Genetic counseling: Offered
Sugar Land
2205 Williams Trace Blvd
Sugar Land, TX 77478
713-225-5375
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Houston Fertility Center to a friend?

5.3
1 doctor
His [Dr. Steward] office staff [Hou Fert Inst] is wonderful- I have never not received a call back or email response right away from one of his RN's or MA's, and there is never a long wait at his office. The nurses and MA's are very invested in their patients and their compassion is evident in their interactions with patients...Clinic is well organized and there is never a long wait in the office. The front desk staff are always friendly and pleasant. The staff that answer the phones are very helpful and polite.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
His office staff is wonderful- I have never not received a call back or email response right away from one of his RN's or MA's, and there is never a long wait at his office. The nurses and MA's are very invested in their patients and their compassion is evident in their interactions with patients.
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Center?
There are not enough stars to give Dr. Steward at HFI. My husband and I switched to him from another MD/office that we had been going to for a year and looking back now, switching to him was one of the best life-changing decisions we have ever made. From our very first appointment, both my husband and I knew it was a better fit and that we were in the best hands possible with him. He has wonderful bedside manner and always provided us realistic expectations while still staying positive and optimistic along the way. We never felt rushed during our visits and he always took the time to answer all of our questions patiently and honestly. We were a challenging case for sure, but he never gave up and curbed our treatment to us individually (with various medications and approaches that hadn't been tried before, etc.) because he wasn't afraid to think outside the box to do whatever was needed in order to help us fulfill our goal of having a family. IVF is a roller coaster to say the least, but he was there with us every step of the way-- from personally calling to check in on us after receiving disappointing news (even after hours if needed) which meant the world to us, as well as providing huge hugs and encouragement when we made promising progress. When we started with Dr. Steward our chances of obtaining quality eggs and achieving conception at all were extremely low- but undoubtedly because of his expertise, persistence, and personalized attention to our individual circumstances, we are now 15 wk pregnant with twins-- which is unbelievable. We are forever grateful to him for giving us our family and cannot recommend him enough.
Ryan Steward
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Center.

The clinic [Houston Fertility Center] is listed as having 2 locations but anytime I made an appointment I expressed that I needed the closer location to my home and somehow they were never available for appointments there.... This clinic is cheaper than other clinics (also a deciding factor for us) but they don’t offer payment plans or financing like some clinics... I felt like one of the medical assistants was very dry and unprofessional.
Latino, Native American
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
The clinic is listed as having 2 locations but anytime I made an appointment I expressed that I needed the closer location to my home and somehow they were never available for appointments there. One of the main reasons I selected her was because of her convenient location in sugar land. I always found myself driving to Houston (45 min away).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Initially for my consultation I felt more like a human. Like she genuinely cared. I took a few months off to decided the correct route for us and when we returned is when I became a number. I saw the doctor maybe 2-3 more times after that (one of which it was during the egg retrieval when I was already out from anesthesia). I saw her staff more than anything.
I felt like one of the medical assistants was very dry and unprofessional. Apparently she was new but she had no personality and explained nothing. I want to say her name was Blanca. I will mention Myra was incredibly patient, compassionate and caring. Had it not been for her I probably would’ve wanted to quit treatment altogether. She explained everything in detail and lessened my worries (if at all possible in this process). I cannot rave about her any more. She was just so wonderful.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Center?
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Dr. Kristiansen was initially very nice and explained what she thought was best for me. A few months later we returned to her clinic excited to start this journey. It took us a while because we were unsure if this was the route to go and partly because we were not financially ready. Once we came back it was mostly visits with the staff. I saw the doctor for my endometrial biopsy, HSG and egg transfer. Apparently, she was there for the retrieval but I couldnt say for certain since she was late and by then they had already put me under anesthesia. When I woke I only saw the staff once again. It was very frustrating because I felt no genuine care. Once we returned for the egg transfer I was already prepped and on the stirrups. She walks in and doesn’t greet us or say a word. Only gets started on the procedure and mentions I have a perfectly looking uterus and that was all. I mentioned the procedure was very painful and she only says, “almost done”. Her assistant comforted me but that was all. Bone dry. Also worth mentioning, she never ever discussed the appropriate amount of embryos to transfer for me. Granted they gave me a large packet of general information to read, but everyone’s case is different. I had questions but she was never available. Her assistant made recommendations but that was all I had to go by. So I made my own decision. Luckily I had online support groups who helped guide me. Once we received the dreaded call of the negative results it was Dr. kristiansen who called, in which I was surprised. Sadly though, it sounded like another routine call. I went to this doctor because a friend recommended her and she had a successful pregnancy with her. I’m not saying she is a horrible person but if you’re the type of person who needs compassionate care during a stressful and emotional time like this, she is not the doctor for you. I will not return to her but honestly, I don’t think she will ever notice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Write down all your questions and asks at your consult visit. If you have to annoy the staff with questions then so be it. It is your money (and a lot of it) that you’re forking out. Plus this is no small matter to just wonder about.
Describe the protocols Sonja Kristiansen used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Birth control first to regulate the cycle and ovulation. My husband and I were also started on a zpack prophylactically. Then blood work to monitor lining. They started me on lupron, then gonal f and menopur. Finally I had the trigger shot (ovidrel) and progesterone in oil. Valium was given during the Day of the transfer to help relax the uterus. Towards the end of stimulation I was started on estradiol and medrol. Medrol was one of the final pills (suppressant) and it was basically to keep the body from rejecting the embryos.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Houston Fertility Center.
These appointments were quick and smooth. With an assistant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center.
This clinic is cheaper than other clinics (also a deciding factor for us) but they don’t offer payment plans or financing like some clinics. They don’t offer samples of medications either. Full payment is due at the time of the first ultrasound, no questions.
Describe Sonja Kristiansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Center.
This was never discussed with us.
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center.

My nurse [at Houston Fertility Center] was AWESOME. She was super kind, helpful and explanatory. They are even catering around my husband's schedule... he works most of the time, so he won't be attending most of the appointments, just the ones he ABSOLUTELY needs to be present...Great staff. Front desk is very helpful. Finance department explains all costs upfront so that there are no surprises. They gave me a ton of prenatal samples. Water and snacks in the lobby. Communication is great too.
European, Latino
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Center?
The consultation was one-on-one in his office, not in an exam room. He listened to my concerns, my health issues and even my ridiculous questions without judgement.
My nurse was AWESOME. She was super kind, helpful and explanatory. They are even catering around my husband's schedule... he works most of the time, so he won't be attending most of the appointments, just the ones he ABSOLUTELY needs to be present.
How was your experience with Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Center?
Dr. Witz was completely honest with me and stated, from the beginning, that IVF was my ONLY option. So that's where we started. He asked questions that were direct, but I am very direct person... I don't like doctor's that sugarcoat things. I'm an adult, I can handle the truth. I was eager to get on the road to IVF, so he was amazing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Center?
Be honest and upfront about your issues conceiving. The more you hold back, the longer the process is going to take.
Describe the protocols Craig Witz used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I am waiting for my period to start before we proceed to the next step.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Center.
My insurance covers the cost 100% after my deductible. The only thing I have to pay is for the genetic testing of the embryos.
Describe Craig Witz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Center.
Unsure about Dr. Witz's stance on this because I only want one embryo transfer for the first cycle. I stated this before he had a chance to make a suggestion, but he did agree with me.
Craig Witz
Houston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Center.

Poor Egg Quality, Other
The location [Houston Fertility Center - Houston] is very central, easy to get to, which is very important considering the amount of times you have to go there while on treatment. The clinic is well equipped, they had everything that was needed for my treatments and were very professional. I was usually seen quickly and on time...I was in treatment for the better part of about a year and had 2 or three different nurses assigned to my case. The first one was great, really nice. She went on maternity leave and they assigned me to a second nurse. She was ok, not as warm and friendly. There was a third one that would just cover when someone was out and that one was not very friendly. But she was never rude or anything like that, just not nearly as friendly and communicative as the first one.
European, Latino
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
The location is very central, easy to get to, which is very important considering the amount of times you have to go there while on treatment. The clinic is well equipped, they had everything that was needed for my treatments and were very professional. I was usually seen quickly and on time.
She was warm and yet direct. She made empathetic comments and was never judgmental.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Center.
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
My personal situation was very unconventional. She never made me feel like there was anything wrong with it. She conveyed optimism but was always very factual and very direct/clear. She showed compassion when I had a miscarriage, I don't remember the details as it was an emotional time but I remember my interaction with her always felt good.
I would just say that my experience with her was very good and that I would not hesitate to seek treatment with her again.

IVF, Donor Sperm
The nursing staff [at Houston Fertility Center] that we spoke to have been with Doctor Sonja for a very long time. She has very loyal staff and they were all very sweet and nice.... The location isn't that great but the clinic itself is organized. Very professional. They do have bilingual staff which helps out. The clinic also has their own embryologist and lab. I can't wait to go back.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
The staff and doctor are very caring and love what they do. The consultation went better than our first location CORM. They are very detailed in treatment options and are pretty blunt and compassionate to the patient.
The nursing staff that we spoke to have been with Doctor Sonja for a very long time. She has very loyal staff and they were all very sweet and nice.
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
The doctor was very detailed and explained risks and plans to the T. She communicates very well. You can also see the compassion she expresses and the care and need for her patients. She also explains the treatment with understanding of the patient.
Definitely, ask all the questions you can think of.
We are still early in the process but I can always rate and review this later.
Invocell IVF no insurance we are looking at about $12,000.00
The doctor did explain that it was better for one embryo transfer due to our situation. We definitely have twin Genes and implanting 2 embryos was not an option for my wife and I.

2013
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I think they [Houston Fertility Center] desperately need to work on customer service when someone calls in. Most people calling in have NO IDEA how to go about anything in the fertility world, so a nicer voice on the other end of the phone would be helpful...My only issue with the nursing team is, that they didn't fully explain my meds to me....This resulted in us having to stop the first round of treatments & wait another month to start over again.
2013
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
I think they desperately need to work on customer service when someone calls in. Most people calling in have NO IDEA how to go about anything in the fertility world, so a nicer voice on the other end of the phone would be helpful.
Everyone there was kind & understanding of the emotional toll of infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember her name)
My only issue with the nursing team is, that they didn't fully explain my meds to me. Knowing that this was my 1st time ever doing fertility treatments, I wasn't told how to properly take the birth control pills (after I finished the first pack). This resulted in us having to stop the first round of treatments & wait another month to start over again.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Center?
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
I thought that she was very nice, but I only saw her 3 times. 1 for my initial consultation, 2 at my egg retrieval & 3 the day she let me go as a patient. I feel that she was very knowledgeable, but it was frustrating that she told me that she couldn't get me pregnant, without giving me an option to use donor eggs.
Ask a ton of questions.