Selling medication is not offered

Westborough
33 Lyman Street
Westborough, MA 01581
1-877-26-3483

Danielle [Vitiello] personally responds to all emails, and is incredibly good with knowing all of your information (test results, etc) before she answers, which is reassuring. I worry about doctors having so many patients that they just go surface level with each, and with Danielle and her staff that has never been an issue. When she had to call to give us bad news about a test result, she left an incredibly empathetic message.
Fertility Centers of New England runs like a well-oiled machine, which is incredibly reassuring. They are open for blood work and ultrasounds for a few hours before work, and they gave me tips for what time to arrive to make sure I am in and out in time. The staff are always friendly and confident, and always answer questions over their email system same day.
How was your experience with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
Danielle is optimistic but frank. She talks quickly and seems incredibly confident in how she thinks your treatment will go. While that was very reassuring at the time, it also set us up to expect thing to go well which led to extra disappointment when they didn't. She is happily willing to go over details multiple times if you need things explained again, and although she has a brusque manner we didn't in any way feel rushed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
Write down your questions in advance, so that you don't forget to ask them as things move quickly in an appointment. In our first appointment I was going to take notes, but she said I didn't need to as she'd be writing everything up. I wish I had taken notes anyway, as she talks quickly and I feel like I missed things.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
Danielle personally responds to all emails, and is incredibly good with knowing all of your information (test results, etc) before she answers, which is reassuring. I worry about doctors having so many patients that they just go surface level with each, and with Danielle and her staff that has never been an issue. When she had to call to give us bad news about a test result, she left an incredibly empathetic message.
Describe the protocols Danielle Vitiello used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
After a semen analysis detected a 0 sperm count, my husband saw a urologist recommended by Danielle who diagnosed him with azoospermia, so we will be using donor sperm. We are currently researching sperm banks. Once we choose a donor, Danielle recommended two rounds of IUI, despite the low success rate, just to try before we move on to IVF if needed, for insurance and age purposes as I am almost 40.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of New England.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
They see a lot of patients, but in a way it is reassuring that this is not their first rodeo. I really appreciate their email system, as opposed to leaving a message for a doctor, waiting for them to call you back, and hoping it's at a time when you are free. They always answer their emails same day.
Describe Danielle Vitiello's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Reading

She [Dr. Danielle Vitiello] would always call with my results and always be so positive. She was really nice and I felt very comfortable with her. She did an amazing job with balancing out my medications so our results were perfect...She wouldn't allow me to transfer more than one...It's one doctor in the office and they book one appointment at a time. My doctor always remembered me and was very easy to talk to.
This clinic [Fertility Centers of New England] has awesome doctors. Very organized portal messages with written instructions on next steps with medications and dosages. Some of the staff you talk to on the phone are very nice. Others not so much...All ultrasounds and blood work appointments are only available Monday through Saturday 6:30am-7:15 am...The doctor's office was not over crowded. It's one doctor in the office and they book one appointment at a time.
She was awesome. She would always call with my results and always be so positive. She was really nice and I felt very comfortable with her. She did an amazing job with balancing out my medications so our results were perfect.
Don't rush the process. There are always lots of delays
The doctor's office was not over crowded. It's one doctor in the office and they book one appointment at a time. My doctor always remembered me and was very easy to talk to. She was always very positive which helps me when I am nervous or feel doubts
For ivf I did gonal f, menopur, and cetrotide. Then finished with a trigger shot. I don't remember dosages. But I did go in every three days for follicle scans and blood work.
This was where your treated as a number. They only communicate through email and don't usually talk over the phone. Which I personally don't like because it's nice being able to reach and talk to a nurse when you need it. Even if it's for a silly question
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
This clinic has awesome doctors. Very organized portal messages with written instructions on next steps with medications and dosages. Some of the staff you talk to on the phone are very nice. Others not so much. I just feel like your in a difficult time in your life and it makes it more difficult when staff aren't friendly
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of New England.
All ultrasounds and blood work appointments are only available Monday through Saturday 6:30am-7:15 am. This mades appointments difficult if you have young kids but convenient if you have to work
Describe the costs associated with your care under Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England.
It all depends on your insurance coverage. If your insurance covers then you will have to pay what your out of pocket for the year is. Know your coverage with your insurance and you will know your costs
She wouldn't allow me to transfer more than one. But I am ok with that because it's the greatest chance to a healthy live birth

2020, Unsuccessful
I have DOR and was supposed to use microdose lupron [with Dr. Vitiello], but it was forgotten. I had no day-5 embryos...There was no apology or solution offered. Instead, I was treated very poorly...There is no contact with the doctor during your cycle. The only contact is after the retrieval. When my embryos didn't make it to day 5, a random doctor left me a voicemail to give me the news...When I told her about my previous experiences, she was not willing to listen because it wasn't "her data". I may not be a doctor, but I definitely know my experiences personally. Leading up to the cycle, I had numerous consults with her, which were all very positive. The actual cycle was incredibly disappointing.
I had very little interaction with the nursing staff [at Fertility Centers of New England]. My monitoring and labs were all done by outsourced parties who could not answer any of my questions. The doctor made a mistake on my treatment protocol, which resulted in zero day-5 embryos. There was no apology or solution offered. Instead, I was treated very poorly...The nurses and lab staff are outsourced and cannot answer any questions...The nurses/coordinators repeatedly sent my prescriptions to the wrong pharmacy and misspelled my name.
It took me one year to be able to do IVF. Dr. Vitiello was aware of this and when I finally was able to do it, she made a mistake on my medication. I ended up with zero day-5 embryos. There was never an apology or an offer to try again on them with the appropriate medication. When I told her about my previous experiences, she was not willing to listen because it wasn't "her data". I may not be a doctor, but I definitely know my experiences personally. Leading up to the cycle, I had numerous consults with her, which were all very positive. The actual cycle was incredibly disappointing.
Double check your treatment protocol.
estrogen priming, 450 IU gonal, cetrotide, I have DOR and was supposed to use microdose lupron, but it was forgotten. I had no day-5 embryos.
I had very little interaction with the nursing staff. My monitoring and labs were all done by outsourced parties who could not answer any of my questions. That is awful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The monitoring (u/s and labs) is outsourced and no one can answer any questions. There is no doctor communication until after the cycle. Any doctor will make decisions on your case regardless of whether they know your case. After I found out that the clinic messed up on my treatment protocol, I told the doctor who was on-call (they wouldn't let me talk to my doctor). The doctor then told me that I "should have little hope anyway." There was no apology for messing up! My doctor had never said that I should have little hope and was always very positive. It was devastating to hear. I would never go back to this clinic.
Outsourced techs who could not answer any questions.
My insurance covered most of the treatment.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England.
*The doctor made a mistake on my treatment protocol, which resulted in zero day-5 embryos. There was no apology or solution offered. Instead, I was treated very poorly. *The nurses and lab staff are outsourced and cannot answer any questions. *The doctor doesn't listen to patients. *The nurses/coordinators repeatedly sent my prescriptions to the wrong pharmacy and misspelled my name. *Terrible patient care/consideration.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Vitiello never did a single one of our procedures, and wasn’t even the one to call with the results for the frozen transfer. We haven’t heard from her in weeks and have decided to switch to another doctor within the clinic because the trust is completely gone...We saw her 3 times for consults… one I had to advocate for after a failed cycle. We had very little contact with her or information given unless explicitly asked for....
you get pushed through and they [Fertility Centers of New England] don’t pay a lot of attention to you as an individual. You have to really advocate for yourself to get the information you should be naturally given...[monitoring appointments are] 6:30-7:15 first come first serve… you have to get there earlier because people start lining up by 6:15...We had to request more information and test results several times. A little bit short and cold when you ask additional questions
We were initially very hopeful. Dr. Vitiello stated that she had full confidence in our success. We ended up completing 2 egg retrieval cycles. The first 8 eggs were retrieved, resulting in 2 viable embryos. One was transferred and one was frozen. The transfer failed. She then suggested we do another retrieval to get as many embryos as possible for future children. She changed our medications slightly. We ended up with 0 embryos. We then did a from embryo transfer with our last remaining embryo, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Vitiello never did a single one of our procedures, and wasn’t even the one to call with the results for the frozen transfer. We haven’t heard from her in weeks and have decided to switch to another doctor within the clinic because the trust is completely gone.
See someone else. She’s very unclear with her plan, and you have to really advocate for any face time with her. And then when you talk to her she doesn’t give you any clear information unless you ask for more explanation, she just assumes you know the entire process.
1st retrieval cycle- gonal 1x/day, cetrotide, menopur, progesterone in oil 2nd retrieval cycle- gonal 2x/day, cetrotide , progesterone in oil FET- estrace 2mg 2x/day orally and vaginally, 1mg progestrone in oil
Not a lot of communication overall. They were very Clear with the portal messages and medication instructions. We had to request more information and test results several times. A little bit short and cold when you ask additional questions
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It’s a baby factory… you get pushed through and they don’t pay a lot of attention to you as an individual. You have to really advocate for yourself to get the information you should be naturally given
Insurance covered a lot of it, but the 2 additional tests she recommended was uncovered and cost $2500 a piece
Our insurance only allowed for single for the first 3 and then can switch to multiple

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Hill seems very knowledgeable. He's also very busy, so you'll need to stay on top of the details of your own treatment and test results...During appointments and consultations, he has sometimes forgotten whether I'm an IUI or IVF patient, and key facts about my fertility issues (e.g. whether my cycles are regular or not)...His manner is more clinical and rushed than warm, but that doesn't bother me.
The nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] communicate very well over the online portal. My only complaint is that twice they have said I need to come in for blood tests, when what really needed to happen was a blood test and an ultrasound (they neglected to mention the ultrasound)...care team seems knowledgeable and efficient. Dr. Hill took my financial concerns seriously...gave me several options that could work for me.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Hill seems very knowledgeable. He's also very busy, so you'll need to stay on top of the details of your own treatment and test results. His manner is more clinical and rushed than warm, but that doesn't bother me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
I think Dr. Hill's treatment plan for me is probably pretty good. During appointments and consultations, he has sometimes forgotten whether I'm an IUI or IVF patient, and key facts about my fertility issues (e.g. whether my cycles are regular or not).
Describe the protocols Joseph Hill used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
I have significantly diminished ovarian reserve for my age. Dr. Hill prescribed Letrozole.
The nurses communicate very well over the online portal. My only complaint is that twice they have said I need to come in for blood tests, when what really needed to happen was a blood test and an ultrasound (they neglected to mention the ultrasound).
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The clinic is great about online communication through the portal. Dr. Hill's care team seems knowledgeable and efficient. Dr. Hill took my financial concerns seriously and gave me several options that could work for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England.
My IUI procedure cost $500.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Weiss was never prepared for appointments, never really explained anything, and was always late...There were too many red flags and I wish I paid attention to them sooner. It seems like he only has one protocol and does not make many tweaks...I wasted a year of my life, do your research before you get assigned a random doctor....
The monitoring staff and nurses are wonderful at Fertility Centers of New England. They always provided guidance and clarification when needed and were always available...Just make sure you do your research if you are randomly assigned a doctor... [staff] forgot to order one of my medications...they blamed the pharmacy, but when I called the pharmacy, they blamed FCNE. I assume someone forgot to list it on the orders. As a result, I missed two doses.
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
During my first cycle, someone at FCNE forgot to submit an order for Gonal-F, but I received all other medications. When I called FCNE, they blamed the pharmacy, but when I called the pharmacy, they blamed FCNE. I assume someone forgot to list it on the orders. As a result, I missed two doses. I am on a statin for high cholesterol, not once was I told to stop taking it, even though I went over my regular medications with Dr. Weiss several times. I just transferred to a new fertility clinic where they told me to stop taking the statin immediately. Women on statins rarely get pregnant. Dr. Weiss is never prepared for appointments and seems to only use one protocol, don’t waste your time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Monitoring staff and nurses were great.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The monitoring staff and nurses are wonderful at Fertility Centers of New England. They always provided guidance and clarification when needed and were always available. I do regret wasting a year with Dr Weiss. I truly believe he is on the verge of retirement and he is trying to coast along until then. There were too many red flags and I wish I paid attention to them sooner. It seems like he only has one protocol and does not make many tweaks. I also have experience with two other doctors at Fertility Centers of New England. They performed my egg retrieval and transfer. They were wonderful and attentive. Just make sure you do your research if you are randomly assigned a doctor.
The ladies at monitoring were the best, they made the experience tolerable.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
The forgot to order one of my medications, but blamed the pharmacy.
Reading

[Dr. Beth Plante] is kind and considerate. She is clearly very knowledgeable and I felt that I was in good hands. The office is very timely and efficient so sometimes it felt like she was in a rush...Her communication style is honest and she is willing to answer questions but it also feels like she’s ready to move on...but she always answered all my questions...She knows what’s she’s talking about.
[ Fertility Centers of New England] is very efficient and has great times for tests and appointments. Everyone is very willing to answer questions so don’t be afraid to ask...billing system needs to be updated...Having to call or mail payments is fine, just not current. Make sure you go to the right location as they have multiple. The Boston office is easier to get to than I thought...parking is close!
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Plante is kind and considerate. She is clearly very knowledgeable and I felt that I was in good hands. The office is very timely and efficient so sometimes it felt like she was in a rush but she always answered all my questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Trust her! She knows what’s she’s talking about.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
The clinical team communicates very well through the online portal!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The clinic is very efficient and has great times for tests and appointments. Everyone is very willing to answer questions so don’t be afraid to ask. I do think that their billing system needs to be updated and maybe connected to the portal they already have. Having to call or mail payments is fine, just not current. Make sure you go to the right location as they have multiple. The Boston office is easier to get to than I thought it would be and parking is close!
Reading

I had to constantly remind him [Dr. Robert Weiss] of my conditions, history and path forward every single time we sat together. How many times should you need to remind your doctor that you cannot take birth control due to a blood clotting disorder?...He quite literally remembers nothing about you from one visit to the next...we did not appreciate being automatically put onto a standard protocol without special consideration for our needs and/or health conditions. If I was not acutely aware of my own health and fertility concepts , we might have been talked into the completely wrong choice. In the end, I truly believe that had another doctor not stepped in to assist our case, we may have repeate
Strengths of the clinic [Fertility Centers of New England]: locations, early AM hours for bloodwork and monitoring, ability to do procedures at all times/days due to many physicians, numbers, money. Weaknesses: No personal treatment, you are a number, disorganized and unfriendly patient coordination, slow insurance processing team, inconsistency in interpretation of monitoring results from site-to-site, too many physicians involved to have personal touch, completely inflexible and stubborn in their ways - " the protocol is the protocol, the procedure is the procedure".
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Weiss is not an unfriendly person; I think he quite possibly could be a nice guy to know. Unfortunately, his mannerisms in the office did not convey confidence or give us the impression that he was "in our corner". In the grand scheme of infertility cases, my husband and I are quite straightforward. However, we did not appreciate being automatically put onto a standard protocol without special consideration for our needs and/or health conditions. If I was not acutely aware of my own health and fertility concepts , we might have been talked into the completely wrong choice. In the end, I truly believe that had another doctor not stepped in to assist our case, we may have repeated this unsuccessful transfer protocol over and over. There is a benefit to having a gigantic clinic, and perhaps some find the mechanics and timing of that helpful. However, this really strained the relationship between us and Dr. Weiss, and I would not recommend this additional stress to anyone already going through infertility.
You are going to have to advocate for yourself HARD. You have to constantly remind the doctor of everything about you, all the time. If you are not comfortable with that, or do not know this process very well, we would advise seeking alternate care.
I believe that Dr. Weiss, like many physicians, does not mean harm toward his patients. However, his bedside manner really leaves something to be desired, and the way he and the other doctors & staff conduct business in this practice is shameful. You sit among a huge group of persons waiting in a huge room, and sign yourself in. You wait tremendous amounts of time, and are treated like farm animals being milked. The one-on-one consults with Dr. Weiss feel no different, and I would say worse. I had to constantly remind him of my conditions, history and path forward every single time we sat together. How many times should you need to remind your doctor that you cannot take birth control due to a blood clotting disorder? Your health and well-being should be their top priority, followed second by their drive to get you to your goals of starting or growing your family. He quite literally remembers nothing about you from one visit to the next, and I am not sure he is aware how hurtful, scary and devastating that is to a couple going through this already horrible experience.
Describe the protocols Robert Weiss used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
In summary, we did a total of 2 egg retrieval cycles, 2 transfer cycles, and many halted processes in between. We began this journey knowing of our medical history with male factor infertility. This knowledge in itself should have prepped the clinic to request back-up cryopreserved sperm in the event anything happened on the physical day of retrieval (i.e. – if there was any issue getting live sperm on the day of egg retrieval). This was not done and cost us a huge portion of time and lots of insurance hurdles to go through. My husband’s medication halted sperm production during the retrieval, and our oocytes were frozen on day of retrieval, which was not something we discussed prior to surgery. I signed consent forms immediately after anesthesia, and while I would have chosen the same thing in another situation, this lack of planning and harried accommodations infuriated us. My husband eventually created multiple back-up vials of sperm and insisted about them being frozen and stored at the clinic. Due to insurance restrictions, we were now forced to use the frozen oocytes to attempt embryo creation, despite the acknowledgement that success rates would be considerably lower. Nothing can describe the heartbreak when FCNE informed us that none of the oocytes survived the thaw, and we would have to undergo a second retrieval process. Months later, due to travel and other conflicts, we had a second egg retrieval done, and the result of this was 5 total embryos using a fresh semen sample produced the day of retrieval. Under the perceived time pressure that many of us feel undergoing infertility, we elected to conduct a fresh transfer cycle with one of the embryos during the same cycle as the retrieval. It was clear my uterus and body were not ideally prepared for this transfer and quite stressed. Needless to say, the transfer of the fresh embryo did not work, and we were able to freeze down 2 other embryos. We were stressed, hopeless and exhausted, and elected to take a couple months off to let my mind and body recover. Upon return, we commenced an estrogen-supported cycle to attempt a transfer. The Estrogen suppressed ovulation, extended my normal 28-day cycles to greater than 46 days, and the endometrial lining never reached the desired thickness despite countless days of monitoring. Frustrated with Dr. Weiss for trying to push this cycle to success when it clearly was not getting there, I asked for medication to induce a period or ‘breakthrough’ bleed (as without ovulation, it was unsure when my body would decide to menstruate). We therefore started a new ‘cycle’ with plenty of added surprises; upon my first blood & ultrasound monitoring, it was clear that the follicle from my last cycle was still maturing in the ovary, and was now nearly ready to ovulate. This is when a second physician at FCNE took a look at my file (by chance? by intervention???) and determined that we should try a ‘natural’ cycle – we would monitor ovulation and do the transfer immediately after. Yes, this involves a lot of monitoring, but it is almost as natural as you can go. No estrogen, just progesterone support to promote the pregnancy. This was our successful cycle. Ten days post-transfer we had a blazing positive pregnancy test. Had we not been allowed to do a natural cycle for transfer, we may have never got here.
I think that because we did not have specific nurses or nursing staff assigned to us, it was very 'hit or miss' if we had good care from the team on a day to day. I will say that the 'lead nurse' or however she was referred to was perhaps the least compassionate human I have ever met, and it was outrageous to me that she was allowed to speak to patients as she did. We limited our discussion with her to only what was absolutely necessary. Some of the nurses were very sweet, some were also very rude. It just depended.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I supposed, like so many things in life, it is a choice you should make based upon your own mental state and stance. If achieving a pregnancy, despite hurdles and feeling like farm cattle, is your goal, this might be perfectly adequate. They have the flexibility, numbers and success rates that suggest it is a worthy clinic. However, I would postulate that the majority of women & couples are in an infertility situation are already mentally and emotionally fragile, and this additional stress provided by this type of clinic seems like the wrong choice for many. Strengths of the clinic: locations, early AM hours for bloodwork and monitoring, ability to do procedures at all times/days due to many physicians, numbers, money. Weaknesses: No personal treatment, you are a number, disorganized and unfriendly patient coordination, slow insurance processing team, inconsistency in interpretation of monitoring results from site-to-site, too many physicians involved to have personal touch, completely inflexible and stubborn in their ways - " the protocol is the protocol, the procedure is the procedure".
Monitoring was very much a 'cattle-call' process. So many persons in a waiting room where you checked yourself in. I think that having the hours early in the AM was convenenient for most, but it was not as convenient as coming in when it made sense for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England.
Thankfully we live in a state with mandated coverage, and our insurance was excellent. We paid for storage of embryos and semen samples, which was in the $100s, but otherwise we only paid our co-pays for cycles and medications.
Describe Robert Weiss's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Single transfer is mandated here, and I support that. As a high-risk patient, I would not have been comfortable with transferring multiple embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Some things that felt like insults at the end of the day: * When we finally got a positive pregnancy test, a random nurse who I never had met called to tell me. I could not believe our own doctor did not call. * Due to male factor infertility, we should have had frozen sperm samples prepared ahead of any egg retrieval cycle, or at least been asked about it. We were not * We constantly had to remind them where we lived, and therefore would prefer to be monitored at the clinic near our home * Insurance procedures and delays were never explained. I understand that department's role is critical and high-volume, but getting zero information about anything which caused months and months of delay was so frustrating * The patient care coordinator lead was NEVER in the office and we could not reach her by phone. It was so sad and frustrating * Our oocytes were destroyed due to hurried procedure to freeze down when we did not have adequate sperm; this resulted in needing to go though multiple retrieval cycles unnecessarily * Prescriptions were sent to pharmacies which did not take our insurance/were out of network, despite us having asked they be sent to places with known coverage * There are standard protocols which you are put onto without any option to discuss or understand alternatives.
Reading

Doctor [Dr. Plante] said that with my age and insurance, it was best to transfer one. I agree, however we never made it that far out to transfer...I just didn't feel like information was explained to me thoroughly, especially with all the test results from diagnosis to treatment. I feel like meets were brief and then on to the next "number". I want it to be more personable, like she actually cares for my fertility sake... If I was to go another round, I would need more confidence from her and her team in explanation of process from start to end, with details and test results, as well as giving us the maximum resources out there that could help our situation.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Centers of New England] were friendly, and tried to help me when I ask. They were overall kind but some of the ultra sound techs were not as friendly...did not call me until 30 minutes before the transfer appointment to tell me that my cycle has been cancelled. It took us over an hour to get to the clinic. They could have called the day before or at least 2 hours prior to our early appt...they did not talk much in regards to my specific situation, or tell me what they are looking for (during ultrasound monitoring) and therefore again made me feel like a number.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Beth Plante is a doctor who seems to know what she is talking about, however I do not feel she has enough experience with my kind of diagnosis in her center therefore I don't feel confident in her direction of leading upon the treatment. If I was to go another round, I would need more confidence from her and her team in explanation of process from start to end, with details and test results, as well as giving us the maximum resources out there that could help our situation.
Ask the doctor to be very thorough with you in detail about the process because if you do not advocate for yourself, then they will simply not share much details with you.
Describe the protocols Beth Plante used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Antagonist Protocol, was suppose to be better with my diagnosis, however I responded poorly to this.
The nursing staff were friendly, and tried to help me when I ask. They were overall kind but some of the ultra sound techs were not as friendly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The office staff was friendly, however they did not talk much in regards to my specific situation, or tell me what they are looking for (during ultrasound monitoring) and therefore again made me feel like a number.
The ultrasound techs were not as friendly and did not explain what they were looking for or what they are seeing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England.
out of pocket total was roughly $400.
Describe Beth Plante's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Doctor said that with my age and insurance, it was best to transfer one. I agree, however we never made it that far out to transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
FCNE did not call me until 30 minutes before the transfer appointment to tell me that my cycle has been cancelled. It took us over an hour to get to the clinic. They could have called the day before or at least 2 hours prior to our early appt.
Reading

Dr V [Vitiello] informed my husband and I that we had "unexplained" infertility. She didn't think I had PCOS (previously diagnosed in 2011 by another doctor) and reported that my husband's sperm analysis was fine. ... found another clinic who used Dr V's test results we were informed we actually have male factor infertility and I was taken off metformin and birth control (which Dr V's office did not have any record of having put me on).
I was informed that I needed to be under a BMI of 38 in order for the anesthesiologist to be able to do his job. ... They [Fertility Centers of New England] had no record of birth control and wrote my refill of metformin for twice the amount of the original script. ... Their record keeping leaves something to be desired. There was no record of putting me on birth control and when I called for a refill of metformin the script was written for twice the amount prescribed the first time with no explanation or testing. They also deal solely with Quest Diagnostics whose billing department is atrocious and never billed me the same way twice and only correctly on the first attempt once. That is the main reason we are leaving.
Dr V informed my husband and I that we had "unexplained" infertility. She didn't think I had PCOS (previously diagnosed in 2011 by another doctor) and reported that my husband's sperm analysis was fine. I was informed that I needed to drop 15 pounds but not explained why. At later appointments with the nurses I was informed that I needed to be under a BMI of 38 in order for the anesthesiologist to be able to do his job. If I had been an inch taller this would not have been an issue. I was instructed to go on a Keto diet and I was unable to handle this due to previous bariatric surgery causing issues with high fat diets. When I researched and found another clinic who used Dr V's test results we were informed we actually have male factor infertility and I was taken off metformin and birth control (which Dr V's office did not have any record of having put me on).
Only go if you're already under a BMI of 38. There's no reasoning for this other than their anesthesiologist doesn't know how to handle obesity.
She was personable and could handle mine and my husband's joking personalities.
We only got through a testing round.
They were personable and competent.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I was 100% insurance coverage after I hit my deductible. I had $30 copays and had to shell out for a few blood tests. My main issue was with Quest Diagnostics and their billing practices.
None
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
I've explained in previous notes. They had no record of birth control and wrote my refill of metformin for twice the amount of the original script.
Bedford

On the first visit with Doctor Wright she was neutral, straight to the point but very informative. After that we never saw her again...is definitely an expert in her field and very informative during the first meeting. Unfortunately that is all I can say about her since we only saw her once to get all the information needed and the second time to sign papers...The nurses took the lead and another doctor was the one during the transfer.
At the end of the cycle [at Fertility Centers of New England], I felt like a number since my nurse that had done the calls and follow up never called me with instructions on how to stop the medication or to give me the negative result. After waiting hours for the call, I called to confirm that had been a negative cycle...I do have to say that I am currently doing a cycle and her communication has improved, Sheri’s prompt to get any information I request, always touch bases about my results and is very encouraging about everything
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England?
Doctor Write is definitely an expert in her field and very informative during the first meeting. Unfortunately that is all I can say about her since we only saw her once to get all the information needed and the second time to sign papers. After that we never saw or heard from her again. The nurses took the lead and another doctor was the one during the transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England?
If you like a warm, caring doctor, she may not be the right doctor for you but she is extremely knowledgeable in her field and will take her time to answer all of your questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England?
On the first visit with Doctor Wright she was neutral, straight to the point but very informative. After that we never saw her again. The nurses in the clinic were very nice and definitely don’t treat you like a number. The doctor during transfer was a doctor I was seeing for the first time (which I did not expect that or was informed Dr Wright wouldn’t be performing the transfer) and he was nice but again straight to the procedure. The nurses there were again lovely and very warming. At the end of the cycle, I felt like a number since my nurse that had done the calls and follow up never called me with instructions on how to stop the medication or to give me the negative result. After waiting hours for the call, I called to confirm that had been a negative cycle
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Since my cycle was a donor cycle she prepared my body with estrogen, increasing the dosage every week and introduced progesterone in oil one week before the embryo transfer. When my uterine pinning wasn’t thick enough, she delayed the cycle a week, hold off on progesterone and increased the estrogen intake. That week delay was enough to get my body where it needed to be for the embryo transfer. The pregnancy result negative
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Christen Anderson)
On the first cycle, she took over in the middle of the cycle from another nurse that was leaving the clinic. When the result was negative on that cycle, she never called to follow up with results nor guided me on how to proceed about stoping the medication. I do have to say that I am currently doing a cycle and her communication has improved, Sheri’s prompt to get any information I request, always touch bases about my results and is very encouraging about everything
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I like the fact that they have clinics in many places making the weekly bloodwork a lot easier and accommodating. I didn’t like the fact that the doctor you so carefully selected, does not perform the embryo transfer. You simply get the doctor that is working that day, someone that you don’t trust or never seen before.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Fertility Centers of New England.
About $20k plus medication
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
The only thing I would say that wasn’t efficient was the lack of information that your doctor would not be performing the embryo transfer and at a negative result, no one called me to let me know. I was told at blood work that someone would be calling mid morning with results but no one did. It wasn’t until early afternoon that I called to check and they confirm what I thought was going to be the results.
Kristen Wright
Boston

We did antagonist IVF [with Dr. Hill] and needed rescue ICSI. It was not automatically done...I over stimulated so we had to do a freeze all cycle. 24 eggs, two embryos...Second round, same protocol but we started with 225 Gonal F and decreased to try to avoid overstimulation. I still overstimulated in final days...was on auto repeat each appointment...Strong presence, and confident. He talks fast. Our actual time with him has been very little. Our follow ups and consult have barely totaled 30 minutes over past year. He does assume you know everything he’s talking about or will research on your own. He did acknowledge I’ve been through a lot and he would be there if I needed to call him. The clinic rotates doctors so he was not the one to perform my retrivals or do my transfers.
Nurses are not warm [at Fertility Centers of New England]...It’s a rotating staff [of nurses] and they use a portal for all communication so it’s very short and to the point...sometimes having to wait over an hour or more for an ultrasound. Lab work usually took only a few minutes. Everything just seems very systematic, no one making small talk or really getting to know me even though I’ve been there frequently...Strengths are they respond in portal quickly. Weaknesses are it’s a baby factory and I don’t really like the staff with exception of one ultrasound tech.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
It’s a baby factory so just be aware of that and try to get over it.
Doctor was on auto repeat each appointment. Nurses are not warm.
First round. We did antagonist IVF and needed rescue ICSI. It was not automatically done. 150 Gonal F, menopur and Cetrotide. I over stimulated so we had to do a freeze all cycle. 24 eggs, two embryos. First transfer, negative second we got a positive but it ended up being chemical pregnancy. Second round, same protocol but we started with 225 Gonal F and decreased to try to avoid overstimulation. I still overstimulated in final days so we did another freeze all. 6 eggs, one embryo. Will be transferring embryo in next coming weeks.
It’s a rotating staff and they use a portal for all communication so it’s very short and to the point.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strengths are they respond in portal quickly. Weaknesses are it’s a baby factory and I don’t really like the staff with exception of one ultrasound tech. They all have an attitude like like is mundane or they are way too fake- for example one of the girls calling our name to come back for ultrasound was overly cheerful and Kept asking how we were today. They day I was there was a follow up to the chemical pregnancy. I said I was fine. She responded oh come on, just fine?! Then she wispered to the nurse “oh it’s one of those days today.”
Very early and with traffic, I’d have to leave house by 6am. Cattle call for sure yes, sometimes having to wait over an hour or more for an ultrasound. Lab work usually took only a few minutes. Everything just seems very systematic, no one making small talk or really getting to know me even though I’ve been there frequently.
Dr actually commented that due to my great insurance we could bypass some of the red tape. So all I’ve had is copays ($60 per visit) and paying copays for meds ($550 each round)
Describe Joseph Hill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
He only transfers one embryo to avoid multiples and we were happy with this approach.
Reading

With our unexplained infertility she [Dr. Vitiello] gave us the best course of action that she thought would work for us...She is very down to earth, and doesn’t hold back information. Gives you very valuable opinions...She makes the whole process a little less stressful. She is serious yet tries to lighten the mood which is much needed. She is also very truthful and does not tell you what you want to hear, instead the facts and opinions based on those facts.
Waiting room [at Fertility Centers of New England] is small. Could feel a bit more comforting, less like a dr. Office waiting room. Other than that it is great. They are open early for bloodwork and ultrasounds which is helpful. Multiple locations also helps...[nurses are] Very quick to respond...It’s a first come first serve basis [for monitoring]. You sign in on a clipboard and they call you in order...Costs were $10,000 for IVF. $1,800 for frozen transfer. Another $4,000 for meds but that’s different for everyone.
Go in with an open mind
It’s hard because everyone is different. With our unexplained infertility she gave us the best course of action that she thought would work for us.
Very quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Waiting room is small. Could feel a bit more comforting, less like a dr. Office waiting room. Other than that it is great. They are open early for bloodwork and ultrasounds which is helpful. Multiple locations also helps.
It’s a first come first serve basis. You sign in on a clipboard and they call you in order.
She has had twins herself and so she has insights on one vs. two. She makes it 100% your decision and stands behind it.
Bedford

[Dr. Beth Plante] has amazing bedside manner and made me feel very comfortable. I was very lucky to find her. The only negative is she wasn’t scheduled on the day of my retrieval...Dr Plante was scheduled on the day of my transfer though and I was so happy to have her do it. She is encouraging and a great doctor...IVF with PGS was really the only option...If you prefer female doctors and want one that will be patient with you and caring, Dr Plante is the person to see
the process of doing bloodwork early in the morning and coming into the clinic [Fertility Centers of New England] while it was still dark out felt very lonely and isolating...Bloodwork was quick but ultrasounds [during monitoring] took awhile if you weren’t one of the first to arrive in the morning and put your name on the list...Would have been great to have more face to face interaction with the care team while going in for bloodwork in the early mornings. That piece felt cold and isolating. The women who did the bloodwork were great. It was also very daunting to deal with the injections on my own. Would be great if there was a class to attend where an RN showed your husband how to do it
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante has amazing bedside manner and made me feel very comfortable. I was very lucky to find her. The only negative is she wasn’t scheduled on the day of my retrieval and I didn’t love Dr Weiss, he was kinda odd. Dr Plante was scheduled on the day of my transfer though and I was so happy to have her do it. She is encouraging and a great doctor
Dr Plante was amazing but the process of doing bloodwork early in the morning and coming into the clinic while it was still dark out felt very lonely and isolating
IVF with PGS was really the only option
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: It was a Care Team )
Dr Plante had her own care team of 5 nurses
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Bloodwork was quick but ultrasounds took awhile if you weren’t one of the first to arrive in the morning and put your name on the list
$2k
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
They [staff at Fertility Centers of New England] are great. Very sweet and efficient...She [Dr. Beth Plante] is extremely kind and caring and answered all my questions happily...Wonderful doctor. Sweet and knowledgeable. Love her. She made me feel like I could ask her anything and was genuinely sad when I lost my first baby. She works hard with her team to provide excellent care and it shows...I’ve gotten pregnant both times I’ve tried but babies didn’t developed past week 8...You’re going to love her.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
You’re going to love her.
She is extremely kind and caring and answered all my questions happily
Nothing specific that I recall
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
They are great. Very sweet and efficient.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Not sure but I’ve gotten pregnant both times I’ve tried but babies didn’t developed past week 8. Don’t know what could could be done differently maybe more frequent bloodwork to show if medication is proper dose
Nothing covered by insurance for me at all

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
When ever we reach out to her nursing staff with questions for the doctor she [Dr. Vitiello] always makes time to personally call us and answer questions or will also leave a voice mail as to not leave us in the dark.... She’s straight forward tells you how it is and explains in even more detail when you ask questions.... We have done 5 letrizole cycles with no monitoring dosage was 5mg x 5 days. This was done because FCNE thought it was the only thing covered through TRIcare Then we explained what they (TRIcare) would cover at a follow up/ create a new plan appointment and switched to the protocol below.
Multiple locations [FCNE - Reading] with multiple doctors both male and female doctors. Monitoring happens early in the morning to help for those who need to get to work on time. Getting an appointment with a doctor can have a several week delay. Same goes for scheduling surgeries. An outside company (quest) does blood work at their location in Bedford so you won’t hear back with results until afternoon. Busy days mean longer wait time for results.
She makes you feel at home and equal. There is no I’m better than you or prissyness because she is a doctor. She loves when we bring our miracle daughter in with us and jokes that my husband and I are just along to bring our daughter to see her. She’s straight forward tells you how it is and explains in even more detail when you ask questions. She cares about your personal life and shares some of hers as well so that y’all can create a strong trusting relationship with her. She also has an amazing sense of humor! At my past clinic we felt like a number with Dr Vitiello we don’t.
Make sure you’re open with her and don’t be afraid to ask all your questions, she will happily answer and even go into more detail if that’s what you’re looking for!
When ever we reach out to her nursing staff with questions for the doctor she always makes time to personally call us and answer questions or will also leave a voice mail as to not leave us in the dark.
We have done 5 letrizole cycles with no monitoring dosage was 5mg x 5 days. This was done because FCNE thought it was the only thing covered through TRIcare Then we explained what they (TRIcare) would cover at a follow up/ create a new plan appointment and switched to the protocol below. We have done 4 injectable cycles with Gonal f and letrizole with monitoring 3-4 times each cycle 1st cycle 75 iu days 2-7 triggered with ovidril on day 8 2nd the same as above 3rd cycle 75 iu days 2-4 150 iu days 5-7 triggered day 8 with ovidril Cycle 4 new protocol days 2-4 150 iu all follicles under 10mm, days 5-7 225 iu day 8 to many follicles no injection day 9 cycle canceled due to 9 mature follicles ranging in size from 14-18
Attenitive to answer my questions and fixing issues quickly. Lack of communication has happened a couple of times.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Multiple locations with multiple doctors both male and female doctors. Monitoring happens early in the morning to help for those who need to get to work on time. Getting an appointment with a doctor can have a several week delay. Same goes for scheduling surgeries. An outside company (quest) does blood work at their location in Bedford so you won’t hear back with results until afternoon. Busy days mean longer wait time for results.
We have a cost share with our insurance. Each injectable cycle with monitoring costs us around $100 and then $100 for medication. We however do not have any IVF coverage.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
There seems to be one bad apple of a nurse that can’t seem to do her job correctly. Forgets to put orders in for things ie ultrasound has happened twice. Has given results with out full instructions. Tends to be short and do just the bare minimum.

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Hill is a very bright and experienced doctor. While he explains everything, sometimes I wish he would slow down a bit to allow for better absorption of information and understanding. At times, he seems closed off to alternate treatments, but I attribute that to the fact that he's been doing this for a long time and knows what works....Now that I'm over 40, we use an antagonist down regulation protocol (using Estrace and Cetrotide). Stimmimg consists of 300 gonal-F, 150 Menopur and Cetrotide. I've produced 4+ eggs with each cycle. For one cycle, we tried the Lupron microflare protocol (in an attempt to harvest more eggs).
The clinic is organized, well-run and has kind and knowledgeable staff. The nurse care-team is outstanding.... Monitoring is done at several satellite offices, which makes it convenient. The hours at the office I typically monitored at were 7:00-7:30 am.... They [nursing staff] are incredible. I felt so well cared for. They are responsive (always before the end of the day), caring and kind. There was one nurse, Christine Mazri, who went out of her way to be there for me throughout my procedures. However, all of the nurses on Dr. Hill's care team are fabulous.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Bring a notepad to take notes when Dr. Hill speaks. Sometimes he goes to fast and it feels a bit rushed.
The nurses at FCNE are amazing! They are warm, caring and always make me feel important.
Now that I'm over 40, we use an antagonist down regulation protocol (using Estrace and Cetrotide). Stimmimg consists of 300 gonal-F, 150 Menopur and Cetrotide. I've produced 4+ eggs with each cycle. For one cycle, we tried the Lupron microflare protocol (in an attempt to harvest more eggs). Unfortunately, that cycle ended up being cancelled because I had one lead follicle and the others failed to grow.
They are incredible. I felt so well cared for. They are responsive (always before the end of the day), caring and kind. There was one nurse, Christine Mazri, who went out of her way to be there for me throughout my procedures. However, all of the nurses on Dr. Hill's care team are fabulous.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The clinic is organized, well-run and has kind and knowledgeable staff. The nurse care-team is outstanding. Compared to what I hear patients of other clinics complain about, I can't think of any complaints.
Monitoring is done at several satellite offices, which makes it convenient. The hours at the office I typically monitored at were 7:00-7:30 am. I am a single mom of a young child so it was sometimes hard to get there by 7:30. Also, on Sundays, you need to go to the Reading office and sometimes you would need to wait for over an hour if you needed an ultrasound. I live 45 minutes away from that office so a Sunday monitoring, it was often close to 3 hours including travel time. I dreaded Sunday monitoring.
IUI-$500 per cycle PGS- $2650 regardless of quantity of embryos being tested.
Due to my age, Dr Hill was fine with me transferring 3 embryos at a time. He explained to me that it was highly unlikely that that would result in multiple babies. He was right!

2014 - 2018, Successful
Dr. Hill is wonderful. He is straight forward without being harsh and will give you the information you mean without fluff. I prefer that over sugar coating! I know some have thought he was "mean" but I never had that experience and from reading reviews, I think his was more often than not, related to him critiquing patient's weight.... I have always done the standard lupin protocol, but for my next one we are changing it up to the micro flare lupron in hopes of getting more embryos
I love ALL of the nurses at FCNE. They've always been kind when things haven't gone our way, and given us hope to move forward. I think ti takes a special person to be a fertility nurse and FCNE has the best!... Communication great! Patient Liaison is amazing. Early morning monitoring hours make it easy to get to work and pursue treatment. I have never once regretted my choice to go to FCNE. If you are thinking of IVF please consult with Dr. Hill and crew.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask questions! He often comes across as speeding through appointments/consults, but it isn't because he doesn't care. He just has a plan and knows what it is! Trust him!
I always felt like Dr. Hill gave me the time to answer questions. I think a Dr is only as strong as his support team, and the nursing staff at FCNE is top notch, and i felt like together, they all treated me like a person, not a number.
I have always done the standard lupin protocol, but for my next one we are changing it up to the micro flare lupron in hopes of getting more embryos!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Blood work is first, and usually that staff arrives really early so you can get that done and be first in line for U/S.
Self pay and it isn't cheap but FCNE seemed to have the most affordable.
We only did one transfer where we transferred two embryos, so i cannot speak to this much.
Portsmouth

Dr. Plante is very knowledgeable and informative. She has an amazing bedside manner and is very empathetic. She even called me on Sunday to deliver the news herself...takes the time to get to know her patients. She explains things well and is usually easy to understand and follow. I trust her completely. I have recommended her to others and will continue to do so. I think it’s great that she delivers news herself even if she’s not working.
They are called Fertility Centers of New England but there are no offices in RI or CT. They only do 5 day transfers, no exceptions. Even when I didn’t see my regular doctor for retrievals I always felt safe. The portal makes communication so much easier. No panicking because you missed a call...Everyone is knowledgeable and patient and typically respond quickly. I love Melissa and Allison in Braintree that do the monitoring and Kelly is awesome.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante takes the time to get to know her patients. She explains things well and is usually easy to understand and follow. I trust her completely. I have recommended her to others and will continue to do so. I think it’s great that she delivers news herself even if she’s not working.
Bring a notebook. She takes kind of fast because she has a lot to say.
Antagonist and lupron flair both with birth control suppression. And a lupron flair with estrace suppression. Antagonist produced the most eggs but the lowest quality. Lupron flair less eggs but better quality. So we tried Lupron Flair without birth control and it was worse than any other cycles.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Smooth, seamless. Melissa and Alison in Braintree are amazing you are in and out of there. In Reading it is busier so it isn’t as smooth it takes a lot longer to get in and out. But the nurses are great.
A lot was covered by insurance but not all bills have been received yet
Reading

Although we never got as far as a transfer, Dr. Hill indicated that he would transfer 2 embryos if that was our wish. He left it totally up to us...I reached out to Dr. Hill’s office within the year we first started (about 10-11 months after our first cycle) to complete our last “free” cycle. Dr Hill met with us personally and explained that we were technically over our time limit, and indicated that it *shouldn’t* be free. He was not very friendly about this fact
Strengths [at Fertility Centers of New England]: price tag (especially in comparison to other northern New England clinics). Patient portal (the nurses were very prompt in responding to any and all questions on the portal). Weaknesses: quality of care. Tweaking protocol when cycles failed. No communication with or from the lab. Patient has little or no say in treatment...we did a “buy two get one free” package. I reached out to Dr. Hill’s office within the year we first started (about 10-11 months after our first cycle) to complete our last “free” cycle.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
We had one phone consultation with Dr. Hill before our first IVF cycle. He did not do our egg retrieval nor did he check in during monitoring. He did not call when the cycle failed. We met with him (which we initiated) to plan our second cycle. We were all still hopeful at this point and he was fairly outgoing and conversational. He did not do any monitoring or the egg retrieval, and again, no contact during the cycle. He called to recommend donor eggs when he called to tell me the cycle failed. We met with him several months later, and was a little less friendly at this point, because as he explained, we were using a “free cycle” that he didn’t feel should be free (he stated we had waited too long for to use our 2 for 1 cycle). He did do that egg retreival, and left me a voicemail the next day that was about ten seconds long, that said “Hey Meredith, not good news unfortunately. As predicted, no eggs fertilized this cycle. I’m going to recommend you try donor eggs. Bye bye now.” And we have never talked since.
His clinic is affordable, which is why we went with him. We did not have a good experience (x3). I would gladly pay a little more for a better experience overall— even if the cycle ultimately failed. Our cycles all failed, which may or may not have been Dr. Hill’s fault (he never really tweaked the protocol, he just continued to recommend donor eggs). It was the overall experience that we remember and want others to know about.
1.) Although there were many friendly faces during monitoring, there were no initial instructions about what to expect during monitoring. There is no receptionist working during that time, so I didn’t know where to even sign in or what to expect. 2.) Dr Hill saw us in the parking lot on the way into our last egg retrieval and looked through us as if he didn’t know us, even after I smiled and gave a quiet “hello”. 3.) Dr Hill called me the day our embryo arrested and very bluntly said to turn to donor eggs. During our follow up meeting, he agreed to try one with my eggs more time with very little persuasion on my end. I felt as though he did not need to make that donor egg recommendation over the phone, one breath after telling me that our cycle failed. 4.)we did a “buy two get one free” package. I reached out to Dr. Hill’s office within the year we first started (about 10-11 months after our first cycle) to complete our last “free” cycle. Dr Hill met with us personally and explained that we were technically over our time limit, and indicated that it *shouldn’t* be free. He was not very friendly about this fact, and indicated that he was doing it as a favor for us, which I did not appreciate because we bought our first two cycles fair and square, and were completing our last cycle within the agreed upon timeframe.
We used antagonist (Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide) for two cycles and Long Lupron for one cycle.
The nurses were for the most part friendly. The one expection was when my husband and I questioned the timing of our trigger shot, the nurse told us to “trust the doctor and stay off Google.”
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strengths: price tag (especially in comparison to other northern New England clinics). Patient portal (the nurses were very prompt in responding to any and all questions on the portal). Weaknesses: quality of care. Tweaking protocol when cycles failed. No communication with or from the lab. Patient has little or no say in treatment.
Overall monitoring worked like a well-oiled machine, once you know the process.
We did a two cycles for the price of one deal that included monitoring, egg retrieval and transfer. Medications were separate.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Our clinic has multiple locations. You get orders during the monitoring portion of the cycle that indicates where you need to go for monitoring the next day. I was once given orders to go to the wrong clinic. Luckily I questioned it before I went. In my last cycle the doc put me on a thyroid medicine and just told me to stay on it “through the duration of my pregnancy”. I never got pregnant, nor did I make it as far as a transfer. They told me to stop my fertility meds after our cycle failed but never gave instructions regarding the thyroid medicine. When I called to ask about it, they said to check with my PCP... even though it was Dr. Hill who put me on it in the first place.
Portsmouth

One nurse [at Fertility Centers of New Englad] scheduled a procedure for that I didn't need yet failed to inform me of this prior to my taking time off of work and showing up for said procedure. Some were for short on the phone with me. Very few I feel actually cared. Michelle the ultrasound tech in Boston is WONDERFUL as is Carolyn the phlebotomist. The phlebotomists in Reading however, told me I had nothing to worry about when I started bleeding when I in fact had a miscarriage
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
At the very beginning of the IVF cycle treatment, I was prescribed estrogen and blood tests showed due to my age, my body was slow to react to it. My dosage was doubled and I was told to come back in three days for monitoring. At that point, my estrogen levels were way too high and I was prescribed another drug to DECREASE it. They were still so high that a fresh embryo transfer wasn't even possible let alone getting valid embryos from the retrieval. We were not offered the option of PGS testing as I believe Dr. Weiss knew very well that none of them were going to work. And after being overmedicated, Dr. Weiss did not adjust his plan other than delaying the embryo transfer, he just proceeded with protocol. Without even asking or being told, Dr. Vitiello did my third transfer which ended in a miscarriage. The whole time Dr Weiss kept repeating "There is no reason why this shouldn't work" and "Everything looks perfect." I spoke with him and politely requested he be transparent with us and he became incredibly defensive. Have not heard from him since we miscarried. I never once was under the impression that Dr. Weiss really cared or hoped that we got pregnant. He was late to every appointment and communicated horribly with his "care team". Dr Weiss is just as horrible of a person as he is a physician.
Find another doctor.
Dr Weiss did not read my charts before speaking with me. He also scheduled a procedure for me only to tell me that I didn't need it when arrived to his office after taking time off of work. Never spent more than 5 minutes with me. Read from the same script every time we spoke.
Dr Weiss over prescribed estrogen, then prescribed a medication to counter my estrogen levels being too high yet scheduled the egg retrieval as though my levels were normal. Resulted in 4 horribly immature invalid embryos and never offered us the option of PGS testing. I believe Dr Weiss made no extra effort to care for me as he knew that the whole cycle was a wash so he treated me like I was wasting his time. Dr Weiss repeatedly would set a timeline/ schedule (i.e. "We can do a transfer in four weeks) only for mentioned procedure to happen WEEKS after that. Horrible bed side manners. Incompetent. Insensitive. Rude. Condescending.
I had to ask the ultrasound technician to please stop leaning on me during my ultrasound. One nurse scheduled a procedure for that I didn't need yet failed to inform me of this prior to my taking time off of work and showing up for said procedure. Some were for short on the phone with me. Very few I feel actually cared. Michelle the ultrasound tech in Boston is WONDERFUL as is Carolyn the phlebotomist. The phlebotomists in Reading however, told me I had nothing to worry about when I started bleeding when I in fact had a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Clean facilities with lots of locations. I understand their job is hard but taking out frustration with patients is incredibly uncalled for. Highly insensitive staff. Dr Weiss does not communicate with his "care team" at all which left me mostly confused after every visit.
Sometimes, I was taken early so it didn't mess up my schedule too bad. Pretty convenient.
We are probably down between $5,000-$8,000 in copays and medications not covered and still have no baby. The post miscarriage therapy isn't cheap either. Honestly, there is no price tag not being able to trust your doctor.
He insisted on 1 embryo for the first two transfers and then did two for the last which resulted in a miscarriage.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Every step of this process was mishandled. None of my conversations with Dr Weiss lasted more than 5 minutes and he would just read from the same script and tell me the same thing EVERY single time. I never felt as though my time was being respected and I often left with more questions than answers. Dr Weiss and his care team are HORRIBLE at taking accountability for their lack of good decision making.
2015 - 2018, Successful
Dr Weiss comes across as empathetic, rather than a purely data/numbers driven doctor....Dr Weiss was willing to adjust the protocols for each of my many IVF attempts, and to try new protocols being developed in the industry when standard ones didn't work well on me. I never felt like he was judging me...For the two Donor Egg cycles, Dr Weiss prefers to do transfers with frozen embryos, before the transfer he has you do a round of antibiotics and take estrogen.
Overall in person the nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] are good to deal with, though I have had two instances in dealing with them over the phone where I had issues. One was a misunderstanding of protocol - communicated over Thanksgiving - that ended up resulting in a postponed cycle....I had to go to their main office in Reading for all weekend blood draws/ultrasounds and have all procedures (extractions, transfers) in Reading.
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Weiss was willing to adjust the protocols for each of my many IVF attempts, and to try new protocols being developed in the industry when standard ones didn't work well on me. I never felt like he was judging me (unlike my original fertility doctor at another clinic), and although I don't really care about bedside manner (caring more about results), he has a good one and seems to care about the ups and downs you go through during this process.
He has the data driven facts available, but you need to ask for them as he doesn't necessarily lead with them.
I do not remember the details of the 4 IVF protocols Dr Weiss did with me, as they were in 2014-2015, other than that he was willing to try the micro-stimulation type (aka "Japanese" protocol or that done by New Hope Clinic in NYC) when the large doses of drugs were not working well. For the two Donor Egg cycles, Dr Weiss prefers to do transfers with frozen embryos, before the transfer he has you do a round of antibiotics and take estrogen. Post transfer, he has me take both estrogen and injectable progesterone in oil - the latter until about the 10th week of pregnancy.
Overall in person the nurses are good to deal with, though I have had two instances in dealing with them over the phone where I had issues. One was a misunderstanding of protocol - communicated over Thanksgiving - that ended up resulting in a postponed cycle. The other was that while pregnant, about 7 weeks, before the clinic released me to the OB, I came down with the flu and had difficulty in getting the nurses to coordinate my treatment with my PCP as my PCP requested.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
My primary treatment office was Boston, but that still meant that I had to go to their main office in Reading for all weekend blood draws/ultrasounds and have all procedures (extractions, transfers) in Reading.
Don't remember details, but did like that cost for ICSI was automatically included in package as they use it frequently, instead of having it be an extra line item as was at 1st clinic.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Described above (miscommunication, probably on the part of both the clinic and myself, over Thanksgiving weekend resulted in a delayed cycle)
Boston
Dr. Vitiello is great. She is very blunt and tells your exactly how it is which is exactly what I want in my RE. Even though our first round failed, she was honest about our chances of succeeding in another round. I have DOR so we know that we won’t gets tons of eggs, but she did explain that that my body responded as we expected and that we do have potential for retrieving more eggs in future cycles. We are due to start our next cycle on October 2018.
It can be difficult to get an appointment [at Fertility Centers of New England] as they are very busy. When going in for monitoring and testing it is important to be there as soon as they open, otherwise you can spend a long time waiting. Sunday’s are especially busy as they are one of the few FCNE clinics that are actually open. You have to sign in for bloods and ultrasound, otherwise you will sit there all morning.
Ask a lot of questsions. I think that sometimes she assumes you know more than you do, but she will break it all down for you when you ask.
Dr. Vitiello has been amazing through this process. With DOR our expectations are lower than what others might go in with. She has been very honest about expectations and how I am responding to the meds. Our first round resulted in only 1 egg which failed to fertilize correctly. She did not push us to try another cycle, but was very honest about chances of success. When we elected to try another cycle she was elated!
First Cycle: Estrace Priming Protocol: - Menopure - Gonal-F - Cetrotide I don’t remember the exact doses, but they were quite high. I stunned for 14 days. We only retrieved one egg and it fertilized incorrectly. Second Cycle: Micro flare Protocol: - Lurton - Gonal-f - menopure Exact doses TBD as we haven’t started this cycle yet.
FCNE has a patient portal that all communication goes through. Emails explaining changes in meds are clear and concise and come early enough in the day that if you need more meds you have time to order them.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It can be difficult to get an appointment as they are very busy. When going in for monitoring and testing it is important to be there as soon as they open, otherwise you can spend a long time waiting. Sunday’s are especially busy as they are one of the few FCNE clinics that are actually open. You have to sign in for bloods and ultrasound, otherwise you will sit there all morning.
Clinic has early morning monitoring appointments which is convenient with my work schedule. I was able to get in and out and to work on time. It is a cattle call, but it is very well organized.
Medicine was unfortunately through CVS Caremark due to my insurance. I have a lifetime max if $10,000 for medication which we used 100% of during our first cycle.
Dr. Vitiello is willing to do multiple embryo transfers if we can get more than one fertilized embryo.
Reading
Dr.Hill is very knowlegable and straight to the point. Which I loved. He always made sure we understood our next step. Our experience has been great besides not having a live birth. Through one egg retrieval and 2 transfers I have never felt like I didn’t know what was going on. My questions and concerns were always answered in a timely manner and with a straight answer...I wish I would of had the choice of multiple embryo transfer for our FET as it ended in a negative pregnancy test and we only have one embryo remaining. Our fresh cycle ended in a miscarriage at 6.5 weeks.
I wish I would of had the choice of multiple embryo transfer for our FET [at Fertility Center of New England] as it ended in a negative pregnancy test and we only have one embryo remaining. Our fresh cycle ended in a miscarriage at 6.5 weeks...wish nurses could schedule appointments, as when I was transferred the scheduling desk would have no idea what I just went through(miscarriage, negative pregnancy test) and don’t understand the importance of speaking with your doctor as soon as possible after a failed cycle.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask as many questions as you can think of.
The team at fcne is wonderful, after my miscarriage every person I came in contact with consoled us.
I believe I did the antagonist protocol with my fresh cycle. My fresh cycle included 3 different injectables and oral estrogen. With our FET we did 12-14 days of vaginal estrogen then adding progesterone injections 6 days before transfer.
The nursing staff was wonderful- besides the one time I asked a question close to 5pm and they responded through portal and there was no way for me to ask questions after that message was sent as everyone had gone home. I think with orders close to closing they should call and speak personally with the patient. It is stressful enough going through IVF, the unknown can be scary.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I prefer personal phone conversation, the clinic does a lot of their conversing through an online messaging center which can be confusing. I also wish nurses could schedule appointments, as when I was transferred the scheduling desk would have no idea what I just went through(miscarriage, negative pregnancy test) and don’t understand the importance of speaking with your doctor as soon as possible after a failed cycle.
So far $17,000
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
I requested my prescriptions be sent to Walmart pharmacy for my FET. The nurses told me they do not do that as they are specialty. I saved $400 through Walmart

2017 - 2018, 9 Eggs Frozen
I trust her [Dr. Beth Plante]. I am a health care professional and ask a lot of questions that most wouldn't think or know to ask. She answers all of my questions. If I want to change the plan, we meet again and discuss the pros and cons. I listen to her and have found that some who have different doctors are not as informed as I am about possible options...She has always been very patient and responsive to me.
I ask a lot of questions and they [nurses at Fertility Centers of New England] always returned my call...I trust them and have since the first time I went for an appointment... I had injections and blood monitoring and ultrasound reviews to evaluate how my body was responding. We adjusted the treatment for the second cycle because I had side effects to the medications...
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
I trust her. I am a health care professional and ask a lot of questions that most wouldn't think or know to ask. She answers all of my questions. If I want to change the plan, we meet again and discuss the pros and cons. I listen to her and have found that some who have different doctors are not as informed as I am about possible options.
She wants her patients to have successful outcomes.
She has always been very patient and responsive to me. I ask a lot of questions and always get an answer. I feel as though she has my best interests in mind and takes a conservative outlook while an appropriate level of actionable protocols.
I don't remember the protocols but I had injections and blood monitoring and ultrasound reviews to evaluate how my body was responding. We adjusted the treatment for the second cycle because I had side effects to the medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: No, they have a care team.)
As I mentioned I ask a lot of questions and they always returned my call.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I trust them and have since the first time I went for an appointment. I think that is the most important part of this because you are only able to control a little piece of this and the rest is up to your medical team and their expertise.
I paid out of pocket for all of my treatments thus far.
I have not yet gone to the embryo transfer so I cannot comment.