Nutrition counseling is not offered
Nutrition counseling is not offered

10710 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235

It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that [Dr.] Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood...He remembered things I would tell him, like going out of town or things relating to my job.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Institute of VA] was great at taking my concerns to the doctor. They explained things well and showed me different ways of giving myself shots. The only thing I feel like they dropped the ball on was when they scheduled me for the wrong procedure (hysteroscopy when I needed a HSG)...The exam room tables are facing the wrong way. When someone opens the door they can look directly at your private area. Kind of maze like the farther you get from the front.
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that Se Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
To be very blunt about your expectations and to set limits for how many times you do a specific procedure.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of Virginia and their degree of success.
I took three doses of letrozole. Confirmed egg growth with ultrasounds and confirmed ovulation (once) with blood work. Two rounds of injectables, Gonal f. Had to increase dose because eggs stopped growing, confirmed egg growth with ultrasound and did trigger shot. Confirmed ovulation with blood work.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The nursing staff was great at taking my concerns to the doctor. They explained things well and showed me different ways of giving myself shots. The only thing I feel like they dropped the ball on was when they scheduled me for the wrong procedure (hysteroscopy when I needed a HSG).
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
I don't really remember the costs. It would be a copay and then usually $100-200 or visit out of pocket. All our injectables were out of pocket and not covered by insurance at all.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Have not done.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Michael Edelstein
Richmond

Dr. Steingold was a very kind and compassionate man. During the IVF process he clearly outlined the steps of everything that I needed to do with days and times and was very specific... however a lot if the time I felt that he was not really familiar with me, my case, or how to help me achieve different results...He consulted with other doctors to determine the best way to proceed further third egg retrieval/IVF attempt or proceeding with egg donor IVF.
They [Fertility Institute of Virginia] would return calls promptly to answer questions and relay information. Some of the nurses were friendlier and more compassionate than others...They misplaced results of my estrogen blood work prior to egg retrieval ...They were prompt to return phone calls and scheduling was easy and they were willing to work with my schedule. Scheduling appointments was very easy and convenient. Did not take long to see the doctor and they would work you into the schedule when needed.
How was your experience with Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Dr. Steingold was a very kind and compassionate man. During the IVF process he clearly outlined the steps of everything that I needed to do with days and times and was very specific. He was very optimistic for a positive outcome. I sometimes felt that I was just a number in his office because at times during our meetings he was not familiar with my case or history and would refer back to my file. At times information from my file was misplaced and not always available when needed. After my second failed egg retrieval he told me honestly that he wasn't sure where/ how to proceed with my case and needed to consult other doctors. I also don't feel like he provided information to me without me asking the right questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
You need to be prepared with detailed questions to ask him ahead of time as he does not always provide the details without being asked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Dr Steingold was very soft spoken and kind however a lot if the time I felt that he was not really familiar with me, my case, or how to help me achieve different results.
Describe the protocols Kenneth Steingold (retired) used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of Virginia and their degree of success.
I'm not sure the treatment plan for my first egg retrieval but I was on Gonal F 300 and 1 vial of menopur daily for approx. a week and a half. Before taking ganaerelix and then an HSG trigger. Produced 11 eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, 4 made it to blasts; results of PGD/PGS were all 4 abnormal. The second cycle was a lupron flare twice a day with Gonal F and menopur for two weeks. The idea was to produce more eggs. The second retrieval resulted in 10 eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, 4 made it to blasts, PGD/PGS tested, all 4 abnormal. None of the 8 total embryos had the same pattern or abnormality. No patterns were apparent. Dr. Steingold said he was very surprised by the results both times and did not have an explanation for it. He consulted with other doctors to determine the best way to proceed further third egg retrieval/IVF attempt or proceeding with egg donor IVF.
The nurses were great with training of shots and giving explanations of how to give injections. They were also comforting during IUIs. They would return calls promptly to answer questions and relay information. Some of the nurses were friendlier and more compassionate than others.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Each IUI procedure was about$250-$300. My IUIs were with clomid. We used a multi-cycle IVF package that was around $20,000 for the two egg retrievals which did not result in any transfers or embryos to freeze for later use. We also used ICSI with both retrievals which was about $1200 each retrieval. We did PGD/PGS testing with both rounds that was around $800-900 each time. Medications for both retrievals was around $5000-$6000 each time. Doctor fees for the retrievals was around $5000.
Describe Kenneth Steingold (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
N/A-- never made it to transfer
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
They misplaced results of my estrogen blood work prior to egg retrieval and sometimes misplaced parts of my file that they then found later.
Kenneth Steingold (retired)
Richmond
Very nice staff [at Fertility Institute of Virginia]...The facility seems very nice; however, the walls seems paper thin. Having two locations is ideal and being able to complete things electronically. The care team could do more to acknowledge the presence of the non-carrying parent. When with my spouse, I feel completely ignored as a patient...[Dr. Michael Edelstein] Suggested which ovulation kits to purchase and when to call the office...speaks very fast and very detached from the process. Everything is very mater-of-fact. When giving his "spill" he did it the same as if we were a heterosexual couple trying to get pregnant...Strengths would be his longevity in the field and research. Weaknesses would be his length of time in the field. He seems detached and disinterested. If this is the 10,000th time he's given this spill it sure did feel like it
Strengths would be his longevity in the field and research. Weaknesses would be his length of time in the field. He seems detached and disinterested. If this is the 10,000th time he's given this spill it sure did feel like it.
Don't take his demeanor personal.
He's speaks very fast and very detached from the process. Everything is very mater-of-fact. When giving his "spill" he did it the same as if we were a heterosexual couple trying to get pregnant.
Suggested which ovulation kits to purchase and when to call the office.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Very nice staff