7.1

Wellesley
230 Worcester Street
Wellesley, MA 02481

2020, Unsuccessful
I only met Dr. Kovalevsky twice in our 9 months of treatment, via teleconference. He seemed knowledgeable, aware of current research, and willing to answer questions at our appointments, but was otherwise seemingly uninvolved in my care...He never called us or sent us a message on the patient portal. I had other doctors perform tests and sign off on clinical decisions...
The two [Harvard Vanguard] nurses I met for my IUI procedures were both kind and professional. Otherwise, I only spoke to nurses on the phone or listened to the messages they left...I had so many instances of miscommunication or lack of proper communication which resulted in huge amounts of stress on my part, and breakdown in care..
How was your experience with George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard?
I only met Dr. Kovalevsky twice in our 9 months of treatment, via teleconference. He seemed knowledgeable, aware of current research, and willing to answer questions at our appointments, but was otherwise seemingly uninvolved in my care. I believe he set a protocol for us of 2 medicated cycles and 2 IUI cycles, but never told us, which caused a whole bucketload of confusion. He never called us or sent us a message on the patient portal. I had other doctors perform tests and sign off on clinical decisions. I believe he had a very large patient load at the time, because were were told we would have to wait 6 weeks for another teleconference appointment after our second failed IUI before starting IVF. I would have trusted Dr. Kovalevsky with an IVF cycle, but not Harvard Vanguard. I was able to switch clinics, have all my records sent over, and see a new doctor 2 weeks before I would have been able to see Dr. Kovalevsky.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard?
Make sure that you fully understand your current protocol before you begin, when you need your medications, how to obtain them, and when you should expect ultrasound, procedure. and blood work appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard?
Harvard Vanguard’s clinic was either horribly short staffed and harried due to COVID, or they had taken on too many patients. No one I ever spoke with on the phone or met in person (other than Jen, the amazing ultrasound tech) seemed familiar with my file, which resulted in errors in care. I spoke with a different nurse every time they called with results. The secretaries were brusque, unwilling to work around my work schedule, and did not pass on my messages to nurses. I had multiple incidences of terrible miscommunication, one of which resulted in us not finishing our first apparently intended IUI cycle. The only time I felt like a human and not a number was when I called one day during my second medicated cycle at my wits end and spoke with a very nice nurse who realized I had never received my protocol flow sheet. She apologized for the error and rectified it. In general though, I felt wholly unseen and unheard through the entire process.
Describe the protocols George Kovalevsky used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Medicated cycles included clomid for 5 days with an ovidrel trigger. IUI cycles also included clomid for 5 days with an ovidrel trigger. None of my cycles resulted in a pregnancy. I have since undergone one cycle of IVF which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
The two nurses I met for my IUI procedures were both kind and professional. Otherwise, I only spoke to nurses on the phone or listened to the messages they left. I got conflicting information from the nurses, not enough information, and no one ever told us we were switching from medicated cycles to IUI. Was that the nurses’ responsibility to tell us? No idea. No one seemed to be particularly interested in my care. I got the impression that it was all so routine that they were reading from a script.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
I work in healthcare, and I generally expect to be treated as I would treat my own patients- with kindness and respect. I was not afforded that level of care at Harvard Vanguard. I had so many instances of miscommunication or lack of proper communication which resulted in huge amounts of stress on my part, and breakdown in care. In the continuum of fertility treatment, medicated cycles and IUI are small guns with relatively simple protocols, but they don’t feel that way to a new patient with no information. Harvard Vanguard did a horrendous job both educating me about my care and managing these simple cycles. For instance, we were told we were switching to IUI 36 hours before we were supposed to come in for the procedure. I didn’t know I had to get a blood test to check for pregnancy before 9am in the morning, so no one called me with results and I almost missed starting a cycle. It was difficult to schedule appointments around my own patients- on several occasions I was given a single appointment time in a three day window, 30 minutes away in the middle of the work day. I was never properly informed of my protocol, but it was assumed that I would know how and when to obtain medications. This resulted in me frantically driving to the pharmacy on a Friday after a busy work day to pick up a medication I was supposed to start that night. Infertility is lonely and stressful, and my experience at Harvard Vanguard only compounded these feelings. I have since transferred my care to a new clinic and realized just how wonderful this process can be if done correctly. If you aren’t forced to receive your care at Harvard Vanguard because your PCP is in the system, I would recommend saving yourself quite a bit of grief by going elsewhere.
Describe the costs associated with your care under George Kovalevsky at Harvard Vanguard.
We quickly blew through our $2000 insurance deductible but then only had to pay procedure copays of $40. I purchased the ovidrel through the pharmacy out of pocket since it was $53 a vial instead of $157 if we had gone through insurance. Clomid was covered by my insurance.
Describe George Kovalevsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
We never discussed any specific IVF protocol since we did not pursue IVF at this clinic.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
As I’ve enumerated throughout this review, my treatment at Harvard Vanguard was littered with incidences of miscommunication. I was not given a protocol flow sheet for my first medicated cycle, so I had no idea I needed to order medication on a specific day, and got my blood test at the end of the cycle too late in the day and almost missed starting my next cycle when no one called me to schedule a baseline ultrasound the next day. I was once scheduled in Quincy for an ultrasound but was not told, and showed up in Burlington. A nurse called me and left a message with a negative pregnancy test result and thought I had just finished my first medicated cycle, when it was my second. When I called to clarify, no one ever got back to me and the mistake was not rectified, so we were not informed we should be starting IUI. When I finally asked them point blank during the next cycle what was going on, they told me I could do IUI if I wanted, and that the procedure would be in 36 hours. At the end of our second IUI cycle, we were told the next step would be to set up an appointment with Dr. Kovalevsky to discuss next steps. We were scheduled out 6 weeks with no further instructions. I called the clinic to ask if we could do a third cycle of IUI while we waited, and the nurse agreed but never put the order in, so when I called to schedule a baseline ultrasound, no one had any idea what was going on. This was the last straw, and I promptly found another clinic with much better patient communication reviews and switched my care over to them. Having my records sent over took 3 weeks and multiple phone calls to the contractor who handles patient records management, but they did send the notes before my first appointment with my new doctor.
George Kovalevsky
Burlington

Jill Attaman was very nice. However, I felt like I wasn't given any attention. I felt confused who to call and ask questions to. She only has one nurse at the Burlington location. I felt like she didn't care and didn't answer my questions easily. I'm not sure if them merging with Boston IVF was playing a role in this...We did Gonal F, which is very expensive. There was one other injection to but I can't remember. We did the trigger shot and the retrieval in Lexington. We did genetic testing this time which is costly. Unfortunately the three embryos that did test came back all abnormal.
I felt that burlington office was nice, but the schedule was inflexible. I thought it was confusing to have to go to other locations. I went to Welseley only because I didn't want to drive into Boston...I was waiting for the genetic testing of the embryos to come back. They were back and Jill Attaman did not call me. I had to create a little drama with the staff to get her on the phone to call me with the results (which I had already waited 2 weeks).
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Ask questions, and ask her to be direct.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
Jill Attaman was too busy for me. Even her staff commented several times on how busy she was. Also they are merging with Boston IVF, so I felt I was always being shifted around.
Describe the protocols Jill Attaman used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Chris)
At the Burlington location it was Chris. She was lovely but all by herself so it was often left leaving messages. I often got routed to the Wellesley location to speak to others to. It was very confusing who to call. Then on weekends it was to call Kenmore location to, which was odd and very hard to get through.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard.
This part was the nightmare! We were denied from Blue Cross Blue Shield. They denied me on an old test from another doctor I was not seeing. The very information they denied me for was from a past cycle they approved. Jill Attaman although supported me I feel should could have worked harder to help appeal the decision. The cycle was incomplete because we did the genetic testing . We had no transfer, which would have cost more. When I paid for the cycle the accountant said I was all Set but the transfer was never paid for and I thought it was because she said I was all paid in full.
Burlington

I was never explained the rationale for the protocol Dr. Lee decided for me, but it was a patch antagonist protocol...She also didn't explain to me at all from the very beginning that she would not be doing all my procedures -- egg retrieval, egg transfer -- which would have perhaps been a determining factor in picking her and her clinic for my first cycle...I found Dr. Lee to be a little misleading more than once...At first she said insurance would probably cover my treatment because my tubes are blocked but then the next time I saw her, she'd done a complete 180 and reversed her stance saying the probability of that happening was low because my husband had had a vasectomy,
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's [Harvard Vanguard] office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
I found Dr. Lee to be a little misleading more than once. At first she said insurance would probably cover my treatment because my tubes are blocked but then the next time I saw her, she'd done a complete 180 and reversed her stance saying the probability of that happening was low because my husband had had a vasectomy, which she knew from the beginning. There were other incidents (too long to describe here) that made me lose confidence in her practice. She also didn't explain to me at all from the very beginning that she would not be doing all my procedures -- egg retrieval, egg transfer -- which would have perhaps been a determining factor in picking her and her clinic for my first cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Assume nothing and double check and double confirm every piece of information coming from her office. Also, the proverbial "ask a lot of questions" -- but many people don't even know what questions to ask! Just do a lot of research on IVF cycles and potential protocols and don't be afraid to question or second-guess her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
There were a few instances of miscommunication/misunderstandings at Dr. Lee's office, which made me lose trust in them. It also made me feel like they either lack basic management/coordination skills or simply have too many patients handling at once. It was my first cycle ever so naturally in the beginning I was blindingly trusting they were doing everything right, but then I felt I had to double check and double confirm instructions, since I had little confidence in them.
Describe the protocols Grace Lee used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
I was never explained the rationale for the protocol Dr. Lee decided for me, but it was a patch antagonist protocol. It yielded an amazing amount of eggs: 10 were retrieved. But only 3 of those were fertilized.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
Conflicting instructions among the nurses, lack of communication on critical information -- which caused a cycle to get canceled.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Again, some conflicting instructions coming from Boston IVF and the doctor's office/nurse, which led me to lose confidence in the whole practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard.
We paid about $22,000 total for one cycle.
Describe Grace Lee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
I did not get a good education on the trade offs between multiple embryo transfer vs. single.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
The day of my pregnancy test, the lab didn't even have the order in for it. I was panicking because I thought I had the wrong date. I had to spend some time tracking down the real story which was that they had simply not put it in. Apparently for that delay, it was 4pm and I still had not gotten a call back with the results. Another miscommunication: I was told by one nurse to start on the stimulating hormone on a specific day, only to have another nurse tell me at the last minute that no, I needed to start with a patch, not with the injections. Yet another one: right before my trigger shot, Boston IVF told me to continue with one last dose of the stimulating hormone when the nurse at my doctor's office had told me to skip it.

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Despite of my clear symptoms of endometriosis. Dr. Lee diagnose us as unexplained. This wrong diagnose lead to 3 failed IUI which could have been avoided if she would send me directly for a Laparoscopy. (Where I later find out the poor state of my tubes). It also lead to 2 failed embryo transfer...Sadly I did not have a good experinece with Dr. Lee. She is a straightforward doctor. She dosen't show passion for her patient. She does not consider the patient's symptoms but will follow a standard procedures. This might not be entirely her fault, be due to the Harvard Vanguard standard procedure and luck of flexibility. She is fast and direct. For some this might work.
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient...When I left Harvard Vanguard to move to another clinic they were very slow to share my data...Sadly I did not have a good experinece with Dr. Lee. She is a straightforward doctor. She dosen't show passion for her patient. She does not consider the patient's symptoms but will follow a standard procedures. This might not be entirely her fault, be due to the Harvard Vanguard standard procedure and luck of flexibility. She is fast and direct. For some this might work.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
To challenge her assumptions. Be informed and prepared ahead.
She followed a standard protocol for all the treatments I had. Without considering my endometriosis (which she denied I had) or my AMH levels.
Despite of my clear symptoms of endometriosis. Dr. Lee diagnose us as unexplained. This wrong diagnose lead to 3 failed IUI which could have been avoided if she would send me directly for a Laparoscopy. (Where I later find out the poor state of my tubes). It also lead to 2 failed embryo transfer. Since the protocol was not adapt for a patient suffering endometriosis. She didn't use a suppressive protocol but a standard antagonist protocol without the use of the pill in the first phase.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
Nurse stuff are doing most of the work. They were all good and efficient.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Harvard Vanguard is convenient because of its multiple locations in boston and cambridge. This is helpful for blood work and ultrasound. Harvard Vanguard is part of IVF new england. There are not a fertility clinic in their own right.
All costs were covered by the insurance.

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans....Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
We would call [the staff at Harvard Vanguard] with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clin
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Even worse than his suboptimal demeanor and professionalism, we now also retroactively question his medical fund of knowledge and treatment planning. Despite a year of "testing" and "treating" us (which included a failed IVF cycle), he never diagnosed either my husband or myself with any issues. Within a month of seeing our new physician, however, we learned that my husband had anti-sperm antibodies cross-linking his spermatids, entirely impeding their motility. Because we had such trouble communicating with Dr. Obasiolu (and there was such tremendous lack of transparency with every step of the process in his clinic), we don't know whether or not he did ICSI with our IVF. Without ICSI, there is no way that my husband's sperm could have successfully fertilized any of my eggs, and the entire cycle would have been a waste of money (not to mention a huge strain on our emotional reserve). After we switched to our current physician, we also learned that I was underproducing a specific hormone precursor, and I was started on a supplement for this. Who knows if this made a difference or not (although we did have a successful IVF cycle with our new doctor) - but we were so appreciative of the thoroughness and thoughtfulness that our new doctor applied to our case. He demonstrated a comprehensive and sophisticated fund of knowledge regarding the synthesis and metabolism of hormone precursors that we very much doubt Dr. Obasiolu had. Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I do not think that Dr. Obasiolu is a monster, so my intention is not to vilify him as a person. But the impression that we received from him was that he did not care about us (beyond our insurance payments to his practice) - essentially, he barely knew us, and his bedside manner was terrible. In the spirit of full disclosure - my husband and I are both physicians, and I specialize in pediatric palliative care - so bedside manner and communication is extremely important to me. Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
However, I think that the worst thing about our overall experience may actually have been our interactions with Dr. Obasiolu's clinic infrastructure and his ancillary staff. Everyone with whom we interfaced was (at best) rude and (at worst) actively obstructive to our care. We would call with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clinic on our worst enemy. I was so overwhelmed and scared by the whole process that I did not appropriately self-advocate - and as a result, we wasted a whole year and suffered through a lot of emotional grief that likely was unnecessary. I don't mean to imply that our subsequent experiences with IVF were a picnic - they also were quite stressful - but having a physician that we loved and trusted through the journey made the experience so much better.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard.
Mostly covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, as mandated and the state of Massachusetts.
Charles Obasiolu

2013, Unsuccessful
We initially started treatments with my husband being the problem and discovered along the way that I was also the problem. ... we were told that the process would never be successful for us. ... Attempted a “fire” round of fertility drugs in an attempt to be as aggressive as possible to get my ovaries to produce eggs. ... I felt like she [Dr. Attaman] offered no attempt at answering any of my legitimate women’s health concerns, but instead offered info for adoption or surrogacy.
After I was told that they [Harvard Vanguard] could do nothing more for me, I actually reached back out to them about natural cycle fertility treatments I had heard about since my body was unresponsive to the fertility treatments, I was simply told they did not do that and that was all. ... They [nurses] were very nice, but when I began to get horrible results, I felt like I needed more compassion and support than I was given.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
I was devastated by the results of the treatment. We initially started treatments with my husband being the problem and discovered along the way that I was also the problem. After three failed attempts, each going worse than before, we were told that the process would never be successful for us. I was devastated, but also I was extremely concerned for my health as a woman. I felt like she offered no attempt at answering any of my legitimate women’s health concerns, but instead offered info for adoption or surrogacy.
I hope you have no unforeseen or rare situations that arise.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
They were very nice, but when I began to get horrible results, I felt like I needed more compassion and support than I was given.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
After I was told that they could do nothing more for me, I actually reached back out to them about natural cycle fertility treatments I had heard about since my body was unresponsive to the fertility treatments, I was simply told they did not do that and that was all. I was crushed.
I had excellent health coverage and it cost almost nothing.

2013 - 2015, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Attaman is a nice person and clearly works hard and did help me get pregnant (yeah!) but if I had it to do again I would have seen someone else...Dr Attaman did not appear to have reviewed my chart before any of our appointments, guess it would have been a much longer wait if she had.
I think this clinic [Harvard Vanguard] just takes on too many patients, they don't have the time and energy to address each one personally... Office was always so backlogged and ran late for every appointment... They have a really difficult system with making calls, you never know when they will call you and if they call with results after 5 and you don't answer you can't call back with questions until the next morning.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Harvard Vanguard?
I think this clinic just takes on too many patients, they don't have the time and energy to address each one personally. Dr. Attaman is a nice person and clearly works hard and did help me get pregnant (yeah!) but if I had it to do again I would have seen someone else.
Find another fertility doctor.
Care team never remembered me other than one awesome nurse. Office was always so backlogged and ran late for every appointment. Dr Attaman did not appear to have reviewed my chart before any of our appointments, guess it would have been a much longer wait if she had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Chris French)
Chris was awesome, she helped me work through a bunch of logistical challenges, like traveling during treatment, she remembered details about my specific situation and was great at answering my 100s of questions. The rest of the nursing staff was ok but a few times they forgot to call me with test results or didn't return my calls when I left messages.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
Clinic was always overbooked and behind schedule, always, even for 7am appointments. They have a really difficult system with making calls, you never know when they will call you and if they call with results after 5 and you don't answer you can't call back with questions until the next morning. They do have 24 hour emergency support though which is really nice. I use Harvard Vanguard for all my other medical needs and am happy with their other services.
Boston
I felt it [protocol with Dr. Skiadas] was very random and specifics weren't discussed too much. I felt so naive through the first cycle and wish I would have known more...is sweet and seems caring but her patient load is too high and she is never the doctor that attends the retrieval or the transfer, she just sets the protocol. I also felt she could have provided more information and assistance early on and after my insurance ran out I felt abandoned and hopeless.
[Harvard Vanguard is in a] Convenient location, convenient appointment times. Attached to a clinic that provides other services. Parking was good. Overall the staff was professional but they seem to have too many patients to really care about your personal care...Sometimes nurses were very caring but I had other incidents where I felt they treated me like a number and just weren't responsive to my feelings.
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is sweet and seems caring but her patient load is too high and she is never the doctor that attends the retrieval or the transfer, she just sets the protocol. I also felt she could have provided more information and assistance early on and after my insurance ran out I felt abandoned and hopeless.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Just be aware she does not handle your retrieval and transfers. You also need to speak up and advocate for yourself if you have questions and concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Patient load is too high. Had to learn a lot on my own. Felt like follow-up wasn't great.
Describe the protocols Christine Skiadas used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
I felt it was very random and specifics weren't discussed too much. I felt so naive through the first cycle and wish I would have known more.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard.
Insurance covered 90% of my costs.
Christine Skiadas

2016, Unknown Success
[Harvard Vanguard - Ken] Not all testing is done at Kenmore I also had to drive to Quincy which was not easy during the workday. It was also very difficult to have any medical records forwarded to my new clinic. It took months of back and forth and I still didn’t get my complete record...I only had a few appointments with Dr. Lee but the nurses were always great and compassionate. Also easy to reach and leave messages for...It was very difficult for my new clinic to obtain my medical records.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
She was nice and easy to speak with. She explained the IVF process easily so I understood. After a lot of initial testing I was told I had nothing wrong and to start clomid. I felt like she wanted to put me on medication just to start the process for my insurance company and then move forward to IVF. I didn’t get a great feeling about this since I was in pain monthly on my left side. I also mentioned this to Dr. Lee and was assured it was probably ovulation pain. After my first few appointments I decided to get a second opinion.
She seemed easy to talk to and didn’t speak over our heads with medical jargon I wouldn’t understand.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
It was very difficult for my new clinic to obtain my medical records.
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I used to like him [Dr. Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard] in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I used to like him in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Don't go there
The clinic is very small so the nurses get to know you well. However, the doctor is clueless. Every single time I met with him he asked me where I worked.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
It's small and easy to get appointments.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
They didn't call me to tell me they suspected I was having an ectopic pregnant. They called me 36 hours after I went to thsleep lab.
Charles Obasiolu

2012, Unsuccessful
Dr. Lee's bedside manner was cold and lacking any humor or warmth. She was very methodical and scientific, and when I tried to lighten the conversation, she was bewildered by my humor... Perhaps it was selective listening on my part, but I heard hope the first time and clarity of no hope the second time. it was heartwrenching and she stared at me blankly.
They [the staff at Harvard Vanguard] remembered me, they were hopeful, they celebrated successful births. [Dr Lee was] cold, formal, qualitative. Unable to connect to emotions. Methodical and scientific.
How was your experience with Grace Lee at Harvard Vanguard?
Cold, formal, qualitative. Unable to connect to emotions. Methodical and scientific.
If you want cold facts, she's great. As the same question in different ways to make sure you get a clear answer. Don't use humor.
Dr. Lee's bedside manner was cold and lacking any humor or warmth. She was very methodical and scientific, and when I tried to lighten the conversation, she was bewildered by my humor. In addition, when I first met with her, she clearly did not indicate "there's no hope for you" with her stats, and a year later when IUI was unsuccessful, her assessment was much clearer but she said "it's no different than what I said a year ago." Perhaps it was selective listening on my part, but I heard hope the first time and clarity of no hope the second time. it was heartwrenching and she stared at me blankly.
I only used IUI because my other option was donor egg, nothing in between.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
They remembered me, they were hopeful, they celebrated successful births.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
Already explained in a prior question, but the way my situation was assessed and explained 1 year apart were completely different. Although Dr. Lee said the situation was exactly the same, the second time there was a cold finality to her assessment.
Wellesley