Selling medication is not offered

Westborough
33 Lyman Street
Westborough, MA 01581
1-877-26-3483

I had to constantly remind him [Dr. Robert Weiss] of my conditions, history and path forward every single time we sat together. How many times should you need to remind your doctor that you cannot take birth control due to a blood clotting disorder?...He quite literally remembers nothing about you from one visit to the next...we did not appreciate being automatically put onto a standard protocol without special consideration for our needs and/or health conditions. If I was not acutely aware of my own health and fertility concepts , we might have been talked into the completely wrong choice. In the end, I truly believe that had another doctor not stepped in to assist our case, we may have repeate
Strengths of the clinic [Fertility Centers of New England]: locations, early AM hours for bloodwork and monitoring, ability to do procedures at all times/days due to many physicians, numbers, money. Weaknesses: No personal treatment, you are a number, disorganized and unfriendly patient coordination, slow insurance processing team, inconsistency in interpretation of monitoring results from site-to-site, too many physicians involved to have personal touch, completely inflexible and stubborn in their ways - " the protocol is the protocol, the procedure is the procedure".
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Weiss is not an unfriendly person; I think he quite possibly could be a nice guy to know. Unfortunately, his mannerisms in the office did not convey confidence or give us the impression that he was "in our corner". In the grand scheme of infertility cases, my husband and I are quite straightforward. However, we did not appreciate being automatically put onto a standard protocol without special consideration for our needs and/or health conditions. If I was not acutely aware of my own health and fertility concepts , we might have been talked into the completely wrong choice. In the end, I truly believe that had another doctor not stepped in to assist our case, we may have repeated this unsuccessful transfer protocol over and over. There is a benefit to having a gigantic clinic, and perhaps some find the mechanics and timing of that helpful. However, this really strained the relationship between us and Dr. Weiss, and I would not recommend this additional stress to anyone already going through infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
You are going to have to advocate for yourself HARD. You have to constantly remind the doctor of everything about you, all the time. If you are not comfortable with that, or do not know this process very well, we would advise seeking alternate care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
I believe that Dr. Weiss, like many physicians, does not mean harm toward his patients. However, his bedside manner really leaves something to be desired, and the way he and the other doctors & staff conduct business in this practice is shameful. You sit among a huge group of persons waiting in a huge room, and sign yourself in. You wait tremendous amounts of time, and are treated like farm animals being milked. The one-on-one consults with Dr. Weiss feel no different, and I would say worse. I had to constantly remind him of my conditions, history and path forward every single time we sat together. How many times should you need to remind your doctor that you cannot take birth control due to a blood clotting disorder? Your health and well-being should be their top priority, followed second by their drive to get you to your goals of starting or growing your family. He quite literally remembers nothing about you from one visit to the next, and I am not sure he is aware how hurtful, scary and devastating that is to a couple going through this already horrible experience.
Describe the protocols Robert Weiss used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
In summary, we did a total of 2 egg retrieval cycles, 2 transfer cycles, and many halted processes in between. We began this journey knowing of our medical history with male factor infertility. This knowledge in itself should have prepped the clinic to request back-up cryopreserved sperm in the event anything happened on the physical day of retrieval (i.e. – if there was any issue getting live sperm on the day of egg retrieval). This was not done and cost us a huge portion of time and lots of insurance hurdles to go through. My husband’s medication halted sperm production during the retrieval, and our oocytes were frozen on day of retrieval, which was not something we discussed prior to surgery. I signed consent forms immediately after anesthesia, and while I would have chosen the same thing in another situation, this lack of planning and harried accommodations infuriated us. My husband eventually created multiple back-up vials of sperm and insisted about them being frozen and stored at the clinic. Due to insurance restrictions, we were now forced to use the frozen oocytes to attempt embryo creation, despite the acknowledgement that success rates would be considerably lower. Nothing can describe the heartbreak when FCNE informed us that none of the oocytes survived the thaw, and we would have to undergo a second retrieval process. Months later, due to travel and other conflicts, we had a second egg retrieval done, and the result of this was 5 total embryos using a fresh semen sample produced the day of retrieval. Under the perceived time pressure that many of us feel undergoing infertility, we elected to conduct a fresh transfer cycle with one of the embryos during the same cycle as the retrieval. It was clear my uterus and body were not ideally prepared for this transfer and quite stressed. Needless to say, the transfer of the fresh embryo did not work, and we were able to freeze down 2 other embryos. We were stressed, hopeless and exhausted, and elected to take a couple months off to let my mind and body recover. Upon return, we commenced an estrogen-supported cycle to attempt a transfer. The Estrogen suppressed ovulation, extended my normal 28-day cycles to greater than 46 days, and the endometrial lining never reached the desired thickness despite countless days of monitoring. Frustrated with Dr. Weiss for trying to push this cycle to success when it clearly was not getting there, I asked for medication to induce a period or ‘breakthrough’ bleed (as without ovulation, it was unsure when my body would decide to menstruate). We therefore started a new ‘cycle’ with plenty of added surprises; upon my first blood & ultrasound monitoring, it was clear that the follicle from my last cycle was still maturing in the ovary, and was now nearly ready to ovulate. This is when a second physician at FCNE took a look at my file (by chance? by intervention???) and determined that we should try a ‘natural’ cycle – we would monitor ovulation and do the transfer immediately after. Yes, this involves a lot of monitoring, but it is almost as natural as you can go. No estrogen, just progesterone support to promote the pregnancy. This was our successful cycle. Ten days post-transfer we had a blazing positive pregnancy test. Had we not been allowed to do a natural cycle for transfer, we may have never got here.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of New England.
I think that because we did not have specific nurses or nursing staff assigned to us, it was very 'hit or miss' if we had good care from the team on a day to day. I will say that the 'lead nurse' or however she was referred to was perhaps the least compassionate human I have ever met, and it was outrageous to me that she was allowed to speak to patients as she did. We limited our discussion with her to only what was absolutely necessary. Some of the nurses were very sweet, some were also very rude. It just depended.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I supposed, like so many things in life, it is a choice you should make based upon your own mental state and stance. If achieving a pregnancy, despite hurdles and feeling like farm cattle, is your goal, this might be perfectly adequate. They have the flexibility, numbers and success rates that suggest it is a worthy clinic. However, I would postulate that the majority of women & couples are in an infertility situation are already mentally and emotionally fragile, and this additional stress provided by this type of clinic seems like the wrong choice for many. Strengths of the clinic: locations, early AM hours for bloodwork and monitoring, ability to do procedures at all times/days due to many physicians, numbers, money. Weaknesses: No personal treatment, you are a number, disorganized and unfriendly patient coordination, slow insurance processing team, inconsistency in interpretation of monitoring results from site-to-site, too many physicians involved to have personal touch, completely inflexible and stubborn in their ways - " the protocol is the protocol, the procedure is the procedure".
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of New England.
Monitoring was very much a 'cattle-call' process. So many persons in a waiting room where you checked yourself in. I think that having the hours early in the AM was convenenient for most, but it was not as convenient as coming in when it made sense for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England.
Thankfully we live in a state with mandated coverage, and our insurance was excellent. We paid for storage of embryos and semen samples, which was in the $100s, but otherwise we only paid our co-pays for cycles and medications.
Describe Robert Weiss's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Single transfer is mandated here, and I support that. As a high-risk patient, I would not have been comfortable with transferring multiple embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England.
Some things that felt like insults at the end of the day: * When we finally got a positive pregnancy test, a random nurse who I never had met called to tell me. I could not believe our own doctor did not call. * Due to male factor infertility, we should have had frozen sperm samples prepared ahead of any egg retrieval cycle, or at least been asked about it. We were not * We constantly had to remind them where we lived, and therefore would prefer to be monitored at the clinic near our home * Insurance procedures and delays were never explained. I understand that department's role is critical and high-volume, but getting zero information about anything which caused months and months of delay was so frustrating * The patient care coordinator lead was NEVER in the office and we could not reach her by phone. It was so sad and frustrating * Our oocytes were destroyed due to hurried procedure to freeze down when we did not have adequate sperm; this resulted in needing to go though multiple retrieval cycles unnecessarily * Prescriptions were sent to pharmacies which did not take our insurance/were out of network, despite us having asked they be sent to places with known coverage * There are standard protocols which you are put onto without any option to discuss or understand alternatives.

2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Weiss posses a good bedside manner. However, he's always late and appeared not prepared for the appointment. We had to remind him information...We saw Dr. Weiss twice...Do your home work on protocols. Especially, if you had diminished ovarian reserve, non-response, etc. Specifically ask the doctor what protocol, they are recommending for you and why. After each blood test and ultrasound, ask what the results were? Don't go with the flow and do as they say. Ask questions!...
There were two nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] that communicated via the portal. After each blood test/US instructions were sent via the portal. One nurse sent instructions w/ medications that were not ordered for me. So it seemed to be a copy and paste of instructions instead of any personalized care...Protocol was not clearly communicated. I understand things will need to be adjusted based on blood tests/US results. However, going into a treatment cycle inform the patient what to expect...
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
We saw Dr. Weiss twice. We had tests done elsewhere and sent the results to his office. However, for some reason, he didn't get the results until the day of our consult. Hence, we discussed about the health history in our first visit. Then scheduled another visit for him to review and go over the plan. On the hide sight, I regret for trusting the physician to provide us the details of the plan. Up until today, I cannot figure out what type of protocol I was put through. I also felt that my first egg retrieval should have been cancelled due to under response.
Overall, Dr. Weiss posses a good bedside manner. However, he's always late and appeared not prepared for the appointment. We had to remind him information.
Follistom 225IU (AM/PM) day 4 through 8 (4 days); Menopur 75IU on day 8 (1 day); Ganirelix .25mg day 8 and day 9 (2 days); trigger on day 9.
There were two nurses that communicated via the portal. After each blood test/US instructions were sent via the portal. One nurse sent instructions w/ medications that were not ordered for me. So it seemed to be a copy and paste of instructions instead of any personalized care. For example, I was not ordered Cetrotide or Gonal F. The instructions were referring to those meds. Also, while I was ordered at least week worth of Menopur, it was not included in my protocol. I did specifically ask that on day 5 of my treatment. Then asked to take it. So I don't know if that was a communication issue, disconnect, or not knowing what meds were ordered for me. It really didn't seem like the care was personalized.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The administrative folks were superb. They convey the messages to the respective teams. Responds to your questions very quickly. I've also spoken with the administrative staff over the phone. They are very professional and caring.
PGT not covered. Others were covered by insurance.
eSET based on my medical history of unexplained miscarriages.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Protocol was not clearly communicated. I understand things will need to be adjusted based on blood tests/US results. However, going into a treatment cycle inform the patient what to expect. For example, we're thinking of day 1 through day 5 you will get these meds. Also, the pharmacists places to order for drugs. But care team seem to be disconnected from it. The patient has no idea what pharmacists order was (drugs, quantities, doses). I happened to check what the specialty pharmacy was getting ready to ship and caught it was missing Follistim. Again, better transparency of the drug order would have been nice.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Vitiello never did a single one of our procedures, and wasn’t even the one to call with the results for the frozen transfer. We haven’t heard from her in weeks and have decided to switch to another doctor within the clinic because the trust is completely gone...We saw her 3 times for consults… one I had to advocate for after a failed cycle. We had very little contact with her or information given unless explicitly asked for....
you get pushed through and they [Fertility Centers of New England] don’t pay a lot of attention to you as an individual. You have to really advocate for yourself to get the information you should be naturally given...[monitoring appointments are] 6:30-7:15 first come first serve… you have to get there earlier because people start lining up by 6:15...We had to request more information and test results several times. A little bit short and cold when you ask additional questions
How was your experience with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
We were initially very hopeful. Dr. Vitiello stated that she had full confidence in our success. We ended up completing 2 egg retrieval cycles. The first 8 eggs were retrieved, resulting in 2 viable embryos. One was transferred and one was frozen. The transfer failed. She then suggested we do another retrieval to get as many embryos as possible for future children. She changed our medications slightly. We ended up with 0 embryos. We then did a from embryo transfer with our last remaining embryo, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Vitiello never did a single one of our procedures, and wasn’t even the one to call with the results for the frozen transfer. We haven’t heard from her in weeks and have decided to switch to another doctor within the clinic because the trust is completely gone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
See someone else. She’s very unclear with her plan, and you have to really advocate for any face time with her. And then when you talk to her she doesn’t give you any clear information unless you ask for more explanation, she just assumes you know the entire process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England?
Describe the protocols Danielle Vitiello used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
1st retrieval cycle- gonal 1x/day, cetrotide, menopur, progesterone in oil 2nd retrieval cycle- gonal 2x/day, cetrotide , progesterone in oil FET- estrace 2mg 2x/day orally and vaginally, 1mg progestrone in oil
Not a lot of communication overall. They were very Clear with the portal messages and medication instructions. We had to request more information and test results several times. A little bit short and cold when you ask additional questions
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It’s a baby factory… you get pushed through and they don’t pay a lot of attention to you as an individual. You have to really advocate for yourself to get the information you should be naturally given
Describe the costs associated with your care under Danielle Vitiello at Fertility Centers of New England.
Insurance covered a lot of it, but the 2 additional tests she recommended was uncovered and cost $2500 a piece
Describe Danielle Vitiello's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Our insurance only allowed for single for the first 3 and then can switch to multiple
Reading

Danielle [Vitiello] personally responds to all emails, and is incredibly good with knowing all of your information (test results, etc) before she answers, which is reassuring. I worry about doctors having so many patients that they just go surface level with each, and with Danielle and her staff that has never been an issue. When she had to call to give us bad news about a test result, she left an incredibly empathetic message.
Fertility Centers of New England runs like a well-oiled machine, which is incredibly reassuring. They are open for blood work and ultrasounds for a few hours before work, and they gave me tips for what time to arrive to make sure I am in and out in time. The staff are always friendly and confident, and always answer questions over their email system same day.
Danielle is optimistic but frank. She talks quickly and seems incredibly confident in how she thinks your treatment will go. While that was very reassuring at the time, it also set us up to expect thing to go well which led to extra disappointment when they didn't. She is happily willing to go over details multiple times if you need things explained again, and although she has a brusque manner we didn't in any way feel rushed.
Write down your questions in advance, so that you don't forget to ask them as things move quickly in an appointment. In our first appointment I was going to take notes, but she said I didn't need to as she'd be writing everything up. I wish I had taken notes anyway, as she talks quickly and I feel like I missed things.
Danielle personally responds to all emails, and is incredibly good with knowing all of your information (test results, etc) before she answers, which is reassuring. I worry about doctors having so many patients that they just go surface level with each, and with Danielle and her staff that has never been an issue. When she had to call to give us bad news about a test result, she left an incredibly empathetic message.
After a semen analysis detected a 0 sperm count, my husband saw a urologist recommended by Danielle who diagnosed him with azoospermia, so we will be using donor sperm. We are currently researching sperm banks. Once we choose a donor, Danielle recommended two rounds of IUI, despite the low success rate, just to try before we move on to IVF if needed, for insurance and age purposes as I am almost 40.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
They see a lot of patients, but in a way it is reassuring that this is not their first rodeo. I really appreciate their email system, as opposed to leaving a message for a doctor, waiting for them to call you back, and hoping it's at a time when you are free. They always answer their emails same day.
Reading

We did antagonist IVF [with Dr. Hill] and needed rescue ICSI. It was not automatically done...I over stimulated so we had to do a freeze all cycle. 24 eggs, two embryos...Second round, same protocol but we started with 225 Gonal F and decreased to try to avoid overstimulation. I still overstimulated in final days...was on auto repeat each appointment...Strong presence, and confident. He talks fast. Our actual time with him has been very little. Our follow ups and consult have barely totaled 30 minutes over past year. He does assume you know everything he’s talking about or will research on your own. He did acknowledge I’ve been through a lot and he would be there if I needed to call him. The clinic rotates doctors so he was not the one to perform my retrivals or do my transfers.
Nurses are not warm [at Fertility Centers of New England]...It’s a rotating staff [of nurses] and they use a portal for all communication so it’s very short and to the point...sometimes having to wait over an hour or more for an ultrasound. Lab work usually took only a few minutes. Everything just seems very systematic, no one making small talk or really getting to know me even though I’ve been there frequently...Strengths are they respond in portal quickly. Weaknesses are it’s a baby factory and I don’t really like the staff with exception of one ultrasound tech.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
It’s a baby factory so just be aware of that and try to get over it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Doctor was on auto repeat each appointment. Nurses are not warm.
Describe the protocols Joseph Hill used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
First round. We did antagonist IVF and needed rescue ICSI. It was not automatically done. 150 Gonal F, menopur and Cetrotide. I over stimulated so we had to do a freeze all cycle. 24 eggs, two embryos. First transfer, negative second we got a positive but it ended up being chemical pregnancy. Second round, same protocol but we started with 225 Gonal F and decreased to try to avoid overstimulation. I still overstimulated in final days so we did another freeze all. 6 eggs, one embryo. Will be transferring embryo in next coming weeks.
It’s a rotating staff and they use a portal for all communication so it’s very short and to the point.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strengths are they respond in portal quickly. Weaknesses are it’s a baby factory and I don’t really like the staff with exception of one ultrasound tech. They all have an attitude like like is mundane or they are way too fake- for example one of the girls calling our name to come back for ultrasound was overly cheerful and Kept asking how we were today. They day I was there was a follow up to the chemical pregnancy. I said I was fine. She responded oh come on, just fine?! Then she wispered to the nurse “oh it’s one of those days today.”
Very early and with traffic, I’d have to leave house by 6am. Cattle call for sure yes, sometimes having to wait over an hour or more for an ultrasound. Lab work usually took only a few minutes. Everything just seems very systematic, no one making small talk or really getting to know me even though I’ve been there frequently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England.
Dr actually commented that due to my great insurance we could bypass some of the red tape. So all I’ve had is copays ($60 per visit) and paying copays for meds ($550 each round)
Describe Joseph Hill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
He only transfers one embryo to avoid multiples and we were happy with this approach.
Reading

Doctor [Dr. Plante] said that with my age and insurance, it was best to transfer one. I agree, however we never made it that far out to transfer...I just didn't feel like information was explained to me thoroughly, especially with all the test results from diagnosis to treatment. I feel like meets were brief and then on to the next "number". I want it to be more personable, like she actually cares for my fertility sake... If I was to go another round, I would need more confidence from her and her team in explanation of process from start to end, with details and test results, as well as giving us the maximum resources out there that could help our situation.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Centers of New England] were friendly, and tried to help me when I ask. They were overall kind but some of the ultra sound techs were not as friendly...did not call me until 30 minutes before the transfer appointment to tell me that my cycle has been cancelled. It took us over an hour to get to the clinic. They could have called the day before or at least 2 hours prior to our early appt...they did not talk much in regards to my specific situation, or tell me what they are looking for (during ultrasound monitoring) and therefore again made me feel like a number.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Beth Plante is a doctor who seems to know what she is talking about, however I do not feel she has enough experience with my kind of diagnosis in her center therefore I don't feel confident in her direction of leading upon the treatment. If I was to go another round, I would need more confidence from her and her team in explanation of process from start to end, with details and test results, as well as giving us the maximum resources out there that could help our situation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask the doctor to be very thorough with you in detail about the process because if you do not advocate for yourself, then they will simply not share much details with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Describe the protocols Beth Plante used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Antagonist Protocol, was suppose to be better with my diagnosis, however I responded poorly to this.
The nursing staff were friendly, and tried to help me when I ask. They were overall kind but some of the ultra sound techs were not as friendly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The office staff was friendly, however they did not talk much in regards to my specific situation, or tell me what they are looking for (during ultrasound monitoring) and therefore again made me feel like a number.
The ultrasound techs were not as friendly and did not explain what they were looking for or what they are seeing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England.
out of pocket total was roughly $400.
Describe Beth Plante's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
Doctor said that with my age and insurance, it was best to transfer one. I agree, however we never made it that far out to transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
FCNE did not call me until 30 minutes before the transfer appointment to tell me that my cycle has been cancelled. It took us over an hour to get to the clinic. They could have called the day before or at least 2 hours prior to our early appt.
Reading

Dr. Plante is very knowledgeable and informative. She has an amazing bedside manner and is very empathetic. She even called me on Sunday to deliver the news herself...takes the time to get to know her patients. She explains things well and is usually easy to understand and follow. I trust her completely. I have recommended her to others and will continue to do so. I think it’s great that she delivers news herself even if she’s not working.
They are called Fertility Centers of New England but there are no offices in RI or CT. They only do 5 day transfers, no exceptions. Even when I didn’t see my regular doctor for retrievals I always felt safe. The portal makes communication so much easier. No panicking because you missed a call...Everyone is knowledgeable and patient and typically respond quickly. I love Melissa and Allison in Braintree that do the monitoring and Kelly is awesome.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante takes the time to get to know her patients. She explains things well and is usually easy to understand and follow. I trust her completely. I have recommended her to others and will continue to do so. I think it’s great that she delivers news herself even if she’s not working.
Bring a notebook. She takes kind of fast because she has a lot to say.
Antagonist and lupron flair both with birth control suppression. And a lupron flair with estrace suppression. Antagonist produced the most eggs but the lowest quality. Lupron flair less eggs but better quality. So we tried Lupron Flair without birth control and it was worse than any other cycles.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Smooth, seamless. Melissa and Alison in Braintree are amazing you are in and out of there. In Reading it is busier so it isn’t as smooth it takes a lot longer to get in and out. But the nurses are great.
A lot was covered by insurance but not all bills have been received yet

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Hill is a very bright and experienced doctor. While he explains everything, sometimes I wish he would slow down a bit to allow for better absorption of information and understanding. At times, he seems closed off to alternate treatments, but I attribute that to the fact that he's been doing this for a long time and knows what works....Now that I'm over 40, we use an antagonist down regulation protocol (using Estrace and Cetrotide). Stimmimg consists of 300 gonal-F, 150 Menopur and Cetrotide. I've produced 4+ eggs with each cycle. For one cycle, we tried the Lupron microflare protocol (in an attempt to harvest more eggs).
The clinic is organized, well-run and has kind and knowledgeable staff. The nurse care-team is outstanding.... Monitoring is done at several satellite offices, which makes it convenient. The hours at the office I typically monitored at were 7:00-7:30 am.... They [nursing staff] are incredible. I felt so well cared for. They are responsive (always before the end of the day), caring and kind. There was one nurse, Christine Mazri, who went out of her way to be there for me throughout my procedures. However, all of the nurses on Dr. Hill's care team are fabulous.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Bring a notepad to take notes when Dr. Hill speaks. Sometimes he goes to fast and it feels a bit rushed.
The nurses at FCNE are amazing! They are warm, caring and always make me feel important.
Now that I'm over 40, we use an antagonist down regulation protocol (using Estrace and Cetrotide). Stimmimg consists of 300 gonal-F, 150 Menopur and Cetrotide. I've produced 4+ eggs with each cycle. For one cycle, we tried the Lupron microflare protocol (in an attempt to harvest more eggs). Unfortunately, that cycle ended up being cancelled because I had one lead follicle and the others failed to grow.
They are incredible. I felt so well cared for. They are responsive (always before the end of the day), caring and kind. There was one nurse, Christine Mazri, who went out of her way to be there for me throughout my procedures. However, all of the nurses on Dr. Hill's care team are fabulous.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The clinic is organized, well-run and has kind and knowledgeable staff. The nurse care-team is outstanding. Compared to what I hear patients of other clinics complain about, I can't think of any complaints.
Monitoring is done at several satellite offices, which makes it convenient. The hours at the office I typically monitored at were 7:00-7:30 am. I am a single mom of a young child so it was sometimes hard to get there by 7:30. Also, on Sundays, you need to go to the Reading office and sometimes you would need to wait for over an hour if you needed an ultrasound. I live 45 minutes away from that office so a Sunday monitoring, it was often close to 3 hours including travel time. I dreaded Sunday monitoring.
IUI-$500 per cycle PGS- $2650 regardless of quantity of embryos being tested.
Due to my age, Dr Hill was fine with me transferring 3 embryos at a time. He explained to me that it was highly unlikely that that would result in multiple babies. He was right!

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
When ever we reach out to her nursing staff with questions for the doctor she [Dr. Vitiello] always makes time to personally call us and answer questions or will also leave a voice mail as to not leave us in the dark.... She’s straight forward tells you how it is and explains in even more detail when you ask questions.... We have done 5 letrizole cycles with no monitoring dosage was 5mg x 5 days. This was done because FCNE thought it was the only thing covered through TRIcare Then we explained what they (TRIcare) would cover at a follow up/ create a new plan appointment and switched to the protocol below.
Multiple locations [FCNE - Reading] with multiple doctors both male and female doctors. Monitoring happens early in the morning to help for those who need to get to work on time. Getting an appointment with a doctor can have a several week delay. Same goes for scheduling surgeries. An outside company (quest) does blood work at their location in Bedford so you won’t hear back with results until afternoon. Busy days mean longer wait time for results.
She makes you feel at home and equal. There is no I’m better than you or prissyness because she is a doctor. She loves when we bring our miracle daughter in with us and jokes that my husband and I are just along to bring our daughter to see her. She’s straight forward tells you how it is and explains in even more detail when you ask questions. She cares about your personal life and shares some of hers as well so that y’all can create a strong trusting relationship with her. She also has an amazing sense of humor! At my past clinic we felt like a number with Dr Vitiello we don’t.
Make sure you’re open with her and don’t be afraid to ask all your questions, she will happily answer and even go into more detail if that’s what you’re looking for!
When ever we reach out to her nursing staff with questions for the doctor she always makes time to personally call us and answer questions or will also leave a voice mail as to not leave us in the dark.
We have done 5 letrizole cycles with no monitoring dosage was 5mg x 5 days. This was done because FCNE thought it was the only thing covered through TRIcare Then we explained what they (TRIcare) would cover at a follow up/ create a new plan appointment and switched to the protocol below. We have done 4 injectable cycles with Gonal f and letrizole with monitoring 3-4 times each cycle 1st cycle 75 iu days 2-7 triggered with ovidril on day 8 2nd the same as above 3rd cycle 75 iu days 2-4 150 iu days 5-7 triggered day 8 with ovidril Cycle 4 new protocol days 2-4 150 iu all follicles under 10mm, days 5-7 225 iu day 8 to many follicles no injection day 9 cycle canceled due to 9 mature follicles ranging in size from 14-18
Attenitive to answer my questions and fixing issues quickly. Lack of communication has happened a couple of times.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Multiple locations with multiple doctors both male and female doctors. Monitoring happens early in the morning to help for those who need to get to work on time. Getting an appointment with a doctor can have a several week delay. Same goes for scheduling surgeries. An outside company (quest) does blood work at their location in Bedford so you won’t hear back with results until afternoon. Busy days mean longer wait time for results.
We have a cost share with our insurance. Each injectable cycle with monitoring costs us around $100 and then $100 for medication. We however do not have any IVF coverage.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
There seems to be one bad apple of a nurse that can’t seem to do her job correctly. Forgets to put orders in for things ie ultrasound has happened twice. Has given results with out full instructions. Tends to be short and do just the bare minimum.
Reading
Dr. Vitiello is great. She is very blunt and tells your exactly how it is which is exactly what I want in my RE. Even though our first round failed, she was honest about our chances of succeeding in another round. I have DOR so we know that we won’t gets tons of eggs, but she did explain that that my body responded as we expected and that we do have potential for retrieving more eggs in future cycles. We are due to start our next cycle on October 2018.
It can be difficult to get an appointment [at Fertility Centers of New England] as they are very busy. When going in for monitoring and testing it is important to be there as soon as they open, otherwise you can spend a long time waiting. Sunday’s are especially busy as they are one of the few FCNE clinics that are actually open. You have to sign in for bloods and ultrasound, otherwise you will sit there all morning.
Ask a lot of questsions. I think that sometimes she assumes you know more than you do, but she will break it all down for you when you ask.
Dr. Vitiello has been amazing through this process. With DOR our expectations are lower than what others might go in with. She has been very honest about expectations and how I am responding to the meds. Our first round resulted in only 1 egg which failed to fertilize correctly. She did not push us to try another cycle, but was very honest about chances of success. When we elected to try another cycle she was elated!
First Cycle: Estrace Priming Protocol: - Menopure - Gonal-F - Cetrotide I don’t remember the exact doses, but they were quite high. I stunned for 14 days. We only retrieved one egg and it fertilized incorrectly. Second Cycle: Micro flare Protocol: - Lurton - Gonal-f - menopure Exact doses TBD as we haven’t started this cycle yet.
FCNE has a patient portal that all communication goes through. Emails explaining changes in meds are clear and concise and come early enough in the day that if you need more meds you have time to order them.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
It can be difficult to get an appointment as they are very busy. When going in for monitoring and testing it is important to be there as soon as they open, otherwise you can spend a long time waiting. Sunday’s are especially busy as they are one of the few FCNE clinics that are actually open. You have to sign in for bloods and ultrasound, otherwise you will sit there all morning.
Clinic has early morning monitoring appointments which is convenient with my work schedule. I was able to get in and out and to work on time. It is a cattle call, but it is very well organized.
Medicine was unfortunately through CVS Caremark due to my insurance. I have a lifetime max if $10,000 for medication which we used 100% of during our first cycle.
Dr. Vitiello is willing to do multiple embryo transfers if we can get more than one fertilized embryo.
Reading

[Dr. Plante] took the time to get to know my husband as I as individuals, listened to our family goals, and reached out to me personally on more than one occasion when things didn’t go as planned. She also took careful time at our in person consults to make sure I understood the plan and all treatments involved. As a nurse I appreciated her willingness to explain details carefully and answer all my questions thoughtfully...
Some of the nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] were blunt in their communication but I wasn’t surprised given the high volume of patients seen...Dr Plante helped alleviate that feeling by taking the time to make me feel heard. She stands out as the reason I felt human at the end of it all...There were times when I felt frustrated with my treatment results and the high volume of other patients FCNE sees. It can feel like you are just a number at times...
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
We have two beautiful perfect daughters thanks to Dr Plante and her team. There were times when I felt frustrated with my treatment results and the high volume of other patients FCNE sees. It can feel like you are just a number at times. However Dr Plante herself was a pleasure to work with. She was careful and thoughtful in her explanations and alleviated a great deal of anxiety for both my partner and myself with her reassurances. What really stands out to me was our consult when we were ready to start trying to conceive our second daughter. We brought our first daughter to that appointment- our miracle baby that would not exist without Dr Plante and these incredible technologies that allowed us to beat infertility. During the visit she immediately asked to hold Olivia, sat her on her lap, kept her entertained and happy and even let her smash on her computer without a blink. She was sharing in our indescribable joy as parents in those moments- parents who feared for many long years that they would never have a child of their own. Dr Plante is a beautiful soul and I am forever grateful for the kindness and compassion she showed during these difficult years for us, along with the family she helped us build.
Ask all the questions. Write them down and bring them to your consult. Follow up with her nurses if you need to, she has a great team.
Dr Plante was clearly busy with the large number of patients that cycle through FCNE. However she still took the time to get to know my husband as I as individuals, listened to our family goals, and reached out to me personally on more than one occasion when things didn’t go as planned. She also took careful time at our in person consults to make sure I understood the plan and all treatments involved. As a nurse I appreciated her willingness to explain details carefully and answer all my questions thoughtfully.
One nurse in particular- Caitlin, who no longer works there, stood out as exceptionally compassionate. She talked me through many disappointments and tears, knew just what to say to keep me fighting for my family. Some of the nurses were blunt in their communication but I wasn’t surprised given the high volume of patients seen. It still can feel pretty awful when it’s you and your embryos/ potential future babies. Numbers mean a lot when they are dreams of possible children.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Overall I felt like a number more than once. The rigor of the cycle, blood tests, ultrasounds and standardized messages can feel impersonal. Dr Plante helped alleviate that feeling by taking the time to make me feel heard. She stands out as the reason I felt human at the end of it all, and I’ll never forget the time and compassion she invested to help alleviate anxieties and give me hope when I had almost none left.
We were fortunate to be covered by insurance, but only after an uphill fight. There were still high out of pocket costs, upwards of $8k for all cycles/ genetic testing. (We are CF carriers)
We transferred only one embryo each time, as it gave us the best chances of having a healthy baby given my age, total number of viable embryos (2), and family goals. I’m grateful for Dr Plante’s advice and guidance on this choice because it gave us the family we had hoped for- 2 healthy children.
Reading

[Dr. Beth Plante] allowed my husband and I to rest in our Hail Mary try even though I had only one ovary and was 43. She radiates kindness understanding and ease. Which puts you at ease... She was hopeful for us yet realistic with our odds due to my age and one ovary down. She also referred out to Dr Lazarou for my husbands retrieval who was also kind and wonderful. I was sad that she was not the one on call for my retrieval day, but the team and Dr Hill also helped me feel as I was in great hands in the Reading clinic.
Early appointments and many locations [of Fertility Centers of New England] keeps you from having anyone at work knowing what you are up to. It is a well oiled machine...With the patient portal you never had to wonder about where you stand. They call and or email you back pronto. And when it was time to deliver my two week wait positive you can tell they are in the profession for this joy. You can also feel that if the message was not the hoped one that your heart would feel held then also.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
As stated in my previous statement she made my husband and I as comfortable as possible with a difficult situation. She was hopeful for us yet realistic with our odds due to my age and one ovary down. She also referred out to Dr Lazarou for my husbands retrieval who was also kind and wonderful. I was sad that she was not the one on call for my retrieval day, but the team and Dr Hill also helped me feel as I was in great hands in the Reading clinic.
Let her drive! Rest in the foundation of minds in this clinic to allow your body the best chances and good luck!
It is a felt sense the knowledge and care that she provides which allowed my husband and I to rest in our Hail Mary try even though I had only one ovary and was 43. She radiates kindness understanding and ease. Which puts you at ease.
Progesterone pills for prep. No lupron. And I’m sorry I should remember but I injected it all as they told me menpur and follistim I think.. ?
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Early appointments and many locations keeps you from having anyone at work knowing what you are up to. It is a well oiled machine and even knowing all the women there each morning even though you don’t speak there is a community feeling like you are all pulling for each other on the unique journey that it is.
So many options. I went into Boston, also used Braintree depending on which time window was best or if I wanted breakfast at dig in!!
Hahaha it was stressful since husband vasectomy did not allow insurance to pay for it we got an interest free credit card from Bank of America for one year so including meds 12k on the card and maybe a little more as I had to purchase the largest dose of medication.
With my age we transferred multiple. I had twins but lost one at 12 weeks. Did not have any left to freeze.
Reading

I would definitely see Dr Plante again and highly recommend her to friends and family...is very caring and compassionate. She has great bedside manners and made all the right recommendations for us during our treatments. After our first failed IVF (no transfer made due to lack of viable embryos) she called us to extend her sympathy and immediately discuss our next steps. The only negative (if that) is that I would say that Dr Plante and FCNE in general tend to make assumptions about what you know regarding the IVF process; and sometimes tend to simplify the process/injections/retrieval/transfer.
The entire monitoring process was never really explained in detail/they just hand you a packet regarding the process [at Fertility Centers of New England]. You have to put all the pieces together. That being said, I did think that the entire process of monitoring levels and eggs is done well and efficiently once I understood the process. Most days, I would be in/out in 45 minutes and I was thankful for it. One of the clinics weaknesses is discussing risks of IVF on your pregnancy. We did ask about risks during treatment and post part in but we never discussed any pregnancy complications due to IVF.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante is very caring and compassionate. She has great bedside manners and made all the right recommendations for us during our treatments. After our first failed IVF (no transfer made due to lack of viable embryos) she called us to extend her sympathy and immediately discuss our next steps. The only negative (if that) is that I would say that Dr Plante and FCNE in general tend to make assumptions about what you know regarding the IVF process; and sometimes tend to simplify the process/injections/retrieval/transfer. I would definitely see Dr Plante again and highly recommend her to friends and family.
Ask as many questions regarding the process, risks of treatments AFTER conception. I ended up having a very difficult pregnancy that my primary ob-gyn said was most likely attributed to conceiving via IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Caitlin )
Dr Plante’s care team/nurse, Caitlin, was wonderful! She’s so kind and compassionate; we loved working with her. All of the other nurses were nice as well, however, sometimes we did feel that they needed a reminder that we had no clue what was going on sometimes/that this was a new experience for us. Everyone, the phlebotomists, ultrasound techs, nurses who send instructions through portal, nurses who return calls, all make assumptions about how much you know/understand the process. They need to slow down and be patient with communicating about what is actually happening and why!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Ask questions and do not be afraid to ask them again until you understand what is happening and why/how it is a part of the process. The entire monitoring process was never really explained in detail/they just hand you a packet regarding the process. You have to put all the pieces together. That being said, I did think that the entire process of monitoring levels and eggs is done well and efficiently once I understood the process. Most days, I would be in/out in 45 minutes and I was thankful for it. One of the clinics weaknesses is discussing risks of IVF on your pregnancy. We did ask about risks during treatment and post part in but we never discussed any pregnancy complications due to IVF.
Fortunately most of our treatments were covered by insurance with co-pays to see the doctor and we were responsible for all prescription costs while in cycle (probably $1,500 total for IUIs and 2 IVF) We also pay $500 annual fee for continuing to freeze our embryos.
We talked this through with Dr Plante and expressed our concern about having multiples. Given that we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, she recommended that we try a single transfer for our first two rounds. She did say she would be comfortable with two embryos if that is what we wanted but we all agreed on a single transfer for our two rounds

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
All of the nurses [at Fertility Centers of NE] were caring and knowledgeable. They responded to my questions via telephone quickly. It would have been helpful to have been assigned one nurse, but I felt comfortable speaking with and working with everyone I came in contact with.... The clinic appeared clean and well organized. They use a patient portal, which is very helpful. Directions and communication appear online and if you have a question you can call and speak to a nurse. The monitoring was first come, first served which made things a little stressful. I always felt like I had to arrive when the doors opened or else I could be waiting a very long time for an ultrasound.
When meeting with Dr. Vitiello, she broke down procedures and explained them with visuals and comparisons. She was very in her explanations; however, sometimes she spoke too quickly and covered a lot of information at once which was overwhelming. When performing procedures, she made me feel comfortable and relaxed. She was caring yet straightforward.
One piece of advice would be to arrive with a list of questions so you know what you want to cover when meeting with Dr. Vitiello. It is typical to only speak to the nurses once in a cycle.
I felt treated like a human under Dr. Vitiello's care. She met with me and spoke honestly about upcoming treatment protocols. When we were undergoing any procedure - small or large - whether with a doctor or nurse, I was treated with respect and care.
I attempted three IVF cycles with Dr. Vitiello using my own eggs and my husbands sperm. We did two antagonist cycles and a microflare cycle, all with negative pregnancy results. The first cycle was very poor with one egg being retrieved and no opportunity for transfer. The subsequent two cycles were a little better. We transferred one embryo each time and neither implanted. We also used ICSI each time. After each cycle, Dr. Vitiello changed the protocol slightly in hopes of achieving success. She then recommended the use of donor eggs at which point I accepted but sought out a second opinion.
All of the nurses were caring and knowledgeable. They responded to my questions via telephone quickly. It would have been helpful to have been assigned one nurse, but I felt comfortable speaking with and working with everyone I came in contact with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I was fortunate to have the majority of my care covered by insurance. We paid several hundred dollars for medication.
Reading

Strengths [of Fertility Centers of New England] were doctors, nurses and organization. Weaknesses was compassion of the care team...Monitoring was convenient early mornings...Impatient nurses for procedures were great. The phone care team was ok. I didn't always get all the info I was looking for...Dr Hill is upfront and honest. He listened, did thorough testing, gave options and then we got going right away. Since the beginning he's been making adjusting and alterations with each cycle and hopefully we'll get it right soon. I trust his knowledge and compassion to help me and he makes me feel comfortable. The other doctors in the practice have also been great to be a patient of.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
I would recommend Dr Hill & Fertility Centers of New England. Unfirtunately the whole fertility process is stressful and hard.
Doctors were great but the whole fertility process in general makes one feel like a number.
I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve so Dr Hill was initially aggressive in my first IVF cycle. With only 2 mediocre embryos Dr Hill would have preferred to put them both in but unfortunately insurance only allowed 1. I miscarried at 7 weeks. We had to put in the frozen embryo next round despite Dr Hill wanting to do a fresh round and put 2 embryos in so again unfortunately insurance was holding us back. I've been diagnosed and treated for endometritis also. I'm doing aggressive stimulation now for my second IVF round, treatment for the endometritis before 2 embryos finally are transferred. I hope after the first trial, adjustments and 2 embryo transfer like we always wanted this round will have a positive outcome.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strengths were doctors, nurses and organization. Weaknesses was compassion of the care team.
Monitoring was convenient early mornings
Insurance covered costs so just co pays for me
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Husbands blood work was ordered correctly and he had to go back. Typo in the portal for appointment time for we showed up 1.5 hours early for a transfer.

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Very private, friendly office. Their [Fertility Centers of New England] satellite office staff are wonderful....Monitoring appointments at the satellite are tough because it is a small window of time. Some mornings could be extremely busy...You don't have a lot of nurse interaction. The interaction I did have was good. The use their patient portal for a lot of communication. This has its pros and cons. Pros are that you can always get a response through the portal even if you are working or busy. The con is not being able to respond through the portal or ask for questions or clarification.
Dr. Vitiello is a realist. I appreciate her opinion. She can be candid yet respects your wishes. She is not afraid to look outside the box, and is willing customize your treatment. Treats you fertility cycle as her own challenge. She definitely helps give you the confidence and positivity you need while going through treatments. She has personally called me if she had results, or concerns to share. The best fertility Dr. I have been to yet!
She is wonderful! Knowledgable yet personable. She isn't one to sugar coat things, however she is respectful of your feelings.
Dr. Vitiello sits down and speaks to you on a personal level. She is very honest, rational and positive. You get a genuine feeling she wants to help you have a child as much as you do. She likes to draw things out for you and is empathetic to your needs.
I came to Dr. Vitiello as a last hope. I had seen 2 other clinics in the US and even one in Canada. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. No one could give us a reason that standard treatments were not working. Dr. Vitiello wasn't afraid to look outside the box and try different meds and different treatment. Although our one cycle we did with her yielded a low number of eggs, we did find out that the egg retrieved was chromosomally abnormal. We also found my ovarian reserve was very low. She assured me we would find a way to make me a Mom. Right now we are in the process of a donor egg cycle with a gestational carrier. Not the path I ever expected but after talking with Dr. Vitiello I am completely comfortable and happy with our path to parenthood.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Dr. Vitiello has her own care team)
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Very private, friendly office. Their satellite office staff are wonderful.
Rather competitive IVF price. $7,800 (approx).
2014 - 2016, Successful
I am eternally thankful for Beth [Dr. Plante] as our physician. She took into consideration all areas of our health both medical and emotional, and took her time to ensure that we thankfully only had one round and have two beautiful embryos waiting for us if we ever decide to have another...recommend Beth to ANYONE!!...she is thorough she is watching EVERYTHING, even the things you don’t think would be a huge deal. She wants to have everything be as perfect as possible, so follow instructions she is pushing in directions for a reason, not just to frustrate you.
I would never have made it through without the (professional) relationships i built with the nurses [at Fertility Centers of New England] at every level of this journey. The care and compassion i was shown was beyond anything i had ever experienced...Scheduling is often a concern? Get there early for blood draws and ultrasounds if you need to. They are amazing and supportive from the phlebotomist to the desk nurses to the people running the samples and prepping you for procedure.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
I am eternally thankful for Beth as our physician. She took into consideration all areas of our health both medical and emotional, and took her time to ensure that we thankfully only had one round and have two beautiful embryos waiting for us if we ever decide to have another. I have, and will continue, to recommend Beth to ANYONE!!
When she is thorough she is watching EVERYTHING, even the things you don’t think would be a huge deal. She wants to have everything be as perfect as possible, so follow instructions she is pushing in directions for a reason, not just to frustrate you.
Beth and her team were empathetic, compassionate and supportive of my needs and care and while sometimes delivering less than desired news, they were all of these things.
We went straight to an ICSI due to my husbands chromosomal diagnosis that led to some issues for us getting pregnant through any type of intercourse. I got to a predetermined BMI losing 125 lbs prior to treatment to improve success. We did antagonistic, with birth control, estrodiol, menopur, gonal-f, and one other for retrieval that i can’t remember. I had OHSS so we did a freeze all, and transferred a month or so later with estradiol and progesterone in oil until 10 weeks or so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Cahill)
I would never have made it through without the (professional) relationships i built with the nurses at every level of this journey. The care and compassion i was shown was beyond anything i had ever experienced.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
The difference for us is that Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO is amazing. Where some families pay tens of thousands per cycle, we paid copays for all procedures and basic med costs. I think we Pay more in storage of the embryos and sperm we kept each year than we paid that year.
Because we didn’t know how i would respond only that our MFI was the identified problem i was given the choice to transfer one or two with the liklihood that both could take being the conversation and we decided to just try one just in case.
Reading
She [Dr. Beth Plante] kept the drugs at a minimum and was cautious yet aggressive with my cycle. She knew that my insurance company was not covering any drugs so she tried to keep that in mind. She planned to transfer 2 embryos and that's what we did, and now I have a daughter. She was adamant that I use Progesterone injections instead of suppository or cream, and I think that is what really helped, even though I didn't want to do it.
I would like them [Fertility Centers of New England] to have an office in Rhode Island! Their lab is the best! Specially designed unlike any other. They have an embryo scope - which I think led to my embryos developing so well...I think it was 9,000 a cycle and if they first 2 didn't result in a pregnancy, they would do the 3rd one for free. Drugs were not covered...Dr Plante is very realistic and uses research and common sense to drive her decisions. She understands the cost and weighs out each decision knowing what the patient can afford and needs to have done. She communicates with her colleagues so even though she did not do my transfer, they were on the phone with her before I went in to discuss everything. They did not order any unnecessary procedures and the plan they offer (3rd IVF is free) is such a great option. She wrote letters for me to my insurance company and helped me in any way she could.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Listen to her - she knows what she is talking about. Even if you don't want to hear it. And be honest with her about what you need - she will always listen.
She is so personable and friendly and so are her staff. She goes out of her way to care for her patients.
She kept the drugs at a minimum and was cautious yet aggressive with my cycle. She knew that my insurance company was not covering any drugs so she tried to keep that in mind. She planned to transfer 2 embryos and that's what we did, and now I have a daughter. She was adamant that I use Progesterone injections instead of suppository or cream, and I think that is what really helped, even though I didn't want to do it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
They were always available to talk. One even took the time to fill out my applications for IVF grants that I was sending out. They were SO nice.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I would like them to have an office in Rhode Island! Their lab is the best! Specially designed unlike any other. They have an embryo scope - which I think led to my embryos developing so well.
Well efficient and I would only wait a few minutes. It was first come first serve though so you did have to get there early.
She was conservative and realistic. The other Dr I saw wanted to transfer 5 embryos for my next cycle because of my age. I immediately left that practice.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr Plante was very easy to work with. She provided clear instructions and rationale for her treatment plans. We disagreed with her on wanting to transfer two embryos on our second cycle. She explained the risks and agreed to transfer two on the day of embryo transfer after confirming there were two healthy embryos to transfer.
Strength [of Fertility Centers of New England]: multiple locations with availability for blood work and ultra sounds. Weakness: injection instruction was a video, not an in person instruction (although they may offer in person if requested)...Most of the communication was done via a web portal, which was less personal at times, however it meant I had easy access to instructions. The nurses always returned my calls quickly. They were structured in care teams, so while I didn't have a specific nurse, it was always the same group who worked with Dr Plante.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Write down your questions. She will answer all of them!
Dr Plante was warm and compassionate. I found the staff to be easy to talk to, especially the insurance specialists. They handled my questions and concerns with grace and always took my concerns seriously.
Our treatment was over a year ago, I recall we were on an antagonist cycle, and the second cycle she increased my dose of gonal-f, other than that I don't recall much.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strength: multiple locations with availability for blood work and ultra sounds. Weakness: injection instruction was a video, not an in person instruction (although they may offer in person if requested)
Monitoring at the office near me was between 7&730 every day except Sunday. I never had to wait longer than 15 minutes. The ultrasound tech and phlebotomist were lovely and very supportive. They were just as excited as I was when I got a positive pregnancy test!
Insurance covered most, we spent ~$8,000 out of pocket after insurance coverage stopped. This included both fresh cycles, meds, and a hysteroscopy.

2014 - 2015, Successful
So I guess that [Dr Beth Plante] is an optimist, which could be good or bad depending on what you need from your fertility doctor. She never told me that was a possibility. But the cycle really failed because we didn't do ICSI - but this was because our insurance wouldn't cover it at that point. Our second IVF cycle, I was much more prepared for what could happen. I think there is a learning curve on both sides with fertility treatments. Any
My husband has MFI so IVF was the way to go for us. I think we started out [at Fertility Centers of New England] with the Antagonist Protocol (or something like that) for our first IVF treatment. We did not do ICSI as it hadn't been demonstrated that it was necessary for the insurance company. No viable embryos resulted and I got OHSS from this cycle. Our second IVF cycle, Beth put me on the Microflare Protocol with Lupron. She was hoping that I wouldn't overstimulate with this protocol so that we had the possibility of doing a fresh transfer. We did ICSI this time but I got OHSS even worse than before! So no fresh transfer but we were able to freeze 3 embryos. We did a FET with one embryo after that and it resulted in our now 3 month old healthy baby girl.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
I really like Beth. I think she is a great doctor and really cares about her patients. She called me personally a few times before or after procedures to check in with me, which I really appreciated. My first IVF cycle ended up being a bust - I wasn't prepared to not have any embryos come out of that so that was a bit of a shock. So I guess that Beth is an optimist, which could be good or bad depending on what you need from your fertility doctor. She never told me that was a possibility. But the cycle really failed because we didn't do ICSI - but this was because our insurance wouldn't cover it at that point. Our second IVF cycle, I was much more prepared for what could happen. I think there is a learning curve on both sides with fertility treatments. Anyway, we ended up having to do an FET because I got OHSS with my second round of IVF. My FET resulted in my now 3 month old healthy baby girl so I am pretty happy with everything that Beth did for us. We have two more embryos in storage so if/when we are ready for baby #2, I'll gladly call Beth to schedule another FET!
I think for fertility treatments in general you have to be ready to adapt. Beth is great and will do everything she can to help.
Beth was very warm and caring. She called me personally a few times before or after procedures to check in with me, which I really appreciated.
My husband has MFI so IVF was the way to go for us. I think we started out with the Antagonist Protocol (or something like that) for our first IVF treatment. We did not do ICSI as it hadn't been demonstrated that it was necessary for the insurance company. No viable embryos resulted and I got OHSS from this cycle. Our second IVF cycle, Beth put me on the Microflare Protocol with Lupron. She was hoping that I wouldn't overstimulate with this protocol so that we had the possibility of doing a fresh transfer. We did ICSI this time but I got OHSS even worse than before! So no fresh transfer but we were able to freeze 3 embryos. We did a FET with one embryo after that and it resulted in our now 3 month old healthy baby girl.
The nursing staff was great! I really liked that each doctor at FCNE had their own care team so that each time you called you were speaking to a nurse who was familiar with your case. Everyone I spoke to and saw was very nice and informative.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
My experiences at FCNE were great. Everyone was very nice and informative. The only thing - which isn't necessarily bad - is that you don't see your own doctor for every procedure. My egg retrievals were done by Dr. Hill and my transfer was done by Dr. Vitiello. So if you want your own doctor to be performing every procedure, this might not be the clinic for you. I was comfortable having the other doctors perform my procedures though.
You were told to go in for ultrasounds and blood work on a specific day. You could go in at whatever time worked for you within their "monitoring hours," which varies based on which office you were going to. I think they were all in the morning so that you could go in before work if you needed to. I think the hours for the Reading office was something like 6-7:45am. You would sign in when you got there and you check off whether you are there for an ultrasound, blood work or both and they called you in on a first come first serve basis. If you were only there for blood work you could be in and out in a few minutes. Ultrasounds took longer.
Our insurance covered our treatments. We paid our deductible and then co-pays. After the first year (which is covered by insurance), embryo storage is $500 per year.

2011 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Vitiello was always up to speed on our history. She knew what we had tried and what had (almost) worked. She knew us, what we did for work, what we did outside of work, our families, etc. She was able to handle difficult conversations, when we were so upset over failures.
FCNE [Fertility Centers of New England] has a specific system for cycles. If you do it 8 times or more, you get familiar with the protocol, the early morning blood tests and ultrasounds, the medications, and the retrievals. You will not necessarily see your primary doctor for the retrieval or transfer. I had a few with Dr. Ian Hardy, who has since lost his license for molesting patients. That was pretty awful to discover mid-way through the process.
Dr. Vitiello is extremely smart, and a clear communicator. She explains treatments, options, and success rates clearly and openly. She is realistic, and cares about your journey, what you have put yourself through to start a family.
Do not get upset about hearing the facts. Facts are facts. Sometimes you need to hear them, and adjust your mindset to maybe take a different path than you expected to. The end result is what matters.
Antagonist - 2 cycles (1 chemical pregnancy), Long Lupron - 2 cycles (1 negative test, 1 nothing to transfer), Microflare - 4 cycles (1 pregnancy ended in miscarriage, 2 gathered for PGD, frozen transfer and negative test, 1 positive pregnancy with donor sperm, full term)
The helpfulness of the nurses varied. I saw a lot of different nurses over 5 years. Some specialized in giving instructions for medication and testing, some were mostly in the surgical area for retrievals and procedures. Some were friendlier/more compassionate than others. There also seemed to be a lot of turnover. I actually had to correct them on instructions several times.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
FCNE has a specific system for cycles. If you do it 8 times or more, you get familiar with the protocol, the early morning blood tests and ultrasounds, the medications, and the retrievals. You will not necessarily see your primary doctor for the retrieval or transfer. I had a few with Dr. Ian Hardy, who has since lost his license for molesting patients. That was pretty awful to discover mid-way through the process.
Monitoring appointments is done early in the morning - 6 - 7:30 am. It was first come, first served. Occasionally the computer system was down or the ultrasound machine wasn't working, and there were long waits. But most of the time, they moved things along. The phlebotomists and ultrasound techs were some of the nicest people I had contact with during a cycle.
My insurance plan covered fertility treatments up to $50,000. I had to pay copays for medications, and had a high deductible plan, so up to $3,000 out of pocket per year.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
After a while, I became very familiar with the dosages and instructions for each IVF cycle. I do not remember specifics, but I know I had to correct the nurse on dosages/instructions on more than one occasion.

2015, Successful
[Fertility Centers of New England is a] large clinic in an easily accessible area. They are open 7 days a week and always have a doctor on call for questions or emergencies. The practice has about six doctors that rotate schedules, so you may not always get your doctor for procedures or phone calls....Nurses would update the online portal with instructions. They were always available to speak with during business hours and would confer with the doctor as necessary. The nurses in the pre-procedure/recovery area were very nice.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr. Hill has a warm personality, as described earlier. We didn't have a ton of interaction with him once the IVF cycle started as your care is managed by the team of doctors and nurses.
He can present a lot of information at once, which can be overwhelming, but is open to questions.
Dr. Hill has a warm nature about him. He was a bit overwhelming at first when we found out our diagnosis and he went straight to talking about IVF. Though this was our only option, we personally didn't have time to wrap our head around it before he went on to explain the entire procedure and ask us when we wanted to start. Though he was my primary doctor, the practice operates with many physicians and you will talk to or meet with whoever is on call or on schedule that day.
Because we had male factor infertility that could not be improved upon enough to conceive naturally, Dr. Hill let us know up front that we would need an IVF cycle with ICSI. We were lucky to get pregnant on the first try with a fresh cycle. The rest of the embryos were frozen for future use.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Large clinic in an easily accessible area. They are open 7 days a week and always have a doctor on call for questions or emergencies. The practice has about six doctors that rotate schedules, so you may not always get your doctor for procedures or phone calls.
Ultrasounds were always done in the morning for set hours. It was first come, first serve. Since I work early I made sure to be there right when they opened. I don't remember a time that I had to wait more than a half hour.
We are lucky to live in Massachusetts, which covers fertility treatment. We've only had to pay the medication co-pays out-of-pocket. This was still a significant cost over about a month (around $500).
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
There was a mix-up with my results in the online portal. I called to confirm if it was correct or not and the results were corrected.

2014, Successful
He [Dr. Hill] talks really fast, until you know the lingo you can get lost. He is to the point, which can be a bit hard when you want more than what you got...
They [Fert Cnt of N Eng - Reading] work with a lot of patients, while that can lead to mistakes like I experienced, it also means they have seen a lot of different cases and that gives them a considerable amount of knowledge to pull from when solving the complex issues that comes with each individual's infertility...I did everything through the portal, so there wasn't really interaction. She responded promptly and thoroughly. I remember liking her...
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
He talks really fast, until you know the lingo you can get lost. He is to the point, which can be a bit hard when you want more than what you got. Sometimes you just want to cling to your poor embryos
Double-check your regimens and information, it can be years between transfers, especially if successful, and they may not be reading everything. They deal with many patients, don't assume they remember you can't have a certain medication. As with any doctor, you need to be your own advocate. Don't get to caught up in what others did for their cycle but do check with Dr Hill to see if it might work well for you.
I was repeatedly given a regimen or information for what I am guessing is a typical patient. This led to me being put on a medication I couldn't be on, had we not discussed this beforehand I would understand them missing it, but we had discussed it. I assumed there was something different about what they prescribed, but no, they just missed that I couldn't be on it. That caused a cancelled cycle. They almost sent my embryo biopsies to a lab that couldn't test them. Fortunately, I asked enough questions that the mistake was caught before my embryos were destroyed in some sort of freeze thaw marathon. The staff needs to slow down and read charts and patient information
We wanted a lot of eggs because my issue leads to very few being viable. Even with my low weight, he had me take a medium dose of goal-f, my body reacted too well and he immediately adjusted my protocol to slow me down and bring my estrogen down. If my estrogen continued to skyrocket he was going to "coast" me which he explained can lead to diminished egg quality, fortunately, we did not need to coast. Instead of a day 10 egg collection, I was ready at day 9. He got a whopping 25 eggs... This led to 8 day 5, 1 compatible with life and 2 inconclusive. We agreed to let my body recover and skip the next cycle. The following cycle my lining decided to slough off mid-cycle, so we cancelled. Finally, having my body back to normal for transfer really was the best thing, my lining cooperated and we transferred. They monitored through the first few weeks then it was all my OB. I have a beautiful little boy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
I did everything through the portal, so there wasn't really interaction. She responded promptly and thoroughly. I remember liking her, but it has been too long. I do remember an issue with the hospital I was having ultrasounds at. They needed something marked differently on an order. She had the change to me immediately so that none of my testing was delayed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
They work with a lot of patients, while that can lead to mistakes like I experienced, it also means they have seen a lot of different cases and that gives them a considerable amount of knowledge to pull from when solving the complex issues that comes with each individual's infertility.
It was $11,800 for IVF with PGD, $2000 for medication, $3500 for the PGD probe, plus travel and hotel. Came out to $24,000, roughly, the first year. We have paid $500 each additional year to preserve our inconclusive embryos. To retest our embryos, it will be another $3500 plus lab fees. I need to ask what just a FET will cost, I am sure it is on their site. Their site is very informative. We try to take this one step at a time, after the number of miscarriages we have had you learn not to plan too far ahead. Right now we are enjoying our miracle.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
During my initial consult, we discussed a drug intolerance, I was later prescribed that drug under a name I did not recognize. When I realized it and questioned it, they had me immediately cease using it

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Weiss] would look at what did and didn't work out well in the last cycle and based on that, develop a treatment plan for the next cycle. Sometimes the next cycle worked out better, sometime not, but he was very logical about why he tweaked something, not "just because".
It's a smaller clinic compared to others, especially those at major hospitals. A much more personal approach. They have state-of-the-art technology like Embryoscope. Excellent embryologist and embryology lab, possible one of the best in the area. Very comfortable setting and generally accommodating with appointment times.
How was your experience with Robert Weiss at Fertility Centers of New England?
He's a compassionate and intelligent doctor and wonderful bedside manner. He truly cares about his patients. He's willing to consider new treatment and diagnostic options if he believes it's not potentially harmful and if there is some data to justify trying it. He personalizes the protocols and adjusts on a personal basis.
He is open to discussing diagnostics and treatment options with patients, taking their concerns and opinions into consideration.
He was incredibly compassionate, knew our case well, listened to and addressed our concerns, and was genuinely disappointed with us when treatment failed.
He would look at what did and didn't work out well in the last cycle and based on that, develop a treatment plan for the next cycle. Sometimes the next cycle worked out better, sometime not, but he was very logical about why he tweaked something, not "just because".
Nursing staff was wonderful and got to know patients who've been there longer well. They were fairly organized and prompt to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
They have many monitoring sites, making it much easier to get to one that isn't so far from home. The times are open ended, first-come-first-served. Some sites do have limited hours though, so being there on time is critical.
Reading

He [Dr. Joseph Hill] recommended one embryo to be transferred and his reasons supported that decision...really cared about me. When he would talk to me he would say, "If you were my daughter" that meant a lot to me so it made me really listen to his advice...We worked with Dr. Hill for our donor egg cycle. I live out of state so I have never met him in person. I sometimes felt a little rushed on the phone and wish he would of spent more time with me. I would hang up and realize I didn't get a chance to ask all of my questions.
The cycle did not go so well [at Fertility Centers of New England] and I was told that we should cancel the cycle but we kept going. We ended up with PGS tested embryos so I am glad we didn't stop...The nursing staff was amazing. Very supportive and helpful and quick to respond to calls or questions...We went to the clinic once and it looked beat up. It needs a facelift for sure. The waiting room so small and there weren't enough chairs for my husband so he has to wait in the lobby. The wait time was great and the staff was friendly and helpful.
How was your experience with Joseph Hill at Fertility Centers of New England?
Go prepared with questions and don't let him rush you. This is your time.
I believe Dr. Hill really cared about me. When he would talk to me he would say, "If you were my daughter" that meant a lot to me so it made me really listen to his advice.
I do not remember that protocol we used for our donor. The cycle did not go so well and I was told that we should cancel the cycle but we kept going. We ended up with PGS tested embryos so I am glad we didn't stop.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
His cost were reasonable compared to our first clinic. I still hope that one day insurance will help cover some costs. We were 100% out of pocket.
He recommended one embryo to be transferred and his reasons supported that decision.