Genetic counseling: Offered
Westborough
33 Lyman Street
Westborough, MA 01581
1-877-26-3483
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Centers of New England to a friend?

6.2
4 doctors
Dr V [Vitiello] informed my husband and I that we had "unexplained" infertility. She didn't think I had PCOS (previously diagnosed in 2011 by another doctor) and reported that my husband's sperm analysis was fine. ... found another clinic who used Dr V's test results we were informed we actually have male factor infertility and I was taken off metformin and birth control (which Dr V's office did not have any record of having put me on).
I was informed that I needed to be under a BMI of 38 in order for the anesthesiologist to be able to do his job. ... They [Fertility Centers of New England] had no record of birth control and wrote my refill of metformin for twice the amount of the original script. ... Their record keeping leaves something to be desired. There was no record of putting me on birth control and when I called for a refill of metformin the script was written for twice the amount prescribed the first time with no explanation or testing. They also deal solely with Quest Diagnostics whose billing department is atrocious and never billed me the same way twice and only correctly on the first attempt once. That is the main reason we are leaving.
How was your experience with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr V informed my husband and I that we had "unexplained" infertility. She didn't think I had PCOS (previously diagnosed in 2011 by another doctor) and reported that my husband's sperm analysis was fine. I was informed that I needed to drop 15 pounds but not explained why. At later appointments with the nurses I was informed that I needed to be under a BMI of 38 in order for the anesthesiologist to be able to do his job. If I had been an inch taller this would not have been an issue. I was instructed to go on a Keto diet and I was unable to handle this due to previous bariatric surgery causing issues with high fat diets. When I researched and found another clinic who used Dr V's test results we were informed we actually have male factor infertility and I was taken off metformin and birth control (which Dr V's office did not have any record of having put me on).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
Only go if you're already under a BMI of 38. There's no reasoning for this other than their anesthesiologist doesn't know how to handle obesity.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
She was personable and could handle mine and my husband's joking personalities.
Describe the protocols Danielle Vitiello used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
We only got through a testing round.
They were personable and competent.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England.
I was 100% insurance coverage after I hit my deductible. I had $30 copays and had to shell out for a few blood tests. My main issue was with Quest Diagnostics and their billing practices.
Describe Danielle Vitiello's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
None
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England.
I've explained in previous notes. They had no record of birth control and wrote my refill of metformin for twice the amount of the original script.

2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Vitiello can be very blunt which can be seen as a strength or a weakness depending on personal preference. First, time we met her...she told us she would not do IVF with my own eggs because it would be like stealing our money. That made us go to another clinic immediately.... We did one IVF with own eggs which was cancelled before transfer because the 3 embryos created did not make it to day 5. The next treatment was Donor Eggs.
FCNE has no strengths to speak of through our 4 years of services with them.... The clinic refused to individualize our care. They charge by package deals regardless of if the tests have been completed before or not. At one point we spoke to someone named, Barry in the financial department who stated "we are not some type of Medicaid clinic, we are for profit business."...The Reading facility was less than up to par as well with filthy bathrooms, extremely dirty rugs and chairs
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Vitiello can be very blunt which can be seen as a strength or a weakness depending on personal preference. First, time we met her...she told us she would not do IVF with my own eggs because it would be like stealing our money. That made us go to another clinic immediately. However, we then had got new insurance that had some fertility coverage which made us have to switch back to FCNE.
Do not expect compassion or individualized care. Educate yourself immensely so that you can be informed before making any final decisions.
Treated like a number. None of our services were individualized and we felt like they only cared about there success stats and not our personal well being or care.
We did one IVF with own eggs which was cancelled before transfer because the 3 embryos created did not make it to day 5. The next treatment was Donor Eggs. We were highly encouraged to do a fresh cycle which we trusted the doctors professional opinion seeing how donor eggs was whole new world to us. After paying a lot more for a fresh cycle we were then convinced to do additional testing on the embryos created which then had to be frozen. WE had 4 great embryos in the end and decided to transfer 2 the first time. Later discovering that the transfer day was wrong after ERA testing. So our first two embryos were literally thrown away. The next two cycles our transfer day was adjusted due to the ERA results.
I asked a lot of questions and felt I annoyed the nurse by doing so. I felt that I was my own nurse which was rather concerning seeing how I was supposed to be the patient. The communication was unsatisfactory as well as the turn around time for answers or calls back.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
FCNE has no strengths to speak of through our 4 years of services with them. I sadly just assumed that was the fertility world care until we lost insurance and decided to move on from FCNE. From our first visit with our new clinic we quickly discovered how terrible their services actually were and that terrible services do not need to go hand in hand with fertility treatments or care.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of New England.
It depended on the day. Sometimes monitoring went smoothly, other times it was over an hour waiting, or in proper orders in the system or no orders at all. Speaking of monitoring for all four years of services there was a lovely giant bug in the light fixture above the ultrasound table at the Bedford, NH location...I have numerous pictures of this disturbing focal point. The Reading facility was less than up to par as well with filthy bathrooms, extremely dirty rugs and chairs in the waiting room as well as curtains that were disgustingly stained in the retrieval and transfer section of the clinic.
The cost was somewhat typical, however almost all there costs are considered package deals and they will not individualize and will charge you for tests that have already been completed because it is part of the package deal. As Barry in finance rudely stated, "we are not some type of Medicaid clinic, we are for profit business."
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
The clinic refused to individualize our care. They charge by package deals regardless of if the tests have been completed before or not. At one point we spoke to someone named, Barry in the financial department who stated "we are not some type of Medicaid clinic, we are for profit business." We had a breach of privacy with the clinic and our anonymous donor was informed of our financial status. FCNE clinic is extremely unprofessional and clearly as Barry stated only looking to make a profit regardless of who is affected along the way.
Bedford

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England.

Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
[Dr. Danielle Vitiello is] Very knowledgeable, but poor patient communication. Every time I met with her I left feeling like my concerns were discounted. For instance in my very first consult we discussed autoimmune issues and recurrent miscarriages. However after several months and no testing for autoimmune disorders when I asked about it again she did a complete 180° Telling me there was no factual evidence supporting that theory. It made me feel like initially she had just told me whatever I wanted to hear to get me through the door.
For the most part, the nurses [at Fertility Center of NE] are wonderful. Compassionate, patient and knowledgeable. I never felt like I was bothering them which was a huge concern of mine. I felt more compassion from them than I did from my doctor.... My husbands lab results somehow vanished. They blamed it on a third party company they had used to process it. Additionally they do not call with lad results, you'll need to call them. When I did call for my husbands siemens analysis they only told me part of his results, leaving me to assume if they didn't mention the rest it was normal. Then three weeks later at a follow up appointment I found out that was incorrect and no one had thought to mention it sooner.
European, Native American, Other
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Be your own advocate. She is very smart, but if you are a patient of hers you will need to advocate for yourself and your concerns as well as do your own research and ask questions to understand her theories and thought process.
She has a more sterile approach and bedside manner. Poor patient education. Feels like she's just trying to say whatever she can to get you out the door.
She ordered the typical RPL panel, did a sono hsg, ultrasounds and an endometrial biopsy. The only thing that was treated was my subclinical hypothyroidism.
For the most part, the nurses are wonderful. Compassionate, patient and knowledgeable. I never felt like I was bothering them which was a huge concern of mine. I felt more compassion from them than I did from my doctor.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Flexible early hours for blood work and ultrasounds which is super convenient if you work full time. Be prepared to drive to the reading MA location for any procedures.
Appointment and ultrasounds seemed very expensive while bloodworm was inexpensive. I found their IVF prices to be very inexpensive as well
Bedford

...but my time with the 2 previous doctors left me frustrated, anxious, and feeling that I had wasted so much time and money with more questions than answers. Dr. Vitiello has a great sense of humor and a personality that makes you feel like you have known her forever, which can make a very stressful situation much more encouraging and relaxing. My husband and I immediately felt comfortable with her and hopeful again.
I had experiences with many different nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] throughout this process and the level of care/compassion/friendliness varied. The nurses during my procedures were always great and so nice. The nurses returning phone calls always did a great job of returning calls by the end of the day or responding in the portal (which is frustrating if you actually want to talk to a person and not just read a response); however, they were also vague at times, even when asked very direct questions. I would have preferred to have direct email access to Dr. Vitiello, rather than having to ask everything through the nurses when things came up.
Dr. Vitiello comes across very confident and knowledgeable in her field, which is reassuring. She tends to explain things very quickly, so if you don't know what to expect or what questions to ask, you may not always get that information. She never made us feel rushed and seems to genuinely care about her patients. Her answers can be vague at times, as if she doesn't want to give too much information, probably to not cause unnecessary worry or anxiety, but this can be frustrating and leave you with even more questions down the road.
Dr. Vitiello has a way of making you smile even in the most stressful situations. She made my husband and I feel relaxed and confident, after very stressful and frustrating experiences at other clinics. While she does take the time to explain things and answer questions, she does not seem to go into a lot of detail and just gives the basics, so you may need to ask very specific questions to get the answers you are looking for.
I had spent almost a year at 2 other clinics before switching to Dr. Vitiello. I started my infertility journey feeling calm and hopeful, but my time with the 2 previous doctors left me frustrated, anxious, and feeling that I had wasted so much time and money with more questions than answers. Dr. Vitiello has a great sense of humor and a personality that makes you feel like you have known her forever, which can make a very stressful situation much more encouraging and relaxing. My husband and I immediately felt comfortable with her and hopeful again.
This is one area I feel that I would have liked a little more detail. I was given a chart showing the progression of my IVF cycle, but was never really given a reason why it was specifically chosen for me or the purpose of each medication. Also, directions are given through the online portal at different steps along the way, which made me feel like I never had a clear picture of the entire process until it was over since you don't know the next step until they send it to you. This can make it difficult to fully prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for what you are about to go through.
I had experiences with many different nurses throughout this process and the level of care/compassion/friendliness varied. The nurses during my procedures were always great and so nice. The nurses returning phone calls always did a great job of returning calls by the end of the day or responding in the portal (which is frustrating if you actually want to talk to a person and not just read a response); however, they were also vague at times, even when asked very direct questions. I would have preferred to have direct email access to Dr. Vitiello, rather than having to ask everything through the nurses when things came up.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The clinic has multiple locations for routine tests, which is great, but only a few perform the actual procedures so you may still have to drive pretty far depending on where you live. Don't expect a relaxing, spa-like atmosphere - most of the waiting rooms are tiny and can get pretty crowded during monitoring hours. The desk clerks/receptionists at each office I went to were always very kind and helpful. The ultrasound techs and phlebotomists were also very friendly and kind. One of the biggest weaknesses is that you do not have online access to test results and your health information, which clinics I have been with in the past had. This made it difficult to keep track of all the new information you are constantly receiving and reviewing any tests results, blood work, etc after the fact.
Monitoring appointments are done during a specific timeframe in the morning and are first come, first serve. Most of the time the waiting room is full.
We did not have insurance coverage, so everything was out-of-pocket. With doctor visits, ultrasounds, blood work, IUIs, IVF, and meds around $15,000+.
Bedford

I appreciated the bluntness she [Dr. Danielle Vitiello] gave when she told us IVF will give us the most bang for our buck. We ended up having to go through 2 rounds of IVF before getting pregnant and when our first round of IVF was unsuccessful she called me personally to tell me the results and let me cry it out on the phone with her. She was able to calm me down and reassured me that she will make sure that we get it right the next time. I have never had a doctor who delivers bad news and then will stay on the phone with you while you process the information and be a shoulder to cry on. On our second round of IVF we were successful and became pregnant - I will always remember answering the phone to a screaming YAY from Dr. Vitiello - not a hi, not a this is Dr. Vitiello - a YAY which showed that she was as excited as we were that it
We chose the Fertility Centers of New England by default through what our insurance covered, therefore Dr. Vitiello was not someone who we had thoroughly researched prior to meeting her on our first visit. We were very nervous meeting her since infertility is such a sensitive subject we weren't sure how it was going to go. Immediately after meeting her and having her walk us through their process of how she goes about diagnosing infertility we felt as ease because she presented it in a way that was easy for us as non-doctors to understand. After getting the diagnosis of unexplained infertility she again walked us through all of our options (IUI, IVF, etc) and was very honest in what direction makes the most sense for us to spend our money that will give us the results we want. I appreciated the bluntness she gave when she told us IVF will give us the most bang for our buck. We ended up having to go through 2 rounds of IVF before getting pregnant and when our first round of IVF was unsuccessful she called me personally to tell me the results and let me cry it out on the phone with her. She was able to calm me down and reassured me that she will make sure that we get it right the next time. I have never had a doctor who delivers bad news and then will stay on the phone with you while you process the information and be a shoulder to cry on. On our second round of IVF we were successful and became pregnant - I will always remember answering the phone to a screaming YAY from Dr. Vitiello - not a hi, not a this is Dr. Vitiello - a YAY which showed that she was as excited as we were that it was successful and that she cared about us. I was lucky to have Dr. Vitiello perform both egg retrievals as well both embryo transfers and both times she made both my husband and I feel at ease during all of the these procedures. I highly recommend her to anyone who is struggling to get pregnant because she is not only a great doctor who will find the way to get to your desired results, but she also really cares about her patients.
As the doctor she made the calls to us if something worked or did not work as expected. She didn't rely on her team of nurses to do that. She also made sure whenever we had a procedure we were comfortable and always had the ability to make us smile even if something didn't go our way.

IUI, 2 IVF
She [Dr Vitiello] does not have a warm bedside manner. She is straight forward and sometimes blunt. She said that her staff would be accommodating but most times they were not....Don't expect a warm, fluffy personality. But I did get positive results.
The fast food of infertility offices. They [Fertility Centers of New England] move a lot of patients in and out. Be prepared to drive to Mass for early morning lab work and procedures....Very inconvenient. It felt like a cattle call. Often sitting and waiting. Very early in the morning and no leniency. Sunday monitoring was an hours drive and the wait was often 30-60 minutes
IUI, 2 IVF
She does not have a warm bedside manner. She is straight forward and sometimes blunt. She said that her staff would be accommodating but most times they were not.
Don't expect a warm, fluffy personality. But I did get positive results.
They only do lab work and ultrasound for 30 minutes a day. Often I had to wait with a room full of other women. It felt like a cattle call. Egg retrievals were similar. They book one right after another. I was told I could wait for long after the embryo transfer than the 5 minutes they allot, but when I asked for longer, I was told I could only have 10 minutes because of the next appointment.
Took a long time to return calls. I left a message about medication once and was told they would call back after emailing the doctor. Never heard anything again.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The fast food of infertility offices. They move a lot of patients in and out. Be prepared to drive to Mass for early morning lab work and procedures.
I was lucky enough to have insurance cover both cycles of IVF. They paid about $11k per cycle with meds and monitoring.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
They did not send over my medical records to my ob/gyn's office on first request. I had to make a second call.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
With our unexplained infertility she [Dr. Vitiello] gave us the best course of action that she thought would work for us...She is very down to earth, and doesn’t hold back information. Gives you very valuable opinions...She makes the whole process a little less stressful. She is serious yet tries to lighten the mood which is much needed. She is also very truthful and does not tell you what you want to hear, instead the facts and opinions based on those facts.
Waiting room [at Fertility Centers of New England] is small. Could feel a bit more comforting, less like a dr. Office waiting room. Other than that it is great. They are open early for bloodwork and ultrasounds which is helpful. Multiple locations also helps...[nurses are] Very quick to respond...It’s a first come first serve basis [for monitoring]. You sign in on a clipboard and they call you in order...Costs were $10,000 for IVF. $1,800 for frozen transfer. Another $4,000 for meds but that’s different for everyone.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Go in with an open mind
It’s hard because everyone is different. With our unexplained infertility she gave us the best course of action that she thought would work for us.
Very quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Waiting room is small. Could feel a bit more comforting, less like a dr. Office waiting room. Other than that it is great. They are open early for bloodwork and ultrasounds which is helpful. Multiple locations also helps.
It’s a first come first serve basis. You sign in on a clipboard and they call you in order.
She has had twins herself and so she has insights on one vs. two. She makes it 100% your decision and stands behind it.
Bedford

Dr. Vitiello is very intelligent, came up with a great plan that worked for us, presented us with options that other doctors weren’t sure were possible, but they totally were! She was confident in what she was doing, yet gave us the facts straight so that we felt optimistic, but knew there were no guarantees. She is blunt and to the point, but gave us all the information that we needed to know. We will definitely be going back to her in the future.
The patient portal [for Fertility Centers of New England] had a glitch at one point, and our scheduled appointment got rescheduled to a different day that we were not aware of. When we came on the day that we had originally scheduled, they apologized and squeezed us in anyway so that we did not have to come back another day...Monitoring is very early in the morning and is a first come, first serve basis. It can get long on a busy day, but the clinic got people in and out as quickly as possible, while still giving everyone thorough attention.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Fertility centers of New England is a great clinic to work with. Everyone was very compassionate and they treated us like they truly cared about us. Our questions were always answered, and doctors and nurses were always available to answer all of our questions thoroughly.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
The patient portal had a glitch at one point, and our scheduled appointment got rescheduled to a different day that we were not aware of. When we came on the day that we had originally scheduled, they apologized and squeezed us in anyway so that we did not have to come back another day.
Bedford
Extremely knowledgeable about the entire process. When asking her [Dr. Wright] questions about risks, percentages and probability she was honest. No lying to make us feel better. She gave us the reality and also gave us the strength and courage to try for our little one. ... My tubes were blocked so we decided to bypass them and do IVF ...
They are all Very friendly and knowledgeable. I wish that the clinic [Fertility Centers of New England] could open earlier so I didn’t have to be late to work a few days a week. Opening at like 6 would help more people with the intense schedule of blood work. ... They [nursing staff] always called before 1pm with results to any and all testing. If I called with questions or concerns they would call me back in reasonable time.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England?
Extremely knowledgeable about the entire process. When asking her questions about risks, percentages and probability she was honest. No lying to make us feel better. She gave us the reality and also gave us the strength and courage to try for our little one.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England?
We have recommended already 2 other friends to her. Call her today because she is the best.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England?
The nurses knew my name and face and remembered things about me from previous conversations.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
My tubes were blocked so we decided to bypass them and do IVF. We could have attempted to repair the tubes, but she said there was only a 20% chance of it working.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Cindy)
They always called before 1pm with results to any and all testing. If I called with questions or concerns they would call me back in reasonable time.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
They are all Very friendly and knowledgeable. I wish that the clinic could open earlier so I didn’t have to be late to work a few days a week. Opening at like 6 would help more people with the intense schedule of blood work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
We wanted the best of the best and didn’t want 2 kids at the same time
Kristen Wright
Bedford

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
On the first visit with Doctor Wright she was neutral, straight to the point but very informative. After that we never saw her again...is definitely an expert in her field and very informative during the first meeting. Unfortunately that is all I can say about her since we only saw her once to get all the information needed and the second time to sign papers...The nurses took the lead and another doctor was the one during the transfer.
At the end of the cycle [at Fertility Centers of New England], I felt like a number since my nurse that had done the calls and follow up never called me with instructions on how to stop the medication or to give me the negative result. After waiting hours for the call, I called to confirm that had been a negative cycle...I do have to say that I am currently doing a cycle and her communication has improved, Sheri’s prompt to get any information I request, always touch bases about my results and is very encouraging about everything
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Doctor Write is definitely an expert in her field and very informative during the first meeting. Unfortunately that is all I can say about her since we only saw her once to get all the information needed and the second time to sign papers. After that we never saw or heard from her again. The nurses took the lead and another doctor was the one during the transfer.
If you like a warm, caring doctor, she may not be the right doctor for you but she is extremely knowledgeable in her field and will take her time to answer all of your questions
On the first visit with Doctor Wright she was neutral, straight to the point but very informative. After that we never saw her again. The nurses in the clinic were very nice and definitely don’t treat you like a number. The doctor during transfer was a doctor I was seeing for the first time (which I did not expect that or was informed Dr Wright wouldn’t be performing the transfer) and he was nice but again straight to the procedure. The nurses there were again lovely and very warming. At the end of the cycle, I felt like a number since my nurse that had done the calls and follow up never called me with instructions on how to stop the medication or to give me the negative result. After waiting hours for the call, I called to confirm that had been a negative cycle
Since my cycle was a donor cycle she prepared my body with estrogen, increasing the dosage every week and introduced progesterone in oil one week before the embryo transfer. When my uterine pinning wasn’t thick enough, she delayed the cycle a week, hold off on progesterone and increased the estrogen intake. That week delay was enough to get my body where it needed to be for the embryo transfer. The pregnancy result negative
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Christen Anderson)
On the first cycle, she took over in the middle of the cycle from another nurse that was leaving the clinic. When the result was negative on that cycle, she never called to follow up with results nor guided me on how to proceed about stoping the medication. I do have to say that I am currently doing a cycle and her communication has improved, Sheri’s prompt to get any information I request, always touch bases about my results and is very encouraging about everything
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I like the fact that they have clinics in many places making the weekly bloodwork a lot easier and accommodating. I didn’t like the fact that the doctor you so carefully selected, does not perform the embryo transfer. You simply get the doctor that is working that day, someone that you don’t trust or never seen before.
About $20k plus medication
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
The only thing I would say that wasn’t efficient was the lack of information that your doctor would not be performing the embryo transfer and at a negative result, no one called me to let me know. I was told at blood work that someone would be calling mid morning with results but no one did. It wasn’t until early afternoon that I called to check and they confirm what I thought was going to be the results.
Kristen Wright

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
One nurse [at Fertility Centers of New Englad] scheduled a procedure for that I didn't need yet failed to inform me of this prior to my taking time off of work and showing up for said procedure. Some were for short on the phone with me. Very few I feel actually cared. Michelle the ultrasound tech in Boston is WONDERFUL as is Carolyn the phlebotomist. The phlebotomists in Reading however, told me I had nothing to worry about when I started bleeding when I in fact had a miscarriage
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
At the very beginning of the IVF cycle treatment, I was prescribed estrogen and blood tests showed due to my age, my body was slow to react to it. My dosage was doubled and I was told to come back in three days for monitoring. At that point, my estrogen levels were way too high and I was prescribed another drug to DECREASE it. They were still so high that a fresh embryo transfer wasn't even possible let alone getting valid embryos from the retrieval. We were not offered the option of PGS testing as I believe Dr. Weiss knew very well that none of them were going to work. And after being overmedicated, Dr. Weiss did not adjust his plan other than delaying the embryo transfer, he just proceeded with protocol. Without even asking or being told, Dr. Vitiello did my third transfer which ended in a miscarriage. The whole time Dr Weiss kept repeating "There is no reason why this shouldn't work" and "Everything looks perfect." I spoke with him and politely requested he be transparent with us and he became incredibly defensive. Have not heard from him since we miscarried. I never once was under the impression that Dr. Weiss really cared or hoped that we got pregnant. He was late to every appointment and communicated horribly with his "care team". Dr Weiss is just as horrible of a person as he is a physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Find another doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Weiss did not read my charts before speaking with me. He also scheduled a procedure for me only to tell me that I didn't need it when arrived to his office after taking time off of work. Never spent more than 5 minutes with me. Read from the same script every time we spoke.
Describe the protocols Robert Weiss used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Dr Weiss over prescribed estrogen, then prescribed a medication to counter my estrogen levels being too high yet scheduled the egg retrieval as though my levels were normal. Resulted in 4 horribly immature invalid embryos and never offered us the option of PGS testing. I believe Dr Weiss made no extra effort to care for me as he knew that the whole cycle was a wash so he treated me like I was wasting his time. Dr Weiss repeatedly would set a timeline/ schedule (i.e. "We can do a transfer in four weeks) only for mentioned procedure to happen WEEKS after that. Horrible bed side manners. Incompetent. Insensitive. Rude. Condescending.
I had to ask the ultrasound technician to please stop leaning on me during my ultrasound. One nurse scheduled a procedure for that I didn't need yet failed to inform me of this prior to my taking time off of work and showing up for said procedure. Some were for short on the phone with me. Very few I feel actually cared. Michelle the ultrasound tech in Boston is WONDERFUL as is Carolyn the phlebotomist. The phlebotomists in Reading however, told me I had nothing to worry about when I started bleeding when I in fact had a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Clean facilities with lots of locations. I understand their job is hard but taking out frustration with patients is incredibly uncalled for. Highly insensitive staff. Dr Weiss does not communicate with his "care team" at all which left me mostly confused after every visit.
Sometimes, I was taken early so it didn't mess up my schedule too bad. Pretty convenient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England.
We are probably down between $5,000-$8,000 in copays and medications not covered and still have no baby. The post miscarriage therapy isn't cheap either. Honestly, there is no price tag not being able to trust your doctor.
Describe Robert Weiss's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
He insisted on 1 embryo for the first two transfers and then did two for the last which resulted in a miscarriage.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Every step of this process was mishandled. None of my conversations with Dr Weiss lasted more than 5 minutes and he would just read from the same script and tell me the same thing EVERY single time. I never felt as though my time was being respected and I often left with more questions than answers. Dr Weiss and his care team are HORRIBLE at taking accountability for their lack of good decision making.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England.

4 IUI, 7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Weiss comes across as empathetic, rather than a purely data/numbers driven doctor....Dr Weiss was willing to adjust the protocols for each of my many IVF attempts, and to try new protocols being developed in the industry when standard ones didn't work well on me. I never felt like he was judging me...For the two Donor Egg cycles, Dr Weiss prefers to do transfers with frozen embryos, before the transfer he has you do a round of antibiotics and take estrogen.
Overall in person the nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] are good to deal with, though I have had two instances in dealing with them over the phone where I had issues. One was a misunderstanding of protocol - communicated over Thanksgiving - that ended up resulting in a postponed cycle....I had to go to their main office in Reading for all weekend blood draws/ultrasounds and have all procedures (extractions, transfers) in Reading.
4 IUI, 7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Weiss was willing to adjust the protocols for each of my many IVF attempts, and to try new protocols being developed in the industry when standard ones didn't work well on me. I never felt like he was judging me (unlike my original fertility doctor at another clinic), and although I don't really care about bedside manner (caring more about results), he has a good one and seems to care about the ups and downs you go through during this process.
He has the data driven facts available, but you need to ask for them as he doesn't necessarily lead with them.
I do not remember the details of the 4 IVF protocols Dr Weiss did with me, as they were in 2014-2015, other than that he was willing to try the micro-stimulation type (aka "Japanese" protocol or that done by New Hope Clinic in NYC) when the large doses of drugs were not working well. For the two Donor Egg cycles, Dr Weiss prefers to do transfers with frozen embryos, before the transfer he has you do a round of antibiotics and take estrogen. Post transfer, he has me take both estrogen and injectable progesterone in oil - the latter until about the 10th week of pregnancy.
Overall in person the nurses are good to deal with, though I have had two instances in dealing with them over the phone where I had issues. One was a misunderstanding of protocol - communicated over Thanksgiving - that ended up resulting in a postponed cycle. The other was that while pregnant, about 7 weeks, before the clinic released me to the OB, I came down with the flu and had difficulty in getting the nurses to coordinate my treatment with my PCP as my PCP requested.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
My primary treatment office was Boston, but that still meant that I had to go to their main office in Reading for all weekend blood draws/ultrasounds and have all procedures (extractions, transfers) in Reading.
Don't remember details, but did like that cost for ICSI was automatically included in package as they use it frequently, instead of having it be an extra line item as was at 1st clinic.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Described above (miscommunication, probably on the part of both the clinic and myself, over Thanksgiving weekend resulted in a delayed cycle)
Boston
My whole cycle I was left in the dark and when I asked questions I was made to feel stupid or annoying...I was not happy with how I was treated as just another patient and not a person. It was my first IVF cycle. I was nervous. I needed more support....Beth plante did not do any of my procedures other than a polyp removal. I got my medical records to send to a new clinic and found out the embryo they transferred was ABNORMAL and they never told me!!
I was not happy with how I was treated [at Fertility Center of New England] as just another patient and not a person. It was my first IVF cycle. I was nervous. I needed more support...[clinic was] Not personable at all. Make you feel like an inconvenience. Do not communicate....Had to get there super early to avoid waiting...$8,900 cycle plus medication...My whole cycle I was left in the dark and when I asked questions I was made to feel stupid or annoying. No one was ever genuinely interested in my progress.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Each time I was monitored I was never told how many follicles I had. They only retrieved 8 eggs, 2 mature and only 1 fertilized. We transferred this 1 embryo day 5. I kept asking for the grading of my embryo but no one would tell me. The day of transfer I was told "it's was fair" but I wasn't given the choice not to transfer and to stim again for better results. I got a BFP Christmas Eve. Had first ultrasound two weeks later. Saw a heartbeat. Was elated. They pushed me out the door to my OB and never monitored me again or even called to check in. When my OB finally got me in at 10 weeks we did paperwork. 3 days later I miscarried. Baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks (when I saw Beth plante). Not once has FCNE called me about my miscarriage. And now because I was discharged as a positive beta and pregnant my IVF assist is null and void. I am OOP for everything but all they cared about was money. Beth plante did not do any of my procedures other than a polyp removal. I got my medical records to send to a new clinic and found out the embryo they transferred was ABNORMAL and they never told me!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask a lot of questions and push for answers. Be your own advocate. Demand to know how everything is going every step of the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
My whole cycle I was left in the dark and when I asked questions I was made to feel stupid or annoying. No one was ever genuinely interested in my progress. They were just interested in getting paid.
Describe the protocols Beth Plante used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Antagonist cycle. 187.5 units gonal-f cycle day 2-6, upped to 225 day 7-10. Menopur 75 IU day 5-9. Cetrotide .25mg day 7-9. PIO day 13 until 10w
Robots.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Not personable at all. Make you feel like an inconvenience. Do not communicate.
Had to get there super early to avoid waiting
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England.
$8,900 cycle plus medication

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
I trust her, I think she's smart and accomplished...she thought I knew how grave our situation was and we didn't. It would have behooved her to have asked what was our understanding and then take it from here with her expertise.
Extremely well organized; super staff. Results/orders were posted really quickly every day.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
She's very nice, but as I cited before, quiet and reserved. When I asked a question she answered it but at no time did I feel like she was anticipating my concerns, my angst. We had a lot of preliminary work done with my GYN before we saw Dr. Plante and she just took that as us knowing full well what all of our issues were. We did not, and there was missteps at our first appointment, where she thought I knew how grave our situation was and we didn't. It would have behooved her to have asked what was our understanding and then take it from here with her expertise.
This is hard to say since every case is so different. I trust her, I think she's smart and accomplished. I have said if you want a reassuring compassionate, get to know you reproductive oncologist, she's not the one. She is gentle though.
Her care team was phenomenal. Dr. Plante s a little removed in the sense that she is quiet and is not overly forthcoming with getting to know her patients. I felt like I offered more get to know, then she did. Not a totally bad thing, I was her brain and expertise, not a best friend. She's reserved.
Mine was the maximum protocol, we did it twice. Lupron and Gonal-F. 10 units of Microflare Lupron 50µg/0.1mL x daily and 225 IU of Gonal-F Pen also twice daily. Each time it took me about 16 days to get to my trigger shot.
They were all always available, for any/all minute question. They answered in detail and never ever felt like I was being bothersome.

9 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I trust her [Dr. Beth Plante]. I am a health care professional and ask a lot of questions that most wouldn't think or know to ask. She answers all of my questions. If I want to change the plan, we meet again and discuss the pros and cons. I listen to her and have found that some who have different doctors are not as informed as I am about possible options...She has always been very patient and responsive to me.
I ask a lot of questions and they [nurses at Fertility Centers of New England] always returned my call...I trust them and have since the first time I went for an appointment... I had injections and blood monitoring and ultrasound reviews to evaluate how my body was responding. We adjusted the treatment for the second cycle because I had side effects to the medications...
9 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
I trust her. I am a health care professional and ask a lot of questions that most wouldn't think or know to ask. She answers all of my questions. If I want to change the plan, we meet again and discuss the pros and cons. I listen to her and have found that some who have different doctors are not as informed as I am about possible options.
She wants her patients to have successful outcomes.
She has always been very patient and responsive to me. I ask a lot of questions and always get an answer. I feel as though she has my best interests in mind and takes a conservative outlook while an appropriate level of actionable protocols.
I don't remember the protocols but I had injections and blood monitoring and ultrasound reviews to evaluate how my body was responding. We adjusted the treatment for the second cycle because I had side effects to the medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: No, they have a care team.)
As I mentioned I ask a lot of questions and they always returned my call.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I trust them and have since the first time I went for an appointment. I think that is the most important part of this because you are only able to control a little piece of this and the rest is up to your medical team and their expertise.
I paid out of pocket for all of my treatments thus far.
Describe Beth Plante's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
I have not yet gone to the embryo transfer so I cannot comment.

IVF, Donor Eggs
[Dr. Plante] Nice bedside manner, active listener. Discusses things thoroughly when in face to face meetings. Communications outside of office visits were lacking and too many times were there questions that fell on the nursing staff to act as mediators...I had a MD change the protocol mid cycle without explanation to me or consideration of my previous response to previous FET cycle and it set me back
[Fertility Centers of New England] nurse staff all but one were extremely compassionate start to finish. Insurance coordinators, schedulers all lovely to work with. MD's for the most part were understanding of each situation...poor at outlining expectations from the beginning as to the entire process. You are required to go to multiple offices at times. You will see multiple doctors and not know who will do FET or D& C until day of.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Be your own advocate and ask lots of questions.
estrace patches , vaginal and oral estrogen. then when ready progesterone in oil shots, FET day 6. Uterus lining FET #1 6.5 mm, not pregnant Uterus lining FET # 7.9 mm, pregnant , then miscarried week 6
compassionate, helpful, competent
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I am 40, went through menopause at 31 and one embryo was discussed due to multiple risk factors. Also, that I had 6 total viable embryos that has PGS
2010 - 2011
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Weiss] was honest, hopeful and realistic of what we were dealing with. He spoke to me in terms I could understand and spent as much time as I needed. He was willing to push managed care to help me and willing to take calculated, well though out risks with my care.
[Fertility Centers of New England] is not a factory. It is smaller, you see all of the doctors if you have enough transfers. It is the only clinic I went to but I found it to be no frills, nothing fancy, just good medicine. [My nurse] she was kind, but her bedside manner was more rigid than his [Dr. Weiss]. She was not as willing to bend the rules for managed care but with some authoritative pushing in my part she learned to work better with me on this issue.
2010 - 2011
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
He was honest, hopeful and realistic of what we were dealing with. He spoke to me in terms I could understand and spent as much time as I needed. He was willing to push managed care to help me and willing to take calculated, well though out risks with my care.
Have good questions about your care, he is willing to answer them and it will give you power over your care.
I was able to speak to him directly at any point during my treatment. I knew his nurses and they knew me. He always responded quickly to me. He hugged me after each of my losses and of course when we achieved pregnancy. He always remained hopeful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
she was kind, but her bedside manner was more rigid than his. She was not as willing to bend the rules for managed care but with some authoritative pushing in my part she learned to work better with me on this issue.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It is not a factory. It is smaller, you see all of the doctors if you have enough transfers. It is the only clinic I went to but I found it to be no frills, nothing fancy, just good medicine.
It was covered by insurance. I only had copay for the visits where I saw him (not blood draws etc)
Boston

He is an excellent scientist but lacking in compassion.
Appointments were usually rushed, and explanations brief. Stats were cherry-picked and misleading. He actually told me once I "screwed up" a cycle.
European, South Asian
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
He is an excellent scientist but lacking in compassion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Go in with a thick skin and question him on the source of his stats. Don't let him rush you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
They were almost always caring, attentive and friendly.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Insurance authorisation was mistskenly not submitted by the clinic, meaning that my cycle was cancelled.
2016 - 2019
IVF, Donor Eggs
They [staff at Fertility Centers of New England] are great. Very sweet and efficient...She [Dr. Beth Plante] is extremely kind and caring and answered all my questions happily...Wonderful doctor. Sweet and knowledgeable. Love her. She made me feel like I could ask her anything and was genuinely sad when I lost my first baby. She works hard with her team to provide excellent care and it shows...I’ve gotten pregnant both times I’ve tried but babies didn’t developed past week 8...You’re going to love her.
2016 - 2019
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
You’re going to love her.
She is extremely kind and caring and answered all my questions happily
Nothing specific that I recall
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
They are great. Very sweet and efficient.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Not sure but I’ve gotten pregnant both times I’ve tried but babies didn’t developed past week 8. Don’t know what could could be done differently maybe more frequent bloodwork to show if medication is proper dose
Nothing covered by insurance for me at all
Boston
Although we never got as far as a transfer, Dr. Hill indicated that he would transfer 2 embryos if that was our wish. He left it totally up to us...I reached out to Dr. Hill’s office within the year we first started (about 10-11 months after our first cycle) to complete our last “free” cycle. Dr Hill met with us personally and explained that we were technically over our time limit, and indicated that it *shouldn’t* be free. He was not very friendly about this fact
Strengths [at Fertility Centers of New England]: price tag (especially in comparison to other northern New England clinics). Patient portal (the nurses were very prompt in responding to any and all questions on the portal). Weaknesses: quality of care. Tweaking protocol when cycles failed. No communication with or from the lab. Patient has little or no say in treatment...we did a “buy two get one free” package. I reached out to Dr. Hill’s office within the year we first started (about 10-11 months after our first cycle) to complete our last “free” cycle.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
We had one phone consultation with Dr. Hill before our first IVF cycle. He did not do our egg retrieval nor did he check in during monitoring. He did not call when the cycle failed. We met with him (which we initiated) to plan our second cycle. We were all still hopeful at this point and he was fairly outgoing and conversational. He did not do any monitoring or the egg retrieval, and again, no contact during the cycle. He called to recommend donor eggs when he called to tell me the cycle failed. We met with him several months later, and was a little less friendly at this point, because as he explained, we were using a “free cycle” that he didn’t feel should be free (he stated we had waited too long for to use our 2 for 1 cycle). He did do that egg retreival, and left me a voicemail the next day that was about ten seconds long, that said “Hey Meredith, not good news unfortunately. As predicted, no eggs fertilized this cycle. I’m going to recommend you try donor eggs. Bye bye now.” And we have never talked since.
His clinic is affordable, which is why we went with him. We did not have a good experience (x3). I would gladly pay a little more for a better experience overall— even if the cycle ultimately failed. Our cycles all failed, which may or may not have been Dr. Hill’s fault (he never really tweaked the protocol, he just continued to recommend donor eggs). It was the overall experience that we remember and want others to know about.
1.) Although there were many friendly faces during monitoring, there were no initial instructions about what to expect during monitoring. There is no receptionist working during that time, so I didn’t know where to even sign in or what to expect. 2.) Dr Hill saw us in the parking lot on the way into our last egg retrieval and looked through us as if he didn’t know us, even after I smiled and gave a quiet “hello”. 3.) Dr Hill called me the day our embryo arrested and very bluntly said to turn to donor eggs. During our follow up meeting, he agreed to try one with my eggs more time with very little persuasion on my end. I felt as though he did not need to make that donor egg recommendation over the phone, one breath after telling me that our cycle failed. 4.)we did a “buy two get one free” package. I reached out to Dr. Hill’s office within the year we first started (about 10-11 months after our first cycle) to complete our last “free” cycle. Dr Hill met with us personally and explained that we were technically over our time limit, and indicated that it *shouldn’t* be free. He was not very friendly about this fact, and indicated that he was doing it as a favor for us, which I did not appreciate because we bought our first two cycles fair and square, and were completing our last cycle within the agreed upon timeframe.
Describe the protocols Joseph Hill used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
We used antagonist (Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide) for two cycles and Long Lupron for one cycle.
The nurses were for the most part friendly. The one expection was when my husband and I questioned the timing of our trigger shot, the nurse told us to “trust the doctor and stay off Google.”
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strengths: price tag (especially in comparison to other northern New England clinics). Patient portal (the nurses were very prompt in responding to any and all questions on the portal). Weaknesses: quality of care. Tweaking protocol when cycles failed. No communication with or from the lab. Patient has little or no say in treatment.
Overall monitoring worked like a well-oiled machine, once you know the process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England.
We did a two cycles for the price of one deal that included monitoring, egg retrieval and transfer. Medications were separate.
Describe Joseph Hill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Our clinic has multiple locations. You get orders during the monitoring portion of the cycle that indicates where you need to go for monitoring the next day. I was once given orders to go to the wrong clinic. Luckily I questioned it before I went. In my last cycle the doc put me on a thyroid medicine and just told me to stay on it “through the duration of my pregnancy”. I never got pregnant, nor did I make it as far as a transfer. They told me to stop my fertility meds after our cycle failed but never gave instructions regarding the thyroid medicine. When I called to ask about it, they said to check with my PCP... even though it was Dr. Hill who put me on it in the first place.
Portsmouth

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England.

2014 - 2018
Dr. Hill is wonderful. He is straight forward without being harsh and will give you the information you mean without fluff. I prefer that over sugar coating! I know some have thought he was "mean" but I never had that experience and from reading reviews, I think his was more often than not, related to him critiquing patient's weight.... I have always done the standard lupin protocol, but for my next one we are changing it up to the micro flare lupron in hopes of getting more embryos
I love ALL of the nurses at FCNE. They've always been kind when things haven't gone our way, and given us hope to move forward. I think ti takes a special person to be a fertility nurse and FCNE has the best!... Communication great! Patient Liaison is amazing. Early morning monitoring hours make it easy to get to work and pursue treatment. I have never once regretted my choice to go to FCNE. If you are thinking of IVF please consult with Dr. Hill and crew.
2014 - 2018
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask questions! He often comes across as speeding through appointments/consults, but it isn't because he doesn't care. He just has a plan and knows what it is! Trust him!
I always felt like Dr. Hill gave me the time to answer questions. I think a Dr is only as strong as his support team, and the nursing staff at FCNE is top notch, and i felt like together, they all treated me like a person, not a number.
I have always done the standard lupin protocol, but for my next one we are changing it up to the micro flare lupron in hopes of getting more embryos!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Blood work is first, and usually that staff arrives really early so you can get that done and be first in line for U/S.
Self pay and it isn't cheap but FCNE seemed to have the most affordable.
We only did one transfer where we transferred two embryos, so i cannot speak to this much.
Portsmouth

Dr.Hill is very knowlegable and straight to the point. Which I loved. He always made sure we understood our next step. Our experience has been great besides not having a live birth. Through one egg retrieval and 2 transfers I have never felt like I didn’t know what was going on. My questions and concerns were always answered in a timely manner and with a straight answer...I wish I would of had the choice of multiple embryo transfer for our FET as it ended in a negative pregnancy test and we only have one embryo remaining. Our fresh cycle ended in a miscarriage at 6.5 weeks.
I wish I would of had the choice of multiple embryo transfer for our FET [at Fertility Center of New England] as it ended in a negative pregnancy test and we only have one embryo remaining. Our fresh cycle ended in a miscarriage at 6.5 weeks...wish nurses could schedule appointments, as when I was transferred the scheduling desk would have no idea what I just went through(miscarriage, negative pregnancy test) and don’t understand the importance of speaking with your doctor as soon as possible after a failed cycle.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask as many questions as you can think of.
The team at fcne is wonderful, after my miscarriage every person I came in contact with consoled us.
I believe I did the antagonist protocol with my fresh cycle. My fresh cycle included 3 different injectables and oral estrogen. With our FET we did 12-14 days of vaginal estrogen then adding progesterone injections 6 days before transfer.
The nursing staff was wonderful- besides the one time I asked a question close to 5pm and they responded through portal and there was no way for me to ask questions after that message was sent as everyone had gone home. I think with orders close to closing they should call and speak personally with the patient. It is stressful enough going through IVF, the unknown can be scary.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I prefer personal phone conversation, the clinic does a lot of their conversing through an online messaging center which can be confusing. I also wish nurses could schedule appointments, as when I was transferred the scheduling desk would have no idea what I just went through(miscarriage, negative pregnancy test) and don’t understand the importance of speaking with your doctor as soon as possible after a failed cycle.
So far $17,000
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
I requested my prescriptions be sent to Walmart pharmacy for my FET. The nurses told me they do not do that as they are specialty. I saved $400 through Walmart
Portsmouth

I had to constantly remind him [Dr. Robert Weiss] of my conditions, history and path forward every single time we sat together. How many times should you need to remind your doctor that you cannot take birth control due to a blood clotting disorder?...He quite literally remembers nothing about you from one visit to the next...we did not appreciate being automatically put onto a standard protocol without special consideration for our needs and/or health conditions. If I was not acutely aware of my own health and fertility concepts , we might have been talked into the completely wrong choice. In the end, I truly believe that had another doctor not stepped in to assist our case, we may have repeate
Strengths of the clinic [Fertility Centers of New England]: locations, early AM hours for bloodwork and monitoring, ability to do procedures at all times/days due to many physicians, numbers, money. Weaknesses: No personal treatment, you are a number, disorganized and unfriendly patient coordination, slow insurance processing team, inconsistency in interpretation of monitoring results from site-to-site, too many physicians involved to have personal touch, completely inflexible and stubborn in their ways - " the protocol is the protocol, the procedure is the procedure".
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Weiss is not an unfriendly person; I think he quite possibly could be a nice guy to know. Unfortunately, his mannerisms in the office did not convey confidence or give us the impression that he was "in our corner". In the grand scheme of infertility cases, my husband and I are quite straightforward. However, we did not appreciate being automatically put onto a standard protocol without special consideration for our needs and/or health conditions. If I was not acutely aware of my own health and fertility concepts , we might have been talked into the completely wrong choice. In the end, I truly believe that had another doctor not stepped in to assist our case, we may have repeated this unsuccessful transfer protocol over and over. There is a benefit to having a gigantic clinic, and perhaps some find the mechanics and timing of that helpful. However, this really strained the relationship between us and Dr. Weiss, and I would not recommend this additional stress to anyone already going through infertility.
You are going to have to advocate for yourself HARD. You have to constantly remind the doctor of everything about you, all the time. If you are not comfortable with that, or do not know this process very well, we would advise seeking alternate care.
I believe that Dr. Weiss, like many physicians, does not mean harm toward his patients. However, his bedside manner really leaves something to be desired, and the way he and the other doctors & staff conduct business in this practice is shameful. You sit among a huge group of persons waiting in a huge room, and sign yourself in. You wait tremendous amounts of time, and are treated like farm animals being milked. The one-on-one consults with Dr. Weiss feel no different, and I would say worse. I had to constantly remind him of my conditions, history and path forward every single time we sat together. How many times should you need to remind your doctor that you cannot take birth control due to a blood clotting disorder? Your health and well-being should be their top priority, followed second by their drive to get you to your goals of starting or growing your family. He quite literally remembers nothing about you from one visit to the next, and I am not sure he is aware how hurtful, scary and devastating that is to a couple going through this already horrible experience.
In summary, we did a total of 2 egg retrieval cycles, 2 transfer cycles, and many halted processes in between. We began this journey knowing of our medical history with male factor infertility. This knowledge in itself should have prepped the clinic to request back-up cryopreserved sperm in the event anything happened on the physical day of retrieval (i.e. – if there was any issue getting live sperm on the day of egg retrieval). This was not done and cost us a huge portion of time and lots of insurance hurdles to go through. My husband’s medication halted sperm production during the retrieval, and our oocytes were frozen on day of retrieval, which was not something we discussed prior to surgery. I signed consent forms immediately after anesthesia, and while I would have chosen the same thing in another situation, this lack of planning and harried accommodations infuriated us. My husband eventually created multiple back-up vials of sperm and insisted about them being frozen and stored at the clinic. Due to insurance restrictions, we were now forced to use the frozen oocytes to attempt embryo creation, despite the acknowledgement that success rates would be considerably lower. Nothing can describe the heartbreak when FCNE informed us that none of the oocytes survived the thaw, and we would have to undergo a second retrieval process. Months later, due to travel and other conflicts, we had a second egg retrieval done, and the result of this was 5 total embryos using a fresh semen sample produced the day of retrieval. Under the perceived time pressure that many of us feel undergoing infertility, we elected to conduct a fresh transfer cycle with one of the embryos during the same cycle as the retrieval. It was clear my uterus and body were not ideally prepared for this transfer and quite stressed. Needless to say, the transfer of the fresh embryo did not work, and we were able to freeze down 2 other embryos. We were stressed, hopeless and exhausted, and elected to take a couple months off to let my mind and body recover. Upon return, we commenced an estrogen-supported cycle to attempt a transfer. The Estrogen suppressed ovulation, extended my normal 28-day cycles to greater than 46 days, and the endometrial lining never reached the desired thickness despite countless days of monitoring. Frustrated with Dr. Weiss for trying to push this cycle to success when it clearly was not getting there, I asked for medication to induce a period or ‘breakthrough’ bleed (as without ovulation, it was unsure when my body would decide to menstruate). We therefore started a new ‘cycle’ with plenty of added surprises; upon my first blood & ultrasound monitoring, it was clear that the follicle from my last cycle was still maturing in the ovary, and was now nearly ready to ovulate. This is when a second physician at FCNE took a look at my file (by chance? by intervention???) and determined that we should try a ‘natural’ cycle – we would monitor ovulation and do the transfer immediately after. Yes, this involves a lot of monitoring, but it is almost as natural as you can go. No estrogen, just progesterone support to promote the pregnancy. This was our successful cycle. Ten days post-transfer we had a blazing positive pregnancy test. Had we not been allowed to do a natural cycle for transfer, we may have never got here.
I think that because we did not have specific nurses or nursing staff assigned to us, it was very 'hit or miss' if we had good care from the team on a day to day. I will say that the 'lead nurse' or however she was referred to was perhaps the least compassionate human I have ever met, and it was outrageous to me that she was allowed to speak to patients as she did. We limited our discussion with her to only what was absolutely necessary. Some of the nurses were very sweet, some were also very rude. It just depended.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I supposed, like so many things in life, it is a choice you should make based upon your own mental state and stance. If achieving a pregnancy, despite hurdles and feeling like farm cattle, is your goal, this might be perfectly adequate. They have the flexibility, numbers and success rates that suggest it is a worthy clinic. However, I would postulate that the majority of women & couples are in an infertility situation are already mentally and emotionally fragile, and this additional stress provided by this type of clinic seems like the wrong choice for many. Strengths of the clinic: locations, early AM hours for bloodwork and monitoring, ability to do procedures at all times/days due to many physicians, numbers, money. Weaknesses: No personal treatment, you are a number, disorganized and unfriendly patient coordination, slow insurance processing team, inconsistency in interpretation of monitoring results from site-to-site, too many physicians involved to have personal touch, completely inflexible and stubborn in their ways - " the protocol is the protocol, the procedure is the procedure".
Monitoring was very much a 'cattle-call' process. So many persons in a waiting room where you checked yourself in. I think that having the hours early in the AM was convenenient for most, but it was not as convenient as coming in when it made sense for you.
Thankfully we live in a state with mandated coverage, and our insurance was excellent. We paid for storage of embryos and semen samples, which was in the $100s, but otherwise we only paid our co-pays for cycles and medications.
Single transfer is mandated here, and I support that. As a high-risk patient, I would not have been comfortable with transferring multiple embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Some things that felt like insults at the end of the day: * When we finally got a positive pregnancy test, a random nurse who I never had met called to tell me. I could not believe our own doctor did not call. * Due to male factor infertility, we should have had frozen sperm samples prepared ahead of any egg retrieval cycle, or at least been asked about it. We were not * We constantly had to remind them where we lived, and therefore would prefer to be monitored at the clinic near our home * Insurance procedures and delays were never explained. I understand that department's role is critical and high-volume, but getting zero information about anything which caused months and months of delay was so frustrating * The patient care coordinator lead was NEVER in the office and we could not reach her by phone. It was so sad and frustrating * Our oocytes were destroyed due to hurried procedure to freeze down when we did not have adequate sperm; this resulted in needing to go though multiple retrieval cycles unnecessarily * Prescriptions were sent to pharmacies which did not take our insurance/were out of network, despite us having asked they be sent to places with known coverage * There are standard protocols which you are put onto without any option to discuss or understand alternatives.

2019 - 2020
Danielle [Vitiello] personally responds to all emails, and is incredibly good with knowing all of your information (test results, etc) before she answers, which is reassuring. I worry about doctors having so many patients that they just go surface level with each, and with Danielle and her staff that has never been an issue. When she had to call to give us bad news about a test result, she left an incredibly empathetic message.
Fertility Centers of New England runs like a well-oiled machine, which is incredibly reassuring. They are open for blood work and ultrasounds for a few hours before work, and they gave me tips for what time to arrive to make sure I am in and out in time. The staff are always friendly and confident, and always answer questions over their email system same day.
2019 - 2020
Danielle is optimistic but frank. She talks quickly and seems incredibly confident in how she thinks your treatment will go. While that was very reassuring at the time, it also set us up to expect thing to go well which led to extra disappointment when they didn't. She is happily willing to go over details multiple times if you need things explained again, and although she has a brusque manner we didn't in any way feel rushed.
Write down your questions in advance, so that you don't forget to ask them as things move quickly in an appointment. In our first appointment I was going to take notes, but she said I didn't need to as she'd be writing everything up. I wish I had taken notes anyway, as she talks quickly and I feel like I missed things.
Danielle personally responds to all emails, and is incredibly good with knowing all of your information (test results, etc) before she answers, which is reassuring. I worry about doctors having so many patients that they just go surface level with each, and with Danielle and her staff that has never been an issue. When she had to call to give us bad news about a test result, she left an incredibly empathetic message.
After a semen analysis detected a 0 sperm count, my husband saw a urologist recommended by Danielle who diagnosed him with azoospermia, so we will be using donor sperm. We are currently researching sperm banks. Once we choose a donor, Danielle recommended two rounds of IUI, despite the low success rate, just to try before we move on to IVF if needed, for insurance and age purposes as I am almost 40.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
They see a lot of patients, but in a way it is reassuring that this is not their first rodeo. I really appreciate their email system, as opposed to leaving a message for a doctor, waiting for them to call you back, and hoping it's at a time when you are free. They always answer their emails same day.
Reading

We did antagonist IVF [with Dr. Hill] and needed rescue ICSI. It was not automatically done...I over stimulated so we had to do a freeze all cycle. 24 eggs, two embryos...Second round, same protocol but we started with 225 Gonal F and decreased to try to avoid overstimulation. I still overstimulated in final days...was on auto repeat each appointment...Strong presence, and confident. He talks fast. Our actual time with him has been very little. Our follow ups and consult have barely totaled 30 minutes over past year. He does assume you know everything he’s talking about or will research on your own. He did acknowledge I’ve been through a lot and he would be there if I needed to call him. The clinic rotates doctors so he was not the one to perform my retrivals or do my transfers.
Nurses are not warm [at Fertility Centers of New England]...It’s a rotating staff [of nurses] and they use a portal for all communication so it’s very short and to the point...sometimes having to wait over an hour or more for an ultrasound. Lab work usually took only a few minutes. Everything just seems very systematic, no one making small talk or really getting to know me even though I’ve been there frequently...Strengths are they respond in portal quickly. Weaknesses are it’s a baby factory and I don’t really like the staff with exception of one ultrasound tech.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
It’s a baby factory so just be aware of that and try to get over it.
Doctor was on auto repeat each appointment. Nurses are not warm.
First round. We did antagonist IVF and needed rescue ICSI. It was not automatically done. 150 Gonal F, menopur and Cetrotide. I over stimulated so we had to do a freeze all cycle. 24 eggs, two embryos. First transfer, negative second we got a positive but it ended up being chemical pregnancy. Second round, same protocol but we started with 225 Gonal F and decreased to try to avoid overstimulation. I still overstimulated in final days so we did another freeze all. 6 eggs, one embryo. Will be transferring embryo in next coming weeks.
It’s a rotating staff and they use a portal for all communication so it’s very short and to the point.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strengths are they respond in portal quickly. Weaknesses are it’s a baby factory and I don’t really like the staff with exception of one ultrasound tech. They all have an attitude like like is mundane or they are way too fake- for example one of the girls calling our name to come back for ultrasound was overly cheerful and Kept asking how we were today. They day I was there was a follow up to the chemical pregnancy. I said I was fine. She responded oh come on, just fine?! Then she wispered to the nurse “oh it’s one of those days today.”
Very early and with traffic, I’d have to leave house by 6am. Cattle call for sure yes, sometimes having to wait over an hour or more for an ultrasound. Lab work usually took only a few minutes. Everything just seems very systematic, no one making small talk or really getting to know me even though I’ve been there frequently.
Dr actually commented that due to my great insurance we could bypass some of the red tape. So all I’ve had is copays ($60 per visit) and paying copays for meds ($550 each round)
He only transfers one embryo to avoid multiples and we were happy with this approach.