Houston Fertility Specialists

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
7900 Fannin
Sugar Land, TX 77479
251 Medical Center Blvd
Webster, TX 77598
713-512-7900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Houston Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 21Neutral: 8Don't recommend: 38.7
I work with a medical assistant with Dr. Anaya. She is very responsive and answers all of my questions!... The clinic's [Houston Fertility Specialists] website is good for promotional purposes, but not necessarily for information on their support groups etc for existing patients. When I call the front desk, they are clueless as well on the website. The financial counselors are very good, but there was a mistake with my charges where the team did not respond to a query which resulted in a bill
European, Latino, Native American
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The clinic's website is good for promotional purposes, but not necessarily for information on their support groups etc for existing patients. When I call the front desk, they are clueless as well on the website. The financial counselors are very good, but there was a mistake with my charges where the team did not respond to a query which resulted in a bill - I contested it, and they found the problem and fixed it immediately. I think the clinic should be more involved with the patient's schedule and plan, but instead let the patient reach out to their provider for updates. I think this opens up an opportunity for patient's to be forgotten or lost or appointments to be missed. I expressed this to Dr. Anaya, and she has made sure that her team reaches out to me to check in and not wait for me to call.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Yanett Anaya at Houston Fertility Specialists?
She took the time to meet with us WHENEVER we wanted, she made an effort to acknowledge the financial constraints of IVF and spoke to colleagues trying to find cheaper options for us. She completely explained all options and gave her recommendation, but in the end it was our decision which she would then fully support. Specifically, I did not want to go on BC since I suffer all major side effects. My previous doctor was going to force me to take BC which is why I switched. Dr. Anaya was amazing and came up with the plan on how to do IVF without BC without judgement. She also did all of my diagnostic procedures herself which I appreciated since I got to know her better instead of just her nurse or medical assistant.
I work with a medical assistant with Dr. Anaya. She is very responsive and answers all of my questions! Each provider has one nurse or MA assigned to them, which helps build a good relationship with the team.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Specialists?
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Anaya is very positive, polite, thorough, and energetic. She understands the entire IVF process and wants it to be a comfortable and exciting experience for her patients. When I had concern about taking BC, she agreed to make a plan that would not use BC without hesitation. When I had concern about the IVF meds, she recommended the best way to order them at the cheapest price. When I had questions about coordinating my husbands sperm extraction, she took charge and contacted her boss as well as the urologist to coordinate the master plan (my previous doctor was not coordinating and there were too many contradicting plans from each provider). She makes me feel so much at ease, and I trust her completely!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Yanett Anaya at Houston Fertility Specialists?
You should want a provider who is completely involved, who uses all of her time with you in the appointment, and who involves the patient 100% in the process.
Describe the protocols Yanett Anaya used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I myself do not have fertility issues, but my husband does. I do not know what my protocol was, but I remember that it was relatively basic. Cetrotide® 0.25 mg Follistim® 900 IU Menopur® 75 IU Ovidrel® 250 mcg
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Houston Fertility Specialists.
This was an efficient practice, and I only had to wait a little while. The window was only a few hours, so I was able to fit my scheduled around it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Yanett Anaya at Houston Fertility Specialists.
my insurance only covered diagnostics (ovarian reserve analysis, ultrasounds, genetic testing, blood work, etc). I was offered a 20% discount for military service, so my estimated costs were $11,000 for egg retrieval + freezing and two cycles of implants, $1,950 for embryo genetic testing (up to 8) through contracted service, $6,000 for medications (egg retrieval cycle and implantation cycle, ordered overseas). My husband separately had to get a MESA which had an estimated cost of $10,000.
Describe Yanett Anaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
My provider's clinic promoted single embryo transfers, but I am choosing to get 2 implanted. Dr. Anaya is a bit hesitant due to the risks associated with a multiple pregnancy, and advises me it is safer to do just one. But, with our finances and timeline, my husband and I are going to do two which she will support. I know my doctor wants what is safest, and I truly appreciate her input for that.
Yanett Anaya
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
My treatment strategy [at Houston Fertility Specialists] involved a combination of an injectable competitive gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist and gonadotropin with oral steroids and human growth hormone...The nursing staff has some very excellent professionals on its staff. There have been occasions, however, when a nurse has relayed confusing instructions or seemed overwhelmed resulting in minor mistakes.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Houston Fertility Specialists is a well-run practice. Their front office staff are always friendly and competent. Their business office is patient and willing to help you work through the sometimes confusing maze that is insurance coverage of fertility treatments. The clinic space is attractive although not as plush as other practices we explored. However, we are there for the medicine, not to go to a spa. ;-) In my experience, patient wait times are close to appointment times and the medical staff is top notch.
Dr. Anaya is warm and extremely dedicated to the well-being of her patients. We felt that we have a fighter in our corner who is committed to doing everything in her power to succeed. She makes herself available, does research to make sure all avenues are explored, pulls resources and colleagues into our treatment, is sensitive to cost, and is just an all-around decent and kind person.
The physician assistants in the practice are extremely competent and responsive. There is never a delay in getting questions answered, scheduling for treatment or testing, or responses. The nursing staff has some very excellent professionals on its staff. There have been occasions, however, when a nurse has relayed confusing instructions or seemed overwhelmed resulting in minor mistakes. It always pays to confirm medications and instructions to ensure there is no miscommunication. It is also good to get an expectation of communication during an embryo growth cycle.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Anaya is a dedicated, compassionate, and knowledgeable physician who we would recommend without hesitation. From the first moment she took over our care, she dedicated herself wholeheartedly to helping us surmount our infertility issues. She was always available to us for questions, explained courses of treatment and options thoroughly, researched and explored the latest scientific developments and options, respected our ethical boundaries, and, importantly, was kind, compassionate and supportive every step of the way. We had the resources and options to go to many practices but knew that the dedication she showed us as her patients would be difficult to beat.
Be proactive in your treatment and do not hesitate to ask questions. Dr. Anaya is a font of knowledge and helps her patients fully understand their treatment and options.
My treatment strategy involved a combination of an injectable competitive gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist and gonadotropin with oral steroids and human growth hormone.
I was double covered under my husband's and my health insurance so I am unsure about the exact cost to other patients. Our primary costs were the medications, which were purchased outside the clinic.
The practice strongly prefers single embryo transfer.
Yanett Anaya
Houston
The only real issue I've had with the nursing staff [at Houston Fertility Specialists] is returning calls. I've called 2x now with the same questions and I have not received a call back. I know that my questions are not immediate needs, however I feel they are important and I don't feel like the nursing staff sees them as important...I absolutely love Claudia in the finance department. She is available at any time and answers all my questions. She has recommendations for assistance with finances and works with you to make sure you aren't overpaying.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
When we first met with Dr. Kovanci he was very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. He took the time to explain everything in detail. However, now that our timeline will not continue until about May or June I'm having a hard time getting questions answered. This is more on the nursing staff than on the doctor. I've called 2x and left messages about the same questions with no one returning my calls. This makes me feel like a number and that they do not have time for me until we are ready to get started with the IVF cycle.
The only real issue I've had with the nursing staff is returning calls. I've called 2x now with the same questions and I have not received a call back. I know that my questions are not immediate needs, however I feel they are important and I don't feel like the nursing staff sees them as important.
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Kovanci is very knowledgeable. I've had several bad experiences with other doctors/OBGYNs throughout this process. He was the first doctor that I felt really listened to my concerns, validated the concerns and then took the time to explain what was really going on. For explain, I was diagnosed with PCOS by my OBGYN. All he told me was that I had PCOS and to not worry about it. When I met with Dr. Kovanci I shared my concern about the PCOS and frustration with not really knowing what it was. He explained what it meant, how it effects fertility, did an ultrasound to confirm, and walked me through everything he saw on the ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Describe the protocols Ertug Kovanci used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We have not started a cycle yet. We did all of the pre-testing and will start our first cycle of IVF in May/June. Unfortunately because of low sperm count and PCOS, IVF is our only option for treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Ultrasound was 150 Seman Analysis was 150 IVF 9,500 Genetic Testing 1,950 Medication 3,000-6,000
Houston
The clinic [Houston Fertility Specialists] is clean and nice and has a cool little coffee bar in the waiting area. The front staff is friendly and easy to work with. They use an online portal which is convenient. Only weaknesses would be that you have to pay for parking each visit... Dr. Chauhan never minded and was always happy to answer any questions we had, so be sure to ask...was very helpful and knowledgable. He would sometimes forget details about us and our treatment, but never to the point that I felt he didn’t care.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is clean and nice and has a cool little coffee bar in the waiting area. The front staff is friendly and easy to work with. They use an online portal which is convenient. Only weaknesses would be that you have to pay for parking each visit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Subodh Chauhan at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Chauhan was very helpful and knowledgable. He would sometimes forget details about us and our treatment, but never to the point that I felt he didn’t care.
How was your experience with Subodh Chauhan at Houston Fertility Specialists?
I thought Dr. Chauhan was the perfect doctor for us. He was recommended to us by a friend who had success after seeing him, and I’m glad we did. He’s a very nice guy, but I wouldn’t describe his bedside manner as overly warm, so if that’s really important to you, then he may not be for you. However, he is very knowledgeable and to-the-point. The only issue that was ever discovered was that my husband’s morphology was low (1%). I read probably hundreds of things online from other people who had the same issue, and many said that their RE told them that IUI would not be successful and that IVF with ICSI would be the only way they would be able to get pregnant. We brought this up to Dr. Chauhan a few times and he assured us that morphology is misunderstood and that he’s had many patients get pregnant despite low morphology. I have to admit, I was a little hesitant after reading so much from other people about it. But we trusted him and decided to do IUI as Dr. Chauhan was very confident that we’d be able to get pregnant. Sure enough, we got pregnant after our first IUI (medicated cycle with clomid). Unfortunately, it ended in an early loss/chemical pregnant (around 5 weeks). But we got pregnant again the very next IUI and now have a very healthy 3 month old boy! I’m so glad we trusted Dr. Chauhan and didn’t go elsewhere as I’m afraid we may have been pushed needlessly into doing IVF. I can’t thank Dr. Chauhan enough for helping my husband and I to create our beautiful little miracle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Subodh Chauhan at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Trust his expertise. At first, I wasn’t sure about his bedside manner. He was really friendly, but I thought about switching to a woman to get a warmer, more nurturing experience. But in working with him it’s obvious he truly cares about his patients and is really knowledgeable. Also, be sure to ask questions and voice your concerns. My husband is a questioner by nature - always ask tons of questions no matter where we are or what we’re doing. Dr. Chauhan never minded and was always happy to answer any questions we had, so be sure to ask.
Describe the protocols Subodh Chauhan used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
IUI round 1: Clomid on cycle days 3-7; took ovulation tests at home; IUI on day after positive OPK; positive pregnancy test but ended in a chemical pregnancy IUI #2: clomid cd 3-7; follicle scan on day 13 - 2 follicles on right side, both 20+mm; trigger shot on day 13; IUI on day 15; positive pregnancy test that led to our baby
Subodh Chauhan
Houston
[The nurses at Houston Fertility Specialists were] Helpful and always provided answers...The Strengths are definitely the expertise of doctors and the price point for IVF treatment. This clinic was able to work with me (due to agreement with my insurance) even though insurance did not provide coverage. The weaknesses include the location with parking fees. This was an added expense as I live farther from this office. I also felt some weakness and lack of helpfulness from a few members of the front office staff.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Kovanci was a second opinion for my husband and I. We had suffered 3 miscarriages, and we were ready to try an IVF cycle. Dr. Kovanci answered all of our questions thoroughly and even explained what he would treat prior to the IVF cycle. We felt comfortable and in good hands, and we felt compelled to change doctors after meeting with him.
Helpful and always provided answers.
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Kovanci discovered a potential problem in my treatment the first time we met. I had been seeing another fertility doctor for 9 months. Dr. Kovanci immediately told me that if I were his patient that he would put me on a low dose thyroid medication which was not on the other doctor’s radar. I had asked my other doctor about this , but Dr. Kovanci was the receptive one. He was very matter of fact but in a kind and respectful manner. He also did not pressure us to start seeing him. Dr. Kovanci explained the IVF cycle very thoroughly as well. I started the thyroid meds and ordered meds for the IVF cycle. I went to the appointment to learn how to give myself the meds. This all occurred in one months time. The next time I saw Dr. Kovanci, he was confirming news that I was 6 weeks pregnant (no IVF needed). I am convinced that the thyroid meds made all the difference in my treatment, and I am thankful to Dr. Kovanci for trying to solve the medical issue.
Trust him.
Thyroid medication- Alrhough my thyroid numbers were in normal range, Dr. Kovanci recognized they were too high for optimal pregnancy. No birth control at start of IVF cycle- Dr. Kovanci made this decision based on my age (40). He stated that there was no scientific research, but he felt that he did not want to chance stifling my egg production. Both decisions ultimately changed my treatment and were beneficial for me.
We paid right under $4000 for IVF meds. We were prepared to pay an additional 12,000 for the cycle plus PGS, but this was not necessary at the last minute.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
The Katy nurse [from Houston Fertility Specialists] (Juanita) was wonderful. The Fannin Street nurses were not. I felt the lack of communication and attention to detail was a huge stressor for me during my cycle. The nurses in the lab where my procedures were done were excellent! Loved them all!... Issues with timely responses from nurses. Conflicting dosage between my online flow chart and the communication I was given. Lack of overview of the process.
European, Black or African-American
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Great lab and nurses at the lab. No long waits which I really enjoyed. I did not like how I thought all my monitoring was going to be done in Katy but then half the time I had to go downtown because the Doctors were out of the Katy office. I did like my Doctor for the most part as well.
I did not see my Doctor very often, and felt like a number until the actual retrieval. During the retrieval, transfer and follow up after failed IVF he was warm and attentive.
The Katy nurse (Juanita) was wonderful. The Fannin Street nurses were not. I felt the lack of communication and attention to detail was a huge stressor for me during my cycle. The nurses in the lab where my procedures were done were excellent! Loved them all!
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Kovanchi is professional and explains well when asked about things. However, sometimes I felt like he could have done more to help me prepare for my cycle. If I asked what to eat, about supplements, acupuncture etc. he just said he doesn't really believe it makes a difference. After my failed cycle, and researching on my own, I believe it could have made a difference. He is very compassionate which I liked.
Do your own research too. Don't just rely on what the Doctor tells you. Ask many questions.
Antagonist protocol. I started on what he called normal dosage and was increased along my 12 days of stimming. He wanted as many eggs as possible. I ended up with 27 eggs, 16 mature, 5 fertilized and 1 blast made it to day 5. Negative beta.
$12000 for the IVF cycle, $550 for anaestesia, $1200 for monitoring, $1000 for freezing embryo + $3500 for medications
Describe Ertug Kovanci's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
I only had one blast so there was no choice to make. I would have done eSET if I had more.
Houston
The clinic [Houston Fertility Specialists] is clean and runs pretty smoothly but they transfer samples to different containers so be cautious to insure it's your sample...The nursing staff was rude and cold....Also, the first iui we had, my husbands sperm count reflected 25 million when the previous and subsequent counts were 5 million or less. We had a bad feeling that our sample could have been mishandled...He expects you to know when you're ovulating and it could be a waste of time, money, and emotional distress if you aren't at least a little experienced with the processes.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is clean and runs pretty smoothly but they transfer samples to different containers so be cautious to insure it's your sample
Doctor could never remember me despite going in to see him for scans and iui treatments.
The nursing staff was rude and cold.
How was your experience with Subodh Chauhan at Houston Fertility Specialists?
The bright side of seeing this doctor was he performed our iui procedure with less than 5 million sperm when other doctors would not. The down side is that he treated us like a number and would even carry on a conversation with my husband wile I was in sturrips. Also, the first iui we had, my husbands sperm count reflected 25 million when the previous and subsequent counts were 5 million or less. We had a bad feeling that our sample could have been mishandled.
Know the procedure. He expects you to know when you're ovulating and it could be a waste of time, money, and emotional distress if you aren't at least a little experienced with the processes.
He would have me get an ultrasound day 1-3 of my period to check for any cysts then prescribe the cliomid and injection. I would be told to call the clinic when I had a positive ovulation test from the home kit. I would come in the day after the positive test for another ultrasound and sometimes be told to come back in a few days because the follicles weren't big enough. I would come back to have the procedure and he would tell us the results of the sperm count post wash. He would often comment, "there are not many sperm but of course it only takes one, are you sure you want to do it?." Almost every time he would seemingly want me to not have the iui and wait for another cycle, take more drugs, more scans, and throw away the washed sperm. Of course after all that, who would want to?? He would finish the procedure talking with my husband like I'm livestock up in the stirrups plunging a huge speculum in my body. I would be in pain for weeks and sore only to get a negative pregnancy test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Subodh Chauhan at Houston Fertility Specialists.
I don't remember
Describe Subodh Chauhan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
We haven't had the financial means to have ivf yet.
Subodh Chauhan
Houston
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr Mazur's medical assistant, Ashley, and nurse, Amanda are kind and compassionate. They always respond to phone calls and text messages promptly, and are always on top of prescription requests, appointment and surgery scheduling and the communication of test results...Our IUIs and the IVF procedures were covered under my insurance. Other than coinsurance and co-pays, our out of pocket costs were around $5000 for the PGS testing which wasn't covered by insurance.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The reception staff are always organized and friendly. They made an effort to learn my name and go out of their way to help at any opportunity.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr Mazur really cares about his patients. You can tell he is invested in the outcome. He really takes time to listen, answers all questions and makes you feel important rather than just a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr Mazur has an excellent bedside manner. He is caring and compassionate, but also realistic. He thoroughly covers all treatment options and takes the time to answer all questions. I have never felt rushed, or like my questions and concerns were insignificant or unfounded. Dr Mazur also has a direct phone line that you can call or text, and questions and concerns are addressed immediately.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Ask whatever questions you need to, no matter how simple or silly you think they are - don't be afraid that you're wasting his time.
Describe the protocols Erik Mazur used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I'm currently 13 weeks pregnant with our little boy after our first FET. From the beginning, Dr Mazur outlined the intended treatment plan of 2-3 IUIs before moving on to IVF if the IUIs were not successful due to me having a low AMH. The first IUI cycle was with 100mg clomid, the second with 100mg clomid and an ovidrel trigger shot. The second IUI resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. As this was my second ectopic pregnancy, Dr Mazur advised moving straight to IUI, as it appeared I had tubal issues (despite the HSG being clear). For our first IVF cycle, I took birth control for a month followed by Menopur and Gonal-F, with cetrotide added in during the second week. I appeared to be a slow responder and only had 2 good sized follicles during my check-up ultrasounds. The day I was supposed to trigger ovulation, my estrogen level dropped dramatically, which Dr Mazur said could be an indication of poor egg quality. We talked through our options, and Dr Mazur gave us the choice of cancelling the cycle, or continuing anyway. He didn't pressure us either way, but he did say that he felt we could do better by changing up a few things - we decided to cancel the cycle and start over. Before our 2nd cycle Dr Mazur prescribed DHEA and CoQ10 for a month. We skipped the birth control and started the stim meds straight away on day 2 of my cycle. We kept the protocol the same, with the exception of an increase in Gonal-F mid-way through the process. We started off with a large number of follicles, which dropped down to 2 again by the time of egg retrieval. We decided to go ahead this time since my estrogen levels remained high throughout. The retrieval resulted in 6 eggs from one ovary (my left ovary is inaccessible) - 3 fertilized and 2 made it to day 5 blasts. We did PGS testing and the 2 blasts and thankfully both were genetically normal and high quality. We did our FET the following month, and are expecting our little boy in September. We can't thank Dr Mazur enough for making this happen for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Describe Erik Mazur's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Dr Mazur is a strong supporter of eSET and stated that he wanted me to have a healthy singleton pregnancy. Due to my age and other health issues, we wanted to minimize whatever risks we could, and were on board with just transferring a single embryo - especially as we knew both ours were top quality.
Houston
The [Houston Fertility Specialists] clinic is efficient, generally runs on time, and communicates well. For IVF cycles, I was disappointed that the lab doesn't provide daily (or every other day) updates on the embryo progression like I had seen with other clinics...While I was not assigned a primary nurse, I came to know most of the nurses that I would interact with. Typically, one of two nurses would be the ones calling me with U/S and bloodwork results, and I met them on my visits to the Fannin office (I used the Sugar Land satellite office for most of my monitoring appointments). The nurses were always compassionate and kind with any news they were delivering, and I never had any communication issues via the portal, phone, or in person...
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is efficient, generally runs on time, and communicates well. For IVF cycles, I was disappointed that the lab doesn't provide daily (or every other day) updates on the embryo progression like I had seen with other clinics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Dunn has been compassionate and caring throughout our process. When we came to a crossroads in our treatment plan, he encouraged us to seek a second opinion. He speaks candidly yet gently, and I genuinely feel he has our best interests at heart.
How was your experience with Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Dunn has been open and honest with us, but I sometimes feels he chooses his words with the intention of being as gentle as possible. For me, the eternal realist, this is not an issue, but I can see how some patients could be given false hope. Outside of that, I feel he is straightforward and addresses any concerns immediately. He is able to step away from his "doctor mode" when needed, and give us genuine, heartfelt advice. I feel extremely comfortable with Dr. Dunn, and I trust him with the most important thing of all - my family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Bring all of your questions - Dr. Dunn will take the time to answer each one carefully.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists.
My IVF cycles were covered in large part by my insurance, but I found that the way the appointments and procedures were billed seemed to keep costs down under what even the financial counselor estimated. Each cycle cost in total under $2000 - again, that was with great insurance coverage.
Describe Randall Dunn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Dunn explained to us the probability of pregnancy with each scenario including fresh transfers, frozen transfers, and PGS tested embryo transfers. Because we chose to go with PGS, he encouraged us to transfer one at a time. I do not believe Dr. Dunn was opposed to multiple embryo transfers, but he did not feel it was the right choice for our situation.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Not the clinics [Houston Fertility Specialists] fault, but it's in the Houston vicinity, which is huge. Depending on how your cycle falls, even if you are based out of a clinic on the North side, if you have to have lab work or scans done on a day the DR is downtown, that's where you go.... The RN that explained my follicle numbers and sizes was wonderful! Took the time to really answer all my questions. Was very thorough when showing me the Follistim Pen and medications.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Not the clinics fault, but it's in the Houston vicinity, which is huge. Depending on how your cycle falls, even if you are based out of a clinic on the North side, if you have to have lab work or scans done on a day the DR is downtown, that's where you go. Luckily, my job was in between and they graciously let me go over my lunch hour.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Tried to accommodate varied schedules, very helpful with the expensive medications, made sure I was able to obtain everything I needed.
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Very pleasant doctor, but did not see her for each visit. Can tell she is very busy and has lots of patients. Delegates the egg monitoring and medication administering to other staff. I did feel "heard" and she made a point to be proactive with my preferences.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Even monitored/assisted cycles can end in a Negative pregnancy test. We might not be able to control everything, but we sure can control a LOT!
Describe the protocols Leah Schenk used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
This was my first IUI attempt, so we started with a basic Clomid 100mg regiment cycle days 3-7, then switched to Follistim injection (originally 125iu then dropped dose to 100iu due to responding VERY well) for cycle days 8-12, Ovidrel trigger on cycle day 12. Did not undergo IUI due to too many follicles. Were advised to try unassisted.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists.
My insurance did not pay anything except the blood work. They were understanding of having to pay out-of-pocket, but it was still very expensive.
Describe Leah Schenk's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Did not get this far.
2013 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
The staff [Houston Fertility Specialists] is very friendly, and the offices are always clean. They did some reorganization of the rooms between my first and second times, and it just all seems like a series of small rooms and waiting rooms - which is something small to complain about.... Although the nurses there are very nice, it is always hard to get in touch with them. I wish the response time were quicker.
2013 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very friendly, and the offices are always clean. They did some reorganization of the rooms between my first and second times, and it just all seems like a series of small rooms and waiting rooms - which is something small to complain about.
Dr Dunn and his staff were very attentive to my needs as a patient. I ask a lot of questions, and they were always understanding.
How was your experience with Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists?
I saw another R.E. prior to seeing Dr. Dunn. I didn't realize that I wasn't receiving proper care until my very first visit with him. He immediately diagnosed me with PCOS, based on my lab results and medical history, and he set forth a plan of care. He always made me feel that, no matter the outcome of the next step, that he was on my side and determined to help.
Don't be afraid to ask questions about everything: the process, the next step, what you should expect, ... just ask!
Describe the protocols Randall Dunn used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
When I was trying to get pregnant with my first child (who is now an amazing almost 3 year old), Dr Dunn diagnosed me with PCOS and hypothyroidism. Since starting ovulation at home testing, I had never once ovulated - and he said that was due to the PCOS and thyriod issues. I started oral medication for those two and was told I needed to be on them for 12 weeks prior to let my body adjust. In that time, he did a test to check my uterus and found that I had fibroids. We scheduled my surgery, but he allowed me to take two rounds of clomid in the mean time - I never grew follicles large enough to ovulate on either cycle. After the surgery, I did two rounds of femara. The first round was the first time I ever ovulated. I did a trigger shot (ovidrel), but the cycle was not successful. I was pregnant on the second cycle. The second time I started seeing Dr. Dunn, we did the same protocol. I got pregnant on the second cycle again.
I am fortunate to have insurance coverage, so I'm not completely sure about the total costs. However, the costs were cheaper that the first clinic I went to - the IUI procedure was several hundred cheaper.
Houston
She [a nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists] was there at every appointment and made up for Dr. Grunerts lack of bedside manner. She answered all my questions and was always very helpful.... My first IUI cycle I did a stair step method of Clomid starting at 50mg and ending at 150mg. I believe I had 3 follies but it was unsuccessful. Our next round of IUI we did 7.5mg of Femara and I believe we again had 3 follies but it was unsuccessful. My final round of IUI was again with 7.5 Femara and we only had one follicle and it was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
I only had one appointment that went a little longer than expected but all in all very organized and very well staffed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with George Grunert at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Grunert is very smart and from my experience a lot of very smart people do not have the best social skills. Although he did not always feel like someone I could easily converse with, after consulting with another Dr. I will be going back to see Dr. Grunert because I felt like he truly put his all into my cycles and will give me the best care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists.
She was there at every appointment and made up for Dr. Grunerts lack of bedside manner. She answered all my questions and was always very helpful.
How was your experience with George Grunert at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Grunert was very thorough and you can tell he is well educated with what he does. He was a little hard to follow though because he used a lot of terms I didn't know the meaning of and since he was my first Dr. I was a little intimidated to ask questions. I did seek a second opinion and have decided Dr. Grunert is the best Dr. for me. I felt much more comfortable in his clinic and very well taken care of. I have not yet undergone IVF but that is my next step and Dr Grunert will definitely be my Dr. for that next step.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of George Grunert at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Don't be afraid to ask questions and to have him explain everything to your understanding.
Describe the protocols George Grunert used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Houston
Everything Amanda [nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists] provided was well organized. She printed calendars for us and marked every single medicine and step. They also provided a cellphone number where if we had any questions we could just text the team. They replied even during the weekends...From the first day Dr. Mazur was very open to our questions and our concerns. He explained every little detailed of the process. He never pressured us to make a decision. Thank God we decided to give IVF a try and thank God we decided to have Dr. Mazur and his team be by our side. Before any procedure Dr. Mazur will take the time to talk to me to make sure I was feeling well physically and emotionally. I will never be able to thank him enough for being so kind, gentle, and understanding. He made us feel comfortable, relaxed, and special. I have no doubt this made a difference in our outcome.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
We never waited more than 5 minutes in the waiting area! Everything was cleaned and orgnized.
Not only he always took the time to explain every step but during every step care about how I was feeling physically and emotionally
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Amanda )
Everything Amanda provided was well organized. She printed calendars for us and marked every single medicine and step. They also provided a cellphone number where if we had any questions we could just text the team. They replied even during the weekends.
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
We did IVF – Dr. Mazur suggested the embryo genetic testing for all our embryos. Best advice he has ever given us. Half our embryos were not viable and this made a huge difference in the process. Since this has been such a long journey, we suggested Dr. Mazur to transfer two embryos instead of one. He did not feel comfortable with 2 embryos being transfer since he did not want me to have a high risk pregnancy and he was confident I was going to get pregnant. THANK GOD we decided to listen to him and just transfered one – on the first transfer we got pregnant.
Since this has been such a long journey, we suggested Dr. Mazur to transfer two embryos instead of one. He did not feel comfortable with 2 embryos being transfer since he did not want me to have a high risk pregnancy and he was confident I was going to get pregnant. THANK GOD we decided to listen to him and just transfer one – on the first transfer we got pregnant.
Houston
The clinic is conveniently located off Fannin, very professional environment, and my only complaint would be that you have to pay for parking....My insurance didn't cover anything related to meds or the actual IUI/IVF procedures, but the office did run through ultrasounds, check ups etc when they could which was a big help. I believe costs for procedures and meds were fair when comparing to other fertility centers in Houston. For example one IVF cycle with all meds, retrieval, freezing of embryos, and two transfers was about 20k.... Amanda and Ashley [at Houston Fertility Specialists] were amazing. They work together with Dr. Mazur very well. They are very organized, smart and communicate effectively through the entire process. Even when you have tons of questions!...
Latino, Middle Eastern, Other
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Mazur is extremely personable and kind. He is very smart and does a great job of explaining all procedures/treatments to you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Amanda & Ashley)
Amanda and Ashley were amazing. They work together with Dr. Mazur very well. They are very organized, smart and communicate effectively through the entire process. Even when you have tons of questions!
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr, Mazur is an amazing doctor. He is so smart and qualified to do these treatments. He is kind, patient, always optimistic but honest with you about your individual situation. He will always be honest and tell you what the thinks the most successful plan of action is. I couldn't have had a better doctor throughout this process. Everything he explained or said in good times and bad was true.
Ask as many questions as possible. Treatments are expensive, and it is very time consuming to go through this. Not to mention the emotions tied to it. Make sure you are informed and aware of how what will happen, how medicines work, etc. There are no silly questions.
He recommended IUI's with us bc he thought we would be good candidates, when the 4th one failed due to my system reacting weirdly to meds he advised us to move to IVF and was confident it would work.
Dr. Mazur was confident the FET would work that he advised us to not transfer multiple embryo's unless we wanted multiples. Their office does a second FET included in the fee for the first incase it doesn't work. He is concerned about the health risks to moms and babies on multiples, we didn't push the issue bc we only wanted one baby.
Houston
I really don't like that you check out at the end of your visit [at Hou Fert Specialists - Hou]. I was in pain after both IUIs. It was difficult to stand. I had to wait in line for awhile then they wanted to talk about my balance. I told the front desk staff I was in pain can we do this later and she said "no"...Everything was done in network. Which kept our costs low. That was not the case with my previous Doctor...
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
I really don't like that you check out at the end of your visit. I was in pain after both IUIs. It was difficult to stand. I had to wait in line for awhile then they wanted to talk about my balance. I told the front desk staff I was in pain can we do this later and she said "no".
He explained everything, didn't rush me and listened to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer and nancy )
We I first started out as a patient I was not happy with the nursing staff. At one point the lab lost my blood and it delayed us another month. Nancy was very apologetic and from there on always made an effort to take care of me. The nurse Jennifer does not have a good bedside manner. I called to tell her I think I might have a cyst because I was having severe stabbing pain that would drop me to the floor. She said that is cant be possible because I just started the clomid on my second cycle. We went arguing back and forth because she was insistent that it couldn't happen. I finally told her "Do you just want me to wait out the pain? Tell Dr. Grunet. I will go to the ER if this continues.
How was your experience with George Grunert at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He was compassionate and never seemed like he was rushing on to the next patient. Unlike my first fertility doctor Dr. Grunert never made me feel like it was all about him getting paid.
Be patient. The fertility treatment process and testing takes a long time.
Dr. Grunert did not think we would have much luck with IUIs because of our situation. Our insurance requires us to do 3 before moving on to IVF. He explained our chances and told us not to give up.
Describe the costs associated with your care under George Grunert at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Clinic [Houston Fert Specialists] has a lot of doctors so they have appointment times available pretty quickly. It is located right next to an OBGYN which is a punch in the gut when you can't get pregnant. They also allow children in the waiting room, which is another punch in the gut...Nursing staff was great at explaining things, however, there is an email in my patient portal stating that I would like to try IUI before IVF, and that is 100% untrue. Not entirely sure why that would be documented if that conversation never took place...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Clinic has a lot of doctors so they have appointment times available pretty quickly. It is located right next to an OBGYN which is a punch in the gut when you can't get pregnant. They also allow children in the waiting room, which is another punch in the gut.
Dr. Grunert is friendly on the surface, but as a woman, I felt like he did not listen to my concerns as a whole. If my fiancé happened to be there, Dr. Grunert would refer to him, when in reality, I was the one driving the appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Veronica)
How was your experience with George Grunert at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Grunert seems friendly and open when you initially meet him, and he is a nice man overall, but when it comes to my health, I felt like I didn't get the whole picture. He did not explain to me that I had diminished ovarian reserve. It wasn't until months later that I finally asked and he responded "yes" as if I should have known that. Additionally, I was initially told that IUI would be "worthless" with the severity of MFI that we have. However, several months later, IUI was practically forced on me. I had been told that I could stay on ovulation drugs indefinitely while we waited on IVF and then told that that was not the case.
Be prepared to not be taken seriously.
When we initially started, I was taking femara with monitoring ultrasounds and then a trigger shot which seemed to help my ovulation along. However, measurements were never discussed with me. After taking a two month break from femara, we went back on it and did not produce follicles big enough so I was instructed to increase my dosage and start them again on CD 12 which induced ovulation before I could be monitored again.
Treatment cost was dependent on my insurance. Seemed reasonable
Houston
Dr. Schenk [at Houston Fertility Specialists] has her own team of nurses that you can reach via a dedicated phone line. The phone generally doesn't get answered if it rings, but they do return messages the same day. They are all very busy and have little time to spend with individual patients but are kind and caring when they are with you.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
I believe all the other doctors at the clinic other than Dr. Mazur use the in house ultrasound tech to perform their ultrasounds. In general, this would not be an issue, as you have your ultrasound then wait to see the nurse or doctor. Unfortunately, when we had our miscarriage the tech performed the ultrasound and we found out what had happened though they can't officially tell you anything and then had to sit around in the waiting room for the doctor.
After each failed cycle she always met with us and explained what happened that cycle. She was open to any input I had in changing my medication each cycle and listened to our opinions while providing pros and cons of what we wanted to try.
Dr. Schenk has her own team of nurses that you can reach via a dedicated phone line. The phone generally doesn't get answered if it rings, but they do return messages the same day. They are all very busy and have little time to spend with individual patients but are kind and caring when they are with you.
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schenk was both compassionate and candid throughout the whole process and would give us frank estimations of our chances with each cycle.
Make sure to ask questions. She doesn't mind answering them like some doctors, but you do have to ask.
When we first began I was diagnosed with PCOS and she was sure it would be fairly easy to treat. We began with Femara IUIs and did two of those with no success before the protocol was changed. I was closely monitored each month via ultrasound to check for follicle development and uterine lining. For the next two IUIs we did both Femara and Follistim before the IUI with additional blood work monitoring and got pregnant on the fourth. Unfortunately, we lost the pregnancy at 9 weeks but Dr. Schenk was very compassionate and gave us our options with both pros and cons for each treatment of how to proceed with the miscarriage. We opted for a D/C and she performed the operation herself instead of sending me off to a strange doctor. After a two cycle healing process to rebuild the uterine lining we began again with Femara and Follistim IUIs since they worked before with the same monitoring as before. We completed two more with no success so we decided that we would do one more IUI before moving on to IVF the following year. We talked with Dr. Schenk and decided to do a Follistim only protocol for the IUI to see how I reacted to the medication that way we would have some information going into IVF if this IUI didn't work. Luckily, the last IUI worked and we did not have to move on to IVF.
As we were only doing IUI procedures they were covered under my insurance.
Houston
I remember only one negative experience [at Houston Fertility Specialists]. It was the moment of my first ultrasound. The nurse tech was having a bad morning and was rude. She turned the monitor away from me so that I could not see it and haphazardly announced I was having twins. Not a moment I will ever forget. I cannot recall her name, but I imagine it is in my chart....I had one more donor sample left at the clinic. I received a call that there had been improper temperature control and that sample was no longer viable...They were fortunate that I did not need the sample.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The only weakness was in the waiting period.
Dr. Kovanci did not seem to have any issues with the fact that I was a single mom by choice. He was attentive and kind and honest about the statistics in my case.
I remember only one negative experience. It was the moment of my first ultrasound. The nurse tech was having a bad morning and was rude. She turned the monitor away from me so that I could not see it and haphazardly announced I was having twins. Not a moment I will ever forget. I cannot recall her name, but I imagine it is in my chart.
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Prior to meeting Kovanci, I interviewed another FS, whom I did not like at all. I immediately felt comfortable in Kovanci's presence and he was very upfront about all of the statistics based on my genetic testing... but he also seemed to love a challenge. He was always very compassionate and empathic toward my feelings and concerns. I have nothing negative to say. He took a chance on me and against the odds, I became pregnant with twins on our 2nd try through IUI and gave birth to 2 healthy and happy little girls.
Trust him and the process.
First time, IUI was done with no drugs. Second IUI was done with Chlomid. The rationale for using Chlomid was two fold. I was out of town and needed to change the date of my ovulation and he wanted to see if Chlomid would increase the chances of a positive pregnancy result.
Insurance did not cover my costs for these visits or procedure. There was an initial consultation fee and then fees for the actual procedures.
2012 - 2013
Working in the med center, this was very convenient for me, although they [Houston Fertility Institute] had limited hours for appointments with the physicians... Some were better than others, but overall we really liked the nursing staff...He [Dr Haddad] generally took the time to explain things to us, but not always. Next steps weren't necessarily specific to us, more about what most people do next.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Working in the med center, this was very convenient for me, although they had limited hours for appointments with the physicians.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gus Haddad at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He generally took the time to explain things to us, but not always. Next steps weren't necessarily specific to us, more about what most people do next.
Some were better than others, but overall we really liked the nursing staff.
How was your experience with Gus Haddad at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He was very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. We often felt like he wanted to be a bit more aggressive than we felt was necessary at the time, but I feel like that's better than waiting forever. When we miscarried, he shared that he and his wife had lost a baby too, although he also said that most likely the baby had a genetic issue and that we didn't want to keep a baby with problems anyway. I ended up getting pregnant when we took a month break from treatment, and he followed me through my first trimester anyway.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gus Haddad at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He is very straight and to the point, but he's a good doctor.
Describe the protocols Gus Haddad used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I came in having done clomid and femara with ovidrel and timed intercourse with my OB. He continued the femara and did IUI with progesterone, and we got pregnant that month but miscarried. When we tried again, we did the same thing and did not get pregnant, then the next month we took a break and conceived naturally with a healthy pregnancy. It seemed like everything we added was just a "it could help, won't hurt" type thing. We were going to start bravelle the next cycle but ended up not needing it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gus Haddad at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Natural cycle with IUI: 1200 Clomid with intercourse: 800 Clomid with IUI: 1500 Injections with intercourse: 1500 Injections with IUI: 2300
Gus Haddad
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
IUI with meds [at Houston Fertility Insitute] was close to $3500...Waiting room at piney Point seems a bit small. They are usually on time with appointments and even waited for my husband who was stuck in traffic...Some people bring their kids, so be aware that you may see a kid in there and it could trigger emotions...RPL blood panel, hysteroscopy, HSG. All results came back normal. We ended up doing IUI
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Waiting room at piney Point seems a bit small. They are usually on time with appointments and even waited for my husband who was stuck in traffic. Staff is polite and welcoming and always say bye. Some people bring their kids, so be aware that you may see a kid in there and it could trigger emotions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Witz took the time to understand me and my husband. He did as much diagnostic testing as he could to find out why I have had two consecutive miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cecilia)
Cecelia knows and understand the struggle of infertility and she treats you as an equal. She is helpful and replies to emails quickly.
How was your experience with Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Witz is very knowledgable in infertility and the plan of action needed to achieve success. He did elaborate diagnostic testing and HSG and a hysteroscopy to rule out any issues that may be causing my miscarriages. He recommended IVF with chromosomal (PGS) testing for an accurate pregnancy. He felt confident we would get pregnant on our own again, but if we chose to, we could do IVF. We actually chose to speed up the process and try IUI. It was successful and I am now pregnant!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
Describe the protocols Craig Witz used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
RPL blood panel, hysteroscopy, HSG. All results came back normal. We ended up doing IUI with Clomid, Gonal-F, and Ovidrel, along with progesterone. I am pregnant as a result from one IUI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Craig Witz at Houston Fertility Specialists.
IUI with meds was close to $3500
Craig Witz
IUI, 1 IVF
Very organized [Houston Fertility Specialists]. Easy to get appointments and offer multiple locations. Wish the doctors had more hours at the clinic close to me instead of having to go the medical center location for many of my appointments.... They always responded very quickly following a call or email. They never made me feel crazy even though my questions probably were. They were all very caring and compassionate.
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Very organized. Easy to get appointments and offer multiple locations. Wish the doctors had more hours at the clinic close to me instead of having to go the medical center location for many of my appointments.
Dr. Kovanci was always pleasant and helpful when we met with him. We even saw him at a fertility event outside of appointments and he recognized us and came over to talk with my husband and I.
They were amazing!!! They always responded very quickly following a call or email. They never made me feel crazy even though my questions probably were. They were all very caring and compassionate.
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
I wish we were able to see Dr Kovanci more, but we even saw him for a monitoring appointment. He was also helpful and answered all my questions no matter how crazy they were. Dr. Kovanci was very compassionate and caring during all the required procedures and eased my mind as we went through each one.
Prior to starting the IVF cycle we had most testing with our OB; however, we did a few additional including genetic testing. I was very thankful for this as we learned a it about our genetics and how they would work together. He prescribed what I would consider an average amount of medication that I have seen across multiple people utilizing IVF.
$14,000 IVF (includes 2 transfers) $1750 PGS testing
Initially dr Kovanci went through the risks and benefits of each. I went in wanting to transfer two embryos, but ultimately decided on one after speaking with Dr. Kovanci.
Houston
Very busy clinic [Houston Fertility Specialists-Houston]. I guess that means they are successful, but it can feel awkward sometimes. The labs used are in the same building but are at different locations. The staff is nice and will answer any question posed. I have never experienced rudeness. The lab on the 1st floor is terrible. I had painful blood draws at the 1st floor location. I have never had trouble at the 4th floor location.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Very busy clinic. I guess that means they are successful, but it can feel awkward sometimes. The labs used are in the same building but are at different locations. The staff is nice and will answer any question posed. I have never experienced rudeness. The lab on the 1st floor is terrible. I had painful blood draws at the 1st floor location. I have never had trouble at the 4th floor location.
Dr. Mazur had a great bedside manner. He was kind and gentle with us and explained everything. He addressed our concerns at every point.
I saw very little of the nursing staff. They took my vitals and showed me to my room. They were pleasant. i have no complaints.
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Mazur was everything I expected in a prescriber. He was not pushy or spoke above our heads. He was compassionate with our loss and was confident in our ability to conceive. He participated in every procedure and was always available. Our calls were always addressed and I never felt as if I was alone or uninformed.
Don't be afraid to speak your mind and have an idea of your expectations.
We used Clomid (I for got the days) and monitored time for ovulation with ovulation predictor kits followed by a blood test. Then I was triggered with Ovidrel. Then I had a single IUI after about 40 hours.
I was quoted an amount for IUI and that was what I paid. No surprises.
not discussed
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Great staff from front desk to nurses [at Houston Fertility Specialists]. I would have the nurses get back to the patients in a more timely manner. I would have the nurses answer the telephone instead of leaving a message and waiting for them to return the phone call... IVF costs were the cheapest in the city. I really liked this about the clinic. All of the other clinics are charging $2000 or more for the same treatments
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Great staff from front desk to nurses. I would have the nurses get back to the patients in a more timely manner. I would have the nurses answer the telephone instead of leaving a message and waiting for them to return the phone call
He was always abrupt when speaking one on one. He was watching his computer and had very little eye contact. He never gave me a good explanation for my egg retrieval not working out.
All the nurses were compassionate and devasted when things did not work in my favor. I really love all the nursing staff
How was your experience with Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Dunn was great upon first meeting. I had several complications and as time went on his visits were more about taking notes and less about options. He wanted me to use donor eggs before trying with my own eggs. I had egg retrieval and wanted to try again and he was against trying again with my own eggs.
Make sure you are under the age of 38 and trying to conceive. He told me he wished I would have came to see him when I was 38 or younger. I think he has had more success with that age group versus the 40 and older club
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
PCOS, Unexplained
This clinic [Houston Fertility Specialists] is great, even down to their front desk or financial advisors!... Ashley [a nurse] got to know us over the time of our treatments, and now when I call she knows my number and answers in phone with a hey! or how are you?... IUI's- 1st femara cd 3-7, scan CD 10 IUI scheduled 2 days later 2nd clomid- 50 mg cd3-7 scan CD 10 IUI scheduled 2 days later 3rd- clomid 100 mg cd 3-7 CD 10 IUI scheduled 2 days later 4th- clomid 100 mg, gonal f CD 10 IUI scheduled 2 days later IVF- follistim 225, menopur 75 (raised to 150), ganirellix added day 8 I believe. Scans every other day after day 5.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is great, even down to their front desk or financial advisors!
Dr. Mazur was down to earth and when delivering news he was always realistic but nice about it. He always knew my case without having to look up notes and would remember things about me that weren't in my file
Ashley got to know us over the time of our treatments, and now when I call she knows my number and answers in phone with a hey! or how are you?
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
I loved Dr. Mazur, when I got news that he was moving across the country I cried the entire night. He was amazing and encouraging. I especially liked that he made a point to be at every single appointment whether it was during the week or on a wekeend
He is the best doctor you will ever find, trust him, if you have questions ask them even if you have asked them before.
IUI-$300 (no meds) IVF w/ 1 year of freezing and no PGS (no meds) $12,000
He wanted me to transfer 1 embryo, due to high risk pregnancy's with multiples.
Houston
I had Trouble ever speaking to a person via phone. They [Houston Fertility Specialists] almost never answer the phone You have to leave a vm or send an email and get a call back. That was very frustrating. Once they responded however they were very thorough and friendly. It’s just the initial frustration of never being able to get in touch with someone on the first try. It’s important if you know your cycles to keep great records or use an app to track for a bit before you visit.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
I had Trouble ever speaking to a person via phone. They almost never answer the phone You have to leave a vm or send an email and get a call back. That was very frustrating. Once they responded however they were very thorough and friendly. It’s just the initial frustration of never being able to get in touch with someone on the first try. It’s important if you know your cycles to keep great records or use an app to track for a bit before you visit. Cycle days are super important information to share with the clinic
Everyone was friendly and empathetic
Compassionate and responsive
How was your experience with Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He’s very smart and explains everything thoroughly. He’s great with my husband and listens with no judgement. I felt Like he was honest without being mean or rude. He seems compassionate and caring. He would take the tome to get to know us and I never felt Like we had less than his full attention while I was his patient.
Do lots of research so you can ask all the questions you want. Make lists of things you want to know.
We did iui with clomid bc my husband has retrograde ejaculation.
40 for iui with insurance. All meds were self pay
2012 - 2016
They [the nurses at Houston Fertility Institute] were very informative and were the main source for treatment information. The were efficient and kind...I tried multiple clinic locations with HFI. And found that service differed between each. In general I found the clinics efficient and helpful. I preferred the staff at the Katy location. They were more personal and made the experience more positive overall.
2012 - 2016
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Dr Haddad is very matter of fact and direct. He provided clear expectation with our much emotion. And I feel he would not recognize me in the hallway outside his office.
They were very informative and were the main source for treatment information. The were efficient and kind.
How was your experience with Gus Haddad at Houston Fertility Specialists?
We rarely saw him. We even had to request a consultation at one point because we had not seen him in almost a year. I had used him years before for a surgical issue and I think he was seeing a limited number of patients possible when we began IUI and IVF so it maybe is why he was not frequently present at visits. It was an impersonal experience working with him.
Come prepared with your questions. If you are looking for a Dr with a warm bedside manner, he may not be the Dr for you. But he provided us with effective and direct treatment and his approach worked for us.
We were able to cover a lot of our cost through insurance.
Gus Haddad
2013 - 2014
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
The clinic name [Hou Fert Specialists] speaks to the fact that bringing fertility to couples is the main goal. After, becoming pregnant, there were many available doctors to help with.y concerns. I am grateful to all the nursing staff and doctors...Got a prescription not needed and it wasted money...horough hormone testing, counseling on procedures, egg retrieval, embryo freezing, pgs testing, explaining embryo quality, letting us cboose embryo, transfer.
2013 - 2014
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Need more doctors on my side of town. The clinic name speaks to the fact that bringing fertility to couples is the main goal. After, becoming pregnant, there were many available doctors to help with.y concerns. I am grateful to all the nursing staff and doctors.
She took her time with me. Ther eas no rushing or emphasis on the negatives concerning age, medical history, etc. She was excited with me during the whole process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Very informative in follow up care.
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schenk listened to how i wanted to be treated as a patient. She was very gentle with my body throughout all the procedures. I cant be more thankful for the bedside manner she displayed. I have referred others to her because of this.
Tell her from the beginning exactly how you want to be treated. Let her know that you dont want to focus on negative statistics and to always be honest, but caring at the same time.
Thorough hormone testing, counseling on procedures, egg retrieval, embryo freezing, pgs testing, explaining embryo quality, letting us cboose embryo, transfer.
Dr. Schenl let us choose the embryo and explained AB,BB, etc so we could make the decision.
Webster
[Houston Fert Specialists] Well organized and easy to contact with. Very clean place and warm ambient. Lab people is very nice as well as the Finance department...All the [nursing] team is just great; always accessible, always warm and helpful. Very professional too. Perfect team. Special mention for Alicia Jasso that was always my angel in the process....IUI around 1,000$ IVF around 12,000$...[Dr. Erik Mazur] He was always direct but nice. Very professional but explaining everything in a way I could understand.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
He treatment like a human; always patient, nice and warm
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Alicia Jasso)
All the team is just great; always accessible, always warm and helpful. Very professional too. Perfect team. Special mention for Alicia Jasso that was always my angel in the process.
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He was always direct but nice. Very professional but explaining everything in a way I could understand. I really trust him and I have a gorgeous girl as a result of the treatments. He was always available for questions or concerns.
Do not be shy and talk to him about everything that concerns you!
IUI were done with clomid and donor sperm First IVF was done as part or an pharma study. Gonal and Ovidrel for trigger. A baby girl was the result Second IVF failed. Gonal, Menopur, Garelins and Ovidrel were used.
IUI around 1,000$ IVF around 12,000$
He suggested that for the second IVF but there were a small number of eggs so we decided to not to do it finally
Houston
The two clinics I've been to both have terrible front desks, so my guess is that's the norm. The financial staff [at Houston Fertility Specialists] was amazing and the nurses were sweet, but not able to spend a lot of time with me...My insurance covered the IUI's and IVF up to 5000, the rest was out of pocket but more affordable than the previous clinic . Our next round will be cash and the transfer was approximately 2600 as quoted about 6 months ago. The ultrasounds etc were not included in that price .
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The two clinics I've been to both have terrible front desks, so my guess is that's the norm. The financial staff was amazing and the nurses were sweet, but not able to spend a lot of time with me
Took time with us each visit , great bedside manner
Most were sweet, they are a busy office so weren't able to spend a lot of time with me, but still nice.
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He is young but more open to look at things differently , compassionate , he did all of the procedures and ultrasounds which I thought was great.
He knows what he's talking about, be patient .
He wanted what was best for us and least invasive as possible
Houston
Everyone is really nice and decent. The staff [Houston Fertility Specialists] has gone out of their call of duty to help us. The nursing staff all are nice and are all team players. Jackie is one person that made the process very smooth for us...On the second full cycle another nurse at the Katy clinic gave me the wrong dosage and I was told this during the second scan. The cycle was canceled and pushed back... Jackie was always available during the first cycle. Connie also was available for weekend scans. Great team of ladies....
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Everyone is really nice and decent. The staff has gone out of their call of duty to help us. The nursing staff all are nice and are all team players. Jackie is one person that made the process very smooth for us.
From day one Dr Mazur and nurse Jackie treated us very well. Everything we needed to know was explained in detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
How was your experience with Erik Mazur at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr.Mazur was very understanding of our situation. He is the reason why we have our son today. I recommend him to anyone who is wanting to start or add to their family. Nurse Jackie as well very friendly and always available.
You are in good hands with him.
Lupron GonalF 900 iu ceteride overdriel microdose overdriel
All was taken cared of and well worth it.
We transferred two at a time one fresh and two FET transfers.
2005 - 2012
Great lab facility. It's a big practice [Houston Fertility Specialists]. I know others have not liked their Dr at the same practice as much as I liked mine. Overall, I have no complaints about the practice. It's in the same building as my obgyn so it was extremely convenient for me.... She [Dr. Schenk] did not nickel and dime us for everything. I always trusted her. She greatly considered all options before suggesting a course of treatment. We always felt safe with her.
2005 - 2012
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Great lab facility. It's a big practice. I know others have not liked their Dr at the same practice as much as I liked mine. Overall, I have no complaints about the practice. It's in the same building as my obgyn so it was extremely convenient for me.
Kind and thoughtful
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
She thinks before she reacts. She calmly lays out options. She takes her time with patients. I never felt rushed and always had the answers I needed. She also is sympathetic towards the financial pain and stress this causes. She did not nickel and dime us for everything. I always trusted her. She greatly considered all options before suggesting a course of treatment. We always felt safe with her. I have recommended her to others and they have been happy. I would use her again if I needed to do IVF.
Trust her. She has a more reserved demeanor than others but she is fantastic.
I don't remember. It's been 13 years.
Reasonable compared to other clinics
2008 - 2012
[Houston Fertility Specialists has] 2 locations in sugarland and Houston which was convenient for my work schedule. Their facilities were clean and comfortable. They had early morning and lunch hours for blood work and other check ins... Dr Dunn was conservative in his approach to embryo transfer. He recommended fewer embryos for the transfer but also discussed this with us and let us make the final decision.
2008 - 2012
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The whole process was very personal. Everyone in the clinic knew my name. Dr Dunn spent a lot of time with us.
How was your experience with Randall Dunn at Houston Fertility Specialists?
He is an awesome Dr. he was so knowledgeable and very compassionate. He has a great bedside manor: He was very thorough in reviewing the information and test results with us. He performed all of my procedures and was actively involved in my journey.
Dr Dunn understands infertility is a sensitive subject with patients and treats them with compassion..
The only thing I remember is that he wanted to test for endometriosis first before starting fertility treatments
My insurance covered most of the cost of treatment and medicine.