Fertility & Surgical Associates of California

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
5400 Balboa Blvd
310-453-8500
325 Rolling Oaks Dr
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361
805-778-1122
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility & Surgical Associates of California to a friend?
1 IVF, Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Cash discount is $9500 for retrieval, storage - 1 year, and 1 transfer [at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California]. Does not cover nurse anesthetist $400, medication $4000+, or PGS/PGD through external company. Any procedures that could be billed to insurance were. Cost does not include co-payments from insurance...Clinic strongly recommends only one embryo transfer at a time.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Do a lot of your own research on the overall costs. Some costs are upfront and others come down the line. It is hard to see the big picture in the beginning. Do as much research on your own as possible about all infertility treatments. If something doesn't seem correct, ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Dr. Buyalos always took the time to listen to our concerns. He would greet us in the hall by name before we were even in a room. Only two of my visits were with other highly qualified partners.
Most of the nurses we worked with were great. Every so often there would be a nurse or two that seemed to fail in communicating things properly, or showed little compassion.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
How was your experience with Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Dr. Buyalos had experience with other couples seeking IVF with PGD/PGS to prevent the passing of genetic mutations. He was very familiar with the process. He was concerned about low ovarian reserve and the number of cycles that would be needed to find a genetically normal embryo to transfer. We got two healthy embryos from our first cycle. Only set back that occurred was that he thought I had a uterine polyp that he tried to surgically remove, but could not be found at procedure. Was believed to be an artifact seen on ultrasound at egg retrieval.
Describe the protocols Rick Buyalos used in your cycles at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California and their degree of success.
We did stimulated egg retrieval, ICSI, PGS/PGD, and hormone supported FET. Before retrieval we had sperm analysis. During retrieval, saline ultrasound was performed, and before FET, endometrial biopsy was conducted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Cash discount is $9500 for retrieval, storage - 1 year, and 1 transfer. Does not cover nurse anesthetist $400, medication $4000+, or PGS/PGD through external company. Any procedures that could be billed to insurance were. Cost does not include co-payments from insurance.
Describe Rick Buyalos's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Clinic strongly recommends only one embryo transfer at a time.
Santa Monica
I would have loved to work with just one nurse, but unfortunately that’s not how it works there [Fertility & Surgical Assoc of CA]. Everyone from the office staff to the nurses have been very friendly and helpful. There was a nurse that I was communicating with through email, but sometimes it would take a day or so to get a response so I’ve learned if it’s something urgent to call the office. They take a message and send it to the nurse and they call you back within the same day. There are 3 different offices, so depending on where your doctor is on that day you might be going to different clinics
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
I would have loved to work with just one nurse, but unfortunately that’s not how it works there. Everyone from the office staff to the nurses have been very friendly and helpful. There was a nurse that I was communicating with through email, but sometimes it would take a day or so to get a response so I’ve learned if it’s something urgent to call the office. They take a message and send it to the nurse and they call you back within the same day. There are 3 different offices, so depending on where your doctor is on that day you might be going to different clinics but I’ve had pleasant experiences at all 3.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mousa Shamonki at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Dr. Shamonki has always been very understanding and optimistic. He always remembers my husband and I as soon as he sees us. We travel about 2.5 hours to see him, and he’s always considerate of that.
You unfortunately don’t work with just one nurse. I’ve never actually had the same nurse twice so far. They’ve all been very pleasant. There’s been a couple of times where my prescription never made it to my pharmacy but I think that was more on the pharmacy’s end. I’ve had a couple of nurses who have gone above and beyond in regards to medication and just helpful advice. One nurse I’ve gotten and she somewhat seemed unsure of how to order/do things but it ended up working out.
How was your experience with Mousa Shamonki at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Dr. Shamonki has such a calm demeanor. It can’t help but make you feel somewhat the same way which is hard as a patient dealing with infertility. Every visit he’s always been so considerate and understanding of our situation. He’s also been very thorough in explaining what our next steps will be. He’s always willing to answer any questions. He gave me his cell number, and there were times I had questions so I would text him. He would answer right away!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mousa Shamonki at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Always write down your questions beforehand. It can somewhat be overwhelming when you’re actually there for your appointment.
Describe the protocols Mousa Shamonki used in your cycles at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California and their degree of success.
We had our first initial IUI with Dr. Shamonki. My protocol was Clomid day 3-7. When checking my follicle size on Day 10, doctor noticed my lining was thin so he put me on estrogen for 7 days. I triggered on the evening of Day 10 and had the actual procedure 2 days later. I then was on progesterone suppositories 2 days after up until I took a pregnancy test 14 days after the IUI. Unfortunately it was negative. We’re currently undergoing our 2nd IUI. This time I’m on Letrozole days 5-9. I’ll go back to check follicle size in a few days and hopefully all goes well!!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mousa Shamonki at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
My first IUI cost about $850 with medications. My second IUI got canceled due to cysts but I went in for an ultrasound and doctor visit so that alone cost $250. I had to go in for another ultrasound to check on things so that was another $250. We just began my 2nd attempt for an IUI and I’ve paid $250 up until this point for the baseline ultrasound and office visit.
Santa Monica
They [Fertility & Surg Assoc of CA] see a lot of patients and there is sometimes a long wait. Be patient. They often double and triple book appointments. They might even do more than that. But they are open 7 days a week so that you are there on the best day for your cycle.... The first round of IUI cost approximately $3,000. The second was around $1,000-$1,500.... Don’t trust them [nursing staff] if you are needing important information. I had asked about whether I would need to come in on a certain day based on my cycle
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
They see a lot of patients and there is sometimes a long wait. Be patient. They often double and triple book appointments. They might even do more than that. But they are open 7 days a week so that you are there on the best day for your cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gary Hubert at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
He was very cordial and has great bedside manner. The clinic sees so many people that there is often a very long wait to be seen.
Don’t trust them if you are needing important information. I had asked about whether I would need to come in on a certain day based on my cycle because I was going to need to reorganize my work schedule. The nurse told me that I would not need to, but when I met with the doctor he said that I did need to. He was very accommodating with my schedule and saw me before they opened so that I would not have to miss work.
How was your experience with Gary Hubert at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
He is wonderful and very likable. He has great bedside manner and takes his time to explain everything. He put me at ease. Not scoring a 10 because I have not gotten pregnant yet. I have gone through 2 rounds of IUI with no positive test. All of the tests have come back negative for problems for me and my husband. We have not had any miscarriages which is positive. Doctor Hubert said that there is a 20% chance each month for IUI to work. I’m not sure we can afford to do it any longer. We took last month off due to being out of town when I would have needed the treatment. Now we have to decide if we are going to continue doing it. I’ve had friends who have been successful with it after several months, but it gets discouraging. It cost about $3,000 the first month and about $1,250 for the second month. The cost adds up quickly and makes it tough when you don’t know if it will ever work.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gary Hubert at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Know the costs up front and be prepared for several rounds.
Describe the protocols Gary Hubert used in your cycles at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California and their degree of success.
Several days of clomid and then a couple days of Menipur injections. He would do an ultrasound and then schedule when I would need to do the trigger shot. And then the insemination was scheduled. They are open every day so that they can make sure to have you in on the right day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gary Hubert at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Santa Monica
There are 3 primary partners. They are all available for appointments if your doctor is not. They work together on cases so you get a very thorough treatment. I have seen all 3 and each one is compassionate and respectful. This practice [Fertility & Surgical Associates of California] is very busy and sometimes the wait time is challenging for my schedule. It also feels rushed and then like you sit for awhile.... An iui costs approximately $1500-$2000
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
There are 3 primary partners. They are all available for appointments if your doctor is not. They work together on cases so you get a very thorough treatment. I have seen all 3 and each one is compassionate and respectful. This practice is very busy and sometimes the wait time is challenging for my schedule. It also feels rushed and then like you sit for awhile.
Gary has taken time to get to know us and he is available to answer questions via cell phone as needed. When we had a miscarriage, he was very gentle, compassionate, and reassuring.
The nursing staff are available and help explain any extra information I had. Michelle G in particular is very compassionate and people focused.
Dr. Hubert is very knowledgeable in his field. He is well studied and can provide insight based on his years of experience. At times he could slow down to help me understand as the current patient. But when I ask he is always willing to provide more detail. He focuses purely on medicine and i think it would be helpful to have a more holistic approach that includes diet, supplements, etc.
Definitely trust his process. Be prepared for a lot of appointments
Ovulation induction with timed intercourse to ensure my body is properly working. D&C for miscarriage. He provided many options for recovery and We chose that option. Endometriosis laparoscopy for a 3inch cyst. Moving on to ovulation induction with iui due to 3 failed cycles.
An iui costs approximately $1500-$2000 with all medication. No insurance coverage
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The best thing about FSAC is that they have numerous offices and all the doctors see patients at each office. I could always get an appointment at a convenient time, place, and with my specific ER. And while that might sound hectic, it's not. The nurses and office team are so on their game that the three different offices function as one.... The nursing staff was always available to us and willing to go over ALL of my questions
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meredith Brower at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
I always felt like an individual under Dr. Brower's care. She and her team were so compassionate and confident during our work together. She calmed all my individual fears, gave us realistic expectations, and developed a very specific protocol. Most importantly she kept us focused and relaxed during our journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Michelle G & Michelle E)
The nursing staff was always available to us and willing to go over ALL of my questions (and I had a lot). they guided us through each step, taught us how to use each of the medications and always returned our calls. I was impressed and appreciative.
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Dr. Brower is a rockstar. We came to her so desperate, confused, and with multiple issues. She instantly became our North star. She was so wonderful at explaining the process and such an expert while guiding us through it. I felt safe and in skilled hands the entire time. IVF is a strange and lonely experience and what I appreciate most about Dr. Brower is that through her approach -- she made me feel brave.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meredith Brower at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Don't be afraid to reach out. She is communicative and compassionate and will answer any question you have, no matter how silly you think it might be.
Describe the protocols Meredith Brower used in your cycles at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol with HGH.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meredith Brower at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
I can't remember.
Describe Meredith Brower's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Dr. Brower's approach was always realistic and rooted in the best outcome for my health. I really appreciate the single embryo transfer approach.
Other, Unexplained
All of the nurses [at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California] were great! very knowledgeable and accommodating...I loved the clinic. It was always clean and inviting and there was never a long wait. The clinic was extremely efficient. I liked the fact that you did not need to go to a separate lab for blood work...Dr. Brower was absolutely incredible. She was the perfect combination of knowledgeable, honest, and empathetic. I could not have asked for a better doctor. She made a stressful and emotional process as easy as it could possibly be. She was always very responsive and caring.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
All of the nurses were great! very knowledgeable and accommodating.
Dr. Brower is one of the best doctors I have ever seen. I cried the day she graduated me to my regular OB. She was always understanding and sympathetic to our needs and wants. At the same time she provided her expertise and experience in a way that gave us the opportunity to make the best decisions for our situation. She is simply the BEST!
Trust her and trust the process. She knows what she's doing!
On day 1 Dr. Brower outlined the different stages and steps to fertility treatments. She went over the pros and cons of each treatment based on our situation (a previous ectopic pregnancy requiring removal of right Fallopian tube). She gave us the option of starting with more conservative treatments, which we did, and gave us full decision making authority to decide when we wanted to move on to the next stage of treatments. Although she let my husband and I decide how quickly we wanted to go to IVF, she provided her recommendations and insight along the way which was just what we needed to make smart, informed decisions. The balance between letting us decide for ourselves and guiding us in the right directions was perfect!
Our insurance covered most of the treatments. I generally paid a $40 co-pay per visit
Based on my medical history and the reasons behind our infertility treatments, Dr. Brower felt that a single embryo transfer would likely be successful and we would get pregnant without the need for multiple embryo transfers. She was right!
Santa Monica
The nurses [at Fertility and Surgical Associates of CA] were wonderful. Sometimes in the mornings it could be hard to get a hold of one of them on the phone, but if you make it clear that it's urgent, you should be able to speak with someone. They were all very knowledgeable and compassionate... Billing can get a bit hairy, but to be fair, I feel that they are upfront about to expect cost-wise, but there's just so much going on that sometimes things felt like they were coming out of left field. Anytime I felt confused, though, I feel I was able to be heard and made to understand, even if I had to fight a bit for the conversation to happen. It's easy to schedule appointments, and wait times are not usually an issue.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Dr. Shamonki always makes time to talk with me. He gives out his cell phone number and encourages patients to call him or text him with any questions - and he's serious. I felt bad for a while, but he kept assuring me that it doesn't bother him. When things didn't go our way with our transfers, Dr. Shamonki called us himself to give us the results and was so compassionate. He also always made time for me to come in and talk with him about any questions/steps moving forward. The nurses are also wonderful.
The nurses were wonderful. Sometimes in the mornings it could be hard to get a hold of one of them on the phone, but if you make it clear that it's urgent, you should be able to speak with someone. They were all very knowledgeable and compassionate.
Dr. Shamonki is a great doctor. I would say his weakness is that he doesn't fully explain what to expect sometimes (i.e. out of 18 embryos, only 7 made it to 5-day blastocyst, which surprised me. I felt that he could have told me ahead of time to expect the drop in number), but I think that comes from him being so knowledgeable. Otherwise his strengths are compassion, thoughtful explanation of procedures, measuring expectations, very hands-on (at almost every monitoring appointment).
Ask lots of questions.
Out of pocket with no insurance it cost us $9,500 for egg retrieval and one transfer. $99 for initial genetic bloodwork, $400 for retrieval anesthesia, roughly another $300-400 in lab fees, roughly $3,000 for medications for one egg retrieval and two transfers. It was $4,500 for another embryo transfer, including monitoring.
Describe Mousa Shamonki's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
He highly suggested only transferring one embryo at a time to reduce to chance of multiples, as it gives a higher chance of having a normal pregnancy as opposed to high-risk and the complications that can come along with multiples pregnancies.
Santa Monica
Their strengths are that they [Fertility & Surgical Assoc of CA] are available 24/7. There are several Dr’s there to help you with your journey. The nursing staff is amazing.... They all want this to work for you just as bad as you want it to work. They listen to Your concerns, calm your nerves & genuinely care for you. They explain your protocols thoroughly & even make you a calendar to help keep things organized... I really don’t have any negatives I’ve experienced so far in my journey
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Their strengths are that they are available 24/7. There are several Dr’s there to help you with your journey. The nursing staff is amazing. I really don’t have any negatives I’ve experienced so far in my journey
I was never rushed, Dr took his time to explain protocols & procedures & answer any questions I have
They are amazing. They all want this to work for you just as bad as you want it to work. They listen to Your concerns, calm your nerves & genuinely care for you. They explain your protocols thoroughly & even make you a calendar to help keep things organized
Dr. Buyalos was thorough in explaining all of my options. He changed protocols when one didn’t work. He walked me through all procedures & answered all of my questions. His 24/7 availability was really important In my treatment since timing as we all know is most important. I love that he is realistic in his expectations & he makes you believe that things are going to work & he’s not going to stop till it does.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Be patient...be optimistic, trust your Dr!
I have PCOS & have very slow growing follicles. Right away he started me off on a higher dose of Clomid, when that wasn’t working he switched to Femara. That worked! Unfortunately the IUI didn’t work. 2nd cycle he started on Femara, after a week on that we switched to high dose of Clomid & that worked. However the IUI didn’t work. Now my 3rd cycle we did higher dose of Femara for longer intervals & it worked. I’m currently in 2WW!
My monitoring is $150/ ultrasound & the IUI procedure itself was $255
Thousand Oaks
Approx $7500 for the drugs to facilitate egg production, $1000 for egg retrival and $2500 for embryo transfer [at Fefrtility & Surgical Associates of California]. Approx $200 weekly ultrasound visits. Plus medication for post embryo transfer approx $1000...I only waited to see Dr. Brower one time longer than 5 minutes. All other appointments I was see right away. The lobby was always quiet and pleasant. Easy street parking. Warm exam rooms.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Dr. Brower is very warm and personable. She created a realistic expectation for me so that I could remain hopeful but not be surprised if I was disappointed. She is informative, writing things down for my husband and myself. Available to email and would call me personally after procedures and test results. I am very lucky to have received treatment under her care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Terri)
The staff were great!
Dr. Brower is so warm and kind. She took the time to know my husband and I, our life circumstances, work and our personalities. I made mistakes with my medications (just 2) and she made me feel like it wasn't the end of the world and had adjustments for me to make. Despite all of that I had a successful transfer and so far 1st trimester.
Know that she's got you! Allow her to do the worrying for you. Relax and trust that she is excellent at what she does. The process is already stressful with cost and fear of the unknown. If you can do this, your experience will be as good as it can get given the circumstance. Try not to think to far into the future and focus on what's happening right now, get past that and then onto the next hurdle.
I don't remember the specifics, I tried to just do what she recommended. Trying to get the dosage and timing right of the drug administration. I don't recall anything being out of the ordinary from a protcol standpoint. I did messing up the estrogen patch and orally taking a vaginal medication. OMG! :) but I'm pregnant
The costs for us were out of pocket. Approx $7500 for the drugs to facilitate egg production, $1000 for egg retrival and $2500 for embryo transfer. Approx $200 weekly ultrasound visits. Plus medication for post embryo transfer approx $1000.
Santa Monica
They [Fertility & Surgical Associates of CA] do try to bill your insurance and very helpful. Very nice billing dept. They always responded, I met with them in person many times. They also told me about the compassionate care discount which was very helpful. They also helped me apply for a grant on a deadline which I thought was really nice, even at the last minute. On the weekends, Even if the clinic is open, often you will get the answering service.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
They do try to bill your insurance and very helpful. Very nice billing dept. They always responded, I met with them in person many times. They also told me about the compassionate care discount which was very helpful. They also helped me apply for a grant on a deadline which I thought was really nice, even at the last minute. On the weekends, Even if the clinic is open, often you will get the answering service. This was sometimes frustrating, but you always got a call back from nurse or doctor. Shamonki gives out his cell number so you always have that if a true urgent need.
Dr Shamonki treats every patient he has like a family member. He really does. He always had time for me. Always treated me with the upmost respect. He is laid back and confident at the same time. I always felt I was very well taken care of when I was undergoing treatment with him. My Mini IVF was very smooth. He also treats others in his office very well. I think it is also a good judge of character if the people that work for a doctor think highly of them. The whole office is really good. His father was a fertility Dr and still people think highly of him also. Dr Shamonki was the first Dr I saw when I started this journey, and I ended up coming back under his care. So I have a few other doctors to compare him to. He is truly an exceptional doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Shannen and Laura)
Shannen B and Laura are incredible. So is Michelle. I am very fortunate that they are part of Dr Shamonki's team. They are each very smart, always kind, showed compassion and much patience. When you go through this journey and nurses are not helpful or kind, it can really be a game changer. It makes SUCH a difference.
I started out on this journey seeing Dr Shamonki. Over the course of 2 years, I saw a few other fertility Doctors. It has been a very challenging journey. I came back to see him as a patient and still in the process. We are aiming to do an embryo transfer in May. Out of all the doctors I did cycles with, he was the most professional, competent, trustworthy. My favorite. I highly recommend him. This is a really tough journey and the doctors I think should be held to a high standard. I work in the medical field. Dr Shamonki exceeds the mark. Every time.
He will listen to your concerns, he will meet you where you are in your treatment and try the hardest for you. I sometimes wished we had done more bloodwork. I think he felt it was necessary to over do labs. You are in good hands. Go for it!
I did clomid, Gonal F, Lupron, Menapur. Progesterone, estrogen priming.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
I work full time, They let me come to the office that was the most convenient for me which was helpful.
I would say they were moderate costs. He was not the most expensive nor was he the least expensive.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
IVF was around $10,000, PGS testing $3,500 , meds were around $4,000 and extra cost of labs, and procedure between $1,000-$2,000...The nursing staff was very informative and always very warm and friendly. They always greeted us and after a few visits some even remembered our names and that made us feel like we chose the right place to help us with our procedure. Whatever questions we had they would answer for us they always wanted to make sure that we were doing okay and just like like Doctor Buyalos they were very enthusiastic to help and very positive that they can help us conceive our first child.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The clinic is very clean and every person at the front desk is very welcoming and very helpful. They always greet you and they always offer you something to drink. Overall the clinic and its staff are amazing.
I felt that we were treated as humans because after the first visit he remembered our names and he was always very enthusiastic in the way he talked to us and he always treated kind and with respect.
From our very first visit Doctor Buyalos was very informative and very enthusiastic to help us with our situation. He always was very thorough and detailed on what the next steps were. While in his office we saw that he even used some type of phone service to record what was decided in our first meeting with him and he would continue to use this every time we met with him. He called us within a few days of our first meeting and wanted to check up on us and see if we were taking proper steps needed to help eliminate other factors before jumping into IVF. At one time he called us when he was out of the country to check up on us and see how we were doing and to make sure that we being on schedule with the testing that he had recommended us to do. It was all very new to us and in our area the doctors are nowhere as thorough and informative as Doctor Buyalos. We do not mind the drive of three and a half hours from where we live in Hanford to Thousand Oaks because we know that every appointment with Doctor Buyalos will be informative and thorough and always focused on our needs and we love the fact that every test we need can be done in his office.
Do not be afraid to ask questions. Doctor Buyalos is very good at explaining everything and every step of the IVF process.
First we had my wife checked out and he looked over her previous records and stated he was not concerned with endometriosis. He then had me do another sperm analysis. I was then refer to Dr. Zeitlin do to low sperm count. Here I did several tests; prostate check, ultrasound and he started me on medication. I began to take Anastrozole 1 mg daily and Clomiphene Citrate 50mg a half pill every other day. They continued to test sperm and added in CoQ10 to help as well. After using this for several months my results improved and Dr. Buyalos said IVF would be our best route. We then worked on getting money together and began to order meds and set up schedule. My wife was seen many times while on injections and blood tested as well. All meds were used and never adjusted as he said she was responding very well. On day of retrieval he projected 17 eggs and we were shocked to hear 30 eggs were retrieved. On day one of fertilization we had 22 on day 3 we still had 22 and both us and doctor were shocked. By day 5 we had 4 ready to freeze and possibly 5 more. We ended up with 7 embryos before PGS testing.
Doctor Buyalos recommended that we only do 1 embryo for our first transfer because he did not want us to have any complications and informed us on how multiple embryo transfers can have more complications and be more difficult on the female patient.
Thousand Oaks
My biggest critique is the billing department [at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California] and their ability in dealing with insurance. There was a major lack of communication when I was trying to get insurance coverage for my IUI's and it left me battling for medication at the last minute and made my first experience with IUI a stressful one. It takes a long time for them to return phone calls and you have to be on top of them if you want a response quickly. I also feel as though there is a lack of communication in the different departments of the clinic. From billing to nurses to doctors I wish there was a little more organization in how they communicate. In terms of the doctor, the nurses and what they provide though, I would not change a thing. The only thing that would make it better for me is if the office were smaller. But again that is just personal preference.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
My biggest critique is the billing department and their ability in dealing with insurance. There was a major lack of communication when I was trying to get insurance coverage for my IUI's and it left me battling for medication at the last minute and made my first experience with IUI a stressful one. It takes a long time for them to return phone calls and you have to be on top of them if you want a response quickly. I also feel as though there is a lack of communication in the different departments of the clinic. From billing to nurses to doctors I wish there was a little more organization in how they communicate. In terms of the doctor, the nurses and what they provide though, I would not change a thing. The only thing that would make it better for me is if the office were smaller. But again that is just personal preference.
The doctors office is fairly large. I feel as though I would have preferred it if Dr. Hubert were a part of a smaller office. I never felt as though he didn't answer my questions or that he didn't care about me as an individual but it is hard to not feel like a number when the office is so large.
I really like the nursing staff. They are all very nice and answer my questions thoroughly and if they don't know the answer they have never hesitated to call Dr. Hubert to get the answer. My problem is that there are so many of them that you never end up talking to the same nurse twice. If you do have the same nurse more than once its almost like you have to re explain who you are and what your situation is. I wish I would have had one nurse that followed me from day 1. But again I think this is just how it is with such a big clinic.
Dr. Hubert always answered my questions thoroughly and never made me feel dumb or like I should already know the answers to my questions. He sat down with my husband and I for multiple consultations when we had questions about what was to come next. He even gave me his cell phone number so I could get a hold of him if I had any questions. He is always extremely encouraging and confident that I am going to be a mom. I feel that Dr. Hubert is extremely knowledgeable and has a ton of experience in the field.
Ask as many questions as you can to make you feel comfortable with what your plan of action is. Don't ever feel like you can't ask questions.
1st IUI: 50mg Clomid for 5 days. 75 units Gonal F for 3 days. Triggered on Day 9. IUI Day 10. 2nd IUI: 50mg Clomid for 5 days. 75 units Gonal F for 3 days. Triggered on Day 9. IUI Day 10 and 11. 3rd IUI: 50mg Clomid for 5 days. 75 units Gonal F for 3 days. Triggered on Day 9. IUI Day 10 and 11.
Ultrasounds $150 each IUI $320 each Gonal F covered by insurance Trigger Shot $150 Clomid $20 Progesterone $20
Uterine Fibroids, Other
...I could tell his [Dr. Mousa Shamonki] demeanor was WAY different in the new clinic [Fertility & Surgical Associates]. Because he was more relaxed so was I. We were able to talk more about our options. I felt that he knew what he was talking about when looking at ultrasounds and everything that I had been through previously. We never came up with a plan because financially we were not able to continue with any treatments out of insurance. However I do follow up with him all the time. He is available to me anytime just by sending a text to his cell phone.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
They are a very busy clinic and their a lot of doctors but they are very efficient and I never had to wait more than 10 or so minutes
He has great bedside manner and talks with a calm voice. He is very upfront and honest with me.
I don't even remember any nurses to be fair
I very first started seeing Dr. Shamonki when he was at UCLA in Westwood. At UCLA the workspace they provided to him and the amount of patients that he was given to care for was MANY. I felt that he was stressed and rushed to get to the next and the next after that. He didn't seem like that kind of person to treat patients in this kind of environment. When he moved and went to his new clinic it seemed like he was more relaxed and able to care for patients the way he thought they should be treated. I could tell his demeanor was WAY different in the new clinic. Because he was more relaxed so was I. We were able to talk more about our options. I felt that he knew what he was talking about when looking at ultrasounds and everything that I had been through previously. We never came up with a plan because financially we were not able to continue with any treatments out of insurance. However I do follow up with him all the time. He is available to me anytime just by sending a text to his cell phone.
Keep him in the loop
I didn't do an IVF cycle with Dr. Shamonki. Although I brought embryos I had frozen from another clinic to him to be transferred but chose to PGS test them before transfer
I think the costs at the clinic are relatively inexpensive compared to other clinics that I have went to.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
IVF was $9600 FET was $3600 [at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California]...The nurses here are the BEST! After monitoring apts, I would sit down with the nurses to go over meds, schedule other apts, and explain anything I wanted to understand. All phone calls were returned same day for any and all questions. I can't say enough about them!...Open 365 days a year, with morning apts on weenends and holidays. This is VERY important when doing IUI and ER since they are time sensitive. There is an after hours phone service that takes messages and a doctor is on call all the time. I had some bleeding and one of the doctors returned my call a half an hour later on Easter Sunday. Also, the doctors cover foreachother for monitoring apts- although it is YOUR primary doctor that has the final say in your treatment.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Everyone from the office staff, nurses and Dr. B. were concerned with me as a person and spent time with me to make sure I understood everything. They rearranged their schedule for apts since I was traveling 3.5 hrs to each apt and the nurses made me feel like I was a part of their family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I left another clinic because I felt like a number and wanted personal attention. From our 1st apt, he spent over an hour with us, explaining the entire process of IUI and IVF, looking over our previous test results, getting background medical history, preforming US before making any recommendations. Several times he mentioned having to change treatment plans and set up phone calls since we were over 3.5 hrs away. He adapted his schedule so we could have later apts due to our drive. I do like that Dr B preforms all US, which I've learned is not always the case. Monitoring apts are VERY quick.
Dr B is very knowledgeable and kind. He truly cares about you as a patient and wants the best outcome for you.
IVF was $9600 FET was $3600
Single embryo transfers are preferred, but Dr B allowed us to transfer 2 since they were not PGS tested. Also he commented that I had a long torso and would be able to handle twins if both embryos implanted.
Encino
Clinic [Fert & Surg Asso of CA] is very clean, and all are located in very nice areas. Very comfy. However front desk staff (Sherman Oaks) is not so professional they need to work more on their people skills. (Encino and Santa Monica have great personality’s all around) Their phone lines are a headache being that half the time u get the afterhour phone system and have to wait for a call back. You usually have to keep calling till u get trough. Their back office nurses are good. Very helpful.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Clinic is very clean, and all are located in very nice areas. Very comfy. However front desk staff (Sherman Oaks) is not so professional they need to work more on their people skills. (Encino and Santa Monica have great personality’s all around) Their phone lines are a headache being that half the time u get the afterhour phone system and have to wait for a call back. You usually have to keep calling till u get trough. Their back office nurses are good. Very helpful.
Dr Shamonki is always very helpful and kind. Always very considerate of anyone’s situation. Very consoling and easy to reach.
Nurses here are your regular nursing staff , just in and out. Very fast paced facility’s.
Dr Shamonki is always so compassionate and loving. Always treats you like family so heartwarming. He always strives to get the best result posible. Always easy to reach and always very informative about everything. I can’t express enough about how compassionate this doctor is.
Always be an open book and honest with this Dr he is very understanding about everything. He does not judge. He helps.
All the three times I got treatment from Dr Shamonki I always did the IUI procedures. Because of financial struggles that was all we could ever really afford. I suffer from PCOS so we always did metformin first 500mg 3x day . Then I would call him on my first cycle day we would do ultrasound to check my uterine lining. To start my ovulation I was put on Femara (Letrazole) I don’t remember the dose but I was put on this medication cause it’s the one that beat helped me in the whole ovulation process. I was completely resistant to clomid when we first tried it. I did monitoring of my eggs every other day. The one time the IUI worked I actually produced 3 eggs on my left and 2 eggs on my right. I have always only produced two one side and 1 on the other. Out of all those only usually one became a good mature size. After my first ectopic pregnancy after the treatment (NOT during treatment) Dr Shamonki order that we do a Hysterosalpingogram to make sure there was no blockage of tubes , before we did another round of IUI , it was after that procedure that I got pregnant, but it had to be terminated due to viable heart beat or growth found. It was considered a chromosome abnormality. Over all I’ve had a long road with Dr. Shamonki but he has always strived in everything he has tried to do for my husband and I.
Every cycle of IUI cost us roughly about 2,000
This is something we have yet to speak about.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They {Fertility & Surgery Associates of California] are very busy, so expect to wait sometimes and for appointments to take a long time...Office isn't great and you can be on hold when you call a great deal...You were with a different [nurse] each time, so we got to where we requested certain people (like Courtney!). Other nurses were not so great at presenting information.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Office isn't great and you can be on hold when you call a great deal. On the day I was waiting for my first pregnancy beta test, my doctor was out of town. The tech who drew my blood said they would call me soon. SIX hours and several frantic phone calls later, they finally said I was pregnant. I had had a panic attack by then. They are very busy, so expect to wait sometimes and for appointments to take a long time. Get to know the front office person, Angie, for better help.
Great bedside manner, didn't try to make money off of us. He really took the time to understand our case and give us options. He didn't push us in a certain direction and was very candid with us about our situation. Very warm, intelligent, and caring.
You were with a different one each time, so we got to where we requested certain people (like Courtney!). Other nurses were not so great at presenting information.
He spent a great deal of time with us when we first met with him and helped us understand our case. He was honest and warm. He's very skilled, very intelligent, and very passionate. I cannot say enough good things about him.
Don't be afraid to ask him pointed questions; he's comfortable answering any questions.
Clomid, Menopur and Bravelle for first egg retrieval (until Bravelle pulled from market), then Gonal-F. I actually like the Gonal-F better (much easier to inject with the pen). 3 egg retrievals and embryo biopsies. We didn't get many per cycle that were normal (1-2), so we did 3 rounds and ended up with 4 normals that were frozen. We wanted to do all egg retrievals first before transfers since it was a race against time with my eggs. Estrogen pills and Progesterone for transfer. I actually preferred the shots of progesterone even though they hurt because it was easier and less messy in some ways. I'm not sure about the rationales for everything (can't remember it all now), but the idea was that I didn't have a lot of eggs left that were great, so this maximized the number of good eggs that we got. Our healthy son was born last March.
$60,000 total for 3 egg retrievals and 1 transfer.
We told him about a friend of ours who transferred two and ended up with triplets (one split) and he said that he tries to avoid transferring multiple embryos these days because the testing is so much better and because it presents fewer risks to the mother to have only one.
2011 - 2014
The clinic [Fertility & Surgical Associates of California] is not a "factory" as I've heard other clinics be described. In a strange way, I felt like it was incredibly homey. From Angie at the front desk to the billing coordinator, to the nurses drawing labs, to the nurses managing the cycle and of course, my doctor Dr. Buyalos, everyone was just nice and very on top of things. I was in a bind once and needed a prescription called into a pharmacy immediately.
2011 - 2014
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
They were a breeze to schedule with. I came in sometimes as early as 7:45 or even 7:30 for ultrasounds so I could be at work by 9am. Dr. Buyalos did every single ultrasound for every cycle I did. He takes a very hands on approach in his care. As busy as they are, he still really knows his patients and would remember things that I would never expect such a busy doctor to remember. I worked most closely with his nurses Terry and Arlene. I just adore them both. The clinic is not a "factory" as I've heard other clinics be described. In a strange way, I felt like it was incredibly homey. From Angie at the front desk to the billing coordinator, to the nurses drawing labs, to the nurses managing the cycle and of course, my doctor Dr. Buyalos, everyone was just nice and very on top of things. I was in a bind once and needed a prescription called into a pharmacy immediately. The office was closed for lunch and my nurse still got my email and made it happen. When my transfers were successful, the nurses called me with the good news and Dr. Buyalos called me personally afterwards to offer me his congratulations. I had a million questions and emailed and called more than I felt comfortable but not once did any of the staff make me feel like I was a nuisance. We are forever grateful not only for our two miracles but also for the experience we had with them that helped bring them to us.
Dr. Buyalos did every ulrasound. He took the time to discuss everything. He called to follow up. He went above and beyond to make me feel like I was under the best care possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Arlene)
She was on top of everything. She went the extra mile for me whenever there was something she could do to help. I worked most closely with his nurses Terry and Arlene. I just adore them both.
I'm so happy Dr. Buyalos was my doctor. He always made me feel comfortable. He called me personally to discuss things, and made me feel like I wasn't "just a number."
Nothing I can think of.
2008 - 2014
PCOS, Other
They [Fertility & Surgical Associates of CA] don't provide general pricing over the phone. Not to mention, they have HUNDREDS of clients, why not lower the cost to make it affordable for ALL people like myself! At the time I received services, my provider didn't have a fertility doctor available so they offered to send me to an outside source which is when I found FSA. I no longer have this insurance carrier and cannot afford treatment as I don't have $20-$30k sitting around!
2008 - 2014
Latino, Other
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Pricing! They don't provide general pricing over the phone. Not to mention, they have HUNDREDS of clients, why not lower the cost to make it affordable for ALL people like myself! At the time I received services, my provider didn't have a fertility doctor available so they offered to send me to an outside source which is when I found FSA. I no longer have this insurance carrier and cannot afford treatment as I don't have $20-$30k sitting around!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
He was very caring and sincere throughout the entire process. Not once did he make me feel like a number!
Great people from what I can remember.
How was your experience with Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
I can remember my first attempt of IUI and receiving a negative pregnancy test, walking into that office was heart wrenching. As I sat in the exam room with tears in my eyes, Dr. Kumar walked in and immediately sympathized with my feelings and assured me, I would get pregnant and I did 3 cycles later!! His compassion that day meant so much to me. I immediately knew, he was someone I could trust throughout the process. Unfortunately, we tried 4 years later with no success and no more money BUT I know at some point, I'll see Dr. Kumar again and he'll help get me pregnant again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Trust him! He will not stir you in the wrong direction!!
Describe the protocols Ashim Kumar used in your cycles at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California and their degree of success.
Initatially, I started with Clomid but Dr. Kumar immediately recognized this wasn't the best approach so he had me start injections to which we saw progress in what we were achieving. Dr. Kumar monitored my progression and highered/lowered my medication based off of every scan. Clearly he knew best as he got me pregnant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Fortunately at that time, it was covered by my insurance carrier. NOW however, the cost is absolutely ridiculous and out right unaffordable unless you are rich! I'm working/middle class and cannot afford $20-$30k for 1 cycle!! Sad because I'm longing for another child and all these doctors see is dollar signs! They take advantage of those who desperately seek a child and it breaks my heart!!
2008 - 2011
Do whatever you need to do to use Dr Buyalos for your fertility treatment. When I was undergoing treatment with him, I lived two hours away and it was well worth all of the driving back and forth to have a doctor that I could trust to be honest and forthright...Everyone at Fertility & Surgical Associates was very compassionate and kind. When I had my miscarriage, Dr Buyulos spent a lot of time answering all of my questions and reassuring me that I still had every reason to believe that I would get the outcome I was hoping for. Even after having my twins, I have still been able to call Dr Buyulos on several occasions to get follow up information.
2008 - 2011
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
They are there seven days a week and all blood work and ultrasounds are done in house. All of the nursing staff I dealt with were RNs and had considerable knowledge and experience.
I was extremely pleased with my experience and with his treatment. I saw him at every visit and was able to get in touch with him after hours on one occasion early in my pregnancy, when I was experiencing some issues and was very worried. He explained what he thought the issue was and put my mind somewhat at ease until I was able to go in for an office visit (I was out of town at the time, which made the situation even more difficult). Just as he had predicted, there was no major problem with the pregnancy and I went on to deliver twins.
The cost was high because my insurance did not cover much of the treatment, but I don't think fees were higher than usual or customary. Dr Buyalos and his staff made every effort to help me find ways to minimize or defray costs, where possible. For example, they would let me know about any programs being offered by one of the drug manufacturers.
Santa Monica
There is absolutely no weakness in getting an appointment right away. This clinic [Fertility & Surgical Assoc of CA] is well known in the area for the best at getting women pregnant. They have a lab on site everything transfer is done on site.... The nurses are kind cute and they offer you Gatorade. Each nurse i had was gentle and treated me like a human. They got in quick and effortlessly.... they treat you like your their own family.... I owe $575 right now and the first round of IVF is $9500
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
There is absolutely no weakness in getting an appointment right away. This clinic is well known in the area for the best at getting women pregnant. They have a lab on site everything transfer is done on site.
Dr. Buyalos is the most wonderful caring man. He was the first fertility doctor to do an MRI on my pelvis finding a huge fibroid containing my entire uterine cavity. He said I had that fibroid for years and no other doctor would do an MRI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Melinda)
They all have strengths. And they are all attractive too which doesn’t hurt. But they treat you like your their own family.
Dr. Buyalos is. Known around the area to get women pregnant. The nurses are kind cute and they offer you Gatorade. Each nurse i had was gentle and treated me like a human. They got in quick and effortlessly.
Dr. Buyalos will figure the real reason your not getting pregnant the first time you see him. He made me get an MRI on my pelvis and low and behold no baby could grow in there. He’s very well known in our community for getting women pregnant.
The first protocol was that Buyalos said that my eggs are 10 years younger than me. But he wanted to an MRI on my pelvis and I had surgery by Buyalos on June 29th to remove a 3lb fibroid
I owe $575 right now and the first round of IVF is $9500
Prefer one embryo at a time
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
The staff [at Fertility and Surgical Associates of CA] was always on time and functioned like a machine, getting you from consultation, to blood work etc.. all while being available for questions at any point in time. The follow up phone calls were pretty much to the letter in terms of timing you knew exactly when to expect a call.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
There are multiple locations which is a plus. When I first started I was driving over an hour each way to get there just for blood work. Its pretty busy so be prepared the smaller locations are much more private if you need it. There are multiple entrances and exits for privacy as well.
He is so kind and supportive, but also realistic.
The staff was always on time and functioned like a machine, getting you from consultation, to blood work etc.. all while being available for questions at any point in time. The follow up phone calls were pretty much to the letter in terms of timing you knew exactly when to expect a call.
He's great I wish he was my primary physician. He's just a normal, kind person that you'd want to get dinner with. He is an amazing communicator he's available anytime you need him. After a tough experience with another doctor he was very conscious of our hesitations.
You will really love him.
He first wanted to ensure that my tubes were clear and that there wasn't any issues with my uterine lining due to multiple D&C's and miscarriages. There didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary from a protocol perspective but I was more concerned with the prep work involved and he was covered there. I literally felt like I had every test in the book done before I even started my meds.
The costs were fair based on research, not too high or too low
He was a huge proponent of only doing a single transfer, for my safety and he was clear that the outcome in terms of percentages were not that different. Pretty much it didn't up your chances that much to do a multiple embryo transfer. He was clear that he would do whatever we wanted, but recommended only one.
Santa Monica
[Fert & Surg Asso of CA - Enc staff is] very nice and patient...Strengths: professional Doctors ...
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Strengths: professional Doctors Weakness: a little bit far away
Dr. B is very polite and patient to me, and explained every concerns and questions I've raised in detail. He always make me feel relaxed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
very nice and patient
According to my experience, I did my first cycle in other clinic and my result was very bad. I have PCOS. The first cycle that I did in other clinic resulted in 25 eggs and 4 embryos, but only 1 C-grade normal embryo. I don't want to use that embryo. Then I found FSAC through online searching. After consulting Dr. B, I felt Dr. B is very experienced and explained me the process that I would do even if I had former experience. He made every efforts to help me. I think he is experienced and extremely professional. I saw the difference of my experience! It is amazing. With Dr. B's treatment, I had 35 eggs and 7 normal embryos, including 4 A grade and 3 B grade embryo! I really appreciate Dr. B!
Trust him and take his advice.
I first use the birth control pills, and gonal-F,menupur omnitriop, cetrotide I rember. Then it is egg retrieval. I retrieved 35 eggs. and 7 embryo. Later I used birth control, estrace, doxy both my husband and me, endometrin for the embryo transfer. Dr. B advised to put just 1 embryo and I just pregnant!
more than 20K
Encino
The Santa Monica office is small & convenient but it is part of the larger Fertility & Surgical Associates family- so you really have the personalized feeling within a bigger clinic and lab... I had very little interaction with the nursing staff, so I can't really rate them. The few interactions I had were positive.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Dr. Shamonki is so personable. From our first meeting he spent over an hour sitting and talking with me and understanding the treatments I had already gone through and their outcome. He developed a customized plan and explained everything to me. This was such a different approach than I had experienced before. From the beginning he gave me his cell phone number and email address and said he is reachable at any time. He also texted me to check in after I was pregnant and no longer actively his patient. It was so kind!
I cannot sign Dr. Shamonk's praises enough. Not only did he take the time to really understand what was going on with me, he had ideas that my other doctor did not. He said that I probably never even needed to go through IVF and he felt strongly I could get pregnant with just the help of some injections & he was right!! He is by far the best doctor I have ever experienced & I will measure all future doctors against him.
Go!
It was all covered by my insurance.
2014 - 2017
Very thorough and friendly, clean environment [at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California]. They always remember me when I come in and I really like that. Not a fan of the lady that checks us out at the end. I don't know her name but she isn't friendly...I believe overall round 1 was about $20,000 and round 2 was about $7,000. Both round we paid cash as our insurance covers zero for ivf...Appointments were usually on time. I had a few times they needed to reschedule but overall it was perfectly ok. My clinic was actually the Thousand Oaks office but it didn't give me that option.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Very thorough and friendly, clean environment. They always remember me when I come in and I really like that. Not a fan of the lady that checks us out at the end. I don't know her name but she isn't friendly.
He cared deeply for helping us 'get a family'
Very helpful and kind. Always respectful of my time.
Very kind and compassionate. I recommend him to anyone. Gave very thorough info. He explained our 'issues' in detail and didn't allow us to leave until we fully udnsersyood and had no more questions.
Have questions ready
I had 2 ivf cycles. First was a successf, 2nd was not. Clomid was on first and injections for estrogen and progesterone. 2nd was progesterone suppositories and oral meds for estrogen
He was fine with us transferring 2 each time
2013 - 2017
The only problem I had was with staff [at Fertility & Surgical Associates was] returning my phone calls. If I didn't hear back I would call again. A little frustrating but I get it, this clinic is busy...Dr B would call me personally to talk to me about my cycle. After my first failed transfer with him he was so encouraging and positive. I've never had a doctor take as much time as he has on me.
2013 - 2017
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The only problem I had was with staff returning my phone calls. If I didn't hear back I would call again. A little frustrating but I get it, this clinic is busy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Teri)
Teri is no longer with this clinic but was an amazing support during our first 2 cycles at this office.
Dr B has been amazing throughout our IVF journey. I was unsuccessful 3 times with another doctor and wasn't feeling very confident when I walked into his office. After our initial consultation I had restored confidence in the IVF process. I saw Dr B at every appointment, he performed every ultrasound and was extremely warm and compassionate every step of the way. He included my husband in on everything, remembered our names after our first visit, which really made me feel welcome. He's an amazing doctor and just really takes time to be there for each of his patients.
If you aren't clear on something he said, speak up. He is more than happy to go over whatever it is you are not clear on.
Dr B gave us the option to transfer 1 or 2 embryo's. He gave us the risks and benefits on all the possible outcomes.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
They [nurses at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California] were understanding and there when we are falling apart. They also were very knowledgeable in the IVF process, finding assistance with medication and empathic to my sensitivity...Strengths: Scheduling was done within a week. Staff calls back within a timely manner and on available on weekends. Staff are compassionate to our grief and loss. Staff was always willing to help, making us feel comfortable and answer questions.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Dr. Hubert and his staff were extremely helpful and compassionate. Walking into the office know that there are others with the same problems really made it easier to continue with consultation. Dr. Hubert made him very assessable and his assistant Alondra was very attentive.
They were understanding and there when we are falling apart. They also were very knowledgeable in the IVF process, finding assistance with medication and empathic to my sensitivity.
Dr. Hubert is very caring and thorough. He took time to talk me through the difficulty of my diagnosis. I was did not feel rushed or feel that he was pressed with time. I appreciated his consolation and was seen within a timely matter.
Not being griped by fear because Dr. Hubert and his staff are willing to help and they understand the shame and difficulty finding acceptance in our infertility.
15,000~
Describe Gary Hubert's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Arlene [a nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of CA] is a woman of few words. Apparently she's very experienced and knows her stuff. She's not warm or fuzzy and very little hand holding. I felt that maybe she didn't like me but maybe she's just super busy.... Three week cycle to stim. No embryo glue. He prefers single transfers but will do double. Everything is done through Arlene his nurse. She makes the calendar. Not too many adjustments to the calendar after it's made. I felt I should have had another week of injections to thicken my lining instead of the 3 weeks that resulted in only 7mm upon transfer (of course or failed)
European, South Asian
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I hand holding!
Difficult to communicate with dr kumar without going through his nurse who didn't give much information
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Arlene )
Arlene is a woman of few words. Apparently she's very experienced and knows her stuff. She's not warm or fuzzy and very little hand holding. I felt that maybe she didn't like me but maybe she's just super busy
When I was able to speak to him he was very compassionate and caring. But he would miss phone appointments or would be too busy a lot of the time and I had to go through his nurse who would take a while to get back to me. I was scared to keep bugging them after a while as I thought that could affect my treatment t and care if I became annoying
It's not a hand holding clinic
Describe Ashim Kumar's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
He strongly prefers set due to seeing people mc with multiple
2009 - 2016
Endometriosis, PCOS
The clinic [Fert & Surg Asso of CA] is very busy but it is well organized and responsive to your needs. At times you need to be an advocate for yourself and request to see the doctor or speak to him...I worked with two different nursing teams. The first team in 2010 was more engaging, seemed more interested in my wellbeing and were more compassionate and interested in my care. At times it did feel like I was just a number both times but more so the second time around in 2016.
2009 - 2016
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The clinic is very busy but it is well organized and responsive to your needs. At times you need to be an advocate for yourself and request to see the doctor or speak to him.
Dr. Buyalos treated me like a human but other staff sometimes made me feel more like a number.
He was very understanding and worked hard on our behalf. He was careful to identify our individual and unique circumstances and address them. He always called himself if there was a concern rather than having a nurse call. He remembered details of my case two years later.
Make sure to ask all of your questions as he will respond if he knows there are concerns.
We did PGD due to a genetic condition and PGS our second cycle due to a miscarriage likely due to chromosomal abnormalities.
It was around 15,000 with treatment PGD but that was several years ago.
Santa Monica
The clinic [Fertility & Surgical Associates of CA] has three locations. The staff tries to accommodate you and schedule your appointment at your preferred location. This was very helpful. The nursing staff calls me back right away to address any question or concerns that I have.... Michelle always returned my calls promptly and answered all of my questions thoroughly.... Shamonki has a wonderful bed side manner. He is a great communicator. He was easy to get in touch with. He would respond to my text messages within 5 minutes.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The clinic has three locations. The staff tries to accommodate you and schedule your appointment at your preferred location. This was very helpful. The nursing staff calls me back right away to address any question or concerns that I have.
Shamonki took his time meeting with us and weighing our options for treatment. He let us ask all of our questions. We did not feel rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Michelle E)
Shamonki was very kind. He looked into our case with great detail and outlined a course of treatment for us. He took his time in explaining everything. He told us to contact him via cell phone with any further questions or concerns. I saw him at every visit
Dr. Shamonki recommended single embryo transfer for me.
IUI, IVF
The clinic [Fertility & Surgical Associated of California] is great. Billing staff is helpful. Doctors, PAs/NPs, and nurses are the best. Location is easy to find. Equipment is up to date and the wait time is short. Overall we had an excellent experience with this clinic...Dr. Meredith Brower is one of the kindest and capable healthcare professionals I have had the pleasure of working with. She is very knowledgeable while being able to explain things in a way that is easy to understand. She is nurturing, and it's so obvious how much she cares for each of her patients. We feel so fortunate that we found her!
IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The clinic is great. Billing staff is helpful. Doctors, PAs/NPs, and nurses are the best. Location is easy to find. Equipment is up to date and the wait time is short. Overall we had an excellent experience with this clinic.
Dr. Brower is the kindest and most empathetic specialist you could ask for. She made us feel safe, welcomed, and cared for. She kept morale high with her positive attitude, while still being honest and open about realistic outcomes.
Be honest with yourself and with your doctor about what you hope to achieve. Dr. Brower is there for you and will do everything she can to help you reach your goal, whatever that may be.
Santa Monica
He [Dr. Mousa Shamonki] is incredible. I feel very lucky that he is my doctor. I'm not pregnant yet, my first transfer happened today but I feel safe and know I'm in good hands. He calls, texts or face timed me if I have questions or concerns. He even left the country two days after my egg retrieval and still texted me almost daily from China to check in on me because I had OHSS...He is very conservative and because I have so many eggs was very cautious in his approach and dosages.
He is amazing. I can call or text him 24/7 and he is very comforting
A couple are great, a few are not that great
He is incredible. I feel very lucky that he is my doctor. I'm not pregnant yet, my first transfer happened today but I feel safe and know I'm in good hands. He calls, texts or face timed me if I have questions or concerns. He even left the country two days after my egg retrieval and still texted me almost daily from China to check in on me because I had OHSS
Set realistic expectations and don't let time mess with your head. Each week you're not pregnant is so hard but try not to stress
He will only transfer one embryo
2013 - 2014
2013 - 2014
European, Other
I met primarily with the same nurses and always the doctor. However for being there every day the office staff never knew me by name or at least pretended not to and I felt like Kumar had to stand outside the door and read my chart before he came in.
They were all pleasant but could be rude on the phone or if you asked too many questions. They didn't return calls in a timely manner. The bottom line is the clinic has too many patients
I really liked him. I feel like he was upfront and honest about our options but probably pushed us into IVF when we could have tried other options. I had a complication during egg retrieval and I didn't think he addressed it appropriately afterwards
Be your own advocate
Encino
Fertility and surgical had a very Organized, clean, friendly, and efficient clinic. I never felt like my time was being wasted waiting for my appointment and they were always willing to work with my travel and time constraints.... Most all of the nurses we worked with were very knowledgeable.... If you have any concerns no matter how big or small, don’t be afraid to bring them up.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Dr buyalos is very personable and I always felt like he really cared about me and helping me start a family
Most all of the nurses we worked with were very knowledgeable.
Dr Buyalos is professional, informative, and compassionate. I felt like he truly felt my pain with setbacks and joy during successes. He called me during his family vacations to make sure I knew what was happening and came in on his days off to check on me.