HRC

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
15503 Ventura Blvd
11500 Olympic Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90064
1220 La Venta Drive
Westlake Village, CA 91361
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend HRC to a friend?
European, Latino, Middle Eastern
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is gorgeous! one of the reasons I picked it was that I wanted to to be in a beautiful environment while undergoing this difficult process and HRC-Pasadena is stunning. The staff is very friendly and usually respond quickly. The waiting room is nice and cozy. Some hours it is packed and others not so much so you have to learn the flow if you'd rather avoid people. They are usually on-time, we have only had to wait around extensibly once out of the 20+ times we have been there. The pharmacy they work with is exceptional as well. Some of the weaknesses are that at times it has taken a certain staff member over three days to respond to important messages with time-sensitive questions. They resolved that by assigning someone else to our care but it was a bit frustrating at the time. Another one would be that there are signs that ask people to try not to bring children in the clinic as it can be difficult for some people, but there are days where there's lots of kids. Sometimes families with 4+ children which definitely deflates the spirit. I think staying open a bit later would be helpful as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
The Nurses and staff at the clinic are amazing. Nurse Connie has been wonderful throughout the process. We are undergoing our second round of IUI and she has supported us through and has answered every question we've had. Other staff have not been so quick to respond which was difficult at times but once Connie became my contact person everything has been smooth sailing. Doctor's schedule tend to get a bit crammed/limited, especially if he is planning to be out of town. The pharmacy they use is incredible and the office is beautiful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Consuelo Hernandez)
Connie has been absolutely amazing throughout the entire process. She is very responsive and one of the kindest people I have met and love that she got assigned to us. She always makes me smile and helps easy the anxiety when my husband and I are there for procedures. She is so compassionate and knows exactly what to say. She has actually been the highlight of my experience at this clinic.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Dr. Nelson comes across as genuine and kind. He has wonderful bedside manner and has always answered my questions with compassion and care. He seems very confident in what he does yet he has a calming presence at the same time (doesn't seem arrogant or stuck-up). Only downside is that I haven't gotten to see him as often as I would have liked as he has been traveling. IUI #1 was done by him, but baseline and followup ultrasounds have been done by nurses in his absence. Same thing has been happening with round #2. He also doesn't answer emails personally, you have to wait for the nurse or someone else from the team to talk to him, and then they relay the message. I would prefer if it was actually a bit more of a doctor/patient direct exchange.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Make sure you write down questions and bring to consults where he will be so that you can ask the doctor directly when he is in the room rather than have to wait for others to relay messages back and forth.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
It is $2100 for IUI (includes ultrasounds, sperm washing, blood work if/when needed). It was about $450 for initial blood-work for STI and genetic testing which was sent to outside lab.
3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Overall very happy with the clinic [HRC Encino]. Clean, short waits, professional staff and many services offered. Prices seem in line with other clinics as well. Didn't get great results on my first attempt, but hopeful that with a tweaked protocol will improve.... She [nurse] is great at going through and explaining what to expect and what comes next, as well as answering any questions that you may have forgotten to ask the doctor. Patient and professional, and seems to really care about my success.
3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with HRC.
Overall very happy with the clinic. Clean, short waits, professional staff and many services offered. Prices seem in line with other clinics as well. Didn't get great results on my first attempt, but hopeful that with a tweaked protocol will improve.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Consultations go pretty quickly, with not a lot of extraneous information given. He is very friendly and professional, but doesn't spend a lot of extra time going over results or the WHY of things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Bahereh)
She is great at going through and explaining what to expect and what comes next, as well as answering any questions that you may have forgotten to ask the doctor. Patient and professional, and seems to really care about my success.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
He is warm and friendly, but on the move. He gives you the essential information and answers any questions, but doesn't spend a lot of time explaining why he's choosing the protocol he's choosing or going over what to expect. Unless you know what to ask, I feel like it would be easy to leave without some information. The nurse that is helping me fills that role instead.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Have a list of questions ready. He is very knowledgable but gives the impression of also being quite busy, and unless you ask questions the appointment will go very quickly and you may not get all the info you want. Overall, though, I think he knows what he is doing and is very good at what he does.
Describe the protocols Robert Boostanfar used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Microdose lupron, follistim and menopur. I don't know WHY these were chosen, other than I think my fibroids were taken into account with the lupron. I did not respond well, however, so we're changing the protocol next time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
Medication, monitoring, and the actual retrieval costs (anesthesia, etc), as well as the cost of freezing the eggs.
Encino
Everyone [HRC] is very nice. Appointments are a breeze - they either get you in early, or right on time. Surgical facilities are beautiful and the staff there is great. Just ask a lot of questions. Sometimes i felt rushed or unable to ask, or even felt like i was supposed to know things, when in reality i didn't know what was happening and why at certain times.... My care coordinator was a little robotic. Nice, but not super compassionate. Not a very good communicator - i had to chase via email for answers to a lot of things that were unclear.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Everyone is very nice. Appointments are a breeze - they either get you in early, or right on time. Surgical facilities are beautiful and the staff there is great. Just ask a lot of questions. Sometimes i felt rushed or unable to ask, or even felt like i was supposed to know things, when in reality i didn't know what was happening and why at certain times.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Tourgeman at HRC?
I definitely felt like a human - the Dr. and staff were very caring. I would have liked more explanation and details around my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Decline to answer)
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC?
He is very compassionate and nice. I can't complain about him or his care. I am a very analytical person, so would have liked to understand more of the "why"s around my course of treatment -- why one protocol vs. another, and whether or not that is due to his professional philosophies for treatment or due to my specific case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Tourgeman at HRC?
Ask questions. If you feel rushed, slow it down.
Describe the protocols David Tourgeman used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
They were never explained to me. At least, the rationale behind why. I don't know what my protocol was called, but i was on: Gonal-F 350/day Menopur - 1-2 vials, depending Added something else toward the end of sims Not sure what i triggered with First round, retrieved 5 eggs. 3 fertilized. All tested abnormal. No transfer 2nd round, retrieved 3 eggs. 1 fertilized. Never grew. No transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC.
First round with meds (and some insurance coverage) was roughly $15k.
Describe David Tourgeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
We never got to transfer, so we hadn't discussed it.
West Los Angeles
They [HRC Fullerton] are compassionate and apologetic for Dr. Potter’s consistent tardiness. They are proficient in their roles. Sometimes communication is great and sometimes it is very poor. For example, one time I had a time sensitive question, and did not get a response until the next day. I felt that it should not have been my responsibility to follow up, but had I not, I would not have gotten the information I needed....
Describe your experience with HRC.
Communication is adequate. Better than Dr. Potter’s response time. They are compassionate and apologetic for Dr. Potter’s consistent tardiness. They are proficient in their roles. Sometimes communication is great and sometimes it is very poor. For example, one time I had a time sensitive question, and did not get a response until the next day. I felt that it should not have been my responsibility to follow up, but had I not, I would not have gotten the information I needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Potter at HRC?
With every encounter I had with Dr. Potter, he was at least 1+ hour late (consultation, surgeries, personal meetings). During our initial encounter (consultation) he failed to make eye contact, introduce himself, and the facility. We had selected him anyway, because he discussed a treatment plan that I felt was custom to my situation, and with that I was impressed. At one point, I intentionally called him out for being late, and I did not receive an apology, rather a poor excuse. Despite my dissatisfaction, I still proceeded with care as I told myself, I didn’t care about bedside manner as long as I had results. I also felt that I didn’t have a choice but to proceed as I had already made an out of pocket cash payment in full.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalija Matic )
Natalija was my care coordinator, but not a nurse. She was an ultrasound tech. She seemed skilled and knowledgeable in her role. However, I also felt she was “spread way too thin”. Her role overlapped with that of Dr. Potter. I think a lot of what should be his responsibility fell onto her lap, just simply because he didn’t have the time for it. I actually never worked with a nurse from the clinic (only surgery center) during my whole treatment there.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Strengths: intelligent, high success rates, skill Weakness: lack of compassion, lack of time, consistently late (staff members had even candidly shared this with me), poor response time, flat affect. Dr. Potter has opened a Infertility Clinic in China in the past year. As a result, I believe he is spread “way too thin”. Procedures and communication, that I believe should be done and or shared by an MD is instead done by his staff. Considering the amount of money I have paid to the clinic, I had higher expectations. For example, I had questions for Dr. Potter at one point and was told I could not communicate with him because he was in China. Another example, I had very sensitive PGS testing results, and his ultrasound tech delivered the results rather than him. Another time, I paid an additional $100 for a 15 minute meeting with him (in which he was an hour late for), regarding a treatment plan for which I had already paid $20k+ for. These instances made me feel that his primary interest was money making vs me as a patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Potter at HRC?
He is an intelligent infertility specialist. However, do not expect that he will ever be on time, you will always wait at least an hour or more with every encounter with him. Do not expect hand-holding, or compassion. He is a bookish, matter-of-fact type. Communication in my opinion is poor.
Describe the protocols Daniel Potter used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
I had a uterine septum Dr. Potter corrected prior to any egg retrievals or potential transfers, with good outcome. He initiated a insulin resistant/metformin protocol, even though my GTT yielded normal results. This was in response to me yielding a low number of eggs during the first retrieval. It did not improve the outcome for my second retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
Approx $20k for 2 retrievals, transfer, labs and US $2k for hysteroscopy/septal repair Approx $8-10k for medications
Describe Daniel Potter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Fullerton
All of the nursing staff [HRC- Oceanside] is amazing. They make you feel comfortable and supported.... This clinic has the highest pregnancy rates in Orange County. I would recommend. Ask questions and advocate for your preferred method of treatment.... We did pretty much everything that could have been offered. ICSI, assisted hatching, PGS and PGD testing, and one extra procedure for our second egg retrieval to pick better sperm for ICSI.
Describe your experience with HRC.
This clinic has the highest pregnancy rates in Orange County. I would recommend. Ask questions and advocate for your preferred method of treatment. The doctor has great credentials and a great success rate. Nursing staff is excellent. Don’t be afraid to send emails at any time. You are not alone in feeling like you are asking silly questions and the staff never makes you feel like you are. I hope my next attempt at a frozen embryo transfer is a success. Will have an appointment to discuss what went wrong with our transfer on Friday.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
The staff and technicians at the office are warm and easy to talk to. My IVF coordinator never made me feel like I was bothering her with questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
All of the nursing staff is amazing. They make you feel comfortable and supported.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
For blood work and ultrasounds he was only present for 2 appointments. I can tell he is passionate about his job and truly wants to succeed in getting couples a ‘take home baby’. Communication is sometimes hard due to his first language not being English. I would have liked to be informed more about my actual results. Ex: progesterone levels, follicle count, uterine lining
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Ask questions and ask them directly.
Describe the protocols Mickey Coffler used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
We did 2 egg retrievals in order to bank as many embryos as possible prior to PGS/PGD testing. This was suggested to keep costs down and was the right choice as our first retrieval resulted in 0 normal embryos. Second round resulted in 2. Frozen embryo transfer was a standard protocol. Lupron, progesterone, estrogen. Resulted in a BFP then a chemical pregnancy. Still waiting to review what went wrong and what could have been changed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
We did pretty much everything that could have been offered. ICSI, assisted hatching, PGS and PGD testing, and one extra procedure for our second egg retrieval to pick better sperm for ICSI. Total cost associated with services approx $40,000
Describe Mickey Coffler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
This doctor will only transfer one embryo. I would have liked to have the option to transfer 2 if we felt that was the right choice for us.
Oceanside
My issue is with the Financials team at the clinic. Twice they [HRC] said I did not sign something and then later found that I did. Also prior to starting any phase of the cycle, I ask them to provide a breakdown in costs. Each time I have to send one or two follow up emails before they respond.... The facility is very nice but extremely busy. If you have an appointment after 9am, prepare to walk into a full waiting room. I literally had nowhere to sit a few times. That said, the clinic is clean and well equipped.
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr. Wilcox is extremely busy and it seems like he uses a similar ivf protocol for many patients. However, my egg retrieval progressed just as he had predicted without OHSS which was one of my biggest worries. While he is quick in and out, his team will definitely take time to answer questions if needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nanette V)
Nanette is great at explaining the process every step of the way. She responds quickly to emails and definitely provided a lot of peace of mind throughout. When she is out of office, her backup Ana is amazing too. They definitely go above and beyond!
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr. Wilcox is very capable and confident and has an impressive track record. Everything he told me to expect has happened during treatment (ie number of follicles to expect, predicted date of egg retrieval, etc). I trust that he will always prescribe the right protocol for me. However, I do wish he had more time to spend with his patients. Aside from our initial consultation, each appointment has lasted no more than 10 min and then he is rushing off to the next patient. I know this doesn’t compromise the level of care I’m receiving. Whether it results in a BFP for us, we will see in a few weeks once we transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Wilcox at HRC?
Have a list of questions that you want to ask ready to go at each appt.
Describe the protocols John Wilcox used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Birth control pills for 18 days Ultrasound/bloodwork on CD2 Begin injections on CD3 Follistim 225 + Menopur 75 from CD3-6 Follistim 225 + Menopur 150 from CD7-9 Add in Ganirelix on CD8-9 Trigger with Lupron + HCG on CD10 Egg retrieval on morning of CD12
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
About $3K per IUI including injectable meds About $23K for IVF cycle including meds, ICSI, and PGS testing
Describe John Wilcox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
N/A - currently awaiting number of day 5 blasts
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
HRC-Encino is warm and inviting. Every time I call, I am quickly transferred to where I need to be. They’re honest about their costs. Also, they call with results on time! My only complaint is expensive parking.... Kimberly is Dr. Peck’s nurse and is amazing! She will email me back about a nervous last minute question at 10pm on a weeknight! Shanise is another nurse who is the only person to get my vein on a first try. She’s also very friendly and nice to speak to
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Peck at HRC?
Dr. Peck never wasted my time with multiple IUIs or rounds of clomid. She was honest about my chances instead of just going through the motions. Dr. Peck took the time to explain the entire situation and provide honest feedback.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly and Shanise)
Kimberly is Dr. Peck’s nurse and is amazing! She will email me back about a nervous last minute question at 10pm on a weeknight! Shanise is another nurse who is the only person to get my vein on a first try. She’s also very friendly and nice to speak to, which is very important. Currently, she is assisting with having me join a clinical study. She’s amazing at answering all my pressing questions, being open about what is needed for me to do, and flexible with her scheduling!
How was your experience with Alison Peck at HRC?
Dr Peck took time to ensure I received the care I needed and received the answers for the questions I asked. She was candid about our results and helpful with recommendations. She also took the time to qualify us for an IVF study, which may be helpful for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Peck at HRC?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Peck is very sweet, but honest.
Describe the protocols Alison Peck used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Dr. Peck originally recommended medicated cycles for anovulation. She also urged a semen sample and HSG prior to treatment. I’m so grateful that she did because I also have a blocked tube/my husband has poor morphology, motility, and DNA fragminatation. Knowing these results, she recommended IVF to save us time and money. Moreso, she recommended us to an IVF clinical trial, which will hopefully save us more money.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Peck at HRC.
300/ultrasound 80/bloodwork IUI/2,100
Alison Peck
Encino
I was assigned an exceptional nurse, Claudia who guided me during the entire process [at HRC]. I was reminded by Claudia to trust the process because it works. The day of the frozen embryo transfer all nurses and staff were positive and encouraging. They created a positive environment in the surgery center...Dr. Frederick’s costs were better if you have more than one IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC in Newport Beach is a busy office. However, I never had to wait longer than five minutes for my appointment. The surgery center is exceptional. I especially want to recognize HRC’s lab because the Embryologists ensure the best environment and growth for embryos. I do not know the details but whatever they do, it works! We did genetic testing on all our embryos to ensure that we only transferred a healthy and normal embryo.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jane Frederick at HRC?
During the initial consultation she was very familiar with our reproductive profile and asked specific questions to get a better understanding of how she would help me get pregnant. She patiently answered all of my many questions. Every interaction with Dr. Frederick she said my name and knew the details of my progress.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Claudia Ascencio)
I was assigned an exceptional nurse, Claudia who guided me during the entire process. I was reminded by Claudia to trust the process because it works. The day of the frozen embryo transfer all nurses and staff were positive and encouraging. They created a positive environment in the surgery center and I believe that also contributes to Dr. Frederick’s success rates.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
I searched for a reproductive endocrinologist for two years and went to many initial consultations. Most fertility clinics in San Diego did not have great results for my age group, I am over age 35. Also, the labs were not great. For instance, at one lab in San Diego, I saw the Embryologist enter the fertility clinic through the public door wearing workout clothes. Then she put on a lab coat and entered the lab. In my opinion, that is not the best protocol for dealing with sensitive embryos. This is why I searched outside of San Diego. I also searched outside of California. I prayed to have a doctor like Dr. Frederick. Her expertise, professionalism and compassion far exceeds all other reproductive endocrinologists I have met. During the initial consultation she was very familiar with our reproductive profile and asked specific questions to get a better understanding of how she would help me get pregnant. She patiently answered all of my many questions. She exudes confidence and had a specific plan for us to be successful. Once we made our decision to continue with Dr. Frederick, the ENTIRE IVF process was smooth. I had two banking cycles before the frozen embryo transfer. This was recommended by Dr. Frederick to ensure greater success and she was correct. Both egg retrieval procedures were smooth. I did not experience any complications and minimal pain. Dr. Frederick’s techniques are exceptional. We transferred one embryo. Everything went smoothly and my husband and I were excited because we believed we were about to have our dream come true. I was on strict bed rest for three days and I started having pregnancy symptoms within one week. Ten days later I took a home pregnancy test and it immediately was positive. I was elated. I never seen a positive pregnancy test until that day. It was amazing. The day of the first pregnancy ultrasound Dr. Frederick showed us the baby and heartbeat. I immediately started crying. Amazing feeling seeing your baby’s heart beating and knowing that he or she is growing inside of you. The day of graduation from the fertility clinic, Dr. Frederick takes a picture with you. I started crying because I am so grateful to her for helping us experience our dream of having a baby. Currently, I am 10 weeks pregnant and baby is growing strong. We will go back to Dr. Frederick to have siblings for this baby. I recommend Dr. Frederick if you want to have a healthy baby. Her protocol and techniques work!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jane Frederick at HRC?
Pray and trust that you selected an excellent doctor. Dr. Frederick is experienced, professional and compassionate. She truly wants you to get pregnant and have a healthy baby. Trust her process, it works. I believe having a positive mindset will help in getting the results you want.
Describe the protocols Jane Frederick used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Because I am over age 35 and did not have many embryos at my first IVF cycle (with a different doctor), Dr. Frederick recommended two banking IVF cycles. She also recommended genetic testing and freezing embryos. This is to ensure she transfers a healthy normal embryo for a higher chance of success. Dr. Frederick recommended transferring one embryo because I had genetic testing. I used Gonal-F, Menopur, micro Lupron, Ganirelix, Lupron, Progesterone injections and suppositories, Estradiol, Doxycycline, Medrol
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
Dr. Frederick’s costs were better if you have more than one IVF cycle.
Describe Jane Frederick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
We agreed with Dr. Frederick to transfer a single embryo. We had our embryos genetically tested. We wanted the best success rate and agreed to transfer one embryo.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic [HRC Pasadena] was very beautiful and clean. The phlebotomists were always very nice and welcoming. Front desk was okay (could improve). There is no waiting so that was great. The ladies from financial department were also great...My nurse coordinator always seem upset or bothered when I would ask for updates and for her to explain in detail what was going on with my eggs. She many times would forget to send me updates on my cycle during stims. For example when to start/stop a certain medication ect.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic was very beautiful and clean. The phlebotomists were always very nice and welcoming. Front desk was okay (could improve). There is no waiting so that was great. The ladies from financial department were also great.
We were treated as a business transaction throughout the whole cycle. He also didn't perform the proper tests needed before starting our cycle and only went based on our age (27/30) giving us false hopes. I never got to see him the day of the egg retrieval or after. Never called even when we found out our cycle had failed and we had 0 embryos to transfer. He has no bedside manners. Wouldn't recommend him or his team.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
He has no bedside manners, he shows no compassion for his patients. The first consult is great but once you lock in the payment everything changes. I hardly saw him during my cycle and my follow up appt after failed cycle was only 5 minutes. He never explained to me about other alternatives.
To please not go based on yelp reviews. Dr. Wilcox treats many surrogates and that's a completely different scenario as surrogates never pay out of pocket. It's different when you are an actual infertility patient and you're only seen as a check.
Apparently he doesn't do fresh transfers, I was under gonal and menapour during stims. I had to and extra 5 days of stims and it was pointless and doing extra days can mess up the quality of the eggs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
I paid approximately $25,000 not including extra meds for pushing my egg retrieval and other basic blood tests needed in order to start cycle.
I didn't get to transfer.
2 IUI, IVF
conflicting information was provided to us [by at nurse at HRC], but was immediately corrected. There was a time when perscriptions weren't called in, but it didn't effect my treatment, just the price, unfortunately...Strengths include cleanliness. Weakness is that on some days, although your appointment is at 9 am, you won't be getting out of the clinic until 1030 or 11. This is due to how busy the clinic is. It makes it difficult to plan for when you have to take time off of work to make these morning appointments.
2 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian has always been very friendly and professional. Always made my husband and I feel very comfortable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
I have a different coordinator for IVF, but am reviewing the coordinator I had for IUI. Michelle was very friendly. Unfortunately, she was difficult to understand while on the phone, in person, and though email. The language barrier was too difficult to overcome. She was very nice though. All the nursing staff at this clinic have been very friendly and compassionate.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian has been very helpful. Although our IUI attempts haven't been successful, we continue to go to him because we're confident in his work. He is always very friendly and when he says he'll call us, he does, which makes us feel very comfortable with him. The one negative thing I can say about Dr. Norian is that he is always VERY busy. So sometimes when we are seeing him he is trying to get off to another patient, which makes it a little uncomfortable when you're asking a lot of questions, since my husband and I are fertility newbies. Overall, I really like Dr. Norian, which is why we continue to see him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Norian at HRC?
Be prepared to wait past the time of your appointment.
Describe the protocols John Norian used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Dr. Norian recommended two IUI attempts. If neither was successful, we would do IVF, which is what we are currently doing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
IUI attempt -- $2000 IUI meds -- ~$500 IVF attempt (insurance coverage included) -- ~$4000 IVF Medications (some medication covered by insurance) -- ~$5000 PGS -- $5500
Describe John Norian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Dr. Norian is always on the side for Singleton births, it seems. But always discusses with his patients their thoughts.
Tubal Blockage, Other
The clinic [HRC] was fine. My only problem was I was closest to the Westlake office but the doctor was only there in the mornings only. The afternoons he was in Encino so it made scheduling harder (especially since I worked nights). Also all the procedures (minus basic ultrasounds) were done in Encino so it was a bit of a drive for those. The offices themselves were nice and the rooms were nice.
Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic was fine. My only problem was I was closest to the Westlake office but the doctor was only there in the mornings only. The afternoons he was in Encino so it made scheduling harder (especially since I worked nights). Also all the procedures (minus basic ultrasounds) were done in Encino so it was a bit of a drive for those. The offices themselves were nice and the rooms were nice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Feinman at HRC?
The doctor was great and very personable. However the medical team I did not feel like they made me feel like a human. I had to call them all he time to get results that were supposed to be called to me. They were not very kind during my miscarriages. It was frustrating.
They did not follow through with results, I had to constantly call. When I had my miscarriage they called me to come in for an ultrasound to check the baby (like I was still pregnant). They were not compassionate when telling me about my miscarriage after one of my blood tests. Overall it was a frustrating experience
What specific things went wrong at HRC?
How was your experience with Michael Feinman at HRC?
I loved the doctor. He was very upfront with his opinions and thoughts. He didn't sugar coat things. Sometimes I wish he would explain a few things in more detail but thats about my only complaint. He was very personable and I felt like he was invested in our situation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Feinman at HRC?
Ask questions and don't let him dismiss you. Make sure you understand everything for your own piece of mind
Describe the protocols Michael Feinman used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
I did three embryo transfers with donor eggs. The first cycle ended with a miscarriage early on. The second we switched the type of progesterone and it didn't end being enough so we got a negative pregnancy. We did a faux transfer after that to make sure my progesterone levels were good before doing our third transfer. I got pregnant on my third but unfortunately miscarried again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Feinman at HRC.
The initial cost for us was about $23,000 for the first cycle including meds (we used a donor, (this does not include the donor agency fees). After that not counting meds we paid about $2500 per transfer (and that was a military discount, I think the original price was around $3600).
Describe Michael Feinman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
He suggested a single transfer. Its less of a risk than with twins even though the percentage to get pregnant decreasing slightly. He allows you to choose and I elected to do a single each time.
Michael Feinman
12 Eggs Frozen
The facility [HRC] is nice and clean and everyone is friendly. I usually didn’t have to wait very long to be seen, but it does get busier later in the morning. Some places have you pay for each exam, blood draw, etc, but this one has kind of a package deal, which I liked...Elizabeth was very personable, responsive, and helpful. You actually email the nurse and another email address so someone else can also help you if your nurse isn’t available, which happened once.
12 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with HRC.
The facility is nice and clean and everyone is friendly. I usually didn’t have to wait very long to be seen, but it does get busier later in the morning. Some places have you pay for each exam, blood draw, etc, but this one has kind of a package deal, which I liked. But maybe they average out to be similar in price, I don’t know.
Dr. Nelson is very personable and I enjoyed working with him. He explained things clearly, let me know what to expect, and I feel like he really cares about his patients. He was understanding and accommodating to my hectic work schedule and made sure to amp things up so that I got enough eggs during my second retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Torres)
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
I really like Dr. Nelson and would go back to him again. He’s warm and engaging and I felt very secure in going through this process with him. He explained things well and gave me a good idea of what to expect.
Start ASAP because some months are busier than others. I was lucky and got in right away when I called to make a consultation, but I think I just had lucky timing.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Nelson used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Because my hormone levels were good and I initially had a good number of follicles (I’m 41), I think we just did a more standard plan for egg harvesting. But then I only got 4 eggs, so he changes the regimen a bit and then I got 7 the next time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
It’s a package that includes visits, ultrasounds, and blood draws. And the retrieval costs.
Describe Jeffrey Nelson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Wilcox's [HRC] nurse team was amazing. From his nurse practitioner Tiffany, to my assigned IVF coordinator Teresa, to his awesome nurses Nanette, Ana, and Kat, I always felt that everyone knew where I was in my cycle and what the next steps were. I never felt that his team was confused as to which patient I was. i never felt like a number. My preferred mode of communication is email, and sometimes I would email a random question. If Teresa was not able to respond quickly, one of the other nurses was so quick to respond.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with HRC.
Front staff was nice enough, but could have been a bit more welcoming of patients. I have spent a lot of time there, and they are consistently nice enough. This is a highly emotional experience, so I feel that the more smiles I see, the better the experience. It would be nice to be greeted to a warm, friendly, and understanding receptionist when I am going in for transfers, or going in for what I know is going to be a negative beta test. I will say that they are efficient and I am in and out as soon as possible. The entire facility is amazing and I can see that they value appearance. It is beautiful as soon as you walk out of the elevator. I love that it is always clean, and their coffee/tea station is fully stocked. There is always a place to sit, which is nice.
Dr. Wilcox is a great doctor with calm demeanor. He or his nurse practitioner did all of my ultrasounds, which is great. However, I never spoke to Dr. Wilcox after each failed transfer. Even just a quick phone call to show his support would have been nice. Maybe that is too much to ask, but this is an extremely emotional experience and sometimes the bad news/aftermath of bad news is better received when it comes from the doctor. His awesome nursing team called me by phone/email, and were always prompt. But that is the only thing I would have liked from Dr. Wilcox.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Teresa Fontanilla)
Dr. Wilcox's nurse team was amazing. From his nurse practitioner Tiffany, to my assigned IVF coordinator Teresa, to his awesome nurses Nanette, Ana, and Kat, I always felt that everyone knew where I was in my cycle and what the next steps were. I never felt that his team was confused as to which patient I was. i never felt like a number. My preferred mode of communication is email, and sometimes I would email a random question. If Teresa was not able to respond quickly, one of the other nurses was so quick to respond. I never felt like I was waiting for an answer. When I came to my appointments, I always felt like they knew who i was. I really appreciated that!
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr. Wilcox's strength is his very calm demeanor, which I equated to confidence. He was always cool and collected, and his tone of voice was very comforting. He answered every question I had (except with the last transfer) as if he had always known the answer. He never faltered in his responses, which made me feel at ease. Dr. Wilcox's weakness, as previously stated, is that he could be a bit more supportive. After each failed transfer, I never connected with him as far as the next steps. I always spoke to my IVF coordinator, who would speak on his behalf. After each failed transfer (I had 3), I would have liked to connect with him or even have him call me with the next steps. I think that adds the human factor; the idea that he's not just a busy doctor, but a human who actually cares about my progress. During the last ultrasound prior to my 3rd FET, I asked him a question and he gave me a single word response before leaving the room. I did not feel very supported/validated at that time. I would say that for the most part, though, Dr. Wilcox was professional and I was confident with my treatment plan. His protocol always worked for me because I responded well to medications. Everything looked picture perfect beforehand. He adjusted the treatment plan with each failed FET, and I had cervical dilations and an ERA to help diagnose possible issues with implantation at the cellular level. I am confident in his treatment plans for me for the future as well.
He may come off a little too calm, but that seems to be his personality and bedside manner. If you don't feel comfortable by that, I would go with another doctor. He was always consistently cool as a cucumber.
EGG RETRIEVAL IN JUNE 2017: Birth control pills started on 5/19/17-5/28/17. 5/30/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 6/2/17: Started Gonal F 300 units, Menopur 75 units, Omnitrope 0.25 mL every night. 6/6/17: Appt for ultrasound/labs. Based on lab results, I continued all medications as ordered and increased Menopur to 100 units. 6/8/17: appt for labs/ultrasound. Follicles growing well, responding to meds well. 6/10/17: appt for labs/ultrasound. 6/11/17: trigger injection. 6/13/17: egg retrieval under general anesthesia. 19 eggs retrieved, 13 eggs mature, 11 fertilized via ICSI, 10 blasts, 5 PGS normal embryos (3 boys/2 girls). FET #1 IN AUGUST 2017: 7/1//17:take last birth control pill. 7/12/17 appt for ultrasound, labs for BHCG and estrogen. 7/16/17: Start Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for 2 doses. Start prenatal vitamins, dha, and folic acid daily. 7/22/17: increase Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 7/26/17: Appt for ultrasound/labs for progesterone and estrogen. 7/30/17: Started Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily and Progesterone 200mg lozenges sublingually 3 times daily. 8/4/17: FET with 1 male PGS embryo. Dr. Wilcox had difficulty accessing my uterus because my cervix is anatomically shaped differently. 8/16/17: Beta HCG negative. FET#2 IN OCTOBER 2017: 9/22/17: Dr. Wilcox completed a cervical dilation and endometrial scratch, because he had difficulty accessing my uterus during FET #1. 9/27/17 started Delestrogen 0.1 mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses. Started prenatal vitamins, DHA, and folic acid daily. 10/3/17: increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 10/6/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 10/11/17 started Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily and Progesterone 200mg lozenge sublingually 3 times daily. 10/16/17: FET with 2 PGS normal embryos (1 male/1 female) under general anesthesia. 10/27/17: Beta negative. ERA CYCLE IN DECEMBER 2017: 11/2/17 started birth control. 11/11/17 last birth control pill today. 11/15/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 11/16/17 started Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses. 11/22/17 Increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 11/27/17 appt for labs/ultrasounds. 11/30/17 started Progesterone 1mL IM daily and Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily. 12/5/17: ERA biopsy. Started back on birth control pills. FET#3 IN JANUARY 2018: 12/22/17 cervical dilation under general anesthesia. 12/28/17 took last birth control pill today. 1/2/18 appt for labs, ultrasound, and endometrial scratch. Started Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses, and started prenatal vitamins, folic acid, and dha. 1/8/18 increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 1/12/18 appt for labs and ultrasound. Dr. Wilcox saw what could have been hydrosalpinx on right side fallopian tube. 1/16/18 started Progesterone 1mL IM daily at 9am, and Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily. 1/22/18 FET #3 with 1 PGS male embryo under general anesthesia. 2/2/18 Beta negative. CURRENT PLAN OF CARE: referred back to OB for possible laparoscopy of right side pelvic area, or placement of Essure on right side fallopian tube.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
The cost for an IVF cycle (egg retrieval, 1st FET, PGS testing): $16,565. If I opted for no PGS testing, it would have been $12,110. Each FET $3150. General anesthesia $1500. Endometrial scratch $300. Cervical dilation $1100. ERA test $870. Biopsy $260.
My doctor felt that I would be successful with a singleton transfer, but ultimately left it up to me. He was willing to transfer 2 PGS embryos, though it was not his recommendation.
2013 - 2018
A few years ago when we first started treatment they had a strict policy about not allowing children especially babies to the clinic. That was great while I was childless at the time and going through so many different feelings related to infertility...All of the cycle treatment appointments were under the IVF or embryo transfer bills. There was no seperate bills if needing extra appointment....The lobby room is huge
Describe your experience with HRC.
A few years ago when we first started treatment they had a strict policy about not allowing children especially babies to the clinic. That was great while I was childless at the time and going through so many different feelings related to infertility. I was disheartened to see that this changed during my last cycle. The lobby room is huge and has space for all of their patients.
He always makes me feel like a person with valid feelings and concerns. I like his personality. He always seems to remember details about our everyday life not related to infertility. He connects with his patients and spouses.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
I think the biggest weakness is the number of patients Dr. Neslon treats now. When we first started seeing him it seemed it was easier to make appointments and their was more flexibility and availability. 2 years ago it seemed as if it was harder to book an appointment. That being said, he will go out of his way to book Saturday appointments if needed for the best treatment plan for your body.
He his knowledgable about infertility and comes with years of experience.
We had male infertility. We used ICSI with IVF with a fresh transfer the first time. With the second transfer we did a frozen transfer. We used typical IVF treatment and adjusted medicines based upon my levels since infertility was not female related. We have used 2 eggs every time because of my age and the high number of embryos created.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
Yes, we were educated about the number used and the reasoning. We also, were informed that if something happened to one of the 2 embryos during unfreezing they would unfreeze another 2 and transfer 3 in that case or however many survived. That they would rather transfer 2 then just one. Again, BC i have a high number of embryos.
West Los Angeles
Sometimes the waiting area [HRC - Pasadena] was overflowing with patients, and coordinators. I guess it's great for them, but sometimes no seating and long wait time isn't great for me. At times, the waiting area can get quit loud with everyone talking and the staff calling out patients names very softly so we cant all hear in the hallway near the elevators.... Flor is just the sweetest. Im sure I bugged her a few time with emailing so much, but she responded fast & answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Sometimes the waiting area was overflowing with patients, and coordinators. I guess it's great for them, but sometimes no seating and long wait time isn't great for me. At times, the waiting area can get quit loud with everyone talking and the staff calling out patients names very softly so we cant all hear in the hallway near the elevators.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb was the nicest ever. My husband & I felt very comfortable with him and he answered all of our questions. We never felt rushed, even though there were always many patients in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Flor Parada)
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb is very professional & caring. We really didn't feel as if he was trying the bare minimum in trying to help me conceive. He did what we wanted, (within reason, we wanted to try pills 1st & he explained why we would go the more aggresive route since I have PCOS). He's a wonderful, intelligent, well mannered physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Go with an open mind & have questions. Dont be disappointed if the route you want to try 1st is not the same route he wants to try. He will give you his honest opinion.
Describe the protocols Bradford Kolb used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
We checked blood levels, then we checked to see if my tubes were blocked with a water ultrasound (in office). My tubes were fine & I didnt have any polyps in my uterus. I do have PCOS though. So he wanted to try Gonal-f 200iu nightly injections. 9 injections all together. We checked on ultrasound if my lining was good & we did IUI on Nov 5, 2017. We did progesterone inserts daily as well. Unfortunately, a pregnancy did not happen. He says next time we will be more aggresive with medications.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
All together, bloodwork, ultrasounds & IUI, (not incl. Meds as rhey were purchased from an outside company) we paid approx. $2300-$2500. (Meds were an additional $1600 from an outside pharm)
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
They [HRC - Encino] are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened...The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized... my husband had to donate sperm twice because they didn't test the first time within FDA guidelines. I don't understand why they can't test the first sample instead of needing all new (expensive) bloodwork and semen donation all over again.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with HRC.
They are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened. Also, I had a friend pre-pay my IVF procedure and the clinic promised me that it could not be refunded and was safe for me to continue no matter what, but then the head of finances called me and said that my friend got it refunded back right in the middle of me getting treatments and the lady who promised this could not happen did not even apologize for the screw up. The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized. They charge twice as much for bloodwork as an outside clinic, so I would say that they are overly expensive. .
His main nurse, Debbie treats me like a friend, but Dr Kolb can be mechanical at times. But I don't take it personally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Debbie V)
Nurse Debbie is the BEST. She even lets me text her on her personal cell phone because of the nature of the urgency with my scheduling. I understand ethical and professional boundaries, so I do not abuse this privilege and neither does she. She is very helpful and always there when I need to come in on a moment;s notice; and she always finds a way to get me in whether she is going to be in the office or not. She is warm and empathetic.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr Kolb was not a good communicator when I first saw him. He just told me that I only have a remote chance of conceiving and sent me on my way without telling me there were treatment options, I guess he assumed I knew about IVF and all of that, But I had never heard of anything prior. Dr Kolb has apologized to me before for seeming sterile and cold, but like I said, I don't take things personally.
Do not take his bedside manner personally. He is regarded as one of the top fertility doctor's in the world, I have seen the reviews and magazine covers and he has a wonderful nursing staff. He is non-threatening and would never be considered creepy or anything like that. You can trust him.
He makes it clear that he is trying to save me money by starting off with less expensive meds and overtime my eggs would not respond, he would up the medications and we would just keep trying. I am about to try my last cycle with the most expensive medications available thus far.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
$500 for bloodwork. $600. a year sperm storage fee. $9.740.00 IVF procedure. $1,000. drop cycle fees, $240 Ultra sound visits. $50.00 consultation. $500 for sperm donation. $4,000. egg donor medications.
Describe Bradford Kolb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
He will not transfer anymore than 2 at a time, but my nurse says that I might be able to talk him into trying 3.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
We liked Dr. Norian very much, but his staff [at HRC] always seems overwhelmed. The nurses assigned to us did not get back to us in a timely manner and there were often mistakes on the treatment plans...I don't think I would recommend his practice -- if someone was set on going there I would advise them to ask lots of questions and push for more tests...The nursling staff always seemed overwhelmed. I rarely felt supported and always felt like I was chasing them down. The nursing coordinator was responsive, but she was not the one managing my specific treatment/ care.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is Pasadena was wonderful. The nursing staff was warm, friendly, patient and always made us feel very comfortable. All of the other staff was great as well - encouraged questions and never seems rushed. We almost never waited -- they were on time and efficient.
We liked Dr. Norian very much, but his staff always seems overwhelmed. The nurses assigned to us did not get back to us in a timely manner and there were often mistakes on the treatment plans. After 2 miscarriages with Dr. Norian (1 before we started seeing him I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis and I couldn't help but feel it could have been caught earlier.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Cynthia)
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian is kind and smart and was easy to talk to. He always addressed all of our questions with detail and patience. Dr. Norian explained all the options -- risks and gave his opinion on best course of treatment. In the operating room he was warm and made me feel comfortable even during a D&C. When any results become available Dr. Norian called himself and explained everything and made himself available for questions. He remained positive and was always optimistic. We have decided to switch Doctors/ clinics because in the end I did feel like he could have been more thorough and I believe things will missed and mismanaged.
We did multiple embryo transfer and after the second miscarriage he suggested we leave the frozen embryo from the that retrieval and do a new retrieval with testing. I wish we did the testing from the start and wish that was suggested.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Strengths: The Surgical team, PA's and coordinators. HRC Newport Beach has a fascinating state of the art embryology lab, surgical center and office all in the same building. They have a very organized process in place to coordinate treatment. Lab and ultrasound appointments were always fast. Weaknesses: They are a very busy practice and might have some extended wait for doctor visits.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The HRC practice is very busy; it's hard not to feel like a number. The process is very transactional and initially it felt as if my treatment plan was the 'cookie cutter' for all new patients. Of course that was not the case and changes were made to my cycle as it progressed. There was great communication and I felt that I was in the best hands. I will also add that making me feel like a "human" is not my top priority, getting pregnant and becoming a mother is.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
The coordinators and surgical staff are the most incredible and caring team. They are as compassionate and they are knowledgable.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Dr. Potter is very passionate about what he does. He's compassionate yet direct when discussing treatment and outcomes. He runs quite a bit late at times but most doctors who perform procedures usually do.
I would probably advise to prepare for a longer wait time and to not expect Dr.Potter to be the warmest. Everything "infertility" entails waiting periods. We're all there to get pregnant and if the main focus is the skill and success rates of the doctor and practice, then waiting a little extra is worth it.
The cycle began with birth control pills for 3 weeks, Lupron 10 units for 10 days then Lupron 5 units for 10 days, 10 days of Gonal and 10 days of Menopur. The cycle was monitored with ultrasounds and blood work. The dosages of Gonal and Menopur were adjusted once 4 days before the egg retrieval. I was also instructed to take 2 hCG Ovidrel (trigger) shots about 35 hours prior to the retrieval. The day before the egg retrieval, I began my 5 day dosage of Doxycycline (terrible tasting pills). After the retrieval, I began estradiol (injection), progesterone suppositories, baby aspirin and continued with prenatal vitamins. I observed the recommended 72 hours of bedrest with light activity after. After realizing my hCG numbers weren't doubling, Dr. Potter quickly ordered more blood work. My progesterone was low and had me come into the office on the same day and disbursed enough progesterone for the next few days until my rx from the pharmacy arrived. My hCG numbers doubled after that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
My insurance does not cover IVF. The IVF cycle including ICSI, PGD, anesthesia and labs: $15,900. Medications: approx $4,500 since a few were covered by insurance. The costs of IVF has increased as of the end of last year but I don't know what they are.
Dr. Potter briefly discussed this during our initial consultation and he appeared neutral. Since my cycle resulted in 1 normal embryo, it was not discussed in depth.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Nursing staff [at HRC] had failed at one point to tell my doctor that my OPK kit had changed. I came in the next day and told him and he was surprised he wasn't informed. They had also at one point forgotten to order a prescription and we had to rush it to the house...Each of my IUI were about $2,500 which included ultrasounds, medications (clomid, trigger shot, progesterone), and back to back IUI sessions with sperm wash. During my last IUI they had me pay per day rather than the package since that was slightly cheaper.
Other, Prefer not to answer
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
It is a very nice facility that has all the bells and whistles. However, I would rather have a less attractive lobby and cheaper pricing. :) The facility is easy to find and parking is relatively easy as well.
His office support staff make you feel like a number but him as a doctor makes you feel like a human. The front desk and ladies that take you to the room make it seem like you are putting them out. His nurse who was on my case is delightful as well as Dr. Nelson.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
Liz my primary nurse was much better than the others at the office. She was kind and encouraging. The other support staff were quick with me and pretty emotionless. Prior to seeing Liz or Dr. Nelson you very much just feel like a number being pushed through the system. There were also a few times where they didn't either order my medication or some thought they didn't when they did. They don't feel very organized or informed.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
My doctor is very knowledgeable and I trusted that he knew the best course of action. He explains things thoroughly and in a way to help me understand. This might be my issue more than his but during ultrasounds I tend to not ask questions and I think later I should have asked. He doesn't necessarily give you more information than you need to know. Ask questions and he will explain what he sees and what is going on very clearly. He makes me feel comfortable and I feel he is capable.
Ask questions and gather as much information as you can. Getting a hold of him to talk to him directly is hard. All communication is done through his support staff.
My husband and I have unexplained infertility and sometimes anovulation. Because we are both on the younger side he elected to have us try IUI with Clomid. I started clomid on about day 3 of my cycle and then I took OPK and if I saw a kit change I came in for them to asses. If I didn't see a change then they would trigger shot me. They gave me the shot even with the kit change to ensure that I would ovulate. Then I came in within the next day or two and had one IUI done (sperm wash included). We used my husband's fresh sperm. The following day I would have a second IUI and sperm wash. From there they placed me on progesterone for two weeks just as a precaution (I didn't have progesterone level issues). I did 3 rounds of IUI just like this and all 3 times had negative results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
N/A. We haven't done that option yet.
PCOS, Unexplained
The office staff and nurses [at HRC-Rancho Cucagmonga] have been excellent. They are GREAT about communication and scheduling. I have never had to worry if they will get me scheduled in my range of cycle days for a procedure. They explain all the details to me, answer my questions, and are always friendly. With infertility being a sensitive and difficult time for many, it’s so important to have a positive and friendly staff to support those patients.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is great about communication and scheduling - I’ve had absolutely no problems with them! I feel like I call them all the time and they are always so helpful. The initial paperwork, labs, ultrasounds, etc were all quick and painless because they had thoroughly explained everything.
Dr. Norian has been excellent. He takes plenty of time to sit down and explain every detail without being rushed. He answers all our questions thoroughly, and you can tell he truly cares. He is empathetic and understanding regarding financial concerns. We feel like he truly cares about us as humans and not just another number. Very lucky to have found him!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
The office staff and nurses have been excellent. They are GREAT about communication and scheduling. I have never had to worry if they will get me scheduled in my range of cycle days for a procedure. They explain all the details to me, answer my questions, and are always friendly. With infertility being a sensitive and difficult time for many, it’s so important to have a positive and friendly staff to support those patients.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
We have had nothing but good experiences with Dr. Norian. My favorite is that he is very intelligent, well educated, and up to date on evidence based practice and research. It’s important to me that I feel my doctor knows what he’s doing and is up to date on the best options. Next, he is caring. He takes plenty of time with us at each visit to answer questions. We feel that he is truly warm, compassionate, and cares about our success with fertility!
Go to him!!! He is excellent and we trust him completely. Their office, staff, and nurses are great as well!
We are still in the process of our treatment - but are remaining hopeful and positive with the plan Dr Norian has layed out. We have both changed our diets and added specific vitamins. We have both received lab draws, an SA by my husband, and a U/S on me showing a threshold for PCOS. Metformin may possibly be added later. We have SGH scheduled followed by IUI depending on our results from above.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
I do not know the specific costs of many items yet - but the staff is VERY understanding of financial concerns and help in any way possible. I am very thankful for that.
Not applicable
Rancho Cucamonga
The clinic [HRC-Pasadena] is very clean and professional. They welcome you openly and allow you to address whatever questions you have prior setting up an appointment with one of their physicians. Weaknesses: I had issues with billing. They seem to not have a good communication with the rest of the team members/nurses. If I did not review my bills carefully I would have overpaid on certain visits.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is very clean and professional. They welcome you openly and allow you to address whatever questions you have prior setting up an appointment with one of their physicians. Weaknesses: I had issues with billing. They seem to not have a good communication with the rest of the team members/nurses. If I did not review my bills carefully I would have overpaid on certain visits.
At times, I felt like my time with the doctor or his team members were not fully met, yet it was just another appointment. The nurse coordinators were not available to my needs or questions as I predicted or wished for. .
Elizabeth is very thorough and detailed when communicating with me. At times, I felt like I had to remind her or the team regarding things that needed during my cycle.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Dr. Nelson has great bed side manners; he is very calm and collective. He likes to take his time to review your case and answer whatever questions you may have. He is compassionate and available to his patient's needs. I felt comfortable being his patient.
Ask questions; do not hesitate to say or voice your opinion/concerns.
During my first cycle, which was a fresh transfer after a 5-day egg retrieval I resulted in my first pregnancy; however, I felt that my body was too exhausted to take on a pregnancy after being through so much hormones and treatment. It would have progressed to my knowledge if we froze the embryos and did a Frozen Embryo Transfer vs. a fresh one. On my second cycle, we did a FET with injections [estrogen and progesterone injections] along with baby aspirin and levothyroxine. This cycle did result in a pregnancy, however at 6 weeks into the pregnancy resulted in another miscarriage.
Combination of both IVF cycles we paid about 25K [$25,000]
My RE transferred 2 embryos per cycle; I asked what his preference was whether 1 or 2 he suggested 2 since I am young and have no fertility issues.
Pasadena
I wish they [HRC- Rancho Cucamonga] had an online portal to check status of everything you were waiting on. Also it would make it easier to to reference when you had questions.... In the beginning it felt good, the nurses remembered me, they called me when they said they would and updated me when they said they would. Then a year went by and it was like I was forgotten. The staff changed and the dr was more rushed every time I spoke to him.
Describe your experience with HRC.
I wish they had an online portal to check status of everything you were waiting on. Also it would make it easier to to reference when you had questions. Any videos and medication resources would be nice. The more help the better
In the beginning it felt good, the nurses remembered me, they called me when they said they would and updated me when they said they would. Then a year went by and it was like I was forgotten. The staff changed and the dr was more rushed every time I spoke to him. My cycles were constantly pushed back and moved because it didn’t fit the drs time table. It was heartbreaking. When he finally told me that I wouldn’t get pregnant without doing an ivf cycle I had a breakdown and no one seemed to care. I drove home while having a panic attake. My husband and I just want to have a baby, we knew it would be emotionally tough but we didn’t realize that we wouldn’t get support from our clinic. When we signed on for an ivf cycle we started hearing more from our nurses. After the 2nd transfer I started to bleed 4 weeks into it. After 2 hours I finally got a hold of a nurse who advised me to go on bedrest for the next 2 days. Regularless if I was going to lose them anyway, some urgency would have been nice. I definitely don’t feel important to them, and I don’t quite know what to about my next cycle.
The various nurses I spoke with were great. There was a nurse that couldn’t understand my drs notes so she told me I would hav two have a d and c, when it really meant to “discontinue”. That was an awful conversation
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
My dr is good with being analytical and to the point. Not very good with bedside manner. It’s a sensitive subject and sometimes you need to read your patients. When you are about to tell them they will not have a child on their own, it breaks them. This is regardless if ivf is the cure. We don’t look a ourselves as women anymore
Make sure you have support from your SO. Do not expect it from them and make sure you ask a lot of questions, it for st matter how weird it sounds coming out of your mouth
At first we tried letrezole for the IU I, then clomid for the next one. Then we tried femera, my pinning wasn’t thick enough so that cycle was canceled. Then we went to ivf and under went the stimming process, then went to injectable progesterone and vaginal progesterone, I was also on levothyroxine during the enmities process. Slowly that was increased
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
The IUis were around $900 each, we did 2, medication was about $300. The ivf cycle was $21000, and the medication after transfer was $1800
Both transfers felt the same, the second transfer was with 2 embryos
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
The HRC lab is onsite and their facilities are clean. One negative is there is no free parking onsite. Recommendation is to schedule appointments first thing in the morning because they are less busy....My nurse saved me! She is amazing and I don't think I could go through this journey without her. She gives me the confidence I need and reassures me that I'm ok when I have mental breakdowns.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr. Boostanfar has good bedside manners. When he first diagnosed me with infertility I was crying. He hugged me and reassured me everything was going to be ok. He seems very knowledgeable with infertility and creates custom protocols.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Brandy)
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Boostanfar has good bedside manners. He is comforting and empathetic. He gave me confidence when I was nervous for egg retrieval. Shares success stories of women with similar conditions to give me confidence and boost my optimism.
Ask questions and why he's doing certain protocols.
After 2 HSG tests my results for my right ovary was still unclear. I mentioned that my childhood gynecologist believed I had endometriosis. Dr. Boostanfar recommended that I take care of my endometriosis before starting IVF. He was insistent about laparoscopic surgery with robotics. At that time there were no qualified doctors in Los Angeles to perform that procedure and he referred me to Dr. Nazaht in San Francisco. Dr. Nazaht removed my stage 2 & 3 endo from my uterus and colon. He also repaired my uterus that was beginning to become bicornuate. Dr. Nazaht also diagnosed me with one ovary (lost right side due to torsion). Then started IVF. Did PGS testing and ERA. ERA identified that my lining was inflamed possibly due to endometriosis and therefore began depot lupron procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
They told me the IVF cycle was going to cost about $20K-25K not including medications. Including medications, I will be spending around $35k for this IVF cycle.
Describe Robert Boostanfar's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
My doctor scared me about multiple embryo transfer and the potential health risks.
Encino
Financial peopl [at HRC Pasadena] lack detail. You pay out of pocket and it’s a set price but if you go through insurance they bill much more for the procedure. Getting answers and refund is a nightmare...Clinic has its own parking lot and is very private. The staff are nice, phlebotomist are great. Labs and ultrasound are quick...Our nurse is very sweet and answered questions to the best of knowledge that she has. He explained medication mechanism very well. Unfortunately I feel that lately she has been extremely busy and sometimes lack of details. Other staff members have tired to answer questions but they appear to be clueless and in fact just made us feel like we cannot trust how our case is being handled.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Clinic has its own parking lot and is very private. The staff are nice, phlebotomist are great. Labs and ultrasound are quick. Decorations can be update. The room men used to produce sample needs to be updated, video needs to be updated and sometimes headphones do not work. Financial people lack detail. You pay out of pocket and it’s a set price but if you go through insurance they bill much more for the procedure. Getting answers and refund is a nightmare.
The office is very busy and it feels like going to a dentist. Painful quick and goodbye. You get labs, an ultrasound and a few seconds after with the doctor. But really you spend 99% of the time with the coordinator. Dr Kolb is very pleasant and so are the nurses. But he just does not have time to elaborate on his plans and answer questions. It felt very personal to us and it did not come off that way to the team. There is no real discussion on plan of action, why things did not work out and what we can do next time to decrease chances of failure.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Great bedside manner. Very educated, calm and can be very reassuring...when he actually spends time to explain. You can tell he is a very busy doctor and most likely not fully invest in your case as he has too much of a patient load to remember. I feel like things are easily overlooked. Treatment feels like trial and error. I do not get a sense that he realizes how emotional and financially hard it the process is.
Research and formulate questions before visits and after visits and insist on answers. You pay a lot for treatment and should be able to feel like you’re needs are being met.
First cycle was done using standard protocol which is menopur, gonal F and citrotide then lastly trigger shot HCG. Second protocol was Lupron, follistim, menopur and hcg trigger. We did not get any explanation really on why he decided this would work best.
The whole process cost us 35K so far and no success
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Everything is self contained at this clinic [HRC - Pasadena] making it a one stop. You will see your doctor, coordinator, lab, financial and surgical team all at the same office! With everything in the same location appointments are less stressful. The clinic is large and in high demand. However even with a large patient doctor ratio you are never rushed.... Dr. Kolb has a wonderful bedside manner. He greets you with a hug and genuinely cares about his patients.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Everything is self contained at this clinic making it a one stop. You will see your doctor, coordinator, lab, financial and surgical team all at the same office! With everything in the same location appointments are less stressful. The clinic is large and in high demand. However even with a large patient doctor ratio you are never rushed.
Dr. Kolb has a wonderful bedside manner. He greets you with a hug and genuinely cares about his patients. He returns phone calls personally and always makes sure you understand what is going on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Monica)
Monica was assigned as our coordinator and main person of contact. She handled everything from medication ordering and appointment scheduling. She was wonderful at checking in regularly and always returned calls and emails promptly. When I needed extra medication Monica was there to send me samples to get me through treatment. And for extra peace of mind she gave me her personal phone number for after hour contact. Unfortunately she no longer works there. Her successor, Flor is also fantastic and I believe will live up to the standard Monica held as Dr. Kolb's assistant.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb is a phenomenal doctor. From our first visit up to our last discharge visit he always greeted us with a smile and a handshake. He is professional with a great bedside manner. He is constantly keeping up to date with medical studies and conferences. At such a large clinic I was afraid I would be just another number, I was wrong. Every staff member I came into contact with was pleasant and seemed to genuinely care about me and the treatment I was receiving.
Don't wait, go see him now!
Dr. Kolb started off treatment with multiple diagnostic tests. Labs, ultrasound and a hysteroscopy. Medication was started low and Dr. Kolb followed my results very closely. If adjustments needed to be made it was under his direction.
Dr. Kolb advised us of our option to transfer multiples. At my age the maximum amount that he would transfer was 2. He did warn us of the possibility of having twins.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Regarding the clinic [HRC- Fullerton], there seems to be people switching into new roles often within the office. When it seems as if you are going to do a procedure right away, they are very responsive to emails and other forms of communication. Yet, it seems as though if your procedure is not happening for a few months, they take longer to respond to emails (if at all).... The cost of treatment is clearly delineated in their forms, so you are not going in blind. They have one of the best labs in the nation.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Weaknesses: They seem more responsive at the start of your process (consultation/diagnostic workup/treatment planning); yet if you wait a few months for the actual procedure, they seem less responsive to questions you might have. You can be on hold for a long time early in the morning. Financial people seem to change often. I would have preferred more direct contact with the RE to ask questions when they came to mind. Strengths include having a very well trained doctor (Dr. Ghazal) with great rates of success. The cost of treatment is clearly delineated in their forms, so you are not going in blind. They have one of the best labs in the nation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
Dr. Ghazal answered every single one of my questions each time I spoke with her. She has a great bedside manner and she makes it a point to answer your questions in a very detailed manner, so that there is no confusion. She listened to my struggle, and responded in a compassionate manner. I did not feel as though she was trying to rush me out of her office.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalijia)
Regarding the clinic, there seems to be people switching into new roles often within the office. When it seems as if you are going to do a procedure right away, they are very responsive to emails and other forms of communication. Yet, it seems as though if your procedure is not happening for a few months, they take longer to respond to emails (if at all).
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
Strengths: Dr. Ghazal is highly trained and has a lot of great experience in the field and she has the highest fertility rates in the clinic. When you ask her a question, she is straightforward, authentic, and detailed. When she shared information that I considered bad news for me, she was compassionate and did it in such a way that made me feel that there was hope for my situation. The only downside is that I did not get much contact with her and everything is communicated through her nurses and coordinators. Yet, when she did meet with you over the phone or in-person, she made you feel as though she was present with you and not trying to rush off to the next patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
If you want a doctor who will be available by phone or text or more available, Dr. Ghazal is not the one.
Describe the protocols Sanaz Ghazal used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Because I am an older person, with great eggs but with numerous complications with my uterus, the goal was to try to go slightly more aggressive with my medications, so that I can produce a lot more eggs for my egg retrieval, in the hopes that when the eggs are fertilized, I can get the most genetically normal embryos possible. Then I would freeze these embryos, fix the problems with my uterus, and then do a frozen embryo transfer. The goal is to be successful in maintaining a pregnancy and reducing the chances of miscarriage. I believe the drug protocol is similar for most IVF cycles, just the dosage may be different. The overall goal is to have one successful IVF cycle with great outcomes in regard to have a number of genetically normal embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sanaz Ghazal at HRC.
For one cycle of IVF, including genetic screening of any embryos, and freezing embryos, I was looking at a bill around $21,000 out of pocket. This estimate also includes the price of fertility medications for the one cycle. You can also tack on an additional $2000 to 3000 for diagnostic procedures conducted prior to treatment planning. These are all out of pocket costs.
Describe Sanaz Ghazal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
My doctor had a strong preference for single embryo transfer, primarily because there is a higher success rate for a single embryo transfer. Also, she explained that if you place more than one embryo into the uterus, you never know whether one of those embryos will split and produce twins and triplets. So she wants to reduce the chance of multiple unexpected growing babies.
Sanaz Ghazal
Fullerton
Aesthetically, the clinic [HRC - Pasadena] has warm and calming appearance. It looks a little like you’re in a sophisticated hotel lobby. The front desk staff and the flebotomíst are cordial. There are a ton of patients who come to this clinic so it get crowded quickly.... Connie [nurse] is warm and caring. She responds so quickly to emails and correspondences that when emails are responded to a couple days late, you begin to panic a little. I would have liked that she kept track of all of the information better and provided more follow up.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Aesthetically, the clinic has warm and calming appearance. It looks a little like you’re in a sophisticated hotel lobby. The front desk staff and the flebotomíst are cordial. There are a ton of patients who come to this clinic so it get crowded quickly.
Dr Nelson thouroughly reviewed the mounds of medical records I had provided from my primary care provider. His approach is truly holistic, which I appreciate. He has a warm bedside manner
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Connie Hernandez)
Connie is warm and caring. She responds so quickly to emails and correspondences that when emails are responded to a couple days late, you begin to panic a little. I would have liked that she kept track of all of the information better and provided more follow up.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
He was well informed about my history and treaded gently, but directly about the sensitive nature of infertility. I liked his individualistic and holistic approach. He explained things thoroughly. I think the o lu weakness was punctuality in making the appointments. My husband and I chalked that up to him trying to be as thorough and present with each patient. He always asked us if we had more questions and was very patient with us. We never felt rushed. I’m assuming he provides the same level of care to all of his patients.
Be flexible with your schedule. He might not always meet you at your appointment time.
I believe he used the agonist protocol. Higher dosage than typical. 150 Menopur, 375 Gonal F and Cetrotide. Higher dosage because of my age, I believe. I produced 10 eggs among the which 4 matured. Three were fertilized. But none made it past day 7.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
About 9000 retrieval and fresh transfer, 550 for analgesia, 1500 for ICSI About 6000 for medication
Pasadena
HRC has an excellent reputation in southern California, and their popularity is evident. Despite a sometimes busy waiting room, appointments typically run on time or close to the scheduled time. Appointments are quick but comprehensive. I have seen the doctor at every visit. My only constructive comment is that the financial/insurance department can be somewhat confusing at times. There were occasional unexpected add-on charges and it was difficult to understand clearance with my insurance and the clinic.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Dr. Boostanfar has excellent bedside manner. He immediately understood that this was not my "first rodeo" and did not waste my time with basic information that I already knew. He listened and understood my concerns and provided options and knowledgeable feedback.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC.
My nurse/care coordinator is excellent. As with any professional medical office, you will mostly communicate with the nursing staff regarding scheduling, information, small concerns, etc. and this clinic clearly has armed itself with a competent and effective staff. Do no overlook the importance of a knowledgable and communicative nurse, because it can make all the difference in your experience.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Boostanfar is knowledgeable in his field and direct/to the point, which I appreciate. He runs a busy practice, and although at times it may seem like he is in a hurry, he takes the time to answer all of my questions. His nurse is extremely competent and effective as well.
Express your goals and concerns with him. He is open to exploring options and making a decision with you as a doctor/patient team.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
For one fresh cycle, including transfer and medications, the total is roughly $15,000.
Encino
The entire staff at HRC is incredible. Where Dr. Frederick is very smart, educated and good at her job, she isn’t always compassionate. But the staff at HRC makes up for that a thousand times over. They are the sweetest, most accommodating and helpful people I have ever met. They genuinely care about what they do and it translates into every aspect of their job. HRC (Liz and Michelle specifically) are incredible human beings and I am so lucky to be in their care.
Describe your experience with HRC.
It can be a bit of a long wait to 1. Get an appointment and 2. See the doctor once you are there. But waiting is inevitable at any doctors office. I think we waited 20 minutes past our appointment time the first time and then 10 minutes past the second. But after that, they are great with coordinating with your calendar. The facility is clean, warm and organized. The office we went to is out of Hoag so it is very nice.
Dr. Frederick can be very direct, to the point and almost cold in how she explains things. But she’s correct and she is good at her job, and the point is to get you successfully pregnant and carry that baby to term. That being said, the nurses and coordinators on her team are the most wonderful, kind, warm and genuine human beings I have ever met. The two sides make it a perfect pair. I know without a doubt that Dr. Frederick knows what she is doing and that my body is in good hands, while I know I can always call my coordinator and she will listen to me and give me the emotional support I need.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Dr. Jane Frederick is a specific kind of doctor and not for the faint of heart. She is direct, clear, gets to the point and knows exactly what she is talking about (meaning she has logical evidence to support her opinions and treatment plans). She is not the most empathetic person in the world. She isn’t necessarily cold, I feel that is too harsh, but she isn’t warm either. So somewhere in the middle I guess. She is not the shoulder to cry on if you’re feeling overwhelmed with your fertility process. But she is the hands that will get you pregnant and will be up front and honest with what to expect / how to do it. If you do what Dr. Frederick asks of you, you will have a healthy pregnancy and bring a healthy baby into the world.
Don’t let what she says hurt your feelings. She’s very honest and blunt. Be open to what she is saying and really hear her responses to your questions. If you want someone to unapologetically tell you how it is and what you need to do to conceive, Jane Frederick will do exactly that for you.
Each person is very different and I’m sure no two patients are alike. I’m young but I have a low AMH level, so Dr. Frederick advised us to skip IUI altogether - her exact words were not to waste my time or my money because it would take a very long time - and to do IVF for conception. That would save me money in the long run. She said statistically I have an 85% chance of getting pregnant on my first try if I do what she asks. Secondly, she said my wife needed to be tested as well and she wanted to make sure that everyone involved in this process is healthy and ready for a child (whether you’re the one pregnant or not). At first I thought that was strange, but thinking about it now, it makes so much sense and I really appreciate how thorough she is in everything she does. I also appreciate how quick and to the point she is about how we can cross all of our t’s and dot all of our i’s. In less than 24 hours I had a full treatment plan and a full cost breakdown. I made sure to ask who would be doing these medical procedures. Other than the sonohystogram and blood work, Dr. Frederick will be doing all other procedures herself (egg retrieval, embryo PGS, FET, ultrasound, etc.). I will be starting on BC and then injections next month after my menstrual cycle has started.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
The cost for IVF was much more expensive than an FET, but the total cost was still far more affordable than anywhere else we looked. An FET at HRC is $3,600 (pre-medication). I am not sure of the total cost of IVF, but for me (I’m young and low AMH is the only issue) it was around $20k
She was VERY specific: NO TWINS. We will transfer one healthy embryo and produce one very healthy baby.
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
When we decided to do IVF, dr boostanfar [at HRC-Encino] made specific plans for my case and adjusted the medication throughout the entire IVF process. After every ultrasound he made adjustments accordingly and we got 32 eggs out of it! 22 fertilized and 16 were sent off for biopsies...Brandy [nurse] is awesome! She is extremely organized, responds to emails and phone calls so quickly, and she’s so compassionate as well.
European, Latino
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
This clinic is amazing. You never have to wait for too long to get in and see a doctor. I’ve never waited more than 20 minutes in the waiting room and they have so much staff (that are friendly of course) that it makes it easy every time I go in and get blood work or an ultrasound done.
Dr.B is extremely confident and great at what he does. He has taken my negative thoughts about infertility and given me some hope. My husband and I are still under his care and we will only be seeing him for future children because he makes us feel so special and takes care of us like he would his own family members.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Brandy Platt )
Brandy is awesome! She is extremely organized, responds to emails and phone calls so quickly, and she’s so compassionate as well. I’d highly recommend her if you have the choice!
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
When we first met Dr. boostanfar we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into when it came to the infertility world. He thoroughly explained everything, went over tests that needed to be done, and after these tests we all sat down and went over options. My results were given to me right away with every test. Dr.Boostanfar let me decide what I wanted to do, even though I trusted his judgment and allowed him to help me make decisions. He also saw me for every appointment, which I thought was amazing.
Dr. B is so thoughtful and considerate of what we’re going through. I’d talk to him about what your feeling as much as possible and be open with him about everything, he does the best he can to help you feel at ease.
Both of my IUIs has different treatments. The first IUI I was on femara and the second I was on femara and injections. Both had negative outcomes, but I only have one tube working (the other was taken out due to blockage). When we decided to do IVF, dr boostanfar made specific plans for my case and adjusted the medication throughout the entire IVF process. After every ultrasound he made adjustments accordingly and we got 32 eggs out of it! 22 fertilized and 16 were sent off for biopsies.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
The appointments I made have always been on time regardless of the time of day. I never had to wait too long to see the doctor or nurse.
Not sure
We are going through this process right now but I believe he likes single embryo transfers due to the risk of the embryo splitting, which apparently happens frequently.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
The clinic [HRC-Fullerton] is very clean and in a good location. Overall, everyone is very friendly and the nurses were great with the u/s and drawing blood. The one weakness is the accounting department could be improved. There were a few misunderstandings about the fees and that was Frustrating.... Allyn Ann, our nurse practitioner, was beyond helpful. She was there for my wife when she had any questions and would take the time to explain the procedure and the results. She was extremely responsive. Natalija, our coordinator, is also very good. She is very responsive and explains the steps very well.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is very clean and in a good location. Overall, everyone is very friendly and the nurses were great with the u/s and drawing blood. The one weakness is the accounting department could be improved. There were a few misunderstandings about the fees and that was Frustrating.
Dr. Potter took the time to see what issues my wife and I may have. He ultimately found out that my wife insulin resistant and that could have contributed to poor egg quality and our miscarriage. He is very straightforward and lacks a long of emotion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann)
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Dr. Potter seems to be very inquisitive and likes to exhaust all avenues to see what could be causing infertility. Before we met him, he has my wife run some tests and that’s how he found out she’s insulin resistant, which could be a contributing factor to our infertility issues. He is running more tests before we do the retrieval and transfer to make sure we are able to have the best embryos possible and the best envinroment when we do the transfer. He definitely does not have a lot of emotions, however, that does not bother me or my wife. One frustrating issue is that he is late. He was an hour late for our first meeting.
Don’t have the expectation to have your hand held through this process. However, he is very intelligent and the me that is more important.
We haven’t started the procedures yet. We are waiting until I do the final testing.
I believe about $23,000.
We have not gotten to that point yet with Dr. Potter.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Clinic [HRC] is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster....Dr. Frederick has many patients so the care coordinator is also very busy. I could not understand why it took her 7 days to notify me my day 3 blood test results after I had started my ivf cycle with my injectables. It is totally not acceptable....
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with HRC.
Clinic is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster.
Dr. Frederick has a set protocol for all her patients. The treatment plan was not customized. In spite of my diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality, she put me on birth control pill for 31 days before the injectables in order to accommodate her busy schedule with all her patients. My eggs were retrieved before they were matured and they all could not survive 3 days after retrieval. After the treatment, Dr. Frederick told me to consider donor eggs because she " could not make miracle happen."
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Priscilla Davalos)
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
A few hours after the very first consultation with Dr. Frederick, we were given the calendar of dates for the injectable, the dosage and also the egg retrieval date without her doing any physical exam or ultrasound on me. Because of her reported high success rate, I chose to trust her even though I felt I was being treated like a number.
Try harder.
Antagonist protocol with Gonal F 450 unit and Menopur 75 unit together from the beginning till the end. No dosage adjustment at all throughout the treatment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
I lived 1.5 hours away from HRC orange county, so I did my monitoring ultrasounds at HRC oceanside branch. What bothered me was that, the ultrasound technician refused to told me what she saw in the ultrasound. She said the doctor would explain to me, but the doctor never did. I went in for couple of ultrasounds for my ivf cycle and I had no clue of how my body responded to the injectables. I was kept away from the information of how the cycle went.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
I signed up for 2 cycle banking of embryos, which is $23K. After 1st cycle failed, we decided to find another doctor and we got the refund from HRC for $11K. So this failed cycle cost us $12K with only egg retrieval, no PGS done, no transfer, and injectables not included.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
The entire nursing staff at HRC] has been patient, empathetic and informative. They are always happy to answer all of my questions and make sure this process goes as smoothly as possible. I’ve been offered tissues, hugs and heating pads when it was a rough visit. Even the ladies who took my blood every visit remember my name and offer encouragement...My IUI’s were approx. $2500 each, plus medication costs. My IVF was approx. $10,500 plus an additional approx. $6000 for medications.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC Pasadena is overall an amazing community of people. They truly go out of their way to make sure that you, as the patient, are taken care of and supported. The fact that everything is done at one location makes the process a lot easier. Rarely have I had to wait long for an appt. On the occasion that they are very busy, they are apologetic and quick to get you in a room. The level of privacy and discretion is reassuring, and I’ve never felt like just another patient. My husband loves the coffee bar in the waiting room!
Each visit felt very personal, and I never felt like I was rushed through. All of my concerns were acknowledged and my questions answered.
The entire nursing staff has been patient, empathetic and informative. They are always happy to answer all of my questions and make sure this process goes as smoothly as possible. I’ve been offered tissues, hugs and heating pads when it was a rough visit. Even the ladies who took my blood every visit remember my name and offer encouragement.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
From the moment my husband and I met Dr. Nelson at the clinic’s open house, we knew that we wanted him to be our Dr. He has been completely honest and forthcoming in all matters, yet is always kind and empathetic. I have never felt that any of my questions or concerns were dismissed. He is very personable and easy-going and during every appt. and procedure I never doubted that I was in good hands. Despite all of our setbacks he always tells us not to give up hope! Even when I’ve been frustrated and felt like I was ready to give up, he remained positive and encouraged me, and my husband, to keep trying.
Remain positive and trust the process. Dr. Nelson will explore all avenues and help you and your partner find the path that is right for you.
For my IUI’s I took Clomid and then the HCG trigger shot. The Clomid made me very emotional. I cried constantly and at the smallest thing. For my IVF I took Ganirelix, Endometrin, Menopur, Progesterone, Methylprednisolone, Estradiol, Pregnyl HCG and Follistim. I was able to produce a significant number of viable eggs using this protocol. The side effects included severe bloating, pain at injection site, cramping, backache, full and sore breasts, headaches, fatigue, nausea and an uncontrollable roller coaster of emotions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
Given my age and our previous failed IUI cycles, my Dr. was willing to transfer 2 embryos. We talked extensively about the risks of multiples, for both mother and babies. He was very upfront and honest with us regarding our concerns. We all (Dr. Nelson, myself and my husband) agreed that our best chance in conceiving would be to take a more aggressive approach and transfer 2 embryos.
Pasadena
HRC has great facilities that are easily accessible. The facilities are very clean. The support staff and nurses were all very welcoming and make me feel comfortable, especially when I first went and was in uncomfortable positions 😬 One weakness is that the Newport Beach Office is more often than not running late.... Allyn Ann was absolutely amazing! I wish she were a fertility doctor so she could help us have a baby. She went above and beyond what an average nurse would do. Natalie was so great too. She was very responsive and compassionate. Highly recommend both.
Describe your experience with HRC.
I felt like Dr. Frederick didn’t take the time to see what the best protocol would be for me. I felt like she had 2 protocols and she didn’t tailor the protocols to me. It felt like she didn’t take the time to do simple tests to see if there were any other issues that could be contributing to our infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann and Natalie)
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was. She doesn’t have any bedside manners either, which is fine because my husband and I didn’t need the extra handholding. That being said, it would have been nice to have some compassion when none of our embryos passed genetic testing our first cycle or when we only had one healthy embryo the second cycle and then miscarried.
Don’t expect to have your protocol tailored to you and don’t expect her to have good bedside manners.
Honestly, I don’t remember because it was all a blur. However, it’s my understanding that she uses two protocols and she tried both on me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
The costs for Dr. Frederick were about $20,000 and the medications were about $5,000
We only had one healthy embryo so we didn’t have a choice.
IVF, Donor Eggs
We only talked to our patient coordinator [at HRC] (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt...Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times....The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room. The surgical center where they do the transfer never had enough seating and for some reason there were a lot of children (not babies but children). The only time we had to wait longer than 10 minutes was the day of our transfer.
We only talked to the doctor twice in a 13 month period. We only talked to our patient coordinator (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Castillo Rubio)
Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times. I wish she was contracted so she could work with other doctors!
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC?
Since we only saw her twice in over a year I can't speak to her strengths. Maybe except she always got back to the nurse fairly quickly. After her giving the go ahead to use frozen donor eggs she only communicatedthat they had a lower success rate but proceeded since we were doing PGS testing. The day of our transfer she walked in and said "well frozen wasn't the way to go, the red flag was that we had to thaw 14 to get 5." That was the first thing she said to us! Then proceeded to say our embryo was a B/C grade and that she would go ahead and transfer it but the odds weren't good. Honestly how was I supposed to be hopeful when the doctor was so negative. After she transferred our 1 embroyo that made it after 5 days, and PGS testing she said "well if this doesn't work let's re-group and do a fresh transfer". I started crying uncontrollable how could she think we just had another $30,000 laying around! No compassion at all. Financially we opted for frozen eggs vs fresh because that's what we had to start a family. Dr. Frederick was well aware of our finances and showed complete lack of compassion to us.
Make sure you're okay with only communicating to a nurse coordinator.
I was put on birth control pills, progesterone in oil, estrace, and one more injection that I can't recall the name. My protocol made sense and everything went smoothly. My uterine lining was thick enough to move forward with a transfer. She did try and put me on a ton of supplements that I purchased once. When I was finished I went to Whole Foods and purchased my own.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC.
All of our fees were paid to the egg donor agency except the PGS testing fee which was $5,050
We only had 1embryo to transfer.
Newport Beach
It does SEEM like the clinic [HRC - Pasadena] is all about the numbers since the waiting room is usually packed (and packed with overseas patients). But, the level of care is better than what I experienced at another practice in Beverly Hills. I love not having to call and prod the nurses for information. They respond to emails fairly quickly and they're very patient. Free parking is really great too...They're all very responsive and easy to talk to. They call when they say they will.
Describe your experience with HRC.
It does SEEM like the clinic is all about the numbers since the waiting room is usually packed (and packed with overseas patients). But, the level of care is better than what I experienced at another practice in Beverly Hills. I love not having to call and prod the nurses for information. They respond to emails fairly quickly and they're very patient. Free parking is really great too (I had to pay $28 each time at the other practice).
He never seemed like he was in a rush to move onto the next patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nanette Villajoaquin)
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr Wilcox seems really good at what he does. We are MFI with seemingly no issues on my end so our treatment was pretty straightforward. A coworker also goes to the same practice but saw a different doctor and her protocol didn't produce quality eggs (I recognize there are many factors that contribute to this). The difference I noticed in our treatment was that Wilcox had me on ubiquinol whereas her doctor didn't even mention it. What concerned me a little with Dr Wilcox is his willingness to put in two embryos. We are non-PGS tested and only want to transfer one. I thought standard of care is to transfer one embryo and most people have to make a good case to their doctor to transfer two.
Don't be shy and ask questions. Doctors won't offer up information without being prompted.
300 iu of Follistim (all 9 days) 75 iu of Menopur (first 4 days) 150 iu of Menopur (last 5 days) Ganirelix (last 5 days) Lupron + HCG trigger 36 hours before retrieval (due to OHSS risk) Lupron 24 hours before retrieval (due to OHSS risk)
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC.
We are insurance patients so our insurance covers 50%. IVF fresh transfer cycle with ICSI, assisted hatching, embryo freezing, & surgery center fees was $7,080. FET is $2,100.
For non-PGS tested embryos, Wilcox prefers to transfer two.
Pasadena
It's a large clinic [HRC] and so it's to be expected that one is more like a number than a person... It's still expensive and the add-ons really add extra costs but I don't think it was very different than other clinics in the area...I loved my nurse and she was a strong factor for me considering staying with HRC/Dr. Boostanfar. I am ambivalent with the doctor but loved my nurse. She is very organized, knowledgeable, made sure to help me keep my medicine cost low, fast to respond and really tried to manage my nerves. When she was out I did deal with other staff members but my nurse was the best that I had to work with.
Other, Prefer not to answer
Describe your experience with HRC.
The facilities are very nice though parking can sometimes be hard to find. There was no / minimal wait times which I really appreciate. The surgery center is attached to the office so that is very convenient.
It's a large clinic and so it's to be expected that one is more like a number than a person.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
He does a lot of IVF cycles. Appointments were always very quick - he would answer questions if I asked but I always got the feeling I was bothering him with my questions since he was very busy and ready to go to his next patient. I don't feel that the treatment was explained to me very well and I had to spend a lot of time on forums/google to better understand what was going on.
Be your own advocate or be okay to just go along with the standard program and not question it (I know some people don't want to know).
Overstimmed resulting in poor quality embryos (Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) but were lucky enough to have a few that were PGS normal. Negative frozen elective single transfer a few months after my retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
It's standard for what I've seen. It's still expensive and the add-ons really add extra costs but I don't think it was very different than other clinics in the area.
It was suggested to transfer two PGS normals and the mention of risks was very brief and lasted perhaps 5 seconds of are you okay with twins even though I've read a lot that two PGS normals for someone less than 35 but brief explanations were par on course for everything else so this was not surprising.
Encino
The office [HRC - Pasadena] was very busy so at times I did have to wait a long time in the doctors office...Very expensive. They charged 500 per sonogram and do a sonogram at the start of each cycle. There are lots of "extras" at hrc so so far 1 egg retrieval and 2 frozen transfers were around 20000...We had three embryos on day 5 and 6. The lab froze one by itself and 2 together in one vial. We were really disappointed in this because it meant we had to refreeeze one of the embryos since it had to be thawed with its partner.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is clean and well appointed. There are magazines and a coffee machine in the lobby. The front desk people are nice but don't always have a smile on their faces. The phlebotomist are good at their jobs. For men, delivering sperm samples is a little weird because they have to walk by people in the lobby once they've produced a sample
He was kind and compassionate and spoke to me in a reasonable way. The office was very busy so at times I did have to wait a long time in the doctors office
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Justina wang )
Initially I was assigned a different nurse but immediately before retrieval she let me know she was transferring jobs to the neighboring surgical center. Justina is a fine nurse but has some communication issues. I'm not sure if it's a problem due to English not being her first language or simply a communication style but I find some of her email communications vague when I've asked for a very specific response.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Dr Nelson is a kind man, very positive and warm In his interactions. He decided to go with the same protocol as my previous doctor since that had worked for us. I don't know that he's fully up on what all the newest evidence is but I felt that he was doing everything he could for me.
Be aware you may have to wait for a long time for your appointments.
Same protocol as my previous doctor. Bcps, gonal-f, menopur, cetrotide. I had a poorer response this time wth not as many eggs and so he upped the dosage a ton, which helped somewhat.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
We wanted eSet. He seemed more inclined to push multiples, even asking one more time immediately before transfer.
Pasadena
Dr. Coffler’s office staff [HRC Oceanside] is amzing. My nurse angel really was an angel! She was compassionate and silly. Always kept the mood light. And was very good at making me feel like I was the only person she was working with....Weaknessss, their billing people at the main office are frustrating. Keep records of everything you pay. And make sure you ask 2 people for pricing. And then confirm it with your insurance if applicable.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Strengths, amazing staff at the clinic offices. Weaknessss, their billing people at the main office are frustrating. Keep records of everything you pay. And make sure you ask 2 people for pricing. And then confirm it with your insurance if applicable.
Dr. Coffler gave us hope when we didn’t have any left. He was to the point, but in a warm manner. He was a cheerleader on our team. He made us feel like he wanted us pregnant more than anyone else.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
Dr. Coffler’s office staff is amzing. My nurse angel really was an angel! She was compassionate and silly. Always kept the mood light. And was very good at making me feel like I was the only person she was working with.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
We met with and interviewed 4 different doctors before starting the IVF process. Dr. Coffler clearly laid out a plan, gave us realistic hope and never gave up on us. He was compassionate and warm. And always had a smile when it was appropriate and a game face when it was appropriate.
He knows what he’s doing. Do your research and come educated, so you know what he’s talking about.
After our first round and fresh cycle failed, I made sure the next time I was put on progesterone the next time. And after that one I miscarried, the 3rd one I told them I wanted to be watched and monitored closer. They had no problem working with me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
First round - I think was around $15k for retrieval and transfer. 2nd & 3rd round FET - $2500 (we are a veteran family so we got the discount) Ultrasounds - $110 every time. Cyst aspiration - $800 That’s all I can remember.
We elected to transfer 2 our 2nd round. But the 3rd round, he would only transfer 1. And now, the clinic will only transfer 1.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Strengths - The clinic [HRC - Pasadena] is beautiful. The wait room is nice and welcoming. Love the free specialty coffee. Weaknesses - Do not allow non-patients in the Lab. The blood drawing area is very small and it is too crowded for husbands to wait and just watch their wives getting their blood drawn.... The only area of improvement would be to go a little bit slower when explaining the injections for IVF. For my first cycle I left there a bit overwhelmed.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
Strengths - The clinic is beautiful. The wait room is nice and welcoming. Love the free specialty coffee. Weaknesses - Do not allow non-patients in the Lab. The blood drawing area is very small and it is too crowded for husbands to wait and just watch their wives getting their blood drawn.
I was always called by my name. The staff took the time to get to know me. His head nurse, Teresa is absolutely amazing!! Honestly she is a major reason I returned to the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Teresa)
Nurse coordinator was awesome! Teresa is absolutely amazing! Her staff Nanette and Stephanie were also very helpful. The only area of improvement would be to go a little bit slower when explaining the injections for IVF. For my first cycle I left there a bit overwhelmed.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Strengths - He has a lot of experience. He will adjust your treatment plan if something is not working. He is not afraid to be aggressive with the treatment plan. Weaknesses - He sometimes rushes through the appointment. He will use vague terms like “your ovaries are responding to the medication” instead of explaining exactly how many follicles I had. I really wanted to know details.
Ask questions. He will not volunteer information, so you will need to ask plenty of questions.
For both IVF cycles I took Ganilrex, Cetrotide and Omnitrope. The human growth hormone was because of my age (36-38). I produced anywhere from 20-35 eggs. About 15-25 fertilized. The first cycle of the 15 fertilized embryos only two were normal. The second cycle of the 22 fertilized eggs 7 were normal. The first cycle was not successful. Dr. Wilcox decided to do the second cycle transfer and put me under with general anesthesia. I have a unicornuate uterus and he thought my uterus might have contracted during the first transfer that did not result in a pregnancy. My second cycle was successful. I got pregnant with my daughter and she was full term, despite my unicornuate uterus.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
Monitoring appointments were Monday -Sunday based on your progress.
IVF #1 about $9k IVF# 2 about $11k
My doctor would only transfer one embryo because of my unicornuate uterus. He was actually really pushing for a gestational carrier because of my uterus.
Pasadena
$17,000 for the IVF cycle including PGS testing, ICSI, the retrieval and freezing of embryos...Saba [nurse at HRC] has been incredible during our journey. She is extremely dependable and compassionate...I found the communication to be prompt. I also feel strongly that everyone is extremely friendly and comforting. I felt that they truly cared and we weren't just a number or a payment...I feel like Dr.Norian and his staff are genuinely invested in you. They are concerned and do everything they can to help you through the journey. Although we have had a difficult journey we have never doubted the care or knowledge of Dr.Norian and his staff.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Saba Herrera)
Saba has been incredible during our journey. She is extremely dependable and compassionate.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr.Norian is very direct while still being compassionate. He reviews everything you would need to know while not overwhelming you with information that could only cause worry and stress. He has always been available in times of need and has never made us feel like we were a number. We truly feel that he cares about us starting a family. During times of loss he prioritized my mental health, which I am extremely appreciative of.
Our first egg retrieval was an antagonist protocol- I stimmed for about 10 days. We used ICSI and PGS which resulted in 5 embryos. We transferred one embryo, but it was not successful. Our FET was 4 months later and I was on estrogen and progesterone. We transferred two embryos and we became pregnant with a singleton. We unfortunately lost our baby in the second trimester. Our second FET was 5 months after delivery and we transferred one embryo and were unsuccessful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
Dr.Norian educated us on one embryo versus two. He gave a recommendation of one embryo for our first transfer and two for our second. He was open to our decision for transferring two embryos and made sure we had discussed the options.
2006 - 2017
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Natalie [HRC nurse] is wonderful. She is kind, compassionate and understanding. She always responds to me as soon as possible when needed and answers (or finds the answers) I need in a timely manner...We are completely out of pocket so we have spent about $50,000 (IVFs in past and present). IVF cycles are about $10000 each, although they do have packages. FETs cost $3500. Drugs are separate and are charged through the pharmacy. They are several thousand each cycle. Surgery (hysteroscopy) was covered by my insurance. Pregnancy monitoring was not covered so I had to pay out of pocket for all of those.
2006 - 2017
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is clean, beautiful and organized. The surgery center is on location so everything is done at one place (hsg, hysteroscopy, retrieval, transfer, etc). Waits can vary. Sometimes I'm seen right away, sometimes I have to wait, but I understand surgeries can take longer than expected.
Dr Kolb is a compassionate physician. He has great bed side manner and takes the time after failed cycles to follow up and go through what we could change. Sometimes I do feel as if he forgets pieces of my history, but I guess that's understandable with having several patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Pena)
Natalie is wonderful. She is kind, compassionate and understanding. She always responds to me as soon as possible when needed and answers (or finds the answers) I need in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
The first time I became a patient of Dr. Kolb was over 10 years ago. After years of infertility and multiple failed IUIs at another clinic, we decided to do IVF with Dr. Kolb. Our first IVF failed and Dr. Kolb changed our protocol. Second cycle failed as well. Dr. Kolb was great about getting us back in for a follow up appointment after each failed attempt and also giving us options going forward (i.e. We could change our approach and do GIFT or ZIFT). While on a treatment break, we miraculously conceived on our own. While we weren't technically under his treatment plan at the time, Dr. Kolb monitored us throughout the first trimester. Over 7 years later we returned for more treatments to try for another child after not being able to conceive on our own for all those years, again. Dr. Kolb seems to stay up to date on current treatments, testing, and research. He was very thorough, performing a hysteroscopy and running new blood tests, all of which came back great. I mentioned having a high ANA level at one time, as I was concerned it could effect cycle outcome, but he felt it didn't matter. I don't necessarily agree with this, but not all doctors believe that treating a high ANA makes a difference. I'm still not convinced of that, so I'd say that's one negative I personally feel about his treatment plans. He does prescribe Medrol, but I don't feel it's enough if there are immune issues going on with me. We then we started a new cycle with injections. It failed. Again. Dr. Kolb, was caring, as always, and re-evaluated our plan right away and added some meds (i.e. Lovenox). Our next cycle was an FET which was successful, but ended in a second trimester miscarriage (genetically normal baby). When I returned to his care again following the miscarriage, he immediately ordered a loss panel. This was helpful and thoughtful for me as you always want answers no matter what. Some doctors make you wait for a loss panel until several losses. The only negative with the follow-ups is that I feel like I am constantly re-living the past cycles and reminding him of what worked/didn't work, what he said about treatment changes, etc. We are currently undergoing (so far failed) IVF treatments with Dr. Kolb. He has been encouraging and hopeful the entire time we have been cycling with him. He has a calming and supportive bedside manner and I would recommend him to friends/family. Unfortunately all of treatment costs are out of pocket. It's devastating and heartbreaking each time it fails. I'm not sure if the doctors truly understand how difficult it is to just hand over, in our case tens of thousands of dollars, for something that has no guarantee of success at the end. As compassionate at Dr. Kolb is, I'm not sure he understands this aspect of treatments and how it influences the decisions we've had to make along the way.
Research treatments, possible problems that might impede success, and pay attention as you're cycling so that you are knowledgeable about choices and can ask for changes in protocol. I wish I would have adovocated more for myself when it comes to possible immune/high ANA issues.
First cycle was injections with Lupron, delestrogen, progesterone injects, metformin and prednisone. Second, Centrotide was used instead of Lupron and heparin was added. Both produced highly fragmented day 3 embryos which resulted in a negative beta. When I returned this time around he has been having me use low-stim (hopes for better quality eggs), centrotide for a couple days before retrieval, then retrace progesterone, medrol and lovenox after retrieval or transfer (depending on the med). These past three cycle have been negative as well, although I do make it to blasts now (vs the cycles 10 years ago). Frozen transfer resulted in a pregnancy and I was on progesterone suppositories, estrace, medrol, lovenox, and delestrogen. Medrol is prescribed to try to prevent embryo rejection at transfer, lovenox to try to prevent blood clots and hopefully help with implantation.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
Monitoring appointments are available for several hours in the morning. You simply make an appt (usually at your previous appt). You sign in when you arrive and your name is called for you to go back into an exam room. Exam room are very nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
Dr. Kolb always lets me decide (1 or 2), but recommends 2 embryos for each transfer because of my history. I agree with this approach in my case.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
This office [HRC pasadena] is extremely busy. In the waiting room, there are about 20-25 people waiting to see their doctor. We have always had to wait at least 30 minutes after our actual appointment to see our doctor.... Dr. Kolbs nursing staff is awesome. They are very responsive and knowledable. With all the expenses we made for this treatment, it was defjnitely worth it. We are cery happy with out coordinator, Flor Perada.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with HRC.
This office is extremely busy. In the waiting room, there are about 20-25 people waiting to see their doctor. We have always had to wait at least 30 minutes after our actual appointment to see our doctor.
My husband and I were happy with Dr. Kolb from our original consultation. He was very direct with us which was want we wanted to hear given my situation. He was realistic and offered good advice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Care coordinator)
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr Kolb is the kind of Doctor that is realistic as well as comassionate towards women with fertility issues. He takes his time to analyze your situation in order to give his expert advise. Even though it may be diffucult to absorb the information based on your situation, he is gentle and sensitive. We trust him as our RE.
Dr Kolb prescribed Cetrotide and Gonal injection stimulation medication for me as well as the triger shot. The Gonal injection was fine except the Cetrotide and triger shot gave me a little welt in the injection site and felt a bit of an itch. Originally, Dr Kolb thought, based on my situation, that we would only be able to retrieve 1-3 eggs after my cycle. Surprisingly, after my 1st cycle and egg retrieval, Dr Kolb retrieved 9 eggs!! I guess the stimulation meds really helped in my situation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
Single cycle $8900 Anesthesia $550 PGS $4950 ICSI $1500 AHA $550 Embryo freezing $700 Meds $3500
Pasadena
Dr Norian's staff is wonderful! Saba is my primary nurse and she is responsive and to the point. She is a great liaison between myself and Dr Norian. She is thorough and organized. Always delivers when she says she will for example when communicating calendars if she says it will be to you in 24 hours it will be. Amanda in billing is an angel- answers all questions and will look through all areas to help you understand your bills. When I had my miscarriage she cried with me and made sure my husband and I were ok. Irene who draws the labs is amazing! I'm a hard stick and she never had an issue. Cynthia and Ashleigh are fantastic too!
European, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
Overall super buttoned up and professional. I trust my care to HRC.
Dr Norian is extremely kind and knowledgeable. At every appointment he made sure to take the time with me talking about my treatment as well as me as an individual. His kind manner has helped me through this process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Saba)
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr Norian has been a wonderful doctor. I see him every visit and he does every procedure himself. His dedication to his job and helping others is evident. Every morning he arrives at the Pasadena location to do surgery, egg retrieval's, and transfers. Directly after he leaves and makes it to the office by 8 AM in the morning. He works long hours and I have even had him call me after 6 PM. When I had many questions he either scheduled me for an appointment or spoke with me over the phone to answer all my questions. Unfortunately when I had a miscarriage, I was glad to have Dr Norian in my corner. He and his staff scheduled me for a D&C the next morning so I wouldn't have to wait the weekend. Dr Norian is my second RE I have seen for IVF and I wish he was the first stop I made in my journey. Hands down I'm in the right place at HRC.
Ask questions, anything on your mind. Dr Norian will put you at ease through this process.
For my first fresh cycle I was on bcp followed by stim protocol of menopur and follistim. I stopped ovulation with ganirelix and triggered with pregnyl. Great cycle 16 retrieved, 12 mature, 8 fertilized, and 6 made it to blasts. After retrieval I was on progesterone in ethyl olate- which I LOVE because it doesn't cause knots along with delestrogen injections and endometrin suppositories. For FET I was on estrogen suppositories, delestrogen, progesterone in ethyl olate, and endometrin.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Strength[s for HRC-Rancho Cucagmonga] : all the employees are wonderful from Amanda at the desk, to Dr. Norian. Weakness: it is a small clinic and a lot of procedures are done out of house at the Pasadena location (still by dr. Norian)... During iui cycles Saba and Cynthia [nurses] stepped up to care for us and then again during our IVfs of course. They knew EVERYTHING about our cycles and were so patient even with our stupid questions and held our hands and always made sure I was comfortable.
European, Black or African-American
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
Strength: all the employees are wonderful from Amanda at the desk, to Dr. Norian. Weakness: it is a small clinic and a lot of procedures are done out of house at the Pasadena location (still by dr. Norian)
He always remembered what was going on in mine and my wife’s life and the first time he met me he told me how great my uterus was! I know that can sound weird but it really made me feel great about being there and hopeful. He also was very real with us about our chances and even told us about other patients successes (without saying names or even when they were patients of course!) I just personally felt like he cared. And so did his staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer for the IUI and then Cynthia and Saba for the IVF)
Everyone here is amazing. Jennifer left during our second iui cycle and was gone a lot during our first so she wasn’t great but Saba and Cynthia were amazing. During iui cycles Saba and Cynthia stepped up to care for us and then again during our IVfs of course. They knew EVERYTHING about our cycles and were so patient even with our stupid questions and held our hands and always made sure I was comfortable. Saba no longer works there, but she’s an angel!
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian was the only doctor I saw while a patient at HRC. He knew everything about my treatment and was always ready to adjust our plan as needed. He was also friendly, gentle, and caring. He never made me feel uncomfortable or rushed through at any appointment
Be patient! He is the only doctor at his office but he will treat you kindly and spend as much time with you as needed. The one thing I will say is he does start with a sort of blanket treatment based on what he thinks your odds are and will move from there depending on how you react to treatment. My wife often got slightly annoyed by this, but it’s understandable. While treating me, he noticed I responded exceptionally well to mess and he worried about hyperstimulation a lot and tried not to be too aggressive in his approaches. So I’d say patience is needed because he is a bit cautious.
1st IUI we did the lowest does of clomid because I was young, and had a great uterus/cervix and Dr. Norian wanted to be calm in his approach if I didn’t need aggressive treatment. we also used a trigger shot to release eggs and then 2 rounds of insemination a day apart. Cycle 2 was the next lowest does of clomid so more drugs basically and then no trigger or insemination because I responded ok, but he couldn’t pinpoint a specific ovulation date and I seemed to ovulate in weird parts. Last IUI was a drug that treats breast cancer but is also good for fertility (forgot the name! Sorry!) this time it was slightly easier to find the ovulation And then inseminate. Again failing. A few months later we did IVF because Dr. Norian was worried about my ovulation disorder and so we we did a round of birth control and then we did Gonal-f, Menopur, and another drug over the course of 2 weeks, gonal-f and menopur for one week and then both and the other injection the second week. We then did the trigger shot and I had egg retrieval. Dr. Norian then had me do one more round of birth control to essentially start me over “fresh” as he said and then we did hormone therapy for 2 weeks with suppository endometrin 4 Times a day, (after a build up period) and then lozenges the week before actual transfer, methylpreslidone, and estrogen patches that I changed every three days. After transfer I did lozenges for a week and then when I got my positive test Dr. Norian had me begin taking progesterone in oil injection in my muscle because I had very low progesterone. We did that for I believe 4 weeks until the placenta had formed nicely and then he stopped me on oils and I just did endometrin for a few more days and then we tapered off to no progesterone!
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
Ultrasounds were $270 each The 2 day insemination was $900 I don’t remember the all inclusive IVF price but I believe it was ~$15,000 that included ultrasounds, bloodwork, pregnancy tests, the retrieval and the transfer as well as all of the egg insemination and one year of egg storage. Egg storage is $800 a year. I have 14 embryos in storage still since im a WARRIOR who will be doing this again soon!
Dr. Norian let us pick. We chose to do 2 embryos because we wanted to increase our chances and my wife reeeeeaally wanted twins
2004 - 2016
[HRC - Westlake's] Strengths would be, affordable treatment, In house egg donor program. Weakness would be, depending on the time of year they may be understaffed...My experience as a patient was a positive one. I felt very comfortable Dr. Kolb from the start, he listened, then recommended certain medical treatments to under go prior to cycling so we could have the best outcome. Which worked, I conceived on our first attempt with Dr. Kolb.
2004 - 2016
European, Latino, Native American
Describe your experience with HRC.
During our first meeting with Dr. Kolb he was exactly what we were looking for in a Dr. friendly and personable, a Dr. who was eager to help us in achieving our goal to have a family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
I had 2 Fresh cycles and 1 FET at HRC. The first was many years ago my nurses no longer work there. The main care coordinator as well as the other nurses made me feel comfortable, they always greeted us with smiles and you could tell they loved the work they did. This last cycle my nurse coordinator was over loaded with patients do to being short staffed during that time. Understandably frustrating for her and us, yet, after expressing our concern we all tried to make the best out of a stressful situation.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Be open with what you feel will work for you, you know your body best, he'll listen and make every attempt possible to meet your needs as a patient.
For my first IVF cycle with Dr. Kolb, we did Traditional IVF age factor, Day 3 transfer - 1 successful singleton pregnancy and healthy delivery, my son. FET - unsuccessful 2nd IVF Minimal IVF (per my request, age factor) financial cost, less medication - Day 5 transfer - unsuccessful
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
1. Cycle fee Payment. 2. Separate Payment to Pharmacy for protocol medications. 3. Purchased and reimbursed HRC for medication provided to complete cycle prior to retrieval. 4. Payment to on site Surgical Center for Anesthesia for egg retrieval.
No, he didn't have a set number nor force his recommendation, it was a decision we (the patients) and Dr. agreed on. My embryo transfers were based on how many we had and no amount would be transferred that could potentially put my health at risk.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Love that they have their own lab [at HRC - Fullerton] so they can do fresh transfers with PGS!!!...[Nurse] Natalie is amazing! She gave me all the information I desired, shows empathy and compassion. She even helped me transfer to a regular OB/GYN early because I could not afford all the ultrasounds as we have Kaiser HMO so nothing at HRC was covered. I still email her from time to time. Earlier this week I emailed her to ask about starting another cycle for a second baby and she answered it in minutes with the perfect amount of detail and did not mind my following up with questions to clarify...
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with HRC.
Love that they have their own lab so they can do fresh transfers with PGS!!!
The first nurse/coordinator I had, Natalija, did not give me the information I requested during our cycle- she told me I didn't need to know what my AF count or estradiol levels were because "it would stress me out." She said some nurses give that information, but she doesn't. Further along she wouldn't even acknowledge my questions for clarification on things and simply tell me to look at the materials provided (which I had ALREADY looked at and did not have the information I wanted). I later switched to a different nurse/coordinator, Natalie, and she gave me the in depth information I was seeking. She continues to treat me as a valued person even though I am currently not in treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: First Natalija, then Natalie-- I will answer with Natalie in mind)
Natalija was nice and sympathetic, however, she did not want to give me details or detailed answers to my questions. Several email exchanges will show she didn't even always read what my questions were before answering. The 4th time that my interaction with her had me in tears and feeling incredibly angry I called and spoke to her supervisor and requested another nurse/coordinator. At that point they gave me Natalie. Natalie is amazing! She gave me all the information I desired, shows empathy and compassion. She even helped me transfer to a regular OB/GYN early because I could not afford all the ultrasounds as we have Kaiser HMO so nothing at HRC was covered. I still email her from time to time. Earlier this week I emailed her to ask about starting another cycle for a second baby and she answered it in minutes with the perfect amount of detail and did not mind my following up with questions to clarify. I'm keeping her forever!
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
Doctor Potter did not have the most warm bedside manner, but he was honest and frank with us. He answered my questions and gave the in depth responses I desired. However, I did not feel like he remembered us even from the time frame between retrieval and transfer (6 days). He treated my husband and I both as important people involved in the decision process. We appreciated that as so many others in the infertility world seem to act as if only the woman matters. He was very confident and practical. He did not hide anything from us. My favorite thing he did was say "now take good care of that baby girl" as we were leaving after the transfer. It was so touching and made me feel like I was a mom, it makes me cry just thinking about it. We are planning on doing another cycle with him next year in hopes of getting a sibling for are dear daughter.
He may not have the warmest bedside manner, but he is good at his job and will listen to you and give you the information you need. I trust him implicitly because of these qualities.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
We spent at total of $17,000 including medications for ICSI, IVF, ultrasounds, PGS, and first 2 betas. ICSI was about $1200, anesthesia was $400, Meds we $3,400.
We did not have a conversation regarding this as two of our three embryos that made it were found to have chromosomal abnormalities leaving us with only one option.
Fullerton
When I had questions they'd go days without being answered. The baseline appt [at HRC Pasadena] wasn't made until 4:30pm the day before! My husband had to put his entire work day on ice because he didn't know what time he was needed, only that he was needed...Bottom line, I spoke to Monica and she is aware of what happened and she got me reassigned. Back to priming with the pill. I'll never know if this had an effect, but I produced far fewer eggs than was expected based on my hormone levels on my Day 3 check. Again, we will never know, but I am dead certain the doctor didn't prescribe
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
I want to say that the situation was rectified after I spoke to MONICA who was the head nurse on BK's team. I was reassigned to KIMBERLY who was lovely, always responsive and answered my questions lovingly and took her time. But only after I had lived a nightmare with NATALIE PENA. Yes, she gets a first and last name call out. If she is assigned to you, run do not walk to Monica and ask to be reassigned. This nurse mismanaged my care so poorly, it MAY have affected my outcome. We'll never know. I said before I was primed with the pill. ONLY because I told Natalie that my husband had a work trip and I called to get more details on our IVF schedule. It was my first and I had no clue how long anything took, etc. She put me on the pill instead of letting me know that we could have frozen my husband sperm to use at egg retrieval. The original protocol was to start off a natural cycle. I never spoke to Dr. Kolb regarding this change, because I didn't think about it. Then there was the fiasco with the meds. I won't go into detail, but I could write a book. In the end, my meds ended up coming late and costing me $1000 more because she took too long to order them. Then she acted like she was dong me a huge favor by "loaning" me meds to start my cycle on time. When I had questions they'd go days without being answered. The baseline appt wasn't made until 4:30pm the day before! My husband had to put his entire work day on ice because he didn't know what time he was needed, only that he was needed. I could go on but I'll stop because I'm bored of my complaining. Bottom line, I spoke to Monica and she is aware of what happened and she got me reassigned. Back to priming with the pill. I'll never know if this had an effect, but I produced far fewer eggs than was expected based on my hormone levels on my Day 3 check. Again, we will never know, but I am dead certain the doctor didn't prescribe those pills. Maybe he would have anyway? But if I had known I could have just frozen my husbands sperm I would have opted for that 8 days a week! Again, we'll never know.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb is a very smart man. He might not be the most talkative, but you can tell he's brilliant. The transfer was so much easier than I expected! I was most nervous about it and felling very vulnerable. You don't have access to him as a patient. Only his nursing staff. I get that he doesn't want to answer every single minuscule question about the process, but i think it'd be nice to get more answers directly from him.
You're going to this clinic because of their success rates. Not to make best friends with your doctor. Know that going in and you'll be fine. Also, this guy knows his way around a cervix. haha! You want that in an RE.
I was primed with birth control but only due to scheduling. More on that later. I was on antagonist protocol.
Pasadena
I was paired with a nurse [at HRC Pasadena], Justina Wang, who I could contact at any time via phone or email. This service was extremely comforting. Both Dr. Nelson and Nurse Wang were just generally friendly and approachable....I had a little mixup with one of the accounting ladies. She told me that the HSG that I was scheduled to have would cost upwards of 10k out of pocket and would require anesthesia. I'm not sure what happened, I guess she just got confused. It kinda spooked me though. Turns out it was more like a couple hundred bucks and felt like a slightly more annoying pap.
Describe your experience with HRC.
It's pretty schmancy on the inside. There's parking! The waiting room can be somewhat hectic at times but it's generally a nice atmosphere and the people are perfectly friendly.
I was paired with a nurse, Justina Wang, who I could contact at any time via phone or email. This service was extremely comforting. Both Dr. Nelson and Nurse Wang were just generally friendly and approachable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Justina Wang)
Justina was easy to contact and had constant updates for me. This was especially appreciated when I was anxious to get test results or schedule appointments.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
He was extremely frank, which I appreciated. At my first appointment we discussed my husband and my medical history and what attempts we had been making to this point to conceive. Dr Nelson listened to us and then very clearly stated how we would proceed. It was kinda like "oh, you want to have a baby, here's how we're going to do it." No bs, no voodoo.
If you want to discuss how your vegan diet or meditation practices are impacting your fertility he's probably not the guy for you.
We started with a series of diagnostic tests. Blood work and sperm samples, etc. Once everything checked out ok the plan was to have an HSG and the following cycle to start with IUI - because of my relative young age and no obvious problems. We agreed that we could afford to do the shots vs. Chlomid, which seemed to have better results as well. I got pregnant naturally after the HSG so I didn't proceed with the original treatment plan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
Blood work was more expensive there. I think it was $30/ visit. Much cheaper to go to labcorp. Our first visit was a couple hundred bucks.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic [HRC] is pretty simple looking and could honestly use some updating but don’t let that fool you. Everyone is so kind and everything is clean...The staff at HRC was the reason I loved them so much. They were so kind and helpful...Everyone in the clinic knew my name, our situation and treated me with kindness. I was never rushed out of questions or felt unheard...I felt like talking to anyone on the nursing staff was just as good. They treated me like a person not a number
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is pretty simple looking and could honestly use some updating but don’t let that fool you. Everyone is so kind and everything is clean. I was a little off put when I walked in and it looked like such a simple interior but really great work happens there
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Danette ! )
The staff at HRC was the reason I loved them so much. They were so kind and helpful. Obviously it wasn’t always possible to talk to DR. Coffler but I felt like talking to anyone on the nursing staff was just as good. They treated me like a person not a number
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Dr.Coffler initially was not my favorite person. I thought he was slightly blunt. However by the end of my cycles , I realized why. He was absolutely the doctor I needed to get through ivf. He was straight forward in what was going on and exactly what needed to happen for my cycles to be successful.
Be open to having a different kind of doctor than you expected. I went in thinking I needed a warm, giggly female doctor who I could talk to. Having a straight forward and kind Dr.Coffler ended up being much better
Dr. Coffler started me on 1 month of birth control before moving onto injections. After egg retrieval, he changed my protocol based on my body’s response. He was very open to changing things during my cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
As a military family we were given a discount on our IVF and FET. Medications were just under 2k with a discount we found. The IVF procedure was $4500. The FET was $2500. Ultrasounds during the cycles were under $50 when not covered. Storage for 1 year was $750 for embryos
Dr.Coffler proffered we transfer one embryo but my husband and I chose 2 both times. First time resulted in MC of twins. Second time in a singleton (who is now 2)
2013 - 2015
8 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
It seemed towards the last few cycles I felt more like a number. The clinic [HRC - Encino] was very clean. I didn't like them moving where I received my acupuncture treatment into an open space. I loved that they offered acupuncture treatment there. The equipment seemed very up to date...All of the nurses were pretty good and caring. After my first cycle it seemed like the nurses kept rotating so I always saw a different nurse. That was annoying.
2013 - 2015
8 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with HRC.
It seemed towards the last few cycles I felt more like a number. The clinic was very clean. I didn't like them moving where I received my acupuncture treatment into an open space. I loved that they offered acupuncture treatment there. The equipment seemed very up to date.
He was good about listening to my concerns and not pushing me out the door at least for the 1st few cycles. Towards the last the few cycles it seemed our consultations after were brief to me. I would see him for exams and pre and post retrievals and transfers. I don't know if my repeated disappointment was projected on to him and then he felt it harder to deal my transfer failure. I'm not sure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Leticia and others)
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
He was kind and direct. Sometimes he seemed impatient or quick to move things along which can be perceived as impatient. He explained things well but sometimes seemed disconnected to the experience....like he couldn't directly relate. Overall he felt very experienced however, I wish we had done some things differently. Like testing for my progesterone level before the transfers.
Go as prepared and researched as possible. Write your questions down and maybe email them so that he's had time to look over them first.
we did only 3 day transfers. The last cycle we tried for a 5 day blastocyst. the embryo died between day 3 and 5. i don't remember specific medications but I remember that he said they were aggressive however in my Facebook support groups other women had more aggressive protocols so I do question that. Also, after my last cycle I suggested we test for the progesterone level only to find out that my progesterone level was short for a transfer. I wish we had done this before.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
i don't remember specific. i know i've spent well over 30k during the cycles. probably closer to 50k
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The strength of this clinic [HRC] would be they are orgnanized and work like a well oiled machine in the way of being efficent with communication and your care but a weakness would be the long wait times we endured just to see the doctor...Our care coordinator was amazing. She was there to answer any questions or concerns along the way and explained the treatment and process in a way we could understand. The nursing staff was helpful and showed concern and compassion.
European, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with HRC.
The strength of this clinic would be they are orgnanized and work like a well oiled machine in the way of being efficent with communication and your care but a weakness would be the long wait times we endured just to see the doctor.
Dr. Potter is great at what he does which is why so many people want to be under his treatment which can lead to him being very busy. So there were visits which led to long wait times and once you get your turn to meet with him it seemed rushed at times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Nataljia Matic )
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
When my husband and I first met with Dr. Potter we knew right then we wanted him to be the one to help us on our journey to starting a family which was going to involve IVF. We had read many great reviews on him and his accomplishments in the fertility world. He was proactive in coming up with a plan in the way injections and all that was needed for a successful embryo transfer. We started the process a month or so after meeting with him. When we were to meet with him a long wait time was usually involved. But he is a popular guy and we understand we were not the only ones in need of his care. My egg retrieval resulted in 5 mature eggs and only one developed into an embryo which we had transferred at 3 days. We were not able to do any genetic testing on the embryo as planned since there was just the one and there was a concern with it surviving the extra couple of days outside of me. The transfer resulted in a positive pregnancy test. We were elated! At the 6 week ultrasound when we were told we would hear the heartbeat there was no heartbeat to hear. At week 7 we saw the heartbeat but did not hear it. At week 8 we had an Ultrasound with Dr. Potter and the pregnancy was confirmed a loss at that time. The pregnancy had stopped growing for whatever reason. I had a D & C shortly there after. We were devastated but we believe Dr. Potter did everything he could in an effort for us to have a healthy viable pregnancy. It did not work out that way but we would go back to him to try again in the future.
Be patient and plan on a long wait time at visits.
Dr. Potter was agressive in the way of medication and dosage instructed. I have few and not so great eggs so it was important to be able to get as many as possible during the egg retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
Back in 2014 the IVF procedure itself was just under $9000, medication around $6500 (keep in mind we stopped medication at 8 weeks so it would have been more) and there are other costs such as the testing. ultrasounds, egg retrieval, etc. We also had the D & C procedure. Our total out of pocket expense for the one IVF cycle was just under $19,000.
I only had one embryo to transfer so I am not certain what would have happened had there been 2 or more.
PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic staff [at HRC Encino] is helpful and the front desk staff friendly. I never had any issues with billing. They were always friendly when helping me and I was never caught off guard with unknown charges. Scheduling was easy and as flexible as timed fertility treatments allow. The clinic hosts information sessions that you can attend and meet the doctors. Several clinics in the area host these. I would recommend attending. We were able to rule out another clinic based on attending one. The actual office is nice and the atmosphere pleasant. Parking was never an issue; they have a garage, metered street spaces and free parking on a side street.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic staff is helpful and the front desk staff friendly. I never had any issues with billing. They were always friendly when helping me and I was never caught off guard with unknown charges. Scheduling was easy and as flexible as timed fertility treatments allow. The clinic hosts information sessions that you can attend and meet the doctors. Several clinics in the area host these. I would recommend attending. We were able to rule out another clinic based on attending one. The actual office is nice and the atmosphere pleasant. Parking was never an issue; they have a garage, metered street spaces and free parking on a side street.
Dr Peck seemed to really care about us. She personally called with results of lab work and was very good at delivering the news (good or bad) in a very caring and professional manner. When things didn't go as planned, she took the time to make sure we were ok.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Jennie Tran)
Jennie was great. We saw her every visit after seeing Dr Peck. She would answer any additional questions that we forgot to bring up with Dr Peck. She also handled scheduling of appointments with us. We did a lot of communicating through email if anything came up between appointments. She was great about helping me figure out if any of my symptoms were significant (or not) and letting me know when to come in for further evaluation. The rest of the medical staff was wonderful as well. The clinic does on site blood draws and everyone was always kind and very professional.
How was your experience with Alison Peck at HRC?
Dr Peck felt like family to us throughout the course of our treatments. We are a female/female couple and that was never an issue. My wife has no inclination to be a gestational carrier; we mentioned that at our initial meeting and even though I had a few health issues, she never brought it up as an option. (Small back story: We had a meeting with another RE before we found Dr Peck and without getting any health history from either of us, he look at us and said he chose my wife to be the carrier. We mentioned that she was not comfortable with that and was a carrier for a genetic issue. He just said he would use my eggs but she would carry. Needless to say, we didn't see him again.) This experience made my wife extremely uncomfortable but Dr Peck was very respectful and we never felt pressured to do anything we were not comfortable doing. She treated my wife as an equal partner in our fertility journey. We were with Dr Peck through 4 IUIs (the first 2 negative, 3rd miscarriage, 4th was an ectopic pregnancy) and our successful IVF cycle. She was the one that gave us updates (good and bad) and we saw her at every appointment. She was patient with us and answered all our questions. She gave us options in our treatment and explained both the positive and negative of pursuing different plans. Throughout the whole process, she was supportive and caring. I cried the day I "graduated" from the fertility clinic because I really felt like they were my family during the time we were there.
If you don't understand something or have additional questions, speak up and ask her about it. She's really good at explaining how different meds work and the pros and cons of different techniques. She's also realistic with presenting your chance of conceiving. I never felt like we were doing treatments that were unnecessary or wouldn't help us increase our chances of conception.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Peck at HRC.
It was comparable to other clinic's costs for fertility treatment in the Los Angeles area. They also provided discounted programs if you qualify (refund program, purchase of multiple ivf rounds for a discount, etc). They let you know about the programs but don't pressure you to use them.
Describe Alison Peck's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
Dr Peck preferred to do a single embryo transfer but was open to transferring more. We just wanted a healthy pregnancy so pre-transfer day we decided a single transfer would be our approach. On the day of the transfer, we only had 2 embryos that were viable that had tested fine through pgs. We were going to transfer just one but the other one's quality wasn't high enough to survive the freezing process. After talking with Dr Peck, we decided to transfer both. Our end result was a single healthy baby.
Alison Peck
1 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing
Well, even if I had a positive outcome, I would not go back [to HRC Pasadena]...Facilities are ok, location is convenient. Perhaps if you have particular issues, one of the doctors may be able to specifically help. Also, Dr Nelson seemed much nicer than my other doctors. However this is outweighed by their unprofessionalism (giving me over optimistic treatment), and general incompetence (mischeduling appointments, not providing timely information). Some may say this is because I had a negative outcome. Well, even if I had a positive outcome, I would not go back.
1 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with HRC.
Very nice guy, very caring in person
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Germaine Underbrink)
Originally, I would say horrible. Now I realise they are horrible to average. As a highly educated person paying a lot of money for treatment, I expected a more professional and organised staff. Instead, I had to consistently be on top of my own treatment, remind the staff of certain issues they were not aware of or forgot, and in general, they made a stressful process that much worse. I've since come to realise that this is true of most clinics but Dr Nelson's team was particularly bad. In their defence, they had personal issues of which I was made aware later but if that is the situation, please take time off or allow another person to provide primary care. In particular, I was frustrated that when Germaine was away, I was unable to receive information about my treatment. What is the point of going to a clinic with several doctors if the nursing staff can't handle jobs for each other??
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
A bit scatter brained it seemed? During our second appointment, he forgot who I was even though we'd had an hour long initial consultation one month ago. At the very least, please review the chart. However, did come across as a nice guy. The only thing I will fault him for is that my initial ultrasound showed very low potential for egg retrieval. That month was a bit low, maybe because of stress or sickness. Since this is my first time, I didn't know any better and trusted the doctor when he said this was not the best indicator. FALSE!!! It can happen that results are better than expected but I suspect that percentage is exceedingly low. Had I known, I would have put off the egg retrieval to a following cycle where I would have better results. I blame the doctor for suggesting we proceed when initial results showed poor probability, implying that they wanted business more than they cared about me
The pill initially then menopur and follistim. Follow on doctors were surprised by my dosage implying he knew I was low and was trying to stimulate aggressively. Otherwise, a quite typical 10 day stimulation, 12 day retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
Egg retrieval was approximately 6000 and drug protocol was approximately another 6000
7 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
7 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr. Boostanfar is decisive and has great bedside manner. He explains things well, but doesn't speak to you like an idiot. Every step of the way was focused on me and my responses. He didn't just have a default protocol which he stuck to, he came up with something different for me and tweaked it along the way depending on what he saw during our visits. He made us feel like we were family. He hugged me, my husband, and my parents. He always took time to say hello to everyone, even if they were out in the lobby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Shanise Ahseim)
I love Shanise. She was responsive and always answered my numerous questions with a smile.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
Dr. Robert Boostanfar: There are no words to express my gratitude for this man and his staff. After 9 years of marriage without contraception, 5 years of trying to conceive, multiple specialists, 7 failed IUIs, and 1 failed IVF cycle we decided to seek out the best fertility doctor in the country regardless of proximity to our home. Dr. Boostanfar was that guy and thank god we found him. He is decisive and has great bedside manner. He explains things well, but doesn't speak to you like an idiot. His technique and skill is impeccable. Every step of the way was focused on me and my responses. He didn't just have a default protocol which he stuck to, he came up with something different for me and tweaked it along the way depending on what he saw during our visits. The best part of this story is that he got me pregnant on my first cycle with him AND we have 3 more frozen embryos waiting!! I can say with all honesty that Dr. Boostanfar is the best fertility doctor in the country.
GO SEE HIM IMMEDIATELY! I wish we saw him sooner.
Birth control, Lupron, Menopur. 400 x more successful then my last cycle.
Encino
HRC is a pretty big operation, we went to the Newport office and liked it better than the Fullerton office where we first went. It's a new facility with the embryology lab in the same building, so there's no transfer or shipping, and they can do the PGS testing immediately so they can do fresh transfers.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The entire staff at HRC Newport are very good and keep you informed. We really loved our coordinator and the nurses. Dr. Potter has a great attitude, and we felt like he cared about us, but you don't see him nearly as much as the other staff, who are the ones keeping in touch with you day to day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
We really liked lots of the staff. Stephanie was our coordinator, and she really kept us sane. For the most part, emails and calls were answered promptly, and we didn't feel like we weren't cared about. They really made it feel like they were excited for us.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
We would definitely use Dr. Potter again. He gets very good results. We felt like he understood what we wanted, and answered our questions. The one downside is that he is busy, and not good at staying prompt with his schedule. We would routinely wait an hour or more to see him.
He's very good, but have your questions prepared in advance of your appointment, and be prepared to wait to see him.
We started with medicated IUIs, two with Clomid. The first cycle we did 2 IUIs, and the second we asked to do 1 to save on the donor vials. After those didn't work, we asked to change the medication, and used Gonal-f. This worked too well, and we ended up being given the option to cancel or to move to IVF. We did the IVF and retrieved 21, with 13 making it to day 5. Because of these good results, we were counseled to do PGS testing, and we ended with 9 normal embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
Our insurance covered only 50% of certain tests, and no actual treatments. Our IUI cycles, with donor vials, were around $3,000 each, of which the vials were the largest cost. Our final IUI that was converted to IVF was around $9000, and then the PGS screening was $4,600. Then there was an $700 or $800 freeze/storage charge for the remaining embryos. After we were pregnant, then our insurance covered the post IVF ultrasounds. We did have a moderate case of OHSS, and they did a draining procedure, but this was also covered by insurance since it was a 'pregnancy complication.'
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Rishona [a nurse at HRC-West LA} was fine. She's smart. I found nurses at other places to be much more sweet & compassionate...but Rishona did her job fine.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
Already explained earlier. Lots of weaknesses!
He was the 1st fertility doctor i went to; this was all new to me. All my friends were referred to him too so i felt like i was in the right place. All of my embryos w/him came back complex abnormal. He told me i should use donor eggs or adopt. Then i went to a new doctor. She looked at my chart and was surprised at the high dosage of meds he gave me. She said "i'm gonna give you much less meds. And while i can't guarantee you a perfect embryo, i CAN guarantee you the embryos i get for you will look much better than these do." On my 1st round w/her, she got us a chromosomally normal embryo! And to think Tourgemann told me to adopt...i then canvassed my friends who had also gone to him & they all were given high dosages. He has success at times for patients, but in my opinion he just plugs women with similar high dosages & hopes for the best. He doesnt thoroughly look at your chart & customize things for YOU. Its as if he has 1 "recipe". & if his recipe doesn't work for you, then he'll tell you to adopt. I wish i hadn't wasted 1.5 years on him. I was 39/40 back then...i would do anything to get those years back :(
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Rishona)
Rishona was fine. She's smart. I found nurses at other places to be much more sweet & compassionate...but Rishona did her job fine.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC?
He is a kind & compassionate man. But that's all the positives i have to share. He fumbled my case entirely. I only wish i had realized it while it was happening. On my first IVF, we were transferring 3 embryos. I was 39. He never: 1) told me about PGS or PGD testing. I wouldve done this in a heartbeat. He almost acted "against it". He was not aggressive at all. On my 2nd IVF w/him, it was ME who insisted on PGD testing - lo & behold, all my embs came back complex abnormal. He absolutely shouldve suggested this for my 1st IVF considering my age. He wouldve saved me crucial time (and money). Everything for me is out-of-pocket expense :( 2) i have thyroid disease. Before we transferred that 1st batch of 3 embryos, i asked him to re-check my thyroid. Both he & the nurse said it wasn't necessary as they had checked it 1.5 months earlier. I INSISTED & explained that my thyroid could go erratic at any moment. So they did a blood test & a week before my embryo transfer he called me and said "wow - you were right. Your thyroid is off. I'm calling in a new prescription for you right away! Start taking it today!" I did so & all 3 of those embs failed. Since then, two other doctors have read my chart. They both said, "he should've never transferred those embryos. Thyroid meds take a couple of months to have effect. He should've held off on transferring those embryos to make sure your thyroid levels were healthy first." Both doctors also said "and those were healthy looking embryos too." It makes me SO mad i could cry. 3) he never did genetic testing on me or my husband. I have since learned that this is the FIRST thing competent fertility doctors do. He never even mentioned it to me. 4) he never talked about supplements or vitamins either (Coq10 or DHEA). When i went to my 2nd doctor, she put me right on these vitamins. And guess what? Within 1.5 months, I was NATURALLY pregnant for the 1st time in my life. I miscarried (the baby had downs syndrome :(...but bottom line, that baby was still chromosomally healthier than anything Tourgemann was able to get me with his "high dosage recipe". I almost want to cry re-hashing all of this!!! He was incompetent & a colossal waste of key years for me in regards to my fertility.
Don't go. Much better doctors out there. Find one who customizes your medicine protocol to YOU specifically. Also, when my first transfer of 3 embs failed, he didn't even change my meds to try something new. He went back to his lazy, usual "recipe". Disaster. The two other doctors pointed this out to me.
See previous responses. Too angry to discuss any further...
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC.
I probably spent about 12k on two ivfs (24k) & maybe 5k on each IUI ( hard to remember). I spent about 30-35k cash on this wasted cause.
Explained earlier...
IVF, Donor Eggs
Everything was great [at HRC] except the billing! Really wish I could remember the specific woman in billing who was HORRIBLE: confused and confusing, defensive when she made mistakes (which she did). I feel we were not given a clear picture of the TOTAL cost at the beginning (I have heard this of most clinics-no matter how much you ask for total, ball-park, most money you'll have to spend, it's always more than they told you). It was the only thing that soured our experience at HRC. I think she may not be there anymore, so hopefully that's better...
European, Black or African-American, Native American
Describe your experience with HRC.
Everything was great except the billing! Really wish I could remember the specific woman in billing who was HORRIBLE: confused and confusing, defensive when she made mistakes (which she did). I feel we were not given a clear picture of the TOTAL cost at the beginning (I have heard this of most clinics-no matter how much you ask for total, ball-park, most money you'll have to spend, it's always more than they told you). It was the only thing that soured our experience at HRC. I think she may not be there anymore, so hopefully that's better...
Dr kolb explained things very clearly, patiently, and kindly. Consulted with another dr at CARE before going to HRC, and they were kind but not as clear/I felt confused. Not w/dr kolb.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
So glad we went with dr kolb. We feel he is the number one reason we have our beautiful daughter! There was a minor setback w/the donor-dr kolb felt the first round of eggs weren't quite up to his standards, so even though we all felt impatient and eager to move forward, he made the donor start over. It set us all back a month or two, but it made the eggs the best quality, and we genuinely believe this is why our treatment was successful and we have our now 3 year-old perfect daughter! I am not convinced another fertility center would have been as discriminating or patient as dr kolb was.
Listen to him! He knows what he's doing. I did not have great experiences with other clinics that I consulted with before settling on dr kolb at hrc. I'm SO thankful that I trusted myself and kept looking until I felt truly comfortable with the clinic and doctor. This process was stressful and emotional enough; I needed something to feel right.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
Probably ended up around $40-$50,000 when all was said and done (I'm including all Meds, the egg donor, etc, which may not all be directly related to the clinic; I'm not sure of specifics w/only the clinic
2012 - 2013
I LOVED the nurses at HRC. Even the nurse who drew my blood was incredible. The women were so warm and compassionate. On rough days they always gave me a hug. I felt comfortable calling or emailing at anytime and it never took long to hear a reply...My biggest complaint was the wait time... I get very claustrophobic and it was upsetting to me that I would arrive to my appointment well in advance and then they'd shuttle me into my room where I would wait sometimes 30min +. It was also uncomfortable since I was unclothed from the waist down.
Describe your experience with HRC.
My biggest complaint was the wait time. I get very claustrophobic and it was upsetting to me that I would arrive to my appointment well in advance and then they'd shuttle me into my room where I would wait sometimes 30min +. It was also uncomfortable since I was unclothed from the waist down.
Dr. Nelson had a nice bedside manner and definitely spent time with me to answer all my questions. But- I did feel the wait time was too long even when I arrived to my scheduled appointment early.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Germaine and Addelaide)
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
He is very knowledgable and experienced. My husband and I felt comfortable in his care. He wasn't pushy when we requested to try clomid treatments for almost a year before taking another measures. He also made sure that both my husband and I had all tests done to make sure there wasn't an "obvious" reason for our infertility.
Be prepared to carve out a large chunk of time for your normal schedule once you start treatments... the average wait time in the clinic seems a bit long.
Sorry, I cannot remember the exact treatment and strategies.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC.
I cannot be certain how much we spent but something I'm unhappy with is they offered an upfront plan where you paid 5K extra to get a second chance at the IVF process if it wasn't successful the first time. We were successful so it was a loss of 5K. Way too much of a gamble.
I was a bit hesitant to transfer 2-embryos but Dr. Nelson said given my age since I had never successfully gotten pregnant the chances for multiples was low. If I had known more about 5-day blasts and how "strong" they were I probably would have only transferred one. I became pregnant with twin boys.
2009 - 2012
2 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
HRC Pasadena is a high volume clinic. Each RE has his own clinical team but there are shared back office functions (billing). Dr. Kolb was often late, often double booked, often scattered as he went from patient to patient... Because of the number of staff, often times the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
2009 - 2012
2 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I demanded a partnership with him that I'm not sure he would have offered of his own volition. So, I did feel like a human, although I pushed to have that relationship and I know others who I referred to him reported not having that experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Marie Gil)
She got to know me, what I needed from her in terms of communication and the expectation of having timely follow-up. She was genuinely interested in me, my husband and our results. She went above and beyond to offer donated medication when available to help defray costs.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC?
Dr. Kolb is a great RE, up to date on latest treatment options and no afraid to work outside of the box when standard treatment options might not be indicated. That said, as a patient, I had to lead our relationship, push for communication, push for answers, demand responsiveness. We developed a great relationship over the decade that I saw him and I know he was invested in helping us achieve our goal of starting and completing our family.
Do not leave any appointment without a full understanding. Ask as many questions as you need to satisfy your understanding of your treatment protocol and why. Do your research and don't leave things that you don't understand or that don't make sense to you unsaid.
I did non-lupron, estrogen priming, cetrotide cycles that all included high dosages of stimulating medication, Medrol, baby aspirin, a combination of lining building estrogen agents and usually a combination of progesterone support. I cycled well, fertilization reports were high, my lining was an issue (not trilaminar but I eventually had two live births anyway).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC.
My own egg cycles were $10K plus another 3-4K in medication and $2,500 in PGD. My donor egg cycle was 30K give or take. My donor embryo cycle was 3K
2011 - 2012
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
The clinic [HRC- Encino] is very clean and quaint. I never felt hurried and the wait time was never long. Clinic staff were extremely helpful and compassionate. The billing department worked well with the company who financed IVF for me. I actually received a fairly significant refund that was completely unexpected a couple of years later as the clinic had done an audit and realized they owed me money.... Wendy (PA) was involved in a research study
2011 - 2012
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is very clean and quaint. I never felt hurried and the wait time was never long. Clinic staff were extremely helpful and compassionate. The billing department worked well with the company who financed IVF for me. I actually received a fairly significant refund that was completely unexpected a couple of years later as the clinic had done an audit and realized they owed me money.
Dr Boostanfar and his PA, Wendy, were very personable and I feel they truly cared about the outcome of my cycle. After diagnostic/monitoring appointments we would meet in a conference room to discuss his findings and recommendations. I have been through treatments in other clinics where the only way to describe the cycle is "like a bunch of cows being herded through." This was absolutely not the case with Dr Boostanfar.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy (PA) was involved in a research study and took on a lot of my care. She was amazing. Very patient, which is unclear to me HOW she could have been so attentive as I was a very anxious patient! She was quick to respond to phone calls and emails. I called with so many questions that probably were silly to her, but she never made me feel uncomfortable asking. She was present during my retrieval as it was a difficult procedure and it was so nice having her familiar face. I cannot thank her enough, mostly for putting up with me.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC?
As stated previously, Dr Boostanfar was very empathetic and I can tell he truly cared. He gave me a hug on egg retrieval day. He was a ray of sunshine during a very dark time in my life. He was very flexible with my circumstances as I had to travel almost 1200 miles from home.
Trust in his knowledge. Take a deep breath and let him take care of it all. Sometimes too much knowledge can cause anxiety and I wish I would've sit back a little bit more without worrying about Every. Single. Step. Impossible, right?
I did a round of IVF/ICSI with 5 day transfer of 3 embryos. I was on the Ganirelix protocol, which scared me because I had ovulated prior to retrieval during a cycle with a different RE. He was very sensitive to my concerns and explained why he thought this was still an appropriate choice and monitored me closely. I did successfully make it to retrieval under his care with 18 eggs retrieved.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC.
I don't remember costs, but they were significantly lower than the cost at clinics closer to my hometown.
We had 3 decent embryos and elected to transfer them all. He felt they would not be strong enough to store and it may have increased my success rate. I agreed. I did not get pregnant.
2007 - 2011
IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Personally, I think your doctor and primary nurse are the most important. HRC was great for me because of Dr. Evans and Cynthia but I would go wherever Dr. Michelle Evans is currently at...Cynthia was the best !!!!! She was with me every step of the way !!! Both were a great team !!! Dr. Michelle Evans was with HRC in Pasadena at the time of my treatment. She and her assistant Cynthia were with me professionally and emotionally every step of the way. " Timing" throughout the entire IVF process is critical... So much so that when it was "time" for the implantation of my embryos to occur Dr. Michelle Evans scheduled me on a Sunday and left her child's soccer game to personally perform the procedure.
2007 - 2011
IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with HRC.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michele Evans at HRC?
Dr. Michelle Evans was with HRC in Pasadena at the time of my treatment. She and her assistant Cynthia were with me professionally and emotionally every step of the way. " Timing" throughout the entire IVF process is critical... So much so that when it was "time" for the implantation of my embryos to occur Dr. Michelle Evans scheduled me on a Sunday and left her child's soccer game to personally perform the procedure. Dr. Evans and her assisstant nurse "Cynthia" talked to me on the phone EVERY DAY to walk me thru the process leading to the implantion of my 4 embryos. I truly felt and was treated like I was their only patient. The emotional Support I got was number one. Stress is a very big factor that prevents women from obtaining pregnancy and after meeting Dr. Michelle Evans the first time. My stress was reduced to zero. After the first insemination failed, I was worried that I would not be approved for in vitro due to my age. I was 42 years old and had been made to feel " too old" for IVF in both my initial meeting with a nurse in a NJ clinic and again when I called a very popular NYC fertility clinic where the first question asked was "how old are you" ? Dr Evans was never concerned about my age and told me regardless of age, no one can tell you what the quality of your eggs are until they are physically retrieved and analyzed. Turns out the quality of my eggs were "very good" which I always felt in my heart anyway ...maybe because of my Irish stubbornness that wouldn't allow me to accept anything less...and when i inquured further, I was told that the quality of my eggs were basically the same as if I was 30 years old. So ladies, don't let anyone judge you soley by your age. It's only one factor and personally I think it says a lot about a clinic if they put a lot of weight on it. I was never treated like a statistic or a number by Dr. Evans. I was treated like a woman who wanted a baby more than anything in the world and comforted when I cried and sobbed and probably asked the same questions more than once and treated with a lot of patience and understanding. I can't even put into words just how important that component is and I'm a professional woman but like all women, that goes out the window when we just want to be a mom :(... And yes I'm crying now as I write this because it takes me back to 2007 and where I am today, ..it's tears of pure happiness. I remember that moment when I got the call from Dr. Evans. She called me from her home after the office told me that my pregnancy test was positive just to share the joy with me.,.and yes, My 8 year girl is beautiful and smart and healthy. She's busy doing her homework at the moment. We just got back from violin practice a little while ago and I put this survey on my to do list on my I phone calendar. I don't do surveys. But this one is important. I remember how lost I felt and how I did not know where to go or what to do next. The negativity I felt from the initial meeting I had in the NJ clinic and the cold call question about my age on the phone from the NYC clinic made me want to leave the East coast and head West. I love California people. Something in my heart told me that the right doctor for me was in California. I followed my instincts and it lead me to Dr. Michelle Evans. Always follow your instincts and whatever God has planned will happen because whatever is for you will not go past you. Also, Dr. Evans is presently located at the Pacific Fertility Center in the Los Angeles area. After the birth of my daughter, I sent Christmas cards with her photo to Dr. Evans probably for the first 2 years. Other than that, I haven't had any contact with Dr. Evans in all these years but I do think of her often. She is and always will be the doctor that helped me receive my Angel from Heaven :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Cynthia - she was with HRC in Pasedena. I don't know where she is now.)
How was your experience with Michele Evans at HRC?
I set forth everything in the last question because with these types of surveys, you never know what the next question is or if it's the last question and I wanted to make sure I got to write everything that I believe is important about my experience. Yes. It did cost money to travel to California but I also underwent just one IVF and it was successful. Each woman travels down their own unique medical road but it's a road that's a whole lot easier to go down and more likely to be successful if you have the right Doctor and team on your side right from the start.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michele Evans at HRC?
Relax and throw the stress out the window. Your in the right place :)
Describe the protocols Michele Evans used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
Trust me, 9 years later, it's all a happy blur. What I do remember is that Dr. Evans and Cynthia made a complicated medical process very easy because they were there "really there" every step of the way. Every woman will have different protocols and there will be different strategies and different and unique issues will come up and maybe a road block or two. It doesn't matter, follow all instructions of your medical doctor, stay focused and get through the roadblocks and issues and get back on track and stay on track.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michele Evans at HRC.
I only underwent one insemination and one IVF. I spent more money on hotels and airlines than on my fertility treatments. I didn't go to Pacific Fertility because Dr. Evans was not there in 2007 so I didn't respond to any questions about the actual Clinic. But if Dr. Evans is there, I would trust that it's top notch.
Describe Michele Evans's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
I had four embryos implanted. Initially, I was told that 3 out of four would be implanted but by the day of the procedure, the 4 th was also good and " ready to go" I remember I remember that they were all genetically tested and "good to go " I am not familiar with eSET ( elective single embryo transfer)
Michele Evans
2012 - 2018
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
They [HRC - Encino] are prompt. Communication with coordinator could be better.... Monitoring is throughout the day. Dr. T [Tourgeman] was not there all day. But there is another doctor that will do it.... I had changed my number since 2012. When I went for me consult in 2018 I made sure to update. The front desk did not update in my hard copy file. When my coordinator order medicine she gave Pharmacy the wrong number. I called and asked them to change it. When it came time for egg retrieval the lab they had the OLD number.
2012 - 2018
Describe your experience with HRC.
They are prompt. Communication with coordinator could be better. Doctor should not assume about returning patients I feel I should have acted as though I was new and not be pushed under the rug in a way.
Dr. T is a genuine person. He truly cares about his patients. He has a calm and soft tone that makes us feel confident.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Jennie)
When she would talk to me about my meds she would refer to them as different medications. Confused me. Sometimes when I ask her to check on stuff she would forget. When I asked about my remaining embryos she didn’t call about updates and i was stressed out for an entire weekend after transfer.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC?
My first cycle in 2012 that resulted in my son, Dr. T was amazing, attentive, listened. We g above and beyond to help me achieve pregnancy. In 2018, I don’t know if it was because I was a returning patient. I didn’t feel like he was giving me 100%. Sometimes we would talk about a plan, then next time we meet he would say something totally different. I still think he is a great doctor I just didn’t feel confident this last time. Made me more disappointed when it didn’t work.
Ask a lot of questions. Take notes. He forgets what we talk about.
2012- follistim, menopur, ganerelix, progesterone. 2018- gonal-f, cetrotide, menopur, progesterone
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
Monitoring is throughout the day. Dr. T was not there all day. But there is another doctor that will do it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC.
2012- 15k 2018-13k We had utilize their military discount which was offered in 2018
My choice if I wanted it or not. Always transfer 2. In 2012 after 4 cycles didn’t work he did transfer 3 embryos when I was 24 years told.
Encino
Their [HRC- Fullerton] strengths is everything being in-house. From the REs personal offices, to the lab/embryo storage, to egg retrievals and transfers. It is nice to know that they do not send you elsewhere for any part of the process and you are set in one location.... So far we have only dealt with the front desk coordinator and she was very kind, soft spoken, and very accommodating to our inquiries and where we could seek out further information should we need it.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Their strengths is everything being in-house. From the REs personal offices, to the lab/embryo storage, to egg retrievals and transfers. It is nice to know that they do not send you elsewhere for any part of the process and you are set in one location.
She really, really cares about her patients succeeding and overcoming infertility and does her best to help you achieve your dreams.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC?
I've just started my journey at HRC but so far Dr. Ghazal has been warm, welcoming, and very thorough with her plan to handle our specific case. She understands the problems we are currently facing with our MFI, and currently undergoing the process to find out what if any diagnosis I have for my fertility.
Be honest and open throughout the process.
Since my husband has severe MFI, he would have to undergo a TESE or mTESE to extract sperm so that they can then be frozen and injected directly into my eggs via ICSI. This would also help our fertilization rates as an embryologist does this task skillfully. We do not yet know my current course of action as I have not completed all necessary testing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sanaz Ghazal at HRC.
Right now we do not know the total cost for a single round of IVF as we will be discussing these details in our upcoming appointment.
She believes that if you want one baby, you transfer one embryo. If you want two babies, you transfer two. No need to transfer two embryos if you just want a single child.
Sanaz Ghazal
Fullerton
The clinic [HRC] is great, just busy so sometimes the wait times are a little more than I would have liked. They also have a smaller parking lot. Other than that though, the staff was great, the facility is clean, and they tend to have great results.... In total, I have spent around $35k, and this is after he gave me a discount... [Nurse] She made me feel like I was her only patient, even though I know that's far from the truth with how busy the clinic is. She responded to emails and call the same day, and I knew I could count on her if I had a question.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is great, just busy so sometimes the wait times are a little more than I would have liked. They also have a smaller parking lot. Other than that though, the staff was great, the facility is clean, and they tend to have great results.
The staff is always very friendly and asked how I was doing. Dr. Wilcox himself makes small takes and reminds you that he's just a normal person and that you can be candid with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Ana Ballestro)
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC?
Dr. Wilcox was very nice and easy to talk with. He answered questions quickly, and never made me feel like a burden. This is a confusing process and he made sure that both my wife, and I, felt comfortable with moving forward.
He's busy because he's good at his job. If you want communication from him, be willing to communicate yourself as well. Don't sit back and wait for answers, but pursue them.
I used/use birthn control pills starting the 2nd day of my menstrual cycle, for 10 days. Then, I used delestrogen every 3 days (0.1ml the first two doses and .2ml for all the others), endometrin inserts every morning and evening (7 days prior), progesterone shots every morning at 6am (7 days prior). I also started the medrol dose pack the morning of the transfer.
In total, I have spent around $35k, and this is after he gave me a discount
2014 - 2018
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
This office [HRC] is very clean & organized. They are so very timely. I’d say the only weakness about their office is their parking! They have too many patients for such a small parking lot. The office is very clean & everyone is very friendly. They play nice relaxing music & they offer coffee/tea.... I had different costs for different procedures. That is one negative about the clinic. Sometimes I feel like the costs changed week to week as if it wasn’t set in stone. Sometimes I felt like they were guessing & I over paid once.
2014 - 2018
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
This office is very clean & organized. They are so very timely. I’d say the only weakness about their office is their parking! They have too many patients for such a small parking lot. The office is very clean & everyone is very friendly. They play nice relaxing music & they offer coffee/tea.
Even though he has thousands of patients he always treats net like my situation matters & he is extremely patient with me & answers all my questions. I never feel rushed!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Addiline Ficus)
She is very quick to respond to phone calls/emails & is very patient. Always answers all of our questions. She makes me feel like a best friend who really cares.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC?
Very respectful & patient. He always treats me like our situation matters & we never feel rushed. He answers questions thoroughly & at a level we can understand. I would definitely recommend him to others.
Write down list of questions so you get everything answered. I would bring a pen & paper with me to jot down notes of things he’d mention, but that’s just the OCD in me.
I saw him numerous times for different stages so all of my protocols were different. I ended up finding an amazing research center that he referred me to & I also have twins using a surrogate. My surrogate loves him too that she referred other people to him as well
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The employees at the [HRC] Newport Beach clinic are very nice and the facility is very clean. The Laguna Hills Office is a satellite office and is more quaint. The NEWPORT Beach Office is usually behind schedule and Dr. Potter runs really behind. Overall, the clinic is run very well.... Allyn Ann, my nurse practitioner with both doctors, is absolutely incredible. She was so helpful and compassionate through this very difficult process. I would recommend any of my friends to work with her. Natalija, my coordinator, is really good too. She is very responsive and compassionate.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
The employees at the Newport Beach clinic are very nice and the facility is very clean. The Laguna Hills Office is a satellite office and is more quaint. The NEWPORT Beach Office is usually behind schedule and Dr. Potter runs really behind. Overall, the clinic is run very well.
We have only met Dr. Potter once for our initial consult and he was very to the point. I didn’t necessarily feel like a number or a human with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Natalija )
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC?
We had our initial consult with Dr. Potter and he suggested we do further testing. He found out that I’m insulin resistant and that could have been a contributing factor to my miscarriage. I really liked his thoughts that we will exhaust all tests before we do a transfer. He’s a little quirky but very intelligent and that’s all that matters to me.
He’s quirky but he is very thorough and intelligent.
We haven’t started the specific treatment yet - we are getting ready to start soon.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC.
We have not been told of the costs for Dr. Potter but I believe it’s the same as the previous doctor we were with - $20,000
We are not at that point yet.
Newport Beach
The nurse [HRC - Rancho Cucamonga] was SO hard to understand. I asked to speak to Dr. Nirain but she said he was too busy. I did not understand what she was telling about my HSG which was frustrating.... Strengths include cleanliness and not making you wait hours after your appt.... Weaknesses include lack in communication. It also seemed like they were automatically asking for money for treatments when I was just wanting a plan of attack.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Strengths include cleanliness and not making you wait hours after your appt. I also appreciated Dr. Norian’s knowledge and PowerPoints. Weaknesses include lack in communication. It also seemed like they were automatically asking for money for treatments when I was just wanting a plan of attack. I know costs are involved but when my intentions were for information and different paths, the feeling of having to drop money then and there was overwhelming.
It seemed like it was all about money and it was very hard to understand his nurse when getting my HSG XRay results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC.
The nurse was SO hard to understand. I asked to speak to Dr. Nirain but she said he was too busy. I did not understand what she was telling about my HSG which was frustrating.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC?
Dr. Norian was very knowledgeable. He advised my HSG XRay which turned out to be all clear. He also did an ultrasound and everything looked good there which was a relief. I felt better about me knowing I was oooking good in all the right places to get pregnant and start a heAlthy family with my husband.
Try to only talk to Dr. Norian.
He did the ultrasound. I got the order to get the HSG. My husband needed to get tested.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC.
I don’t know off the top of my head but it was presented in a very overwhelming way.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Front desk [HRC] did not update my number in my file. I called many times to make sure but it was never done. My nurse could never call me, Pharmacy was given wrong number but thankfully my email still worked.... Weakness would be communication. When I changed my number they didn’t update everywhere. When it came time for updates after retrieval they called a disconnected number. Dr.T is great and I still think highly of him. Just this past cycle I lost a little bit of confidence.
Describe your experience with HRC.
He is very kind and gentle as a doctor and also went through IVF for his son. I knew he would be compassionate
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Jenny )
My nurse was quick to answer questions and emails. Towards the end of the cycle I felt that wasn’t the case. She would forget to do what she said she would. Make a phone call, follow up on certain things.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC?
The first time in 2013 he was godsend. Everything was just amazing. When I recently saw him this year I didn’t feel the same. I felt like everything was vague. Maybe because I already went through s cycle and he knew me he didn’t need to be more attentive as I was a returning patient.
Just make sure you are aware of everything. Ask lots of questions and he is ok with your opinions too.
First cycle I had follistim