Diana Chavkin

Westlake Village, CA 91361
West Los Angeles
11500 Olympic Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90064

I believe Dr. Wilcox is an exceptional, knowledgeable doctor with years of experience. ... We have had two failed transfers with pgs normal embryos and he only suggested one test (ERA) but does not believe in changing our protocol at all. ... I believe it is unconscionable that a doctor does not provide follow up care with failed treatments and that I had to demand follow up meetings.
I would NOT recommend HRC to any prospective patients. ... It seems they are most interested in generating profit rather than providing attentive care to people who are experiencing one of the most difficult things they can go through in their lives. ... HRC is completely overworked, overbooked, and overcrowded. ... The nurses are too busy, the doctors are busy and also too confident and cocky in their abilities ...
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
I believe Dr. Wilcox is an exceptional, knowledgeable doctor with years of experience. He has a calm, supportive and reassuring demeanor, however, he is a bit too confident in his abilities and unwilling to change or adjust his protocol. We have had two failed transfers with pgs normal embryos and he only suggested one test (ERA) but does not believe in changing our protocol at all. He also does not do follow up appointments and after two failed transfers, I had to push our clinic to demand a meeting with Dr. Wilcox. I believe it is unconscionable that a doctor does not provide follow up care with failed treatments and that I had to demand follow up meetings.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
I would not recommend HRC or Dr. Wilcox if you are seeking personalized, one-on-one care with a provider who has the time to respond to your concerns. However, if this is not a priority for you, then HRC and Dr. Wilcox are very capable and should hopefully get you success. They are not a good clinic for patients that have more difficult cases and need more specialized care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
HRC's clinic in Pasadena is completely overworked and understaffed. They have taken on too many patients, including a large number of foreign national patients. There have been many times where the waiting room is so crowded that patients have nowhere to sit. This in turn affects the level of care that the doctors and nurses provide us as patients. I have had very little interaction with Dr. Wilcox and he is so busy that he does not do follow up appointments with patients. I realize that we need to find a clinic and doctor that offers more personalized care.
Describe the protocols John Wilcox used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I did one egg retrieval with Dr. Wilcox which yielded 34 eggs, of which 28 were mature. All 28 were fertilized with ICSI and we ended up with 14 blastocysts. We sent the 14 embryos to be PGS tested and 6 came back PGS normal. He gave us a protocol of menopur and follistim and Lupron trigger. For FET #1, we did delestrogen injections every 3 days and then progesterone suppositories and sublingual progesterone 3 times a day. This resulted in a negative beta test (implantation failure) with our best PGS embryo. FET #2 I took 10mg daily of prednisone, delestrogen injections every 3 days and progesterone suppositories twice a day and progesterone injections once a day. This also resulted in a negative beta test (implantation failure) with our second best PGS embryo. Dr. Wilcox suggested ERA to determine if the timing is accurate but does not recommend any further immune testing or testing for endometritis or endometriosis. With each transfer, my lining has been perfect (10mm a week before the transfer, trilaminar stripe), my hysteroscopy showed a great uterine cavity. Dr Wilcox believes it is just a matter of time until we get pregnant and does not suggest any other testing so we will be switching doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nanette Villajoaquin)
Dr Wilcox's nursing staff is good and prompt in returning my calls and emails, however they do lack some compassion or empathy. For example, my nurse called with the negative beta results and did not say "I'm sorry" or any other words to provide comfort. I also think the nurses are completely overworked and understaffed.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC is completely overworked, overbooked, and overcrowded. It seems they are most interested in generating profit rather than providing attentive care to people who are experiencing one of the most difficult things they can go through in their lives. The nurses are too busy, the doctors are busy and also too confident and cocky in their abilities (which hasn't worked for us as we are not pregnant yet) and unwilling to change. They are more concerned with their foreign investments and their clinic is more about making a profit than providing personalized, attentive care. I would NOT recommend HRC to any prospective patients. They have good success rates but they treat you like a number. This is not worth it to me at all.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC Fertility.
We paid around $16,000 for egg retrieval, ICSI, and pgs testing on 14 embryos (including ultrasounds, blood tests, and one beta test and transfer). Our next FET cycle cost $3260 which includes a Kaiser discount. The medications were extra and varied in price.
Describe John Wilcox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I did not have any mismanagement of my case (e.g. protocol, medications, etc) but I was generally unhappy with how impersonal our care was. After one failed transfer, we did not get a follow up appointment with our doctor nor were we counseled on why things possibly failed and what we could do for our next transfer. There was also an assumption that we had unlimited funds to do all types of procedures that we could not afford. We were not explained WHY we were given certain medications over others, which comes back to a lack of personalized care and one-on-one interaction with our doctor.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
We were NEVER told that my AMH was under 1 when we began trying to get pregnant. ... Dr. Nelson wanted to start with bloodwork and diagnostics to make sure that my body was functioning properly. He suggested we start with an ICI, which was very conservative and in hindsight, we have no idea why he would start there if he knew that my AMH was below 1. ... 2 years and over $50,000 have been spent without us knowing the proper information.
Strengths: the office [HRC Pasadena] is beautiful, the parking is free and it is convenient for people living in Pasadena. Weakness: there is awful communication and you are expected to know about fertility treatments at your consultation as a new patient. ... $3500-$4000 each round of IUI. ... We felt like a number because we had very little knowledge of the process in the beginning ... the nurse practitioner, who you've only met for 5 seconds blurts out, you should just go to IVF, it dehumanizes you and makes you feel like a failure and you are out of options.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
We didn't know much about fertility treatment when we began our fertility journey. Upon consultation, we were told that we should have started our treatment years ago, which was discouraging considering we had just gotten married and there was nothing we could do about that. We began with all diagnostics to make sure that everything in my body was working as it should, which was Dr. Nelson's suggestion. We were never told that anything wasn't "good." HRC Pasadena in general had many miscommunications and directions given to us that were not clear, from both the medical assistant assigned to our case to the financial coordinator. As we began our treatments with Dr. Nelson, which was close to our home and convenient, he began conservatively. We appreciated this because I came in believing, and was under the impression even after all the labs, that I was fertile Myrtle. We were NEVER told that my AMH was under 1 when we began trying to get pregnant. It wasn't until we were out of funds in 2017 where we were just paying our OBGYN to do IUIs that we consulted with another fertility doctor who went over our labs from 2015 and said that she would have started with IVF immediately back in 2015 to retrieve the eggs I had! I have been so so so so so disappointed in the fact that 2 years and over $50,000 have been spent without us knowing the proper information. We have taken time off to build up our financials so we can try retrievals once again AND here we are in 2019 now with nothing. I'm SO angry, upset, resentful and frustrated that my bloodwork and personal lab results were withheld and not given to me clearly in 2015 when I was 34 as they would have changed our plan and how we proceed. I also know now that if someone says something to you like, "you should have started your fertility journey years ago," they are NOT the person you should trust to guide you on your way to making a baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
Don't expect a physician to objectively explain your lab work or the process. Get educated and ask for all of your information and labs to be printed for you so you can get educated on your own.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
We felt like a number because we had very little knowledge of the process in the beginning and we trusted Dr. Nelson. During the first minute of our consult he said we were already behind because of our age. If he thought that we were so far behind, why did he start so conservatively? When you've experienced your 4th failed attempt at IUI and the nurse practitioner, who you've only met for 5 seconds blurts out, you should just go to IVF, it dehumanizes you and makes you feel like a failure and you are out of options.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Nelson used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Nelson wanted to start with bloodwork and diagnostics to make sure that my body was functioning properly. He suggested we start with an ICI, which was very conservative and in hindsight, we have no idea why he would start there if he knew that my AMH was below 1. We asked about using Clomid, which he didn't offer immediately. Going into our first insemination, we did use Clomid, per our own request, and we did request an IUI. After the first insemination, he thought the Clomid was pointless and he didn't suggest any other meds except the HCG trigger shot. We continued with 3 more IUIs using HCG trigger shots, none of them resulting in pregnancy. It was after our 4th insemination that the nurse practitioner, who we'd just met, said, "you should just do IVF." At that point we were done with this office and never received a call or follow up from Dr. Nelson.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Justina Wang)
Justina had a heavy accent, which made communicating about things which require so much detail, like giving yourself injections on specific days very challenging. We had NEVER gone through any form of fertility treatment before and this information was not given to us like we should know the process and what to do.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
It a pretty clinic, which was very misleading because the facade of looking good didn't match the behind the scenes medical experience. Strengths: the office is beautiful, the parking is free and it is convenient for people living in Pasadena. Weakness: there is awful communication and you are expected to know about fertility treatments at your consultation as a new patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility.
Each time we did a round of IUI, it was $2000 for the procedure + the cost of meds + the cost of sperm = $3500-$4000 each round of IUI.
Describe Jeffrey Nelson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
We never go to this point with Dr. Nelson.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Overall we are very disappointed with our care from this facility and cannot believe we wasted 3 years of prime fertility time on a clinic that took our money for conservative treatments with no results to show, knowing that my AMH was under 1. It wasn't until 2018, when we had finally saved up enough money to go to consultations once again that we were told by two new fertility doctors that we should have started with aggressive fertility treatments immediately in 2015 with the AMH level they saw us on our lab work from HRC Pasadena in 2015. Physicians from both consultations independently stated that ICIs and IUIs most likely would have never been successful with an AMH below 1 and they would have started with more aggressive treatments.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
The protocol we were on didn't feel specific to my body and she [Dr. Peck] often seemed unsure of what to do. Anything and everything that COULD work she would throw at us, ranging from a mock cycle to an intralipid infusion...she would often appear angry or annoyed if we asked too many questions....I truly felt like I was being experimented on there. I'm not convinced she is up to date on the latest research and I'm not even sure she cares too much about results outside of how it might affect her numbers...
How was your experience with Alison Peck at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Peck seems like a really nice person and I'd trust her with our child. But I wouldn't trust her to create one. I truly felt like I was being experimented on there. I'm not convinced she is up to date on the latest research and I'm not even sure she cares too much about results outside of how it might affect her numbers. My experience at my next fertility clinic with our next doctor was like night and day.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Peck at HRC Fertility?
Her bedside manner isn't great, which would be totally fine if her results were. Unfortunately that wasn't the case in our situation. We felt like so much time and money was wasted with her conservative approach, not to mention how much my body went through unnecessarily. Do your research and don't just talk to a friend who had success with her. See what the experience has been like for patients overall.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Peck at HRC Fertility?
The protocol we were on didn't feel specific to my body and she often seemed unsure of what to do. Anything and everything that COULD work she would throw at us, ranging from a mock cycle to an intralipid infusion. When we had difficult results, a nurse would call instead of her, and she would often appear angry or annoyed if we asked too many questions.
Describe the protocols Alison Peck used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
The first round of egg retrievals/embryo creation, we wound up with zero healthy embryos. Yet not much was changed for round two (which resulted in 2 healthy ones, but neither transfer worked). And I know now from my experience at the next clinic that she was overmedicating me. She also didn't monitor me at all once I started injections for the transfer, whereas at my next clinic, the doctor had me come in so he could adjust the medication if necessary. She seemed utterly baffled why I wasn't getting pregnant, and threw a lot at the wall to see what would stick as a result (acupuncture day of transfer, intrillipid inufusion day of transfer, mock cycles to improve results, etc.). Nothing worked and everything was more costly and took more time. She'll tell you that she said we didn't need to do any of those things, but when a doctor tells you that something COULD work, you are so desperate and don't want any regrets that you'll try anything. But I want a doctor who KNOWS what will likely work. Not someone who is guessing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica, Chrystie, and one I can't remember who isn't there anymore)
We had 3 nurses throughout our year and a half at HRC, which is part of the problem. The turnover rate there is very frequent. So just when we would get used to one, someone else would take over. The first and last were truly wonderful. The one in the middle made me stressed and angry during a process when I should be as relaxed as possible. I'm guessing she was fired because others felt similarly.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
There is too much turnover there. Just when you start to connect with someone, they leave. Overall I was not impressed. Two of the nurses assigned to our doctor were really wonderful, but a big part of feeling grateful for their warmth and compassion is that our doctor seemed to lack it.
Describe Alison Peck's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
It was never discussed in detail but she did eSET on us both times. I have no objections to that. She did a multiple embryo transfer for our friends who ended up having twins. I'm sure either could work.
Alison Peck

2021, Unsuccessful
Our initial consult was only about 20 minutes long as Dr. T went through a list of standard things. I wish there was more testing and analysis done on why we were considered "unexplained" before jumping straight to IVF...I don't feel like Dr. T went above and beyond to treat me as a unique case...the next course of action was vague and was simply a small tweak to the current plan (let's just add omnitrope)
I don't believe this [HRC Fertility - Encino] clinic is up to date on the latest research. I would push your doctor/clinic to do additional testing, and I wish I was proactive and had armed myself with more research. Example: my husband's sperm analysis was deemed "borderline problematic" at HRC, but when showcasing these same results to another doctor at another clinic, they mentioned that the reference and evaluation criteria used are very old.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
At the time of seeing Dr. T, I was satisfied with every visit and knew what my next steps were. However, now that I've seen 2 other doctors since Dr. T, I've changed my mind as I am now able to compare and contrast the differences. My first IVF round was unsuccessful. We retrieved a good number of eggs, but only a few were mature, and of them, none of them fertilized. It was devastating, especially without previous context and knowledge that this can even be a possibility for me. During the follow up call with Dr. T, I did not feel there was an explanation for what happened, and the next course of action was vague and was simply a small tweak to the current plan (let's just add omnitrope). I was also told I simply have terrible egg quality and to look into Eastern medicine, and we'll reconvene in 3 months. Dr. T did not suggest any further testing to see if there may be other underlying issues. I went and got a second opinion, and that's when the new doctor suspected endometriosis, which was verified by an endometrioma in one of my ovaries. I don't feel like Dr. T went above and beyond to treat me as a unique case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
I would push for more testing and to ask the tough questions (e.g. why this treatment protocol, why not this one, what happened when something unexpected occurred, etc.).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
HRC and Dr. Tourgeman was the first clinic that I went to (I'm currently at my third). In retrospect, I started this process quite naive, and thought IVF was a guarantee success. Our initial consult was only about 20 minutes long as Dr. T went through a list of standard things. I wish there was more testing and analysis done on why we were considered "unexplained" before jumping straight to IVF.
Describe the protocols David Tourgeman used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
We used a standard antagonist protocol (Gonal F & Menopur, followed by Cetrotide and trigger shot). Rationale for using this protocol: I was diagnosed by Dr. T as "unexplained," so I believe that is why he prescribed a standard typical protocol. Results: approx. a dozen eggs were retrieved, only a few were mature, and none fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mei)
My nurse was approachable and easy to communicate with. However, I was not given an overall timeline for the treatment when asked. I understand there must be flexibility and things are not set in stone in IVF, but even a rough timeline would be helpful.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I don't believe this clinic is up to date on the latest research. I would push your doctor/clinic to do additional testing, and I wish I was proactive and had armed myself with more research. Example: my husband's sperm analysis was deemed "borderline problematic" at HRC, but when showcasing these same results to another doctor at another clinic, they mentioned that the reference and evaluation criteria used are very old.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility.
N/A - treatment was under insurance
David Tourgeman

2020, Unsuccessful
The doctor’s [Dr. Wilcox] approach is a one size fits all method. Throughout the 3 rounds of IVF, he did not bother changing the medication for any of those rounds. Even after 2 of the cycles resulted in identical failed outcomes that followed the same recipe, he chose to only slightly change the dosage on one of the medications...Throughout the treatment, he was dismissive of my questions and continued to use statistics to justify his dismissive attitude...
The staff [at HRC Fertility] was friendly and helpful. However, it was apparent that they were understaffed. There were a few times where I was left in a waiting room (or left in the hallway) after an exam for awhile before a nurse came to meet with me...During one IVF round, the nurse did not order one of my medications in time and I actually ran out of it...The billing department lost records of previous invoices....
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Summary: I would NOT recommend going to Dr Wilcox at HRC for your fertility treatment, as I had a disappointing and demoralizing experience with him. Note: This review is solely for Dr John Wilcox and does not reflect the other doctors at the HRC Fertility clinic. Background: I had 3 unsuccessful rounds of IVF (2 that went through an egg retrieval and 1 that did not even make it that far). I waited a year to write this review because I wanted to be absolutely sure that the disappointing experience was valid and not marred from the failed results. I wanted to wait and compare the behavior with my other doctor to be absolutely sure that this wasn’t behavior that was common or considered normal. I can assure you that it is not. I ended up going to another clinic, and am now pregnant. I just wish I didn’t have to go through the painful journey with Dr Wilcox beforehand. I hope this feedback will help others avoid my mistake, and save themselves heartache and a huge financial loss. Problem #1: One size fits all approach The doctor’s approach is a one size fits all method. Throughout the 3 rounds of IVF, he did not bother changing the medication for any of those rounds. Even after 2 of the cycles resulted in identical failed outcomes that followed the same recipe, he chose to only slightly change the dosage on one of the medications. I also asked him about changing the medication, which he dismissed and chose to stick to his [continued unsuccessful] method. By the way, the 2nd round didn’t even make it to the egg retrieval stage. One example of the unchanging and failed recipe: Dr Wilcox had me start every cycle with 2 weeks on birth control. Come to find (per my new doctor at a different fertility clinic) that birth control can actually slow down the growth of follicles too much for those who are sensitive to birth control AND that the birth control method is actually for the benefit of the doctor not the patient. It allows the doctor to control the timing of a woman’s cycle, rather than follow the natural cycle. (Dr Wilcox never explained this to me, btw) Problem #2: Poor bedside manner Throughout the treatment, the doctor was dismissive of my questions and continued to use statistics to justify his dismissive attitude. (I.e., when I asked him why the medications were not changed after the first and second failed attempt, he told me that his approach works for the ‘majority’ of his clients and if it failed for me then that must mean statistically I do not have a good chance of getting pregnant anyways.) His stance was that since my results were not successful based on his [one size fits all] treatment, the odds of me getting pregnant were slim to none. He told me straight up that I had <1% of getting pregnant by the 2nd cycle. He also mentioned to me after my first round, that HRC’s policy was to only allow 3 rounds per person before they stop treatment. (They would only continue treatment if the person opts for a donor egg.) Problem #3: Understaffed The staff was friendly and helpful. However, it was apparent that they were understaffed. There were a few times where I was left in a waiting room (or left in the hallway) after an exam for awhile before a nurse came to meet with me. During one IVF round, the nurse did not order one of my medications in time and I actually ran out of it. When I let the staff know that I ran out and I needed to get a refill ASAP, Dr Wilcox emailed me and said that it was ok that I skip a few days because it doesn’t really make much of a difference. Nice to know that they prescribed me medication (that was quite expensive) that ‘didn’t do much’. Problem #4: Runs like a business The office is really nice and comfortable. The waiting lounge feels spa-like and I know they recently moved into a new space since I left. HRC looks like a very profitable business, and Dr Wilcox manages that business very well. Throughout my IVF experience with him, I felt like he was handling my fertility treatment very much like a business. With the one size fits all treatment, the policy of no more than 3 rounds, and immediate referral to egg donor after the first round, I felt like he was churning me through the fertility factory and trying to get me out as soon as possible so the next customer can get in line. In my final IVF round with HRC, he confirmed that I only had one follicle that was mature enough to retrieve. (Yes, only ONE) He told me to go ahead with the egg retrieval surgery anyways. For those of you who are not familiar with that procedure, the patient undergoes general anesthesia and the procedure is invasive. Dr Wilcox had me go through that procedure for ONE follicle, which has a very low chance of success. I didn’t realize how unethical it was for him to do that, until I went to the new clinic and the multiple doctors there said that they would never recommend a patient to go through a retrieval with only one follicle. This just further confirmed that he does not treat patients like human beings. Conclusion: If you are looking to get fertility treatment, please go to another doctor. You will not get the experience you need nor deserve with Dr Wilcox. Luckily for me, my insurance covered majority of my treatments so I was financially able to continue with another doctor and now I am pregnant. However, I know for a fact that if I didn’t have insurance, I would have spent my savings on this horrendous experience.
Go to another doctor. If you've already committed, then do A LOT of research on your own. I would ask about alternative medication (especially to the birth control pills they prescribe) and alternative hormone medication. There are hormone medications that are covered by insurance and ones that are not. Ask your insurance and TELL (don't ask) him that is what you need.
Throughout my IVF experience with Dr Wilcox, I felt like he was handling my fertility treatment very much like a business. With the one size fits all treatment, the policy of no more than 3 rounds, and immediate referral to egg donor after the first round, I felt that he was churning me through the fertility factory and trying get me out as soon as possible, so the next customer can get in line. Throughout the treatment, he was dismissive of my questions and continued to use statistics to justify his dismissive attitude. (I.e., when I asked him why the medications were not changed after the first and second failed attempt, he told me that his approach works for the ‘majority’ of his clients and if it failed for me then that must mean statistically I do not have a good chance of getting pregnant anyways.)
Round 1: I started with birth control pill for 7 days. Then they had me take [daily] 25ml of Omnitrope injections, 300 IU of Gonal injections for first couple of days, then increased dosage to 450 IU, and Clomid pills for about a week and a half. Gonal dosage increased because the follicles were not growing quickly enough. (The # of days of hormone treatment also differed slightly for each round depending on the follicle growth each time.) Dr Wilcox was waiting until the follicles reached an average of 20-23 mm. I used Pregnyl as the trigger shot 2 days before the egg retrieval. Results were one egg retrieved with failed fertilization even though they were monitoring 3 eggs. Round 2: Same birth control for 7 days. Then 25ml of Omnitrope injections, 450 IU of Gonal injections and Clomid pills for only 4 days because my follicles were growing unevenly so they stopped treatment mid-way. Result: No egg retrieval. Round 3: Same birth control for 7 days. Then 25ml of Omnitrope, 450 IU of Gonal for first 4 days then increased to 525 IU, and Clomid. Again, the follicle were not growing quickly enough. Pregnyl for trigger then retrieval. Doctor continued to try to hit the 20-23 mm follicle size. Results: Retrieved one egg (doctor knew there was only one egg). Egg degenerated a couple of days after retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Gladdys D. Caspellan)
The staff was friendly and helpful. However, it was apparent that they were understaffed. There were a few times where I was left in a waiting room (or left in the hallway) after an exam for awhile before a nurse came to meet with me. During one (of 3) of the IVF rounds, the nurse did not order one of my medications (omnitrope) in time and I actually ran out of it in the middle of treatment. When I let the staff know that I needed to get a refill ASAP, Dr Wilcox emailed me and said that it was ok that I skip a few days because it did not really make much of a difference. Nice to know that they prescribed me medication (that was quite expensive) that ‘didn’t do much’. My coordinator was sweet but she was not very responsive. She called me a couple of times in the beginning of my first round but then I never really heard from her afterwards. I mostly spoke or emailed with the nurses directly. And when I had billing questions, I had to work directly with the billing department.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Strengths: The nurses who took my blood sample during every visit were pros at it. Seemingly painless and minimal bruising. Weaknesses: Clinic was super busy with understaffed nurses. Don't except to get a lot of attention here.
Thankfully, my insurance covered most of the services. There were a few medications that my insurance did not cover, like Omnitrope and Pregnyl.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
During one IVF round, the nurse did not order one of my medications in time and I actually ran out of it. When I let the staff know that I ran out and I needed to get a refill ASAP, Dr Wilcox emailed me and said that it was ok that I skip a few days because it doesn’t really make much of a difference. The billing department lost records of previous invoices. I got an invoice recently (in 2021) for services in 2020. Unfortunately, my FSA does not cover services from prior years so I had to pay out of pocket. They also double billed my insurance for the same services in 2020. Thankfully I researched each service (and kept track of them in my own excel spreadsheet) so I noticed it right away. The billing dept actually admitted that the prior team that handled the bills lost paperwork.
Pasadena

Their [HRC Fertility] encrypted message system had problems. It only worked for certain employees, it was frustrating extra work getting medical records and lab results to them initially...I do feel like she [nurse] cared about me. She found me on my lining check day to wish me luck and give me a hug. She also e-mailed me about my negative beta, and responded with empathy
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Simply put, we paid Dr. Frederick $41,631.68 for 10 dead embryos. We'd had prior success with Dr. Nelson at HRC Pasadena, which I will review separately. We switched to Dr. Frederick in OC because it was a far distance to the Pasadena office where Dr. Nelson is. When we had our initial consultation with her, we told her that this would be our last try, and asked her if she recommended that we use donor eggs. She said that she didn't think it was necessary, and recommended trying with my own eggs. She insisted that we do PGS, which we did not agree with, and I've previously stated. We considered going back to Dr. Nelson, but decided to go forward with the treatment with her. At my saline sonogram, a 2 cm intermural fibroid was identified by the tech. She stated that she wanted to do a freeze all cycle for PGS, so she would address the fibroid via hysteroscopy after "the harvest." This essentially took any fresh transfer of untested embryos off the table for us and limited our options to those that she'd already chosen for us. She recommended ICSI due to my husband's age, even though his SA came back good. IVF #1- Antagonist protocol- Follistim 450, Menopur 75, Ganrelix 250x2, and Doxycycline. 7 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 2 biopsied and frozen for PGS. I asked to be informed about how many embryos that I still had on day 5 before they took a biopsy because if it was fewer than 4, it would not be a cost effective choice, I would just transfer all embryos. I was refused that information about my own embryos by Dr. Frederick. She would not give the report until after the biopsy. She is completely inethical. At that point, I could refuse PGS, but my embryos were already damaged and the cells already taken. Since I only had 2 embryos to PGS test, Dr. Frederick recommended we do another retrieval cycle and send the additional embryos together to be PGS tested at once. Since we wanted to maximize our chances, and we felt that the PGS testing fee was so high that we needed to check more embryos, we agreed to do another IVF retrieval. IVF#2- Lupron microdose Flare 40mcg/0.2mcg with Omnitrope 5.8 units, Follistim 450, Ovidrel 250x2. 8 retrieved, 6 fertilized, 2 sent to PGS. PGS results: one normal female three abnormal males. The normal embryo was from the first retrieval. Hysteroscopy: She determined that she had no need to remove my intermural fibroid, but advocated timely transfer in case it became large enough to affect implantation. She repeated over and over. "You only have one embryo", even on my transfer day. And yet, she did not recommend an ERA, even when I asked her, she said that she didn't think I'd need one. Transfer. I was unhappy with the scarcity of labs done for my transfer. Progesterone was not checked at baseline, only estrogen, and again at my lining check, only estrogen. She was not specific about the timing of starting the progesterone in oil, or the timing of when I would do my shot. I know that this timing and level is important for uterine receptivity. I felt like she had my money and she was going to do as little monitoring as possible for it. Since the FET failed, she could blame my body for it. My lining was an 8 at lining check. When I voiced my concerns that it was too thin, she pushed my concerns aside. On day 4 post transfer I found my embryo in my underwear and my beta was less than 2. At my post appointment she was ready to take more money- to do more cycles with us, or do donor eggs or donor embryos. I told her, "We are done." She failed. I also mentioned donor cycles in CZ, and that seemed to hit a button with her. She said, "We don't know how those people are screened." We are now facing the emotional and financial loss. Even if we did have the resources to continue, it would not be with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Find someone else. Anyone else would probably be better.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Frederick heard me, but she didn't listen. We had no say in the trajectory of our treatment. For example, when we told her that we did not want to do PGS because we felt that it is morally wrong for us, she did not respond, but later had her assistant tell us that she would not give us treatment if we did not do it. We also had to agree to allow the clinic to destroy our abnormal embryos in order to do the PGS that we did not want to do. Besides just being a number, she took away our rights over our own embryos. It was also very difficult to get information about what sort of chances that the treatment would have from her or why she was recommending the protocols that she was recommending, for example, why an 8mm lining was acceptable for transfer to her.
Describe the protocols Jane Frederick used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I mentioned this already, but the reason that she said that she wanted to change protocols is that she was hoping that the Lupron flare would yield more embryos. Unfortunately, we had the same amount, and the 2 from that cycle were PGS abnormal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle and Liz)
Liz was nice, although she was the voice of Dr. Frederick in most cases, and I do feel like she cared about me. She found me on my lining check day to wish me luck and give me a hug. She also e-mailed me about my negative beta, and responded with empathy. Michelle was disorganized and did a rather poor job of delivering the bad news of my negative beta. Her FET med protocol sheet was confusing to follow. because of the way it was formatted, I misunderstood the instructions missed the first 3 days of Estrodial. When I realized what had happened, I contacted her, and she reached out to Dr. Frederick, who said, just follow the instructions as of today, and don't try to make up the missed doses. When she gave me the bad news, I can't say specifically what she did wrong, but just that she really didn't seem to know what to say. No empathy. She passed me off to Erika via e-mail to schedule my follow up appointment, and Erika didn't respond. So, I had to wait about a week without an idea of when my closure would come. It took an email to all of them stating that I was unhappy with the way that it was handled for Erika to follow through. Also, many of the phlebotomists at this location seem inexperienced. At many of my labs blood draws, many of them poked me more than once to get a vein. One phlebotomist poked me three times trying to find my vein and I became dizzy, and started to pass out twice. Another phlebotomist had to step in after I'd had juice and sat with my head below heart level.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC Newport (OC) has relatively good SART scores. That was one of the reasons, besides the close to home location that made me choose it. If you are a glutton for financial and emotional punishment, having your concerns ignored, and being batched out on birth control pill with many other patients, then this is where you need to go.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility.
$41,631.68 out of pocket
Describe Jane Frederick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
She repeated "you only have one embryo to transfer". How negative.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Their encrypted message system had problems. It only worked for certain employees, it was frustrating extra work getting medical records and lab results to them initially. Daisy the onboarding coordinator kept referring me to Liz to get medical records to the office, and Liz wasn't responding. We paid $18,000 cash out of pocket for my first retrieval over the phone ahead of time and they asked for $18,000 again when I went in for the baseline. Jessica in the financial department had made a clerical error and the payment was missing. There are more things that went wrong. I was understanding and assertive about it, and approached the staff with kindness and a sense of humor to make working together go smoother.
Jane Frederick
Newport Beach

Was told that if I didn't pay...$2000 out-of-pocket for genetic testing, Dr. Potter would want to transfer multiple embryos as "part of his standard protocol"....When I asked why I wasn't given Lupron in the luteal phase, to prevent early follicle recruitment, was told "that's not the doctor's standard protocol." So, I lost my chance at a fresh transfer cycle. When my 2nd cycle was canceled for lining thickness, I asked why I went a whole 2nd week on estrogen when my lining was already a good thickness at day 7 monitoring appointment. Again, I was told that it's Dr. Potter's standard protocol to do at least 14 days of estrogen.
2 cycles canceled [at HRC] due to being put on "standard protocol" and not accounting for age / typical cycle data, and more-or-less ignoring the evolved industry best practices (i.e., recommending multiple embryo transfer, 14+ days of estrogen exposure prior to progesterone). Also, tried to do some wonky thing where, even though I'd already paid a flat fee (Shared Hope cycle) that covered my portion of the donor's medications, the clinic attempted to charge the full donor medication prescriptions to my insurance.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
If you want a laissez faire experience, Dr. Potter is great. You have 1 initial consult with him and never hear from him directly again - not even after 2 failed transfer cycles. He asked me a couple of questions, asked me what questions I had for him, and then told my nurse the next day what additional tests he wanted from me: Vitamin D and prolactin, mammogram, etc. I suppose that's more efficient, but it's better to talk to your patient about why you want those tests done. I went and had labs drawn as requested, but I was taking 5000 IUs of Vitamin D, and had told someone on his staff before - thus, it was in my chart.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Talk to your patients. Customize treatments to get the best results. When you're dealing with donor eggs, understand the bulk of your clientele aren't young. Consider that when conceiving of your new standard protocols. Consider industry best practice (elective single embryo transfers) before handing out orders through your nurses. 2 embryos just has a greater chance of multiple births, it's no longer considered an industry best practice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
2 failed cycle attempts so far. Both were avoidable. When I asked why I wasn't given Lupron in the luteal phase, to prevent early follicle recruitment, was told "that's not the doctor's standard protocol." So, I lost my chance at a fresh transfer cycle. When my 2nd cycle was canceled for lining thickness, I asked why I went a whole 2nd week on estrogen when my lining was already a good thickness at day 7 monitoring appointment. Again, I was told that it's Dr. Potter's standard protocol to do at least 14 days of estrogen. So far, the "standard protocols" aren't working for me. And some of the standard protocols explained ahead of time - like 2 embryos transferred when no genetic testing is done - aren't even industry best practice any more. Case studies indicate that live birth rates plateau once a patient has at least 9 days of exposure to estrogen; birth rates begin to decline at 13+ days. 3 days of bed rest after transfer is also his standard protocol, and a practice no longer recommended. He just seems out of date and not willing to change or consider other courses of treatment. I really don't understand the point of monitoring at all if my treatment plan wouldn't be adjusted based on how my body is reacting to the medications.
Describe the protocols Daniel Potter used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
20cc of lupron starting on Day 3 of birth control pills. Early follicle recruitment, failed. 20cc of lupron starting after confirmed ovulation; Cut down to 10cc on day 10 Day 10, start estradiol valorate .2cc every 3 days Result: uterine lining too thick on day 14 to see feathering effect. cycle canceled. 10 days of progesterone to "reboot".
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie was very kind, compassionate and usually available. I would have to ask multiple times for basic things like schedules, monitoring orders (out of state monitoring patient). Would leave VM and have to follow up with her via email.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Nice facility in a great location. Will work with outside monitoring facilities for out of state patients. Seem a bit disconnected from a financial aspect; requires full cycle payment (FET) up front, despite benefits / insurance coverage. Financial people don't communicate well and were lousy at being able to check my insurance benefits - told me I had no coverage when I knew I did. Just constantly had to micromanage them despite my desire for them to be more proactive about my care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility.
$6500 for embryo transfer cycle - had to pay all up front, regardless of in-network insurance benefits.
Describe Daniel Potter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Was told that if I didn't pay &gt;$2000 out-of-pocket for genetic testing, Dr. Potter would want to transfer multiple embryos as "part of his standard protocol". I said no.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I would have to ask 2-3 times for orders to be faxed / sent, would have to ask multiple times for dosage schedules, often receiving the day I was to start medication A or B. I went to a monitoring appointment (outside monitoring for out of state patient) and despite having been told the order had been sent the previous Thursday (it was Wednesday almost a week later), I showed up to find out the orders hadn't been received. With the time difference, we just had to follow the prior order(s) - from the previous, failed cycle. 2 cycles canceled due to being put on "standard protocol" and not accounting for age / typical cycle data, and more-or-less ignoring the evolved industry best practices (i.e., recommending multiple embryo transfer, 14+ days of estrogen exposure prior to progesterone). Also, tried to do some wonky thing where, even though I'd already paid a flat fee (Shared Hope cycle) that covered my portion of the donor's medications, the clinic attempted to charge the full donor medication prescriptions to my insurance.
Newport Beach

He [Dr. Coffler] has his one protocol that he uses for everyone (microdose lupron) even though that is only indicated for poor responders. I received my protocol and questioned it once I began researching what it was. When I tried to get him on the phone to discuss...He said this protocol is just what they use to get good results for everyone...We got fewer eggs than my antral follicle count. This protocol wasn’t great for me. We only got 1 PGS normal embryo that was mediocre quality.
Angel is the IVF coordinator for HRC Oceanside. She is kind and does what she can to help the patients through their questions and requests. She was great training us on all of our injections. However, clinic policies hinder information flow and make it frustrating to ask questions and then not receive information...My prescriptions for IVF weren’t called into the pharmacy until the day I showed up for baseline and they realized they hadn’t been ordered. I was supposed to pick them up that day. Instead I had to drive 45 minutes to the clinic again the next day to get them and started the injections later in the day than I was supposed to.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Coffler does not seem like he is open to the newest research or to customizing his protocols for each patient. He is very kind and optimistic (overly so), but he does not want to be questioned about the protocol even when the research did not indicate it as right for me. He has his one protocol that he uses for everyone (microdose lupron) even though that is only indicated for poor responders. I received my protocol and questioned it once I began researching what it was. When I tried to get him on the phone to discuss, the front desk kept saying they might charge me over a hundred dollars for a phone consultation. In the end they did not charge me and I only took 5 minutes of his time. He said this protocol is just what they use to get good results for everyone. I trusted in the CDC statistics and didn’t question it further, but it didn’t work well for us in the end.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Don’t see Dr. Coffler. Aside from the problems I had with him as a Dr., the clinic is horrible to deal with in many ways and you can’t see him without dealing with HRC policies.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Dr Coffler and his team did treat me like a human. Angel, the NP IVF coordinator in particular was very helpful and explained how to do all our injections kindly. Dr. Coffler was always kind.
Describe the protocols Mickey Coffler used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Microdose lupron protocol, with birth control pill priming in order to schedule all the patients for certain retrieval dates per month. They put everyone on birth control for scheduling, but it turns out this can suppress the number of follicles that respond and you can get fewer eggs than you might without birth control pills. We got fewer eggs than my antral follicle count. This protocol wasn’t great for me. We only got 1 PGS normal embryo that was mediocre quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Angel Calfee)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC has several policies that I only learned about as we were going through IVF that really bothered me: 1) You have to decide whether you will pay some $5500 lump sum for PGS testing of embryos before you even know how many embryos have made it to biopsy. The cost does not change no matter how many embryos you have, so you could be paying that much for 1 embryo. 2) The clinic is not open on weekends. This is a BIG PROBLEM. This prevents you from having sufficient monitoring during egg retrieval cycles and the drug dosage can’t be adjusted as finely. You also can’t get questions answered on the weekend. There is no access to Dr. Coffler for questions. 3) The clinic batches all patients for particular retrieval dates each month so you have to take birth control pills. These can suppress the number of eggs you are able to retrieve and reduce your chances of success. 4) Once your embryos are created, getting information about them is a black box. Other clinics allow you to speak to people in the embryology lab. At HRC, there is NO access to anyone at the embryology lab. You can only receive information from Angel and she is not able to convey the kind of information that an embryologist would have. Also, they do not give Day 3 updates about the progress of the embryos. At the end, I was only able to get all of the information about my embryos be requesting my full medical record and calling the PGS lab. I never received a full PGS report about my embryos besides “complex abnormal”, whereas other PGS labs will give a breakdown of the chromosome errors. I did get this over the phone but it was hard to take down and I don’t know if I got it right. They do it this way because HRC uses its own in-house PGS Lab rather than one of the bigger commercial labs. They pocket all the profits at every stage and provide subpar service which is not up to the standards of other commercial options. It would be fine if they gave you the information and service others provide (since you’re paying just as much), but they don’t.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility.
Total cycle cost was just over $17k not including medication, but including $5050 lump sum for PGS testing. I spent just under $2k on medications ordered from overseas.
Describe Mickey Coffler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Dr. Coffler only transfers 1 embryo except in select circumstance which have to be justified, like older patients with poor quality embryos.
Mickey Coffler
Oceanside

2019, Consult
He [Dr. Potter] was crass and said comments that disturbed us.He didn't look us in the eye. He didn't know anything about us or take the time to try. ... He was so rude to us. ... He tried to charge us almost 4 times what the average cost of a cash test was at all the other clinics ($1900 for a hysteroscopy vs $500 at most OC clinics). ... Look elsewhere. There are more compassionate doctors who won't make you feel like a slug on the ground.
You will be a number in a revolving door. We got to our appointment 20 minutes early with everything filled out and still didn't get called until an hour after our appointment time. We didn't feel that we were anything but a number and checkbook to them [HRC]. ... Our biggest issue was the billing. We could never get our insurance covered when I talked to them multiple times. I had to send in my authorization of services 3 times.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
My husband and I agree we would never go back there even if he was the only doctor covered by our insurance. Which we were told he was. He was so rude to us. Then his office tells us that the $10000 worth of tests he ordered would be cash payment when we have insurance coverage. But they couldn't figure that out over 4 months so even though I called and emailed dozens of times I never got to move forward. He tried to charge us almost 4 times what the average cost of a cash test was at all the other clinics ($1900 for a hysteroscopy vs $500 at most OC clinics). I do not, can not, and will not ever recommend him or his clinic. Save your money, energy and emotional stability and go elsewhere.
He was crass and said comments that disturbed us.He didn't look us in the eye. He didn't know anything about us or take the time to try. His office would never get back to us with questions.
We didn't get this far because even though we had an approved referral for a service he wouldn't bill our insurance and said we had to pay cash. But every time I talked to insurance or my healthcare group they said he was covered and our only option.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
Our nurse was super nice and we felt really comfortable with her but once the billing issues started I never heard from her again. Called and emailed with no response.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
You will be a number in a revolving door. We got to our appointment 20 minutes early with everything filled out and still didn't get called until an hour after our appointment time. We didn't feel that we were anything but a number and checkbook to them.
Extremely high. Yes infertility treatments are expensive but even my obgyn seemed to think it was astronomical so I called other clinics in the area. When I told them the price I was quoted they said to run away from there because that was robbery.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Our biggest issue was the billing. We could never get our insurance covered when I talked to them multiple times. I had to send in my authorization of services 3 times. I finally was working with my obgyn to get a new referral to another doctor and the referral department called and asked if I even saw Dr. Potter because they had never received any documentation from his office.
Fullerton

[Protocol from Dr. Feinman included] Menopur in the hope that I could do timed intercourse, for a period of 6 months, to see if I could fall pregnant without the need for an IUI or IVF procedure...Didn't understand my personal situation and nor did he bother to check for himself...didn't think to test me himself to verify my case or situation. His reasoning was that he was trying to save me money, however he put me on a protocol which was very promising but completely unrealistic, causing me to spend $5000 on medication that just compromised my health and served no purpose. He then measured my FSH levels after taking copious amounts of Menopur which is es
[The nurse at HRC was] Pleasant enough, though a little short with her email responses. We didn't interact all that much, other than for bloodwork which was fine. Her response time was a little delayed...errors forgetting to charge for things, then charging at a later date... place wasn't welcoming or inviting. All things that really matter when you are doing a procedure of this kind...$1,210.00 for Blood-Work and Ultrasound as we were aiming for Fertility Medication and timed intercourse.
How was your experience with Michael Feinman at HRC Fertility?
He took my word as gospel and didn't think to test me himself to verify my case or situation. His reasoning was that he was trying to save me money, however he put me on a protocol which was very promising but completely unrealistic, causing me to spend $5000 on medication that just compromised my health and served no purpose. He then measured my FSH levels after taking copious amounts of Menopur which is essentially FSH, and proceeded to tell me my FSH was too high and that we had to stop the whole process. He said I would need an egg donor and that his wife who worked at an agency could help me. I was in tears and it emotionally has scarred me. When I relayed what the doctor told me to my husband, my husband asked to speak to him over the phone. The doctor then proceeded to tell my husband, that perhaps measuring my FSH levels after taking Menopur wasn't the most accurate indicator after all, but that he "Suspected" they wouldn't change much. However, when my new doctor after him measured my levels of FSH, it showed that they were really low. Dr. Hubert wasted my time and a lot of money and has emotionally damaged me so much, not to mention he was rude and dismissive each time I saw him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Feinman at HRC Fertility?
Stay clear!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Feinman at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Feinman did not listen to my concerns. He was more interested in spewing out his knowledge and personal thoughts. Every time I saw him, he would interrupt me, would sound irritated by my questions. Half of the time he didn't remember ever having met me.
Describe the protocols Michael Feinman used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Menopur in the hope that I could do timed intercourse, for a period of 6 months, to see if I could fall pregnant without the need for an IUI or IVF procedure. It was a waste of time. Didn't understand my personal situation and nor did he bother to check for himself.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dulce Ramirez)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The Westlake Office was small, felt a little deserted and old. Minimal going on here, doctors visits, blood-work and ultrasounds. Actual procedures were done at their other offices. The receptionist here was very sweet but a little absent-minded, forgetful and not exactly the smartest tool in the box.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Feinman at HRC Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
There were a lot of things wrong with this particular Branch of the clinic. Staff are not very smart, errors forgetting to charge for things, then charging at a later date. Doctor was awful, place wasn't welcoming or inviting. All things that really matter when you are doing a procedure of this kind. IVF plays into a lot of different emotions.
Westlake Village

He [Dr. Michael Feinman] was very upfront with his opinions and thoughts. He didn't sugar coat things. Sometimes I wish he would explain a few things in more detail but thats about my only complaint. He was very personable and I felt like he was invested in our situation...I did three embryo transfers with donor eggs. The first cycle ended with a miscarriage early on. The second we switched the type of progesterone and it didn't end being enough so we got a negative pregnancy. We did a faux transfer after that to make sure my progesterone levels were good before doing our third transfer. I got pregnant on my third but unfortunately miscarried again
The clinic [HRC] was fine. My only problem was I was closest to the Westlake office but the doctor was only there in the mornings only. The afternoons he was in Encino so it made scheduling harder (especially since I worked nights). Also all the procedures (minus basic ultrasounds) were done in Encino so it was a bit of a drive for those. The offices themselves were nice and the rooms were nice.
How was your experience with Michael Feinman at HRC Fertility?
I loved the doctor. He was very upfront with his opinions and thoughts. He didn't sugar coat things. Sometimes I wish he would explain a few things in more detail but thats about my only complaint. He was very personable and I felt like he was invested in our situation.
Ask questions and don't let him dismiss you. Make sure you understand everything for your own piece of mind
The doctor was great and very personable. However the medical team I did not feel like they made me feel like a human. I had to call them all he time to get results that were supposed to be called to me. They were not very kind during my miscarriages. It was frustrating.
I did three embryo transfers with donor eggs. The first cycle ended with a miscarriage early on. The second we switched the type of progesterone and it didn't end being enough so we got a negative pregnancy. We did a faux transfer after that to make sure my progesterone levels were good before doing our third transfer. I got pregnant on my third but unfortunately miscarried again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
They did not follow through with results, I had to constantly call. When I had my miscarriage they called me to come in for an ultrasound to check the baby (like I was still pregnant). They were not compassionate when telling me about my miscarriage after one of my blood tests. Overall it was a frustrating experience
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic was fine. My only problem was I was closest to the Westlake office but the doctor was only there in the mornings only. The afternoons he was in Encino so it made scheduling harder (especially since I worked nights). Also all the procedures (minus basic ultrasounds) were done in Encino so it was a bit of a drive for those. The offices themselves were nice and the rooms were nice.
The initial cost for us was about $23,000 for the first cycle including meds (we used a donor, (this does not include the donor agency fees). After that not counting meds we paid about $2500 per transfer (and that was a military discount, I think the original price was around $3600).
Describe Michael Feinman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
He suggested a single transfer. Its less of a risk than with twins even though the percentage to get pregnant decreasing slightly. He allows you to choose and I elected to do a single each time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Mainly communication with the clinic. I feel like they need a lot of improvement. I had the direct email of the doctor and serval times just emailed him directly to get an answer. That part was frustrating.
Westlake Village

[Dr. Wilcox] Never called even when we found out our cycle had failed and we had 0 embryos to transfer. He has no bedside manners. Wouldn't recommend him...We were treated as a business transaction throughout the whole cycle. He also didn't perform the proper tests needed before starting our cycle and only went based on our age (27/30) giving us false hopes. I never got to see him the day of the egg retrieval or after.
The clinic [HRC Pasadena] was very beautiful and clean. The phlebotomists were always very nice and welcoming. Front desk was okay (could improve). There is no waiting so that was great. The ladies from financial department were also great...My nurse coordinator always seem upset or bothered when I would ask for updates and for her to explain in detail what was going on with my eggs. She many times would forget to send me updates on my cycle during stims. For example when to start/stop a certain medication ect.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
He has no bedside manners, he shows no compassion for his patients. The first consult is great but once you lock in the payment everything changes. I hardly saw him during my cycle and my follow up appt after failed cycle was only 5 minutes. He never explained to me about other alternatives.
To please not go based on yelp reviews. Dr. Wilcox treats many surrogates and that's a completely different scenario as surrogates never pay out of pocket. It's different when you are an actual infertility patient and you're only seen as a check.
We were treated as a business transaction throughout the whole cycle. He also didn't perform the proper tests needed before starting our cycle and only went based on our age (27/30) giving us false hopes. I never got to see him the day of the egg retrieval or after. Never called even when we found out our cycle had failed and we had 0 embryos to transfer. He has no bedside manners. Wouldn't recommend him or his team.
Apparently he doesn't do fresh transfers, I was under gonal and menapour during stims. I had to and extra 5 days of stims and it was pointless and doing extra days can mess up the quality of the eggs.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic was very beautiful and clean. The phlebotomists were always very nice and welcoming. Front desk was okay (could improve). There is no waiting so that was great. The ladies from financial department were also great.
I paid approximately $25,000 not including extra meds for pushing my egg retrieval and other basic blood tests needed in order to start cycle.
I didn't get to transfer.
Pasadena

he [Dr. Bradford Kolb] just does not have time to elaborate on his plans and answer questions...There is no real discussion on plan of action, why things did not work out and what we can do next time to decrease chances of failure... I feel like things are easily overlooked. Treatment feels like trial and error. I do not get a sense that he realizes how emotional and financially hard it the process is.
Financial peopl [at HRC Pasadena] lack detail. You pay out of pocket and it’s a set price but if you go through insurance they bill much more for the procedure. Getting answers and refund is a nightmare...Clinic has its own parking lot and is very private. The staff are nice, phlebotomist are great. Labs and ultrasound are quick...Our nurse is very sweet and answered questions to the best of knowledge that she has. He explained medication mechanism very well. Unfortunately I feel that lately she has been extremely busy and sometimes lack of details. Other staff members have tired to answer questions but they appear to be clueless and in fact just made us feel like we cannot trust how our case is being handled.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Great bedside manner. Very educated, calm and can be very reassuring...when he actually spends time to explain. You can tell he is a very busy doctor and most likely not fully invest in your case as he has too much of a patient load to remember. I feel like things are easily overlooked. Treatment feels like trial and error. I do not get a sense that he realizes how emotional and financially hard it the process is.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Research and formulate questions before visits and after visits and insist on answers. You pay a lot for treatment and should be able to feel like you’re needs are being met.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
The office is very busy and it feels like going to a dentist. Painful quick and goodbye. You get labs, an ultrasound and a few seconds after with the doctor. But really you spend 99% of the time with the coordinator. Dr Kolb is very pleasant and so are the nurses. But he just does not have time to elaborate on his plans and answer questions. It felt very personal to us and it did not come off that way to the team. There is no real discussion on plan of action, why things did not work out and what we can do next time to decrease chances of failure.
Describe the protocols Bradford Kolb used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
First cycle was done using standard protocol which is menopur, gonal F and citrotide then lastly trigger shot HCG. Second protocol was Lupron, follistim, menopur and hcg trigger. We did not get any explanation really on why he decided this would work best.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Clinic has its own parking lot and is very private. The staff are nice, phlebotomist are great. Labs and ultrasound are quick. Decorations can be update. The room men used to produce sample needs to be updated, video needs to be updated and sometimes headphones do not work. Financial people lack detail. You pay out of pocket and it’s a set price but if you go through insurance they bill much more for the procedure. Getting answers and refund is a nightmare.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility.
The whole process cost us 35K so far and no success

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
My dr [Dr. Norian] is good with being analytical and to the point. Not very good with bedside manner....My cycles were constantly pushed back and moved because it didn’t fit the drs time table....At first we tried letrezole for the IU I, then clomid for the next one. Then we tried femera, my pinning wasn’t thick enough so that cycle was canceled. Then we went to ivf and under went the stimming process, then went to injectable progesterone and vaginal progesterone, I was also on levothyroxine...
I wish they [HRC- Rancho Cucamonga] had an online portal to check status of everything you were waiting on. Also it would make it easier to to reference when you had questions.... In the beginning it felt good, the nurses remembered me, they called me when they said they would and updated me when they said they would. Then a year went by and it was like I was forgotten. The staff changed and the dr was more rushed every time I spoke to him.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
My dr is good with being analytical and to the point. Not very good with bedside manner. It’s a sensitive subject and sometimes you need to read your patients. When you are about to tell them they will not have a child on their own, it breaks them. This is regardless if ivf is the cure. We don’t look a ourselves as women anymore
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Norian at HRC Fertility?
Make sure you have support from your SO. Do not expect it from them and make sure you ask a lot of questions, it for st matter how weird it sounds coming out of your mouth
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
In the beginning it felt good, the nurses remembered me, they called me when they said they would and updated me when they said they would. Then a year went by and it was like I was forgotten. The staff changed and the dr was more rushed every time I spoke to him. My cycles were constantly pushed back and moved because it didn’t fit the drs time table. It was heartbreaking. When he finally told me that I wouldn’t get pregnant without doing an ivf cycle I had a breakdown and no one seemed to care. I drove home while having a panic attake. My husband and I just want to have a baby, we knew it would be emotionally tough but we didn’t realize that we wouldn’t get support from our clinic. When we signed on for an ivf cycle we started hearing more from our nurses. After the 2nd transfer I started to bleed 4 weeks into it. After 2 hours I finally got a hold of a nurse who advised me to go on bedrest for the next 2 days. Regularless if I was going to lose them anyway, some urgency would have been nice. I definitely don’t feel important to them, and I don’t quite know what to about my next cycle.
Describe the protocols John Norian used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
At first we tried letrezole for the IU I, then clomid for the next one. Then we tried femera, my pinning wasn’t thick enough so that cycle was canceled. Then we went to ivf and under went the stimming process, then went to injectable progesterone and vaginal progesterone, I was also on levothyroxine during the enmities process. Slowly that was increased
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
The various nurses I spoke with were great. There was a nurse that couldn’t understand my drs notes so she told me I would hav two have a d and c, when it really meant to “discontinue”. That was an awful conversation
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I wish they had an online portal to check status of everything you were waiting on. Also it would make it easier to to reference when you had questions. Any videos and medication resources would be nice. The more help the better
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC Fertility.
The IUis were around $900 each, we did 2, medication was about $300. The ivf cycle was $21000, and the medication after transfer was $1800
Describe John Norian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Both transfers felt the same, the second transfer was with 2 embryos
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
They asked me to go on a type of Medication they wanted me too start right away but never called it in, despite my many calls for them to do so. Also my 3rd iui was canceled bc the dr wasn’t going to be in town and failed to schedule me around that
Rancho Cucamonga

Dr. Nelson has great bed side manners; he is very calm and collective. He likes to take his time to review your case and answer whatever questions you may have. He is compassionate and available to his patient's needs. I felt comfortable being his patient.... At times, I felt like my time with the doctor or his team members were not fully met, yet it was just another appointment. The nurse coordinators were not available to my needs or questions as I predicted or wished for. .
The clinic [HRC-Pasadena] is very clean and professional. They welcome you openly and allow you to address whatever questions you have prior setting up an appointment with one of their physicians. Weaknesses: I had issues with billing. They seem to not have a good communication with the rest of the team members/nurses. If I did not review my bills carefully I would have overpaid on certain visits.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
Ask questions; do not hesitate to say or voice your opinion/concerns.
During my first cycle, which was a fresh transfer after a 5-day egg retrieval I resulted in my first pregnancy; however, I felt that my body was too exhausted to take on a pregnancy after being through so much hormones and treatment. It would have progressed to my knowledge if we froze the embryos and did a Frozen Embryo Transfer vs. a fresh one. On my second cycle, we did a FET with injections [estrogen and progesterone injections] along with baby aspirin and levothyroxine. This cycle did result in a pregnancy, however at 6 weeks into the pregnancy resulted in another miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Torres)
Elizabeth is very thorough and detailed when communicating with me. At times, I felt like I had to remind her or the team regarding things that needed during my cycle.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and professional. They welcome you openly and allow you to address whatever questions you have prior setting up an appointment with one of their physicians. Weaknesses: I had issues with billing. They seem to not have a good communication with the rest of the team members/nurses. If I did not review my bills carefully I would have overpaid on certain visits.
Combination of both IVF cycles we paid about 25K [$25,000]
My RE transferred 2 embryos per cycle; I asked what his preference was whether 1 or 2 he suggested 2 since I am young and have no fertility issues.
Pasadena

Dr. Norian is kind and smart and was easy to talk to. He always addressed all of our questions with detail and patience. Dr. Norian explained all the options -- risks and gave his opinion on best course of treatment. In the operating room he was warm and made me feel comfortable even during a D&C. When any results become available Dr. Norian called himself and explained everything and made himself available for questions. He remained positive and was always optimistic. We have decided to switch Doctors/ clinics because in the end I did feel like he could have been more thorough and I believe things will missed and mismanaged.
We liked Dr. Norian very much, but his staff [at HRC] always seems overwhelmed. The nurses assigned to us did not get back to us in a timely manner and there were often mistakes on the treatment plans...I don't think I would recommend his practice -- if someone was set on going there I would advise them to ask lots of questions and push for more tests...The nursling staff always seemed overwhelmed. I rarely felt supported and always felt like I was chasing them down. The nursing coordinator was responsive, but she was not the one managing my specific treatment/ care.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
We liked Dr. Norian very much, but his staff always seems overwhelmed. The nurses assigned to us did not get back to us in a timely manner and there were often mistakes on the treatment plans. After 2 miscarriages with Dr. Norian (1 before we started seeing him I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis and I couldn't help but feel it could have been caught earlier.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cynthia)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is Pasadena was wonderful. The nursing staff was warm, friendly, patient and always made us feel very comfortable. All of the other staff was great as well - encouraged questions and never seems rushed. We almost never waited -- they were on time and efficient.
We did multiple embryo transfer and after the second miscarriage he suggested we leave the frozen embryo from the that retrieval and do a new retrieval with testing. I wish we did the testing from the start and wish that was suggested.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I think the issues at this clinic come down to the nurses -- it seems like they have too many patients.

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Kolb can be mechanical at times...Dr Kolb was not a good communicator when I first saw him. He just told me that I only have a remote chance of conceiving and sent me on my way without telling me there were treatment options, I guess he assumed I knew about IVF and all of that, But I had never heard of anything prior. Dr Kolb has apologized to me before for seeming sterile and cold, but like I said, I don't take things personally.
They [HRC - Encino] are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened...The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized... my husband had to donate sperm twice because they didn't test the first time within FDA guidelines. I don't understand why they can't test the first sample instead of needing all new (expensive) bloodwork and semen donation all over again.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Do not take his bedside manner personally. He is regarded as one of the top fertility doctor's in the world, I have seen the reviews and magazine covers and he has a wonderful nursing staff. He is non-threatening and would never be considered creepy or anything like that. You can trust him.
His main nurse, Debbie treats me like a friend, but Dr Kolb can be mechanical at times. But I don't take it personally.
He makes it clear that he is trying to save me money by starting off with less expensive meds and overtime my eggs would not respond, he would up the medications and we would just keep trying. I am about to try my last cycle with the most expensive medications available thus far.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Debbie V)
Nurse Debbie is the BEST. She even lets me text her on her personal cell phone because of the nature of the urgency with my scheduling. I understand ethical and professional boundaries, so I do not abuse this privilege and neither does she. She is very helpful and always there when I need to come in on a moment;s notice; and she always finds a way to get me in whether she is going to be in the office or not. She is warm and empathetic.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
They are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened. Also, I had a friend pre-pay my IVF procedure and the clinic promised me that it could not be refunded and was safe for me to continue no matter what, but then the head of finances called me and said that my friend got it refunded back right in the middle of me getting treatments and the lady who promised this could not happen did not even apologize for the screw up. The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized. They charge twice as much for bloodwork as an outside clinic, so I would say that they are overly expensive. .
$500 for bloodwork. $600. a year sperm storage fee. $9.740.00 IVF procedure. $1,000. drop cycle fees, $240 Ultra sound visits. $50.00 consultation. $500 for sperm donation. $4,000. egg donor medications.
Describe Bradford Kolb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
He will not transfer anymore than 2 at a time, but my nurse says that I might be able to talk him into trying 3.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I already described the mess up with not telling me about a surprise drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and also the mess-up with saying my money was safe when it wasn't. Another thing that happened was my husband had to donate sperm twice because they didn't test the first time within FDA guidelines. I don't understand why they can't test the first sample instead of needing all new (expensive) bloodwork and semen donation all over again.
Pasadena

My doctor [Dr. Jefferey Nelson] is very knowledgeable and I trusted that he knew the best course of action. He explains things thoroughly and in a way to help me understand...He doesn't necessarily give you more information than you need to know. Ask questions and he will explain what he sees and what is going on very clearly. He makes me feel comfortable and I feel he is capable.
Nursing staff [at HRC] had failed at one point to tell my doctor that my OPK kit had changed. I came in the next day and told him and he was surprised he wasn't informed. They had also at one point forgotten to order a prescription and we had to rush it to the house...Each of my IUI were about $2,500 which included ultrasounds, medications (clomid, trigger shot, progesterone), and back to back IUI sessions with sperm wash. During my last IUI they had me pay per day rather than the package since that was slightly cheaper.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
My doctor is very knowledgeable and I trusted that he knew the best course of action. He explains things thoroughly and in a way to help me understand. This might be my issue more than his but during ultrasounds I tend to not ask questions and I think later I should have asked. He doesn't necessarily give you more information than you need to know. Ask questions and he will explain what he sees and what is going on very clearly. He makes me feel comfortable and I feel he is capable.
Ask questions and gather as much information as you can. Getting a hold of him to talk to him directly is hard. All communication is done through his support staff.
His office support staff make you feel like a number but him as a doctor makes you feel like a human. The front desk and ladies that take you to the room make it seem like you are putting them out. His nurse who was on my case is delightful as well as Dr. Nelson.
My husband and I have unexplained infertility and sometimes anovulation. Because we are both on the younger side he elected to have us try IUI with Clomid. I started clomid on about day 3 of my cycle and then I took OPK and if I saw a kit change I came in for them to asses. If I didn't see a change then they would trigger shot me. They gave me the shot even with the kit change to ensure that I would ovulate. Then I came in within the next day or two and had one IUI done (sperm wash included). We used my husband's fresh sperm. The following day I would have a second IUI and sperm wash. From there they placed me on progesterone for two weeks just as a precaution (I didn't have progesterone level issues). I did 3 rounds of IUI just like this and all 3 times had negative results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
Liz my primary nurse was much better than the others at the office. She was kind and encouraging. The other support staff were quick with me and pretty emotionless. Prior to seeing Liz or Dr. Nelson you very much just feel like a number being pushed through the system. There were also a few times where they didn't either order my medication or some thought they didn't when they did. They don't feel very organized or informed.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
It is a very nice facility that has all the bells and whistles. However, I would rather have a less attractive lobby and cheaper pricing. :) The facility is easy to find and parking is relatively easy as well.
N/A. We haven't done that option yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Nursing staff had failed at one point to tell my doctor that my OPK kit had changed. I came in the next day and told him and he was surprised he wasn't informed. They had also at one point forgotten to order a prescription and we had to rush it to the house.
Pasadena

With every encounter I had with Dr. Potter, he was at least 1+ hour late (consultation, surgeries, personal meetings). During our initial encounter (consultation) he failed to make eye contact, introduce himself, and the facility. We had selected him anyway, because he discussed a treatment plan that I felt was custom to my situation, and with that I was impressed.... Procedures and communication, that I believe should be done and or shared by an MD is instead done by his staff.
They [HRC Fullerton] are compassionate and apologetic for Dr. Potter’s consistent tardiness. They are proficient in their roles. Sometimes communication is great and sometimes it is very poor. For example, one time I had a time sensitive question, and did not get a response until the next day. I felt that it should not have been my responsibility to follow up, but had I not, I would not have gotten the information I needed....
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Strengths: intelligent, high success rates, skill Weakness: lack of compassion, lack of time, consistently late (staff members had even candidly shared this with me), poor response time, flat affect. Dr. Potter has opened a Infertility Clinic in China in the past year. As a result, I believe he is spread “way too thin”. Procedures and communication, that I believe should be done and or shared by an MD is instead done by his staff. Considering the amount of money I have paid to the clinic, I had higher expectations. For example, I had questions for Dr. Potter at one point and was told I could not communicate with him because he was in China. Another example, I had very sensitive PGS testing results, and his ultrasound tech delivered the results rather than him. Another time, I paid an additional $100 for a 15 minute meeting with him (in which he was an hour late for), regarding a treatment plan for which I had already paid $20k+ for. These instances made me feel that his primary interest was money making vs me as a patient.
He is an intelligent infertility specialist. However, do not expect that he will ever be on time, you will always wait at least an hour or more with every encounter with him. Do not expect hand-holding, or compassion. He is a bookish, matter-of-fact type. Communication in my opinion is poor.
With every encounter I had with Dr. Potter, he was at least 1+ hour late (consultation, surgeries, personal meetings). During our initial encounter (consultation) he failed to make eye contact, introduce himself, and the facility. We had selected him anyway, because he discussed a treatment plan that I felt was custom to my situation, and with that I was impressed. At one point, I intentionally called him out for being late, and I did not receive an apology, rather a poor excuse. Despite my dissatisfaction, I still proceeded with care as I told myself, I didn’t care about bedside manner as long as I had results. I also felt that I didn’t have a choice but to proceed as I had already made an out of pocket cash payment in full.
I had a uterine septum Dr. Potter corrected prior to any egg retrievals or potential transfers, with good outcome. He initiated a insulin resistant/metformin protocol, even though my GTT yielded normal results. This was in response to me yielding a low number of eggs during the first retrieval. It did not improve the outcome for my second retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalija Matic )
Natalija was my care coordinator, but not a nurse. She was an ultrasound tech. She seemed skilled and knowledgeable in her role. However, I also felt she was “spread way too thin”. Her role overlapped with that of Dr. Potter. I think a lot of what should be his responsibility fell onto her lap, just simply because he didn’t have the time for it. I actually never worked with a nurse from the clinic (only surgery center) during my whole treatment there.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Communication is adequate. Better than Dr. Potter’s response time. They are compassionate and apologetic for Dr. Potter’s consistent tardiness. They are proficient in their roles. Sometimes communication is great and sometimes it is very poor. For example, one time I had a time sensitive question, and did not get a response until the next day. I felt that it should not have been my responsibility to follow up, but had I not, I would not have gotten the information I needed.
Approx $20k for 2 retrievals, transfer, labs and US $2k for hysteroscopy/septal repair Approx $8-10k for medications
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Most recently, I had requested medical records be sent to my primary physician, using the correct “authorization to release medical info” form. I faxed the form and specifically spoke with someone who said they would handle it within 2-5 business days. 2 months later, my physician had not received it. Upon my second follow up call, it was finally sent over. Another time, about 5 months ago, I was sent an outside lab bill in which I had paid OOP. The finance department said they would follow up and call me back. A week later I did not receive a call. I filed a concern to the manager of the department regarding the follow up. This issue still has not been resolved.
Fullerton

During our consultation, he seemed distracted and had not prepared or gone over our records from our first round of IVF. He doesn't do any of the ultrasounds himself...On the day of the retrieval, Dr. Potter was over an hour late as usual. Once we got the PGS report (all abnormal embryos), my ivf coordinator called instead of Dr. Potter himself and she couldn't answer any questions. I had to wait over a month to speak to him regarding the cycle.
There was a day where I didn't receive a call for direction on my meds so I called the office and my IVF coordinator [at HRC Fertility] was out for the day. There was no one on-call and I had to just hope she would check her email when she got home...treatment protocol = $17,170. meds were around $5k...
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
We had to wait over an hour for our initial consultation but that was expected from other reviews. During our consultation, he seemed distracted and had not prepared or gone over our records from our first round of IVF. He doesn't do any of the ultrasounds himself. I was scheduled for a hysteroscopy that cost $1865 and Dr. Potter spent about 5 minutes and then left the room w/out a word. I didn't even know we were done. On the day of the retrieval, Dr. Potter was over an hour late as usual. Once we got the PGS report (all abnormal embryos), my ivf coordinator called instead of Dr. Potter himself and she couldn't answer any questions. I had to wait over a month to speak to him regarding the cycle.
I would recommend she proceed with another doctor.
I felt like a number because no one in the office was welcoming. After the initial consultation, the lead IVF coordinator was supposed to contact me the next day since she was unavailable the day of our consultation. I did not hear from her and had to reach out myself a week later. I barely had any contact with Dr. Potter.
microdose lupron stimulation because Dr. Potter didn't think I would produce many eggs based on the follicle ultrasound count and fsh level. I ended up producing 22 eggs, 16 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and both abnormal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Castillo)
After the initial consultation, the lead IVF coordinator was supposed to contact me the next day since she was unavailable the day of our consultation. I did not hear from her and had to reach out myself a week later. I came in for an initial ultrasound and was left in the exam room for half an hour when I was told the technician would be in right away. I had to flag someone down half naked because they forgot I was in there. . In the middle of my cycle, I had to start coming in every day for test and adjust my meds based on the results. There was a day where I didn't receive a call for direction on my meds so I called the office and my IVF coordinator was out for the day. There was no one on-call and I had to just hope she would check her email when she got home.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I had a terrible experience overall from my coordinator, lab and ultrasound technicians, and doctor - I really don't have anything good to say about the clinic and I really regret wasting a cycle on this clinic.
treatment protocol = $17,170. meds were around $5k
We didn't get this far in the process.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I mentioned everything in my previous comments.
Newport Beach

Dr. Ghazal was unavailable via email or phone and when asked questions regarding treatment lashed out with personal attacks against me instead of simply answering questions...was peaches and cream sweet during my first appointment, but due to the nature of our infertility and embryo adoption, my husband and I had questions and needed clarification so we scheduled a second appointment. I've never been treated so rudely nor have I been so personally attacked by a doctor. I left the office in tears and my husband was furious.
For transferring embryos to the clinic [HRC], medications, and one FET cycle, the cost was about $7,000...The Fullerton location only handles office visits and blood work. Actual transfers take place at the Newport Beach office. The first half-hour of parking is free, then paid thereafter. Even if you come for quick labs first thing in the morning, you will wait well beyond your appointment time. The staff, though not great with time management or responding to emails, is very nice.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Ghazal was peaches and cream sweet during my first appointment, but due to the nature of our infertility and embryo adoption, my husband and I had questions and needed clarification so we scheduled a second appointment. I've never been treated so rudely nor have I been so personally attacked by a doctor. I left the office in tears and my husband was furious. I received word about 2 weeks later that she was no longer employed by HRC and that our file was being transferred to Dr. Frederick in the Newport Beach office, who performed our transfer as schedule, unfortunately not resulting in a pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Don't be her patient. Run away. Run far, far away.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Sanaz Ghazal used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Starting with a week of Birth Control, then Lupron injections combined with alternating Estradiol and PIO injections, accompanied by Baby Aspirin daily. 5 days before transfer I started a prednisone pack.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalija Matic)
The staff is very pleasant but it's hard to get a timely response from the Fullerton office. Nearly every email I sent (email was their requested/preferred form of contact) took a week of waiting and at least one additional follow up phone call to get a reply. It was incredibly frustrating and I was made to feel like a nuisance. They also were very quick to pass the blame instead of taking responsibility when something wasn't done correctly.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility.
For transferring embryos to the clinic, medications, and one FET cycle, the cost was about $7,000.
Describe Sanaz Ghazal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Dr. Ghazal did not perform our transfer; however, we had discussed transferring two embryos due to the quality of the embryos and my age (which we ultimately did).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
We transferred embryos from another clinic, and getting the correct paperwork from our coordinating agency was a nightmare on both ends. HRC blamed the agency, the agency blamed the original clinic. It's impossible to say who was really to blame, but HRC's failure to respond in a timely fashion contributed to severe problems during the process.
Sanaz Ghazal
Fullerton

He uses the exact same protocol for every single patient because he thinks he's perfect - it's arrogant and not the right way to treat fertility issues. ... He cancelled two FET cycles and he never changes them for the patient's needs ... They [HRC] didn't monitor me for an autoimmune disorder, which they said they would, and that is a potential cause of the miscarriage. ... He said it doesn't matter if you transfer one or two - whatever you want, he doesn't care. ...
They [HRC] didn't monitor me for an autoimmune disorder, which they said they would, and that is a potential cause of the miscarriage. ... She's [nurse] sarcastic, mean, makes you feel that everything is personally your fault, disorganized, etc. RUN AWAY and get a new coordinator. ... I have only had negative experiences and they clearly protect their own in a negative way.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Daniel Potter and his lead coordinator, Stephanie Castillo, are the worst people I have ever encountered in the medical field. RUN! He is described as "brilliant" by the people who he pays, and no one else.
Run away, find a new doctor right now!
He doesn't care about his patients at all - he only cares how many he gets pregnant so his rates go up. He cancelled two FET cycles and he never changes them for the patient's needs - he thinks he's perfect. He's extremely arrogant. Run away from this doctor
I could write a novel on how terrible she is and I literally think she should not be allowed to see patients again in her life. She is horrible. She's sarcastic, mean, makes you feel that everything is personally your fault, disorganized, etc. RUN AWAY and get a new coordinator.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I have only had negative experiences and they clearly protect their own in a negative way. It seems that they preference protecting their doctors and nurses and everyone who they pay over their patients. If you want to find someone who cares for you, and someone who will make sure you get pregnant the way you need to - go anywhere else.
Over the last 9 months of treatment, $35000 - $40000 in costs.
He said it doesn't matter if you transfer one or two - whatever you want, he doesn't care. That says a lot about him because two is a serious increase in risks and there are so many more benefits with a single embryo transfer if you can!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
They didn't monitor me for an autoimmune disorder, which they said they would, and that is a potential cause of the miscarriage.
Newport Beach

The clinic [HRC] does not manage time or patients well. There is not a realistic timeline to see the dr and you have to wait a long time to get in. They are also terrible at returning calls and still owe me a considerable amount of money from a reimbursement my insurance company already sent them. This clinic is terrible. If you want to be treated like a number and you have endless amounts of money to waste and you don’t want a doctor that cares, this might be the place for you.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Potter keeps all his patients waiting for hours on end. The waiting room is always filled with people waiting for him with no end in sight. When he meets with you he promises you the moon on the first visit. Then once he sees your results he doesn’t care to support you in the next step and quite honestly showed zero compassion or empathy for the shocking news we received. You can tell he’s in it for the numbers and the money and will move on to the next gullible patient who’s willing to pay an extreme amount of money for poor care.
Do your research and find another doctor who will actually care about making your dreams come true. HRC is like a factory trying to squeeze everyone and has zero personal attention for patients.
He never took the time to get to know us and often kept us waiting for hours to see him. The first time we waited an hour and a half and the second time it was two and a half hours. His office insisted he was on his way the whole time, when we did meet with him it was only 15 min to say ivf will never work for you try an egg donor. All he wanted was the money and we were just a number. He was horrible at making us feel heard or understood. Once he saw my results he was basically like see ya, you’re never going to make it so I don’t want to prioritize you.
Dr potter recommended an egg donor as the only resort for us to get pregnant. He didn’t provide any other solutions and sai this was the only way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
The nursing staff tried their best to makeup for where Dr potter lacked. You could tell they were afraid of upsetting their boss, he frequently blamed them for why he was late or why they didn’t communicate correctly. They seem like nice people who try but again they treated me like I was just a number they could get money out of.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic does not manage time or patients well. There is not a realistic timeline to see the dr and you have to wait a long time to get in. They are also terrible at returning calls and still owe me a considerable amount of money from a reimbursement my insurance company already sent them. This clinic is terrible. If you want to be treated like a number and you have endless amounts of money to waste and you don’t want a doctor that cares, this might be the place for you.
$2000 just for initial consultation and bloodwork.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
There was not good follow through for getting a copy of my results from the blood test. I had to call and email over 5 times to get a copy. I also am still currently battling with them about a reimbursement my insurance sent over and they don’t want to pay me what my insurance says I’m entitled to.
Fullerton

My FET was scheduled for 9 in the morning, so I arrived at 7 AM and Dr. Potter didn't arrive at the clinic until 1PM. ... My original doctor was let go of 1 week prior to my FET. ... He gave my procedure an 80% chance of success and then in the actual procedure he said and i quote "this is so easy; i'm so bored" But then it didn't work. ... He is very cocky
I went to both the Newport and Fullerton clinics. I really liked the Fullerton clinic, but did not like the Newport clinic as much. ... When my cycle failed, I wanted a debrief appointment and they [HRC] said it would be 4 months, and then cancelled the day of the appointment when it finally rolled around. ... My original doctor was let go of 1 week prior to my FET. The clinic sent me an e-mail with the news and said they would find someone else to do the procedure
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
My FET was scheduled for 9 in the morning, so I arrived at 7 AM and Dr. Potter didn't arrive at the clinic until 1PM. Every bed in the office was filled and there was a huge crowd in the waiting room, standing room only. The nurses were nonplussed and said this is what always happens and kind of rolled their eyes and said Dr. Potter is always 5-6 hours late so just kind of expect that. It didn't feel like he really valued his patient's time.
He is very cocky, which would be ok if he were able to follow through. He gave my procedure an 80% chance of success and then in the actual procedure he said and i quote "this is so easy; i'm so bored" But then it didn't work.
When my FET occurred, I took a home pregnancy test everyday and I got a positive days 5-7 after the transfer, but then the line got weaker and I called the office for a blood test and they said i needed to wait 14 days for the blood test. it got lighter and lighter so I expected the blood test to be negative and it was. but I wanted to talk about what went wrong and they said the soonest debrief appointment was 4 months later. then the day of that appointment, they called and cancelled the appointment. it felt like they just didn't care about me, or dissecting what happened with my cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalija)
I worked with Natalija and really liked her. She was well informed and very helpful. I also really liked the staff at the fullerton office. Brianna and Deisy were wonderful people and I really appreciated the care they showed, and the way they communicated. I really trusted the nursing and office staff.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I went to both the Newport and Fullerton clinics. I really liked the Fullerton clinic, but did not like the Newport clinic as much. At the newport clinic I would often wait for up to 4 hours for my scheduled appointment.
The IVF was about $22,000 (including PGS on 13 embryos) and the FET was $3,500. Medication was about $10,000 for IVF and FET combined.
After originally saying they would only do eSET, after 2 egg retrievals, I only ended up with 2 PGS normal embryos, so then they said, well you can actually do either 1 or 2 together and let me choose.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
My original doctor was let go of 1 week prior to my FET. The clinic sent me an e-mail with the news and said they would find someone else to do the procedure, but that I wouldn't be able to meet the new doctor ahead of time. When my cycle failed, I wanted a debrief appointment and they said it would be 4 months, and then cancelled the day of the appointment when it finally rolled around. So then I wanted to move to another clinic and I asked them to send my paperwork to another clinic, another HRC clinic, within their system. But they said they lost my paperwork and it took many angry phone calls from me before they finally found it and agreed to send a copy.
Newport Beach

He [Dr. Feinman] had no intention of changing protocol. I wasn't allowed to speak to the lab. I was given no information as to their grading or what abnormalities. ... He was nice enough during the visits if not seemingly little annoyed if I asked questions. The end result was that there were no normal embryos. ... If you are young and have plenty of healthy eggs you will probably be fine but his one size fits all approach is not a fit for older women or women with special circumstances.
The staff [HRC] are very friendly especially the financial people. The in house acupuncture is also great. I still see Pei-Jen even though I've switched clinics for treatment. It's nice that the egg retrievals are done in the same location and you can get parking validated if you buy something at the cafe downstairs. ... Acupuncture is 100 a visit. The IVF cycle came to around 25,000 ... Trey [nurse] was inconsistent in her communication. Sometimes great and sometimes she'd go MIA. She was kind and encouraging but not super helpful in terms of the actual medical side of things.
How was your experience with Michael Feinman at HRC Fertility?
During our consultation Dr. Feinman told us there was nothing you could do to affect the quality of your eggs, they are what they are and nothing will change that not even drinking and smoking! He also had a coffee mug that said his medical degree trumps your google search. I should have gone with my gut but I just wanted to get started. He was nice enough during the visits if not seemingly little annoyed if I asked questions. The end result was that there were no normal embryos. He had no intention of changing protocol. I wasn't allowed to speak to the lab. I was given no information as to their grading or what abnormalities.
The staff were always very kind and the office never felt overcrowded or hectic.
Clomid, Follistim, Ganerelix and Menopur. I was given no insight as to how or why.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Trey Shade)
Trey was inconsistent in her communication. Sometimes great and sometimes she'd go MIA. She was kind and encouraging but not super helpful in terms of the actual medical side of things. I was given incorrect needles for the instructions I was given, she didn't know how to use a Q-cap for the menapur (she would try and pop it out instead of putting it on the vial then releasing the packaging), and a few other glitches.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The staff are very friendly especially the financial people. The in house acupuncture is also great. I still see Pei-Jen even though I've switched clinics for treatment. It's nice that the egg retrievals are done in the same location and you can get parking validated if you buy something at the cafe downstairs.
Acupuncture is 100 a visit. The IVF cycle came to around 25,000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
The problems I encountered are outlined in my other answers.