Diana Chavkin

Westlake Village, CA 91361
11500 Olympic Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90064

2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Kolb was warm and personable during initial consult and subsequent appointments. He also maintained emotional neutrality and a very matter-of-fact tone throughout. Our regular appointments tended to be rushed without much time for questions. When we were successful and our pregnancy had reached 8 or 9 weeks, Dr. Kolb seemed genuinely delighted and he even surprised us with hugs!
Systems in place at HRC were mostly seamless and efficient. This was great but didn't always seem very personal/personalized...has an after hours answering service and they will relay messages to your doctor on weekends...has a wonderful social worker on staff...The care coordinator was the most helpful part of our team and the person with whom we had the most communication
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Form a positive relationship with your coordinator. Find out the best way to communicate with her and don't hesitate to ask questions! If you don't get answers right away, ask again. HRC also has a wonderful social worker on staff who can be a really wonderful and helpful resource for support through the ups and downs of fertility treatment. Finally, I wish I'd known sooner that in the event that something more urgent comes up between visits, HRC has an after hours answering service and they will relay messages to your doctor on weekends. This came in handy a couple of times when unexpected pain or bleeding occurred. It was helpful to be able to have a brief consult and receive some reassurance when the office was closed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Bradford Kolb used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Our treatment protocol seemed pretty standard. I'm not aware of any special modifications made for us. If there were, we were not made aware of them. For us, this was apparently appropriately as our treatment was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Leona)
The care coordinator was the most helpful part of our team and the person with whom we had the most communication. Unfortunately, both our first coordinator (who we totally adored) and our second, both left the practice during our journey. This was not communicated to us by HRC until after several we'd made several unsuccessful attempts to reach our coordinators. This also made it difficult to feel really comfortable once we met Leona, who ended up being our point person until we "graduated" from HRC. Regardless, she was wonderful and patient with all of our questions. Truth is, all the coordinators are wonderful and will work hard to make sure you are well informed and supported. Try to form a positive relationship, but don't get too attached to one coordinator as she may be replaced with someone else at some point.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HCR Pasadena is located conveniently , in a shiny, clean, and pleasant office setting. Processes are streamlined and efficient and staff is mostly friendly and accommodating. I found afternoon appointments overwhelming as it gets very busy and waits can be long, but early morning appointments were much more low-key, quiet and on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility.
We paid about $10,000 out of pocket and the rest was covered by insurance. (I think it would have been closer to $25-27,000 without insurance coverage)
Describe Bradford Kolb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
In our case, Dr Kolb strongly encouraged single rather than multiple embryo transfer.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr Norian is very easy to talk to...When we had a financial issue, he worked with us the best that he could and I couldn’t thank him more for that!...We did a very basic and simple approach with regards to protocols due to male factor infertility, my age, and no female pre existing conditions. Our first fresh transfer was a success with my daughter!...Two was the absolute max he would transfer for us.
[nurse at HRC Fertility] seems as though she didn’t have much experience in the infertility realm...The financial counselor, comes off very rude... tried to call me to cancel my appointment about an hour before my appointment...They didn’t offer a different day/time at the moment and never called me for a follow up... I also have been sent home with another persons chart and information instead of my own.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
Dr Norian is a very personable and quirky man. Right off the bat, we hit it off. We knew very little coming into this and after talking to him the first time, we felt like we understood the path we would be taking. He is very knowledgable and listens very well. He even came to our appointment with visuals and easy to understand information. He tried to get to know us more on a personal level and remember little tid bits that we discussed from our last appointments. He would explain everything before he did anything and would ease into any procedure. He made me feel very comfortable when at our appointments and would try to explain everything in terms that we could understand. When we had a financial issue, he worked with us the best that he could and I couldn’t thank him more for that!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Norian at HRC Fertility?
Write down all of your questions/concerns before your appointments. Sometimes you’ll forget everything when you’re in the actual appointment. Don’t be afraid to ask “dumb” questions. He understands and doesn’t make you feel like these are dumb questions. He will answer to the best of his ability and will answer any clarifying questions. Trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
The receptionist was very welcoming and knew my name when I had appointments. Whenever I had to draw blood, the phlebotomist knew my me by name and would hold conversations with me. Dr Norian is very easy to talk to and would talk about personal experiences and try to understand where we were coming from. He is very personable and quirky— which we liked since it is a high stress environment.
Describe the protocols John Norian used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
We did a very basic and simple approach with regards to protocols due to male factor infertility, my age, and no female pre existing conditions. Our first fresh transfer was a success with my daughter! We transferred two embryos each time. Progesterone in oil, estradiol, endometrium, Delestrogen, Medrol were all used for my transfers. The frozen transfers after my singleton was born, were fairly easy and straightforward, but they concluded with one miscarriage and one negative pregnancy. For the 2nd transfer that concluded in a miscarriage, the only thing changed was a endo scratch.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
A big weakness with my nurse was that English was not her first language and unfortunately that creates a barrier for us. She didn’t quite understand our questions and concerns to the fullest. She would give us a dictionary definition of the concern but not the real life problem solving answer. So we had to seek much help from our IVF Facebook groups or google. It seems as though she didn’t have much experience in the infertility realm and would just push along the protocols as stated without showing us how to do things. We aren’t nurses in any way shape or form so we asked her if she could draw circles on my back side of where shots should be.... and she looked at us funny and draw tiny circles in the area. They didn’t seem right so I got a second opinion. We went through the steps and motions with her and just consulted with others after we talked with her. She did however, answer emails promptly and did get back to us with results from the Dr when we asked about them. She was very sweet and always smiled.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
This clinic is very clean and organized. The staff is usually friendly and knows you by name when you come in. The longest wait time I had for a routine visit was 15 minutes. They get you in fairly quickly and the appointment isn’t too fast or slow. They have magazines and coffee that you can have when waiting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Norian at HRC Fertility.
The costs are pretty average with regards to fertility treatments. Our personal cost was on the lower end due to it being a basic protocol. Cost of IVF procedure, egg retrieval, anesthesia, ICSI, standard labs, one pregnancy test were all in one price and meds were a separate fee.
Describe John Norian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Our doctor was very weary of transferring more than one embryo. Two was the absolute max he would transfer for us. Our last frozen transfer, we had 3 embryos left and we opted to choose the best two embryos after that thaw to transfer. That transfer ended in a unexplained miscarriage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
One appointment we scheduled for financial counseling and we checked into the clinic with the receptionist. We waited for about 30 minutes before we asked what was going on, receptionist stated that the financial counselor would be with us shortly. 15 minutes later, the counselor confronts us and states that they tried to call me to cancel my appointment about an hour before my appointment. I had my phone right with me and never received a voicemail or anything. I also have an Apple watch so missing a call is very unlikely for me. To make matters worse, she continued to state they called me and that they won’t be able to see me due to the dr. Being on an international call. I understand the reason, but did not understand how this was being held. For her to state that the receptionist was the one who called, yet the receptionist was the one who checked us in???? This was very confusing and maddening to us. They didn’t offer a different day/time at the moment and never called me for a follow up, I had to call them. I also have been sent home with another persons chart and information instead of my own. The financial counselor, comes off very rude unless YOU attempt to make small talk with her. She is very black and white and does not show compassion.
Rancho Cucamonga

after the first egg retrieval...he [Dr. Bradford Kolb] adjusted his calibrations for the second round which improved the egg quality and quantity for the second retrieval. Additionally, by being our Doctor during the latest miscarriage, he has already proposed a sweeping new plan for the next pregnancy, including blood thinners, immuno-suppressants, and hormone regimes...prefers a safe, conservative approach and suggests single transfers. He is open to dual transfers but that would be his upper limit. He was rather blunt on the idea of 3+ transfers.
The clinic [HRC] is bright, well appointed, and very efficient. It tends to be on the busy side and often has multiple patients in the waiting area. Wait times are low if you arrive at your appointment as scheduled; we prefer early mornings and are able to arrive on time for work in a different part of town without much difficulty...Nancy [nurse] has been there every step of the way with us. She's been our hype-woman and has offered to help pick us up when we felt loss. She's been a great advocate for us and works with both partners, not just the patient undergoing treatment. I've been included in the plans of care and she's been careful to make sure I don't feel left out.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Kolb has a great deal of experience and is a calm hand through a difficult process. He is very sensitive to our emotional well-being and has shown concern for our individual journey. He was the practitioner who identified the third miscarriage and I witnessed the moment he realized what had occurred. He briefly was surprised but shifted into a comforting role in the blink of an eye. His own shock was hidden from us and he was present for our heart break. I will always respect him for putting aside his own disappointment in order to care for us as people.
Don't be fooled by the aloof-seeming nature he presents. He takes a bit to open up and is genuinely a good guy. He cares and takes the time to learn about you. He may seem robotic at first but he's a good doctor. Very gentle as well.
While Doctor Kolb can be awkward, he definitely has compassion for his patients. He was very careful following the miscarriage to share information when my wife & I were ready or asked questions. He has a busy practice but our interactions with him are friendly and warm.
Honestly, as the male partner, I wasn't subject to the program my female partner went through. I do know that, after the first egg retrieval (which utilized both oral and injectables), he adjusted his calibrations for the second round which improved the egg quality and quantity for the second retrieval. Additionally, by being our Doctor during the latest miscarriage, he has already proposed a sweeping new plan for the next pregnancy, including blood thinners, immuno-suppressants, and hormone regimes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy has been there every step of the way with us. She's been our hype-woman and has offered to help pick us up when we felt loss. She's been a great advocate for us and works with both partners, not just the patient undergoing treatment. I've been included in the plans of care and she's been careful to make sure I don't feel left out.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is bright, well appointed, and very efficient. It tends to be on the busy side and often has multiple patients in the waiting area. Wait times are low if you arrive at your appointment as scheduled; we prefer early mornings and are able to arrive on time for work in a different part of town without much difficulty.
The egg retrievals were $2500 a piece, medication (for stimulation) was $2100 per stimulation cycle, and DNC following miscarriage was $500 or so after co-pay.
Dr. Kolb prefers a safe, conservative approach and suggests single transfers. He is open to dual transfers but that would be his upper limit. He was rather blunt on the idea of 3+ transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
It was a simple issue of two patients being given an ultra-sound at roughly the same time. Our nurse (substitute for our normal nurse) read notes for both charts and asked us a question about a clot Dr. Kolb had noticed (which did not occur during our procedure). No patient PII or information was disclosed, so it seemed innocent enough.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Guner] was always very honest and upfront and gave me realistic expectations, which I appreciate. She communicates very well and takes time to answer questions and explain without seeming rushed or bothered. She has a kind demeanor and good bedside manner. I appreciate her making us feel like we were individuals and our case was specific to us, not just another patient of hundreds...
My only complaint about HRC is that i felt like I needed to ask them for prep before starting and I feel like IVF is something where education and preparation should be a top priority, I shouldn’t have to ask for it...Beautiful office, clean and calm exam rooms, friendly front desk staff. They are very efficient in getting everyone in and out when it’s clearly a very busy clinic. Parking is street parking and mostly only 1 hour streets, which isn’t ideal...
How was your experience with Joie Guner at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Guner is wonderful. She was always very honest and upfront and gave me realistic expectations, which I appreciate. She communicates very well and takes time to answer questions and explain without seeming rushed or bothered. She has a kind demeanor and good bedside manner. I appreciate her making us feel like we were individuals and our case was specific to us, not just another patient of hundreds. At this point, I have no complaints about Dr. Guner. Just hoping to have a positive outcome!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joie Guner at HRC Fertility?
Ask your questions and seek clarification of her opinion when you need it. She is a great communicator and she will give you honest advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joie Guner at HRC Fertility?
She was kind and spoke to me as a human, honest and open in her explanations, took time to call me directly and reply to my emails quickly.
Describe the protocols Joie Guner used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
First cycle - DOR (age 33) Clomid x 5 days Follistim started on day 4 through day 10 Ganirellix and low HCG started day 8 until trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Desiree)
Desiree was my nurse and she was great. We met before starting my cycle so I could ask some questions and feel prepared. Overall I was very happy with Desiree, however, I was initially assigned to a different nurse who I did not feel was as good of a communicator and didn’t feel like she was providing me with any preparation before starting my cycle. My only complaint about HRC is that i felt like I needed to ask them for prep before starting and I feel like IVF is something where education and preparation should be a top priority, I shouldn’t have to ask for it. But once I met with Desiree everything was smooth sailing.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Beautiful office, clean and calm exam rooms, friendly front desk staff. They are very efficient in getting everyone in and out when it’s clearly a very busy clinic. Parking is street parking and mostly only 1 hour streets, which isn’t ideal. The structure behind the clinic is super expensive so you either need to park farther when you can find 2 hr streets, or move your car if you aren’t out in 1 hr. That’s not ideal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joie Guner at HRC Fertility.
Total cost for cycle (which included biopsy for pgt testing and a professional discount which was honored since Dr Guner is a USC doctor) was about $13,500
Joie Guner
2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr Ho has been extremely sensitive to the multiple losses I have experienced and has always given me a realistic approach with a healthy dose of optimism. She knows who I am and takes plenty of time to talk me and my husband through every step of the way, making time for virtual consultations and answering questions even on the weekends...I don’t feel rushed or stupid for asking questions. She’s patient and kind while also being professional and knowledgeable.
The clinic itself [HRC Fertility] is very nice and all staff are typically helpful and sensitive. It is hard to find parking so that is also something to consider. There are several doctors and many patients so there is a certain amount of wait time to expect too...All payment for IVF cycle is due before the start of baseline appointments...The best way to communicate with the nursing staff and the financial department is via email. Otherwise they can be difficult to get in touch with.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Ho at HRC Fertility?
Dr Ho always asks how I’m doing and takes as much time as I need. I don’t feel rushed or stupid for asking questions. She’s patient and kind while also being professional and knowledgeable. She did a whole PowerPoint presentation for my husband and I when we had our initial consult about IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Ho at HRC Fertility?
Ask lots of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Ho at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Ho used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr Ho recommended a hysteroscopy to deal with a small uterine septum. She has now recommended frozen embryo transfer with PGS testing due to my repeated losses. The hope is that we will be able identify any abnormalities in eggs/embryos before implantation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
One of Dr Ho’s nurses, Pam, has been amazingly sensitive and supportive during this entire process. She’s reached out repeatedly to give me information and to check in and also encouraged me to advocate for myself to get the treatment I needed. Her personal touch was one of the reasons I decided to stay with USC when they moved to HRC Fertility. When I have feedback to the doctor about a misstep in communication, it was immediately rectified.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The best way to communicate with the nursing staff and the financial department is via email. Otherwise they can be difficult to get in touch with. The clinic itself is very nice and all staff are typically helpful and sensitive. It is hard to find parking so that is also something to consider. There are several doctors and many patients so there is a certain amount of wait time to expect too.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Ho at HRC Fertility.
My insurance does not cover any procedures so all blood work and testing was billed to me directly. There are payment plans available for some bills (blood work, ultrasounds) while other procedures (sonograms, hysteroscopy) were due up front. All payment for IVF cycle is due before the start of baseline appointments.
Describe Jacqueline Ho's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Because of my age and history of repeated losses, Dr Ho is sensitive to only implanting one embryo at a time. I am very appreciative of her thoughtfulness to the approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
When I had a pregnancy outside of an IVF cycle, my results were not reported to my chart so I did not receive blood test results on two different occasions. Once I told the doctor about the issue, it was immediately rectified and all communication has been timely since.
Jacqueline Ho
Pasadena

Dr. Norian is great at communicating sensitive news. I felt that he was always careful in how he said things...on call and available when I needed him. Even on a Saturday night at 8pm...My first cycle treatment was pretty much standard...After the 1st miscarriage...[doctor] tested and was a little more aggressive with medication. I was even placed on blood thinners to help ease any clots...
Often times the clinic [HRC Fertility] would overbook patients and sometimes it was a long wait. I always saw [Dr. Norian] so this was good, but they should not over book him. The ladies in the front were always respectful and friendly...[nurse] was always on top of her work...don’t think she understood some questions and concerns I sometimes had...overall we spent about $25,000 on treatments...
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Norian is great at communicating sensitive news. I felt that he was always careful in how he said things. I also felt that at time because he was trying to be sensitive to your feelings he wasn’t being absolutely honest just how bad things might be. Overall, he is great Dr and makes you feel so hopeful and wants to help you achieve pregnancy and eventually a live birth.
One major word of advice is to seek all the “what if’s” we went into this so hopeful and then when we faced loss we did not know how to handle it.
Dr. Norian and his staff were always very compassionate to my situation. He was on call and available when I needed him. Even on a Saturday night at 8pm.
My first cycle treatment was pretty much standard. I used progesterone and estrogen shots. After the 1st miscarriage because I had a lot of blood cots. He tested and was a little more aggressive with medication. I was even placed on blood thinners to help ease any clots.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chen )
She was always on top of her work. The only downfall was that she HS a really thick accent which made it difficult to communicate certain things too. I don’t think she understood some questions and concerns I sometimes had.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I felt that Often times the clinic would overbook patients and sometimes it was a long wait. I always saw the Dr. so this was good, but they should not over book him. The ladies in the front were always respectful and friendly.
The total cost in the office was 16,800 and medications were another 4,000 dollars. Then after my first transfer Ended in a miscarriage the second transfer resulted in another cost of almost 4,000 with medication. So, overall we spent about $25,000 on treatments.
Dr. Norian was very open about single vs. multiple births. He went through the risks and informed you. He ultimately gives you the choice of what you want to transfer.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Tourgeman is great at listening and answering questions, which helps me feel like he really cares...he says IVF is indicated due to my history with endometriosis, but we decided to do a few rounds of IUI first due to the cost of IVF...He was very gentle with the IUIs and I didn’t feel any pain...After going to one of his seminars and seeing his kind demeanor in combination with his expert knowledge, we decided to consult with him
The check in process, blood draws and the IUIs went very well [at HRC Fertility]. The LVNs were very nice. The nurses could use some training to be more consistent. Overall I liked the clinic. It’s challenging for everyone to be in the situation that brings them to this clinic and overall my experience has been positive...The nursing staff has been okay overall...not great
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Tourgeman is very kind and knowledgeable. After going to one of his seminars and seeing his kind demeanor in combination with his expert knowledge, we decided to consult with him. He was very gentle with the IUIs and I didn’t feel any pain. For me, he says IVF is indicated due to my history with endometriosis, but we decided to do a few rounds of IUI first due to the cost of IVF. I am sometimes unclear about what exactly he thinks about my cycle and wish he would alter the medications a bit to see if that would help. The first cycle he did two IUIs (one before and one after ovulation). The second round he was unavailable for the IUI and the covering physician was unaware of how Dr. Tourgeman was doing two IUIs for me. Overall I liked Dr. Tourgeman and will continue to see him for care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
Come prepared with your questions ahead of time and ask questions during ultrasounds.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols David Tourgeman used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Try IUI with letrozole for 2-3 cycles before moving to IVF due to cost of IVF and multiple, extensive endometriosis surgeries. I was hesitant to try clomid because of potential vision side effects and a history of migraines with auras, so we decided to use letrozole instead.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
The nursing staff has been okay overall. My primary nurse changed between my first and second cycle. I think the first nurse I had left the practice. She was better at explaining the injections than my second nurse, but wasn’t as good at communicating results with me. It was nice to have the best of both worlds overall, for example to have good education on the injections the first round and good communication about results on the second round. But overall it was okay, not great.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The check in process, blood draws and the IUIs went very well. The LVNs were very nice. The nurses could use some training to be more consistent. Overall I liked the clinic. It’s challenging for everyone to be in the situation that brings them to this clinic and overall my experience has been positive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility.
I don’t have any insurance coverage for fertility. A consult was about $350. Initial cycle ultrasound was about $400. Each blood draw was about $90. First IUI with ultrasound was about $800. Second IUI without ultrasound was about 400. Follow up pregnancy test was covered by insurance.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Kolb has a calm energy. He performed all ultrasounds and made himself available afterwards for as long as I needed and answered many questions very patiently...very realistic and communicated well what I could realistically expect. He was compassionate and used a protocol that he thought would yield the best results...did a mini I.V.F. with lower doses of medication due to not having a surplus of follicles. It was a very gentle approach and my body responded well. I also used I.C.S.I. with the idea that perhaps my follicles would be firm. I don't think it was necessary, as I had better success at another clinic without it....
You will be assigned a nurse [at HRC Fertility] for your calendar and most communication will be through them. Make sure you understand everything before you go home. It's not always easy to get in touch with them and sometimes you will be passed off to someone else who may not know your situation that well...nurses were very compassionate and personable, which is really important to me. They were mostly knowledgable. I saw different ones and sometimes the information was not consistent....
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Kolb was very realistic and communicated well what I could realistically expect. He was compassionate and used a protocol that he thought would yield the best results. I had previously opted to do 3 rounds of I.V.F. with plans to test the embryos after the final round. All of my eggs fertilized, and zero made it to blast. After this, Dr. Kolb suggested the next retrieval be a 3 day transfer. Since there was no male factor issues or anatomy issues on my part, I asked to do an I.U.I. For me, it was a more economical and logical choice since nothing done, including I.C.S.I. had changed the outcome. In my mind, it was find the lucky egg. So, we started that process. My body had responded well to meds previously, but was not during the I.U.I., so he increased the meds. The next time I went in, all of my follicles "disappeared". I did 3 consults with 3 different doctors after that and submitted all records and each of them said I had probably ovulated early. I really liked Dr. Kolb and found him to be otherwise very competent. I did move on to another Dr. however.
I did a mini I.V.F. with lower doses of medication due to not having a surplus of follicles. It was a very gentle approach and my body responded well. I also used I.C.S.I. with the idea that perhaps my follicles would be firm. I don't think it was necessary, as I had better success at another clinic without it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
The nurses were very compassionate and personable, which is really important to me. They were mostly knowledgable. I saw different ones and sometimes the information was not consistent.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
They are very friendly and sweet. You will be assigned a nurse for your calendar and most communication will be through them. Make sure you understand everything before you go home. It's not always easy to get in touch with them and sometimes you will be passed off to someone else who may not know your situation that well.
Because we were seen just as the pandemic was beginning, and I am guessing many of their international clientele were unable to travel, the price was at a discount. Mini I.V.F was somewhere around 14,000
Pasadena

Dr Kolb was the first person to look at my labs and say that I might not respond well to too much stimulation. He recommended that my eggs may respond better to lower amount of stimulation. I appreciated that. ... He was very calm and neutral. He did not talk about other topics and stuck to the important things, like my fertility concerns. I don't like mindless chatter and he definitely did not do that. Even though I felt like he was repeating a few things, it was better than if he went off on tangents.
They [Dr. Kolb] were quick to get you in and out for the IUI inseminations. Sometimes I thought they were moving too quick. the Doctor had said that I would need to lay down flat for 15 minutes, but they would come and get me out of the room in 5 minutes. ... They gave me an appointment and didn't put that appointment on the doctor's calendar. They did not place a prescription order in time.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Be ready to get serious. Dr. Kolb is logical like a vulcan. Which I like very much.
Dr Kolb used Follistim 100 IU for my IUI treatment. I had 5 follicles growing and we did inseminations two days in a row.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
The HRC staff are all very nice. The nurse I was assigned sometimes had issues with email communication. Even when she wasn't on vacation I would get auto emails that she was out of the office, which indicated to me that she was not good with details. She is a nice person. She needs to fix her email however. It was very confusing at times what she was saying. Her English was pretty terrible.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
They were quick to get you in and out for the IUI inseminations. Sometimes I thought they were moving too quick. the Doctor had said that I would need to lay down flat for 15 minutes, but they would come and get me out of the room in 5 minutes.
the IUI cost $2,200 but the medication was another $1,500.
he is for eSET but he is also very empathetic to the person's needs/wants.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
They gave me an appointment and didn't put that appointment on the doctor's calendar. They did not place a prescription order in time. The office had closed and I had to pick up my Follistim from the office, I thought I was going to have to cancel this cycle.
Pasadena

Dr. Norian from my experience would usually say like over all I’m pleased with the result when he checked my blood works, follicles. I also had a couple of blood work results that were a bit abnormal and he would point it out to me and prescribed me a medication and coach me on lifestyle changes that I needed to do. ... Sometimes or some tests he failed to give me feedback so that’s when I have to initiate and ask him things like what do you think of my husband’s sperm analysis result, how are my follicles responding to the treatment. I am still half way through my IVF process but I am pleased in general with how Dr. Noraian is managing my treatment.
Strengths: -clinic [HRC] is clean -most of the staff are courteous and friendly -wait time when I went for ultrasound/bloodwork was not bad at all Weakness -took me about a month to get a schedule for initial consultation -their main receptionist is not so courteous in person and during phone calls ... Their monitoring is in the mornings. Weekend monitoring is in another branch about about 30 miles away
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Norian from my experience would usually say like over all I’m pleased with the result when he checked my blood works, follicles. I also had a couple of blood work results that were a bit abnormal and he would point it out to me and prescribed me a medication and coach me on lifestyle changes that I needed to do. He would give feedbacks like that. Sometimes or some tests he failed to give me feedback so that’s when I have to initiate and ask him things like what do you think of my husband’s sperm analysis result, how are my follicles responding to the treatment. I am still half way through my IVF process but I am pleased in general with how Dr. Noraian is managing my treatment.
Do your research in advance if you can because Dr. Norian or even most doctors I think, don’t really give a detailed explanation of everything in the process and if they do you will most probably be overwhelmed while in the clinic. Also make make a list of the questions you might have for Dr. Norian and his team.
I can tell that Dr. Norian is always really busy but he always managed to ask how I am doing. Although always briefly, but he makes it a point to explain his plan of care for me and informs me if my results are good or not.
Birth control pills for about 2 weeks, then injections for about 10 days. Follistim, menopur. Ganirelix was added in the last few days. Trigger shot was lupron. Mood swings, fatigue and mild OHSS towards egg retrieval day and after were the side effects that I experienced.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes. Michelle)
My nurse coordinator always answered my calls and emails promptly. The only thing is she can be sarcastic when I clarify certain things about the treatment that I don’t understand.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Strengths: -clinic is clean -most of the staff are courteous and friendly -wait time when I went for ultrasound/bloodwork was not bad at all Weakness -took me about a month to get a schedule for initial consultation -their main receptionist is not so courteous in person and during phone calls
$17,000+ including PGS ,ICSI but not including meds and mock IVF

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Each transfer [with Dr. Jeffrey Nelson] has been 2 embryos implanted each time...is very kind and has a soothing bedside manner. He walks you through each step of the procedure as he is doing it. I appreciate his kindness and empathy...I found that sometimes I had to do some research and bring it to him vs. him proactively recommending protocols...I underwent 3 unsuccessful IUIs, followed by 3 egg retrievals. My first transfer was a fresh transfer that resulted in a successful pregnancy but ultimately went into pre-term labor at 5 months which resulted in the loss of our daughter. In our subsequent transfers - we did the endometrial biopsy, hysteroscopy and proceeded with FETs, the current cycle is a long cycle using Depot Lupron for 2 doses rather than the daily Lupron shot.
the financial team [at HRC] certainly has much room for improvement as messaging is inconsistent and they do not have the detail orientation and follow through that I would prefer when spending this amount of money...She [nurse] follows up in a timely manner, and I appreciate that response level. She's also worked with me to receive the best coverage possible as I am paying out of pocket and the costs can get quite high. For example - one dose of Lupron was $1400, and she helped to manage that.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
Dr Nelson is a great doctor and very kind throughout the process. I found that sometimes I had to do some research and bring it to him vs. him proactively recommending protocols. The area of improvement is largely with the admin staff - the financial team certainly has much room for improvement as messaging is inconsistent and they do not have the detail orientation and follow through that I would prefer when spending this amount of money.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
Do your homework and go in with questions. He will listen and address your questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Nelson is very kind and has a soothing bedside manner. He walks you through each step of the procedure as he is doing it. I appreciate his kindness and empathy.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Nelson used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chloe)
She follows up in a timely manner, and I appreciate that response level. She's also worked with me to receive the best coverage possible as I am paying out of pocket and the costs can get quite high. For example - one dose of Lupron was $1400, and she helped to manage that.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The financial team is a weakness, they are not good with follow-through or completing what they have promised you. I have been waiting for some outcomes for weeks without response. It is quite frustrating as a long time patient that has spent so much money with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility.
Each FET cycle is $3800, Embryo storage is $750, meds per cycle are $500-$1500 per cycle, Egg Retrieval was $10,000
Describe Jeffrey Nelson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Each transfer has been 2 embryos implanted each time
Just delays in results.
Pasadena

I wish that Dr. Norian could have spent some more time explaining things to us. And maybe that will come later during a follow up consultation if this is a failed cycle. ... I think there are somethings we just won’t ever understand about our fertility with DOR and a family history of male infertility on my husband’s side of the family. ... Dr. Norian was super busy, and I didn’t feel like he could spend time with us to answer questions. He was very rushed trying to get through patients.
There were two occasions I sat in the waiting room [HRC] for over an hour because they were behind. It’s tough to put up with this because I was working and had to make up my time at work. So waiting was stressful. I wish they would have notified me to come in a little later and that would have made all the difference. ... The laboratory nurse was pretty good about getting my blood drawn right away.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
I came in already having been treated elsewhere so my diagnosis was done outside of this clinic. I don’t feel that I learned anything new being under his care. He seemed to be a very skilled doctor from the times we met with him. The medical treatment was not unlike our other experiences.
Make sure to have your questions written so that when you get time to talk to the doctor you will not forget what you wanted to ask.
We did Gonal F 225mg and Menopur 225mg-300mg for 9 days. Novarel on day 10 and Cetrotide for 5 days. Doxycline a day before the retrieval for 5 days. We started a few meds a day after egg retrieval that included progesterone in oil, endometrin, estradiol, Medrol dose pack. I would have liked a rationale for using this protocol from the doctor but mostly the nurse would just tell me what we were doing with not too much explanation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Deanne)
Deanne spent most of the time of our visit with us explaining medication and appointments. She also seemed to be rushed. I made about two phone calls to her and the call went to voice mail each time. It was best to communicate with her via email. The laboratory nurse was pretty good about getting my blood drawn right away.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I believe that this clinic does a fantastic job at what they do. I feel that our setbacks are because of our diagnosis or lack therefore. I think there are somethings we just won’t ever understand about our fertility with DOR and a family history of male infertility on my husband’s side of the family. There are just some people that have a higher success rate than we do. I wish that Dr. Norian could have spent some more time explaining things to us. And maybe that will come later during a follow up consultation if this is a failed cycle. Another weakness is that the clinic is so busy. There were two occasions I sat in the waiting room for over an hour because they were behind. It’s tough to put up with this because I was working and had to make up my time at work. So waiting was stressful. I wish they would have notified me to come in a little later and that would have made all the difference.
Procedure was like $12k. Medication was about $6k.
Rancho Cucamonga
Initially she [Dr. Alison Peck] was thorough and supportive but we found out that despite Pgd testing I had an embryo with dmd because apparently both my X chromosomes were affected which we didn’t know before so eventually had to abort. After this we felt her attitude changed and practically refused to do another transfer. This made us feel like a failed statistic which was disappointing after the great treatment before that. She has very limited knowledge and understanding of genetics. These days she has completely changed her tone with us which has really brought my hopes down about being able to have a baby.
Lots of different costs [at HRC] that you don’t get clarity on and extra costs that apparently are out of pocket that you get surprised with. Billing Dept always seemed to be confused...I think the finance Dept has too many complicated paperwork and it’s impossible to understand the costings. The rest of the staff are easy. The nursing staff are great. The acupuncturist is great. It is a very diverse clinic. They have a lot of tests and the process has many steps.
How was your experience with Alison Peck at HRC Fertility?
Initially she was thorough and supportive but we found out that despite Pgd testing I had an embryo with dmd because apparently both my X chromosomes were affected which we didn’t know before so eventually had to abort. After this we felt her attitude changed and practically refused to do another transfer. This made us feel like a failed statistic which was disappointing after the great treatment before that. She has very limited knowledge and understanding of genetics. These days she has completely changed her tone with us which has really brought my hopes down about being able to have a baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alison Peck at HRC Fertility?
I don’t have any since each case is different
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alison Peck at HRC Fertility?
The nurses and staff were friendly
Describe the protocols Alison Peck used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I can’t remember all the technicals but dr peck put me on the pill and then regulated the timings and medications accordingly. During this period I came in for regular blood tests and had a few acupuncture sessions. She checked my uterus regularly. The general treatment was good. I had the karyotype testing done.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kimberley )
The care staff and Kimberley are excellent. Kimberley is really warm and responds very quickly on email.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alison Peck at HRC Fertility.
Lots of different costs that you don’t get clarity on and extra costs that apparently are out of pocket that you get surprised with. Billing Dept always seemed to be confused.
Alison Peck

2013 - 2018, Successful
I think the biggest weakness is the number of patients Dr. Neslon treats now. When we first started seeing him it seemed it was easier to make appointments and their was more flexibility and availability...That being said, he will go out of his way to book Saturday appointments...We had male infertility. We used ICSI with IVF...He always makes me feel like a person with valid feelings and concerns. I like his personality. He always seems to remember details about our everyday life
A few years ago when we first started treatment they had a strict policy about not allowing children especially babies to the clinic. That was great while I was childless at the time and going through so many different feelings related to infertility...All of the cycle treatment appointments were under the IVF or embryo transfer bills. There was no seperate bills if needing extra appointment....The lobby room is huge
How was your experience with Jeffrey Nelson at HRC Fertility?
I think the biggest weakness is the number of patients Dr. Neslon treats now. When we first started seeing him it seemed it was easier to make appointments and their was more flexibility and availability. 2 years ago it seemed as if it was harder to book an appointment. That being said, he will go out of his way to book Saturday appointments if needed for the best treatment plan for your body.
He his knowledgable about infertility and comes with years of experience.
He always makes me feel like a person with valid feelings and concerns. I like his personality. He always seems to remember details about our everyday life not related to infertility. He connects with his patients and spouses.
We had male infertility. We used ICSI with IVF with a fresh transfer the first time. With the second transfer we did a frozen transfer. We used typical IVF treatment and adjusted medicines based upon my levels since infertility was not female related. We have used 2 eggs every time because of my age and the high number of embryos created.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
A few years ago when we first started treatment they had a strict policy about not allowing children especially babies to the clinic. That was great while I was childless at the time and going through so many different feelings related to infertility. I was disheartened to see that this changed during my last cycle. The lobby room is huge and has space for all of their patients.
Yes, we were educated about the number used and the reasoning. We also, were informed that if something happened to one of the 2 embryos during unfreezing they would unfreeze another 2 and transfer 3 in that case or however many survived. That they would rather transfer 2 then just one. Again, BC i have a high number of embryos.
West Los Angeles

Dr. Wilcox is a great doctor with calm demeanor. He or his nurse practitioner did all of my ultrasounds, which is great. However, I never spoke to Dr. Wilcox after each failed transfer. Even just a quick phone call to show his support would have been nice....He may come off a little too calm, but that seems to be his personality and bedside manner....During the last ultrasound prior to my 3rd FET, I asked him a question and he gave me a single word response before leaving the room. I did not feel very supported/validated at that time.
Dr. Wilcox's [HRC] nurse team was amazing. From his nurse practitioner Tiffany, to my assigned IVF coordinator Teresa, to his awesome nurses Nanette, Ana, and Kat, I always felt that everyone knew where I was in my cycle and what the next steps were. I never felt that his team was confused as to which patient I was. i never felt like a number. My preferred mode of communication is email, and sometimes I would email a random question. If Teresa was not able to respond quickly, one of the other nurses was so quick to respond.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Wilcox's strength is his very calm demeanor, which I equated to confidence. He was always cool and collected, and his tone of voice was very comforting. He answered every question I had (except with the last transfer) as if he had always known the answer. He never faltered in his responses, which made me feel at ease. Dr. Wilcox's weakness, as previously stated, is that he could be a bit more supportive. After each failed transfer, I never connected with him as far as the next steps. I always spoke to my IVF coordinator, who would speak on his behalf. After each failed transfer (I had 3), I would have liked to connect with him or even have him call me with the next steps. I think that adds the human factor; the idea that he's not just a busy doctor, but a human who actually cares about my progress. During the last ultrasound prior to my 3rd FET, I asked him a question and he gave me a single word response before leaving the room. I did not feel very supported/validated at that time. I would say that for the most part, though, Dr. Wilcox was professional and I was confident with my treatment plan. His protocol always worked for me because I responded well to medications. Everything looked picture perfect beforehand. He adjusted the treatment plan with each failed FET, and I had cervical dilations and an ERA to help diagnose possible issues with implantation at the cellular level. I am confident in his treatment plans for me for the future as well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
He may come off a little too calm, but that seems to be his personality and bedside manner. If you don't feel comfortable by that, I would go with another doctor. He was always consistently cool as a cucumber.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Wilcox is a great doctor with calm demeanor. He or his nurse practitioner did all of my ultrasounds, which is great. However, I never spoke to Dr. Wilcox after each failed transfer. Even just a quick phone call to show his support would have been nice. Maybe that is too much to ask, but this is an extremely emotional experience and sometimes the bad news/aftermath of bad news is better received when it comes from the doctor. His awesome nursing team called me by phone/email, and were always prompt. But that is the only thing I would have liked from Dr. Wilcox.
Describe the protocols John Wilcox used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
EGG RETRIEVAL IN JUNE 2017: Birth control pills started on 5/19/17-5/28/17. 5/30/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 6/2/17: Started Gonal F 300 units, Menopur 75 units, Omnitrope 0.25 mL every night. 6/6/17: Appt for ultrasound/labs. Based on lab results, I continued all medications as ordered and increased Menopur to 100 units. 6/8/17: appt for labs/ultrasound. Follicles growing well, responding to meds well. 6/10/17: appt for labs/ultrasound. 6/11/17: trigger injection. 6/13/17: egg retrieval under general anesthesia. 19 eggs retrieved, 13 eggs mature, 11 fertilized via ICSI, 10 blasts, 5 PGS normal embryos (3 boys/2 girls). FET #1 IN AUGUST 2017: 7/1//17:take last birth control pill. 7/12/17 appt for ultrasound, labs for BHCG and estrogen. 7/16/17: Start Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for 2 doses. Start prenatal vitamins, dha, and folic acid daily. 7/22/17: increase Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 7/26/17: Appt for ultrasound/labs for progesterone and estrogen. 7/30/17: Started Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily and Progesterone 200mg lozenges sublingually 3 times daily. 8/4/17: FET with 1 male PGS embryo. Dr. Wilcox had difficulty accessing my uterus because my cervix is anatomically shaped differently. 8/16/17: Beta HCG negative. FET#2 IN OCTOBER 2017: 9/22/17: Dr. Wilcox completed a cervical dilation and endometrial scratch, because he had difficulty accessing my uterus during FET #1. 9/27/17 started Delestrogen 0.1 mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses. Started prenatal vitamins, DHA, and folic acid daily. 10/3/17: increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 10/6/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 10/11/17 started Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily and Progesterone 200mg lozenge sublingually 3 times daily. 10/16/17: FET with 2 PGS normal embryos (1 male/1 female) under general anesthesia. 10/27/17: Beta negative. ERA CYCLE IN DECEMBER 2017: 11/2/17 started birth control. 11/11/17 last birth control pill today. 11/15/17 appt for ultrasound/labs. 11/16/17 started Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses. 11/22/17 Increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 11/27/17 appt for labs/ultrasounds. 11/30/17 started Progesterone 1mL IM daily and Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily. 12/5/17: ERA biopsy. Started back on birth control pills. FET#3 IN JANUARY 2018: 12/22/17 cervical dilation under general anesthesia. 12/28/17 took last birth control pill today. 1/2/18 appt for labs, ultrasound, and endometrial scratch. Started Delestrogen 0.1mL every 3 days for a total of 2 doses, and started prenatal vitamins, folic acid, and dha. 1/8/18 increased Delestrogen to 0.2mL every 3 days. 1/12/18 appt for labs and ultrasound. Dr. Wilcox saw what could have been hydrosalpinx on right side fallopian tube. 1/16/18 started Progesterone 1mL IM daily at 9am, and Endometrin 100mg vaginal suppository 3 times daily. 1/22/18 FET #3 with 1 PGS male embryo under general anesthesia. 2/2/18 Beta negative. CURRENT PLAN OF CARE: referred back to OB for possible laparoscopy of right side pelvic area, or placement of Essure on right side fallopian tube.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Teresa Fontanilla)
Dr. Wilcox's nurse team was amazing. From his nurse practitioner Tiffany, to my assigned IVF coordinator Teresa, to his awesome nurses Nanette, Ana, and Kat, I always felt that everyone knew where I was in my cycle and what the next steps were. I never felt that his team was confused as to which patient I was. i never felt like a number. My preferred mode of communication is email, and sometimes I would email a random question. If Teresa was not able to respond quickly, one of the other nurses was so quick to respond. I never felt like I was waiting for an answer. When I came to my appointments, I always felt like they knew who i was. I really appreciated that!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Front staff was nice enough, but could have been a bit more welcoming of patients. I have spent a lot of time there, and they are consistently nice enough. This is a highly emotional experience, so I feel that the more smiles I see, the better the experience. It would be nice to be greeted to a warm, friendly, and understanding receptionist when I am going in for transfers, or going in for what I know is going to be a negative beta test. I will say that they are efficient and I am in and out as soon as possible. The entire facility is amazing and I can see that they value appearance. It is beautiful as soon as you walk out of the elevator. I love that it is always clean, and their coffee/tea station is fully stocked. There is always a place to sit, which is nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC Fertility.
The cost for an IVF cycle (egg retrieval, 1st FET, PGS testing): $16,565. If I opted for no PGS testing, it would have been $12,110. Each FET $3150. General anesthesia $1500. Endometrial scratch $300. Cervical dilation $1100. ERA test $870. Biopsy $260.
Describe John Wilcox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
My doctor felt that I would be successful with a singleton transfer, but ultimately left it up to me. He was willing to transfer 2 PGS embryos, though it was not his recommendation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I was picking up prescriptions for one of my upcoming transfers. My requested that my prescriptions be called in to a nearby pharmacy (I live quite far from the clinic), and my nurse responded that she will do that. i called the pharmacy to ensure that the prescriptions were ready before arriving, and they did not have a record of any prescriptions called in. I quickly called HRC, and they immediately called in the prescriptions. It worked out. That was the only time something like that happened.
Pasadena

Dr. Norian has always been very friendly and professional. Always made my husband and I feel very comfortable...when he says he'll call us, he does...The one negative thing I can say about Dr. Norian is that he is always VERY busy. So sometimes when we are seeing him he is trying to get off to another patient, which makes it a little uncomfortable when you're asking a lot of questions, since my husband and I are fertility newbies. Overall, I really like Dr. Norian, which is why we continue to see him.
conflicting information was provided to us [by at nurse at HRC], but was immediately corrected. There was a time when perscriptions weren't called in, but it didn't effect my treatment, just the price, unfortunately...Strengths include cleanliness. Weakness is that on some days, although your appointment is at 9 am, you won't be getting out of the clinic until 1030 or 11. This is due to how busy the clinic is. It makes it difficult to plan for when you have to take time off of work to make these morning appointments.
How was your experience with John Norian at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Norian has been very helpful. Although our IUI attempts haven't been successful, we continue to go to him because we're confident in his work. He is always very friendly and when he says he'll call us, he does, which makes us feel very comfortable with him. The one negative thing I can say about Dr. Norian is that he is always VERY busy. So sometimes when we are seeing him he is trying to get off to another patient, which makes it a little uncomfortable when you're asking a lot of questions, since my husband and I are fertility newbies. Overall, I really like Dr. Norian, which is why we continue to see him.
Be prepared to wait past the time of your appointment.
Dr. Norian recommended two IUI attempts. If neither was successful, we would do IVF, which is what we are currently doing.
I have a different coordinator for IVF, but am reviewing the coordinator I had for IUI. Michelle was very friendly. Unfortunately, she was difficult to understand while on the phone, in person, and though email. The language barrier was too difficult to overcome. She was very nice though. All the nursing staff at this clinic have been very friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
IUI attempt -- $2000 IUI meds -- ~$500 IVF attempt (insurance coverage included) -- ~$4000 IVF Medications (some medication covered by insurance) -- ~$5000 PGS -- $5500
Dr. Norian is always on the side for Singleton births, it seems. But always discusses with his patients their thoughts.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Due to the language barrier with one of the nurses, conflicting information was provided to us, but was immediately corrected. There was a time when perscriptions weren't called in, but it didn't effect my treatment, just the price, unfortunately.
Rancho Cucamonga

Dr. Wilcox is extremely busy and it seems like he uses a similar ivf protocol for many patients. However, my egg retrieval progressed just as he had predicted without OHSS which was one of my biggest worries. While he is quick in and out, his team will definitely take time to answer questions if needed.... Dr. Wilcox is very capable and confident and has an impressive track record. Everything he told me to expect has happened during treatment (ie number of follicles to expect, predicted date of egg retrieval, etc). I trust that he will always prescribe the right protocol for me.
My issue is with the Financials team at the clinic. Twice they [HRC] said I did not sign something and then later found that I did. Also prior to starting any phase of the cycle, I ask them to provide a breakdown in costs. Each time I have to send one or two follow up emails before they respond.... The facility is very nice but extremely busy. If you have an appointment after 9am, prepare to walk into a full waiting room. I literally had nowhere to sit a few times. That said, the clinic is clean and well equipped.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Wilcox is very capable and confident and has an impressive track record. Everything he told me to expect has happened during treatment (ie number of follicles to expect, predicted date of egg retrieval, etc). I trust that he will always prescribe the right protocol for me. However, I do wish he had more time to spend with his patients. Aside from our initial consultation, each appointment has lasted no more than 10 min and then he is rushing off to the next patient. I know this doesn’t compromise the level of care I’m receiving. Whether it results in a BFP for us, we will see in a few weeks once we transfer.
Have a list of questions that you want to ask ready to go at each appt.
Birth control pills for 18 days Ultrasound/bloodwork on CD2 Begin injections on CD3 Follistim 225 + Menopur 75 from CD3-6 Follistim 225 + Menopur 150 from CD7-9 Add in Ganirelix on CD8-9 Trigger with Lupron + HCG on CD10 Egg retrieval on morning of CD12
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nanette V)
Nanette is great at explaining the process every step of the way. She responds quickly to emails and definitely provided a lot of peace of mind throughout. When she is out of office, her backup Ana is amazing too. They definitely go above and beyond!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
About $3K per IUI including injectable meds About $23K for IVF cycle including meds, ICSI, and PGS testing
N/A - currently awaiting number of day 5 blasts
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
My issue is with the Financials team at the clinic. Twice they said I did not sign something and then later found that I did. Also prior to starting any phase of the cycle, I ask them to provide a breakdown in costs. Each time I have to send one or two follow up emails before they respond.
Pasadena

He [Dr. Tourgeman] is very compassionate and nice. I can't complain about him or his care. I am a very analytical person, so would have liked to understand more of the "why"s around my course of treatment -- why one protocol vs. another, and whether or not that is due to his professional philosophies for treatment or due to my specific case.... [Protocols] were never explained to me. At least, the rationale behind why. I don't know what my protocol was called, but i was on: Gonal-F 350/day Menopur - 1-2 vials, depending Added something else toward the end of sims Not sure what i triggered with First round,
Everyone [HRC] is very nice. Appointments are a breeze - they either get you in early, or right on time. Surgical facilities are beautiful and the staff there is great. Just ask a lot of questions. Sometimes i felt rushed or unable to ask, or even felt like i was supposed to know things, when in reality i didn't know what was happening and why at certain times.... My care coordinator was a little robotic. Nice, but not super compassionate. Not a very good communicator - i had to chase via email for answers to a lot of things that were unclear.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
He is very compassionate and nice. I can't complain about him or his care. I am a very analytical person, so would have liked to understand more of the "why"s around my course of treatment -- why one protocol vs. another, and whether or not that is due to his professional philosophies for treatment or due to my specific case.
Ask questions. If you feel rushed, slow it down.
I definitely felt like a human - the Dr. and staff were very caring. I would have liked more explanation and details around my care.
They were never explained to me. At least, the rationale behind why. I don't know what my protocol was called, but i was on: Gonal-F 350/day Menopur - 1-2 vials, depending Added something else toward the end of sims Not sure what i triggered with First round, retrieved 5 eggs. 3 fertilized. All tested abnormal. No transfer 2nd round, retrieved 3 eggs. 1 fertilized. Never grew. No transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Decline to answer)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Everyone is very nice. Appointments are a breeze - they either get you in early, or right on time. Surgical facilities are beautiful and the staff there is great. Just ask a lot of questions. Sometimes i felt rushed or unable to ask, or even felt like i was supposed to know things, when in reality i didn't know what was happening and why at certain times.
First round with meds (and some insurance coverage) was roughly $15k.
Describe David Tourgeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
We never got to transfer, so we hadn't discussed it.

2018, 3 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Boostanfar] is warm and friendly, but on the move. He gives you the essential information and answers any questions, but doesn't spend a lot of time explaining why he's choosing the protocol he's choosing or going over what to expect. Unless you know what to ask, I feel like it would be easy to leave without some information. The nurse that is helping me fills that role instead.... Microdose lupron, follistim and menopur. I don't know WHY these were chosen, other than I think my fibroids were taken into account with the lupron.
Overall very happy with the clinic [HRC Encino]. Clean, short waits, professional staff and many services offered. Prices seem in line with other clinics as well. Didn't get great results on my first attempt, but hopeful that with a tweaked protocol will improve.... She [nurse] is great at going through and explaining what to expect and what comes next, as well as answering any questions that you may have forgotten to ask the doctor. Patient and professional, and seems to really care about my success.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility?
He is warm and friendly, but on the move. He gives you the essential information and answers any questions, but doesn't spend a lot of time explaining why he's choosing the protocol he's choosing or going over what to expect. Unless you know what to ask, I feel like it would be easy to leave without some information. The nurse that is helping me fills that role instead.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility?
Have a list of questions ready. He is very knowledgable but gives the impression of also being quite busy, and unless you ask questions the appointment will go very quickly and you may not get all the info you want. Overall, though, I think he knows what he is doing and is very good at what he does.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility?
Consultations go pretty quickly, with not a lot of extraneous information given. He is very friendly and professional, but doesn't spend a lot of extra time going over results or the WHY of things.
Describe the protocols Robert Boostanfar used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Microdose lupron, follistim and menopur. I don't know WHY these were chosen, other than I think my fibroids were taken into account with the lupron. I did not respond well, however, so we're changing the protocol next time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Bahereh)
She is great at going through and explaining what to expect and what comes next, as well as answering any questions that you may have forgotten to ask the doctor. Patient and professional, and seems to really care about my success.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Overall very happy with the clinic. Clean, short waits, professional staff and many services offered. Prices seem in line with other clinics as well. Didn't get great results on my first attempt, but hopeful that with a tweaked protocol will improve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility.
Medication, monitoring, and the actual retrieval costs (anesthesia, etc), as well as the cost of freezing the eggs.
Robert Boostanfar

2012 - 2018, Successful
My first cycle in 2012 that resulted in my son, Dr. T [Toureman] was amazing, attentive, listened. We g above and beyond to help me achieve pregnancy. In 2018, I don’t know if it was because I was a returning patient. I didn’t feel like he was giving me 100%. Sometimes we would talk about a plan, then next time we meet he would say something totally different. I still think he is a great doctor I just didn’t feel confident this last time.
They [HRC - Encino] are prompt. Communication with coordinator could be better.... Monitoring is throughout the day. Dr. T [Tourgeman] was not there all day. But there is another doctor that will do it.... I had changed my number since 2012. When I went for me consult in 2018 I made sure to update. The front desk did not update in my hard copy file. When my coordinator order medicine she gave Pharmacy the wrong number. I called and asked them to change it. When it came time for egg retrieval the lab they had the OLD number.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
My first cycle in 2012 that resulted in my son, Dr. T was amazing, attentive, listened. We g above and beyond to help me achieve pregnancy. In 2018, I don’t know if it was because I was a returning patient. I didn’t feel like he was giving me 100%. Sometimes we would talk about a plan, then next time we meet he would say something totally different. I still think he is a great doctor I just didn’t feel confident this last time. Made me more disappointed when it didn’t work.
Ask a lot of questions. Take notes. He forgets what we talk about.
Dr. T is a genuine person. He truly cares about his patients. He has a calm and soft tone that makes us feel confident.
2012- follistim, menopur, ganerelix, progesterone. 2018- gonal-f, cetrotide, menopur, progesterone
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennie)
When she would talk to me about my meds she would refer to them as different medications. Confused me. Sometimes when I ask her to check on stuff she would forget. When I asked about my remaining embryos she didn’t call about updates and i was stressed out for an entire weekend after transfer.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
They are prompt. Communication with coordinator could be better. Doctor should not assume about returning patients I feel I should have acted as though I was new and not be pushed under the rug in a way.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
Monitoring is throughout the day. Dr. T was not there all day. But there is another doctor that will do it.
2012- 15k 2018-13k We had utilize their military discount which was offered in 2018
My choice if I wanted it or not. Always transfer 2. In 2012 after 4 cycles didn’t work he did transfer 3 embryos when I was 24 years told.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I had changed my number since 2012. When I went for me consult in 2018 I made sure to update. The front desk did not update in my hard copy file. When my coordinator order medicine she gave Pharmacy the wrong number. I called and asked them to change it. When it came time for egg retrieval the lab they had the OLD number. They had to call my husband while I was waiting near my phone all day. Something simple as changing your number couldn’t be done right. Which makes me feel like I fell through the cracks as a returning patient.
Encino

Dr. Ghazal answered every single one of my questions each time I spoke with her. She has a great bedside manner and she makes it a point to answer your questions in a very detailed manner, so that there is no confusion. She listened to my struggle, and responded in a compassionate manner. I did not feel as though she was trying to rush me out of her office.... The only downside is that I did not get much contact with her and everything is communicated through her nurses and coordinators.
Regarding the clinic [HRC- Fullerton], there seems to be people switching into new roles often within the office. When it seems as if you are going to do a procedure right away, they are very responsive to emails and other forms of communication. Yet, it seems as though if your procedure is not happening for a few months, they take longer to respond to emails (if at all).... The cost of treatment is clearly delineated in their forms, so you are not going in blind. They have one of the best labs in the nation.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Strengths: Dr. Ghazal is highly trained and has a lot of great experience in the field and she has the highest fertility rates in the clinic. When you ask her a question, she is straightforward, authentic, and detailed. When she shared information that I considered bad news for me, she was compassionate and did it in such a way that made me feel that there was hope for my situation. The only downside is that I did not get much contact with her and everything is communicated through her nurses and coordinators. Yet, when she did meet with you over the phone or in-person, she made you feel as though she was present with you and not trying to rush off to the next patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
If you want a doctor who will be available by phone or text or more available, Dr. Ghazal is not the one.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Sanaz Ghazal used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Because I am an older person, with great eggs but with numerous complications with my uterus, the goal was to try to go slightly more aggressive with my medications, so that I can produce a lot more eggs for my egg retrieval, in the hopes that when the eggs are fertilized, I can get the most genetically normal embryos possible. Then I would freeze these embryos, fix the problems with my uterus, and then do a frozen embryo transfer. The goal is to be successful in maintaining a pregnancy and reducing the chances of miscarriage. I believe the drug protocol is similar for most IVF cycles, just the dosage may be different. The overall goal is to have one successful IVF cycle with great outcomes in regard to have a number of genetically normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalijia)
Regarding the clinic, there seems to be people switching into new roles often within the office. When it seems as if you are going to do a procedure right away, they are very responsive to emails and other forms of communication. Yet, it seems as though if your procedure is not happening for a few months, they take longer to respond to emails (if at all).
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Weaknesses: They seem more responsive at the start of your process (consultation/diagnostic workup/treatment planning); yet if you wait a few months for the actual procedure, they seem less responsive to questions you might have. You can be on hold for a long time early in the morning. Financial people seem to change often. I would have preferred more direct contact with the RE to ask questions when they came to mind. Strengths include having a very well trained doctor (Dr. Ghazal) with great rates of success. The cost of treatment is clearly delineated in their forms, so you are not going in blind. They have one of the best labs in the nation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility.
For one cycle of IVF, including genetic screening of any embryos, and freezing embryos, I was looking at a bill around $21,000 out of pocket. This estimate also includes the price of fertility medications for the one cycle. You can also tack on an additional $2000 to 3000 for diagnostic procedures conducted prior to treatment planning. These are all out of pocket costs.
Describe Sanaz Ghazal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
My doctor had a strong preference for single embryo transfer, primarily because there is a higher success rate for a single embryo transfer. Also, she explained that if you place more than one embryo into the uterus, you never know whether one of those embryos will split and produce twins and triplets. So she wants to reduce the chance of multiple unexpected growing babies.
Sanaz Ghazal
Fullerton
2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
The first time in 2013 he [Dr. Tourgeman] was godsend. Everything was just amazing. When I recently saw him this year I didn’t feel the same. I felt like everything was vague. Maybe because I already went through s cycle and he knew me he didn’t need to be more attentive as I was a returning patient.... First cycle I had follistim with more eggs and second time we used gonal f and less eggs. Not sure if it made a difference but also I aged.
Front desk [HRC] did not update my number in my file. I called many times to make sure but it was never done. My nurse could never call me, Pharmacy was given wrong number but thankfully my email still worked.... Weakness would be communication. When I changed my number they didn’t update everywhere. When it came time for updates after retrieval they called a disconnected number. Dr.T is great and I still think highly of him. Just this past cycle I lost a little bit of confidence.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
The first time in 2013 he was godsend. Everything was just amazing. When I recently saw him this year I didn’t feel the same. I felt like everything was vague. Maybe because I already went through s cycle and he knew me he didn’t need to be more attentive as I was a returning patient.
Just make sure you are aware of everything. Ask lots of questions and he is ok with your opinions too.
He is very kind and gentle as a doctor and also went through IVF for his son. I knew he would be compassionate
First cycle I had follistim with more eggs and second time we used gonal f and less eggs. Not sure if it made a difference but also I aged. 5 years from 24 to 30. I wasn’t confident with medication change.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenny )
My nurse was quick to answer questions and emails. Towards the end of the cycle I felt that wasn’t the case. She would forget to do what she said she would. Make a phone call, follow up on certain things.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
Dr.T is there in the afternoons sometimes it was hard to get an early appointment which made my appointment last the entire day including drive time.
Sometimes they billed my insurance differently and in turn the insurance said I was responsible instead of them covering.
He believes that 2 is a good number to transfer for under 35.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Front desk did not update my number in my file. I called many times to make sure but it was never done. My nurse could never call me, Pharmacy was given wrong number but thankfully my email still worked.
Encino

We only talked to the doctor [Dr. Frederick] twice in a 13 month period...Dr. Frederick didn't contact us when we decided to use frozen eggs. She should've contacted us and reviewed the pros and cons of this route...Dr. Frederick was well aware of our finances and showed complete lack of compassion to us....Honestly how was I supposed to be hopeful when the doctor was so negative. After she transferred our 1 embroyo that made it after 5 days,
We only talked to our patient coordinator [at HRC] (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt...Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times....The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Since we only saw her twice in over a year I can't speak to her strengths. Maybe except she always got back to the nurse fairly quickly. After her giving the go ahead to use frozen donor eggs she only communicatedthat they had a lower success rate but proceeded since we were doing PGS testing. The day of our transfer she walked in and said "well frozen wasn't the way to go, the red flag was that we had to thaw 14 to get 5." That was the first thing she said to us! Then proceeded to say our embryo was a B/C grade and that she would go ahead and transfer it but the odds weren't good. Honestly how was I supposed to be hopeful when the doctor was so negative. After she transferred our 1 embroyo that made it after 5 days, and PGS testing she said "well if this doesn't work let's re-group and do a fresh transfer". I started crying uncontrollable how could she think we just had another $30,000 laying around! No compassion at all. Financially we opted for frozen eggs vs fresh because that's what we had to start a family. Dr. Frederick was well aware of our finances and showed complete lack of compassion to us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Make sure you're okay with only communicating to a nurse coordinator.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
We only talked to the doctor twice in a 13 month period. We only talked to our patient coordinator (who was amazing!) During each visit the tech who did my blood work and checked my uterine lining never knew what was going on with my appts. It felt like we were telling them what to do vs. them being aware of our appt.
Describe the protocols Jane Frederick used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I was put on birth control pills, progesterone in oil, estrace, and one more injection that I can't recall the name. My protocol made sense and everything went smoothly. My uterine lining was thick enough to move forward with a transfer. She did try and put me on a ton of supplements that I purchased once. When I was finished I went to Whole Foods and purchased my own.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Castillo Rubio)
Natalie was great, through in her communication, quick, compassionate, and always accommodated our appt times. I wish she was contracted so she could work with other doctors!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic was great. The only odd thing was that they always played kids movies in the waiting room. The surgical center where they do the transfer never had enough seating and for some reason there were a lot of children (not babies but children). The only time we had to wait longer than 10 minutes was the day of our transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility.
All of our fees were paid to the egg donor agency except the PGS testing fee which was $5,050
Describe Jane Frederick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
We only had 1embryo to transfer.
Newport Beach

Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was.... I felt like Dr. Frederick didn’t take the time to see what the best protocol would be for me. I felt like she had 2 protocols and she didn’t tailor the protocols to me. It felt like she didn’t take the time to do simple tests to see if there were any other issues that could be contributing to our infertility.
HRC has great facilities that are easily accessible. The facilities are very clean. The support staff and nurses were all very welcoming and make me feel comfortable, especially when I first went and was in uncomfortable positions 😬 One weakness is that the Newport Beach Office is more often than not running late.... Allyn Ann was absolutely amazing! I wish she were a fertility doctor so she could help us have a baby. She went above and beyond what an average nurse would do. Natalie was so great too. She was very responsive and compassionate. Highly recommend both.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was. She doesn’t have any bedside manners either, which is fine because my husband and I didn’t need the extra handholding. That being said, it would have been nice to have some compassion when none of our embryos passed genetic testing our first cycle or when we only had one healthy embryo the second cycle and then miscarried.
Don’t expect to have your protocol tailored to you and don’t expect her to have good bedside manners.
Honestly, I don’t remember because it was all a blur. However, it’s my understanding that she uses two protocols and she tried both on me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann and Natalie)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The costs for Dr. Frederick were about $20,000 and the medications were about $5,000
We only had one healthy embryo so we didn’t have a choice.
2006 - 2017, Unsuccessful
...The only negative with the follow-ups is that I feel like I am constantly re-living the past cycles and reminding him [Dr. Bradford Kolb] of what worked/didn't work, what he said about treatment changes, etc. We are currently undergoing (so far failed) IVF treatments with Dr. Kolb. He has been encouraging and hopeful the entire time we have been cycling with him. He has a calming and supportive bedside manner and I would recommend him to friends/family. Unfortunately all of treatment costs are out of pocket. It's devastating and heartbreaking each time it fails. I'm not sure if the doctors truly understand how difficult it is to just hand over, in our case tens of thousands of dollars, for something that has no guarantee of success at the end. As compassionate at Dr. Kolb is, I'm not sure he understands this aspect of treatments and how it influences the decisions we've had to m
Natalie [HRC nurse] is wonderful. She is kind, compassionate and understanding. She always responds to me as soon as possible when needed and answers (or finds the answers) I need in a timely manner...We are completely out of pocket so we have spent about $50,000 (IVFs in past and present). IVF cycles are about $10000 each, although they do have packages. FETs cost $3500. Drugs are separate and are charged through the pharmacy. They are several thousand each cycle. Surgery (hysteroscopy) was covered by my insurance. Pregnancy monitoring was not covered so I had to pay out of pocket for all of those.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
The first time I became a patient of Dr. Kolb was over 10 years ago. After years of infertility and multiple failed IUIs at another clinic, we decided to do IVF with Dr. Kolb. Our first IVF failed and Dr. Kolb changed our protocol. Second cycle failed as well. Dr. Kolb was great about getting us back in for a follow up appointment after each failed attempt and also giving us options going forward (i.e. We could change our approach and do GIFT or ZIFT). While on a treatment break, we miraculously conceived on our own. While we weren't technically under his treatment plan at the time, Dr. Kolb monitored us throughout the first trimester. Over 7 years later we returned for more treatments to try for another child after not being able to conceive on our own for all those years, again. Dr. Kolb seems to stay up to date on current treatments, testing, and research. He was very thorough, performing a hysteroscopy and running new blood tests, all of which came back great. I mentioned having a high ANA level at one time, as I was concerned it could effect cycle outcome, but he felt it didn't matter. I don't necessarily agree with this, but not all doctors believe that treating a high ANA makes a difference. I'm still not convinced of that, so I'd say that's one negative I personally feel about his treatment plans. He does prescribe Medrol, but I don't feel it's enough if there are immune issues going on with me. We then we started a new cycle with injections. It failed. Again. Dr. Kolb, was caring, as always, and re-evaluated our plan right away and added some meds (i.e. Lovenox). Our next cycle was an FET which was successful, but ended in a second trimester miscarriage (genetically normal baby). When I returned to his care again following the miscarriage, he immediately ordered a loss panel. This was helpful and thoughtful for me as you always want answers no matter what. Some doctors make you wait for a loss panel until several losses. The only negative with the follow-ups is that I feel like I am constantly re-living the past cycles and reminding him of what worked/didn't work, what he said about treatment changes, etc. We are currently undergoing (so far failed) IVF treatments with Dr. Kolb. He has been encouraging and hopeful the entire time we have been cycling with him. He has a calming and supportive bedside manner and I would recommend him to friends/family. Unfortunately all of treatment costs are out of pocket. It's devastating and heartbreaking each time it fails. I'm not sure if the doctors truly understand how difficult it is to just hand over, in our case tens of thousands of dollars, for something that has no guarantee of success at the end. As compassionate at Dr. Kolb is, I'm not sure he understands this aspect of treatments and how it influences the decisions we've had to make along the way.
Research treatments, possible problems that might impede success, and pay attention as you're cycling so that you are knowledgeable about choices and can ask for changes in protocol. I wish I would have adovocated more for myself when it comes to possible immune/high ANA issues.
Dr Kolb is a compassionate physician. He has great bed side manner and takes the time after failed cycles to follow up and go through what we could change. Sometimes I do feel as if he forgets pieces of my history, but I guess that's understandable with having several patients.
First cycle was injections with Lupron, delestrogen, progesterone injects, metformin and prednisone. Second, Centrotide was used instead of Lupron and heparin was added. Both produced highly fragmented day 3 embryos which resulted in a negative beta. When I returned this time around he has been having me use low-stim (hopes for better quality eggs), centrotide for a couple days before retrieval, then retrace progesterone, medrol and lovenox after retrieval or transfer (depending on the med). These past three cycle have been negative as well, although I do make it to blasts now (vs the cycles 10 years ago). Frozen transfer resulted in a pregnancy and I was on progesterone suppositories, estrace, medrol, lovenox, and delestrogen. Medrol is prescribed to try to prevent embryo rejection at transfer, lovenox to try to prevent blood clots and hopefully help with implantation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Pena)
Natalie is wonderful. She is kind, compassionate and understanding. She always responds to me as soon as possible when needed and answers (or finds the answers) I need in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is clean, beautiful and organized. The surgery center is on location so everything is done at one place (hsg, hysteroscopy, retrieval, transfer, etc). Waits can vary. Sometimes I'm seen right away, sometimes I have to wait, but I understand surgeries can take longer than expected.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
Monitoring appointments are available for several hours in the morning. You simply make an appt (usually at your previous appt). You sign in when you arrive and your name is called for you to go back into an exam room. Exam room are very nice.
Dr. Kolb always lets me decide (1 or 2), but recommends 2 embryos for each transfer because of my history. I agree with this approach in my case.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I've only ever had very minor issues. They have said they would call if any leftover embryos made it to freeze, but did not call. This last cycle, icsi was preformed on my eggs, but we do co-incubation.