Genetic counseling: Offered
Wellesley
230 Worcester Street
Wellesley, MA 02481
781-431-5400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Harvard Vanguard to a friend?

7.2

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Skiadas turned my retrieval protocol on its head, using Gonal-f and microdose Lupron with a 37 hour HCG trigger, each twice daily. I had daily monitoring and my doses were adjusted frequently. Because of my good response to this protocol, Dr. Skiadas had concerns for OHSS so she added in Cabergoline and Cetrotide post-retrieval, which was very effective... has been informed and up to date on all of my treatment and results during my appointments with her. I felt that she carefully put together an IVF retrieval protocol that was tailored to me. Although most of my telephone contact has been with her nurses, Liz and Caitlin, I have always felt both that the nursing staff had spoken to Dr. Skiadas and also that were very familiar with my case.
HVMA has multiple locations throughout Massachusetts, with two labs open on weekends. Although this can be a good thing, only one location is really convenient for me and I sometimes found it difficult to get early weekday ultrasound appointments at my location because it seems to be a popular site. If you have an inflexible work schedule this can be a challenge. Also, bloodwork needs to be done prior to 8:45 a.m. to allow the specimens to be picked up by courier.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Although I have not been seeing Dr. Skiadas that long, I have been incredibly impressed with her. Having been through two previous egg retrievals and three failed transfers of PGD/PGS tested embryos, I feel that she worked really hard to put together a new protocol with aggressive monitoring that, so far, has yielded positive results. It was very clear to me that, prior to our initial appointment, she had carefully reviewed my previous cycles and results to find new treatment or tweaks. I had lots of questions about how to do things differently and different tests we could try and she took the time to fully respond to all questions that my husband and I had. She was very supportive of my desire to do some outside testing. Dr. Skiadas explained all of the risks and odds of success at each step of the process, something that I felt in the dark about prior to meeting with her. Although I really liked my previous doctor, I never felt truly informed about important factors to me, such as the rate of fertilization with ICSI, how many embryos can be expected to make it to biopsy, etc. Dr. Skiadas provided me with all of the information I was looking.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas seems to be a very popular doctor so make sure to always schedule a follow up appointment right away. So far I have to say that the initial delay in seeing her has been worth it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas has been informed and up to date on all of my treatment and results during my appointments with her. I felt that she carefully put together an IVF retrieval protocol that was tailored to me. Although most of my telephone contact has been with her nurses, Liz and Caitlin, I have always felt both that the nursing staff had spoken to Dr. Skiadas and also that were very familiar with my case.
Describe the protocols Christine Skiadas used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Liz and Caitlin)
Caitlin and Liz are the doctor's primary nurses and they are both excellent. Whenever I called with a question or concern, I received a prompt call back. They both also did an excellent job of keeping me informed throughout the retrieval cycle, which decreased my stress and anxiety. I have always been impressed with the Harvard Vanguard nursing staff, including the incomparable Chris.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard.
Luckily, my insurance covers most of my fertility care and treatment so I paid co-pays for office visits, procedures and medications after meeting my deductible. I did not have to pay for monitoring bloodwork or ultrasounds. I paid out of pocket for PGD/PGS testing through Igenomix ($6k - $9k per time for both).
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard.

2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Don't expect him [Dr. Obasiolu] to be mushy or coddling. He is very factual but he is positive and honest with his patients...Based on my age he encouraged multiple embryo transfer and the fact that out of all embryos only 1 has made it to freeze...While Dr. Obasiolo may seem "stiff" I have found him to be personable and encouraging during this process. He even called me a few days after my last failed cycle to give me pep talk and make sure I was ok. At our last visit to prep for our next cycle he was willing to try to new treatments and really seemed to care about us as a couple.
[Harvard Vanguard has] Convenient location and hours and their affiliation with Boston IVF and the utilization of their embryo lab and surgical site. The only weakness is that they will not consider experimental therapies such as human growth hormone for egg quality...They [nurses] are extremely reliable, responsive and caring. I was never left guessing about my test results, insurance auth process, etc. Excellent nurses.
2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I feel that Dr. Obasiolu is knowledgeable and has switched our protocols based on our results after each treatment. He is kind and caring. I have run into Dr. Obasiolu at the clinic when I was not scheduled to see him and he remembers both mine and my husbands name and takes time to chat with us to check in and see how we are doing. I work in healthcare so I do know that this tends to be the exception and not always the norm with physicians.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Don't expect him to be mushy or coddling. He is very factual but he is positive and honest with his patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Describe the protocols Charles Obasiolu used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Cycle1 was estrogen priming and then gonal-f and menopure. Cycles 2-3 coenzyme q-10, gonal-f and menopure Cycle 4 coenzyme q-10, lurpon and gonal-f, assisted hatching and embryo glue For the above cycles a day 3 transfer (except cycle 1 due to freeze all with no viable embryos) with estrodial patches and crinone after transfer Cycle 5 (pending) coenzyme q-10, lupron, gonal-f, meonpure with baby aspirin after retrieval, assisted hatching, embryo glue, pio and estrodial patches.
They are extremely reliable, responsive and caring. I was never left guessing about my test results, insurance auth process, etc. Excellent nurses.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard.
All covered by insurance. Have only had to pay copays for medications (average $300 per cycle) and $500 for embryo glue per cycle (to date only used for one cycle)
Describe Charles Obasiolu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard.

2013 - 2018
Dr. Obasiolu will let you know honestly how well a treatment plan may or may not work. We really appreciated his candor, but some people may find this difficult. When we had a change in our insurance plan and my husband's hormone therapy was slow to work, he discussed other ways we could start a family, such as donor sperm with IUI. I appreciated having other options to consider, but he was respectful of our final decision to continue my husband's hormone therapy. We are grateful that as a result we will have a biological child.
The nursing staff [at Harvard Vanguard] overall went above and beyond listening to my concerns. If they couldn't answer a question right away, they let me know when I could expect an answer...The clinic itself has very advanced ultrasound machines. The waiting rooms and offices at Kenmore were on the small side, but clean. Getting to Kenmore can be a challenge due traffic via car or public transit, so add atleast 20 minutes to your commute time just to be safe.
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Obasiolu was very upfront that we would need IVF with ICSI to have a chance at becoming pregnant. He took the time to explain the procedure as well as a timeline for the medications I would need to take during the cycle. Dr. O was supportive of us when we had setbacks. We also appreciated that he referred my husband to a urologist that specializes in Male factor infertility. Sometimes the communication between him and that office was slow and required a couple of follow up phone calls, but that's the only negative for me. Both Dr. O and my husband's urologist came up with a plan for my husband's MFI. Dr. O warned us that this treatment plan may not work for my husband, but over a year later, his sperm count became high enough that we could finally start our cycle in 2018. I received a very detailed protocol for the IVF/ICSI cycle that with the help of Boston IVF has resulted in my pregnancy.
Dr. Obasiolu was always concerned about me and my husband's well being as well as the diagnostic care for treating our infertility.
My husband was on Androgel prior to starting treatment. He was taken off that and started HCG. He was on that for 8 months when our insurance finally allowed him to add Menopur and Gonal F to increase his pituitary function. His urologist also recommended anastrozole to decrease estrogen production. He was on this combination of meds for about 18 months. Throughout this time, he had SA's done and his last one was high enough that we could schedule IVF/ICSI at Boston IVF. My husband didn't have to schedule a microtese surgery bc his hormone therapy was that successful. In July 2018, Dr. Obasioli gave me a very detailed protocol. I was put on estradiol to make sure my estrogen levels were low enough to start stims. I injected Menopur and Gonal F to stimulate the follicles. I also had to take cetrotide to prevent early ovulation. The dosages for Menopur and Gonal F were increased every couple of days until I was instructed to take my HCG trigger shot. After the egg retrieval at Boston IVF, I had to take progesterone cream to thicken the uterine lining in preparation for the embryo transfer. Our treatment plan resulted in 2 embryos. One was a 3 day IVF transfer and the other is being preserved. We are thrilled to expect our first child in April 2019.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Susan at Harvard Vanguard Quincy)
The nursing staff overall went above and beyond listening to my concerns. If they couldn't answer a question right away, they let me know when I could expect an answer.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The office visits I think were about $185 each and billed afterwards. Copays for ultrasounds were $35. The copays for the meds were pricey at $150 each.
Dr. Obasiolu recommended that we only transfer one embryo bc we are healthy and under the age of 35. He was concerned that a multiple transfer could result in twins or more.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
At the beginning of my cycle, I was worried I hadn't heard back from someone about my ultrasound before the office closes. They were very understanding and I received next steps promptly.

6 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
All of my interactions with Dr. Skiadas...have been positive...Dr. Skiadas is clearly knowledgeable, compassionate, and understanding. I have chosen to try to become a mother on my own (SMC) and have never felt anything but support from her. Her approach has been clear and honest, and progressive relative to what has happened...for the most part my interactions have not been directly with Dr. Skiadas but rather with the nurses.
All of my interactions with Dr. Skiadas, the nurses, and the medical team have been positive. However, Harvard Vanguard is a big operation and can, at times, feel like a machine. There are definite (for me) upsides to that in terms of ease of scheduling (for US, for IUI, etc.) and convenience of multiple locations. ...The nurses have also been very available to answer questions... They have always been warm, professional, and thorough. But if you want a more one on one experience or a lot of time with your physician this may not be the practice for you.
6 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is clearly knowledgeable, compassionate, and understanding. I have chosen to try to become a mother on my own (SMC) and have never felt anything but support from her. Her approach has been clear and honest, and progressive relative to what has happened. Again, while I have primarily interacted with the nurses and other members of the medical team, rather than Dr. Skiadas, that hasn't troubled me and so far the convenience offered by the large practice has been a plus.
Because of the nature of the practice, and the opportunities to interact with Dr. Skiadas directly tend to be more limited, I would recommend being prepared to ask all your questions in those consultations if it's important for you to get answers from your RE. The nurses have also been very available to answer questions, but some patients may feel strongly about communicating directly with their physician.
All of my interactions with Dr. Skiadas, the nurses, and the medical team have been positive. However, Harvard Vanguard is a big operation and can, at times, feel like a machine. There are definite (for me) upsides to that in terms of ease of scheduling (for US, for IUI, etc.) and convenience of multiple locations. The size also means that you're one of many patients and so for the most part my interactions have not been directly with Dr. Skiadas but rather with the nurses. Personally, that hasn't bothered me. I feel like I have always been able to get questions answered and the team is responsive. And when I have had interactions with Dr. Skiadas she is warm, clear, and straightforward.
Dr. Skiadas' plan and preference was to do three natural cycles of IUI. The first cycle I did was completely natural and I had a short luteal phase and early period (less than two weeks post-insemination). After that, Dr. Skiadas added a progesterone suppository to the next IUI to help maintain a pregnancy if indeed fertilization and insemination happened. IUI's 2 and 3 were natural, and 2 was with a trigger shot. The 4th was with Clomid and a trigger shot and progesterone, the 5th (due to a cyst being present) was unmedicated but with trigger and progesterone. And the 6th was with Clomid, a trigger shot, and progesterone. Cycles 1-5 did not produce a pregnancy. I am currently in Cycle 6.
Both Caitlin and Liz are warm and compassionate and great communicators. They have been readily available for consultation and follow up questions.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The Center for Fertility and Reproductive Medicine at Harvard Vanguard is a large practice, with offices in several locations. That contributes to a lot of positives with respect to convenience - generally being able to schedule diagnostics (ultrasounds, labs) and basic procedures (IUIs) at a time and location of your preference. It can, however, at times lead to it feeling a bit like a factory. While my experiences with the medical team have always been positive, I have dealt almost exclusively with the nurses and by phone rather than in person. They have always been warm, professional, and thorough. But if you want a more one on one experience or a lot of time with your physician this may not be the practice for you.
To date (after 6 IUIs), I have had to pay a co-pay for IUIs and for the HSG test, as well as a copay for medication (Clomid, progesterone). Labs and ultrasound monitoring were covered by insurance.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
She took the time to listen, explain my situation and answer questions. However, I would have like more information on the actual process as this was our first time. I did not know all the questions to ask. Upon implantation, the office follow-up was comprehensive and then when I lost the pregnancy, Dr. Lee was very supportive and emphatic.
Cash Pay - No insurance Dr. Lee - $750 IVF New England - $12,900 Meds - $7500 Sperm Retrieval - $1900 Sperm Analysis - $1200 Other (Pre-IVF appointments, ultrasounds and Labs) not included in numbers above...I had a horrible experience with New England IVF upon dropping off my partners contributions. I called Dr. Lee's office and the entire staff was very helpful, compassionate and understanding. Dr. Lee called the lab and called me back herself to reassure me that everything was handled properly. My retrieval and transfer went well. The doctor and nurses were excellent and very supportive. One of the nurses even gave me a hug as I left my transfer! Upon the loss of the pregnancy, the nurses and Dr.Lee were very understanding and caring in life changing situation.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Lee was very cautious about any supplements other than prenatal vitamins. I was advised to stop all supplements that I was taking under the guidance of my acupuncturist. It seemed a little odd not to take Vita C, D,DHA/EPA, etc.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
For first timers, ask her what you should know that you don't know or haven't asked because you don't know what to ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Describe the protocols Grace Lee used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Plan described below is exactly that a plan. It may vary based on blood work and Ultrasounds Overviewof situation: 40 years old, no previous children, partner had a Vasectomy 10+ years ago, low egg reserve, Hashimoto's and high prolactin Plan: Estrogen Patch - every other day - Just beginning cycle with estrogen patch and post transfer Gonal F 300ml x2 a day for 20 days - extremely long stim cycle as my body was not responding. Never added Menopur Ganirelix - 5 shots Novarel - trigger shot ICSI and assisted hactching Doxycycline- x2 a day for 4 days around retrieval Medrol - One pill daily beginning the day of retrieval and ending the day of embryo transfer Crinone once a day from transfer to loss of pregnancy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard.
Very helpful in answering my questions and calling me back promptly.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
There was a mix-up in a refill of a RX. I submitted it via online vs. calling the clinic directly. Upon calling it to the attention of the nurse, it was promptly resolved.
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard.

2014 - 2017
Dr. Skiadas is very skillful as a physician and a wonderful, warm person. She is incredibly knowledgeable, but won't hesitate to consult with colleagues if a situation arises that she hasn't treated before. She was appropriately aggressive and didn't try the same thing that failed too many times. She truly seemed to care...We had a few hiccups with nursing staff not totally being on top of the treatment plan (assuming we were following a standard course when Dr. Skiadas had recommended some uncommon changes). They were all very kind and supportive, just maybe didn't spend enough time reviewing charts before making calls.
Dr. Skiadas and her team [at Harvard Vanguard] are great; I have heard nightmares about her colleagues (one in particular). Stick with Dr. Skiadas and don't see one of her colleagues in the event she is unavailable for something...We had a few hiccups with nursing staff not totally being on top of the treatment plan (assuming we were following a standard course when Dr. Skiadas had recommended some uncommon changes). They were all very kind and supportive, just maybe didn't spend enough time reviewing charts before making calls.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
It is worth the wait for appointments to see her; don't settle for another doctor at the practice!
Dr. Skiadas is amazing. She really seems to care about all her patients (both me and my spouse), and always remembers (or is really good at writing notes and reviewing before the next appt) personal details about me and the conversations we had. She is respectful of our goals and desires, and always asks for our input.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Dr. Skiadas and her team are great; I have heard nightmares about her colleagues (one in particular). Stick with Dr. Skiadas and don't see one of her colleagues in the event she is unavailable for something.
Insurance copays.
Describe Christine Skiadas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
She recommended a single embryo transfer based on my age and other factors, but was very patient as I asked her about a lot of statistics, the possibility of a selective reduction if we transferred multiples, etc. She never judged but gently advised what she thought was best.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
I was never explained the rationale for the protocol Dr. Lee decided for me, but it was a patch antagonist protocol...She also didn't explain to me at all from the very beginning that she would not be doing all my procedures -- egg retrieval, egg transfer -- which would have perhaps been a determining factor in picking her and her clinic for my first cycle...I found Dr. Lee to be a little misleading more than once...At first she said insurance would probably cover my treatment because my tubes are blocked but then the next time I saw her, she'd done a complete 180 and reversed her stance saying the probability of that happening was low because my husband had had a vasectomy,
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's [Harvard Vanguard] office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
I found Dr. Lee to be a little misleading more than once. At first she said insurance would probably cover my treatment because my tubes are blocked but then the next time I saw her, she'd done a complete 180 and reversed her stance saying the probability of that happening was low because my husband had had a vasectomy, which she knew from the beginning. There were other incidents (too long to describe here) that made me lose confidence in her practice. She also didn't explain to me at all from the very beginning that she would not be doing all my procedures -- egg retrieval, egg transfer -- which would have perhaps been a determining factor in picking her and her clinic for my first cycle.
Assume nothing and double check and double confirm every piece of information coming from her office. Also, the proverbial "ask a lot of questions" -- but many people don't even know what questions to ask! Just do a lot of research on IVF cycles and potential protocols and don't be afraid to question or second-guess her.
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
I was never explained the rationale for the protocol Dr. Lee decided for me, but it was a patch antagonist protocol. It yielded an amazing amount of eggs: 10 were retrieved. But only 3 of those were fertilized.
Conflicting instructions among the nurses, lack of communication on critical information -- which caused a cycle to get canceled.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Again, some conflicting instructions coming from Boston IVF and the doctor's office/nurse, which led me to lose confidence in the whole practice.
We paid about $22,000 total for one cycle.
Describe Grace Lee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
I did not get a good education on the trade offs between multiple embryo transfer vs. single.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
The day of my pregnancy test, the lab didn't even have the order in for it. I was panicking because I thought I had the wrong date. I had to spend some time tracking down the real story which was that they had simply not put it in. Apparently for that delay, it was 4pm and I still had not gotten a call back with the results. Another miscommunication: I was told by one nurse to start on the stimulating hormone on a specific day, only to have another nurse tell me at the last minute that no, I needed to start with a patch, not with the injections. Yet another one: right before my trigger shot, Boston IVF told me to continue with one last dose of the stimulating hormone when the nurse at my doctor's office had told me to skip it.
Boston

Despite of my clear symptoms of endometriosis. Dr. Lee diagnose us as unexplained. This wrong diagnose lead to 3 failed IUI which could have been avoided if she would send me directly for a Laparoscopy. (Where I later find out the poor state of my tubes). It also lead to 2 failed embryo transfer...Sadly I did not have a good experinece with Dr. Lee. She is a straightforward doctor. She dosen't show passion for her patient. She does not consider the patient's symptoms but will follow a standard procedures. This might not be entirely her fault, be due to the Harvard Vanguard standard procedure and luck of flexibility. She is fast and direct. For some this might work.
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient...When I left Harvard Vanguard to move to another clinic they were very slow to share my data...Sadly I did not have a good experinece with Dr. Lee. She is a straightforward doctor. She dosen't show passion for her patient. She does not consider the patient's symptoms but will follow a standard procedures. This might not be entirely her fault, be due to the Harvard Vanguard standard procedure and luck of flexibility. She is fast and direct. For some this might work.
European, Prefer not to answer
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
To challenge her assumptions. Be informed and prepared ahead.
She followed a standard protocol for all the treatments I had. Without considering my endometriosis (which she denied I had) or my AMH levels.
Despite of my clear symptoms of endometriosis. Dr. Lee diagnose us as unexplained. This wrong diagnose lead to 3 failed IUI which could have been avoided if she would send me directly for a Laparoscopy. (Where I later find out the poor state of my tubes). It also lead to 2 failed embryo transfer. Since the protocol was not adapt for a patient suffering endometriosis. She didn't use a suppressive protocol but a standard antagonist protocol without the use of the pill in the first phase.
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Harvard Vanguard is convenient because of its multiple locations in boston and cambridge. This is helpful for blood work and ultrasound. Harvard Vanguard is part of IVF new england. There are not a fertility clinic in their own right.
All costs were covered by the insurance.

2012 - 2013
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans....Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
We would call [the staff at Harvard Vanguard] with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clin
2012 - 2013
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Even worse than his suboptimal demeanor and professionalism, we now also retroactively question his medical fund of knowledge and treatment planning. Despite a year of "testing" and "treating" us (which included a failed IVF cycle), he never diagnosed either my husband or myself with any issues. Within a month of seeing our new physician, however, we learned that my husband had anti-sperm antibodies cross-linking his spermatids, entirely impeding their motility. Because we had such trouble communicating with Dr. Obasiolu (and there was such tremendous lack of transparency with every step of the process in his clinic), we don't know whether or not he did ICSI with our IVF. Without ICSI, there is no way that my husband's sperm could have successfully fertilized any of my eggs, and the entire cycle would have been a waste of money (not to mention a huge strain on our emotional reserve). After we switched to our current physician, we also learned that I was underproducing a specific hormone precursor, and I was started on a supplement for this. Who knows if this made a difference or not (although we did have a successful IVF cycle with our new doctor) - but we were so appreciative of the thoroughness and thoughtfulness that our new doctor applied to our case. He demonstrated a comprehensive and sophisticated fund of knowledge regarding the synthesis and metabolism of hormone precursors that we very much doubt Dr. Obasiolu had. Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans.
I do not think that Dr. Obasiolu is a monster, so my intention is not to vilify him as a person. But the impression that we received from him was that he did not care about us (beyond our insurance payments to his practice) - essentially, he barely knew us, and his bedside manner was terrible. In the spirit of full disclosure - my husband and I are both physicians, and I specialize in pediatric palliative care - so bedside manner and communication is extremely important to me. Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
However, I think that the worst thing about our overall experience may actually have been our interactions with Dr. Obasiolu's clinic infrastructure and his ancillary staff. Everyone with whom we interfaced was (at best) rude and (at worst) actively obstructive to our care. We would call with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clinic on our worst enemy. I was so overwhelmed and scared by the whole process that I did not appropriately self-advocate - and as a result, we wasted a whole year and suffered through a lot of emotional grief that likely was unnecessary. I don't mean to imply that our subsequent experiences with IVF were a picnic - they also were quite stressful - but having a physician that we loved and trusted through the journey made the experience so much better.
Mostly covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, as mandated and the state of Massachusetts.

2019 - 2020
[Dr. Obasiolu was] Honest and blunt when delivering us facts. Open to some supplements and acupuncture in addition to the IVF process. Compassionate after my miscarriage. Very knowledgeable of pcos. Covid-19 has complicated my experience.... Frozen embryo transfer protocol: Day 5 ultrasound, Letrezole days 5-10, ultrasound and bloodwork until trigger shot, baby aspirin and crinone 1x day until transfer and continued through pregnancy test. Due to cramping and blood test for progesterone in early pregnancy they increased crinone to 2x day. Ultrasound at 6 weeks showed that the embryo was smaller than it should be.
[Nurses at Harvard Vanguard were] Very compassionate in times of uncertainty or loss during my treatment.... Strengths: knowledgeable, compassionate Weaknesses: scheduling, having to go to multiple offices for ultrasound and bloodwork, experienced last minute changes due to schedule conflicts for the dr (not just time slot but alternate location)... During periods of loss or negative tests I felt like a human but during the process of scheduling and Apts I felt like a number
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Do your research and ask questions. He’ll provide answers but you need to ask questions.
Frozen embryo transfer protocol: Day 5 ultrasound, Letrezole days 5-10, ultrasound and bloodwork until trigger shot, baby aspirin and crinone 1x day until transfer and continued through pregnancy test. Due to cramping and blood test for progesterone in early pregnancy they increased crinone to 2x day. Ultrasound at 6 weeks showed that the embryo was smaller than it should be. At 8 weeks there was no further growth or heartbeat and it was deemed a miscarriage. D&C performed.
Very compassionate in times of uncertainty or loss during my treatment.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Lucky to have insurance coverage for IVF.
Strongly advised single embryo transfer.
Boston

Dr. Lee presents as a scientist, not a social worker. She's a problem solver. She presents options and explains pros/cons. The only challenge has been wait time on the phone and for an appointment - although ultrasound appointment options are great.... Lots of testing, then Letrozole for follicle stimulation and Ovidrel to trigger. We've varied the dosage based on my response to try to get the right number of follicles. The first cycle produced too many, the second we got the dose too low. This cycle looks good so far!
The Kenmore and Burlington locations [Harvard Vanguard] are great. Only hitch at Wellesley is that the waiting room is shared with OBGYN. It's hard to hear people excited about their early pregnancies while you wait for your infertility appointment.... Tracy, in particular, is fabulous. Calls back quickly with results, explains things clearly, and answers questions. She never makes me feel rushed.... My insurance covers some, but it's been a couple thousand out of pocket so far.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Be prepared to be educated and given choices, not just told what to do.
Everyone in her practice treats me and my husband well. They asked questions about our life and always seem familiar with our case when we call.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The Kenmore and Burlington locations are great. Only hitch at Wellesley is that the waiting room is shared with OBGYN. It's hard to hear people excited about their early pregnancies while you wait for your infertility appointment.
My insurance covers some, but it's been a couple thousand out of pocket so far. This was expected, and they had me check on my coverage before starting.
Boston

My experience with Dr. Skiadas, although we have not been successful yet in having a child, has been positive. I do not think that I could have made it this far without someone so intelligent thoughtful and caring...Dr. Skiadas is thoughtful and kind and takes her time with us, always. She is sympathetic when she needs to be and hopeful when she needs to be. She is great at explaining the facts in a way that we can understand and is always empathetic of what we as the patients are going through.
I find HVMA [Harvard Vanguard] to be extremely organized and well run. The nursing staff overall are wonderful, however, when you get reassigned, sometimes it is not seamless. You have to make sure you ask questions, clarify all timelines and treatments and double check med levels. Usually they are spot on, but make sure you are your own advocate.
None.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Liz and Sue)
I find HVMA to be extremely organized and well run. The nursing staff overall are wonderful, however, when you get reassigned, sometimes it is not seamless. You have to make sure you ask questions, clarify all timelines and treatments and double check med levels. Usually they are spot on, but make sure you are your own advocate.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Extremely organized, thoughtful and thorough. They have a patient system that you can log onto to get various test results, see upcoming appointments and most importantly ask questions of your providers. If it is an emergency, make sure to call. They are very responsive.
IUI and first round fully covered. Subsequent rounds I had to pay for the screenings and monitorings.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
There were two instances where I went to have blood drawn and the order was not in. It was immediately rectified.

2013 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr. Attaman is a nice person and clearly works hard and did help me get pregnant (yeah!) but if I had it to do again I would have seen someone else...Dr Attaman did not appear to have reviewed my chart before any of our appointments, guess it would have been a much longer wait if she had.
I think this clinic [Harvard Vanguard] just takes on too many patients, they don't have the time and energy to address each one personally... Office was always so backlogged and ran late for every appointment... They have a really difficult system with making calls, you never know when they will call you and if they call with results after 5 and you don't answer you can't call back with questions until the next morning.
2013 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
I think this clinic just takes on too many patients, they don't have the time and energy to address each one personally. Dr. Attaman is a nice person and clearly works hard and did help me get pregnant (yeah!) but if I had it to do again I would have seen someone else.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Find another fertility doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Care team never remembered me other than one awesome nurse. Office was always so backlogged and ran late for every appointment. Dr Attaman did not appear to have reviewed my chart before any of our appointments, guess it would have been a much longer wait if she had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Chris French)
Chris was awesome, she helped me work through a bunch of logistical challenges, like traveling during treatment, she remembered details about my specific situation and was great at answering my 100s of questions. The rest of the nursing staff was ok but a few times they forgot to call me with test results or didn't return my calls when I left messages.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
Clinic was always overbooked and behind schedule, always, even for 7am appointments. They have a really difficult system with making calls, you never know when they will call you and if they call with results after 5 and you don't answer you can't call back with questions until the next morning. They do have 24 hour emergency support though which is really nice. I use Harvard Vanguard for all my other medical needs and am happy with their other services.
Jill Attaman

2010 - 2013
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Obasiolu was with me for three years of treatments. He cared deeply for me, and I always felt like a person with him. Over those three years, he performed multiple treatments, including a D&E for a miscarriage, a polyp removal and the other surgeries. I felt that he was truly behind me and he always respected my choices even if they differed from his r commendations...He is matter of fact, and his warmth may not shine through, but it is there! Ask questions, listen, trust.
Love. These nurses [at Harvard Vanguard] were so supportive during three years of treatments. I was sad to move on from the team when I finally did get pregnant! Caring, compaaasionate, personable...Dr Obasiolu, in his matter of fact but warm way, cheered me on throughout the process. I always felt that he cared deeply for me and was committed to a positive outcome. also, his confidence that I would get pregnant was a helpful motivator. He was with me for three years and multiple procedures, and even three years later when I visited him with my daughter he remembered many details about my case.
2010 - 2013
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I can't remember!
Love. These nurses were so supportive during three years of treatments. I was sad to move on from the team when I finally did get pregnant! Caring, compaaasionate, personable.
0. Amazing health insurance and infertility coverage
Though the recommendations were for 2 to be transferred, I was always listened to and never challenged when we elected to do a single embryo transfer.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Obasiolu was patient and kind. He was direct and honest but treated us like humans and was sensitive and encouraging. He listened to our ideas and questions and reconfigured the plans to include our thoughts. He was funny and friendly.... checked sperm count and motility, check Fallopian tubes and uterus, IVF with Gonal F 450, HCG, and certitude, estrogen patch with progesterone suppositories, FET cycle with estrace and progesterone injections.
No concerns, it was fine. I like that there were multiple locations [Harvard Vanguard] and that the staff were all friendly and warm. They were all quick to get back to emails and calls and the insurance staff was very knowledgeable.... Katie was friendly and prepared. She was nice and had good follow up.... Dr. Obasiolu is kind and thoughtful. He is direct and spoke to me and my husband like we were humans.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Listen carefully and don’t be afraid to ask questions or make your concerns or ideas know. He will listen!
Dr. Obasiolu is kind and thoughtful. He is direct and spoke to me and my husband like we were humans. He was cautiously optimistic but honest. He listened to us and incorporated our wishes into the treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
Katie was friendly and prepared. She was nice and had good follow up.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
No concerns, it was fine. I like that there were multiple locations and that the staff were all friendly and warm. They were all quick to get back to emails and calls and the insurance staff was very knowledgeable.
Insurance covered most. There were some costs for medication or co-pays. We paid for genetic testing out of pocket ($5,600).

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I felt it [protocol with Dr. Skiadas] was very random and specifics weren't discussed too much. I felt so naive through the first cycle and wish I would have known more...is sweet and seems caring but her patient load is too high and she is never the doctor that attends the retrieval or the transfer, she just sets the protocol. I also felt she could have provided more information and assistance early on and after my insurance ran out I felt abandoned and hopeless.
[Harvard Vanguard is in a] Convenient location, convenient appointment times. Attached to a clinic that provides other services. Parking was good. Overall the staff was professional but they seem to have too many patients to really care about your personal care...Sometimes nurses were very caring but I had other incidents where I felt they treated me like a number and just weren't responsive to my feelings.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is sweet and seems caring but her patient load is too high and she is never the doctor that attends the retrieval or the transfer, she just sets the protocol. I also felt she could have provided more information and assistance early on and after my insurance ran out I felt abandoned and hopeless.
Just be aware she does not handle your retrieval and transfers. You also need to speak up and advocate for yourself if you have questions and concerns.
Patient load is too high. Had to learn a lot on my own. Felt like follow-up wasn't great.
I felt it was very random and specifics weren't discussed too much. I felt so naive through the first cycle and wish I would have known more.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Insurance covered 90% of my costs.
Boston

[Harvard Vanguard - Ken] Not all testing is done at Kenmore I also had to drive to Quincy which was not easy during the workday. It was also very difficult to have any medical records forwarded to my new clinic. It took months of back and forth and I still didn’t get my complete record...I only had a few appointments with Dr. Lee but the nurses were always great and compassionate. Also easy to reach and leave messages for...It was very difficult for my new clinic to obtain my medical records.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
She was nice and easy to speak with. She explained the IVF process easily so I understood. After a lot of initial testing I was told I had nothing wrong and to start clomid. I felt like she wanted to put me on medication just to start the process for my insurance company and then move forward to IVF. I didn’t get a great feeling about this since I was in pain monthly on my left side. I also mentioned this to Dr. Lee and was assured it was probably ovulation pain. After my first few appointments I decided to get a second opinion.
She seemed easy to talk to and didn’t speak over our heads with medical jargon I wouldn’t understand.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
It was very difficult for my new clinic to obtain my medical records.

Endometriosis, Other
I used to like him [Dr. Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard] in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
Endometriosis, Other
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I used to like him in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
Don't go there
The clinic is very small so the nurses get to know you well. However, the doctor is clueless. Every single time I met with him he asked me where I worked.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
It's small and easy to get appointments.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
They didn't call me to tell me they suspected I was having an ectopic pregnant. They called me 36 hours after I went to thsleep lab.
Boston

Even though Dr. Lee doesn't have a bubbly personality, she recognized me and my husband in passing, looked us in the eye, knew our medical history without our needing to repeat it 100 times, and made sure we understood what she was saying without needing to fluff it up....Don't expect warm and fuzzy but know that she really cares about your treatment.
Everyone a the clinic was extremely good-natured and friendly. When I frantically ran in an hour late to an appointment due to traffic, the receptionist said, "You have enough to worry about. We don't punish for being late and we'll take you as soon as we can."...Natural frozen cycle transferring one embryo resulted in a positive pregnancy test....[Costs were] around $500. This included my deductible and 10% co-insurance. Thank God for insurance in MA!
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Around $500. This included my deductible and 10% co-insurance. Thank God for insurance in MA!
Boston
She [Dr Christine Skiadas] was a good communicator and direct. She explained the process and logic of each step well. At one point we had an early miscarriage, and she was sympathetic but not overly so....You don't see much of the dr, most everyday items are handled by the nurses and other staff...She tended to take the more conservative method in terms of treatment and dosing (which I generally agreed with given my history)
The nurses [at Harvard Vanguard] were great. Waiting times were a bit inconsistent or long, which could be frustrating. They also just moved the practice to a brand new floor on an area by itself so you don't have to interact with the obgyn patients, and have brand new rooms / machines...You don't see much of the dr, most everyday items are handled by the nurses and other staff
Investment Banker
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
She was a good communicator and direct. She explained the process and logic of each step well. At one point we had an early miscarriage, and she was sympathetic but not overly so.
Generally very good, but sometimes the wait times were very long (and frustrating)
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The nurses were great. Waiting times were a bit inconsistent or long, which could be frustrating. They also just moved the practice to a brand new floor on an area by itself so you don't have to interact with the obgyn patients, and have brand new rooms / machines

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr Attaman listens well and was willing to try things that I brought up while speaking with her (testing me for gene mutations, etc), whether or not they would be any help in the long run. Not that she would test me at random, but after her long list of tests I brought up a few and she was willing to indulge me.
Dr Attaman was always very caring and was able to answer or at least try to answer any and all questions and ideas I had. She was willing to test me for things that I came across in my hours of online research. She was always caring and compassionate and in the end was correct in why I kept having recurrent miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard.
Just how sensitive and caring they all were....I left feeling like they really truly care about me as a person...not just one patient among many.
Jill Attaman

2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I utilized almost every HVMA location due to a busy commuting life. All the nurses and phlebotomist were great.... I was first referred to Dr. Obasiolu to uncover my endometriosis. He was thorough and honest and kept my interests at heart. I say that because he understood our situation and I felt he could empathize well. I enjoyed his appointments and sometimes a quick joke here and there.... Can't recall as it's been a few years but it was antagonist using gonal f and menopur.
2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I was first referred to Dr. Obasiolu to uncover my endometriosis. He was thorough and honest and kept my interests at heart. I say that because he understood our situation and I felt he could empathize well. I enjoyed his appointments and sometimes a quick joke here and there. :)
Ask questions since the doctors can't read your mind. They don't know what your worried about.
Dr. Obasiolu was always polite and patient. We had a lot of questions and nerves when we first met him and he really went above and beyond to help us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Covered by insurance
2020
Dr. Obasiolu is clear and direct. There were often many steps to prepare us for, and he always let us know what to expect next, pausing for questions (which we always had). He did a good job of navigating the complexities and disruptions of COVID-19 on the fertility practice...will provide details and offer objective advice when prompted, but the appointments move fast so come prepared--and take notes...makes a point of pausing to answer questions throughout the visits.
The [Harvard Vanguard] clinic at Kenmore is well-organized and the care team is warm and competent. They did a good job of navigating treatment during COVID-19, which required reorganizing how they operate multiple times...Dr. Obasiolu makes a point of pausing to answer questions throughout the visits...Dr. Obasiolu is clear and direct. There were often many steps to prepare us for, and he always let us know what to expect next, pausing for questions (which we always had). He did a good job of navigating the complexities and disruptions of COVID-19 on the fertility practice.
2020
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Speak up and ask all of your questions. Dr. Obasiolu will provide details and offer objective advice when prompted, but the appointments move fast so come prepared--and take notes.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The clinic at Kenmore is well-organized and the care team is warm and competent. They did a good job of navigating treatment during COVID-19, which required reorganizing how they operate multiple times.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
[Dr. Kovalevsky] was always kind, patient, and thorough, answering all of our questions. He even called me himself once or twice...took the time to explain his recommendations as to how we should proceed and why, which I appreciated. When our 2nd IUI failed, he called us to come in and discussed in person why he felt IVF was a better route for us at this point. I am glad we listened. He was confident that we would get a good number of eggs and he was right. He also explained what we should expect, and I felt prepared about everything going into the IVF cycle.
All the communication [at Harvard Vanguard] is done by calling, although they do have the online system, it was always better to call. Sometimes there were long waits before I could speak to someone. On the positive side, I was always able to get in for appointments when I needed to and was able to go to other locations if I needed to be there on the weekend. Someone always called me back pretty quickly...All of the nurses were great. There were 4 and I felt we really got to know each other during all my time there. I was sad to leave my team when it was time to change to OB! Chris is awesome. I also loved the ultrasound tech ladies! I hope they are still there when we go back for baby number 2!
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr K took the time to explain his recommendations as to how we should proceed and why, which I appreciated. When our 2nd IUI failed, he called us to come in and discussed in person why he felt IVF was a better route for us at this point. I am glad we listened. He was confident that we would get a good number of eggs and he was right. He also explained what we should expect, and I felt prepared about everything going into the IVF cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard?
Don't be afraid to ask him lots of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr K was always kind, patient, and thorough, answering all of our questions. He even called me himself once or twice, when usually it's just the nurses.
Describe the protocols George Kovalevsky used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
We started with 2 rounds of timed intercourse using clomid, both resulting in negative pregnancy tests. On the third try, we changed to femera and IUI, which resulted in a positive pregnancy test, but unfortunately ended in early miscarriage. On the 4th try, we repeated the same treatment, although Dr. K expressed IVF was a better option. However, we felt since it "worked" with IUI it could work again, so wanted to try that one more time. When that didn't work, Dr. K called us to come in and explained again that IVF would be a better route for us. So we agreed. We had to take a month off, but it was smooth sailing after that. Dr. K monitored how I was reacting to meds and adjusted accordingly. Because I ended up with 29 eggs retrieved and high estrogen levels, Dr K wanted to do a "Freeze all cycle" to improve our chances of implantation/transfer success. Again we had to take a month off, but then I had an easy protocol for the transfer. It was femera, a trigger shot, then a week later did the transfer. I asked Dr K if I could avoid the PIO shots and we did crinone (progesterone) suppositories instead. The transfer procedure went well, but it was not performed by Dr K. (The doctors rotate at our clinic for actual procedures)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Christine French)
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
All the communication is done by calling, although they do have the online system, it was always better to call. Sometimes there were long waits before I could speak to someone. On the positive side, I was always able to get in for appointments when I needed to and was able to go to other locations if I needed to be there on the weekend. Someone always called me back pretty quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard.
We had a high deductible insurance plan, so we paid for everything out of pocket until we hit that amount. Then everything was covered. We have a lifetime max fertility policy of up to $25k.
Describe George Kovalevsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
Dr K felt we should do a single embryo transfer and gave his reasons for wanting to do so (although I can't recall them all now), but he felt strongly about it so we agreed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
Early on, they found a cyst on my left ovary. It took a few months before anyone told me it was actually an endometrioma. Had I known that fact, I may have chosen to get surgery to remove it or move straight to IVF as opposed to doing those 2 IUIs. I do not blame Dr K, as he wasn't with the practice yet when that occurred.
George Kovalevsky
Burlington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard.

I felt very listened to and respected by Dr. Kovalevsky. He always gave me time to gather my thoughts and ask all of the questions I could think of. He respected my wishes and adjusted my treatment accordingly, so I felt like I had more control over what was happening with my body. He is a straight talker; he was always very clear and easy to understand...retrieved 10 mature eggs, which produced 4 embryos after ICSI.
The nursing staff [at Harvard Vanguard] was always prompt and friendly. They did their jobs efficiently and I didn't spend a lot of time waiting...has so much under one roof, it makes it very easy to see specialists...I was thrilled to find out I would be working with Harvard Vanguard throughout the whole process, and only do the procedures at Boston IVF. I was able to go to the clinic early in the morning to get my blood work and ultrasound done, so it had a very minimal impact on my work schedule. I received phone calls with my test results and instructions, but my test results and medication information also always showed in my patient portal.
How was your experience with George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard?
Be prepared for your appointments so that you can ask questions. He is very willing to answer any questions and adjust your treatment accordingly.
Dr. Kovalevsky really listened to me in every appointment that we had. He never rushed me to ask questions, he gave me time to think after he provided me iwth information. When he saw me in the waiting room, even for appointments that weren't with him, he stopped and said hello and asked how I was. I saw the same nurses and techs during my treatment, and they were always friendly. It made the experience feel much more personal than clinical.
We used an antagonist protocol. I talked to Dr. Kovalevsky about lower doses, and he agreed, since my test results indicated I would be a good responder. I was prescribed 250 units of Gonal F and 20 units of HcG dilution. I went in for bloodwork and an ultrasound every other day, and I responded well to the protocol. We did not have to make any adjustments to my dosages. I also took 0.25 mg of Cetrotide. We used 10,000 units of HcG as a trigger shot, since my bloodwork and ultrasounds did not show a risk of OHSS. I took my trigger shot on Day 9, with my retrieval on Day 11. They retrieved 10 mature eggs, which produced 4 embryos after ICSI.
The nursing staff was always prompt and friendly. They did their jobs efficiently and I didn't spend a lot of time waiting.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
I have always loved that Harvard Vanguard has so much under one roof, it makes it very easy to see specialists. Therefore, I was thrilled to find out I would be working with Harvard Vanguard throughout the whole process, and only do the procedures at Boston IVF. I was able to go to the clinic early in the morning to get my blood work and ultrasound done, so it had a very minimal impact on my work schedule. I received phone calls with my test results and instructions, but my test results and medication information also always showed in my patient portal. I found the process very easy at Harvard Vanguard. Probably the only drawback is that only 3 locations handle IVF. I live close to Burlington, so that was the most convenient for me, but I did have to go to Kenmore when Burlington wasn't open. If you didn't live close to one of the IVF locations, it might be a bit harder to coordinate all of the appointments.
My medications came to approximately $600. My appointments with Dr. Kovalevsky had a $40 specialist copay. My egg retrieval and embryo transfer at Boston IVF came to $9,400. Freezing an extra sample of sperm was $325. I was fortunate that my insurance completely covered my IVF costs. Total cost to me and my husband was about $1,000.
Due to my age and health, we decided eSET very easily. Dr. Kovalevsky talked about the additional risks incurred with multiples. My insurance also set conditions on how many embryos could be transferred, so we would have had to do eSET regardless.
George Kovalevsky