Genetic counseling: Offered
West Los Angeles, CA 90064
Westlake Village
1220 La Venta Drive
Westlake Village, CA 91361
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend HRC to a friend?

7.1

IUI, 2 IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [HRC] is bright, well appointed, and very efficient. It tends to be on the busy side and often has multiple patients in the waiting area. Wait times are low if you arrive at your appointment as scheduled; we prefer early mornings and are able to arrive on time for work in a different part of town without much difficulty...Nancy [nurse] has been there every step of the way with us. She's been our hype-woman and has offered to help pick us up when we felt loss. She's been a great advocate for us and works with both partners, not just the patient undergoing treatment. I've been included in the plans of care and she's been careful to make sure I don't feel left out.
IUI, 2 IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is bright, well appointed, and very efficient. It tends to be on the busy side and often has multiple patients in the waiting area. Wait times are low if you arrive at your appointment as scheduled; we prefer early mornings and are able to arrive on time for work in a different part of town without much difficulty.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
While Doctor Kolb can be awkward, he definitely has compassion for his patients. He was very careful following the miscarriage to share information when my wife & I were ready or asked questions. He has a busy practice but our interactions with him are friendly and warm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy has been there every step of the way with us. She's been our hype-woman and has offered to help pick us up when we felt loss. She's been a great advocate for us and works with both partners, not just the patient undergoing treatment. I've been included in the plans of care and she's been careful to make sure I don't feel left out.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb has a great deal of experience and is a calm hand through a difficult process. He is very sensitive to our emotional well-being and has shown concern for our individual journey. He was the practitioner who identified the third miscarriage and I witnessed the moment he realized what had occurred. He briefly was surprised but shifted into a comforting role in the blink of an eye. His own shock was hidden from us and he was present for our heart break. I will always respect him for putting aside his own disappointment in order to care for us as people.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Don't be fooled by the aloof-seeming nature he presents. He takes a bit to open up and is genuinely a good guy. He cares and takes the time to learn about you. He may seem robotic at first but he's a good doctor. Very gentle as well.
Describe the protocols Bradford Kolb used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Honestly, as the male partner, I wasn't subject to the program my female partner went through. I do know that, after the first egg retrieval (which utilized both oral and injectables), he adjusted his calibrations for the second round which improved the egg quality and quantity for the second retrieval. Additionally, by being our Doctor during the latest miscarriage, he has already proposed a sweeping new plan for the next pregnancy, including blood thinners, immuno-suppressants, and hormone regimes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
The egg retrievals were $2500 a piece, medication (for stimulation) was $2100 per stimulation cycle, and DNC following miscarriage was $500 or so after co-pay.
Describe Bradford Kolb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Dr. Kolb prefers a safe, conservative approach and suggests single transfers. He is open to dual transfers but that would be his upper limit. He was rather blunt on the idea of 3+ transfers.

3 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
I would NOT recommend HRC to any prospective patients. ... It seems they are most interested in generating profit rather than providing attentive care to people who are experiencing one of the most difficult things they can go through in their lives. ... HRC is completely overworked, overbooked, and overcrowded. ... The nurses are too busy, the doctors are busy and also too confident and cocky in their abilities ...
3 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC is completely overworked, overbooked, and overcrowded. It seems they are most interested in generating profit rather than providing attentive care to people who are experiencing one of the most difficult things they can go through in their lives. The nurses are too busy, the doctors are busy and also too confident and cocky in their abilities (which hasn't worked for us as we are not pregnant yet) and unwilling to change. They are more concerned with their foreign investments and their clinic is more about making a profit than providing personalized, attentive care. I would NOT recommend HRC to any prospective patients. They have good success rates but they treat you like a number. This is not worth it to me at all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Wilcox at HRC?
HRC's clinic in Pasadena is completely overworked and understaffed. They have taken on too many patients, including a large number of foreign national patients. There have been many times where the waiting room is so crowded that patients have nowhere to sit. This in turn affects the level of care that the doctors and nurses provide us as patients. I have had very little interaction with Dr. Wilcox and he is so busy that he does not do follow up appointments with patients. I realize that we need to find a clinic and doctor that offers more personalized care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nanette Villajoaquin)
Dr Wilcox's nursing staff is good and prompt in returning my calls and emails, however they do lack some compassion or empathy. For example, my nurse called with the negative beta results and did not say "I'm sorry" or any other words to provide comfort. I also think the nurses are completely overworked and understaffed.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
I believe Dr. Wilcox is an exceptional, knowledgeable doctor with years of experience. He has a calm, supportive and reassuring demeanor, however, he is a bit too confident in his abilities and unwilling to change or adjust his protocol. We have had two failed transfers with pgs normal embryos and he only suggested one test (ERA) but does not believe in changing our protocol at all. He also does not do follow up appointments and after two failed transfers, I had to push our clinic to demand a meeting with Dr. Wilcox. I believe it is unconscionable that a doctor does not provide follow up care with failed treatments and that I had to demand follow up meetings.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Wilcox at HRC?
I would not recommend HRC or Dr. Wilcox if you are seeking personalized, one-on-one care with a provider who has the time to respond to your concerns. However, if this is not a priority for you, then HRC and Dr. Wilcox are very capable and should hopefully get you success. They are not a good clinic for patients that have more difficult cases and need more specialized care.
Describe the protocols John Wilcox used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
I did one egg retrieval with Dr. Wilcox which yielded 34 eggs, of which 28 were mature. All 28 were fertilized with ICSI and we ended up with 14 blastocysts. We sent the 14 embryos to be PGS tested and 6 came back PGS normal. He gave us a protocol of menopur and follistim and Lupron trigger. For FET #1, we did delestrogen injections every 3 days and then progesterone suppositories and sublingual progesterone 3 times a day. This resulted in a negative beta test (implantation failure) with our best PGS embryo. FET #2 I took 10mg daily of prednisone, delestrogen injections every 3 days and progesterone suppositories twice a day and progesterone injections once a day. This also resulted in a negative beta test (implantation failure) with our second best PGS embryo. Dr. Wilcox suggested ERA to determine if the timing is accurate but does not recommend any further immune testing or testing for endometritis or endometriosis. With each transfer, my lining has been perfect (10mm a week before the transfer, trilaminar stripe), my hysteroscopy showed a great uterine cavity. Dr Wilcox believes it is just a matter of time until we get pregnant and does not suggest any other testing so we will be switching doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
We paid around $16,000 for egg retrieval, ICSI, and pgs testing on 14 embryos (including ultrasounds, blood tests, and one beta test and transfer). Our next FET cycle cost $3260 which includes a Kaiser discount. The medications were extra and varied in price.
Describe John Wilcox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Strengths: the office [HRC Pasadena] is beautiful, the parking is free and it is convenient for people living in Pasadena. Weakness: there is awful communication and you are expected to know about fertility treatments at your consultation as a new patient. ... $3500-$4000 each round of IUI. ... We felt like a number because we had very little knowledge of the process in the beginning ... the nurse practitioner, who you've only met for 5 seconds blurts out, you should just go to IVF, it dehumanizes you and makes you feel like a failure and you are out of options.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with HRC.
It a pretty clinic, which was very misleading because the facade of looking good didn't match the behind the scenes medical experience. Strengths: the office is beautiful, the parking is free and it is convenient for people living in Pasadena. Weakness: there is awful communication and you are expected to know about fertility treatments at your consultation as a new patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
We felt like a number because we had very little knowledge of the process in the beginning and we trusted Dr. Nelson. During the first minute of our consult he said we were already behind because of our age. If he thought that we were so far behind, why did he start so conservatively? When you've experienced your 4th failed attempt at IUI and the nurse practitioner, who you've only met for 5 seconds blurts out, you should just go to IVF, it dehumanizes you and makes you feel like a failure and you are out of options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Justina Wang)
Justina had a heavy accent, which made communicating about things which require so much detail, like giving yourself injections on specific days very challenging. We had NEVER gone through any form of fertility treatment before and this information was not given to us like we should know the process and what to do.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
We didn't know much about fertility treatment when we began our fertility journey. Upon consultation, we were told that we should have started our treatment years ago, which was discouraging considering we had just gotten married and there was nothing we could do about that. We began with all diagnostics to make sure that everything in my body was working as it should, which was Dr. Nelson's suggestion. We were never told that anything wasn't "good." HRC Pasadena in general had many miscommunications and directions given to us that were not clear, from both the medical assistant assigned to our case to the financial coordinator. As we began our treatments with Dr. Nelson, which was close to our home and convenient, he began conservatively. We appreciated this because I came in believing, and was under the impression even after all the labs, that I was fertile Myrtle. We were NEVER told that my AMH was under 1 when we began trying to get pregnant. It wasn't until we were out of funds in 2017 where we were just paying our OBGYN to do IUIs that we consulted with another fertility doctor who went over our labs from 2015 and said that she would have started with IVF immediately back in 2015 to retrieve the eggs I had! I have been so so so so so disappointed in the fact that 2 years and over $50,000 have been spent without us knowing the proper information. We have taken time off to build up our financials so we can try retrievals once again AND here we are in 2019 now with nothing. I'm SO angry, upset, resentful and frustrated that my bloodwork and personal lab results were withheld and not given to me clearly in 2015 when I was 34 as they would have changed our plan and how we proceed. I also know now that if someone says something to you like, "you should have started your fertility journey years ago," they are NOT the person you should trust to guide you on your way to making a baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Don't expect a physician to objectively explain your lab work or the process. Get educated and ask for all of your information and labs to be printed for you so you can get educated on your own.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Nelson used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Dr. Nelson wanted to start with bloodwork and diagnostics to make sure that my body was functioning properly. He suggested we start with an ICI, which was very conservative and in hindsight, we have no idea why he would start there if he knew that my AMH was below 1. We asked about using Clomid, which he didn't offer immediately. Going into our first insemination, we did use Clomid, per our own request, and we did request an IUI. After the first insemination, he thought the Clomid was pointless and he didn't suggest any other meds except the HCG trigger shot. We continued with 3 more IUIs using HCG trigger shots, none of them resulting in pregnancy. It was after our 4th insemination that the nurse practitioner, who we'd just met, said, "you should just do IVF." At that point we were done with this office and never received a call or follow up from Dr. Nelson.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
Each time we did a round of IUI, it was $2000 for the procedure + the cost of meds + the cost of sperm = $3500-$4000 each round of IUI.
Describe Jeffrey Nelson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
We never go to this point with Dr. Nelson.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.

Liz was my coordinator for the retreival and Michelle was my coordinator for the transfer [at HRC]. Words can't describe how amazing they both are. So friendly, compassionate and polite. They helped answer any dumb questions that I had and we're just amazing!!...Retreival $21,500 +$3,000 retreival medicine (we had the embryos tested PGD and PGS) Transfer $3,800 + $1,000 transfer meds...HRC had everything down to a science. Blood work, scans and meetings all take place upstairs and the retreival and transfer are downstairs. They do their best to always make sure you are very comfortable!
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Dr Frederick was very helpful in understanding what was going on with us and also made sure to go over everything with us. I never felt like a number with her and she really cared for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Liz and Michelle)
Liz was my coordinator for the retreival and Michelle was my coordinator for the transfer. Words can't describe how amazing they both are. So friendly, compassionate and polite. They helped answer any dumb questions that I had and we're just amazing!!
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
The first meeting with Dr. Frederick she was really knowledgeable and asked us to get genetic testing. As soon as we got results it actually changed our plans. We then started IVF and she was there doing everything with us. She would answer emails very quickly and was very responsive even outside business hours. We will be starting another round soon and she has been very helpful with explaining what will change and what we can do on top of the meds.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jane Frederick at HRC?
She is a bit blunt but I am a fan of that when it comes to medical. I want someone to tell me how it is. If you need something a bit more sugar coated then she may not be for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
Describe Jane Frederick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
I asked about transfering 2 embryos however she was very specific based on my age and previous miscarriage she would only transfer one.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jane Frederick at HRC.

Angel is the IVF coordinator for HRC Oceanside. She is kind and does what she can to help the patients through their questions and requests. She was great training us on all of our injections. However, clinic policies hinder information flow and make it frustrating to ask questions and then not receive information...My prescriptions for IVF weren’t called into the pharmacy until the day I showed up for baseline and they realized they hadn’t been ordered. I was supposed to pick them up that day. Instead I had to drive 45 minutes to the clinic again the next day to get them and started the injections later in the day than I was supposed to.
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC has several policies that I only learned about as we were going through IVF that really bothered me: 1) You have to decide whether you will pay some $5500 lump sum for PGS testing of embryos before you even know how many embryos have made it to biopsy. The cost does not change no matter how many embryos you have, so you could be paying that much for 1 embryo. 2) The clinic is not open on weekends. This is a BIG PROBLEM. This prevents you from having sufficient monitoring during egg retrieval cycles and the drug dosage can’t be adjusted as finely. You also can’t get questions answered on the weekend. There is no access to Dr. Coffler for questions. 3) The clinic batches all patients for particular retrieval dates each month so you have to take birth control pills. These can suppress the number of eggs you are able to retrieve and reduce your chances of success. 4) Once your embryos are created, getting information about them is a black box. Other clinics allow you to speak to people in the embryology lab. At HRC, there is NO access to anyone at the embryology lab. You can only receive information from Angel and she is not able to convey the kind of information that an embryologist would have. Also, they do not give Day 3 updates about the progress of the embryos. At the end, I was only able to get all of the information about my embryos be requesting my full medical record and calling the PGS lab. I never received a full PGS report about my embryos besides “complex abnormal”, whereas other PGS labs will give a breakdown of the chromosome errors. I did get this over the phone but it was hard to take down and I don’t know if I got it right. They do it this way because HRC uses its own in-house PGS Lab rather than one of the bigger commercial labs. They pocket all the profits at every stage and provide subpar service which is not up to the standards of other commercial options. It would be fine if they gave you the information and service others provide (since you’re paying just as much), but they don’t.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Dr Coffler and his team did treat me like a human. Angel, the NP IVF coordinator in particular was very helpful and explained how to do all our injections kindly. Dr. Coffler was always kind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel Calfee)
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Dr. Coffler does not seem like he is open to the newest research or to customizing his protocols for each patient. He is very kind and optimistic (overly so), but he does not want to be questioned about the protocol even when the research did not indicate it as right for me. He has his one protocol that he uses for everyone (microdose lupron) even though that is only indicated for poor responders. I received my protocol and questioned it once I began researching what it was. When I tried to get him on the phone to discuss, the front desk kept saying they might charge me over a hundred dollars for a phone consultation. In the end they did not charge me and I only took 5 minutes of his time. He said this protocol is just what they use to get good results for everyone. I trusted in the CDC statistics and didn’t question it further, but it didn’t work well for us in the end.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Don’t see Dr. Coffler. Aside from the problems I had with him as a Dr., the clinic is horrible to deal with in many ways and you can’t see him without dealing with HRC policies.
Describe the protocols Mickey Coffler used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Microdose lupron protocol, with birth control pill priming in order to schedule all the patients for certain retrieval dates per month. They put everyone on birth control for scheduling, but it turns out this can suppress the number of follicles that respond and you can get fewer eggs than you might without birth control pills. We got fewer eggs than my antral follicle count. This protocol wasn’t great for me. We only got 1 PGS normal embryo that was mediocre quality.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
Total cycle cost was just over $17k not including medication, but including $5050 lump sum for PGS testing. I spent just under $2k on medications ordered from overseas.
Describe Mickey Coffler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Dr. Coffler only transfers 1 embryo except in select circumstance which have to be justified, like older patients with poor quality embryos.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Strengths: -clinic [HRC] is clean -most of the staff are courteous and friendly -wait time when I went for ultrasound/bloodwork was not bad at all Weakness -took me about a month to get a schedule for initial consultation -their main receptionist is not so courteous in person and during phone calls ... Their monitoring is in the mornings. Weekend monitoring is in another branch about about 30 miles away
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with HRC.
Strengths: -clinic is clean -most of the staff are courteous and friendly -wait time when I went for ultrasound/bloodwork was not bad at all Weakness -took me about a month to get a schedule for initial consultation -their main receptionist is not so courteous in person and during phone calls
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Norian at HRC?
I can tell that Dr. Norian is always really busy but he always managed to ask how I am doing. Although always briefly, but he makes it a point to explain his plan of care for me and informs me if my results are good or not.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Yes. Michelle)
My nurse coordinator always answered my calls and emails promptly. The only thing is she can be sarcastic when I clarify certain things about the treatment that I don’t understand.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian from my experience would usually say like over all I’m pleased with the result when he checked my blood works, follicles. I also had a couple of blood work results that were a bit abnormal and he would point it out to me and prescribed me a medication and coach me on lifestyle changes that I needed to do. He would give feedbacks like that. Sometimes or some tests he failed to give me feedback so that’s when I have to initiate and ask him things like what do you think of my husband’s sperm analysis result, how are my follicles responding to the treatment. I am still half way through my IVF process but I am pleased in general with how Dr. Noraian is managing my treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Norian at HRC?
Do your research in advance if you can because Dr. Norian or even most doctors I think, don’t really give a detailed explanation of everything in the process and if they do you will most probably be overwhelmed while in the clinic. Also make make a list of the questions you might have for Dr. Norian and his team.
Describe the protocols John Norian used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Birth control pills for about 2 weeks, then injections for about 10 days. Follistim, menopur. Ganirelix was added in the last few days. Trigger shot was lupron. Mood swings, fatigue and mild OHSS towards egg retrieval day and after were the side effects that I experienced.
$17,000+ including PGS ,ICSI but not including meds and mock IVF

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [HRC] seems to have become more popular for this side of town. It is sometimes difficult to get appointments at a certain time. The nurses were good but sometimes they seemed stressed because they were short people. This clinic seems to be understaffed and would benefit of hiring some more nurses. ... Scheduling was a bit of a nightmare because you had to go in before 11:00 am to get blood results that afternoon.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic seems to have become more popular for this side of town. It is sometimes difficult to get appointments at a certain time. The nurses were good but sometimes they seemed stressed because they were short people. This clinic seems to be understaffed and would benefit of hiring some more nurses.
Dr Norian has always been very delicate and chooses his words wisely. He does not sugar coat anything but, he is considerate of your feelings.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
The care coordinator was helpful to an extent. I believe she is used for out of the country patients who speak another language. My difficulty with her was the language barrier. Often it was hard to communicate certain things to her because she spoke broken English. Although, she was hard to understand, she still provided as much help as she could.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian is very honest and will definitely let you know how things are going. During my cycle leading to a retrieval I had to call him on weekends and at night and he was always there to pick up the phone. After I was confirmed pregnant, I called him for a concern I had at 8pm on his vacation and he was quick to answer the phone and help. I would say one of his weaknesses is running late in the office. He has started to get more popular and the office seems more busy now, which causes him to run late with appointments. I still think it’s a good thing, because that means he doesn’t just rush you out of his office when you have questions or concerns.
Ask a lot of questions. Make sure to write down answers if you need it or have them email you information so that it is in writing.
Dosages were adjusted as I went through the retrieval process. He was very careful not to over stimulate. I expressed my concerns regarding that matter. A previous doctor had over stimulated and then cancelled my treatment. He knew I was very worried about this happening and he always kept me up to date with dosages and provided reasoning as to why he was decreasing or increasing meds.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
Scheduling was a bit of a nightmare because you had to go in before 11:00 am to get blood results that afternoon. Ultrasounds were all done around the same time. If the time wasn’t available in afternoon you have to take off work and come during not so favorable hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
I went in months before my treatment and prices were going to go up. I ended up paying for treatment 3 months before. I paid a total of 18,800 to the clinic. Then another 3,200 for medication. Now the prices have been raised. I will be going back for more treatments.
Describe John Norian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Dr. Norian is not a fan of transferring more than one embryo. He will of course do what you want, but does provide you with information why transferring more than one embryo is considered a high risk.

IUI, 1 IVF
Prices are what they are but they work with a finance team [HRC] if you need it. The whole team acts like a family and will do all in their power to make you feel comfortable ... Brandy is the face of sympathy. She will make sure that issues that were not or forgotten to discuss will be addressed. She will make time for you and make you feel you are the only patient there. If a question arises when home you can email her and she replies back ASAP if not the same moment. Very approachable
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with HRC.
Sometimes the wait times but then again you are met in a very personal way. Prices are what they are but they work with a finance team if you need it. The whole team acts like a family and will do all in their power to make you feel comfortable
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
As a patient you feel treated like an equal. Your input does matter and Dr. Boostanfar goes the extra mile to make sure you understand his reasoning and makes you part of the treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Brandy Cravens)
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Boostanfar is a genuine and I am glad he was my first experience as a fertility doctor. As previously said, he treats you as his partner in the treatment and goes the extra mile with his RN Brandy to meet your fertility/emotional need. If you feel you don’t fully understand his motivation he will address that. He is up to date with his knowledge of expertise and the fact that he suggested mini ivf at my age only proves that, since it is the quality and not the quantity that matters.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Boostanfar is busy but he will take his time to make sure all is clear. However it is better to have your questions ready for him. Fertility is seen as very personal hence some topics remained unspoken, but they should be discussable and he is the right person for it.
Describe the protocols Robert Boostanfar used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
As mentioned I underwent the mini ivf, as it has become more and more clear that full blown high dosages of fertility hormones increase the number but not necessarily the quality of the eggs. I had a gentle cycle with injectables and low dose of everything. I had barely any side effects and experienced a pregnancy from the first cycle. Unfortunately ended in miscarriage due to genetic defect. So specifics: a mini ivf including the egg retrieval (my own), since only 3 eggs available, opted for ICSI to ascertain feryilization, topped it up with endometrial scratching which in peer reviewed journals has shown to be somewhat beneficial in some.
Mini ivf with additional anesthésia and the medication around 13500
Describe Robert Boostanfar's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Dr. Boostanfar tailors his treatment to his individual patients. There is no “one fits all” principle and I can only express an opinion about my case, older age, max 2 to transfer since you don’t want add risk to mother and baby in case of multiples of higher number would be added. I had only 2 embryos but even if I had 3 still 2 would be transferred.
Encino

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC.

[HRC is] Organized, clean, compassionate - I saw a sign that said please don't bring kids to a certain floor as it is a trigger for others. Easy to schedule, billing is a breeze. They get back to you quickly and I had no issues...[The nurse is] So thorough with follow up. Quick to respond and she will always find a time to talk with Dr. March if she doesn't know the answers. Amazing, love her!...Hysteroscopy - with 3 weeks of the balloon placed along with estrogen before and after. He likes to use estrogen prior to the procedure so he can map your uterus. I wouldn't have a hysteroscopy without the estrogen prep! He is also saying No lupron or BCP prior to a FET for those with thin lining. Instead, start estrogen on Day 2! Nurse
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles March at HRC?
Dr. March always makes time for you, we never felt rushed and he provided detailed information about the procedure. He has the BEST bedside manner, literally sits on the bed with you and makes eye contact, very empathetic but also gives you a plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Adriana)
How was your experience with Charles March at HRC?
Dr. March used real life analogies like baseball and even war to help my husband understand our fertility better. He has a wonderful sense of humor while also exuding the utmost confidence in treatment that is specialized and tailored to ME. For example, he says things like "I like Lupron and Lupron is fine for an FET but I don't like it for YOU." It is things like this that make me trust that he is individualizing my care, unlike other REs who have used a one size fits all protocol at times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles March at HRC?
If you have Asherman's or thin lining contact him! If I lived in LA I would use him for IVF and I have even considered moving my embryos to him if my local REs don't agree on a protocol for me.
Describe the protocols Charles March used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles March at HRC.
My insurance covered the hysteroscopy. Not sure for IVF.
Describe Charles March's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
He likes PGS with Day 5 embryos and 1 transferred.
Charles March
Encino

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Charles March at HRC.

Our Care Coordinator [at HRC] is very thorough with our consultations with us and helps to further educate us on our process. She always promptly responds to my emails when I have questions and I appreciated that more than anything, she was always available...The clinic employs friendly staff who are available to answer questions, provide information, and go the extra mile to work with our insurance carrier. We appreciated the billing department's staff advocating for us with our insurance carrier and even providing invoices that they don't usually provide so that my husband and I could be reimburse through our insurance company for certain treatment procedures.
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Peck at HRC?
Dr. Peck was very thorough with her visits with us and always made sure we understood every step of our process, she was compassionate, patient, understanding, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly Solis)
Our Care Coordinator is very thorough with our consultations with us and helps to further educate us on our process. She always promptly responds to my emails when I have questions and I appreciated that more than anything, she was always available. During the time when we ordering our stimulation medications she went above and beyond to help our insurance cover the medications by writing a letter of medical necessity on our behalf very quickly and our medications were approved which was a huge help financially for us. We appreciate Kimberly sharing her own personal experiences with the treatments we were going through and telling me what to expect during the process.
How was your experience with Alison Peck at HRC?
From the beginning of our process with Dr. Peck she has always taken the time to explain all information, including risks, and encouraged us to make our decisions regarding our treatment based on the information she provided. I liked that she never pushed for a particular agenda with our treatment, she always provided information and let us (my husband and I) consult with each other and make our choices. I like that Dr. Peck is so patient, compassionate, and shares our triumphs us with which makes us feel like we are a team, instead feeling like it's us vs doctors. I've been very happy with her level of care during out IVF process which we are still in the middle of, we look forward to the next steps in our journey with Dr. Peck as our guide.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Peck at HRC?
Share any concerns you may have about treatment or your process with Dr. Peck so that she may provide you with information and knowledge to make the possible decision for you and your partner.
Describe the protocols Alison Peck used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
During our egg retrieval Dr. Peck adjusted possible dates and dosages of medications based on the growth of our follicles during the time I was taking stimulation medication. Towards the end of our cycle Dr. Peck monitored our progress very closely by having me do daily ultrasounds and blood draws. She took the time to explain the reason for my feeling so much discomfort and overall pain (high number of follicles developing), she explained the reasons for the delay during my egg retrieval and explained the benefits of waiting longer for egg retrieval (waiting until most of the follicles reached full maturity). We appreciated the close attention paid to our progress during our egg retrieval. During the day of our egg retrieval she came in and spoke to me and told me what to expect and even after the procedure she came in and provided us with our results and I truly appreciated her answering questions despite being very busy and treating multiple patients including ourselves.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Peck at HRC.
Embryo testing, PICSI, genetic counseling, and stimulation medications.
Describe Alison Peck's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
We have not completed a transfer cycle yet.
Alison Peck
Encino

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Alison Peck at HRC.

[HRC] understood my needs as a person and did not just treat me like I was a statistic for their office. For example, the doctor recommended a procedure and I was about to do the procedure but I had some concerns, so I decided to cancel even though I had already showed up. The doctor was completely fine with my decision and even called me that afternoon to see how I was feeling about it all. Another time, the doctor left me a 3 min long voicemail on a Friday afternoon to answer one of my questions that I had emailed a nurse about. Very considerate staff!
Describe your experience with HRC.
Communication and compassion are this clinic's strengths. Dr. Coffler and Angel the nurse stand out at this office because you can really tell they care, and they work directly with you on the details of your treatment. Also, this office has a small staff that knows what they are doing. They have a team who each knows their roles and you will see them doing it throughout your treatment. This office isn't in the nicest or newest building but that really wasn't an important factor for me. My previous doctor had a nice facility but poor communication and bedside manner. The opposite is true at HRC, and I was so happier and felt respected here because of that!
Although I did not necessarily see the doctor at each visit, I knew that he was actively involved in the management of my treatment. Communication was always prompt and the staff was always available to answer any questions. They understood my needs as a person and did not just treat me like I was a statistic for their office. For example, the doctor recommended a procedure and I was about to do the procedure but I had some concerns, so I decided to cancel even though I had already showed up. The doctor was completely fine with my decision and even called me that afternoon to see how I was feeling about it all. Another time, the doctor left me a 3 min long voicemail on a Friday afternoon to answer one of my questions that I had emailed a nurse about. Very considerate staff!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
Angel is an incredible nurse. She was a breath of fresh air compared to my previous RE's office! Angel was pleasant and kind. Angel was so easy to communicate with. She was available anytime by phone or email. I even emailed her while she was on vacation and another time on a Saturday and she responded the same day. Angel is one of the main reasons that I LOVED this clinic!
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Dr. Coffler sits down one-on-one with you and your partner during the initial consult. We had about 45 minutes with him to explain our fertility history and ask many questions. He did not rush us at all. He addressed our questions. He does not typically go into detail when communicating, so sometimes I felt like I had to ask more questions to understand at the level that I preferred. He wants to help and will answer any question, but he does seem busy and juggling a lot of things. Also Dr. Coffler is well respected in the community. When I had an HSG, I mentioned his name to the radiologist and she confidently said, "Oh, you'll get pregnant! You're in good hands."
If you need more information, just ask and tell him that. Email is an easy way to communicate with the staff and you can expect quick responses (usually within the same day).
We did medicated timed intercourse with monitoring. We started with the highest dose of Letrozole (which I had used in my previous cycle with another doctor) but I did not respond, so then Dr. Coffler prescribed Clomid at the lowest dose (which was my first time using). I responded to the Clomid and had a Ovidrel trigger shot. I ovulated (for the first time out of my 3 total cycles, two of which with another fertility specialist) but did not get pregnant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
With TRICARE Standard, my copay for a monitoring ultrasound and blood work was $100. Most everything else with my medicated timed intercourse was covered.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
2 cycles canceled [at HRC] due to being put on "standard protocol" and not accounting for age / typical cycle data, and more-or-less ignoring the evolved industry best practices (i.e., recommending multiple embryo transfer, 14+ days of estrogen exposure prior to progesterone). Also, tried to do some wonky thing where, even though I'd already paid a flat fee (Shared Hope cycle) that covered my portion of the donor's medications, the clinic attempted to charge the full donor medication prescriptions to my insurance.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Nice facility in a great location. Will work with outside monitoring facilities for out of state patients. Seem a bit disconnected from a financial aspect; requires full cycle payment (FET) up front, despite benefits / insurance coverage. Financial people don't communicate well and were lousy at being able to check my insurance benefits - told me I had no coverage when I knew I did. Just constantly had to micromanage them despite my desire for them to be more proactive about my care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Potter at HRC?
2 failed cycle attempts so far. Both were avoidable. When I asked why I wasn't given Lupron in the luteal phase, to prevent early follicle recruitment, was told "that's not the doctor's standard protocol." So, I lost my chance at a fresh transfer cycle. When my 2nd cycle was canceled for lining thickness, I asked why I went a whole 2nd week on estrogen when my lining was already a good thickness at day 7 monitoring appointment. Again, I was told that it's Dr. Potter's standard protocol to do at least 14 days of estrogen. So far, the "standard protocols" aren't working for me. And some of the standard protocols explained ahead of time - like 2 embryos transferred when no genetic testing is done - aren't even industry best practice any more. Case studies indicate that live birth rates plateau once a patient has at least 9 days of exposure to estrogen; birth rates begin to decline at 13+ days. 3 days of bed rest after transfer is also his standard protocol, and a practice no longer recommended. He just seems out of date and not willing to change or consider other courses of treatment. I really don't understand the point of monitoring at all if my treatment plan wouldn't be adjusted based on how my body is reacting to the medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie was very kind, compassionate and usually available. I would have to ask multiple times for basic things like schedules, monitoring orders (out of state monitoring patient). Would leave VM and have to follow up with her via email.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
If you want a laissez faire experience, Dr. Potter is great. You have 1 initial consult with him and never hear from him directly again - not even after 2 failed transfer cycles. He asked me a couple of questions, asked me what questions I had for him, and then told my nurse the next day what additional tests he wanted from me: Vitamin D and prolactin, mammogram, etc. I suppose that's more efficient, but it's better to talk to your patient about why you want those tests done. I went and had labs drawn as requested, but I was taking 5000 IUs of Vitamin D, and had told someone on his staff before - thus, it was in my chart.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Potter at HRC?
Talk to your patients. Customize treatments to get the best results. When you're dealing with donor eggs, understand the bulk of your clientele aren't young. Consider that when conceiving of your new standard protocols. Consider industry best practice (elective single embryo transfers) before handing out orders through your nurses. 2 embryos just has a greater chance of multiple births, it's no longer considered an industry best practice.
Describe the protocols Daniel Potter used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
20cc of lupron starting on Day 3 of birth control pills. Early follicle recruitment, failed. 20cc of lupron starting after confirmed ovulation; Cut down to 10cc on day 10 Day 10, start estradiol valorate .2cc every 3 days Result: uterine lining too thick on day 14 to see feathering effect. cycle canceled. 10 days of progesterone to "reboot".
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
$6500 for embryo transfer cycle - had to pay all up front, regardless of in-network insurance benefits.
Describe Daniel Potter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Was told that if I didn't pay &gt;$2000 out-of-pocket for genetic testing, Dr. Potter would want to transfer multiple embryos as "part of his standard protocol". I said no.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
HRC is very professional and has a hands on approach with their clients. The wait time can be long, but it’s because they are spending valuable personal time with each patient. ... Deanne [nurse] has been my rock and saving grace through this whole process. She answered every phone call and email with compassion, expertise, and care. She consoled me when I was crying and disappointed, boosted me up when I needed it, and guided me through the entire cycle.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC is very professional and has a hands on approach with their clients. The wait time can be long, but it’s because they are spending valuable personal time with each patient. I never was upset about this because I knew they would be giving me the same attention and care.
Dr. Norian took an enormous amount of time to sit with, discuss, and teach my husband and I about the available options. I have never felt like a number or a paycheck for him. I especially love my nurse coordinator, Deanne. She is amazing!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Deanne)
Deanne has been my rock and saving grace through this whole process. She answered every phone call and email with compassion, expertise, and care. She consoled me when I was crying and disappointed, boosted me up when I needed it, and guided me through the entire cycle.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian has great bed side manners and spends every appointment with you. He does every ultrasound and reviews results with you every time you go in. He answers questions in a knowledgeable but patient friendly way. He is blunt and to the point, so he does not sugar coat anything which can be emotional but I appreciated so I did not ever have too high of hopes/positivity for things. I always had a realistic view of everything that was going to happen and what the possibly outcomes could be.
Ask ALL the questions and do not be afraid to speak your mind.
Aggressive IUI, hoping to turn into IVF since I started with only 1 follicle and a low estrogen and AMH level. My protocol was Menopur 225 (3) and Gonal F 225 for the first 10 days. Was supposed to add Centrotide on day 6 if I had been responding well, which I wasn’t so we continued with the original dosage until day 8, but I am still not responding well. Continuing until day 10 and then deciding if we will continue with IUI or cancel the cycle.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Norian at HRC.

The clinic [HRC- Encino] is on busy Ventura Boulevard. There is parking at the building, but it is pricey. I wish there validated for the attached parking, but you have to self-pay. The clinic itself is nicely decorated....I am an out of state patient, which can make things more difficult. His staff helped every step of the way.... They do offer a military/veteran discount, which is very nice!
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is on busy Ventura Boulevard. There is parking at the building, but it is pricey. I wish there validated for the attached parking, but you have to self-pay. The clinic itself is nicely decorated. I have been to others with shabby chairs and 1990 decor, but HRC is modern and clean. Each appointment I had in the Encino office, there was minimal wait time, if any at all. All of the staff from the front desk, phlebotomists, and nurses are all friendly and kind. Billing can be a little bit confusing. My case is likely unique with extra charges and additional procedures. They do offer a military/veteran discount, which is very nice!
Dr. Boostanfar and his staff are warm and take time to explain every step of the process. I am an out of state patient, which can make things more difficult. His staff helped every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Bahar)
My nurse, Bahar, was highly communicative and on top of every med, symptom, and appointment. She gave me her personal contact to reach out to anytime I needed her. She has been amazing!
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Boostanfar is direct. I am an educated, self-advocating patient and he took that into account when explaining why he chose a particular protocol for retrieval and transfer. He was very compassionate when I miscarried and is determined to get me to my goal.
I would say meet him and let his expertise guide you.
My cycle before finding Dr. B was a complete failure where I made no blasts. I was a low responder. Instead of jacking up my FSH, Dr. B suggested micro dose Lupron and HGH. I had 5 embryos sent off for testing and 2 came back normal. For my transfer, he tried an out of the box protocol including an HCG injection, Neupogen uterine wash, vaginal viagra, intrilipids. It worked in terms of getting me pregnant.
Due to travel and additional testing needed, I've likely spent $30K
Encino

There were two occasions I sat in the waiting room [HRC] for over an hour because they were behind. It’s tough to put up with this because I was working and had to make up my time at work. So waiting was stressful. I wish they would have notified me to come in a little later and that would have made all the difference. ... The laboratory nurse was pretty good about getting my blood drawn right away.
Describe your experience with HRC.
I believe that this clinic does a fantastic job at what they do. I feel that our setbacks are because of our diagnosis or lack therefore. I think there are somethings we just won’t ever understand about our fertility with DOR and a family history of male infertility on my husband’s side of the family. There are just some people that have a higher success rate than we do. I wish that Dr. Norian could have spent some more time explaining things to us. And maybe that will come later during a follow up consultation if this is a failed cycle. Another weakness is that the clinic is so busy. There were two occasions I sat in the waiting room for over an hour because they were behind. It’s tough to put up with this because I was working and had to make up my time at work. So waiting was stressful. I wish they would have notified me to come in a little later and that would have made all the difference.
Dr. Norian was super busy, and I didn’t feel like he could spend time with us to answer questions. He was very rushed trying to get through patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Deanne)
Deanne spent most of the time of our visit with us explaining medication and appointments. She also seemed to be rushed. I made about two phone calls to her and the call went to voice mail each time. It was best to communicate with her via email. The laboratory nurse was pretty good about getting my blood drawn right away.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
I came in already having been treated elsewhere so my diagnosis was done outside of this clinic. I don’t feel that I learned anything new being under his care. He seemed to be a very skilled doctor from the times we met with him. The medical treatment was not unlike our other experiences.
Make sure to have your questions written so that when you get time to talk to the doctor you will not forget what you wanted to ask.
We did Gonal F 225mg and Menopur 225mg-300mg for 9 days. Novarel on day 10 and Cetrotide for 5 days. Doxycline a day before the retrieval for 5 days. We started a few meds a day after egg retrieval that included progesterone in oil, endometrin, estradiol, Medrol dose pack. I would have liked a rationale for using this protocol from the doctor but mostly the nurse would just tell me what we were doing with not too much explanation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
Procedure was like $12k. Medication was about $6k.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
You will be a number in a revolving door. We got to our appointment 20 minutes early with everything filled out and still didn't get called until an hour after our appointment time. We didn't feel that we were anything but a number and checkbook to them [HRC]. ... Our biggest issue was the billing. We could never get our insurance covered when I talked to them multiple times. I had to send in my authorization of services 3 times.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
You will be a number in a revolving door. We got to our appointment 20 minutes early with everything filled out and still didn't get called until an hour after our appointment time. We didn't feel that we were anything but a number and checkbook to them.
He was crass and said comments that disturbed us.He didn't look us in the eye. He didn't know anything about us or take the time to try. His office would never get back to us with questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
Our nurse was super nice and we felt really comfortable with her but once the billing issues started I never heard from her again. Called and emailed with no response.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
My husband and I agree we would never go back there even if he was the only doctor covered by our insurance. Which we were told he was. He was so rude to us. Then his office tells us that the $10000 worth of tests he ordered would be cash payment when we have insurance coverage. But they couldn't figure that out over 4 months so even though I called and emailed dozens of times I never got to move forward. He tried to charge us almost 4 times what the average cost of a cash test was at all the other clinics ($1900 for a hysteroscopy vs $500 at most OC clinics). I do not, can not, and will not ever recommend him or his clinic. Save your money, energy and emotional stability and go elsewhere.
Look elsewhere. There are more compassionate doctors who won't make you feel like a slug on the ground.
We didn't get this far because even though we had an approved referral for a service he wouldn't bill our insurance and said we had to pay cash. But every time I talked to insurance or my healthcare group they said he was covered and our only option.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
Extremely high. Yes infertility treatments are expensive but even my obgyn seemed to think it was astronomical so I called other clinics in the area. When I told them the price I was quoted they said to run away from there because that was robbery.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Daniel Potter at HRC.

It's a very well organized clinic. They can get busy later in the day but I usually book the earliest appointment available and I haven't had any issues with waiting too long. The financial department was slightly slower in responding to my questions when comparing to the rest of their staff. ... I was able to book my monitoring appointments at my convenience, so I made the appointments for as soon as they opened and it seemed smooth to me.
European, Latino, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with HRC.
I appreciated her being so matter of fact with us. Our previous fertility doctor was nice but also seemed to not give us the guidance we were looking for and Dr. Frederick has given us the guidance and confidence with this process. She met with me prior to egg retrieval and shared "Don't worry, I will take very good care of you" and that stuck with me, it was what I needed to hear, her confidence.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
Liz was compassionate and a great communicator. She encouraged questions and took her time with us when going over protocol and medications. It felt like she genuinely cared about us.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Dr. Frederick is compassionate and direct and that's two qualities I definitely want in a fertility doctor. She has a confidence that also makes me feel that I am in good hands. In comparison to a previous doctor I was seeing, I felt I was always questioning him and advocating for myself, with Dr. Frederick I feel she hears me and is accessible.
You'll be in good hands with Dr. Frederick.
Describe the protocols Jane Frederick used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
I began with birth control on my 3rd day of my menstrual cycle and about 5 weeks later of all active birth control pills I stopped taking it. Had a baseline appointment to go over medications and any other questions I may have had. 5 days later I began Follistim 375IU and Menopur 1 vial for 10 days each at 7:30pm. I visited the doctor's office 3 times for ultrasound and blood lab. I started Ganirelix at 7am for 4 days on day 6 of medications. Had my 3rd, last appointment before egg retrieval which was 4 days later and reviewed medications and expectations for egg retrieval day. I took Ovidrel 35 hours before scheduled egg retrieval and began doxycycline (antibiotic) 1 day before egg retrieval. They were able to retrieve 24 eggs. 17 of those eggs were mature and 17 eggs were successfully fertilized. 14 embryos came from the 17 and our final number after PGS was 7 embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
I believe it's more expensive than other clinics, however, what Dr. Frederick has provided to my husband and I is definitely worth it.
n/a, embryo transfer will be happening in June 2019

IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
For transferring embryos to the clinic [HRC], medications, and one FET cycle, the cost was about $7,000...The Fullerton location only handles office visits and blood work. Actual transfers take place at the Newport Beach office. The first half-hour of parking is free, then paid thereafter. Even if you come for quick labs first thing in the morning, you will wait well beyond your appointment time. The staff, though not great with time management or responding to emails, is very nice.
European, Middle Eastern
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
Dr. Ghazal was unavailable via email or phone and when asked questions regarding treatment lashed out with personal attacks against me instead of simply answering questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalija Matic)
The staff is very pleasant but it's hard to get a timely response from the Fullerton office. Nearly every email I sent (email was their requested/preferred form of contact) took a week of waiting and at least one additional follow up phone call to get a reply. It was incredibly frustrating and I was made to feel like a nuisance. They also were very quick to pass the blame instead of taking responsibility when something wasn't done correctly.
What specific things went wrong at HRC?
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
Dr. Ghazal was peaches and cream sweet during my first appointment, but due to the nature of our infertility and embryo adoption, my husband and I had questions and needed clarification so we scheduled a second appointment. I've never been treated so rudely nor have I been so personally attacked by a doctor. I left the office in tears and my husband was furious. I received word about 2 weeks later that she was no longer employed by HRC and that our file was being transferred to Dr. Frederick in the Newport Beach office, who performed our transfer as schedule, unfortunately not resulting in a pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
Don't be her patient. Run away. Run far, far away.
Describe the protocols Sanaz Ghazal used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Starting with a week of Birth Control, then Lupron injections combined with alternating Estradiol and PIO injections, accompanied by Baby Aspirin daily. 5 days before transfer I started a prednisone pack.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sanaz Ghazal at HRC.
For transferring embryos to the clinic, medications, and one FET cycle, the cost was about $7,000.
Describe Sanaz Ghazal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Dr. Ghazal did not perform our transfer; however, we had discussed transferring two embryos due to the quality of the embryos and my age (which we ultimately did).
Sanaz Ghazal
Fullerton

They [HRC] follow the ARSM guidelines [for Eset]... I wish they had earlier office appt slots (I think the earliest appt for monitoring was 8:15). I also wish the ultrasound tech was an RN or PA/NP so they could give you live analysis of what they are seeing during monitoring appointments. I did mention this and Angel [nurse] was nice enough to sit in on my key monitoring appts in order to fill me in right then on what was seen (helped manage my anxiety in the midst of the ivf process)
Describe your experience with HRC.
Small clinic and it’s nice getting to know every employee really well. I wish they had earlier office appt slots (I think the earliest appt for monitoring was 8:15). I also wish the ultrasound tech was an RN or PA/NP so they could give you live analysis of what they are seeing during monitoring appointments. I did mention this and Angel was nice enough to sit in on my key monitoring appts in order to fill me in right then on what was seen (helped manage my anxiety in the midst of the ivf process)
Very small office where you always see the same providers and office staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
Angel was amazing. Knowledge, organized, kind, and laid back.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Dr Coffler is a very skilled physician. I had previous fertility doctors that struggled to get catheters in during procedures and Dr Coffler never once had a problem and I always felt at ease with his expertise. He is to the point/straightforward, but still cares/is compassionate.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and advocate for yourself
I believe I had the antagonist protocol (Lupron and birth control pills leading up to injectables of menopur and gonal F-low doses-adding in the drug that prevents ovulation half way through). When I did ivf, they pretty much recommend everyone do PGT testing and ICSI (I was pretty young at the time and none of the other ivf clinics were recommending I do PGT, but this clinic did so we went along with it). They do a quick PGT test though where you get results within 24 hours so you can still do a fresh transfer. I wish I would have advocated more For myself that first round where they did the fresh transfer as my estrogen was still high and I’m pretty sure that’s why my first fresh PGS normal embryo failed to implant. Looking back, I really wish I would have waited and done a frozen embryo transfer instead of fresh. Luckily, our second embryo transfer, a FET with another PGS normal was successful and led to my now 11 month old son.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
Mine was all out of pocket, but when comparing to other clinics in the area, it was one of the most affordable overall. I will say that there frozen embryo yearly storage fees are almost double others.
They follow the ARSM guidelines.

1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [HRC] does not manage time or patients well. There is not a realistic timeline to see the dr and you have to wait a long time to get in. They are also terrible at returning calls and still owe me a considerable amount of money from a reimbursement my insurance company already sent them. This clinic is terrible. If you want to be treated like a number and you have endless amounts of money to waste and you don’t want a doctor that cares, this might be the place for you.
1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic does not manage time or patients well. There is not a realistic timeline to see the dr and you have to wait a long time to get in. They are also terrible at returning calls and still owe me a considerable amount of money from a reimbursement my insurance company already sent them. This clinic is terrible. If you want to be treated like a number and you have endless amounts of money to waste and you don’t want a doctor that cares, this might be the place for you.
He never took the time to get to know us and often kept us waiting for hours to see him. The first time we waited an hour and a half and the second time it was two and a half hours. His office insisted he was on his way the whole time, when we did meet with him it was only 15 min to say ivf will never work for you try an egg donor. All he wanted was the money and we were just a number. He was horrible at making us feel heard or understood. Once he saw my results he was basically like see ya, you’re never going to make it so I don’t want to prioritize you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC.
The nursing staff tried their best to makeup for where Dr potter lacked. You could tell they were afraid of upsetting their boss, he frequently blamed them for why he was late or why they didn’t communicate correctly. They seem like nice people who try but again they treated me like I was just a number they could get money out of.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Dr. Potter keeps all his patients waiting for hours on end. The waiting room is always filled with people waiting for him with no end in sight. When he meets with you he promises you the moon on the first visit. Then once he sees your results he doesn’t care to support you in the next step and quite honestly showed zero compassion or empathy for the shocking news we received. You can tell he’s in it for the numbers and the money and will move on to the next gullible patient who’s willing to pay an extreme amount of money for poor care.
Do your research and find another doctor who will actually care about making your dreams come true. HRC is like a factory trying to squeeze everyone and has zero personal attention for patients.
Dr potter recommended an egg donor as the only resort for us to get pregnant. He didn’t provide any other solutions and sai this was the only way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
$2000 just for initial consultation and bloodwork.
Fullerton

Results were not relayed in a timely manner. ... The office was clean. But I could tell by other patients there that having an appointment did not mean you would be seen in a timely fashion. Seems you would wait at least 30 min or longer in some cases. For me I had to wait 20 min for my first appointment for just a consultation ... ... The nurses [HRC] weren’t very helpful in getting information back to me, or asked me if I understood everything the doctor was saying.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The office was clean. But I could tell by other patients there that having an appointment did not mean you would be seen in a timely fashion. Seems you would wait at least 30 min or longer in some cases. For me I had to wait 20 min for my first appointment for just a consultation.
Results were not relayed in a timely manner. The nurses weren’t very helpful in getting information back to me, or asked me if I understood everything the doctor was saying. I wish they could have given me written information regarding my lab results, instead Dr. Norian called me once and basically just recommended IVF. I never heard back again afterwards, therefore I decided it would be best to go elsewhere where I felt more comfortable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC.
I can’t remember my nurses name, she was I believe if Indian ethnicity. She appeared to just do her job and had zero effort on being pleasant. She barely spoke unless it was just to answer me. I felt like I was pulling information out of her instead of her being a resource for me.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian was polite, very knowledgeable, but I also felt like he had a lot of other things going on in the office, like his attention could not be 100% committed to my care. It could be more helpful if he were able to give more educational handouts on whatever diagnosis he had for my care because a lot of times I couldn’t remember everything he was saying.
Write everything down.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
I was still covered by my insurance for “diagnostic” treatments, so I didn’t have to pay at first. Later I would end up paying for an HSG he ordered through another Facility.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Norian at HRC.

From our one experience with the one doctor, it felt like he might be ok for someone with a simple fertility issue that responds to basic protocols for treatment....On the upside, they [HRC West LA] take insurance and are adept at working with insurance companies’ protocols....Because they work with insurance, I believe we paid a little over $2000 for the entire process....Our primary nurse was very nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with HRC.
From our one experience with the one doctor, it felt like he might be ok for someone with a simple fertility issue that responds to basic protocols for treatment. Anything other than that and he’s not refining the treatment to the specific needs of the patient nor was he knowledgeable of current information in fertility (such as triggering earlier for AMA because the eggs mature more quickly). On the upside, they take insurance and are adept at working with insurance companies’ protocols.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Tourgeman at HRC?
At the initial consultation, he was friendly and seemed like he would work with the recommendations provided by our previous provider (Dr. Baek). While he did use her initial recommended protocols (which were admittedly different from his), he never adjusted them throughout the cycle and each time I was seen for ultrasound, I felt more and more like I was just being herded through the process. I’d ask questions that he wouldn’t answer and was dismissive of my concerns that he was overcooking (i.e. too much meds and too long) the eggs. At the end of the cycle, when none of the eggs were good (all overcooked), he told us it was just chance as to whether we’d get a good cycle if we tried again. There was no attention to fine-tuning the process or individualizing it. We were very disappointed. The only reason we tried him instead of going back to Dr. Baek (who was successful in helping us get pregnant years earlier) is because our insurance covered the majority of the treatment at HRC and money was tight. We were very disappointed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Yes (but I don’t recall her name... maybe Wendy?))
Our primary nurse was very nice and helpful.
What specific things went wrong at HRC?
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC?
At the initial consultation, he was friendly and seemed like he would work with the recommendations provided by our previous provider (Dr. Baek). While he did use her initial recommended protocols (which were admittedly different from his), he never adjusted them throughout the cycle and each time I was seen for ultrasound, I felt more and more like I was just being herded through the process. I’d ask questions that he wouldn’t answer and was dismissive of my concerns that he was overcooking (i.e. too much meds and too long) the eggs and felt more condescending at each visit, dismissing my concerns with “I’m not going to overcook the eggs” (despite doing exactly that). At the end of the cycle, when none of the eggs were good (all overcooked due to too much medication and for too long a time), he told us it was just chance as to whether we’d get a good cycle if we tried again. There was no attention to fine-tuning the process or individualizing it. We were very disappointed. The only reason we tried him instead of going back to Dr. Baek (who was successful in helping us get pregnant years earlier) is because our insurance covered the majority of the treatment at HRC and money was tight.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Tourgeman at HRC?
if you want someone who is going to fine-tune your medication regimen to your individual needs, go elsewhere.
Describe the protocols David Tourgeman used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
While he was willing to use the initial treatment protocol we’d received in our consultation with Dr. Baek (which was admittedly different from what he would have done), he never adjusted it throughout the cycle and triggered much too late. The eggs were all overcooked (which he attributed to age and chance) and took no responsibility for his part in the ineffectiveness of the cycle. I was very concerned that he didn’t seem to have any interest in refining his approach for future cycles. We would have gone through the exact same regimen again with similar failed results. It did not appear he was up-to-speed on current approaches for refining IVF treatments to the individual needs of the patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC.
David Tourgeman
West Los Angeles

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Tourgeman at HRC.

As a whole they are amazing. From dealing with the front desk to the nurses to talking to dr and financial advisors. I never had any issues with anyone or anything with HRC Rancho Cucamonga. They get back to within a good time whether it’s emailing or calling. The entire staff is very professional as well. ... I really appreciate the empathic approach they have especially when infertility is a complete roller coaster of emotions.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr Norian is very straight forward but also empathetic to the needs and wants of his patient.
Extremely friendly and comforting. They try to help you to the best of their knowledge and if they don’t know an answer they’ll direct you to someone that does know.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
At first I was extremely nervous about what to expect from a fertility specialist and honestly expecting the worst outcome, that being that I won’t be able to have children with and without treatment. Dr Norian and his team put all those fears and worries to rest. The nurses are very comforting and friendly. Dr Norian was also comforting along with delivering the truth about my condition and treatments that would help us conceive. I really appreciate the empathic approach they have especially when infertility is a complete roller coaster of emotions.
Don’t be shy. If you have questions make sure to write them down before the consultation. The information given at the appointment can be extremely overwhelming and you might forget some of the important questions you have. He’s very open and understanding so don’t be afraid to ask about anything on your mind.
My Fallopian tubes are no longer connected after a surgery. Dr Norian suggested FET IVF and gave us all the statistics relating to it and said I’d be a great candidate but being that I’m going to be 35 soon we need to start right away. He gave me an ultrasound which we found a small polyp and soo I was referred back to my OB to get that removed before we could move forward. We were able to remove it but unable to go back for treatment due to the fact my husband is military and was sent to Korea for a year.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
We have insurance that cover consultation and some fertility medications. I’m unsure of the costs.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Norian at HRC.

The staff [HRC] are very friendly especially the financial people. The in house acupuncture is also great. I still see Pei-Jen even though I've switched clinics for treatment. It's nice that the egg retrievals are done in the same location and you can get parking validated if you buy something at the cafe downstairs. ... Acupuncture is 100 a visit. The IVF cycle came to around 25,000 ... Trey [nurse] was inconsistent in her communication. Sometimes great and sometimes she'd go MIA. She was kind and encouraging but not super helpful in terms of the actual medical side of things.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The staff are very friendly especially the financial people. The in house acupuncture is also great. I still see Pei-Jen even though I've switched clinics for treatment. It's nice that the egg retrievals are done in the same location and you can get parking validated if you buy something at the cafe downstairs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Feinman at HRC?
The staff were always very kind and the office never felt overcrowded or hectic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Trey Shade)
Trey was inconsistent in her communication. Sometimes great and sometimes she'd go MIA. She was kind and encouraging but not super helpful in terms of the actual medical side of things. I was given incorrect needles for the instructions I was given, she didn't know how to use a Q-cap for the menapur (she would try and pop it out instead of putting it on the vial then releasing the packaging), and a few other glitches.
What specific things went wrong at HRC?
How was your experience with Michael Feinman at HRC?
During our consultation Dr. Feinman told us there was nothing you could do to affect the quality of your eggs, they are what they are and nothing will change that not even drinking and smoking! He also had a coffee mug that said his medical degree trumps your google search. I should have gone with my gut but I just wanted to get started. He was nice enough during the visits if not seemingly little annoyed if I asked questions. The end result was that there were no normal embryos. He had no intention of changing protocol. I wasn't allowed to speak to the lab. I was given no information as to their grading or what abnormalities.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Feinman at HRC?
If you are young and have plenty of healthy eggs you will probably be fine but his one size fits all approach is not a fit for older women or women with special circumstances.
Describe the protocols Michael Feinman used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Clomid, Follistim, Ganerelix and Menopur. I was given no insight as to how or why.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Feinman at HRC.
Acupuncture is 100 a visit. The IVF cycle came to around 25,000
Michael Feinman
Encino

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Feinman at HRC.

European, Latino, Middle Eastern
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is gorgeous! one of the reasons I picked it was that I wanted to to be in a beautiful environment while undergoing this difficult process and HRC-Pasadena is stunning. The staff is very friendly and usually respond quickly. The waiting room is nice and cozy. Some hours it is packed and others not so much so you have to learn the flow if you'd rather avoid people. They are usually on-time, we have only had to wait around extensibly once out of the 20+ times we have been there. The pharmacy they work with is exceptional as well. Some of the weaknesses are that at times it has taken a certain staff member over three days to respond to important messages with time-sensitive questions. They resolved that by assigning someone else to our care but it was a bit frustrating at the time. Another one would be that there are signs that ask people to try not to bring children in the clinic as it can be difficult for some people, but there are days where there's lots of kids. Sometimes families with 4+ children which definitely deflates the spirit. I think staying open a bit later would be helpful as well.
The Nurses and staff at the clinic are amazing. Nurse Connie has been wonderful throughout the process. We are undergoing our second round of IUI and she has supported us through and has answered every question we've had. Other staff have not been so quick to respond which was difficult at times but once Connie became my contact person everything has been smooth sailing. Doctor's schedule tend to get a bit crammed/limited, especially if he is planning to be out of town. The pharmacy they use is incredible and the office is beautiful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Consuelo Hernandez)
Connie has been absolutely amazing throughout the entire process. She is very responsive and one of the kindest people I have met and love that she got assigned to us. She always makes me smile and helps easy the anxiety when my husband and I are there for procedures. She is so compassionate and knows exactly what to say. She has actually been the highlight of my experience at this clinic.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Dr. Nelson comes across as genuine and kind. He has wonderful bedside manner and has always answered my questions with compassion and care. He seems very confident in what he does yet he has a calming presence at the same time (doesn't seem arrogant or stuck-up). Only downside is that I haven't gotten to see him as often as I would have liked as he has been traveling. IUI #1 was done by him, but baseline and followup ultrasounds have been done by nurses in his absence. Same thing has been happening with round #2. He also doesn't answer emails personally, you have to wait for the nurse or someone else from the team to talk to him, and then they relay the message. I would prefer if it was actually a bit more of a doctor/patient direct exchange.
Make sure you write down questions and bring to consults where he will be so that you can ask the doctor directly when he is in the room rather than have to wait for others to relay messages back and forth.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
It is $2100 for IUI (includes ultrasounds, sperm washing, blood work if/when needed). It was about $450 for initial blood-work for STI and genetic testing which was sent to outside lab.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Regarding the clinic [HRC- Fullerton], there seems to be people switching into new roles often within the office. When it seems as if you are going to do a procedure right away, they are very responsive to emails and other forms of communication. Yet, it seems as though if your procedure is not happening for a few months, they take longer to respond to emails (if at all).... The cost of treatment is clearly delineated in their forms, so you are not going in blind. They have one of the best labs in the nation.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Weaknesses: They seem more responsive at the start of your process (consultation/diagnostic workup/treatment planning); yet if you wait a few months for the actual procedure, they seem less responsive to questions you might have. You can be on hold for a long time early in the morning. Financial people seem to change often. I would have preferred more direct contact with the RE to ask questions when they came to mind. Strengths include having a very well trained doctor (Dr. Ghazal) with great rates of success. The cost of treatment is clearly delineated in their forms, so you are not going in blind. They have one of the best labs in the nation.
Dr. Ghazal answered every single one of my questions each time I spoke with her. She has a great bedside manner and she makes it a point to answer your questions in a very detailed manner, so that there is no confusion. She listened to my struggle, and responded in a compassionate manner. I did not feel as though she was trying to rush me out of her office.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalijia)
Regarding the clinic, there seems to be people switching into new roles often within the office. When it seems as if you are going to do a procedure right away, they are very responsive to emails and other forms of communication. Yet, it seems as though if your procedure is not happening for a few months, they take longer to respond to emails (if at all).
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
Strengths: Dr. Ghazal is highly trained and has a lot of great experience in the field and she has the highest fertility rates in the clinic. When you ask her a question, she is straightforward, authentic, and detailed. When she shared information that I considered bad news for me, she was compassionate and did it in such a way that made me feel that there was hope for my situation. The only downside is that I did not get much contact with her and everything is communicated through her nurses and coordinators. Yet, when she did meet with you over the phone or in-person, she made you feel as though she was present with you and not trying to rush off to the next patient.
If you want a doctor who will be available by phone or text or more available, Dr. Ghazal is not the one.
Because I am an older person, with great eggs but with numerous complications with my uterus, the goal was to try to go slightly more aggressive with my medications, so that I can produce a lot more eggs for my egg retrieval, in the hopes that when the eggs are fertilized, I can get the most genetically normal embryos possible. Then I would freeze these embryos, fix the problems with my uterus, and then do a frozen embryo transfer. The goal is to be successful in maintaining a pregnancy and reducing the chances of miscarriage. I believe the drug protocol is similar for most IVF cycles, just the dosage may be different. The overall goal is to have one successful IVF cycle with great outcomes in regard to have a number of genetically normal embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sanaz Ghazal at HRC.
For one cycle of IVF, including genetic screening of any embryos, and freezing embryos, I was looking at a bill around $21,000 out of pocket. This estimate also includes the price of fertility medications for the one cycle. You can also tack on an additional $2000 to 3000 for diagnostic procedures conducted prior to treatment planning. These are all out of pocket costs.
My doctor had a strong preference for single embryo transfer, primarily because there is a higher success rate for a single embryo transfer. Also, she explained that if you place more than one embryo into the uterus, you never know whether one of those embryos will split and produce twins and triplets. So she wants to reduce the chance of multiple unexpected growing babies.
Sanaz Ghazal
Fullerton

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC.

3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Overall very happy with the clinic [HRC Encino]. Clean, short waits, professional staff and many services offered. Prices seem in line with other clinics as well. Didn't get great results on my first attempt, but hopeful that with a tweaked protocol will improve.... She [nurse] is great at going through and explaining what to expect and what comes next, as well as answering any questions that you may have forgotten to ask the doctor. Patient and professional, and seems to really care about my success.
3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with HRC.
Overall very happy with the clinic. Clean, short waits, professional staff and many services offered. Prices seem in line with other clinics as well. Didn't get great results on my first attempt, but hopeful that with a tweaked protocol will improve.
Consultations go pretty quickly, with not a lot of extraneous information given. He is very friendly and professional, but doesn't spend a lot of extra time going over results or the WHY of things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Bahereh)
She is great at going through and explaining what to expect and what comes next, as well as answering any questions that you may have forgotten to ask the doctor. Patient and professional, and seems to really care about my success.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
He is warm and friendly, but on the move. He gives you the essential information and answers any questions, but doesn't spend a lot of time explaining why he's choosing the protocol he's choosing or going over what to expect. Unless you know what to ask, I feel like it would be easy to leave without some information. The nurse that is helping me fills that role instead.
Have a list of questions ready. He is very knowledgable but gives the impression of also being quite busy, and unless you ask questions the appointment will go very quickly and you may not get all the info you want. Overall, though, I think he knows what he is doing and is very good at what he does.
Microdose lupron, follistim and menopur. I don't know WHY these were chosen, other than I think my fibroids were taken into account with the lupron. I did not respond well, however, so we're changing the protocol next time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
Medication, monitoring, and the actual retrieval costs (anesthesia, etc), as well as the cost of freezing the eggs.
Encino

Everyone [HRC] is very nice. Appointments are a breeze - they either get you in early, or right on time. Surgical facilities are beautiful and the staff there is great. Just ask a lot of questions. Sometimes i felt rushed or unable to ask, or even felt like i was supposed to know things, when in reality i didn't know what was happening and why at certain times.... My care coordinator was a little robotic. Nice, but not super compassionate. Not a very good communicator - i had to chase via email for answers to a lot of things that were unclear.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Everyone is very nice. Appointments are a breeze - they either get you in early, or right on time. Surgical facilities are beautiful and the staff there is great. Just ask a lot of questions. Sometimes i felt rushed or unable to ask, or even felt like i was supposed to know things, when in reality i didn't know what was happening and why at certain times.
I definitely felt like a human - the Dr. and staff were very caring. I would have liked more explanation and details around my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Decline to answer)
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC?
He is very compassionate and nice. I can't complain about him or his care. I am a very analytical person, so would have liked to understand more of the "why"s around my course of treatment -- why one protocol vs. another, and whether or not that is due to his professional philosophies for treatment or due to my specific case.
Ask questions. If you feel rushed, slow it down.
They were never explained to me. At least, the rationale behind why. I don't know what my protocol was called, but i was on: Gonal-F 350/day Menopur - 1-2 vials, depending Added something else toward the end of sims Not sure what i triggered with First round, retrieved 5 eggs. 3 fertilized. All tested abnormal. No transfer 2nd round, retrieved 3 eggs. 1 fertilized. Never grew. No transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC.
First round with meds (and some insurance coverage) was roughly $15k.
Describe David Tourgeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
We never got to transfer, so we hadn't discussed it.
David Tourgeman
West Los Angeles

They [HRC Fullerton] are compassionate and apologetic for Dr. Potter’s consistent tardiness. They are proficient in their roles. Sometimes communication is great and sometimes it is very poor. For example, one time I had a time sensitive question, and did not get a response until the next day. I felt that it should not have been my responsibility to follow up, but had I not, I would not have gotten the information I needed....
Describe your experience with HRC.
Communication is adequate. Better than Dr. Potter’s response time. They are compassionate and apologetic for Dr. Potter’s consistent tardiness. They are proficient in their roles. Sometimes communication is great and sometimes it is very poor. For example, one time I had a time sensitive question, and did not get a response until the next day. I felt that it should not have been my responsibility to follow up, but had I not, I would not have gotten the information I needed.
With every encounter I had with Dr. Potter, he was at least 1+ hour late (consultation, surgeries, personal meetings). During our initial encounter (consultation) he failed to make eye contact, introduce himself, and the facility. We had selected him anyway, because he discussed a treatment plan that I felt was custom to my situation, and with that I was impressed. At one point, I intentionally called him out for being late, and I did not receive an apology, rather a poor excuse. Despite my dissatisfaction, I still proceeded with care as I told myself, I didn’t care about bedside manner as long as I had results. I also felt that I didn’t have a choice but to proceed as I had already made an out of pocket cash payment in full.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalija Matic )
Natalija was my care coordinator, but not a nurse. She was an ultrasound tech. She seemed skilled and knowledgeable in her role. However, I also felt she was “spread way too thin”. Her role overlapped with that of Dr. Potter. I think a lot of what should be his responsibility fell onto her lap, just simply because he didn’t have the time for it. I actually never worked with a nurse from the clinic (only surgery center) during my whole treatment there.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Strengths: intelligent, high success rates, skill Weakness: lack of compassion, lack of time, consistently late (staff members had even candidly shared this with me), poor response time, flat affect. Dr. Potter has opened a Infertility Clinic in China in the past year. As a result, I believe he is spread “way too thin”. Procedures and communication, that I believe should be done and or shared by an MD is instead done by his staff. Considering the amount of money I have paid to the clinic, I had higher expectations. For example, I had questions for Dr. Potter at one point and was told I could not communicate with him because he was in China. Another example, I had very sensitive PGS testing results, and his ultrasound tech delivered the results rather than him. Another time, I paid an additional $100 for a 15 minute meeting with him (in which he was an hour late for), regarding a treatment plan for which I had already paid $20k+ for. These instances made me feel that his primary interest was money making vs me as a patient.
He is an intelligent infertility specialist. However, do not expect that he will ever be on time, you will always wait at least an hour or more with every encounter with him. Do not expect hand-holding, or compassion. He is a bookish, matter-of-fact type. Communication in my opinion is poor.
I had a uterine septum Dr. Potter corrected prior to any egg retrievals or potential transfers, with good outcome. He initiated a insulin resistant/metformin protocol, even though my GTT yielded normal results. This was in response to me yielding a low number of eggs during the first retrieval. It did not improve the outcome for my second retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
Approx $20k for 2 retrievals, transfer, labs and US $2k for hysteroscopy/septal repair Approx $8-10k for medications
Fullerton

All of the nursing staff [HRC- Oceanside] is amazing. They make you feel comfortable and supported.... This clinic has the highest pregnancy rates in Orange County. I would recommend. Ask questions and advocate for your preferred method of treatment.... We did pretty much everything that could have been offered. ICSI, assisted hatching, PGS and PGD testing, and one extra procedure for our second egg retrieval to pick better sperm for ICSI.
Describe your experience with HRC.
This clinic has the highest pregnancy rates in Orange County. I would recommend. Ask questions and advocate for your preferred method of treatment. The doctor has great credentials and a great success rate. Nursing staff is excellent. Don’t be afraid to send emails at any time. You are not alone in feeling like you are asking silly questions and the staff never makes you feel like you are. I hope my next attempt at a frozen embryo transfer is a success. Will have an appointment to discuss what went wrong with our transfer on Friday.
The staff and technicians at the office are warm and easy to talk to. My IVF coordinator never made me feel like I was bothering her with questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
All of the nursing staff is amazing. They make you feel comfortable and supported.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
For blood work and ultrasounds he was only present for 2 appointments. I can tell he is passionate about his job and truly wants to succeed in getting couples a ‘take home baby’. Communication is sometimes hard due to his first language not being English. I would have liked to be informed more about my actual results. Ex: progesterone levels, follicle count, uterine lining
Ask questions and ask them directly.
We did 2 egg retrievals in order to bank as many embryos as possible prior to PGS/PGD testing. This was suggested to keep costs down and was the right choice as our first retrieval resulted in 0 normal embryos. Second round resulted in 2. Frozen embryo transfer was a standard protocol. Lupron, progesterone, estrogen. Resulted in a BFP then a chemical pregnancy. Still waiting to review what went wrong and what could have been changed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
We did pretty much everything that could have been offered. ICSI, assisted hatching, PGS and PGD testing, and one extra procedure for our second egg retrieval to pick better sperm for ICSI. Total cost associated with services approx $40,000
This doctor will only transfer one embryo. I would have liked to have the option to transfer 2 if we felt that was the right choice for us.
Oceanside

My issue is with the Financials team at the clinic. Twice they [HRC] said I did not sign something and then later found that I did. Also prior to starting any phase of the cycle, I ask them to provide a breakdown in costs. Each time I have to send one or two follow up emails before they respond.... The facility is very nice but extremely busy. If you have an appointment after 9am, prepare to walk into a full waiting room. I literally had nowhere to sit a few times. That said, the clinic is clean and well equipped.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr. Wilcox is extremely busy and it seems like he uses a similar ivf protocol for many patients. However, my egg retrieval progressed just as he had predicted without OHSS which was one of my biggest worries. While he is quick in and out, his team will definitely take time to answer questions if needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nanette V)
Nanette is great at explaining the process every step of the way. She responds quickly to emails and definitely provided a lot of peace of mind throughout. When she is out of office, her backup Ana is amazing too. They definitely go above and beyond!
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr. Wilcox is very capable and confident and has an impressive track record. Everything he told me to expect has happened during treatment (ie number of follicles to expect, predicted date of egg retrieval, etc). I trust that he will always prescribe the right protocol for me. However, I do wish he had more time to spend with his patients. Aside from our initial consultation, each appointment has lasted no more than 10 min and then he is rushing off to the next patient. I know this doesn’t compromise the level of care I’m receiving. Whether it results in a BFP for us, we will see in a few weeks once we transfer.
Have a list of questions that you want to ask ready to go at each appt.
Birth control pills for 18 days Ultrasound/bloodwork on CD2 Begin injections on CD3 Follistim 225 + Menopur 75 from CD3-6 Follistim 225 + Menopur 150 from CD7-9 Add in Ganirelix on CD8-9 Trigger with Lupron + HCG on CD10 Egg retrieval on morning of CD12
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
About $3K per IUI including injectable meds About $23K for IVF cycle including meds, ICSI, and PGS testing
N/A - currently awaiting number of day 5 blasts

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
HRC-Encino is warm and inviting. Every time I call, I am quickly transferred to where I need to be. They’re honest about their costs. Also, they call with results on time! My only complaint is expensive parking.... Kimberly is Dr. Peck’s nurse and is amazing! She will email me back about a nervous last minute question at 10pm on a weeknight! Shanise is another nurse who is the only person to get my vein on a first try. She’s also very friendly and nice to speak to
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr. Peck never wasted my time with multiple IUIs or rounds of clomid. She was honest about my chances instead of just going through the motions. Dr. Peck took the time to explain the entire situation and provide honest feedback.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly and Shanise)
Kimberly is Dr. Peck’s nurse and is amazing! She will email me back about a nervous last minute question at 10pm on a weeknight! Shanise is another nurse who is the only person to get my vein on a first try. She’s also very friendly and nice to speak to, which is very important. Currently, she is assisting with having me join a clinical study. She’s amazing at answering all my pressing questions, being open about what is needed for me to do, and flexible with her scheduling!
How was your experience with Alison Peck at HRC?
Dr Peck took time to ensure I received the care I needed and received the answers for the questions I asked. She was candid about our results and helpful with recommendations. She also took the time to qualify us for an IVF study, which may be helpful for us.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Peck is very sweet, but honest.
Dr. Peck originally recommended medicated cycles for anovulation. She also urged a semen sample and HSG prior to treatment. I’m so grateful that she did because I also have a blocked tube/my husband has poor morphology, motility, and DNA fragminatation. Knowing these results, she recommended IVF to save us time and money. Moreso, she recommended us to an IVF clinical trial, which will hopefully save us more money.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Peck at HRC.
300/ultrasound 80/bloodwork IUI/2,100
Alison Peck
Encino

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Alison Peck at HRC.

I was assigned an exceptional nurse, Claudia who guided me during the entire process [at HRC]. I was reminded by Claudia to trust the process because it works. The day of the frozen embryo transfer all nurses and staff were positive and encouraging. They created a positive environment in the surgery center...Dr. Frederick’s costs were better if you have more than one IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC in Newport Beach is a busy office. However, I never had to wait longer than five minutes for my appointment. The surgery center is exceptional. I especially want to recognize HRC’s lab because the Embryologists ensure the best environment and growth for embryos. I do not know the details but whatever they do, it works! We did genetic testing on all our embryos to ensure that we only transferred a healthy and normal embryo.
During the initial consultation she was very familiar with our reproductive profile and asked specific questions to get a better understanding of how she would help me get pregnant. She patiently answered all of my many questions. Every interaction with Dr. Frederick she said my name and knew the details of my progress.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Claudia Ascencio)
I was assigned an exceptional nurse, Claudia who guided me during the entire process. I was reminded by Claudia to trust the process because it works. The day of the frozen embryo transfer all nurses and staff were positive and encouraging. They created a positive environment in the surgery center and I believe that also contributes to Dr. Frederick’s success rates.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
I searched for a reproductive endocrinologist for two years and went to many initial consultations. Most fertility clinics in San Diego did not have great results for my age group, I am over age 35. Also, the labs were not great. For instance, at one lab in San Diego, I saw the Embryologist enter the fertility clinic through the public door wearing workout clothes. Then she put on a lab coat and entered the lab. In my opinion, that is not the best protocol for dealing with sensitive embryos. This is why I searched outside of San Diego. I also searched outside of California. I prayed to have a doctor like Dr. Frederick. Her expertise, professionalism and compassion far exceeds all other reproductive endocrinologists I have met. During the initial consultation she was very familiar with our reproductive profile and asked specific questions to get a better understanding of how she would help me get pregnant. She patiently answered all of my many questions. She exudes confidence and had a specific plan for us to be successful. Once we made our decision to continue with Dr. Frederick, the ENTIRE IVF process was smooth. I had two banking cycles before the frozen embryo transfer. This was recommended by Dr. Frederick to ensure greater success and she was correct. Both egg retrieval procedures were smooth. I did not experience any complications and minimal pain. Dr. Frederick’s techniques are exceptional. We transferred one embryo. Everything went smoothly and my husband and I were excited because we believed we were about to have our dream come true. I was on strict bed rest for three days and I started having pregnancy symptoms within one week. Ten days later I took a home pregnancy test and it immediately was positive. I was elated. I never seen a positive pregnancy test until that day. It was amazing. The day of the first pregnancy ultrasound Dr. Frederick showed us the baby and heartbeat. I immediately started crying. Amazing feeling seeing your baby’s heart beating and knowing that he or she is growing inside of you. The day of graduation from the fertility clinic, Dr. Frederick takes a picture with you. I started crying because I am so grateful to her for helping us experience our dream of having a baby. Currently, I am 10 weeks pregnant and baby is growing strong. We will go back to Dr. Frederick to have siblings for this baby. I recommend Dr. Frederick if you want to have a healthy baby. Her protocol and techniques work!
Pray and trust that you selected an excellent doctor. Dr. Frederick is experienced, professional and compassionate. She truly wants you to get pregnant and have a healthy baby. Trust her process, it works. I believe having a positive mindset will help in getting the results you want.
Because I am over age 35 and did not have many embryos at my first IVF cycle (with a different doctor), Dr. Frederick recommended two banking IVF cycles. She also recommended genetic testing and freezing embryos. This is to ensure she transfers a healthy normal embryo for a higher chance of success. Dr. Frederick recommended transferring one embryo because I had genetic testing. I used Gonal-F, Menopur, micro Lupron, Ganirelix, Lupron, Progesterone injections and suppositories, Estradiol, Doxycycline, Medrol
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
Dr. Frederick’s costs were better if you have more than one IVF cycle.
We agreed with Dr. Frederick to transfer a single embryo. We had our embryos genetically tested. We wanted the best success rate and agreed to transfer one embryo.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic [HRC Pasadena] was very beautiful and clean. The phlebotomists were always very nice and welcoming. Front desk was okay (could improve). There is no waiting so that was great. The ladies from financial department were also great...My nurse coordinator always seem upset or bothered when I would ask for updates and for her to explain in detail what was going on with my eggs. She many times would forget to send me updates on my cycle during stims. For example when to start/stop a certain medication ect.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic was very beautiful and clean. The phlebotomists were always very nice and welcoming. Front desk was okay (could improve). There is no waiting so that was great. The ladies from financial department were also great.
We were treated as a business transaction throughout the whole cycle. He also didn't perform the proper tests needed before starting our cycle and only went based on our age (27/30) giving us false hopes. I never got to see him the day of the egg retrieval or after. Never called even when we found out our cycle had failed and we had 0 embryos to transfer. He has no bedside manners. Wouldn't recommend him or his team.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
He has no bedside manners, he shows no compassion for his patients. The first consult is great but once you lock in the payment everything changes. I hardly saw him during my cycle and my follow up appt after failed cycle was only 5 minutes. He never explained to me about other alternatives.
To please not go based on yelp reviews. Dr. Wilcox treats many surrogates and that's a completely different scenario as surrogates never pay out of pocket. It's different when you are an actual infertility patient and you're only seen as a check.
Apparently he doesn't do fresh transfers, I was under gonal and menapour during stims. I had to and extra 5 days of stims and it was pointless and doing extra days can mess up the quality of the eggs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
I paid approximately $25,000 not including extra meds for pushing my egg retrieval and other basic blood tests needed in order to start cycle.
I didn't get to transfer.

2 IUI, IVF
conflicting information was provided to us [by at nurse at HRC], but was immediately corrected. There was a time when perscriptions weren't called in, but it didn't effect my treatment, just the price, unfortunately...Strengths include cleanliness. Weakness is that on some days, although your appointment is at 9 am, you won't be getting out of the clinic until 1030 or 11. This is due to how busy the clinic is. It makes it difficult to plan for when you have to take time off of work to make these morning appointments.
2 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr. Norian has always been very friendly and professional. Always made my husband and I feel very comfortable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I have a different coordinator for IVF, but am reviewing the coordinator I had for IUI. Michelle was very friendly. Unfortunately, she was difficult to understand while on the phone, in person, and though email. The language barrier was too difficult to overcome. She was very nice though. All the nursing staff at this clinic have been very friendly and compassionate.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian has been very helpful. Although our IUI attempts haven't been successful, we continue to go to him because we're confident in his work. He is always very friendly and when he says he'll call us, he does, which makes us feel very comfortable with him. The one negative thing I can say about Dr. Norian is that he is always VERY busy. So sometimes when we are seeing him he is trying to get off to another patient, which makes it a little uncomfortable when you're asking a lot of questions, since my husband and I are fertility newbies. Overall, I really like Dr. Norian, which is why we continue to see him.
Be prepared to wait past the time of your appointment.
Dr. Norian recommended two IUI attempts. If neither was successful, we would do IVF, which is what we are currently doing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
IUI attempt -- $2000 IUI meds -- ~$500 IVF attempt (insurance coverage included) -- ~$4000 IVF Medications (some medication covered by insurance) -- ~$5000 PGS -- $5500
Dr. Norian is always on the side for Singleton births, it seems. But always discusses with his patients their thoughts.

Tubal Blockage, Other
The clinic [HRC] was fine. My only problem was I was closest to the Westlake office but the doctor was only there in the mornings only. The afternoons he was in Encino so it made scheduling harder (especially since I worked nights). Also all the procedures (minus basic ultrasounds) were done in Encino so it was a bit of a drive for those. The offices themselves were nice and the rooms were nice.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic was fine. My only problem was I was closest to the Westlake office but the doctor was only there in the mornings only. The afternoons he was in Encino so it made scheduling harder (especially since I worked nights). Also all the procedures (minus basic ultrasounds) were done in Encino so it was a bit of a drive for those. The offices themselves were nice and the rooms were nice.
The doctor was great and very personable. However the medical team I did not feel like they made me feel like a human. I had to call them all he time to get results that were supposed to be called to me. They were not very kind during my miscarriages. It was frustrating.
They did not follow through with results, I had to constantly call. When I had my miscarriage they called me to come in for an ultrasound to check the baby (like I was still pregnant). They were not compassionate when telling me about my miscarriage after one of my blood tests. Overall it was a frustrating experience
What specific things went wrong at HRC?
How was your experience with Michael Feinman at HRC?
I loved the doctor. He was very upfront with his opinions and thoughts. He didn't sugar coat things. Sometimes I wish he would explain a few things in more detail but thats about my only complaint. He was very personable and I felt like he was invested in our situation.
Ask questions and don't let him dismiss you. Make sure you understand everything for your own piece of mind
I did three embryo transfers with donor eggs. The first cycle ended with a miscarriage early on. The second we switched the type of progesterone and it didn't end being enough so we got a negative pregnancy. We did a faux transfer after that to make sure my progesterone levels were good before doing our third transfer. I got pregnant on my third but unfortunately miscarried again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Feinman at HRC.
The initial cost for us was about $23,000 for the first cycle including meds (we used a donor, (this does not include the donor agency fees). After that not counting meds we paid about $2500 per transfer (and that was a military discount, I think the original price was around $3600).
Describe Michael Feinman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
He suggested a single transfer. Its less of a risk than with twins even though the percentage to get pregnant decreasing slightly. He allows you to choose and I elected to do a single each time.
Michael Feinman
Westlake Village

12 Eggs Frozen
The facility [HRC] is nice and clean and everyone is friendly. I usually didn’t have to wait very long to be seen, but it does get busier later in the morning. Some places have you pay for each exam, blood draw, etc, but this one has kind of a package deal, which I liked...Elizabeth was very personable, responsive, and helpful. You actually email the nurse and another email address so someone else can also help you if your nurse isn’t available, which happened once.
12 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with HRC.
The facility is nice and clean and everyone is friendly. I usually didn’t have to wait very long to be seen, but it does get busier later in the morning. Some places have you pay for each exam, blood draw, etc, but this one has kind of a package deal, which I liked. But maybe they average out to be similar in price, I don’t know.
Dr. Nelson is very personable and I enjoyed working with him. He explained things clearly, let me know what to expect, and I feel like he really cares about his patients. He was understanding and accommodating to my hectic work schedule and made sure to amp things up so that I got enough eggs during my second retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Torres)
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
I really like Dr. Nelson and would go back to him again. He’s warm and engaging and I felt very secure in going through this process with him. He explained things well and gave me a good idea of what to expect.
Start ASAP because some months are busier than others. I was lucky and got in right away when I called to make a consultation, but I think I just had lucky timing.
Because my hormone levels were good and I initially had a good number of follicles (I’m 41), I think we just did a more standard plan for egg harvesting. But then I only got 4 eggs, so he changes the regimen a bit and then I got 7 the next time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
It’s a package that includes visits, ultrasounds, and blood draws. And the retrieval costs.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Wilcox's [HRC] nurse team was amazing. From his nurse practitioner Tiffany, to my assigned IVF coordinator Teresa, to his awesome nurses Nanette, Ana, and Kat, I always felt that everyone knew where I was in my cycle and what the next steps were. I never felt that his team was confused as to which patient I was. i never felt like a number. My preferred mode of communication is email, and sometimes I would email a random question. If Teresa was not able to respond quickly, one of the other nurses was so quick to respond.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with HRC.
Front staff was nice enough, but could have been a bit more welcoming of patients. I have spent a lot of time there, and they are consistently nice enough. This is a highly emotional experience, so I feel that the more smiles I see, the better the experience. It would be nice to be greeted to a warm, friendly, and understanding receptionist when I am going in for transfers, or going in for what I know is going to be a negative beta test. I will say that they are efficient and I am in and out as soon as possible. The entire facility is amazing and I can see that they value appearance. It is beautiful as soon as you walk out of the elevator. I love that it is always clean, and their coffee/tea station is fully stocked. There is always a place to sit, which is nice.
Dr. Wilcox is a great doctor with calm demeanor. He or his nurse practitioner did all of my ultrasounds, which is great. However, I never spoke to Dr. Wilcox after each failed transfer. Even just a quick phone call to show his support would have been nice. Maybe that is too much to ask, but this is an extremely emotional experience and sometimes the bad news/aftermath of bad news is better received when it comes from the doctor. His awesome nursing team called me by phone/email, and were always prompt. But that is the only thing I would have liked from Dr. Wilcox.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Teresa Fontanilla)
Dr. Wilcox's nurse team was amazing. From his nurse practitioner Tiffany, to my assigned IVF coordinator Teresa, to his awesome nurses Nanette, Ana, and Kat, I always felt that everyone knew where I was in my cycle and what the next steps were. I never felt that his team was confused as to which patient I was. i never felt like a number. My preferred mode of communication is email, and sometimes I would email a random question. If Teresa was not able to respond quickly, one of the other nurses was so quick to respond. I never felt like I was waiting for an answer. When I came to my appointments, I always felt like they knew who i was. I really appreciated that!
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr. Wilcox's strength is his very calm demeanor, which I equated to confidence. He was always cool and collected, and his tone of voice was very comforting. He answered every question I had (except with the last transfer) as if he had always known the answer. He never faltered in his responses, which made me feel at ease. Dr. Wilcox's weakness, as previously stated, is that he could be a bit more supportive. After each failed transfer, I never connected with him as far as the next steps. I always spoke to my IVF coordinator, who would speak on his behalf. After each failed transfer (I had 3), I would have liked to connect with him or even have him call me with the next steps. I think that adds the human factor; the idea that he's not just a busy doctor, but a human who actually cares about my progress. During the last ultrasound prior to my 3rd FET, I asked him a question and he gave me a single word response before leaving the room. I did not feel very supported/validated at that time. I would say that for the most part, though, Dr. Wilcox was professional and I was confident with my treatment plan. His protocol always worked for me because I responded well to medications. Everything looked picture perfect beforehand. He adjusted the treatment plan with each failed FET, and I had cervical dilations and an ERA to help diagnose possible issues with implantation at the cellular level. I am confident in his treatment plans for me for the future as well.
He may come off a little too calm, but that seems to be his personality and bedside manner. If you don't feel comfortable by that, I would go with another doctor. He was always consistently cool as a cucumber.
EGG RETRIEVAL IN JUNE 2017: Birth control pills started on 5/19/17-5/28/17. 5/30/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 6/2/17: Started Gonal F 300 units, Menopur 75 units, Omnitrope 0.25 mL every night. 6/6/17: Appt for ultrasound/labs. Based on lab results, I continued all medications as ordered and increased Menopur to 100 units. 6/8/17: appt for labs/ultrasound. Follicles growing well, responding to meds well. 6/10/17: appt for labs/ultrasound. 6/11/17: trigger injection. 6/13/17: egg retrieval under general anesthesia. 19 eggs retrieved, 13 eggs mature, 11 fertilized via ICSI, 10 blasts, 5 PGS normal embryos (3 boys/2 girls). FET #1 IN AUGUST 2017: 7/1//17:take last birth control pill. 7/12/17 appt for ultrasound, labs for BHCG and estrogen. 7/16/17: Start Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for 2 doses. Start prenatal vitamins, dha, and folic acid daily. 7/22/17: increase Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 7/26/17: Appt for ultrasound/labs for progesterone and estrogen. 7/30/17: Started Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily and Progesterone 200mg lozenges sublingually 3 times daily. 8/4/17: FET with 1 male PGS embryo. Dr. Wilcox had difficulty accessing my uterus because my cervix is anatomically shaped differently. 8/16/17: Beta HCG negative. FET#2 IN OCTOBER 2017: 9/22/17: Dr. Wilcox completed a cervical dilation and endometrial scratch, because he had difficulty accessing my uterus during FET #1. 9/27/17 started Delestrogen 0.1 mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses. Started prenatal vitamins, DHA, and folic acid daily. 10/3/17: increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 10/6/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 10/11/17 started Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily and Progesterone 200mg lozenge sublingually 3 times daily. 10/16/17: FET with 2 PGS normal embryos (1 male/1 female) under general anesthesia. 10/27/17: Beta negative. ERA CYCLE IN DECEMBER 2017: 11/2/17 started birth control. 11/11/17 last birth control pill today. 11/15/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 11/16/17 started Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses. 11/22/17 Increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 11/27/17 appt for labs/ultrasounds. 11/30/17 started Progesterone 1mL IM daily and Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily. 12/5/17: ERA biopsy. Started back on birth control pills. FET#3 IN JANUARY 2018: 12/22/17 cervical dilation under general anesthesia. 12/28/17 took last birth control pill today. 1/2/18 appt for labs, ultrasound, and endometrial scratch. Started Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses, and started prenatal vitamins, folic acid, and dha. 1/8/18 increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 1/12/18 appt for labs and ultrasound. Dr. Wilcox saw what could have been hydrosalpinx on right side fallopian tube. 1/16/18 started Progesterone 1mL IM daily at 9am, and Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily. 1/22/18 FET #3 with 1 PGS male embryo under general anesthesia. 2/2/18 Beta negative. CURRENT PLAN OF CARE: referred back to OB for possible laparoscopy of right side pelvic area, or placement of Essure on right side fallopian tube.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
The cost for an IVF cycle (egg retrieval, 1st FET, PGS testing): $16,565. If I opted for no PGS testing, it would have been $12,110. Each FET $3150. General anesthesia $1500. Endometrial scratch $300. Cervical dilation $1100. ERA test $870. Biopsy $260.
My doctor felt that I would be successful with a singleton transfer, but ultimately left it up to me. He was willing to transfer 2 PGS embryos, though it was not his recommendation.

2013 - 2018
A few years ago when we first started treatment they had a strict policy about not allowing children especially babies to the clinic. That was great while I was childless at the time and going through so many different feelings related to infertility...All of the cycle treatment appointments were under the IVF or embryo transfer bills. There was no seperate bills if needing extra appointment....The lobby room is huge
Describe your experience with HRC.
A few years ago when we first started treatment they had a strict policy about not allowing children especially babies to the clinic. That was great while I was childless at the time and going through so many different feelings related to infertility. I was disheartened to see that this changed during my last cycle. The lobby room is huge and has space for all of their patients.
He always makes me feel like a person with valid feelings and concerns. I like his personality. He always seems to remember details about our everyday life not related to infertility. He connects with his patients and spouses.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
I think the biggest weakness is the number of patients Dr. Neslon treats now. When we first started seeing him it seemed it was easier to make appointments and their was more flexibility and availability. 2 years ago it seemed as if it was harder to book an appointment. That being said, he will go out of his way to book Saturday appointments if needed for the best treatment plan for your body.
He his knowledgable about infertility and comes with years of experience.
We had male infertility. We used ICSI with IVF with a fresh transfer the first time. With the second transfer we did a frozen transfer. We used typical IVF treatment and adjusted medicines based upon my levels since infertility was not female related. We have used 2 eggs every time because of my age and the high number of embryos created.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
Yes, we were educated about the number used and the reasoning. We also, were informed that if something happened to one of the 2 embryos during unfreezing they would unfreeze another 2 and transfer 3 in that case or however many survived. That they would rather transfer 2 then just one. Again, BC i have a high number of embryos.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.

Sometimes the waiting area [HRC - Pasadena] was overflowing with patients, and coordinators. I guess it's great for them, but sometimes no seating and long wait time isn't great for me. At times, the waiting area can get quit loud with everyone talking and the staff calling out patients names very softly so we cant all hear in the hallway near the elevators.... Flor is just the sweetest. Im sure I bugged her a few time with emailing so much, but she responded fast & answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Sometimes the waiting area was overflowing with patients, and coordinators. I guess it's great for them, but sometimes no seating and long wait time isn't great for me. At times, the waiting area can get quit loud with everyone talking and the staff calling out patients names very softly so we cant all hear in the hallway near the elevators.
Dr. Kolb was the nicest ever. My husband & I felt very comfortable with him and he answered all of our questions. We never felt rushed, even though there were always many patients in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Flor Parada)
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb is very professional & caring. We really didn't feel as if he was trying the bare minimum in trying to help me conceive. He did what we wanted, (within reason, we wanted to try pills 1st & he explained why we would go the more aggresive route since I have PCOS). He's a wonderful, intelligent, well mannered physician.
Go with an open mind & have questions. Dont be disappointed if the route you want to try 1st is not the same route he wants to try. He will give you his honest opinion.
We checked blood levels, then we checked to see if my tubes were blocked with a water ultrasound (in office). My tubes were fine & I didnt have any polyps in my uterus. I do have PCOS though. So he wanted to try Gonal-f 200iu nightly injections. 9 injections all together. We checked on ultrasound if my lining was good & we did IUI on Nov 5, 2017. We did progesterone inserts daily as well. Unfortunately, a pregnancy did not happen. He says next time we will be more aggresive with medications.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
All together, bloodwork, ultrasounds & IUI, (not incl. Meds as rhey were purchased from an outside company) we paid approx. $2300-$2500. (Meds were an additional $1600 from an outside pharm)

IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
They [HRC - Encino] are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened...The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized... my husband had to donate sperm twice because they didn't test the first time within FDA guidelines. I don't understand why they can't test the first sample instead of needing all new (expensive) bloodwork and semen donation all over again.
Describe your experience with HRC.
They are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened. Also, I had a friend pre-pay my IVF procedure and the clinic promised me that it could not be refunded and was safe for me to continue no matter what, but then the head of finances called me and said that my friend got it refunded back right in the middle of me getting treatments and the lady who promised this could not happen did not even apologize for the screw up. The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized. They charge twice as much for bloodwork as an outside clinic, so I would say that they are overly expensive. .
His main nurse, Debbie treats me like a friend, but Dr Kolb can be mechanical at times. But I don't take it personally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Debbie V)
Nurse Debbie is the BEST. She even lets me text her on her personal cell phone because of the nature of the urgency with my scheduling. I understand ethical and professional boundaries, so I do not abuse this privilege and neither does she. She is very helpful and always there when I need to come in on a moment;s notice; and she always finds a way to get me in whether she is going to be in the office or not. She is warm and empathetic.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr Kolb was not a good communicator when I first saw him. He just told me that I only have a remote chance of conceiving and sent me on my way without telling me there were treatment options, I guess he assumed I knew about IVF and all of that, But I had never heard of anything prior. Dr Kolb has apologized to me before for seeming sterile and cold, but like I said, I don't take things personally.
Do not take his bedside manner personally. He is regarded as one of the top fertility doctor's in the world, I have seen the reviews and magazine covers and he has a wonderful nursing staff. He is non-threatening and would never be considered creepy or anything like that. You can trust him.
He makes it clear that he is trying to save me money by starting off with less expensive meds and overtime my eggs would not respond, he would up the medications and we would just keep trying. I am about to try my last cycle with the most expensive medications available thus far.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
$500 for bloodwork. $600. a year sperm storage fee. $9.740.00 IVF procedure. $1,000. drop cycle fees, $240 Ultra sound visits. $50.00 consultation. $500 for sperm donation. $4,000. egg donor medications.
He will not transfer anymore than 2 at a time, but my nurse says that I might be able to talk him into trying 3.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
We liked Dr. Norian very much, but his staff [at HRC] always seems overwhelmed. The nurses assigned to us did not get back to us in a timely manner and there were often mistakes on the treatment plans...I don't think I would recommend his practice -- if someone was set on going there I would advise them to ask lots of questions and push for more tests...The nursling staff always seemed overwhelmed. I rarely felt supported and always felt like I was chasing them down. The nursing coordinator was responsive, but she was not the one managing my specific treatment/ care.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is Pasadena was wonderful. The nursing staff was warm, friendly, patient and always made us feel very comfortable. All of the other staff was great as well - encouraged questions and never seems rushed. We almost never waited -- they were on time and efficient.
We liked Dr. Norian very much, but his staff always seems overwhelmed. The nurses assigned to us did not get back to us in a timely manner and there were often mistakes on the treatment plans. After 2 miscarriages with Dr. Norian (1 before we started seeing him I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis and I couldn't help but feel it could have been caught earlier.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Cynthia)
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian is kind and smart and was easy to talk to. He always addressed all of our questions with detail and patience. Dr. Norian explained all the options -- risks and gave his opinion on best course of treatment. In the operating room he was warm and made me feel comfortable even during a D&C. When any results become available Dr. Norian called himself and explained everything and made himself available for questions. He remained positive and was always optimistic. We have decided to switch Doctors/ clinics because in the end I did feel like he could have been more thorough and I believe things will missed and mismanaged.
We did multiple embryo transfer and after the second miscarriage he suggested we leave the frozen embryo from the that retrieval and do a new retrieval with testing. I wish we did the testing from the start and wish that was suggested.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Strengths: The Surgical team, PA's and coordinators. HRC Newport Beach has a fascinating state of the art embryology lab, surgical center and office all in the same building. They have a very organized process in place to coordinate treatment. Lab and ultrasound appointments were always fast. Weaknesses: They are a very busy practice and might have some extended wait for doctor visits.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The HRC practice is very busy; it's hard not to feel like a number. The process is very transactional and initially it felt as if my treatment plan was the 'cookie cutter' for all new patients. Of course that was not the case and changes were made to my cycle as it progressed. There was great communication and I felt that I was in the best hands. I will also add that making me feel like a "human" is not my top priority, getting pregnant and becoming a mother is.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
The coordinators and surgical staff are the most incredible and caring team. They are as compassionate and they are knowledgable.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Dr. Potter is very passionate about what he does. He's compassionate yet direct when discussing treatment and outcomes. He runs quite a bit late at times but most doctors who perform procedures usually do.
I would probably advise to prepare for a longer wait time and to not expect Dr.Potter to be the warmest. Everything "infertility" entails waiting periods. We're all there to get pregnant and if the main focus is the skill and success rates of the doctor and practice, then waiting a little extra is worth it.
The cycle began with birth control pills for 3 weeks, Lupron 10 units for 10 days then Lupron 5 units for 10 days, 10 days of Gonal and 10 days of Menopur. The cycle was monitored with ultrasounds and blood work. The dosages of Gonal and Menopur were adjusted once 4 days before the egg retrieval. I was also instructed to take 2 hCG Ovidrel (trigger) shots about 35 hours prior to the retrieval. The day before the egg retrieval, I began my 5 day dosage of Doxycycline (terrible tasting pills). After the retrieval, I began estradiol (injection), progesterone suppositories, baby aspirin and continued with prenatal vitamins. I observed the recommended 72 hours of bedrest with light activity after. After realizing my hCG numbers weren't doubling, Dr. Potter quickly ordered more blood work. My progesterone was low and had me come into the office on the same day and disbursed enough progesterone for the next few days until my rx from the pharmacy arrived. My hCG numbers doubled after that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
My insurance does not cover IVF. The IVF cycle including ICSI, PGD, anesthesia and labs: $15,900. Medications: approx $4,500 since a few were covered by insurance. The costs of IVF has increased as of the end of last year but I don't know what they are.
Dr. Potter briefly discussed this during our initial consultation and he appeared neutral. Since my cycle resulted in 1 normal embryo, it was not discussed in depth.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Nursing staff [at HRC] had failed at one point to tell my doctor that my OPK kit had changed. I came in the next day and told him and he was surprised he wasn't informed. They had also at one point forgotten to order a prescription and we had to rush it to the house...Each of my IUI were about $2,500 which included ultrasounds, medications (clomid, trigger shot, progesterone), and back to back IUI sessions with sperm wash. During my last IUI they had me pay per day rather than the package since that was slightly cheaper.
Other, Prefer not to answer
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
It is a very nice facility that has all the bells and whistles. However, I would rather have a less attractive lobby and cheaper pricing. :) The facility is easy to find and parking is relatively easy as well.
His office support staff make you feel like a number but him as a doctor makes you feel like a human. The front desk and ladies that take you to the room make it seem like you are putting them out. His nurse who was on my case is delightful as well as Dr. Nelson.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
Liz my primary nurse was much better than the others at the office. She was kind and encouraging. The other support staff were quick with me and pretty emotionless. Prior to seeing Liz or Dr. Nelson you very much just feel like a number being pushed through the system. There were also a few times where they didn't either order my medication or some thought they didn't when they did. They don't feel very organized or informed.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
My doctor is very knowledgeable and I trusted that he knew the best course of action. He explains things thoroughly and in a way to help me understand. This might be my issue more than his but during ultrasounds I tend to not ask questions and I think later I should have asked. He doesn't necessarily give you more information than you need to know. Ask questions and he will explain what he sees and what is going on very clearly. He makes me feel comfortable and I feel he is capable.
Ask questions and gather as much information as you can. Getting a hold of him to talk to him directly is hard. All communication is done through his support staff.
My husband and I have unexplained infertility and sometimes anovulation. Because we are both on the younger side he elected to have us try IUI with Clomid. I started clomid on about day 3 of my cycle and then I took OPK and if I saw a kit change I came in for them to asses. If I didn't see a change then they would trigger shot me. They gave me the shot even with the kit change to ensure that I would ovulate. Then I came in within the next day or two and had one IUI done (sperm wash included). We used my husband's fresh sperm. The following day I would have a second IUI and sperm wash. From there they placed me on progesterone for two weeks just as a precaution (I didn't have progesterone level issues). I did 3 rounds of IUI just like this and all 3 times had negative results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
N/A. We haven't done that option yet.

PCOS, Unexplained
The office staff and nurses [at HRC-Rancho Cucagmonga] have been excellent. They are GREAT about communication and scheduling. I have never had to worry if they will get me scheduled in my range of cycle days for a procedure. They explain all the details to me, answer my questions, and are always friendly. With infertility being a sensitive and difficult time for many, it’s so important to have a positive and friendly staff to support those patients.
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is great about communication and scheduling - I’ve had absolutely no problems with them! I feel like I call them all the time and they are always so helpful. The initial paperwork, labs, ultrasounds, etc were all quick and painless because they had thoroughly explained everything.
Dr. Norian has been excellent. He takes plenty of time to sit down and explain every detail without being rushed. He answers all our questions thoroughly, and you can tell he truly cares. He is empathetic and understanding regarding financial concerns. We feel like he truly cares about us as humans and not just another number. Very lucky to have found him!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
The office staff and nurses have been excellent. They are GREAT about communication and scheduling. I have never had to worry if they will get me scheduled in my range of cycle days for a procedure. They explain all the details to me, answer my questions, and are always friendly. With infertility being a sensitive and difficult time for many, it’s so important to have a positive and friendly staff to support those patients.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
We have had nothing but good experiences with Dr. Norian. My favorite is that he is very intelligent, well educated, and up to date on evidence based practice and research. It’s important to me that I feel my doctor knows what he’s doing and is up to date on the best options. Next, he is caring. He takes plenty of time with us at each visit to answer questions. We feel that he is truly warm, compassionate, and cares about our success with fertility!
Go to him!!! He is excellent and we trust him completely. Their office, staff, and nurses are great as well!
We are still in the process of our treatment - but are remaining hopeful and positive with the plan Dr Norian has layed out. We have both changed our diets and added specific vitamins. We have both received lab draws, an SA by my husband, and a U/S on me showing a threshold for PCOS. Metformin may possibly be added later. We have SGH scheduled followed by IUI depending on our results from above.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
I do not know the specific costs of many items yet - but the staff is VERY understanding of financial concerns and help in any way possible. I am very thankful for that.
Not applicable

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Norian at HRC.

The clinic [HRC-Pasadena] is very clean and professional. They welcome you openly and allow you to address whatever questions you have prior setting up an appointment with one of their physicians. Weaknesses: I had issues with billing. They seem to not have a good communication with the rest of the team members/nurses. If I did not review my bills carefully I would have overpaid on certain visits.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is very clean and professional. They welcome you openly and allow you to address whatever questions you have prior setting up an appointment with one of their physicians. Weaknesses: I had issues with billing. They seem to not have a good communication with the rest of the team members/nurses. If I did not review my bills carefully I would have overpaid on certain visits.
At times, I felt like my time with the doctor or his team members were not fully met, yet it was just another appointment. The nurse coordinators were not available to my needs or questions as I predicted or wished for. .
Elizabeth is very thorough and detailed when communicating with me. At times, I felt like I had to remind her or the team regarding things that needed during my cycle.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Dr. Nelson has great bed side manners; he is very calm and collective. He likes to take his time to review your case and answer whatever questions you may have. He is compassionate and available to his patient's needs. I felt comfortable being his patient.
Ask questions; do not hesitate to say or voice your opinion/concerns.
During my first cycle, which was a fresh transfer after a 5-day egg retrieval I resulted in my first pregnancy; however, I felt that my body was too exhausted to take on a pregnancy after being through so much hormones and treatment. It would have progressed to my knowledge if we froze the embryos and did a Frozen Embryo Transfer vs. a fresh one. On my second cycle, we did a FET with injections [estrogen and progesterone injections] along with baby aspirin and levothyroxine. This cycle did result in a pregnancy, however at 6 weeks into the pregnancy resulted in another miscarriage.
Combination of both IVF cycles we paid about 25K [$25,000]
My RE transferred 2 embryos per cycle; I asked what his preference was whether 1 or 2 he suggested 2 since I am young and have no fertility issues.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.

I wish they [HRC- Rancho Cucamonga] had an online portal to check status of everything you were waiting on. Also it would make it easier to to reference when you had questions.... In the beginning it felt good, the nurses remembered me, they called me when they said they would and updated me when they said they would. Then a year went by and it was like I was forgotten. The staff changed and the dr was more rushed every time I spoke to him.
Describe your experience with HRC.
I wish they had an online portal to check status of everything you were waiting on. Also it would make it easier to to reference when you had questions. Any videos and medication resources would be nice. The more help the better
In the beginning it felt good, the nurses remembered me, they called me when they said they would and updated me when they said they would. Then a year went by and it was like I was forgotten. The staff changed and the dr was more rushed every time I spoke to him. My cycles were constantly pushed back and moved because it didn’t fit the drs time table. It was heartbreaking. When he finally told me that I wouldn’t get pregnant without doing an ivf cycle I had a breakdown and no one seemed to care. I drove home while having a panic attake. My husband and I just want to have a baby, we knew it would be emotionally tough but we didn’t realize that we wouldn’t get support from our clinic. When we signed on for an ivf cycle we started hearing more from our nurses. After the 2nd transfer I started to bleed 4 weeks into it. After 2 hours I finally got a hold of a nurse who advised me to go on bedrest for the next 2 days. Regularless if I was going to lose them anyway, some urgency would have been nice. I definitely don’t feel important to them, and I don’t quite know what to about my next cycle.
The various nurses I spoke with were great. There was a nurse that couldn’t understand my drs notes so she told me I would hav two have a d and c, when it really meant to “discontinue”. That was an awful conversation
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
My dr is good with being analytical and to the point. Not very good with bedside manner. It’s a sensitive subject and sometimes you need to read your patients. When you are about to tell them they will not have a child on their own, it breaks them. This is regardless if ivf is the cure. We don’t look a ourselves as women anymore
Make sure you have support from your SO. Do not expect it from them and make sure you ask a lot of questions, it for st matter how weird it sounds coming out of your mouth
At first we tried letrezole for the IU I, then clomid for the next one. Then we tried femera, my pinning wasn’t thick enough so that cycle was canceled. Then we went to ivf and under went the stimming process, then went to injectable progesterone and vaginal progesterone, I was also on levothyroxine during the enmities process. Slowly that was increased
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
The IUis were around $900 each, we did 2, medication was about $300. The ivf cycle was $21000, and the medication after transfer was $1800
Both transfers felt the same, the second transfer was with 2 embryos

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
The HRC lab is onsite and their facilities are clean. One negative is there is no free parking onsite. Recommendation is to schedule appointments first thing in the morning because they are less busy....My nurse saved me! She is amazing and I don't think I could go through this journey without her. She gives me the confidence I need and reassures me that I'm ok when I have mental breakdowns.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr. Boostanfar has good bedside manners. When he first diagnosed me with infertility I was crying. He hugged me and reassured me everything was going to be ok. He seems very knowledgeable with infertility and creates custom protocols.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Brandy)
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Boostanfar has good bedside manners. He is comforting and empathetic. He gave me confidence when I was nervous for egg retrieval. Shares success stories of women with similar conditions to give me confidence and boost my optimism.
Ask questions and why he's doing certain protocols.
After 2 HSG tests my results for my right ovary was still unclear. I mentioned that my childhood gynecologist believed I had endometriosis. Dr. Boostanfar recommended that I take care of my endometriosis before starting IVF. He was insistent about laparoscopic surgery with robotics. At that time there were no qualified doctors in Los Angeles to perform that procedure and he referred me to Dr. Nazaht in San Francisco. Dr. Nazaht removed my stage 2 & 3 endo from my uterus and colon. He also repaired my uterus that was beginning to become bicornuate. Dr. Nazaht also diagnosed me with one ovary (lost right side due to torsion). Then started IVF. Did PGS testing and ERA. ERA identified that my lining was inflamed possibly due to endometriosis and therefore began depot lupron procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
They told me the IVF cycle was going to cost about $20K-25K not including medications. Including medications, I will be spending around $35k for this IVF cycle.
My doctor scared me about multiple embryo transfer and the potential health risks.
Encino

Financial peopl [at HRC Pasadena] lack detail. You pay out of pocket and it’s a set price but if you go through insurance they bill much more for the procedure. Getting answers and refund is a nightmare...Clinic has its own parking lot and is very private. The staff are nice, phlebotomist are great. Labs and ultrasound are quick...Our nurse is very sweet and answered questions to the best of knowledge that she has. He explained medication mechanism very well. Unfortunately I feel that lately she has been extremely busy and sometimes lack of details. Other staff members have tired to answer questions but they appear to be clueless and in fact just made us feel like we cannot trust how our case is being handled.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Clinic has its own parking lot and is very private. The staff are nice, phlebotomist are great. Labs and ultrasound are quick. Decorations can be update. The room men used to produce sample needs to be updated, video needs to be updated and sometimes headphones do not work. Financial people lack detail. You pay out of pocket and it’s a set price but if you go through insurance they bill much more for the procedure. Getting answers and refund is a nightmare.
The office is very busy and it feels like going to a dentist. Painful quick and goodbye. You get labs, an ultrasound and a few seconds after with the doctor. But really you spend 99% of the time with the coordinator. Dr Kolb is very pleasant and so are the nurses. But he just does not have time to elaborate on his plans and answer questions. It felt very personal to us and it did not come off that way to the team. There is no real discussion on plan of action, why things did not work out and what we can do next time to decrease chances of failure.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Great bedside manner. Very educated, calm and can be very reassuring...when he actually spends time to explain. You can tell he is a very busy doctor and most likely not fully invest in your case as he has too much of a patient load to remember. I feel like things are easily overlooked. Treatment feels like trial and error. I do not get a sense that he realizes how emotional and financially hard it the process is.
Research and formulate questions before visits and after visits and insist on answers. You pay a lot for treatment and should be able to feel like you’re needs are being met.
First cycle was done using standard protocol which is menopur, gonal F and citrotide then lastly trigger shot HCG. Second protocol was Lupron, follistim, menopur and hcg trigger. We did not get any explanation really on why he decided this would work best.
The whole process cost us 35K so far and no success

3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Everything is self contained at this clinic [HRC - Pasadena] making it a one stop. You will see your doctor, coordinator, lab, financial and surgical team all at the same office! With everything in the same location appointments are less stressful. The clinic is large and in high demand. However even with a large patient doctor ratio you are never rushed.... Dr. Kolb has a wonderful bedside manner. He greets you with a hug and genuinely cares about his patients.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Everything is self contained at this clinic making it a one stop. You will see your doctor, coordinator, lab, financial and surgical team all at the same office! With everything in the same location appointments are less stressful. The clinic is large and in high demand. However even with a large patient doctor ratio you are never rushed.
Dr. Kolb has a wonderful bedside manner. He greets you with a hug and genuinely cares about his patients. He returns phone calls personally and always makes sure you understand what is going on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Monica)
Monica was assigned as our coordinator and main person of contact. She handled everything from medication ordering and appointment scheduling. She was wonderful at checking in regularly and always returned calls and emails promptly. When I needed extra medication Monica was there to send me samples to get me through treatment. And for extra peace of mind she gave me her personal phone number for after hour contact. Unfortunately she no longer works there. Her successor, Flor is also fantastic and I believe will live up to the standard Monica held as Dr. Kolb's assistant.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb is a phenomenal doctor. From our first visit up to our last discharge visit he always greeted us with a smile and a handshake. He is professional with a great bedside manner. He is constantly keeping up to date with medical studies and conferences. At such a large clinic I was afraid I would be just another number, I was wrong. Every staff member I came into contact with was pleasant and seemed to genuinely care about me and the treatment I was receiving.
Don't wait, go see him now!
Dr. Kolb started off treatment with multiple diagnostic tests. Labs, ultrasound and a hysteroscopy. Medication was started low and Dr. Kolb followed my results very closely. If adjustments needed to be made it was under his direction.
Dr. Kolb advised us of our option to transfer multiples. At my age the maximum amount that he would transfer was 2. He did warn us of the possibility of having twins.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC.

Aesthetically, the clinic [HRC - Pasadena] has warm and calming appearance. It looks a little like you’re in a sophisticated hotel lobby. The front desk staff and the flebotomíst are cordial. There are a ton of patients who come to this clinic so it get crowded quickly.... Connie [nurse] is warm and caring. She responds so quickly to emails and correspondences that when emails are responded to a couple days late, you begin to panic a little. I would have liked that she kept track of all of the information better and provided more follow up.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Aesthetically, the clinic has warm and calming appearance. It looks a little like you’re in a sophisticated hotel lobby. The front desk staff and the flebotomíst are cordial. There are a ton of patients who come to this clinic so it get crowded quickly.
Dr Nelson thouroughly reviewed the mounds of medical records I had provided from my primary care provider. His approach is truly holistic, which I appreciate. He has a warm bedside manner
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Connie Hernandez)
Connie is warm and caring. She responds so quickly to emails and correspondences that when emails are responded to a couple days late, you begin to panic a little. I would have liked that she kept track of all of the information better and provided more follow up.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
He was well informed about my history and treaded gently, but directly about the sensitive nature of infertility. I liked his individualistic and holistic approach. He explained things thoroughly. I think the o lu weakness was punctuality in making the appointments. My husband and I chalked that up to him trying to be as thorough and present with each patient. He always asked us if we had more questions and was very patient with us. We never felt rushed. I’m assuming he provides the same level of care to all of his patients.
Be flexible with your schedule. He might not always meet you at your appointment time.
I believe he used the agonist protocol. Higher dosage than typical. 150 Menopur, 375 Gonal F and Cetrotide. Higher dosage because of my age, I believe. I produced 10 eggs among the which 4 matured. Three were fertilized. But none made it past day 7.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
About 9000 retrieval and fresh transfer, 550 for analgesia, 1500 for ICSI About 6000 for medication

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.

HRC has an excellent reputation in southern California, and their popularity is evident. Despite a sometimes busy waiting room, appointments typically run on time or close to the scheduled time. Appointments are quick but comprehensive. I have seen the doctor at every visit. My only constructive comment is that the financial/insurance department can be somewhat confusing at times. There were occasional unexpected add-on charges and it was difficult to understand clearance with my insurance and the clinic.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr. Boostanfar has excellent bedside manner. He immediately understood that this was not my "first rodeo" and did not waste my time with basic information that I already knew. He listened and understood my concerns and provided options and knowledgeable feedback.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC.
My nurse/care coordinator is excellent. As with any professional medical office, you will mostly communicate with the nursing staff regarding scheduling, information, small concerns, etc. and this clinic clearly has armed itself with a competent and effective staff. Do no overlook the importance of a knowledgable and communicative nurse, because it can make all the difference in your experience.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Boostanfar is knowledgeable in his field and direct/to the point, which I appreciate. He runs a busy practice, and although at times it may seem like he is in a hurry, he takes the time to answer all of my questions. His nurse is extremely competent and effective as well.
Express your goals and concerns with him. He is open to exploring options and making a decision with you as a doctor/patient team.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
For one fresh cycle, including transfer and medications, the total is roughly $15,000.
Encino
The entire staff at HRC is incredible. Where Dr. Frederick is very smart, educated and good at her job, she isn’t always compassionate. But the staff at HRC makes up for that a thousand times over. They are the sweetest, most accommodating and helpful people I have ever met. They genuinely care about what they do and it translates into every aspect of their job. HRC (Liz and Michelle specifically) are incredible human beings and I am so lucky to be in their care.
Describe your experience with HRC.
It can be a bit of a long wait to 1. Get an appointment and 2. See the doctor once you are there. But waiting is inevitable at any doctors office. I think we waited 20 minutes past our appointment time the first time and then 10 minutes past the second. But after that, they are great with coordinating with your calendar. The facility is clean, warm and organized. The office we went to is out of Hoag so it is very nice.
Dr. Frederick can be very direct, to the point and almost cold in how she explains things. But she’s correct and she is good at her job, and the point is to get you successfully pregnant and carry that baby to term. That being said, the nurses and coordinators on her team are the most wonderful, kind, warm and genuine human beings I have ever met. The two sides make it a perfect pair. I know without a doubt that Dr. Frederick knows what she is doing and that my body is in good hands, while I know I can always call my coordinator and she will listen to me and give me the emotional support I need.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Dr. Jane Frederick is a specific kind of doctor and not for the faint of heart. She is direct, clear, gets to the point and knows exactly what she is talking about (meaning she has logical evidence to support her opinions and treatment plans). She is not the most empathetic person in the world. She isn’t necessarily cold, I feel that is too harsh, but she isn’t warm either. So somewhere in the middle I guess. She is not the shoulder to cry on if you’re feeling overwhelmed with your fertility process. But she is the hands that will get you pregnant and will be up front and honest with what to expect / how to do it. If you do what Dr. Frederick asks of you, you will have a healthy pregnancy and bring a healthy baby into the world.
Don’t let what she says hurt your feelings. She’s very honest and blunt. Be open to what she is saying and really hear her responses to your questions. If you want someone to unapologetically tell you how it is and what you need to do to conceive, Jane Frederick will do exactly that for you.
Each person is very different and I’m sure no two patients are alike. I’m young but I have a low AMH level, so Dr. Frederick advised us to skip IUI altogether - her exact words were not to waste my time or my money because it would take a very long time - and to do IVF for conception. That would save me money in the long run. She said statistically I have an 85% chance of getting pregnant on my first try if I do what she asks. Secondly, she said my wife needed to be tested as well and she wanted to make sure that everyone involved in this process is healthy and ready for a child (whether you’re the one pregnant or not). At first I thought that was strange, but thinking about it now, it makes so much sense and I really appreciate how thorough she is in everything she does. I also appreciate how quick and to the point she is about how we can cross all of our t’s and dot all of our i’s. In less than 24 hours I had a full treatment plan and a full cost breakdown. I made sure to ask who would be doing these medical procedures. Other than the sonohystogram and blood work, Dr. Frederick will be doing all other procedures herself (egg retrieval, embryo PGS, FET, ultrasound, etc.). I will be starting on BC and then injections next month after my menstrual cycle has started.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
The cost for IVF was much more expensive than an FET, but the total cost was still far more affordable than anywhere else we looked. An FET at HRC is $3,600 (pre-medication). I am not sure of the total cost of IVF, but for me (I’m young and low AMH is the only issue) it was around $20k
She was VERY specific: NO TWINS. We will transfer one healthy embryo and produce one very healthy baby.

2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
When we decided to do IVF, dr boostanfar [at HRC-Encino] made specific plans for my case and adjusted the medication throughout the entire IVF process. After every ultrasound he made adjustments accordingly and we got 32 eggs out of it! 22 fertilized and 16 were sent off for biopsies...Brandy [nurse] is awesome! She is extremely organized, responds to emails and phone calls so quickly, and she’s so compassionate as well.
European, Latino
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
This clinic is amazing. You never have to wait for too long to get in and see a doctor. I’ve never waited more than 20 minutes in the waiting room and they have so much staff (that are friendly of course) that it makes it easy every time I go in and get blood work or an ultrasound done.
Dr.B is extremely confident and great at what he does. He has taken my negative thoughts about infertility and given me some hope. My husband and I are still under his care and we will only be seeing him for future children because he makes us feel so special and takes care of us like he would his own family members.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Brandy Platt )
Brandy is awesome! She is extremely organized, responds to emails and phone calls so quickly, and she’s so compassionate as well. I’d highly recommend her if you have the choice!
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
When we first met Dr. boostanfar we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into when it came to the infertility world. He thoroughly explained everything, went over tests that needed to be done, and after these tests we all sat down and went over options. My results were given to me right away with every test. Dr.Boostanfar let me decide what I wanted to do, even though I trusted his judgment and allowed him to help me make decisions. He also saw me for every appointment, which I thought was amazing.
Dr. B is so thoughtful and considerate of what we’re going through. I’d talk to him about what your feeling as much as possible and be open with him about everything, he does the best he can to help you feel at ease.
Both of my IUIs has different treatments. The first IUI I was on femara and the second I was on femara and injections. Both had negative outcomes, but I only have one tube working (the other was taken out due to blockage). When we decided to do IVF, dr boostanfar made specific plans for my case and adjusted the medication throughout the entire IVF process. After every ultrasound he made adjustments accordingly and we got 32 eggs out of it! 22 fertilized and 16 were sent off for biopsies.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
The appointments I made have always been on time regardless of the time of day. I never had to wait too long to see the doctor or nurse.
Not sure
We are going through this process right now but I believe he likes single embryo transfers due to the risk of the embryo splitting, which apparently happens frequently.

Poor Egg Quality, Other
The clinic [HRC-Fullerton] is very clean and in a good location. Overall, everyone is very friendly and the nurses were great with the u/s and drawing blood. The one weakness is the accounting department could be improved. There were a few misunderstandings about the fees and that was Frustrating.... Allyn Ann, our nurse practitioner, was beyond helpful. She was there for my wife when she had any questions and would take the time to explain the procedure and the results. She was extremely responsive. Natalija, our coordinator, is also very good. She is very responsive and explains the steps very well.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is very clean and in a good location. Overall, everyone is very friendly and the nurses were great with the u/s and drawing blood. The one weakness is the accounting department could be improved. There were a few misunderstandings about the fees and that was Frustrating.
Dr. Potter took the time to see what issues my wife and I may have. He ultimately found out that my wife insulin resistant and that could have contributed to poor egg quality and our miscarriage. He is very straightforward and lacks a long of emotion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann)
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Dr. Potter seems to be very inquisitive and likes to exhaust all avenues to see what could be causing infertility. Before we met him, he has my wife run some tests and that’s how he found out she’s insulin resistant, which could be a contributing factor to our infertility issues. He is running more tests before we do the retrieval and transfer to make sure we are able to have the best embryos possible and the best envinroment when we do the transfer. He definitely does not have a lot of emotions, however, that does not bother me or my wife. One frustrating issue is that he is late. He was an hour late for our first meeting.
Don’t have the expectation to have your hand held through this process. However, he is very intelligent and the me that is more important.
We haven’t started the procedures yet. We are waiting until I do the final testing.
I believe about $23,000.
We have not gotten to that point yet with Dr. Potter.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Overall super buttoned up and professional. I trust my care to HRC. Their lab is fantastic and yields great results. ...Dr Norian's staff is wonderful! Saba is my primary nurse and she is responsive and to the point. She is a great liaison between myself and Dr Norian. She is thorough and organized. Always delivers when she says she will for example when communicating calendars if she says it will be to you in 24 hours it will be. Amanda in billing is an angel- answers all questions and will look through all areas to help you understand your bills... Irene who draws the labs is amazing! I
European, Other
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Describe your experience with HRC.
Overall super buttoned up and professional. I trust my care to HRC. Their lab is fantastic and yields great results. I believe we got the results we did because of Dr Norman and the embryologist. Our first clinic we had 2 eggs out of 13 make it to day 5 with HRC we went for 13 retrieved to 6 day 5 embryos. Our cycle was so much more positive at HRC. I won’t go anywhere else. I recommend them to everyone I know.
Dr Norian is extremely kind and knowledgeable. At every appointment he made sure to take the time with me talking about my treatment as well as me as an individual. His kind manner has helped me through this process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Saba and Cynthia)
Dr Norian's staff is wonderful! Saba is my primary nurse and she is responsive and to the point. She is a great liaison between myself and Dr Norian. She is thorough and organized. Always delivers when she says she will for example when communicating calendars if she says it will be to you in 24 hours it will be. Amanda in billing is an angel- answers all questions and will look through all areas to help you understand your bills. When I had my miscarriage she cried with me and made sure my husband and I were ok. Irene who draws the labs is amazing! I'm a hard stick and she never had an issue. Cynthia and Ashleigh are fantastic too!
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr Norian has been a wonderful doctor. I see him every visit and he does every procedure himself. His dedication to his job and helping others is evident. Every morning he arrives at the Pasadena location to do surgery, egg retrieval's, and transfers. Directly after he leaves and makes it to the office by 8 AM in the morning. He works long hours and I have even had him call me after 6 PM. When I had many questions he either scheduled me for an appointment or spoke with me over the phone to answer all my questions. Unfortunately when I had a miscarriage, I was glad to have Dr Norian in my corner. He and his staff scheduled me for a D&C the next morning so I wouldn't have to wait the weekend. Dr Norian is my second RE I have seen for IVF and I wish he was the first stop I made in my journey. Hands down I'm in the right place at HRC.
Ask questions, anything on your mind. Dr Norian will put you at ease through this process.
For my first fresh cycle I was on bcp followed by stim protocol of menopur and follistim. I stopped ovulation with ganirelix and triggered with pregnyl. Great cycle 16 retrieved, 12 mature, 8 fertilized, and 6 made it to blasts. After retrieval I was on progesterone in ethyl olate- which I LOVE because it doesn't cause knots along with delestrogen injections and endometrin suppositories. For FET I was on estrogen suppositories, delestrogen, progesterone in ethyl olate, and endometrin.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Although my appointment was at a specific time, the order in which I would be seen was dependent on what time I signed in. For the same exact appointment time, I have waited 5 mins and other times I waited an hour. The wait for Frederick wasn't as bad as Potter. I was very disappointed with the lab team [HRC Newport] as there was one person who draw my blood and leave me black and blue for days. The front office team was well coordinated.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The wait for Frederick wasn't as bad as Potter. I was very disappointed with the lab team as there was one person who draw my blood and leave me black and blue for days. The front office team was well coordinated.
Did one retrieval with her, transferred zero embryos. We tried for a second round and she cancelled the round before retrieval because I didn't have any follicles. She and I were in an examination room alone when she told me this. After she said we were cancelling the round, she said at the end, "I will see you in the front," as if there were more things to talk about in the front. I finished up and waited in the front. After waiting 5 mins while she talked with other patients, I went up to her and asked her if she needed anything else from me. She said, "Who are you?"
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Priscilla)
I do my best to be accountable in my actions and responsive in my communication. I believe the high price of IVF services demands high quality customer care and I believe the protocols of HRC helped Priscilla do her job well but over time I ended up having to prompt her for every step which was frustrating.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
She was worse than Potter on remembering patients and the only reason I went with her is because our insurance at the time covered ART and HRC was on the list of approved providers. I didnt want to deal with waiting with Potter, so I thought we could manage with Frederick. She was a good salesperson as she makes you feel like she is competent but when it comes to the outcome, not so much. For example, when I had my two failed rounds and I suggested egg donor, she wrote back in an email, "We have excellent donors." She was lying, as HRC is not affiliated with any donor agencies and their donor coordinator was horrible at searching for donors. I stopped responding at that point because our benefits ran out at that time.
Be prepared to be in your hospital gown, on your hospital bed, with two other patients with you at the surgery center and she tells each one of you the same thing... Definitely felt like a number then, too.
First round called for Follistim, second round called for Menopur. I don't have many eggs to choose from so I don't think she had much choice.
I don't remember, sorry.
We didn't get this far.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Clinic [HRC] is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster....Dr. Frederick has many patients so the care coordinator is also very busy. I could not understand why it took her 7 days to notify me my day 3 blood test results after I had started my ivf cycle with my injectables. It is totally not acceptable....
Describe your experience with HRC.
Clinic is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster.
Dr. Frederick has a set protocol for all her patients. The treatment plan was not customized. In spite of my diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality, she put me on birth control pill for 31 days before the injectables in order to accommodate her busy schedule with all her patients. My eggs were retrieved before they were matured and they all could not survive 3 days after retrieval. After the treatment, Dr. Frederick told me to consider donor eggs because she " could not make miracle happen."
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Priscilla Davalos)
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
A few hours after the very first consultation with Dr. Frederick, we were given the calendar of dates for the injectable, the dosage and also the egg retrieval date without her doing any physical exam or ultrasound on me. Because of her reported high success rate, I chose to trust her even though I felt I was being treated like a number.
Try harder.
Antagonist protocol with Gonal F 450 unit and Menopur 75 unit together from the beginning till the end. No dosage adjustment at all throughout the treatment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
I lived 1.5 hours away from HRC orange county, so I did my monitoring ultrasounds at HRC oceanside branch. What bothered me was that, the ultrasound technician refused to told me what she saw in the ultrasound. She said the doctor would explain to me, but the doctor never did. I went in for couple of ultrasounds for my ivf cycle and I had no clue of how my body responded to the injectables. I was kept away from the information of how the cycle went.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
I signed up for 2 cycle banking of embryos, which is $23K. After 1st cycle failed, we decided to find another doctor and we got the refund from HRC for $11K. So this failed cycle cost us $12K with only egg retrieval, no PGS done, no transfer, and injectables not included.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
The entire nursing staff at HRC] has been patient, empathetic and informative. They are always happy to answer all of my questions and make sure this process goes as smoothly as possible. I’ve been offered tissues, hugs and heating pads when it was a rough visit. Even the ladies who took my blood every visit remember my name and offer encouragement...My IUI’s were approx. $2500 each, plus medication costs. My IVF was approx. $10,500 plus an additional approx. $6000 for medications.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC Pasadena is overall an amazing community of people. They truly go out of their way to make sure that you, as the patient, are taken care of and supported. The fact that everything is done at one location makes the process a lot easier. Rarely have I had to wait long for an appt. On the occasion that they are very busy, they are apologetic and quick to get you in a room. The level of privacy and discretion is reassuring, and I’ve never felt like just another patient. My husband loves the coffee bar in the waiting room!
Each visit felt very personal, and I never felt like I was rushed through. All of my concerns were acknowledged and my questions answered.
The entire nursing staff has been patient, empathetic and informative. They are always happy to answer all of my questions and make sure this process goes as smoothly as possible. I’ve been offered tissues, hugs and heating pads when it was a rough visit. Even the ladies who took my blood every visit remember my name and offer encouragement.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
From the moment my husband and I met Dr. Nelson at the clinic’s open house, we knew that we wanted him to be our Dr. He has been completely honest and forthcoming in all matters, yet is always kind and empathetic. I have never felt that any of my questions or concerns were dismissed. He is very personable and easy-going and during every appt. and procedure I never doubted that I was in good hands. Despite all of our setbacks he always tells us not to give up hope! Even when I’ve been frustrated and felt like I was ready to give up, he remained positive and encouraged me, and my husband, to keep trying.
Remain positive and trust the process. Dr. Nelson will explore all avenues and help you and your partner find the path that is right for you.
For my IUI’s I took Clomid and then the HCG trigger shot. The Clomid made me very emotional. I cried constantly and at the smallest thing. For my IVF I took Ganirelix, Endometrin, Menopur, Progesterone, Methylprednisolone, Estradiol, Pregnyl HCG and Follistim. I was able to produce a significant number of viable eggs using this protocol. The side effects included severe bloating, pain at injection site, cramping, backache, full and sore breasts, headaches, fatigue, nausea and an uncontrollable roller coaster of emotions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
Given my age and our previous failed IUI cycles, my Dr. was willing to transfer 2 embryos. We talked extensively about the risks of multiples, for both mother and babies. He was very upfront and honest with us regarding our concerns. We all (Dr. Nelson, myself and my husband) agreed that our best chance in conceiving would be to take a more aggressive approach and transfer 2 embryos.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.

HRC has great facilities that are easily accessible. The facilities are very clean. The support staff and nurses were all very welcoming and make me feel comfortable, especially when I first went and was in uncomfortable positions 😬 One weakness is that the Newport Beach Office is more often than not running late.... Allyn Ann was absolutely amazing! I wish she were a fertility doctor so she could help us have a baby. She went above and beyond what an average nurse would do. Natalie was so great too. She was very responsive and compassionate. Highly recommend both.
Describe your experience with HRC.
I felt like Dr. Frederick didn’t take the time to see what the best protocol would be for me. I felt like she had 2 protocols and she didn’t tailor the protocols to me. It felt like she didn’t take the time to do simple tests to see if there were any other issues that could be contributing to our infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann and Natalie)
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was. She doesn’t have any bedside manners either, which is fine because my husband and I didn’t need the extra handholding. That being said, it would have been nice to have some compassion when none of our embryos passed genetic testing our first cycle or when we only had one healthy embryo the second cycle and then miscarried.
Don’t expect to have your protocol tailored to you and don’t expect her to have good bedside manners.
Honestly, I don’t remember because it was all a blur. However, it’s my understanding that she uses two protocols and she tried both on me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
The costs for Dr. Frederick were about $20,000 and the medications were about $5,000
We only had one healthy embryo so we didn’t have a choice.

IVF, Donor Eggs
We only talked to our patient coordinator [at HRC] (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt...Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times....The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room. The surgical center where they do the transfer never had enough seating and for some reason there were a lot of children (not babies but children). The only time we had to wait longer than 10 minutes was the day of our transfer.
We only talked to the doctor twice in a 13 month period. We only talked to our patient coordinator (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Castillo Rubio)
Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times. I wish she was contracted so she could work with other doctors!
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Since we only saw her twice in over a year I can't speak to her strengths. Maybe except she always got back to the nurse fairly quickly. After her giving the go ahead to use frozen donor eggs she only communicatedthat they had a lower success rate but proceeded since we were doing PGS testing. The day of our transfer she walked in and said "well frozen wasn't the way to go, the red flag was that we had to thaw 14 to get 5." That was the first thing she said to us! Then proceeded to say our embryo was a B/C grade and that she would go ahead and transfer it but the odds weren't good. Honestly how was I supposed to be hopeful when the doctor was so negative. After she transferred our 1 embroyo that made it after 5 days, and PGS testing she said "well if this doesn't work let's re-group and do a fresh transfer". I started crying uncontrollable how could she think we just had another $30,000 laying around! No compassion at all. Financially we opted for frozen eggs vs fresh because that's what we had to start a family. Dr. Frederick was well aware of our finances and showed complete lack of compassion to us.
Make sure you're okay with only communicating to a nurse coordinator.
I was put on birth control pills, progesterone in oil, estrace, and one more injection that I can't recall the name. My protocol made sense and everything went smoothly. My uterine lining was thick enough to move forward with a transfer. She did try and put me on a ton of supplements that I purchased once. When I was finished I went to Whole Foods and purchased my own.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
All of our fees were paid to the egg donor agency except the PGS testing fee which was $5,050
We only had 1embryo to transfer.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jane Frederick at HRC.

It does SEEM like the clinic [HRC - Pasadena] is all about the numbers since the waiting room is usually packed (and packed with overseas patients). But, the level of care is better than what I experienced at another practice in Beverly Hills. I love not having to call and prod the nurses for information. They respond to emails fairly quickly and they're very patient. Free parking is really great too...They're all very responsive and easy to talk to. They call when they say they will.
Describe your experience with HRC.
It does SEEM like the clinic is all about the numbers since the waiting room is usually packed (and packed with overseas patients). But, the level of care is better than what I experienced at another practice in Beverly Hills. I love not having to call and prod the nurses for information. They respond to emails fairly quickly and they're very patient. Free parking is really great too (I had to pay $28 each time at the other practice).
He never seemed like he was in a rush to move onto the next patient.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr Wilcox seems really good at what he does. We are MFI with seemingly no issues on my end so our treatment was pretty straightforward. A coworker also goes to the same practice but saw a different doctor and her protocol didn't produce quality eggs (I recognize there are many factors that contribute to this). The difference I noticed in our treatment was that Wilcox had me on ubiquinol whereas her doctor didn't even mention it. What concerned me a little with Dr Wilcox is his willingness to put in two embryos. We are non-PGS tested and only want to transfer one. I thought standard of care is to transfer one embryo and most people have to make a good case to their doctor to transfer two.
Don't be shy and ask questions. Doctors won't offer up information without being prompted.
300 iu of Follistim (all 9 days) 75 iu of Menopur (first 4 days) 150 iu of Menopur (last 5 days) Ganirelix (last 5 days) Lupron + HCG trigger 36 hours before retrieval (due to OHSS risk) Lupron 24 hours before retrieval (due to OHSS risk)
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
We are insurance patients so our insurance covers 50%. IVF fresh transfer cycle with ICSI, assisted hatching, embryo freezing, & surgery center fees was $7,080. FET is $2,100.
For non-PGS tested embryos, Wilcox prefers to transfer two.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Wilcox at HRC.

It's a large clinic [HRC] and so it's to be expected that one is more like a number than a person... It's still expensive and the add-ons really add extra costs but I don't think it was very different than other clinics in the area...I loved my nurse and she was a strong factor for me considering staying with HRC/Dr. Boostanfar. I am ambivalent with the doctor but loved my nurse. She is very organized, knowledgeable, made sure to help me keep my medicine cost low, fast to respond and really tried to manage my nerves. When she was out I did deal with other staff members but my nurse was the best that I had to work with.
Other, Prefer not to answer
Describe your experience with HRC.
The facilities are very nice though parking can sometimes be hard to find. There was no / minimal wait times which I really appreciate. The surgery center is attached to the office so that is very convenient.
It's a large clinic and so it's to be expected that one is more like a number than a person.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
He does a lot of IVF cycles. Appointments were always very quick - he would answer questions if I asked but I always got the feeling I was bothering him with my questions since he was very busy and ready to go to his next patient. I don't feel that the treatment was explained to me very well and I had to spend a lot of time on forums/google to better understand what was going on.
Be your own advocate or be okay to just go along with the standard program and not question it (I know some people don't want to know).
Overstimmed resulting in poor quality embryos (Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) but were lucky enough to have a few that were PGS normal. Negative frozen elective single transfer a few months after my retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
It's standard for what I've seen. It's still expensive and the add-ons really add extra costs but I don't think it was very different than other clinics in the area.
It was suggested to transfer two PGS normals and the mention of risks was very brief and lasted perhaps 5 seconds of are you okay with twins even though I've read a lot that two PGS normals for someone less than 35 but brief explanations were par on course for everything else so this was not surprising.
Encino

The office [HRC - Pasadena] was very busy so at times I did have to wait a long time in the doctors office...Very expensive. They charged 500 per sonogram and do a sonogram at the start of each cycle. There are lots of "extras" at hrc so so far 1 egg retrieval and 2 frozen transfers were around 20000...We had three embryos on day 5 and 6. The lab froze one by itself and 2 together in one vial. We were really disappointed in this because it meant we had to refreeeze one of the embryos since it had to be thawed with its partner.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is clean and well appointed. There are magazines and a coffee machine in the lobby. The front desk people are nice but don't always have a smile on their faces. The phlebotomist are good at their jobs. For men, delivering sperm samples is a little weird because they have to walk by people in the lobby once they've produced a sample
He was kind and compassionate and spoke to me in a reasonable way. The office was very busy so at times I did have to wait a long time in the doctors office
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Justina wang )
Initially I was assigned a different nurse but immediately before retrieval she let me know she was transferring jobs to the neighboring surgical center. Justina is a fine nurse but has some communication issues. I'm not sure if it's a problem due to English not being her first language or simply a communication style but I find some of her email communications vague when I've asked for a very specific response.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Dr Nelson is a kind man, very positive and warm In his interactions. He decided to go with the same protocol as my previous doctor since that had worked for us. I don't know that he's fully up on what all the newest evidence is but I felt that he was doing everything he could for me.
Be aware you may have to wait for a long time for your appointments.
Same protocol as my previous doctor. Bcps, gonal-f, menopur, cetrotide. I had a poorer response this time wth not as many eggs and so he upped the dosage a ton, which helped somewhat.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
We wanted eSet. He seemed more inclined to push multiples, even asking one more time immediately before transfer.