detail from donor, retrieval, implantation, etc. and what happens AFTER. I was not informed about what would happen to the embryos left over and unaware that the arrangements to preserve them was solely up to me.
I did not want to go round after round and guessing. I advised Dr. Plante that I want the highest percentage of 1)implantation and 2) live birth. So IVF with egg retrieval it was. Off hand I can't recall the exact drug names but we did start with birth control and egg stim hormone injections. followed by stim to mature and release for retrieval. then IVF and 5 day implantation. After implantation injections of 2 different hormones to retain pregnancy and development. This was my first pregnancy. First Fertility treatment/round and I chose 2 embryos to be implanted which resulted in a fraternal twin live birth.
They use off site monitoring and the hours are very limited to morning hours only. Very difficult for someone that - not only worked the overnight shift but also overlapped with their hours. I did NOT want my employer to question me and was very difficult to take care of both needs to attend my monitoring appointments but also my work schedule.
I know my insurance covered the majority of the costs.... there was a bill that popped up almost a year later, that I thought was covered but apparently because it was an "additional procedure" (uterine fibroids removed) there was a cost that I was unaware of.
I thought this would be my "one shot deal" so for ME - I chose to have 2 embryo's implanted. My thoughts were that I did not want to go through "all of this, implant just 1 and then have it not take. But did 2, and if both took, I could deal with 2" (almost 2 years later...had I known...LOL ;) ) I love that from the past history of fertility treatments, centers have learned and limit the number of embryos implanted. Not just for mom but also for offspring and preserving the health and wellness of each. I love that FCNE limits that number to 3 at most and that is only with past failures/complications from previous attempts. They did allow me to do 2 - at my choosing. and repeatedly asked if this was something I was sure of...even at the time of implantation. Their attention to care and well-being of mom and potential babies was well received and appreciated.
2012 - 2013
It's a smaller clinic compared to others, especially those at major hospitals. A much more personal approach. They have state-of-the-art technology like Embryoscope. Excellent embryologist and embryology lab, possible one of the best in the area. Very comfortable setting and generally accommodating with appointment times.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
He was incredibly compassionate, knew our case well, listened to and addressed our concerns, and was genuinely disappointed with us when treatment failed.
Nursing staff was wonderful and got to know patients who've been there longer well. They were fairly organized and prompt to answer questions.
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
He's a compassionate and intelligent doctor and wonderful bedside manner. He truly cares about his patients. He's willing to consider new treatment and diagnostic options if he believes it's not potentially harmful and if there is some data to justify trying it. He personalizes the protocols and adjusts on a personal basis.
He is open to discussing diagnostics and treatment options with patients, taking their concerns and opinions into consideration.
He would look at what did and didn't work out well in the last cycle and based on that, develop a treatment plan for the next cycle. Sometimes the next cycle worked out better, sometime not, but he was very logical about why he tweaked something, not "just because".
They have many monitoring sites, making it much easier to get to one that isn't so far from home. The times are open ended, first-come-first-served. Some sites do have limited hours though, so being there on time is critical.
Reading
[Fertility Centers of New Engalnd's] Strengths - good communication, organized, friendly Weaknesses - sometimes it feels as if the nurses don't communicate or document what's going on with a patient well enough so they don't appear to be on the same page...Good location, clean, responsive, great hours...She [Dr Beth Plant] makes herself available via email and contacted me directly after we lost our baby.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Good location, clean, responsive, great hours
She makes herself available via email and contacted me directly after we lost our baby.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Strengths - compassionate (example: called me personally after miscarriage), committed to single healthy pregnancies/values health of mother, respectful of patient's wishes (example: due to religious beliefs, unsure about pursuing IVF and Dr. Plante respects this with treatment) Weaknesses - committed to single healthy pregnancies so this makes her hesitant to get more aggressive with treatments even though my husband and I are open to multiples, doesn't schedule appointments to see you regularly, you as the patient have to make a separate appointment to see her because nurses handle all other IUI-related tasks
Be your own advocate and speak up about what you want because she really wants to avoid multiples
Letrozole 2.5mg days 2-6, monitoring via ultrasound starting day 10, trigger shot + intercourse, IUI 36 hours after trigger. She increased letrozole to 5mg on days 2-6 recently.
My insurance covers IUI so all I pay are co-pays for the IUI which are $40 and $25 to see Dr. Plante as a follow-up visit.
IUI, 2 IVF
The fast food of infertility offices. They [Fertility Centers of New England] move a lot of patients in and out. Be prepared to drive to Mass for early morning lab work and procedures....Very inconvenient. It felt like a cattle call. Often sitting and waiting. Very early in the morning and no leniency. Sunday monitoring was an hours drive and the wait was often 30-60 minutes
IUI, 2 IVF
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The fast food of infertility offices. They move a lot of patients in and out. Be prepared to drive to Mass for early morning lab work and procedures.
They only do lab work and ultrasound for 30 minutes a day. Often I had to wait with a room full of other women. It felt like a cattle call. Egg retrievals were similar. They book one right after another. I was told I could wait for long after the embryo transfer than the 5 minutes they allot, but when I asked for longer, I was told I could only have 10 minutes because of the next appointment.
Took a long time to return calls. I left a message about medication once and was told they would call back after emailing the doctor. Never heard anything again.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
She does not have a warm bedside manner. She is straight forward and sometimes blunt. She said that her staff would be accommodating but most times they were not.
Don't expect a warm, fluffy personality. But I did get positive results.
I was lucky enough to have insurance cover both cycles of IVF. They paid about $11k per cycle with meds and monitoring.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
they [Fert Cnt of N Eng] seemed pretty on top of communication between ultrasounds/bloodwork/procedures. However, I wasn’t really told much about why I was taking certain meds...It was $8,800 for the whole ivf cycle, monitoring and procedures. An extra $800 for freezing embryos...I really enjoyed he nursing staff, they were very friendly and nurturing....Our doctor said we would have a higher success rate with multiple embryos, so we did that.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I don’t have anything to compare it to, but they seemed pretty on top of communication between ultrasounds/bloodwork/procedures. However, I wasn’t really told much about why I was taking certain meds. But I suppose I didn’t ask either.
I felt like she had great bedside manner.
I really enjoyed he nursing staff, they were very friendly and nurturing.
I enjoyed working with Dr. Vitiello. She had a bit of a humorous side which helped the whole process get started, taking the edge off. When I went in for the egg retrieval it was a different doctor, Dr. Plant. Then for transfer it was Dr. Hill. So I feel like I’ve seen many of the doctors in the FCNE practice. They all seemed nice.
I forgot to come in with questions already written, that would have been helpful.
300 Gonal-f at night 150 Menopur in the am (Started both those on day 2 of my period) .25 mg Cetrotide at about day 6 or 7. I was never really told why we used this protocol.
It was $8,800 for the whole ivf cycle, monitoring and procedures. An extra $800 for freezing embryos, which we unfortunately didn’t have any, so we are hoping to be reimbursed for that.
Bedford
Monitoring appointments [at Fertility Centers of New England] were provided during a certain window in the morning. They were very efficient, especially if you arrive during the earlier portion of the time window. I never waited too long to get in for either blood work or an ultrasound...They're very helpful, friendly and empathetic. The facility is very clean and functional. The operations are pretty efficient
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Everyone at the clinic is great. They're very helpful, friendly and empathetic. The facility is very clean and functional. The operations are pretty efficient and patients aren't usually waiting too long to go in for bloodwork or an ultrasound.
The staff was great at making the process very personalized and warm
Most of the staff were excellent. There was one nurse who didn’t seem to be on the same page as the others and I had to ask to speak with another nurse a couple times.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Vitiello explains everything about the IVF process really well and keeps it real with patients about your chances of success and any risk factors. She also recommended the best course of action based on our personal situation, it’s not a cookie cutter approach. She’s very warm and personable and sensitive to patients needs
Monitoring appointments were provided during a certain window in the morning. They were very efficient, especially if you arrive during the earlier portion of the time window. I never waited too long to get in for either blood work or an ultrasound.
2012 - 2015
3 IVF, Egg Freezing
Every single nurse on the team knew what was going on with my cycle. I never had to remind anyone what medications I was one or where I was at in the cycle... While there was just a general monitoring time, it ran very smoothly! Only once or twice was I there for more than 15 minutes.
2012 - 2015
3 IVF, Egg Freezing
While I didn't have as much interaction with the doctor because I was traveling from out of state the nurses always knew exactly what was going on with me and never confused me with another patient.
Every single nurse on the team knew what was going on with my cycle. I never had to remind anyone what medications I was one or where I was at in the cycle. All of my questions(even the dumb ones) were answered quickly and with compassion and understanding.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
I felt very comfortable working with him because he is incredibly knowledgeable. He was confident in the treatment plan and was right. We've had the best outcome one could hope for twice now working with him.
Don't expect a lot of one on one attention and hand holding but know that you are still getting excellent and state of the art care.
While there was just a general monitoring time, it ran very smoothly! Only once or twice was I there for more than 15 minutes. The nurses and techs are very efficient about getting everyone in and out in a timely manner.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Fertility Centers of New England] is not a factory. It is smaller, you see all of the doctors if you have enough transfers. It is the only clinic I went to but I found it to be no frills, nothing fancy, just good medicine. [My nurse] she was kind, but her bedside manner was more rigid than his [Dr. Weiss]. She was not as willing to bend the rules for managed care but with some authoritative pushing in my part she learned to work better with me on this issue.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It is not a factory. It is smaller, you see all of the doctors if you have enough transfers. It is the only clinic I went to but I found it to be no frills, nothing fancy, just good medicine.
I was able to speak to him directly at any point during my treatment. I knew his nurses and they knew me. He always responded quickly to me. He hugged me after each of my losses and of course when we achieved pregnancy. He always remained hopeful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
she was kind, but her bedside manner was more rigid than his. She was not as willing to bend the rules for managed care but with some authoritative pushing in my part she learned to work better with me on this issue.
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
He was honest, hopeful and realistic of what we were dealing with. He spoke to me in terms I could understand and spent as much time as I needed. He was willing to push managed care to help me and willing to take calculated, well though out risks with my care.
Have good questions about your care, he is willing to answer them and it will give you power over your care.
It was covered by insurance. I only had copay for the visits where I saw him (not blood draws etc)
Boston
The patient portal [for Fertility Centers of New England] had a glitch at one point, and our scheduled appointment got rescheduled to a different day that we were not aware of. When we came on the day that we had originally scheduled, they apologized and squeezed us in anyway so that we did not have to come back another day...Monitoring is very early in the morning and is a first come, first serve basis. It can get long on a busy day, but the clinic got people in and out as quickly as possible, while still giving everyone thorough attention.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Fertility centers of New England is a great clinic to work with. Everyone was very compassionate and they treated us like they truly cared about us. Our questions were always answered, and doctors and nurses were always available to answer all of our questions thoroughly.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Vitiello is very intelligent, came up with a great plan that worked for us, presented us with options that other doctors weren’t sure were possible, but they totally were! She was confident in what she was doing, yet gave us the facts straight so that we felt optimistic, but knew there were no guarantees. She is blunt and to the point, but gave us all the information that we needed to know. We will definitely be going back to her in the future.
IVF, Donor Eggs
[Fertility Centers of New England] nurse staff all but one were extremely compassionate start to finish. Insurance coordinators, schedulers all lovely to work with. MD's for the most part were understanding of each situation...poor at outlining expectations from the beginning as to the entire process. You are required to go to multiple offices at times. You will see multiple doctors and not know who will do FET or D& C until day of.
IVF, Donor Eggs
compassionate, helpful, competent
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Nice bedside manner, active listener. Discusses things thoroughly when in face to face meetings. Communications outside of office visits were lacking and too many times were there questions that fell on the nursing staff to act as mediators.
Be your own advocate and ask lots of questions.
estrace patches , vaginal and oral estrogen. then when ready progesterone in oil shots, FET day 6. Uterus lining FET #1 6.5 mm, not pregnant Uterus lining FET # 7.9 mm, pregnant , then miscarried week 6
I am 40, went through menopause at 31 and one embryo was discussed due to multiple risk factors. Also, that I had 6 total viable embryos that has PGS
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
The nursing staff [at Fertility Centers of New England] is good. When you are at appointments they are wonderful and helpful. Sometimes it is a little difficult to get answers through the patient portal...There are several doctors at the clinic and some are better than others. The hours of operation are great and having more than one location provides good flexibility.
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Most of the time the care is great Sometimes it is hard to get a hold of a nurse.
The nursing staff is good. When you are at appointments they are wonderful and helpful. Sometimes it is a little difficult to get answers through the patient portal.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
He is very matter of fact. We are still undergoing treatment so don't know the results yet. He is great at answering questions when you are with him but hard to get a hold of him when not at an appt.
He tends to move quickly through details.
I don't really remember. Sorry
Tends to be busy, but if you get there early, there is no wait.
Mine was covered by insurance.
2009 - 2015
IUI, 7 IVF
[Fertility Centers of New England is an] Amazing clinic. Tough to travel to reading for all procedures. Lab is up to date with new technologies (embryoscope, oxygenated labs)... Fcne has a patient portal which makes waiting less torturous - it also makes bad news easier to process... [monitoring appointments were a] Cattle call. Appts would be better... $40,000 out of pocket with dual insurance
2009 - 2015
IUI, 7 IVF
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Beth has the most patient centric personality - we never felt like a number to her. She could have let us go to improve her success rates but she kept fighting with us
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Kelly )
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante cares about her patients personally and professionally. She doesn't just follow standard protocol, she researches new innovations and processes to give her patients the best possible outcome. She doesn't sugar coat anything but at the same time it doesn't feel like a low blow when delivering bad news
Trust her
Low dose stim (due to ohss), ICSI, PICSI,
Cattle call. Appts would be better
$40,000 out of pocket with dual insurance
My 10th cycle, she suggested an eSET but I refused because we had agreed it was our final attempt and if we had two to transfer, they were both going in.
2013 - 2014
The team [at Fertility Center of New England] was always available to answer any questions and never made me feel like I was annoying them...The clinic itself was a bit far away so they coordinated with my local hospital to allow me to go to monitoring appointments there.
2013 - 2014
The team was always available to answer any questions and never made me feel like I was annoying them. They were very kind and positive throughout the experience, I had absolute confidence in them and a very high level of comfort.
Dr. Vitiello did a great job treating me like a human rather than just a patient. She explained things so I could understand them without making me feel dumb and she never rushed our appointments. Her positive nature was also super helpful during the process. Her personality is a bit quirky, but I really enjoyed her.
The clinic itself was a bit far away so they coordinated with my local hospital to allow me to go to monitoring appointments there. This made a HUGE difference for me, it was an incredible help and time saver.
Reading
I loved all the staff at FCNE both in the office and during procedures.... Early morning so could be to work on time! Very quick wait!... I can't speak highly enough of Dr. Hill. When we started treatment I was a bit nervous as I had seen a few ratings where people thought he was "mean". I didn't find this to be the case AT ALL! My guess is is that people didn't like that he was being honest about things.
European, Prefer not to answer
Dr Hill was WONDERFUL! Honest and to the point but he cares about his patients!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
I loved all the staff at FCNE both in the office and during procedures
Book an appointment!
Fresh Cycle- Failed but eggs frozen Fresh Cycle- Success! Live Birth! Full Term Boy Frozen Cycle- SUccess! Live Birth! Full Term Boy
Early morning so could be to work on time! Very quick wait!
IVF Assist $7200
Reading
I felt that she [Dr Danielle Vitiello] was fair and tried her best to help us...I really liked her. We had success with IVF, it wasn't until after the transfer that my body rejected the embryos. The only thing is that she was at times too busy. However her staff did a great job supporting this schedule. [The nursing staff] were awesome! Kathleen was amazing as well, she did all my ultrasounds and was kind and compassionate!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It gets crowded on weekends because they are the only ones open. Go early for blood work and ultrasound.
I felt that she was fair and tried her best to help us.
They were awesome! Kathleen was amazing as well, she did all my ultrasounds and was kind and compassionate!
Be ready for straight talk.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I felt she [Dr Danielle Vitiello] should have explained me the importance of taking blood sugar medications, healthy weight, nutrition, vitamins etc in more detail. I went to her at my prime age but felt that she wasted lot of my time without telling me everything clearly and guiding me in a holistic way...Her treatment protocols were good as theyou yielded more eggs - LupRon I think was best protocol but her way of handling the whole treatment was not right
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I felt they are not compassionate and didnot take my case seriously.
She was caring
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
I felt she should have explained me the importance of taking blood sugar medications, healthy weight, nutrition, vitamins etc in more detail. I went to her at my prime age but felt that she wasted lot of my time without telling me everything clearly and guiding me in a holistic way.
Know what you want and don't even people that she will tell you everything you need.be your advocate
Not sure as insurance paid
Reading
Appointments were usually rushed, and explanations brief. Stats were cherry-picked and misleading. He actually told me once I "screwed up" a cycle.
European, South Asian
They were almost always caring, attentive and friendly.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
He is an excellent scientist but lacking in compassion.
Go in with a thick skin and question him on the source of his stats. Don't let him rush you.