Harvard Vanguard

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
133 Brookline Avenue
617-774-0600
230 Worcester Street
Wellesley, MA 02481
781-431-5400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Harvard Vanguard to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 18Neutral: 7Don't recommend: 87.5
6 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
All of my interactions with Dr. Skiadas, the nurses, and the medical team have been positive. However, Harvard Vanguard is a big operation and can, at times, feel like a machine. There are definite (for me) upsides to that in terms of ease of scheduling (for US, for IUI, etc.) and convenience of multiple locations. ...The nurses have also been very available to answer questions... They have always been warm, professional, and thorough. But if you want a more one on one experience or a lot of time with your physician this may not be the practice for you.
6 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The Center for Fertility and Reproductive Medicine at Harvard Vanguard is a large practice, with offices in several locations. That contributes to a lot of positives with respect to convenience - generally being able to schedule diagnostics (ultrasounds, labs) and basic procedures (IUIs) at a time and location of your preference. It can, however, at times lead to it feeling a bit like a factory. While my experiences with the medical team have always been positive, I have dealt almost exclusively with the nurses and by phone rather than in person. They have always been warm, professional, and thorough. But if you want a more one on one experience or a lot of time with your physician this may not be the practice for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
All of my interactions with Dr. Skiadas, the nurses, and the medical team have been positive. However, Harvard Vanguard is a big operation and can, at times, feel like a machine. There are definite (for me) upsides to that in terms of ease of scheduling (for US, for IUI, etc.) and convenience of multiple locations. The size also means that you're one of many patients and so for the most part my interactions have not been directly with Dr. Skiadas but rather with the nurses. Personally, that hasn't bothered me. I feel like I have always been able to get questions answered and the team is responsive. And when I have had interactions with Dr. Skiadas she is warm, clear, and straightforward.
Both Caitlin and Liz are warm and compassionate and great communicators. They have been readily available for consultation and follow up questions.
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is clearly knowledgeable, compassionate, and understanding. I have chosen to try to become a mother on my own (SMC) and have never felt anything but support from her. Her approach has been clear and honest, and progressive relative to what has happened. Again, while I have primarily interacted with the nurses and other members of the medical team, rather than Dr. Skiadas, that hasn't troubled me and so far the convenience offered by the large practice has been a plus.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Because of the nature of the practice, and the opportunities to interact with Dr. Skiadas directly tend to be more limited, I would recommend being prepared to ask all your questions in those consultations if it's important for you to get answers from your RE. The nurses have also been very available to answer questions, but some patients may feel strongly about communicating directly with their physician.
Describe the protocols Christine Skiadas used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Dr. Skiadas' plan and preference was to do three natural cycles of IUI. The first cycle I did was completely natural and I had a short luteal phase and early period (less than two weeks post-insemination). After that, Dr. Skiadas added a progesterone suppository to the next IUI to help maintain a pregnancy if indeed fertilization and insemination happened. IUI's 2 and 3 were natural, and 2 was with a trigger shot. The 4th was with Clomid and a trigger shot and progesterone, the 5th (due to a cyst being present) was unmedicated but with trigger and progesterone. And the 6th was with Clomid, a trigger shot, and progesterone. Cycles 1-5 did not produce a pregnancy. I am currently in Cycle 6.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard.
To date (after 6 IUIs), I have had to pay a co-pay for IUIs and for the HSG test, as well as a copay for medication (Clomid, progesterone). Labs and ultrasound monitoring were covered by insurance.
2011 - 2017
Tracey [a nurse at Harvard Vanguard] calls me at every stage of the cycle once the cycle begins. she is thorough, clear and concise with instructions. she has also provided a shoulder to cry on when things do not go as planned.... My first cycle was successful (live birth- my daughter is 3.5 years old now) but i had hyper stimulation and was on bedrest for 8 weeks. following the birth of my daughter we have varied the protocols. at 40 my egg quantity is good but the quality is bad. we have changed the protocol, letrozole this time around, to try to get fewer but better quality eggs.
2011 - 2017
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Our family goes to Harvard Vanguard in Wellesley for EVERYTHING. Pediatrics, primary care, fertility. You name it. They are awesome. We always receive the best care possible. I am FUSSY and I love them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
I am a difficult case. Dr Lee has never given up on us. We have a beautiful 3.5 year old daughter and are trying for our second now. I have had an ectopic, a miscarriage but we will continue to try. i am confident we will have another child with Dr Lees help. Her nurses, Tracey and Kristine, are awesome. I would (and have) recommended Dr Lee to family and friends. If you do exactly as she says you will end up pregnant. You can not miss appointments though. The timing of everything in fertility is critical.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Tracy and Kristine)
Tracey calls me at every stage of the cycle once the cycle begins. she is thorough, clear and concise with instructions. she has also provided a shoulder to cry on when things do not go as planned.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
I have PCOS and do not ovulate regularly. my egg quantity is good but the quality is not great. With Dr Lee's help I have a 3.5 year old daughter and we are trying for our second. I have had an above average amount of bad luck (ectopic, miscarriage at 8 weeks due to trisomy at chromosome 20) but she and het team have never given up on me. We have changed the protocol overtime over the course of our 4 cycles (starting cycle 5 today) over the past 5 years and I have received the best possible care. Dr Lee has come in early (before the office opens) to meet with me. She has changed HER schedule to make sure SHE could perform procedures HERSELF to make sure I am getting the best care possible. She is very scientific and somewhat blunt. thats her style. But if you follow her instructions EXACTLY you will end up pregnant in no time. I have full faith in her and would (and have) recommended her to anyone that asks me about my experience with infertility. She is awesome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
She is a little scary, blunt. Not a warm and fuzzy personality. Until you get to know her. She is at the top of her game and a leader in her field so just do exactly what she recommends. she is the doctor that other doctors go to when they need advice on challenging cases.
Describe the protocols Grace Lee used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard.
BCBS has been great. Deductibles, office visits co-pays and recently the out of pocket cost for the PGS
Describe Grace Lee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
Dr Lee tries to find a balance between success and limiting the chances of multiples. the risks are much much higher with multiples. expect her to always be conservative in this dept.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Always got a call back [from the nurses at Harvard Vanguard] in a timely fashion. Nursing (and reception) was super well organized. If they didn’t know the answer, they would ask my doctor and always get back to me. This is a hard and emotional process— they were always fantastic without exception...multiple locations are helpful!...I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Skiadas. She was compassionate to my unfortunate struggle , but was also Very honest about expectations. She always had a plan and my trust in her never waivered.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Fabulous— multiple locations are helpful!
Fabulous! Always got a call back in a timely fashion. Nursing (and reception) was super well organized. If they didn’t know the answer, they would ask my doctor and always get back to me. This is a hard and emotional process— they were always fantastic without exception.
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
If I had to do this process 1000 Times, I still would only choose Dr. Skiadas to coordinate my care. She performed several surgical procedures on me and I trusted her judgement and clinical skills above anyone else. Every time I had a procedure done at the hospital, all of the nurses would say “oh, you are so lucky to have Dr. Skiadas”. I could not agree more. Not only did she work to surgically improve a problem that is quite rare and not well understood, she also was always there to answer question and provide guidance and emotional support along the way during our visits. Once my issue was surgically improved, we did several rounds of Ivf. And— while it was certainly a long road— I have a beautiful baby to show for it. I could not be more grateful for dr. Skiadas. I feel like I owe her the world.
Wait for her no matter how long it takes. She is the only doctor I would ever see. Trust her process— it works!
I had multiple surgeries in the operating room prior to starting Ivf with dr. Skiadas. She performed all of my surgeries and the entire process was seamless. Once my uterus was improved, we did an IUI which was successful but ended in miscarriage. She was so compassionate during this time and helped me recover both physically and emotionally. We then did IVF and had an unsuccessful transfer x 2. The third one worked and I have a perfect little baby to show for it.
Describe Christine Skiadas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
She strongly recommended single transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Cash Pay - No insurance Dr. Lee - $750 IVF New England - $12,900 Meds - $7500 Sperm Retrieval - $1900 Sperm Analysis - $1200 Other (Pre-IVF appointments, ultrasounds and Labs) not included in numbers above...I had a horrible experience with New England IVF upon dropping off my partners contributions. I called Dr. Lee's office and the entire staff was very helpful, compassionate and understanding. Dr. Lee called the lab and called me back herself to reassure me that everything was handled properly. My retrieval and transfer went well. The doctor and nurses were excellent and very supportive. One of the nurses even gave me a hug as I left my transfer! Upon the loss of the pregnancy, the nurses and Dr.Lee were very understanding and caring in life changing situation.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
She took the time to listen, explain my situation and answer questions. However, I would have like more information on the actual process as this was our first time. I did not know all the questions to ask. Upon implantation, the office follow-up was comprehensive and then when I lost the pregnancy, Dr. Lee was very supportive and emphatic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard.
Very helpful in answering my questions and calling me back promptly.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Lee was very cautious about any supplements other than prenatal vitamins. I was advised to stop all supplements that I was taking under the guidance of my acupuncturist. It seemed a little odd not to take Vita C, D,DHA/EPA, etc.
For first timers, ask her what you should know that you don't know or haven't asked because you don't know what to ask.
Plan described below is exactly that a plan. It may vary based on blood work and Ultrasounds Overviewof situation: 40 years old, no previous children, partner had a Vasectomy 10+ years ago, low egg reserve, Hashimoto's and high prolactin Plan: Estrogen Patch - every other day - Just beginning cycle with estrogen patch and post transfer Gonal F 300ml x2 a day for 20 days - extremely long stim cycle as my body was not responding. Never added Menopur Ganirelix - 5 shots Novarel - trigger shot ICSI and assisted hactching Doxycycline- x2 a day for 4 days around retrieval Medrol - One pill daily beginning the day of retrieval and ending the day of embryo transfer Crinone once a day from transfer to loss of pregnancy
Boston
I felt that burlington office was nice, but the schedule was inflexible. I thought it was confusing to have to go to other locations. I went to Welseley only because I didn't want to drive into Boston...I was waiting for the genetic testing of the embryos to come back. They were back and Jill Attaman did not call me. I had to create a little drama with the staff to get her on the phone to call me with the results (which I had already waited 2 weeks).
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Jill Attaman was too busy for me. Even her staff commented several times on how busy she was. Also they are merging with Boston IVF, so I felt I was always being shifted around.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Chris)
At the Burlington location it was Chris. She was lovely but all by herself so it was often left leaving messages. I often got routed to the Wellesley location to speak to others to. It was very confusing who to call. Then on weekends it was to call Kenmore location to, which was odd and very hard to get through.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Jill Attaman was very nice. However, I felt like I wasn't given any attention. I felt confused who to call and ask questions to. She only has one nurse at the Burlington location. I felt like she didn't care and didn't answer my questions easily. I'm not sure if them merging with Boston IVF was playing a role in this.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Ask questions, and ask her to be direct.
Describe the protocols Jill Attaman used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
We did Gonal F, which is very expensive. There was one other injection to but I can't remember. We did the trigger shot and the retrieval in Lexington. We did genetic testing this time which is costly. Unfortunately the three embryos that did test came back all abnormal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard.
This part was the nightmare! We were denied from Blue Cross Blue Shield. They denied me on an old test from another doctor I was not seeing. The very information they denied me for was from a past cycle they approved. Jill Attaman although supported me I feel should could have worked harder to help appeal the decision. The cycle was incomplete because we did the genetic testing . We had no transfer, which would have cost more. When I paid for the cycle the accountant said I was all Set but the transfer was never paid for and I thought it was because she said I was all paid in full.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's [Harvard Vanguard] office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Again, some conflicting instructions coming from Boston IVF and the doctor's office/nurse, which led me to lose confidence in the whole practice.
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
Conflicting instructions among the nurses, lack of communication on critical information -- which caused a cycle to get canceled.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
I found Dr. Lee to be a little misleading more than once. At first she said insurance would probably cover my treatment because my tubes are blocked but then the next time I saw her, she'd done a complete 180 and reversed her stance saying the probability of that happening was low because my husband had had a vasectomy, which she knew from the beginning. There were other incidents (too long to describe here) that made me lose confidence in her practice. She also didn't explain to me at all from the very beginning that she would not be doing all my procedures -- egg retrieval, egg transfer -- which would have perhaps been a determining factor in picking her and her clinic for my first cycle.
Assume nothing and double check and double confirm every piece of information coming from her office. Also, the proverbial "ask a lot of questions" -- but many people don't even know what questions to ask! Just do a lot of research on IVF cycles and potential protocols and don't be afraid to question or second-guess her.
I was never explained the rationale for the protocol Dr. Lee decided for me, but it was a patch antagonist protocol. It yielded an amazing amount of eggs: 10 were retrieved. But only 3 of those were fertilized.
We paid about $22,000 total for one cycle.
I did not get a good education on the trade offs between multiple embryo transfer vs. single.
Boston
Tracy [nurse at Harvard Vanguard] is very knowledgeable and caring. She always kept me informed of what the next steps were and what each of my results meant. I knew she was truly rooting for me and was so genuinely happy for me when I was successful. I always felt supported by Tracy and all the staff at the office...The staff in the office truly treated me as a person. Not just my doctor and nurse, but everyone (untrasound tech/receptionist/lab staff) knew me by name. They really went out of their way in terms of scheduling for ultrasounds to accommodate my work schedule which was critical for me.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Dr. Lee knew both my husband and I by name and the details of our history. Even early on in my treatment when I was in the office for ultrasound/blood work and I happened to see her she remarkably knew exactly who I was and what stage in the cycle I was in.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Tracy)
Tracy is very knowledgeable and caring. She always kept me informed of what the next steps were and what each of my results meant. I knew she was truly rooting for me and was so genuinely happy for me when I was successful. I always felt supported by Tracy and all the staff at the office.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
After reading some of the more critical reviews on this site, I am struck by the fact that it could not be more different than my experience with Dr. Lee. I could not be more happy with my experience with Dr. Lee and would, and have, recommended her to anyone struggling with infertility. Not only did I find her to be incredibly knowledgeable, but I always felt she was fighting for me and in my corner. Dr. Lee goes above and beyond for her patients. By way of example, after receiving some particularly disappointing test results, I was devastated. Dr. Lee could tell how upset I was and had my husband and I come in for an office visit (fitting us in during her already booked schedule) and talked everything through with us. The compassion and empathy she showed us helped us get through the most difficult time in my life and has stuck with me to this day. Dr. Lee also appealed my insurance company’s decision to require several IUIs prior to authorizing an IVF cycle and really fought for me. Unfortunately my insurance did require prior IUI’s, and I then developed cysts. During one particular cycle when I had a promising number of antral follicles but also a large cyst, Dr. Lee talked with me about draining the cyst in an effort to take advantage of the fact that I had more follicles to work with than any prior cycle. Dr. Lee drove out to IVF New England in Lexington, extremely early in the morning before her already full schedule for the day, in order to perform the procedure herself. Ultimately, this was the cycle that worked for me. Due to Dr. Lee’s knowledge, care, and ability to adapt treatment as the cycle unfolds, I was able to successfully convert that IUI cycle to IVF and now have a healthy 10-month-old son! These are just a few examples of what sets Dr. Lee apart from other doctors. Undoubtedly she knows her “stuff” so to speak, but I found her personal care and her willingness to go above and beyond (almost certainly at the expense of her own personal time) to be unmatched. As all infertility patients know, the journey is so extraordinarily sad but Dr. Lee’s encouragement kept me and my husband hopeful. I sincerely felt that she was rooting for us, would not give up on us, and when we were successful, truly shared in our over-the-moon excitement. I will forever be grateful for her treatment and care and would highly recommend her.
Insurance
Wellesley
Once or twice the blood test hadn't been called in [at Harvard Vanguard] when I showed up to have it taken. However, the nurses were able to contact Dr Attaman's office and get the tests ordered while I waited. This was the only issue I had...I liked that the IVF patients had early appointments so I could do the ultrasounds and bloods tests before work. They are very busy though and getting in for the first appointment took a long time. They also have several locations that you can go to in combination during a cycle, so I could pick whichever location was most convenient on any given day.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
She always took the time to make sure if we had any questions, that she tried to answer to the best of her ability. We didn't feel rushed at appointments. We felt like she genuinely cared about us.
After we met with Dr. Attaman and agreed on next steps, the nurses then met with us separately to review the next steps in detail and answer any specific questions about the drugs I had to take or the process and next steps. hey were very thorough an understanding and took as much time as we needed to get our questions answered.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Attaman was great to work with. She was kind and compassionate, and due to all our trouble conceiving, she was thinking about us and always searching for other options or second opinions from her peers if she didn't know what the best next steps were. She occasionally called me directly to review test results.
We started with 2 IUI's, then moved onto IVF. She allowed us to gradually try increasing doses of the fertility drugs rather than jumping in to the highest levels. She didn't push us to do more expensive (and not covered by insurance) testing, but offered them as an option for our consideration. In the end we conceived naturally on a month between IVF cycles.
Our insurance covered just about all of our treatments and testing, and fertility medications. Co pays varied but were not too expensive.
2011 - 2016
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
HVMA Wellesley is organized, clean and efficient. The ultrasound tech is caring and funny, and news is shared efficiently. The online option for communication is excellent...[Nurse] Tracy has been doing this for a long time, she's seen it all. She has a great sense of humor and is warm and caring. She's happy to answer any and all questions that come up...
2011 - 2016
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Dr. Lee and the nurses remembered personal information about me and recognized my particular case. Every cycle was evaluated from the start and tweaked based on what we had learned during the previous cycle.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Lee is very smart and very straightforward. She is not warm and fuzzy but she is as accessible and logical as they come. She's one of the more conservative RE's, as far as I can tell, but her rates speak for themselves. She gets the job done.
In 2013, we did 3 clomid/IUI cycles that resulted in negative tests. We then did one IVF cycle using Gonal F/Menopur that gave us 4 mature eggs. We did a 3-day transfer of 1 (the only one that remained at the time) that resulted in a healthy pregnancy and birth. In 2015/2016, we did 3 IVF retrievals and 4 transfers. The first was a Gonal F/Menopur cycle that resulted in 8 mature eggs. We had only two medium-grade embryos on Day 3 so we transferred one and did not get pregnant. The second was a Gonal F/Menopur cycle that resulted in 13 mature eggs. We were required to freeze all post-retrieval because my progesterone was high during the medicated portion (meaning that my lining would not have been receptive to a transfer). All but 1 embryo failed to make it to Day 5, we transferred the one high-quality embryo remaining and did not get pregnant. The third retrieval cycle we switched the protocol to a Gonal F/Lupron medicated cycle. 22 embryos were retrieved and 5 high quality Day 5 embryos were frozen. I overstimulated on the new protocol and once again had to freeze all, this time due to high estrogen. We then did an FET of one frozen embryo that did not result in pregnancy, but had 4 frozen embryos remaining. We then did an FET of two frozen embryos that resulted in a twin pregnancy.
We have great coverage under BCBS MA and paid 10% of all fees until we reached $1,000 out of pocket, after which BCBS paid 100%. We paid 10% of prescription drugs costs.
Wellesley
The nurse manager [at Harvard Vanguard] is good. The nurse coordinators are painful and provide the wrong information which is very challenging in an IVF cycle where one misstep can cost you an entire cycle....The first nurse miscommunicated my menopur dose. That was just the start..... The second nurse didn’t communicate my trigger accurately. Also had issues with the blood work in the lab... I’m not 100% confident in the lab. Only in the sense that they didn’t seem to do the more recent innovative things, like PICSI
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Dr Skiadas is great. The nurse manager is good. The nurse coordinators are painful and provide the wrong information which is very challenging in an IVF cycle where one misstep can cost you an entire cycle.
Dr. Skiadas herself took time to answer questions, check in with me during a loss, and was considerate. I had lots of technical questions which she was patient with. The only reason I didn’t rate her the absolute highest was the nurse staff which were often poor communicators
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is compassionate, caring, and I felt she was truly interested in getting me pregnant. She was patient with questions. I enjoyed seeing her during visits. I wish I saw her more during treatment
Come armed with questions, information about who will communicate with you and how, and how you can reach her personally if there is a staff communications issue.
Textbook antagonist protocol with a traditional hcg trigger. There was a miscommunication along the way and the nurse increased my menopur along the way, yet my Doctor hadn’t recorded it. I’m convinced this is why I had so many eggs and a mild case of OHSS. She did not recommend ICSI or PGS due to my age and the severity of my husbands MFI. When we did a second cycle, I did antagonist again with a lower menopur dose, CoQ10 for my husband and I both, thyroid meds for me, ICSI due to low fertilization rate the first time around, and PGS due to a loss.
I used insurance so we only paid for PGS
She wanted to transfer more than one due to my age, but my insurance required an eSET for the first attempt. It just worked out that each time I did a cycle and transfer, I had one embryo remaining and insurance did not allow banking.
2012 - 2013
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
We would call [the staff at Harvard Vanguard] with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clin
2012 - 2013
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
However, I think that the worst thing about our overall experience may actually have been our interactions with Dr. Obasiolu's clinic infrastructure and his ancillary staff. Everyone with whom we interfaced was (at best) rude and (at worst) actively obstructive to our care. We would call with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clinic on our worst enemy. I was so overwhelmed and scared by the whole process that I did not appropriately self-advocate - and as a result, we wasted a whole year and suffered through a lot of emotional grief that likely was unnecessary. I don't mean to imply that our subsequent experiences with IVF were a picnic - they also were quite stressful - but having a physician that we loved and trusted through the journey made the experience so much better.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I do not think that Dr. Obasiolu is a monster, so my intention is not to vilify him as a person. But the impression that we received from him was that he did not care about us (beyond our insurance payments to his practice) - essentially, he barely knew us, and his bedside manner was terrible. In the spirit of full disclosure - my husband and I are both physicians, and I specialize in pediatric palliative care - so bedside manner and communication is extremely important to me. Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Even worse than his suboptimal demeanor and professionalism, we now also retroactively question his medical fund of knowledge and treatment planning. Despite a year of "testing" and "treating" us (which included a failed IVF cycle), he never diagnosed either my husband or myself with any issues. Within a month of seeing our new physician, however, we learned that my husband had anti-sperm antibodies cross-linking his spermatids, entirely impeding their motility. Because we had such trouble communicating with Dr. Obasiolu (and there was such tremendous lack of transparency with every step of the process in his clinic), we don't know whether or not he did ICSI with our IVF. Without ICSI, there is no way that my husband's sperm could have successfully fertilized any of my eggs, and the entire cycle would have been a waste of money (not to mention a huge strain on our emotional reserve). After we switched to our current physician, we also learned that I was underproducing a specific hormone precursor, and I was started on a supplement for this. Who knows if this made a difference or not (although we did have a successful IVF cycle with our new doctor) - but we were so appreciative of the thoroughness and thoughtfulness that our new doctor applied to our case. He demonstrated a comprehensive and sophisticated fund of knowledge regarding the synthesis and metabolism of hormone precursors that we very much doubt Dr. Obasiolu had. Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard.
Mostly covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, as mandated and the state of Massachusetts.
2014 - 2017
Dr. Skiadas and her team [at Harvard Vanguard] are great; I have heard nightmares about her colleagues (one in particular). Stick with Dr. Skiadas and don't see one of her colleagues in the event she is unavailable for something...We had a few hiccups with nursing staff not totally being on top of the treatment plan (assuming we were following a standard course when Dr. Skiadas had recommended some uncommon changes). They were all very kind and supportive, just maybe didn't spend enough time reviewing charts before making calls.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Dr. Skiadas and her team are great; I have heard nightmares about her colleagues (one in particular). Stick with Dr. Skiadas and don't see one of her colleagues in the event she is unavailable for something.
Dr. Skiadas is amazing. She really seems to care about all her patients (both me and my spouse), and always remembers (or is really good at writing notes and reviewing before the next appt) personal details about me and the conversations we had. She is respectful of our goals and desires, and always asks for our input.
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is very skillful as a physician and a wonderful, warm person. She is incredibly knowledgeable, but won't hesitate to consult with colleagues if a situation arises that she hasn't treated before. She was appropriately aggressive and didn't try the same thing that failed too many times. She truly seemed to care.
It is worth the wait for appointments to see her; don't settle for another doctor at the practice!
Insurance copays.
She recommended a single embryo transfer based on my age and other factors, but was very patient as I asked her about a lot of statistics, the possibility of a selective reduction if we transferred multiples, etc. She never judged but gently advised what she thought was best.
Boston
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient...When I left Harvard Vanguard to move to another clinic they were very slow to share my data...Sadly I did not have a good experinece with Dr. Lee. She is a straightforward doctor. She dosen't show passion for her patient. She does not consider the patient's symptoms but will follow a standard procedures. This might not be entirely her fault, be due to the Harvard Vanguard standard procedure and luck of flexibility. She is fast and direct. For some this might work.
European, Prefer not to answer
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Harvard Vanguard is convenient because of its multiple locations in boston and cambridge. This is helpful for blood work and ultrasound. Harvard Vanguard is part of IVF new england. There are not a fertility clinic in their own right.
She followed a standard protocol for all the treatments I had. Without considering my endometriosis (which she denied I had) or my AMH levels.
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
To challenge her assumptions. Be informed and prepared ahead.
Despite of my clear symptoms of endometriosis. Dr. Lee diagnose us as unexplained. This wrong diagnose lead to 3 failed IUI which could have been avoided if she would send me directly for a Laparoscopy. (Where I later find out the poor state of my tubes). It also lead to 2 failed embryo transfer. Since the protocol was not adapt for a patient suffering endometriosis. She didn't use a suppressive protocol but a standard antagonist protocol without the use of the pill in the first phase.
All costs were covered by the insurance.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Transfers and retrievals [for Harvard Vangaurd] are done at Boston IVF, I didn't realize that at first, but it's fine. Otherwise I love that they're part of a larger health care network so you have multiple locations that you can use and transferring to an OB within that network is easy...Everyone I spoke to were very compasionate and answered my many, many questions...Natural frozen cycle (the BEST IVF treatment I've ever done). She [Dr. Skiadas] also did a lupron protocol for the egg retrieval and used high does CoQ6 during stimulation that resulted in a lot of viable embryos
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Transfers and retrievals are done at Boston IVF, I didn't realize that at first, but it's fine. Otherwise I love that they're part of a larger health care network so you have multiple locations that you can use and transferring to an OB within that network is easy.
She was very straight with me about what was happening, what the odds were, etc and then actually let us make the decisions
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Chris French)
Everyone I spoke to were very compasionate and answered my many, many questions
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
She was very compassionate and understanding. Was patient with my issues, I'm not great at this. Let me make informed decisions about everything, did not try to sell me any procedures, made us feel like it would be fine if we quit at any time.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, she'll give you an accurate answer.
Natural frozen cycle (the BEST IVF treatment I've ever done). She also did a lupron protocol for the egg retrieval and used high does CoQ6 during stimulation that resulted in a lot of viable embryos.
Covered by insurance
She will only transfer one unless there's a reason to do more. In my case we did genetic testing on day 5 embryos, no reason to do more than 1
Quincy
They [the nurses at Harvard Vangaurd] were simply amazing. They explained everything very well and were so sweet and helpful. I felt like they were 100% committed to helping me...The front desk staff was super helpful and there were several locations so I was able to get my appoitments in when I needed them. They also sent me to more local clinics whenver possible so I could avoid a nasty commute
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
She and her nurses were genuinely invested in our success. They were SO excited to call and tell me I was pregnant. They squeezed in ultrasounds before office hours if they couldn’t get me in when I needed one based on my cycle.
They were simply amazing. They explained everything very well and were so sweet and helpful. I felt like they were 100% committed to helping me
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
To be honest I think I only saw her once or twice. She was nice and knowledgeable but I didn’t get the majority of my info from her. She did explain the tests that I was getting and next steps but she was not overly friendly or talkative, which is fine with me
Ask as many questions as possible
I only used letrozole for 2 cycles. I got pregnant both times but the first time my numbers dropped quickly.
Everything was covered by my insurance. I just had to pay copays
Burlington
I find HVMA [Harvard Vanguard] to be extremely organized and well run. The nursing staff overall are wonderful, however, when you get reassigned, sometimes it is not seamless. You have to make sure you ask questions, clarify all timelines and treatments and double check med levels. Usually they are spot on, but make sure you are your own advocate.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Extremely organized, thoughtful and thorough. They have a patient system that you can log onto to get various test results, see upcoming appointments and most importantly ask questions of your providers. If it is an emergency, make sure to call. They are very responsive.
Dr. Skiadas is thoughtful and kind and takes her time with us, always. She is sympathetic when she needs to be and hopeful when she needs to be. She is great at explaining the facts in a way that we can understand and is always empathetic of what we as the patients are going through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Liz and Sue)
I find HVMA to be extremely organized and well run. The nursing staff overall are wonderful, however, when you get reassigned, sometimes it is not seamless. You have to make sure you ask questions, clarify all timelines and treatments and double check med levels. Usually they are spot on, but make sure you are your own advocate.
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
My experience with Dr. Skiadas, although we have not been successful yet in having a child, has been positive. I do not think that I could have made it this far without someone so intelligent thoughtful and caring.
None.
IUI and first round fully covered. Subsequent rounds I had to pay for the screenings and monitorings.
Boston
[Harvard Vanguard - Ken] Not all testing is done at Kenmore I also had to drive to Quincy which was not easy during the workday. It was also very difficult to have any medical records forwarded to my new clinic. It took months of back and forth and I still didn’t get my complete record...I only had a few appointments with Dr. Lee but the nurses were always great and compassionate. Also easy to reach and leave messages for...It was very difficult for my new clinic to obtain my medical records.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
She seemed easy to talk to and didn’t speak over our heads with medical jargon I wouldn’t understand.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
She was nice and easy to speak with. She explained the IVF process easily so I understood. After a lot of initial testing I was told I had nothing wrong and to start clomid. I felt like she wanted to put me on medication just to start the process for my insurance company and then move forward to IVF. I didn’t get a great feeling about this since I was in pain monthly on my left side. I also mentioned this to Dr. Lee and was assured it was probably ovulation pain. After my first few appointments I decided to get a second opinion.
Boston
The nurses [at Harvard Vanguard] approached the treatment steps in a very organized and easy to understand format. They printed out calendars with all the key info, then discussed them to ensure we understood what needed to be done. This was very helpful since we didn't have to take notes - the notes were already there.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Nice private waiting area that is relaxing
Dr Attaman got to know us, and spent time understanding our history. When we met with her, she was always aware of everything past and present that was going on and it make us feel like she truly cared.
The nurses approached the treatment steps in a very organized and easy to understand format. They printed out calendars with all the key info, then discussed them to ensure we understood what needed to be done. This was very helpful since we didnt have to take notes - the notes were already there
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Attaman was clear and honest with us throughout the process. She did her best to reassure us along the way. What really stood out was that during our process, she spent extra time researching and then ultimately filing a request with insurance for us to skip the IUI's that are typically required and go straight to the IVF treatment because of our past history. This no doubt was extra effort on her part to describe our situation and make a case for us to move forward quickly.
Ask all the questions you want, she is very eager to answer and give her true feelings on the matter.
Copays for visits and medicines only... everything else was covered by insurance.
Burlington
Ultrasound tech [at Harvard Vanguard] Jen is willing to come in early to prevent patients from driving to kenmore or Wellesley. Call center is very helpful, patient and reliable. Hard to know when the nurse will call back and have to go through the call center to return calls; while they are extremely nice/helpful, it's hard to manage working and getting the calls. Overall, my experience has been great working with this clinic.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Ultrasound tech Jen is willing to come in early to prevent patients from driving to kenmore or Wellesley. Call center is very helpful, patient and reliable. Hard to know when the nurse will call back and have to go through the call center to return calls; while they are extremely nice/helpful, it's hard to manage working and getting the calls. Overall, my experience has been great working with this clinic.
Dr. Attaman spent as much time with us as we needed to help us feel comfortable with our plan and the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Christine French )
Christine is very caring and helpful. She takes the time to explain everything to you and will answer any questions you have. She made the process less stressful and helped explain what to expect to decrease nerves.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Attaman takes the time to explain everything to help us understand and to feel comfortable. She changed our plan and was creative after the first two unsuccessful cycles. She is very compassionate and positive, but also direct with her information.
Be patient. She is creative with the protocols to meet each individual's needs.
3 different protocols, all based on the prior results. ICTSI the second time and soon to be the third.
2010 - 2013
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Love. These nurses [at Harvard Vanguard] were so supportive during three years of treatments. I was sad to move on from the team when I finally did get pregnant! Caring, compaaasionate, personable...Dr Obasiolu, in his matter of fact but warm way, cheered me on throughout the process. I always felt that he cared deeply for me and was committed to a positive outcome. also, his confidence that I would get pregnant was a helpful motivator. He was with me for three years and multiple procedures, and even three years later when I visited him with my daughter he remembered many details about my case.
2010 - 2013
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Love. These nurses were so supportive during three years of treatments. I was sad to move on from the team when I finally did get pregnant! Caring, compaaasionate, personable.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr Obasiolu was with me for three years of treatments. He cared deeply for me, and I always felt like a person with him. Over those three years, he performed multiple treatments, including a D&E for a miscarriage, a polyp removal and the other surgeries. I felt that he was truly behind me and he always respected my choices even if they differed from his r commendations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
He is matter of fact, and his warmth may not shine through, but it is there! Ask questions, listen, trust.
Describe the protocols Charles Obasiolu used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
I can't remember!
0. Amazing health insurance and infertility coverage
Describe Charles Obasiolu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
Though the recommendations were for 2 to be transferred, I was always listened to and never challenged when we elected to do a single embryo transfer.
Boston
They are a part of Boston IVF. All procedures are done in the waltham office. I didn’t realize this at first but it was totally fine, easy to get to and a beautiful facility. Even though Boston IVF is so big, I didn’t feel like just a number....[Nursing Staff] They are great...Dr Lee took time to call after a failed cycle, met with me to discusss plans for a second cycle, and made me feel like she did care....Second round I am doing a lupron mocroflare protocol. First round I did traditional IVF.
They are great.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr Lee is VERY smart. She is kind and compassionate, but she is not super warm and fuzzy. I like her and trust that she knows what she is doing. She changed up all my plans for my second round and though it is not finish yet, I am already having better results than my first round.
Come prepared with questions.
Insurance covered most of the costs once we hit our deductible
My insurance will only allow one egg to be put back, so Dr Lee didn’t have any feedback on this.
Wellesley
Everyone a the clinic was extremely good-natured and friendly. When I frantically ran in an hour late to an appointment due to traffic, the receptionist said, "You have enough to worry about. We don't punish for being late and we'll take you as soon as we can."...Natural frozen cycle transferring one embryo resulted in a positive pregnancy test....[Costs were] around $500. This included my deductible and 10% co-insurance. Thank God for insurance in MA!
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Even though Dr. Lee doesn't have a bubbly personality, she recognized me and my husband in passing, looked us in the eye, knew our medical history without our needing to repeat it 100 times, and made sure we understood what she was saying without needing to fluff it up.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy but know that she really cares about your treatment.
Around $500. This included my deductible and 10% co-insurance. Thank God for insurance in MA!
Boston
Tracy [nurse at Harvard Vanguard - Well] was our lifeline! Compassionate, informative, and patient with all our questions...
Dr Lee was very practical and informative in her care, but never cold or uncaring. She laughed with us, shared anecdotes, knew us by name, followed our progress very closely, and showed a lot of concern at every step.
Tracy was our lifeline! Compassionate, informative, and patient with all our questions.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr Lee was knowledgeable, helpful, kind, and offered us great care. She is an academic at heart and likes to geek out and explain fertility problems and treatments. She was very caring and attentive throughout months of treatment. Her approach can be more directive, rather than cooperative, I found, compared to other doctors in the practice, but I appreciated this.
If you're looking for a doctor who will make strong recommendations and be blunt about options, she's great. If you want more control over your process you might want someone else. For us, it was fine that she was directive in her care, as her decisions were based on research and she was right
Grace Lee
The nurses [at Harvard Vanguard] were great. Waiting times were a bit inconsistent or long, which could be frustrating. They also just moved the practice to a brand new floor on an area by itself so you don't have to interact with the obgyn patients, and have brand new rooms / machines...You don't see much of the dr, most everyday items are handled by the nurses and other staff
Investment Banker
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The nurses were great. Waiting times were a bit inconsistent or long, which could be frustrating. They also just moved the practice to a brand new floor on an area by itself so you don't have to interact with the obgyn patients, and have brand new rooms / machines
Generally very good, but sometimes the wait times were very long (and frustrating)
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
She was a good communicator and direct. She explained the process and logic of each step well. At one point we had an early miscarriage, and she was sympathetic but not overly so.
You don't see much of the dr, most everyday items are handled by the nurses and other staff.
She tended to take the more conservative method in terms of treatment and dosing (which I generally agreed with given my history)
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr Attaman was always very caring and was able to answer or at least try to answer any and all questions and ideas I had. She was willing to test me for things that I came across in my hours of online research. She was always caring and compassionate and in the end was correct in why I kept having recurrent miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard.
Just how sensitive and caring they all were....I left feeling like they really truly care about me as a person...not just one patient among many.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr Attaman listens well and was willing to try things that I brought up while speaking with her (testing me for gene mutations, etc), whether or not they would be any help in the long run. Not that she would test me at random, but after her long list of tests I brought up a few and she was willing to indulge me.
2013 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
I think this clinic [Harvard Vanguard] just takes on too many patients, they don't have the time and energy to address each one personally... Office was always so backlogged and ran late for every appointment... They have a really difficult system with making calls, you never know when they will call you and if they call with results after 5 and you don't answer you can't call back with questions until the next morning.
2013 - 2015
4 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Care team never remembered me other than one awesome nurse. Office was always so backlogged and ran late for every appointment. Dr Attaman did not appear to have reviewed my chart before any of our appointments, guess it would have been a much longer wait if she had.
Chris was awesome, she helped me work through a bunch of logistical challenges, like traveling during treatment, she remembered details about my specific situation and was great at answering my 100s of questions. The rest of the nursing staff was ok but a few times they forgot to call me with test results or didn't return my calls when I left messages.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
I think this clinic just takes on too many patients, they don't have the time and energy to address each one personally. Dr. Attaman is a nice person and clearly works hard and did help me get pregnant (yeah!) but if I had it to do again I would have seen someone else.
Find another fertility doctor.
Endometriosis, Other
I used to like him [Dr. Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard] in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
It's small and easy to get appointments.
The clinic is very small so the nurses get to know you well. However, the doctor is clueless. Every single time I met with him he asked me where I worked.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I used to like him in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
Don't go there
Boston
To a certain extent we were a number [at Harvard Vanguard], but Dr Lee tried to discuss our individual case in detail with us...[Nursing staff was] Lovely, friendly, outgoing...Clinic does not do egg retrievals or embryo transfers on site...Dr Lee was friendly and knowledgable. She provided us with detailed explanations regarding our treatment plan, possible outcomes, and next steps. Although our outcomes were not successful she remained positive...Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and ask her to explain in more detail if you aren't understanding the plan/procedure.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Clinic does not do egg retrievals or embryo transfers on site.
To a certain extent we were a number, but Dr Lee tried to discuss our individual case in detail with us
Lovely, friendly, outgoing.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Can't remember the exact treatment protocols. Following three IUIs, we did one IVF cycle which was canceled before egg retrieval due to spontaneous ovulation, followed by another IVF cycle which allowed for two embryos to be transferred but again wasn't successful.
Completely covered by insurance, no out of pocket costs
2012
They [the staff at Harvard Vanguard] remembered me, they were hopeful, they celebrated successful births. [Dr Lee was] cold, formal, qualitative. Unable to connect to emotions. Methodical and scientific.
2012
Dr. Lee's bedside manner was cold and lacking any humor or warmth. She was very methodical and scientific, and when I tried to lighten the conversation, she was bewildered by my humor. In addition, when I first met with her, she clearly did not indicate "there's no hope for you" with her stats, and a year later when IUI was unsuccessful, her assessment was much clearer but she said "it's no different than what I said a year ago." Perhaps it was selective listening on my part, but I heard hope the first time and clarity of no hope the second time. it was heartwrenching and she stared at me blankly.
They remembered me, they were hopeful, they celebrated successful births.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Cold, formal, qualitative. Unable to connect to emotions. Methodical and scientific.
If you want cold facts, she's great. As the same question in different ways to make sure you get a clear answer. Don't use humor.
I only used IUI because my other option was donor egg, nothing in between.
8 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
We had conversations not only about my treatment but how I was doing and how my family was doing. She [Dr. Jill Attaman] and her nurses [at Harvard Vanguard] remembered me from visit to visit...Dr Attaman was amazing and we plan to work with her again. She is compassionate and direct, a rare mix in anyone. I appreciated that she treated me as a whole person...Everyone was upbeat and positive without being blind to the emotional drain this process takes.
8 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The clinic was exactly as expected.
We had conversations not only about my treatment but how I was doing and how my family was doing. She and her nurses remembered me from visit to visit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr Attaman was amazing and we plan to work with her again. She is compassionate and direct, a rare mix in anyone. I appreciated that she treated me as a whole person. I'm not sure what else is necessary but need to get to 200 words. .
Be patient and ask the questions you need answered.
Specifics were answered in prior survey questions.
Covered by insurance after deductible was met.
IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard] was thoughtful and took the time to explain the options. Seemed genuinely sympathetic...Risks were we'll explained and the optimism was helpful. But I wish I had better understood the various potential outcomes with Ivf - i.e. Not having any viable embryos. I never realized that could be an issue until I hit the Ivf message boards.
IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
She was thoughtful and took the time to explain the options. Seeemed genuinely sympathetic.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Risks were we'll explained and the optimism was helpful. But I wish I had better understood the various potential outcomes with Ivf - i.e. Not having any viable embryos. I never realized that could be an issue until I hit the Ivf message boards. All the different things that might not work weren't really part of the conversation. Although I can see the benefit of that - keeping patients positive. But it made a negative outcome that much more heart breaking.
Clomid then into ivf due to recurrent miscarriages
All covered under insurance. Amount billed to insurance for meds was like $50k for three Ivf rounds. Not counting the procedures.
2013 - 2014
Don't see anyone else in her group...Dr. Attaman is so sweet, but be prepared to go to her clinic [Harvard Vanguard] in Burlington and avoid the doctors in Quincy.
2013 - 2014
Dr. Attaman is super compassionate, sweet and patient. She is very empathetic and will spend as much time as you need to answer questions.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
She is just the nicest person. We really loved her style. The only downside is that she seems relatively inexperienced, so when you ask her input, she can't really draw on a lot of personal cases (it's more what she has learned). I found that difficult - she didn't guide us as much as I would've liked.
Don't see anyone else in her group. The other doctors are evil. Dr. Attaman is so sweet, but be prepared to go to her clinic in Burlington and avoid the doctors in Quincy. Also, go if you are looking for someone compassionate but want to leave options of treatment open.
2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I utilized almost every HVMA location due to a busy commuting life. All the nurses and phlebotomist were great.... I was first referred to Dr. Obasiolu to uncover my endometriosis. He was thorough and honest and kept my interests at heart. I say that because he understood our situation and I felt he could empathize well. I enjoyed his appointments and sometimes a quick joke here and there.... Can't recall as it's been a few years but it was antagonist using gonal f and menopur.
2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Obasiolu was always polite and patient. We had a lot of questions and nerves when we first met him and he really went above and beyond to help us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I was first referred to Dr. Obasiolu to uncover my endometriosis. He was thorough and honest and kept my interests at heart. I say that because he understood our situation and I felt he could empathize well. I enjoyed his appointments and sometimes a quick joke here and there. :)
Ask questions since the doctors can't read your mind. They don't know what your worried about.
Covered by insurance
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
She [Dr. Skiadas] was wonderful as well as her whole staff at Harvard Vanguard....She and all of her nurses were calm, professional, and warm. I felt like they knew how emotional this whole process is and took that into consideration with their care.
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
She was wonderful as well as her whole staff at Harvard Vanguard
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
Kind and compassionate
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
My experience with Dr. Skiadas and her whole staff was wonderful. She and all of her nurses were calm, professional, and warm. I felt like they knew how emotional this whole process is and took that into consideration with their care. Dr. Skiadas also pushed our insurance paperwork and process faster so that we could move onto the next level of care within 24 hours. I don't remember any specific people at RSC but overall I had a good experience, everyone was professional and moved us along quickly which was nice.