Fertility Institute of New Orleans

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
8585 Picardy Ave
4770 S I-10 Service Rd W
Metairie, LA 70001
3525 Prytania St
New Orleans, LA 70115
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Institute of New Orleans to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 33Neutral: 10Don't recommend: 68.6
Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The sooner you start the sooner you start getting answers. The receptionist is amazing, the clinic would not be the same without her. The nurse Cindy always gives so much detail, wish I could have seen her more. Dr Dunaway is exceptional.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly. Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles, I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
How was your experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Dunaway has compassion for his patients. I’ve never felt rushed in a consult with him. He thoroughly explains procedures. He has years of experience. You are able to communicate with him through personal email and he promptly answers ANY questions the best he can. I would recommend Dr Dunaway.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Do you research first to know what questions to ask. You are your biggest advocate.
Describe the protocols Heber Dunaway used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
He always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Wish I would have got a price sheet of consult and standard procedure cost.
Baton Rouge
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is quiet, clean, discrete and professional. Infertility can be a scary and even embarrassing issue to deal with but I never felt weird in there. For the most part, they are on time. They have a TV to watch which is nice, you watch HGTV while you wait. They have water, coffee, and comfortable seats. I feel very peaceful in there. Its not too large so you don't get lost.... After getting some bad news about my follicle count one cycle, I started crying at the checkout station. The woman working the station was so sweet and caring and even got me some water.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is quiet, clean, discrete and professional. Infertility can be a scary and even embarrassing issue to deal with but I never felt weird in there. For the most part, they are on time. They have a TV to watch which is nice, you watch HGTV while you wait. They have water, coffee, and comfortable seats. I feel very peaceful in there. Its not too large so you don't get lost.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I always felt important. Dr. Sartor answered all my questions patiently and she was always very gentle during the IUI procedures. Also, the staff are amazing. After getting some bad news about my follicle count one cycle, I started crying at the checkout station. The woman working the station was so sweet and caring and even got me some water. I never feel rushed at the office and someone will always call me back if I have a question.
The nursing staff are phenomenal. I've worked with three of Dr. Sartor's nurses. They are all patient, kind, compassionate and knowledgeable. They don't rush you and are there to listen even if you just want to talk things through. They always call me back if I have any questions.
How was your experience with Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
On my first visit with Dr. Sartor, I met with her for over an hour. She explained everything very carefully with me and made sure I understood all the costs and risks. She is very direct but sincere. I never felt as though she had given me false hope or made it seem impossible. During IUIs, she is very gentle and talks her way through it so there are no surprises. My only suggestion is that I wish I could see her more, instead of a nurse, on visits when they are adjusting the procedures.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
If she doesn't call you back, her nurse definitely will before the end of the day. Don't worry if they don't get back to you within the hour.
Describe the protocols Sissy Sartor used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
My first IUI cycle we did 10 days of oral hormones, and 3 injections of Follistem. I had three good follicles, but a negative pregnancy test. My second IUI cycle, we did 2 weeks of birth control, then 5 days of oral hormones, and 3 injections of Follistem. We also followed up with progesterone after the IUI. I had one good follicle, but a negative pregnancy test. We skipped the following month because I had a very large cyst on one of my ovaries. My last IUI cycle we did 8 days if Follistem, I had three good follicles and the best sperm count we've ever had, but still, a negative pregnancy test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
An IUI cycle averaged $2500-$3000 depending on the amount of injectable medication.
Describe Sissy Sartor's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Metairie
Office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.... Jackie was great. She often talks fast and I remember thinking, I’m glad I’m a medical professional because otherwise I would be totally lost. She’s honest about chances but does it in a nice way. Always returns your phone calls.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Office is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.
Dr Dunaway would take the time to answer questions. He was compassionate but also honest. Even if I was there for monitoring and needed to ask him something he would be available and happy to help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Dr dunaway is very personable. Laid back and easy to talk to. Will answer questions honestly, even if it is tough to hear. Delivered bad news in a compassionate way. Thinks out loud in front of you, so you know he’s doing his best to come up with a solution.
He is very laid back but very serious about getting you the results you want.
Started with injectable IUI with no success. Moved on to ivf, stimulation did not go as planned and we found out I am a poor responder and converted to IUI. Attempted ivf with different protocol and retrieved 2 mature eggs. 1 fertilized and the other did not. Fertilized egg grew perfectly to day 3 then arrested. We were left with no embryos to attempt transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Monitoring is from 7:30-9:00 on a first come first serve basis. Some days you got lucky and got in and out quick. Other days you may be there for a few hours.
Approx $20,000
Baton Rouge
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I found the nurses [at Fertility Institute of NO] to be lacking compassion but very knowledgeable. My particular nurse always answered my calls always came back with answers never left me hanging, which I was grateful for. Sometimes another nurse would be there and I just found that I was not comfortable I felt like they really didn’t care. ... Consult was $500, IUIS were 500 and my medicated cycle cost with meds around $4,000
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This is a business and it is treated like a business. Be prepared to have money discussed upfront and you won’t get much help or advice on how to finance things. Dr. Dunaway is extremely intelligent he’s to the point and he does not tend to dig too much on your specific issues facing this is a business and it is treated like a business. Be prepared to have money discussed upfront and you won’t get much help or advice on how to finance things. Dr. Dunaway is extremely intelligent he’s to the point and he does not tend to dig too much on your specific issues. He is good at what he does, but I think if you have immune issues or diminished ovarian reserve, you may need to see a specialist. He’s going to keep trying if you allow.
The reason I felt like a number was because each appointment, we went in and it was almost like our doctor did not remember who we were. For example, after a failed medicated cycle, He walked in and immediately started showing us a new type of procedure where they will put the egg and the sperm in a jar and put it inside of you. My husband and I got really excited, until I brought up the fact that I had DOR, and then he said oh yes sorry with the DOR this wouldn’t work. Then, after my laparoscope, he told my husband I have now we would have a regular chance like everyone else. My husband got really excited until I went to my appointment to find out why he had told him that and if this was true and he said well, you have DOR as I just looked up so no maybe not. I kind of felt like he had way too many patients and couldn’t remember our case.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
I know that nurses have to have a hard exterior to work in this profession especially having to see the heart ache day by day. With that in mind, I found the nurses to be lacking compassion but very knowledgeable. My particular nurse always answered my calls always came back with answers never left me hanging, which I was grateful for. Sometimes another nurse would be there and I just found that I was not comfortable I felt like they really didn’t care. My sister is a nurse, so I know this is part of the job.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
This doctor was recommended to me by everyone I know, and he was said to be the best. This doctor was full of knowledge and he did everything he could at the time. I did feel like we didn’t research the underlining cause enough to where we could correct it. Sometimes I felt he had lost his passion for this job and that I was doing just standard protocol for people couldn’t get pregnant. He is a great doctor he is very intelligent and he’s helped so many people but for my specific case, I think I may have needed to see someone who specializes in ovarian reserve.
If you were trying to get pregnant he can absolutely help, but if you are searching for answers to explain you’re in fertility, if it is not basic and you need a lot of testing in research and compassion, then you may need to find another doctor
I did four rounds with my OB/GYN of Clomid because I was not getting a positive ovulation test and my progesterone was always low. All of those cycles failed and I was referred to an endocrinologist. This RE ran my blood panel and discover that my FSH was at a 12 and my AMH was at .7. We also discovered my husband had mild morphology issues. After all of these test, we decided to do a medicated round of injections using Gonal-F and then doing an IUI. We did this in November 2017 and the cycle failed. Once the cycle failed, I demanded a HSG to see if my tubes were blocked. My doctor decided to do a laparoscope Tuesday to be able to go in And put eyes on everything. In January 2018 I was diagnosed with stage to endometriosis. My uterus my ovaries and everything looks good my tubes weren’t blocked and he remove the endometriosis. Currently, I am waiting to see if I can get pregnant on my own for month or two and if this fails, I will try one more medicated round and then go to CYN to do IVF.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen.... Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used.... It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well.... Although a good number of people moved in and out, I felt the monitoring appointments were handled well and went fairly quickly.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used. Bedside manner can be lacking sometimes with support staff. It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well. Mine were mostly only verbally told to me.
The staff is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen. They do not rush you out, and Dr. Dunaway will always listen to your concerns.
My nurse is helpful and kind, but she is not warm. She can be a bit blunt and/or desmissive at times as well. Sometimes the nurses seem a bit disorganized.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options. He also listened to all of my questions even if he did not feel they were relavent to my situation or treatment. He was also available by cell phone and email. I feel he goes above and beyond.
Ditch the huge paper charts and start using electronic medical records. This would save the nurse’s time when going over things like medications. They would only need to click that things were the same instead of writing things out every time. Also, this would allow for lab results to be easily viewed and compared at all times.
Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great. However, they were all chromosomally abnormal, so we did not move on to transfer.
I do not remember specific costs. However, after our failed cycle, Dr. Dunaway did give us a price break for our donor egg FET. Every little bit helps being that we are totally self-pay.
Describe Heber Dunaway's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My doctor is open with patients. He feels this is their decision (within reason). However, now with the new guidelines his clinic is most likely exclusively doing single transfers except for in the case of older women.
Baton Rouge
The only complaint I have ever had is that they [Fert Inst of NO - BR] don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. ...I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures....For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The only complaint I have ever had is that they don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. At my last RE office, you had an appointment for everything, and I don't think I ever waited longer than 10 minutes, and it was usually less than that! For procedures the wait wasn't bad, but it could be awhile for the monitoring appointments. That being said... they make up for this one thing in every other area!
They genuinely care about you, it is very noticeable. Since fall of 2016 when I became a patient there, I have never felt rushed or that the nurse/doctor was annoyed with me in any way. My doctor was waiting when I was wheeled out after my egg retrieval & gave me a high-five. Another time, I started crying when I realized I didn't owe as much money as I thought I did & the receptionist came around the desk & hugged me. And I can hear the sadness in my nurse's voice when she calls with bad news. They seem to get it & they rejoice with you when you get good news, and they are sad with you when you don't. I definitely feel like they want this for me, too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie )
I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures. She's so nice, and I can hear the sadness or excitement in her voice when she calls with bad or good news. I love the entire nursing staff, though. I have worked with Holly, Simone & Cindy, and they've all been so sweet. I worked with Jackie & Simone the most. Angela is the one who draws your blood, and I always laughed & talked with her. Love the staff!
He is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Even if it seems like he is finished with your consult, he will absolutely stop & answer any questions that you have.
It did run smoothly as far as you being called to the back, getting your labs done, getting your ultrasound done, and checking out - however, the wait before you were called to the back could be a bit long.
For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950. This didn't include the consult which was around $210. It also didn't include some tests/labs that add up to be about $1200 (although you don't have to do these if they've been done already at a previous clinic within the last year). And it doesn't include meds which can range from $5-$7k (or more if you do not respond to the meds). Plus we chose to do ICSI which was another $1200.
For me, he always transferred 2 at a time, that was his stance & his protocol for a long time unless the individual situation caused him to only transfer one. However, now he can only transfer one due to Louisiana regulations, unless you are over a certain age (I think 38).
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
During my first IVF cycle [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I was ordered to take a drug once. They didn't tell me how to take it or what time. I ended up calling the Dr on call to find out. During my 2nd IVF, they changed protocol on checking the embryos. I waited to find out how they were doing and never got a call back. I didn't find out until 2 days later that they had changed this protocol. But I was told then and it made sense. I just wish they had told me before.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths-they are knowledgeable and have many years of experience. They are a little conservative when it comes to treatments, which is for the patient's health, but it can be annoying. Weaknesses-they need to be upfront with costs before you start treatment. Nurses need to not smoke or spray with something before coming in the rooms.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
During medicated cycles, you were treated like a number. Which I complained about. Suddenly it got better. Doing IVF, you were a human they were very interested in.
They are nice, and willing to talk to you. One of them smokes too much, and comes in the room smelling of smoke. Also, she is a little blunt. They are caring, and called to check on me when I miscarried. They always call back very quickly.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He has to rely on his notes when he saw you. He shudders, but he is ok to understand. Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Have questions written down before you go. He's happy to answer them, but you have to be prepared to ask them.
Describe the protocols Peter Lu used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Clomid, 3 months, 1 pos pregnancy, miscarried, 1 month metronome, chemical pregnancy, 1st round of IVF, 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized, fresh transfer and frozen. 1 neg, 1 chemical. 2nd IVF round, 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, 3 made if to freeze, 1 neg, 1 pos, ended in miscarriage, about to transfer embryo 3.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
$800 per Clomid cycle $200 for post cloitle exam $12,000 for first IVF cycle $7,000 for 2nd IVF cycle
Describe Peter Lu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I had to do single transfer because of my uteral deformity.
New Orleans
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!... We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!
Although the clinic is very busy, I feel all of my questions are answered and I don't usually feel rushed.
Holly is very informative in the field and answers all of our questions each visit. We feel comfortable with her and think she's really nice and caring.
So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit. We plan to move on to IVF if this second IUI is unsuccessful so I know we will see Dr. Dunaway again at that time. I feel he will address all of our concerns and explain the IVF process thoroughly should we decide to take that route.
Go see him! He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on all the latest technology and advances in fertility treatments. Very kind and caring doctor.
Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology. The first IUI was unsuccessful and I developed cysts from the Clomid. This next cycle, he switched me to Femara 7.5 mg, which I start today! I was prescribed the hcg trigger shot for both cycles, and this time we are adding progesterone suppositories.
We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some) and we had a credit on our account from previous services so we only had to pay $385 the day of the procedure. So the estimate they gave was pretty close, no surprises.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
They do a really good job getting you in and out in a timely manner, which is especially important when you have a full time job. Everyone is friendly and will try to help the best they can. Often the nurse isn’t available to talk when you call but will always call you back that day...All of the nurses were kind and helpful during the treatment. The ultrasound techs were especially kind and gentle, as once my ovaries got so big ultrasounds were very uncomfortable.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
He was very thorough and took a lot of time to explain the treatment. I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy. It’s so important to have a responsible doctor that has the experience to adjust and lower the risk of multiples. We underwent IUI in March 2017 and have beautiful, healthy boy/girl twins that arrived at the end of October. I’d recommend him to anyone!
Ask questions if you don’t understand and he always answers thoroughly.
I had level 1-2 endometriosis that caused me a lot of pain and pregnancy is one of the few treatments for it. I was 23 and my husband was 24 and our blood levels were so good that it was confusing to him why I hadn’t gotten pregnant easily after trying for 6 months. We had a miscarriage in December after getting pregnant naturally and started treatment in March. He decided to use injections for the type of endometriosis I had, as he said with his experience injections worked better for this type. I used 75IU of follistim for about a week and then used 10,000 IU of pregnyl for a trigger. We did IUI the day after trigger. This resulted in a fraternal twin pregnancy.
We spent about $3,200 for one round of injectable IUI. My insurance didn’t cover a lot of the ultrasounds so almost everything was out of pocket.
Metairie
Injection rounds [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk staff is incredible. They are very personable and even coordinate a monthly support group meeting on their own dime. They offer refreshments and rally a medical professional to discuss their field of expertise. The Mandeville location is never crowded(never felt like a cattle service, like other clinics and ob/gyn offices feel like).
He was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendi and Lisa)
I only had issues with one nurse (not named). All other nurses were compassionate, informed, honest, helpful, empathetic, and genuine.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Lu has been rated the best fertility doctor in the region, and I can see how. His strength is assessing a situation and making a treatment plan. He has done a great job of telling us what to expect for each round of treatment and the stats of likely success. I would definitely recommend him.
With infertility in general, Do your own research and always be your own advocate. He is flexible to change your plan if you want to be more aggressive. Come to the appointment with your questions prepared.
Because Clomid thinned by lining worse than its usual level, and letrozole didn't give me much response, Dr Lu put me on injections. He decided I didn't need an IUI since our post coital tests kept coming back postitive. The injections were able to achieve desirable lining thickness and ample follicles. There was still only a 20% success rate for us at best and we did 2 rounds without a bfp. I am completely impressed by his protocol on our IVF. I was so scared as he lowered my meds doses so much but at the end, he manipulated everything PERFECTLY. I was risking and nearly OHSS and he gave me letrozole and cabergoline to prevent full ohss and so I know we maximized the potential for eggs retrieved while keeping me safe. He did an excellent job of changing my doses every day. Transfer was perfect as well.
Clomid and letrozole rounds may have been around 300-400. Injection rounds had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
In August 2017, the SART board regulated in our region that you may only transfer one embryo (or be sanctioned), unless female is 38+yrs old or has had 2 previous failed transfers, no other exceptions. I was sad to only transfer one but it wasn't really up to Dr Lu. All the fertility clinics in Louisiana have to adhere to the new regulations. He was clear about the risks of transferring more than one, though.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
The clinic and Nurses [at Fert Institute of NO] were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process....Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive...Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive but they are the best in our area, so I do not regret going to them first.
The clinic and Nurses were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process.
Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm. Go in to appointments with questions ready to go so she isn't in and out. Very clear on directions, but can skim over side effects and emotional aspects of fertility treatment. Overall impression, they aren't there to baby you-they are there to get you pregnant.
Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff. He is worth going to just by his success rate alone. Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc.
Trust his opinion, but if you are detail-oriented, have all questions ready to go! Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
I should have kept notes. Lots of Lupron. Gonal and menopur for retrieval--doses changed often based on ultrasound and labs. A few oral meds to avoid OHSS after retrieval. I wanted to try a fresh transfer but they did not allow it due to my lab levels. For transfer, estradiol IM and patches, then added in IM progesterone. After transfer, added baby aspirin for a while. Switched IM progesterone to vaginal suppository. Stopped all meds at 10 weeks. Weekly ultrasounds until I "graduated" to regular ob at 10 weeks.
Ultrasounds and labs were scheduled in the mornings. Quick and efficient. Ultrasound and lab techs are very friendly. I always picked up new information from the ultrasound techs during my ultrasounds. (Sometimes they mentioned things I feel like I should have known about from the nurse! I wish I remember a good example of this.)
1 egg retrieval with 2 transfers cost about 12,000. ICSI was another $2000, roughly. Med cost was not included in this. I paid half up front, then the other half later on, I believe close to my transfer date.
Standard for my age was 2 embryo transfers, which I was fine with.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The nursing staff at The Fertility Institute is inconsistent. Some of Dr. Lu's nurses are absolutely wonderful. They respond to requests in a timely manner and when I was starting at-home injections, gave me their cell phone number just in case I forgot how to properly mix something during off-hours. This is my primary nurse with Dr. Lu. The other nurses who have supported me at random points don't feel as invested or knowledgeable of my course of treatment...The clinic is extremely well organized! You can expect the same routine each time you go and the staff is efficient and mindful of your time. They are also flexible with scheduling appointments and have a very thorough financing department.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
From the first appointment with Dr. Lu, I felt that he was deeply invested in my individual fertility journey. He was candid about the different infertility realities couples face and outlined his reasoning behind every single test he first administered. He has continued to be patient, thorough, and transparent throughout the ups and downs of our treatment. He has listened to what our major concerns are and has helped us to make the most informed decisions possible that are the best for our family.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu's strengths include taking a thorough approach to understanding his patients' history and goals for seeking fertility treatment. He is a candid communicator and is able to answer our questions from both a statistical and a compassionate mindset. I have felt confident in every step of our treatment because Dr. Lu truly understands our specific concerns and keeps those at the forefront of every recommendation. I have also appreciated his straightforward approach to communicating next steps and results, while still leaving room for compassion and understanding. An example of this is when he called with the Diminished Ovarian Reserve results. I was 29 at the time and this was a result we sincerely did not consider possible. Dr. Lu re-explained the testing process, the diagnosis, and his recommended treatment comprehensively, but stopped to say "I hear that you're upset, and I want you to know that it's okay. Now is the time to be upset." This was incredibly affirming of my experience as a patient. He was gentle in pushing us forward in our treatment to not waste time while also being incredibly understanding.
Dr. Lu is a straightforward communicator and an incredibly good listener but you should be prepared to ask questions and be clear about your concerns and goals! He answers all of our questions in full and has continued to keep our goals in mind. I would imagine that if you don't have those things ready and would like more of a coaching approach, you may not feel fulfilled in the relationship.
My husband and I tried to conceive naturally for 10 months before I made an appointment with my gynecologist, Dr. Sacha Wax. Due to my history of endometriosis, she moved forward with treatment and prescribed the first round of Clomid (50 mg/day), suspecting that I wasn’t successfully ovulating. My reaction to Clomid was not ideal but not uncommon. I developed a large cyst and went on birth control to diminish its size. Due to my history, reaction, and low progesterone, Dr. Wax recommended that I see a fertility specialist, and I made an appointment with Dr. Lu. The first few appointments with Dr. Lu were likely what every couple experiences on this journey. Bloodwork, ultrasounds, more bloodwork. From the initial imaging, Dr. Lu suspected an ovulation timing issue. We tried the HCG shot to trigger ovulation when one of my follicles was just on the cusp of the right size and my lining looked great. More bloodwork and progesterone supplements followed, as well as another sizeable cyst that ruptured and resulted in a trip to the emergency room. In the follow up conversation with Dr. Lu, he said that my bloodwork revealed my AMH results were extremely and surprisingly low for my age (29). I had an AMH of 0.677, when he expected it to be closer to 8, which meant my ovarian reserve was very low. The next step Dr. Lu recommended was another round of Clomid (100 mg/day), not to try for a successful pregnancy but instead to determine my FSH level to identify the quality of the eggs left in my limited reserve. The Clomid caused my FSH levels to almost double (from 6.8 to 11) which confirmed that both the quantity and quality of my ovarian reserve are extremely low. From there, Dr. Lu recommended that we try one-two months of Follistim injections (October 2016) in the hopes that this course of treatment would be successful instead of IVF. We tried one month of Follistim (150 mg/day) and I developed only one viable follicle on my left ovary, with two much smaller on my right. The treatment was unsuccessful and, on November 1, 2016, Dr. Lu shared that we were now at the point where IVF was the only course of treatment he could recommend due to my poor response to Follistim.
In total (including medications, imaging, bloodwork, special testing, and office visit fees) we have spent over $6,000 on our fertility treatment thus far. Louisiana Insurance companies are not required to cover infertility treatment so none of our visits with Dr. Lu are covered.
We have not gotten to this point in our treatment yet.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic [Fert Inst of NO] does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy...[Nursing staff] Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see...he staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute... It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy.
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing. The staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute. Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly and then Jackie)
Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see even though infertility is extremely hard to deal with.
My statement from the human vs number will be the same answer. He is caring and compassionate, but straightforward with issues. He always has a plan ready if one plan didn't work out the way we hoped.
Don't waste your time seeing a OB/GYN. Let Dr. Dunaway help you get where you want to be quicker. He is amazing!
Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills. IUI with shots- my body didn't react enough to the pills. First time with shots I ovulated early which resulted in a negative pregnancy test and another medicine being added the next go around. 2 more cycles both with a negative pregnancy test. Surgery followed to see if their were blockages or other issues. IVF is our next step. Unfortunately, we have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
I have no cover under insurance for infertility and unexplained infertility. It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
Baton Rouge
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information...Since I won the half off IVF, I was charged half of the costs. My total was around $7,500 - that included freezing all embryos and 1 transfer, so I would guess the costs would be around $14-15k (plus medicine). The ultrasounds that I had after my positive pregnancy test were paid separately..... They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic participated with an organization called Sarah's Laughter. SL hosts a Baby Steps fun run every year where they give away a $10k grant to one couple, and The Fertility Institute gave away a FREE IVF cycle. At Baby Steps 2015, Dr. Dunaway saw how many people had participated, so he gave away an additional half off IVF, 2 free IUIs, and a few free consultations. I signed up for Baby Steps and created a "race team". My name was chosen for the half off IVF cycle. Without Dr. Dunaway's generosity, I don't think I would be pregnant right now. At this point, I really cannot think of any weaknesses. They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
The staff at the Fertility Institute-BR are SO precious! I live 4 hours away from the clinic and they are so sweet and accommodating. They know my name, ask me how I'm doing, talk about real life, etc.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information. She does kind of talk fast, but when I ask her to repeat something she will even say, "I'm sorry I'm talking so fast..." then she will repeat or answer whatever question I have. The ultrasound girls are super sweet. They always talk to me, ask me how I'm doing, talk about the day, etc. I probably ask them the most questions while they are doing my ultrasound, "what's that? is that a good thing? why does that look like that? how do you know that the blob is a follicle and not a cyst?" they are always SO sweet and answer every single question...and they don't make me feel like I'm bothering them by asking. Another nurse that I've seen is Simone. She was there on my retrieval day & transfer day. She was really kind and caring. I don't remember the names of the other nurses who were there for my pre-op and post-op retrieval, but they were very sweet.
I really like Dr. Dunaway. His communication and personality are a very good fit for me. I prefer direct and to the point communication. I like that he kind of thinks out loud when we talk...that lets me know he's weighing different options about the protocol he's giving me and not just sticking to a cookie-cutter plan. He tells me the truth, asks me questions, asks if I am comfortable with what he's telling me to do or medicine to take. I feel like he communicates clearly and that is very important.
I just "graduated" from the clinic and am 10 weeks pregnant! Dr. Dunaway is an excellent doctor. He's the second RE that I've seen, and I trust him. Still ask questions if there's something you don't understand, but he explained things before I even needed to ask most of the time.
I was on Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, and the medicine used for trigger just completely left my brain. I'm thinking it was Bravelle? I cannot remember, sorry! It was a very straightforward protocol. They provided me with a calendar so that I could fill it in with the info from each visit - this was super helpful. My egg retrieval was in June 2016 and my transfer was supposed to be in September 2016. We started FET protocol, but my body went crazy with estrogen and my transfer had to be cancelled because my lining was too thick. My lining was a 17 for my first monitoring appointment. Ideally they want it to be around 9-12 by the time you transfer, so mine was WAY too thick. Dr. Dunaway personally came to chat with me and the IVF coordinator, Jackie. He specifically said that he hated to cancel my transfer, but that I have really good embryos and he doesn't want to waste my embryos on not-ideal lining. I was disappointed, but I trusted that he was doing what was best for me and my embryos. I was instructed to stop all meds and call when my cycle started. It didn't start for 4 weeks, so I just went back for them to check me, and they gave me Provera to make my period start. Dr. Dunaway adjusted my meds from estrogen injections & patches to just an oral dose of Estrace twice a day. My lining was looking good, but a little on the thicker side, so they moved my transfer date one day sooner. We transferred 2 embryos and I stayed on PIO injections for 6 weeks, then switched to Endometrium inserts for another 3 weeks (until I was 10 weeks pregnant). I was also still taking Estrace twice a day up until 10 weeks.
They prefer for you to be there between 7-9am. I live 4 hours away and would leave my house around 5am to get there at least by 9am. They were very understanding if I was late and were able to see me immediately. One time I completely slept through my alarms. I got on the road as fast as I could and called when they opened and told them what happened. They said it wasn't a big deal and as long as I was there by 11:30, it wouldn't be a problem. I was there at 10:50 and they called me right to the back. Even with the flooding in Baton Rouge, they didn't close and still saw patients as scheduled.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Mary and Ashley, the IVF Coordinators [at Fert Institute of NO], are amazing. They are always ready to answer my questions and promptly respond when I leave messages. They are both knowledgeable and well informed, but also extremely kind and compassionate. The entire staff has made this process such a positive experience so far and we look forward to working with everyone as we continue on this journey to start our family...The entire staff is wonderful. They are kind and extremely responsive. Not to mention, always helpful.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
With Dr. Sartor, I have always felt like a human - never simply a number. Since the very beginning, my husband and I have felt at ease with Dr. Sartor, and with each step in this process so far, we have felt more and more so. My diagnoses came suddenly and unexpectedly, so it was quite a bit for us to take in at one time. Dr. Sartor has always taken the time listen to our questions/concerns and thoroughly explain each step, procedure, potential outcomes, next steps, etc. She has tailored my protocol specifically for my needs and adjusted as needed depending on my particular response, as well as been a constant source of encouragement during an uncertain time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary and Ashley)
Mary and Ashley, the IVF Coordinators, are amazing. They are always ready to answer my questions and promptly respond when I leave messages. They are both knowledgeable and well informed, but also extremely kind and compassionate. The entire staff has made this process such a positive experience so far and we look forward to working with everyone as we continue on this journey to start our family.
Our experience with Dr. Sartor has been everything we hoped it would be. Nothing can prepare you for infertility. However, once you realize that infertility treatments are necessary, you hope for a doctor that will strive for success and treat you with compassion and understanding along the way. Dr. Sartor has been that and more for us. She is always prepared with the most recent information and takes the time to walk us through it. She is positive and also realistic, so you know exactly what to expect. We are looking forward to beginning IVF treatments with Dr. Sartor and hoping for a successful outcome.
Never be afraid to ask questions or for further explanation. Dr. Sartor considers each and every question/concern you have and answers it thoroughly based on scientific evidence and statistics.
In April of this year, I became a patient of Dr. Sartor's after receiving a diagnosis of PCOS and advanced endometriosis. After careful examination, ultrasound and review of my case, Dr. Sartor came to the same conclusion and developed a protocol for me. On April 20th, Dr. Sartor performed a hysteroscopy, D & C, and laparoscopy to remove 4 large endometriomas. While I was under, she also performed a hysterosalpingogram. I had excellent results from the surgery, as Dr. Sartor was able to remove all signs of endometriosis, while still keeping both ovaries and tubes in place. Now completely healed, I have begun IVF treatment with Dr. Sartor and will start stimulation medications in just a few weeks.
Metairie
[Fertility Institute of NO] Strengths: it's convenient, there are a few docs so you can always change within the group Weaknesses: it doesn't have a warm and welcoming feeling. This is an emotional process and at times ( a lot of times) I just felt like a number and another dollar....[re: nursing staff] Busy and cold. Both times my IUI's failed the next sentence out of their mouth was ok so today is day what of your period and we need to start meds on day x. No I'm sorry or how are you doing. You may see one nurse in clinic and a different one may call you back. No continuity with the nursing staff unless you are starting IVF.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I feel like every patient gets the same treatment and they don't always look at you like an individual. When Amy treatments failed I was never consoled it was ok let's start your meds again.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I felt she was thorough at first but when my first IUI failed she wanted to do the same protocol again. The only reason we changed it up is because I had questions and requested the appointment. Otherwise, we would have repeated the same thing over and I would have never seen her. Also, after a patient spends thousands how do you sit across from them with very little emotion? It just feels cold there at times. I also don't think doctors did deep enough to find the root cause of the issue. When paying cash I shouldn't have to come with lots of questions each time.
Come prepared and have lots of questions and don't be afraid to ask or you will get the same standard protocol as most pastients.
2 failed Femara cycles with timed intercourse and BFN both times. 1st IUI was with Tamoxifen, Follistim, Ganerelix, & 5,000 hcg trigger. IUI was 24 hours post trigger & BFN. 2nd IUI changed slightly because of questions I asked. Tamoxifen, Follistim, Menopur, Ganerelix, Lupron/2,500 hcg trigger. IUI 36 hours after with a BFN. She stated that the reason for pills with injection was there was no evidence to suggest that injections only in an IUI cycle was more successful & it cost more.
Metairie
My appointments [at Fert Institute of NO] always went smoothly and I never had a long wait. I usually went from the waiting room, to the lab, to ultrasound, to see the nurses, and then Dr. Sartor...The entire staff that I worked with including ultrasound techs, nurses, coordinators, and Dr. Sartor were all a pleasure to work with. Both of the IVF nurses, Ashley and Mary, were not only extremely knowledgeable but also kind...Ashley and Mary were always quick to call me back if I called with a question or concern. They methodically explained how to draw up/mix the injectable medication and made sure my husband and I were both confortable with this.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My appointments always went smoothly and I never had a long wait. I usually went from the waiting room, to the lab, to ultrasound, to see the nurses, and then Dr. Sartor.
I felt like a human and not a number for many reasons. First and foremost, all of my questions and concerns were thoroughly listened to and answered. Dr. Sartor always approached my case with understanding, encouragement, and compassion. I felt like Dr. Sartor presented the facts for our particular situation and always knew the “next step” only when we were ready for it. The protocol she used was individualized for me and was fine tuned based on how I was responding to the medications after each appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley and Mary )
The entire staff that I worked with including ultrasound techs, nurses, coordinators, and Dr. Sartor were all a pleasure to work with. Both of the IVF nurses, Ashley and Mary, were not only extremely knowledgeable but also kind. They always greeted me with a smile and small talk before “getting down to business.” Ashley and Mary were always quick to call me back if I called with a question or concern. They methodically explained how to draw up/mix the injectable medication and made sure my husband and I were both confortable with this. I felt like the entire staff that I worked with were with us during our journey through both the ups and downs.
Dr. Sartor went above and beyond to put my husband and I at ease during this very uncertain time. She always took the time to thoroughly explain our protocol including procedure, what to expect, medications, risks, etc. Not only did she answer all of our questions we were always presented with the most recent evidence based information. We felt like she spent as much time with us as we needed and never felt rushed. Being in Dr. Sartor’s care made this difficult time a positive experience. I truly do not feel like we would have had the same outcome with any other doctor. I believe that I would not be holding my 10 week old daughter if it was not for her. We look forward to being in her care when we decide to continue to grow our family.
As always, come prepared with any questions you may have and have an understanding as to what to expect for your first visit.
I had 3 egg retrievals, 5 embryo transfers, 2 endometrial receptivity arrays. -1st egg retrieval resulted in 8 embryos -1st frozen embryo transfer (transferred 2) resulting in singleton pregnancy -Miscarried at 10 weeks- testing showed that it was a result of trisomy 13 -Along with Dr. Sartor my husband and I decided to do genetic screening on the remaining 6 (2 came back as healthy embryos) -2nd frozen embryo transfer, transferred one resulting in negative pregnancy test -2nd egg retrieval resulting in 6 embryos- after PGS testing we were left with 2 -3rd frozen embryo transfer- transferred one- resulting in chemical pregnancy -Dr. Sartor recommended doing the endometrial receptivity array due to the chemical pregnancy and potential endometrial problems that could have arisen due to the difficult D&C I had with 1st pregnancy and miscarriage -1st Endometrial receptivity array (ERA) recommended another day of progesterone support before embryo transfer -We decided to do a 2nd ERA to confirm this -2nd ERA did indeed confirm extra day of progesterone support needed -4th Frozen embryo transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test -3rd Egg retrieval resulting in 11 embryos- after PGS we were left with 7 -5th Frozen embryo transfer (transferred 2 embryos) resulted in positive singleton pregnancy -We now have a healthy 10 week old daughter and 5 embryos remaining.
Metairie
This clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a monthly support group that is wonderful. One of the nurses facilitates it on her free time. The Mandeville location is very personal and small enough to where they recognize you and remember your name but big enough to where you can trust their lab technology and they are up to date on procedures...Some nurses were incredible, others were incredibly insensitive. One called me to inform me (during my 2ww of a treatment month) that "when your period starts, call us because we have a plan for your next month."...
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a monthly support group that is wonderful. One of the nurses facilitates it on her free time. The Mandeville location is very personal and small enough to where they recognize you and remember your name but big enough to where you can trust their lab technology and they are up to date on procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was good at communication. He was sensitive.
Some nurses were incredible, others were incredibly insensitive. One called me to inform me (during my 2ww of a treatment month) that "when your period starts, call us because we have a plan for your next month." I was dumbfounded and asked if they had reason to believe that their previous treatment shouldn't have worked and she said "no." On another occasion, I asked what an AMH was and what my level meant and the nurse told me I would have to go to college to understand it!
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
How was your experience with Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I was very disappointed with him. He told me it looked like I would get pregnant with triplets on my first cycle of Clomid. I spent the 2ww convinced I could get pregnant. When I informed the office that it failed, he wasn't surprised and said because my lining was so thin, it made sense.... He certainly failed to tell me that at the appointment when he reviewed my ultrasound. I didn't even know I had a problem with lining before clomid but my preliminary testing showed thin lining but he chose Clomid (which causes thinner lining) anyway. Then he told me everything looked perfect. I was devastated and angry.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
When test results come in, you have to ask "is anything LESS than PERFECT"... and interrogate them to be sure to understand your situation : ( Even after I learned to ask that question, I wasn't fully informed of my less than perfect test results during a treatment cycle. He was too optimistic when I just needed my doctor to be honest and realistic with me. Family and friends are for optimism, not your doctor.
Describe the protocols Steven Taylor used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
I came in with male factor infertility (corrected by surgery) and stage 1 endometriosis. He put me on Clomid (even though my lining without treatment was thin). My post coitals always came back good, so we never were recommended an IUI. He then put me on Letrozole which didn't give my body much of a reaction. I changed doctors after that. He was a bit too optimistic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Initial consult was $215. Ultrasound around $120. Blood work was around $30 for each hormone level checked. Injection months were $1250 flat rate (before ovulation) for all blood work and ultrasounds. Post coitals were $87.
Mandeville
I love this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans-Baton Rouge] and have nothing negative to say! Expect friendly faces and personal dialogue from everyone involved from the moment you check in to the time you leave. The clinic is state of the art, professional and very inviting.... All of the nurses and coordinators were very quick to call me with lab results and answer all of my questions. They were very thorough and spent as much time with me as I needed
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I love this clinic and have nothing negative to say! Expect friendly faces and personal dialogue from everyone involved from the moment you check in to the time you leave. The clinic is state of the art, professional and very inviting.
Dr. Dunaway and his staff were always personable and friendly! They made me and my husband feel like we were part of their family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Simone, Holly)
All of the nurses and coordinators were very quick to call me with lab results and answer all of my questions. They were very thorough and spent as much time with me as I needed.
Dr. Dunaway was always cheerful and friendly. He spent as much time as we needed during each appointment and I never once felt rushed to leave. He made me feel as though I was his only (and favorite) patient. Dr. Dunaway went above and beyond to answer questions and explain treatment protocol. His confidence helped ease any anxiety I had.
Trust him and don't be afraid to ask questions. He is extremely compassionate while quickly getting to the point. He's not going to waste your time or money.
Dr. Dunaway began with an HSG to ensure my tubes weren't blocked and proceeded with an IUI with injectables due to my history of failed response with Clomid and letrozole. We used Gonal-F and Cetrotide that matured five follicles but the IUI was not successful. We decided to go to IVF with ICSI and after a saline sonogram I began stim protocol using Follistim, Menopur and lupron. I had monitoring appointments almost every day due to medication adjustments before my egg retrieval.
Monitoring appointments for ultrasounds and labs are done in a two hour window first thing in the morning. They provided hours before work so schedules were not inconvenient.
Of the the 8 eggs fertilized, 2 were frozen on day five and 2 more were frozen on day six. We elected to transfer two embryos based on preference and statistics and it resulted in a single pregnancy.
2011 - 2014
I felt like the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was overcrowded, overbooked, and very difficult to communicate. Every phone call required a hold or transfer or message that would be returned hours later. I wished that there could have been an online messaging system....I was allowed to pay as I went for IUI, however the clinic wanted payment in full up front for the IVF (my out of pocket max) and then we settled insurance later
2011 - 2014
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This was the only clinic available to me at the time, before Audubon was in practice. I do like that FINO is in Metairie as opposed to Mid-City. However, I felt like the clinic was overcrowded, overbooked, and very difficult to communicate. Every phone call required a hold or transfer or message that would be returned hours later. I wished that there could have been an online messaging system.
While extremely happy with the results of our treatment, I always felt the goal with Dr Sartor was the quickest alternative to pregnancy. However, at times I would have preferred knowing why we couldn’t get pregnant on our own or what we could have been doing different naturally.
Mary was a much better communicator than Ashley when it came to questions about the treatment course and expectations for the ultrasounds and bloodwork and medications. Ashley was best at scheduling and assisting with the chart.
I appreciated Dr Sartors experience and knowledge of the practice, however I didn’t always feel as if she was sensitive to the hormonal emotions involved - specifically depression. Dr Sartor seemed to be very well versed in the numbers and statistics, however pinning her down to explain something in layman’s terms felt difficult to schedule and sometimes even harder to understand. Not her fault, but I felt my diagnosis didn’t come until after my final failed IUI before moving on to IVF, I’m unsure if that is just an unfortunate part of the process or if that was a product of her method of practice to seek pregnancy over diagnosis.
Listen. Have your questions ready, she may not go out of her way to discuss topics that she might not consider relevant.
My insurance required 6 rounds of IUI before moving to IVF. Dr Sartor would have progressed us to IVF sooner (after 3 IUI). The medications increased with each failed IUI, this was mostly do to follicle response. Each failed IUI cycle the number of follicles and readiness in size improved with the changes in dosage.
I was enrolled in a High Deductible Health Savings Plan, I paid out of pocket up to 3000 depending on the plan year and then all other expenses were covered 100%. I was allowed to pay as I went for IUI, however the clinic wanted payment in full up front for the IVF (my out of pocket max) and then we settled insurance later
We were able to transfer two embryos at our discretion before the laws had changed to only allow one. There wasn’t much discussion or emphasis on her preference as to whether we transferred 1 or 2. I seem to remember transferring two was just the thing to do at the time.
New Orleans
It’s a large clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] with a lot of patients so it can feel a little overwhelming at first to be shuttled from nurse to nurse, but they are all great at their job. If you aren’t seeing a doctor and are just being monitored, the appointments are quick and efficient. They are excellent at returning phone calls with results and/or questions that may arise...The staff is large but they are all very nice and professional.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It’s a large clinic with a lot of patients so it can feel a little overwhelming at first to be shuttled from nurse to nurse, but they are all great at their job. If you aren’t seeing a doctor and are just being monitored, the appointments are quick and efficient. They are excellent at returning phone calls with results and/or questions that may arise.
She is obviously very busy, but we never felt rushed with her and she is very thorough. We felt our treatment plan was well tailored to the specific issues we faced. As our treatment progressed, we appreciated the relationship we shared with Dr. Sartor.
The staff is large but they are all very nice and professional.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Sartor is very thorough and is always willing to answer questions and explain something further when we didn’t understand. I always appreciated her honesty with us and felt like her advice always had our best interests in mind. Our treatment plan was customized to the challenges we faced and was ultimately successful.
Don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have. In our experience, she’s great at educating her patients.
IVF - I believe we paid $18k and that included one transfer and the first year of embryo storage. This didn’t include medication. IUI - About $1000 plus $400 or so for the procedure. I can’t remember if this included the medication or not.
PCOS, None, Unexplained
The nurses [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are knowledgeable about the process...$1385 for IUI and labs...$150 in medication...The parking for the clinic is horrible. You will have a difficult time trying to find somewhere to park. The staff is quick with check ins and taking labs. The privacy aspect is not completely private, you can guess what others are there for during the visit...
PCOS, None, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I felt he took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Charlene)
The nurses are knowledgeable about the process.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI. He took his time to explain to me and my wife how he could help us in the process. Unfortunately, the IUI didn't turn into a pregnancy so we will be doing a follow up appointment to see what our next step will be.
When you first meet him, put all your cards on the table with expectations and concerns with the process.
When I started the process with him in December 2017, it was discovered I had a cyst, in which birth control was prescribed to make it smaller. This process last until the end of February. I was put on Letozole 7.5mg for 5 days , wait for 5 days to do ultrasounds to check follicle size and I took Pregnyl on March 2 and I was inseminated on March 3
$1385 for IUI and labs $270 for co payments for the treatment of cyst $150 in medication
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
This clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.... r Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.
Staff is very pleasant and personable. They seem to be excited for us when we were able to start treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendy (nurse) then Lisa (ivf nurse))
Dr Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable. He is down to earth and talks to you like you are a friend not a patient. He stutters but is not hard to follow what he is saying. It’s more like his mouth can’t keep up with what his brain wants to say. He talks to both partners and explains in detail what treatment he recommends. He takes his time with talking to you and will answer any questions.
Take notes on what he says. He can cover so much information that it’s hard to remember it all sometimes.
We went to Dr. Lu interested in his donor embryo program. He was very happy for us to adopt embryos and work with us. After we ran bloodwork to be matched with donors, we did an shg and then began a fet cycle.
I had to pay for initial consult & testing & then fet cost.
Dr. Lu was very adamant that he would only transfer 1 embryo at a time. He explained that the risks of a multiple pregnancy was much higher than a singleton pregnancy.
Mandeville
Typically short wait times [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Typically short wait times, which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is hugely knowledgeable and sweet. My only issue is that I feel he may have had too many patients to really retain an understanding of each patient. Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit. Thank goodness for charts and record keeping! Overall he is an awesome doctor and we wouldn’t have our beautiful baby girl without him.
Educate yourself on procedures, medications, etc. Research. Dr. Lu is a total pro but sometimes he speaks quickly so it helps if you have a little understanding and can keep up.
We bought a package that allowed us 2 attempts. It was somewhere around 10 thousand. This does not include medications, which are also very costly.
Having two babies at once is hard! Both the pregnancy and afterwards with twins (or more!). It’s safer to hope for a healthy Singleton.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
The whole process [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was a positive one for me despite the reason we had to be there. Some of the nurses could have taken more time to explain things but as a whole they were encouraging and helpful. If also felt like they were truly rooting for you!...On my initial visit I wished that the nurse would have done a better job of breaking down the tests that needed to be run. I felt overwhelming and confused. After that visit, the nurses were great. They called quickly with test results and helped me understand what they meant. They were also fabulous once we got pregnant throughout visits and ultrasounds!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The whole process was a positive one for me despite the reason we had to be there. Some of the nurses could have taken more time to explain things but as a whole they were encouraging and helpful. If also felt like they were truly rooting for you!
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Dunaway was very aggressive with his plan for my treatments. He also did a great job of laying out all the options and talking through possible scenarios. Dr Dunaway was present for every appointment and ultrasound. He clearly set expectations for my next appointment and was honest on what to expect!
Be prepared for complete honesty. He is warm and kind but does not sugar coat anything.
We did not use any treatment to get pregnant. I had high natural killer cells so once we got pregnant we had to undergo testing to see how high my natural killer cells were and then complete three rounds of IVIG treatment to keep my body from fighting off the fetus until my placenta took over.
I paid for most of my initial testing out of pocket. After that, his office did a great job coding my visits so that they were covered.
Baton Rouge
[Fertility Institute of New Orleans is] Clean and accommodating...Sometime long wait times...My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and accommodating Sometime long wait times My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. His nurse is nice but is a bit dry and not overly helpful.
Nice but not overly helpful or caring. Felt more like a number with the nurse staff
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Dunaway was kind and very informative. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation. Unfortunately, 4.5 years of infertility and we are still not pregnant
Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions. If you are doing a iui, have your husband collect the sample at the office and not off premise. The wait to collect my husbands sample was extremely long and I feel it may have cost us a successful cycle
Iui with oral medications. It was our third iui and medications where champagne increased each cycle. All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests
Approximately: Ultrasounds- $200 x 4-5 Blood work- $1,000 Medications- $1,000 IUI- $700 Sperm testing- $400
Anovulation, Male Factor
They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are supportive and caring and have some of the latest advancements and technology right there...Ms. Mary was the best ever!! The nurses are just as invested in your outcome as you are. They are there to celebrate with you and they are there to be a shoulder to cry on if you need one...The IUI itself was about 3,000 not including meds and the IVF was 12,000 for two rounds, not including meds.
Anovulation, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They are supportive and caring and have some of the latest advancements and technology right there.
The doctor and nurses know my case without having to refer to the file. I was always able to ask questions and get answers almost instantly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary McGregor)
Ms. Mary was the best ever!! The nurses are just as invested in your outcome as you are. They are there to celebrate with you and they are there to be a shoulder to cry on if you need one. DO NOT talk to Ashley though, she is the worst nurse there. I just always asked to speak with Mary and she was always prompt in calling me back.
Dr. Sartor was very thorough and explained the process every step of the way. She was kind and was reassuring when we had negative tests. She was almost always positive but not unrealistic in what our expectations should be. I am a mom now because of her, what else is there to say.
Ask questions! Do not hesitate to say if you need somethings explained more thoroughly.
I don't remember the protocol I was on.
I would go for blood testing and ultrasounds on my lunch hour and I was always in and out of the clinic. Saturday is the only day that it is crazy busy and you have to wait.
Because of my age and fertility issues we always did multiple embryo transfer. With that said, Dr. Sartor was always careful to explain the pros and cons and left the ultimate decision up to my husband and I.
2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS
IVF 16,000... PGD 5,000 FROZEN TRANSFER 3500...Hyper-stimulation, PGD test after embryos had been frozen, trouble transferring paperwork...I find the nursing staff [at FINO] to be too busy for the amount of patients they have. They did always return calls that day when i was a cycle patient. But I felt more like a number to them then I did Dr. Sartor
2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Stengths- busy, everything flows easy from blood, to ultrasound to lab etc. weaknesses- too busy, didn't help find the cheapest med med options.
I felt like a human, when i got hyper-stimulated, Dr Sartor gave me her cell number because i was so sick. she went above for me and didn't have to.
I find the nursing staff to be too busy for the amount of patients they have. They did always return calls that day when i was a cycle patient. But I felt more like a number to them then I did Dr. Sartor
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I loved Dr. Sartor. She is a very smart and brilliant. Unfortunately sometimes I thought her work load was too much. At this clinic you deal with the nurses alot more. But when I did have time with her it was amazing. She always had something new she was willing to do to try again. Also this clinic ran lots of blood test every visit, which i thought was good. The problem is I don't have the fiances to keep trying new things. but like with all of invitro it is a gamble.
Have all your questions together for when you meet with her.
hum wow.... Well we used patches, pill, and 2 injectables. I went in every 2/4 days to be monitored. I have very good results with producing 18 eggs. But I was hyper-stimulated. I have to go in before a fresh transfer to drain some fluid .
IVF 16,000... PGD 5,000 FROZEN TRANSFER 3500
She is willing to do what you really want.
2 IUI, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Fertility Institute of NO] is great. They have several locations. They are quick to return calls and fit you in for an appointment. Everyone is professional and polite. They are all very organized. They seem to have very reliable office protocols. And they set expectations with patients very well - you know when to expect return phone calls and emails.... They worked with my insurance and I have paid about $5500 out of pocket so far.
2 IUI, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is great. They have several locations. They are quick to return calls and fit you in for an appointment. Everyone is professional and polite. They are all very organized. They seem to have very reliable office protocols. And they set expectations with patients very well - you know when to expect return phone calls and emails.
She listens, which is hugely important. She spends face to face time assessing the right plan. She is thoughtful. She has high expectations of her staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashely and Mary)
They are on top of things. They run a tight ship.
She is kind and compassionate but straight forward. She has high expectations of the staff. She is meticulous but caring. She is very thoughtful about your plan. She is a clear communicator. You can tell she thrives off of excellence and patient experience.
Be honest with her and ask her anything you want.
I ended up using donor eggs, per her recommendation. So far, I've been on BC pills for 21 days. On day 17 I started Lupron injections 20u daily. Next week I add estrogen patches as we build up to the transfer. And then start progesterone.
They worked with my insurance and I have paid about $5500 out of pocket so far.
She is open to hearing the patients thoughts but keeps patient safety in mind first and foremost.
New Orleans
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself [for Fertility Institute of NO]. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.... We felt that the policy regarding implanting 1 vs 2 embryos was not explained to us at the time we were deciding on the number of eggs to fertilize.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.
Dr. Lu took time to explain things to us. His bedside manner was warm and welcoming. He went as far as calling us on his own time to answer questions, give clarification and address concerns we had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Alleman)
Overall very helpful and caring.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Right from our first meeting I felt that Dr. Lu cared. He did not immediately push ivf on us, which we assumed would happen. With each question or concern Dr. Lu has taken time to explain things to us. He is always very specific and chooses his words carefully. Dr. Lu is very professional and he's also very personable. We've been very satisfied with our choice of Dr. Lu as our dr so far.
Dr. Lu can sometimes talk a little fast and he likes numbers and statistics, so pay close attention!
I can't really describe this, but it did seem as though with each monitoring appointment, Dr. Lu was great with analyzing the situation and adjusting as needed. He seemed very intuitive.
Our ivf with icsi was about $15.
Dr. Lu follows their clinic policy which goes along with the state recs of putting back one embryo under a certain age and two if over. If younger he will do two after failed cycles.
Metairie
$1100 each round of IUI with meds [at Fertility Institute of New Orelans]...Great staff. Friendly and warm. Make appointments ahead of time- be prepared. Didn’t have to wait long. Very efficient and professional. Loved everyone- Ms. Audrey was super sweet and kind. Ms. Angela (who took the blood) was the absolute best!!! She helped me feel calm and cared for...Absolutely loved Holly!!! So sweet and kind. Saw a couple of others at the office and they were all wonderful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Everyone always greeted me by name. Super kind and caring staff. Felt comfortable day 1.
Dr. Dunaway was a lifesaver. He did every test to figure out what was wrong with me- and he was incredibly confident in my treatment. I had never seen a male doctor before, and I instantly felt comfortable with him. His warm demeanor, years of knowledge and expertise, and sense of humor helped us get through the tough times. I would recommend him and his staff without hesitation.
JUST GO.
Frequent blood tests to see my thyroid and prolactin from my tumor. Medicated cycles with trigger shots and IUIs. He gave us the option of IUIs, but we wanted to do them. Got pregnant on the second round.
$1100 each round of IUI with meds
Baton Rouge
The front desk lady [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is extremely nice, the nurses are OK and the good thing is that they will return your calls promptly, you won’t see your doctor that often the nurses do most of the work. When you do see him he is extremely intelligent and has been in the field for a very long time.... I don’t feel like the nursing staff was very friendly or showed a lot of compassion. If anything, I felt uncomfortable as a husband.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk lady is extremely nice, the nurses are OK and the good thing is that they will return your calls promptly, you won’t see your doctor that often the nurses do most of the work. When you do see him he is extremely intelligent and has been in the field for a very long time.
I felt like my wife was treated as a number simply because a lot of the times we got information before the doctor remembered that we were a couple with morphology issues and low ovarian reserve
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
As a patient, I felt that he was extremely intelligent and that there were many options that he wanted to try. As far as showing compassion, I found a lot of the times it was more about money than digging deep into our case.
This doctor has a very good reputation for achieving pregnancies, in my case it was not very good.
We did a few months on Clomid, then we did a few months just are you IUIs and then we did a medicated round all resulting in negatives.
$4000 for medicated cycle with Gonal F and then 500 per IUI
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
You cannot start [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] until the genetic screen is done and it’s not always covered under insurance and it’s quite expensive....They have numerous specialists but the wait time is long. I am never there less than an hour even for an ultrasound or blood work. They were a little unorganized, I went for blood work one day and they stated I needed two tests and the order only said one. ...Over $1,300 for clomid with monitoring and hcg trigger shot...
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They have numerous specialists but the wait time is long. I am never there less than an hour even for an ultrasound or blood work. They were a little unorganized, I went for blood work one day and they stated I needed two tests and the order only said one. My house stand went for blood work and we were there over an hour. You cannot start until the genetic screen is done and it’s not always covered under insurance and it’s quite expensive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He confused me with other patients a lot when he returned or made phone calls.
How was your experience with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is an old school doctor and lets you know percentage wise how possible the options are. He is knowledgeable maybe not on the most recent trends like mucinex,pineapple and aspirin. He was on vacation for a conference to increase his knowledge base.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Speak up for what you want.
Describe the protocols Ron Clisham used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
We started with a small dose of clomid and my eggs did not get big fast enough so we cancelled the follistim but you have to buy it in advance and it is not cheap. We decided to do the hcg trigger shot because my eggs eventually grew bigger. Ultrasounds every 3 days and either sex or iui when the blood work signaled.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Costs for doctor visits, blood work, ultrasounds, drugs. Over $1,300 for clomid with monitoring and hcg trigger shot.
Ron Clisham
New Orleans
There wasn’t one thing I thought could be different in the Mandeville location [of Fertility Institute of New Orleans]. It’s very clean and inviting. The diffuser was always on when you walk in, so you feel a sense of calm. My husband and I were always pleased going there...The nurses are top notch. I had seen just about every one of them in my short time there, and they were all incredible. Very knowledgeable and extremely companionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
There wasn’t one thing I thought could be different in the Mandeville location. It’s very clean and inviting. The diffuser was always on when you walk in, so you feel a sense of calm. My husband and I were always pleased going there.
He was very involved in my care. I always felt like I was his only patient.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is very knowledgeable and real with his patients. He tells you exactly what you need to hear, like it or not. We did two cycles with my OB before starting at the FC, and luckily our first round there worked!!
Don’t wait. If you’re struggling or even think there may be an issue, go see him.
150mg Clomid, Estradiol twice a day and progesterone. Once pregnancy was confirmed, continued progesterone until 2nd trimester.
The cycle was a lump sum that included monitoring. Other testing and all medications are separate.
Mandeville
The staff at The Fertility Institute has always been compassionate to our needs...They are almost like family you see them so much while completing IVF. We drive 90 mins both ways to see them...The Doctor [Dr. Dunaway] wants to see everyone have a baby. He has worked very hard to do that for our family. The week we completed stims he stopped my wife taking one of her medications and we were freaking out a little. If he did not tell us to stop that medication then we would have had OHSS. We are glad to know that he was monitoring us that closely.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
All of the staff personnel is very professional at this location. The staff is very compassionate. They are almost like family you see them so much while completing IVF. We drive 90 mins both ways to see them.
The Doctor wants to see everyone have a baby. He has worked very hard to do that for our family. The week we completed stims he stopped my wife taking one of her medications and we were freaking out a little. If he did not tell us to stop that medication then we would have had OHSS. We are glad to know that he was monitoring us that closely. We recently transferred out first embryo and still waiting to see if we carry the baby to full term.
Don't be afraid to ask question if you don't understand.
The insurance paid most of it.
Baton Rouge
They made us feel very welcome, kind and warmly. They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] helped us with questions we had and explain things we asked... When u walk in the clinic u feel so welcome. The nurses very friendly and make u feel comfortable. They explain what is next and what to look forward to. They listen to you while u talk and answer with good advice.... $500 so far
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
He explain what we will probably have to do. I been trying to get pregnant for 9 years and can’t afford a ivf, and that what he said we probably have to do
They made us feel very welcome, kind and warmly. They helped us with questions we had and explain things we asked
He explain very well what we have to do and what next. He on top with things. He get things in order and on a roll. He gave us some options of what we can do and what to do. I got a lot of people tell me he very good and thrust worthy of how to go with fertility. He sat their and explain what he think wrong.
He explain things very good
$500 so far
Baton Rouge
The clinic [Fert Inst of NO] is wonderful from the moment you walk in. Mrs. Audrey is a wonderful first face to see! They are quick to pull you back to your appointment and you always know exactly what you're in for for each appointment....The nursing staff and coordinators are AWESOME! They know my voice when I call and always deal with my constant questions!...They are very good with explaining what your out of cost will be up front
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is wonderful from the moment you walk in. Mrs. Audrey is a wonderful first face to see! They are quick to pull you back to your appointment and you always know exactly what you're in for for each appointment.
From the moment I walked into the office, my experience felt so personable. I felt like I was exactly where I needed to be.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Simone & Jackie)
My experience as a patient has been very personable. We are seeing dunaway for Invocell and I am completely confident in his work. He was thorough about what we needed to do to get there and how we could get there.
Let him do what he knows how to do and don't stress ;)
We are currently going through Invocell process.
Our insurance covers infertility 90% up until diagnoses. They are very good with explaining what your out of cost will be up front
Baton Rouge
Clean and organized clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans], but always a long ivf wait list...[Monitoring Appointments] Super organized and clean. State of the art facility...Jackie is wonderful. She has been doctor Dunaway's nurse for 30 years. The scheduling is always clear cut and always organized. She is always on top of her calls. Sometimes she sounds "sad" when she calls which freaks me out...He [Dr. Dunaway] performs every procedure and is very informative.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and organized clinic, but always a long ivf wait list
He was enthusiastic yet realistic.
He's a wonderful doctor. Sometimes "too" enthusiastic but always honest. He performs every procedure and is very informative. Only negative is sometimes you feel a little mislead. I would definitely recommend him to a friend
Do your homework ahead of time. Be prepared with questions
We did long lupron protocol with 150 of each follistim and menopur. Also 10 units of lupron about a week prior. My amh is good, but we didn't get a ton of eggs
Super organized and clean. State of the art facility
I have insurance coverage, so only $4000
Generally he is pro 2 embryo transfer
Baton Rouge
[Fertility Institute of NO] Clinic is very nice, with little to no wait times on the day of your scheduled appointment. All staff is friendly and competent in their role....3 egg retrievals, 1 fresh transfer, 2 frozen transfers and all meds, labs, and US were $60,000...Mary was excellent, very caring, compassionate, and understanding. She is always organized and timely....Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and thorough in his visits with you. I never felt like he was rushed, and always felt like he truly cared. Dr. Lu himself will personally call you with some results and to check on you at home.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Lu makes you feel like he really matters to you, he is never in hurry, and always seems willing to explain things and make sure you understand and are comfortable before going forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary )
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Make a list of questions you have for him before your visits. Take notes while at the appointment.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is nice and the other staff members were very friendly. Kind if hard to get in for an appointment because of there popularity but spends a lot of time going over things in consultation. My surgery went well also...I hated the nurse she always had an attitude like I was bothering her I don't know if it was because she was pregnant or because I was gay but I didn't like her vibe and lack of communication and care so I went with another doctor
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is nice and the other staff members were very friendly. Kind if hard to get in for an appointment because of there popularity but spends a lot of time going over things in consultation. My surgery went well also
He was very friendly and he was able to diagnose my problem right away so I had surgery but he didnt explain well what he saw wrong with my tubes just mentioned scarring after my recovery period and when it was time for the actual iui's barely heard or got a response on how to proceed.
He is a good doctor just not a good one for me
Only to inform them when the start of your cycle was so they could schedule the sis
My insurance covered most and I only paid copays and 1,000 toward my out of pocket as the doctor fee before surgery
1 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Patient scheduling [Fert Inst of NO- BR] very friendly....Nurses could be more friendly and sympathetic to patients with questions about processes....Very vague not compassionate or sympathetic...I felt that Dr. Dunaway was the first Dr. to look further than an unexplained diagnosis after 5 years and two prior doctors he found that I had stage 3 endometriosis and removed it, now planning to do IVF due to additional male factor with husband.
1 IUI, IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Patient scheduling very friendly
I felt that Dr. Dunaway was the first Dr. to look further than an unexplained diagnosis after 5 years and two prior doctors he found that I had stage 3 endometriosis and removed it, now planning to do IVF due to additional male factor with husband. I appreciate his thorough exploration of things before more time was wasted!
Very vague not compassionate or sympathetic
He is very personable but specific and to the point. He puts you at ease during procedure. Offers a personal viewpoint. Nurses could be more friendly and sympathetic to patients with questions about processes.
To write down any questions he will look over your questions with you
Laparoscopy to remove stage 3 endo & post op check up IVF consult Repeat semen analysis verified male factor infertility Recommended to do IVF/ICSI Began IVF work up sonogram /blood work /packet Will soon go back
Baton Rouge
Their [Fertility institute of New Orleans] billing department is horrible! You never know what you are paying for and when. I asked for a detailed printout and it took months to get it and it was hard to read and understand once I did receive it. It is hard to use FLEX to pay for treatments because they bill way after the treatment occurred. The dates, amounts, and treatments never match up. Very frustrating! The nurses are all very nice. I never have long waits.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Their billing department is horrible! You never know what you are paying for and when. I asked for a detailed printout and it took months to get it and it was hard to read and understand once I did receive it. It is hard to use FLEX to pay for treatments because they bill way after the treatment occurred. The dates, amounts, and treatments never match up. Very frustrating! The nurses are all very nice. I never have long waits.
The nurse quickly recognized me and knew my name. I did not see Dr. Taylor much but felt in close contact with him through the nurses.
I was successful in becoming pregnant twice. I felt like he really wanted to help us have a baby. That being said, I never really knew what was going on besides day to day instructions. I also do not feel like he was aggressive enough. I would have liked to maximize my treatment and I just don't feel like he pushed hard enough.
Be ready to do your own research and be your own advocate.
Describe Steven Taylor's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
He really pushes eSET
2011 - 2015
The staff [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] shuffles people in and sometimes there is a very long wait even when you have an appointment scheduled. Several occasions I received calls from nurses who didn't even bother to look in my chart for specifics. Most times they could not answer my questions and I always felt very rushed
2011 - 2015
Pick a different clinic
The staff never remembered my name, with the exception of two ultrasound techs. They shuffle people like cattle in and out of the office. Every visit was standard, blood and ultra sound. Even if you didn't need it
The staff shuffles people in and sometimes there is a very long wait even when you have an appointment scheduled. Several occasions I received calls from nurses who didn't even bother to look in my chart for specifics. Most times they could not answer my questions and I always felt very rushed
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
After 4 miscarriages, tests that should have been done were not. They figured we had bad luck. After seeing a different doctor at a different clinic and getting answers I realized I wasted a lot of time and money in this clinic
Don't go here. There is a better, more compassionate clinic in the area.
We spent over $8,000 and got zero answers
2009 - 2015
The staff at the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very polite and professional. They walk you through every step from blood work, ultra sound, meeting with RE, and billing. They are very patient with me. Any question I have they take the time to explain. I can even call the nurses station after my visit with any questions I think of.
2009 - 2015
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Dickey at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
The staff at the clinic is very polite and professional. They walk you through every step from blood work, ultra sound, meeting with RE, and billing. They are very patient with me. Any question I have they take the time to explain. I can even call the nurses station after my visit with any questions I think of.
They were always friendly to me. They knew who I was after the first couple of visits. Which put me at ease during my visits.
How was your experience with Richard Dickey at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Richard Dickey has a very good bedside manor. I feel his main objective is to get me pregnant and not necessarily by the most expensive process. He doesn't automatically jump patients to IVF as course of treatment. He explains test results in a way that is understandable to a laymen. He has rearranged his schedule to be sure he was at the clinic when I was available for my appointment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Dickey at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Be prepared for his sense of humor lol
Richard Dickey
Metairie
He [Dr. Peter Lu] is research driven & positive. He is not a firm believer in alternative therapies, sich as herbs & supplements, but he's also not against trying them. He seemed to understand our desire for having another child & seemed hopeful but also realistic that there's no exact science for treating infertility. His bedside manner is efficient and knowledgeable, backed up by statistics and information, but he did not appear well-versed or particularly supportive of additional alternative resources (accupuncture, diet, growth hormone, etc.) to utilize in addition to the typical injection protocol.
He seemed very research driven, but he also articulated & echoed our reasons for wanting another child after havibg had one easily & naturally earlier.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is research driven & positive. He is not a firm believer in alternative therapies, sich as herbs & supplements, but he's also not against trying them. He seemed to understand our desire for having another child & seemed hopeful but also realistic that there's no exact science for treating infertility. His bedside manner is efficient and knowledgeable, backed up by statistics and information, but he did not appear well-versed or particularly supportive of additional alternative resources (accupuncture, diet, growth hormone, etc.) to utilize in addition to the typical injection protocol.
Ask him for information about why he does not subscribe to alternative supplemental therapies to enhance fertility treatments.
Expensive!
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
The doctor and his staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are the best they will help you in any way possible to get you the family you always wanted they are very caring and loving people...[Nursing Staff] Everyone that works in his office is great...He [Dr. Dunaway] is a very good doctor that explains everything to you and is very determined to figure out what is going on and help fix it... I will never go to another doctor...You will not be sorry you went to him
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The doctor and his staff are the best they will help you in any way possible to get you the family you always wanted they are very caring and loving people I will never go to another doctor I love Dr Dunaway
He is a very good doctor that explains everything to you and is very determined to figure out what is going on and help fix it
Everyone that works in his office is great
He is a great Dr that is very determined to figure out what is going on in your body and to fix it in any way possible I left out being very positive when I went in very negative he also found the source of my bleeding and help to quickly stop it
You will not be sorry you went to him
Baton Rouge
Very easy to schedule appointments [at Fert Inst of NO], but the parking lot filled up fast. I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference. The staff was friendly and quick. I never waited very long in the waiting room before I was seen...[Nursing staff] The were caring and thorough, but at times I felt had a lot of patients and things felt rushed....[treatment costs] around 15,000...Dr. Lu is a good doctor. He explains things scientifically and I felt like he did want us to conceive.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Very easy to schedule appointments, but the parking lot filled up fast. I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference. The staff was friendly and quick. I never waited very long in the waiting room before I was seen.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is a good doctor. He explains things scientifically and I felt like he did want us to conceive. It is important to ask question along the process to make sense of a lot of complicated information. He will answer your questions and make sure you understand the course of action and next steps.
The strategy for me was injection medications. I was not receptive to Clomid.
around 15,000
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
[Fert Inst of NO - Mand clinic is] Very efficient and on top of things. You are seen quickly and taken good care of...
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
He took time and care to answer all our questions and encouraged us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Lu has a great bed side manner very supportive and compassionate. He makes sure you understand what you are getting into and all the steps along the way. A very kind and thoughtful man
Tell him everything
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Was in contact with her [Dr Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleands] or or nurse constantly. She called me personally at times. When we found out that no eggs were produced to received, she sat us down and talked to us in a caring voice and what our options are....I loved how she described the process what it looks like for us and the next steps in going forward.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Was in contact with her or or nurse constantly. She called me personally at times. When we found out that no eggs were produced to received, she sat us down and talked to us in a caring voice and what our options are.
flat fee