Genetic counseling: Offered
4770 S I-10 Service Rd W
Metairie, LA 70001
3525 Prytania St
New Orleans, LA 70115
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Institute of New Orleans to a friend?

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Immunological
The entire staff [at Fertility Institute of NO-Baton Rouge] is pretty great. They have always been very compassionate with me & seems genuinely invested in my success. The sonographers are so great & gentle; any one that's had a rough scan at the fertility office should appreciate this! If I had to pick one weakness for the clinic as a whole, I would say that it's punctuality. What office doesn't have issues with that, though? I think many of the delays are due to Dr. Dunaway &/or his staff spending extra time with patients. They get backed up. I would rather wait extra time for my appointment than be rushed through like I didn't matter, though.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Immunological
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The entire staff is pretty great. They have always been very compassionate with me & seems genuinely invested in my success. The sonographers are so great & gentle; any one that's had a rough scan at the fertility office should appreciate this! If I had to pick one weakness for the clinic as a whole, I would say that it's punctuality. What office doesn't have issues with that, though? I think many of the delays are due to Dr. Dunaway &/or his staff spending extra time with patients. They get backed up. I would rather wait extra time for my appointment than be rushed through like I didn't matter, though.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I have always been treated with respect by Dr. Dunaway and his staff. They consistently listen to my treatment ideas and are always willing to have an open, honest, realistic conversation with me about my treatments & prognosis. Dr. Dunaway does not treat each patient the same, which I have seen in the past; we are all treated as individuals with our own set of obstacles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Jackie knows her patients. She knows that I need a little (ok, a lot) of extra hand holding. She knows that I'm always armed with way too many questions. She is always patient with me, she explains things multiple times, & never makes me feel like a burden. I know that I'm not an easy patient, but she has never made me feel that way.
How was your experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I think that Dr. Dunaway is pretty unique as a fertility doctor. In my experience, it's very common for doctors to look at a diagnosis & have a pretty rigid "plan of attack." Dr. Dunaway has shown extreme flexibility & a willingness to try an unconventional approach to my treatment. I fully believe this will lead to my eventual success. My current treatment plan is absolutely NOT typical for a woman with my set of diagnoses, but it's getting me very close to success. He is incredible warm with his patients & has never once made me feel rushed through an appointment. He patiently answers the million questions I have and, maybe more importantly, when I ask something he doesn't have the answer to, he does the appropriate research and gets an answer. I honestly can't say much about any weaknesses he has as a clinician, he's by and far the best doctor I've ever had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Ask lots of questions! He will take as much time as is needed to make you feel comfortable about what your plan is. If you think of a question after you leave, call them! You will always get an answer.
Describe the protocols Heber Dunaway used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
My case is complicated and our strategies have changed a few times. After analyzing a previous canceled IVF cycle (with another doctor), he decided to try a micro-flare protocol with me. I don't remember all of the specifics of that cycle. The end result was, I got canceled again because my ovaries love to grow cysts. After that cycle, we discussed and agreed to go back to what worked in the past. We switched back to 25 mg of Clomid & IUI, adding in IVIg infusions. The clomid + IUI by itself had previously gotten me 2 viable pregnancies that were lost in 2nd trimester due to an incompetent cervix. That combination has been successful since then, but has ended in chemical pregnancies and an 8 week miscarriage. We're waiting on a cyst to resolve so we can try it again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I do not remember specifics about the costs of any of my procedures.
Describe Heber Dunaway's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Dunaway almost exclusively does SETs. Regardless of his stance, I did not have the option for transfer of multiple embryos due to my loss history.
Baton Rouge

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.

IUI, 3 IVF
Strengths [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans]: experienced, record of success, compassionate, logical approach. Excellent support staff, including ultrasound techs and the blood draw liason from the lab. Everything is in house. Weaknesses: Can't think of any except maybe the front desk staff could be more on the ball, but they are very nice. Sometimes they assume you know things you do not especially if you are a new patient... The Metairie campus is also very conveniently located.
IUI, 3 IVF
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: experienced, record of success, compassionate, logical approach. Excellent support staff, including ultrasound techs and the blood draw liason from the lab. Everything is in house. Weaknesses: Can't think of any except maybe the front desk staff could be more on the ball, but they are very nice. Sometimes they assume you know things you do not especially if you are a new patient. The Metairie campus is also very conveniently located.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is compassionate but also is a man of science and probabilities, which I appreciate. He gives you the reality but also understands the situation you are in. He does not take advantage of your emotions and would not recommend treatment he did not believe in. In this way he treats you like a person or family member he cares about and not just a statistic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary McGregor )
My primary nurse was great. I felt like I could ask her questions and speak to her about things that felt really personal without any judgement. My two nurses both have experience with ivf, so they could also be compassionate. The were very patient when reviewing information and answering my questions. Overall, I love the staff and wouldn't want anyone else to depend on.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very smart and when you first met him, this is all you can think of and wonder if he could be compassionate with you. The answer is ultimately yes, and you realize that his intelligence is all that matters. I appreciated his candor and logical approach to fertility. I do not want someone to treat me just because I want it. I want someone to treat me because they know they can. This is how you feel when under Dr. Lu's care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Do not be put off by his statistical and logical approach when you first met him. It will overwhelm you at first, but you quickly realize that his understanding of how this works is what you can rely on. I trust that he knows best about my capability to conceive.
Describe the protocols Peter Lu used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Strategy for me was to have one embryo for transfer. The first cycle was successful. Egg simulation was increased towards the end of the phase, which kicked into gear my ovaries. For the transfer cycle, I had to cancel right before the first date bc my lining wasn't the number he wanted. It was close but not close enough, so we had to postpone and try again with a new estrogen protocol. I went through the transfer with no issues but lost the gamble. Getting pregnant is a gamble each time with your odds increasing each time. The second stim cycle wasn't changed much except that he increased my meds early as a result of what happened the first time. I did not respond much the second time and had no embryos. I did grow an endometrioma on my right ovary and needed surgery. We regrouped after and went with a new protocol that included lupron, or the lupron flare, for my third simulation. The goal was quality eggs. I ended up with one embryo, but it was genetically abnormal. After this news, Dr. Lu consulted with us and recommended that my AMH be tested again to see if we had some time to take a break and make a decision later as he understood the economical and emotional hardship we were going through. He says that no one else would treat me with the results I have had, but being had I the one genetically normal embryo, he believes I am still capable and told me that if I were his family member, he would encourage me to continue. He wasn't trying to get me to do it again because of the money. Instead he presented us with the option to wait depending on the AMH test and presented less financially burdening options. We are currently resting from the treatments and are confident that we will get pregnant. Dr Lu brought up egg donor options but believes I have time to try with my own before going to that step. So that's what where we are right now. Resting and planning to continue with my own eggs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I only know that the generic testing was around $5k. Also it cost more for ICSE. Total with medicines, we have spent /loaned ~$60k for the treatments we completed in the last year.
Describe Peter Lu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Lu performed a full work up of me before recommending this option and believes that my uterus is not capable for having twins or multiples. He also strongly believes in the eSET method based on his previous experience. I trust his knowledge.
New Orleans

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Mrs. Jackie [nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is a very helpful, caring nurse, who considers the patients feelings. She patiently answers all of my questions completely, so that I could fully understand...The staff is very friendly, they're always very nice and display pleasant attitudes. They all are team players and cheer their patients on. FINO is a very encouraging environment. The nurses are very knowledgeable and have great communication skills, they're also very supportive, and return your call promptly. Honestly, I have no complaints about the clinic, doctor or staff. The clinic, Dr. Dunaway, his nurses and staff are phenomenal!!!
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I felt like a human because Dr. Dunaway is very caring and considerate. He takes time to thoroughly explain and answer all of my questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mrs. Jackie )
Mrs. Jackie is a very helpful, caring nurse, who considers the patients feelings. She patiently answers all of my questions completely, so that I could fully understand.
Dr. Heber Dunaway is very caring, considerate and compassionate to his patients. I can recall prior to my surgery, he said some very encouraging words to my husband and I, and it felt like my father was talking to me. He's an amazing Physician.
Dr. Heber Dunaway is an amazing doctor. Hurry and go before he retires.
For my initial blood work, the levels were low for a specific component, Dr. Dunaway prescribed compound DHEA 3× per day and over the counter Qunol Co Q 10 2x per day and my levels were great.
Initial consultation $215 2-4 day hormones $573 2-4 day ultrasound $170 Infectious disease testing $205 Saline Sonogram $420 Sperm Isolation $265 Infectious disease testing for my husband $ 180 IVF with ICSI will be $15,450
He explained to us the state law requires 40 year old and older can transfer 2 embryos. Under 40 years old, 1 embryo can only be transferred.
Baton Rouge

The nursing staff in the Baton Rouge Office [of the Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is remarkably responsive and communicates well. I typically am in contact with one nurse, Holly, who seems to be in charge of my file, although occasionally I speak to a different nurse...The first 3 IUIs with the simpler protocol were about $1800 each including medications. The more intensive protocol is about $3000 including medications...
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
For the most part the Baton Rouge nursing staff is helpful, organized, and compassionate. They are also very responsive. I find that sometimes they are less compassionate than I would like, and sometimes I feel like a number more than a human. But they clearly communicate everything I need to know in terms of medications, appointments, etc.
Dr Dunaway always makes himself available to me and takes his time answering my questions.
The nursing staff in the Baton Rouge Office is remarkably responsive and communicates well. I typically am in contact with one nurse, Holly, who seems to be in charge of my file, although occasionally I speak to a different nurse.
Dr Dunaway has been practicing reproductive endocrinology for many many years and is very knowledgeable. He’s also pleasant and kind, and I trust him to make the right decisions for us in our treatments. He was thorough in his preliminary testing, and he started us on the least invasive treatments rather than rushing us into things. We did a laparoscopy to correct my tilted uterus, and while in there he discovered unexpected scarring from an old surgery, which he also removed. He has been patient and listened to our concerns along the way. When we told him we wanted to try IUI again after 3 failed rounds, he increased our protocol rather than talking us into IVF - and it worked! That round ended in miscarriage, but it was a very encouraging outcome after 1.5 years of trying. Also, we live in New Orleans, which is over an hour from Baton Rouge, and he is very accommodating in letting us get most things done at the local branch of the Fertility Institute.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, including clarification if you don’t understand something. Dr Dunaway makes an effort to explain things in laymen’s terms, but like all doctors he doesn’t always succeed, and I’ve learned to keep pushing until I understand.
We did 3 IUIs using just Letrozole and a trigger shot followed by progesterone suppositories. All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. The 4th IUI combined Letrozole with Menopur and Ganirelix plus a trigger shot followed by progesterone suppositories, which I responded wel to and get pregnant. I miscarried around 8 weeks due to a blighted ovum. I chose not to do a D&C and my body passed the sac naturally. Dr Dunaway was supportive of my choice.
Baton Rouge

Strengths [of Fertility Inst of NO]: surgical nurses and facilities are amazing. Ive always been comfortable. Weaknesses: the girls that answer the phones that sound like they hate their jobs. I also didn’t like having to walk back and forth from my room to the ultrasound room and then to the surgery room. Not really a big deal, it was just odd.... My nurse was nice and always took care in answering my questions and returning my calls.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: surgical nurses and facilities are amazing. Ive always been comfortable. Weaknesses: the girls that answer the phones that sound like they hate their jobs. I also didn’t like having to walk back and forth from my room to the ultrasound room and then to the surgery room. Not really a big deal, it was just odd.
Dr Dunaway greets me by name, always smiles, takes his time answering my questions and just makes me feel completely comfortable. He is an amazing human.
My nurse was nice and always took care in answering my questions and returning my calls. The staff in the surgical wing is AMAZING, especially the older grey haired woman (I can’t remember her name but it’s something unique). The front desk girls that answer the phone always sound like they hate being at work but they literally just patch you through so I don’t really care about them.
Dr Dunaway is warm and compassionate. He takes his time with us. My patient experience has been as good as can be expected when going through this journey. I always feel comfortable and in great hands. He was just as upset as we were when our first transfer failed. We came up with a game plan and are waiting to start the next transfer.
Don’t be discouraged by the girl at the front desk. They aren’t the greatest, but Dr Dunaway is. And don’t go to the Metairie location. They are all over the place.
I don’t know the name of the protocol. I was on Lupron, follistim and Menopur. I was monitored carefully and adjusted when needed. We had 10 follicles, retrieved 9 eggs and ended up with 2 embryos. (It’s important to know we did Invocell, not IVF. They go for quality over quantity).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Monitoring was done first thing in the morning. I never had to wait very long except for once when the computers at the Metairie location were down and they basically forgot I was there. Just don’t go to that location. The main BR office was much better and much more efficient.
Our state mandates when you can start transferring multiple. If this next FET fails, we will be allowed to transfer multiples.
Baton Rouge

The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was able to get me seen by a doctor very quickly. Everyone is kind and friendly and helpful. Appointments are always available and the staff will accommodate you whenever you need. Judy at the front desk if the most kind and helpful person! ... There have been two occasions where I thought my appointment would include seeing my doctor, when it was actually just for blood work and the doctor wasn't there
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic was able to get me seen by a doctor very quickly. Everyone is kind and friendly and helpful. Appointments are always available and the staff will accommodate you whenever you need. Judy at the front desk if the most kind and helpful person! I have read horror stories online of women who have had to miss cycle opportunities because their clinic was booked or would not open--I have NEVER experienced this with the Fertility Institute of New Orleans, holidays included! There have only been a small amount of times that I would've liked to have had a situation handled better. There have been two occasions where I thought my appointment would include seeing my doctor, when it was actually just for blood work and the doctor wasn't there (the only reason I had concern was because I am an over thinker and constantly have a list of questions to ask at my next appointment-- I was by no means denied access to my doctor in any way, I just was not informed that I was only there for a test, rather than an actual doctor visit). My only other VERY small issue is that one time I was having an ultrasound and I could hear someone in the room next to me (their door was open) being told that their gestational sac looked great, and these were words I never got to here (due to miscarriage). I would prefer that a place that is full of emotional situations to be a bit more sensitive to the patients' feelings, but it was not a huge issue at all. It never compromised the care I received or the kindness that was shown to me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Clisham goes out of his way to make sure all steps in treatment are clear. He communicates clearly and honestly why he may try one treatment over the other, and how these decisions relate to my own case. He is always available for questions or concerns and has never once made me feel like a burden for calling him.
The nurses are incredibly kind at Dr. Clisham's office and are all very helpful. When you call to ask them a question, they never make you feel silly for asking anything. They return calls very quickly and are thorough with their answers. My only slight issue is that not all of them are always up to date on my chart. Sometimes they ask me questions that I think would be known if my chart was read. They are, however, kind, helpful, quick to assist, and compassionate. Kim is the best nurse I've ever had care for me.
How was your experience with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Clisham is incredibly kind, patient, and enthusiastic about his goal of assisting me to get pregnant and, eventually, to stay pregnant. He is careful to prescribe only the treatment that he thinks I need based on my own situation. He is knowledgeable about my case every time I see him. He is clear in explaining why he will choose one medication over another based on me-- not just comparing me to every other patient. He answers me at all hours of the day and night. Infertility is difficult and emotional, and my journey has been made easier with Dr. Clisham helping to guide me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
To never be afraid to ask him any question at all at any time. He is clear and thorough and will never make you feel ashamed to ask any question, no matter how simple you think it may be.
Describe the protocols Ron Clisham used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Dr. Clisham did a complete workup before we eventually got to medicated IUI cycles. He started from the least invasive treatment (monitoring my levels to see when I was ovulating, and directing my husband and I when to have sexual intercourse) and if it did not work, would go to the next treatment method (male factor evaluation, post coital test, IUI with femara only, to IUI with femara and trigger shot). I successfully got pregnant after my first IUI cycle with femara and a trigger shot, and it sadly ended in a miscarriage. Dr. Clisham was then careful about trying to conceive the next cycle, but not so careful to make me wait any longer than I could emotionally handle. As soon as I was able to be cleared (which was about 2 months after my D&C that he changed his schedule to perform), we began to try again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Clisham accepts my health insurance and I had very low copayments with each visit.
Describe Ron Clisham's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
N/A. This did not apply to me.
Metairie

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.

2017 - 2019
I hate that I have to call, leave a message and then wait for a call back. ... They Fertility Institute of NO] are very quick though. Not much waiting in the lobby. ... The clinic doesnt transfer two embryos in patients younger than 38 ... They once called in 4 ganarellix for me and the pharmacy sent and made me pay for 4 ganarellix. I’ve never used 4 ganarellix even in the past year and a half. ... love Mary [nurse], she’s my favorite. She knows my chart, she calls me back as soon as she can. I trust her. She talks to me like a person and not a patient.
2017 - 2019
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I HATE that I can’t email them and that they do not have online charting. I would like to see my records in real time. I hate that I have to call, leave a message and then wait for a call back. They are very quick though. Not much waiting in the lobby.
There are a lot of patients at this clinic. I can see him any time I need to, but I often feel like the nurses are managing my day to day care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
I love Mary, she’s my favorite. She knows my chart, she calls me back as soon as she can. I trust her. She talks to me like a person and not a patient.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is willing to go out of his way to consult with me when I need him. I trust his plan, but this whole process is tedious. He is very numbers oriented. He shows empathy, but not compassion. Sometimes I leave appointments with more questions than I came in with. i often did not know which questions to ask because I was so naive about the whole process. Sometimes I think I only get information because I ask for it, not because he offers it to me.
He is numbers oriented and more straight to the facts. There’s not a lot of hand holding.
IUI with follistim - negative IUI with follistim - negative IUI with follistim - negative IVf with follistim and menopur - egg retrieval- 4eggs, 3 blastocyst, 1 pgs normal Transfer prep w estrogen - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w low dose estrogen - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w tamoxifen - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w Natural cycle - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w low dose follistim - 7.4 lining, negative pregnancy test
I pay over $100 every time I go (sometimes up to 5x/week) on top of an large upfront cost of IVF
I only had one good egg to use, but I would have transferred two if I could. The clinic doesnt transfer two embryos in patients younger than 38

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
The major issue with this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is the financial aspect. NO ONE will go over the cost and options because a quick IVF consult. So you have a lot of hidden cost that will pop up during a IVF cycle and then you will have no one to talk to about the bills. ... Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is on top of her game with her paperwork, returning calls and giving you information. ... I REALLY wish this clinic has someone that you could meet with before IVF to go over all of your benefits and hidden cost.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The major issue with this clinic is the financial aspect. NO ONE will go over the cost and options because a quick IVF consult. So you have a lot of hidden cost that will pop up during a IVF cycle and then you will have no one to talk to about the bills. You will go to checkout and they will tell you that you owe thousands and that is about it. I REALLY wish this clinic has someone that you could meet with before IVF to go over all of your benefits and hidden cost.
Each time I needed a question answered, I would have to only go through his nurse or make a consult, which cost a lot. Even when my cycle was heading downhill, he never called me. Now, when I went to the office for a consult, he was always very informative and up on the latest protocols, which we appreciated. The only real issue I had was lack of connection to the patients. You will never speak to Dr. Dunaway, even via e-mail, unless you make a consult. I have friends at other clinics who have access to their doctor the entire IVF cycle.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is on top of her game with her paperwork, returning calls and giving you information. She will not show you that much compassion and some answers can be "matter-of-fact" but that is how the infertility game goes.
I do feel incredibly comfortable putting my situation in his hands because this doctor really knows his stuff. He will not string you along and feed you lies-he knows the business and he researches to stay on top of things. You will have to push a little to find answers for your issues, because he is there to give you difference ways to try and conceive, not really "fix you". You will not get to see or talk to him often, so be sure to get all your questions out when you have a consult.
I would tell them to always be a advocate for yourself! Ask a million questions and push for what you want to see happen. He knows so much and has been in this business for 35+ years - use him!
We started with IUI's with injectable hormones. We used Gonal F and Menopur and both were failed cycles. Between that, I pushed for a laparoscope to see if I had silent endometriosis because of my low AMH. Turns out, I did have silent stage two endometriosis. I had a chemical the next month and no luck from there. Now, we are in a IVF cycle using the Lupron flare Protocol and my cycle is about to be canceled due to no response.
IVF was $13,000 and IUI's were $500. He will only use one pharmacy that is pretty expensive, but he feels they are the best quality.
Dr. Dunaway will only do frozen single transfers. The laws in Louisiana are difference from every other state, so you are unable to discard any eggs for any reason.
Baton Rouge

Fertility institute [of New Orleans] has been wonderful so far during our process! I have no question as to why my ob/gyn referred us to them. IVF can seem like a scary process when you don’t know much about it. They have made sure that we are well informed on what will happen, what treatment they think will be best for us, and what steps will be next. I think the thing I have liked most about them is I do always know what step comes next. I’m never left guessing when my next appointment with be or when I will next hear from them! This has been so important as you want to feel like someone is taking this as serious as you are.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Fertility institute has been wonderful so far during our process! I have no question as to why my ob/gyn referred us to them. IVF can seem like a scary process when you don’t know much about it. They have made sure that we are well informed on what will happen, what treatment they think will be best for us, and what steps will be next. I think the thing I have liked most about them is I do always know what step comes next. I’m never left guessing when my next appointment with be or when I will next hear from them! This has been so important as you want to feel like someone is taking this as serious as you are.
They have always taken the time to explain everything that goes on during IVF and test results we have had. It is such a huge decision to try IVF and they have made us feel so hopeful and secure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie )
Jackie was the one to call me back about my results for my hormone test. She was very thorough with me about the information and explained any information I wasn’t familiar with.
We have only seen Dr Dunaway once during our consultation (as we haven’t started treatment yet) but we immediately felt like we were in good hands! He was so willing to help us achieve our goal to have children and answered all questions we had. My husband loved that he showed us around their facility and knew all the details it takes to run such a clinic and shared that with us!
Make sure any questions you have about IVF are written down. When getting to the appointment we were so excited to hear what Dr Dunaway was saying and then receiving all the information, we couldn’t remember any of the questions we had. If it is your first time with IVF, like it was for us, it can be a lot of info to absorb at one time.
We have only had our first consultation and tests so I am unfamiliar with the specifics after that.
Our insurance only covers the diagnoses of infertility. They explained to us what that might cover and then gave us a sheet to explain the other cost of IVF.
N/A at this time

2010 - 2019
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is extremely well run. They were always able to get me appointments with the doctor that worked for my schedule. Any time I had to leave a message for the nurse's desk, I received a call back within an hour...The clinic has a boutique feel in that you are treated so gently and kindly by all of the staff. The wait time to see the doctor is extremely minimal - usually 10 to 15 minutes maximum...
2010 - 2019
Investment Banker
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is extremely well run. They were always able to get me appointments with the doctor that worked for my schedule. Any time I had to leave a message for the nurse's desk, I received a call back within an hour.
Dr. Clisham provides top notch care. He is extremely detailed and thorough throughout the entire treatment. He is always up to date on new, innovative practices occurring in the industry and takes a conservative approach to fertility. He only does what is in the patient's best interest. Dr. Clisham always remembered my personal details and would personally call me with all lab results or simply to check in.
The nursing staff is excellent. They are warm and compassionate. They never acted like strangers.
How was your experience with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I always say that patients who go to this clinic receive the royal treatment. The clinic has a boutique feel in that you are treated so gently and kindly by all of the staff. The wait time to see the doctor is extremely minimal - usually 10 to 15 minutes maximum. I saw Dr. Clisham as my primary care provider for 10 years due to my PCOS before trying to get pregnant. I truly believe that it was Dr. Clisham's excellent care that preserved my fertility. Not only did he routinely provide detailed check ups beyond the scope of what a regular OB/GYN does, but he was constantly altering my medications depending on my hormone fluctuations. When the time came to conceive, Dr. Clisham provided me with thorough guidance and set realistic expectations. I am constantly referring friends and family to Clisham for all of their fertility needs. He is smart, knowledgeable, well-studied, and does what is best for his patients. I truly couldn't recommend Dr. Clisham enough. I am now 24 weeks pregnant and have him to thank!
Go to Dr. Clisham and see him regularly. He WILL help you to conceive.
I paid for anything not covered by my insurance. I do not remember exact costs.
Metairie
I have never waited very long in the waiting room [at Fertility Institute of NO -Metairie]. I feel like they are organized and helpful. My only compliant is maybe the billing because my insurance covers infertility some times I see things that were billed that I am not sure about and its not easy to talk to the billing dept at this clinic. But they are always corrected after speaking to someone
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I have never waited very long in the waiting room. I feel like they are organized and helpful. My only compliant is maybe the billing because my insurance covers infertility some times I see things that were billed that I am not sure about and its not easy to talk to the billing dept at this clinic. But they are always corrected after speaking to someone
I feel like Dr Clishman really cares, he always been kind and seemed concerned and he has always remembered my name
They always return calls, are very knowledgeable and answer all of my questions
How was your experience with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I feel my experience as a patient has been great! I have been treated well! Dr Clishman calls me personally to discuss results and treatment options and I see him at most of my appointments. He is very involved!
Don't be scared to ask a lot of questions even if you think it is a stupid question and do a lot of research on your own, that's with any doctor really. I feel Dr Clishman is very knowledgeable but he talks in dr terms and it is a lot of information to take in at one time so take notes and keep a fertility journal
Same day after the first initial consultation I did an exam and blood work and my husband did a semen analysis. I scheduled an HSG. after the HSG came back clear, we did more blood work, progesterone testing, and mucus testing, all test came back good so we decided to keep trying on our own for a few months then after no results Dr Clishman asked us to try a medicated IUI. I went in for ultrasounds and bloodwork every other day and the IUI was on day 14 when I usually ovulate on day 12 so that was my only real concern. I had 4 good follicles so we were hopeful but no pregnancy. We waited a few months and then did a second IUI and this time it was done on day 12 but only 1 follicle and no pregnancy. At this point Dr Clishman thinks it is age related and asked if we wanted to try another IUI and I said no we would like to start the IVF process and he agreed so that is our next step. success rates with IUI are so low that it just does not make sense to me to continue trying them especially with my age being a factor. Dr Clishman has always made us feel comfortable and has been open to whatever we wanted to try
My insurance covers 80% . I have had very little out of pocket expense
We have not got that far yet

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The Metairie office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is nice and easy to find. ... I do not remember all of the exact totals but the office will provide you with a complete list of expected fees before procedures. ... The female phlebotomist is a little rough but it is what it is. When I first called I was told I could go between the Metairie office and Mandeville office but later found out that you need to stay where you start so be aware of that. Everyone I have encountered has been very nice and knowledgeable.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The Metairie office is nice and easy to find. The female phlebotomist is a little rough but it is what it is. When I first called I was told I could go between the Metairie office and Mandeville office but later found out that you need to stay where you start so be aware of that. Everyone I have encountered has been very nice and knowledgeable.
Dr. Lu is very compassionate and personable. He really listens to me and takes time out of his day to answer my questions. I am very happy with his “bedside manner”.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Cherie and Kim are a great team. I have a lot of questions and they have been very patient and compassionate with my situation.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very kind and caring. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. He takes time to answer my questions and really explains things in a way I can understand. I love that he is passionate about his work and truly does the right thing for my specific problems.
When visiting Dr. Lu have questions ready and make sure you are fully aware of the next steps for your procedure.
Dr. Lu started our first cycle with monitored clomid and then made decisions on further treatment from there. Through and ultrasound, they discovered I had polyps and recommended removal before proceeding. The treatment is subject to change with your situation. Currently scheduled for surgery to removed uterine fibroids/ polyps and will regroup.

Anovulation, Unexplained
I do not like that the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] refuses to transfer more than one embryo if you are under the age of 38. NOT FAIR ... Weaknesses - can be difficult to reach as you have to leave a message and wait for a callback, billing people are all about getting the money (even if you just miscarried), lack of compassion ... Strengths - organized, efficient, quick appts (most of the time)
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths - organized, efficient, quick appts (most of the time), Dr. Lu's knowledge and professionalism Weaknesses - can be difficult to reach as you have to leave a message and wait for a callback, billing people are all about getting the money (even if you just miscarried), lack of compassion
All my doctor talks about is statistics and numbers. At first, it got me excited that he's so good but when things started getting emotional or if we came across a rough patch, our doctor didn't offer much sympathy. And if he did, it didn't seem genuine. But he is good at what he does.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Mary)
I love the ultrasound techs at the office. Always made me feel comfortable. My IVF nurse is a little difficult to get in contact with but when we do speak, she's easy to talk to.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very professional and knowledgeable of the profession and process. I felt safe and confident with him. I just wished he was a little more sympathetic or emotional with the patient. Aside from that, he's a great doctor.
Be completely devoted and ready to give it your all. Dr. Lu is like a perfectionist and his treatment feels a little aggressive but I have conceived a baby on my first IVF. He's good.
He knew the right about of meds I should take so I wouldn't overstimulate. he knew how to monitor to the right thickness of the uterine lining. And although it costs more, he recommends ICSI as it has higher chances of embryos.
The clinic allowed me to select the time that worked best for me but the problem was the number of appts and how it conflicted with work. Most of the time the appts were in and out but if I had to see the nurse after an ultrasound, the wait and appt was longer.
$13500 for IVF $1950 for ICSI $770 for embryo storage plus cost of consultation, blood test, semen analysis and other initial appts before the IVF process began
I think it should be the patients choice to transfer a single embryo vs. multiple as we are paying for it and going through so much. I do not like that the clinic refuses to transfer more than one embryo if you are under the age of 38. NOT FAIR
Metairie

it [Fert Inst of NO] still uses paper charts and has no online portal so you have to ask to get your actual numbers for all the routine blood work. My biggest complaint though is that they have no designated billing department designed to talk to patients during their visits ... it is impossible to get an idea of what anything costs. ... I interact primarily with Holly [nurse] and have always found her to be knowledgeable and available
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is nice and well organized but as other reviewers have mentioned, it still uses paper charts and has no online portal so you have to ask to get your actual numbers for all the routine blood work. My biggest complaint though is that they have no designated billing department designed to talk to patients during their visits, so aside from a packet with the IVF costs we were given, it is impossible to get an idea of what anything costs. And even with the packet, that does not put it into the context of your insurance. Our previous RE would not let you leave the office without a trip to the patient billing coordinator and so you never had any surprise costs. The idea is brilliant and shows so much respect for patients. We are fortunate to have good fertility coverage from my employer but I still want to know what everything costs.
While the nurses (who I interactive the most) are very attentive and my primary nurse definitely knows who I am, there is no doubt that this clinic is pumping woman and couples through with what feels like pretty regimented steps - medicated cycles, IUI, IVF. I feel like you are sorted into a box and if that box doesn't work, you get moved to the next one with little reflection on whether this is really the right box for you. Part of this may come from my own insecurities regarding making the right decisions for my family, but I still feel like a human number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
This practice would not exist without the nursing staff! I interact primarily with Holly and have always found her to be knowledgeable and available when I inevitably forget to to ask something and have to call her back. She is very professional but has expressed genuine support for my husband and I. I have also seen Simone on one occasion and she also took the time to answer all of my questions and gave me as much time as I needed. I have never had an unpleasant interaction with the nurses here.
Just a bit of background, Dr. Dunaway is our second RE and we came to him after we moved to the area. We initially sought treatment after two back to back miscarriages. I will readily admit I would prefer my RE to be a woman but due to location, insurance and success rates, he seemed like a decent choice. I find him to be pretty frank but can sometimes seem impatient when explaining things - uses acronyms when full words would be more appropriate, rushes through things. When filling out my paperwork, I put my occupation was a biologist (but I mainly deal with invertebrates and my husband is a professor) so I am not sure if us having a science background influences the way he talks to us. We have met with him 3 times now and I admit that each time gets better and the last time, prior to our first IUI, he did take the time to answer every concern. He has diagnosed me with high natural killer (NK) cells but having done my own research am not fully convinced this a true cause of recurrent miscarriage. He was definitely willing to engage me in a conversation about my concerns, acknowledges that the treatment for high NK cells is experimental and his evidence is largely anecdotal - but he believes it works. I do have to mention, prior to tipping me back in the chair right before he performed my first IUI (only so far), he did ask if I was "ready for my ride?" I found this extremely inappropriate (and see my original comment about preferring a female RE) but what are you going to say to someone who is holding a syringe of your husbands sperm? Do I think he will get us pregnant? Yes. Would I have him over for dinner? Nope.
Brace yourself...and do your homework.
We came to Dr. Dunaway on letrozole + timed intercourse cycle 3 of 4 that our previous RE had started us on after 2 miscarriages in 3 cycles. That month in addition to the 5mg for 7 days of letrozole we added 4mg/day of Estradiol starting day 12, an 10,000 iu Novarel shot on day 13 after labs and ultrasound looked good and 200 mg/day of Estrase. No pregnancy. The next cycle was anovulatory and I was told I did not respond to the letrozole. I do not have any known issues with ovulation and I really wanted to discuss that it may have been the estrogen, HCG or progesterone that that contributed to the off cycle, but no one was particularly receptive. After weighing our options with Dr. Dunaway, we decided to to try 1-2 IUI cycles before moving on to IVF. My day 3 US did show that that I had a 12mm follicle that they predicted was a cyst but they decided to move forward anyways. We did with 150 iu of Gonal F on days 5-7 and at my day 8 US, I had one follicle at 22mm. My blood work suggested this was not an overstimulated follicle and so I triggered that night with 5,000 iu of Novarel and the IUI was scheduled for the next day, cycle day 9. We are currently 7 days past trigger and 6 days past IUI.
Every time I go to the office, I have a copay of $23.90 - $30 per visit and every few visits I have to pay for 2-3 visits (I would prefer to pay each visit). For prescriptions, I pay $10 for 60 pills of Estradiol, and the first cycle I paid $120 total for 24 100mg progesterone suppositories and 10,000 iu of Novarel but the second cycle it was only $60 for both. I paid $35 each for the Gonal F and Centrotide (which I did not end up using). They have yet to process my IUI claim. If we are to get pregnant from the IUI (or IVF in the future) the treatment for the high NK cells is $2500 per bag of immunoglobin which we have been told by Dr. Dunaway insurance will not cover. He recommends 3 bags.
My understanding is the law (not sure if this is federal or Louisiana state) now states that you can only transfer 2 embryos if you are 38 or over and forgo genetic testing (PGS). Prior to this I believe he was pro multiple transfer.
Baton Rouge

They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are QUICK. So quick. It amazes me how short the wait is throughout the visit. The staff makes you feel like you are the first person they’ve seen with infertility meaning they sympathize with your story. They are confident and caring.... I can’t speak highly enough of his staff. The ultrasound tech taught me more about PCOS than my OBGYN!... IUI process will be around $1700. HCG was $227 but I think insurance covered it. That’s it so far other than copays (first visit was $120) and medication (no more than $10).
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They are QUICK. So quick. It amazes me how short the wait is throughout the visit. The staff makes you feel like you are the first person they’ve seen with infertility meaning they sympathize with your story. They are confident and caring.
I felt like Dr Dunaway could have sat there with me for hours YET he didn’t overwhelm me with information nor did he discuss irrelevant information. Also, his staff is unbelievable. The nurse that checked me in told me “just know you have a special place in my heart and I’m praying for you.” She May say this to everyone but I needed to hear it!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly )
Only reason I rated a 9 was because I’m still pretty new in this process. So far I am very happy. One of my favorite moments with Dr Dunaway was after my HCG. There I am, sitting up on the table still in the hospital gown, listening to what he has to say and he just gives a quick rub on my foot and pats my leg reassuring me that everything is going to be ok. Like, “Hang in there. We are with you.”
Be prepared with your questions.
I’m very early on in treatment but I loved that Dr Dunaway wanted to use Letrozole rather than Chlomid (what my OB suggested) because he knows Letrozole is better for PCOS. I also liked that he suggested an HSG before IUI which I had never even thought of but it makes so much sense!

Anovulation, Other, Unexplained
[Fert Inst of NO] There is an open 1.5 hour period for labs and cycle related ultrasounds. The wait can take minutes or hours.. Ms. Audrey at reception and Nurse Cindy are exceptionally kind people...All staff are truly wonderful...The only (minor) issue I had was one nurse (who I loved) assuming Dr.Dunaway would do one thing when in fact he would do another. In some cases, before I heard Dr. Dunaway’s actual plan, this caused me unnecessary anxiety.
Anovulation, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
There is an open 1.5 hour period for labs and cycle related ultrasounds. The wait can take minutes or hours depending on who else shows up on that day. It could be difficult to balance this with your job. It bears asking Dr.Dunaway things you may have asked the nurses- in one instance we learned I was taking a medication unnecessarily. Ms. Audrey at reception and Nurse Cindy are exceptionally kind people who keep the faith for their patients despite bearing witness to their pain. All staff are truly wonderful.
Dr. Dunaway is so warm and personable. He had a great sense of humor and was candid about some of his own vulnerabilities. My case was frustrating and his joy when we succeeded was evident, as was his pain when we did not succeed. His staff is warm and wonderful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie and Holly (for different procedures).)
I loved all the nurses especially Jackie and Holly who I worked closely with.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
My only hesitation about referring people to Dr.Dunaway is that he didn’t offer ERA procedures as an exploration into recurrent implantation failure. After several unexplained failed transfers I wanted to turn over every stone, though I also believe Dr. Dunaway is truly committed to saving patients money and this may play a role in the rationale for this decision. I still strongly recommend him. I think he is brilliant, ethical, and frankly fun to be around. His sympathy with our unexplained failures was evident. He was serious about helping us achieve our goal. He took my input seriously and supported my return to iui which finally led to success.
Ask many questions! He will take the time to answer. He seems to appreciate you playing an active role in your care and won’t fault you for being cautious. His opinion will sometimes differ from what his staff will assume it will be, so be vigilant about that.
We were looking to have one more child (after one successful natural pregnancy). He started ivf with medium stimulation to increase our chances of enough viable embryos to create a pregnancy but without many if any leftover embryos. We did follistim and menopur both times. The first cycle he increased my dose to 150 menopur from 75 and kept it at 150 for the second. We stayed with 225 follistim both times. Prior to ivf we did clomid and letrozole iuis. 1 of each drug resulted in chemical pregnancies while another of the clomid iuis was a negative. Our first ivf resulted in 1 high grade PGS normal embryo and our second resulted in 2. All transfers failed. The first two were a standard FET estrogen and PIO transfer protocol. My lining grew thinner by transfer day so for our third we used Gonal-f instead of the standard protocol and my lining cooperated but the transfer failed. We did iui with letrozole and menopur because I had menopur to get rid of and it failed. Our next step was iui with Gonal-f (150 units) and pregnyl trigger and I’m now 6 months with a healthy single baby.
Pleasant waiting area. Great lab and ultrasound staff. My only qualm is the variable wait.
It’s all a blur but I believe we spent about $30 thousand total for 5 iuis, 2 ivfs and 3 transfers.
Dr. Dunaway seemed to favor multiple transfer on the cycle when we had the chance but we chose eSET, primarily because I didn’t want to risk 2 embryos when we had an unexplained failed transfer in our history but also because one of us passionately didn’t want twins.

Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The FINO clinic in Baton Rouge is fairly small but only one doctor is practicing out of this location. My only real complaint is that before I scheduled our first consultation I had called to make sure it would be coded as a consultation because that is the only way my insurance would pay for the visit and they assured me it would, when we went to check out they had coded it as "infertility" which my insurance would not cover and I was required to full pay for that visit on the spot which I wasn't really prepared for. We have also gotten bills in my husbands name that were for me which can be confusing. Dr. Dunaway and his staff are really wonderful, I would just make sure you understand all the financial aspects of your visits.
Dr. Dunaway is wonderful, he truly cares about you as a patient and will spend as much time as you need answering any of your questions.
Overall the nursing staff has been great, they are compassionate and you can tell they really care about each patient and understand how sensitive and emotional this process can be. Every time I have called with a question or concern I get a call back very quickly.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
We have only met with Dr. Dunaway a few times but every time I have been more than satisfied with our experience. He takes the time to answer your questions, thoroughly explains everything, and treats you as an individual. I feel 100% confident in continuing our treatment with Dr. Dunaway!
I would make a list of all questions you may have, no matter how small you think they are. Dr. Dunaway will take the time to sit with you and go over your entire list.
We are still early on in our treatment and plan but Dr. Dunaway did suggest that we use IVF w/ ICSI due to our severe male factor. He also suggested that we see a Urologist that specialized in male infertility before we begin and we have been doing that. I loved that he didn't just have us jump right into treatment.
We haven't fully began treatment yet but when we asked how much IVF w/ ICSI would cost we were told roughly 15k plus medication costs. OUr full pay cost for just a consultation was somewhere around $250 (there was an issue with how this visit was coded so insurance didn't cover)
Dr. Dunaway did educate us on single embryo transfer and explained not only the benefits but how the government in our state has set restrictions on how many you can transfer based on your age.
Baton Rouge

Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The sooner you start the sooner you start getting answers. The receptionist is amazing, the clinic would not be the same without her. The nurse Cindy always gives so much detail, wish I could have seen her more. Dr Dunaway is exceptional.
Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly. Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles, I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Dunaway has compassion for his patients. I’ve never felt rushed in a consult with him. He thoroughly explains procedures. He has years of experience. You are able to communicate with him through personal email and he promptly answers ANY questions the best he can. I would recommend Dr Dunaway.
Do you research first to know what questions to ask. You are your biggest advocate.
He always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line.
Wish I would have got a price sheet of consult and standard procedure cost.
Baton Rouge

The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is quiet, clean, discrete and professional. Infertility can be a scary and even embarrassing issue to deal with but I never felt weird in there. For the most part, they are on time. They have a TV to watch which is nice, you watch HGTV while you wait. They have water, coffee, and comfortable seats. I feel very peaceful in there. Its not too large so you don't get lost.... After getting some bad news about my follicle count one cycle, I started crying at the checkout station. The woman working the station was so sweet and caring and even got me some water.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is quiet, clean, discrete and professional. Infertility can be a scary and even embarrassing issue to deal with but I never felt weird in there. For the most part, they are on time. They have a TV to watch which is nice, you watch HGTV while you wait. They have water, coffee, and comfortable seats. I feel very peaceful in there. Its not too large so you don't get lost.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I always felt important. Dr. Sartor answered all my questions patiently and she was always very gentle during the IUI procedures. Also, the staff are amazing. After getting some bad news about my follicle count one cycle, I started crying at the checkout station. The woman working the station was so sweet and caring and even got me some water. I never feel rushed at the office and someone will always call me back if I have a question.
The nursing staff are phenomenal. I've worked with three of Dr. Sartor's nurses. They are all patient, kind, compassionate and knowledgeable. They don't rush you and are there to listen even if you just want to talk things through. They always call me back if I have any questions.
How was your experience with Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
On my first visit with Dr. Sartor, I met with her for over an hour. She explained everything very carefully with me and made sure I understood all the costs and risks. She is very direct but sincere. I never felt as though she had given me false hope or made it seem impossible. During IUIs, she is very gentle and talks her way through it so there are no surprises. My only suggestion is that I wish I could see her more, instead of a nurse, on visits when they are adjusting the procedures.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
If she doesn't call you back, her nurse definitely will before the end of the day. Don't worry if they don't get back to you within the hour.
Describe the protocols Sissy Sartor used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
My first IUI cycle we did 10 days of oral hormones, and 3 injections of Follistem. I had three good follicles, but a negative pregnancy test. My second IUI cycle, we did 2 weeks of birth control, then 5 days of oral hormones, and 3 injections of Follistem. We also followed up with progesterone after the IUI. I had one good follicle, but a negative pregnancy test. We skipped the following month because I had a very large cyst on one of my ovaries. My last IUI cycle we did 8 days if Follistem, I had three good follicles and the best sperm count we've ever had, but still, a negative pregnancy test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
An IUI cycle averaged $2500-$3000 depending on the amount of injectable medication.
Describe Sissy Sartor's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Metairie

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sissy Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.

Office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.... Jackie was great. She often talks fast and I remember thinking, I’m glad I’m a medical professional because otherwise I would be totally lost. She’s honest about chances but does it in a nice way. Always returns your phone calls.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Office is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.
Dr Dunaway would take the time to answer questions. He was compassionate but also honest. Even if I was there for monitoring and needed to ask him something he would be available and happy to help.
Dr dunaway is very personable. Laid back and easy to talk to. Will answer questions honestly, even if it is tough to hear. Delivered bad news in a compassionate way. Thinks out loud in front of you, so you know he’s doing his best to come up with a solution.
He is very laid back but very serious about getting you the results you want.
Started with injectable IUI with no success. Moved on to ivf, stimulation did not go as planned and we found out I am a poor responder and converted to IUI. Attempted ivf with different protocol and retrieved 2 mature eggs. 1 fertilized and the other did not. Fertilized egg grew perfectly to day 3 then arrested. We were left with no embryos to attempt transfer.
Monitoring is from 7:30-9:00 on a first come first serve basis. Some days you got lucky and got in and out quick. Other days you may be there for a few hours.
Approx $20,000

2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen.... Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used.... It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well.... Although a good number of people moved in and out, I felt the monitoring appointments were handled well and went fairly quickly.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used. Bedside manner can be lacking sometimes with support staff. It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well. Mine were mostly only verbally told to me.
The staff is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen. They do not rush you out, and Dr. Dunaway will always listen to your concerns.
My nurse is helpful and kind, but she is not warm. She can be a bit blunt and/or desmissive at times as well. Sometimes the nurses seem a bit disorganized.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options. He also listened to all of my questions even if he did not feel they were relavent to my situation or treatment. He was also available by cell phone and email. I feel he goes above and beyond.
Ditch the huge paper charts and start using electronic medical records. This would save the nurse’s time when going over things like medications. They would only need to click that things were the same instead of writing things out every time. Also, this would allow for lab results to be easily viewed and compared at all times.
Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great. However, they were all chromosomally abnormal, so we did not move on to transfer.
I do not remember specific costs. However, after our failed cycle, Dr. Dunaway did give us a price break for our donor egg FET. Every little bit helps being that we are totally self-pay.
My doctor is open with patients. He feels this is their decision (within reason). However, now with the new guidelines his clinic is most likely exclusively doing single transfers except for in the case of older women.
Baton Rouge

The only complaint I have ever had is that they [Fert Inst of NO - BR] don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. ...I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures....For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The only complaint I have ever had is that they don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. At my last RE office, you had an appointment for everything, and I don't think I ever waited longer than 10 minutes, and it was usually less than that! For procedures the wait wasn't bad, but it could be awhile for the monitoring appointments. That being said... they make up for this one thing in every other area!
They genuinely care about you, it is very noticeable. Since fall of 2016 when I became a patient there, I have never felt rushed or that the nurse/doctor was annoyed with me in any way. My doctor was waiting when I was wheeled out after my egg retrieval & gave me a high-five. Another time, I started crying when I realized I didn't owe as much money as I thought I did & the receptionist came around the desk & hugged me. And I can hear the sadness in my nurse's voice when she calls with bad news. They seem to get it & they rejoice with you when you get good news, and they are sad with you when you don't. I definitely feel like they want this for me, too.
I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures. She's so nice, and I can hear the sadness or excitement in her voice when she calls with bad or good news. I love the entire nursing staff, though. I have worked with Holly, Simone & Cindy, and they've all been so sweet. I worked with Jackie & Simone the most. Angela is the one who draws your blood, and I always laughed & talked with her. Love the staff!
He is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Even if it seems like he is finished with your consult, he will absolutely stop & answer any questions that you have.
It did run smoothly as far as you being called to the back, getting your labs done, getting your ultrasound done, and checking out - however, the wait before you were called to the back could be a bit long.
For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950. This didn't include the consult which was around $210. It also didn't include some tests/labs that add up to be about $1200 (although you don't have to do these if they've been done already at a previous clinic within the last year). And it doesn't include meds which can range from $5-$7k (or more if you do not respond to the meds). Plus we chose to do ICSI which was another $1200.
For me, he always transferred 2 at a time, that was his stance & his protocol for a long time unless the individual situation caused him to only transfer one. However, now he can only transfer one due to Louisiana regulations, unless you are over a certain age (I think 38).

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
During my first IVF cycle [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I was ordered to take a drug once. They didn't tell me how to take it or what time. I ended up calling the Dr on call to find out. During my 2nd IVF, they changed protocol on checking the embryos. I waited to find out how they were doing and never got a call back. I didn't find out until 2 days later that they had changed this protocol. But I was told then and it made sense. I just wish they had told me before.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths-they are knowledgeable and have many years of experience. They are a little conservative when it comes to treatments, which is for the patient's health, but it can be annoying. Weaknesses-they need to be upfront with costs before you start treatment. Nurses need to not smoke or spray with something before coming in the rooms.
During medicated cycles, you were treated like a number. Which I complained about. Suddenly it got better. Doing IVF, you were a human they were very interested in.
They are nice, and willing to talk to you. One of them smokes too much, and comes in the room smelling of smoke. Also, she is a little blunt. They are caring, and called to check on me when I miscarried. They always call back very quickly.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He has to rely on his notes when he saw you. He shudders, but he is ok to understand. Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind.
Have questions written down before you go. He's happy to answer them, but you have to be prepared to ask them.
Clomid, 3 months, 1 pos pregnancy, miscarried, 1 month metronome, chemical pregnancy, 1st round of IVF, 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized, fresh transfer and frozen. 1 neg, 1 chemical. 2nd IVF round, 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, 3 made if to freeze, 1 neg, 1 pos, ended in miscarriage, about to transfer embryo 3.
$800 per Clomid cycle $200 for post cloitle exam $12,000 for first IVF cycle $7,000 for 2nd IVF cycle
I had to do single transfer because of my uteral deformity.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
The clinic is very clean, comfortable and easily accessible. The staff is very friendly and courteous. Everyone at the Fertility Institute was always supportive through each step in our fertility journey. ... The nursing staff was always delightful and helpful with any questions about anything from financial concerns to medication administration. ... [cost of treatment] Comparable to other fertility clinics for similar treatments.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr Clisham was very warm and courteous each visit. He personally returned all my calls and answered all our questions very openly and honestly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
How was your experience with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Clisham was our 3rd fertility doctor. He took his time getting a thorough background of our previous procedures and fertility history. After our initial consultation I felt very confident he could help us achieve what we desired. He was always very upfront with his expectations and made sure we thoroughly understood the next step in the process. His demeanor was very warm and inviting. I felt very at ease under his care during a what can be a potentially stressful treatment.
Trust in his guidance and expertise. Overcoming fertility challenges can be an uphill battle. Be open and honest about your expectations and always listen to all the advice given to you.
We used donor eggs in our ivf cycle with Dr Clisham because I have poor quality egg production. He thoroughly tested our donor to make sure we would have the best possible chance of achieving pregnancy using donor eggs. Our donor was put on injectable medications and monitored very closely with ultrasound and bloodwork screenings. Her retrieval and recovery went very smooth. We were given regular updates on the progress of our embryos after fertilization. I was prepped for embryo transfer with ultrasound and bloodwork monitoring and oral and injectable medications. We were guided by Dr Clisham in our selection of which embryo would be best to transfer. On transfer day we were treated with the utmost respect and care and even a little humor to ease things. Dr Clisham has always been very attentive to our concerns. We owe all our gratitude and success in this pregnancy to his advice and expertise.
Comparable to other fertility clinics for similar treatments.
Dr Clisham assured us that with using donor eggs our chances of success would be much higher with a single embryo transfer and that a multiple embryo transfer would not be necessary.
Metairie

My clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very patient oriented and you do not feel like just a number when you are there. ... During procedures the entire team made me feel at ease and relaxed. ... The only thing I could suggest to better my experience is to have a patient portal where I could see results or send messages to the staff ... I could come in [for monitoring] when it was best for me and I could go right into work afterwards. It was great. ...
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My clinic is very patient oriented and you do not feel like just a number when you are there. The only thing I could suggest to better my experience is to have a patient portal where I could see results or send messages to the staff.
Dr. Dunaway and his team are very warm and answer any questions I may have and always promptly return any calls. During procedures the entire team made me feel at ease and relaxed.
Jackie is quick to respond to any questions I may have and explains everything to me when I have doubts. She is absolutely compassionate and knowledgeable in her field.
Dr. Dunaway is a brilliant physician and surgeon. He is also an innovator and pioneer of the field of fertility. This is what initially drew me to Dr. Dunaway. He offered a new and more cost effective treatment that was the first of it's kind in Louisiana.
Trust the process and trust your doctor. He has been around for a while and truly cares and knows what he is doing.
I did a cycle of Invocell. It's basically a mini IVF with fewer medications and the goal is less eggs retrieved. The incubation happens within a device that the patient Carrie's around inside. The whole process seemed very easy on my body and easy overall. The goal is to produce a lower amount of embryos which was important for me since I do not want to have to decide what to do with any remaining embryos.
I could come in when it was best for me and I could go right into work afterwards. It was great.
The cost for my care was inclusive of the ivf treatment and meds and monitoring. It was about half the cost of traditional ivf.
I was strongly in agreement with Dr. Dunaway's recommendation to only transfer knee embryo at a time. I believe this significantly reduces risks to mother and child as well as reduces the risk of multiple pregnancies.
Baton Rouge
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has multiple locations and it was a huge help because my main clinic was 2 hours from my home. I was able to do most of my ultrasound and bloodwork at one of the clinics closer to my home. They were very accommodating.... I had two main IVF nurses and both were very compassionate and well organized. I felt comfortable calling them with any questions I had during my IVF process.... I had lots of anxiety and occasionally panic attacks and they were very compassionate. Dr. Lu was also very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic has multiple locations and it was a huge help because my main clinic was 2 hours from my home. I was able to do most of my ultrasound and bloodwork at one of the clinics closer to my home. They were very accommodating.
The nurses were great and helped me throughout my egg retrieval. I had lots of anxiety and occasionally panic attacks and they were very compassionate. Dr. Lu was also very compassionate.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was compassionate and easy to talk to. He explained every step of the process and helped me feel like I knew about everything that was going on and everything that I could expect. When I was at risk for OHSS, he did everything he could to prevent it. That included medication after egg retrieval and letting me know what warning signs to look for. I did not end up with OHSS.
He will give you a good description of what treatment you choose but have your questions ready as well. He will answer any and all questions you have.
My protocol for IVF was Follistim, Menopur and Ganirelix. After the first 4 days of stims, I went in for my first ultrasound and blood work. My medication was adjusted according to those results. I went in for ultrasounds and blood work every day until egg retrieval. I stimmed for 10 days and pulled the trigger on day 11. My egg retrieval was on day 13 and we got 14 eggs, 11 were mature and 7 fertilized via ICSI. We ended up with 5 frozen embryos.
We had to pay for ICSI and medication, the rest of our IVF treatment was covered by a grant that we won.
My doctor prefers to transfer 1 embryo at a time. I’m happy with this because having multiples puts the babies and mother at a higher risk of complications.

5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is wonderful, they are all very good at their unique individual jobs. They’re knowledgeable, caring and attentive to details. A new patient may want to know that bloodwork and ultrasounds are first come first serve in the morning so get there early!!... Ms. Jackie and all of the other staff here are incredible here! Ms. Jackie has been with Dr. Dunaway for over twenty years and has invaluable experience. She is extremely thorough and fully explains the process and makes sure that you are comfortable and fully know what to expect.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The staff is wonderful, they are all very good at their unique individual jobs. They’re knowledgeable, caring and attentive to details. A new patient may want to know that bloodwork and ultrasounds are first come first serve in the morning so get there early!!
Dr. Dunaway always seemed like he wanted the best and to give our last donor egg IVF cycle the best chance we could. He seemed genuinely upset and shocked when we miscarried and told us a personal story of how his daughter miscarried at the same stage and assured me I did nothing wrong and tested me right away instead of waiting for multiple miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Jackie)
After our very first consultation with Dr. Dunaway I looked at my husband and told him I wished we had found him sooner. He has a plethora of experience and a great bedside manner. He is thorough and determined in what he is doing and it shows in the work that he does.
My advice would to be to go see him with any fertility concerns as soon as possible. He will be honest and give you the best options with how to navigate through your infertility issues. He sees you as a person and his ultimate goal is to see you succeed! He also saw things my previous clinic had not, he found my uterus was covered in polyps and my old clinic never saw them and transferred an embryo anyway.
When we came to see Dr. Dunaway we had made the decision to use donor eggs, we had had two failed IVF’s prior with our previous Doctor. We had 6 donor eggs which resulted in 2 beautiful embryos. Prior to transfer I was on birth control for about 5 weeks, then Lupron for two weeks, estradiol valetate injections twice a week, baby aspirin, estrogen patches and we started progesterone in oil injections 6 days before transfer. We kept the PIO injections going up until I was 8 weeks pregnant, then switched to protestors suppositories 3x a day. We also had stopped the estrogen injections by week 7 and switched to an oral tablet once a day. His protocol had worked and we were pregnant but unfortunately we lost the baby the week we were supposed to be released from his care at 10 weeks. He tested me for immune disordes, blood clotting disorders but everything came out normal.
Luckily I had good insurance and had to only cover a deductible and max out of pocket, which totaled $4000. This was our third IVF and have now exhausted all of our benefits.
Dr. Dunaway advises to transfer one embryo, we only had two to start with. At first I wanted to transfer two but I was so thankful in the end that I only transferred the one.
Baton Rouge

We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!... We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!
Although the clinic is very busy, I feel all of my questions are answered and I don't usually feel rushed.
Holly is very informative in the field and answers all of our questions each visit. We feel comfortable with her and think she's really nice and caring.
So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit. We plan to move on to IVF if this second IUI is unsuccessful so I know we will see Dr. Dunaway again at that time. I feel he will address all of our concerns and explain the IVF process thoroughly should we decide to take that route.
Go see him! He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on all the latest technology and advances in fertility treatments. Very kind and caring doctor.
Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology. The first IUI was unsuccessful and I developed cysts from the Clomid. This next cycle, he switched me to Femara 7.5 mg, which I start today! I was prescribed the hcg trigger shot for both cycles, and this time we are adding progesterone suppositories.
We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some) and we had a credit on our account from previous services so we only had to pay $385 the day of the procedure. So the estimate they gave was pretty close, no surprises.
Baton Rouge

When we had appointments here [Fertility Institute of NO], we always left with more questions than answers. With outside monitoring they did not send the same day results until the following day, after a number of calls. ... The clinic is conveniently located and offers Saturday appointments. I think the nursing staff and front office staff could be more friendly and supportive. ... They often don't answer the phone to schedule appointments, you have to leave a message. The phlebotomist never shared that I shouldn't drink coffee before a blood test - just water. They once took 7 vials of blood but didn't offer me juice or tell me that I'd be light headed the rest of the day. Overall just felt like the ball was dropped many times.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is conveniently located and offers Saturday appointments. I think the nursing staff and front office staff could be more friendly and supportive. The lady that checks you out was always the nicest one. I've had some issues with outside monitoring - they never sent same day results. You have to stay on top of everything and be your own advocate!
FINO is a busy place, they see a lot of patients. Though a handful of nurses/techs were friendly, I often was turned off by their cold vibe. A little smile every now and then would go a long way.
One nurse, over the phone, told me that the genetic disorder I was a carrier of was "the scary one." I think I was speechless. Thank goodness I then did my own research and learned that was not necessarily the case. I found the nurses cold and aloof.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Lu is very smart. He seemed rushed every time we met with him. We were new to the world of fertility and were looking for answers to our many questions. Genetic testing was a huge part of why we needed help and he brushed it off and said we had to call the facility that handles that directly. He's very clinical, not one for warm and fuzzy.
Have your questions written down and ask all of them. Press him for more information and explanations. My advice would be, if you are young and just need minimal treatments, FINO and Dr Lu will be a good fit. If you are over 38 and need extensive help, seek a second opinion.
We sought a second opinion before doing a cycle with Dr Lu. But have done outside monitoring at FINO.
Outside monitoring is about $250-275/appointment.
We didn't get a chance to discuss this topic.
New Orleans

The nursing staff [at FINO] is very kind, compassionate and understanding. They are patient in explaining procedures and your plan of care. They are always available via phone as well. I always received follow up calls with in a few hours of my appointment to discuss my hormone levels, and the next steps/medication changes. To this day, I still keep in touch with some of the nurses!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The hours are great! I was always able to make appointments early in the morning so I wouldn't miss work for routine labs/blood work. The reception staff is not always warm and welcoming, but hey... they just answer phones and sign people in. They aren't responsible for my care, so that didn't bother me. It may bother some people.
The nursing staff at FINO is amazing! They truly care how you are feeling and take time explaining everything and answering questions. I still keep in contact with some of my nurses! I am looking forward to working with them again for my next embryo transfer. Dr Lu is also great! He's very personable and realistic. He remains positive in outlook, which helped me to feel confident that things would work out for us, which they did. He is patient in his explanations, and setting expectations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: I had 2: Mary and Ashley)
The nursing staff is very kind, compassionate and understanding. They are patient in explaining procedures and your plan of care. They are always available via phone as well. I always received follow up calls with in a few hours of my appointment to discuss my hormone levels, and the next steps/medication changes. To this day, I still keep in touch with some of the nurses!
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is highly qualified and experienced. He is very patient in explaining procedures and answering questions. He has a very understanding and warm bedside manner. We had 1 egg retrieval, 1 fresh embryo transfer, and 2 frozen embryo transfers. Currently, we have 1 more frozen embryo. Our fresh embryo transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Our first frozen transfer resulted in a positive pregnancy but miscarried very early (chemical pregnancy), and our 2nd frozen embryo transfer has resulted in the birth of our son! After our second transfer miscarried, we had a appointment with Dr Lu to discuss our plan moving forward. I went into the appointment very sad and frustrated. Since we are dealing with Male-Factor infertility, and I was under 30 years old at the time, we (meaning me, my husband, and Dr Lu) really thought that I would have gotten/stayed pregnant on the 1st or 2nd try. (side note- we did not do any PGD testing to know if our embryos were genetically normal/abnormal). Embryos were transferred in the order of highest rating to lowest rating. At our appointment, we discussed how he has had patients have perfect embryos that just don't work out, and then end up giving birth to their lowest rated embryo. His stories and examples helped me to feel more confident to move forward, thus resulting in our 3rd transfer and giving birth to our son. Dr Lu works between 2 clinics in the New Orleans area, so he is not always at the clinic at the time of my appointment. This was never a negative in my opinion! He is a very busy man, but if I ever felt the need to talk to him directly, his nurses would pass the message, and he would call me soon after. Dr Lu did perform all of my procedures, and was always available when needed.
Don't hesitate to make your appointment! He's great, and I highly suggest anyone to work with him.
I was under 30 years old at the time we started to seek treatment, never had any sort of problems of my own in regards to my cycle or reproductive system. We had tried several years to conceive on our own before starting to investigate why we weren't getting pregnant on our own. Come to find out, we are dealing with male-factor infertility. My husband's sperm count and quality are extremely low, giving us less than a 1% chance of conceiving on our own. Given all this information, Dr Lu explained why we should move straight to IVF. Because of my husbands sperm quality/quantity, clomid or IUI wouldn't raise our chances much at all. Shortly after our 1st consultation with Dr Lu, we decided to move forward. Once I started my next period, I called the office so we could start monitoring my uterus, ovaries, and blood levels. Once everything looked good, we order medications and started stimulation injections. I don't remember dosages, as they all changed day to day depending on my hormone levels. I know I was on Folistim and Menopur at the beginning, and then started hCG injections a few days before the egg retrieval. Once egg retrieval day arrived, we went in for the surgery. No complications. I started progesterone injections this same day, in anticipation that I would possibly do a fresh transfer. Retrieved 17 eggs, 12 of which were mature enough to fertilize. Dr Lu suggested that we uses ICSI to fertilize to make sure that each egg received a healthy sperm. Of the 12 eggs that received a sperm, 9 actually fertilized. Of those 9, 4 were healthy enough to make it to day 5/6 embryos. Because my hormone levels, uterus and ovaries were looking good, we decided that it was safe to do a fresh transfer 5 days after retrieval. This first transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. On the very next cycle, we did a frozen embryo transfer. I know I had injections leading up to the transfer, but other than progesterone, I can't remember what it was. This cycle, we did get a positive pregnancy test, but miscarried a week later. The following cycle, we went for another frozen transfer, which resulted in full term pregnancy and live birth of my son. We currently have 1 frozen embryo left, and plan to transfer in the next year or so.
I was very lucky! My employer offered benefits that included fertility treatment up to $20,000, or 1 full round of IVF. Which, after my deductible, I only paid 10% of the overall charges. I would not be a good example of the associated costs, because I paid very little compared to the majority of patients.
Dr Lu suggested that we only transfer 1 embryo at a time. Since I have a healthy reproductive system, and was under the age of 30, it didn't make sense to try more than 1 at a time. He had actually mentioned that they were preforming multiple embryo transfers for women under the age of 35, as it only increased the risk of multiple miscarriages and pre-term birth/complications. The chances of getting pregnant were only 1% higher with multiple embryo transfers vs single transfers. Dr Lu went on to explain that if you transfer 2 embryos, and 1 is healthy and implants, and the other implants and isn't healthy or miscarries, it could cause the healthy one to miscarry too.
Metairie

The front desk staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] seemed miserable to be at work and I always felt rushed. ... I was told after an appointment that I would be called by closing with results of lab work and the dosage of medications I should take over the next few days. I waited all day and was never called. I ended up having to call the after hours line who had to get me on the phone with someone because I had no idea how much medication to inject that night.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I can't list many strengths. The clinic itself was nice and tidy. The front desk staff seemed miserable to be at work and I always felt rushed. Their means of labs and ultrasounds is tiring. Check in at front desk, sit down, get called to the back for ultrasound, back to the waiting room to sit down, called to the back again for blood work, back to the waiting room to sit down, called to the back again for a nurse to tell you what to do with medications for the few days and when to come back, finally check out. It was tiring and draining.
When I went in for my consultation I was very nervous. We had enough funds for 1 IUI at the time. Dr. Lu was very nice and smiled a lot, but I felt like my questions weren't answered thoroughly and he was hard to understand. I was basically told that with endometriosis I had a 2-5% chance of conceiving naturally and that I should quickly make the decision of starting treatment. I felt rushed and confused by the time I left and I still had unanswered questions. From the time I walked in the door it was up and down and up and down from the font desk all the way to the back. Even when I made the decision to go ahead with IUI and they brought me in the room to show me how to administer my injections, I felt like I was just told everything quickly so that they could move on with their day.
The nursing staff was very straight forward and moved quickly. I always saw different nurses, and they didn't always seem very happy to be at work. The day I was supposed to be shown how to do my injections, I was in the room all of 2 minutes. I left nervous because I really still wasn't sure of exactly what I was supposed to do in order to use the injections correctly. I ended up googling it and asking a friend who had gone through treatments. When I would call to speak to a nurse I would wait all day for a call back and then it would seem like my questions were bothering them
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was very nice and smiled a lot during my consultation. He was hard to understand and I felt like my questions weren't being completely answered. He kept giving me statistics that were confusing me and I was told I should quickly make a decision about starting treatment as I only had 2-5% chance of conceiving naturally. I only saw him at consultation and the day of my IUI. During the IUI he came in and explained things quickly, performed the procedure, and left the room. My husband and I were both upset when we left.
He is very difficult to understand when he speaks and he is very in to statistics
I had a baseline ultrasound and lab work. I was prescribed Gonal F 100 mIU every day for 5 days to produce follicles, but not too many as I ovulate on my own. I went for ultrasound on day 3 and 6 of the treatment cycle to see how I was responding. On days 5 and 6 I was told to add Ganirelix to my injections to keep from ovulating on my own. On day 7 I did my trigger shot. On day 8 I had my IUI. The cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test
I believe cost of the bundle was $1275 which included office visits, ultrasounds, and blood work. Medication was not included in that cost. The IUI was $495. If it would have had to be done on a weekend then it would have costed $525.
Metairie

She [nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was great about answering my questions and trying to get my insurance to cover my injectable meds which required jumping through many hoops.... One of the ultrasound techs was amazing and one was terrible! The phlebotomist’s were both awesome. The clinic did have good morning hours but closed between 3:30-4:30 in afternoon so no phones answered and no way to get a message to anyone. Also no later appointments.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic ha no online portal. All labs results are communicated by nursing staff via phone. If you miss their call then you have to call back and leave a message and wait for a return call, which hopefully you didn’t miss! The phone calls all go to one office then have to be transferred to the specific location you need. One of the ultrasound techs was amazing and one was terrible! The phlebotomist’s were both awesome. The clinic did have good morning hours but closed between 3:30-4:30 in afternoon so no phones answered and no way to get a message to anyone. Also no later appointments.
Dr Sartor was very pushy, not really giving us time to fully comprehend what was happening, or understand the recommended treatment plan. We had to be forceful and push back to slow things down a little. Also we never moved on to IVF due to her pushing us for PGD and us not having the money for the base IVF much less extras.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Cherie)
She was great about answering my questions and trying to get my insurance to cover my injectable meds which required jumping through many hoops.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I saw Dr Sartor 4 times- initial consult, pre IUI consult, my third IUI and IVF consult after the third IUI failed. During the course of my treatment, I found out I am BRCA 1 positive, putting me at higher risk for ovarian and breast cancer. My treatment started with one round of unmonitored Femara. Instead of improved ovulation, I had an annovulatory cycle. The next step was IUI with ovulation induction. I started with Femara and Menopur and an HCG trigger shot. My first cycle was 1-2 follicles, second cycle was the same. The third cycle started with 2 weeks of birth control pills due to a large cyst at start of cycle. Then went on to the meds continuing with the same. But this cycle was different in that my body didn’t respond right away and so through the nurse Dr Sartor kept upping my dose of Menopur. Finally after 3 weeks of stimming we had 4 follicles. But again the cycle failed. Next step would be IVF. Dr Sartor was recommending ICSI, PGD (for BRCA 1) and possibly assisted hatching. We didn’t and still don’t have that kind of money. And medical loans have a very high interest rates. We weren’t interested in taking on such massive debt. As much as we want a family we have to be prudent. Also Dr Sartor pushing for PGD was very uncomfortable especially when we found out it was 12000 per cycle minimum. We stepped away from treatment at that time and have been trying on our own since.
Be prepared to stand up for yourself. Don’t let her rush you or steam roll you.
I don’t remember dosing but all cycles started with Femara then Menopur injections with dosing going up as needed for response. I also used gonadotropins to prevent early ovulation and an HCG trigger shot for the 3 IUI cycles. After each insemination the doctor performing it would determine when to start oral progesterone supplementation. I only had 7 dpo progesterone testing once and never had a pregnancy test through the office.
I don’t remember any costs. IUI was about $1500 without meds.
Had we progressed to IVF Dr Sartor only wanted to transfer one embryo. Her reasoning was that you don’t know if someone has an incompetent cervix until something happens so she wants to prevent it.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
They do a really good job getting you in and out in a timely manner, which is especially important when you have a full time job. Everyone is friendly and will try to help the best they can. Often the nurse isn’t available to talk when you call but will always call you back that day...All of the nurses were kind and helpful during the treatment. The ultrasound techs were especially kind and gentle, as once my ovaries got so big ultrasounds were very uncomfortable.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
He was very thorough and took a lot of time to explain the treatment. I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy. It’s so important to have a responsible doctor that has the experience to adjust and lower the risk of multiples. We underwent IUI in March 2017 and have beautiful, healthy boy/girl twins that arrived at the end of October. I’d recommend him to anyone!
Ask questions if you don’t understand and he always answers thoroughly.
I had level 1-2 endometriosis that caused me a lot of pain and pregnancy is one of the few treatments for it. I was 23 and my husband was 24 and our blood levels were so good that it was confusing to him why I hadn’t gotten pregnant easily after trying for 6 months. We had a miscarriage in December after getting pregnant naturally and started treatment in March. He decided to use injections for the type of endometriosis I had, as he said with his experience injections worked better for this type. I used 75IU of follistim for about a week and then used 10,000 IU of pregnyl for a trigger. We did IUI the day after trigger. This resulted in a fraternal twin pregnancy.
We spent about $3,200 for one round of injectable IUI. My insurance didn’t cover a lot of the ultrasounds so almost everything was out of pocket.
Metairie

Injection rounds [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk staff is incredible. They are very personable and even coordinate a monthly support group meeting on their own dime. They offer refreshments and rally a medical professional to discuss their field of expertise. The Mandeville location is never crowded(never felt like a cattle service, like other clinics and ob/gyn offices feel like).
He was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendi and Lisa)
I only had issues with one nurse (not named). All other nurses were compassionate, informed, honest, helpful, empathetic, and genuine.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Lu has been rated the best fertility doctor in the region, and I can see how. His strength is assessing a situation and making a treatment plan. He has done a great job of telling us what to expect for each round of treatment and the stats of likely success. I would definitely recommend him.
With infertility in general, Do your own research and always be your own advocate. He is flexible to change your plan if you want to be more aggressive. Come to the appointment with your questions prepared.
Because Clomid thinned by lining worse than its usual level, and letrozole didn't give me much response, Dr Lu put me on injections. He decided I didn't need an IUI since our post coital tests kept coming back postitive. The injections were able to achieve desirable lining thickness and ample follicles. There was still only a 20% success rate for us at best and we did 2 rounds without a bfp. I am completely impressed by his protocol on our IVF. I was so scared as he lowered my meds doses so much but at the end, he manipulated everything PERFECTLY. I was risking and nearly OHSS and he gave me letrozole and cabergoline to prevent full ohss and so I know we maximized the potential for eggs retrieved while keeping me safe. He did an excellent job of changing my doses every day. Transfer was perfect as well.
Clomid and letrozole rounds may have been around 300-400. Injection rounds had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
In August 2017, the SART board regulated in our region that you may only transfer one embryo (or be sanctioned), unless female is 38+yrs old or has had 2 previous failed transfers, no other exceptions. I was sad to only transfer one but it wasn't really up to Dr Lu. All the fertility clinics in Louisiana have to adhere to the new regulations. He was clear about the risks of transferring more than one, though.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
The clinic and Nurses [at Fert Institute of NO] were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process....Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive...Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive but they are the best in our area, so I do not regret going to them first.
The clinic and Nurses were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process.
Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm. Go in to appointments with questions ready to go so she isn't in and out. Very clear on directions, but can skim over side effects and emotional aspects of fertility treatment. Overall impression, they aren't there to baby you-they are there to get you pregnant.
Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff. He is worth going to just by his success rate alone. Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc.
Trust his opinion, but if you are detail-oriented, have all questions ready to go! Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
I should have kept notes. Lots of Lupron. Gonal and menopur for retrieval--doses changed often based on ultrasound and labs. A few oral meds to avoid OHSS after retrieval. I wanted to try a fresh transfer but they did not allow it due to my lab levels. For transfer, estradiol IM and patches, then added in IM progesterone. After transfer, added baby aspirin for a while. Switched IM progesterone to vaginal suppository. Stopped all meds at 10 weeks. Weekly ultrasounds until I "graduated" to regular ob at 10 weeks.
Ultrasounds and labs were scheduled in the mornings. Quick and efficient. Ultrasound and lab techs are very friendly. I always picked up new information from the ultrasound techs during my ultrasounds. (Sometimes they mentioned things I feel like I should have known about from the nurse! I wish I remember a good example of this.)
1 egg retrieval with 2 transfers cost about 12,000. ICSI was another $2000, roughly. Med cost was not included in this. I paid half up front, then the other half later on, I believe close to my transfer date.
Standard for my age was 2 embryo transfers, which I was fine with.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The nursing staff at The Fertility Institute is inconsistent. Some of Dr. Lu's nurses are absolutely wonderful. They respond to requests in a timely manner and when I was starting at-home injections, gave me their cell phone number just in case I forgot how to properly mix something during off-hours. This is my primary nurse with Dr. Lu. The other nurses who have supported me at random points don't feel as invested or knowledgeable of my course of treatment...The clinic is extremely well organized! You can expect the same routine each time you go and the staff is efficient and mindful of your time. They are also flexible with scheduling appointments and have a very thorough financing department.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
From the first appointment with Dr. Lu, I felt that he was deeply invested in my individual fertility journey. He was candid about the different infertility realities couples face and outlined his reasoning behind every single test he first administered. He has continued to be patient, thorough, and transparent throughout the ups and downs of our treatment. He has listened to what our major concerns are and has helped us to make the most informed decisions possible that are the best for our family.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu's strengths include taking a thorough approach to understanding his patients' history and goals for seeking fertility treatment. He is a candid communicator and is able to answer our questions from both a statistical and a compassionate mindset. I have felt confident in every step of our treatment because Dr. Lu truly understands our specific concerns and keeps those at the forefront of every recommendation. I have also appreciated his straightforward approach to communicating next steps and results, while still leaving room for compassion and understanding. An example of this is when he called with the Diminished Ovarian Reserve results. I was 29 at the time and this was a result we sincerely did not consider possible. Dr. Lu re-explained the testing process, the diagnosis, and his recommended treatment comprehensively, but stopped to say "I hear that you're upset, and I want you to know that it's okay. Now is the time to be upset." This was incredibly affirming of my experience as a patient. He was gentle in pushing us forward in our treatment to not waste time while also being incredibly understanding.
Dr. Lu is a straightforward communicator and an incredibly good listener but you should be prepared to ask questions and be clear about your concerns and goals! He answers all of our questions in full and has continued to keep our goals in mind. I would imagine that if you don't have those things ready and would like more of a coaching approach, you may not feel fulfilled in the relationship.
My husband and I tried to conceive naturally for 10 months before I made an appointment with my gynecologist, Dr. Sacha Wax. Due to my history of endometriosis, she moved forward with treatment and prescribed the first round of Clomid (50 mg/day), suspecting that I wasn’t successfully ovulating. My reaction to Clomid was not ideal but not uncommon. I developed a large cyst and went on birth control to diminish its size. Due to my history, reaction, and low progesterone, Dr. Wax recommended that I see a fertility specialist, and I made an appointment with Dr. Lu. The first few appointments with Dr. Lu were likely what every couple experiences on this journey. Bloodwork, ultrasounds, more bloodwork. From the initial imaging, Dr. Lu suspected an ovulation timing issue. We tried the HCG shot to trigger ovulation when one of my follicles was just on the cusp of the right size and my lining looked great. More bloodwork and progesterone supplements followed, as well as another sizeable cyst that ruptured and resulted in a trip to the emergency room. In the follow up conversation with Dr. Lu, he said that my bloodwork revealed my AMH results were extremely and surprisingly low for my age (29). I had an AMH of 0.677, when he expected it to be closer to 8, which meant my ovarian reserve was very low. The next step Dr. Lu recommended was another round of Clomid (100 mg/day), not to try for a successful pregnancy but instead to determine my FSH level to identify the quality of the eggs left in my limited reserve. The Clomid caused my FSH levels to almost double (from 6.8 to 11) which confirmed that both the quantity and quality of my ovarian reserve are extremely low. From there, Dr. Lu recommended that we try one-two months of Follistim injections (October 2016) in the hopes that this course of treatment would be successful instead of IVF. We tried one month of Follistim (150 mg/day) and I developed only one viable follicle on my left ovary, with two much smaller on my right. The treatment was unsuccessful and, on November 1, 2016, Dr. Lu shared that we were now at the point where IVF was the only course of treatment he could recommend due to my poor response to Follistim.
In total (including medications, imaging, bloodwork, special testing, and office visit fees) we have spent over $6,000 on our fertility treatment thus far. Louisiana Insurance companies are not required to cover infertility treatment so none of our visits with Dr. Lu are covered.
We have not gotten to this point in our treatment yet.

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic [Fert Inst of NO] does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy...[Nursing staff] Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see...he staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute... It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy.
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing. The staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute. Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly and then Jackie)
Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see even though infertility is extremely hard to deal with.
My statement from the human vs number will be the same answer. He is caring and compassionate, but straightforward with issues. He always has a plan ready if one plan didn't work out the way we hoped.
Don't waste your time seeing a OB/GYN. Let Dr. Dunaway help you get where you want to be quicker. He is amazing!
Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills. IUI with shots- my body didn't react enough to the pills. First time with shots I ovulated early which resulted in a negative pregnancy test and another medicine being added the next go around. 2 more cycles both with a negative pregnancy test. Surgery followed to see if their were blockages or other issues. IVF is our next step. Unfortunately, we have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
I have no cover under insurance for infertility and unexplained infertility. It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
Baton Rouge

Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information...Since I won the half off IVF, I was charged half of the costs. My total was around $7,500 - that included freezing all embryos and 1 transfer, so I would guess the costs would be around $14-15k (plus medicine). The ultrasounds that I had after my positive pregnancy test were paid separately..... They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic participated with an organization called Sarah's Laughter. SL hosts a Baby Steps fun run every year where they give away a $10k grant to one couple, and The Fertility Institute gave away a FREE IVF cycle. At Baby Steps 2015, Dr. Dunaway saw how many people had participated, so he gave away an additional half off IVF, 2 free IUIs, and a few free consultations. I signed up for Baby Steps and created a "race team". My name was chosen for the half off IVF cycle. Without Dr. Dunaway's generosity, I don't think I would be pregnant right now. At this point, I really cannot think of any weaknesses. They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
The staff at the Fertility Institute-BR are SO precious! I live 4 hours away from the clinic and they are so sweet and accommodating. They know my name, ask me how I'm doing, talk about real life, etc.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information. She does kind of talk fast, but when I ask her to repeat something she will even say, "I'm sorry I'm talking so fast..." then she will repeat or answer whatever question I have. The ultrasound girls are super sweet. They always talk to me, ask me how I'm doing, talk about the day, etc. I probably ask them the most questions while they are doing my ultrasound, "what's that? is that a good thing? why does that look like that? how do you know that the blob is a follicle and not a cyst?" they are always SO sweet and answer every single question...and they don't make me feel like I'm bothering them by asking. Another nurse that I've seen is Simone. She was there on my retrieval day & transfer day. She was really kind and caring. I don't remember the names of the other nurses who were there for my pre-op and post-op retrieval, but they were very sweet.
I really like Dr. Dunaway. His communication and personality are a very good fit for me. I prefer direct and to the point communication. I like that he kind of thinks out loud when we talk...that lets me know he's weighing different options about the protocol he's giving me and not just sticking to a cookie-cutter plan. He tells me the truth, asks me questions, asks if I am comfortable with what he's telling me to do or medicine to take. I feel like he communicates clearly and that is very important.
I just "graduated" from the clinic and am 10 weeks pregnant! Dr. Dunaway is an excellent doctor. He's the second RE that I've seen, and I trust him. Still ask questions if there's something you don't understand, but he explained things before I even needed to ask most of the time.
I was on Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, and the medicine used for trigger just completely left my brain. I'm thinking it was Bravelle? I cannot remember, sorry! It was a very straightforward protocol. They provided me with a calendar so that I could fill it in with the info from each visit - this was super helpful. My egg retrieval was in June 2016 and my transfer was supposed to be in September 2016. We started FET protocol, but my body went crazy with estrogen and my transfer had to be cancelled because my lining was too thick. My lining was a 17 for my first monitoring appointment. Ideally they want it to be around 9-12 by the time you transfer, so mine was WAY too thick. Dr. Dunaway personally came to chat with me and the IVF coordinator, Jackie. He specifically said that he hated to cancel my transfer, but that I have really good embryos and he doesn't want to waste my embryos on not-ideal lining. I was disappointed, but I trusted that he was doing what was best for me and my embryos. I was instructed to stop all meds and call when my cycle started. It didn't start for 4 weeks, so I just went back for them to check me, and they gave me Provera to make my period start. Dr. Dunaway adjusted my meds from estrogen injections & patches to just an oral dose of Estrace twice a day. My lining was looking good, but a little on the thicker side, so they moved my transfer date one day sooner. We transferred 2 embryos and I stayed on PIO injections for 6 weeks, then switched to Endometrium inserts for another 3 weeks (until I was 10 weeks pregnant). I was also still taking Estrace twice a day up until 10 weeks.
They prefer for you to be there between 7-9am. I live 4 hours away and would leave my house around 5am to get there at least by 9am. They were very understanding if I was late and were able to see me immediately. One time I completely slept through my alarms. I got on the road as fast as I could and called when they opened and told them what happened. They said it wasn't a big deal and as long as I was there by 11:30, it wouldn't be a problem. I was there at 10:50 and they called me right to the back. Even with the flooding in Baton Rouge, they didn't close and still saw patients as scheduled.

Endometriosis, PCOS
Mary and Ashley, the IVF Coordinators [at Fert Institute of NO], are amazing. They are always ready to answer my questions and promptly respond when I leave messages. They are both knowledgeable and well informed, but also extremely kind and compassionate. The entire staff has made this process such a positive experience so far and we look forward to working with everyone as we continue on this journey to start our family...The entire staff is wonderful. They are kind and extremely responsive. Not to mention, always helpful.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
With Dr. Sartor, I have always felt like a human - never simply a number. Since the very beginning, my husband and I have felt at ease with Dr. Sartor, and with each step in this process so far, we have felt more and more so. My diagnoses came suddenly and unexpectedly, so it was quite a bit for us to take in at one time. Dr. Sartor has always taken the time listen to our questions/concerns and thoroughly explain each step, procedure, potential outcomes, next steps, etc. She has tailored my protocol specifically for my needs and adjusted as needed depending on my particular response, as well as been a constant source of encouragement during an uncertain time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary and Ashley)
Mary and Ashley, the IVF Coordinators, are amazing. They are always ready to answer my questions and promptly respond when I leave messages. They are both knowledgeable and well informed, but also extremely kind and compassionate. The entire staff has made this process such a positive experience so far and we look forward to working with everyone as we continue on this journey to start our family.
Our experience with Dr. Sartor has been everything we hoped it would be. Nothing can prepare you for infertility. However, once you realize that infertility treatments are necessary, you hope for a doctor that will strive for success and treat you with compassion and understanding along the way. Dr. Sartor has been that and more for us. She is always prepared with the most recent information and takes the time to walk us through it. She is positive and also realistic, so you know exactly what to expect. We are looking forward to beginning IVF treatments with Dr. Sartor and hoping for a successful outcome.
Never be afraid to ask questions or for further explanation. Dr. Sartor considers each and every question/concern you have and answers it thoroughly based on scientific evidence and statistics.
In April of this year, I became a patient of Dr. Sartor's after receiving a diagnosis of PCOS and advanced endometriosis. After careful examination, ultrasound and review of my case, Dr. Sartor came to the same conclusion and developed a protocol for me. On April 20th, Dr. Sartor performed a hysteroscopy, D & C, and laparoscopy to remove 4 large endometriomas. While I was under, she also performed a hysterosalpingogram. I had excellent results from the surgery, as Dr. Sartor was able to remove all signs of endometriosis, while still keeping both ovaries and tubes in place. Now completely healed, I have begun IVF treatment with Dr. Sartor and will start stimulation medications in just a few weeks.
Metairie

[Fertility Institute of NO] Strengths: it's convenient, there are a few docs so you can always change within the group Weaknesses: it doesn't have a warm and welcoming feeling. This is an emotional process and at times ( a lot of times) I just felt like a number and another dollar....[re: nursing staff] Busy and cold. Both times my IUI's failed the next sentence out of their mouth was ok so today is day what of your period and we need to start meds on day x. No I'm sorry or how are you doing. You may see one nurse in clinic and a different one may call you back. No continuity with the nursing staff unless you are starting IVF.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I feel like every patient gets the same treatment and they don't always look at you like an individual. When Amy treatments failed I was never consoled it was ok let's start your meds again.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I felt she was thorough at first but when my first IUI failed she wanted to do the same protocol again. The only reason we changed it up is because I had questions and requested the appointment. Otherwise, we would have repeated the same thing over and I would have never seen her. Also, after a patient spends thousands how do you sit across from them with very little emotion? It just feels cold there at times. I also don't think doctors did deep enough to find the root cause of the issue. When paying cash I shouldn't have to come with lots of questions each time.
Come prepared and have lots of questions and don't be afraid to ask or you will get the same standard protocol as most pastients.
2 failed Femara cycles with timed intercourse and BFN both times. 1st IUI was with Tamoxifen, Follistim, Ganerelix, & 5,000 hcg trigger. IUI was 24 hours post trigger & BFN. 2nd IUI changed slightly because of questions I asked. Tamoxifen, Follistim, Menopur, Ganerelix, Lupron/2,500 hcg trigger. IUI 36 hours after with a BFN. She stated that the reason for pills with injection was there was no evidence to suggest that injections only in an IUI cycle was more successful & it cost more.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Strengths of the clinic [FINO-Metairie] are the number of knowledgeable doctors available and the treatment options. The biggest weakness I found was that it was just too big of a clinic. I would have preferred to see the doctor at every appointment. I needed to feel like I was the most important patient at the time of my treatment and not just a number. For me, I just needed a smaller setting.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths of the clinic are the number of knowledgeable doctors available and the treatment options. The biggest weakness I found was that it was just too big of a clinic. I would have preferred to see the doctor at every appointment. I needed to feel like I was the most important patient at the time of my treatment and not just a number. For me, I just needed a smaller setting.
Dr. Sartor was always willing to listen and answer any questions I had. I never felt like a bother. She was very understanding and compassionate with my miscarriages as well.
Mary was very thorough and kind throughout the process. I often called with questions and she always got back to me the same day with answers. My issue came into play after I received news of a drug recall due to possible lack of potency. When I questioned this I was given a very defensive answer. She told me that Dr. Sartor had been aware of the possible lack of potency and adjusted my dose accordingly. I feel like I should have been made aware of the adjustments and reasons for them so that I could decide if I wanted to proceed with cycle as such or look into other protocol. I feel like I should have been notified of the recall by the clinic and not the pharmaceutical company.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Sartor is very kind and extremely knowledgeable. She was honest about my chances of conceiving with my own eggs, but did so in a gentle manner. She told me pretty early on in treatment that donor egg route was my best chance. She was always positive and hopeful.
Be your own advocate. Ask any questions you can think of and expect an honest answer.
I don't remember the name of the protocol used. I started on Lupron injections, followed by bravelle and menopur every evening for 13 days. I was taking 4 vials each and that was adjusted throughout the 13 days. I wound up with 8 eggs on this cycle and 7 of them fertilized. By day 5, transfer day, I had 4 embryos left of varying quality. I transferred 3 (I was 40 years old at the time of transfer) and froze 1. I did get pregnant from this cycle, but lost the baby due to miscarriage at around the 7 week mark.
The medications cost me around $7000 in total. I had to order more than originally thought necessary. The procedure itself was right around $12000 and I added ICSI which was another $1750. There were different packages available for multiple cycles that would have been slightly discounted.
Due to my age at transfer being 40, Dr. Sartor and I had agreed to transfer up to 3 embryos.
Metairie

I love this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans-Baton Rouge] and have nothing negative to say! Expect friendly faces and personal dialogue from everyone involved from the moment you check in to the time you leave. The clinic is state of the art, professional and very inviting.... All of the nurses and coordinators were very quick to call me with lab results and answer all of my questions. They were very thorough and spent as much time with me as I needed
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I love this clinic and have nothing negative to say! Expect friendly faces and personal dialogue from everyone involved from the moment you check in to the time you leave. The clinic is state of the art, professional and very inviting.
Dr. Dunaway and his staff were always personable and friendly! They made me and my husband feel like we were part of their family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Simone, Holly)
All of the nurses and coordinators were very quick to call me with lab results and answer all of my questions. They were very thorough and spent as much time with me as I needed.
Dr. Dunaway was always cheerful and friendly. He spent as much time as we needed during each appointment and I never once felt rushed to leave. He made me feel as though I was his only (and favorite) patient. Dr. Dunaway went above and beyond to answer questions and explain treatment protocol. His confidence helped ease any anxiety I had.
Trust him and don't be afraid to ask questions. He is extremely compassionate while quickly getting to the point. He's not going to waste your time or money.
Dr. Dunaway began with an HSG to ensure my tubes weren't blocked and proceeded with an IUI with injectables due to my history of failed response with Clomid and letrozole. We used Gonal-F and Cetrotide that matured five follicles but the IUI was not successful. We decided to go to IVF with ICSI and after a saline sonogram I began stim protocol using Follistim, Menopur and lupron. I had monitoring appointments almost every day due to medication adjustments before my egg retrieval.
Monitoring appointments for ultrasounds and labs are done in a two hour window first thing in the morning. They provided hours before work so schedules were not inconvenient.
Of the the 8 eggs fertilized, 2 were frozen on day five and 2 more were frozen on day six. We elected to transfer two embryos based on preference and statistics and it resulted in a single pregnancy.
Baton Rouge

My appointments [at Fert Institute of NO] always went smoothly and I never had a long wait. I usually went from the waiting room, to the lab, to ultrasound, to see the nurses, and then Dr. Sartor...The entire staff that I worked with including ultrasound techs, nurses, coordinators, and Dr. Sartor were all a pleasure to work with. Both of the IVF nurses, Ashley and Mary, were not only extremely knowledgeable but also kind...Ashley and Mary were always quick to call me back if I called with a question or concern. They methodically explained how to draw up/mix the injectable medication and made sure my husband and I were both confortable with this.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My appointments always went smoothly and I never had a long wait. I usually went from the waiting room, to the lab, to ultrasound, to see the nurses, and then Dr. Sartor.
I felt like a human and not a number for many reasons. First and foremost, all of my questions and concerns were thoroughly listened to and answered. Dr. Sartor always approached my case with understanding, encouragement, and compassion. I felt like Dr. Sartor presented the facts for our particular situation and always knew the “next step” only when we were ready for it. The protocol she used was individualized for me and was fine tuned based on how I was responding to the medications after each appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley and Mary )
The entire staff that I worked with including ultrasound techs, nurses, coordinators, and Dr. Sartor were all a pleasure to work with. Both of the IVF nurses, Ashley and Mary, were not only extremely knowledgeable but also kind. They always greeted me with a smile and small talk before “getting down to business.” Ashley and Mary were always quick to call me back if I called with a question or concern. They methodically explained how to draw up/mix the injectable medication and made sure my husband and I were both confortable with this. I felt like the entire staff that I worked with were with us during our journey through both the ups and downs.
Dr. Sartor went above and beyond to put my husband and I at ease during this very uncertain time. She always took the time to thoroughly explain our protocol including procedure, what to expect, medications, risks, etc. Not only did she answer all of our questions we were always presented with the most recent evidence based information. We felt like she spent as much time with us as we needed and never felt rushed. Being in Dr. Sartor’s care made this difficult time a positive experience. I truly do not feel like we would have had the same outcome with any other doctor. I believe that I would not be holding my 10 week old daughter if it was not for her. We look forward to being in her care when we decide to continue to grow our family.
As always, come prepared with any questions you may have and have an understanding as to what to expect for your first visit.
I had 3 egg retrievals, 5 embryo transfers, 2 endometrial receptivity arrays. -1st egg retrieval resulted in 8 embryos -1st frozen embryo transfer (transferred 2) resulting in singleton pregnancy -Miscarried at 10 weeks- testing showed that it was a result of trisomy 13 -Along with Dr. Sartor my husband and I decided to do genetic screening on the remaining 6 (2 came back as healthy embryos) -2nd frozen embryo transfer, transferred one resulting in negative pregnancy test -2nd egg retrieval resulting in 6 embryos- after PGS testing we were left with 2 -3rd frozen embryo transfer- transferred one- resulting in chemical pregnancy -Dr. Sartor recommended doing the endometrial receptivity array due to the chemical pregnancy and potential endometrial problems that could have arisen due to the difficult D&C I had with 1st pregnancy and miscarriage -1st Endometrial receptivity array (ERA) recommended another day of progesterone support before embryo transfer -We decided to do a 2nd ERA to confirm this -2nd ERA did indeed confirm extra day of progesterone support needed -4th Frozen embryo transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test -3rd Egg retrieval resulting in 11 embryos- after PGS we were left with 7 -5th Frozen embryo transfer (transferred 2 embryos) resulted in positive singleton pregnancy -We now have a healthy 10 week old daughter and 5 embryos remaining.
Metairie

This clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a monthly support group that is wonderful. One of the nurses facilitates it on her free time. The Mandeville location is very personal and small enough to where they recognize you and remember your name but big enough to where you can trust their lab technology and they are up to date on procedures...Some nurses were incredible, others were incredibly insensitive. One called me to inform me (during my 2ww of a treatment month) that "when your period starts, call us because we have a plan for your next month."...
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a monthly support group that is wonderful. One of the nurses facilitates it on her free time. The Mandeville location is very personal and small enough to where they recognize you and remember your name but big enough to where you can trust their lab technology and they are up to date on procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was good at communication. He was sensitive.
Some nurses were incredible, others were incredibly insensitive. One called me to inform me (during my 2ww of a treatment month) that "when your period starts, call us because we have a plan for your next month." I was dumbfounded and asked if they had reason to believe that their previous treatment shouldn't have worked and she said "no." On another occasion, I asked what an AMH was and what my level meant and the nurse told me I would have to go to college to understand it!
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
How was your experience with Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I was very disappointed with him. He told me it looked like I would get pregnant with triplets on my first cycle of Clomid. I spent the 2ww convinced I could get pregnant. When I informed the office that it failed, he wasn't surprised and said because my lining was so thin, it made sense.... He certainly failed to tell me that at the appointment when he reviewed my ultrasound. I didn't even know I had a problem with lining before clomid but my preliminary testing showed thin lining but he chose Clomid (which causes thinner lining) anyway. Then he told me everything looked perfect. I was devastated and angry.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
When test results come in, you have to ask "is anything LESS than PERFECT"... and interrogate them to be sure to understand your situation : ( Even after I learned to ask that question, I wasn't fully informed of my less than perfect test results during a treatment cycle. He was too optimistic when I just needed my doctor to be honest and realistic with me. Family and friends are for optimism, not your doctor.
Describe the protocols Steven Taylor used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
I came in with male factor infertility (corrected by surgery) and stage 1 endometriosis. He put me on Clomid (even though my lining without treatment was thin). My post coitals always came back good, so we never were recommended an IUI. He then put me on Letrozole which didn't give my body much of a reaction. I changed doctors after that. He was a bit too optimistic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Initial consult was $215. Ultrasound around $120. Blood work was around $30 for each hormone level checked. Injection months were $1250 flat rate (before ovulation) for all blood work and ultrasounds. Post coitals were $87.
Steven Taylor
Mandeville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
I like that I was always able to get early morning appointments [at Fertility Institute of NO], since I work, that way I didn't have to miss too much work. However, I find wait times were pretty long. Again, I felt like a number to them. Like no one cared about my well being, or the emotional toll everything was taking on me. I understand that it's a difficult process for everyone going through this, but it didn't seem like the nurses cared about how difficult of a time this was for their patients.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I like that I was always able to get early morning appointments, since I work, that way I didn't have to miss too much work. However, I find wait times were pretty long. Again, I felt like a number to them. Like no one cared about my well being, or the emotional toll everything was taking on me. I understand that it's a difficult process for everyone going through this, but it didn't seem like the nurses cared about how difficult of a time this was for their patients.
Dr. Sartor was always very dry when I saw her, which wasn't very often. I was in her care for almost two years and could probably count on one hand the number of times I saw her. We ended up doing 4 unsuccessful IUIs, and it was me who said I wanted to move on to something else, since IUI obviously wasn't working. I don't feel like that should've been my decision. I was never told "we're going to try this, this many times, and then we'll move on to plan B". In my opinion, I was never really informed well enough about what was going on with my body. I felt like they thought I was stupid when I asked questions, aside from Mary, the IVF nurse.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary (IVF Coordinator))
Aside from Mary, the IVF Coordinator, I wasn't that pleased with any of the other nursing staff. I always felt like a number to them. They made me feel stupid for asking questions that I felt like I should've been informed about to begin with.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I don't feel like Dr. Sartor cared about me as a patient. I don't think she would even know who I was if she saw me in the waiting room. She was once out of town for a scheduled IUI procedure, and I had no idea until a different doctor showed up to preform the procedure.
Don't go.
I don't remember.

2011 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I felt like the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was overcrowded, overbooked, and very difficult to communicate. Every phone call required a hold or transfer or message that would be returned hours later. I wished that there could have been an online messaging system....I was allowed to pay as I went for IUI, however the clinic wanted payment in full up front for the IVF (my out of pocket max) and then we settled insurance later
2011 - 2014
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This was the only clinic available to me at the time, before Audubon was in practice. I do like that FINO is in Metairie as opposed to Mid-City. However, I felt like the clinic was overcrowded, overbooked, and very difficult to communicate. Every phone call required a hold or transfer or message that would be returned hours later. I wished that there could have been an online messaging system.
While extremely happy with the results of our treatment, I always felt the goal with Dr Sartor was the quickest alternative to pregnancy. However, at times I would have preferred knowing why we couldn’t get pregnant on our own or what we could have been doing different naturally.
Mary was a much better communicator than Ashley when it came to questions about the treatment course and expectations for the ultrasounds and bloodwork and medications. Ashley was best at scheduling and assisting with the chart.
I appreciated Dr Sartors experience and knowledge of the practice, however I didn’t always feel as if she was sensitive to the hormonal emotions involved - specifically depression. Dr Sartor seemed to be very well versed in the numbers and statistics, however pinning her down to explain something in layman’s terms felt difficult to schedule and sometimes even harder to understand. Not her fault, but I felt my diagnosis didn’t come until after my final failed IUI before moving on to IVF, I’m unsure if that is just an unfortunate part of the process or if that was a product of her method of practice to seek pregnancy over diagnosis.
Listen. Have your questions ready, she may not go out of her way to discuss topics that she might not consider relevant.
My insurance required 6 rounds of IUI before moving to IVF. Dr Sartor would have progressed us to IVF sooner (after 3 IUI). The medications increased with each failed IUI, this was mostly do to follicle response. Each failed IUI cycle the number of follicles and readiness in size improved with the changes in dosage.
I was enrolled in a High Deductible Health Savings Plan, I paid out of pocket up to 3000 depending on the plan year and then all other expenses were covered 100%. I was allowed to pay as I went for IUI, however the clinic wanted payment in full up front for the IVF (my out of pocket max) and then we settled insurance later
We were able to transfer two embryos at our discretion before the laws had changed to only allow one. There wasn’t much discussion or emphasis on her preference as to whether we transferred 1 or 2. I seem to remember transferring two was just the thing to do at the time.
New Orleans

It’s a large clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] with a lot of patients so it can feel a little overwhelming at first to be shuttled from nurse to nurse, but they are all great at their job. If you aren’t seeing a doctor and are just being monitored, the appointments are quick and efficient. They are excellent at returning phone calls with results and/or questions that may arise...The staff is large but they are all very nice and professional.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It’s a large clinic with a lot of patients so it can feel a little overwhelming at first to be shuttled from nurse to nurse, but they are all great at their job. If you aren’t seeing a doctor and are just being monitored, the appointments are quick and efficient. They are excellent at returning phone calls with results and/or questions that may arise.
She is obviously very busy, but we never felt rushed with her and she is very thorough. We felt our treatment plan was well tailored to the specific issues we faced. As our treatment progressed, we appreciated the relationship we shared with Dr. Sartor.
The staff is large but they are all very nice and professional.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Sartor is very thorough and is always willing to answer questions and explain something further when we didn’t understand. I always appreciated her honesty with us and felt like her advice always had our best interests in mind. Our treatment plan was customized to the challenges we faced and was ultimately successful.
Don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have. In our experience, she’s great at educating her patients.
IVF - I believe we paid $18k and that included one transfer and the first year of embryo storage. This didn’t include medication. IUI - About $1000 plus $400 or so for the procedure. I can’t remember if this included the medication or not.

PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are knowledgeable about the process...$1385 for IUI and labs...$150 in medication...The parking for the clinic is horrible. You will have a difficult time trying to find somewhere to park. The staff is quick with check ins and taking labs. The privacy aspect is not completely private, you can guess what others are there for during the visit...
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I felt he took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Charlene)
The nurses are knowledgeable about the process.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI. He took his time to explain to me and my wife how he could help us in the process. Unfortunately, the IUI didn't turn into a pregnancy so we will be doing a follow up appointment to see what our next step will be.
When you first meet him, put all your cards on the table with expectations and concerns with the process.
When I started the process with him in December 2017, it was discovered I had a cyst, in which birth control was prescribed to make it smaller. This process last until the end of February. I was put on Letozole 7.5mg for 5 days , wait for 5 days to do ultrasounds to check follicle size and I took Pregnyl on March 2 and I was inseminated on March 3
$1385 for IUI and labs $270 for co payments for the treatment of cyst $150 in medication

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
This clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.... r Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.
Staff is very pleasant and personable. They seem to be excited for us when we were able to start treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendy (nurse) then Lisa (ivf nurse))
Dr Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable. He is down to earth and talks to you like you are a friend not a patient. He stutters but is not hard to follow what he is saying. It’s more like his mouth can’t keep up with what his brain wants to say. He talks to both partners and explains in detail what treatment he recommends. He takes his time with talking to you and will answer any questions.
Take notes on what he says. He can cover so much information that it’s hard to remember it all sometimes.
We went to Dr. Lu interested in his donor embryo program. He was very happy for us to adopt embryos and work with us. After we ran bloodwork to be matched with donors, we did an shg and then began a fet cycle.
I had to pay for initial consult & testing & then fet cost.
Dr. Lu was very adamant that he would only transfer 1 embryo at a time. He explained that the risks of a multiple pregnancy was much higher than a singleton pregnancy.
Mandeville

The doctors and the nurses [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] were sOmetimes in different pages. I had a delay in Med order and the phone is horrible is routed to another clinic. ... I had a very rude nurse who didn’t know what I had spoken to the doctor about and told me not to waste my timing buying meds because they were cancelling my cycle. ... Strengths are they can accommodate most times for labs and ultrasounds. Weakness is new age technology and studies. They need to be researching what other clinics are doing.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths are they can accommodate most times for labs and ultrasounds. Weakness is new age technology and studies. They need to be researching what other clinics are doing. Invocell is new and promising and so is endometrial scratching. They are doing either. And I feel like they overcharge for a non iui non injections cycle.
Some of the protocols were generic and not specific to the situation.
I had a very rude nurse who didn’t know what I had spoken to the doctor about and told me not to waste my timing buying meds because they were cancelling my cycle. The rest of the staff was great.
How was your experience with Ron Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is caring and offered many extracurricular programs such as detox yoga and diets. But he is old school and doesn’t try new things such as endo scratch for iui. He wanted resources and didn’t have time to read them. He is older and does things how he sees they have worked which could be good.
Do your research and ask questions before treatment begins.
Our first cycle was just Femara and hcg with timed inter course. Our second was femara with injections follistim and ganerelix due to the fact I would ovulate on Friday and need iui on Sunday and they aren’t open. Iui still happened even though I ovulated. Third was same protocol except I started femara on days 4-9 and was able to have my cycle off of a weekend. Neither worked bfn!
Monitoring was $900 and blood work was covered by insurance Iui was $500 and sperm washing was $200
Metairie

I feel that the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is filled with a ton of very knowledgeable team members, who really want to see each couple bring home a baby. They treat each couple on an individual basis, which is super important, since no two cases of infertility are the same. From the receptionist to the Dr's, everyone is top knotch. ... The entire staff are very helpful & compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I feel that the clinic is filled with a ton of very knowledgeable team members, who really want to see each couple bring home a baby. They treat each couple on an individual basis, which is super important, since no two cases of infertility are the same. From the receptionist to the Dr's, everyone is top knotch.
This is the first doctor, we've seen for infertility, that actually dug deep to find out what was wrong with me & didn't treat us with a "standard" ivf cycle.
The entire staff are very helpful & compassionate.
I met Dr Dunaway at an infertility support group meeting, where he came to speak about Invocell. I don't qualify for Invocell, but through his speech, I could see his passion for wanting to help couples become families. It was at that moment, I knew we needed to meet with Dr Dunaway.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. He'll not only give you his time, but he'll dig deeper to find out the root of your problem & find a solution.
Dr Dunaway discovered that I have immune deficiencies. He ordered an IV therapy session before my embryo transfer, which helps increase the success of a transfer (it's not 100%, but can increase the odds). Unfortunately, it didn't work for me & I'm currently in the middle of my 2nd miscarriage.
Dr Dunaway follows the law to a t. Although, he understood our desire to transfer 2 embryos, the law dictates that (in our situation) we can only do 1 at a time.
Baton Rouge

Typically short wait times [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Typically short wait times, which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is hugely knowledgeable and sweet. My only issue is that I feel he may have had too many patients to really retain an understanding of each patient. Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit. Thank goodness for charts and record keeping! Overall he is an awesome doctor and we wouldn’t have our beautiful baby girl without him.
Educate yourself on procedures, medications, etc. Research. Dr. Lu is a total pro but sometimes he speaks quickly so it helps if you have a little understanding and can keep up.
We bought a package that allowed us 2 attempts. It was somewhere around 10 thousand. This does not include medications, which are also very costly.
Having two babies at once is hard! Both the pregnancy and afterwards with twins (or more!). It’s safer to hope for a healthy Singleton.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
The whole process [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was a positive one for me despite the reason we had to be there. Some of the nurses could have taken more time to explain things but as a whole they were encouraging and helpful. If also felt like they were truly rooting for you!...On my initial visit I wished that the nurse would have done a better job of breaking down the tests that needed to be run. I felt overwhelming and confused. After that visit, the nurses were great. They called quickly with test results and helped me understand what they meant. They were also fabulous once we got pregnant throughout visits and ultrasounds!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The whole process was a positive one for me despite the reason we had to be there. Some of the nurses could have taken more time to explain things but as a whole they were encouraging and helpful. If also felt like they were truly rooting for you!
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Dunaway was very aggressive with his plan for my treatments. He also did a great job of laying out all the options and talking through possible scenarios. Dr Dunaway was present for every appointment and ultrasound. He clearly set expectations for my next appointment and was honest on what to expect!
Be prepared for complete honesty. He is warm and kind but does not sugar coat anything.
We did not use any treatment to get pregnant. I had high natural killer cells so once we got pregnant we had to undergo testing to see how high my natural killer cells were and then complete three rounds of IVIG treatment to keep my body from fighting off the fetus until my placenta took over.
I paid for most of my initial testing out of pocket. After that, his office did a great job coding my visits so that they were covered.
Baton Rouge

[Fertility Institute of New Orleans is] Clean and accommodating...Sometime long wait times...My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and accommodating Sometime long wait times My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. His nurse is nice but is a bit dry and not overly helpful.
Nice but not overly helpful or caring. Felt more like a number with the nurse staff
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Dunaway was kind and very informative. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation. Unfortunately, 4.5 years of infertility and we are still not pregnant
Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions. If you are doing a iui, have your husband collect the sample at the office and not off premise. The wait to collect my husbands sample was extremely long and I feel it may have cost us a successful cycle
Iui with oral medications. It was our third iui and medications where champagne increased each cycle. All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests
Approximately: Ultrasounds- $200 x 4-5 Blood work- $1,000 Medications- $1,000 IUI- $700 Sperm testing- $400

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is conveniently located and very experienced. You need to make sure you are responsible for your own schedule though. They will give you a schedule, but you need to stay on top of it and your meds. Mary and Ashley are very helpful.... Egg Retrieval cycles were about $16,000 all in (including medicine). FRET cycles are about $4,000 all in.... Dr. Sartor is good at what she does. Her curt bedside manner might not be for all, but she knows what she is doing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is conveniently located and very experienced. You need to make sure you are responsible for your own schedule though. They will give you a schedule, but you need to stay on top of it and your meds. Mary and Ashley are very helpful.
Dr. Sartor is direct, but clear when she goes through your care.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Sartor is good at what she does. Her curt bedside manner might not be for all, but she knows what she is doing and will give you a clear concise course of action to get you pregnant. We saw her for a long time through both IUIs and IVF.
Be prepared for a no nonsense approach to your treatment. She is very direct and won't mince words.
We started with IUIs because we were both young and had no known fertility issues (we are a lesbian couple). After several attempts without success we decided to move onto IVF cycles. We did two egg retrievals. After the first egg retrieval, we had five embroys. We did two transfers resulting in two miscarriages. With only one embryo left, we opted to do another egg retrieval. This time we got a lot of eggs and about 19 embryos. We used two and elected to freeze the best ten and nine made it. We got pregnant for twins in that fresh cycle after the egg retrieval.

Endometriosis, Other
The nursing staff [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans-Baton Rouge] was overall kind and tried to be helpful. Dr. Dunaway's nurse was very slow and unorganized. She kept getting my medical records confused with someone else.... The clinic was clean and organized. However you will be dismissed from Dr. Dunaway's care if you have a failed IVF on your record. You are a number to him, not a person. Friends and other doctors are appalled when I tell them what he did.
Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Dunaway treated me like a number. Once I had a failed IVF done in New York, Dr. Dunaway sent me a certified letter releasing me from his care. Dr. Dunaway performed a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy well for me but we never got to IVF due to the above reason.
The nursing staff was overall kind and tried to be helpful. Dr. Dunaway's nurse was very slow and unorganized. She kept getting my medical records confused with someone else.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I met Dr. Dunaway on a Friday and he performed a laparoscopy/hysteroscopy on Monday. He told my husband different findings than he told me as it relates to my endometriosis and ashermans syndrome. I went to New York to do IVF as it was the only affordable option for me at the time. I was monitored by Dr. Dunaway's office. Once they found out IVF failed, they sent me a certified letter dismissing me from his care.
Don't tell Dr. Dunaway if you get a second opinion or do a procedure elsewhere as he won't accept due to it affecting his numbers.
$2000 for hysteroscopy and laparoscopy and it was covered by insurance

Anovulation, Male Factor
They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are supportive and caring and have some of the latest advancements and technology right there...Ms. Mary was the best ever!! The nurses are just as invested in your outcome as you are. They are there to celebrate with you and they are there to be a shoulder to cry on if you need one...The IUI itself was about 3,000 not including meds and the IVF was 12,000 for two rounds, not including meds.
Anovulation, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They are supportive and caring and have some of the latest advancements and technology right there.
The doctor and nurses know my case without having to refer to the file. I was always able to ask questions and get answers almost instantly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary McGregor)
Ms. Mary was the best ever!! The nurses are just as invested in your outcome as you are. They are there to celebrate with you and they are there to be a shoulder to cry on if you need one. DO NOT talk to Ashley though, she is the worst nurse there. I just always asked to speak with Mary and she was always prompt in calling me back.
Dr. Sartor was very thorough and explained the process every step of the way. She was kind and was reassuring when we had negative tests. She was almost always positive but not unrealistic in what our expectations should be. I am a mom now because of her, what else is there to say.
Ask questions! Do not hesitate to say if you need somethings explained more thoroughly.
I don't remember the protocol I was on.
I would go for blood testing and ultrasounds on my lunch hour and I was always in and out of the clinic. Saturday is the only day that it is crazy busy and you have to wait.
Because of my age and fertility issues we always did multiple embryo transfer. With that said, Dr. Sartor was always careful to explain the pros and cons and left the ultimate decision up to my husband and I.

2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS
IVF 16,000... PGD 5,000 FROZEN TRANSFER 3500...Hyper-stimulation, PGD test after embryos had been frozen, trouble transferring paperwork...I find the nursing staff [at FINO] to be too busy for the amount of patients they have. They did always return calls that day when i was a cycle patient. But I felt more like a number to them then I did Dr. Sartor
2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Stengths- busy, everything flows easy from blood, to ultrasound to lab etc. weaknesses- too busy, didn't help find the cheapest med med options.
I felt like a human, when i got hyper-stimulated, Dr Sartor gave me her cell number because i was so sick. she went above for me and didn't have to.
I find the nursing staff to be too busy for the amount of patients they have. They did always return calls that day when i was a cycle patient. But I felt more like a number to them then I did Dr. Sartor
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I loved Dr. Sartor. She is a very smart and brilliant. Unfortunately sometimes I thought her work load was too much. At this clinic you deal with the nurses alot more. But when I did have time with her it was amazing. She always had something new she was willing to do to try again. Also this clinic ran lots of blood test every visit, which i thought was good. The problem is I don't have the fiances to keep trying new things. but like with all of invitro it is a gamble.
Have all your questions together for when you meet with her.
hum wow.... Well we used patches, pill, and 2 injectables. I went in every 2/4 days to be monitored. I have very good results with producing 18 eggs. But I was hyper-stimulated. I have to go in before a fresh transfer to drain some fluid .
IVF 16,000... PGD 5,000 FROZEN TRANSFER 3500
She is willing to do what you really want.

PCOS, Unexplained
[Fertility Institute of New Orleans] Organized, friendly to time constraints, available after hours (weekends especially). Assign only specific nurses to certain procedures (IUI vs IVF), which is nice to know exactly who you’re dealing with... Approximately $1500 for an IUI, including all costs of tests, procedures and medication... When test results are called in, it’s always by his nurses....No social skills or compassion, but extremely organized
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Our history was known before we even met for our consults and our cycles three months in advanced were planned out day by day
No social skills or compassion, but extremely organized
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
We’ve only met with Dunaway during our consultation and procedures. Every other time I only see or speak to nurses. When test results are called in, it’s always by his nurses. He seemed to be very positive and compassionate about our situation, but I felt like he just puts all the information to the nurses
Expect to speak to nurses more than him, but that he’s ALWAYS present during appointments
Increasing my Letrozole dosage (three time as high) and including progesterone suppositories and a hormone injection, all before proceeding with IUI

Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Calming entrance and nurses and staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are suoer nice. They return phone calls ina timely fashion and are understanding when giving you news that is hard to accept. I would fully recommend them to anyone and already have a few people checking them out. Dr Dunnaway and staff also participate in sarahs laughter walks and donate many funds and treatments to winners of the raffles.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Calming entrance and nurses and staff are suoer nice. They return phone calls ina timely fashion and are understanding when giving you news that is hard to accept. I would fully recommend them to anyone and already have a few people checking them out. Dr Dunnaway and staff also participate in sarahs laughter walks and donate many funds and treatments to winners of the raffles.
He took tome to talk to each of us and listen to us like we are people.
Dr. Dunaway took time to listen to our concerns and really look through our file. We went through where we were and what we wanted our next steps to be. He understands that financial impact and has not pushed us to start the process and let us go at our own pace.
Relax. The process of infertility is stressful and we found him calming. It was nice to be seen as we are and not just another patient get through the door.
We are still in the process of finding funding for the projected ivf with isci. I went through the bloodwork testing and the ultrasounds. He works with obgyn as I had a surgery to correct a potential problem. He is ready when we are but understands that we are seeing a urologist for the male factor before we take another step.

1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Clinic's strengths [Fertility Institute of New Orleans- NO] - communication, concern, great location. Great doctors and nurses. Knowledgeable staff who genuinely cares for their patients. Weaknesses - The staff who did the retrieval downstairs was not as friendly. I asked for anti nausea meds. They forgot then blamed it on me to Dr. Lu... Usually took an hour to get monitored Bloodwork was always very quick but ultrasound took a long time.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clinic's strengths - communication, concern, great location. Great doctors and nurses. Knowledgeable staff who genuinely cares for their patients. Weaknesses - The staff who did the retrieval downstairs was not as friendly. I asked for anti nausea meds. They forgot then blamed it on me to Dr. Lu
He really cares for me and wants me to become pregnant. He even personally called me on a Saturday with results.
strengths- would always call back and with answers weakness - sometimes it took a while for her to call back
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is a very kind, knowledgeable man. He treated me with compassion and concern. I never left his office with a question or feeling unsure or doubtful about the next steps. He kept me informed every step of the way.
Be open minded to his ideas. He knows what he is doing.
We used menopur and follistim. I was skeptical of menopur due to a cancelled cycle so we did less menopur and more follistim but he explained the need for both medications. I trust him.
$12,000 for IVF

2 IUI, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Fertility Institute of NO] is great. They have several locations. They are quick to return calls and fit you in for an appointment. Everyone is professional and polite. They are all very organized. They seem to have very reliable office protocols. And they set expectations with patients very well - you know when to expect return phone calls and emails.... They worked with my insurance and I have paid about $5500 out of pocket so far.
2 IUI, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is great. They have several locations. They are quick to return calls and fit you in for an appointment. Everyone is professional and polite. They are all very organized. They seem to have very reliable office protocols. And they set expectations with patients very well - you know when to expect return phone calls and emails.
She listens, which is hugely important. She spends face to face time assessing the right plan. She is thoughtful. She has high expectations of her staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashely and Mary)
They are on top of things. They run a tight ship.
She is kind and compassionate but straight forward. She has high expectations of the staff. She is meticulous but caring. She is very thoughtful about your plan. She is a clear communicator. You can tell she thrives off of excellence and patient experience.
Be honest with her and ask her anything you want.
I ended up using donor eggs, per her recommendation. So far, I've been on BC pills for 21 days. On day 17 I started Lupron injections 20u daily. Next week I add estrogen patches as we build up to the transfer. And then start progesterone.
They worked with my insurance and I have paid about $5500 out of pocket so far.
She is open to hearing the patients thoughts but keeps patient safety in mind first and foremost.
New Orleans

Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself [for Fertility Institute of NO]. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.... We felt that the policy regarding implanting 1 vs 2 embryos was not explained to us at the time we were deciding on the number of eggs to fertilize.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.
Dr. Lu took time to explain things to us. His bedside manner was warm and welcoming. He went as far as calling us on his own time to answer questions, give clarification and address concerns we had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Alleman)
Overall very helpful and caring.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Right from our first meeting I felt that Dr. Lu cared. He did not immediately push ivf on us, which we assumed would happen. With each question or concern Dr. Lu has taken time to explain things to us. He is always very specific and chooses his words carefully. Dr. Lu is very professional and he's also very personable. We've been very satisfied with our choice of Dr. Lu as our dr so far.
Dr. Lu can sometimes talk a little fast and he likes numbers and statistics, so pay close attention!
I can't really describe this, but it did seem as though with each monitoring appointment, Dr. Lu was great with analyzing the situation and adjusting as needed. He seemed very intuitive.
Our ivf with icsi was about $15.
Dr. Lu follows their clinic policy which goes along with the state recs of putting back one embryo under a certain age and two if over. If younger he will do two after failed cycles.
Metairie

The staff [at Fertility Institute of NO- Mandeville] is extremely friendly and helpful. Sandy from ultrasound always made us feel more comfortable as she described what she was looking at and what Dr. Lu was looking for from the tests ordered. She always too the time to explain to us what was going on during our IVF journey. They have a support group that meets monthly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Sandy from ultrasound always made us feel more comfortable as she described what she was looking at and what Dr. Lu was looking for from the tests ordered. She always too the time to explain to us what was going on during our IVF journey. They have a support group that meets monthly.
He really takes the time to explain what is involved in the IVF process. He spent over an hour with my husband and I, answering our questions and making sure we understood the individualized plan he had. He also did extra testing that other clinics had not done, and saved us from attempting a third IUI, needlessly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Lisa promptly communicated with me any new information. She made sure I had the medications I needed, and was always understanding when I asked her questions when I needed clarification on information I had previously received.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu spent extra time with my husband and I to explain the entire process. He made sure that he had our entire history, and took the time to perform extra testing not offered elsewhere. He took the time to answer all of our questions and made sure we understood. He is a very caring and personable doctor.
Make sure you choose him as your doctor.
Dr. Lu strongly encouraged single embryo transfers for my age group. He explained in detail risks vs benefits.