Selling medication is not offered

Providence, RI 02903
12 Alfred Street
Woburn, MA 01801

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
I like her [Dr. Ania Kowalik] because she is clear and to the point with information without it being overwhelming...She is extremely considerate of my wife, a trans women...She presents all options and gives her opinion on which will be the best course of treatment but makes it clear that it is the patients choice how to move forward with treatment. I personally appreciate a straight forward approach in medical setting so I like this a lot about her, but could see it not being for everyone.
The initial process to get established as a [Fertility Solutions of New England] patient is a little long but once you are started as a full patient there is very little wait time. The doctors that work together are all well versed and good to work with. I saw a care team for a lot of my early ultrasounds and blood draws and then saw my specific doctor for more important and decision making appointments.
How was your experience with Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
I like her because she is clear and to the point with information without it being overwhelming. She presents all options and gives her opinion on which will be the best course of treatment but makes it clear that it is the patients choice how to move forward with treatment. I personally appreciate a straight forward approach in medical setting so I like this a lot about her, but could see it not being for everyone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
She has so much information and doesn't want to waste a patients time so come prepared with questions and she will be able to answer them!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
She dedicated time to our specific situation and was always checking that we understood our choices and options.
Describe the protocols Ania Kowalik used in your cycles at Fertility Solutions of New England and their degree of success.
So I started my IVF cycle on 10 days of birth control, had hormone levels checked and then started treatment to prepare for my egg retrieval. I did 10 days of 200 iui of Gonal-F followed by 2 days at 150 iui. 12 total days on Gonal-F. Days 7-11 I did prefilled syringes of Ganirelix. Day 12 I didn't trigger shot of 10,000 in 1ml of water. The egg retrieval day 14. Then day 5 embryo transfer.
How competent was Ania Kowalik at LGBTQ care?
She is extremely considerate of my wife, a trans women, who doesn't have any legal name change but has never once dead named her and made sure her name was on all visible parts of our file and her dead name was only used when legally necessary. The second she was knowledgeable about trans fertility and fertility preservation which is what we were seeking. After that she diagnosed my wife with infertility.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Solutions of New England.
The staff is kind and knowledgeable. They are respectful and smiling even for the early 7:30 am appointments!
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
The initial process to get established as a patient is a little long but once you are started as a full patient there is very little wait time. The doctors that work together are all well versed and good to work with. I saw a care team for a lot of my early ultrasounds and blood draws and then saw my specific doctor for more important and decision making appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England.
My insurance count them as specialist visit so they are $50. My saline sonogram was $150 after insurance. They also have adjusted self pay options that I have not used.

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Dr Anania is very fact and researched based when discussing treatment approaches and treatment outcomes, however, she always brings everything back down to the patient level (i.e: explaining how treatments can work for the individual patient)...She responds to all emails within 1 day. I find her compassionate but she does not sugar coat expecations, which appreciate...did not recommend multiple embryo transfer, due to my age. We did one fresh transfer and then have tested the rest of our embroys via PGT...
I would consider Fertility Solutions a boutique fertility clinic, meaning it is not very big and is overall, very personable. The clinic is comprised of an all female medical team, which I really enjoy. The downside of smaller team is that they do not do any monitoring or procedures on Sundays...The nursing staff is phenomenal. They are excellent at communication- all emails and phone calls are answered the same day, with the exception of Sundays. They are also very compassionate and personable...
How was your experience with Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England?
In my experience, Dr Anania takes her time to answer all of my and my husband's questions during our appointments. She responds to all emails within 1 day. I find her compassionate but she does not sugar coat expecations, which appreciate. When faced with a potential insurance denial, Dr Anania went above and beyond doing research for my situation and performed extra tests to submit to the insurane company to appeal the denial (I failed the clomid challenge test and thanks to her research and extra testing, insurance covered my next round of IVF despite failing the clomid challenge test).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England?
She is very middle of the road with her bedside manner. She uses research to make recommdendations, she is straightforward, does not sugar coat things, but is able to express compassion for her patients
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Describe the protocols Carol Anania used in your cycles at Fertility Solutions of New England and their degree of success.
I began IVF using an antagonist approach, since this is one of the most aggresive treatment approaches given my age, AMH and other factors. We also trialed a flare cycle for my second round of IVF, however, I had poor response to that approach. For my 3rd and 4th rounds we went back to an antagonist cylce using menopur. All of my antagonist cylces yielded 3-4 embroys which we used for PGT.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carol Anania at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Fortunately, most of my fertility treatment has been covered by insurance. I have paid out of pocket for PGT which is around $2500 for each round.
Describe Carol Anania's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Solutions of New England.
My doctor did not recommend multiple embryo transfer, due to my age. We did one fresh transfer and then have tested the rest of our embroys via PGT.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Kowalik was understanding of my unique situation, while also making me see the needs on her end for us to achieve pregnancy. She also is good at communication and quick to respond to my questions...We're just starting our first cycle of IUI, but we're currently doing monitored ovulation with clomid..
I've only recently started treatment, but so far, I feel that everyone in the [Fertility Solutions of NE] clinic is good at their job and has been pleasant to deal with. Strengths are communication and availability...We have a military discount, but right now we're doing IUI for $320...Every time I've called the nursing line, I've gotten called back quickly and with very helpful communication.
So far, I have felt very taken care of by Dr. Kowalik. We are still early in treatment, but so far, she's given me no reason to question her knowledge or abilities. We've had a few telehealth appointments that were great. We've only had one in person, which seemed a little rushed, but she was able to answer my questions when I probed her for a more information.
Make sure to ask your questions because she may assume you know more than you do.
Every nurse I've encountered has been amazing. The in-person nurse in Providence is great! I had a tough time physically after an ultrasound and she really took care of me until I felt better. Every time I've called the nursing line, I've gotten called back quickly and with very helpful communication.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I've only recently started treatment, but so far, I feel that everyone in the clinic is good at their job and has been pleasant to deal with. Strengths are communication and availability. Honestly, I haven't found any weaknesses yet!
We have a military discount, but right now we're doing IUI for $320. Our semen analysis was around $100. Everything else has been a co-pay through insurance.
Describe Ania Kowalik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Providence

Dr. Huang was very positive and I was really impressed that she was the one to always call with updates and results and not the nurse (although I really liked the nursing staff too). She made time for me and answered all of our questions and really wanted to see us succeed...I started out on birth control to suppress my ovulation. Once the treatment started, due to my good AMH response, we started on an average dose of Gonal F 225u for 8days and due to response turned it down to 150u, 100u and then 75u. I also took 7 doses of Ganirelix 250mcg. For the trigger, I only needed 5000u for Novarel. After Retrieval I took Crinone only as I developed a mild case of OHSS.
So the only negatives I experienced here [Fertility Solutions of New England] were typical with any other clinic. I was billed for a test I didn't take - but that was easy to resolve with the clinic billing coordinator...I think the clinic's strengths are that there are only 3 doctors - I met with each of them at different times and liked them all, although I did prefer Dr. Huang. The staff was also friendly and the office was nice and clean - it was easy to schedule an appointment. Waiting times were also not bad - about 5-10 minutes to be called, and then probably another 5-15 minutes to see the Doctor. The only weaknesses I can think of is just to keep track of your billing and make sure you are appropriately getting charged for procedures/blood draws done on the day of your visit.
How was your experience with Pei-Li Huang at Fertility Solutions of New England?
As a patient I wasn't sure what to expect as this was my first time doing IVF. We chose Fertility Solutions as there were 3 main doctors, were some facilities you could be seeing a number of them. Our consultation was with Dr. Huang, and we saw her the most throughout the process. I really liked her positivity, warmth and I thought should was very straight-forward. She answered all of the questions we had and really wanted to see us succeed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pei-Li Huang at Fertility Solutions of New England?
I think as with any Fertility Doctor, do your research about the processes, and come prepared with questions. She was happy to answer all and any questions, but she and the clinic are very busy and I noticed that if I did not come prepared with questions she assumed I didn't have any and went on her way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pei-Li Huang at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Describe the protocols Pei-Li Huang used in your cycles at Fertility Solutions of New England and their degree of success.
I worked primarily with Sue and also Paula a few times - I'd highly recommend the entire staff. Everyone was very nice. I had a lot of questions along the way and communicated with Sue primarily through email and she was always really prompt in answering. The nursing staff during Retrieval was also great, and I felt really relaxed and comfortable the entire time.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Due to Covid, I had to travel to the main office of Dedham for most of my procedures. I think the clinic's strengths are that there are only 3 doctors - I met with each of them at different times and liked them all, although I did prefer Dr. Huang. The staff was also friendly and the office was nice and clean - it was easy to schedule an appointment. Waiting times were also not bad - about 5-10 minutes to be called, and then probably another 5-15 minutes to see the Doctor. The only weaknesses I can think of is just to keep track of your billing and make sure you are appropriately getting charged for procedures/blood draws done on the day of your visit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pei-Li Huang at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Most of my costs were covered by insurance - although I have a limited number of "cycles" (2). I have a $50 copay and most of the bloodwork, etc was covered at 100%. Surprisingly my Retrieval and Transfer were covered 100% as well. The only thing I paid a lot of money for was the medication. One thing the facility mentioned is that if the medication is charged through insurance, it's much more than paying out of pocket sometimes. I found that was the case and as I had a limit of $10,000 on medication, that soon ran out for 1 cycle. So for some of the medication I paid out of pocket so it wouldn't get whacked against my limit, if that makes sense.
Describe Pei-Li Huang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Dr. Huang prefers eSET if possible, although I only had 1 embryo to transfer so I did not have to face that decision.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England.
So the only negatives I experienced here were typical with any other clinic. I was billed for a test I didn't take - but that was easy to resolve with the clinic billing coordinator. Also I filled out paperwork to have all my results transferred to my OBGYN, and the paperwork was lost and the results weren't set. An easy fix though to call the office, refill out the form and have them send it again.

2020, Unsuccessful
While being treated by Dr. Kowalik, I felt like I was being rushed through the IVF process with little to no regard for my personal experience. At every step of the process, Dr. Kowalik only went over the most minimal, basic information without taking the time to fully explain details and so I was left searching for answers myself the entire time. It was not easy to communicate with Dr. Kowalik, as everything must be done via the online portal, and you can only send direct messages to doctors that are available on that specific day (like a doctor having office hours and you can only talk then).
The original plan [at Fertility Solutions of New England] was IVF with ICSI, embryo genetic screening and then frozen embryo transfer. Unfortunately, only a fraction of the eggs expected were retrieved and then only 2 were successfully fertilized. There was NO back-up plan or any sort of indication that this was even a possibility and so a last minute 3 day embryo transfer instead of 3 weeks was quite a shock. The whole entire process, I was given only the most basic, broad information about a subject I know nothing about and was only given specifics about the next steps when I explicitly asked. I was often left feeling in the dark after our conversations, and yet, whenever I couldn't get in contact with her and had to speak to another doctor or nurse at the facility, I was given so much more information and more accurate timelines.
Beginning at the very first meeting with Dr. Kowalik, it was clear that she was a blunt, smart, no-nonsense, to-the-point type of doctor. Although would have preferred someone with a warmer demeanor, I did not think that her attitude would be a factor in the quality of my treatment, which was a wrong assumption. Her lack of compassion and, quite frankly, her callousness in several of our interactions was a huge factor in me seeking out a different fertility clinic for my second cycle. Dr. Kowalik literally SCOFFED at me on more than one occasion when I asked her medical questions. As if I, a woman with no medical background and no prior knowledge of the IVF process, would have intimate knowledge of what was going on. I felt rushed when I spoke with her and she was often condescending when we spoke. During my cycle, there were unexpected complications at one point and she treated a heart-breaking and terrifying experience in a very apathetic and almost annoyed manner.
Be prepared to do your own research, fill in many blanks by yourself and through other doctors and do not expect a personal touch.
The original plan was IVF with ICSI, embryo genetic screening and then frozen embryo transfer. Unfortunately, only a fraction of the eggs expected were retrieved and then only 2 were successfully fertilized. There was NO back-up plan or any sort of indication that this was even a possibility and so a last minute 3 day embryo transfer instead of 3 weeks was quite a shock. The whole entire process, I was given only the most basic, broad information about a subject I know nothing about and was only given specifics about the next steps when I explicitly asked. I was often left feeling in the dark after our conversations, and yet, whenever I couldn't get in contact with her and had to speak to another doctor or nurse at the facility, I was given so much more information and more accurate timelines.
The nursing staff was helpful, but they were just ghosts on the other side of a telephone line. I was never given the names of any other staff at the facility and I spoke to MANY different doctors and nurses, just whoever happened to be on call at the time, so I can't even review any individuals because I don't remember when I talked to certain people and about what subject.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I have never felt compelled to write a review for a doctor or a medical clinic before, but my time at Fertlility Solutions was so terrible that I felt the need to share my experience. For any woman, having trouble conceiving is an agonizing, scary and confusing time. Like many women in this situation, I had no idea what to expect while going through the IVF process and was hoping for personal support, helpful guidance, and compassionate care throughout the process, which is absolutely NOT what I found at Fertility Solutions. I felt rushed through the whole plan and was only given information on what to do next at the very last minute. I was even told "most women are too scared to know what the next step is, so we like to just do everything as it comes" after I complained for the 3rd time that I had NO IDEA what was going on. I find it hard to believe that other women are telling them they love to be left in the dark. I was told on 2 separate occasions that I needed a prescription at such a last minute, that if it was too late for the pharmacy to fill the Rx, I would just have to be off schedule with the medication. I had to look up so much information on my own that I now feel like I could teach a class on the IVF process. Communication was very poor. I had trouble speaking to someone on the phone every single time I called. The patient portal only lets you contact doctors or nurses on call, so you can't always send a message to your own personal doctor or even someone that you know there. Fertility Solutions took the already difficult process of IVF and made it even more emotionally, mentally and physically daunting.
Costs were mostly covered by insurance. We paid $2,500 for genetic screening, which we ended up not using because of unexpected results. I was never contacted about getting a refund or told anything about my balance until I contacted Fertility Solutions about the issue.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Disorganization, lack of personal touch, poor communication, failure to provide adequate information
Dedham

Dr. Anania clearly explained our course of treatment. She also explained why she changed medication orders when my estrogen was very high at egg retrieval. She tempered expectations with caution, which I appreciated, but was still upbeat when we only had two eggs grow to embryo stage...I did ask about single vs. multiple, and Dr. Anania assured me it would be only one embryo implanted at a time
I primarily communicated with [our nurse] on the web portal. She was incredibly quick to reply to my questions...Fertility Solutions does a great job making you feel comfortable and guiding you through a somewhat complicated protocol. I found everyone I talked to was friendly, understanding, proficient, and focused on my care. Scheduling was easy and I was able to get appointments before work. We had a relatively easy time of it, so I don’t have a great picture of how they deal with more complicated cases, but they communicated well and were a pleasure to work with
Dr. Anania was knowledgeable, kind, and available. It was a pleasure to work with her and her staff. Even though I only did one round of IVF at the clinic, I saw her quite a bit, for my ultrasounds, and my two procedures. Dr. Anania clearly explained our course of treatment. She also explained why she changed medication orders when my estrogen was very high at egg retrieval. She tempered expectations with caution, which I appreciated, but was still upbeat when we only had two eggs grow to embryo stage.
Make sure you understand the treatment protocol and why it has been chosen for you.
Fertility solutions is lovely to work with, particularly after my terrible experience with my first fertility clinic. The staff was friendly, recognized me when I came in the door, and was readily available via the web portal and the nurses line. The secretary in the Woburn office even made it a special point to remember the correct pronunciation of my last name. It was so refreshing to be treated like a human being.
We did one round of IVF. I started with a month of birth control, then began daily injections of gonal f 3 days into my cycle. After 5 days, cetrotide was added. I triggered with lupron. After egg retrieval, I started on twice daily estrace and three time daily progesterone suppositories. I had a mild allergic reaction to the suppositories so after my positive pregnancy test they switched me to once daily intramuscular progesterone shots.
I primarily communicated with Sue on the web portal. She was incredibly quick to reply to my questions. I’ve also spoken with Krissi on the phone who is nice but matter of fact. She left a message telling me my blood results came back positive in the most normal tone of voice, that it took me halfway through the message to realize she was telling me I was pregnant. The nurses I met in person at my egg retrieval and implantation were kind, knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Fertility Solutions does a great job making you feel comfortable and guiding you through a somewhat complicated protocol. I found everyone I talked to was friendly, understanding, proficient, and focused on my care. Scheduling was easy and I was able to get appointments before work. We had a relatively easy time of it, so I don’t have a great picture of how they deal with more complicated cases, but they communicated well and were a pleasure to work with. The one issue I had was dealt with promptly and professionally.
We had already met our deductible by the time we started at Fertility Solutions, so I paid a total of $45 for the egg retrieval (to this point). I paid almost $1000 in copays and out of pocket costs for medications.
I did ask about single vs. multiple, and Dr. Anania assured me it would be only one embryo implanted at a time. My husband is a twin and wanted twins but I was told this was quite dangerous and current methods with one embryo have shown very good results. (Lucky for me I had an excuse not to have twins!)
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
The nurse who sent me my Lupron trigger information accidentally gave me the wrong instruction sheet which was for long term lupron use, so the dosage was different than my other instructions. I didn’t notice until after 5pm, but I left a message with the answering service and Dr. Kowalik called me within 15 minutes. She told me which instructions were correct and changed out the instruction sheet on my web portal.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Carol Anania] would give me ample time during consultation and explain possibilities and probabilities of the treatment cycle...very knowledgeable and always answered my questions...asked for my opinion prior to and post every cycle...I would wish if she was more friendly...I have uterine fibroids that she recommended to be removed. My personal decision was to not remove it before having a first child.
[Fertility Solutions of New England] is a private clinic and you may feel you’re gettin a personalized care...[nurses] are nice and friendly...I could never talk to them directly when I called. I always had to leave a voicemail but they would get back later...The receptionist and the medical assistant were very friendly and caring... IVF cycle was charged $15k and each FET cycle was charged $7k.
She is very knowledgeable and always answered my questions. She always gave me honest feedbacks and asked for my opinion prior to and post every cycle. She is the only RE I have visited, so I do not have comparison. But I would wish if she was more friendly. There is another doctor in the same clinic whom I visited for ultrasounds and who did my first FET and she seems very friendly.
In my opinion, she gives her patient honest feedbacks and she is knowledgeable but it would be nice to show some desperation. Also, I feel like the clinic is expensive than the average cost I find when I do online research. I am thankful that my employer had some coverage to treatment and I was less worried about the cost but it’s good to have an estimate.
My Doctor would give me ample time during consultation and explain possibilities and probabilities of the treatment cycle.
IUI- letrozole and insemination 1 cycle of IVF in 2019- not fully completed as my doctor said I hyper-stimulated. 4 embryos were frozen. 1st FET in 12/2019- started with birth control for 3 weeks, estradiol pills and vaginal progesterone, 1 embryo (Grade 5A) transferred, which failed. 2nd FET 03/2020-started with estradiol pills and progesterone in sesame oil, 1 embryo (4A) transferred, chemical pregnancy with only 13 mIU/mL hcg
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England.
They all are nice and friendly. The only concerned I had was I could never talk to them directly when I called. I always had to leave a voicemail but they would get back later.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
It is a private clinic and you may feel you’re gettin a personalized care. I was referred to this clinic by my acupuncturist and my doctor herself is member of RESOLVE and for that reason I trust her.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Monitoring appointments were good. I visited the clinic in Woburn. The receptionist and the medical assistant were very friendly and caring. My doctors would bd different during monitoring with Dr Carol couple times.
I think my IUI cycle was around $3k IVF cycle was charged $15k and each FET cycle was charged $7k. I feel like each cycle was a little expensive than average cost.
My doctor always recommended single embryo transfer. She advised me about the complications of having multiple embryo transfer. Also, I have uterine fibroids that she recommended to be removed. My personal decision was to not remove it before having a first child. She let me know my uterus already has some space occupied by fibroids.
Dedham

Results [of IVF with Dr. Ania Kowalik]: no viable eggs were retrieved. We are currently in the midst of a second attempt ivf cycle. Dr. Kowalik has added menopur to the mix. It supplements the gonal injections... After 4 cycles of clomid, it was determined that Ivf was the best coarse of action. This was our first time going through the process. Perhaps researching the process a bit more would have been helpful as we did not know what questions to ask. Because of our limited insurance coverage and low number of retrieved eggs (5), perhaps an icsi procedure would have given us a better chance of fertilization.
While the office visits [at Fertility Solutions of New England] were somewhat personal, the egg retrieval facility has a bit of a industrial factory feel. You are lead to a back room where patients are being wheeled about in a common area where privacy is not an option. Once the retrieval is complete, the patient is wheeled back into said common area...They [nurses] promptly returned all phone calls and answered all questions no matter how rediculous they might have been. Never made us feel as though we were a bother.
Upon our initial visit, we were provided with the potential issues that have lead to our infertility. After 4 cycles of clomid, it was determined that Ivf was the best coarse of action. This was our first time going through the process. Perhaps researching the process a bit more would have been helpful as we did not know what questions to ask. Because of our limited insurance coverage and low number of retrieved eggs (5), perhaps an icsi procedure would have given us a better chance of fertilization. This option was never discussed. We have 1 more chance at retrieval with insurance coverage. Hopefully this next retrieval will be successful. All in all, Dr. Kowalik is a medical professional that presumably does what she thinks is best. We trust her.
Discuss your financial situation and how that limits the number of retrieval’s your insurance covers. Discuss the methods of fertilization to be employed with the doctor that maximize the potential for fertilization.
While the office visits were somewhat personal, the egg retrieval facility has a bit of a industrial factory feel. You are lead to a back room where patients are being wheeled about in a common area where privacy is not an option. Once the retrieval is complete, the patient is wheeled back into said common area.
8 daily gonal (250 ui) injections (increases egg production) 4 ganirelix (75 ui) injections (stops premature ovulation) 1 novarel injection (trigger shot) Total of nine days. Results: no viable eggs were retrieved. We are currently in the midst of a second attempt ivf cycle. Dr. Kowalik has added menopur to the mix. It supplements the gonal injections. Wish us luck.
They promptly returned all phone calls and answered all questions no matter how rediculous they might have been. Never made us feel as though we were a bother.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Strengths: •extremely helpful nursing staff •highly recommended compared to other facilities •clean offices Weaknesses: •Limited hours at satellite office (providence office) •Feeling of being cattle at retrieval facility.
The satellite office (Providence) hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 730 am to 9am. There is rarely a wait.
A doctor consultation is $200 Blood work and ultrasounds are billed at $200-$300 Ivf Meds billed at $4000 Ivf billed at aprox. $13,000 Our lifetime fertility coverage under insurance is $15,000 and $5000 for meds. Because of detuctibles and other financial mysteries we basically have 2 tries at Ivf. We are in the midst of our second try.
There has been no discussion of this subject.
Dedham

Clinic is very organized, clean and welcoming space. I was previously at a clinic that wasnt specialized in Fertility and Fertility Solutions is a wonderful change as there is a dedicated nursing phone line and I can communicate with the nurses through email in the portal....There was one communication issue where the nurse told me the frozen embryo transfer would be one month after my egg retrieval. When my period started I was so excited because it meant it was time for the transfer so when I called with my CD1 start date I was then told it would be after the following month.
Dr. Huang is very thorough and while at time I get frustrated because I want an immediate solution I know that ultimately she is doing the right thing. After my last miscarriage she made sure to perform a hysteroscopy herself as the D&C was performed by another doctor's office since I had "graduated" from the fertility clinic where we found pregnancy tissue left behind. She then performed an additional D&C herself where shes corrected the issue of leftover tissue and performed a second hysteroscopy to ensure the tissue was gone. Although I expressed frustrations with all the set-backs she comforted me by saying that we didn't want to place a good embryo in an uterus that was not ready/the most optimal conditions.
I feel that Dr. Huang listens to my concerns without talking over me or dismissing my thoughts as my past doctor has done. Additionally when I was experiencing a miscarriage she was very compassionate and called to check in on me several times.
For 1st FET cycle: Antagonist Protocol - Stimulated using Gonal-F, HCG & Lupron Trigger Shot. We had 19 eggs retrieved, 16 were mature, 11 fertilized and 7 embryos were sent for PGS testing (since I had a history of recurrent pregnancy loss). 5 Embryos came back PGS normal and we transferred 1 5AA PGS Normal embryo which ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Sue & Sandra)
I have primarily had great experiences with the nursing staff but I have occasionally had communication issues with the nurses where one of them isn't sure the protocol I am on or I have if there is going to be a delay in my timeline and the answer is unclear.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Our costs were primarily covered by insurance but we had to pay about $1,000 out of pocket for the FET cycle and about $4,000 for the PGS testing.
Dr. Huang preferred I only transferred one embryo because although I have a history of pregnancy loss I have had pregnancies last for several weeks+ so we know implantation occurs and she felt that the risks of a multiples pregnancy was greater for me.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
There was one communication issue where the nurse told me the frozen embryo transfer would be one month after my egg retrieval. When my period started I was so excited because it meant it was time for the transfer so when I called with my CD1 start date I was then told it would be after the following month. Although it was only a one month delay I was still devastated. Looking back on it I know the one month wasn't a big deal but just wish that was more clear up front.
Dedham

I have unexplained fertility so I'm pretty sure I was a textbook case of moving along from timed intercourse, to IUI, to IVF. She [Dr. Kowalik] did suggest around 3-4 IUIs but I was not ready to move on emotionally, and she had no problem continuing them. My IVF protocol was a standard antagonist approach and it was adjusted as the monitoring was completed. Now that things still aren't working, I am hoping for a bit of a more individualized approach.
I don't mind that I see the other doctors for procedures [at Fertility Solutions of New England] since I like the other doctors as well...Sometimes I do feel like I'm in a bit of a factory but at the same time, they are also seeing a ton of cases to get experience from...I like the nursing staff, they are usually pretty communicative and reply to messages relatively quickly. They are nice and understanding...Work with larger labs that have experience in new research. Weakness- Sometimes feels like a bit of a factory. Get annoyed that I can't ever call and speak to someone right away. Have to leave a voicemail and get a call back.
I like Dr. Kowalik. I don't mind that I see the other doctors for procedures since I like the other doctors as well. I find that she's mostly on top of things and is understanding. I do feel that she has my best interest at heart. Sometimes I do feel like I'm in a bit of a factory but at the same time, they are also seeing a ton of cases to get experience from.
Be an advocate for yourself and do the research.
She is very candid and understanding when you get a chance to talk. I found the sit down consultations better than phone calls where it was a bit rushed.
I have unexplained fertility so I'm pretty sure I was a textbook case of moving along from timed intercourse, to IUI, to IVF. She did suggest around 3-4 IUIs but I was not ready to move on emotionally, and she had no problem continuing them. My IVF protocol was a standard antagonist approach and it was adjusted as the monitoring was completed. Now that things still aren't working, I am hoping for a bit of a more individualized approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Strengths- See a lot of cases to gain experience from. All of the doctors are great. Work with larger labs that have experience in new research. Weakness- Sometimes feels like a bit of a factory. Get annoyed that I can't ever call and speak to someone right away. Have to leave a voicemail and get a call back.
Mostly everything has been covered by insurance.
Woburn

Dr. Kowalik was wonderful! She took the time to talk through everything with my husband and I. I never felt rushed, or like I couldn't ask questions...very clear in her explanations, and honest about positives and negatives along the way. At one point we had a minor setback...a small polyp was discovered during a repeat SHG, which required surgery before we could proceed with our IVF cycle. She performed this surgery as well and I was very pleased with my experience during that process as well.
As a personal preference, I wanted a clinic that was primarily women and this fit the bill! A lot of fertility doctors in my area are men, and Fertility Solutions is entirely woman owned and run. I think the only man I ever worked with was the anesthesiologist during my retrieval...Monitoring appointments were very organized. They opened early enough that I was able to fit them in before work
I honestly don't have any weaknesses to list. Dr. Kowalik was great to work with....very clear in her explanations, and honest about positives and negatives along the way. At one point we had a minor setback...a small polyp was discovered during a repeat SHG, which required surgery before we could proceed with our IVF cycle. She performed this surgery as well and I was very pleased with my experience during that process as well.
I found her to be very professional. If you are looking for "warm and fuzzy" she may not be the best fit, but my husband and I felt very comfortable with her expertise. Also, one important thing to note about this practice as a whole...if you are looking for it (it was not a priority for us at all), they do not let you know the gender of your embryos. We were told very firmly that it is against the mission of their practice.
Dr. Kowalik was wonderful! She took the time to talk through everything with my husband and I. I never felt rushed, or like I couldn't ask questions. At Fertility Solutions, a doctor (not always Dr. Kowalik, I saw Dr. Anania frequently as well) is always the one to perform your ultrasounds, so during your appointment you have a very good idea of where you are in the process and what next steps will be.
I started my journey with an HSG at a different facility (the hospital my regular OB works out of) in August of 2018. I got pregnant naturally in the same cycle as this procedure, but suffered a miscarriage in October 2018. I met with Dr. Kowalik in April 2019. We first did two IUI cycles, using Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot, and then progesterone suppositories. Both were unsuccessful. We decided to start the IVF process later in the summer of 2019. My insurance required a repeat HSG since it had been a year. During that process a small polyp was discovered, which required surgery to remove. After my surgery, I was finally able to start the stim / retrieval process in October 2019. After a cycle on birth control I was prescribed Gonal-F and Ganirelix. My retrieval yielded 8 follicles, from which we got 4 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and were sent to PGS testing. We had 1 normal embryo. I started a natural FET cycle in December 2019, and transferred my one embryo on December 23, which resulted in the little girl I am holding right now!
I mainly saw the nurses for my bloodwork and to help prep for procedures. They were all very kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
As a personal preference, I wanted a clinic that was primarily women and this fit the bill! A lot of fertility doctors in my area are men, and Fertility Solutions is entirely woman owned and run. I think the only man I ever worked with was the anesthesiologist during my retrieval. Ultrasounds were also always performed by a doctor so you had immediate feedback. They were also very quick to reply...if I left a message for a nurse I heard back before the end of the day. Instructions on next steps were always very clearly laid out, so I was never left questioning if I was doing the right thing during a potentially very confusing process.
Monitoring appointments were very organized. They opened early enough that I was able to fit them in before work. You were given an appointment time to help stagger the number of people in the office at once, so I don't think I ever waited more than 10-15 minutes.
My insurance covered most of it, so it was just co-pays/deductible. It was definitely under $1000 total for all procedures and medications.
Because of my age, we could have chosen to transfer 2 embryos had we not done PGS testing. However Dr. Kowalik did not recommend transferring 2 PGS tested embryos as the chance of success is so much higher.
Dedham

Dr. Huang is a very special human and treats every patient in the same manner. She is so empathetic and compassionate. She does her own procedures and is tremendously kind...took great care in connecting with me as a human. She understood my goals and respected my wishes for treatment. Even when I later moved out of state, I was able to rely on her for medical counsel and compassion. She’s a really special medical provider.
The nursing staff at Fertility Solutions is amazing. No matter who I dealt with I got very quick and informative replies and felt no lack of continuity in care. Their compassion is world class...Strengths — treat everyone so personally, doctors perform procedures not technicians. It’s a small operation which I loved, so you will have to go to different locations sometimes but that didn’t bother me. They seemed to have a really easy time dealing with my Health insurance too and didn’t cause any stress on that front.
Dr. Huang took great care in connecting with me as a human. She understood my goals and respected my wishes for treatment. Even when I later moved out of state, I was able to rely on her for medical counsel and compassion. She’s a really special medical provider.
Dr. Huang explains why she recommends each treatment and procedure so even if you don’t think of all your questions she will be super helpful. You can rest assured you will be in great hands.
With Dr. Huang I did unmedicated IUIs at my request and she respected my wishes on that. It felt like a very collaborative approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Sue Tilden)
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Almost nothing. My insurance covered over 95% of treatment and meds (other than donor sperm).
I haven’t done any embryo transfers.
Cambridge

Treatment 1 [with Dr. Anania]: Estrogen priming, 450IUs Gonal F, Cetrotide, Fresh transfer despite high P4 on trigger day. Treatment 2: Despite only getting 1 embryo she blasted my ovaries with 600IUs of Gonal and Menopur, mis-identified a cycst as a follicle despite my estrogen being low, did not address my rising P4, and did not monitor me for 3 days at the end despite having large follicles. Ended up with a 2.2 P4, over stimulated, poor egg quality, and in the ER after she decided to transfer 3 poor quality embryos inside me...never reached out to me personally after my failed cycles. When I told her I did not want to do a fresh transfer with a rising progesterone she literally didn't care and made it seem like it was a fresh transfer or discarding my embryo even though it was a 3AA and could have been frozen. Never followed up with me in a way that made it seem like she had any clue who I was.
Nurses are okay [at Fertility Solutions of New England], friendly enough but cannot answer questions without asking the doctor first...The finance team is brutal to work with...Dr. Anania never reached out to me personally after my failed cycles. When I told her I did not want to do a fresh transfer with a rising progesterone she literally didn't care and made it seem like it was a fresh transfer or discarding my embryo even though it was a 3AA and could have been frozen. Never followed up with me in a way that made it seem like she had any clue who I was. Doctor Nps
Completely impersonal, which doesn't really matter as long as she knows whas she's doing. Unfortunately, it was like I new more than she did hence two failed IVF cycles that even I could identify the problems with. You do not do a fresh transfer with a 1.76 and 2.2 progesterone level on the day of trigger. You do not do a fresh transfer when your patient calls you crying that she doesn't want to. You do not go 3 days without monitoring on 600IUs when there are 3 18mm follicles. In addition to that, I never got a single call after my failed cycles to see how I was doing or to have a follow-up consultation.
Do your research and don't let her make decisions that are completely contrary to every study you have ever read and is contradictory to what even your insurance company tells you.
Treatment 1: Estrogen priming, 450IUs Gonal F, Cetrotide, Fresh transfer despite high P4 on trigger day. Treatment 2: Despite only getting 1 embryo she blasted my ovaries with 600IUs of Gonal and Menopur, mis-identified a cycst as a follicle despite my estrogen being low, did not address my rising P4, and did not monitor me for 3 days at the end despite having large follicles. Ended up with a 2.2 P4, over stimulated, poor egg quality, and in the ER after she decided to transfer 3 poor quality embryos inside me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Nurses are okay, friendly enough but cannot answer questions without asking the doctor first which is different from my current clinic where they have actual medical knowledge. The finance team is brutal to work with and nobody suggested that I get new insurance during open enrollment and put me on self pay after I maxed out my benefit. The financial coordinator at my new clinic told me to do that right away and even told me which insurance companies were the easiest to work with.
They were fine
I had a $15k max on my insurance and paid the rest out of pocket
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Maybe I wouldn't be pregnant right now, but I didn't even get a fighting chance with the way my case was so poorly handled. I still get angry about it almost daily.
Woburn

My husband and myself both really liked [Dr. Pei-Li Huang]...she was very personable and very easy to talk with. She made the environment very relaxed and answered all questions we had. She doesn’t treat you like a number and is very informative of what she sees while doing a follicular ultrasound...When I first met with her we decided we would try times intercourse with letrozole. We did that and only had one follicle grow from there we tried clomid and saw no results and lastly we combined letrozole and clomid and saw no results again. Waiting to start our next plan of action
Jamie [nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England] is wonderful. Very friendly always ask how your weekend was and takes you right in time...I feel like dr huang has kind of given up on what’s next. I feel like we are running out of options quickly and I feel like we have only just begun...When I first met with her we decided we would try times intercourse with letrozole. We did that and only had one follicle grow from there we tried clomid and saw no results and lastly we combined letrozole and clomid and saw no results again. Waiting to start our next plan of action
My husband and myself both really liked huang she was very personable and very easy to talk with. She made the environment very relaxed and answered all questions we had. She doesn’t treat you like a number and is very informative of what she sees while doing a follicular ultrasound
Ask questions and be aggressive
Doctor huang is very personable and made me not feel like a number
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Jamie is wonderful. Very friendly always ask how your weekend was and takes you right in time.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I feel like dr huang has kind of given up on what’s next. I feel like we are running out of options quickly and I feel like we have only just begun. One problem is my insurance coverage not being great.
Every time I have in ultrasound I have a 40$ copay. Also have had a few small bills for bloodwork
Woburn

Dr Kowalik is great with explanations and when you contact her she’s quick to get back to you...is blunt and to the point. We appreciated this. She doesn’t waste any time and responds fully to questions and concerns. We paid completely out of pocket and she had been very understanding of our needs to order/purchase labs elsewhere or working with our OB to get them through our insurance...You won’t be seeing Dr Kowalik specifically for all of your appointments. They let you know this however in advance, it’s not something they try to hide.
Everyone at the clinic is great and so friendly. It’s a little tricky getting a hold of the financial department some times, but beyond that we’ve had a great experience. I would definitely recommend using Fertility Solutions... this is the only clinic we have used but comparing online we felt this clinic was reasonable [when it comes to cost]...You won’t be seeing Dr Kowalik specifically for all of your appointments. They let you know this however in advance, it’s not something they try to hide.
Dr Kowalik is blunt and to the point. We appreciated this. She doesn’t waste any time and responds fully to questions and concerns. We paid completely out of pocket and she had been very understanding of our needs to order/purchase labs elsewhere or working with our OB to get them through our insurance.
We are still in treatment and are now moving to medication treatments so I cannot comment on this.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I have nothing to compare it to as this is the only clinic we have used but comparing online we felt this clinic was reasonable.
Dedham

She[Dr. Anania] throws a lot of information at you in the first meeting and it can be overwhelming. Since i'd been TTC for the past year I was familiar with much of the terminology and testing she referred to. If this is your first step on your fertility journey then do some research beforehand...From the moment she enters the waiting room, when she warmly greets all those waiting to her phone call follow ups when things are confusing I feel like she sees me as a human and not a number.
Weaknesses [at Fertility Solutions of New England]-Testing and ultrasounds are not available before 7:30am. At first I thought this was a great time but I recently found out that other centers in the area open at 6am...Strengths-Great staff, Woburn location is easy to access from highway and plenty of parking, the portal is great for communcating with nurses and doctors and viewing test results, test results are available within a few hours and if something is not as expected then I receive a call from the nurse or doctor, depending on who I met with that day. I like that they are proactive in calling me about next steps after a negative pregnancy test; it gives me something to focus on.
I was referred to Doctor Anania after 3 unsuccessful unmonitored/unmedicated IUI's using a local midwife. From the first visit she took a great deal of time to explain all the options and then asked me questions to help me make the best decision for me. Whenever I have a question or concern I have gotten an answer and she also explains things to me so I understand what is going on.
She throws a lot of information at you in the first meeting and it can be overwhelming. Since i'd been TTC for the past year I was familiar with much of the terminology and testing she referred to. If this is your first step on your fertility journey then do some research beforehand.
Baseline testing Cycle 1-monitored cycle with Ovidrel trigger; negative pregnancy test Cycle 2-monitored cycle with Clomid, was surging when I went for my midcycle and ultrasound so no trigger, Endometrin, negative pregnancy test Cycle 3-monitored cycle showed ovarian cyst producing hormones so cancelled Cycle 4-monitored cycle with Clomid, Ovidrel trigger; endometrin, currently in TWW
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Erin )
Every member of the nursing staff has been amazing! Erin is a great resource and I feel like I can always ask her questions no matter how silly they may sound. I mainly see Jamie because she is on duty for morning ultrasounds and bloodwork, and she is always welcoming and considerate despite the early hour. Sandra has also been great answering questions thru the portal.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Strengths-Great staff, Woburn location is easy to access from highway and plenty of parking, the portal is great for communcating with nurses and doctors and viewing test results, test results are available within a few hours and if something is not as expected then I receive a call from the nurse or doctor, depending on who I met with that day. I like that they are proactive in calling me about next steps after a negative pregnancy test; it gives me something to focus on. Weaknesses-Testing and ultrasounds are not available before 7:30am. At first I thought this was a great time but I recently found out that other centers in the area open at 6am.
PCP referral so no cost for initial appointments Insurance covered all testing, some co-pays for advanced testing 3 IUI monitored cycles with Clomid $2500 (buy 2 get one free LOL!) Clomid, Ovidrel, Endometrin-Insurance covered, co-pays under $50 per med.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Solutions of New England?
The nurse had called about coming in for a pre-Clomid ultrasound along with my bloodwork. When I got there the ultrasound wasn't scheduled. However, they were able to access the portal and I got the ultrasound on the spot. I was impressed they were able to make this all happen so quickly.
Woburn

She [Dr. Pei-Li Huang] is very communicative and kind. She can be blunt, but I appreciated her practical approach. She is also kind and responsive to anxiety and the stress of the process. I did find her to be a little bit clinical at times but most doctors are.... For medicated IUI cycles she recommended letrozole rather than clomid due to lining issues and also a reduced chance of multiples. They do blood work and ultrasound monitoring with all medicated cycles.
The clinic [Fertility Solutions of NE] is a bit smaller than some others in the area, which I like because it feels more intimate and less assembly-line. The multiple locations are very helpful for scheduling monitoring close to home. We didn’t realize procedures (IUI and IVF) were all done in Needham at first, but it ended up not being a big deal. I am glad they have on-call doctors around on the weekend because we had to do our first IUI on a Sunday morning! The office is very clean and relaxing.
She is very communicative and kind. She can be blunt, but I appreciated her practical approach. She is also kind and responsive to anxiety and the stress of the process. I did find her to be a little bit clinical at times but most doctors are.
Advocate for yourself. She is great about answering questions so don’t be afraid to be annoying by reaching out so you feel comfortable.
She was very attentive to our specific situation and needs. I appreciated that she responded directly to my questions with a returned phone call rather than communicating through the nurse. She was willing to answer lots of questions which I found helpful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
They were very kind during failed cycles when I was upset. Flexible with scheduling and very positive about our prospects without being annoying. I felt very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
The clinic is a bit smaller than some others in the area, which I like because it feels more intimate and less assembly-line. The multiple locations are very helpful for scheduling monitoring close to home. We didn’t realize procedures (IUI and IVF) were all done in Needham at first, but it ended up not being a big deal. I am glad they have on-call doctors around on the weekend because we had to do our first IUI on a Sunday morning! The office is very clean and relaxing.
Unmonitored/unmedicated IUI was $475 out of pocket. Medicated/monitored IUI was $1,000 out of pocket, which included all monitoring appointments. Medication was billed separately through the pharmacy. They are very transparent about pricing.
Providence

Round 1[with Dr. Pei-Li Huang]: Birth control followed by gonal-f and ganarelex, then trigger shot and PIO. 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, 1 blast transferred on day 5, 0 frozen Round 2: Estrace followed by lupron and gonal-f, then trigger shot and PIO. 13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 0 made to blast/0 transferred/0 frozen Round 3 (in progress): Estrace followed by menopur and gonal-f, then ganarelex, trigger shot, PIO and endometrim inserts.
They [Fertility Solutions of NE- Providence] have multiple offices which is great. They also have early morning appointment times for blood work and ultrasounds, so you don’t have to miss too much work if you have a 9-5 job. Appointments start at 7 am... The intake process for routine monitoring was very smooth. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes, even without an appointment
I had a great experience with Dr. Huang and all the doctors at Fertility Solitions. They are informative, transparent, and easily accessible for questions. Dr. Huang always makes herself available when I need to call her, and she personally delivers the news about how our embryos are developing after retrieval. I have had a great experience with Dr. Huang.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Dr. Huang is always happy to explain things.
Dr. Huang is the most caring, personable doctor I’ve seen. She truly cares about her patients and shows empathy and compassion.
Round 1: Birth control followed by gonal-f and ganarelex, then trigger shot and PIO. 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, 1 blast transferred on day 5, 0 frozen Round 2: Estrace followed by lupron and gonal-f, then trigger shot and PIO. 13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 0 made to blast/0 transferred/0 frozen Round 3 (in progress): Estrace followed by menopur and gonal-f, then ganarelex, trigger shot, PIO and endometrim inserts.
The nurses are so caring, compassionate, and informative. They are always available to answer questions and return phone calls the same day
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
They have multiple offices which is great. They also have early morning appointment times for blood work and ultrasounds, so you don’t have to miss too much work if you have a 9-5 job. Appointments start at 7 am
Deductibles and co-pays for appointments and medications
Dr. Huang prefers single embryo transfer
Providence

She [Dr. Kowalik] has a warm but no-nonsense bedside manner. She’s very focused and kept us on track, but compassionate as well. She’s laughed with us, cried with us and hugged us... We were always a low probability case, and she was realistic but very compassionate with us, promising (and following through on her promises) to do everything she could to help us achieve success one way or another...The first observation Dr. Kowalik made after reading my records was that I clearly had insufficient luteal support and she switched me to PIO shots.
Strengths [at Fertility Solutions of New England]: communication, compassion and true partnership with their patients. Also willing to “think outside the box” and try treatments that more conservative or high volume (factory style) clinics will not consider. I love that I could communicate directly with my doctor pretty much whenever I wanted to. Weaknesses: I honestly did not encounter any. I think maybe only once I didn’t get a phone call returned the same day. And I called a lot. The handle to the clinic’s front door was loose for a few months, but even that has been fixed. I have to really stretch to find anything to criticize. Coming here after having had a frustrating experience at a high-volume clinic made me really appreciate how well they do everything. They take pride in their work, as all clinics should, but they understand that each patient is a person who carries a lot of pain due to infertility, and they take success and failures as personally as their patients do. Their patients are not just statistics to them, they are family.
We came to Dr. Kowalik after a less than ideal experience at another clinic. We were always a low probability case, and she was realistic but very compassionate with us, promising (and following through on her promises) to do everything she could to help us achieve success one way or another. In the month between the 2 rounds we did with her, I actually fell pregnant naturally. However, it was not to be. Dr. Kowalik did everything she could to help me sustain the pregnancy until it was clear that it would not continue, and cared for me through the miscarriage. We made adjustments for the final round and finally, an embryo took. My husband and I were already talking about moving onto donor eggs assuming the final round would fail, and she said that she’d help us through that if it came to donor eggs, but in the meantime, she was 100% focused on the round at hand and needed us to be the same. Her commitment to her patients is unparalleled.
Be honest with her. Let her know exactly what’s on your mind and she will do everything in her power to get you to your goal.
She has a warm but no-nonsense bedside manner. She’s very focused and kept us on track, but compassionate as well. She’s laughed with us, cried with us and hugged us.
My previous clinic used an antagonist protocol with estrogen priming and crinone for luteal support. I bled before both betas there. The first observation Dr. Kowalik made after reading my records was that I clearly had insufficient luteal support and she switched me to PIO shots. Concerned that the priming was suppressing me too much (I’d had 4 mature eggs in each of my first 2 rounds), she switched me to a microflare protocol (10 Lupron morning and night, 450 Gonal F). In the first round we got 5 eggs, all mature, all fertilized. 1 had arrested and 1 was arresting on day 3- we transferred the other 3 and beta was negative. For the second round, protocol remained the same except we added Omnitrope (.333) for the 9 days of stims as well as EmbryoGen growth medium. We got 4 eggs, all mature, all fertilized. All were still growing on day 3, despite one being graded poor and 2 fair on day 1. All were transferred. We achieved pregnancy and I learned at my first ultrasound with my ob that 2 had actually implanted, though only one developed. I’m currently 21 weeks pregnant with that one.
They are wonderful. Quick to return phone calls (usually within the hour) and always informed and prepared to discuss my case. During retrieval procedures, they were a constant reassuring presence- provided great care while making it feel like a visit with friends. There were almost 4 months between my retrievals and during the second, one of the nurses actually remembered a conversation we’d been having at the previous retrieval. That’s when you know they care about their patients as the people we are.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Strengths: communication, compassion and true partnership with their patients. Also willing to “think outside the box” and try treatments that more conservative or high volume (factory style) clinics will not consider. I love that I could communicate directly with my doctor pretty much whenever I wanted to. Weaknesses: I honestly did not encounter any. I think maybe only once I didn’t get a phone call returned the same day. And I called a lot. The handle to the clinic’s front door was loose for a few months, but even that has been fixed. I have to really stretch to find anything to criticize. Coming here after having had a frustrating experience at a high-volume clinic made me really appreciate how well they do everything. They take pride in their work, as all clinics should, but they understand that each patient is a person who carries a lot of pain due to infertility, and they take success and failures as personally as their patients do. Their patients are not just statistics to them, they are family.
I remember that pit of pocket, the cost would have been close to $9000, which was comparable to my previous clinic. I am lucky to have good insurance, so aside from the medication costs (about $275 for each round), the rounds themselves cost $40 each and my consultations with Dr. Kowalik were also $40.
I’d had this discussion with my previous clinic. Due to my age and the limited number of embryos we always got, we were always going to transfer all that looked healthy, within SART guidelines.

Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr Huang showed a great deal of compassion towards our struggle from the beginning, and the moment I met her I knew she would do everything she could to help us. She is devoted to ensuring her patients receive individual and personal care. It’s Dr Huang’s mission to make everyone feel safe and comfortable and she certainly succeeds in this.... However, as more information about my condition was uncovered, I felt as though next steps and the “right thing to do” was a guess. I know fertility doctors do not know it all by any means, but I wasn’t sure the complexity of my case was within her realm
Everyone at Fertility Solutions, including the nurses, all of the doctors and the front desk staff were absolutely wonderful. They were caring, kind and empathetic. They delivered negative news to me in a delicate and careful way and Dr Huang and her nurses never made me feel as though I was bothering them with all my questions and worries.... There are only 3 doctors at Fertility Solutions. Even though Dr Huang was my primary doctor, I often saw the other two for ultrasounds and they called me for bloodwork results or next steps.
Dr Huang showed a great deal of compassion towards our struggle from the beginning, and the moment I met her I knew she would do everything she could to help us. She is devoted to ensuring her patients receive individual and personal care. It’s Dr Huang’s mission to make everyone feel safe and comfortable and she certainly succeeds in this. If you’re looking for a clinic where you’re not a number and your hand is held every step of the way, this is the place to go. However, as more information about my condition was uncovered, I felt as though next steps and the “right thing to do” was a guess. I know fertility doctors do not know it all by any means, but I wasn’t sure the complexity of my case was within her realm (and by the way, my case was very complicated and somewhat a mystery!). Often times I craved upfront and candid direction but was instead given a range of choices that could work, or could not work, it would all totally depend. Again, infertility is frustrating and unclear for many, but at a certain point, I needed a more experienced doctor/surgeon to take over my case so I moved on to another clinic for another opinion.
Smaller clinics like Fertility Solutions certainly have their benefits (more individualized attention, personal experiences, safe and comfortable environments), but because they see a smaller number of patients, they tend to not “see it all” in terms of cases and conditions. If you have a complicated diagnosis, go with a larger hospital or clinic with more doctors.
Everyone at Fertility Solutions, including the nurses, all of the doctors and the front desk staff were absolutely wonderful. They were caring, kind and empathetic. They delivered negative news to me in a delicate and careful way and Dr Huang and her nurses never made me feel as though I was bothering them with all my questions and worries. They always answered their phones and called right back, which is rare for a fertility clinic.
I started with IUI as most fertility clinics do. This was when I didn’t have a diagnosis of endometriosis yet. All 3 cycles failed. I moved to IVF and I was put on 225 units of Gonal F and cetrotide. I remember thinking my Gonal F needed to be increased more after a certain stage of egg development but they kept it about the same. I had 23 eggs retrieved. No hyper-stimulation. Did a fresh transfer which resulted in an ovarian ectopic. I sadly lost my ovary in the surgery I received to remove the pregnancy. But I bounced back fairly quickly and transferred the remaining 6 embryos I had left, month after month. All failed. I did one more egg retrieval with Dr Huang with my one ovary and they retrieved 9 eggs. 3 became embryos and we did PGS. Only 1 was normal and sadly, I had another ectopic. This was when we decided to switch clinics
They were all wonderful, helpful and compassionate. Well aligned with the mission of Fertility Solutions. When I switched clinics, I missed their high level of attentiveness and care.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
There are only 3 doctors at Fertility Solutions. Even though Dr Huang was my primary doctor, I often saw the other two for ultrasounds and they called me for bloodwork results or next steps. I got to know all of them, and all of them were wonderful.
I could go in between 7-9am and I actually enjoyed my monitoring visits! The reason is because I loved the staff at the Woburn office. Jaime, the woman who draws blood there (she’s the only one!) is warm, sweet and nurturing. It was a pleasure talking to her - she distracted me from the pain and stress and made me smile every single time I was in. I am so grateful for her and for Deb, an admin at the Woburn office as well. What a wonderful team they were.
I was lucky to have insurance cover the majority of my treatments, so I did not pay much out of pocket.
We did eSET which I thought was the right choice
Cambridge
Dr.Kowalik is down to earth. I brought in a huge folder of all my past test and bloodwork my first day meeting her and she sat there and went through each page. Most doctors I've had experiences with would have pushed it aside. She even calls with updsates versus having staff do it. She explaines things in "mechanic terms for my husband so he can understand each process we will embark on.
They [Fertility Solutions of NE] are organized respond quickly either on the phone or if you are like me(busy bee with anxiety) you can communicate right through a patient messaging system. As far as weaknesses maybe their site can be a little more informative. As a new patient I would say be ready for an experience of a lifetime and I wouldn't recommend any other practice
Lay it all on the table, she is very understanding and doesn't judge .
I felt like a human because Dr.Kowalik was straight to the point. She did not sugar coat what the outcome may be or leave details out. She was very informative and actually reaches out during the process versus previous doctors whom I've only met during the consult.
I will be planning on proceeding with an antagonist cycle with Lupron to prevent ohss since I have pcos. I have started with provera to induce a cycle and will start with a month of birth control.
Very informative and helpful all the way to finding the best pricing on meds (the whole process is out of pocket for us)
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
They are organized respond quickly either on the phone or if you are like me(busy bee with anxiety) you can communicate right through a patient messaging system. As far as weaknesses maybe their site can be a little more informative. As a new patient I would say be ready for an experience of a lifetime and I wouldn't recommend any other practice
Our consult and bloodwork were about a 1000 Ivf cycle is around 9500 And meds around 5000
She explained that if we have healthy embryos then 1 would be ideal. My husband and myself have decided on 2 either way in which she advised us against it but after deliberation we will be signing a form to allow 2
Dedham
She was amazing with bedside manner to spare! ... Dr. Anania was a breath of fresh air in this difficult journey. I came to her very distraught from a bad experience at a previous clinic. She always took her time and had a thorough discussion with me. She actually listens and cares! ... I was offered a treatment of clomid IUI, but I declined as this had not worked previously.
The only weaknesses are location for those in central Mass and the BMI cut off, otherwise I could not recommend this clinic [Fertility Solutions of New England] more highly. All of the staff are warm and accommodating. They make you feel like the only patient while you are there. All services are done in house by the doctor, not technicians! ... I was not a candidate for IVF with this clinic because they have a strict weight limit and I was 1 BMI point too high in the end.
She is the best doctor I have ever had!
After an awful experience with another clinic, Dr. Anania was the next clinic that accepted my insurance (although clear across the state and very inconvenient), so I booked a consult. She was amazing with bedside manner to spare! She not only heard me out, but she ran a diagnostic and scrutinized my prior clinic to give correct information about my treatment options. She was kind enough to refer me elsewhere when it was determined she could not treat me.
I was offered a treatment of clomid IUI, but I declined as this had not worked previously. I was not a candidate for IVF with this clinic because they have a strict weight limit and I was 1 BMI point too high in the end. She was patient and allowed me time to lose weight, but in the end I was unable to lose enough weight fast enough and there was concern if we kept waiting I may not have any eggs left. I genuinely tried, but the weight wasn’t dropping fast enough. She was kind enough to recommend a clinic who would treat me, rather than waste time.
I don’t recall any poor experiences, but I mostly dealt with the doctor.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
The only weaknesses are location for those in central Mass and the BMI cut off, otherwise I could not recommend this clinic more highly. All of the staff are warm and accommodating. They make you feel like the only patient while you are there. All services are done in house by the doctor, not technicians!
I only pay deductible and copays with my insurance.
Dedham
Dr. Huang is patient, kind, realistic and empathetic... I appreciate that she takes the time to make personal phone calls, whereas I know other doctors at other clinics do not call their patients directly. She is patient with questions and explains everything in a way that we can understand...Two medicated IUI cycles-...was honest that it was reasonable to give IUI a chance before moving on directly to IVF.
They [nurses at Fertility Solutions of New England] call back EVERY TiME and are always prepared with your notes/files when they call back. They are patient, empathetic and sympathetic when need be...Quick turnaround time to make an appointment. Financial team, nurses and doctors are obviously a cohesive team trying to make things easy for their patients and it shows. Your doctors will perform all IVF related ultrasounds, which also isn't typical at other clinics and in my opinion is a huge relief and benefit to this clinic.
We are still in the middle of treatment between our 1st and 2nd IVF cycles with Dr. Huang. I appreciate that she takes the time to make personal phone calls, whereas I know other doctors at other clinics do not call their patients directly. She is patient with questions and explains everything in a way that we can understand. She is hopeful, empathetic and also realistic in setting expectations.
Try to get an appointment with her!
Dr. Huang is patient, kind, realistic and empathetic.
Two medicated IUI cycles- we tried this before moving onto IVF due to lack of insurance coverage. If we had coverage at the time, I would have rather gone directly to IVF, but Dr. Huang was honest that it was reasonable to give IUI a chance before moving on directly to IVF.
They call back EVERY TiME and are always prepared with your notes/files when they call back. They are patient, empathetic and sympathetic when need be.
Still in progress
Dedham

Dr. Huang is a kind and compassionate doctor. Several days following my miscarriage, she called me personally to make sure that I was okay. My first retrieval yielded less eggs than anticipated, and I am curious to see what changes in medications, etc. that she will recommend for my upcoming retrieval. I'm hoping for a better outcome...Protocol yielded 6 eggs, all of which were mature. I was told at the beginning to expect around 12 eggs, so I was disappointed with these numbers.
IVF fresh with included frozen transfer, around $9000 [at Fertility Solutions of New England]...Convenient locations in and around the Boston/southeast MA area. I experienced poor communication with the financial team at the beginning of my cycle. As a self-pay customer, I called to coordinate payment with the financial coordinator. I left a message and did not hear back from her. I had to call repeatedly to get a response...Dr. Huang is a kind and compassionate doctor. Several days following my miscarriag
Advocate for yourself. Ask lots of questions if you are unsure of anything.
Baseline AFC showed 12-16 follicles. Antagonist protocol was used; started with 250 follistim; was dropped to 150 after a few days because of increased estrogen. Stimmed for approx. 8 days. Protocol yielded 6 eggs, all of which were mature. I was told at the beginning to expect around 12 eggs, so I was disappointed with these numbers.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
IVF fresh with included frozen transfer, around $9000.
Dedham

I really feel like she [Dr. Anania] is committed to having a good outcomes for my husband and I...She takes the time to speak with you and doesnt make you feel rushed. She also takes the time to explain and re-explain issues if they arise. Dr has called me personally a few times to discuss result of blood draw and ultrasound... Instead of rushing into a cycle where my hormones levels weren’t right she recommended I wait and restart cycle. She also remembered I’m a patient that is paying completely out of pocket, I feel like she she actually remembered me as a patient not just a patient ID #.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Solutions of New England] is responsive and compassionate...Not including medication approx $9,500...Clearn, organized with multiple locations throughout the state of Massachusetts which is helpful for the routine lab work and ultrasounds. The staff at check-in at the Woburn locations was nice and pleasant. Medical Assistant Jamie was awesome always with a friendly smile, also gentle with the blood draws!
When I talk with Dr. Anania I feel confident in her plan that she is setting for me. Instead of rushing into a cycle where my hormones levels weren’t right she recommended I wait and restart cycle. She also remembered I’m a patient that is paying completely out of pocket, I feel like she she actually remembered me as a patient not just a patient ID #. I really feel like she is committed to having a good outcomes for my husband and I.
Go prepared with any questions you have for her.
The nursing staff is responsive and compassionate.
Not including medication approx $9,500