6010 Bay Parkway
Staten Island
1855 Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314
718-283-8601

We started at Genesis [with Dr. David Kulak] after 3 months of letrozole with timed intercourse and 12 months of unprotected relations. Gensis did extensive bloodwork on both me and my husband in the beginning, as well as a sonogram and a hysterosalpingogram. We went straight to 3 injectable IUI's using Follistim and Ovidrel. The first IUI cycle was stimmed for approximately 8 days using Follistim. Our dosage decreased overtime from 75, to 50, to 62.50 every other day. We triggered with Ovidrel 250 units on cycle day 12.
How was your experience with David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
We were under the direct care of Dr Kulak for nearly a year. In this time we we underwent several rounds each of clomid and injectable IUIs and a few rounds of IVF, all unsuccessful attempts. We had carefully chosen Genesis primary for the following reasons: they were in-network and they were less than a mile from our house. Our cousins had gone through IVF at another clinic and had mentioned the daunting treks they went through every morning and how their doctors had poor bedside manners. We hoped for the best and were pleasantly surprised when we found that not only was Dr Kulak tremendously patient and kind, he was also very supportive throughout the process. One IVF cycle had to be cancelled and he moved mountains to clear a room so we could convert it into an IUI same day. Another time he went out of his way for us was around the point of 6 failed attempts. My husband had trouble making a sample and it caused a huge fight between us since as everyone who goes through this process knows everything is timed exactly to the minute. When we hadn't shown up for our IUI due to my husband, the doctor called to mediate (yes, no joke) and help us find another solution. Dr Kulak is young, approachable, and generally very warm. After a year at this clinic we decided to leave to get a second opinion as he didn't haven't much experience with patients with unexplained infertility but we still have positive feelings toward the clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
He comes across as spaced out because his nature is to be very calm and relaxed. Don't fret, he's a genius. And don't be afraid to ask questions- he will even send you research and statistics if you request it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Every patient at Genesis is considered like a family member of the staff. Not only did the nurses and doctors ALWAYS remember our names, nicknames, etc., but the phlebotomist nurses always seek to find positive things to talk about with patients. This was especially helpful for me as I was deathly afraid of needles. Knowing I had a phlebotomist who was kind and trustworthy made the process that much easier.
Describe the protocols David Kulak used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We started at Genesis after 3 months of letrozole with timed intercourse and 12 months of unprotected relations. Gensis did extensive bloodwork on both me and my husband in the beginning, as well as a sonogram and a hysterosalpingogram. We went straight to 3 injectable IUI's using Follistim and Ovidrel. The first IUI cycle was stimmed for approximately 8 days using Follistim. Our dosage decreased overtime from 75, to 50, to 62.50 every other day. We triggered with Ovidrel 250 units on cycle day 12. The IUI was performed was on 8/17/17 using a fresh sample and we had 3 follicles, 19, 13, and 10.5. We then used 50mg progesterone bullet suppositories. Our second IUI was stimmed for 7 days using Follistim 75 units then triggered with Ovidrel 250 units on cycle day 12. The IUI was performed was performed on 9/13/17 using a fresh sample and we had one follicle at 17. We then used 50mg progesterone bullet suppositories. For our third IUI, the doctor tried adjusting our dosage, again using Follistim. Our dosages were 75, 87.5, and then 100. We triggered with 250 units of Ovidrel. The IUI was performed on 10/11/17 with a fresh sample and we had two follicles, one at 15.5 and one at 14. We then used 50mg progesterone bullet suppositories. The following month while prepping for IVF we leveraged Clomid (50 units) and practiced time intercourse. We got 4 follicles, 18, 13, 9.5, and 10.5. Our first round of Fresh Cycle IVF began on 11/15.The cycle started with 200 Follistim and consistent 75 units of Menopur. Our Follistim dosage increased every other day by 50 units of until we ended at 350. This cycle was cancelled due to generating only about just one follicle at 16 with several 10 or under. Needless to day, we converted to IUI. After approximately 12 days of Follistim, Menopur, and Citrotide, we triggered. Our dosage for Follistim began at 350ui, menopur 150 units. Almost every other day the doctor requested us to change our dosage. For example, 12/22 we started at 350 Follistim, on 12/24 we went down to 275, and then on 12/25 we jumped back to 300. We came in for blood work 3 times in the first week of stims and daily the week leading up to trigger. At the final scan, we generated 19 follicles, with 4 of them mature (18-21.5 size). Our retrieval produced 18 eggs and 11 fertilized. We did a 5 day freeze transfer and found out that they performed ICSI on 8 of the embryos. We put in two embryos (5AA and 5BA) and chose to froze the remaining which were 4AB, 4BA, 3BB, 3BB, and 2BB according to their grading system. Afterwards we used progesterone suppositories 200mg and took green estradiol until our blood test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Luchia)
Overall the nursing staff at Genesis is superb. They are warm, conscientious, and professional. Luchia (IUI nurse) and Joanne (IVF lead) stood out the most for us in our time at there. Luchia stayed late to help us figure out a last minute solution for one of our almost missed IUIs. She is sweet and has a nurturing demeanor which I appreciated greatly. Joanne was our main point of contact once we began IVF. She conducted a private course for me and my husband on a Sunday (her day off) and even stayed to answer questions we both had and walk him through mixing the injections. She is an all-star nurse! We did have one negative experience with one of the nurses, Nelli, which we did report to the doctor. In performing the IUI procedure she "shoved" the catheter inside of me without even looking. I mentioned it hadn't felt like that in the previous IUI's and she screamed at me to shut up. It's possible it is her personality, but I have also witnessed her aggressiveness with other patients. I would recommend to any potential patients to request NOT to have her on their team to avoid the unprofessional attitude.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Genesis' greatest strength is the demeanor of its staff. From the front desk to the assistant coordinators, most staff members are very pleasant, outgoing, and friendly to all. The point of contention we found with the clinic was that they had not had much experience with couples with our diagnosis of unexplained infertility. It would suit them well to hire a doctor with this expertise to best cater toward their patients needs.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Monitoring appointments are mornings 7-8 AM and are literally a scene of herded cattle. Genesis does not have enough seating room for their patients which leads several patients to sit on the floor in the hallway until their name is called. Patients are called on a first-come basis.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Since fertility treatments are covered (somewhat) by my insurance, we luckily did not have to pay an-arm-and-a-leg. We did however get large bills of 500-1,000 dollars at a time. Genesis has a rule in place that prevents any patient from going into the clinic (for even monitoring) unless their full balance is paid.
Describe David Kulak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Our doctor did not consult us prior to the day of the transfer regarding the number of embryos we would transfer. When the day came around we told them we'd like to put in 2 and he strongly advised against it due to potential complications. The clinic in general only allows 1 embryo transfer at a time as they are a proponent of singleton pregnancies, which I guess is where their greatest success comes from.
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Overall we had a very positive experience at Genesis. However when we moved on to IVF, the IVF nurses were not readily available. Instead, all of their calls were mostly screened by their assistant, Toby. She has a rough-around-the-edges attitude which made it somewhat impossible to get our questions answered at times so we ended up just emailing the doctor directly. Toby also was very slow in sending prescriptions to pharmacies, which resulted in 4 cycles of us having to start by borrowing medication from the clinic since she did not call in the prescriptions in time.
David Kulak
Brooklyn

Most of my cycles [with Dr. Melzer Ross] were without any treatment - just monitoring and then a canceled cycle. I did one Clomid cycle which resulted in a “maybe” mature enough follicle on the side that’s not blocked but that cycle did not work...I had 5 canceled IUI cycles because I ovulated on my blocked side. She seemed bothered with answering my questions and explaining what had happened when I had “leftover follicles” on the side they told me I had no follicles in the previous month.
The monitoring staff [at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] were nice, but the nurses that called with results were pretty rude most if the time and did not show any compassion whatsoever. They had no explanations as to why my cycle was canceled month after month. It’s just “what the doctor decided”. The nurse they did my one IUI was nice, but she was the exception...I think the doctors have a lot of knowledge and seem to care initially but there’s no follow up or guidance. In my case procedures were only changed because I asked what I can do next
How was your experience with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Initial she was very encouraging and engaged. But I’ve the diagnosis was done she didn’t seem to care much about anything. The nurses did everything. From monitoring to calling and the IUI itself. Dr Ross was available by email but seemed annoyed with answering questions. In the end she didn’t seem to care about the outcome or adjusting my treatments although I had diminished ovarian reserve so clearly time was an issue.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Don’t expect to see your doctor during treatments. When you go for monitoring in that main office, make sure you know how many people are ahead of you. They are very unorganized and skipped me twice because the receptionist crossed me off the list before I was seen
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Especially during the first visit Dr Ross was very warm and welcoming. She explained the procedures well and made sure I understood everything. Over time she sheeted to get more annoyed with treating me. I had 5 canceled IUI cycles because I ovulated on my blocked side. She seemed bothered with answering my questions and explaining what had happened when I had “leftover follicles” on the side they told me I had no follicles in the previous month.
Describe the protocols Katherine Melzer Ross used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Most of my cycles were without any treatment - just monitoring and then a canceled cycle. I did one Clomid cycle which resulted in a “maybe” mature enough follicle on the side that’s not blocked but that cycle did not work.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The monitoring staff were nice, but the nurses that called with results were pretty rude most if the time and did not show any compassion whatsoever. They had no explanations as to why my cycle was canceled month after month. It’s just “what the doctor decided”. The nurse they did my one IUI was nice, but she was the exception
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
During monitoring you won’t get any information. They won’t even let you look at the monitor - nor the print outs. Everything is a big secret until the nurse calls you later in the afternoon. The main location seemed fault unorganized at times during monitoring hours and they could benefit from a receptionist that’s a bit more on top of things - especially on the weekends. I think the doctors have a lot of knowledge and seem to care initially but there’s no follow up or guidance. In my case procedures were only changed because I asked what I can do next
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I think an IUI was about $700 My insurance covered the dr visits and monitoring
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
I had several canceled cycles but one in particular seemed odd. My previous cycle was cancelled because there were only follicles on my blocked side. However the next cycle had leftover follicles in the side that wasn’t blocked. This just didn’t make sense to me. When I asked the doctor she laughed and said she doesn’t know what happened.
Katherine Melzer Ross

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I loved the nursing staff [at Genesis Fertility]. There were two IVF nurses who did the phone calls daily and would answer questions - they were usually pretty good about calling back if you had a question. The monitoring nurses were really great - very friendly, and really gave me the feeling they were rooting for me...Dr. Grazi had a strange communication style, which I found a bit creepy and inappropriate. I also got the impression that he didn't really listen to my questions all that well - he would often interrupt mid-sentence, which, as a professional woman fairly senior in my career, I found very irritating. Also, he did 3 rounds of IUI, and then only after that told me that because of my age, IUI is very unlikely to be successful -- he didn't have a good answer to why he had me do 3 rounds of IUI instead of going right to IVF.
How was your experience with Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
See if you get the feeling that he's not listening, and if so, get the heck out of there.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
The nurses and front desk staff are very attuned to the patients and know everyone by name. I LOVED the nurses especially.
Describe the protocols Richard Grazi used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I've tossed my notes already, but I remember the nurses telling me that the dose for the ovarian stimulation was lower than average (based on how the body reacted). One thing I noticed was the dose on the 2nd round was lower than on the first, and the number of eggs retrieved was much smaller, and there were no viable blastocysts from the 2nd retrieval.
I loved the nursing staff. There were two IVF nurses who did the phone calls daily and would answer questions - they were usually pretty good about calling back if you had a question. The monitoring nurses were really great - very friendly, and really gave me the feeling they were rooting for me.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I understand that some clinics have long wait times. I only had one visit out of dozens where I had to wait more than 15 minutes. Weekend monitoring gets a bit busy, but even then they usually have you in and out of there.
It helped that they have two locations for monitoring, and you could go to either one. I never waited longer than 15 minutes for monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
They have two different cost schedules - one is for patients covered by insurance, and the other is for self-pay. The self-pay is HIGHER, which we found out when we hit our maximum on the insurance coverage after only 1 round of IVF. 1 round, including medications, clocked in at $20k.
Describe Richard Grazi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I had a strong preference for single embryo transfer and he seemed fine with that.

2013, Unsuccessful
The doctor [Dr. Grazi] was not very warm however seemed optimistic. He had his nurses perform the IUIs and I had to make an appointment with him to find out why he think it failed. He was not very communicative...He did not adjust treatments at all and did the same thing over and over and recommended IVF after 3 failed IUIs instead of trying to find out why they failed...You only communicate with this doctor when your treatment has failed.
The nurse [at Genesis] dropped my husbands sperm sample before our IUI. She stated it was no big deal and proceeded to do the IUI. I did not get phone calls of my results in a timely manner. I had to call constantly to get results and they would often not call back till a day or two later...This clinic is a cattle call. You will not receive any personal or one on one attention. I felt very empty here..There was only one nurse who was kind and compassionate.
You only communicate with this doctor when your treatment has failed. He does not perform the IUIs, the nurses do which I really did not like. He did not adjust treatments at all and did the same thing over and over and recommended IVF after 3 failed IUIs instead of trying to find out why they failed.
Dont expect too much from this doctor. Dont expect to see him or be treated by him often. You need to be your own advocate.
The office was a cattle call like experience. The doctor was not very warm however seemed optimistic. He had his nurses perform the IUIs and I had to make an appointment with him to find out why he think it failed. He was not very communicative.
I did 3 IUIs with this doctor. He recommended letrozole each time and was not open to trying clomid. He did not change up the next cycle after a failed one which I found disappointing. He recommended IVF instead of doing further testing.
There was only one nurse who was kind and compassionate. Toby was very blunt and cold and made me feel uncomfortable during my IUIs. Another nurse dropped my husbands sperm sample on the floor and still proceeded to do the IUI!
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is a cattle call. You will not receive any personal or one on one attention. I felt very empty here especially since this was when I was first starting out in my infertility journey. Maybe there are newer doctors there that are more involved in patient care but Dr. Grazi was not one of them.
We did 3 IUIs with this dr. We did back to back IUIs those cycles. Insurance covered one and we paid $400 for the second one. In total we probably paid around a few thousand for out of pocket IUIS, recombine testing, and copays.
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
The nurse dropped my husbands sperm sample before our IUI. She stated it was no big deal and proceeded to do the IUI. I did not get phone calls of my results in a timely manner. I had to call constantly to get results and they would often not call back till a day or two later.
2005 - 2010, Successful
He [Dr Richard Grazi] was a little creepy. Hugged me when I didn't need to be hugged. I didn't feel it was appropriate. But I think it was his way of being "warm". I never understood his way of speaking....
I was recognized by the staff [at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] there which was nice. Some of them even knew my by name. When I needed to get someone on the phone I was always successful...Billing dept is famous for being horrible human beings They also were very unhelpful when my insurance company (Oxford) didn't acknowledge that a woman under 21 would need fertility meds- so I had to pay for medication out of pocket !!
He was a little creepy. Hugged me when I didn't need to be hugged. I didn't feel it was appropriate. But I think it was his way of being "warm". I never understood his way of speaking.
Be patient
I was recongnized by the staff there which was nice. Some of them even knew my by name. When I needed to get someone on the phone I was always successful
Follistim wth iui Post coital tests Hsg scans Injectables class which was nice
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Irene )
She was better than the dr! She called every afternoon with instructions for that day.. If I had any questions I asked her.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I had private insurance but my medication wasn't covered because I was under 21 and my insurance company didn't cover minors since they didn't think it was a necessity despite the letter my doctor wrote. So I had to pay out of pocket for medication. All else was covered.
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
I've had times when I had to call them and ask where my blood results/instructions were. It was late in the day, maybe I was on the bottom of their list of patients to call