Selling medication is not offered

Providence, RI 02903
12 Alfred Street
Woburn, MA 01801

2020, Unsuccessful
While being treated by Dr. Kowalik, I felt like I was being rushed through the IVF process with little to no regard for my personal experience. At every step of the process, Dr. Kowalik only went over the most minimal, basic information without taking the time to fully explain details and so I was left searching for answers myself the entire time. It was not easy to communicate with Dr. Kowalik, as everything must be done via the online portal, and you can only send direct messages to doctors that are available on that specific day (like a doctor having office hours and you can only talk then).
The original plan [at Fertility Solutions of New England] was IVF with ICSI, embryo genetic screening and then frozen embryo transfer. Unfortunately, only a fraction of the eggs expected were retrieved and then only 2 were successfully fertilized. There was NO back-up plan or any sort of indication that this was even a possibility and so a last minute 3 day embryo transfer instead of 3 weeks was quite a shock. The whole entire process, I was given only the most basic, broad information about a subject I know nothing about and was only given specifics about the next steps when I explicitly asked. I was often left feeling in the dark after our conversations, and yet, whenever I couldn't get in contact with her and had to speak to another doctor or nurse at the facility, I was given so much more information and more accurate timelines.
How was your experience with Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Beginning at the very first meeting with Dr. Kowalik, it was clear that she was a blunt, smart, no-nonsense, to-the-point type of doctor. Although would have preferred someone with a warmer demeanor, I did not think that her attitude would be a factor in the quality of my treatment, which was a wrong assumption. Her lack of compassion and, quite frankly, her callousness in several of our interactions was a huge factor in me seeking out a different fertility clinic for my second cycle. Dr. Kowalik literally SCOFFED at me on more than one occasion when I asked her medical questions. As if I, a woman with no medical background and no prior knowledge of the IVF process, would have intimate knowledge of what was going on. I felt rushed when I spoke with her and she was often condescending when we spoke. During my cycle, there were unexpected complications at one point and she treated a heart-breaking and terrifying experience in a very apathetic and almost annoyed manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Be prepared to do your own research, fill in many blanks by yourself and through other doctors and do not expect a personal touch.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Describe the protocols Ania Kowalik used in your cycles at Fertility Solutions of New England and their degree of success.
The original plan was IVF with ICSI, embryo genetic screening and then frozen embryo transfer. Unfortunately, only a fraction of the eggs expected were retrieved and then only 2 were successfully fertilized. There was NO back-up plan or any sort of indication that this was even a possibility and so a last minute 3 day embryo transfer instead of 3 weeks was quite a shock. The whole entire process, I was given only the most basic, broad information about a subject I know nothing about and was only given specifics about the next steps when I explicitly asked. I was often left feeling in the dark after our conversations, and yet, whenever I couldn't get in contact with her and had to speak to another doctor or nurse at the facility, I was given so much more information and more accurate timelines.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Solutions of New England.
The nursing staff was helpful, but they were just ghosts on the other side of a telephone line. I was never given the names of any other staff at the facility and I spoke to MANY different doctors and nurses, just whoever happened to be on call at the time, so I can't even review any individuals because I don't remember when I talked to certain people and about what subject.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I have never felt compelled to write a review for a doctor or a medical clinic before, but my time at Fertlility Solutions was so terrible that I felt the need to share my experience. For any woman, having trouble conceiving is an agonizing, scary and confusing time. Like many women in this situation, I had no idea what to expect while going through the IVF process and was hoping for personal support, helpful guidance, and compassionate care throughout the process, which is absolutely NOT what I found at Fertility Solutions. I felt rushed through the whole plan and was only given information on what to do next at the very last minute. I was even told "most women are too scared to know what the next step is, so we like to just do everything as it comes" after I complained for the 3rd time that I had NO IDEA what was going on. I find it hard to believe that other women are telling them they love to be left in the dark. I was told on 2 separate occasions that I needed a prescription at such a last minute, that if it was too late for the pharmacy to fill the Rx, I would just have to be off schedule with the medication. I had to look up so much information on my own that I now feel like I could teach a class on the IVF process. Communication was very poor. I had trouble speaking to someone on the phone every single time I called. The patient portal only lets you contact doctors or nurses on call, so you can't always send a message to your own personal doctor or even someone that you know there. Fertility Solutions took the already difficult process of IVF and made it even more emotionally, mentally and physically daunting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Costs were mostly covered by insurance. We paid $2,500 for genetic screening, which we ended up not using because of unexpected results. I was never contacted about getting a refund or told anything about my balance until I contacted Fertility Solutions about the issue.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Disorganization, lack of personal touch, poor communication, failure to provide adequate information

2015, 5 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Kowalik is in charge of the entire clinic, so you can't expect to have any personalized attention...I felt that this doctor was too busy running her clinic to pay any attention to patients. Instead of giving me a new blood test to check my hormones, they used an old test and therefore I ended up doing treatments for a week longer than normal. The doctor also forgot to give me more medication, and then a major snowstorm hit and I had to arrange with a nurse to leave medication out for me on the front stoop of the clinic. I had to drive two hours in a blizzard to pick up medication because no one checked in with me!
the nursing staff [at Fertility Solutions of New England] was quite nice and helpful but also stretched very thin. The nurses split their time between the clinic and another hospital...I would say that the doctors know their stuff, but they are way too overbooked to give any type of personalized care. I did receive good care during my procedure, but everything leading up to it was a nightmare. No one was willing to take the three minutes to show me how to do injections. I definitely felt like just a number there.
I would definitely not recommend this doctor. I only went to this clinic on the recommendation of a friend who had seen a different doctor here. Dr. Kowalik is in charge of the entire clinic, so you can't expect to have any personalized attention. I definitely felt like just a number and a source of income to them, as no one explained anything to me, even when I asked. I have a PhD and can figure things out on my own, but to not answer basic questions when hormones are involved is practically unethical.
There was absolutely no explanation given to me. When it came time to do the injections, I asked if someone could show me how to do them. I was told to watch the videos online! When I went in for my ultrasounds, the doctor (a different one than Dr. Kowalik), introduced herself to me on the third time I had seen her that week. It was terrible care all the way around.
I don't remember the specifics. I do know that the dosage was wrong because they used an old test.
It is a bit fuzzy for me now, but I do remember that the nursing staff was quite nice and helpful but also stretched very thin. The nurses split their time between the clinic and another hospital, which I think is crazy.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I only visited two clinics and worked with this one. I would say that the doctors know their stuff, but they are way too overbooked to give any type of personalized care. I did receive good care during my procedure, but everything leading up to it was a nightmare. No one was willing to take the three minutes to show me how to do injections. I definitely felt like just a number there.
I paid $7000 total.
Describe Ania Kowalik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Solutions of New England.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
I've already said elsewhere that no one checked in with me on the night before a major blizzard to make sure I had enough medication. So I had to call the clinic myself and drive two hours in a blizzard to get it, as the snowstorm meant that FedEx had stopped deliveries. Nightmare.
2016, Unknown Success
At every visit she [Dr. Ania Kowalik] seemed very knowledgeable and up to date with current research. However, overall way too cautious and not aggressive enough treatment wise. I chose to forego IUI and jump right to IVF. I think (and now know) I was very poorly stimulated. I think if you have any other issues other than unexplained than this clinic is not for you. Too scared to treat appropriately
The nurses [at Fertility Solutions of New England] were very quick to respond with any Qs. However I hardly ever met any in real life. The issue with this clinic is there is zero teaching! Most of the people I have heard about are required to get education on med injections or go over their protocols etc. none done here... Biggest strength would be the doctors do all of the ultrasounds so there are no techs doing it you can kind of get answers immediately.
I was recommended a different doctor in this clinic by my OBGYN. Since there was a longer wait and I wanted to be seen sooner I chose to see Dr. Kowalik. At every visit she seemed very knowledgeable and up to date with current research. However, overall way too cautious and not aggressive enough treatment wise. I chose to forego IUI and jump right to IVF. I think (and now know) I was very poorly stimulated. I think if you have any other issues other than unexplained than this clinic is not for you. Too scared to treat appropriately
Get other opinions first!
I was on an antagonist protocol of gonal f and ganirelix. Again dose extremely too low given my age and AMH.
The nurses were very quick to respond with any Qs. However I hardly ever met any in real life. The issue with this clinic is there is zero teaching! Most of the people I have heard about are required to get education on med injections or go over their protocols etc. none done here. For being such a small office it's kind of a joke
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Biggest strength would be the doctors do all of the ultrasounds so there are no techs doing it you can kind of get answers immediately. Weakness is as I mentioned the clinic is way too reserved in their treatment/care. Also their billing dept is an absolute nightmare!
Luckily living in MA insurance covered most of the treatment.
I only transferred one I did not ask about doing two
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr Anania was caring and knowledable. She made you feel like a valued patient...We do the antagonist pritucol twice and long Lupron once. I responded much better to antagonist. I believe bcp and long Lupron over suppressed me. I asked Dr Anania to prescribe hgh in hopes that it would improve my egg quality and she agreed. That cycle gave me the best embryos....After 3 cycles there, without any answers as to what could be wrong besides embryo quality
This is a small clinic [Fertility Solutions] in comparison to some bigger clinics. It is an all female physician team and the drs do all the ultrasounds. Each patient has an online patient portal and you can access everything about your cycle there, in real time...After 3 cycles there, without any answers as to what could be wrong besides embryo quality- I decided to go to a reproductive immunologist in Long Island . I did my monitoring at Fertility solutions, and they'd often need a reminder to fax the results to my dr
How was your experience with Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Dr Anania was caring and knowledable. She made you feel like a valued patient. I liked the small scale of the clinic, in comparison to the larger clinics. While China taking there it felt like everyone knew who I was, and that was important to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Get a clear diagnosis and ask as many questions as you need to
Describe the protocols Carol Anania used in your cycles at Fertility Solutions of New England and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
This is a small clinic in comparison to some bigger clinics. It is an all female physician team and the drs do all the ultrasounds. Each patient has an online patient portal and you can access everything about your cycle there, in real time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Luckily I had insurance coverage at the time, but maxed out our insurance benefits after 3 cycles there.
Carol Anania
Woburn

Treatment 1 [with Dr. Anania]: Estrogen priming, 450IUs Gonal F, Cetrotide, Fresh transfer despite high P4 on trigger day. Treatment 2: Despite only getting 1 embryo she blasted my ovaries with 600IUs of Gonal and Menopur, mis-identified a cycst as a follicle despite my estrogen being low, did not address my rising P4, and did not monitor me for 3 days at the end despite having large follicles. Ended up with a 2.2 P4, over stimulated, poor egg quality, and in the ER after she decided to transfer 3 poor quality embryos inside me...never reached out to me personally after my failed cycles. When I told her I did not want to do a fresh transfer with a rising progesterone she literally didn't care and made it seem like it was a fresh transfer or discarding my embryo even though it was a 3AA and could have been frozen. Never followed up with me in a way that made it seem like she had any clue who I was.
Nurses are okay [at Fertility Solutions of New England], friendly enough but cannot answer questions without asking the doctor first...The finance team is brutal to work with...Dr. Anania never reached out to me personally after my failed cycles. When I told her I did not want to do a fresh transfer with a rising progesterone she literally didn't care and made it seem like it was a fresh transfer or discarding my embryo even though it was a 3AA and could have been frozen. Never followed up with me in a way that made it seem like she had any clue who I was. Doctor Nps
Completely impersonal, which doesn't really matter as long as she knows whas she's doing. Unfortunately, it was like I new more than she did hence two failed IVF cycles that even I could identify the problems with. You do not do a fresh transfer with a 1.76 and 2.2 progesterone level on the day of trigger. You do not do a fresh transfer when your patient calls you crying that she doesn't want to. You do not go 3 days without monitoring on 600IUs when there are 3 18mm follicles. In addition to that, I never got a single call after my failed cycles to see how I was doing or to have a follow-up consultation.
Do your research and don't let her make decisions that are completely contrary to every study you have ever read and is contradictory to what even your insurance company tells you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Treatment 1: Estrogen priming, 450IUs Gonal F, Cetrotide, Fresh transfer despite high P4 on trigger day. Treatment 2: Despite only getting 1 embryo she blasted my ovaries with 600IUs of Gonal and Menopur, mis-identified a cycst as a follicle despite my estrogen being low, did not address my rising P4, and did not monitor me for 3 days at the end despite having large follicles. Ended up with a 2.2 P4, over stimulated, poor egg quality, and in the ER after she decided to transfer 3 poor quality embryos inside me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Nurses are okay, friendly enough but cannot answer questions without asking the doctor first which is different from my current clinic where they have actual medical knowledge. The finance team is brutal to work with and nobody suggested that I get new insurance during open enrollment and put me on self pay after I maxed out my benefit. The financial coordinator at my new clinic told me to do that right away and even told me which insurance companies were the easiest to work with.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Solutions of New England.
They were fine
I had a $15k max on my insurance and paid the rest out of pocket
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Maybe I wouldn't be pregnant right now, but I didn't even get a fighting chance with the way my case was so poorly handled. I still get angry about it almost daily.
Carol Anania