Carlsbad
8010 Frost Street
San Diego, CA 92123
858.505.5500

2013 - 2014, Successful
She [Dr. Morales] addressed our concerns honestly and while being blunt she still showed compassion to our situation. She was extremely detailed oriented and kindly entertained and answered the page of questions and concerns we had. Throughout the duration of our treatment she spoke to us by name, always made eye contact, asked personal questions that were specific to us and genuinely showed sadness and concern when things didn't look good with our embryos.
Results came back quickly, the entire staff [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] was on the same page with our record and day-to-day details. We found their costs to be honest, up front, and they even gave us tips on where to get the discounted or less expensive meds. ... op notch doesn't even begin to explain the nursing staff. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to our nurse at each visit and the nurses in the O.R. they were kind, compassionate, attentive and professional.
How was your experience with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Morales is a straight-to-the-point woman. She does not sugar coat anything, but still has the skill to show compassion. She is detail oriented and as many times as she has met new clients, she still managed to make us feel like we were her only clients. I've heard others say her bedside manner was cold, but I didn't find that to be true at all. My previous doctor treated us like a number and didn't care when our IUIs failed, Dr Morales was honest and kind. We appreciated her bedside manner and found it to be honest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
The only thing I wished I had asked was what her failure rate was. I wouldn't expect her to offer that up, but I wish I had asked. Prior to our experience I had never met anyone who had a failed IVF experience and as we came close to that end I was shocked. A couple of years later when friends of ours underwent IVF and had zero embryos I was in shock again. I had never heard of that happening, but of course should have known better and asked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Morales had reviewed our file before our Consultation and as we discussed our options she was already prepared according to our specific needs and contents of our file. She addressed our concerns honestly and while being blunt she still showed compassion to our situation. She was extremely detailed oriented and kindly entertained and answered the page of questions and concerns we had. Throughout the duration of our treatment she spoke to us by name, always made eye contact, asked personal questions that were specific to us and genuinely showed sadness and concern when things didn't look good with our embryos. After our miracle embryo took she did a happy dance with us in the office to celebrate. She checked in with me during each blood draw and even made a personal call after I was no longer under their care and was transferred to my OBGYN.
Describe the protocols Arlene Morales used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
I began by taking Progesterone + Estrogen/Estrace (2mg) 2x/day prior to and through my cycle. After my cycle ended I took Follistim (300IU) and Micro hCG (10 IU) for one week. After a blood draw at week 1 I took the Antagonist = Ganirelix 1x/day while being monitored. For Egg Retrieval I took HCG (3333 units) as a subcutaneous injection + Dostinex (.5mg) tablet daily for 7 days. Day before egg retrieval I had no injections or medications. Morning Day of egg retrieval I had no injections or medications. Evening of egg retrieval I began - Progesterone (400mg) vaginal capsule 2x/day which continued through first week of pregnancy. I also started Doxycycline (100mg) 2x/day for only 5 days + Estrace (2mg) tablet 2x/day + Aspirin (81mg) 1x/day + Dostinex (.5mg) 1x/day After positive pregnancy test I continued the Progesterone for a week.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Top notch doesn't even begin to explain the nursing staff. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to our nurse at each visit and the nurses in the O.R. they were kind, compassionate, attentive and professional. We were greeted by name by each nurse we interacted with, I had various nurses checking in on my at blood draws, the nurses in the O.R. were EXTREMELY patient when I was emotionally a wreck. The nurse we had at the embryo transfer was a rock for us as we dealt this shocking news. A handful of nurses did a happy dance with us when we got a positive pregnancy test and the nurse who called to tell me about our positive pregnancy test cried with me over the phone. We couldn't have been more impressed with the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The only thing I can think of that wasn't ideal was the wait to get in for a consultation. We waited maybe two months to get an appointment, but once we we decided to move forward we had no issues getting appointments. We both liked that they offered early a.m. appointments as we could go before work. We also appreciated they offered free parking and had a cozy waiting room. But I think we the fact that they were an all encompassing (had their own lab, could do all blood draws on-site, did egg retrievals and embryo transfers under the same room) was incredible. Results came back quickly, the entire staff was on the same page with our record and day-to-day details. We found their costs to be honest, up front, and they even gave us tips on where to get the discounted or less expensive meds. Really no complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Clinic Fee $4500 + Surgery/O.R. (egg retrieval & embryo transfer) $6000 both due at start of agreement. Anesthesiologist for egg retrieval $460 and was paid directly to the anesthesiologist on the day of retrieval. We also chose to do an updated blood/hormone panel for me which cost $700. Our insurance helped with some of the over-the-counter medications ($6 for Aspirin & $6 for Estradiol). Injectables, needles, alcohol pads, progesterone, trigger shots, and other medications cost approximately $7000. Our insurance paid half of the cost for the egg retrieval so we were reimbursed roughly $1500 if I remember correctly. Had we need Cryopreservation for embryos it would have been $1100 and embryo storage would have been billed $65 monthly or $600 annually.
Describe Arlene Morales's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
My husband and I had decided we only wanted a single embryo transferred and since we had both been diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility Dr. Morales fully supported that decision.

2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Shelly has already exceeded our expectations. She is kind and compassionate and listens to what we have to say. She offers suggestions on our plan of care but ultimately lets us choose. She is very knowledgeable and friendly...my husbands sperm count and motility are "perfect" as Dr. Shelly said so the original plan was to start with IUI, but she instead said we could try a couple of rounds of medicated timed intercourse with Letrozole.
We had insurance as well. With Dr. Shelly, we have paid $225 for baseline ultrasound, $100 for follow-up appt, and $30 copay for initial eval appt so far...Everyone [at Fertility Specialists Medical] is always very friendly and courteous. I receive calls back promptly...With regards to the COVID protocols, they are still a little intense. My daughter or my husband is still not allowed in and I have required to be screened outside still and switch to a paper mask
How was your experience with Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
We had used Dr. Maas at FSMG for our two prior IVF cycles but she has moved out of state so we began seeing Dr. Shelly. Dr. Maas was so good we didn't think she could be beaten. Dr. Shelly has already exceeded our expectations. She is kind and compassionate and listens to what we have to say. She offers suggestions on our plan of care but ultimately lets us choose. She is very knowledgeable and friendly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
I have yet to experience any negative interactions with her. She has been doing this for a long time and is very knowledgeable in her field. You wouldn't go wrong using Dr. Shelly as your RE.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
She is very informative and takes the time during each appointment to make sure we understand everything she is saying. She gives us options on our treatment plan and not just pushes something on us. She is very friendly, warm, and personable.
Describe the protocols Wendy Shelly used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
Prior to our daughter, we went through two unsuccessful rounds of IVF due to PCOS, thyroid issues, anovulation, and male factor infertility. I ended up getting pregnant naturally after my second round of IVF egg retrieval which all of our embryos didn't survive. Now my husbands sperm count and motility are "perfect" as Dr. Shelly said so the original plan was to start with IUI, but she instead said we could try a couple of rounds of medicated timed intercourse with Letrozole. We will be starting again in May.
Everyone is always very friendly and courteous. I receive calls back promptly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
With regards to the COVID protocols, they are still a little intense. My daughter or my husband is still not allowed in and I have required to be screened outside still and switch to a paper mask. These protocols aren't in place for any other medical provider I am still seeing. Hard to be inseminated without your husband being able to be there, or to go to multiple appointments a week for 15 minutes and find a babysitter for a infant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Shelly at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Under our previous doctor within the same clinic we spent about $15,000 for two rounds of IVF out of pocket. We had insurance as well. With Dr. Shelly, we have paid $225 for baseline ultrasound, $100 for follow-up appt, and $30 copay for initial eval appt so far.
Describe Wendy Shelly's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
No comment.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Results unable to be given over the phone.

2020, Unknown Success
How was your experience with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Maas is very thorough in her evaluations. We have never felt like she has left anything out. Every outside consult we've had they have said the same thing, that Dr. Maas is one of a kind and makes sure everything that can be ruled out is, in order to give us the highest chance of success with the lowest form of intervention. Dr. Maas explains everything in a way that someone who doesn't have a medical background can understand. She leaves extra time during each appointment to ensure all our questions are answered. We never feel rushed during our appointments with her. She is very kind and compassionate and shows she cares during what is one of the hardest times of our lives.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Maas is very knowledgeable in her field, but as always, it is good to have somewhat of a little bit of understanding of what you're walking into and have done some research on the subject as fertility treatments are very, very, in-depth.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Maas goes above and beyond to ensure that my husband and I thoroughly understand everything she is saying as the fertility treatment world is completely new to us. From our first appointment with Dr. Maas and her team, we have felt welcomed and informed of all that is going on. We are due to start IVF in the next few months and even now during COVID we are constantly in contact with their office for any question that comes up along the way.
Describe the protocols Kristi Maas used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
We are due to start IVF in June. We haven't started yet but Dr. Maas has gone over a rough protocol with us. Up to this point we were trying to be able to do medications or IUI but due to female and male factor infertility we are unable to.
The nursing staff is very kind. They go over all the next steps with us. We often have questions over the phone and they quickly return phone calls and make sure we are helped out.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinic has two locations which is helpful for us, one in North County/Carlsbad and one in San Diego. Everyone at FSMG is very kind and caring. Phone calls are returned quickly and it is pretty easy to make an appointment and not wait for 3 months to get in. Our only complaint so far would be pricing isn't laid out as easily accessible as it should be for those who may have to pay out of pocket. Otherwise, we love our experience (as much as we can) so far with everyone at FSMG.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
We have insurance that covers some fertility treatments. So far we have only paid $500-$1000 out of pocket with evaluation costs, labs, meds etc.
Describe Kristi Maas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
No comments yet.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr.Shelly is very thorough at the initial consultation and very honest about what to expect for your individual case as you go through the process. She answered every question I had and gave me information on other options...She has a strong stance on single embryo transfers. You would have to have rare circumstances for her to attempt multiples she feels it is a unnecessary high risk to transfer multiples.
We are a military family ,so her and the entire [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] staff helped us get all the special forms and legalities handled quickly before a unexpected deployment...It is a stand alone clinic with a lab and all testing done in house...The staff is always friendly and welcoming some of the best front desk agents I have come across and everyone even other nitdrs that are not my assigned nurse remembers your name
Dr.Shelly is very thorough at the initial consultation and very honest about what to expect for your individual case as you go through the process. She answered every question I had and gave me information on other options as I was thinking of also just trying to unblock my tubes and was not yet fully prepared mentally for IVF after an ectopic resulted in tube loss, I knew nothing about IVF, until 1 month prior to meeting Dr.Shelly and she really took all of that into account and was honest about the emotional aspects of this process as well, not just the physical and this helped me be better prepared overall when making my decisions.
I would highly recommend you just sit down with her and ask as many questions as you want I guarentee you will leave feeling comfortable with choosing her as your doctor.
I felt I was treated well by Dr.Shelly and all those I came in contact with in the facility,from nurses and lab staff, everyone is warm and welcoming and they remember your name.
I am still new to this journey and Covid-19 stalled my retrieval, but Dr Shelly had schedule very low doses of all thr medications for me and only prefers single embryo transfers for those under 40.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Suzy)
My nurse is well organized, she fors communicate all necessary information although she has a very heavy accent, which was a small barrier for my husband ,sometimes I had to re explain what was said to him on the way home. However I clearly understand her so it may depend on the person. She is very helpful always does what she says she is going to do, like send an email by a certain day or whatever request I have she is on top of it with a smile. We are a military family ,so her and the entire staff helped us get all the special forms and legalities handled quickly before a unexpected deployment due to Covid-19 right in the middle of our cycle. Suzy and the rest of the staff even the front desk agent really helped us navigate the changes in scheduling with ease.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
This clinic is amazing it fits my needs as far as location it is very centrally located in San Diego. It is a stand alone clinic with a lab and all testing done in house, going through fertility treatments is already so taxing I love that from the parking lot to the waiting room everyone I see is going through some form of the same thing.The office is not overly modern in decor or fancy which I like , other places I felt like I was walking into a luxury hotel and iron mans science lab to have my fertility looked after lol. I really like that it is simple not overly decorated it helps bring down the anxiety of being there, like going to a family doctors office where you are comfortable. The staff is always friendly and welcoming some of the best front desk agents I have come across and everyone even other nitdrs that are not my assigned nurse remembers your name, I have had them even notice hair cut changes, I know that is not fertility related, but it goes a long way to how personal and detail orientation everyone is, I highly recommend the clinic.
The cost was 17,5000 with an additional 5000 for genetic testing.
San Diego

Dr. Morales is kind, efficient, and knowledgeable. She spends so much time with you! When I needed appointments outside of normal hours, she didn't hesitate to schedule me at my convenience. She explains everything clearly and scientifically, and engaged with me when I had questions or wanted to discuss things I'd researched...Dr. Morales strongly prefers eSET.
it's a big enough clinic that there's [Fert Specs Med Group] always a nurse or doctor available and it's easy to make appointments - they give you a comprehensive binder and lots of information - their financial advisor is so so so helpful. Denise is super knowledgeable and worked tirelessly to figure out how to get us the best deal with a few insurance benefits. Weaknesses: I don't ever go in expecting to be seen AT my appointment time...they seem to usually be running behind. For morning blood tests, you can ask to be seen right away if you're in a rush, but you have to advocate for yourself.
Dr. Morales is kind, efficient, and knowledgeable. She spends so much time with you! When I needed appointments outside of normal hours, she didn't hesitate to schedule me at my convenience. She explains everything clearly and scientifically, and engaged with me when I had questions or wanted to discuss things I'd researched. She's amazing!
Choose her if you're looking for someone who's caring but also efficient/to-the-point/practical.
Everyone in this office is incredibly competent, attentive, and caring. I've never once felt rushed. Everyone knows my name and recognizes me. I feel truly cared for!
Egg retrieval hormones: Cetrotide Gonal-F Menopur I cancelled my first cycle due to eggs not maturing well, and the next cycle will have growth hormone added. Dr. Morales adjusted my dosage and saw me extra as we went through this process; it was my decision to cancel the cycle since we are paying mostly out of pocket.
So friendly, very good communicators/explainers. Efficient and competent.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strengths: - price for what you get (incredible) compared to other SD clinics - Dr. Morales (amazing) - it's a big enough clinic that there's always a nurse or doctor available and it's easy to make appointments - they give you a comprehensive binder and lots of information - their financial advisor is so so so helpful. Denise is super knowledgeable and worked tirelessly to figure out how to get us the best deal with a few insurance benefits. Weaknesses: I don't ever go in expecting to be seen AT my appointment time...they seem to usually be running behind. For morning blood tests, you can ask to be seen right away if you're in a rush, but you have to advocate for yourself.
$250 consultation $4400 clinic services, doctor, stimulation phase, ultrasounds, bloodwork $7100 egg retrieval with anaesthesia $4500 PGT for up to 10 embryos $1000 ERA $3300 FET (discounted to $2700 after a failed implantation) $65/month cryopreservation storage They make it very clear, and there's no nickel-and-diming. Medicine was $2000 for about half a cycle of stimulation (I cancelled this cycle). Used La Jolla Discount Pharmacy
Dr. Morales strongly prefers eSET.
San Diego

Dr. Morales is unlike any other fertility doctor I have encountered. I felt she really took the time to review my medical history and was the only one to truly educated me on my situation. She never treated me like a number. She was also the only doctor to ask me how I was doing mentally. This was very important to me because she knows how infertility can affect someone and she wants to make sure she provides the best treatment possible including providing options for emotional and mental health.
My experience has been with their [Fert Specs Med Group] Carlsbad location. Upon my first visit I was greeted warmly by Alina at the front desk. She was so friendly and warm. Expect to wait during each appointment. This is nothing new. I experience this at all fertility clinics. All of the nurses, financial coordinators, front desk staff are unbelievably great. They have always treated me kindly and as if they have known me for years. I see they treat every patient this way.
My only regret is that I did not find Dr. Morales sooner. She is the only provider to have studied my entire complicated and lengthy medical history. She educates you, is straight to the point and very thorough. She speaks fast, but always makes sure you understand and she is more than willing to go over information until you feel comfortable. She is blunt in her delivery, but she is kind hearted and compassionate. I feel she has genuinely taken an interest in mine and my husband's case and I am confident that we are in great hands. She is the only provider to ask how we were doing mentally and I could not appreciate that more.
She takes her time and is very thorough with her appointments. She provides a lot of information which can be overwhelming especially during the first consultation. Don't be afraid to ask questions if there is something that you don't understand or if you need the information to be repeated.
We are still in the early stages. After our first consultation Dr. Morales ordered an ovarian assessment report blood panel which would provide a clearer picture of my fertility and chances of a success. She also conducted two ultrasounds where she checked for cysts/fibroids, measured my lining and counted the number of follicles on each ovary. After her full workup she determined that the best course of action to take would be IVF. We will have our IVF inservice appointment in the near future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
Jessica my primary nurse is very kind and calming. She takes her time to go over the checklist provided by Dr. Morales. She also does a great job at answering all of your questions. Often you will think of more questions after your meeting with Dr. Morales and Jessica has always helped me with that.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
My experience has been with their Carlsbad location. Upon my first visit I was greeted warmly by Alina at the front desk. She was so friendly and warm. Expect to wait during each appointment. This is nothing new. I experience this at all fertility clinics. All of the nurses, financial coordinators, front desk staff are unbelievably great. They have always treated me kindly and as if they have known me for years. I see they treat every patient this way.
The initial consultation is complimentary. Dr. Morales suggested an ultrasound ($200) and AMH blood test ($75). I also purchased a global package for $475 which included 3 appointments with Dr. Morales, 2 blood draw fees, 1 semen analysis, 2 ultrasounds and a hysterocopy. All items in package must be done within 6 months of the purchase date. In addition, Dr. Morales suggested an Ovarian Assessment Report blood panel which cost $175.
For me, Dr. Morales recommended single embryo transfers. She said she would prefer to not put me at a higher risk pregnancy.
Carlsbad

Dr. Maas took the time to explain everything to us in as much detail as we asked for. She spent several hours of consultation with us during our treatments. She gave hugs when needed. She called me personally to let me know when cycles didn't work.... Dr. Maas is incredibly smart and an excellent communicator. She helped us feel empowered throughout the process while helping us keep realistic expectations. She uses evidence based practice every step of the way.
[Fertility Specialists Medical Group- San Diego] Strengths: multiple locations for monitoring and consults, several doctors, organized. Weaknesses: procedures only at the office farther away from me, and you have to pay for parking which just adds insult to injury after paying thousands of dollars for treatment.... My first IUI cycle was with clomid with an ovidrel trigger. Second was letrozole+gonal-f with ovidrel trigger. Third was gonal-f+cetrotide (antagonist protocol) with ovidrel trigger. My only ivf cycle was gonal-f+menopur and was planning on using micro hcg and cetrotide but it was cancelled due to poor response.
You are in excellent hands with her. Please note that she works between two offices so you may have to drive farther to see her on some days if you dont want to see a different doctor in the practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Erica)
All of the staff was fantastic!! They were warm, welcoming, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Insurance covered IUI procedures but not meds. IVF would have costed around $10 thousand. We put down a $6k deposit but got it back after our cycle was cancelled.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Some of my records were stolen in transit from one office to another when a vehicle was burglarized
San Diego

She [Dr. Shelly] is kind, smart, candid and clear when she is explaining procedures, answering questions, etc. I feel like she is genuinely invested in our desire to have a child and smart enough to help give of the best chance of success. ... My partner was diagnosed with poor morphology. ... Despite her being very busy she always took the time to answer our questions and she is very good at reading people.
The office [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is bare bones, not fancy or chic. That didn't bother me but some people might expect a fancy place when they are spending so much money. The staff was friendly and always very helpful. Although, sometimes I felt that they didn't remember me from visit to visit even though I was there a lot. ... There are a lot of different nurses, it feels like a large staff for 3 doctors but they are always busy. By the end I feel like most of the nurses knew us and we knew them.
Picking a doctor who you are going to be seeing a lot, spending a lot of money with and are entrusting your dream of having a baby is VERY nerve racking. However, from our first visit through to now we have felt very comfortable and confident with Dr. Shelly. She is kind, smart, candid and clear when she is explaining procedures, answering questions, etc. I feel like she is genuinely invested in our desire to have a child and smart enough to help give of the best chance of success. After our positive BETA from our FET Dr. Shelly called after the nurse to Congratulate us, that personal touch along with the kindness and care she showed along the way was very meaningful to us.
Ask a lot of questions so you also feel confident in her ability.
Dr. Shelly works a lot. I remember feeling like I was at the clinic a lot and she was also always there, (with the exception of 1 appointment) and I was in the middle of my cycle during the holiday season. Despite her being very busy she always took the time to answer our questions and she is very good at reading people. She would take the time we needed on days that we were feeling particularly fragile.
My partner was diagnosed with poor morphology. Sperm morphology can be a wild card, we opted to try 1 IUI because of the cost and non-invasive nature of it. I was on Femara and 3 follicles develop, sperm sample was good but IUI failed. We opted to go straight to IVF after the 1 failed IUI, for our sake while Dr. Shelly would have recommended up to 3 IUI. I was on Folistim and micro hCG for my egg retrieval. many follicles developed and we got 18 eggs at retrieval. Out of the 18 only 12 were mature, 11 fertilized and 7 made it to Day 5. We opted for PGS testing because of my advanced maternal age and our unexplained infertility diagnosis. We had only 2 normal embryos, 5 abnormal. We completed a "mock cycle" for ERA, which was included with PGS testing. I was receptive at day 5 of progesterone. So we moved forward with FET the following month. We feel very fortune to get a positive beta our first time. We will remain on Estrace and progesterone (shots in the booty) through pregnancy week 10. I don't have a history of miscarriage but don't mind the additional meds. as a precaution.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The office is bare bones, not fancy or chic. That didn't bother me but some people might expect a fancy place when they are spending so much money. The staff was friendly and always very helpful. Although, sometimes I felt that they didn't remember me from visit to visit even though I was there a lot.
Our Insurance covered 50% of diagnostic and we paid cash, out-of-pocket rate for all treatment.
Dr. Shelly let us know she preferred eSET but was willing to do 2 embryos, my partner is a twin and we were both okay with twins. However, due to only 2 PGS normal embryos we transferred only 1 embryo. Hoping to have a second child in a few years, using our other frozen embryo.

2019, Consult
She [Dr. Shelly] took the time to sit down with my husband and I to have real conversations about our chances of conceiving and never made us feel rushed. she is trying her best to give us our dream of 3 children...SHe is very knowledgable and I like that she isnt going to be conservative with my diminished ovarian reserve...she wants to use HGH right away with my first IVF cycle as i have an AMH of 0.27. ..
So far, they [nurses at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] have been very compassionate and good communicators...She likes to do eSET, but she agreed that if we have a successful first pregnancy without complications and a vaginal delivery, she will implant 2 embryos next time for the possibility of twins...I did have one issue with some miscommunication with the financial team...She [Dr. Shelly] took the time to sit down with my husband and I to have real conversations about our chances of conceiving and never made us fe
SHe is very knowledgable and I like that she isnt going to be conservative with my diminished ovarian reserve.... she is hitting my treatment hard and like she said, she is "bringing in the back up quarterback on a monday morning for next sundays game". I like that she wants to be aggressive so we can be successful for our first retrieval when we have 3 planned.
She took the time to sit down with my husband and I to have real conversations about our chances of conceiving and never made us feel rushed. she is trying her best to give us our dream of 3 children
she wants to use HGH right away with my first IVF cycle as i have an AMH of 0.27. She hasnt given us the full protocol yet, we get that tomorrow.
So far, they have been very compassionate and good communicators. i will learn more as i go through my cycles.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I did have one issue with some miscommunication with the financial team. Dr SHelly initially suggested zygote banking since i have to have 3 egg retrievals and was trying to save me some money, but when financial came in to go over the plan ,the never told me that I cannot zygote bank if I use my insurance (which doesnt cover very much at all anyways) and no one told me the plan was not to zygote bank, so this caused some confusion and another appt with dr shelly to clarify.
my individual egg retrievals with my contracted insurance is $5910. ICSI each cycle is $2750 i believe. Cryopreservation is $1000. PGS $4500 first time, then about $3250 each cycle after for the biopsy and shipping for PGS testing. FET around $3500. All together for 3 cycles of IVF and 1 FET will be about 35,000 not including meds.
She likes to do eSET, but she agreed that if we have a successful first pregnancy without complications and a vaginal delivery, she will implant 2 embryos next time for the possibility of twins. My husband has dreams about our children and often sees me pregnant with a transclusent belly where he sees 2 babies. She listened to this (even though it sounds insane) and agreed to attempt to give us our dream of 3 kids
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
i previously wrote about my confusion with zygote banking vs embryo blast ...that was my only issue
San Diego

She [Dr. Shelly] was very warm and inviting. Our first meetings with her were very brief, but we definitely felt like she knew what we were going through. I would Of liked her to spend more time with us, but we also came very prepared for our meetings...She was on vacation during the biggest part of my cycle, but before and after she was gone was amazing. She was very reassuring but also letting us know the risks involved. Before and after my egg retrieval I would of liked her to be more talkative. I was very nervous and would of liked that information. Also, I would Of liked to know she was going on vacation, but I loved the doctor I was with during that time.
The costs [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] were very manageable. They were upfront with the costs. The one great thing is they did not require me to get all the meds prescribed at once. They helped us save money by telling us how much we needed and how many days...Don’t expect a flashy clinic. It’s straight forward and really perfects their craft of making babies. If you are wanting the bells and whistles you will be disappointed, but if you want excellent care this is the place.
She is very efficient and quick. She was very honest and gave us the real answers. If I have to do IVF again i wouldn’t go to anyone else.
She was very warm and inviting. Our first meetings with her were very brief, but we definitely felt like she knew what we were going through. I would Of liked her to spend more time with us, but we also came very prepared for our meetings so everything was bried
Dr. Shelly used the best approach for my system. She knew I could potentially get OHSS and so they monitored me to make sure my levels were at a good spot and that I was healthy.
Their staff is amazing. During our IVF cycle we spilled some of the trigger shot medication. I called the nurse and they reassured me. I cried all night anyways. The next morning when I went to get my bloodwork done I explained to the nurses what happened. About 5 of them heard me and came in to give me hugs and reassured me. It made me feel 100% better.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The costs were very manageable. They were upfront with the costs. The one great thing is they did not require me to get all the meds prescribed at once. They helped us save money by telling us how much we needed and how many days.
She advised me to do a eSET based on my age and IVF cycle.
San Diego

Dr. Shelly is very warm and talked to us in terms that we would understand from beginning to end. We never felt rushed or like we HAD to do something. Every decision was for us to make.... Dr. Shelly is with you every step of the way. She gave us our consult, was available at any time of the day to take our questions and gave us a detailed roadmap as to what to expect during each cycle.... The treatment recommended was injections (max amount) for our IVF cycle. While they produced great numbers of eggs to retrieve, ultimately, none of the fertilized embryos made it to transfer.
Just remember, there is the clinical side and the financial side. Both personnel were great to talk to and work with at FSMG. They are all willing to work with you, based on your financial situation AND medical situation. All of the staff was friendly and really felt like they were there to help me and my husband.... The nurses were awesome! I could call at any time. I got the flu during my first IVF cycle and thought I had a fever due to the medications. They assured me everything was going to be fine and provided me guidance as to what fever medication I could take.
Ask as many questions as you can! She is there to tell you everything you need to know, whether it's repetitive or you feel dumb asking - she makes it easy to understand what can and might happen.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
This was the best and easiest part of visiting the clinic. I showed up, and within 10 mins I was greeted and taken back for bloodwork/ultrasounds. Never waited a long time, was always personally greeted. Each nurse knew what was going on with my appointment.
$17,000 roughly for everything. $11,000 for the medical procedures, $6,000 for meds & anesthesiology.
We never got this far in our cycle.
San Diego

I am lucky to have Dr. Maas has my fertility doctor. She has made this process a lot easier because this whole process is very emotional, physically demanding, and financially straining. Dr. Maas listened carefully to my wants and needs.... I was able to see her during almost every appointment which was great.... I saw Dr.Maas after 7 failed iui’s. I was 39 when starting the IVF process, so my age was the main factor. I did not have endometriosis, PCOS, and both my tubes were clear. All of my numbers were good as I was going through all the iui’s
The clinics [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] are clean and organized. Almost every person I came into contact with was very nice. My clinic has two offices which is a positive and a negative. The clinic closest to my house was great for some appointments and early morning blood tests before I had to go to work. One weakness is that the clinic closer to my house is not staffed all the time. So I had to drive almost an hour to the other office many times. They also do not have late appointments. Their last appointment is at 2:30pm. This was very challenging for my work schedule.
I am lucky to have Dr. Maas has my fertility doctor. She has made this process a lot easier because this whole process is very emotional, physically demanding, and financially straining. Dr. Maas listened carefully to my wants and needs. She asked about my prior fertility treatments and made a new plan for me. I was able to see her during almost every appointment which was great.
Trust the process. The doctors and nurses are rooting for you and want to see you get pregnant.
She had a open and honest conversation with me. She explained all the necessary items pertaining to IVF. She was gentle but also blunt when needed.
I saw Dr.Maas after 7 failed iui’s. I was 39 when starting the IVF process, so my age was the main factor. I did not have endometriosis, PCOS, and both my tubes were clear. All of my numbers were good as I was going through all the iui’s, but I did have a fibroid but it was in a good area (if there is such a place). I thought I didn’t have anything that could prevent me from getting pregnant, so my previous doctor was shocked at all my negative iui’s and told me I had unexplained infertility. After that I went to Dr. Maas because I knew IVF was the next step for me. For my medications leading up to my egg retrieval, I was on 150 Menopur a night and 300 mg of Gonal-f. I did these shots for 11 nights. I also did Centroid for 5 or 6 days. My egg retrieval was fairly easy. Overall, only the cost of the IVF cycle was hard. Medications weren’t that bad, some bruising on my stomach and I didn’t really have any reactions to them. I planned on doing a frozen embryo and genetic testing because I needed to get my thyroid down first. (Didn’t have a thyroid problem when starting the iui’s but my thyroid number increased sometime during those iui’s.)
Every nurse that I came into contact with was great! They really cared about me and wanted me to get pregnant.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinics are clean and organized. Almost every person I came into contact with was very nice. My clinic has two offices which is a positive and a negative. The clinic closest to my house was great for some appointments and early morning blood tests before I had to go to work. One weakness is that the clinic closer to my house is not staffed all the time. So I had to drive almost an hour to the other office many times. They also do not have late appointments. Their last appointment is at 2:30pm. This was very challenging for my work schedule.
The large amount for IVF was $11,200. Anesthesia was $500. Genetic testing was $4,500. Medication was $3000 -3500 (but I had some from prior treatments so it would have been another $1,000 embryo transfer is $3,500
I had 6 embryos make it to Day 5 and ready for genetic testing and to freeze. Unfortunately I only had 1 embryo come back as inconclusive, so we tested that embryo again and it came back normal! So for my embryo transfer I only had one little fighter go in.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
My file got put away when it was supposed to go down to the other clinic for genetic testing. My prescription did not get called into the pharmacy.

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr. Shelly is kind, compassionate and really takes the time to get to know your needs as a patient....Dr. Shelly was a great asset to me and my husband as we ventured into the ART route to baby. Though we have yet to have a successful ending, she's a very big supporter of making sure your needs are met throughout the process...I have never met a doctor with as kind of a bedside manner as Dr. Shelly....Make sure you ask her about the possibilities of one versus two embryo and really advocate for what your gut tells you.
I think this clinic [Fertility Specialists] is my favorite of the two I've been at in SD...Overall they were your average nursing staff. I had two situations while Dr. Shelly was out on vacation that the nursing staff didn't have the right info down and sent me mid medication cycle to two different facilities to get labs drawn. Suffice it to say I was not a happy camper on the meds! But, overall they were there to answer questions in a timely fashion when items came up.
Since my situation medically is a bit different, we used gonal F as the first stage of all treatments. We didn't have to stop ovulation or use the pill since I don't ovulate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I think this clinic is my favorite of the two I've been at in SD. I have never met a doctor with as kind of a bedside manner as Dr. Shelly.
We had to pay all out of pocket and still do!
I wish I would have done the double embryo transfer, however now I know for the future.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Only one small issue. I had an MRI done at another facility that I know I had filled out all the paperwork to get the results from, even to the point the doctor had gone and told me there was nothing of concern from them in her HO. However, when I requested and paid for the results of all my treatment that file was missing and I had to reorder from the first facility.

2013 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Shelly shared her own struggles with infertility which made her so much more relatable than other practitioners might be. She explained our options, laid them out objectively and gave us just enough (but not too much :) information to make our own decision about the course of action we would take.... She took the time to really learn about my obstetric history IN ADDITION to our family goals. She didn't judge our desires to have a large family and she presented all information factually and without bias.
Martha Naryanan has been our med nurse [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] for 3 rounds. She is incredibly experienced, knowledgeable about the meds and protocol and seemed to be an "extension" of our physician, which is very important as the MD isn't always available but I was confident that her nurse was relaying the proper info on her behalf.... Strengths: centrally located, large practice, runs efficiently, good communications, protocols are clear (noted that paperwork got WAY better from 1 to 2 to 3rd round, much more clarify in subsequent paperwork) Weaknesses: seems to be a lot of turnover for support staff.
Watch out for quadruplets...JK...I would tell prospective patients that visiting Dr. Shelly is the opposite of daunting. She is personable, relatable, puts complicated medical terminology into plain English and provides her own interpretation of data and research when appropriate and necessary. It's ok to ask her, "If you were me...what would you do" and she always answers objectively and without bias.
I felt like a human because she took the time to really learn about my obstetric history IN ADDITION to our family goals. She didn't judge our desires to have a large family and she presented all information factually and without bias.
Not really recalling the specifics but I did like that between rounds 2 and 3 she sat down with us, explained WHY she was tweaking the protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Martha Narayanan)
Martha Naryanan has been our med nurse for 3 rounds. She is incredibly experienced, knowledgeable about the meds and protocol and seemed to be an "extension" of our physician, which is very important as the MD isn't always available but I was confident that her nurse was relaying the proper info on her behalf.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
IVF round 1 that resulted in singleton pregnancy, $10,000 IVF round 2 that resulted in 4 embryos that were frozen $5,000 Currently in progress to transfer frozen embryos and that will cost $3,000
I believe since I was 35+ there was no option for single embryo transfer. She asked if we were open to multiples, which we were, so we always had decided to proceed with 2+ embryos at transfer.
San Diego

Dr. Morales made this experience so great for us! I had all the confidence in the world with her and the team. She reassured me on occasions when I was worried, joked with me to lighten the mood and was our biggest cheerleader. She guided us through the process but never pressured us to do any test or procedure etc we did not feel comfortable with. She showed genuine care and compassion to my husband and I and I will be forever grateful for her.
The ivf coordinator Martha [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group]was amazing. She is the first nurse we met and went through lots of the logistics of ivf with. She herself has been through the process so it was very comforting to hear her story. She was so thorough in explaining doses, how to give yourself a shot and what to expect. All of the nurses I came across throughout the process were great and very helpful and caring.
Trust the process. Dr.Morales knows her stuff and is always working with your best interest at heart.
Everyone from the front desk to the ma's to nurses and especially Dr. Morales made us feel so special and loved. We developed a close relationship with a lot of the staff at FSMG!
I was on injectable hormones to stimulate follicles for egg retrieval. Based on tests Morales had me relatively high on dose which we ended up increasing even more over the course of two weeks as my follicles were "sleepy" after egg retrieval we did a FET due to my progesterone being a little too elevated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Martha)
The ivf coordinator Martha was amazing. She is the first nurse we met and went through lots of the logistics of ivf with. She herself has been through the process so it was very comforting to hear her story. She was so thorough in explaining doses, how to give yourself a shot and what to expect. All of the nurses I came across throughout the process were great and very helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Very comfortable office. By the time you are released from their care it feels like home!
About 13 grand
For our purposes and only having 4 embroyos we decided one at a time was best for us.

2013 - 2017, Successful
She was very personable and easy to like. She made me and my husband feel very comfortable and hopeful. She was always upbeat and positive about the outcomes even though we didn't always get the outcome we wanted. With that said, there were some appointments that I felt like maybe she was too busy. I would only see her a couple of minutes and it made me uneasy in that I wondered if she was paying enough attention to my chart and my situation. When you spend tens of thousands of dollars of your hard earned money in a dr. office, you expect to have the best care. I chalked it up to that she probably just had a lot going on those days and I tried not to take it personally. Overall, I will continue to go see her. Her positive traits far outweigh any negative!
My monitoring appointments usually took place first thing in the morning. I typically was in and out of the office within 30 minutes. Very convenient and very organized!.... For our IVF the baseline was $10,500. That included all of our office visits, monitoring, egg retrieval surgery, egg fertilization and a fresh transfer (if applicable). We spent between $3500-$5000 on all of my medication. We also paid $600/ year for our embryo storage fee. For the transfers we paid $3300 each time and between $300-$500 for medication.
Well a piece of advice I would give to someone going to see any fertility dr. including Dr. Shelly is to be prepared for any and all outcomes. For some people, there's no "cure" for their infertility and just when you think you've got it figured out another negative pregnancy test hits you right between the eyes. And to that I'd like to add to never give up hope! You never know what the Lord has in store!
Most of my visits I felt like a human, however, I had a few where I felt like a number. Usually on those visits the office was extremely busy and I'd only get to spend a few minutes with Dr. Shelly. It was during those instances that I felt like a number; not a priority.
For our 3 IUI cycles she had me taking Clomid and a trigger shot (can't remember how far in advance) to make sure I ovulated at the right time. For our IVF cycle, I started on Feb 24th, 2015. I took birth control pills for 10 days. On Mar 7, 2015 I started the Gonal-F injections and the Micro hCG injections. I was going in for blood work and ultrasounds every other day for a week to check my hormone levels and egg production. The following week I continued Gonal-F, Micro hCG and began Cetrotide injections to prevent premature ovulation. My egg retrieval was done Mar 18th, 2015. 17 eggs were retrieved, 11 fertilized and 5 were viable. I wasn't eligible for a fresh transfer because my estrogen levels were too high. We waited until the following month and then I started the progesterone IM shots, Estrace and the low-dose aspirin to help increase blood flow to my uterus. We had our frozen transfer on April 10th, 2015 where we transferred 2 embryos of the 5 we had. We found out we were pregnant on April 21st and I delivered our beautiful baby girl on Dec 30th, 2015. In Nov. 2016 we decided we were ready for transfer #2. Dr. Shelly performed a water test in my uterus to make sure there wasn't any scar tissue or anything leftover from my pregnancy that would hinder another pregnancy. We decided to only transfer 1 embryo and the same protocol was set in place as the first transfer. We were not successful with the 2nd transfer and we decided to try a third time in Feb 2017. We transferred our last two embryos and the same protocol was used for that transfer as well. Unfortunately, neither embryo took and we are back to square one.
All of the nursing staff were very nice! A lot of them remembered us even after we hadn't been there in a year. They were helpful anytime I had questions and returned my phone calls within a few hours. There was an occasion where they called in the right prescription but the wrong quantity. Luckily I didn't need it right away and the pharmacy was able to mail it to me within a couple of days. Another instance they hadn't updated our chart and Dr. Shelly came in to discuss our options for additional treatment with the wrong information. She came in thinking we had 2 embryos left when in reality we were already done.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The office staff is friendly and greets you the moment you walk in. The office is clean and they offer complimentary water and coffee in the waiting room. The financial dept is very organized and you don't have to worry about "hidden" fees every time you walk in for an appt. They're very good at explaining upfront your financial obligations. The nursing staff and Dr. Shelly are good at keeping appointment times. I'd say 90% of my appointments I was seen within 10-15 minutes.
Whenever we wanted to do a transfer, Dr. Shelly always recommended an eSET. She explained the risks with multiples but she ultimately let us decide what was best for us. She did say she would not transfer more than 2 at one time.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
The nursing staff had forgotten to call in my prescriptions before starting a frozen transfer cycle. On the day of my appt. they asked if I had received them and when I told them no they called the pharmacy on the spot and placed the order. Luckily, I didn't need them for a couple of days and I was able to drive to the pharmacy and pick them up the same day.
San Diego

Dr. Shelly exceeded my expectations as a doctor. She is charismatic, knowledgeable, and kind. I trusted her and felt like she had my best interest in mind at all times. She was encouraging and helped us figure out the best course of treatment for us. The only thing I regret is doing the first cycle naturally (without clomid). I wish that she would have recommended Clomid on the first try. However, I understand that I was a healthy 29-year-old and wanted to see if we could do it naturally.
The clinic [Fert Specs Med Group] overall was slightly dated. It was clean, but I had old equipment. The clinics team - doctors and nurses were the best part. They also had a great financial administrator who helped us work with our insurance and figure out the best option for our budget. They responded quickly and always answered the phone when I called...The nursing staff was kind, understanding, and helpful.
Be honest with her because she will respect your opinions and input.
Everyone at the clinic knew our names and was very helpful and empathetic
What I got my period I would go into the clinic and they would look at my follicles. Then the following week I would go back and they would check again to make sure everything was progressing as it should. They would measure the follicles and see how many there were. Then I would go back at my peak ovulation and get inseminated. I used Clomid in five out of the six tries and it took on the sixth time.
The nursing staff was kind, understanding, and helpful. They always took extra time to make a personal connection.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinic overall was slightly dated. It was clean, but I had old equipment. The clinics team - doctors and nurses were the best part. They also had a great financial administrator who helped us work with our insurance and figure out the best option for our budget. They responded quickly and always answered the phone when I called.
Each cycle cost around $1000, but I don’t recall exactly the price. They have a financial advisor who was very helpful
I have no concerns.
San Diego

We struggled with our primary care physician for years trying to get to the bottom of our repeated miscarriages and inability to conceive, and only when we saw Dr. Shelley did we feel we were truly understood and being cared for...extremely warm and caring. The entire process was about our needs. We never felt like a number or that we were trying to be "sold."...She has a true gift of taking what could be a very clinical and nerve-wracking experience and making it warm and nurturing. She truly loves babies and helping couples who are having difficulties conceiving. We have stopped by her office several times since our treatment to show her the "baby bump", and even brought my son to meet her after he was born.
Maria [nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] was a joy to work with throughout the process. She was extremely friendly and compassionate. She went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable...They presented us with all fertility options along with the respective costs and didn't pressure us to make a decision that was in their financial best interest...They are extremely well organized and efficient. We spent very little time waiting to be seen, but when we were waiting it was assuring to see many pregnant patients coming and going, and new mothers bringing in their bundles of joy to meet the Doctors. Something to note; parking in their parking lot does cost, so appointments longer than about 15 minutes will result in a couple dollar charge.
Dr. Shelley truly cared about helping my wife and I achieve our dream of starting a family. She has a true gift of taking what could be a very clinical and nerve-wracking experience and making it warm and nurturing. She truly loves babies and helping couples who are having difficulties conceiving. We have stopped by her office several times since our treatment to show her the "baby bump", and even brought my son to meet her after he was born.
Go see her immediately! We struggled with our primary care physician for years trying to get to the bottom of our repeated miscarriages and inability to conceive, and only when we saw Dr. Shelley did we feel we were truly understood and being cared for.
Dr. Shelley and her staff were extremely warm and caring. The entire process was about our needs. We never felt like a number or that we were trying to be "sold."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria was a joy to work with throughout the process. She was extremely friendly and compassionate. She went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. Above all, she was extremely helpful by providing our gender results to a friend at our request so we could have a surprise gender reveal. She added a personalized note congratulating us and reassuring us what great parents we going to be. She has a huge heart!
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
This clinic is extremely clean and professional. They are extremely well organized and efficient. We spent very little time waiting to be seen, but when we were waiting it was assuring to see many pregnant patients coming and going, and new mothers bringing in their bundles of joy to meet the Doctors. Something to note; parking in their parking lot does cost, so appointments longer than about 15 minutes will result in a couple dollar charge.
Costs were reasonable. We had similar procedures, such as genetic testing, done with our subsequent pregnancy that were much more expensive. They presented us with all fertility options along with the respective costs and didn't pressure us to make a decision that was in their financial best interest.
San Diego
Although it is clear Dr. Morales has many patients (the clinic was typically pretty busy when we were there), I saw her every single visit... for every ultrasound, every procedure, every consult, and never felt rushed or brushed aside...I felt that Dr. Morales took the time to make sure I understood all of the treatments and reasons behind each treatment decision. The entire staff was always warm, remembered my name (and my husband's name) and truly become good friends.
The nursing staff [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] was great! They answered all of our questions, even calls and emails quickly (emails we especially valued). They are also wonderful patient advocates - always looking for the best value on medications, making sure if anything could be covered by insurance that it was, etc.
Dr. Morales was always very honest about my diagnosis and treatment options- something I valued. In a process that can be very frustrating and leave you feeling out of control, it is nice to have a clear plan of action! Although it is clear Dr. Morales has many patients (the clinic was typically pretty busy when we were there), I saw her every single visit... for every ultrasound, every procedure, every consult, and never felt rushed or brushed aside.
It is scary.... but go to that first consult, listen to what the doctors have to say, and ask lots of questions! We cancelled our initial consult a couple of times because we were so nervous to hear bad news. But the more we learned- the better we felt!
The nursing staff was great! They answered all of our questions, even calls and emails quickly (emails we especially valued). They are also wonderful patient advocates - always looking for the best value on medications, making sure if anything could be covered by insurance that it was, etc.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Although a bit tricky to find the first time, the clinic is great. Very nice, clean, and inviting. The front desk staff (who will remember your name after your first visit - it's amazing!) always has a smile on their face and is ready to greet you. Great coffee in the waiting room too!
I was pleasantly surprised to see the doctor (not a nurse or medical assistant) for every monitoring appointment. It was also nice they started them so early in the morning (7:00 AM)

2012 - 2015, Successful
We have the utmost confidence in Dr. Shelly's. She has a great way of delivering information, good or bad, and adapting to treatment changes. Dr. Shelly has a wonderful, friendly personality, and we found her to be very knowledgable, professional and efficient...First IVF round using Bravelle, Menopur, Ganirellix produced 1 genetically complete embryo. Dr. Shelly didn't' anticipate such poor egg quality, which is generally difficult to improve. I asked about vitamin supplements, etc. and she gave me a regiment I could try, but success in improving egg quality is largely anecdotal. Regimen included fish oil, ubiquinol, DHEA, CoQ10. Second IVF round produced 2 day-5 embryos (no PGS this time). Three total were transferred, one took, resulting in one live birth via surrogate. Third IVF round utilized the same medication and supplement course, producing 3 embryos and live twin pregnancy via surrogate.
IVF round $12,500. Meds $3,500. Frozen transfer $3300, Surrogate cycle management $4000...Dr. Shelly's nursing staff are incredibly efficient, professional, knowledgable and friendly...First IVF round using Bravelle, Menopur, Ganirellix produced 1 genetically complete embryo. Dr. Shelly didn't' anticipate such poor egg quality, which is generally difficult to improve. I asked about vitamin supplements, etc. and she gave me a regiment I could try, but success in improving egg quality is largely anecdotal. Regimen included fish oil, ubiquinol, DHEA, CoQ10. Second IVF round produced 2 day-5 embryos (no PGS this time). Three total were transferred, one took, resulting in one live birth via surrogate. Third IVF round utilized the same medication and supplement course, producing 3 embryos and live twin pregnancy via surrogate.
Just go to Dr. Shelly. You won't want to go anywhere else.
Dr. Shelly is very down-to-earth, has a wonderful personality, treats you like a friend, and instills confidence.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Dr. Shelly's clinic is very efficient and well-run. Their fees are competitive, the staff is amazing, and they are always reachable and respond promptly.
Dr. Shelly counseled thoroughly on the number of embryos transferred. We were using a surrogate who was open to multiples and hoped for twins so as to maximize our investment with our surrogate. Dr. Shelly understood our situation and supported our decision to transfer 3 embryos each time, knowing with my demonstrated poor egg quality, it was very unlikely all three would take.
San Diego
Dr. Shelly was amazing to work with. She was readily available to answe any and all questions. She truly listened to me and what I wanted and always took the time to explain every process.... Dr. Shelly explained every step of the process and was patient with all my lists of questions and concerns. Every step of the process Dr. Shelly was a part of which I really loved.... She always told me there was no question too small or stupid in the process on building a family.
The billing department [Fertility Specialists Med Group] was awesome to work with and even got us money back from our insurance. The staff was all knowledgeable and did everything quickly and efficiently as possible. I never waited long or had a negative experience with any staff member or doctor.... Lots of the nurses on staff were also IVF patients and having someone to talk to that had been through the experience was so helpful.
Dr. Shelly and her team were like a second family going though IVF. They personally invested in me and my journey. They were friendly and welcoming from day 1. Lots of staff have personally gone though the IVF process so they were very empathetic and knew first hand what I was going though. Dr. Shelly explained every step of the process and was patient with all my lists of questions and concerns. Every step of the process Dr. Shelly was a part of which I really loved. Her staff got to know me personally and were always proactive in all areas of treatment.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Shelly is very patient and understanding that everyone has different starting points and knowledge and answers all questions. She always told me there was no question too small or stupid in the process on building a family.
Very friendly. Lots of the nurses on staff were also IVF patients and having someone to talk to that had been through the experience was so helpful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The billing department was awesome to work with and even got us money back from our insurance. The staff was all knowledgeable and did everything quickly and efficiently as possible. I never waited long or had a negative experience with any staff member or doctor.
IUI With Other Docs
Dr Shelley gave us a lot of time during our initial consultation and following phone call with follow up questions....She was extremely patient and kind. She was very elaborate and gave me many choices to consider in my treatment. She was gentle and I really appreciated how she included my husband in all of the conversations and helped him to understand our situation and potential treatment options.
The front desk [Fertility Specialists Med Group] was the most helpful, communicative, patient, and kind. The billing and finance team was frustrating and did not communicate well with me or my insurance company. The in house phlebotomists were very gentle and knowledgeable as well....Dr Shelley gave us a lot of time during our initial consultation and following phone call with follow up questions....My insurance covered most of it because it was all consultational and I was pregnant at the time so the care I recessives fell under OB/GYN billing luckily.
Have all of your paperwork ready for her to review so she can see the big picture of he situation all at once.
We only needed to do a consultation because it ended up that I was pregnant and don’t know it! She did prescribe Lovenox shots for me after I asked because I was tested for APS and sheor that I would benefit from blood thinners. She thought I had Adenomyosis based on ultrasounds she saw and wanted to do a MRI so we could be certain but this was not needed.
Very sweet and patient
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The front desk was the most helpful, communicative, patient, and kind. The billing and finance team was frustrating and did not communicate well with me or my insurance company. The in house phlebotomists were very gentle and knowledgeable as well.

2019 - 2021, Successful
It is a long process, but Dr. Morales is very knowledgeable in all aspects of fertility treatment...Loved Dr. Morales but it was sometimes hard for my husband to understand all the medical terminology. I’m a nurse and he didn’t always understand it all. She would break it down for him whenever he asked or needed something repeated.
It [Fertility Specialists Medical Group] is a very busy office, so sometimes there’s a longer wait than expected. There were times where you would show up for your appointment and you’d get right in, but other times where it could take 30 minutes before being seen...Nursing staff was always kind and compassionate...Dr. Morales is very knowledgeable in all aspects of fertility treatment.
She got to know me and was so happy when we finally got pregnant.
We did a cycle using progesterone shots and estrogen pills as well as a cycle using Letrozole when I produced my own estrogen to thicken my lining. The estrogen pills weren’t thickening my lining as much as when I produced my own estrogen.
Nursing staff was always kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
It is a very busy office, so sometimes there’s a longer wait than expected. There were times where you would show up for your appointment and you’d get right in, but other times where it could take 30 minutes before being seen.
My insurance covered part of it, but still was needed to pay for all my meds and most of the procedures.
San Diego

She [Dr. Shelly] was the first doctor that actually took the time to get to know me and show me compassion. She seemed to want me to be pregnant just as much as I did and I love having her as my doctor. She honestly feels like a best friend.... She genuinely cares about how you're handling everything and what your family goals are.... We jumped straight into IUI as my husband and I had been trying for 5 years unsuccessfully. She scheduled and SHG and HSG which we discovered and immeasurable amount of polyps that I had removed and started IUI after.
I honestly loved this clinic, they [Fertility Specialists Med Group] treat you like a real human and they root for you and wish for you. I have never felt more comfortable at a doctor's office than I do there. Dr.Shelly is by far my favorite doctor there and I highly recommend requesting her!!... She was the first doctor that actually took the time to get to know me and show me compassion. She seemed to want me to be pregnant just as much as I did
She was the first doctor that actually took the time to get to know me and show me compassion. She seemed to want me to be pregnant just as much as I did and I love having her as my doctor. She honestly feels like a best friend.
You're in the best possible hands!
We jumped straight into IUI as my husband and I had been trying for 5 years unsuccessfully. She scheduled and SHG and HSG which we discovered and immeasurable amount of polyps that I had removed and started IUI after. Due to my weight at the time, I had negative results and my body stopped responding to the femara, but I look forward to trying again soon!!
They route for you and are always available for the millions of questions you might have!
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I honestly loved this clinic, they treat you like a real human and they root for you and wish for you. I have never felt more comfortable at a doctor's office than I do there. Dr.Shelly is by far my favorite doctor there and I highly recommend requesting her!!
2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Arlene Morales] really took the time to cover everything with you, really listened when she asked about how you responded to medications. She really wants to get to help you expand your family. She will also tell you exactly what will happen (if you do IUI/ IVF treatments and what to expect after them.... She took the time to get to know us, answered any and all of our concerns, and would explain everything in details. Plus she has a great sense of humor!
All of the nurses [at Fertility Specialists Medical Group] are fantastic. They cheer with you when you succeed (if you lost some weight); helped you when the tests were negative. Very caring.... Make sure to bring your new patient forms filled out before hand-they are very long and it's easier to have them completed beforehand.... They always made you aware of the costs upfront.... She will tell you the truth.
She really took the time to cover everything with you, really listened when she asked about how you responded to medications. She really wants to get to help you expand your family. She will also tell you exactly what will happen (if you do IUI/ IVF treatments and what to expect after them.
She will tell you the truth. She wants to help you achieve your dreams.
She recommend IVF to begin with (due to the length of time we've been trying); we wanted to start with IuIs first. She did as we asked, and would look at one cycle vs the next to see how the numbers would change (follicle size/ how many developed and on which side). She also asked about side affects from the medications clomid vs. letrezule.
All of the nurses are fantastic. They cheer with you when you succeed (if you lost some weight); helped you when the tests were negative. Very caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Insurance did not pay for any treatment. They always made you aware of the costs upfront.