Freyja Clinic

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
570 Price Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94063
650.701.1882
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Freyja Clinic to a friend?
Anovulation, Other
[The nursing staff at Freyja Clinic were] Kind and caring...All of the employees are very kind and attentive. The doctors are knowledgable, and the office is always clean and inviting. The draw back is they are pretty much always running late. It is very convenient as they have a small pharmacy and lab upstairs...She [Dr. Lillian Swiersz] was very by the book and clinical. Where sometimes each person has slightly different needs, but she is very knowledgable. explains things more then any other doctor I have worked with, which is very helpful. Maybe overly cautious of things.
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with Freyja Clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lillian Swiersz at Freyja Clinic?
She was personal and asked about me as a person and about my daughter. She shared details about her daughters as well.
Kind and caring.
What specific things went wrong at Freyja Clinic?
How was your experience with Lillian Swiersz at Freyja Clinic?
She was very by the book and clinical. Where sometimes each person has slightly different needs, but she is very knowledgable. explains things more then any other doctor I have worked with, which is very helpful. Maybe overly cautious of things.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lillian Swiersz at Freyja Clinic?
She can seem a little robotic, but she is nice.
Describe the protocols Lillian Swiersz used in your cycles at Freyja Clinic and their degree of success.
She listened to my history and suggested femara, because the clinic does not do clomid. I started the cycle, and she added estrogen because my lining was thin, and we did ultrasounds every few days to monitor. The follicle was growing very slow so she doubled the dosage of femara, and suggested a trigger shot when the follicle gets to 20mm, unfortunately it dropped before it got to 20mm. She also noticed some scar tissue in my uterus, and suggested having it removed if this cycle didn't result in a pregnancy, as it could prevent implementation. After confirmation via Sonohysterography, my regularOBGYN did the hysteroscopy to remove the scar tissue and polyps, so that is was covered under insurance.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lillian Swiersz at Freyja Clinic.
I do not have infertility insurance, but my insurance provider gave me a discount at the clinic which was very helpful!
Lillian Swiersz
Redwood City
{Freyja] front desk is hands down the worst I've ever dealt with - they were unsympathetic and uncaring. The clinic may bill itself as versed in infertility, but they will not educate you on options or will make assumptions...I was not assigned to a nurse or coordinator...know that if you are dealing with infertility, the waiting area at all times is overflowing with babies and toddlers... I never waited less than an hour - usually 1 1/2 hours.
Describe your experience with Freyja Clinic.
The single worst front desk with whom I've ever worked. They repeatedly botched my appointment times and outright lied to me when I called to ask how far behind the doctors were running. I never waited less than an hour - usually 1 1/2 hours. Hardly ever returned messages, never sent reminders to schedule annual checkups, and were completely unapologetic about delays. Also - if you are coming here for infertility reasons, they brought in a pediatrician to the practice. Before this happened, the waiting room was already replete with kids, but now there is no way to avoid them. If you are an infertility patient, please know you will be surrounded in the waiting room by kids and babies while you wait over an hour late for your appointment. What I did get in spades, though, was emailed advertising for their body sculpting services. I can't think of a single strength. Even the music they played was morose. I am at another clinic now where I am treated like a customer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Pravdin at Freyja Clinic?
Her front desk is hands down the worst I've ever dealt with - they were unsympathetic and uncaring. The clinic may bill itself as versed in infertility, but they will not educate you on options or will make assumptions.
I was not assigned to a nurse or coordinator.
What specific things went wrong at Freyja Clinic?
How was your experience with Mary Pravdin at Freyja Clinic?
Dr. Pravdin is no doubt experienced and knowledgeable as an OBGYN, but her bedside manner is cool and clinical, and she will not volunteer information beyond the most factual and literal responses to your questions. If there are questions you don't know to ask because you are not a medical professional, then she is not going to guess it for you or provide benefit of her extensive medical knowledge. She will professionally care for your OBGYN needs, but you must go in armed with the correct questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Pravdin at Freyja Clinic?
If you are having infertility issues, please please please get a consultation with a fertility clinic. There is no guarantee this clinic will give you all the information you need. Dr. Pravdin is fine for basic OBGYN care. Also, know that if you are dealing with infertility, the waiting area at all times is overflowing with babies and toddlers.
Describe the protocols Mary Pravdin used in your cycles at Freyja Clinic and their degree of success.
Surface-level discussion only. No specifics were provided.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Pravdin at Freyja Clinic.
Standard well woman care costs.
Mary Pravdin
2009 - 2011
6 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
The office [Freyja Clinic] is super chaotic, and his [Dr. Rydfors] appointments are almost never on time...Appointments were usually 60-120 minutes later than scheduled. I frequently spent more than 20-30 minutes waiting in my room once I was moved to a room...The nursing staff is fine, but the office is very disorganized. The individuals are very nice, but managing Dr. Rydfors' chaotic schedule has to be incredibly challenging, and appointments were always a problem. Eventually I learned to always call first to see what time I should actually show up (but then often couldn't get through to a person in the office).
2009 - 2011
6 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
Describe your experience with Freyja Clinic.
Dr. Rydfors is amazing, but the rest of his team is more mixed. The office is super chaotic, and his appointments are almost never on time. That said, he's worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
Dr. Rydfors has the best bedside manner of any doctor I've ever worked with. He saw me through four devastating miscarriages, and delivered my first son. He cares immensely.
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
He runs behind in his appointments, but that's because he spends all the time you need when he's with you. (He was running more than 3 hours late for our first appointment, and it's a credit to him that my husband still agreed we should work with him!) He cares a lot, and is very up to date on current science. He thinks creatively about your problems and will recommend other providers if he thinks that's your best course of action. He treated me for about 9 months (Femara + IUI, and Injectables + IUI), diagnosed my immunological issues and endometriosis, and recommended a clinic for IVF when it was clear I'd need to move onto IVF. He saw me through 4 devastating miscarriages (during IVF) and delivered my first son (through IVF).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
Schedule the first appointment in the morning so you're less likely to have to wait. And if you get pregnant, book all your appointments up front.
Describe the protocols Jan Rydfors used in your cycles at Freyja Clinic and their degree of success.
Femara (he prefers it to Clomid in every way) + IUI, Gonal-F + IUI. Intralipids for treating immunological issues.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic.
Insurance covered diagnostics and treatment with Dr. Rydfors.
Describe Jan Rydfors's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Freyja Clinic.
n/a - I didn't do IVF with Dr. Rydfors.
Redwood City
...Even more frustrating to deal with than the ones at UCSF. Unbelievable. Never answer the phone, don't always call back, patients don't get assigned to anyone in particular, hard to know if anyone's looking at your emails, no one person on top of your case, etc etc. So much time spent being on hold getting nowhere!
Dr Rydfors is really personable. Part of it is because he's Swedish and has a foreign air that is very charming. But mostly, I just felt like out of everyone I saw, he cared most about my actual well-being and cared how all this treatment was affecting me. On my first (and only) appointment, he went above and beyond, offering to perform an ultrasound free of charge when I was very insistent that I did not need yet another ultrasound. He said he felt it was important for a comprehensive and meaningful first visit and while I acquiesed, he discovered that I was already pregnant :) That's my kind of doctor!
It's hard to believe, but Dr Rydfors care team is even more frustrating to deal with than the ones at UCSF. Unbelievable. Never answer the phone, don't always call back, patients don't get assigned to anyone in particular, hard to know if anyone's looking at your emails, no one person on top of your case, etc etc. So much time spent being on hold getting nowhere!
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
I answered this question earlier.
He's has more alternative leanings than most fertility doctors (e.g., supports supplements, diet changes, minimal procedures, natural birth) and that's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you are open to it and are desparate to get pregnanat, I'd suggest going to see him for a consult if nothing else. It helps to get another opinion and you never know what you may learn. In my case, his suggestions on diet changes to help manage my PCOS has made so much difference.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Rydfors is incredible and makes you feel like you're the only patient he has. When it was necessary, he called me from home at night and on the weekends. When on vacation, he still kept tabs on my care.. Everyone in the office knew me and was invested in my experience.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
They knew what they were doing and were directed by Dr. Rydfors at all times. They were also very caring and invested.
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
I was DONE when I was convinced to go see Dr. Rydfors. I'd been told that IVF was my only option and that even that was iffy. Dr. R spent an hour with me at my first appointment, explaining to me what he thought the problem was. He even drew pictures. He was thought and convincing and was the first person who could actually tell me WHY I couldn't get pregnant. He went over a treatment plan with me and told me to give him three months. I was pregnant with twins two months later. Dr. R oversaw my entire pregnancy and delivered my twins. He was incredibly caring and involved the entire time. He's very good at what he does, and he's an amazing person.
Dr. Rydfors is often very behind on appointments. It's tough to deal with, but you come to realize that it's worth it. He gives every patient the time they need and deserve, and he makes it a point to deliver as many babies as he can.
2013 - 2014
They [Freyja staff] would make phone calls to insurance providers and other clinics to schedule same-day appointments. They would rush blood work so that I would be able to receive results that much sooner.
2013 - 2014
I definitely felt known to my doctor. She would ask me specific questions about my health and my recovery (I had a tube removed due to an ectopic pregnancy). She would reference my chart and know exactly how many eggs I produced last cycle on a certain regimen of fertility pills. At times, she would suggest that I visit her office more frequently than others to check on my ovaries during a cycle to see what the numbers were like and how many eggs were on a given side.
They remembered my name, most notably. They also would make phone calls to insurance providers and other clinics to schedule same-day appointments. They would rush blood work so that I would be able to receive results that much sooner.
What specific things went wrong at Freyja Clinic?
How was your experience with Mary Pravdin at Freyja Clinic?
Dr. Pravdin is a no-nonsense, straightforward physician. She cares deeply for her patients, and she communicates this care by seeking to provide them with the most accurate information she has. This means that she does not sugar-coat results; she tells it "like it is," but she does this so that her patients can get the results they want, to be pregnant. She remembers all of my past history, and makes recommendations on future treatment based on that information. I trust her with my fertility and I trusted her with the birth of my first child, a baby boy.
Remember that she is going to be direct! Don't expect to have your hand held and your back patted; she is going to give you the facts, straight up, no chaser.
Mary Pravdin
2009 - 2014
Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
[Dr. Rydfors] always responded to emails and was very patient and thorough with me. Although he may run late, once you are in with him he will give you his undivided attention for how ever long is necessary.
2009 - 2014
Endometriosis, PCOS, Immunological
Dr Ryfors empathized with me and my husband from day one as he and his wife also experienced infertility. He spent time on my case outside of regular office hours to give me the best treatment possible. He always responded to emails and was very patient and thorough with me.
Friendly
How was your experience with Jan Rydfors at Freyja Clinic?
A wonderful, knowledgable doctor who truly cares for his patients and is very empathetic and available.