Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
100 N Academy Ave
Danville, PA 17822
1.800.275.6401
1155 E Mountain Blvd
Wilkes Barre, PA 18702
1.800.275.6401
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 8Neutral: 2Don't recommend: 18.8
3 doctors
2014 - 2018
Clinic [Geisninger Medical Ctr] is clean and nice! It is in a great location. I have no complaints about the clinic. They run everything in a timely manner and the front desk staff is very friendly! I’m not sure what else to say about the clinic.... I absolutely LOVED all the nurses at dr zoma office!... Ivf package was $9,997 out of pocket. Cost had to be paid up front before any treatment was done. Medication was a separate cost that we had to pay for.
2014 - 2018
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Clinic is clean and nice! It is in a great location. I have no complaints about the clinic. They run everything in a timely manner and the front desk staff is very friendly! I’m not sure what else to say about the clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Willie Zoma at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
Nurses in the office are so wonderful and make you feel comfortable! Dr. Zoma is a great doctor but he was not a personable at times as I would had liked him to be.
I absolutely LOVED all the nurses at dr zoma office!
How was your experience with Willie Zoma at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
Dr. Zoma was sometimes very personable, very nice, and communicated well with us at our appointments. At other appointments I felt like he wasjust there because it was his job. It was a hit or miss.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Willie Zoma at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
I’m not sure
Describe the protocols Willie Zoma used in your cycles at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center and their degree of success.
My first treatment dr zoma wanted to try was IUI. We wanted to go the less expensive route first. After doing the insemination, dr zoma told us that my husbands sperm analysis showed that his sperm was not very mobile, meaning that the chances of iui working was slim. I felt very discouraged. We went back two weeks later after getting a negative pregnancy test. Dr zoma told us that he personally felt we would be wasting our time and money doing more iuis based on my husbands sperm analysis. He recommended we go straight to IVF w/ ICSI. We agreed and moved forward with the IVF process. Dr zoma recommended we do a fresh transfer with our IVF and freeze the remaining embryos. We transferred two day 5 embryos and it resulted in a negative pregnancy. We had 4 remaining embryos to freeze so we went back a few months later and did a frozen embryo transfer. We transferred two embryos and that resulted in a single pregnancy. Our son was born in may 2016 and is now a happy healthy 2 year old. We went back in June 2018 to use our remaining two frozen embryos. I followed the same protocol as my first FET but this time it did not work and my beta was negative.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Willie Zoma at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Danville
Normally they [nurses at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center] are great with getting back to u with results and things...but the last time we had an analysis done for my husband it felt like phone tag just to get the results...Don't really know what to say they over all seemed nice and of course u always have ones u like more then others but don't really have any complaints about any of them
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Not sure about other clinics but they require everything up front before they will let u continue and unfortunately if things don't go right ur just out the money strength they have a good doctor that is worth seeing
He really listens to what u have to say and he likes to make sure u understand what's going on and he tries to work with u so much better then my original fertility doctor
What specific things went wrong at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
He's really caring and works with u and makes sure u understand stand how things work and if u have thoughts and ideas he listens only thing that would be a negative would be he's not big on FMLA paperwork when I had my chemical pregnancy after the ivf he was very understanding and caring but would not sign papers or give me any pain meds I was informed everyone experiences it different otherwise I am very happy with him
Don't take offense to what he says he only tells you things if he thinks it will help /or hurt ur chances and some times the truth hurts but he's not mean about it he's just trying to help u , and he has an accent so u may have to concentrate a little sometimes on what he says but overall he's the best I've seen in my years of trying
I'm not really sure on this part I would say compared to the YouTube videos I would say it was the standard meds and procedures but it was over a year ago
Normally my insurance covered most of the things leading up to the procedure but but as far as it and the meds we paid a little over $13,000 it was 9,000 something for the procedure and 3,000plus for the meds plus anything that I ended up needing a refill
Danville
The strengths of the clinic [Geisinger Medical Ctr Fertility Ctr] are the knowledgeable and compassionate care of Dr. Gell. The clinic will open for you on Sundays and holidays if needed.... The team is committed to treatment that works for their patients and giving the best patient care is truly a priority.... Typical IVF cycle runs $9300-9800 before medication and billable office hours and testing.... Grace can be blunt but she is always gentle and very concerned with the comfort and care of her patients. She answers questions and phone calls promptly, and is always willing to answer more if needed.
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
The strengths of the clinic are the knowledgeable and compassionate care of Dr. Gell. The clinic will open for you on Sundays and holidays if needed. The only weaknesses and downsides we have experienced have been a lack of success but this lack of success was not a result of any lack of trying. The team is committed to treatment that works for their patients and giving the best patient care is truly a priority.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Gell at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
Doctor and staff took the time to answer any questions we had, got to know us on a personal level, and empathized with our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Grace)
How was your experience with Jennifer Gell at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
Dr. Gell is a knowledgeable and compassionate doctor who cares for her patients personally and professionally. She believes strongly that her treatment plan and course of action will succeed and does her best to transfer this hope to her patients. Nevertheless, she is not reluctant to offer a new treatment when others fail.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Gell used in your cycles at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Started with IVF with ICSI. Protocol was birth control pills, followed by Folstim, Menopur, and Ganirelix. Ultrasound and bloodwork used to monitor progress. Triggered with Ovidrel. Husband was treated at the same time with Clomid and Anastrozole for infertility by a different specialist. This protocol resulted in 11 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized with 2 used for third day transfer and one blast frozen. This resulted in positive pregnancy test and eventual miscarriage. Second protocol four months later started with Lupron and then added Folstim, triggered with Ovidrel. This resulted in 8 eggs, 4 fertilized, but none survived to blast for PGS. Third protocol for frozen transfer was Lupron and progesterone injections. Transfer did not result in positive pregnancy test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Gell at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
2012 - 2017
PCOS, Unexplained
This clinics only weakness is they [Geisinger Medical Center] are not open on the weekends and they do not do the ivf on site so you have to travel to Danville which cost even more money.... The nursin staff is pretty much just getting you checked in and explaining how the medications work and how to give the shots..etc. I’ve see. One nurse who has given me the ultrasound and took pictures for dr gell and she was passionate and caring
2012 - 2017
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
This clinics only weakness is they are not open on the weekends and they do not do the ivf on site so you have to travel to Danville which cost even more money. The only advice is to be persistent as it takes a while to get an appointment with her so make sure you plan ahead of ttc.
I felt like a human because dr gell will always sit down and talk to you about what’s going on with you as a person and than medically she would also discuss what was going on. She would try and be serious yet calming when telling you any kind of bad news. She asks if your okay periodically and to make sure she’s not hurting you. She has always been pretty straight forward with me. I have high hopes with her, just not in myself sometimes. She says I need ivf but it’s so expensive and I just can’t come up with the money to pay it all up front. She is great and has gotten my sister pregnant.
The nursin staff is pretty much just getting you checked in and explaining how the medications work and how to give the shots..etc. I’ve see. One nurse who has given me the ultrasound and took pictures for dr gell and she was passionate and caring😉
She is a understanding dr who is always trying to help her patients. She kind, caring,genuine, and honest! Always willing to sit down and discuss any of your concerns or fears! I feel extremely confident and comfortable with her as my ob and fertility dr! When she had to tell me after my you that it didn’t work she was very calm, collected, and soft. She asked me if I was ok seeing the hurt on my face, and she seemed upset as well. I truly believe she is an amazing person who can be as honest as she can with you, yet being caring at the same time. This is hard to find and I recommend her to a lot of people!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Gell at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
Make sure you ask questions. She is not a mind reader and will answer them if she can and if not she will call around and ask others to see if she can get you an answer.
We started with just trying to conceive with clomid but that was not working so she switched me to femara and that seemed to help the follicles grow but when I used the trigger shot I’m not sure if an egg released and we did that 2xs but I was not getting a possitive. So she did femara, follistem and the trigger for iui. I got another bfn. After that she asked that I conseder ivf. I have not been able to get the money for it as of yet.
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Everyone is very nice and compassionate. I don't recall ever having a bad experience with anyone at Dr Gell's practice [Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center]...Consultations are ~$400-600 if your insurance doesn't cover it. I believe it's on a sliding scale. IUIs cycles are ~$1200, out of pocket. The IUI itself is ~$375 which is what I paid since my insurance covered the ultrasounds and medications but not treatments. IVF is around $11,000, out of pocket. Medications are around $3,000 -$5,000.
2014 - 2017
European, East Asian
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Everyone is very nice and compassionate. I don't recall ever having a bad experience with anyone at Dr Gell's practice.
Dr Gell is always warm and friendly towards me but I didn't feel like her treatment plans and/or diagnosis process were tailored to the individual.
Very sweet, compassionate, and competent.
Dr Gell is a warm, caring doctor with an excellent bedside manner. She is honest and straight to the point without being insensitive. My only complaint is that I wish she focused more on testing and diagnosing the problem rather than just treatment. She also doesn't run standard CD3 blood tests (LH, FSH, AMH, E2) as part of her initial testing like most REs do. I actually had to go to my OB/GYN to get the tests done because she said she thought they were unnecessary (I disagree). I just don't understand diagnosing someone with unexplained infertility without performing simple blood tests which could provide some insight into the problem. After 3+ years of trying without a positive pregnancy test or an answer as to why, I don't feel like I should have to push for additional testing or information that's readily available. I don't feel comfortable moving on to expensive, invasive, treatments if there's more testing that can be done first. She's a great doctor but like with any doctor, I think it's important to do your own research and advocate for yourself. There is no exception here.
Do your own research and push for CD3 blood tests. There is no harm in educating yourself!
My first treatment plan was timed intercourse with Clomid. I did two cycles of this before moving on to IUI. She does not do ultrasounds during TI cycles but she does check your progesterone to see if you've ovulated. My second treatment plan was IUI, Clomid, and Novarel hCG trigger. I did 3 cycles of this without success. I had two ultrasounds during each cycle to monitor my follicles. She had me administer the trigger shot once my follicles reached around 18mm. IUIs followed 36 hours after the hCG trigger shot. She did not check my progesterone during IUI cycles. After 5 failed medicated cycles, she recommended I move on to IVF. She did not bring up injectable hormones or suggest that as an option. She said I responded well to Clomid and if that (IUI) didn't work then it was unlikely that it was going to. She said IVF will give us our best chances. She also said I could opt to do a laparoscopy to check for Endometriosis and/or scarring before moving on to IVF. She said she didn't think it was necessary but it was ultimately up to me. I decided to do the laparoscopy and she found some mild endo and was able to remove it during the procedure. Afterwards, she recommended that we try naturally for 6-12 months and if I'm still not pregnant then we should to IVF.
Describe Jennifer Gell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
2013 - 2016
[Geisinger Fertility Centers is] excellent, excellent, excellent. Runs on time, isn't in a city, so easy to access. Blood labs nearby, which helps. Clinic follows evidence-based practice, and they are just fantastic....They have an excellent financial person, Denise that lays out the payment plan. Costs about 10K with meds for one cycle of IVF. THey don't do package deals (like some places do where you get refunded if you don't get pregs etc). They have a cap for things like IUI if those aren't covered, so you always know how much out of pocket expense you might have.
2013 - 2016
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Runs on time, isn't in a city, so easy to access. Blood labs nearby, which helps. Clinic follows evidence-based practice, and they are just fantastic.
Excellent continuity of care, he knew who I was, who my husband was, and the nurses were excellent. The IVF coordinators took time with me, and were extremely kind, one nurse even cried with me when we struggled with empty follicle syndrome and had a hard first retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Ashley McHale and Charlene)
Excellent. The best care I have every received, anywhere. Clinic runs on time, is compassionate, excellent continuity, and I didn't have to "fight" for anything. I wish that all medical care was as good as this clinic.
Dr. Zoma is a cheerful, jovial, and at times, an abrupt provider. He provides evidence-based practice, and there is no doubt in my mind that his experience paired with him "sticking to science" is his greatest asset. He will take the time to answer questions you may have, but it is important to make sure you ask them, because he might not offer a lot of information otherwise. He was a terrific doctor, and I would not have wanted my care from anyone else.
Ask questions if you have them, he doesn't mind answering them and will take the time with you---but really only if you ask for it.
2013 - 2015
IUI with medications - $3,000 (estimate) IVF with medications - $10,000 ((estimate) Office visits - $25 per visit HSG...Easy to reach staff Good hours Resources available Great location...Always available for phone calls Offered plenty of advice and reassurance Helpful when showing how to use injections Offered many resources on where to get the injections from since insurance did not cover them
2013 - 2015
Easy to reach staff Good hours Resources available Great location
Dr. Gell took the time to go through both mine and my husband's history and really made us feel comfortable. She explained everything and made sure that we were comfortable with every plan.
Always available for phone calls Offered plenty of advice and reassurance Helpful when showing how to use injections Offered many resources on where to get the injections from since insurance did not cover them (cancelled due to pregnancy)
We could not be happier with Dr. Gell. She made sure that we understood every single piece of treatment and really listened to our concerns. When Clomid wasn't working, she changed treatment by adding metformin and starting the process to do an IUI. Fortunately, we were able to get pregnant on an "off" cycle prior to starting the IUI.
Be an advocate for yourself, but listen to what Dr. Gell offers, as well.
Clomid, starting at 50mg. No ovulation Clomid, 100mg. No ovulation Clomid, 150mg. No ovluation. Clomid 150mg plus metformin. No ovulation. Clomid 200mg plus metformin. Ovulation but low progesterone level. Continued metformin while preparing for IUI. Got pregnant on natural cycle after 3 months on metformin.
Clomid, out of pocket, not covered by insurance. Approximately 25-50$ per cycle. Metformim, covered my insurance. $0 per month. IUI with medications - $3,000 (estimate) IVF with medications - $10,000 ((estimate) Office visits - $25 per visit HSG - $0 after insurance Ultrasounds - $0 after insurance Bloodwork - roughly $125/month after insurance stopped covering due to "infertile" diagnosis
Wilkes Barre
Dr Gell and her entire staff [at Geisinger Wilkes Barre] always made me feel like I was the most important person ( not a patient) in their care. She was always kind and looked you right in the eye....Entire cost for all appointments and procedures including freezing if we had any left over eggs was 16,000....On time appointments. I never waited. Clean. They always remembered me even though there were so many couples going in and out. Phone calls back were prompt. They set me up with a very reasonable fertility med website which were extremely helpful.
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Dr Gell and her entire staff always made me feel like I was the most important person ( not a patient) in their care. She was always kind and looked you right in the eye.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember sorry!!)
Entire staff and especially my nurse was extremely compassionate kind gentle with my very broken down self.
Dr. Gell was involved from the first visit...the consultation. We were already through several it's and my husband and I decided that we wanted to go right for invitro. Dr. Gell explained everything. Went over each detail that was involved and what I was to expect from the initial examination to the day of transfer. The consultation is overwhelming usually but not with Dr. Gell. Everything was on a folder and explained in detail. She told what I needed to do to prepare my body for the procedure. After every visit I was told what to expect even though everything was already explained. She was so compassionate every time she talked to us. She was honest and upfront about the probability of conceiving. I felt safe when I was there like there is no one else's hands I would rather be in. The finances were explained in detail as well which helped tremendously going into it. I felt before I was paying all these separate small bills and never really knowing what they were for.
Listen to every word she says
I can't remember exact protocol. I was setup with injections to be given twice a day with an ultra sound every other day to monitor the growth. Then given another injection to mature the eggs and then the retrieval was scheduled. The did an egg retrieval and 5 days later they transferred the eggs with a small doses of valium to relax the cervix. Told to stay on bed rest for 2 days. I than began 3 vaginal inserts of progesterone a day. This was the best option for me because we were unexplained.
Entire cost for all appointments and procedures including freezing if we had any left over eggs was 16,000.00
PCOS, Other
They [Geisinger Med Ctr] are very respectful and efficient with returning calls. As of now I see no weaknesses with the clinic. Everyone was just wonderful.the atmosphere is very calm and quiet and I felt comfortable there.... [nursing staff] were very very nice and having the issues I have they were very compassionate.... She [Dr. Gell] explained everything she planned on doing. She explained every test and procedure and possible medication that I may have to do. She was just incredible.
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
They are very respectful and efficient with returning calls. As of now I see no weaknesses with the clinic. Everyone was just wonderful.the atmosphere is very calm and quiet and I felt comfortable there.
She explained everything she planned on doing. She explained every test and procedure and possible medication that I may have to do. She was just incredible. I never once felt overwhelmed with any of the information she was giving me.
They were very very nice and having the issues I have they were very compassionate.
She broke down every test she was doing bloodwork for. I had 2 hsg done and she explained the purpose of it and each step along the way. I just had a polyp removed and she came in and checked led to make sure I was ok and even afterwards had such compassion. I've never had a procedure done where I needed to go under general anesthesia and she walked me thru the whole process.
Just stay optimistic. She takes every one of your concerns and questions into consideration. She is very easy to talk to.
She performed 2 hsg and one that she described as a d&c. I had 2 miscarriages and she was the only one that looked further into it.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
I spoke with her [Dr Weil at Geisinger Fertility Center] at my initial appointment and she seemed detail oriented. I followed through with the nurse from then on out. In 6 months I saw her 2x....She seemed eager to push IVF even tho insurance covered iui she didn't mention it. She said chances are still slim using iui. I have previous children so was not jumping into an out of pocket expense when my insurance covered the iui. It was worth a try until I learned of their package deals you must buy. Also with Geisinger you are forced to pay an up front package deal, even if insurance covers. I think it was 1,300 per iui, not counting medication.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Easy scheduling, always got in quickly. Very little wait time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stacie Weil at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
I spoke with her at my initial appointment and she seemed detail oriented. I followed through with the nurse from then on out. In 6 months I saw her 2x.
Very knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Stacie Weil at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stacie Weil at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center?
Ask all questions at inital appointment because from then on you will see the nurse most likely.
Describe the protocols Stacie Weil used in your cycles at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Clomid was used, asked about femera but was told they use clomid. I was also doing a trigger shot. She would have me trigger when follicles were too small. I never got to go back and check size before th trigger.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stacie Weil at Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Insurance paid, i am not sure
Stacie Weil
Wilkes Barre
Easy to schedule, easy to access. The clinic [Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center] is on Geisinger's main campus, so blood work and other procedures are easily completed in one place.... Wonderful. They [the nurses] often reiterated information given by Dr. Zoma to make sure I had a clear understanding.... If you are a person who expects compassion and a warm bedside manner, perhaps look elsewhere for treatment. He can be difficult to understand, so take notes and listen closely.
Describe your experience with Geisinger Medical Center Fertility Center.
Easy to schedule, easy to access. The clinic is on Geisinger's main campus, so blood work and other procedures are easily completed in one place.
Dr. Zoma's communication style is very blunt and to the point, which did not mesh well with my expectations. He often spoke to and explained things directly to my husband, not to me.
Wonderful. They often reiterated information given by Dr. Zoma to make sure I had a clear understanding.
Dr. Zoma is clearly very educated in his field, but in my opinion, lacks compassion and empathy in a field that is full of emotional ups and downs for patients and their partners. After three failed rounds of Clomid/Provera and timed intercourse, I needed to pause my treatment for personal reasons. During my last appointment to establish an interim plan until I was ready to come back, Dr. Zoma was cold and seemed bothered that I needed to take a break from treatment. He spoke directly to my husband about my ovaries, my period, etc. I did not feel heard.
Everything was covered by my insurance.