Fifth Avenue Fertility

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
1045 5TH AVENUE
212.831.0430
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fifth Avenue Fertility to a friend?
6.4
1 doctor
I like that this clinic [Fifth Ave Fertility] takes an alternative approach to infertility. Communication is not great and there is no online system beyond email. The clinic itself is a bit dated and dark and is covered in pink carpeting — even in the exam rooms — so it doesn't feel that sanitary...$800 dollars for initial appointment. I believe that included the three months of email correspondence I had with them afterward, but I wasn't ever clear on what the prices and fees were.
Describe your experience with Fifth Avenue Fertility.
I like that this clinic takes an alternative approach to infertility. Communication is not great and there is no online system beyond email. The clinic itself is a bit dated and dark and is covered in pink carpeting — even in the exam rooms — so it doesn't feel that sanitary.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
The office was small and Dr. David asked me questions other doctors hadn’t. He looked to find and fix the problem instead of just putting me through a course of meds and procedures.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fifth Avenue Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Fung)
Most of the interaction with my nurse was through email — rarely a phone call. Her emails were mostly very short with little explanation about what my lab tests meant or what the next steps were. I often felt I had to email back and ask for clarification. The Practice Manager was a bit more responsive, but I still often felt left in the dark as to what was next. There were times that they didn't get back to my emails until I sent them another follow up or called them.
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
I made an appointment with Dr. David on a visit to New York after reading his book. (I'd been trying to get pregnant for about a year and a half with one failed IUI at a different clinic.) He met with my husband and me in his office and asked us a series of questions like, "How much do you exercise?" and "Do you keep your cellphone in your pocket." His approach is to try less invasive treatments and testing before moving on to IVF. He gave us poorly-copied booklets about things we could try like douching with baking soda and water two hours before intercourse or taking Mucinex. He told me that we needed to have missionary-style sex and I should stay laying on my back for 20 minutes after. He strongly suspected I may have been having multiple early miscarriages. (I've never had a positive pregnancy test and I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion.) Along with some other genetic testing, he decided to give me a blood thrombophilia test and prescribed a daily baby aspirin because of family history of heart disease. He also put my husband and myself on an antibiotic and tested my vaginal canal for bacteria. (The vaginal swab test was the next day.) When my husband and I checked out from our initial appointment to leave, the receptionist collected $800 for an hour's visit, and did not explain next steps. It's my fault for not asking what the initial consult fee was, but I guess I assumed it would have been in the $350 range (close to other clinics I visited). I headed home to the west coast with a paper copy of do-it-yourself, check-box lab orders that the doctor instructed me to make about 20 copies of. My husband and I followed the douching, the Mucinex, cutting back on exercise, and popping a daily asprin and continued to try to get pregnant. Over the next few months, following his nurse's emailed instructions, I would make a photocopy of the DIY lab order to test my progesterone or do a blood beta test. He prescribed Clomid for our last cycle with him which really bumped up my BBT during the follicular phase. After that, he told me I would need to work with someone locally to do an IUI with Letrozole. We didn't pay them any more than that initial $800, so I'm assuming that covered the three months of correspondence I had with them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
He's expensive. You'd probably get as much out of the appointment as you would reading his book.
Describe the protocols Sami David used in your cycles at Fifth Avenue Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. David prescribed me a daily baby aspirin because he suspected I may have a clotting issue based on family history of early heart disease. He also instructed me to use a baking soda douche and to lay on my back 20 for twenty minutes after sex. He prescribed oral antibiotics for my husband and myself in case we had an underlying infection. For our last cycle, he prescribed a round of Clomid.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
There were one or two times when I had to call [Fifth Ave Fertility] for my results instead of someone at the clinic calling me...The office is small and everyone knows your name and treats you kindly. Compared to my other experiences in different clinics, this was the most calm and private...Jessica is helpful and friendly. She has a good bedside manner and answers emails and calls punctually...This is a private practice with lots of personal attention. I would refer anyone here who is either committed to trying naturally before IVF, or someone older who has already tried IVF and needs a lot of one-on-one monitoring and guidance.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fifth Avenue Fertility.
The office is small and everyone knows your name and treats you kindly. Compared to my other experiences in different clinics, this was the most calm and private. Each time I visited, Dr. David sat with me and discussed current results or procedures. He takes as much time as is needed and has a reassuring, calm presence. I found that at the other clinics I visited, I often did not meet directly with the doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fifth Avenue Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
The main reason I went to see Dr. David is because of my unexplained infertility. I am 35 and my husband and I both checked out fine in all testing at our previous doctor's office. At the former practice, I asked if I could do an unmedicated IUI cycle but they declined and wanted to rush me into IVF immediately. Dr. David is extremely thorough, testing for many issues that other doctors ignore. He calls himself a fertility detective and I think that's a pretty accurate description. He performed a laparoscopy on me to handle scar tissue from my endometriosis and an ovarian cyst. During this procedure it was discovered that one of my fallopian tubes is extremely swollen - still functioning but questionable. Unfortunately Dr. David was not able to figure out why my tube was swollen. My husband and I really wanted to conceive naturally, but also did not want to wait years for this to happen. Dr. David was totally flexible and realistic in setting a timeline with us for how long we could continue to try naturally before moving to IVF. I did not get pregnant with Dr. David, however I do feel confident that I explored all possibilities of conceiving naturally and he prepared me mentally to move on to the next step of IVF.
Set a realistic time frame for yourself of how long you will continue to try with Dr. David's natural/less invasive methods before pursuing IVF.
Initially Dr. David did ultrasound monitoring to check on which side I was ovulating and to time the unmedicated IUI's for conception. It was important to me initially not to use drugs since I did not have compromised ovarian function. After a questionable HSG and consistent symptoms of endometriosis, I underwent a laparoscopy with Dr. David. It revealed I had stage 2-3 endo and a severely swollen fallopian tube. After this we started using Clomid to get my other ovary going, since I always seemed to ovulate on the side of my swollen tube. We used a low dose, which did get me to produce 2-3 eggs between both ovaries, however none resulted in pregnancy. Even though I used a low dose, I had unpleasant side effects from the Clomid, mainly hot flashes, and as we suspected my impaired tube could perhaps be inhibiting conception, we made the decision for me to move to a new doctor together.
Dr. David does not accept insurance, however 95% of costs were reimbursed by my insurance which covers IUI, laparoscopic surgery, and diagnostic tests.
Fifth Avenue Fertility
From the first interaction with staff [at Fifth Ave Fertility] over the phone I could tell this would be a quality experience, and that level of care and professionalism has remained over my months being seen... The initial consult fee is high ($800) however both my husband and I truly felt we got equal or greater value out of that visit...There may be quite a wait for the initial appointment, but once you get your medical documents (hard copies must be dropped off or mailed, but this only applies to your original intake documents) you will be placed on a wait list...
European, East Asian, Native American
Describe your experience with Fifth Avenue Fertility.
There may be quite a wait for the initial appointment, but once you get your medical documents (hard copies must be dropped off or mailed, but this only applies to your original intake documents) you will be placed on a wait list - in my case we ended up getting an appointment much, much sooner once all of the paperwork was in. It is out of pocket, so it really helps to have insurance coverage for infertility so that you can get reimbursed. The initial consult fee is high ($800) however both my husband and I truly felt we got equal or greater value out of that visit, even if we didn't have insurance reimbursement. So far other appointments have been $3-400 depending on what is done. It sounds steep, but if it prevents having to go the IVF route, it is essentially a huge savings.
From the first interaction with staff over the phone I could tell this would be a quality experience, and that level of care and professionalism has remained over my months being seen by Dr. David. Dr. David himself is warm and genuinely caring, and I never feel rushed. The nurse is extremely responsive, handles delicate matters with great care and goes above and beyond to address specific requests or needs.
Jessica has been amazing from the start. Discrete and has worked very hard for us. She works seamlessly with Dr. David to answer any questions, and clearly establish the plan for the next cycle. She goes above and beyond and I can't say enough positive things about my experience with her.
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
Dr. David provided an incredibly thorough intake of both me AND my husband. Dr. David was both to the point and encouraging, with excellent bedside manner. He found that my husband had not been thoroughly evaluated and referred him for additional testing at Cornell. While we are still undergoing treatment, both my husband and I feel we are in very good hands and are confident that for our specific objectives we are working with the best doctor in our area. Dr. David takes all of my concerns seriously, is non-judgmental, and supports patient empowerment and education. Further, he supports complementary medicine which other doctors either dismissed or were not well informed about, especially in relation to fertility.
If you are unable or unwilling to take a few cycles for exploration and diagnostics prior to moving on to IVF, this may not be the doctor for you (Dr. David would never hold a patient back from pursuing IVF but likes to pursue adequate diagnostics and lifestyle changes first) . Additionally, if making a broad range of lifestyle changes for both partners is not a good fit for your situation, you may want to think twice about this practice.
Semen analysis with cultures, followed by course of Cipro for husband Post-coital exams - measured vaginal pH, viewed sperm motility in cervical fluid Mucinex - 600mg 2x per day cycle days 9 through ovulation to thin cervical fluid Prednisone - 10mg on Cycle Day 9 - 13 to calm immune system/inflammation/natural killer cells Strongly encourages acupuncture and Chinese herbs along with treatment Many supplements prescribed to increase health of cell mitochondria for egg health
$800 - initial consult $3-400 - subsequent visits and testing
Immunological, Unexplained
This is a nice upscale clinic [Fifth Ave Fertility] and you do not feel like a number here. However they are short staffed and sometimes you dont get your results and information in a timely manner. It is also sometimes difficult to schedule appointments here since you are only seeing one doctor. What is nice is that they share the office space with an acupuncturist so you can easily schedule acupuncture before your IUI.
Immunological, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Fifth Avenue Fertility.
This is a nice upscale clinic and you do not feel like a number here. However they are short staffed and sometimes you dont get your results and information in a timely manner. It is also sometimes difficult to schedule appointments here since you are only seeing one doctor. What is nice is that they share the office space with an acupuncturist so you can easily schedule acupuncture before your IUI.
I felt like a human because I saw this doctor for every IUI. He was nice and kind but kind of old school. He is not accessible to talk to on the phone and requires you to come in to speak to him. His receptionist is the only that delivers you test results and pregnancy test results.
I barely saw the nurses since Dr. David did the blood tests himself. His secretary was the one calling/emailing me with medication instructions and blood/pregnancy test results.
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
Dr. David is a very old school dr who believes there is an underlying reason to why women cant get pregnant and he attempts to find those reasons. He said most women do not need IVF and "promised" he'd get me pregnant. This was appealing to me since at a young age no dr can explain why I couldent conceive naturally or with IUI and why I produced many embryos during IVF and they all arrested by day 4. I had horrible hyperstimulation my last IVF and decided I wanted to find a more natural doctor who can get to the bottom of this all. This doctor performed many kinds of testing ranging from immunological to environmental. All my testing came back normal except for slightly high immune levels (ANA) which he said hed treat with prednisone during my IUIs. He had me do baking soda douches and taking mucinex during natural and IUI cycles with him to help with cervical mucus. He definitely had interesting approaches but in the end nothing worked in my case. Ultimately he had no idea why his methods were not working and told me do attempt another IVF or to do an laparoscopy to check for endometriosis.
Be open minded to all his testing because some of it is useful and maybe you are one of the few that have a small issue that can be easily corrected with a baking soda douche! I would suggest trying no more than 3 cycles with him and then move on if he can't find a solution so you dont waste time like I did.
He used clomid for IUIs, baking soda douches and taking mucinex to help with cervical mucus, progesterone pills and prednisone for 7 days post IUI. He also suggested various vitamins and supplements.
This dr did not accept insurance so I had to pay for all my consults and IUI cycles as well as medications out of pocket. We spent around $7,000-$10,000 on medications that were not covered, tests that insurance didn't cover, and on his treatments.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Investor
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. David charged me $800 for an hour consultation. he rushed me through the call. He told me he thought I was pregnant at that moment and he knew because "he has populated whole cities" and made me go get a blood test, which was negative. He put me on a supplement called resveratol and that was the last contact I ever had with him, the rest was with nurses ordering me to have a bunch of unnecessary tests
On my initial call with Dr David, he gave me a list of tests to take. He never communicated that with anyone in his office. I had to call the nurses to schedule the tests. I also had to follow up to get the results. It was as if I was my own Dr, nurse and patient coordinator.
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
When I spoke to Dr. David, he was moving on to be a "consultant" and was closing his office, to the shock of even his office, who had no idea. He then changed his mind and decided to keep his office open, so I could have seen him at a very bad time. I felt like he was a salesman, bragging about his success records. He told me on one phone call without even reading my background that he thought i was getting pregnant every month and he could "save" it by adding progesterone. I found him to be highly irresponsible as a Dr.
I would not recommend him to anyone.
2010 - 2013
20 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Immunological, Unexplained
The only downside is sometimes the office staff [at Fifth Avenue Fertility] isn't great. It is a tiny office and stressful work, so they have staff turnover.
2010 - 2013
20 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Immunological, Unexplained
Dr. David is the kindest of doctors. He listens to you. He even intervened to do an IUI one day when the NP was supposed to do it, and he knew I did not like this NP. He is very very compassionate.
Compassion. And when one of the NPs wasn't working out because of lack of compassion, they got rid of her.
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
I could write pages about how brilliant Dr. David is. I got pregnant via an un medicated IUI at 45 and delivered a healthy baby at 46 thanks to him. He is unusual and treats the whole person along with immunological challenges such as natural killer cells. He also treats IUI as as important as IVF, very important for the over 42 crowd, since IVF doesn't work as well with older eggs, even the mini cycles dr. David is a proponent of. Very highly recommended doctor.
The only downside is sometimes the office staff isn't great. It is a tiny office and stressful work, so they have staff turnover. Call back and ask for what you need and you will get it. And see Angela Le for acupuncture, nutrition and details about how to navigate your fertility journey, she is a hidden gem.
Fifth Avenue Fertility
$800 initial consultations, $300 ultra sound, around $600 for UIU without ultra sound [at Fifth Avenue Fertility]...Admin stuff or main front desk person can be arrogant. You need to be prepared for her, especially with state of mind coming to these appointments. There is one or two other stuff members and they were all nice and professional...There is only one nurse, and she does the job. Very nice, polite and gentle.
Describe your experience with Fifth Avenue Fertility.
I liked that he did full diagnostics, exploring various treatments, not only looking into blood work tests.
There is only one nurse, and she does the job. Very nice, polite and gentle.
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
Dr Sami david is compassionate, experienced, very positive, detailed with diagnostics, but a little bit hesitant to explore and listen to the patient's suggestions/concerns that he hadn't encountered before.
Listen to his advices and try out all his suggestions, and quickly move on with his diagnostics.
$800 initial consultations, $300 ultra sound, around $600 for UIU without ultra sound.
Anovulation, Male Factor
I actually met him [Dr. David] only 1 or 2 times and met with his NP [at Fifth Avenue Fertility] every other time (she was great). I would have followed her somewhere else if she had a job after the office closed and then reopened. She was really patient, smart, understanding, and helpful.
Anovulation, Male Factor
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fifth Avenue Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kerry Chenausky)
She was amazing. I would have followed her somewhere else if she had a job after the office closed and then reopened. She was really patient, smart, understanding, and helpful.
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
He was very confident, I would say arrogant, and didn't seem so concerned with me as an individual patient. I actually met him only 1 or 2 times and met with his NP every other time (she was great). After I had a miscarriage, he called to talk to me, for the first time in a while, and then sent us a big bill for that call. He told us 2 weeks before he decided to close his office, via email, in the middle of a cycle with him, and then after we went through the process of switching to a new doctor, he wrote another email saying he decided to come back. He's also stubborn and had a very set way of how he wanted to handle things. In addition, he missed key information during his testing, which potentially led to a miscarriage.
Don't go to him.
2013
8 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Immunological, None, Other
[Fifth Avenue Fertility] doesn't take insurance, but when you consider the massive costs involved in advanced procedures, he is money well spent. Dr. David is supported by a small team.. Two or three people. They were phenomenal.
2013
8 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Immunological, None, Other
His office and team are fully in support of his patients and their process. Impeccable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fifth Avenue Fertility. (Assigned nurse: The whole team took care of us.. He has a small team.)
How was your experience with Sami David at Fifth Avenue Fertility?
Sami David is a true problem solver. We spent three years at another clinic (Columbia WRC), and had undiagnosed infertility. We first met with Dr. David in July of 2013. He discovered three minor fertility issues (two female factor, one male factor), that were easily addressed and we were pregnant that October. Most importantly, we felt that we could trust the process with him... He's not about procedures, he's about diagnostics. He doesn't take insurance, but when you consider the massive costs involved in advanced procedures, he is money well spent.
Congratulations.