Acupuncture is not offered

4770 S I-10 Service Rd W
Metairie, LA 70001
3525 Prytania St
New Orleans, LA 70115

We decided to take Dr. Huber's advice to transfer both embryos, since my body is a better incubator than in the laboratory. At this point in our journey, that made more sense to me as well...He was present for many of the ultrasounds to have immediate information for himself, and able to provide us an explanation of the results. He was VERY professional, but also was on a level for us to feel comfortable with him. He always took as much time as we needed, and never felt rushed!... thought outside the box, and had many "options" for another cycle; if one thing wasn't working, he'd go to Plan B, etc. We had not experience that in the previous two years of IVF cycles. We knew right away we needed his energy and expertise that not everyone fits inside the same box. An
I had one primary IVF RN coordinator throughout my process [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans]. She was VERY educated with the IVF process, medication, and able to explain things to us well. I don't feel like I was provided information on my lab results, like I should have been. I usually had to ask for the information, and learned that along the way...I had to remind them to test my thyroid, and ask if I still needed to stay on medication...In total of all of our medications and 6 rounds of IVF, we spend over $100,000, all out of pocket. Each cycle was a different cost, discussed with the finance department. Our first cycle was the most expensive, about $20,000. Each cycle, our meds cost between $5-8,000.00
How was your experience with Warren “Jay” Huber III at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
We felt at ease with him immediately. We went for a consult with Dr Huber, after having minimal success with another Dr. Dr. Huber thought outside the box, and had many "options" for another cycle; if one thing wasn't working, he'd go to Plan B, etc. We had not experience that in the previous two years of IVF cycles. We knew right away we needed his energy and expertise that not everyone fits inside the same box. And it worked! We are forever grateful for his willingness to try something new with us. I really do not have anything negative to say about Dr. Huber. I continue to occasionally contact him with updates of my pregnancy even though we have graduated from our fertility clinic, and he seems genuinely happy for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Warren “Jay” Huber III at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
This was the third fertility doctor we had consulted/worked with during our 2.5 years of IVF cycles. He had the most "fire" within him and really take everything in our case into consideration. I think all of the doctors are good and have passion for what they do, but he seemed to take it one step farther. He was always referencing studies and the latest research. My advice would be: If you have any doubt about him, consult with another dr and you'll see the difference, like we did. We wished we would have changed sooner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Warren “Jay” Huber III at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Huber always called us by our names, wasn't looking on our chart to remember my name, was ALWAYS there for us, having empathy of what we are going through, an AMAZING passion to be successful for us, and really wanted to be involved in our case. He was present for many of the ultrasounds to have immediate information for himself, and able to provide us an explanation of the results. He was VERY professional, but also was on a level for us to feel comfortable with him. He always took as much time as we needed, and never felt rushed!
Describe the protocols Warren “Jay” Huber III used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
I can't remember all the specifics, but I think we have 4 "plans." If one wasnt working, we would go with another one, etc, etc. He had a master plan for everything. He explained it easy for us to understand and always answered all of our questions. He always had a good rationale to his strategy. With our previous dr., we only had one plan. I felt more comfortable that if something wasnt working with the original plan, we had some backup plans.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
I had one primary IVF RN coordinator throughout my process. She was VERY educated with the IVF process, medication, and able to explain things to us well. I don't feel like I was provided information on my lab results, like I should have been. I usually had to ask for the information, and learned that along the way. I also dont feel like I was always told an accurate account of how my cycle was going. Beside the IVF coordinator, I felt like the other nurses treated it just like a business. My emotions ran high being there and going through this, and I just dont think I got the compassion I needed there from them.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I think the clinic has an overall good reputation. I REALLY liked the lab where I had my egg retrieval and transfer. They had so much compassion and were very kind!!! I received phone calls with results in a very timely manner. Some things were explained well, other things were not. You had to know the right questions to ask, but you didnt always know the questions to ask. I am glad I started taking notes of each visit, so I could reference it if needed. The bills that they sent me in the mail were AWFUL, explaining why I owed more money. I know this sounds stupid, but we paid everything out of pocket, over $100,000, and I felt like the cashier/check out person had no sensitivity of the costs, and understanding the emotions of spending so much money. I just did not have a good experience with her. I felt rushed and not explained my bills when she said I owed extra money. Overall, I was satisfied with the clinic, minus the compassion and explaining things well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Warren “Jay” Huber III at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Describe Warren “Jay” Huber III's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Warren “Jay” Huber III
Mandeville

The Mandeville clinic [of Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is spacious, nurses are great, and the doctor's care and really are informative and compassionate. Weaknesses would just be availability of Dr. Lu being in the Mandeville location versus Metairie can sometimes be inconvenient....First consultation and bloodwork + ultrasounds were $700 (this included genetic chromosonal testing for my husband). HSG test was $675. Post coital test, bloodwork, HCG shot + consultation was $450.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu had always explained a lot of scenarios and circumstances in the form of statistics. This helped my husband, a very logical man that enjoys facts, to understand how to process certain decisions we needed to make. I also know that he would always answer any questions we had openly and candidly, and I appreciated it so much. His bedside manner was pretty good, but I also know that sometimes we weren't ready for certain procedures, and he was very eager to do them than we were at times. That's the only conflict of any kind that had arose.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
If you want to fully understand your options, Dr. Lu will line it out very well. Also don't be afraid to ask for time to think about it and process all the statistics he provides before making these big decisions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I feel like Dr. Lu was very excited and painted the best picture of what the process would look like. Sometimes it may be more so the nurses or other staff that can tend to give a vibe of being more like a number, when it seems like it is more routine for them and a bit less personal in their interactions.
Describe the protocols Peter Lu used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Dr. Lu had first tried a trigger shot and nothing else to see if my mature follicles would mature and fertilize naturally, they did not. After that he had me on Letrozole 2.5mg paired with a trigger resulting in negative pregnancy teset. Then the next cycle 5mg of Letrozole with no trigger, resulting in a negative pregnancy test. And lastly the next cycle after that 7.5mg of Letrozole + trigger + IUI, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I would generally just say that I liked Eve, Sadie, and the lab lady in the Mandeville location. But I was never fond of having to go to the Metairie office whenever I needed to go there because that is where Dr. Lu was on that particular, because he works out of Mandeville and Metairie on certain days of the week. I didn't like the staff in Metairie, they were kinda in a rush, and at the end of the day they complained a lot around the nurses station, and you could so hear it from the patient's room.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The Mandeville clinic is spacious, nurses are great, and the doctor's care and really are informative and compassionate. Weaknesses would just be availability of Dr. Lu being in the Mandeville location versus Metairie can sometimes be inconvenient. .
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
First consultation and bloodwork + ultrasounds were $700 (this included genetic chromosonal testing for my husband). HSG test was $675. Post coital test, bloodwork, HCG shot + consultation was $450. Flat fee for monitored cycle with oral medication was $875. And our IUI which was done on a weekend so it was slightly higher than a weekday was $550.
Mandeville

Dr. Dunaway is extremely warm and will answer your questions. He is encouraging on days of retrieval and transfer. He even had a transfer "chant" that he did as he transferred our two embryos...Ask all of your questions when you have him in the room. Write the questions down. You don't see him every appointment so when you see him for consult, follow-ups and right before procedures, ask your questions.
Monitoring appointments [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] were scheduled efficiently. I enjoyed the sonographer and also phlebotomist, Angie. Professional and caring and they answered my questions...Single IVF with up to 2 transfers - $13, 850 Subsequent cycle - $7,800 ICSI - $1,975 per cycle Monitored Frozen Embryo Transfer - $3,575 PGS - $3,100
How was your experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Dunaway is warm and encouraging. He even had a transfer "chant" as he transferred our two embryos. Unfortunately we did not get the result we had hoped for and being in Louisiana, infertility treatment is not covered by insurance so we paid out of pocket. We would love to do another cycle but FINO is one of the higher end clinics and we just can't afford another cycle there on our own.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Dunaway is extremely warm and will answer your questions. He is encouraging on days of retrieval and transfer. He even had a transfer "chant" that he did as he transferred our two embryos. Sadly, we didn't become pregnant but he has great bedside manner and is warm.
Describe the protocols Heber Dunaway used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Omnitrope, Lupron, Follistim I was also on supplements prior to the retrieval - Prenatals, Vitamins C, D and E, DHEA, CoQ10, Inositol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie then Savanna)
Jackie, my initial nurse had been working with Dr. Dunaway for over 30 years and was direct and punctual with getting information to me and returning calls. After Jackie's retirement, Savanna and Ashley were hired as her successor. There was a visible learning curve and initially it took over a few days to get a call back but as they became comfortable in their roles, they became better. They are personable and warm.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Ms. Audrey at the front desk is a joy, inviting and warm. Recently, they hired another front desk associate and she isn't as inviting. It is always a pleasure when Ms. Audrey is at work and I miss her when she isn't there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled efficiently. I enjoyed the sonographer and also phlebotomist, Angie. Professional and caring and they answered my questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Describe Heber Dunaway's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Dunaway will only transfer two embryos if you are over the age of 37 and your embryos were not tested. if the embryos are tested and come back normal, he will only transfer one.

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Sartor has called me personally several times when we received bad news. She has also called me after looking at my chart and wanting to try things differently. I felt like she was thinking about out plan even when I was not in the office...She feels very strongly about single embryo transfer for the safety of mom and baby. She will allow multiple if over the age of 38 or multiple failed FETs...It does take some time for her to warm up. She is not very aggressive with treatment until she feels necessary. In the end, she truly wants to do what is best for the patient.
My biggest complaint about the [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] clinic is that they do not have an online portal. Sometimes I have a quick question that could be answered over an email, but instead I have to call, leave a message and wait for someone to call me back. It would also be nice to be able to access all of my information and test results online...IUI around $2,000-$3000. IVF around $13,000 not including medicine or genetic testing.
How was your experience with Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Sartor is very straight forward. After being a patient for over a year I felt like she really knew me and was invested in my treatment as well. I truly believe she loves what she does. She wants to help and will not stop until she gets there.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Describe the protocols Belinda "Sissy" Sartor used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Clomid with timed intercourse, IUI with injectables, IVF with FET, ERA since 2 FET did not work
The nurses were very easy to talk to it. It is extremely helpful that they have been through IVF as well. It makes it much easier for them to relate and understand what their patients are going through.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My biggest complaint about the clinic is that they do not have an online portal. Sometimes I have a quick question that could be answered over an email, but instead I have to call, leave a message and wait for someone to call me back. It would also be nice to be able to access all of my information and test results online.
They schedule you at a certain time for monitoring appointments, but will take patients at a later time if they arrive before you. So, sometimes the appointment made no sense. My work hours and their monitoring hours would also require me to have to miss work for appointments. The latest you can have your blood drawn is 2:00 which is frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Describe Belinda "Sissy" Sartor's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
We were told different prices at different times for certain procedures.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I do feel incredibly comfortable putting my situation in his hands because this doctor really knows his stuff. ... Even when my cycle was heading downhill, he never called me. ... You will never speak to Dr. Dunaway, even via e-mail, unless you make a consult. ... He will not string you along and feed you lies-he knows the business and he researches to stay on top of things. You will have to push a little to find answers for your issues, because he is there to give you difference ways to try and conceive, not really "fix you". ...
The major issue with this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is the financial aspect. NO ONE will go over the cost and options because a quick IVF consult. So you have a lot of hidden cost that will pop up during a IVF cycle and then you will have no one to talk to about the bills. ... Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is on top of her game with her paperwork, returning calls and giving you information. ... I REALLY wish this clinic has someone that you could meet with before IVF to go over all of your benefits and hidden cost.
I do feel incredibly comfortable putting my situation in his hands because this doctor really knows his stuff. He will not string you along and feed you lies-he knows the business and he researches to stay on top of things. You will have to push a little to find answers for your issues, because he is there to give you difference ways to try and conceive, not really "fix you". You will not get to see or talk to him often, so be sure to get all your questions out when you have a consult.
I would tell them to always be a advocate for yourself! Ask a million questions and push for what you want to see happen. He knows so much and has been in this business for 35+ years - use him!
Each time I needed a question answered, I would have to only go through his nurse or make a consult, which cost a lot. Even when my cycle was heading downhill, he never called me. Now, when I went to the office for a consult, he was always very informative and up on the latest protocols, which we appreciated. The only real issue I had was lack of connection to the patients. You will never speak to Dr. Dunaway, even via e-mail, unless you make a consult. I have friends at other clinics who have access to their doctor the entire IVF cycle.
We started with IUI's with injectable hormones. We used Gonal F and Menopur and both were failed cycles. Between that, I pushed for a laparoscope to see if I had silent endometriosis because of my low AMH. Turns out, I did have silent stage two endometriosis. I had a chemical the next month and no luck from there. Now, we are in a IVF cycle using the Lupron flare Protocol and my cycle is about to be canceled due to no response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is on top of her game with her paperwork, returning calls and giving you information. She will not show you that much compassion and some answers can be "matter-of-fact" but that is how the infertility game goes.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The major issue with this clinic is the financial aspect. NO ONE will go over the cost and options because a quick IVF consult. So you have a lot of hidden cost that will pop up during a IVF cycle and then you will have no one to talk to about the bills. You will go to checkout and they will tell you that you owe thousands and that is about it. I REALLY wish this clinic has someone that you could meet with before IVF to go over all of your benefits and hidden cost.
IVF was $13,000 and IUI's were $500. He will only use one pharmacy that is pretty expensive, but he feels they are the best quality.
Dr. Dunaway will only do frozen single transfers. The laws in Louisiana are difference from every other state, so you are unable to discard any eggs for any reason.
Baton Rouge

[Dr. Paul Clisham] gave us his direct number so that we could call with questions and concerns. When he didn’t pick up, he would return messages the same day. He was very supportive both on the phone and in-person, and didn’t rush appointments. He would take the time to explain procedures and medications thoroughly and answer any questions...very calming and upbeat at every appointment
In our experience [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], there was very little available on the internet (patient portals were not updates, so we always spoke to a nurse or doctor about results). Wait times can be long but the lobby is comfortable and it is usually very calm and quiet. Only very rarely have children been present in the waiting room...All of the nurses are good, a few stand out as being particularly friendly and supportive.
How was your experience with Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was very calming and upbeat at every appointment. He would let us know what he thought the best protocol would be at each step, but did give us options. He listened to concerns and took the time to explain his methods and reasoning.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Ask questions if you have them. If he doesn’t explain everything you would like to know or if anything is unclear, he is always willing to answer or elaborate on questions and procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
The doctor gave us his direct number so that we could call with questions and concerns. When he didn’t pick up, he would return messages the same day. He was very supportive both on the phone and in-person, and didn’t rush appointments. He would take the time to explain procedures and medications thoroughly and answer any questions.
Describe the protocols Paul Clisham used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Three to four IUIs were suggested (not due to insurance). He starts with oral medication and then progresses to injections as a more aggressive protocol. If the sperm count is below a certain threshold, he will suggest cancelling IUIs but ultimately leaves the decision up to the patients. If there is any indication of male factor, he will suggest reproductive urologists and has connections to several that he recommends. In our cases, he did suggest surgical procedures and repeat testing before IVF or ICSI.
All of the nurses are good, a few stand out as being particularly friendly and supportive. We felt like they did hear us when we brought up concerns or questions. They were efficient but we never felt rushed. When you call to speak to a nurse in the clinic, they don’t pick up the phone but if you leave a message they always call back the same day. They also have a separate line for IVF nurses you can call, but we have not used that line at this time.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
In our experience, there was very little available on the internet (patient portals were not updates, so we always spoke to a nurse or doctor about results). Wait times can be long but the lobby is comfortable and it is usually very calm and quiet. Only very rarely have children been present in the waiting room.
Paul Clisham

2018 - 2019, Consult
I believe [Dr. Sartor] to be knowledgeable and a good doctor, however her communication skills need to improve. She is too blunt even for me, and gets impatient when you ask a question or God forbids you interrupt her while she speaks...she was successful in diagnosing endometriosis before any IVF treatment could be performed...I definitely give her credit for saving me months of additional unnecessary suffering from endo.
The clinic [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is good overall and the staff including the doctors are knowledgeable and know what they are doing. However I believe it is more expensive than other clinics and doctor Sartor even though savvy needs to be more compassionate with her clients. She needs to improve her communication skills...The nurses were attentive and kind. Only issue was they always had a hard time to find my files
I believe doctor Sartor to be knowledgeable and a good doctor, however her communication skills need to improve. She is too blunt even for me, and gets impatient when you ask a question or God forbids you interrupt her while she speaks. I felt treated as an ignorant person rather than a quality patient. I will not be coming back if possible.
Come prepare to let her talk a lot and wait your turn to speak with specific questions.
I was refer quickly to IVF just because of my age, 34 at the time, and my numbers. Since then I have had several other doctors tell me there is ways to improve egg quality naturally and I believe this to be true.
No protocol since she was successful in diagnosing endometriosis before any IVF treatment could be performed. She refer me to a good surgeon to treat endometriosis and had a healthy surgery in December 2019. Diagnosis was based on her knowledge and it was prompt. I definitely give her credit for saving me months of additional unnecessary suffering from endo.
I went to the office only a number of times. The nurses were attentive and kind. Only issue was they always had a hard time to find my files
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is good overall and the staff including the doctors are knowledgeable and know what they are doing. However I believe it is more expensive than other clinics and doctor Sartor even though savvy needs to be more compassionate with her clients. She needs to improve her communication skills.
I didn’t undergo treatment only Diagnosis but doctor Sartor used specific codes for my billing so the insurance covered the tests/imaging done. I believe this was possible since she found evidence in my images that suggested endometriosis.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
The main thing wrong was the compassion I felt towards my questions and needs

2015 - 2018, Successful
He [Dr. Peter Lu] has to rely on his notes when he saw you...Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind...Clomid, 3 months, 1 pos pregnancy, miscarried, 1 month metronome, chemical pregnancy, 1st round of IVF, 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized, fresh transfer and frozen. 1 neg, 1 chemical. 2nd IVF round, 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, 3 made if to freeze, 1 neg, 1 pos, ended in miscarriage, about to transfer embryo 3.
During my first IVF cycle [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I was ordered to take a drug once. They didn't tell me how to take it or what time. I ended up calling the Dr on call to find out. During my 2nd IVF, they changed protocol on checking the embryos. I waited to find out how they were doing and never got a call back. I didn't find out until 2 days later that they had changed this protocol. But I was told then and it made sense. I just wish they had told me before.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He has to rely on his notes when he saw you. He shudders, but he is ok to understand. Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind.
Have questions written down before you go. He's happy to answer them, but you have to be prepared to ask them.
During medicated cycles, you were treated like a number. Which I complained about. Suddenly it got better. Doing IVF, you were a human they were very interested in.
They are nice, and willing to talk to you. One of them smokes too much, and comes in the room smelling of smoke. Also, she is a little blunt. They are caring, and called to check on me when I miscarried. They always call back very quickly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths-they are knowledgeable and have many years of experience. They are a little conservative when it comes to treatments, which is for the patient's health, but it can be annoying. Weaknesses-they need to be upfront with costs before you start treatment. Nurses need to not smoke or spray with something before coming in the rooms.
$800 per Clomid cycle $200 for post cloitle exam $12,000 for first IVF cycle $7,000 for 2nd IVF cycle
Describe Peter Lu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I had to do single transfer because of my uteral deformity.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
The nurses sometimes don't check on things before they call. I can only do natural cycles, and they constantly forget this. During my first IVF cycle, I was ordered to take a drug once. They didn't tell me how to take it or what time. I ended up calling the Dr on call to find out. During my 2nd IVF, they changed protocol on checking the embryos. I waited to find out how they were doing and never got a call back. I didn't find out until 2 days later that they had changed this protocol. But I was told then and it made sense. I just wish they had told me before.
New Orleans

Dr. Lu is very professional and knowledgeable of the profession and process. I felt safe and confident with him. I just wished he was a little more sympathetic or emotional with the patient. ... And although it costs more, he recommends ICSI as it has higher chances of embryos. ... He knew the right about of meds I should take so I wouldn't overstimulate. he knew how to monitor to the right thickness of the uterine lining.
I do not like that the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] refuses to transfer more than one embryo if you are under the age of 38. NOT FAIR ... Weaknesses - can be difficult to reach as you have to leave a message and wait for a callback, billing people are all about getting the money (even if you just miscarried), lack of compassion ... Strengths - organized, efficient, quick appts (most of the time)
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very professional and knowledgeable of the profession and process. I felt safe and confident with him. I just wished he was a little more sympathetic or emotional with the patient. Aside from that, he's a great doctor.
Be completely devoted and ready to give it your all. Dr. Lu is like a perfectionist and his treatment feels a little aggressive but I have conceived a baby on my first IVF. He's good.
All my doctor talks about is statistics and numbers. At first, it got me excited that he's so good but when things started getting emotional or if we came across a rough patch, our doctor didn't offer much sympathy. And if he did, it didn't seem genuine. But he is good at what he does.
He knew the right about of meds I should take so I wouldn't overstimulate. he knew how to monitor to the right thickness of the uterine lining. And although it costs more, he recommends ICSI as it has higher chances of embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Mary)
I love the ultrasound techs at the office. Always made me feel comfortable. My IVF nurse is a little difficult to get in contact with but when we do speak, she's easy to talk to.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths - organized, efficient, quick appts (most of the time), Dr. Lu's knowledge and professionalism Weaknesses - can be difficult to reach as you have to leave a message and wait for a callback, billing people are all about getting the money (even if you just miscarried), lack of compassion
The clinic allowed me to select the time that worked best for me but the problem was the number of appts and how it conflicted with work. Most of the time the appts were in and out but if I had to see the nurse after an ultrasound, the wait and appt was longer.
$13500 for IVF $1950 for ICSI $770 for embryo storage plus cost of consultation, blood test, semen analysis and other initial appts before the IVF process began
I think it should be the patients choice to transfer a single embryo vs. multiple as we are paying for it and going through so much. I do not like that the clinic refuses to transfer more than one embryo if you are under the age of 38. NOT FAIR
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I took an AMH test before I took a break from the clinic and waited a month with no callback. I had to call in for the results and the nurse said she forgot but was apologetic. Husband did a sperm analysis and I was waiting for results to know next steps and they forgot to call. I called in and they called back to give me the results. I was suppose to start birth control on a Sunday so they called in my med on Friday. Saturday I'm at the pharmacy and was told the script was not called in. I had to call the afterhours line to have the on-call doctor call it in. Very upset and inconvenient.
Metairie

He [Dr. Dunaway] always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line...Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly...Dr Dunaway has compassion for his patients. I’ve never felt rushed in a consult with him. He thoroughly explains procedures. He has years of experience. You are able to communicate with him through personal email and he promptly answers ANY questions the best he can. I would recommend Dr Dunaway.
Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
Do you research first to know what questions to ask. You are your biggest advocate.
Every consult with dr dunaway in person was detailed and amazing, he is great. He replies to emails promptly. Anytime I met with the nurse early in the process about taking medication cycles or iui cycles, I felt like I was just a number, I always had to figure things out on my own, frequently frustrated with the lack of detail and had surprise cost at check out. The last month has been different, we decided to do invocell/invitro and I got a whole packet of information, cost and an organized folder. It was not just on the process and procedures but on infertility in general. I wish i would have had info with iui cycle. The nurse I saw was very detailed. She answered questions I didn’t even know to ask.
He always started with the most conservative treatment suggestions however listened to you concerns and you and your partners expected time line.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The sooner you start the sooner you start getting answers. The receptionist is amazing, the clinic would not be the same without her. The nurse Cindy always gives so much detail, wish I could have seen her more. Dr Dunaway is exceptional.
Wish I would have got a price sheet of consult and standard procedure cost.
Baton Rouge

He [Dr. Dunaway] has diagnosed me with high natural killer (NK) cells ... We have met with him 3 times now and I admit that each time gets better and the last time, prior to our first IUI, he did take the time to answer every concern. ... I find him to be pretty frank but can sometimes seem impatient when explaining things - uses acronyms when full words would be more appropriate, rushes through things. ...
it [Fert Inst of NO] still uses paper charts and has no online portal so you have to ask to get your actual numbers for all the routine blood work. My biggest complaint though is that they have no designated billing department designed to talk to patients during their visits ... it is impossible to get an idea of what anything costs. ... I interact primarily with Holly [nurse] and have always found her to be knowledgeable and available
Just a bit of background, Dr. Dunaway is our second RE and we came to him after we moved to the area. We initially sought treatment after two back to back miscarriages. I will readily admit I would prefer my RE to be a woman but due to location, insurance and success rates, he seemed like a decent choice. I find him to be pretty frank but can sometimes seem impatient when explaining things - uses acronyms when full words would be more appropriate, rushes through things. When filling out my paperwork, I put my occupation was a biologist (but I mainly deal with invertebrates and my husband is a professor) so I am not sure if us having a science background influences the way he talks to us. We have met with him 3 times now and I admit that each time gets better and the last time, prior to our first IUI, he did take the time to answer every concern. He has diagnosed me with high natural killer (NK) cells but having done my own research am not fully convinced this a true cause of recurrent miscarriage. He was definitely willing to engage me in a conversation about my concerns, acknowledges that the treatment for high NK cells is experimental and his evidence is largely anecdotal - but he believes it works. I do have to mention, prior to tipping me back in the chair right before he performed my first IUI (only so far), he did ask if I was "ready for my ride?" I found this extremely inappropriate (and see my original comment about preferring a female RE) but what are you going to say to someone who is holding a syringe of your husbands sperm? Do I think he will get us pregnant? Yes. Would I have him over for dinner? Nope.
Brace yourself...and do your homework.
While the nurses (who I interactive the most) are very attentive and my primary nurse definitely knows who I am, there is no doubt that this clinic is pumping woman and couples through with what feels like pretty regimented steps - medicated cycles, IUI, IVF. I feel like you are sorted into a box and if that box doesn't work, you get moved to the next one with little reflection on whether this is really the right box for you. Part of this may come from my own insecurities regarding making the right decisions for my family, but I still feel like a human number.
We came to Dr. Dunaway on letrozole + timed intercourse cycle 3 of 4 that our previous RE had started us on after 2 miscarriages in 3 cycles. That month in addition to the 5mg for 7 days of letrozole we added 4mg/day of Estradiol starting day 12, an 10,000 iu Novarel shot on day 13 after labs and ultrasound looked good and 200 mg/day of Estrase. No pregnancy. The next cycle was anovulatory and I was told I did not respond to the letrozole. I do not have any known issues with ovulation and I really wanted to discuss that it may have been the estrogen, HCG or progesterone that that contributed to the off cycle, but no one was particularly receptive. After weighing our options with Dr. Dunaway, we decided to to try 1-2 IUI cycles before moving on to IVF. My day 3 US did show that that I had a 12mm follicle that they predicted was a cyst but they decided to move forward anyways. We did with 150 iu of Gonal F on days 5-7 and at my day 8 US, I had one follicle at 22mm. My blood work suggested this was not an overstimulated follicle and so I triggered that night with 5,000 iu of Novarel and the IUI was scheduled for the next day, cycle day 9. We are currently 7 days past trigger and 6 days past IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
This practice would not exist without the nursing staff! I interact primarily with Holly and have always found her to be knowledgeable and available when I inevitably forget to to ask something and have to call her back. She is very professional but has expressed genuine support for my husband and I. I have also seen Simone on one occasion and she also took the time to answer all of my questions and gave me as much time as I needed. I have never had an unpleasant interaction with the nurses here.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is nice and well organized but as other reviewers have mentioned, it still uses paper charts and has no online portal so you have to ask to get your actual numbers for all the routine blood work. My biggest complaint though is that they have no designated billing department designed to talk to patients during their visits, so aside from a packet with the IVF costs we were given, it is impossible to get an idea of what anything costs. And even with the packet, that does not put it into the context of your insurance. Our previous RE would not let you leave the office without a trip to the patient billing coordinator and so you never had any surprise costs. The idea is brilliant and shows so much respect for patients. We are fortunate to have good fertility coverage from my employer but I still want to know what everything costs.
Every time I go to the office, I have a copay of $23.90 - $30 per visit and every few visits I have to pay for 2-3 visits (I would prefer to pay each visit). For prescriptions, I pay $10 for 60 pills of Estradiol, and the first cycle I paid $120 total for 24 100mg progesterone suppositories and 10,000 iu of Novarel but the second cycle it was only $60 for both. I paid $35 each for the Gonal F and Centrotide (which I did not end up using). They have yet to process my IUI claim. If we are to get pregnant from the IUI (or IVF in the future) the treatment for the high NK cells is $2500 per bag of immunoglobin which we have been told by Dr. Dunaway insurance will not cover. He recommends 3 bags.
My understanding is the law (not sure if this is federal or Louisiana state) now states that you can only transfer 2 embryos if you are 38 or over and forgo genetic testing (PGS). Prior to this I believe he was pro multiple transfer.
Baton Rouge

He [Dr. Steven Taylor] told me it looked like I would get pregnant with triplets on my first cycle of Clomid. I spent the 2ww convinced I could get pregnant. When I informed the office that it failed, he wasn't surprised and said because my lining was so thin, it made sense.... He certainly failed to tell me that at the appointment when he reviewed my ultrasound... He was too optimistic when I just needed my doctor to be honest and realistic with me.
This clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a monthly support group that is wonderful. One of the nurses facilitates it on her free time. The Mandeville location is very personal and small enough to where they recognize you and remember your name but big enough to where you can trust their lab technology and they are up to date on procedures...Some nurses were incredible, others were incredibly insensitive. One called me to inform me (during my 2ww of a treatment month) that "when your period starts, call us because we have a plan for your next month."...
How was your experience with Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I was very disappointed with him. He told me it looked like I would get pregnant with triplets on my first cycle of Clomid. I spent the 2ww convinced I could get pregnant. When I informed the office that it failed, he wasn't surprised and said because my lining was so thin, it made sense.... He certainly failed to tell me that at the appointment when he reviewed my ultrasound. I didn't even know I had a problem with lining before clomid but my preliminary testing showed thin lining but he chose Clomid (which causes thinner lining) anyway. Then he told me everything looked perfect. I was devastated and angry.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
When test results come in, you have to ask "is anything LESS than PERFECT"... and interrogate them to be sure to understand your situation : ( Even after I learned to ask that question, I wasn't fully informed of my less than perfect test results during a treatment cycle. He was too optimistic when I just needed my doctor to be honest and realistic with me. Family and friends are for optimism, not your doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was good at communication. He was sensitive.
Describe the protocols Steven Taylor used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
I came in with male factor infertility (corrected by surgery) and stage 1 endometriosis. He put me on Clomid (even though my lining without treatment was thin). My post coitals always came back good, so we never were recommended an IUI. He then put me on Letrozole which didn't give my body much of a reaction. I changed doctors after that. He was a bit too optimistic.
Some nurses were incredible, others were incredibly insensitive. One called me to inform me (during my 2ww of a treatment month) that "when your period starts, call us because we have a plan for your next month." I was dumbfounded and asked if they had reason to believe that their previous treatment shouldn't have worked and she said "no." On another occasion, I asked what an AMH was and what my level meant and the nurse told me I would have to go to college to understand it!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a monthly support group that is wonderful. One of the nurses facilitates it on her free time. The Mandeville location is very personal and small enough to where they recognize you and remember your name but big enough to where you can trust their lab technology and they are up to date on procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Taylor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Initial consult was $215. Ultrasound around $120. Blood work was around $30 for each hormone level checked. Injection months were $1250 flat rate (before ovulation) for all blood work and ultrasounds. Post coitals were $87.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
My ultrasound showed very thin lining (5.0) during my Clomid month. Dr Taylor told me everything looked perfect and he didn't see any reason why I shouldn't get pregnant. After the cycle failed, he said he wanted to change the treatment because my lining was so bad. How did he fail to see that when he reviewed the results the first time?
Steven Taylor

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Sartor is very kind and extremely knowledgeable. She was honest about my chances of conceiving with my own eggs, but did so in a gentle manner. She told me pretty early on in treatment that donor egg route was my best chance. She was always positive and hopeful.... I started on Lupron injections, followed by bravelle and menopur every evening for 13 days. I was taking 4 vials each and that was adjusted throughout the 13 days. I wound up with 8 eggs on this cycle and 7 of them fertilized. By day 5, transfer day, I had 4 embryos left of varying quality. I transferred 3 (I was 40 years old at the time of transfer) and froze 1.
Strengths of the clinic [FINO-Metairie] are the number of knowledgeable doctors available and the treatment options. The biggest weakness I found was that it was just too big of a clinic. I would have preferred to see the doctor at every appointment. I needed to feel like I was the most important patient at the time of my treatment and not just a number. For me, I just needed a smaller setting.
Be your own advocate. Ask any questions you can think of and expect an honest answer.
Dr. Sartor was always willing to listen and answer any questions I had. I never felt like a bother. She was very understanding and compassionate with my miscarriages as well.
I don't remember the name of the protocol used. I started on Lupron injections, followed by bravelle and menopur every evening for 13 days. I was taking 4 vials each and that was adjusted throughout the 13 days. I wound up with 8 eggs on this cycle and 7 of them fertilized. By day 5, transfer day, I had 4 embryos left of varying quality. I transferred 3 (I was 40 years old at the time of transfer) and froze 1. I did get pregnant from this cycle, but lost the baby due to miscarriage at around the 7 week mark.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary was very thorough and kind throughout the process. I often called with questions and she always got back to me the same day with answers. My issue came into play after I received news of a drug recall due to possible lack of potency. When I questioned this I was given a very defensive answer. She told me that Dr. Sartor had been aware of the possible lack of potency and adjusted my dose accordingly. I feel like I should have been made aware of the adjustments and reasons for them so that I could decide if I wanted to proceed with cycle as such or look into other protocol. I feel like I should have been notified of the recall by the clinic and not the pharmaceutical company.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths of the clinic are the number of knowledgeable doctors available and the treatment options. The biggest weakness I found was that it was just too big of a clinic. I would have preferred to see the doctor at every appointment. I needed to feel like I was the most important patient at the time of my treatment and not just a number. For me, I just needed a smaller setting.
The medications cost me around $7000 in total. I had to order more than originally thought necessary. The procedure itself was right around $12000 and I added ICSI which was another $1750. There were different packages available for multiple cycles that would have been slightly discounted.
Due to my age at transfer being 40, Dr. Sartor and I had agreed to transfer up to 3 embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I had an issue with a recalled drug that I was using in treatment. The nurse told me the doctor was aware of the possible impotency of the drug and adjusted my dosage accordingly. Problem was I was never told of this. I only found out about the recall because of a pharmaceutical letter. I did research the situation further and was able to get a percentage refunded from what I spent on the drug. The drugs used are expensive and the clinic should have alerted all patients on the drug that a percentage refund was possible. I would still consider using FINO, but I would request a different nurse.

2011 - 2014, Successful
I appreciated Dr Sartors experience and knowledge of the practice, however I didn’t always feel as if she was sensitive to the hormonal emotions involved - specifically depression. Dr Sartor seemed to be very well versed in the numbers and statistics, however pinning her down to explain something in layman’s terms felt difficult to schedule and sometimes even harder to understand....Have your questions ready, she may not go out of her way to discuss topics that she might not consider relevant.
I felt like the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] was overcrowded, overbooked, and very difficult to communicate. Every phone call required a hold or transfer or message that would be returned hours later. I wished that there could have been an online messaging system....I was allowed to pay as I went for IUI, however the clinic wanted payment in full up front for the IVF (my out of pocket max) and then we settled insurance later
I appreciated Dr Sartors experience and knowledge of the practice, however I didn’t always feel as if she was sensitive to the hormonal emotions involved - specifically depression. Dr Sartor seemed to be very well versed in the numbers and statistics, however pinning her down to explain something in layman’s terms felt difficult to schedule and sometimes even harder to understand. Not her fault, but I felt my diagnosis didn’t come until after my final failed IUI before moving on to IVF, I’m unsure if that is just an unfortunate part of the process or if that was a product of her method of practice to seek pregnancy over diagnosis.
Listen. Have your questions ready, she may not go out of her way to discuss topics that she might not consider relevant.
While extremely happy with the results of our treatment, I always felt the goal with Dr Sartor was the quickest alternative to pregnancy. However, at times I would have preferred knowing why we couldn’t get pregnant on our own or what we could have been doing different naturally.
My insurance required 6 rounds of IUI before moving to IVF. Dr Sartor would have progressed us to IVF sooner (after 3 IUI). The medications increased with each failed IUI, this was mostly do to follicle response. Each failed IUI cycle the number of follicles and readiness in size improved with the changes in dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary and Ashley)
Mary was a much better communicator than Ashley when it came to questions about the treatment course and expectations for the ultrasounds and bloodwork and medications. Ashley was best at scheduling and assisting with the chart.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This was the only clinic available to me at the time, before Audubon was in practice. I do like that FINO is in Metairie as opposed to Mid-City. However, I felt like the clinic was overcrowded, overbooked, and very difficult to communicate. Every phone call required a hold or transfer or message that would be returned hours later. I wished that there could have been an online messaging system.
I was enrolled in a High Deductible Health Savings Plan, I paid out of pocket up to 3000 depending on the plan year and then all other expenses were covered 100%. I was allowed to pay as I went for IUI, however the clinic wanted payment in full up front for the IVF (my out of pocket max) and then we settled insurance later
We were able to transfer two embryos at our discretion before the laws had changed to only allow one. There wasn’t much discussion or emphasis on her preference as to whether we transferred 1 or 2. I seem to remember transferring two was just the thing to do at the time.
New Orleans

I felt he [Dr. Peter Lu] took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number...He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI...
The nurses [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are knowledgeable about the process...$1385 for IUI and labs...$150 in medication...The parking for the clinic is horrible. You will have a difficult time trying to find somewhere to park. The staff is quick with check ins and taking labs. The privacy aspect is not completely private, you can guess what others are there for during the visit...
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI. He took his time to explain to me and my wife how he could help us in the process. Unfortunately, the IUI didn't turn into a pregnancy so we will be doing a follow up appointment to see what our next step will be.
When you first meet him, put all your cards on the table with expectations and concerns with the process.
I felt he took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number.
When I started the process with him in December 2017, it was discovered I had a cyst, in which birth control was prescribed to make it smaller. This process last until the end of February. I was put on Letozole 7.5mg for 5 days , wait for 5 days to do ultrasounds to check follicle size and I took Pregnyl on March 2 and I was inseminated on March 3
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Charlene)
The nurses are knowledgeable about the process.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
$1385 for IUI and labs $270 for co payments for the treatment of cyst $150 in medication
2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation...Iui with oral medications...All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests...Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions.
[Fertility Institute of New Orleans is] Clean and accommodating...Sometime long wait times...My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Dr Dunaway was kind and very informative. Good bed side manner, much better than previous doctors. He was quick to suggest surgery but I believe he really thought it would help my situation. Unfortunately, 4.5 years of infertility and we are still not pregnant
Office visits are fairly time consuming, longer waits then expected on a few occasions. If you are doing a iui, have your husband collect the sample at the office and not off premise. The wait to collect my husbands sample was extremely long and I feel it may have cost us a successful cycle
Dr Dunaway was very kind and informative. He seemed to care about trying to figure of my unexplained secondary fertility of 4 years. His nurse is nice but is a bit dry and not overly helpful.
Iui with oral medications. It was our third iui and medications where champagne increased each cycle. All 3 ended in negative pregnancy tests
Nice but not overly helpful or caring. Felt more like a number with the nurse staff
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clean and accommodating Sometime long wait times My fourth cycle was cancelled due to Zika, the problem with this was I had to go in for an appointment, charged for an ultrasound, waited 20 minutes to speak with the nurse, to then only be told th cycle would have to be cancelled. I feel that this information should have been discussed prior to my appointment
Approximately: Ultrasounds- $200 x 4-5 Blood work- $1,000 Medications- $1,000 IUI- $700 Sperm testing- $400
2015 - 2017, Successful
Educate yourself on procedures, medications, etc. Research. Dr. Lu is a total pro but sometimes he speaks quickly so it helps if you have a little understanding and can keep up...very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients...Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit.
Typically short wait times [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is hugely knowledgeable and sweet. My only issue is that I feel he may have had too many patients to really retain an understanding of each patient. Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit. Thank goodness for charts and record keeping! Overall he is an awesome doctor and we wouldn’t have our beautiful baby girl without him.
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Typically short wait times, which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
We bought a package that allowed us 2 attempts. It was somewhere around 10 thousand. This does not include medications, which are also very costly.
Having two babies at once is hard! Both the pregnancy and afterwards with twins (or more!). It’s safer to hope for a healthy Singleton.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Sartor is good at what she does. Her curt bedside manner might not be for all, but she knows what she is doing and will give you a clear concise course of action to get you pregnant. We saw her for a long time through both IUIs and IVF.... We started with IUIs because we were both young and had no known fertility issues (we are a lesbian couple). After several attempts without success we decided to move onto IVF cycles. We did two egg retrievals. After the first egg retrieval, we had five embroys.
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is conveniently located and very experienced. You need to make sure you are responsible for your own schedule though. They will give you a schedule, but you need to stay on top of it and your meds. Mary and Ashley are very helpful.... Egg Retrieval cycles were about $16,000 all in (including medicine). FRET cycles are about $4,000 all in.... Dr. Sartor is good at what she does. Her curt bedside manner might not be for all, but she knows what she is doing
Be prepared for a no nonsense approach to your treatment. She is very direct and won't mince words.
Dr. Sartor is direct, but clear when she goes through your care.
We started with IUIs because we were both young and had no known fertility issues (we are a lesbian couple). After several attempts without success we decided to move onto IVF cycles. We did two egg retrievals. After the first egg retrieval, we had five embroys. We did two transfers resulting in two miscarriages. With only one embryo left, we opted to do another egg retrieval. This time we got a lot of eggs and about 19 embryos. We used two and elected to freeze the best ten and nine made it. We got pregnant for twins in that fresh cycle after the egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is conveniently located and very experienced. You need to make sure you are responsible for your own schedule though. They will give you a schedule, but you need to stay on top of it and your meds. Mary and Ashley are very helpful.

2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I felt like a human, when i got hyper-stimulated, Dr Sartor gave me her cell number because i was so sick. she went above for me and didn't have to...I loved Dr. Sartor. She is a very smart and brilliant. Unfortunately sometimes I thought her work load was too much. At this clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] you deal with the nurses alot more. But when I did have time with her it was amazing. She always had something new she was willing to do to try again. Also this clinic ran lots of blood test every visit, which i thought was good. The problem is I don't have the fiances to keep trying new things. but like with all of invitro it is a gamble.
IVF 16,000... PGD 5,000 FROZEN TRANSFER 3500...Hyper-stimulation, PGD test after embryos had been frozen, trouble transferring paperwork...I find the nursing staff [at FINO] to be too busy for the amount of patients they have. They did always return calls that day when i was a cycle patient. But I felt more like a number to them then I did Dr. Sartor
I loved Dr. Sartor. She is a very smart and brilliant. Unfortunately sometimes I thought her work load was too much. At this clinic you deal with the nurses alot more. But when I did have time with her it was amazing. She always had something new she was willing to do to try again. Also this clinic ran lots of blood test every visit, which i thought was good. The problem is I don't have the fiances to keep trying new things. but like with all of invitro it is a gamble.
Have all your questions together for when you meet with her.
hum wow.... Well we used patches, pill, and 2 injectables. I went in every 2/4 days to be monitored. I have very good results with producing 18 eggs. But I was hyper-stimulated. I have to go in before a fresh transfer to drain some fluid .
I find the nursing staff to be too busy for the amount of patients they have. They did always return calls that day when i was a cycle patient. But I felt more like a number to them then I did Dr. Sartor
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Stengths- busy, everything flows easy from blood, to ultrasound to lab etc. weaknesses- too busy, didn't help find the cheapest med med options.
IVF 16,000... PGD 5,000 FROZEN TRANSFER 3500
She is willing to do what you really want.
Metairie

We’ve only met with Dunaway during our consultation and procedures. Every other time I only see or speak to nurses. When test results are called in, it’s always by his nurses. He seemed to be very positive and compassionate about our situation, but I felt like he just puts all the information to the nurses... Expect to speak to nurses more than him, but that he’s ALWAYS present during appointments
[Fertility Institute of New Orleans] Organized, friendly to time constraints, available after hours (weekends especially). Assign only specific nurses to certain procedures (IUI vs IVF), which is nice to know exactly who you’re dealing with... Approximately $1500 for an IUI, including all costs of tests, procedures and medication... When test results are called in, it’s always by his nurses....No social skills or compassion, but extremely organized
Our history was known before we even met for our consults and our cycles three months in advanced were planned out day by day
Increasing my Letrozole dosage (three time as high) and including progesterone suppositories and a hormone injection, all before proceeding with IUI
No social skills or compassion, but extremely organized
Baton Rouge

Dr Dunaway offered his email for us to send in any additional questions and was very ready to answer and and all we asked. ... When we met for the consultation he seemed very knowledgeable and concerned as to why we have not had success. He truly seemed like he wants to put together a plan based on previous attempts to help us conceive. ... We haven’t started the actual IVF cycle yet, but the initial appointment and workup was very smooth.
Great office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] and atmosphere. Friendly staff and knowledgeable doctor [Dr. Dunaway]. ... You feel as if you are somewhere where they know what they are doing. It has a warm, welcoming tone and smiling faces to greet you. ... The nursing staff I was in contact with were all very attentive and nice. Very personable and seemed to be willling to help. ...
We haven’t started the actual IVF cycle yet, but the initial appointment and workup was very smooth. Great office and atmosphere. Friendly staff and knowledgeable doctor. Dr Dunaway offered his email for us to send in any additional questions and was very ready to answer and and all we asked.
Ask questions
We are in the process of potentially starting an IVF cycle, more details to come on this!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The atmosphere of the waiting room and office itself is very calm and professional. You feel as if you are somewhere where they know what they are doing. It has a warm, welcoming tone and smiling faces to greet you.
The consultation fee was $215
We have not reached this point yet in the process here
2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Dunaway is very knowledgeable and always seemed to be understanding with every obstacle we encountered. He knows us by name and I always feel like he truly cared on a personal level. We have done 3 IUIs with him and all have failed, with each failed attempt, he has come back with a different game plan.... We do ultrasound on day 2, letrozole on 3-7. Another ultrasound on CD 10 and IUI on CD15-17... Be open to his opinions, do your research, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is amazing. They are quick to answer questions and always show compassion. The receptionist, Audrey, has come around the counter hugged and prayed with me. I can;t say enough good things about the staff.... Dr. Dunaway is very knowledgeable and always seemed to be understanding with every obstacle we encountered. He knows us by name and I always feel like he truly cared on a personal level. We have done 3 IUIs with him and all have failed, with each failed attempt, he has come back with a different game plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Simone)
The staff is amazing. They are quick to answer questions and always show compassion. The receptionist, Audrey, has come around the counter hugged and prayed with me. I can;t say enough good things about the staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
As a new patient I went in very prepared with a folder I made of all previous workups and tests. Dr. Dunaway immediately looked into my results and gave me a game plan from day one of meeting him. We talked about what I was/wasn't comfortable with and I left feeling confident.
iui-500 medicated cycle-885
Baton Rouge

He is an old school doctor [Dr. Ron Clisham] and lets you know percentage wise how possible the options are. He is knowledgeable maybe not on the most recent trends like mucinex,pineapple and aspirin. He was on vacation for a conference to increase his knowledge base...He confused me with other patients a lot when he returned or made phone calls...We started with a small dose of clomid and my eggs did not get big fast enough so we cancelled the follistim but you have to buy it in advance and it is not cheap. We decided to do the hcg trigger shot because my eggs eventually grew bigger. Ultrasounds every 3 days and either sex or iui when the blood work signaled.
You cannot start [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] until the genetic screen is done and it’s not always covered under insurance and it’s quite expensive....They have numerous specialists but the wait time is long. I am never there less than an hour even for an ultrasound or blood work. They were a little unorganized, I went for blood work one day and they stated I needed two tests and the order only said one. ...Over $1,300 for clomid with monitoring and hcg trigger shot...
He is an old school doctor and lets you know percentage wise how possible the options are. He is knowledgeable maybe not on the most recent trends like mucinex,pineapple and aspirin. He was on vacation for a conference to increase his knowledge base.
Speak up for what you want.
He confused me with other patients a lot when he returned or made phone calls.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They have numerous specialists but the wait time is long. I am never there less than an hour even for an ultrasound or blood work. They were a little unorganized, I went for blood work one day and they stated I needed two tests and the order only said one. My house stand went for blood work and we were there over an hour. You cannot start until the genetic screen is done and it’s not always covered under insurance and it’s quite expensive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Costs for doctor visits, blood work, ultrasounds, drugs. Over $1,300 for clomid with monitoring and hcg trigger shot.
Paul Clisham
New Orleans

Dr. Lu has been very understanding and helpful in our situation. He has thoroughly discissed our options with us and made us feel reassured along the way. It is obvious that he is highly experienced and extremely passionate about helping his patients.... We plan to do a single embryo transfer. After speaking with Dr. Lu, it is the best option given my age.... Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. He is happy to answer!
The clinic staff [Fertility Inst of New Orleans] is friendly and as accomodating as possible. The only confusion we have experienced has been related to the cost of treatments. They are happy to assist and answer our questions. Clinic is easy to get to.... Each round of IUI cost around $4000 (including medications). IVF cycle is currently at $25000 (including medications)... We plan to do a single embryo transfer.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. He is happy to answer!
He and his staff have taken the time to sensitively, yet thoroughly and honestly explain every step of our process.
The entire staff has been very supportive and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic staff is friendly and as accomodating as possible. The only confusion we have experienced has been related to the cost of treatments. They are happy to assist and answer our questions. Clinic is easy to get to.
Mandeville

Dr. Lu is a good doctor. He explains things scientifically and I felt like he did want us to conceive. It is important to ask question along the process to make sense of a lot of complicated information. He will answer your questions and make sure you understand the course of action and next steps....The strategy for me was injection medications. I was not receptive to Clomid....I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference.
Very easy to schedule appointments [at Fert Inst of NO], but the parking lot filled up fast. I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference. The staff was friendly and quick. I never waited very long in the waiting room before I was seen...[Nursing staff] The were caring and thorough, but at times I felt had a lot of patients and things felt rushed....[treatment costs] around 15,000...Dr. Lu is a good doctor. He explains things scientifically and I felt like he did want us to conceive.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
The strategy for me was injection medications. I was not receptive to Clomid.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Very easy to schedule appointments, but the parking lot filled up fast. I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference. The staff was friendly and quick. I never waited very long in the waiting room before I was seen.
around 15,000