Nutrition counseling is not offered
Nutrition counseling is not offered

10710 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235

Dr Edelstein is really great. He really seems to know what he's doing and makes sure you understand too. I really enjoy seeing him, and always feel like he has my best interest at heart. I really appreciated that he only gave me all of the info on IVF after I asked for it. It made it feel like he wasn't just after my money.... He made sure to personally call me when I wanted to start another IUI after my lap. He also always seems very inattentive to me and my personal needs.
The nurses [Fertility Institute of Virginia] are really great! Anytime something was painful (the hsg, and first IUI) the nurse would hold my hand.... The biggest strength is the clinic's success rates on SART are the best in Virginia. Another strength is Pattie the director of clinical services sat down with me to cover all the costs for IVF.... A huge weakness they have though is answering the phone. It seems like anytime I call the front desk I have to call 4/5 times in a day to get an answer. It is a bit better when try to get a hold of Dr. E's team. They still don't always answer right away but if I leave a message they always get back to me within an hour or two. I haven't started IVF yet so I don't know how easy it is to get a hold of the IVF coordinator.
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
If you are concerned about any of the fertility meds (like clomid for example) let him know he will gladly give you another medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
He made sure to personally call me when I wanted to start another IUI after my lap. He also always seems very inattentive to me and my personal needs. It didn't seem like he was just trying to throw IVF at me right away either.
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of Virginia and their degree of success.
For my just medicated cycle I took clomid days 3-7 and used opks to time intercourse. For my IUI's I took clomid days 3-7, then had an ultrasound on day 12. They then gave me the trigger shot to take home. I always did the trigger on days 12-14 and we did the IUI 36 hours after my trigger. My husband went in the morning of my IUI to leave his sample.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The nurses are really great! Anytime something was painful (the hsg, and first IUI) the nurse would hold my hand.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The biggest strength is the clinic's success rates on SART are the best in Virginia. Another strength is Pattie the director of clinical services sat down with me to cover all the costs for IVF. She also looks at your insurance's website to see if they cover anything. She couldn't find anything when looking for me so she called them the next day. After she called them she personally called me to let me know that they don't cover anything. A huge weakness they have though is answering the phone. It seems like anytime I call the front desk I have to call 4/5 times in a day to get an answer. It is a bit better when try to get a hold of Dr. E's team. They still don't always answer right away but if I leave a message they always get back to me within an hour or two. I haven't started IVF yet so I don't know how easy it is to get a hold of the IVF coordinator.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
All office visits are $50. My IUI's including clomid, trigger shot, sperm wash and the IUI cost around $600. If we move on to IVF we will be doing their shared risk program which starts at $20,000 for 6 rounds of IVF. Plus the cost of medications and any testing done.
Michael Edelstein

2009 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I really liked Dr. Steingold at first and I think he truly does care about his patients. He was kind and communicative. However, I stopped seeing him because I think he was a little lazy when it came to some treatments.
How was your experience with Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
I really liked Dr. Steingold at first and I think he truly does care about his patients. He was kimd and communicative. However, I stopped seeing him because I think he was a little lazy when it came to some treatments. I started a femera and progesterone cycle, was pregnant and
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Mostly kind and compassionate, sometimes a bit short
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Kenneth Steingold (retired)
Richmond

Zero bedside manner or compassion for the patients. He [Dr. Edelstein] wasn't willing to try anything outside of the standard if we did do a second retrieval...strong preference for single [embryo transfer]...he wanted to push a second round of IVF for the money when we still had 8 embryos elsewhere...he told me that my 2 miscarriages at the time did not count because they were all early
they [nurses of Fertility Institute of Virginia] were hard to get in contact with. They were nice in person...Communication was seriously lacking compared to the 3 other clinics that I've been to. If I didn't constantly call them, I would never get an answer or call back. The clinic is in a clean and easy to locate location. They tend to have long waits for some procedures.
he told me that my 2 miscarriages at the time did not count because they were all early. He only wanted my money and it was obvious. Zero bedside manner or compassion for the patients. He wasn't willing to try anything outside of the standard if we did do a second retrieval. I left that appointment completely upset.
Find a different doctor.
they were hard to get in contact with. They were nice in person.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
strong preference for single
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Michael Edelstein