7.3

16545 SW Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77479
713.465.1211

Treated 2017 - 2018
I've found Dr. Nodler is always happy to provide more information or explain his thought process...I have a high AMH and was prescribed clomid only (no injectables). Monitoring was overseen by Dr. Nodler, but the actual IUI was performed by the nurses...smart, kind and strikes the right balance of setting realistic expectations but also providing hope. He has good attention to detail and really seems to care about his patients' outcomes. I like that he practices evidence based medicine, but this means his protocols/approach may sometimes feel less holistic (not a lot of time spent discussing supplements and other TBD ART supports)
I have interacted with all 4 REIs [at and believe they are all very skilled and up-to-date physicians who care about their patients... I had better than expected outcomes (100% fertilization of mature eggs 13/13 and good blastocyst rate 9/13, 70%). I wish they paid as much detail to patients' IUI cycles as they do IVF, but understand that IUI is a much less controlled and lower cost procedure, so it makes sense that IVF cycles are prioritized. That said, if someone's goal is to conceive via IUI and to really avoid moving on to IVF, this may not be the clinic for you.
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. Nodler is smart, kind and strikes the right balance of setting realistic expectations but also providing hope. He has good attention to detail and really seems to care about his patients' outcomes. I like that he practices evidence based medicine, but this means his protocols/approach may sometimes feel less holistic (not a lot of time spent discussing supplements and other TBD ART supports). I thankfully haven't had any major disappointments to date, so can't comment on how he might adjust/personalize protocols in the event of disappointing outcomes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Ask questions and share any concerns you have- I've found Dr. Nodler is always happy to provide more information or explain his thought process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. Nodler and his nursing staff (Amelia and Erin) have all been warm, available and encouraging to date. I like to know exactly what's going on at each step of the process and they always seem happy to answer my questions. I am also prone to negativity and Dr. Nodler and Amelia have been so kind- they are realistic but offer regular reassurance where it is due.
Describe the protocols James Nodler used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
IUI was really managed by the nurses. I have a high AMH and was prescribed clomid only (no injectables). Monitoring was overseen by Dr. Nodler, but the actual IUI was performed by the nurses. I had a different nurse each time, and no specific point person if I had questions during the cycle (just had to call the nurse line). I didn't feel like IUI cycles were a priority for this clinic. My experience was totally different once we moved on to IVF. IVF patients are assigned a specific nurse and this makes communication much easier. Monitoring ultrasounds were done by Dr. Nolder (or the REI covering for him if he was not available). I was prescribed gonal-f (150), menopur (150) and cetrotide. I responded well to meds and my protocol did not need to be adjusted. I did a dual trigger with lurpon to avoid OHSS. We did ICSI as that is standard for my clinic (and as we used frozen donor sperm). We retrieved 16 eggs, 13 mature, 13 fertilized, 9 day 5/6 blasts, 4/9 normal CCS/PGS results. Recovery from the egg retrieval was easy and fast. Our first FET cycle is currently in process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amelia)
Amelia is smart and responsive. I do think she is a very busy person, and I sometimes felt bad asking extra questions, but she always responded to me same day. I found emailing her was sometimes easier than playing phone tag.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Houston IVF/ CCRM-Houston may be a bit more expensive than other clinics in the area but I think it is worth the costs. I have interacted with all 4 REIs and believe they are all very skilled and up-to-date physicians who care about their patients. I also think the lab is superior to many other clinics in Houston. I had better than expected outcomes (100% fertilization of mature eggs 13/13 and good blastocyst rate 9/13, 70%). I wish they paid as much detail to patients' IUI cycles as they do IVF, but understand that IUI is a much less controlled and lower cost procedure, so it makes sense that IVF cycles are prioritized. That said, if someone's goal is to conceive via IUI and to really avoid moving on to IVF, this may not be the clinic for you. To summarize: smart and personable REIs and nurses, a great lab and a comfortable and convenient physical space (I used both the med center and memorial city locations).
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
IUI: $1,300 per cycle (including all monitoring) IVF (PGS with FET): $20,630 (included all monitoring, CCS/PGS and first FET), NOT including medications
Describe James Nodler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I personally feel very strongly about eSET and Dr. Nolder was aware of this from the beginning so multiple embryo transfer was never a conversation we had. I do believe this clinic does more multiple embryo transfers than is ideal because they are quick to honor patient wishes and I think many patients ask for multiple embryo transfer.
Treated 2019 - 2020
[Dr. Nodler] took time to explain things both before and during procedures. I always felt I had time to ask questions...Ended up with six normal embryos, so only had a single retrieval cycle...Responded well, transferred one, and now pregnant with a singleton...Detailed, thorough and direct in his explanations. Presented a clear point of view on different treatment options, which really helped cut through the noise and confusion. I always felt like we had a defined direction and were moving forward.
Senae [nurse at CCRM Houston] was great throughout! Always promptly returned phone calls and emails and was knowledgeable on the various questions throughout the process...don’t recall ever having to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to be seen. The Memorial City location, where weekend appointments are held, is more busy on those weekends, so you might have to wait slightly longer for blood draws.
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Like with any RE, come to the consultation prepared with questions.
Dr. Nodler took time to explain things both before and during procedures. I always felt I had time to ask questions.
Antagonist protocol with combo trigger. I think this is relatively standard for a first cycle and mild PCOS. I responded well to the meds, so was able to stay at the starting gonal f and menopur doses throughout stimming. We did ICSI as we wanted genetic testing and the lab required ICSI to do CCS testing. Ended up with six normal embryos, so only had a single retrieval cycle. FET protocol included birth control, estrogen patches, Lupron, and progesterone suppositories and shots. Responded well, transferred one, and now pregnant with a singleton.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Senae )
Senae was great throughout! Always promptly returned phone calls and emails and was knowledgeable on the various questions throughout the process.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Everything runs pretty smoothly at the Fannin office. Never a crowd in the waiting room. I was always in and out very quickly. Procedures are at the Memorial City location. Nurses who assist with procedures make you feel in good hands. Doctors are accessible and my assigned nurse kept me organized and on track. We didn’t interact much with the financial office, so can’t speak to that. Overall, very pleased with our care.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Usually there were only one or two others in the waiting room in the Fannin location for blood draws and ultrasounds. I don’t recall ever having to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to be seen. The Memorial City location, where weekend appointments are held, is more busy on those weekends, so you might have to wait slightly longer for blood draws. Still, those appointments were always very fast and efficient.
We tested our embryos and wanted to transfer one. This was my doctor’s preference as well, so no real discussion was had.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
One time my prescription was not promptly called in, but was fixed as soon as I realized the pharmacy hadn’t received it.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Microdose Lupron protocol [with Dr. Nodler] - no embryos to freeze. Immediately followed by antagonist protocol with 3 Pgs tested embryos to freeze. Had 3 failed fets. 2 eras and a receptiva test...It would have been nice to hear from my doc personally after retrievals, transfers etc as a check in...he isn’t willing to implement interventions that aren’t well studied or proven...was always Courteous and friendly. He took the time to listen and gave thoughtful responses to all our queries...We didn’t have success with Dr Nodler but we would recommend him 10/10.
the clinic [CCRM Houston/Houston IVF] didn’t pester you for money...You are made to feel valued as a patient as opposed to a number. This doesn’t have a factory feel to it...Microdose Lupron protocol - no embryos to freeze. Immediately followed by antagonist protocol with 3 Pgs tested embryos to freeze. Had 3 failed fets. 2 eras and a receptiva test...Very compassionate nurses. Not as organized as other clinics. Primarily work over email as opposed to the web based applications other clinics have. Very, very, very nice nurses but not as organized as I would like
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
We didn’t have success with Dr Nodler but we would recommend him 10/10. He is intelligent, up to date, and runs a very strict evidence based practice. He definitely does not treat you like a Guinea pig. That being said, he isn’t willing to implement interventions that aren’t well studied or proven... but I definitely prefer this science based approach to the experimental (and frankly, cavalier) approach seen at many other area clinics
I would follow his recommendations. He is well aware of the data and will guide you accordingly. If you are wanting something experimental or way outside the normal confines of ivf treatment, I would suggest going elsewhere. In Houston- he is definitely the doc I recommend
Dr Nodler was always Courteous and friendly. He took the time to listen and gave thoughtful responses to all our queries
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
You get to see dr nodler daily if you go to the Med center location. They do not haggle you for money though the finance dept is that organized. You are made to feel valued as a patient as opposed to a number. This doesn’t have a factory feel to it
I went in the afternoon Bc if my work schedule. The clinic was very accommodating with this
Don’t remember but the clinic didn’t pester you for money
Yes. Dr nodler subscribes fo eSet which I think is the right thing to do.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I had one botched era due to “too large sample”. That was an honest mistake and I do not blame the clinic at all. It would have been nice to hear from my doc personally after retrievals, transfers etc as a check in
Houston - Gessner
Dr. McKnight did the screening on our third donor and approved - she monitored her cycle (out of state) and did her egg retrieval (23 eggs!). She then did the ICSI and we had 13 viable embryos (12 PGS tested and 1 we fresh transferred)...I was given plenty of information to make the decision to transfer either 1 or 2 embryos...always listened to my concerns and was supportive, even when giving me difficult news. I always felt like I was her only patient. She would spend as much time with me as needed and answered emails promptly.
[Houston IVF has] multiple locations, but we chose the one furthest from us (1.5 hours) because I wanted to work specifically with Dr. McKnight. Wait time was always brief, there was easy parking, and the staff is very friendly...Dr. McKnight helped us to pivot to use a donor to help us concieve. Dr. McKnight helped us choose the right donor for us and performed the retrieval for our donor. She also did the FET that resulted in our current pregnancy (38 weeks and all looks good). This process is tough, but it was easier having Dr. McKnight in our corner. There is no other doctor I trust more than Dr. McKnight.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
We did our third round of IVF with my own eggs with her - she had modified the protocol from a previous RE. From those outcomes, Dr. McKnight helped us to pivot to use a donor to help us concieve. Dr. McKnight helped us choose the right donor for us and performed the retrieval for our donor. She also did the FET that resulted in our current pregnancy (38 weeks and all looks good). This process is tough, but it was easier having Dr. McKnight in our corner. There is no other doctor I trust more than Dr. McKnight.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
If you are on the fence of using Dr. Mcknight or using a less expensive clinic, I would recommend going straight to Dr. McKnight. We wasted time and money at a less expensive clinic - it just led to heartache and 4 long years of trying to concieve. Pick and use the best first, don't make the same mistake I did. Also, you'll love Dr. McKnight!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. McKnight always listened to my concerns and was supportive, even when giving me difficult news. I always felt like I was her only patient. She would spend as much time with me as needed and answered emails promptly.
Describe the protocols Katherine McKnight used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
Prior to coming to Dr. McKnight I had two IVF cycles that both resulted in plenty of eggs and 1-2 low quality embryos. She tried one more round with my own eggs with a day 3 transfer to minimize time in a test tube as this can negatively affect some embryos. We did not get pregnant with this third round of IVF and she helped me emotionally make the shift to trying using donor eggs (as she had diagnosed me with poor egg quality - a diagnosis only given after many failed IVF attempts). Dr. McKnight did the medical screening for one of our donors and found her to be of low ovarian reserve and recommended we did not use her - we followed her advice. Our next donor had a cycle before us that resulted in plenty of eggs but none that turned into viable embryos - she once again recommended we look to find a different donor. Dr. McKnight did the screening on our third donor and approved - she monitored her cycle (out of state) and did her egg retrieval (23 eggs!). She then did the ICSI and we had 13 viable embryos (12 PGS tested and 1 we fresh transferred). A partner in the clinic transferred our first embryo (fresh transfer) which resulted in a pregnancy that ended in miscarriage just shy of 10 weeks; it was determined to be a chromosomal abnormality that could not be found through PGS testing. Dr. McKnight did our second transfer, we are currently 38 weeks pregnant and healthy as can be.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
We chose this clinic becuse they have the best success rates in the greater Houston Area. They have multiple locations, but we chose the one furthest from us (1.5 hours) because I wanted to work specifically with Dr. McKnight. Wait time was always brief, there was easy parking, and the staff is very friendly.
Describe Katherine McKnight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Houston - Gessner
Go in with all your questions. She [Dr. McKnight] will take the time to answer all of them. Don’t be worried if you’re ignorant to the IVF process or expectations. She takes the time to go over everything, step by step...Due to my endometriosis, I am currently going through medically induced menopause for six months in order to “calm everything down” before I have a second surgery to remove “bad” tissue and create a healthy environment for IVF.
Total IVF Cost with ICSI [at CCRM Houston] : $13847.00 Medication range: $4,000- $7,000... They give you everything you need and allow you to process information, medically and financially. All staff has been attentive and take the time to answer all question you have. They are a large clinic, so they do get busy in the mornings getting patients in and out. But when you are in the office, they take the time you need to focus on you!
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
So far, Dr. McKnight has been not only a doctor, but a part of the family. She understands she is a huge part of our life right now and embraces it. She answers all questions posed to her when we meet with her and continues to answer questions I have going through the current process we are in. Due to severe endometriosis, we decided I would go on Lupron for the next six months prior to having a second surgery to remove cyst tissue and endometriosis tissue before we start IVF. We are anxiously awakening the six month to be over and she has checked in on me and us throughout the process! It’s comforting knowing she is still in this with us, even though we are in a holding pattern.
Go in with all your questions. She will take the time to answer all of them. Don’t be worried if you’re ignorant to the IVF process or expectations. She takes the time to go over everything, step by step.
She completely explained, in normal language, the process we were about to start. Answered all of our questions, and then some. We laughed and cried with her and walk out of her office with nothing but positive and loving thoughts and feelings about her.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Always attentive and have a smile! Return phone calls within the same day or immediately the next day. They will spend as much time with you as you need.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Overall, we have had a great experience. They give you everything you need and allow you to process information, medically and financially. All staff has been attentive and take the time to answer all question you have. They are a large clinic, so they do get busy in the mornings getting patients in and out. But when you are in the office, they take the time you need to focus on you!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Total IVF Cost with ICSI: $13847.00 Medication range: $4,000- $7,000
We have not got to that point yet but we have asked, she strictly leaves it up to you and your partner but reminds you of risks to babies and yourself with multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
One of my first steps was checking my ovary count. They initially told me my results would be posted in their portal. After not seeing the results I spoke with one of the nurses and it was immediate posted on the portal!
Treated 2014 - 2018
I never felt rushed. Even one time I told Dr. Hickman in the hallway "I know you are so busy, but what do you think about _______" and he responded so kindly, looked me in the eye, and said to not ever feel like I can't ask him questions or like he is rushed.... Dr. Hickman was always calm and made me feel like I was in the best hands possible. He took time to answer my questions and was just so friendly and caring. My journey started in 2014 and after 3 IUIs, I became pregnant on the 3rd try, leading to a healthy baby boy.
This clinic [CCRM Houston] itself is gorgeous. You have views of i-10 and it is incredibly clean and welcoming. It was always easy to schedule appointments and to go in same day or next day. They are open 365 days a year (or maybe 364), so there is no need to worry about your IUI day landing on a weekend. They were even open every day during hurricane Harvey, when much of the city was closed down.... Sarah was always quick to call me back (I usually had to wait less than an hour to hear from her) and I called her A LOT.
How was your experience with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. Hickman was always calm and made me feel like I was in the best hands possible. He took time to answer my questions and was just so friendly and caring. My journey started in 2014 and after 3 IUIs, I became pregnant on the 3rd try, leading to a healthy baby boy. We decided to try again in 2017 and found out I had borderline underactive thyroid, so he prescribed Synthroid. I got pregnant my first IUI but miscarried at 8 weeks. During the miscarriage, I had to see Dr. Hickman a lot and he never made me feel rushed and he remained positive but sympathetic at the same time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Make an appointment NOW- do not wait! Just take the leap of faith now.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
I never felt rushed. Even one time I told Dr. Hickman in the hallway "I know you are so busy, but what do you think about _______" and he responded so kindly, looked me in the eye, and said to not ever feel like I can't ask him questions or like he is rushed. His nurses are also so empathetic and caring.
Describe the protocols Timothy Hickman used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
For my first time around, the plan was 3 iuis with Clomid and ovidrel and then we would reconvene after and discuss the next step (possibly ivf). I got pregnant on the 3rd IUI. For my next pregnancy, blood work showed that I had high TSH so I was put on Synthroid. Since I had a successful IUI last time, Dr. Hickman was confident it would work again. I got pregnant my very first IUI with clomid and ovidrel, but miscarried. Now I am waiting a couple of cycles by my own personal choice to start trying again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: sarah)
Although Sarah was my primary nurse, I can say that every single person I worked with left a lasting positive impact. Sarah was always quick to call me back (I usually had to wait less than an hour to hear from her) and I called her A LOT. She never made me feel bad or silly for my questions, but instead left me feeling validated and in good hands. When I miscarried, I worked a lot with another nurse. I wish I remembered her name. She was so, so caring and warm. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about her kindness and empathy.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
This clinic itself is gorgeous. You have views of i-10 and it is incredibly clean and welcoming. It was always easy to schedule appointments and to go in same day or next day. They are open 365 days a year (or maybe 364), so there is no need to worry about your IUI day landing on a weekend. They were even open every day during hurricane Harvey, when much of the city was closed down. I really don't see any weaknesses and believe Houston IVF is the best of the best. I will always be so grateful for them. We even took my son to meet the doctor and nurses that helped create him!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Each IUI was 1300. The hysterocopy I had to have with him was $200.
Treated 2016 - 2018
[With Dr. James Nodler] We first did our blood work and scans and I had a minor septum so we did surgery on that. We then started with 3 IUIs using Letrozole, which didn’t worked. My insurance covered three which is why we did 3 but that is also normal protocol. We then moved to IVF using Menopur and Follistim. Our goal was a fresh cycle but I had over stimulation so we froze the eggs, 4. 3 tested normal during PGS and one was unknown.
Houston IVF can be big so I recommend the med center location. They have great resources so use them all - therapy, acupuncture, etc. You do have to go to the memorial city location for all big procedures.... I was scheduled to do our egg retrieval starting in November and once my period finally started I was told the lab would be closed for cleaning in December so we had to wait a cycle.
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. Nodler is really knowledgeable and really nice. Sometimes, though, I felt like he wasn’t putting the research into our case. It was “unexplained infertility” and move to IVF instead of figuring out the cause of our infertility that could maybe be fixed by diet, supplements, or lifestyle changes. He has been great though, especially since the many failures and setbacks we have had, even calling me personally after we lost our baby at 10 weeks to unknown issues.
Ask lots of questions and request all the details.
What is great about Dr. Nodler is that he is at the Houston IVF Med center location so it is more intimate, he does his own ultrasounds, and knows who you are. The Memorial City location is big and you can feel like a number over there.
We first did our blood work and scans and I had a minor septum so we did surgery on that. We then started with 3 IUIs using Letrozole, which didn’t worked. My insurance covered three which is why we did 3 but that is also normal protocol. We then moved to IVF using Menopur and Follistim. Our goal was a fresh cycle but I had over stimulation so we froze the eggs, 4. 3 tested normal during PGS and one was unknown. We then did a FET once my body got back to normal. FET 1 worked but at 10 weeks we had to terminate due to the growth of the organs outside the fetus body. It was never determined if that was genetic related. Have a long recovery from the D&C we did FET 2 which ended in a chemical pregnancy at 6 weeks. Currently waiting to start FET 3. All FETs have been the same protocol: 3 weeks birth control, lupron, estrogen patches, PIO, and progesterone suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amelia Silva)
Amelia is amazing. She returns all my calls timely and understands exactly what we are going through and is alway willing to help us out with scheduling issues or getting meds ordered timely.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
IUIs, labs, egg retrieval and FET 1 were covered by insurance so I paid 20% until my $500 deductible. FET 2 was $4,500.
I wanted to transfer 2 the first time but he wanted one as it is statistically better and safer. It didn’t work. For the 2nd FET I again pushed for two but he wanted one so we did one. We now have two embryos left so we are finally transferring two during FET 3.
Treated 2017 - 2018
[CCRM Houston is] Very clean and professional. A huge benefit is that they take early appointments, at 7 or 7:30 (I can’t remember the earliest), so I wasn’t really late going to work. They also do a great job of getting you in and out quickly on the days of just blood work or ultrasounds. The waiting room is comfortable and all staff are very welcoming.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She was upfront in her communication, but also extremely encouraging and sympathetic. IVF is trying and emotional, and she was very supportive and uplifting throughout the process. We had 2 miscarriages and we just delivered a healthy baby boy a month ago!
Write down your questions ahead of time, as you’ll likely forget them at the appointments.
She really cared about us and met with us to answer all questions, before IVF, as well as after each failed attempt to determine our next course of action. She was amazing!
My husband had a vasectomy years ago and recently had it reversed. The reversal was successful, in that there was sperm flow, it just wasn’t as strong as we had hoped. Since I was mid-30s and my husband in his mid-40s, we wanted to get pregnant quickly. Dr. McKnight reviewed our tests and recommended IVF as our best course of action. We discussed doing IUI as well, as it is less invasive and less expensive; Dr. McKnight was supportive of us trying IUI as well, but we ultimately went with IVF as the success rates are much higher and we didn’t want to waste any time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Judy Gerow)
The nursing staff was fantastic. Over the course of our three IVF cycles, I became close with several of the nurses there, and even emailed my nurse with questions during my pregnancy, after we had technically graduated from the IVF clinic.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I honestly don’t remember the exact numbers; my insurance covers IVF up to a lifetime max of $25 M.
We discussed transferring either 1 or 2 embryos each cycle; given my age and health, Dr. McKnight would only transfer a maximum of 2 embryos each cycle, but left it up to us if we wanted to implant 1 or 2.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
My doctor, Dr. McKnight, was out of the office during my first embryo implant. We had decided on 2 embryos, along with Dr. McKnight’s recommendation - but right before the implant, the doctor performing the procedure wrote up everything for only 1 embryo. When we pointed out the error, he came in to try to talk us into only transferring 1, in order to avoid a higher risk of multiples. In the end, he allowed us to transfer 2 as planned.
Treated 2017 - 2018
She [Dr. McKnight] did do my FET, which I appreciated. But she was not the one that called me with the negative news. My preference is for my doctor to communicate with me at all big milestones. It feels as if she may be too busy and delegates all communication to the nurse...When I do talk to her, she is warm and encouraging. But she has missed a few key communication steps with me. And one time I felt like she got impatient with all of my questions.
I was seeking a second opinion on a genetic mutation. It took 4 different tries to get my chart provided to the other clinic [from CCRM Houston]...You were in and out quickly [for monitoring]. Very organized...Strength: easy to get appointments, always get a call back that same day with results and answers...Negative: can sometimes feel like a number. Not all nurses are that professional.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
For the most part, I like Dr. McKnight. When I do talk to her, she is warm and encouraging. But she has missed a few key communication steps with me. And one time I felt like she got impatient with all of my questions.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. From the first appointment, tell her your communication preferences.
I appreciated that Dr. McKnight would be the one to do all of my scans during IVF, but she did not do my retrieval because of the day I was ready (there are 4 doctors in the clinic and they rotate days). I would have hoped she would have made a personal communication with me after the results of my retrieval were known, but she did not. She did do my FET, which I appreciated. But she was not the one that called me with the negative news. My preference is for my doctor to communicate with me at all big milestones. It feels as if she may be too busy and delegates all communication to the nurse.
Standard IUI: first cycle on chlomid but switched to femara when my lining did not thicken up. For egg retrieval: 225 IUs of tonal-F daily, 2 menopur daily, Lupron, and HCG. For FET: estrogen patches, PIO injections, and progesterone suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Davis and Judy Geroux)
Sarah Davis was pretty good for our IUI treatment. The only negative was she would go on vacation a lot and never tell us. Sometimes she would be gone on really important days like trigger day. It would be nice to know in advance if we will be talking to someone different. Judy Geroux was did not meet my satisfaction during IVF. She was very informative and responsive, but not very friendly. Sometimes she would talking down to me when I asked questions. And she was not compassionate at all when delivering our negative FET results.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Strength: easy to get appointments, always get a call back that same day with results and answers. Organized. They have their process down. Love the flembologists. Negative: can sometimes feel like a number. Not all nurses are that professional.
All were done in the morning. You were in and out quickly. Very organized.
Insurance covered a lot of it. I had all diagnostics covered, all IUIs covered, and $5k towards IVF. I paid out of pocket for PGS and medications. But for my future FETs, it will all be out of pocket.
We had 3, 5AA embryos that are genetically normal. I had a history of good lining response. Doctor gave us a 70% chance with just one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Once I was seeking a second opinion on a genetic mutation. It took 4 different tries to get my chart provided to the other clinic.
Houston - Gessner
Dr. Hickman seemed to be very knowledgeable and sensitive at the same time. He explained our options without imposing an specific course of treatment. He also detailed his rationale for each treatment option and let us free to decide which and when. I feel pretty confident I found the right doctor for me and may return if needed in the future.
The clinic is a peaceful environment. It seems to be a lack of coordination regarding lab results and it's a little complicated to access your your information (currently there are 2 portals, not very clear or integrated). Staff has been partially helpful with orientation, and financial office is a mess. ... For the IVF I had a different nurse, much nicer. She was a great communicator, even though she seemed a bit disorganized at times. In my first round, I was very overwhelmed by the medication administration and feel that even though she tried to explain them in a simple way, it was all gibberish for me and I did not feel she could get how hard that was. At that time, it made me feel they did not care about me as a person, only my bloodwork numbers.
Trust his experience.
Before consulting Dr. Hickman I had many biases against using reproductive assisted technology and had experienced patronizing behavior from other medical doctors which I disliked. Dr. Hickman treated us with respect and explained his hypothesis in clear terms, in a humble manner and with regard for our concerns.
Because ours was a case of "unexplained infertility", Dr. Hickman strategy was to begin from the less invasive procedures and gradually move towards the more complex procedures. Both me and my husband have been tested and already identified a slight but important alteration in my thyroid which I already begun treating. After assuring that eggs, sperm, fallopian tubes and uterine cavity are fine, next step was a cycle of Clomid and IUI. We also chose to do a genetic screening which was really helpful to decide that trying IUI was still a viable option. However, our first IUI failed and based on lower odds of success - specially because of the recently diagnosed endometriosis, Dr. Hickman suggested we should go change strategies and try IVF. It took us some time to decide and trust him in this journey. The first stage was the hardest, understanding and managing the medication was emotionally overwhelming. Thankfully, my body responded well and by retrieval we've got 18 eggs. About 16 fertilized and 8 survived the first week to become embryos. From the 8 embryos, 4 were correct, 1 uncertain and 3 incorrect. Great results paid off the, so far, most terrifying thing I've ever faced. As recommended by Dr. Hickman, we opted for a frozen embryo transfer and postponed the transfer to 3 months after we returned from a trip to South America (CDC recommended due to Zika threats at the time). The pause allowed my body to recover well. As I prepared to the transfer, my body responded well again to the medication. Our first transfer was done with one single embryo, the one that looked the strongest and with more chances of success. Dr. Hickman was very confident and said we had a 70% chances of success. Unfortunately, the transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Hickman did not know exactly what went wrong but explained that IVF is never guaranteed, and everything indeed looked promising. He also encouraged us to take our time and if we decided to try again, he still believed in the same odds as we had other strong embryos available. I was heartbroken and needed a couple months to process the experience and gather courage and hope to try again. We planned the dates carefully to make sure we would be relaxed and calm during the 6 weeks prep to transfer... it paid off! For this second attempt at transfer, Dr. Hickman did not change any protocol but I changed pharmacies, just in case, and increased my self-care. Knowing what to expect was very reassuring and gave me strength this time around. Our second transfer developed into a healthy pregnancy, now on its course. Dr. Hickman always kept his bedside manners and even though our contact was always brief, he seemed genuinely interested in helping us achieve our desired pregnancy. For those who are wondering why they can't get pregnant and have not found any answer yet, I highly recommend talking to him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Holy Davis)
I had one nurse assigned for the IUI. She seemed knowledgeable but was always in a rush, acting with less warmth that I would like. For the IVF I had a different nurse, much nicer. She was a great communicator, even though she seemed a bit disorganized at times. In my first round, I was very overwhelmed by the medication administration and feel that even though she tried to explain them in a simple way, it was all gibberish for me and I did not feel she could get how hard that was. At that time, it made me feel they did not care about me as a person, only my bloodwork numbers. I did a lot of research on my own, discovered techniques to apply injections less painfully and other things I felt they should have offered me since they know about them more than I do and the treatment is very expensive! Nevertheless, everything she said would happen regarding dosage and bloodwork happened exactly as she said, so I had to acknowledge that. On my second attempt, I feel my nurse and I were already in better terms.We already knew each other (the clinic is so busy that I understand they can't be close to everyone), I felt more confident about administering the medication, and fundamentally, trusted her. She always returned my calls and explained every single question with patience. I definitely appreciate her.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
The initial visit, lab tests, medication I needed for thyroid and genetic counseling, with our insurance, have been under $1,000. Our insurance however does not cover much more than diagnosis. For Clomid and one cycle of IUI it was about $2,000. For the IVF including freezing embryos for a year, one transfer, and medication it was about $ 30,000. Second transfer was about $5-6,000 - not sure anymore.
Describe Timothy Hickman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
We've done single embryo transfer because of my good chances of getting pregnant on the first attempts. Even though my first transfer failed and let me wondering if it was the best decision, I still agree that it was the best approach for my family at this moment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Neither my husband or I could ever see our bloodwork results online. We also had lots of trouble getting a descriptive receipt to justify our spends on the HSA card. Non-returned calls or e-mails. Receptionist at checkout not very helpful or friendly - in contrast with medical staff.
Houston - Gessner
I always felt completely comfortable with Dr. McKnight and enjoyed meeting with her. My only criticism was that I'm not sure if there was a ton if communication between her and my nurse about me other than just the pure blood work numbers. I had actually moved out of state between my consultation and my FET and she was unaware at the time of my transfer that I had been doing outside monitoring.
I've always felt in good hands with Houston IVF. They're clinic and office is very professional. It is a large clinic so if you want a more personal experience, this might not be the clinic for you. I, however felt completely comfortable with them and that I was given the best chance for pregnancy while with them.... My two embryos were actually frozen together so we chose to transfer both. We were told it was most likely safe to thaw and refreeze one of our embryos, but we chose not to take the chance.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Go with her, she's great!
Dr. McKnight was very friendly and I felt very comfortable around her. While still very professional, she still was easy going and was very positive throughout my FET cycle.
I had an FET transfer, starting with birth control pills to regulate my cycle and then followed by Lupron injections, estrogen, and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Judy)
My nurse was very helpful and I enjoyed speaking with her. My only complant was she was out of the office a lot. I don't want to judge since I don't know the reason behind it, but it was sometimes inconvenient when I had questions.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I believe my FET was about $4500.
Houston - Fannin
Dr Noddler without hesitation answered all of my questions and had a very sophisticated approached to my treatment. He was also lighthearted when needed and serious when necessary. I really enjoy being his patient...I have a very high AMH so my antagonist protocol had to be very closely monitored... He tailored my program to stimulate me enough to get good quality eggs, but not so much to cause me an discomfort.
The expression "you get what you pay for" is a perfect one for this clinic [CCRM Houston]. It is a little bit more expensive than my previous one, but the amount of attention and personal service you get is worth every penny!...There are not enough superlative adjectives to describe how amazing Amelia has been with me. I am a super type A pain in the butt and never once did I feel like she was annoyed with me. She is so knowledgeable and kind, and funny and light hearted but serious when needed. She is truly the best and I wouldn't want to do this journey without her.
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
The first thing I liked about Dr Noddler is how smart he was and how informed he seemed about the most up to date information. I consider myself an intelligent woman, so I went into our relationship having concerns and things I wanted clarification on. Dr Noddler without hesitation answered all of my questions and had a very sophisticated approached to my treatment. He was also lighthearted when needed and serious when necessary. I really enjoy being his patient.
Dr Noddler and his nurse use a very black and white protocol. The patient needs to know that every step of their plan is being carefully put together for each patient's best result
Doctor Noddler always greeted me by name, remembered conversations from previous meetings and always cared about what I had to say. He never rushed me out of the office and answered every question I had without problem.
I have a very high AMH so my antagonist protocol had to be very closely monitored. The reason I switched to Houston IVF and Dr Noddler is because my previous clinic and Dr over stimulated me so badly that I ended up with severe OHSS. To the point I had to have my belly drained. This was my biggest concern when I first met with Dr Noddler, and he took my concerns very seriously. He tailored my program to stimulate me enough to get good quality eggs, but not so much to cause me an discomfort. With a perfect cocktail of drugs, I was able to produce 26 eggs, 16 fertilized, and 9 grew to 5 day blasts. out of those 9, 3 were graded 5AA the highest quality egg possible. I am currently still in treatment. I've had my 5 day blast frozen embryo transfer 4 days ago, so I can't comment if it worked, but so far this has been the best experience I could have hoped for.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
The expression "you get what you pay for" is a perfect one for this clinic. It is a little bit more expensive than my previous one, but the amount of attention and personal service you get is worth every penny!
Monitoring appointments were always at 7:30am outside of working hours, so perfect
20,500$
I demanded that I have an eSET because I'm petrified of having twins. I was lucky that I fit in the perameter of those that qualify to have eSET
Treated 2014 - 2017
He’s incredibly personable and calm. He is able to put fears at ease and is very willing to listen and understand. We had many questions going into the procedures, and he was always willing to talk with us about any questions we had. He was always very thorough in his explanations.... this past frozen transfer I remember that he was very particular that we use endometrum suppositories
Their office [CCRM Houston] is beautifully located- on the top floor of a building that overlooks Houston. The waiting room is spacious and peaceful. I never had to wait more than five minutes. Once back- the nurses were so helpful and kind. I was literally walked through each step of the process.... The nurses were very on top of it. My nurse was very matter of fact.... Monitoring was super quick and easy! It was usually early morning so people could still get to work.
How was your experience with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Go see him sooner! Haha we waited a while to finally see an Infertility specialist and I wish we’d done it sooner because we received such great care.
Their office was incredible. There was rarely another patient waiting. The longest I waited in the waiting room was five minutes. Once back, I had a nurse or someone with me the entire time providing comfort. They were extremely personable.
It is hard to remember specifics from my first cycle... but this past frozen transfer I remember that he was very particular that we use endometrum suppositories instead of other progesterone supplements. He felt that the success rate with this medication was better than regular progesterone supplements.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
The nurses were very on top of it. My nurse was very matter of fact. She wasn’t superfluous in what she needed to say, which I appreciated.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
They have a million strengths in my eyes. Their office is beautifully located- on the top floor of a building that overlooks Houston. The waiting room is spacious and peaceful. I never had to wait more than five minutes. Once back- the nurses were so helpful and kind. I was literally walked through each step of the process.
I remember total- it was $13,000 and the second time with a frozen transfer was around $7,000
Our doctor was very open to what we wanted to do. He was very willing to let us select one or two embryos, based on how we felt.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Once I had a small struggle getting a hold of a nurse to call in a prescription that I was out of.
Treated 2015 - 2016
She [Dr Katherine McKnight] goes out of her way to talk through everything, and help us understand what is going on. She doesn't rush through appointments and makes sure that you have what you need for next steps. She is willing to meet us where we are at with treatments, and explains why she thinks something will or not work. She doesn't treat us like we are just another number in the clinic, but really makes you comfortable in the care you are receiving.
IUI with Clomid/Letrozol was reasonable - $1,000 a cycle. IUI with injectables was $2,000 a month + cost of meds. I don't remember specifics on IVF, but it is lower that 2 other places in our area...I really think that this Clinic [Houston IVF] has things down to a very good system. I know some people are bothered by not seeing the doctor every time they come in, but it is very obvious that the staff are in constant contact with the Doctors to make sure they your treatment is going well. The opening of their new location on Fannin has make things even easier for me.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. McKnight is very caring and compassionate. She goes out of her way to talk through everything, and help us understand what is going on. She doesn't rush through appointments and makes sure that you have what you need for next steps. She is willing to meet us where we are at with treatments, and explains why she thinks something will or not work. She doesn't treat us like we are just another number in the clinic, but really makes you comfortable in the care you are receiving.
If you have any questions on what is going on, just reach out to your nurse. Dr. McKnight communicates well through the nurses. If you don't receive an answer you like, or feel like you are not on the same page, set up an in person meeting.
Dr. McKnight goes out of her way to walk us through her thoughts on our treatment plans, what options we have, asking questions on how we feel about the steps we are taking, and understands when we need to take a break.
I have had a previous pregnancy, with the help of fertility treatments in a different state. Given this Dr. McKnight is very encouraging that I can once again get pregnant and is willing to follow my cue on trying IUI before moving to IVF. We have done 3 cycles of IUI, all resulting in negative pregnancy tests. The first IUI was Clomid days 5-9, and IUI ended up on CD 21. I ovulated prior to doing the trigger shot. I only had 1 dominate follicle for IUI #1. IUI #2 - Clomid days 5-9, trigger shot on CD 18 (only 1 dominate follicle), IUI on CD 20. IUI#3 - Clomid day 3-7, trigger on CD 15 (only 1 dominate follicle), IUI on CD 17. Currently on a treatment break, as we've decided to have lap surgery prior to next treatment, which we've discussed will be injectables with IUI.
Amelia is very attentive, quick, and responsive. She is always very compassionate when taking calls, or in person. The rest of the staff has always been very kind as well.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I really think that this Clinic has things down to a very good system. I know some people are bothered by not seeing the doctor every time they come in, but it is very obvious that the staff are in constant contact with the Doctors to make sure they your treatment is going well. The opening of their new location on Fannin has make things even easier for me.

Treated 2015
Don't expect to see [Dr. McKenzie] her often. Do know that she is aware of everything going on with your appointments and plan. She also likes to do as many tests as possible (common for an fertility specialist) but she would do even more if she could.
For the most part this office [Houston IVF] runs very smoothly...They did get better throughout my process about calling me the same day with testing results but never posted any results on the patient portal...their business office employees would rather not do any work looking into your insurance. They just want you to pay and leave - not friendly at all.
How was your experience with Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She is very kind and informative. She fully gives you her attention when speaking with you and your husband/partner, she includes them in the conversation as much as possible. At first I was uncomfortable with the fact that you rarely see her (you see the staff at each appointment, just not the doctor) but quickly realized it isn't necessary to see her each time since the staff is fully capable. It was also strange for her to perform my final ultrasound at 8 weeks pregnant (she was so sweet and happy for us), but she kind of came in and got "all the glory" when we hadn't seen her in about 4.5 months. But at the same time you are grateful and have to remember she was the one reviewing your chart and making the decisions about what to do next even though we didn't see her much. She was so compassionate when I miscarried. She even hugged me at the end of the appointment which surprised me since I figured she probably sees it so often. From the small amount of times we met with her, she was nothing but sweet, smart, compassionate, and a very lovely doctor who knows exactly what she is doing and looks out for your very best interest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Don't expect to see her often. Do know that she is aware of everything going on with your appointments and plan. She also likes to do as many tests as possible (common for an fertility specialist) but she would do even more if she could.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
The very few times I've met with Dr. McKenzie she was so kind and informative. In my experience with doing 3 cycles of IUI, the process was to meet with the doctor once at the very beginning to make a plan and get all of the information ... and if the the cycles did not work, you meet with the doctor again to re-evaluate your options (so about 3 months later). If it did work, you see the doctor in the 8th week of your pregnancy to do the final ultrasound before releasing you to your OBGYN. So in roughly 22 weeks I only saw Dr. McKenzie twice (my 3rd IUI worked). Unfortunately I went on to miscarry at 9 weeks so I have seen Dr. McKenzie again to re-evaluate our new plan and decide which plan will work for us moving forward. At first it was so strange to me that you don't see the doctor, you only see the nurses and ultrasound techs. Then the further along the process goes you understand that the staff is fully capable and the doctor is reviewing your progress every step of the way even if you don't see her. A couple of the nurses are rushed and kind of cold, but the majority of them are sweet and caring and always helpful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Technically I didn't see my nurse that was assigned to me ever, not sure if they just assign everyone to her and then any nurse takes care of you, or if there was a mistake made and I never really had an assigned. That was frustrating the first month. Then we realized that if I left a voicemail someone would return my call that day, but rarely the same nurse. There was a nurse there that returned my calls more than others and her name is Chelsea. She was so sweet and always looked into any question I had for her or the doctor. She was also very compassionate when I had a chemical pregnancy as well when I miscarried. Super sweet. She also performed my first IUI and didn't get frazzled when I started crying (due to the Chlomid emotional roller coaster). Lovely nurse.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
For the most part this office runs very smoothly. At the very beginning they give you a patient portal and tell you they will post your results and you can login to check them. This never happens. I had to call the nurse several times to find out any blood testing results. They did get better throughout my process about calling me the same day with testing results but never posted any results on the patient portal. Also insurance is tricky with infertility and their business office employees would rather not do any work looking into your insurance. They just want you to pay and leave - not friendly at all. They would rather let you leave without paying as opposed to taking the time to call your insurance company to see if you're covered for something. Also sometimes the nurses give conflicting information, like what you should or shouldn't do (when to have intercourse, which meds or vitamins or OK to take). We would just double-check with someone else when that happened.
Laurie McKenzie
Treated 2015
She [Dr. McKenzie] has the best bedside manner I have ever seen as a nurse and patient. She is compassionate and truly cares for her patient's well being. She is very thorough in her care and takes care of you as an individual, according to your specific needs....First, they ask you to come in and meet with your doctor to discuss any previous labs, pregnancies, medical history, etc and get an in office hysteroscopy and also get new lab work on you and your spouse.
Loved that they [Houston IVF] do everything there and store everything there also. My embryos haven't been moved since they found their home there. It's such a calm and relaxing atmosphere with a waterfall in the waiting area. The rooms are super clean and their equipment above expectations. They even have an in house lab so you never have to leave the office...I was always called by my first name in the office and got a quick return call from any on call staff. I was treated with respect and allowed to be a part of all my treatment during the whole process.
How was your experience with Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She has the best bedside manner I have ever seen as a nurse and patient. She is compassionate and truly cares for her patient's well being. She is very thorough in her care and takes care of you as an individual, according to your specific needs. There were fertility doctors closer to where I lived, but I chose to see her over an hour away from my home, just bc of the kind of doctor she was and the care i received from her. She is no longer with the practice as of now, but i will see Dr. McKnight when i have my frozen transfers, and she is just as kind and good at what she does.
DON'T waste your time with any other doctor!!!!
I was always called by my first name in the office and got a quick return call from any on call staff. I was treated with respect and allowed to be a part of all my treatment during the whole process. I will always use this doctor and office for all my infertility needs and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good doctor. Being a nurse and being burned at another infertility clinic, I would drive a hundred miles just to use this place!
Describe the protocols Laurie McKenzie used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
First, they ask you to come in and meet with your doctor to discuss any previous labs, pregnancies, medical history, etc and get an in office hysteroscopy and also get new lab work on you and your spouse. Then then you meet with her nurse to set up a schedule and sign any consents and the financial expert to come up with a plan. Once all test results come back and you call on day one of your cycle, you then start a monophasic birth control pill. I'm not too sure the name of the shots I took for a couple of weeks before the egg retrieval, but they were daily, along with twice a week u/s to measure follicles. The injections made more of your eggs mature, so they could retrieve a greater number on retrieval day. Then, depending on when they want you to come back, they implant a 3 or 5 day old embryo, and they keep you well informed of how they are growing and their rating. Then after the implantation, the progesterone injections start. Their protocol was 50mg daily for 10-12 weeks. I had an issue with progesterone absorption, so I was on 100mg daily for 12 weeks.
Excellent and so caring.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Loved that they do everything there and store everything there also. My embryos haven't been moved since they found their home there. It's such a calm and relaxing atmosphere with a waterfall in the waiting area. The rooms are super clean and their equipment above expectations. They even have an in house lab so you never have to leave the office.
Great and well organized!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurie McKenzie at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
My insurance didn't cover infertility, so we had to pay cash. First appt $75, hysteroscopy $180?, anesthesia for egg retrieval $500?, and everything else kind of depends on if you have insurance. They have a 30% off compassionate care program for those who make less than a certain amount each year and are cash pay, which we qualified for and paid, with meds and all, + or - $16000. Cheaper than other places we looked at.
Describe Laurie McKenzie's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Not sure. I never asked about this.
Laurie McKenzie

Treated 2010 - 2011
The whole clinic is so well run... As an IVF patient I was assigned my own nurse who handled all of my communication with their office and was present for all of my appointments and procedures. She returned all of my phone calls promptly and answered all of my questions.
How was your experience with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
I had the best experience as Dr. Hickman's patient! His office is so prompt and efficient. The whole clinic is so well run. Dr. Hickman was incredibly professional. He is compassionately matter-of-fact, and what I mean is that he delicately tells you the truth. I was a patient for a year doing IUIs and during that time I didn't really see him (except for the initial consultation) because his nurses perform all of the procedures. I ended up doing IVF and that's really when I felt like he was present. He had to perform a minor surgical procedure on me before we could proceed with IVF, and he was just wonderful. He did a fantastic job, but he also made my family and me feel like he cared. He took extra time with them going over my surgery and explaining everything in detail. He was equally wonderful performing the IVF. I really believe his is sensitive to his patients (who are under extreme amounts of stress and pumped up with hormones) and I felt he was very smart. I think he takes his success rate seriously which I appreciate. Overall I never questioned that I was receiving the absolute best care and treatment. I met with him the first time and left thinking "this is the doctor for me". It has been over three years since the birth of my twins and I still think that he was the perfect choice.
I wish I would not have waited so long to move from IUIs to IVF. I don't think that anyone at the clinic ever suggested that IUIs weren't working and that I should be considering other options. Although, it might have been discussed during the initial consultation. So, don't wait for them to contact you if you have questions or feel things aren't progressing. Call them and they will take care of you
As an IVF patient I was assigned my own nurse who handled all of my communication with their office and was present for all of my appointments and procedures. She returned all of my phone calls promptly and answered all of my questions. I believe she really wanted my treatments to work. When you have a point person in the office its like you, Dr. Hickman, and your nurse are a team doing everything possible to get you that baby. The nurse calls you to give you your pregnancy results. My husband and I couldn't be together to take the call, so I had her leave a message for me giving me the results. The nurse was so excited on the message and so sweet; I still have the message on my phone.
She was always easy to get in contact with, and she was very encouraging.
Houston - Fannin

Dr. Hickman was knowledgeable, empathetic, clear, caring and reputable. I do wish I would have seen him more. I only saw him during the consult and his nursing team took over from there. The nurses were great, no problems at all. I just wish Dr. Hickman had a little more presence. ... IUI with Clomid. Called first day of period. Did ultrasound at Day 3. Took Clomid for 3 days. Did trigger injection day before procedure. Did ultrasound and sperm washing day of procedure.
The clinic [CCRM Houston] is great. A peaceful setting. Bloodwork in house. The doctor and nurses were great. My insurance does not cover fertility treatments so they are expensive. IUI without insurance was $1300 not including medication and other requested medical tests like HSG. IVF without insurance is around $18000 without medicines
How was your experience with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
If your doing an IUI, be prepared to only meet the doc once in the beginning. Have any questions you want answered by him ready for the consult. The nursing team is great and knowledgeable as well.
Very kind during consult. Extremely knowledgeable and explained options clearly. Nursing team was great, also very kind. Never felt like a number.
Communication was great. She explained everything thoroughly and clearly.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
The clinic is great. A peaceful setting. Bloodwork in house. The doctor and nurses were great. My insurance does not cover fertility treatments so they are expensive. IUI without insurance was $1300 not including medication and other requested medical tests like HSG. IVF without insurance is around $18000 without medicines
IUI without insurance coverage was $1300 + medicines & medical tests. IVF without insurance coverage was $18000+ $4000-$7000 for medicines.
Treated 2014 - 2017
I feel like she is an excellent Doctor. She hopes that this works for us and continues down the road with us. She does suggest using donor or have it as back up, but we are not there yet. I feel like she is an excellent Doctor...Do research and ask for what you want. If you think there might be some alternatives that have not been suggested, ask. She actually suggested another medication protocol for my husband and it seems to be working. His doctor had not even suggested it at the time...
Make sure to ask [Houston IVF] lots of questions. There is acupuncture on site for pre and post transfer...They set up the majority of appointments in the early morning hours so that you can get to work...She was a great nurse. She worked with me on schedules and answered all calls and emails ASAP...My benefits are excellent, but average retrieval and transfer run 12-15k plus meds...I had two egg retrievals and froze my eggs for when they could retrieve sperm. I used Lupron, follistim, menopur , birth control pills, and an oral steroid for my cycles. I think asking for an hsg is a good idea before a potential transfer to make sure nothing might be blocking things up...
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
I feel like she is an excellent Doctor. She hopes that this works for us and continues down the road with us. She does suggest using donor or have it as back up, but we are not there yet. I feel like she is an excellent Doctor. She hopes that this works for us and continues down the road with us. She does suggest using donor or have it as back up, but we are not there yet.
Dr McKnight is an excellent Doctor. She cares about me and what I am going through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Judy gerow)
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Make sure to ask lots of questions. There is acupuncture on site for pre and post transfer .

Treated 2012 - 2017
Dr. Hickman did explain everything well before beginning ivf. After a failed cycle he would always call me himself and answer every single question I had. I felt he was a great doctor and trusted him completely...We used the antagonist protocol and I always used lupron with every cycle. I would trigger with 10,000 units of hgh. I would always react decently...I did feel taken care of.
I think [IVF at CCRM Houston] was close to 35 thousand for two cycles. I thought the clinic was great. Your doctor isn't always the one who performs the retrieval or transfer, which I didn't know going in, sometimes its another RE on site. But all of them were wonderful...All monitoring appointments were scheduled before 8am and there were several nurses working to get you back to do bloodwork while the doctors were in and out doing ultrasounds. Things always moved very fast in the mornings.
How was your experience with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Ivf isn't easy and it isn't cheap, but he was worth it.
I did feel taken care of.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Susan Gibbons)
Susan was there for all my questions and to help with everything along the way. She was wonderful!
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
If was vey expensive, I think it was close to 35 thousand for two cycles. Thanks to several loans, our life savings and my grandmother who helped us pay for everything. Everything was included in the price except for the anesthesia. Acupuncture was also separate.
My first two transfer he allowed 3 each time, but my third only 2 were transferred per new law/rule.
Treated 2017
Dr Nodler took the time to get a thorough history of my infertility journey. He made clear what results I could expect from various procedures. He spoke freely about statistics, allowing me to have a realistic understanding of my chances of success.... James Nodler is an excellent doctor. After many years of infertility, we had great success under his care. I have twins, conceived on the first round of IVF. My experience was positive; every visit and procedure went very smoothly.
Weakness: somewhat hard to reach via phone- lots of transferring or leaving messages for a call back. Strengths: blood work in house was very convenient, nice and clean facility and short wait times. Lobby staff [CCRM Houston] was always friendly.... Dr Nodler explained all our options and we all (Dr Nodler, my husband and myself) felt comfortable with an IVF cycle. Ultrasounds were done to assess my uterus, ovaries and eggs. Blood work was done to screen for other potential issues that would prevent conceiving.
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Ask lots of questions. He will explain in detail anything you are unsure about.
Dr Nodler explained all our options and we all (Dr Nodler, my husband and myself) felt comfortable with an IVF cycle. Ultrasounds were done to assess my uterus, ovaries and eggs. Blood work was done to screen for other potential issues that would prevent conceiving. We were able to proceed with no issues.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Weakness: somewhat hard to reach via phone- lots of transferring or leaving messages for a call back. Strengths: blood work in house was very convenient, nice and clean facility and short wait times. Lobby staff was always friendly.
We did chromosomal testing on the embryos. We elected to transfer 2 embryos, understanding that chromasomally normal embryos would have a higher chance of implementing with no issues to follow. We understood that our chances of twins would be higher.
Treated 2017
Was very clear every step of the way. Very caring and reassuring. Answered all questions I had no matter how minimal it may have seemed. She [Dr. McKnight] gave me a good understanding of what was happening with my body and gave me a better understanding of what PCOS meant. Explained all ultrasounds and told me what was expected of me after my egg reached a certain size.
The clinic [Houston IVF] itself was very nice. The front desk lady knew me by name after awhile which made me feel special. I was always asked if I needed water which was also very nice. The waiting area was very warm and welcoming also. ... I remember the nurse to be very sweet and respect of my situation. Explained everything she saw on the ultrasound monitor which was super comforting
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Was very clear every step of the way. Very caring and reassuring. Answered all questions I had no matter how minimal it may have seemed. She gave me a good understanding of what was happening with my body and gave me a better understanding of what PCOS meant. Explained all ultrasounds and told me what was expected of me after my egg reached a certain size.
To ask all the questions and not be afraid to ask for things to be explained in a different matter if you don’t understand.
Everyone in the office was super nice and helpful!
I was instructed to use clomid on cycle days 5-9 and then go in regularly for ultrasounds. Once my egg was a certain size I was instructed to have timed intercourse. Then 2 weeks later a pregnancy test. If it was positive I would go in for a pee test in the clinic to confirm.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
The clinic itself was very nice. The front desk lady knew me by name after awhile which made me feel special. I was always asked if I needed water which was also very nice. The waiting area was very warm and welcoming also.
I believe the clomid cycle cost 1,200 which included the ultrasound. The clomid cost was around $60 The trigger shot was around $200
Treated 2013 - 2015
She [my nurse] cared so much about me... She is incredibly patient when I ask questions... lots of questions. She has been there for me when medication didn't get delivered and made sure I had what I needed at all times.
How was your experience with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
He was amazing. He is methodical and can explain why he is doing what he is doing clearly. He has no problem with questions. He is available if you need him. He called me back at night one time because i was so worried the night before my second IUI. He explained why he really thought this cycle would work (which it did).
Don't wait. Go see him.
Dr. Hickman was AMAZING!!! He took the time, anytime, including at night after he got off work, to answer my questions. He explained everything to me and seemed to even enjoy the fact I was asking questions. A different doctor I went to first actually blamed me for my infertility. He told me that my past was my past and the goal now was to get me pregnant, which he did. I can't recommend him enough.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
She cared so much about me. I am currently going back to try to conceive a second child. She found me, remembered me, my background, when my child was born, my interest. She is incredibly patient when I ask questions...lots of questions. She has been there for me when medication didn't get delivered and made sure I had what I needed at all times.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
My nurse went on vacation and I am a "different" patient for IUI. My issues are more like those that lead to IVF. My nurse had told me to start Crinone after the IUI (I had also done this twice previously). The day of my IUI, the nurse forgot to tell me to start the Crinone. I called to ask and they cleared it up.
Treated 2017 - 2019
He [Dr. Nodler] definitly knows his stuff in the field and he knows how to communicate and make me feel at ease. ... He wanted me to do one at fresh but now that we have gone that route he definitly what's to put 2 in this time ... It has been a crazy rollercoaster with it all and every time I see him he makes me feel more hopeful that this next time will work. ... J felt like he was very invested in our treatment. I was my name and not just a hey you.
I love this clinic [Houston IVF]. I see alot of proof that there method works, with pictures if families everywhere. They welcome you with smiles and love and like they really want to help you. It's been a great feeling knowing they are an amazing supposed system for fanilies. ... She [nurse] has always been able to answer my questions In a timely manner. She has always been a shoulder and someone I can trust and go to when it comes to anything IVF. She has been Great supporter!
How was your experience with James Nodler at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
He is an awesome doctor. He definitly knows his stuff in the field and he knows how to communicate and make me feel at ease. It has been a crazy rollercoaster with it all and every time I see him he makes me feel more hopeful that this next time will work.
Trust him. He knows what he is doing. He is a great doctor and I put my belief in him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amilia)
She has always been able to answer my questions In a timely manner. She has always been a shoulder and someone I can trust and go to when it comes to anything IVF. She has been Great supporter!
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I love this clinic. I see alot of proof that there method works, with pictures if families everywhere. They welcome you with smiles and love and like they really want to help you. It's been a great feeling knowing they are an amazing supposed system for fanilies.
families Treatment was 17,000 and then we had to pay for the meds and that was 3 to 4,000
Treated 2015
Honest and forthright. He [Dr. Timothy Hickman] answered all questions and explained the process almost to the point of over explaining (but I had done a lot of research prior to our first appointment). He called with results of the egg retrieval personally. Found out later that he has a tendency to always propose multiple embryo transfer if more than one viable embryo is available
[Houston IVF/CCRM Houston is] Organized and knowledgeable. Wonderful experience. There are multiple doctors and you will end up seeing all of them at one point in time or another so if continually seeing the same doctor is important to you that might be a weakness but I had no issue with it.... My appointments started on time and I was seen quickly. My nurse called me promptly with lab results and instructions when applicable.
How was your experience with Timothy Hickman at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Honest and forthright. He answered all questions and explained the process almost to the point of over explaining (but I had done a lot of research prior to our first appointment). He called with results of the egg retrieval personally. Found out later that he has a tendency to always propose multiple embryo transfer if more than one viable embryo is available.
Everyone at the clinic was very welcoming. Dr. Hickman explained everything I needed to know and was responsive to any questions I had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Organized and efficient. My appointments started on time and I was seen quickly. My nurse called me promptly with lab results and instructions when applicable.
All in, egg retrieval and 1 transfer was about $17k
He tends to propose multiple embryo transfer. As I had never had a failed IVF cycle and knowing current success rates I might have chosen to only transfer one at a time.