Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
8010 Frost Street
San Diego, CA 92123
858.505.5500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Specialists Medical Group to a friend?

3 doctors
2013 - 2014
Results came back quickly, the entire staff [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] was on the same page with our record and day-to-day details. We found their costs to be honest, up front, and they even gave us tips on where to get the discounted or less expensive meds. ... op notch doesn't even begin to explain the nursing staff. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to our nurse at each visit and the nurses in the O.R. they were kind, compassionate, attentive and professional.
2013 - 2014
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The only thing I can think of that wasn't ideal was the wait to get in for a consultation. We waited maybe two months to get an appointment, but once we we decided to move forward we had no issues getting appointments. We both liked that they offered early a.m. appointments as we could go before work. We also appreciated they offered free parking and had a cozy waiting room. But I think we the fact that they were an all encompassing (had their own lab, could do all blood draws on-site, did egg retrievals and embryo transfers under the same room) was incredible. Results came back quickly, the entire staff was on the same page with our record and day-to-day details. We found their costs to be honest, up front, and they even gave us tips on where to get the discounted or less expensive meds. Really no complaints.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Morales had reviewed our file before our Consultation and as we discussed our options she was already prepared according to our specific needs and contents of our file. She addressed our concerns honestly and while being blunt she still showed compassion to our situation. She was extremely detailed oriented and kindly entertained and answered the page of questions and concerns we had. Throughout the duration of our treatment she spoke to us by name, always made eye contact, asked personal questions that were specific to us and genuinely showed sadness and concern when things didn't look good with our embryos. After our miracle embryo took she did a happy dance with us in the office to celebrate. She checked in with me during each blood draw and even made a personal call after I was no longer under their care and was transferred to my OBGYN.
Top notch doesn't even begin to explain the nursing staff. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to our nurse at each visit and the nurses in the O.R. they were kind, compassionate, attentive and professional. We were greeted by name by each nurse we interacted with, I had various nurses checking in on my at blood draws, the nurses in the O.R. were EXTREMELY patient when I was emotionally a wreck. The nurse we had at the embryo transfer was a rock for us as we dealt this shocking news. A handful of nurses did a happy dance with us when we got a positive pregnancy test and the nurse who called to tell me about our positive pregnancy test cried with me over the phone. We couldn't have been more impressed with the nursing staff.
How was your experience with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Morales is a straight-to-the-point woman. She does not sugar coat anything, but still has the skill to show compassion. She is detail oriented and as many times as she has met new clients, she still managed to make us feel like we were her only clients. I've heard others say her bedside manner was cold, but I didn't find that to be true at all. My previous doctor treated us like a number and didn't care when our IUIs failed, Dr Morales was honest and kind. We appreciated her bedside manner and found it to be honest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
The only thing I wished I had asked was what her failure rate was. I wouldn't expect her to offer that up, but I wish I had asked. Prior to our experience I had never met anyone who had a failed IVF experience and as we came close to that end I was shocked. A couple of years later when friends of ours underwent IVF and had zero embryos I was in shock again. I had never heard of that happening, but of course should have known better and asked.
Describe the protocols Arlene Morales used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
I began by taking Progesterone + Estrogen/Estrace (2mg) 2x/day prior to and through my cycle. After my cycle ended I took Follistim (300IU) and Micro hCG (10 IU) for one week. After a blood draw at week 1 I took the Antagonist = Ganirelix 1x/day while being monitored. For Egg Retrieval I took HCG (3333 units) as a subcutaneous injection + Dostinex (.5mg) tablet daily for 7 days. Day before egg retrieval I had no injections or medications. Morning Day of egg retrieval I had no injections or medications. Evening of egg retrieval I began - Progesterone (400mg) vaginal capsule 2x/day which continued through first week of pregnancy. I also started Doxycycline (100mg) 2x/day for only 5 days + Estrace (2mg) tablet 2x/day + Aspirin (81mg) 1x/day + Dostinex (.5mg) 1x/day After positive pregnancy test I continued the Progesterone for a week.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Clinic Fee $4500 + Surgery/O.R. (egg retrieval & embryo transfer) $6000 both due at start of agreement. Anesthesiologist for egg retrieval $460 and was paid directly to the anesthesiologist on the day of retrieval. We also chose to do an updated blood/hormone panel for me which cost $700. Our insurance helped with some of the over-the-counter medications ($6 for Aspirin & $6 for Estradiol). Injectables, needles, alcohol pads, progesterone, trigger shots, and other medications cost approximately $7000. Our insurance paid half of the cost for the egg retrieval so we were reimbursed roughly $1500 if I remember correctly. Had we need Cryopreservation for embryos it would have been $1100 and embryo storage would have been billed $65 monthly or $600 annually.
Describe Arlene Morales's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
My husband and I had decided we only wanted a single embryo transferred and since we had both been diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility Dr. Morales fully supported that decision.
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.

Doctors [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] are too busy to explain what they are doing and why...Never expect a phone call or email from a nurse - let alone from a doctor here. With an office this big, two locations, and so many staff members, there REALLY needs to be systems in place. The disorganization here is frustrating. For example, sometimes I was seen in both locations and my files were not always in the right location, even though I spoke with the front desk about ensuring my files would be available when I made each appointment. Also, when I finally decided I deserved better patient care, I requested my medical records and some of the records were missing. I had to advocate for myself to get the complete set of records because this office didn't have it all together themselves.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strengths of this clinic include having two locations in San Diego, nice offices, and great availability for appointments. The Carlsbad location is really nice and new. The San Diego office is very large. It is easy to get appointments same day/week. However, these factors don't really matter as much compared to the office's weaknesses. Weaknesses of this clinic include terrible communication, disorganization, poor systems and disjointed staff. Communication is their biggest downfall. Doctors are too busy to explain what they are doing and why. Doctors act like they are trying to see as many patients as humanly possible in a day so they can collect a bigger paycheck (from you and from your insurance). Never expect a phone call or email from a nurse - let alone from a doctor here. With an office this big, two locations, and so many staff members, there REALLY needs to be systems in place. The disorganization here is frustrating. For example, sometimes I was seen in both locations and my files were not always in the right location, even though I spoke with the front desk about ensuring my files would be available when I made each appointment. Also, when I finally decided I deserved better patient care, I requested my medical records and some of the records were missing. I had to advocate for myself to get the complete set of records because this office didn't have it all together themselves.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
When you sit down with Dr. Maas for a consult, she is kind. But for most of the appointments (monitoring, discussing treatment, etc.), she seems rushed and does not ask if you have any questions. Often times I left my appointment wondering what happened or why something was recommended next. I often felt in the dark. I wrote a list of questions to ask at the next appointment and I stopped her before she left to ask her about it all. This made me feel like I was just a patient to collect insurance and copayments from, not to help along in this difficult journey. Also, at most appointments, I was asked by various staff when my LMP was even though I have completely anovulatory PCOS. It seemed like the clinic should have this noted in my chart, and that made me feel like a number rather than a person.
This office has many different nurses, and I often saw a different nurse each time. I never got to learn their names even though I had been at the clinic for over 6 months. Nurses are friendly, but they are frustratingly difficult to communicate with. They also . When my husband got his semen analysis, I called the office about the results/interpretation and a nurse said she would "spread the word" about the results to be on the lookout for them and then call me back. This response was unprofessional and awkward, and we never did get a call back that day. It was a Friday so we gave them the benefit of the doubt as having a busy day, but we still did not get the results until I called again that Monday or Tuesday. Communication with nurses was one of the most frustrating parts of my time with this clinic. Often you could not get ahold of a nurse so you would be sent to voicemail and the majority of the time you would not get a call back. If you did get to talk to a nurse, it was a different one each time. I felt like I (and my my concerns/questions/voicemails) got lost in the poorly organized system of this office.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
How was your experience with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Maas is kind, intelligent and well-trained. I appreciated that she does seem to care, but she seems to have too many patients. I did NOT feel well cared for by her or this clinic. The rushed time at monitoring appointments and insufficient explanations in the process were defeating.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
If you have any questions, ask before you leave. Also, know that there are other doctors who have more time and better systems in place where you can receive the individualized support you need. Do not settle for a doctor just because you're already there.
Describe the protocols Kristi Maas used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
My very first cycle under the care of a fertility specialist was with Dr. Maas. She recommended Letrozole (lowest dose) and timed intercourse. Initially I wasn't responding to the medication, but she recommended that we wait a few days and then check on my response. It appeared that I would be ovulating and she prescribed me Ovidrel injection for ovulation and we did timed intercourse. Two weeks later, I had a negative pregnancy test and I never got a period. Dr. Maas thought for sure that I ovulated (but my second RE thinks I never did). My second cycle was also with Letrozole at a higher dose. I did not respond initially. I was seen by Dr. Maas's colleague that day and she prescribed me the highest dose of Letrozole. No one ever explained this to me so it honestly felt like the wrong treatment for me. I felt uneasy and uncared for so did not complete the cycle because of skepticism with the office. No pregnancy resulted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
With TRICARE Standard, my copayment for monitoring ultrasound and blood work was about $30. Most everything else was covered.
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.

So far, they [nurses at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] have been very compassionate and good communicators...She likes to do eSET, but she agreed that if we have a successful first pregnancy without complications and a vaginal delivery, she will implant 2 embryos next time for the possibility of twins...I did have one issue with some miscommunication with the financial team...She [Dr. Shelly] took the time to sit down with my husband and I to have real conversations about our chances of conceiving and never made us fe
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I did have one issue with some miscommunication with the financial team. Dr SHelly initially suggested zygote banking since i have to have 3 egg retrievals and was trying to save me some money, but when financial came in to go over the plan ,the never told me that I cannot zygote bank if I use my insurance (which doesnt cover very much at all anyways) and no one told me the plan was not to zygote bank, so this caused some confusion and another appt with dr shelly to clarify.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
She took the time to sit down with my husband and I to have real conversations about our chances of conceiving and never made us feel rushed. she is trying her best to give us our dream of 3 children
So far, they have been very compassionate and good communicators. i will learn more as i go through my cycles.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
How was your experience with Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
SHe is very knowledgable and I like that she isnt going to be conservative with my diminished ovarian reserve.... she is hitting my treatment hard and like she said, she is "bringing in the back up quarterback on a monday morning for next sundays game". I like that she wants to be aggressive so we can be successful for our first retrieval when we have 3 planned.
Describe the protocols Wendy Shelly used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
she wants to use HGH right away with my first IVF cycle as i have an AMH of 0.27. She hasnt given us the full protocol yet, we get that tomorrow.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
my individual egg retrievals with my contracted insurance is $5910. ICSI each cycle is $2750 i believe. Cryopreservation is $1000. PGS $4500 first time, then about $3250 each cycle after for the biopsy and shipping for PGS testing. FET around $3500. All together for 3 cycles of IVF and 1 FET will be about 35,000 not including meds.
Describe Wendy Shelly's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
She likes to do eSET, but she agreed that if we have a successful first pregnancy without complications and a vaginal delivery, she will implant 2 embryos next time for the possibility of twins. My husband has dreams about our children and often sees me pregnant with a transclusent belly where he sees 2 babies. She listened to this (even though it sounds insane) and agreed to attempt to give us our dream of 3 kids
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.

The office [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is bare bones, not fancy or chic. That didn't bother me but some people might expect a fancy place when they are spending so much money. The staff was friendly and always very helpful. Although, sometimes I felt that they didn't remember me from visit to visit even though I was there a lot. ... Dr. Shelly let us know she preferred eSET but was willing to do 2 embryos...
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The office is bare bones, not fancy or chic. That didn't bother me but some people might expect a fancy place when they are spending so much money. The staff was friendly and always very helpful. Although, sometimes I felt that they didn't remember me from visit to visit even though I was there a lot.
Dr. Shelly works a lot. I remember feeling like I was at the clinic a lot and she was also always there, (with the exception of 1 appointment) and I was in the middle of my cycle during the holiday season. Despite her being very busy she always took the time to answer our questions and she is very good at reading people. She would take the time we needed on days that we were feeling particularly fragile.
Picking a doctor who you are going to be seeing a lot, spending a lot of money with and are entrusting your dream of having a baby is VERY nerve racking. However, from our first visit through to now we have felt very comfortable and confident with Dr. Shelly. She is kind, smart, candid and clear when she is explaining procedures, answering questions, etc. I feel like she is genuinely invested in our desire to have a child and smart enough to help give of the best chance of success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Ask a lot of questions so you also feel confident in her ability.
My partner was diagnosed with poor morphology. Sperm morphology can be a wild card, we opted to try 1 IUI because of the cost and non-invasive nature of it. I was on Femara and 3 follicles develop, sperm sample was good but IUI failed. We opted to go straight to IVF after the 1 failed IUI, for our sake while Dr. Shelly would have recommended up to 3 IUI. I was on Folistim and micro hCG for my egg retrieval. many follicles developed and we got 18 eggs at retrieval. Out of the 18 only 12 were mature, 11 fertilized and 7 made it to Day 5. We opted for PGS testing because of my advanced maternal age and our unexplained infertility diagnosis. We had only 2 normal embryos, 5 abnormal. We are now in process of a "mock cycle" and will do an ERA this cycle. Hopefully, a FET next cycle (month).
Our Insurance covered 50% of diagnostic and we paid cash, out-of-pocket rate for all treatment.
Dr. Shelly let us know she preferred eSET but was willing to do 2 embryos, my partner is a twin and we were both okay with twins. However, due to only 2 PGS normal embryos we will transfer only 1 embryo.

Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinics [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] are clean and organized. Almost every person I came into contact with was very nice. My clinic has two offices which is a positive and a negative. The clinic closest to my house was great for some appointments and early morning blood tests before I had to go to work. One weakness is that the clinic closer to my house is not staffed all the time. So I had to drive almost an hour to the other office many times. They also do not have late appointments. Their last appointment is at 2:30pm. This was very challenging for my work schedule.
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinics are clean and organized. Almost every person I came into contact with was very nice. My clinic has two offices which is a positive and a negative. The clinic closest to my house was great for some appointments and early morning blood tests before I had to go to work. One weakness is that the clinic closer to my house is not staffed all the time. So I had to drive almost an hour to the other office many times. They also do not have late appointments. Their last appointment is at 2:30pm. This was very challenging for my work schedule.
She had a open and honest conversation with me. She explained all the necessary items pertaining to IVF. She was gentle but also blunt when needed.
Every nurse that I came into contact with was great! They really cared about me and wanted me to get pregnant.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
I am lucky to have Dr. Maas has my fertility doctor. She has made this process a lot easier because this whole process is very emotional, physically demanding, and financially straining. Dr. Maas listened carefully to my wants and needs. She asked about my prior fertility treatments and made a new plan for me. I was able to see her during almost every appointment which was great.
Trust the process. The doctors and nurses are rooting for you and want to see you get pregnant.
I saw Dr.Maas after 7 failed iui’s. I was 39 when starting the IVF process, so my age was the main factor. I did not have endometriosis, PCOS, and both my tubes were clear. All of my numbers were good as I was going through all the iui’s, but I did have a fibroid but it was in a good area (if there is such a place). I thought I didn’t have anything that could prevent me from getting pregnant, so my previous doctor was shocked at all my negative iui’s and told me I had unexplained infertility. After that I went to Dr. Maas because I knew IVF was the next step for me. For my medications leading up to my egg retrieval, I was on 150 Menopur a night and 300 mg of Gonal-f. I did these shots for 11 nights. I also did Centroid for 5 or 6 days. My egg retrieval was fairly easy. Overall, only the cost of the IVF cycle was hard. Medications weren’t that bad, some bruising on my stomach and I didn’t really have any reactions to them. I planned on doing a frozen embryo and genetic testing because I needed to get my thyroid down first. (Didn’t have a thyroid problem when starting the iui’s but my thyroid number increased sometime during those iui’s.)
The large amount for IVF was $11,200. Anesthesia was $500. Genetic testing was $4,500. Medication was $3000 -3500 (but I had some from prior treatments so it would have been another $1,000 embryo transfer is $3,500
Describe Kristi Maas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I had 6 embryos make it to Day 5 and ready for genetic testing and to freeze. Unfortunately I only had 1 embryo come back as inconclusive, so we tested that embryo again and it came back normal! So for my embryo transfer I only had one little fighter go in.
San Diego

The costs [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] were very manageable. They were upfront with the costs. The one great thing is they did not require me to get all the meds prescribed at once. They helped us save money by telling us how much we needed and how many days...Don’t expect a flashy clinic. It’s straight forward and really perfects their craft of making babies. If you are wanting the bells and whistles you will be disappointed, but if you want excellent care this is the place.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
She was very warm and inviting. Our first meetings with her were very brief, but we definitely felt like she knew what we were going through. I would Of liked her to spend more time with us, but we also came very prepared for our meetings so everything was bried
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Suzy)
Their staff is amazing. During our IVF cycle we spilled some of the trigger shot medication. I called the nurse and they reassured me. I cried all night anyways. The next morning when I went to get my bloodwork done I explained to the nurses what happened. About 5 of them heard me and came in to give me hugs and reassured me. It made me feel 100% better.
She was on vacation during the biggest part of my cycle, but before and after she was gone was amazing. She was very reassuring but also letting us know the risks involved. Before and after my egg retrieval I would of liked her to be more talkative. I was very nervous and would of liked that information. Also, I would Of liked to know she was going on vacation, but I loved the doctor I was with during that time.
She is very efficient and quick. She was very honest and gave us the real answers. If I have to do IVF again i wouldn’t go to anyone else.
Dr. Shelly used the best approach for my system. She knew I could potentially get OHSS and so they monitored me to make sure my levels were at a good spot and that I was healthy.
The costs were very manageable. They were upfront with the costs. The one great thing is they did not require me to get all the meds prescribed at once. They helped us save money by telling us how much we needed and how many days.
She advised me to do a eSET based on my age and IVF cycle.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Every time I go [to Fertility Specialists Medical Group] it seems I have a different nurse. For my first cycle I had a care coordinator that I mainly spoke to via phone or email and did not see her often st the office. This cycle I have a new care coordinator and she is new to the office, and seems inexperienced. My last appointment I saw someone different. It makes it difficult when it seems there are so many people involved and no one really knows you or your situation other than what is written in the chart.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
For the most part everyone is nice and friendly . I have never had any problems getting appointments and for most appointments I am seen right at my appointment time. There is a lot of staff which is good, but at the same time makes it confusing as to who is your main point of contact for questions or concerns. With so many people being involved in your care, it can feel at times like you are just a number and no one really knows you or your case.
She and her office are very busy. When I meet with her it is always very rushed. She has very little bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: I was but rarely saw her. Now I have someone new, Kelly )
Every time I go it seems I have a different nurse. For my first cycle I had a care coordinator that I mainly spoke to via phone or email and did not see her often st the office. This cycle I have a new care coordinator and she is new to the office, and seems inexperienced. My last appointment I saw someone different. It makes it difficult when it seems there are so many people involved and no one really knows you or your situation other than what is written in the chart. The clinic I was at before I had one care coordinator and mostly one nurse that I dealt with for all of my care.
Dr. Morales is very smart and experienced. She explains things and seems to know what she is talking about and backs up the information with recent research. She speaks very fast and uses medical terms that I don't always understand so a lot of the time I leave feeling confused or overwhelmed. I don't feel she takes patients situations case by case and treats everyone the same as she has her own agenda in mind .
Be prepared with your own questions to ask and do research before hand to know what to ask for.
I did a single embryo ivf transfer with a donor embryo. I think her reasoning behind doing one is because I only had two. The first one failed and I am about to two the second transfer. Hoping for better results.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Just remember, there is the clinical side and the financial side. Both personnel were great to talk to and work with at FSMG. They are all willing to work with you, based on your financial situation AND medical situation. All of the staff was friendly and really felt like they were there to help me and my husband.... The nurses were awesome! I could call at any time. I got the flu during my first IVF cycle and thought I had a fever due to the medications. They assured me everything was going to be fine and provided me guidance as to what fever medication I could take.
European, Other
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Dr. Shelly is very warm and talked to us in terms that we would understand from beginning to end. We never felt rushed or like we HAD to do something. Every decision was for us to make.
Dr. Shelly is with you every step of the way. She gave us our consult, was available at any time of the day to take our questions and gave us a detailed roadmap as to what to expect during each cycle.
Ask as many questions as you can! She is there to tell you everything you need to know, whether it's repetitive or you feel dumb asking - she makes it easy to understand what can and might happen.
The treatment recommended was injections (max amount) for our IVF cycle. While they produced great numbers of eggs to retrieve, ultimately, none of the fertilized embryos made it to transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
This was the best and easiest part of visiting the clinic. I showed up, and within 10 mins I was greeted and taken back for bloodwork/ultrasounds. Never waited a long time, was always personally greeted. Each nurse knew what was going on with my appointment.
$17,000 roughly for everything. $11,000 for the medical procedures, $6,000 for meds & anesthesiology.
We never got this far in our cycle.
San Diego

The clinic [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] has two branches. Carlsbad and San Diego. If you wish to see dr Shelly or dr Morales be aware that the switch back and forth between the two clinics and also that carlasbad isn’t fully staffed nor is it open all the days. Note that the surgery center is in San Diego so it’s best to schedule everything with San Diego even if the drives is far...Jessika was our nurse for the first part of the cycle. She was great and organized. Very patient and helpful. She started us with the medications and followed us with the ultrasounds and blood draws. On retrieval day we were handed off to Carol, she was outstanding, she remained our nurse until transfer was completed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinic has two branches. Carlsbad and San Diego. If you wish to see dr Shelly or dr Morales be aware that the switch back and forth between the two clinics and also that carlasbad isn’t fully staffed nor is it open all the days. Note that the surgery center is in San Diego so it’s best to schedule everything with San Diego even if the drives is far.
Dr Shelly was very professional and personable, showed compassion and that she cared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Shelly was great, we felt confident from the first consult and from her assurances. She was understanding and was very thorough in her plan for my wife and I. As our cycle progressed we saw less and less of her and for the last two weeks we only saw her at retrieval and transfer. Although we did not get the desired result, we still feel she did a great job.
Ask as many questions as you possibly can. Even if she has to repeat herself. Ask that she be blunt. Also, ask to see her even if it’s just to say hello, it will make you feel just a little more confident and reassured.
We got a baseline ultrasound 5 days prior to injection cycle. Dr Shelly said that the lining in my wife’s uterus was looking good so we started estrace oral pills for 10 days prior to the injection cycle. Injection cycle was 11 days of micro hCG 30 UI and follistim 425 ui. Dr Shelly concluded that my wife was well and healthy and that because we are male factor that we would not need many medications or high dosages. Next was cetrotide antagonist after day 7 till day 11. The ultrasound at day 11 showed that the eggs were ready for retrieval. All shots in the belly with insulin needles (1/2 inch) small gauge. Next was trigger shot of pregnyl. 36 hours after exactly was our retrieval. We were told to expect 10 eggs, measurements looked great. Retrieval produced 5 eggs total.
4500.00 USD for clinic fees and 6000.00 USD for the surgery center 550.00 USD for anesthesiologist. 1100.00 USD for cryopreservation 600.00 USD for storage. Pharmacy costs 2500.00 USD
We had first been told by Dr Shelly that two embryos would increase our chances and that my wife’s good health would not be an issue for high risk pregnancy. However when transfer day came the embryologist was the one to tell us that the Dr had advised against it. We were told that the embryos were not of good quality and they’d hoped that another extra day would increase the chances of growth. Only one embryo was of “good enough” quality to transfer. In addition, a fresh transfer, would be a higher risk for the embryo to not attach to the uterine lining. There was a chance we would lose two embryos in one try.
San Diego

Anytime I called they [Fertility Specialists Med Group] said they lost my file and would have to call back when they found it. They also told me I'm a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis, and it turned out they were looking at the wrong chart, and I'm NOT a carrier. They also failed to provide us with their binder for IVF procedures, then told us to make sure we understood everything inside it and sign the paperwork that goes with it. When we said we never got the binder, they said we could just sign the papers next time we come in without actually reading through it.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I was very unhappy with this clinic. We only went there because our insurance referred us there. The clinic seemed to have way more patients than they could effectively manage. Lots of things seemed to fall through the cracks. I would never tell anyone I care about to go to this clinic.
We could tell that Dr. Morales was very busy, and she seemed distracted when we met with her. She spoke very quickly and didn't really give us a chance to speak at all. She seemed to have a rehearsed speech that she gives all new patients. We did not feel good after leaving her office. She also told us to just keep trying on our own and it would happen. We did that for a year after meeting with her. It didn't matter to her that we had already done that for a year. After almost 5 years of trying every fertility option out there we still have not conceived, so clearly she was wrong about that.
They were terrible! They were so disorganized. Anytime I called they said they lost my file and would have to call back when they found it. They also told me I'm a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis, and it turned out they were looking at the wrong chart, and I'm NOT a carrier. They also failed to provide us with their binder for IVF procedures, then told us to make sure we understood everything inside it and sign the paperwork that goes with it. When we said we never got the binder, they said we could just sign the papers next time we come in without actually reading through it. This was the last straw for us, and we left the clinic after this.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Morales does not have good bedside manner. She was rushed and rude. She didn't seem to care about our treatment or individual needs. We felt like cattle being herded through the baby making machine.
Pick a different doctor and clinic.
We left this doctor before beginning treatment because our experience with her and her staff was so bad.
San Diego

Nurse coordinators were difficult to get a hold of, sometimes for a few days. Instructed wrong dosage and date for trigger shot. ... The front desk staff [ Fertility Specialists Med Group] was usually great ... Finance people were great and felt no pressure to pick a higher coating treatment at any point. ... Sometimes staff left out important details or instruction to my husband or I and it was new to us, I know it’s every day to them but left us unaware or confused.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Dr Shelly was always fantastic at the bedside. Very warm and friendly bedside manner, you can tell she actually cares. She takes the time to listen to patient’s concerns and answers questions. The front desk staff was usually great, other doctor I saw was also very friendly but obviously new. Finance people were great and felt no pressure to pick a higher coating treatment at any point. Kind of a ‘cold’ atmosphere in an already nerve wracking and uncomfortable setting. Communication with nurse coordinators was sometimes lacking and stressful. Sometimes staff left out important details or instruction to my husband or I and it was new to us, I know it’s every day to them but left us unaware or confused.
She was very understanding, warm, good bedside, positive
Difficult to get ahold of to start a cycle. Would not call back with time specific things. Was shuffled around between nurses so they weren’t familiar and always had to explain situation. Sometimes short on the phone.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Loved Dr Shelly, great bedside and really listened to me (I’m a nurse and I know we’re a pain). I felt like I needed to be on top of my appointments and meds and had to make multiple calls to start cycles on time but i think that was more office issues.
Ask any of your questions, know what is supposed to happen next and stay on top of office staff for cycle starts/medications.
Ovulation induction using letrozole for PCOS. Two cycles unmonitored and two monitored with IUI. Never achieved a pregnancy.
I think IUI with monitoring was $750 per cycle without meds
San Diego

The clinic [Fert Specs Med Group] overall was slightly dated. It was clean, but I had old equipment. The clinics team - doctors and nurses were the best part. They also had a great financial administrator who helped us work with our insurance and figure out the best option for our budget. They responded quickly and always answered the phone when I called...The nursing staff was kind, understanding, and helpful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinic overall was slightly dated. It was clean, but I had old equipment. The clinics team - doctors and nurses were the best part. They also had a great financial administrator who helped us work with our insurance and figure out the best option for our budget. They responded quickly and always answered the phone when I called.
Everyone at the clinic knew our names and was very helpful and empathetic
The nursing staff was kind, understanding, and helpful. They always took extra time to make a personal connection.
Dr. Shelly exceeded my expectations as a doctor. She is charismatic, knowledgeable, and kind. I trusted her and felt like she had my best interest in mind at all times. She was encouraging and helped us figure out the best course of treatment for us. The only thing I regret is doing the first cycle naturally (without clomid). I wish that she would have recommended Clomid on the first try. However, I understand that I was a healthy 29-year-old and wanted to see if we could do it naturally.
Be honest with her because she will respect your opinions and input.
What I got my period I would go into the clinic and they would look at my follicles. Then the following week I would go back and they would check again to make sure everything was progressing as it should. They would measure the follicles and see how many there were. Then I would go back at my peak ovulation and get inseminated. I used Clomid in five out of the six tries and it took on the sixth time.
Each cycle cost around $1000, but I don’t recall exactly the price. They have a financial advisor who was very helpful
I have no concerns.
San Diego

I did not like that there was always a new nurse [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group]. I had a difficult time ever getting through to speak with someone. They would send me to their voicemail and it could take days for a response. For our first IUI they wrote the wrong date for the trigger which luckily I caught within hours of almost giving myself the injection too early. The nurses are very nice but both my husband and I had a difficult time with many mistakes by the nurses
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I do think that everyone was nice but in the world of infertility I think that is a bit irrelevant. I liked that I saw the doctor every time but in retrospect I was rushed through and she was so frazzled I was surprised she even know who I was. Knowing what I know now through interaction with our new RE my top complaints are with Dr. Morales not explaining the importance of certain tests or the rationale behind them and that she was not up to date with what to do for male factor problems and did not refer us appropriately to someone who was more knowledgeable on this issue. The front desk was very disorganized with paperwork, billing us too much on several occasions and forgetting to have us sign papers that then required us to return for additional visits just to sign. The nurses were caring but with a new face each time they didn’t really know our situation.
The front desk made frequent errors as did the doctor who often would say the wrong medication that I was taking, the wrong cycle day I was on and the wrong IUI cycle we were doing. Even when she was directly looking at the chart.
I did not like that there was always a new nurse. I had a difficult time ever getting through to speak with someone. They would send me to their voicemail and it could take days for a response. For our first IUI they wrote the wrong date for the trigger which luckily I caught within hours of almost giving myself the injection too early. The nurses are very nice but both my husband and I had a difficult time with many mistakes by the nurses
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
My initial impression was not a good one with her running 90 minutes late for my first assessment. When she finally came in she was very frazzled. Then when I returned for follow up with my husband she was again all over the place and did not even introduce herself or acknowledge him for the first 30 minutes. Those are minor compared to the fact that she gave us inaccurate information on my husband’s SA results that essentially should have made her stop with all of our IUIs and proceed with further testing. She did not recommend he see a urologist and when I suggested it could not give any recommendations of who to see. Instead she continued to go on with IUIs and was ready to jump right into IVF when all 3 IUIs failed which we now know would have also been wasted since my husband has some abnormalities that need to be addressed by a male infertility urologist. We are with a new RE now and still trying to sort out what our best options are to maximize success vs Dr. Morales who was ready to just go through all the motions without considering what would give us the best likelihood for success.
Make sure you ask lots of questions and rationale for why she is doing things. Also, get a second opinion.
I was on letrozole 7.5 mg for all 3 IUIs which worked for me produce 1-2 follicles. We had to cancel 1 cycle because my husband had high WBC suddenly. She said this would not be a problem if we were doing IVF which I now know is false. The high WBC damage the DNA so would have been a huge issue if we were doing IVF.
We did have coverage for IUIs so with copays and meds it came out to about $200 per cycle. We had 3 IUIs and 1 cancelled cycle plus one frozen sample for my husband so in total around $1,000

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
My monitoring appointments usually took place first thing in the morning. I typically was in and out of the office within 30 minutes. Very convenient and very organized!.... For our IVF the baseline was $10,500. That included all of our office visits, monitoring, egg retrieval surgery, egg fertilization and a fresh transfer (if applicable). We spent between $3500-$5000 on all of my medication. We also paid $600/ year for our embryo storage fee. For the transfers we paid $3300 each time and between $300-$500 for medication.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The office staff is friendly and greets you the moment you walk in. The office is clean and they offer complimentary water and coffee in the waiting room. The financial dept is very organized and you don't have to worry about "hidden" fees every time you walk in for an appt. They're very good at explaining upfront your financial obligations. The nursing staff and Dr. Shelly are good at keeping appointment times. I'd say 90% of my appointments I was seen within 10-15 minutes.
Most of my visits I felt like a human, however, I had a few where I felt like a number. Usually on those visits the office was extremely busy and I'd only get to spend a few minutes with Dr. Shelly. It was during those instances that I felt like a number; not a priority.
All of the nursing staff were very nice! A lot of them remembered us even after we hadn't been there in a year. They were helpful anytime I had questions and returned my phone calls within a few hours. There was an occasion where they called in the right prescription but the wrong quantity. Luckily I didn't need it right away and the pharmacy was able to mail it to me within a couple of days. Another instance they hadn't updated our chart and Dr. Shelly came in to discuss our options for additional treatment with the wrong information. She came in thinking we had 2 embryos left when in reality we were already done.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
She was very personable and easy to like. She made me and my husband feel very comfortable and hopeful. She was always upbeat and positive about the outcomes even though we didn't always get the outcome we wanted. With that said, there were some appointments that I felt like maybe she was too busy. I would only see her a couple of minutes and it made me uneasy in that I wondered if she was paying enough attention to my chart and my situation. When you spend tens of thousands of dollars of your hard earned money in a dr. office, you expect to have the best care. I chalked it up to that she probably just had a lot going on those days and I tried not to take it personally. Overall, I will continue to go see her. Her positive traits far outweigh any negative!
Well a piece of advice I would give to someone going to see any fertility dr. including Dr. Shelly is to be prepared for any and all outcomes. For some people, there's no "cure" for their infertility and just when you think you've got it figured out another negative pregnancy test hits you right between the eyes. And to that I'd like to add to never give up hope! You never know what the Lord has in store!
For our 3 IUI cycles she had me taking Clomid and a trigger shot (can't remember how far in advance) to make sure I ovulated at the right time. For our IVF cycle, I started on Feb 24th, 2015. I took birth control pills for 10 days. On Mar 7, 2015 I started the Gonal-F injections and the Micro hCG injections. I was going in for blood work and ultrasounds every other day for a week to check my hormone levels and egg production. The following week I continued Gonal-F, Micro hCG and began Cetrotide injections to prevent premature ovulation. My egg retrieval was done Mar 18th, 2015. 17 eggs were retrieved, 11 fertilized and 5 were viable. I wasn't eligible for a fresh transfer because my estrogen levels were too high. We waited until the following month and then I started the progesterone IM shots, Estrace and the low-dose aspirin to help increase blood flow to my uterus. We had our frozen transfer on April 10th, 2015 where we transferred 2 embryos of the 5 we had. We found out we were pregnant on April 21st and I delivered our beautiful baby girl on Dec 30th, 2015. In Nov. 2016 we decided we were ready for transfer #2. Dr. Shelly performed a water test in my uterus to make sure there wasn't any scar tissue or anything leftover from my pregnancy that would hinder another pregnancy. We decided to only transfer 1 embryo and the same protocol was set in place as the first transfer. We were not successful with the 2nd transfer and we decided to try a third time in Feb 2017. We transferred our last two embryos and the same protocol was used for that transfer as well. Unfortunately, neither embryo took and we are back to square one.
Whenever we wanted to do a transfer, Dr. Shelly always recommended an eSET. She explained the risks with multiples but she ultimately let us decide what was best for us. She did say she would not transfer more than 2 at one time.
San Diego

The clinic [Fertility Specialists] just looks like a regular doctors office. The front office staff is nice and easy to communicate with...I don't feel like I had a ton of interaction with the nursing staff since Dr. Shelly did all the ultrasounds and inseminations, but they did draw my blood for the pregnancy tests and call with results. They seemed knowledgeable and compassionate when they called with negative results...My husband's semen analysis were $150...
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinic just looks like a regular doctors office. The front office staff is nice and easy to communicate with. I did feel that when we were trying to decide if we would move forward with IVF with this clinic that they were kind of just trying to get our money, rather than concerned about our ability to pay the huge price tag.
When Dr. Shelly recommended we move on from IUI and try IVF she seemed genuinely concerned about my emotional well-being in handling more disapointment
I liked Dr. Shelly's attitude and her confidence that she would get us pregnant. She also had a sense of humor which I appreciated. I did wish she would have given me more details about how many follicles seemed mature with each of our IUIs and I wish she'd been more willing to be more aggressive and possibly due injectable meds with an IUI.
Ask questions. I think if I'd wanted the info on the number and size of follicles she would have given it to me, I was just to timid to ask.
Our first 2 IUIs were with clomid. I don't remember the dosage. The 3rd IUI which resulted in a chemical pregnancy was with letrozole. All 3 we triggered with ovidrel.
The initial consult was covered by insurance and was $250 I think. It included an ultrasound. My husband's semen analysis were $150 I think and we did 2. We had more bloodwork drawn, but I don't remember the cost of that. The IUIs were covered by insurance at 50% and were $757 not including the meds. The most expensive medication was the ovidrel injection at $78.
While we decided not to do IVF with Dr. Shelly we did talk about it with her. She recommended with a fresh transfer to transfer 2 embryos, but with a frozen transfer to just transfer 1.
San Diego

The ivf coordinator Martha [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group]was amazing. She is the first nurse we met and went through lots of the logistics of ivf with. She herself has been through the process so it was very comforting to hear her story. She was so thorough in explaining doses, how to give yourself a shot and what to expect. All of the nurses I came across throughout the process were great and very helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Very comfortable office. By the time you are released from their care it feels like home!
Everyone from the front desk to the ma's to nurses and especially Dr. Morales made us feel so special and loved. We developed a close relationship with a lot of the staff at FSMG!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Martha)
The ivf coordinator Martha was amazing. She is the first nurse we met and went through lots of the logistics of ivf with. She herself has been through the process so it was very comforting to hear her story. She was so thorough in explaining doses, how to give yourself a shot and what to expect. All of the nurses I came across throughout the process were great and very helpful and caring.
Dr. Morales made this experience so great for us! I had all the confidence in the world with her and the team. She reassured me on occasions when I was worried, joked with me to lighten the mood and was our biggest cheerleader. She guided us through the process but never pressured us to do any test or procedure etc we did not feel comfortable with. She showed genuine care and compassion to my husband and I and I will be forever grateful for her.
Trust the process. Dr.Morales knows her stuff and is always working with your best interest at heart.
I was on injectable hormones to stimulate follicles for egg retrieval. Based on tests Morales had me relatively high on dose which we ended up increasing even more over the course of two weeks as my follicles were "sleepy" after egg retrieval we did a FET due to my progesterone being a little too elevated.
About 13 grand
For our purposes and only having 4 embroyos we decided one at a time was best for us.

2013 - 2017
Martha Naryanan has been our med nurse [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] for 3 rounds. She is incredibly experienced, knowledgeable about the meds and protocol and seemed to be an "extension" of our physician, which is very important as the MD isn't always available but I was confident that her nurse was relaying the proper info on her behalf.... Strengths: centrally located, large practice, runs efficiently, good communications, protocols are clear (noted that paperwork got WAY better from 1 to 2 to 3rd round, much more clarify in subsequent paperwork) Weaknesses: seems to be a lot of turnover for support staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I felt like a human because she took the time to really learn about my obstetric history IN ADDITION to our family goals. She didn't judge our desires to have a large family and she presented all information factually and without bias.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Martha Narayanan)
Martha Naryanan has been our med nurse for 3 rounds. She is incredibly experienced, knowledgeable about the meds and protocol and seemed to be an "extension" of our physician, which is very important as the MD isn't always available but I was confident that her nurse was relaying the proper info on her behalf.
Dr. Shelly shared her own struggles with infertility which made her so much more relatable than other practitioners might be. She explained our options, laid them out objectively and gave us just enough (but not too much :) information to make our own decision about the course of action we would take.
Watch out for quadruplets...JK...I would tell prospective patients that visiting Dr. Shelly is the opposite of daunting. She is personable, relatable, puts complicated medical terminology into plain English and provides her own interpretation of data and research when appropriate and necessary. It's ok to ask her, "If you were me...what would you do" and she always answers objectively and without bias.
Not really recalling the specifics but I did like that between rounds 2 and 3 she sat down with us, explained WHY she was tweaking the protocol.
IVF round 1 that resulted in singleton pregnancy, $10,000 IVF round 2 that resulted in 4 embryos that were frozen $5,000 Currently in progress to transfer frozen embryos and that will cost $3,000
I believe since I was 35+ there was no option for single embryo transfer. She asked if we were open to multiples, which we were, so we always had decided to proceed with 2+ embryos at transfer.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Maria [nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] was a joy to work with throughout the process. She was extremely friendly and compassionate. She went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable...They presented us with all fertility options along with the respective costs and didn't pressure us to make a decision that was in their financial best interest...They are extremely well organized and efficient. We spent very little time waiting to be seen, but when we were waiting it was assuring to see many pregnant patients coming and going, and new mothers bringing in their bundles of joy to meet the Doctors. Something to note; parking in their parking lot does cost, so appointments longer than about 15 minutes will result in a couple dollar charge.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
This clinic is extremely clean and professional. They are extremely well organized and efficient. We spent very little time waiting to be seen, but when we were waiting it was assuring to see many pregnant patients coming and going, and new mothers bringing in their bundles of joy to meet the Doctors. Something to note; parking in their parking lot does cost, so appointments longer than about 15 minutes will result in a couple dollar charge.
Dr. Shelley and her staff were extremely warm and caring. The entire process was about our needs. We never felt like a number or that we were trying to be "sold."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria was a joy to work with throughout the process. She was extremely friendly and compassionate. She went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. Above all, she was extremely helpful by providing our gender results to a friend at our request so we could have a surprise gender reveal. She added a personalized note congratulating us and reassuring us what great parents we going to be. She has a huge heart!
Dr. Shelley truly cared about helping my wife and I achieve our dream of starting a family. She has a true gift of taking what could be a very clinical and nerve-wracking experience and making it warm and nurturing. She truly loves babies and helping couples who are having difficulties conceiving. We have stopped by her office several times since our treatment to show her the "baby bump", and even brought my son to meet her after he was born.
Go see her immediately! We struggled with our primary care physician for years trying to get to the bottom of our repeated miscarriages and inability to conceive, and only when we saw Dr. Shelley did we feel we were truly understood and being cared for.
Costs were reasonable. We had similar procedures, such as genetic testing, done with our subsequent pregnancy that were much more expensive. They presented us with all fertility options along with the respective costs and didn't pressure us to make a decision that was in their financial best interest.
San Diego

Strength: For the most every time I needed to speak to someone, I always got a call back back within a day. The clinic [Fertility Specialists Med Group] was attentive. Weakness: you can tell the clinic was busy. They never made you feel rushed or hurried but Dr. Morales was always on the move. She was the only person that you would have to wait on. You wouldn’t wait long.
East Asian, Latino
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strength: For the most every time I needed to speak to someone, I always got a call back back within a day. The clinic was attentive. Weakness: you can tell the clinic was busy. They never made you feel rushed or hurried but Dr. Morales was always on the move. She was the only person that you would have to wait on. You wouldn’t wait long.
Dr. Morales was very professional. She explained everything, in a fast almost ‘over your head’ kind of way because all the infertility lingo & process is new but also because she was probably rushed as her clinic is very busy. But she made she sure she answered all of your questions. During her consultation she asks you what you expect & how many kids you want & I truly believe she tries to make that happen. I like her upfront, real attitude.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Martha, RN)
The nursing staff is amazing!!! They were always pleasant & nice. Returned calls, remembered what they talked about you during your last visit (even if it’s personal & not related to ivf).
I really liked Dr. Morales but she was always so rushed & busy. I’m glad her clinic is booming but I would have liked for her to not be so rushed in my appointments. She did get straight to the point during our time together & even had time for small talk. She is very smart women, but very text book smart. I guess in this field, you have to go with statistics & data. I stimulated pretty quickly on my meds & brought that up to Dr. Morales, but insisted to ‘see what happens’ & continue on course rather. I think if she took a minute longer to think about how I stimulated quickly & possibly think about a different course of action, we may have had more ‘normal’ Day 5 embryos. Overall I did like Dr. Morales & would see her again for baby #2 only because I already had 1 successful pregnancy even though I would have to go through IVF all over again.
Her clinic is busy, so be prepared to have a limited time with Dr. Morales. She will see you at all your visits & makes sure your questions are answered but she will not hold your hand through the visits & process.
I don’t remember exactly what meds I was on for stimulation, but I did a 5 day embryos transfer & I miscarried. It was devastating. Dr. Morales recommended I do a uterine receptivity which tested if my uterus lining was ready for the embryo to transfer & implant on the current protocol I was on. I was hesitant because it would cost an additional $1k & push back my protocol for one month. The results revealed that if I was on progesterone for 6-12hrs longer than when I did my first 5 day transfer, my implantation rate was 90% more successful & it worked!!!
Monitoring was fairly easy. I work full time but only 4 days a week, so some times I sacrificed sleep to go in for monitoring but for the most part, I was able to fit it in when it was convenient.
My insurance covered 50% of IVF (which I included monitoring, ultrasounds, & blood draws): $10k Anesthesia for egg retrieval (must be a written check: $1500 (honestly I forgot) PGS: I was able to qualify for a study so it was free but so think it’s $2500 Uterine receptivity test: $1000 2nd 5 day embryo transfer (because of 1st embryo transfer miscarriage): $2500 I paid the low end of stimulation meds because I stimulated quickly: $2500
Since I had my eggs PGS tested, Dr. Morales recommends that we do a single embryo transfer. She said she was willing to do a multiple transfer if the first transfer wasn’t successful.
San Diego

The nursing staff [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] was great! They answered all of our questions, even calls and emails quickly (emails we especially valued). They are also wonderful patient advocates - always looking for the best value on medications, making sure if anything could be covered by insurance that it was, etc.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Although a bit tricky to find the first time, the clinic is great. Very nice, clean, and inviting. The front desk staff (who will remember your name after your first visit - it's amazing!) always has a smile on their face and is ready to greet you. Great coffee in the waiting room too!
I felt that Dr. Morales took the time to make sure I understood all of the treatments and reasons behind each treatment decision. The entire staff was always warm, remembered my name (and my husband's name) and truly become good friends.
The nursing staff was great! They answered all of our questions, even calls and emails quickly (emails we especially valued). They are also wonderful patient advocates - always looking for the best value on medications, making sure if anything could be covered by insurance that it was, etc.
Dr. Morales was always very honest about my diagnosis and treatment options- something I valued. In a process that can be very frustrating and leave you feeling out of control, it is nice to have a clear plan of action! Although it is clear Dr. Morales has many patients (the clinic was typically pretty busy when we were there), I saw her every single visit... for every ultrasound, every procedure, every consult, and never felt rushed or brushed aside.
It is scary.... but go to that first consult, listen to what the doctors have to say, and ask lots of questions! We cancelled our initial consult a couple of times because we were so nervous to hear bad news. But the more we learned- the better we felt!
I was pleasantly surprised to see the doctor (not a nurse or medical assistant) for every monitoring appointment. It was also nice they started them so early in the morning (7:00 AM)
San Diego
[Fertility Specialists Medical Group- San Diego] Strengths: multiple locations for monitoring and consults, several doctors, organized. Weaknesses: procedures only at the office farther away from me, and you have to pay for parking which just adds insult to injury after paying thousands of dollars for treatment.... My first IUI cycle was with clomid with an ovidrel trigger. Second was letrozole+gonal-f with ovidrel trigger. Third was gonal-f+cetrotide (antagonist protocol) with ovidrel trigger. My only ivf cycle was gonal-f+menopur and was planning on using micro hcg and cetrotide but it was cancelled due to poor response.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Dr. Maas took the time to explain everything to us in as much detail as we asked for. She spent several hours of consultation with us during our treatments. She gave hugs when needed. She called me personally to let me know when cycles didn't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Erica)
All of the staff was fantastic!! They were warm, welcoming, and compassionate.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Maas is incredibly smart and an excellent communicator. She helped us feel empowered throughout the process while helping us keep realistic expectations. She uses evidence based practice every step of the way.
You are in excellent hands with her. Please note that she works between two offices so you may have to drive farther to see her on some days if you dont want to see a different doctor in the practice.
Insurance covered IUI procedures but not meds. IVF would have costed around $10 thousand. We put down a $6k deposit but got it back after our cycle was cancelled.
San Diego

The financial manager [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is very good and the best person to talk to about the finance portion of things. Come with questions. Be prepared to listen and learn. Recognize that you will likely leave with even more questions, but rest assured you will get them answered! Be on top of your insurance coverage and payments! Keep copies...Dr. Morales' nurse who worked with us was very kind and explained things thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The financial manager is very good and the best person to talk to about the finance portion of things. Come with questions. Be prepared to listen and learn. Recognize that you will likely leave with even more questions, but rest assured you will get them answered! Be on top of your insurance coverage and payments! Keep copies.
Dr. Morales talked to us like we are smart people. She was straightforward and told us what she knew we wanted to know.
I've been very pleased with Dr. Morales as a patient. She is clear, kind, and thorough. She is very knowledgeable. She makes you feel that you can trust her and the information she is giving you. She understands the concerns and is willing to slow down to explain things as much as needed.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, or to ask Dr. Morales to explain something again until you understand. There is a lot that is confusing, and she is willing to explain it if you ask.
I'm still in the process of being treated by Dr. Morales. We have not gotten to the treatment phase yet.
50% of our diagnostic procedures were covered by insurance; the rest of the costs were paid out of pocket. 50% of treatments are also covered by insurance.
I have not experienced this yet.
San Diego

The front desk [Fertility Specialists Med Group] was the most helpful, communicative, patient, and kind. The billing and finance team was frustrating and did not communicate well with me or my insurance company. The in house phlebotomists were very gentle and knowledgeable as well....Dr Shelley gave us a lot of time during our initial consultation and following phone call with follow up questions....My insurance covered most of it because it was all consultational and I was pregnant at the time so the care I recessives fell under OB/GYN billing luckily.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The front desk was the most helpful, communicative, patient, and kind. The billing and finance team was frustrating and did not communicate well with me or my insurance company. The in house phlebotomists were very gentle and knowledgeable as well.
Very sweet and patient
She was extremely patient and kind. She was very elaborate and gave me many choices to consider in my treatment. She was gentle and I really appreciated how she included my husband in all of the conversations and helped him to understand our situation and potential treatment options.
Have all of your paperwork ready for her to review so she can see the big picture of he situation all at once.
We only needed to do a consultation because it ended up that I was pregnant and don’t know it! She did prescribe Lovenox shots for me after I asked because I was tested for APS and sheor that I would benefit from blood thinners. She thought I had Adenomyosis based on ultrasounds she saw and wanted to do a MRI so we could be certain but this was not needed.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis
The billing department [Fertility Specialists Med Group] was awesome to work with and even got us money back from our insurance. The staff was all knowledgeable and did everything quickly and efficiently as possible. I never waited long or had a negative experience with any staff member or doctor.... Lots of the nurses on staff were also IVF patients and having someone to talk to that had been through the experience was so helpful.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The billing department was awesome to work with and even got us money back from our insurance. The staff was all knowledgeable and did everything quickly and efficiently as possible. I never waited long or had a negative experience with any staff member or doctor.
Dr. Shelly was amazing to work with. She was readily available to answe any and all questions. She truly listened to me and what I wanted and always took the time to explain every process.
Very friendly. Lots of the nurses on staff were also IVF patients and having someone to talk to that had been through the experience was so helpful.
Dr. Shelly and her team were like a second family going though IVF. They personally invested in me and my journey. They were friendly and welcoming from day 1. Lots of staff have personally gone though the IVF process so they were very empathetic and knew first hand what I was going though. Dr. Shelly explained every step of the process and was patient with all my lists of questions and concerns. Every step of the process Dr. Shelly was a part of which I really loved. Her staff got to know me personally and were always proactive in all areas of treatment.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Shelly is very patient and understanding that everyone has different starting points and knowledge and answers all questions. She always told me there was no question too small or stupid in the process on building a family.

2012 - 2015
IVF, Surrogacy
IVF round $12,500. Meds $3,500. Frozen transfer $3300, Surrogate cycle management $4000...Dr. Shelly's nursing staff are incredibly efficient, professional, knowledgable and friendly...First IVF round using Bravelle, Menopur, Ganirellix produced 1 genetically complete embryo. Dr. Shelly didn't' anticipate such poor egg quality, which is generally difficult to improve. I asked about vitamin supplements, etc. and she gave me a regiment I could try, but success in improving egg quality is largely anecdotal. Regimen included fish oil, ubiquinol, DHEA, CoQ10. Second IVF round produced 2 day-5 embryos (no PGS this time). Three total were transferred, one took, resulting in one live birth via surrogate. Third IVF round utilized the same medication and supplement course, producing 3 embryos and live twin pregnancy via surrogate.
2012 - 2015
IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Dr. Shelly's clinic is very efficient and well-run. Their fees are competitive, the staff is amazing, and they are always reachable and respond promptly.
Dr. Shelly is very down-to-earth, has a wonderful personality, treats you like a friend, and instills confidence.
We have the utmost confidence in Dr. Shelly's. She has a great way of delivering information, good or bad, and adapting to treatment changes. Dr. Shelly has a wonderful, friendly personality, and we found her to be very knowledgable, professional and efficient.
Just go to Dr. Shelly. You won't want to go anywhere else.
Dr. Shelly counseled thoroughly on the number of embryos transferred. We were using a surrogate who was open to multiples and hoped for twins so as to maximize our investment with our surrogate. Dr. Shelly understood our situation and supported our decision to transfer 3 embryos each time, knowing with my demonstrated poor egg quality, it was very unlikely all three would take.

2013 - 2015
3 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
I consider the practice as a whole to be run extremely well. From the receptionists to the MAs to the nurses, I feel that everyone there quickly got to know me as a person and it was actually very pleasant being around the office/clinic.
2013 - 2015
3 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
I consider the practice as a whole to be run extremely well. From the receptionists to the MAs to the nurses, I feel that everyone there quickly got to know me as a person and it was actually very pleasant being around the office/clinic and interacting with them. Dr. Morales' manner is a little scattered, though she very clearly cares about our outcome. I would consider that the practice as a whole is very well staffed and personable.
I have worked with several of the nurses and they all knew our case extremely well, were easy to get in touch with, happy to answer questions, good at explaining things and very personable.
Dr. Morales seems up to date on the newest practices, especially when it comes to genetic screening and various genetic diagnostic procedures -- this is one of the reasons we chose to go to her. I trust her competence with all the decisions we've made and procedures we've had done. She has also let meetings go long after we've had failures and are going over results and next steps. All that said, this is a busy practice and she is on the move. When you come in for an ultrasound, it is friendly but quick and in small talk Dr. Morales may mix up a few personal details (not important to treatment -- but things like "How was your trip to Europe?" and I'm like "What trip?"). If you are looking for a doctor to ponder the meaning of life with at each appointment, you might prefer a different practice.
San Diego

I honestly loved this clinic, they [Fertility Specialists Med Group] treat you like a real human and they root for you and wish for you. I have never felt more comfortable at a doctor's office than I do there. Dr.Shelly is by far my favorite doctor there and I highly recommend requesting her!!... She was the first doctor that actually took the time to get to know me and show me compassion. She seemed to want me to be pregnant just as much as I did
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I honestly loved this clinic, they treat you like a real human and they root for you and wish for you. I have never felt more comfortable at a doctor's office than I do there. Dr.Shelly is by far my favorite doctor there and I highly recommend requesting her!!
She genuinely cares about how you're handling everything and what your family goals are.
They route for you and are always available for the millions of questions you might have!
She was the first doctor that actually took the time to get to know me and show me compassion. She seemed to want me to be pregnant just as much as I did and I love having her as my doctor. She honestly feels like a best friend.
You're in the best possible hands!
We jumped straight into IUI as my husband and I had been trying for 5 years unsuccessfully. She scheduled and SHG and HSG which we discovered and immeasurable amount of polyps that I had removed and started IUI after. Due to my weight at the time, I had negative results and my body stopped responding to the femara, but I look forward to trying again soon!!
San Diego

Financial team [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is very responsive when contacted (eg ordering tests for insurance authorizations). I do wish they would let you know where you stand with deductibles and payments before the 5 days when you need to schedule your baseline monitoring.... $1,000 for each IUI with monitoring (no meds). $250 for initial consult, and $250 for follow up consult.... The nursing staff explained the timing of medication and handled the scheduling after monitoring appointments.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Financial team is very responsive when contacted (eg ordering tests for insurance authorizations). I do wish they would let you know where you stand with deductibles and payments before the 5 days when you need to schedule your baseline monitoring.
She seemed to take the time to get to know my partner and I.
The nursing staff explained the timing of medication and handled the scheduling after monitoring appointments. Otherwise, interactions were with Martha over email.
I recommend Dr. Shelly with some hesitation. I sometimes feel like I need to bring up approaches to our treatment plan. I feel like she should be the expert, and I don’t always feel 100% confident in her as my RE.
She’s very understanding of your situation and will work with you to only order tests if you are paying out of pocket.
2IUIs with 100mg of Clomid. Ovidrel trigger shot. Monitoring within 5 days of your period, then follow up monitoring 1 week later. Monitoring continues daily until the IUI.

2 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
I think that due to the size of their [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] office, things were not communicated well. ... Nursing staff in her office rarely remembered me. ... I had to chase down nursing staff on several occasions to get what I needed and to get questions answered. ... They tend to cater to straightforward cases. I think that their approach may work for several people, but once they go through their book of protocols, they don't have much else to try other than donor eggs.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
They are a larger office. They tend to cater to straightforward cases. I think that their approach may work for several people, but once they go through their book of protocols, they don't have much else to try other than donor eggs.
Dr. Shelly was wonderful, but occasionally she would not be in. Nursing staff in her office rarely remembered me. I felt that they tried to fit me into a pre-planned cycle that didn't work with my body. When that failed, they said I had to use donor eggs, or they couldn't help me.
They were a large office, and I felt I only sometimes saw the same nurses. They did not remember me from visit to visit.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Shelly was a nice, warm person. However, I felt like since my body did not respond to their treatment protocols, she didn't have much else to offer me. She tried to get me to use donor eggs, rather than trying a different cycle.
I think she would be perfect for a younger patient who does not any other medical issues.
They had a book of protocols, and she cycled through them. I didn't feel as though much thought was put into what may work for me over someone else.
No sure of specifics, but on par with others in the area.
none
San Diego

I think this clinic [Fertility Specialists] is my favorite of the two I've been at in SD...Overall they were your average nursing staff. I had two situations while Dr. Shelly was out on vacation that the nursing staff didn't have the right info down and sent me mid medication cycle to two different facilities to get labs drawn. Suffice it to say I was not a happy camper on the meds! But, overall they were there to answer questions in a timely fashion when items came up.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I think this clinic is my favorite of the two I've been at in SD. I have never met a doctor with as kind of a bedside manner as Dr. Shelly.
Dr. Shelly is kind, compassionate and really takes the time to get to know your needs as a patient.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Shelly was a great asset to me and my husband as we ventured into the ART route to baby. Though we have yet to have a successful ending, she's a very big supporter of making sure your needs are met throughout the process.
Make sure you ask her about the possibilities of one versus two embryo and really advocate for what your gut tells you.
Since my situation medically is a bit different, we used gonal F as the first stage of all treatments. We didn't have to stop ovulation or use the pill since I don't ovulate.
We had to pay all out of pocket and still do!
I wish I would have done the double embryo transfer, however now I know for the future.
San Diego

All of the nurses [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] are fantastic. They cheer with you when you succeed (if you lost some weight); helped you when the tests were negative. Very caring.... Make sure to bring your new patient forms filled out before hand-they are very long and it's easier to have them completed beforehand.... They always made you aware of the costs upfront.... She will tell you the truth.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
She took the time to get to know us, answered any and all of our concerns, and would explain everything in details. Plus she has a great sense of humor!
All of the nurses are fantastic. They cheer with you when you succeed (if you lost some weight); helped you when the tests were negative. Very caring.
She really took the time to cover everything with you, really listened when she asked about how you responded to medications. She really wants to get to help you expand your family. She will also tell you exactly what will happen (if you do IUI/ IVF treatments and what to expect after them.
She will tell you the truth. She wants to help you achieve your dreams.
She recommend IVF to begin with (due to the length of time we've been trying); we wanted to start with IuIs first. She did as we asked, and would look at one cycle vs the next to see how the numbers would change (follicle size/ how many developed and on which side). She also asked about side affects from the medications clomid vs. letrezule.
Insurance did not pay for any treatment. They always made you aware of the costs upfront.
San Diego
I would have preferred that we didn't have to go to two different locations for different things. Especially when one location is further away. We had to trave for retrieval and transfer. Other than that everyone [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] had good customer service... 10, 500 for IVF with ICSI. 500 for anesthesia. Medications about 1500... She [nurse] was very approachable and did not treat us like a number. She is very caring and professional
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I would have preferred that we didn't have to go to two different locations for different things. Especially when one location is further away. We had to trave for retrieval and transfer. Other than that everyone had good customer service
She called herself to answer questions my husband or I had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Jessika )
She was very approachable and did not treat us like a number. She is very caring and professional
She is very compassionate and sympathetic. Also, Friendly, approachable, professional and caring. She made us feel well take cared of. Explained everything throughly. She kept on top of our treatment and was readily available if we had concerns
To trust her with their care and treatment and do not hesitate to ask questions
Follistim, micro hcg, lupron, progesterone suppositories, Estrace, cetrotite, pregnyl
10, 500 for IVF with ICSI. 500 for anesthesia. Medications about 1500

Poor Egg Quality, Other
Very perfessiinal. Great friendly staff [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group]. Always there to help. Always willing to answer your questions orconcerns. Know things and don’t act like they don’t. Very nice and sweet. I don’t see any weaknesses at all. Great office and staff.... Very knowledgeable, caring, sweet, always there to help and available. Great staff.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Very perfessiinal. Great friendly staff. Always there to help. Always willing to answer your questions orconcerns. Know things and don’t act like they don’t. Very nice and sweet. I don’t see any weaknesses at all. Great office and staff.
She was a great doctor. Listened and cared.
Over all great caring dr. I felt very comfortable. I really liked her a lot. Very precessional, knowledgeable, caring, sweet. Alswwys listebs to what you say. Answers and questions. Always returns your emails and calls. Very compassionate.
She really Kirsten’s and does all she can to help and test everything. Like your friend.
She used cloned pills and then injections for a couple of weeks to get ready for IUI. Didn’t work both try’s.
IUI and medication like 2500-2800
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Only weakness I will say about this clinic [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is the Financial person, she's rude.. condescending.. and doesn't know how to treat a patient that's under a great deal of stress. She has no tact and is the reason we left this office.... nursing staff is great and the girls that do the blood draw and soft to the touch and are so willing to help with anything... I was told one amount to inject for meds by one nurse and then another nurse told me a different amount.
Investment Banker
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Only weakness I will say about this clinic is the Financial person, she's rude.. condescending.. and doesn't know how to treat a patient that's under a great deal of stress. She has no tact and is the reason we left this office
Dr Shelly was Great however Once our egg retrieval failed she passed everything off cause of my weight and recommended that I start taking vitamins to increase my egg quality. I really wish this was brought up prior to us spending $26k!
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Shelly is a great doctor but I really wish the "after" information given was provided to us Before our retrieval. She's very compassionate in regards to your feelings and is soft spoken but some information was with held that could have been beneficial in the beginning
Make sure to ask all questions prior to your procedure and get costs on everything upfront
Ganarillex, progesterone
$17k

IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I can't think of any weaknesses. I felt everything was what I would want in a clinic [Fertility Specialists Medical Group]. My appointments were on time, quick and thorough. I was never given the runaround or felt frustrated. It was always a pleasant experience even with the personal turmoil I was going through. ... The clinic and staff were awesome. I felt like I was not a number. They k ew me by name and welcomed me everytime I walked in the door.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I can't think of any weaknesses. I felt everything was what I would want in a clinic. My appointments were on time, quick and thorough. I was never given the runaround or felt frustrated. It was always a pleasant experience even with the personal turmoil I was going through.
She was kind and understanding while being honest and blunt
She was great! Patient, kind, and a perfect fit for me. She talked you through everything. She spoke with other experts. She followed up. We stop in to see her every year or a so. She gave me the best daughter in the world!
Let her be the expert.
We went straight to IVF because at the time I was older, and my insurance covered some treatment. I did t want to waste time. That didn't work and we had to go with an egg donor.
It was at least 20k
She gave me the option for 1 or two transfers but was very confident 1 would work. 1 did work the first time!

2013 - 2018
[The nursing staff at Fertility Specialists Medical Group is] Responsive to questions and returned calls quickly...Smaller clinic, clean, organized, professional. Staff knows you by first name. Ancillary clinical staff and front office does have a somewhat high turnover rate but are all trained well. Feels like family!...Caring and compassionate doctor [Dr. Wendy Shelly]. Sees all her own patients and performs all ultrasounds and procedures. Provides detailed information about all treatment options. Never makes you feel pressured into any decision or treatment. Tailors care specifically to each individual.
2013 - 2018
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Caring bedside manner, warm, friendly, never makes you feel rushed. Explains information with detail and answers questions thoroughly.
Responsive to questions and returned calls quickly.
Caring and compassionate doctor. Sees all her own patients and performs all ultrasounds and procedures. Provides detailed information about all treatment options. Never makes you feel pressured into any decision or treatment. Tailors care specifically to each individual.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Very personal, very compassionate, very detail oriented...Very compassionate doctor [Dr Wendy Shelly] but things just didnt work out..when we finally did IVF after 3 unsuccessful iuis and even that didnt workout..she took the time to jot every detail down and look carefully if we are missing something...
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Very personal, very compassionate, very detail oriented
Very compassionate doctor but things just didnt work out..when we finally did IVF after 3 unsuccessful iuis and even that didnt workout..she took the time to jot every detail down and look carefully if we are missing something...
None