Acupuncture is not offered

4770 S I-10 Service Rd W
Metairie, LA 70001
3525 Prytania St
New Orleans, LA 70115

I have never waited very long in the waiting room [at Fertility Institute of NO -Metairie]. I feel like they are organized and helpful. My only compliant is maybe the billing because my insurance covers infertility some times I see things that were billed that I am not sure about and its not easy to talk to the billing dept at this clinic. But they are always corrected after speaking to someone
How was your experience with Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I feel my experience as a patient has been great! I have been treated well! Dr Clishman calls me personally to discuss results and treatment options and I see him at most of my appointments. He is very involved!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Don't be scared to ask a lot of questions even if you think it is a stupid question and do a lot of research on your own, that's with any doctor really. I feel Dr Clishman is very knowledgeable but he talks in dr terms and it is a lot of information to take in at one time so take notes and keep a fertility journal
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I feel like Dr Clishman really cares, he always been kind and seemed concerned and he has always remembered my name
Describe the protocols Paul Clisham used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Same day after the first initial consultation I did an exam and blood work and my husband did a semen analysis. I scheduled an HSG. after the HSG came back clear, we did more blood work, progesterone testing, and mucus testing, all test came back good so we decided to keep trying on our own for a few months then after no results Dr Clishman asked us to try a medicated IUI. I went in for ultrasounds and bloodwork every other day and the IUI was on day 14 when I usually ovulate on day 12 so that was my only real concern. I had 4 good follicles so we were hopeful but no pregnancy. We waited a few months and then did a second IUI and this time it was done on day 12 but only 1 follicle and no pregnancy. At this point Dr Clishman thinks it is age related and asked if we wanted to try another IUI and I said no we would like to start the IVF process and he agreed so that is our next step. success rates with IUI are so low that it just does not make sense to me to continue trying them especially with my age being a factor. Dr Clishman has always made us feel comfortable and has been open to whatever we wanted to try
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They always return calls, are very knowledgeable and answer all of my questions
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I have never waited very long in the waiting room. I feel like they are organized and helpful. My only compliant is maybe the billing because my insurance covers infertility some times I see things that were billed that I am not sure about and its not easy to talk to the billing dept at this clinic. But they are always corrected after speaking to someone
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Clisham at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My insurance covers 80% . I have had very little out of pocket expense
Describe Paul Clisham's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We have not got that far yet
2010 - 2019, Successful
Investment Banker
Dr. Clisham provides top notch care. He is extremely detailed and thorough throughout the entire treatment. He is always up to date on new, innovative practices occurring in the industry and takes a conservative approach to fertility. He only does what is in the patient's best interest. Dr. Clisham always remembered my personal details and would personally call me with all lab results or simply to check in...The wait time to see the doctor is extremely minimal - usually 10 to 15 minutes maximum. I saw Dr. Clisham as my primary care provider for 10 years due to my PCOS before trying to get pregnant. I
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is extremely well run. They were always able to get me appointments with the doctor that worked for my schedule. Any time I had to leave a message for the nurse's desk, I received a call back within an hour...The clinic has a boutique feel in that you are treated so gently and kindly by all of the staff. The wait time to see the doctor is extremely minimal - usually 10 to 15 minutes maximum...
I always say that patients who go to this clinic receive the royal treatment. The clinic has a boutique feel in that you are treated so gently and kindly by all of the staff. The wait time to see the doctor is extremely minimal - usually 10 to 15 minutes maximum. I saw Dr. Clisham as my primary care provider for 10 years due to my PCOS before trying to get pregnant. I truly believe that it was Dr. Clisham's excellent care that preserved my fertility. Not only did he routinely provide detailed check ups beyond the scope of what a regular OB/GYN does, but he was constantly altering my medications depending on my hormone fluctuations. When the time came to conceive, Dr. Clisham provided me with thorough guidance and set realistic expectations. I am constantly referring friends and family to Clisham for all of their fertility needs. He is smart, knowledgeable, well-studied, and does what is best for his patients. I truly couldn't recommend Dr. Clisham enough. I am now 24 weeks pregnant and have him to thank!
Go to Dr. Clisham and see him regularly. He WILL help you to conceive.
The nursing staff is excellent. They are warm and compassionate. They never acted like strangers.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is extremely well run. They were always able to get me appointments with the doctor that worked for my schedule. Any time I had to leave a message for the nurse's desk, I received a call back within an hour.
I paid for anything not covered by my insurance. I do not remember exact costs.
Metairie
She [Dr.Sartor] is active throughout our whole IVF process...my husband and I decided we wanted to jump straight to IVF instead of IUI...She explained the IVF process as we went along and answered all of our questions...I needed surgery to correct my septate uterus...My first and only embryo transfer was March 2020 and ended in a chemical pregnancy...
[nurse of Fertility Institute of New Orleans] make sure I have all the information I need and answer all of my questions...never have to wait long to get my bloodwork/ultrasound or for a meeting with the doctor...[estimate cost] It was about $14,000 for egg retrieval and two cycles. Then about $4000 for meds. $1,800 for ICIS. Another $2000 for my surgery on my septate uterus. The about $500 in copays and other necessary medicine...
How was your experience with Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I really like Dr. Sartor. She is active throughout our whole IVF process. She explained the IVF process as we went along and answered all of our questions. I feel like she cares about her patients which is important to us. I have referred her to other friends who are having fertility issues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions even if you think it’s minor. Sometimes it’s best to ask if you think it’s best for you. She may agree or give you reasons why it can’t/shouldn’t be done.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I felt like that really listened to me. I was updated in everything that was going on with my treatment. Everyone in the office is so nice and friendly.
Describe the protocols Belinda "Sissy" Sartor used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
In August 2019, we started with two months of Femara. That didn’t work for us. Then in October 2019 my husband and I decided we wanted to jump straight to IVF instead of IUI. In November 2019, I needed surgery to correct my septate uterus. Once my uterus was healed we started IVF in January. We had my egg retrieval at the end of January 2020 . My first and only embryo transfer was March 2020 and ended in a chemical pregnancy. Now I’m waiting on my next cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary and Ashley )
I really like Mary and Ashley. They make sure I have all the information I need and answer all of my questions. They are super friendly and very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I think my clinic sees a lot of people but always makes you feel important. I like that are made to feel comfortable in our clinic. I never have to wait long to get my bloodwork/ultrasound or for a meeting with the doctor. As a new patient I would make sure to ask questions. Write them down and have them ready. You should be your own advocate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Belinda "Sissy" Sartor at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It was about $14,000 for egg retrieval and two cycles. Then about $4000 for meds. $1,800 for ICIS. Another $2000 for my surgery on my septate uterus. The about $500 in copays and other necessary medicine. This is all an estimate and not exact numbers.
Metairie
Dr. Sartor was very nice and down to earth. She was also very honest with me from the beginning about how my treatment could work and the possibility of it not working...I was on Letrozole for 5 days. After that I moved on to injections... she got me to do additional injections of the Gonal-f to help make my eggs grow...She went with this route to try to get as many eggs to mature on my left ovary because I only had one tube...Unfortunately the cycle failed
I did not have a primary nurse [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans]. However they [nurses] were all fantastic. They were so helpful and always answered my silly questions...[cost] $2500 for IUI...I felt like a human because Dr. Sartor and the nurses truly cared for me. They made me feel so comfortable with everything that was going on...she deeply listened to my concerns and fears
Dr. Sartor was very nice and down to earth. She was also very honest with me from the beginning about how my treatment could work and the possibility of it not working. I felt like she deeply listened to my concerns and fears. She has such a good heart. I had an amazing experience with Dr. Sartor!!
Ask anything!! She will answer any questions you have and help you understand better.
I was on Letrozole for 5 days. After that I moved on to injections. I was monitored almost daily with lab work and ultrasounds. Dr. Sartor got me to do additional injections of the Gonal-f to help make my eggs grow. I gave myself a shot to delay ovulation. Then lastly I injected an HCG shot. She went with this route to try to get as many eggs to mature on my left ovary because I only had one tube. So I needed to ovulate from my left ovary. Unfortunately the cycle failed but I do believe Dr. Sartor did everything she could!
The nurses were fabulous! I did not have a primary nurse. However they were all fantastic. They were so helpful and always answered my silly questions. They made me feel at home.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is wonderful. I believe they really have a good system of how they do things. They have some very amazing doctors. Although I’ve only seen Dr. Sartor, I’ve done a little research on the other doctors as well. They seem very knowledgeable and down to earth. I definitely recommend anyone searching for a fertility clinic to check this one out. The staff is great!! As far as weaknesses, I really don’t think they have any. They truly made me feel like family.
$2500 for IUI

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Dunaway] is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
The only complaint I have ever had is that they [Fert Inst of NO - BR] don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. ...I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures....For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950.
How was your experience with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is kind & compassionate. The first times I went he seemed rushed, but now he seems to take his time & he always asks if I have any questions before he ends the consult. He has a good sense of humor too, and only uses it when appropriate. I am overweight & I worried how he would treat me because of that, but he has been nothing but compassionate. Even when talking about my weight, he is able to do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like a horrible person! I am so happy he is my doctor. I trust him 100%.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Even if it seems like he is finished with your consult, he will absolutely stop & answer any questions that you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
They genuinely care about you, it is very noticeable. Since fall of 2016 when I became a patient there, I have never felt rushed or that the nurse/doctor was annoyed with me in any way. My doctor was waiting when I was wheeled out after my egg retrieval & gave me a high-five. Another time, I started crying when I realized I didn't owe as much money as I thought I did & the receptionist came around the desk & hugged me. And I can hear the sadness in my nurse's voice when she calls with bad news. They seem to get it & they rejoice with you when you get good news, and they are sad with you when you don't. I definitely feel like they want this for me, too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie )
I love Mrs. Jackie! She definitely makes me feel like she cares about me & about the outcome of my procedures. She's so nice, and I can hear the sadness or excitement in her voice when she calls with bad or good news. I love the entire nursing staff, though. I have worked with Holly, Simone & Cindy, and they've all been so sweet. I worked with Jackie & Simone the most. Angela is the one who draws your blood, and I always laughed & talked with her. Love the staff!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The only complaint I have ever had is that they don't set appointments for labs/ultrasounds. They just tell everyone to come within a certain time frame in the morning. Because of this there is often a wait. At my last RE office, you had an appointment for everything, and I don't think I ever waited longer than 10 minutes, and it was usually less than that! For procedures the wait wasn't bad, but it could be awhile for the monitoring appointments. That being said... they make up for this one thing in every other area!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It did run smoothly as far as you being called to the back, getting your labs done, getting your ultrasound done, and checking out - however, the wait before you were called to the back could be a bit long.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Heber Dunaway at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
For my IVF cycle, I chose Single Cycle Plus which included an egg retrieval and two transfers (the second transfer is included if your first transfer doesn't work or results in a miscarriage). The cost was $12,950. This didn't include the consult which was around $210. It also didn't include some tests/labs that add up to be about $1200 (although you don't have to do these if they've been done already at a previous clinic within the last year). And it doesn't include meds which can range from $5-$7k (or more if you do not respond to the meds). Plus we chose to do ICSI which was another $1200.
Describe Heber Dunaway's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
For me, he always transferred 2 at a time, that was his stance & his protocol for a long time unless the individual situation caused him to only transfer one. However, now he can only transfer one due to Louisiana regulations, unless you are over a certain age (I think 38).
Baton Rouge

Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable. He is down to earth and talks to you like you are a friend not a patient. He stutters but is not hard to follow what he is saying. It’s more like his mouth can’t keep up with what his brain wants to say. He talks to both partners and explains in detail what treatment he recommends. He takes his time with talking to you and will answer any questions.
This clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.... r Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Take notes on what he says. He can cover so much information that it’s hard to remember it all sometimes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Staff is very pleasant and personable. They seem to be excited for us when we were able to start treatment.
Describe the protocols Peter Lu used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
We went to Dr. Lu interested in his donor embryo program. He was very happy for us to adopt embryos and work with us. After we ran bloodwork to be matched with donors, we did an shg and then began a fet cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendy (nurse) then Lisa (ivf nurse))
Dr Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I had to pay for initial consult & testing & then fet cost.
Describe Peter Lu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Lu was very adamant that he would only transfer 1 embryo at a time. He explained that the risks of a multiple pregnancy was much higher than a singleton pregnancy.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The ivf nurse failed to call in the birth control to get my fet cycle started. We had a couple of days before I was to start taking it so I just reminded her & she called it in immediately after that.
Mandeville

Right from our first meeting I felt that Dr. Lu cared. He did not immediately push ivf on us, which we assumed would happen. With each question or concern Dr. Lu has taken time to explain things to us. He is always very specific and chooses his words carefully. Dr. Lu is very professional and he's also very personable. We've been very satisfied with our choice of Dr. Lu as our dr so far.
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself [for Fertility Institute of NO]. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.... We felt that the policy regarding implanting 1 vs 2 embryos was not explained to us at the time we were deciding on the number of eggs to fertilize.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu can sometimes talk a little fast and he likes numbers and statistics, so pay close attention!
Dr. Lu took time to explain things to us. His bedside manner was warm and welcoming. He went as far as calling us on his own time to answer questions, give clarification and address concerns we had.
I can't really describe this, but it did seem as though with each monitoring appointment, Dr. Lu was great with analyzing the situation and adjusting as needed. He seemed very intuitive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Alleman)
Overall very helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.
Our ivf with icsi was about $15.
Dr. Lu follows their clinic policy which goes along with the state recs of putting back one embryo under a certain age and two if over. If younger he will do two after failed cycles.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
We felt that the policy regarding implanting 1 vs 2 embryos was not explained to us at the time we were deciding on the number of eggs to fertilize. That issue has since been resolved.
Metairie

Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options.... Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great.
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen.... Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used.... It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well.... Although a good number of people moved in and out, I felt the monitoring appointments were handled well and went fairly quickly.
Dr. Dunaway shoots from the hip and remains realistic while also being very kind and personable. Even when delivering bad news you know he is in your corner and willing to explore other options. He also listened to all of my questions even if he did not feel they were relavent to my situation or treatment. He was also available by cell phone and email. I feel he goes above and beyond.
Ditch the huge paper charts and start using electronic medical records. This would save the nurse’s time when going over things like medications. They would only need to click that things were the same instead of writing things out every time. Also, this would allow for lab results to be easily viewed and compared at all times.
The staff is always pleasant and makes you feel as though time is being made for you to be seen. They do not rush you out, and Dr. Dunaway will always listen to your concerns.
Describe the protocols Heber Dunaway used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Dr. Dunaway used a Lupron Microflare protocol on me because I did not respond incredibly well (had empty follicles and poor grade embryos) from my previous cycle with another doctor. I stimmed very well and my 3 embryos (from 15 eggs) looked great. However, they were all chromosomally abnormal, so we did not move on to transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
My nurse is helpful and kind, but she is not warm. She can be a bit blunt and/or desmissive at times as well. Sometimes the nurses seem a bit disorganized.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: Nice office environment, friendly staff, prompt appointment times. Weaknesses: Huge paper files and lack of computer charting used. Bedside manner can be lacking sometimes with support staff. It would be nice if they had a portable for patients to actually view and/or save lab results as well. Mine were mostly only verbally told to me.
I do not remember specific costs. However, after our failed cycle, Dr. Dunaway did give us a price break for our donor egg FET. Every little bit helps being that we are totally self-pay.
My doctor is open with patients. He feels this is their decision (within reason). However, now with the new guidelines his clinic is most likely exclusively doing single transfers except for in the case of older women.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I was mostly just frustrated with how some things were handled. They were not necessarily problem. I had come from another clinic, so I feel they could have better reviews my chart. I had to ask for a laparoscopy for endo (supposedly because they believed I’d have one with my last clinic... which I had not).
Baton Rouge

Dr dunaway is very personable. Laid back and easy to talk to. Will answer questions honestly, even if it is tough to hear. Delivered bad news in a compassionate way. Thinks out loud in front of you, so you know he’s doing his best to come up with a solution.... Started with injectable IUI with no success. Moved on to ivf, stimulation did not go as planned and we found out I am a poor responder and converted to IUI. Attempted ivf with different protocol and retrieved 2 mature eggs. 1 fertilized and the other did not. Fertilized egg grew perfectly to day 3 then arrested. We were left with no embryos to attempt transfer.
Office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.... Jackie was great. She often talks fast and I remember thinking, I’m glad I’m a medical professional because otherwise I would be totally lost. She’s honest about chances but does it in a nice way. Always returns your phone calls.
He is very laid back but very serious about getting you the results you want.
Dr Dunaway would take the time to answer questions. He was compassionate but also honest. Even if I was there for monitoring and needed to ask him something he would be available and happy to help.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Office is clean and quiet. Mrs Audrey at the front desk is amazing. Greets you by name on your way in and your way out every single time. Weakness would be that they do monitoring appointments from 7:30-9:00 on first come first serve basis. So if you’re not there very early in the morning you could be waiting a while.
Monitoring is from 7:30-9:00 on a first come first serve basis. Some days you got lucky and got in and out quick. Other days you may be there for a few hours.
Approx $20,000
Baton Rouge

On my first visit with Dr. Sartor, I met with her for over an hour. She explained everything very carefully with me and made sure I understood all the costs and risks. She is very direct but sincere. I never felt as though she had given me false hope or made it seem impossible. During IUIs, she is very gentle and talks her way through it so there are no surprises. My only suggestion is that I wish I could see her more, instead of a nurse, on visits when they are adjusting the procedures.
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is quiet, clean, discrete and professional. Infertility can be a scary and even embarrassing issue to deal with but I never felt weird in there. For the most part, they are on time. They have a TV to watch which is nice, you watch HGTV while you wait. They have water, coffee, and comfortable seats. I feel very peaceful in there. Its not too large so you don't get lost.... After getting some bad news about my follicle count one cycle, I started crying at the checkout station. The woman working the station was so sweet and caring and even got me some water.
If she doesn't call you back, her nurse definitely will before the end of the day. Don't worry if they don't get back to you within the hour.
I always felt important. Dr. Sartor answered all my questions patiently and she was always very gentle during the IUI procedures. Also, the staff are amazing. After getting some bad news about my follicle count one cycle, I started crying at the checkout station. The woman working the station was so sweet and caring and even got me some water. I never feel rushed at the office and someone will always call me back if I have a question.
My first IUI cycle we did 10 days of oral hormones, and 3 injections of Follistem. I had three good follicles, but a negative pregnancy test. My second IUI cycle, we did 2 weeks of birth control, then 5 days of oral hormones, and 3 injections of Follistem. We also followed up with progesterone after the IUI. I had one good follicle, but a negative pregnancy test. We skipped the following month because I had a very large cyst on one of my ovaries. My last IUI cycle we did 8 days if Follistem, I had three good follicles and the best sperm count we've ever had, but still, a negative pregnancy test.
The nursing staff are phenomenal. I've worked with three of Dr. Sartor's nurses. They are all patient, kind, compassionate and knowledgeable. They don't rush you and are there to listen even if you just want to talk things through. They always call me back if I have any questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is quiet, clean, discrete and professional. Infertility can be a scary and even embarrassing issue to deal with but I never felt weird in there. For the most part, they are on time. They have a TV to watch which is nice, you watch HGTV while you wait. They have water, coffee, and comfortable seats. I feel very peaceful in there. Its not too large so you don't get lost.
An IUI cycle averaged $2500-$3000 depending on the amount of injectable medication.
Describe Belinda "Sissy" Sartor's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Metairie

We have only met with Dr. Dunaway a few times but every time I have been more than satisfied with our experience. He takes the time to answer your questions, thoroughly explains everything, and treats you as an individual.... We are still early on in our treatment and plan but Dr. Dunaway did suggest that we use IVF w/ ICSI due to our severe male factor. He also suggested that we see a Urologist that specialized in male infertility before we begin and we have been doing that. I loved that he didn't just have us jump right into treatment.
We have only met with Dr. Dunaway a few times but every time I have been more than satisfied with our experience. He takes the time to answer your questions, thoroughly explains everything, and treats you as an individual. I feel 100% confident in continuing our treatment with Dr. Dunaway!
I would make a list of all questions you may have, no matter how small you think they are. Dr. Dunaway will take the time to sit with you and go over your entire list.
Dr. Dunaway is wonderful, he truly cares about you as a patient and will spend as much time as you need answering any of your questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
Overall the nursing staff has been great, they are compassionate and you can tell they really care about each patient and understand how sensitive and emotional this process can be. Every time I have called with a question or concern I get a call back very quickly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The FINO clinic in Baton Rouge is fairly small but only one doctor is practicing out of this location. My only real complaint is that before I scheduled our first consultation I had called to make sure it would be coded as a consultation because that is the only way my insurance would pay for the visit and they assured me it would, when we went to check out they had coded it as "infertility" which my insurance would not cover and I was required to full pay for that visit on the spot which I wasn't really prepared for. We have also gotten bills in my husbands name that were for me which can be confusing. Dr. Dunaway and his staff are really wonderful, I would just make sure you understand all the financial aspects of your visits.
We haven't fully began treatment yet but when we asked how much IVF w/ ICSI would cost we were told roughly 15k plus medication costs. OUr full pay cost for just a consultation was somewhere around $250 (there was an issue with how this visit was coded so insurance didn't cover)
Dr. Dunaway did educate us on single embryo transfer and explained not only the benefits but how the government in our state has set restrictions on how many you can transfer based on your age.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Dunaway sent us to a Urology specialist in New Orleans and we asked the clinic to fax all of my husbands labs and SA results to that physician which they did not do so at our first appointment the Urologist had no previous information to go off of.
Baton Rouge

My only hesitation about referring people to Dr.Dunaway is that he didn’t offer ERA procedures as an exploration into recurrent implantation failure. ...I also believe Dr. Dunaway is truly committed to saving patients money and this may play a role in the rationale for this decision. I still strongly recommend him. I think he is brilliant, ethical, and frankly fun to be around. His sympathy with our unexplained failures was evident
[Fert Inst of NO] There is an open 1.5 hour period for labs and cycle related ultrasounds. The wait can take minutes or hours.. Ms. Audrey at reception and Nurse Cindy are exceptionally kind people...All staff are truly wonderful...The only (minor) issue I had was one nurse (who I loved) assuming Dr.Dunaway would do one thing when in fact he would do another. In some cases, before I heard Dr. Dunaway’s actual plan, this caused me unnecessary anxiety.
My only hesitation about referring people to Dr.Dunaway is that he didn’t offer ERA procedures as an exploration into recurrent implantation failure. After several unexplained failed transfers I wanted to turn over every stone, though I also believe Dr. Dunaway is truly committed to saving patients money and this may play a role in the rationale for this decision. I still strongly recommend him. I think he is brilliant, ethical, and frankly fun to be around. His sympathy with our unexplained failures was evident. He was serious about helping us achieve our goal. He took my input seriously and supported my return to iui which finally led to success.
Ask many questions! He will take the time to answer. He seems to appreciate you playing an active role in your care and won’t fault you for being cautious. His opinion will sometimes differ from what his staff will assume it will be, so be vigilant about that.
Dr. Dunaway is so warm and personable. He had a great sense of humor and was candid about some of his own vulnerabilities. My case was frustrating and his joy when we succeeded was evident, as was his pain when we did not succeed. His staff is warm and wonderful.
We were looking to have one more child (after one successful natural pregnancy). He started ivf with medium stimulation to increase our chances of enough viable embryos to create a pregnancy but without many if any leftover embryos. We did follistim and menopur both times. The first cycle he increased my dose to 150 menopur from 75 and kept it at 150 for the second. We stayed with 225 follistim both times. Prior to ivf we did clomid and letrozole iuis. 1 of each drug resulted in chemical pregnancies while another of the clomid iuis was a negative. Our first ivf resulted in 1 high grade PGS normal embryo and our second resulted in 2. All transfers failed. The first two were a standard FET estrogen and PIO transfer protocol. My lining grew thinner by transfer day so for our third we used Gonal-f instead of the standard protocol and my lining cooperated but the transfer failed. We did iui with letrozole and menopur because I had menopur to get rid of and it failed. Our next step was iui with Gonal-f (150 units) and pregnyl trigger and I’m now 6 months with a healthy single baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Jackie and Holly (for different procedures).)
I loved all the nurses especially Jackie and Holly who I worked closely with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
There is an open 1.5 hour period for labs and cycle related ultrasounds. The wait can take minutes or hours depending on who else shows up on that day. It could be difficult to balance this with your job. It bears asking Dr.Dunaway things you may have asked the nurses- in one instance we learned I was taking a medication unnecessarily. Ms. Audrey at reception and Nurse Cindy are exceptionally kind people who keep the faith for their patients despite bearing witness to their pain. All staff are truly wonderful.
Pleasant waiting area. Great lab and ultrasound staff. My only qualm is the variable wait.
It’s all a blur but I believe we spent about $30 thousand total for 5 iuis, 2 ivfs and 3 transfers.
Dr. Dunaway seemed to favor multiple transfer on the cycle when we had the chance but we chose eSET, primarily because I didn’t want to risk 2 embryos when we had an unexplained failed transfer in our history but also because one of us passionately didn’t want twins.
Baton Rouge

I’m very early on in treatment but I loved that Dr Dunaway wanted to use Letrozole rather than Chlomid (what my OB suggested) because he knows Letrozole is better for PCOS. I also liked that he suggested an HSG before IUI which I had never even thought of but it makes so much sense!... One of my favorite moments with Dr Dunaway was after my HCG. There I am, sitting up on the table still in the hospital gown, listening to what he has to say and he just gives a quick rub on my foot and pats my leg reassuring me that everything is going to be ok. Like, “Hang in there. We are with you.”
They [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are QUICK. So quick. It amazes me how short the wait is throughout the visit. The staff makes you feel like you are the first person they’ve seen with infertility meaning they sympathize with your story. They are confident and caring.... I can’t speak highly enough of his staff. The ultrasound tech taught me more about PCOS than my OBGYN!... IUI process will be around $1700. HCG was $227 but I think insurance covered it. That’s it so far other than copays (first visit was $120) and medication (no more than $10).
Only reason I rated a 9 was because I’m still pretty new in this process. So far I am very happy. One of my favorite moments with Dr Dunaway was after my HCG. There I am, sitting up on the table still in the hospital gown, listening to what he has to say and he just gives a quick rub on my foot and pats my leg reassuring me that everything is going to be ok. Like, “Hang in there. We are with you.”
Be prepared with your questions.
I felt like Dr Dunaway could have sat there with me for hours YET he didn’t overwhelm me with information nor did he discuss irrelevant information. Also, his staff is unbelievable. The nurse that checked me in told me “just know you have a special place in my heart and I’m praying for you.” She May say this to everyone but I needed to hear it!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly )
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They are QUICK. So quick. It amazes me how short the wait is throughout the visit. The staff makes you feel like you are the first person they’ve seen with infertility meaning they sympathize with your story. They are confident and caring.
Baton Rouge

Dr. Lu started our first cycle with monitored clomid and then made decisions on further treatment from there. ... I love that he is passionate about his work and truly does the right thing for my specific problems. ... Currently scheduled for surgery to removed uterine fibroids/ polyps and will regroup. ... Dr. Lu is very compassionate and personable. He really listens to me and takes time out of his day to answer my questions. I am very happy with his “bedside manner”.
The Metairie office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is nice and easy to find. ... I do not remember all of the exact totals but the office will provide you with a complete list of expected fees before procedures. ... The female phlebotomist is a little rough but it is what it is. When I first called I was told I could go between the Metairie office and Mandeville office but later found out that you need to stay where you start so be aware of that. Everyone I have encountered has been very nice and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very kind and caring. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. He takes time to answer my questions and really explains things in a way I can understand. I love that he is passionate about his work and truly does the right thing for my specific problems.
When visiting Dr. Lu have questions ready and make sure you are fully aware of the next steps for your procedure.
Dr. Lu started our first cycle with monitored clomid and then made decisions on further treatment from there. Through and ultrasound, they discovered I had polyps and recommended removal before proceeding. The treatment is subject to change with your situation. Currently scheduled for surgery to removed uterine fibroids/ polyps and will regroup.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Cherie and Kim are a great team. I have a lot of questions and they have been very patient and compassionate with my situation.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The Metairie office is nice and easy to find. The female phlebotomist is a little rough but it is what it is. When I first called I was told I could go between the Metairie office and Mandeville office but later found out that you need to stay where you start so be aware of that. Everyone I have encountered has been very nice and knowledgeable.
Metairie
So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit....Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology.
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!... We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some)
So far, we have only done one IUI cycle with Dr. Dunaway. My IUI fell on a Saturday, which only one location was open so another doctor performed the IUI. I have not seen Dr. Dunaway since our consultation. I assume this is routine with IUI cycles. We have been very satisfied with the nurse we see each visit. We plan to move on to IVF if this second IUI is unsuccessful so I know we will see Dr. Dunaway again at that time. I feel he will address all of our concerns and explain the IVF process thoroughly should we decide to take that route.
Go see him! He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on all the latest technology and advances in fertility treatments. Very kind and caring doctor.
Although the clinic is very busy, I feel all of my questions are answered and I don't usually feel rushed.
Our first IUI cycle we used 100 mg of Clomid. I had used 50 mg in the past so he felt a higher dosage was needed. Two rounds of IUI were suggested due to our male factor infertility of low motility and morphology. The first IUI was unsuccessful and I developed cysts from the Clomid. This next cycle, he switched me to Femara 7.5 mg, which I start today! I was prescribed the hcg trigger shot for both cycles, and this time we are adding progesterone suppositories.
Holly is very informative in the field and answers all of our questions each visit. We feel comfortable with her and think she's really nice and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We have been very impressed with the wait time. We are in and out in no time, which is a huge plus since we drive over an hour away and have to get back to work. The receptionist is very sweet and always makes us feel welcome. The ultrasound techs are very knowledgeable in their field and answer any questions we have. I can't think of any weaknesses!
We were told the cycle fee would be $850 for IUI. Medications cost about $175, ultrasounds/monitoring cost about $350 (insurance covered some) and we had a credit on our account from previous services so we only had to pay $385 the day of the procedure. So the estimate they gave was pretty close, no surprises.
Baton Rouge
Dr. Dunaway always seemed like he wanted the best and to give our last donor egg IVF cycle the best chance we could. He seemed genuinely upset and shocked when we miscarried and told us a personal story of how his daughter miscarried at the same stage and assured me I did nothing wrong and tested me right away instead of waiting for multiple miscarriages.... He also saw things my previous clinic had not, he found my uterus was covered in polyps and my old clinic never saw them and transferred an embryo anyway.
The staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is wonderful, they are all very good at their unique individual jobs. They’re knowledgeable, caring and attentive to details. A new patient may want to know that bloodwork and ultrasounds are first come first serve in the morning so get there early!!... Ms. Jackie and all of the other staff here are incredible here! Ms. Jackie has been with Dr. Dunaway for over twenty years and has invaluable experience. She is extremely thorough and fully explains the process and makes sure that you are comfortable and fully know what to expect.
After our very first consultation with Dr. Dunaway I looked at my husband and told him I wished we had found him sooner. He has a plethora of experience and a great bedside manner. He is thorough and determined in what he is doing and it shows in the work that he does.
My advice would to be to go see him with any fertility concerns as soon as possible. He will be honest and give you the best options with how to navigate through your infertility issues. He sees you as a person and his ultimate goal is to see you succeed! He also saw things my previous clinic had not, he found my uterus was covered in polyps and my old clinic never saw them and transferred an embryo anyway.
When we came to see Dr. Dunaway we had made the decision to use donor eggs, we had had two failed IVF’s prior with our previous Doctor. We had 6 donor eggs which resulted in 2 beautiful embryos. Prior to transfer I was on birth control for about 5 weeks, then Lupron for two weeks, estradiol valetate injections twice a week, baby aspirin, estrogen patches and we started progesterone in oil injections 6 days before transfer. We kept the PIO injections going up until I was 8 weeks pregnant, then switched to protestors suppositories 3x a day. We also had stopped the estrogen injections by week 7 and switched to an oral tablet once a day. His protocol had worked and we were pregnant but unfortunately we lost the baby the week we were supposed to be released from his care at 10 weeks. He tested me for immune disordes, blood clotting disorders but everything came out normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Jackie)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The staff is wonderful, they are all very good at their unique individual jobs. They’re knowledgeable, caring and attentive to details. A new patient may want to know that bloodwork and ultrasounds are first come first serve in the morning so get there early!!
Luckily I had good insurance and had to only cover a deductible and max out of pocket, which totaled $4000. This was our third IVF and have now exhausted all of our benefits.
Dr. Dunaway advises to transfer one embryo, we only had two to start with. At first I wanted to transfer two but I was so thankful in the end that I only transferred the one.
Baton Rouge
Dr. Lu was compassionate and easy to talk to. He explained every step of the process and helped me feel like I knew about everything that was going on and everything that I could expect. When I was at risk for OHSS, he did everything he could to prevent it. That included medication after egg retrieval and letting me know what warning signs to look for. I did not end up with OHSS.... My doctor prefers to transfer 1 embryo at a time. I’m happy with this because having multiples puts the babies and mother at a higher risk of complications.
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has multiple locations and it was a huge help because my main clinic was 2 hours from my home. I was able to do most of my ultrasound and bloodwork at one of the clinics closer to my home. They were very accommodating.... I had two main IVF nurses and both were very compassionate and well organized. I felt comfortable calling them with any questions I had during my IVF process.... I had lots of anxiety and occasionally panic attacks and they were very compassionate. Dr. Lu was also very compassionate.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He will give you a good description of what treatment you choose but have your questions ready as well. He will answer any and all questions you have.
The nurses were great and helped me throughout my egg retrieval. I had lots of anxiety and occasionally panic attacks and they were very compassionate. Dr. Lu was also very compassionate.
My protocol for IVF was Follistim, Menopur and Ganirelix. After the first 4 days of stims, I went in for my first ultrasound and blood work. My medication was adjusted according to those results. I went in for ultrasounds and blood work every day until egg retrieval. I stimmed for 10 days and pulled the trigger on day 11. My egg retrieval was on day 13 and we got 14 eggs, 11 were mature and 7 fertilized via ICSI. We ended up with 5 frozen embryos.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic has multiple locations and it was a huge help because my main clinic was 2 hours from my home. I was able to do most of my ultrasound and bloodwork at one of the clinics closer to my home. They were very accommodating.
We had to pay for ICSI and medication, the rest of our IVF treatment was covered by a grant that we won.
Metairie
Dr. Dunaway is a brilliant physician and surgeon. ... I did a cycle of Invocell. It's basically a mini IVF with fewer medications and the goal is less eggs retrieved. ... The whole process seemed very easy on my body and easy overall. The goal is to produce a lower amount of embryos which was important for me since I do not want to have to decide what to do with any remaining embryos.
My clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is very patient oriented and you do not feel like just a number when you are there. ... During procedures the entire team made me feel at ease and relaxed. ... The only thing I could suggest to better my experience is to have a patient portal where I could see results or send messages to the staff ... I could come in [for monitoring] when it was best for me and I could go right into work afterwards. It was great. ...
Dr. Dunaway is a brilliant physician and surgeon. He is also an innovator and pioneer of the field of fertility. This is what initially drew me to Dr. Dunaway. He offered a new and more cost effective treatment that was the first of it's kind in Louisiana.
Trust the process and trust your doctor. He has been around for a while and truly cares and knows what he is doing.
Dr. Dunaway and his team are very warm and answer any questions I may have and always promptly return any calls. During procedures the entire team made me feel at ease and relaxed.
I did a cycle of Invocell. It's basically a mini IVF with fewer medications and the goal is less eggs retrieved. The incubation happens within a device that the patient Carrie's around inside. The whole process seemed very easy on my body and easy overall. The goal is to produce a lower amount of embryos which was important for me since I do not want to have to decide what to do with any remaining embryos.
Jackie is quick to respond to any questions I may have and explains everything to me when I have doubts. She is absolutely compassionate and knowledgeable in her field.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
My clinic is very patient oriented and you do not feel like just a number when you are there. The only thing I could suggest to better my experience is to have a patient portal where I could see results or send messages to the staff.
I could come in when it was best for me and I could go right into work afterwards. It was great.
The cost for my care was inclusive of the ivf treatment and meds and monitoring. It was about half the cost of traditional ivf.
I was strongly in agreement with Dr. Dunaway's recommendation to only transfer knee embryo at a time. I believe this significantly reduces risks to mother and child as well as reduces the risk of multiple pregnancies.
Baton Rouge
Dr Clisham was our 3rd fertility doctor. He took his time getting a thorough background of our previous procedures and fertility history. ... We were guided by Dr Clisham in our selection of which embryo would be best to transfer. On transfer day we were treated with the utmost respect and care and even a little humor to ease things. ... I felt very at ease under his care during a what can be a potentially stressful treatment.
The clinic is very clean, comfortable and easily accessible. The staff is very friendly and courteous. Everyone at the Fertility Institute was always supportive through each step in our fertility journey. ... The nursing staff was always delightful and helpful with any questions about anything from financial concerns to medication administration. ... [cost of treatment] Comparable to other fertility clinics for similar treatments.
Dr Clisham was our 3rd fertility doctor. He took his time getting a thorough background of our previous procedures and fertility history. After our initial consultation I felt very confident he could help us achieve what we desired. He was always very upfront with his expectations and made sure we thoroughly understood the next step in the process. His demeanor was very warm and inviting. I felt very at ease under his care during a what can be a potentially stressful treatment.
Trust in his guidance and expertise. Overcoming fertility challenges can be an uphill battle. Be open and honest about your expectations and always listen to all the advice given to you.
Dr Clisham was very warm and courteous each visit. He personally returned all my calls and answered all our questions very openly and honestly.
We used donor eggs in our ivf cycle with Dr Clisham because I have poor quality egg production. He thoroughly tested our donor to make sure we would have the best possible chance of achieving pregnancy using donor eggs. Our donor was put on injectable medications and monitored very closely with ultrasound and bloodwork screenings. Her retrieval and recovery went very smooth. We were given regular updates on the progress of our embryos after fertilization. I was prepped for embryo transfer with ultrasound and bloodwork monitoring and oral and injectable medications. We were guided by Dr Clisham in our selection of which embryo would be best to transfer. On transfer day we were treated with the utmost respect and care and even a little humor to ease things. Dr Clisham has always been very attentive to our concerns. We owe all our gratitude and success in this pregnancy to his advice and expertise.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Comparable to other fertility clinics for similar treatments.
Dr Clisham assured us that with using donor eggs our chances of success would be much higher with a single embryo transfer and that a multiple embryo transfer would not be necessary.
Metairie

I really like Dr. Dunaway. His communication and personality are a very good fit for me. I prefer direct and to the point communication. I like that he kind of thinks out loud when we talk...that lets me know he's weighing different options about the protocol he's giving me and not just sticking to a cookie-cutter plan. He tells me the truth, asks me questions, asks if I am comfortable with what he's telling me to do or medicine to take. I feel like he communicates clearly and that is very important.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information...Since I won the half off IVF, I was charged half of the costs. My total was around $7,500 - that included freezing all embryos and 1 transfer, so I would guess the costs would be around $14-15k (plus medicine). The ultrasounds that I had after my positive pregnancy test were paid separately..... They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
I just "graduated" from the clinic and am 10 weeks pregnant! Dr. Dunaway is an excellent doctor. He's the second RE that I've seen, and I trust him. Still ask questions if there's something you don't understand, but he explained things before I even needed to ask most of the time.
The staff at the Fertility Institute-BR are SO precious! I live 4 hours away from the clinic and they are so sweet and accommodating. They know my name, ask me how I'm doing, talk about real life, etc.
I was on Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, and the medicine used for trigger just completely left my brain. I'm thinking it was Bravelle? I cannot remember, sorry! It was a very straightforward protocol. They provided me with a calendar so that I could fill it in with the info from each visit - this was super helpful. My egg retrieval was in June 2016 and my transfer was supposed to be in September 2016. We started FET protocol, but my body went crazy with estrogen and my transfer had to be cancelled because my lining was too thick. My lining was a 17 for my first monitoring appointment. Ideally they want it to be around 9-12 by the time you transfer, so mine was WAY too thick. Dr. Dunaway personally came to chat with me and the IVF coordinator, Jackie. He specifically said that he hated to cancel my transfer, but that I have really good embryos and he doesn't want to waste my embryos on not-ideal lining. I was disappointed, but I trusted that he was doing what was best for me and my embryos. I was instructed to stop all meds and call when my cycle started. It didn't start for 4 weeks, so I just went back for them to check me, and they gave me Provera to make my period start. Dr. Dunaway adjusted my meds from estrogen injections & patches to just an oral dose of Estrace twice a day. My lining was looking good, but a little on the thicker side, so they moved my transfer date one day sooner. We transferred 2 embryos and I stayed on PIO injections for 6 weeks, then switched to Endometrium inserts for another 3 weeks (until I was 10 weeks pregnant). I was also still taking Estrace twice a day up until 10 weeks.
Jackie is the IVF coordinator. She is the one that I talk to the most. She is kind, caring, and gentle in her delivery of information. She does kind of talk fast, but when I ask her to repeat something she will even say, "I'm sorry I'm talking so fast..." then she will repeat or answer whatever question I have. The ultrasound girls are super sweet. They always talk to me, ask me how I'm doing, talk about the day, etc. I probably ask them the most questions while they are doing my ultrasound, "what's that? is that a good thing? why does that look like that? how do you know that the blob is a follicle and not a cyst?" they are always SO sweet and answer every single question...and they don't make me feel like I'm bothering them by asking. Another nurse that I've seen is Simone. She was there on my retrieval day & transfer day. She was really kind and caring. I don't remember the names of the other nurses who were there for my pre-op and post-op retrieval, but they were very sweet.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic participated with an organization called Sarah's Laughter. SL hosts a Baby Steps fun run every year where they give away a $10k grant to one couple, and The Fertility Institute gave away a FREE IVF cycle. At Baby Steps 2015, Dr. Dunaway saw how many people had participated, so he gave away an additional half off IVF, 2 free IUIs, and a few free consultations. I signed up for Baby Steps and created a "race team". My name was chosen for the half off IVF cycle. Without Dr. Dunaway's generosity, I don't think I would be pregnant right now. At this point, I really cannot think of any weaknesses. They are all so kind, everyone on staff seems very knowledgeable, their office, exam rooms, operating facilities, lab, etc. are all state of the art fantastic. The receptionist, Ms. Audrey, she is absolutely precious. She was always very upbeat and encouraging every time I saw her. I am very impressed and grateful for the care I received.
They prefer for you to be there between 7-9am. I live 4 hours away and would leave my house around 5am to get there at least by 9am. They were very understanding if I was late and were able to see me immediately. One time I completely slept through my alarms. I got on the road as fast as I could and called when they opened and told them what happened. They said it wasn't a big deal and as long as I was there by 11:30, it wouldn't be a problem. I was there at 10:50 and they called me right to the back. Even with the flooding in Baton Rouge, they didn't close and still saw patients as scheduled.

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing...Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow...Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills.
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic [Fert Inst of NO] does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy...[Nursing staff] Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see...he staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute... It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.
My statement from the human vs number will be the same answer. He is caring and compassionate, but straightforward with issues. He always has a plan ready if one plan didn't work out the way we hoped.
Don't waste your time seeing a OB/GYN. Let Dr. Dunaway help you get where you want to be quicker. He is amazing!
Dr. Dunaway actually takes the time to plan a path for you and your partner while explaining his reasoning and then asks your opinion. I felt like I had a say so in what they were doing. The staff has also went out of their way to help my situation when needed by squeezing me in at the last minute. Dr. Dunaway is caring and compassionate, but not clueless. He gives you the results straightforward, but also has a plan to follow.
Fertility pills for our first cycle which resulted in a negative pregnancy test, but wanted to see my body's reaction to the pills. IUI with shots- my body didn't react enough to the pills. First time with shots I ovulated early which resulted in a negative pregnancy test and another medicine being added the next go around. 2 more cycles both with a negative pregnancy test. Surgery followed to see if their were blockages or other issues. IVF is our next step. Unfortunately, we have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Holly and then Jackie)
Absolutely wonderful. Caring and always a pleasure to see even though infertility is extremely hard to deal with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
It's not going to be perfect, but the clinic does everything they can to help you. Every person has different issues and I believe Dr. Dunaway and staff do everything they can to assist and care for you and your future pregnancy.
I have no cover under insurance for infertility and unexplained infertility. It has been expensive, but when Dunaway can he will help you.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
The nursing staff at The Fertility Institute is inconsistent. Some of Dr. Lu's nurses are absolutely wonderful. They respond to requests in a timely manner and when I was starting at-home injections, gave me their cell phone number just in case I forgot how to properly mix something during off-hours. This is my primary nurse with Dr. Lu. The other nurses who have supported me at random points don't feel as invested or knowledgeable of my course of treatment...The clinic is extremely well organized! You can expect the same routine each time you go and the staff is efficient and mindful of your time. They are also flexible with scheduling appointments and have a very thorough financing department.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu's strengths include taking a thorough approach to understanding his patients' history and goals for seeking fertility treatment. He is a candid communicator and is able to answer our questions from both a statistical and a compassionate mindset. I have felt confident in every step of our treatment because Dr. Lu truly understands our specific concerns and keeps those at the forefront of every recommendation. I have also appreciated his straightforward approach to communicating next steps and results, while still leaving room for compassion and understanding. An example of this is when he called with the Diminished Ovarian Reserve results. I was 29 at the time and this was a result we sincerely did not consider possible. Dr. Lu re-explained the testing process, the diagnosis, and his recommended treatment comprehensively, but stopped to say "I hear that you're upset, and I want you to know that it's okay. Now is the time to be upset." This was incredibly affirming of my experience as a patient. He was gentle in pushing us forward in our treatment to not waste time while also being incredibly understanding.
Dr. Lu is a straightforward communicator and an incredibly good listener but you should be prepared to ask questions and be clear about your concerns and goals! He answers all of our questions in full and has continued to keep our goals in mind. I would imagine that if you don't have those things ready and would like more of a coaching approach, you may not feel fulfilled in the relationship.
From the first appointment with Dr. Lu, I felt that he was deeply invested in my individual fertility journey. He was candid about the different infertility realities couples face and outlined his reasoning behind every single test he first administered. He has continued to be patient, thorough, and transparent throughout the ups and downs of our treatment. He has listened to what our major concerns are and has helped us to make the most informed decisions possible that are the best for our family.
My husband and I tried to conceive naturally for 10 months before I made an appointment with my gynecologist, Dr. Sacha Wax. Due to my history of endometriosis, she moved forward with treatment and prescribed the first round of Clomid (50 mg/day), suspecting that I wasn’t successfully ovulating. My reaction to Clomid was not ideal but not uncommon. I developed a large cyst and went on birth control to diminish its size. Due to my history, reaction, and low progesterone, Dr. Wax recommended that I see a fertility specialist, and I made an appointment with Dr. Lu. The first few appointments with Dr. Lu were likely what every couple experiences on this journey. Bloodwork, ultrasounds, more bloodwork. From the initial imaging, Dr. Lu suspected an ovulation timing issue. We tried the HCG shot to trigger ovulation when one of my follicles was just on the cusp of the right size and my lining looked great. More bloodwork and progesterone supplements followed, as well as another sizeable cyst that ruptured and resulted in a trip to the emergency room. In the follow up conversation with Dr. Lu, he said that my bloodwork revealed my AMH results were extremely and surprisingly low for my age (29). I had an AMH of 0.677, when he expected it to be closer to 8, which meant my ovarian reserve was very low. The next step Dr. Lu recommended was another round of Clomid (100 mg/day), not to try for a successful pregnancy but instead to determine my FSH level to identify the quality of the eggs left in my limited reserve. The Clomid caused my FSH levels to almost double (from 6.8 to 11) which confirmed that both the quantity and quality of my ovarian reserve are extremely low. From there, Dr. Lu recommended that we try one-two months of Follistim injections (October 2016) in the hopes that this course of treatment would be successful instead of IVF. We tried one month of Follistim (150 mg/day) and I developed only one viable follicle on my left ovary, with two much smaller on my right. The treatment was unsuccessful and, on November 1, 2016, Dr. Lu shared that we were now at the point where IVF was the only course of treatment he could recommend due to my poor response to Follistim.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
In total (including medications, imaging, bloodwork, special testing, and office visit fees) we have spent over $6,000 on our fertility treatment thus far. Louisiana Insurance companies are not required to cover infertility treatment so none of our visits with Dr. Lu are covered.
We have not gotten to this point in our treatment yet.
New Orleans

Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff....Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc...Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
The clinic and Nurses [at Fert Institute of NO] were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process....Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive...Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm.
Dr. Dunaway knows his stuff. He is worth going to just by his success rate alone. Friendly, easy to talk to, although he may simplify the process when explaining. I wasn't always sure what to expect next, if my side effects/symptoms were normal, if my results were as expected, etc.
Trust his opinion, but if you are detail-oriented, have all questions ready to go! Bring someone to appointments to make sure you both understand his explanations. He is very friendly and can easily bustle in and out of the room before you realize you did ask the questions you intended to!
The clinic and Nurses were easy to get in touch with. They recognized me by site, and they were always friendly. On occasion, I did feel like maybe they were a little jaded to the process. They would explain things so matter of factly, at times skipping over the mental or emotional Aspect of the process.
I should have kept notes. Lots of Lupron. Gonal and menopur for retrieval--doses changed often based on ultrasound and labs. A few oral meds to avoid OHSS after retrieval. I wanted to try a fresh transfer but they did not allow it due to my lab levels. For transfer, estradiol IM and patches, then added in IM progesterone. After transfer, added baby aspirin for a while. Switched IM progesterone to vaginal suppository. Stopped all meds at 10 weeks. Weekly ultrasounds until I "graduated" to regular ob at 10 weeks.
Jackie has been doing this forever. Very organized, straight forward, calm. Go in to appointments with questions ready to go so she isn't in and out. Very clear on directions, but can skim over side effects and emotional aspects of fertility treatment. Overall impression, they aren't there to baby you-they are there to get you pregnant.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Organized, friendly staff. Good location in central Baton Rouge. Expensive but they are the best in our area, so I do not regret going to them first.
Ultrasounds and labs were scheduled in the mornings. Quick and efficient. Ultrasound and lab techs are very friendly. I always picked up new information from the ultrasound techs during my ultrasounds. (Sometimes they mentioned things I feel like I should have known about from the nurse! I wish I remember a good example of this.)
1 egg retrieval with 2 transfers cost about 12,000. ICSI was another $2000, roughly. Med cost was not included in this. I paid half up front, then the other half later on, I believe close to my transfer date.
Standard for my age was 2 embryo transfers, which I was fine with.
Baton Rouge

He [Dr. Peter Lu] was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations...Because Clomid thinned by lining worse than its usual level, and letrozole didn't give me much response, Dr Lu put me on injections. He decided I didn't need an IUI since our post coital tests kept coming back postitive. The injections were able to achieve desirable lining thickness and ample follicles. There was still only a 20% success rate for us at best and we did 2 rounds without a bfp. I am completely impressed by his protocol on our IVF. I was so scared as he lowered my meds doses so much but at the end, he manipulated everything PERFECTLY. I was risking and nearly OHSS and he gave me letrozole and cabergoline to prevent full ohss and so I know we maximized the potential for eggs retrieved while keeping me safe. He did an excellent job of changing my doses every day. Transfer was perfect as well.
Injection rounds [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Lu has been rated the best fertility doctor in the region, and I can see how. His strength is assessing a situation and making a treatment plan. He has done a great job of telling us what to expect for each round of treatment and the stats of likely success. I would definitely recommend him.
With infertility in general, Do your own research and always be your own advocate. He is flexible to change your plan if you want to be more aggressive. Come to the appointment with your questions prepared.
He was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendi and Lisa)
I only had issues with one nurse (not named). All other nurses were compassionate, informed, honest, helpful, empathetic, and genuine.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk staff is incredible. They are very personable and even coordinate a monthly support group meeting on their own dime. They offer refreshments and rally a medical professional to discuss their field of expertise. The Mandeville location is never crowded(never felt like a cattle service, like other clinics and ob/gyn offices feel like).
Clomid and letrozole rounds may have been around 300-400. Injection rounds had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
In August 2017, the SART board regulated in our region that you may only transfer one embryo (or be sanctioned), unless female is 38+yrs old or has had 2 previous failed transfers, no other exceptions. I was sad to only transfer one but it wasn't really up to Dr Lu. All the fertility clinics in Louisiana have to adhere to the new regulations. He was clear about the risks of transferring more than one, though.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
When I was with Dr Taylor in this office, he told me everything looked perfect on my bloodwork and ultrasounds during my Clomid month. I didnt know how important lining thickness was at the time and didn't even know to ask about it. When cd1 came, I called him to find out if we were going to up the dose and try again and that's when he informed me that my lining was at a 5.something at ovulation. He told me I might get pregnant with triplets when I was getting my trigger shot that month!
Mandeville

Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy...I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
They do a really good job getting you in and out in a timely manner, which is especially important when you have a full time job. Everyone is friendly and will try to help the best they can. Often the nurse isn’t available to talk when you call but will always call you back that day...All of the nurses were kind and helpful during the treatment. The ultrasound techs were especially kind and gentle, as once my ovaries got so big ultrasounds were very uncomfortable.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy. It’s so important to have a responsible doctor that has the experience to adjust and lower the risk of multiples. We underwent IUI in March 2017 and have beautiful, healthy boy/girl twins that arrived at the end of October. I’d recommend him to anyone!
Ask questions if you don’t understand and he always answers thoroughly.
He was very thorough and took a lot of time to explain the treatment. I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
I had level 1-2 endometriosis that caused me a lot of pain and pregnancy is one of the few treatments for it. I was 23 and my husband was 24 and our blood levels were so good that it was confusing to him why I hadn’t gotten pregnant easily after trying for 6 months. We had a miscarriage in December after getting pregnant naturally and started treatment in March. He decided to use injections for the type of endometriosis I had, as he said with his experience injections worked better for this type. I used 75IU of follistim for about a week and then used 10,000 IU of pregnyl for a trigger. We did IUI the day after trigger. This resulted in a fraternal twin pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We spent about $3,200 for one round of injectable IUI. My insurance didn’t cover a lot of the ultrasounds so almost everything was out of pocket.