Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
500 University Drive
Hershey, PA 17033
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Hershey Medical Center (Penn State) to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 3Neutral: 1Don't recommend: 17.6
PCOS, Other
We [Hershey Medical Ctr] are still quite new to the practice, but have been very happy thus far. The physical setup is spacious and welcoming, as some clinics have a more sterile appearance. The rooms were clean and orderly. I didn’t care for the reception area as sensitive information can be overheard by those in neighboring cubicles as well as those walking in the front door.... I was not impressed with the nurse we saw in the practice, (just a personality thing, really) but communication via phone and email with the nursing staff has been wonderful!
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
We are still quite new to the practice, but have been very happy thus far. The physical setup is spacious and welcoming, as some clinics have a more sterile appearance. The rooms were clean and orderly. I didn’t care for the reception area as sensitive information can be overheard by those in neighboring cubicles as well as those walking in the front door.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Estes at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
After an incredibly disheartening experience with another dr, I was referred by a friend to Dr.Estes. I drive over 2hrs each way to see her, because she genuinely listens to and cares about her patients. Infertility is stressful enough- finding the right providers can make all the difference.
How was your experience with Stephanie Estes at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
While we are new patients, we can not thank Dr.Estes enough for her care and consideration as we start this journey with a new practice. She has taken the time to listen to us I’m a short period of time, and ultimately has given us a lot of hope moving forward. While she won’t sugarcoat the facts, her kind disposition and open communication makes the information more palatable. After having a poor experience elsewhere, we made the decision to see Dr.Estes and now drive over 2 hours each way for appointments with her. She made us feel at ease, and treated us as individuals, rather than numbers on her caseload. We are so thankful to have found her!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Estes at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
Bring a notepad or something to jot down notes. She is very knowledgeable but the process is overwhelming and it will help make sure nothing is overlooked.
Stephanie Estes
Hershey
Strengths [for Hershey Medical Center]: It is a small enough practice that you are treated like an individual but you still feel that they are experienced and knowledgeable enough that you are getting top quality care.... They are open 365 days a year and rotate the schedule so you will see any one of the three of them on any given day. The doctors do all of the ultrasounds and procedures, and you either get called by a nurse or directly by the doctor with your treatment changes later in the day during monitoring... Cons: They do not have PGS testing.
Describe your experience with Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
Strengths: It is a small enough practice that you are treated like an individual but you still feel that they are experienced and knowledgeable enough that you are getting top quality care. There are only three doctors in the practice, all three were wonderful, but my primary doctor was Dr. Estes and she was my favorite. I definitely felt confident that all three were taking good care of me during all of my treatments. They are open 365 days a year and rotate the schedule so you will see any one of the three of them on any given day. The doctors do all of the ultrasounds and procedures, and you either get called by a nurse or directly by the doctor with your treatment changes later in the day during monitoring. The whole team meets every Friday to discuss all the cases going into the weekend, so the weekend team is always up to date on your current status. Their success rates are higher than a lot of the bigger clinics in my area, yet they were the most convenient (a lot of other clinics are not open on weekends, so you would have to travel to another location for monitoring, and also for procedures like egg retrievals and transfers). They are an academic institution so you don't feel like they are forcing you into certain treatments for the money, you feel like they are truly trying to do whatever it takes to find success. Also because I am an HMC employee, I paid a very small amount for all my treatments (including laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis, 3 IUIs, 2 IVFs), because our doctors advocated and were able to give their employees infertility insurance coverage. Cons: They do not have PGS testing. This did not end up affecting our treatment because we wouldn't have done it even if it were available. However, if we did need it we would have had to change clinics. We were almost in this situation when I tested positive as a cystic fibrosis carrier - my husband tested negative, but if he had been positive too we likely would have left our clinic to get PGS testing somewhere else. Luckily this didn't end up affecting us but may affect other couples depending on their situations.
The clinic is relatively small, so I felt like the doctor and nurses knew me and my specific diagnosis and history very well. I was not treated like a number. It was relatively easy and convenient to get appointments, the monitoring clinic is open every morning 365 days a year and the nurses always returned my phone calls that day or the next if it was after hours. Often the doctors themselves would be the ones to call with the treatment plan, to answer questions/return phone calls or to discuss results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State). (Assigned nurse: There are only a few - Joni, Jamie, Michelle)
Joni, Jamie, and Michelle were all excellent, they got to know my husband and I and our specific case very well and they were so compassionate. They were genuinely rooting for us the whole way. During both of my egg retrievals and at all the monitoring appointments they put me at ease. They always called back in a timely manner and were very clear when giving directions. They went above and beyond to try to find the cheapest medications possible, they even looked at multiple specialty pharmacies to find the best price for me when my fertility med coverage ran out.
Dr. Estes is very straightforward and gives you the facts, but also delivers with compassion. She is really intelligent and I felt confident that she knew what she was doing throughout all of my treatment. At first she did come across as less emotional at times, however as I got to know her better and she got more involved I felt she was definitely emotionally invested in our case. I felt more and more confident with her as time went on and especially after my failed IVF cycle, because she was very honest and did not sugarcoat anything. She came up with a new treatment plan and was confident that we would eventually find success, and she was right.
Don't be offset if she initially comes across as less "warm", once you get to know her you will see that she truly cares about your success and will do everything in her power to achieve it, and she is definitely good at what she does!
Describe the protocols Stephanie Estes used in your cycles at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State) and their degree of success.
For my first IVF cycle we did the long lupron protocol, however I got overstimulated and ended up with mild OHSS (which was somewhat unexpected given my endometriosis). We froze everything and later did a frozen transfer once I was recovered. This was unsuccessful. For my second IVF cycle, she came up with a new plan to keep me from getting overstimulated but still obtaining as many eggs as possible safely. We used the antagonist protocol and I was very closely monitored so that she and the other two doctors in the practice made sure I did not get overstimulated and had better quality results. At the three day mark after retrieval, we only had 2 viable embryos so she changed the plan to do a day 3 fresh transfer (instead of day 5), and this was successful (I am now 14 weeks pregnant).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Estes at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
The costs were minimal because through my employee insurance I had $10,000 lifetime prescription coverage and $15,000 lifetime procedure/test/lab draw etc. coverage. One thing I would have liked to know prior, however, was how quickly my prescription coverage would run out (for example, gonal-F alone during my first cycle cost over $5000 which was over half my lifetime coverage). However, it was a huge blessing to have the coverage that we had.
Describe Stephanie Estes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
I don't think my doctors use a cookie-cutter approach to this controversial topic. They looked at me and my situation individually and we decided together whether to transfer one or two embryos based on the quality of embryos we were working with during each cycle. For my first IVF cycle we were given the choice of one or two embryos after being given the risks vs. benefits, and transferred two because one had been lower quality. This cycle did not result in a positive pregnancy test. During my second IVF cycle, because we had such low fertilization rates again and only had two embryos at day 3, we again decided to transfer two together based on her advice and risks vs. benefits.
Stephanie Estes
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Both of the nurses [at Hershey Medical Center] were very communicative and held me and hugged me when I was crying. I was able to talk to them very often and could call them all the way from State College when I was having questions or problems...Use the nurses as much as you can because they have so much knowledge and compassion...It was pretty expensive but they had a program where if you did not have insurance to cover it then you would get a 30% discount. We are still paying it off but they are very nice about it.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodson at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
Dr. Dodson spoke to me about myself instead of about my case. He tailored treatments to me and to what I wanted. He understood that I wanted to understand as much as I could about it. When our first transfer resulted in me losing the embryos before I even could get a positive pregnancy test they hugged me and cried with me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State). (Assigned nurse: Joni and Jess)
Both of the nurses were very communicative and held me and hugged me when I was crying. I was able to talk to them very often and could call them all the way from State College when I was having questions or problems.
How was your experience with William Dodson at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
Dr. Dodson knew that I was devastated from our previous attempts in State College and our unsuccessful IUI. He was understanding about my feelings and emotions and he included me and my husband in all decisions. He really has done his research and has so much experience in this field.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodson at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
Tresses expertise but also advocated for yourself. Don't wait too long.
Describe the protocols William Dodson used in your cycles at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State) and their degree of success.
We did some testing of my husband first and determined that he did have very low count but rather than trying to determine why he had low count, we just went straight forward with IVF that we didn't waste any more time. We almost held back on the transfer because I was so close to hyperstimulated, but they backed my medicine up a little bit so that I would not hyper stimulate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodson at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
Describe William Dodson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
He would transfer one or two embryos but that was all that he wanted to do too keep the baby and me safe. I was okay with that and would only ever want to transfer 2 anyway.
William Dodson
Hershey
The clinic [Hershey Medical Center] is a large office with several doctors to choose from. Which I see as a strength as this allows you to schedule an appointment that is not months and months in the future. I felt like the clinic was state of the art and had advanced equipment and technology. You are able to view what your doctor is seeing on a big screen on the wall during your exams. They appeared to run on scheddule most times with little delays.
Describe your experience with Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
The clinic is a large office with several doctors to choose from. Which I see as a strength as this allows you to schedule an appointment that is not months and months in the future. I felt like the clinic was state of the art and had advanced equipment and technology. You are able to view what your doctor is seeing on a big screen on the wall during your exams. They appeared to run on scheddule most times with little delays.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Legro at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
I felt like they cared and I wasn't just another patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State). (Assigned nurse: Joni McCreedy)
She was extremely helpful and warm. Felt like she really cared. Also very quick to get back to you with any questions or concerns.
How was your experience with Richard Legro at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
Dr. Legro is very knowledgeable and straight-forward. He had previously done a dermoid cyst removal surgery for me in the past and i had a great experience with him then so i felt comfortable when I had to go back under his care for fertility treatments. He also makes you feel comfortable and ensures you know what is expected. Also, very open to questions and making sure you understand every thing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Legro at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Describe the protocols Richard Legro used in your cycles at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State) and their degree of success.
Baseline appt and blood work, hsg to ensure tubes were clear and unblocked prior to starting pill cycles, started with 1 pill and it didn't work cycle 1 so dosage was increased to 2 pill and that was working (I was ovulating).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Legro at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
Once my $500 deductible was met there were no more costs. I reached the deductible with the very first visit which was a baseline appt that included diagnosis and blood work
Describe Richard Legro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
Richard Legro
Hershey
I felt like a lab rat while I was at Hershey. There were always a lot of people in the waiting room and we were all taken back and treated the same. I felt like he didn't pay careful attention to my specific protocol. They get so many patients and they get used to treating everyone the same. I was an IVF patient and I got the feeling the most people were there for IUI....I started out seeing Dr. Dodson. He's the one that "sold" us on IVF. He developed my protocol but I never saw him during my cycle. My protocol was 100 IU of Follistim. Ganirelix was added in but not until day 9, which seemed very late to me. I think this is the reason my estrogen dropped and my cycle was cancelled. The trigger shot was going to be ovidrel but I never got to that point.
Describe your experience with Hershey Medical Center (Penn State).
I didn't like that monitoring appointments were a free-for-all. It was on first come, first serve basis. The mornings there were always busy and the waiting room is not cozy at all. I felt like I was in a hospital waiting room...actually, that's basically what it was.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State). (Assigned nurse: Joni)
Joni was very nice. I enjoyed working with her.
What specific things went wrong at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State)?
He was nice and had good bedside manners but I think he missed adding in Ganirelix early enough in my cycle causing my estrogen to drop, which resulted in them canceling my cycle. I was very distraught, angry, and disappointed after this happened. I'm glad I found a new doctor who I fully trust.
Make sure you're asking questions and double checking your next steps.
Richard Legro