7.3

16545 SW Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77479
713.465.1211

Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr James Nodler is attentive, caring and kind.... My egg retrieval, fertilization and blastocyst results improved with Dr Nodler. I believe that this is the result of the protocol that Dr Nodler put me on. I transferred 2 PGS embryos, and both failed to implant. In the follow up, there were no explanations of why, just many possibilities. He suggested that I do an ERA (which I am doing) or use a gestational carrier. I am hoping for a more conservation solution.
The strengths are the doctors and their affiliation with CCRM. In every appointment in which I saw Dr Nodler he asked if I had any questions. At that point, I could ask any question I had, whether it had to do with this particular appointment or something else. Procedures are performed by any doctor within the practice. Initially I was concerned about this, but it wasn't an issue at all. The weaknesses are the on call staff, billing department and their fees which are higher than other clinics.
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Let Dr Nodler make his recommendations and follow them. He is the expert, not us.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr James Nodler is attentive, caring and kind.
Describe the protocols James Nodler used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
For simulations, Dr Nodler used the antagonist protocol. It worked well. I do not know why he chose that particular protocol. Our main issue is male factor resulting from Robertsonian Translocation 13/14. He recommended CCS to screen all 46 chromosomes for abnormalities.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amelia Silva)
My primary nurse Amelia was great and responsive, when she was in the office. When she was out of the office, it was difficult to get a response, or I got no response at all. The on call nursing staff needs to improve their communication style with the patients. They are timely in their response times; however, there responses can be short and seemingly irritated. And if you miss their call, or have a follow up question, they get upset. Since cost of treatment is out of pocket, many patients will attempt to get some procedures covered by their insurance. The billing department is very slow to respond and requires multiple follow ups to get required information.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Egg retrieval, PGS (7 embryos), FET (1 time) = $21,000 ERA= $2,350
Describe James Nodler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Due to my history of failed SET of PGS embryos, I requested to transfer 2 and he did. But he recommended I do one. I wish I had listened to him.
What specific things went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
On weekends and holidays, you have to go to their main location in Memorial City which is 30 miles from my home (60 round-trip). I had an appointment at 7:30 am on Dec 26. I paid higher fees to fly home from my family holiday on Dec 25 to make this appointment, but the office was closed. I waited there for 2 hours before the on call nurse told me they were closed.
James Nodler

Treated 2016
She's [Dr. Katherine McKnight] kind, compassionate and yet self assured and breeds confidence. You can sense she has the experience. She is also a bit more conservative, which I appreciate...IVF with chromosomal screening (because of multiple pregnancy losses likely due to chromosomal abnormalities). Transfer one tested embryo TK reduce risk of twins...My nurse was probably one of the better ones. The others are really ditzy and it's frustrating to interact with them. I also wish there was a 24 hr nurse's help like. Maybe that's asking too much. But when you are going through such an expensive procedure and learning to use expensive injectable meds for the first time, it would be important to have someone available to help even at 9 pm.
Their support staff [at Houston IVF] is largely sub par. There is one standout - shilpa! She's smart and sweet but relatively junior. The insurance/billing Dept is a joke. Unresponsive and unhelpful. The medicine calendar instructions are ridiculously antiquated and complicated. Can they not create something digital?? That would automatically update as you go?...It feels a bit like an IVF factory. And the schedules of medications, appts etc are typically made to accommodate the doctor's work week.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She's kind, compassionate and yet self assured and breeds confidence. You can sense she has the experience. She is also a bit more conservative, which I appreciate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. McKnight herself is incredibly kind, and has been in every interaction no matter how short or long. She lets me ask my myriad questions even when I come in for a simple ultrasound check. That said, I'm always one of a dozen in the waiting room and lab waiting to get our morning screenings. It feels a bit like an IVF factory. And the schedules of medications, appts etc are typically made to accommodate the doctor's work week.
Describe the protocols Katherine McKnight used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Their support staff is largely sub par. There is one standout - shilpa! She's smart and sweet but relatively junior. The insurance/billing Dept is a joke. Unresponsive and unhelpful. The medicine calendar instructions are ridiculously antiquated and complicated. Can they not create something digital?? That would automatically update as you go?
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
$15-20K for IVF with chromosomal screening
Katherine McKnight

Treated 2015
Dr. McKenzie was sensitive. Appreciated the call giving me an update on my embryos. Wish they were more open to alternative technologies/methodologies. Appreciate their optimism.
Well oiled machine early morning hours, which was good so you could get in and out and to work timely. The staff is friendly. My nurse seems like she can't be bothered though.
How was your experience with Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
I think I covered this in a prior question. She's nice, sensitive and optimistic. Also realistic. Appreciate her insight. She didn't seem to be a fan of alternative treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Ask for a good nurse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
The staff is friendly. My nurse seems like she can't be bothered though. Docs are sensitive. Appreciated the call giving me an update on my embryos. Wish they were more open to alternative technologies/methodologies. Appreciate their optimism.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Most of the staff is nice and upbeat. Really liked the ladies who take ur blood as odd as that sounds. My nurse however seemed like she couldn't be bothered when I ask questions. She wasn't forthcoming with information which made me have to postpone a cycle.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
What specific things went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I discussed changing the protocol with the doc after the last failed cycle to include estrogen priming. I knew from reading this would require some lead time. I wasn't sure how much so I emailed the nurse a couple weeks before my CD1, when I was hoping to begin my cycle. She blew it off. Said they do several estrogen priming cycles but doc was on vacation and that I should contact her on CD1. I emailed her on the Friday before my CD1 expecting it to be Sunday. She said estrogen priming was a whole month! Way more than k had thought or planned. My job requires travel, etc so I try to plan IVF around it. Then my CD1 ended up being on a Saturday. So Monday I let her know and she says I should start meds that day. However I was traveling. I looked up a pharmacy where I was & sent her the address but I forgot to send her the phone number. I couldn't look it up in time and she didn't offer. I ended up postponing. Probably not the biggest deal but I think her attitude is what frustrates me some too. In fairness, it would have helped if the doc had told her what we discussed and I could have also thought to ask that question when we had the consultation.
Laurie McKenzie

Treated 2012
She [Dr. Laurie McKenzie] was perfectly fine. I did not feel she was exceptional. I saw her only a handful of times in the entire time I was her patient. However, her treatment resulted in a successful pregnancy, so I have no complaints.... I rarely saw the doctor herself and liaised mostly with nursing staff (who were great). In their defense, I did not request any special interaction, but was surprised to hear from other patients that they had regular contact with the doctor. In retrospect, I would have requested to speak with her more and feel more like a patient, rather than just a client.
It [CCRM Housont/Houston IVF] was a very professional, well-managed clinic. I would advise new patients to leverage the mental health services provided through the clinic. The weakness was the price. For the price I expected more individualized attention.... e received a "hardship" rate. If I remember correctly, the total, including medications was around $17,000.
How was your experience with Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She was perfectly fine. I did not feel she was exceptional. I saw her only a handful of times in the entire time I was her patient. However, her treatment resulted in a successful pregnancy, so I have no complaints.
Be your own advocate and make your voice heard!
I received the care I hoped to receive, in that our treatment ended with a successful, viable pregnancy. However, I rarely saw the doctor herself and liaised mostly with nursing staff (who were great). In their defense, I did not request any special interaction, but was surprised to hear from other patients that they had regular contact with the doctor. In retrospect, I would have requested to speak with her more and feel more like a patient, rather than just a client.
Describe the protocols Laurie McKenzie used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
As a patient with unexplained infertility, we tried cycles of clomid, followed by IUI. After unsuccessful IUI attempts, we tried IVF with a fresh, 5 day transfer. We were successful!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Overall, they were professional, compassionate and kind.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
It was a very professional, well-managed clinic. I would advise new patients to leverage the mental health services provided through the clinic. The weakness was the price. For the price I expected more individualized attention.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
We received a "hardship" rate. If I remember correctly, the total, including medications was around $17,000.
Describe Laurie McKenzie's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
She explained the difference well. We felt we were informed and prepared for the risks of the procedure we chose.
Laurie McKenzie