6010 Bay Parkway
Staten Island
1855 Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314
718-283-8601

Dr. Ross took the time to respond to emails I sent her with questions or concerns. She also called me a number of times during the cycle to explain what to expect on an egg retrieval and called me both times personally to tell me the results of the PGS testing.... My frustration though was that I never saw her ONCE after the initial consultations to start IVF. I did most of my monitoring at Genesis in Staten Island where I saw a nurse practitioner for ultrasound and bloodwork.
Clinic was clean and organized. Weekday monitoring was available in Staten Island also which was more convenient to us in NJ. First come, first serve on the monitoring, so my husband and I would get there early so that we didn't have to wait. We weren't in there more than a half hour every monitoring.... Genesis offered a military discount of 25% which helped since we had no fertility coverage. Cost of an IVF w discount was approximately $3500.
How was your experience with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Ross is a very compassionate, caring doctor. My husband and I were very impressed with her from the start. My frustration though was that I never saw her ONCE after the initial consultations to start IVF. I did most of my monitoring at Genesis in Staten Island where I saw a nurse practitioner for ultrasound and bloodwork. I went to Brooklyn Surgery Center for 2 egg retrievals in which 2 different doctors performed them and not Dr Ross. Although I really liked Dr Ross, I felt like I never saw her for any of the treatment. I greatly appreciated her taking the time to respond to emails and call me but I would have liked to actually see her...particularly to perform the retrievals. If I did IVF again, I am not sure I would go to Genesis due to this. We live in NJ so we had to drive to Staten Island and Brooklyn for all the monitoring and retrievals. So not sure it was worth it in the long run for all that driving to never see the doctor we chose in the first place.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Don't expect her to do all your retrievals, if any. Not sure if she would be the one doing the transfer, as we sadly never made it to that step.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Katherine Melzer Ross used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr Ross had me do mini IVF ( low stimulation) cycles. She chose this due to my age and diminished ovarian reserve along with us paying all of the IVF costs out of pocket. She had me on 100 mg of Clomid daily and 150 IU of Menopur every other day on the first cycle. After only getting 2 follicles, and ending up retrieving only 1 egg on the first cycle, she upped the Menopur to 150 IU daily for round 2.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I wish that I had a primary nurse coordinator as I know they have at other fertility clinics. The nurses were all very nice over the phone but my daily call with instructions was from different nurses.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic was clean and organized. Weekday monitoring was available in Staten Island also which was more convenient to us in NJ. First come, first serve on the monitoring, so my husband and I would get there early so that we didn't have to wait. We weren't in there more than a half hour every monitoring. We didnt really go to the Genesis Bayside office other than 1 weekend monitoring and the initial consultation and IVF training.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Well oiled machine. First come, first serve. Went to Staten Island for all but one monitoring session that fell on the weekend.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Genesis offered a military discount of 25% which helped since we had no fertility coverage. Cost of an IVF w discount was approximately $3500. If we had at least 3 cycles, then one transfer was included. Retrieval was done at the Brooklyn Surgery Center in the same building as Genesis Bayside Parkway office. The cost to the Surgery Center was $1000 per retrieval. We also did PGS testing where there was a one time laboratory cost of $1875 (after discount) and the genetic lab charged $250 per embryo plus shipping
Describe Katherine Melzer Ross's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Ross stated that she would only transfer one embryo if we PGS tested, which we did due to having recurrent miscarriage due to chromosonal abnormalities.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Katherine Melzer Ross] was very kind, attentive, and personable. She is very knowledgeable and great at explaining things. She diagnosed an issue others had missed, and was flexible in her approach...Did unmedicated IUI, did medicated IUI with letrozole and trigger, and eventually did one round of IVF...Dr. Ross read my chart before I came in and followed up personally on certain test results.
Did unmedicated IUI, did medicated IUI with letrozole and trigger, and eventually did one round of IVF [at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine]...It is really hit or miss [with the nurses], and there seems to be a lot of turnover. The nurse I saw for monitoring most times was amazing, remembered me, was gentle, kind, rooting for me. Other nurses, including some who did IUI, didn't remember me at all, were rough, said rude things, or didn't communicate well.
She was very kind, attentive, and personable. She is very knowledgeable and great at explaining things. She diagnosed an issue others had missed, and was flexible in her approach. Not a weakness of hers but while she was out on leave, her replacement was not my favorite doctor, and this doctor ended up performing significant portions of my treatment.
Just understand the schedule of all the offices, and despite the satellite offices, understand how much time you will be forced to go to the main office.
I was really impressed by the demeanor of the doctors, and that Dr. Ross read my chart before I came in and followed up personally on certain test results. Ultimately though, I still felt like I was a number and that they just had a protocol that they follow with everyone, especially when Dr. Ross was out.
It is really hit or miss, and there seems to be a lot of turnover. The nurse I saw for monitoring most times was amazing, remembered me, was gentle, kind, rooting for me. Other nurses, including some who did IUI, didn't remember me at all, were rough, said rude things, or didn't communicate well.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The satellite clinics can make monitoring easier. The main doctors are really kind and thoughtful people, who seem to really listen and take the time for you. It can be a grueling process and when you actually see the doctors, it's always a good experience. The nurses are hit or miss, and I ended up having to spend a lot of time going to the main office, which was a big commute for me. I don't feel that my IVF retrieval cycle was handled in the best way possible, but it was a new doctor subbing in, so hopefully she is no longer with the practice.
Some days it was packed and others it was calm and just me. This could definitely be done better. It was also up to patients to track their place in line, ect - which works with some people and not with others.
IUIs ranged from 3000-5000 depending on protocol they quoted something like 12000 for a round of IVF (plus meds) but in reality it was way more out of pocket for the whole process
An issue for me was that I think two different doctors handling my care had different thoughts, Dr. Ross suggested multiple, while a doctor that actually did my transfer suggested only one. In the future, I plan to move forward with two, as was Ross's original advice.
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I have received conflicting information from different nurses or had to follow-up because some information was unclear. There were a few times when medication was called in to the wrong place or there wasn't a discussion of where it should be sent.
Brooklyn

Very personal care. Doctor [Melzer Ross] was genuinely hopeful for a good outcome. Responsive to emails, answered all questions...She is honest and caring, tried to help us an any way she could. Easy to communicate with, responsive to emails, etc. She offered both medical and moral support through this tiring process. If you are looking for a doctor that's compassionate and trustworthy, I'd highly recommend her.
Clinic [Genesis] is small compared to some to the others in the city, so there is a feeling of personalized care (even in the billing department). Waiting area is comfortable. Sometimes the reception area at the main location was a bit disorganized. Monitoring is done by technicians, not the doctors. Very friendly, supportive atmosphere all around....[nurses] So friendly and compassionate. Answered my questions in a timely manner.
Bring all your questions, she will consider them and answer the ones that she can. She is extremely supportive and will take time with you each visit.If you have been down the IVF road before and still have not had success, and are interested in any "experimental" treatments or immunological testing, you will need to be referred elsewhere. She practices evidence-based medicine.
Very personal care. Doctor was genuinely hopeful for a good outcome. Responsive to emails, answered all questions.
IUI- Used Letrozole and Clomid. Clomid produces several follicles, whereas letrozole produced one. IVF-Used antagonist protocol and agonist (lupron) protocol. Agonist produced more mature eggs. Medications were adjusted throughout cycle depending on blood work results.
So friendly and compassionate. Answered my questions in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is small compared to some to the others in the city, so there is a feeling of personalized care (even in the billing department). Waiting area is comfortable. Sometimes the reception area at the main location was a bit disorganized. Monitoring is done by technicians, not the doctors. Very friendly, supportive atmosphere all around.
Normally didn't have to wait too long. On weekends, the wait time was always much longer.
IVF cycles (without meds) around $10,000. They participated in the NYS IVF Grant program.
We went over the recommendations for number of embryos to be transferred based on age.
2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Richard Grazi] generally preferred single transfers so that if something went wrong on the maternal end, more than one embryo would not be lost. Also because he didn’t prefer to put patients in the situation of carrying multiples...He’s the kindest and most understanding doctor you could want. He routinely reminded me to balance treatments with other areas of life that brought joy, asked about my grandmother repeatedly when I told him she was sick, etc. When we eventually celebrate the birth of a daughter who was conceived outside of his care, he was so happy for us.
advocate for yourself with the clinic [Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine]!...Some of the nurses were amazing, sensitive and I always felt they were cheering me on, identifying with my situation, etc. Others knew the medicine well, but they were less helpful with answering questions or handling it when I was stressed / upset. One (Irene) was particularly frustrating in her mannerisms because she treated my husband like an outsider, saying he asked too many questions and he should go online to read more info. In the end, she was nice to me, but we tried to avoid her mostly.
How was your experience with Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
He’s so kind, thoughtful, and gentle. He seems very knowledgeable about medicine and caught 3/4 of my diagnoses right away on the first visit. Even when we went for 3 other opinions, everyone agreed with his course of treatment (even though it wasn’t successful).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Enjoy the best bedside manner you’ll ever receive! But advocate for yourself with the clinic!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I thought Dr Grazi was excellent, but some members of the nursing staff had some improvements to make. The billing / admin department seemed disorganized. The lab didn’t get me the results I wanted. And the surgical center they used in the building was a disaster - truly a terrible experience. (Rude and insensitive OR staff, couldn’t supply a Tylenol after retrieval because they couldn’t find any - in short, the surgical center was totally unprofessional.)
The hours were increasingly early due to short staffing & running multiple monitoring satellite locations. Wait times in the satellite were typically short. Sometimes doors were locked and no one answered the phone, or I missed my chance for monitoring if I arrived too close to the end of the window. At one point, the monitoring hours changed but no one informed me. Sunday monitoring at the main office generally had a long wait time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Grazi at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Approximately $12,000/ cycle, plus additional fees for medications, ICSI, PGS, and surgical center.
Describe Richard Grazi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
He generally preferred single transfers so that if something went wrong on the maternal end, more than one embryo would not be lost. Also because he didn’t prefer to put patients in the situation of carrying multiples.
Richard Grazi
Brooklyn

she [Dr. Melzer Ross] referred me to another practice, who she said she "didnt really believe in their controversial methods" but we had basically hit the end of the road. Then she said well, let's do a hysteroscopy, just to see, maybe IVF with Lovenox. As a medical clinician, the thought of trial and error guessing with my already sick body and emotionally fragile psyche, was too much to bear and I will not be returning. IMO, if you have infertility with other medical complications, Genesis is not the place to go. Good luck to everyo
All was great [with the nurses at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] until d&c day, when not one person even spoke to me or looked me in the eyes...all the ladies at the SI clinic were so nice and understanding. Only note, please offer water to patients after taking 13 vials of blood. Ladies, bring water and something sugary if you are having bloodwork done, bc they have nothing...Receptionist at Brooklyn clinic was a beast
Dr. Ross was our second opinion, and unbeknownst to me, I was already pregnant on my own when I saw her. She followed up with my bloodwork, made herself available and seemed interested in my case. However, when I lost the embryo at 6 weeks, things changed. She told me that she felt my autoimmune dz was causing my recurrent miscarriages, and she had exhausted all the tests to find out what was actually wrong. Then she referred me to another practice, who she said she "didnt really believe in their controversial methods" but we had basically hit the end of the road. Then she said well, let's do a hysteroscopy, just to see, maybe IVF with Lovenox. As a medical clinician, the thought of trial and error guessing with my already sick body and emotionally fragile psyche, was too much to bear and I will not be returning. IMO, if you have infertility with other medical complications, Genesis is not the place to go. Good luck to everyone.
All was great until d&c day, when not one person even spoke to me or looked me in the eyes.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Receptionist at Brooklyn clinic was a beast, but all the ladies at the SI clinic were so nice and understanding. Only note, please offer water to patients after taking 13 vials of blood. Ladies, bring water and something sugary if you are having bloodwork done, bc they have nothing.
Thankfully covered by insurance.
Staten Island
He [Dr. Grazi] is a great doctor. I would email him about concerns I had And he would always address them by the end of the day. I felt comfortable and clam around him. He has a lot of patience. Just wish I was stop not getting pregnant and actually go to term...1st round IUI did 50mg of clomid. Ended in chemical pregnancy. Second cycle IUI did 50mg ended up not getting pregnant. 3rd round did 100mg of clomid,
The billing department needs more compassion and not to be so mean. They need really get their facts together before telling patients things will get covered and end up not being covered. Other then that I love this clinic [RMA]. You get free parking, nurses are all friendly, dr answers all and any questions you may have...The nurses usually knew who I was when I walked in. I didn't feel rushed and they always answered all my questions
He is a great doctor. I would email him about concerns I had And he would always address them by the end of the day. I felt comfortable and clam around him. He has a lot of patience. Just wish I was stop not getting pregnant and actually go to term.
To bring in any questions you may have so he can answer them.
Describe the protocols Richard Grazi used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
1st round IUI did 50mg of clomid. Ended in chemical pregnancy. Second cycle IUI did 50mg ended up not getting pregnant. 3rd round did 100mg of clomid, didnt respond and did a stair stepper. Took 150mg of clomid then IUI and ended in chemical pregnancy
Very nice. Always return my calls in a timely manner
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The billing department needs more compassion and not to be so mean. They need really get their facts together before telling patients things will get covered and end up not being covered. Other then that I love this clinic. You get free parking, nurses are all friendly, dr answers all and any questions you may have.
Insurance covered a lot of my stuff I think. Still waiting to hear back.
Richard Grazi
Brooklyn

[Dr. David Kulak was] Very patient, very timely answers...Very compassionate, patient, knowledgable, gets back to you right away...asks if procedure hurts, emotionally appropriate, reassuring. I felt like his only patient, though I wasn't!...FET with 2 day 5 embryos...be persistent if you have a concern-- he does not mind considering all options...Do your own research first, and come with questions.
[Genesis Fertility nurses were] Very kind, but overworked so rushed. Also, some had accents the were hard to understand....Only minor slip ups-- lost test results, some long waits, prescription request lost, pricing confusion, nothing major, always apologized...Procedure [FET] was $3800, but other things extra, saline soon $600, counselling $250, etc...You will have a good experience whatever the outcome. They really try to work with you.
How was your experience with David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Very compassionate, patient, knowledgable, gets back to you right away. Helps find embryos, asks if procedure hurts, emotionally appropriate, reassuring. I felt like his only patient, though I wasn't!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Do your own research first, and come with questions. Also, be persistent if you have a concern-- he does not mind considering all options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Very patient, very timely answers
Describe the protocols David Kulak used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
FET with 2 day 5 embryos.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
It matters who your MD is. Do HW beforehand. You will have a good experience whatever the outcome. They really try to work with you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Kulak at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Procedure was $3800, but other things extra, saline soon $600, counselling $250, etc
Describe David Kulak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
First decided one embryo then two. Happy, as one was better than another.
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
David Kulak
Brooklyn

Dr [Katherin Melzer Ross] took the time to meet with me. I never felt rushed. Her approach seemed individualized and she offered me various options...She was compassionate and knowledgeable. I had a specific situation and she did not make me feel embarrassed. I felt very comfortable with her and confident, although i did not get to interact with her aside from the consults....Clomid and trigger for IUI
Some nurses were better than others [at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] . But overall they were compassionate and organized...Many many costs for an IUI. Including extra costs that were not explained up front...Strengths are doctors and decor. Weakness is limited contact with doctors and front desk staff are not always nice. Billing department is difficult and find ways to bill you for every little thing. Monitoring is also very early and crowded
Dr took the time to meet with me. I never felt rushed. Her approach seemed individualized and she offered me various options
Clomid and trigger for IUI
Some nurses were better than others. But overall they were compassionate and organized