Genetic counseling is not offered
Nutrition counseling is not offered

6420 Dutchman’s Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40205
502-749-6420

We always saw Dr. Archer and I was always greeted by name but my appointments felt rushed and I felt that my protocol and treatment plan was not personalized or adjusted for my specific needs. ... I was not offered all my options when it became clear that I was at high risk of hyper stimulating. ... I never had the complete picture on how my cycle was going and what that meant for my chances at success.
I’ve described it elsewhere, but the big issue [Feritlity First] was the lack of communication when I was told I would be contacted. There were also issues with the wrong tests ordered at the lab—initially I thought it was the lab but when it happened again I wasn’t sure. ... There isn’t actually a nursing staff, and I wish there had been. ... You always see the doctor, billing was very straightforward, and it wasn’t hard to get an appointment.
How was your experience with Johanna Archer at Fertility First (closed)?
I’ll start by saying my initial experience was positive. I had to have a hysterscopy to remove polyps and it went well and resolved the issues with heavy periods I’d had for years. She also explained everything in detail during those initial appointments. During our IVF cycle, however, I felt like I was constantly rushed through appointments, and I never had the complete picture on how my cycle was going and what that meant for my chances at success. I was not offered all my options when it became clear that I was at high risk of hyper stimulating. Two doctors since have looked at my protocol and were surprised to see how my cycle was managed. I think the issue is she was aiming for a higher quantity of eggs, when a more conservative approach would have been safer and more effective.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Johanna Archer at Fertility First (closed)?
Ask not only what you are doing, but why. Ask for the implications of any and all results. Ask what all your options are, and what each means for the potential success of your cycle. Do not leave an appointment without knowing what your dosages are and exactly when to expect a call.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Johanna Archer at Fertility First (closed)?
I didn’t feel strongly one way or the other. We always saw Dr. Archer and I was always greeted by name but my appointments felt rushed and I felt that my protocol and treatment plan was not personalized or adjusted for my specific needs.
Describe the protocols Johanna Archer used in your cycles at Fertility First (closed) and their degree of success.
I started on 150 of Gonal-f, along with a dose of micro-HCG (can’t recall how much). I didn’t have a lot of response at first so she increased the Gonal-f every other day, ending up at 250. When my estrogen spiked, she didn’t decrease my dose but instead continued for several days. Then, she had me coast for 3 days before triggering with Lupron. At no point was I offered an option besides coasting.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility First (closed).
There isn’t actually a nursing staff, and I wish there had been.
Describe your experience with Fertility First (closed).
You always see the doctor, billing was very straightforward, and it wasn’t hard to get an appointment. Communication wasn’t great, and I had no online chart so I had to be diligent about writing down everything in every appointment, because I didn’t have a written report available (aside from the meds calendar). Never leave an appointment without knowing your exact next steps and when to expect phone calls.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Johanna Archer at Fertility First (closed).
I went through insurance so I can’t say exactly. Everything was in network.
Describe Johanna Archer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility First (closed).
Not applicable
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility First (closed).
I’ve described it elsewhere, but the big issue was the lack of communication when I was told I would be contacted. There were also issues with the wrong tests ordered at the lab—initially I thought it was the lab but when it happened again I wasn’t sure. The biggest issue was that my doctor changed my protocol without explaining my options or even giving me any options. I think the doctor is spread too thin.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
she [Dr. Archer] seems to spread herself too thin with too many patients. Our appointments with her rarely lasted more than 5-10 minutes, and she seemed to rush through the information and plan for the next step. Even after seeing her multiple times a month for over a year, she always had to review my chart during appointments like she didn't remember me... She seems very dedicated to helping people have the children that they desire so badly, and is very flexible with scheduling and payment.
Since it [Fertility First] is a very small office, the same staff was there most of the time. One of the nurses was friendly and always remembered me. The other nurse was somewhat abrasive in personality and seemed to get annoyed easily by patients...Dr. Archer is the only doctor. That can make it feel very personalized at times. However, it doesn't feel as private as it should. It's hard not to hear what's going on with other patients who are being seen before you, and there's no separate entrance or exit for men who are, ahem, giving their samples....so it can be very awkward and, I'm sure, embarrassing for the men.
How was your experience with Johanna Archer at Fertility First (closed)?
My overall experience with Dr. Archer was that she genuinely loves what she does and wants to help everyone she can. She seems very dedicated to helping people have the children that they desire so badly, and is very flexible with scheduling and payment. And my husband and I would like to go back to her when we get in a position to afford IVF. That being said, she seems to spread herself too thin with too many patients. Our appointments with her rarely lasted more than 5-10 minutes, and she seemed to rush through the information and plan for the next step. Even after seeing her multiple times a month for over a year, she always had to review my chart during appointments like she didn't remember me. I know it's hard for a doctor to keep up with all the details of every patient's treatment, but it felt a little more impersonal than this process should feel.
Ask questions, get her to slow down when she's explaining things to you so you completely understand your treatment, and be open and honest with her about what you want and what your limitations are (financial, physical, emotional).
Dr. Archer seems to genuinely care about her work and her patients. However, she does tend to rush through appointments and keep her eyes on the chart unless you stop her to talk or ask questions.
My first cycle, we used Clomid and Dr. Archer monitored follicle growth with ultrasounds every few days. She increased the dosage as we went if she wasn't seeing the growth she needed to see. After Clomid was not effective, we switched to Femera and followed the same strategies of monitoring follicle growth with ultrasounds and increasing the dosage as we went if needed. When at least 2 follicles reached the right size, we did a trigger shot to make me ovulate, and then timed intercourse. After 3 cycles of this not being effective, we moved to Femera with a trigger shot and IUI. The second cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After the 3rd cycle failed, we decided to take a break from treatments.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility First (closed).
Since it is a very small office, the same staff was there most of the time. One of the nurses was friendly and always remembered me. The other nurse was somewhat abrasive in personality and seemed to get annoyed easily by patients.
Describe your experience with Fertility First (closed).
This is a very small office, as Dr. Archer is the only doctor. That can make it feel very personalized at times. However, it doesn't feel as private as it should. It's hard not to hear what's going on with other patients who are being seen before you, and there's no separate entrance or exit for men who are, ahem, giving their samples....so it can be very awkward and, I'm sure, embarrassing for the men.
Around $1000 per IUI cycle
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility First (closed).
The clinic stopped stocking trigger shots in the office and did not inform me during one of my cycles that I had to order it myself. However, they were able to provide me with the medication at the time.

2013 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I think that Dr. Archer did what she thought was right for us, but it didn't work. I wonder if we would be more successful with a different set of eyes looking at the situation. She always seemed to care about us, but we repeatedly the same process over and over and over.... We tried ovulation stimulating medications (Clomid & Letrozole) with intercourse. Then we tried ovulation stimulating medications with IUI. Then we tried injectable ovulation stimulating medications with IUI. Then we moved on to IVF. We did over two years with medications and IUI until we moved to IVF.
This [Fertility First] is a small office. I'm not sure if the staff was a nursing staff or office staff. Dr. Archer did all the medical procedures, except those related to IVF. I went to an office in Evansville to the IVF, even though I was technically Dr. Archer's patient....since it is so small, I hated that I had to go somewhere else for the IVF.... Dr. Archer's office was GREAT with billing. That was probably the best thing about their office.
How was your experience with Johanna Archer at Fertility First (closed)?
Be your own advocate and if you want to try something else push for it.
Every time I went to the office, Dr. Archer and her staff recognized me and called me by name.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility First (closed).
This is a small office. I'm not sure if the staff was a nursing staff or office staff. Dr. Archer did all the medical procedures, except those related to IVF. I went to an office in Evansville to the IVF, even though I was technically Dr. Archer's patient.
Describe your experience with Fertility First (closed).
It is a small office. That is nice when you think about how well people get to know you. However, since it is so small, I hated that I had to go somewhere else for the IVF. That procedure was so grueling emotionally and physically that it was difficult to go so far away and work with so many new people.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility First (closed).
This was an easy experience. I was always given a window in which to make an individual appointment. I was always seen individually and discretely.
No comments.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility First (closed).
I don't remember any of things not getting resolved. Human error happens from time to time. No error was so large that could not be resolved easily and quickly.
2013 - 2016, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Archer is a...] Good doctor. Works solo in the clinic 7 days a week as needed. Support staff is not much support. Miscommunications were mostly due to receptionist error...
[Fertililty First clinic staff is...] Not organized or on same page with each other and sometimes the doctor...Take notes. Ask questions. Double check all appointments and dosages...
How was your experience with Johanna Archer at Fertility First (closed)?
Take notes. Ask questions. Double check all appointments and dosages.
They get me in and out which I like. Normally there is not much waiting in the waiting room.
Oral meds and suppositories for all iuis, all negative results. Follistim, ganrilex, Lupron, progesterone, Estrace for IVF, negative result.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility First (closed).
Not organized or on same page with each other and sometimes the doctor.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility First (closed).
Instructions for dosage changes was left at a wrong number. Doctor was not notified of appointment scheduled before open hours, therefore I had to reschedule. Wrong info was given to other clinic.