Carlsbad
8010 Frost Street
San Diego, CA 92123
858.505.5500

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Morales is incredibly smart and definitely is thorough in her initial diagnosis and game plan. Where we struggled was mainly due to scheduling and follow up on protocols. I would often leave with many questions unanswered and needing to call the office for clarity. She took really good notes in my chart, so we were always able to do a "play by play" after a failed procedure...she is a great doctor that could use some better scheduling and less patients.
How was your experience with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Morales is incredibly smart and definitely is thorough in her initial diagnosis and game plan. Where we struggled was mainly due to scheduling and follow up on protocols. I would often leave with many questions unanswered and needing to call the office for clarity. She took really good notes in my chart, so we were always able to do a "play by play" after a failed procedure. But after 2nd IVF and poor blastulation, she kind of just shrugged, not knowing where to go next. She recommended egg donor, but in terms of protocol- not much else. We loved her sense of humor, even though biting at times, but she is a great doctor that could use some better scheduling and less patients.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Use the Carlsbad office, and make sure you come with a list of questions right away. Bring a notepad, even.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
The FSMG is very busy! I was seen at both the Carlsbad and Metro office. The team at the Carlsbad Office knew me at every visit and were VERY warm for my early appointments. Erika (who is not longer there) and Allie were SO warm and personal in their communication. It was only when visiting the Metro Office that I felt like I was being rushed in and rushed out. I also had some appointment scheduling issues where I would get calls from several people not knowing I had already set up appointments. Felt like they were overwhelmed at times.
Describe the protocols Arlene Morales used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
My initial lab work showed decent ovarian reserve and normal hormone levels. I did have Uterine polyps which were addressed with my OBGYN in early 2019 before treatment began. We did 1 IUI to see if it would be a success, since both my husband and I tested normal for everything. In the IUI procedure, we almost missed my ovulation window - I ovulated on my own, even after they said that was impossible!! After that didn't work, we made the decision to do IVF. We did 75 Ganorelix, 150 Folistim, with Antogonist at the end. Got 7 mature eggs, 1 of which turned into embryo - PG tested very abnormal. **PANDEMIC HIT! Everything on pause**. In Mid May - they called us up letting us know they could resume cycles. Did second round with more aggressive antagonist protocol: Start with Ganorelix, then HGH, 300 Follistim, 150 Manopur. Ovulated on my own again ... then started over. Retrieved 4 eggs. None turned to embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Allie, my first primary nurse and the nurses at the Carlsbad location were INCREDIBLE. SO warm and very empathetic to what I was going through. The main issues were with the front office teams mixing up my appointments and sending me to the wrong location. After the Pandemic, I was re-assigned to a new Nurse Alex who, while very sweet, dropped the ball on a few critical occasions. I felt very passed off at the end.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strengths: Allie and the Carlsbad Nurses. That office was why we chose this clinic in the first place. Dr. Morales' humor. Weaknesses: Disorganization, over-scheduling, and follow up with the front office and Metro nursing staff. The Metro front office manager was VERY rude early on in 2019. They took my feedback about that very well and I believe she left? The team that took over was much nicer, but still disorganized.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
IUI - mis scheduled (as I mentioned above) IVF #1 - they were at the Carlsbad office at the same time every day and very easy stress wise. IVF #2 - late afternoons with Dr Morales per their pod scheduling.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
$12k starting for IVF. $4000 for drugs, $4000 PGT
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Over the three procedures, there were some speed bumps. 1. During our IUI, the front office manager at the Metro clinic got very combative in what day I should schedule my ultrasound appointment after Letrasole. I was very concerned it was a day too late. Not only did she schedule me at the wrong location, but it turns out I was OVULATING on my own! Stressful. 2. First IVF went pretty smooth in terms of communication. 3. Second IVF was post pandemic and pretty chaotic. I had a new nurse, and she forgot to send me my protocol details before starting injections that first Saturday. Luckily I guessed correctly. Not much follow up for this round and every appointment felt so chaotic, which I understood - but maybe schedule less patients?
San Diego

It didn't seem she [Dr. Arlene Morales] was very invested in us and was more invested in opening up the second clinic...on day of egg retrieval as a shock to us, she was not going to be the one doing the procedure. She handed us off to a different doctor that we had never seen...to all of a sudden know that someone else who doesn't know your background and has never met you to do the retrieval did not sit well for us.
The location [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] was not ideal as traffic became an issue if had an appointment past 3pm. At times parking could be crowded and the clinic itself is not easy to get to...[nurses] were the only thing that we loved about the clinic... Dr. Morales didn't seem to really listen to us and our fears, questions...She knew this was our only shot, but yet the thought of being more aggressive the first time was never discussed
It started off well and then it became very frustrating. She's incredibly knowledgeable, but I'm not sure she really asks the right questions for the benefit of the patient. For example, AMH was low and so it was understood there could be an issue withe the response to injectables. After our failed IVF round (our embryos did not grow past 5 days) at that point she introduced a more aggressive protocol for those who typically have low AMH and suggested a list of supplements as well. She knew this was our only shot, but yet the thought of being more aggressive the first time was never discussed. It seemed to us that she just choose a protocol that is typical for all IVF patients.
Do your research as she may not give you all the information you need. I'm not sure how invested she is in her patients as I've heard other negative reviews about her.
In speaking with Dr. Morales initially, we felt really comfortable. She was direct and knowledgeable. But unfortunately once we started our IVF cycle, things changed. And one thing they did not disclose to us is that they were opening up a second clinic in north county, 30-45 mins away. If we would of known this, we would of gone to a different doctor as we wanted someone who would be fully invested in us and our cycle. The doctor was later numerous times because she was commuting back and forth from the new clinic. Once we saw her to do ultrasounds and follow-up appointments, it seemed very rushed and she was very rushed to speak to us b/c she was already running late because of her commute. It didn't seem she was very invested in us and was more invested in opening up the second clinic. I will say the nurses were amazing, they were the only thing that we loved about the clinic.
Its been a few years so I can't remember specifics. But it did seem like she decided a protocol that is very common for those going through IVF. I understand that you learn from each cycle, but again the lack of listening to patients and investment seems lost. If I could go back, I would of asked to do a more aggressive protocol.
Our nurse was amazing. The most caring person we interacted at the clinic. She took us step through step w/o being frustrated with all our questions. She understood the emotional aspects of the process and was very comforting when the IVF cycle failed. She was more compassionate than Dr. Morales. She was a rock star!
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strengths- the nursing staff were amazing to work with; response times for returned phone calls were excellent; Weakness- Doctor not being invested was a big one for me. She tended to be late for appointments which was frustrating because we worked full-time jobs yet we were there on time but she could not be. We were paid for HER services yet she fell short overall. The location was not ideal as traffic became an issue if had an appointment past 3pm. At times parking could be crowded and the clinic itself is not easy to get to.
The treatment was about $13K + $5K for drugs + add'l fees; all in all I believe we spent close to $20k
Describe Arlene Morales's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
We unfortunately never got to embryo transfers.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Another point was of her being not invested is that on day of egg retrieval as a shock to us, she was not going to be the one doing the procedure. She handed us off to a different doctor that we had never seen. At that point in the cycle you become very emotional and to all of a sudden know that someone else who doesn't know your background and has never met you to do the retrieval did not sit well for us. She's very knowledgeable, but again I'm not sure she looks into each patient as an individual and a unique case versus just another person needing her service and she writes a protocol that is very general. After the fact, I did some research and realized that one of the supplements to increase egg quality/ AMH is DHEA. Of course I cross-referenced this with the list they gave us AFTER the failed IVF and couldn't fathom why they wouldn't of mentioned this to us earlier. Why she didn't say how about you take these supplements for a month or two and then we do IVF cycle to better your chances. Again, no investment or forethought to help us. The experience was devastating because we came out of it with nothing, but the hardest part is that Dr. Morales didn't seem to really listen to us and our fears, questions.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
I personally felt like she [Dr. Arlene Morales] was a bully. I genuinely don’t think she feels that way and views herself as just a very experienced and blunt doctor. I think she has good intentions, but I had anxiety every time I had to meet with her. She would steamroll my questions...Our appointments were always insanely rushed.
They [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] plan your cycle around what’s best for the clinic and not your personal cycle. It doesn’t matter what the ideal day if your cycle would be to start a medication...The clinic was small, but fine. Small parking area, small rooms. Seemed a bit chaotic at times. Nurses always rushing in and out of rooms and trying to talk to the reception desk. Receptionists were nice and always attempted to remember my name.
I personally felt like she was a bully. I genuinely don’t think she feels that way and views herself as just a very experienced and blunt doctor. I think she has good intentions, but I had anxiety every time I had to meet with her. She would steamroll my questions. Whenever I tried to present more current research as ask if she’d consider a different t approach since hers wasn’t working, she’d scoff and respond “I’ve been doing this for 30 years.” While I don’t want to diminish that, I think being a bit humble and trying to learn what’s current is what makes a good doctor. Our appointments were always insanely rushed. She would always try to push us to do many expensive “add-ons” even if we didn’t see the need. I felt like she really belittled the intense emotional and financial struggle we were enduring.
Don’t let her rush or talk over you. Trust your gut. If you feel like the cycle isn’t going well, it’s absolutely within your right to request to cancel and start a new one.
They plan your cycle around what’s best for the clinic and not your personal cycle. It doesn’t matter what the ideal day if your cycle would be to start a medication- they just start you on Saturday to make it less likely that they’ll need to do a weekend retrieval. Multiple times I asked questions like “wouldn’t it be better on a different day” and was told “this is just our protocol”.
The first cycle she had us just do birth control pills, but on the day we were supposed to start, I already had one big dominant follicle. Cycle canceled. The next cycle we used ganirelix to stop me from ovulating, but that seemed to suppress my follicle growth completely. She still pushed to continue the cycle. They weren’t growing well so she kept upping my doses of follistim and menopur. Finally we had a bit of growth but it was small and slow. Eventually I had about 14 follicles, but they didn’t seem to be very similar in size or as large as I had read was ideal for retrieval. But she insisted we just continue this cycle and assured me she knew what she was doing and would likely get upwards of 10-14 eggs. I ended up getting 4 eggs from the retrieval. One egg made it to chromosome testing, but was abnormal. She called immediately trying to push for a new cycle, but we had no funds left. She said the money doesn’t matter and we should just do a new cycle and would likely get better results even doing what we had just done. We decided then to move to a different clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie and the blood draw team were amazing. And I felt terrible for them because they seemed completely stressed and overworked. But they were incredibly kind, compassionate, and as thorough as they could be.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I believe we had to do a package for IVF. I think each retrieval cycle cost about $30,000. That didn’t include medication which cost us about $11,000. There were $200 fees for each cycle even if you never started. The convinced me to get an expensive package that covered testing, but then the doctor said I didn’t need all those tests so they didn’t let me do then but also wouldn’t refund the package.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Sometimes offered explanations of why we would or wouldn’t do something in my cycle very confidently, but then days later would say the opposite and would change my protocol. Things weren’t explained to me to the level that I even understood them. Just told “Nevermind we shouldn’t do that.”
San Diego

Be ready to receive a lot of information to digest later [from Dr. Morales]!...provides a lot of information. She as a booklet ready with all sort of information support to explain things. She is friendly and makes jokes (which may make you feel uncomfortable by times though....). However, we always had to wait at our appointments, and she is too fast and a bit overwhelming, there is no time to digest information when in an appointment...
[Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is a small clinic affiliated to a medical group inside our insurance network. This is the primary reason we started with them. The clinic otherwise is not particularly attractive and looks like a regular hospital department. There is waiting time every time we have an appointment but the personnel is usually friendly...We had one bad experience were a nurse interpreted a genetic test result over the phone and was wrong (said my wife had some disease and may show symptoms in the future, whereas she is a carrier but not affected), where she should not have stated anything expect we had results to review with the doctor....
She is no short of information on how things work, has documentation to support what she says. Although, at times it feels like she is using always the same speech and may be pointing towards certain treatments that are more beneficial to the clinic. She tries to be friendly, including making jokes (which I don't always find funny, so whether it is positive or negative depends on how you receive it...). At least the relationship is human and not mechanical...
Be ready to receive a lot of information to digest later!
Dr Morales provides a lot of information. She as a booklet ready with all sort of information support to explain things. She is friendly and makes jokes (which may make you feel uncomfortable by times though....). However, we always had to wait at our appointments, and she is too fast and a bit overwhelming, there is no time to digest information when in an appointment.
Not gone there yet
Most conversations we had at this point were by email and phone, being in the evaluation stage. Nurses were normal (not particularly compassionate or rude). We had one bad experience were a nurse interpreted a genetic test result over the phone and was wrong (said my wife had some disease and may show symptoms in the future, whereas she is a carrier but not affected), where she should not have stated anything expect we had results to review with the doctor....
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
It is a small clinic affiliated to a medical group inside our insurance network. This is the primary reason we started with them. The clinic otherwise is not particularly attractive and looks like a regular hospital department. There is waiting time every time we have an appointment but the personnel is usually friendly.
IUIs cost about 2500$ with no meds, 3000$ with oral meds, 8000$ with injectable, 4000$ with combo meds IVF is about 11,500$ up to egg retrieval, 7000$ for egg retrieval, 4500$ for embryo biopsy (optional) and 3500$ per transfer Those costs include estimated medication
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
We always carry our own set of lab results because several times the doctor didn't have the results we had sent them in their file. One time they also had the results from another person mixed with ours. We also had a call to inform about genetic tests that was misinforming us about the results. Furthermore, while calling, my wife said she was not in the right environment to receive the information but the nurse still gave it over the phone...
San Diego

When you sit down with Dr. Maas for a consult, she is kind. But for most of the appointments (monitoring, discussing treatment, etc.), she seems rushed and does not ask if you have any questions. Often times I left my appointment wondering what happened or why something was recommended next. I often felt in the dark. I wrote a list of questions to ask at the next appointment and I stopped her before she left to ask her about it all. This made me feel like I was just a patient to collect insurance and copayments from, not to help along in this difficult journey. Also, at most appointments, I was asked by various staff when my LMP was even though I have completely anovulatory PCOS. It seemed like the clinic should have this noted in my chart, and that made me feel like a number rather than a person.
Doctors [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] are too busy to explain what they are doing and why...Never expect a phone call or email from a nurse - let alone from a doctor here. With an office this big, two locations, and so many staff members, there REALLY needs to be systems in place. The disorganization here is frustrating. For example, sometimes I was seen in both locations and my files were not always in the right location, even though I spoke with the front desk about ensuring my files would be available when I made each appointment. Also, when I finally decided I deserved better patient care, I requested my medical records and some of the records were missing. I had to advocate for myself to get the complete set of records because this office didn't have it all together themselves.
How was your experience with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Maas is kind, intelligent and well-trained. I appreciated that she does seem to care, but she seems to have too many patients. I did NOT feel well cared for by her or this clinic. The rushed time at monitoring appointments and insufficient explanations in the process were defeating.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
If you have any questions, ask before you leave. Also, know that there are other doctors who have more time and better systems in place where you can receive the individualized support you need. Do not settle for a doctor just because you're already there.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Describe the protocols Kristi Maas used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
My very first cycle under the care of a fertility specialist was with Dr. Maas. She recommended Letrozole (lowest dose) and timed intercourse. Initially I wasn't responding to the medication, but she recommended that we wait a few days and then check on my response. It appeared that I would be ovulating and she prescribed me Ovidrel injection for ovulation and we did timed intercourse. Two weeks later, I had a negative pregnancy test and I never got a period. Dr. Maas thought for sure that I ovulated (but my second RE thinks I never did). My second cycle was also with Letrozole at a higher dose. I did not respond initially. I was seen by Dr. Maas's colleague that day and she prescribed me the highest dose of Letrozole. No one ever explained this to me so it honestly felt like the wrong treatment for me. I felt uneasy and uncared for so did not complete the cycle because of skepticism with the office. No pregnancy resulted.
This office has many different nurses, and I often saw a different nurse each time. I never got to learn their names even though I had been at the clinic for over 6 months. Nurses are friendly, but they are frustratingly difficult to communicate with. They also . When my husband got his semen analysis, I called the office about the results/interpretation and a nurse said she would "spread the word" about the results to be on the lookout for them and then call me back. This response was unprofessional and awkward, and we never did get a call back that day. It was a Friday so we gave them the benefit of the doubt as having a busy day, but we still did not get the results until I called again that Monday or Tuesday. Communication with nurses was one of the most frustrating parts of my time with this clinic. Often you could not get ahold of a nurse so you would be sent to voicemail and the majority of the time you would not get a call back. If you did get to talk to a nurse, it was a different one each time. I felt like I (and my my concerns/questions/voicemails) got lost in the poorly organized system of this office.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strengths of this clinic include having two locations in San Diego, nice offices, and great availability for appointments. The Carlsbad location is really nice and new. The San Diego office is very large. It is easy to get appointments same day/week. However, these factors don't really matter as much compared to the office's weaknesses. Weaknesses of this clinic include terrible communication, disorganization, poor systems and disjointed staff. Communication is their biggest downfall. Doctors are too busy to explain what they are doing and why. Doctors act like they are trying to see as many patients as humanly possible in a day so they can collect a bigger paycheck (from you and from your insurance). Never expect a phone call or email from a nurse - let alone from a doctor here. With an office this big, two locations, and so many staff members, there REALLY needs to be systems in place. The disorganization here is frustrating. For example, sometimes I was seen in both locations and my files were not always in the right location, even though I spoke with the front desk about ensuring my files would be available when I made each appointment. Also, when I finally decided I deserved better patient care, I requested my medical records and some of the records were missing. I had to advocate for myself to get the complete set of records because this office didn't have it all together themselves.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
With TRICARE Standard, my copayment for monitoring ultrasound and blood work was about $30. Most everything else was covered.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
It is clear this team is not integrated and does not communicate regularly. The receptionist, nurses, financial staff, doctors, etc. are not on the same page. For example, we wanted to start our second cycle right away, but we were told that we had to wait for insurance prior authorization again. This was our first time doing these treatments and we did not know this information. We thought insurance was fine because we were still within the authorization approval window. Someone from the staff should have been aware of this to save us some time, but they didn't. So we requested prior authorization and one staff member said they would put it in that same day we talked. Nearly a week after that, we called our insurance to see if it had been approved and they said they had not received any request! We had to call back multiple times to finally get ahold of someone and they apologized and eventually got it done. YOU as the patient have to be steps ahead and proactive because this clinic will not have it all together for you. This just delayed our time getting pregnant unnecessarily. Also, when we requested medical records, they said they needed a month, so we gave them that time. As that month came, we started calling to ask when we could come pick up the records and they still said they were not ready but did not know when they would be. Tired of the waiting and wasted time, I went in person and told them it had been a month and I needed the records now, especially if I had to pay for them ($25) and had already waited a month. That worked, but it was unnecessarily difficult working with this clinic. This clinic caused me more tears and frustration that were unrelated to the medication/infertility itself. Patients deserve better.
Kristi Maas

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Morales] explains things and seems to know what she is talking about and backs up the information with recent research. She speaks very fast and uses medical terms that I don't always understand so a lot of the time I leave feeling confused or overwhelmed. I don't feel she takes patients situations case by case and treats everyone the same as she has her own agenda in mind...very smart and experienced.
Every time I go [to Fertility Specialists Medical Group] it seems I have a different nurse. For my first cycle I had a care coordinator that I mainly spoke to via phone or email and did not see her often st the office. This cycle I have a new care coordinator and she is new to the office, and seems inexperienced. My last appointment I saw someone different. It makes it difficult when it seems there are so many people involved and no one really knows you or your situation other than what is written in the chart.
Dr. Morales is very smart and experienced. She explains things and seems to know what she is talking about and backs up the information with recent research. She speaks very fast and uses medical terms that I don't always understand so a lot of the time I leave feeling confused or overwhelmed. I don't feel she takes patients situations case by case and treats everyone the same as she has her own agenda in mind .
Be prepared with your own questions to ask and do research before hand to know what to ask for.
She and her office are very busy. When I meet with her it is always very rushed. She has very little bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: I was but rarely saw her. Now I have someone new, Kelly )
Every time I go it seems I have a different nurse. For my first cycle I had a care coordinator that I mainly spoke to via phone or email and did not see her often st the office. This cycle I have a new care coordinator and she is new to the office, and seems inexperienced. My last appointment I saw someone different. It makes it difficult when it seems there are so many people involved and no one really knows you or your situation other than what is written in the chart. The clinic I was at before I had one care coordinator and mostly one nurse that I dealt with for all of my care.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
For the most part everyone is nice and friendly . I have never had any problems getting appointments and for most appointments I am seen right at my appointment time. There is a lot of staff which is good, but at the same time makes it confusing as to who is your main point of contact for questions or concerns. With so many people being involved in your care, it can feel at times like you are just a number and no one really knows you or your case.
I did a single embryo ivf transfer with a donor embryo. I think her reasoning behind doing one is because I only had two. The first one failed and I am about to two the second transfer. Hoping for better results.
San Diego

I liked Dr. Shelly's attitude and her confidence that she would get us pregnant. She also had a sense of humor which I appreciated. I did wish she would have given me more details about how many follicles seemed mature with each of our IUIs and I wish she'd been more willing to be more aggressive and possibly due injectable meds with an IUI...When Dr. Shelly recommended we move on from IUI and try IVF she seemed genuinely concerned about my emotional well-being in handling more disapointment
The clinic [Fertility Specialists] just looks like a regular doctors office. The front office staff is nice and easy to communicate with...I don't feel like I had a ton of interaction with the nursing staff since Dr. Shelly did all the ultrasounds and inseminations, but they did draw my blood for the pregnancy tests and call with results. They seemed knowledgeable and compassionate when they called with negative results...My husband's semen analysis were $150...
How was your experience with Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Ask questions. I think if I'd wanted the info on the number and size of follicles she would have given it to me, I was just to timid to ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Describe the protocols Wendy Shelly used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
Our first 2 IUIs were with clomid. I don't remember the dosage. The 3rd IUI which resulted in a chemical pregnancy was with letrozole. All 3 we triggered with ovidrel.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinic just looks like a regular doctors office. The front office staff is nice and easy to communicate with. I did feel that when we were trying to decide if we would move forward with IVF with this clinic that they were kind of just trying to get our money, rather than concerned about our ability to pay the huge price tag.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The initial consult was covered by insurance and was $250 I think. It included an ultrasound. My husband's semen analysis were $150 I think and we did 2. We had more bloodwork drawn, but I don't remember the cost of that. The IUIs were covered by insurance at 50% and were $757 not including the meds. The most expensive medication was the ovidrel injection at $78.
Describe Wendy Shelly's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
While we decided not to do IVF with Dr. Shelly we did talk about it with her. She recommended with a fresh transfer to transfer 2 embryos, but with a frozen transfer to just transfer 1.
San Diego

She [Dr. Arlene Morales] did not recommend he see a urologist and when I suggested it could not give any recommendations of who to see. Instead she continued to go on with IUIs and was ready to jump right into IVF when all 3 IUIs failed which we now know would have also been wasted since my husband has some abnormalities that need to be addressed by a male infertility urologist.
I did not like that there was always a new nurse [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group]. I had a difficult time ever getting through to speak with someone. They would send me to their voicemail and it could take days for a response. For our first IUI they wrote the wrong date for the trigger which luckily I caught within hours of almost giving myself the injection too early. The nurses are very nice but both my husband and I had a difficult time with many mistakes by the nurses
My initial impression was not a good one with her running 90 minutes late for my first assessment. When she finally came in she was very frazzled. Then when I returned for follow up with my husband she was again all over the place and did not even introduce herself or acknowledge him for the first 30 minutes. Those are minor compared to the fact that she gave us inaccurate information on my husband’s SA results that essentially should have made her stop with all of our IUIs and proceed with further testing. She did not recommend he see a urologist and when I suggested it could not give any recommendations of who to see. Instead she continued to go on with IUIs and was ready to jump right into IVF when all 3 IUIs failed which we now know would have also been wasted since my husband has some abnormalities that need to be addressed by a male infertility urologist. We are with a new RE now and still trying to sort out what our best options are to maximize success vs Dr. Morales who was ready to just go through all the motions without considering what would give us the best likelihood for success.
Make sure you ask lots of questions and rationale for why she is doing things. Also, get a second opinion.
The front desk made frequent errors as did the doctor who often would say the wrong medication that I was taking, the wrong cycle day I was on and the wrong IUI cycle we were doing. Even when she was directly looking at the chart.
I was on letrozole 7.5 mg for all 3 IUIs which worked for me produce 1-2 follicles. We had to cancel 1 cycle because my husband had high WBC suddenly. She said this would not be a problem if we were doing IVF which I now know is false. The high WBC damage the DNA so would have been a huge issue if we were doing IVF.
I did not like that there was always a new nurse. I had a difficult time ever getting through to speak with someone. They would send me to their voicemail and it could take days for a response. For our first IUI they wrote the wrong date for the trigger which luckily I caught within hours of almost giving myself the injection too early. The nurses are very nice but both my husband and I had a difficult time with many mistakes by the nurses
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I do think that everyone was nice but in the world of infertility I think that is a bit irrelevant. I liked that I saw the doctor every time but in retrospect I was rushed through and she was so frazzled I was surprised she even know who I was. Knowing what I know now through interaction with our new RE my top complaints are with Dr. Morales not explaining the importance of certain tests or the rationale behind them and that she was not up to date with what to do for male factor problems and did not refer us appropriately to someone who was more knowledgeable on this issue. The front desk was very disorganized with paperwork, billing us too much on several occasions and forgetting to have us sign papers that then required us to return for additional visits just to sign. The nurses were caring but with a new face each time they didn’t really know our situation.
We did have coverage for IUIs so with copays and meds it came out to about $200 per cycle. We had 3 IUIs and 1 cancelled cycle plus one frozen sample for my husband so in total around $1,000
Mentioned in previous section
San Diego

Anytime I called they [Fertility Specialists Med Group] said they lost my file and would have to call back when they found it. They also told me I'm a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis, and it turned out they were looking at the wrong chart, and I'm NOT a carrier. They also failed to provide us with their binder for IVF procedures, then told us to make sure we understood everything inside it and sign the paperwork that goes with it. When we said we never got the binder, they said we could just sign the papers next time we come in without actually reading through it.
Dr. Morales does not have good bedside manner. She was rushed and rude. She didn't seem to care about our treatment or individual needs. We felt like cattle being herded through the baby making machine.
Pick a different doctor and clinic.
We could tell that Dr. Morales was very busy, and she seemed distracted when we met with her. She spoke very quickly and didn't really give us a chance to speak at all. She seemed to have a rehearsed speech that she gives all new patients. We did not feel good after leaving her office. She also told us to just keep trying on our own and it would happen. We did that for a year after meeting with her. It didn't matter to her that we had already done that for a year. After almost 5 years of trying every fertility option out there we still have not conceived, so clearly she was wrong about that.
We left this doctor before beginning treatment because our experience with her and her staff was so bad.
They were terrible! They were so disorganized. Anytime I called they said they lost my file and would have to call back when they found it. They also told me I'm a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis, and it turned out they were looking at the wrong chart, and I'm NOT a carrier. They also failed to provide us with their binder for IVF procedures, then told us to make sure we understood everything inside it and sign the paperwork that goes with it. When we said we never got the binder, they said we could just sign the papers next time we come in without actually reading through it. This was the last straw for us, and we left the clinic after this.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I was very unhappy with this clinic. We only went there because our insurance referred us there. The clinic seemed to have way more patients than they could effectively manage. Lots of things seemed to fall through the cracks. I would never tell anyone I care about to go to this clinic.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
I hated this clinic. They are so disorganized. They constantly lost my file and shared the personal information of others with me by mistake. They didn't take my fertility issues seriously, and I lost a year and a half because of them saying my issues would resolve themselves. They did not. The doctor did not seem to care about my fertility success, she just went through the motions without considering my personal needs.
San Diego

Dr Shelly was always fantastic at the bedside. Very warm and friendly bedside manner, you can tell she actually cares. She takes the time to listen to patient’s concerns and answers questions. ... She was very understanding, warm, good bedside, positive ... Ovulation induction using letrozole for PCOS. Two cycles unmonitored and two monitored with IUI. ... I felt like I needed to be on top of my appointments and meds and had to make multiple calls to start cycles on time but i think that was more office issues.
Nurse coordinators were difficult to get a hold of, sometimes for a few days. Instructed wrong dosage and date for trigger shot. ... The front desk staff [ Fertility Specialists Med Group] was usually great ... Finance people were great and felt no pressure to pick a higher coating treatment at any point. ... Sometimes staff left out important details or instruction to my husband or I and it was new to us, I know it’s every day to them but left us unaware or confused.
Loved Dr Shelly, great bedside and really listened to me (I’m a nurse and I know we’re a pain). I felt like I needed to be on top of my appointments and meds and had to make multiple calls to start cycles on time but i think that was more office issues.
Ask any of your questions, know what is supposed to happen next and stay on top of office staff for cycle starts/medications.
She was very understanding, warm, good bedside, positive
Ovulation induction using letrozole for PCOS. Two cycles unmonitored and two monitored with IUI. Never achieved a pregnancy.
Difficult to get ahold of to start a cycle. Would not call back with time specific things. Was shuffled around between nurses so they weren’t familiar and always had to explain situation. Sometimes short on the phone.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Dr Shelly was always fantastic at the bedside. Very warm and friendly bedside manner, you can tell she actually cares. She takes the time to listen to patient’s concerns and answers questions. The front desk staff was usually great, other doctor I saw was also very friendly but obviously new. Finance people were great and felt no pressure to pick a higher coating treatment at any point. Kind of a ‘cold’ atmosphere in an already nerve wracking and uncomfortable setting. Communication with nurse coordinators was sometimes lacking and stressful. Sometimes staff left out important details or instruction to my husband or I and it was new to us, I know it’s every day to them but left us unaware or confused.
I think IUI with monitoring was $750 per cycle without meds

Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr. Shelly was a nice, warm person. However, I felt like since my body did not respond to their treatment protocols, she didn't have much else to offer me. She tried to get me to use donor eggs, rather than trying a different cycle. ... They [Fertility Specialists Med Grp] had a book of protocols, and she cycled through them. I didn't feel as though much thought was put into what may work for me over someone else.
I think that due to the size of their [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] office, things were not communicated well. ... Nursing staff in her office rarely remembered me. ... I had to chase down nursing staff on several occasions to get what I needed and to get questions answered. ... They tend to cater to straightforward cases. I think that their approach may work for several people, but once they go through their book of protocols, they don't have much else to try other than donor eggs.
I think she would be perfect for a younger patient who does not any other medical issues.
Dr. Shelly was wonderful, but occasionally she would not be in. Nursing staff in her office rarely remembered me. I felt that they tried to fit me into a pre-planned cycle that didn't work with my body. When that failed, they said I had to use donor eggs, or they couldn't help me.
They had a book of protocols, and she cycled through them. I didn't feel as though much thought was put into what may work for me over someone else.
They were a large office, and I felt I only sometimes saw the same nurses. They did not remember me from visit to visit.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
They are a larger office. They tend to cater to straightforward cases. I think that their approach may work for several people, but once they go through their book of protocols, they don't have much else to try other than donor eggs.
No sure of specifics, but on par with others in the area.
none
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
I think that due to the size of their office, things were not communicated well. I had to chase down nursing staff on several occasions to get what I needed and to get questions answered.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Investment Banker
Dr Shelly was Great however Once our egg retrieval failed she passed everything off cause of my weight and recommended that I start taking vitamins to increase my egg quality. I really wish this was brought up prior to us spending $26k!... She's very compassionate in regards to your feelings and is soft spoken but some information was with held that could have been beneficial in the beginning...
Only weakness I will say about this clinic [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is the Financial person, she's rude.. condescending.. and doesn't know how to treat a patient that's under a great deal of stress. She has no tact and is the reason we left this office.... nursing staff is great and the girls that do the blood draw and soft to the touch and are so willing to help with anything... I was told one amount to inject for meds by one nurse and then another nurse told me a different amount.
Dr Shelly is a great doctor but I really wish the "after" information given was provided to us Before our retrieval. She's very compassionate in regards to your feelings and is soft spoken but some information was with held that could have been beneficial in the beginning
Make sure to ask all questions prior to your procedure and get costs on everything upfront
Ganarillex, progesterone
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Only weakness I will say about this clinic is the Financial person, she's rude.. condescending.. and doesn't know how to treat a patient that's under a great deal of stress. She has no tact and is the reason we left this office
$17k

2021, Consult
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I feel they [Dr. Arlene Morales} are very respectful and caring. Unfortunately we had very bad luck with our two egg donors, both our sperm, and the three gestational carriers we have used. We feel positive that others might have a meaningful and positive experience...I wish it was more acceptable to transfer more than one embryo. With all our pre genetic tested embryos our outcomes were not positive either.
The [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] strengths are communication and understanding of infertility issues. I wish there was a bigger educational process. If I repeated this process I would advocate more for myself and my understanding of the process...Our sperm was left out. Our pregnancy test results call took all day to receive. They left it for end of business day. We feel nobody wanted to give us the bad news. We wish we had a different 3rd party coordinator.
I feel they are very respectful and caring. Unfortunately we had very bad luck with our two egg donors, both our sperm, and the three gestational carriers we have used. We feel positive that others might have a meaningful and positive experience.
Take your time learning about all your options. Get educated.
Because my partner and I feel they were caring but realistic. We were told we are very unlucky and no matter what we try the results would not be favorable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Marianne )
I feel this is where things did not go well.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The strengths are communication and understanding of infertility issues. I wish there was a bigger educational process. If I repeated this process I would advocate more for myself and my understanding of the process.
The costs were excessive. My heart pounds every time I think about it. We are in debt for the next decade.