6.9

Westlake Village, CA 91361
West Los Angeles
11500 Olympic Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90064

Dr. Ghazal is wonderful with patients. She explains thoroughly the process, always discusses the risks as well as the success rates. She does not sugar coat things. If she feels something is not going to give the best result she shared that with her patients. She is the best doctor I've ever had....I used a microdose lupron protocol for my first IVF cycle. For me Idid ok with an end result of two embryos. I did not get to transfer because they did not pass pgs testing. The next month I did my first IUI with Dr. Ghazal but had a NP do the procedure.
HRC took forever to get information to you from the nurses. They did not seem very compassionate but overly busy. They gave you your information then moved on... The nursing staff did not provide the kindness and care a fertility clinic should give. This is a challenging emotional time and it's like we're a number to them. They give us direct info (schedule, calendar, results) and then move on.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Be honest with her. Tell her your goals and fears so she can address them and discuss them with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Ghazal was incredible. She was direct in diagnosing but always showed care and compassion. I never felt like a number. I trust her judgement completely.
Describe the protocols Sanaz Ghazal used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I used a microdose lupron protocol for my first IVF cycle. For me Idid ok with an end result of two embryos. I did not get to transfer because they did not pass pgs testing. The next month I did my first IUI with Dr. Ghazal but had a NP do the procedure. It was an awful experience with the nurse and all I wanted was my doctor. Now I am at a new clinic where Dr. Ghazal has moved and am starting a new IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility.
My insurance covered 80%of my treatment so it was very doable for us cost wise.
Describe Sanaz Ghazal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
She openly shares what she thinks is best which is eSET but allows the patient to decide ultimately. However she will never do something that could be unhealthy or dangerous to the patient.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Yes, my initial blood work I had to go in twice because they ran the same test twice and didn't order the right second test. Again, during my ivf cycle I was waiting to hear if we would transfer and I didn't find out my embryos tested abnormal till an hour before my scheduled procedure. After they had already given me the wrong day for a transfer. So I ended up going twice to be told we aren't transferring. This was bad communication from my nurse coordinator Natalija.
Fullerton
Dr. Potter seems to be very inquisitive and likes to exhaust all avenues to see what could be causing infertility. Before we met him, he has my wife run some tests and that’s how he found out she’s insulin resistant, which could be a contributing factor to our infertility issues. He is running more tests before we do the retrieval and transfer to make sure we are able to have the best embryos possible and the best envinroment when we do the transfer. He definitely does not have a lot of emotions, however, that does not bother me or my wife. One frustrating issue is that he is late. He was an hour late for our first meeting.
The clinic [HRC-Fullerton] is very clean and in a good location. Overall, everyone is very friendly and the nurses were great with the u/s and drawing blood. The one weakness is the accounting department could be improved. There were a few misunderstandings about the fees and that was Frustrating.... Allyn Ann, our nurse practitioner, was beyond helpful. She was there for my wife when she had any questions and would take the time to explain the procedure and the results. She was extremely responsive. Natalija, our coordinator, is also very good. She is very responsive and explains the steps very well.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Don’t have the expectation to have your hand held through this process. However, he is very intelligent and the me that is more important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Potter took the time to see what issues my wife and I may have. He ultimately found out that my wife insulin resistant and that could have contributed to poor egg quality and our miscarriage. He is very straightforward and lacks a long of emotion.
Describe the protocols Daniel Potter used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
We haven’t started the procedures yet. We are waiting until I do the final testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and in a good location. Overall, everyone is very friendly and the nurses were great with the u/s and drawing blood. The one weakness is the accounting department could be improved. There were a few misunderstandings about the fees and that was Frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility.
I believe about $23,000.
Describe Daniel Potter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
We have not gotten to that point yet with Dr. Potter.
Fullerton

Dr. Ghazal was patient, caring, direct with her findings, and helpful...She explained everything to me and my husband and answered all our questions and concerns. We did our own research and would come to appointments asking her opinion. We always felt Dr. Ghazal gave honest feedback backed with the appropriate research for her opinion. She gave us time to process and recommendations as she saw fit...
[HRC is] High tech, efficient, timely, clean, comfortable. The staff is knowledgable and helpful. I found them to be more friendly when my transfer was successful and I went in for my ultrasounds compared to before my transfer. I felt like a number sometimes to the staff (NOT MY DOCTOR)...The nursing staff at HRC is helpful and efficient. They are not as friendly as I had wanted/hoped, but they did their jobs well...Egg retrieval with a fresh transfer and my specific meds: about $22,000. Frozen transfer with my specific meds: about $5,000.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Ghazal was knowledgable, friendly and helpful. I fully trusted her during all my treatments and believe she was always looking out for me and my future family. She explained everything to me and my husband and answered all our questions and concerns. We did our own research and would come to appointments asking her opinion. We always felt Dr. Ghazal gave honest feedback backed with the appropriate research for her opinion. She gave us time to process and recommendations as she saw fit.
Be direct and open to your expectations and wants. Ask questions.
Dr. Ghazal was patient, caring, direct with her findings, and helpful.
For my egg retrivals: I began birth control once my period started then I was given my schedule and ordered my meds. I had lupron in the am and then eventually menopur and gonal f in the evenings. I was also taking vitamin d, metformin, dha, folic acid, co-enzyme q10 and a prenatal. I had 4 ultrasound/lab appointments. My first retrieval yielded 29 eggs, 13 fertilized, 9 embryos on day 5, 5 normal embryos. For my fresh transfer I took progesterone vaginally and estradiol shots. My fresh transfer of 1 embryo resulted in a negative pregnancy test hcg= 0. My second retrieval yielded 25 eggs, 20 fertilized, 10 embryos on day 5, and 5 normal embryos. For my frozen transfers, I took lupron and baby aspirin as well as progesterone in oil shots and estradiol shots. I was taking a prenatal, metformin, vitamin d and dha vitamins. My first frozen transfer of 2 embryos resulted in a chemical pregnancy. My second frozen transfer of 2 embryos resulted in a twin pregnancy and I delivered twin boys in 2018.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalija )
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I liked the fact that it was my choice and Dr. Ghazal shared her opinion based on my ultrasounds and labs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
The only thing we had go wrong was that during our successful transfer the outside lab that read my results reported them wrong to HRC which caused a concern for my doctor. But it got straightened out immediately. Once I was released to my OBGYN, HRC didn't send my patient file when I requested. It took two different tries before my OBGYN got it.
Fullerton

Love that they have their own lab [at HRC - Fullerton] so they can do fresh transfers with PGS!!!...[Nurse] Natalie is amazing! She gave me all the information I desired, shows empathy and compassion. She even helped me transfer to a regular OB/GYN early because I could not afford all the ultrasounds as we have Kaiser HMO so nothing at HRC was covered. I still email her from time to time. Earlier this week I emailed her to ask about starting another cycle for a second baby and she answered it in minutes with the perfect amount of detail and did not mind my following up with questions to clarify...
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Doctor Potter did not have the most warm bedside manner, but he was honest and frank with us. He answered my questions and gave the in depth responses I desired. However, I did not feel like he remembered us even from the time frame between retrieval and transfer (6 days). He treated my husband and I both as important people involved in the decision process. We appreciated that as so many others in the infertility world seem to act as if only the woman matters. He was very confident and practical. He did not hide anything from us. My favorite thing he did was say "now take good care of that baby girl" as we were leaving after the transfer. It was so touching and made me feel like I was a mom, it makes me cry just thinking about it. We are planning on doing another cycle with him next year in hopes of getting a sibling for are dear daughter.
He may not have the warmest bedside manner, but he is good at his job and will listen to you and give you the information you need. I trust him implicitly because of these qualities.
The first nurse/coordinator I had, Natalija, did not give me the information I requested during our cycle- she told me I didn't need to know what my AF count or estradiol levels were because "it would stress me out." She said some nurses give that information, but she doesn't. Further along she wouldn't even acknowledge my questions for clarification on things and simply tell me to look at the materials provided (which I had ALREADY looked at and did not have the information I wanted). I later switched to a different nurse/coordinator, Natalie, and she gave me the in depth information I was seeking. She continues to treat me as a valued person even though I am currently not in treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: First Natalija, then Natalie-- I will answer with Natalie in mind)
Natalija was nice and sympathetic, however, she did not want to give me details or detailed answers to my questions. Several email exchanges will show she didn't even always read what my questions were before answering. The 4th time that my interaction with her had me in tears and feeling incredibly angry I called and spoke to her supervisor and requested another nurse/coordinator. At that point they gave me Natalie. Natalie is amazing! She gave me all the information I desired, shows empathy and compassion. She even helped me transfer to a regular OB/GYN early because I could not afford all the ultrasounds as we have Kaiser HMO so nothing at HRC was covered. I still email her from time to time. Earlier this week I emailed her to ask about starting another cycle for a second baby and she answered it in minutes with the perfect amount of detail and did not mind my following up with questions to clarify. I'm keeping her forever!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Love that they have their own lab so they can do fresh transfers with PGS!!!
We spent at total of $17,000 including medications for ICSI, IVF, ultrasounds, PGS, and first 2 betas. ICSI was about $1200, anesthesia was $400, Meds we $3,400.
We did not have a conversation regarding this as two of our three embryos that made it were found to have chromosomal abnormalities leaving us with only one option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Our first nurse/coordinator Natalija gave us conflicting information compared to what our doctor said a few times that I had to clarify. It was good I had taken notes because I wouldn't have caught it otherwise. Once asked she would check and what my notes said were correct. The clinic routinely failed to call the correct phone number with our results, no matter how many times we told them to call my husbands cell phone and not mine. Each time they'd say they were sorry and they would make a note of it. This added a lot of stress because they kept calling my cell that was not receiving all calls or taking voicemails at the time. When I'd finally get ahold of them Natalija's (our coordinator) assistant/co-worker Rose would say "oh, you finally called back. You really should have returned our call earlier!" 😡 When we switched coordinators to Natalie the information never conflicted and my husbands cell was called first as we had requested.
Fullerton
Potter is straight to the point. There is no fluff in his demeanor or bed side manner. If you have a question, he will answer it straight up. He’s definitely not someone I would recommend to my friends that need more TLC...Because we completed PGS testing, he said if we wanted twins...place two embryos but explained risks...Be ready with your questions when you first meet him and don’t expect fluff
The [HRC Fertility] clinic team made me like they cared for my results genuinely...There’s multiple locations in the area so it was convenient for a working person that needs to get multiple lab draws. The clinics were clean and organized. The doctors aren’t always on site so you don’t have access to them but the care coordinators are always available...[nurse] Amanda has been amazing and genuine. I can’t say enough great things about her.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Be ready with your questions when you first meet him and don’t expect fluff
The clinic team made me like they cared for my results genuinely
For my first cycle, we were going for a fresh embryo transfer. We didn’t know any better and Dr. Potter felt like we were good candidates since it was male infertility factor. The clinic was able to perform PGS testing prior to transferring the embryo which is something not a lot of clinics can offer. For my FET, I was on lupron for 21 days prior to starting estradiol and then progesterone IM and suppositories for a week prior to transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Seller )
Amanda has been amazing and genuine. I can’t say enough great things about her.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
We received a veterans discount so one full cycle was $12,300 without medications.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Ghazal is a highly knowledgeable individual. She is on top of the current research and statistics. She is straight forward and doesn't sugar coat the possibilities or outcomes. As well as, supportive and compassionate. This process in itself is very stressful, Dr. Ghazal is always very calming and caring. She was always easy to talk to and ask questions. She never mad me fell like I was bothering her or asking dumb questions. My relationship with Dr. Ghazal was very open because she's very personable.
Stay on top of the office staff. [at HRC - Fullerton] ... Hystroscopes were $500 each partial insurance coverage. 24,000 for two cycle retrieval, pgs testing, and transfer. There were other expenses along the way. Medications were separate. Ultrasounds once pregnant are $270...Face to face encounters with [nurse] Natalija she was very personable and responsive. Over the phone is would add stress and was many times unclear and didn't answer all our concerns. Email was about the same as on phone. She mixed me up a few times.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Stay on top of the office staff.
Dr. Ghazal is very personal and knew me very well. I can't say that for the rest of clinic, but she is exceptional.
Metformin and Levothyroxine leading up to cycles and continued throughout. Injectable stimulation lupin, menapour, and 1 other. Two egg retival cycle, with PGS testing. Transferred 1 chromosomal healthy embryo. Currently pregnant, but may be loosing. :(
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalija Matic)
Face to face encounters with Natalija she was very personable and responsive. Over the phone is would add stress and was many times unclear and didn't answer all our concerns. Email was about the same as on phone. She mixed me up a few times. Nursing staff at RSA for all procedures were exceptional!
Didn't have a choice. Only 1 embryo resulted in healthy.
Fullerton
Dr. Ghazal is very compassionate and caring. She made us feel very comfortable. She always explained the procedure and protocol thoroughly...Dr.Ghazal is very professional and knowledgeable.She always answered all our questions and explained our procedure in details. We worked with her for a whole year, unfortunately, it did not work due to poor egg quality...After my chemical pregnancy, I was not scheduled for blood work if my betas went back to zero.
Our first [HRC] coordinator Natalija was not compassionate and never answered our questions and impossible to get ahold via phone or email. Our second coordinator Natalie was the opposite and always answered in a timely manner. She made us very comfortable working with her. We would highly recommend her. The nursing staff at the Surgery Center is amazing!..Good lab, nice office in Newport Beach. The staff in Fullerton office is sometimes disorganized (forgot to put our appointment into a system, and waisted our time coming to the clinic when the doctor was already gone for the day). We preferred working with the Newport office.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Do your best not to work with Dr. Ghazal's coordinator Natalija and request for another one from the beginning
Gonal F, Menopur, Centrotide Metformin and Omnitrope
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
Our first coordinator Natalija was not compassionate and never answered our questions and impossible to get ahold via phone or email. Our second coordinator Natalie was the opposite and always answered in a timely manner. She made us very comfortable working with her. We would highly recommend her. The nursing staff at the Surgery Center is amazing!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Our IVF and medication were partially covered by health insurance
Only had one normal embryo in three IVF's
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
After my chemical pregnancy, I was not scheduled for blood work if my betas went back to zero. One medication prescription was not ordered on time and had to remind our coordinator that we are still missing it.
Fullerton

[Dr. Sanaz Ghazal] is superwoman. She was highly empathetic in her approach during all of our meetings. I felt safe throughout the procedures (she did polyp removal, egg retrieval, and transfer). She never promised that anything would work, but seemed to believe that it could, which was enough to keep us going...Always led every meeting with an underlying understanding of our struggle.
I thought [HRC Fertility] was very good. I liked their Newport office more than Fullerton and luckily was able to do most things there. Closer to home as well. They were pretty straightforward with payment and such...Natalia [nurse] was her name, I believe. She started out a little gruff and seemingly overwhelmed maybe?? But by the end we developed rapport and I thought she was great.
How was your experience with Sanaz Ghazal at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Ghazal is superwoman. She was highly empathetic in her approach during all of our meetings. I felt safe throughout the procedures (she did polyp removal, egg retrieval, and transfer). She never promised that anything would work, but seemed to believe that it could, which was enough to keep us going. Of course the fact that it did work made everything better. I went back after my daughter was born to visit the clinic and the lab...the gratitude for everyone who helped us become parents was overwhelming. We are forever grateful. We are about to try for round two in the coming months.
Hang in there. If you're at a fertility clinic, you're in a hard spot. Hang in there. Good luck. It's not really advice, it's more just I feel for them.
She was amazing. Always led every meeting with an underlying understanding of our struggle. Even though we were one of the lucky ones for whom fertility treatment worked, it was still a fairly long process and she was an amazing support to go through it with.
I do not remember the specifics of the treatment cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalia)
Natalia was her name, I believe. She started out a little gruff and seemingly overwhelmed maybe?? But by the end we developed rapport and I thought she was great.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I thought HRC was very good. I liked their Newport office more than Fullerton and luckily was able to do most things there. Closer to home as well. They were pretty straightforward with payment and such. No real issues that I remember.
Egg retrieval ~8K? Genetic testing ~5k? Transfer - ?? Medication - 5k?
We did not have the option, although I believe I remember Dr. Ghazal suggesting that we NOT do multiple if given the opportunity?? I'm not sure.
Fullerton

I asked [Dr. Jane Frederick] about transfering 2 embryos however she was very specific based on my age and previous miscarriage she would only transfer one...was very helpful in understanding what was going on with us and also made sure to go over everything with us. I never felt like a number with her and she really cared for us...She would answer emails very quickly and was very responsive even outside business hours. We will be starting another round soon and she has been very helpful with explaining what will change and what we can do on top of the meds.
Liz was my coordinator for the retreival and Michelle was my coordinator for the transfer [at HRC]. Words can't describe how amazing they both are. So friendly, compassionate and polite. They helped answer any dumb questions that I had and we're just amazing!!...Retreival $21,500 +$3,000 retreival medicine (we had the embryos tested PGD and PGS) Transfer $3,800 + $1,000 transfer meds...HRC had everything down to a science. Blood work, scans and meetings all take place upstairs and the retreival and transfer are downstairs. They do their best to always make sure you are very comfortable!
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
The first meeting with Dr. Frederick she was really knowledgeable and asked us to get genetic testing. As soon as we got results it actually changed our plans. We then started IVF and she was there doing everything with us. She would answer emails very quickly and was very responsive even outside business hours. We will be starting another round soon and she has been very helpful with explaining what will change and what we can do on top of the meds.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
She is a bit blunt but I am a fan of that when it comes to medical. I want someone to tell me how it is. If you need something a bit more sugar coated then she may not be for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr Frederick was very helpful in understanding what was going on with us and also made sure to go over everything with us. I never felt like a number with her and she really cared for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Liz and Michelle)
Liz was my coordinator for the retreival and Michelle was my coordinator for the transfer. Words can't describe how amazing they both are. So friendly, compassionate and polite. They helped answer any dumb questions that I had and we're just amazing!!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility.
Describe Jane Frederick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
I asked about transfering 2 embryos however she was very specific based on my age and previous miscarriage she would only transfer one.
Newport Beach

Dr. Coffler explained in realistic and understandable terms a plan of treatment and step by step how to get there. His confidence and understanding immediately set me at ease as a patient...He was able to give me a clear roadmap from our first consultation . This was so helpful because my anxiety and worries were lessened through the process...frozen embryo transfer with a donor embryo. I started with Lupron then went to estrace and PIO, along with baby Aspirin and endometrium. It worked!
HRC was a wonderful experience for me...I was given a calendar to follow and someone was always available to help if I needed it. They made sure I received each of my medications on time and also made sure that I knew how to use each of them correctly. All in all, They did their best to make my experience positive and stress free...Angel [nurse] is just amazing. I can not count the number of times I messaged her with questions and concerns and as busy as I know she is, she would always take the time to respond.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
What struck me about Mr. Coffler was his honesty and straightforwardness from day one one what exactly I needed to do in order to improve my odds. He was able to give me a clear roadmap from our first consultation . This was so helpful because my anxiety and worries were lessened through the process. With his assistance and guidance I just found out that I am pregnant! I know beyond a shadow of doubt this would not have been the case without the great care and guidance I received and I am forever grateful !
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Remember he is an expert in his field, take the time to ask questions and understand your treatment plan. There is a reason for each step.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Mickey Coffler used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I did a frozen embryo transfer with a donor embryo. I started with Lupron then went to estrace and PIO, along with baby Aspirin and endometrium. It worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Angel Calfee)
Angel is just amazing. I can not count the number of times I messaged her with questions and concerns and as busy as I know she is, she would always take the time to respond.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC was a wonderful experience for me. We started contact in December 2020 and by June I am expecting my little one . I was given a calendar to follow and someone was always available to help if I needed it. They made sure I received each of my medications on time and also made sure that I knew how to use each of them correctly. All in all, They did their best to make my experience positive and stress free.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility.
My costs were 11550 total
Describe Mickey Coffler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
We elected set because he felt it would be a better choice for me.
Mickey Coffler
Newport Beach

The first time we met with Dr. Becht, she listened to all of our concerns and answered our questions. She gave us space to discuss our concerns and addressed our concerns directly...provided us with fact-based information about our chances of becoming pregnant...Throughout this process, Dr. Becht has been extremely supportive and available... recommended single embryo transfers
...two [HRC Fertility] clinics thus it makes it easy to schedule to whatever is more convenient distance wise. Both clinics are easily accessible with no problems in finding either one and no issues with parking...[nurse] Dorothy, was very helpful in explaining how to administer medications. She was also the one to do most of my lab draws and it was pretty painless...Treatment protocol: $16,870; Medications: $4205.65
How was your experience with Lisa Becht at HRC Fertility?
During our first visit, Dr. Becht broke down the results of our lab work so that we could understand why we were struggling with our fertility. She provided us with fact-based information about our chances of becoming pregnant given our ages, current health, and our fertility conditions so that we had an understanding of what was possible. We were able to ask all of our questions and she provided us with our options. When we left our first appointment, we felt that we could make an informed decision about our IVF journey and we felt extremely comfortable with Dr. Becht and her expertise. At each appointment, Dr. Becht asked how I was feeling both emotionally and physically, what questions I had, and provided me with detailed information about what she saw during my ultrasounds. Although everything was going well up to that point, she was very realistic about the number of eggs we had as seen on the ultrasounds, yet she remained hopeful throughout this process. We unfortunately did not have any embryos that could be transferred. Dr. Becht informed me and was very empathetic. She mentioned that she would be available to answer questions that we had, provide support regarding the next steps, and talk about a next cycle when we were ready. We recently reached out to Dr. Becht to find out what we could do if we were to do another cycle to improve our chances of becoming pregnant, and she quickly responded giving us some suggestions regarding supplements and acupuncture. Throughout this process, Dr. Becht has been extremely supportive and available.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Becht at HRC Fertility?
Discuss any concerns or worries you have. This is an overwhelming process and Dr. Becht is conscious of that--by sharing what concerns/worries you have she can directly discuss those with you and hopefully ease this process a bit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Becht at HRC Fertility?
As we started our journey into fertility treatments, we were scared, uncertain, and frustrated that this was going to be our path to starting a family. We had had a terrible experience with another doctor and were very skeptical about new doctors. The first time we met with Dr. Becht, she listened to all of our concerns and answered our questions. She gave us space to discuss our concerns and addressed our concerns directly. Throughout our treatment, my partner and I felt so comfortable with Dr. Becht. because she was so empathetic and understanding. She took her time to talk to us during our appointments.
Describe the protocols Lisa Becht used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I was on the DP antagonist with no oral contraceptive protocol. This was due to my lab work for Luteinizing hormone and Anti-Müllerian hormone. I was on Follistim and Menopur subcutaneous injections for 9 days. With ultrasounds and lab work conducted 4 times during the injection period. On the 9th day of treatment, I took the trigger shot and two days later had my egg retrieval. During egg retrieval, I had 11 eggs: six were not mature. Only 2 of the eggs made it to the 5 day, but one had abnormal growth. The second one was fertilized and had chromosomal abnormalities when tested. Thus, we did not make it past the egg retrieval phase.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dorothy Xicohtencatl)
The nurse that works with Dr. Becht, Dorothy, was very helpful in explaining how to administer medications. She was also the one to do most of my lab draws and it was pretty painless. The only small issue we had was that the person making appointments made an error regarding days that Dr.Becht was available, but we were able to reschedule all of the appointments without a problem.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Dr. Becht works from two clinics thus it makes it easy to schedule to whatever is more convenient distance wise. Both clinics are easily accessible with no problems in finding either one and no issues with parking.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Becht at HRC Fertility.
Treatment protocol: $16,870; Medications: $4205.65
Describe Lisa Becht's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Not sure about this as we did not make it to this stage of treatment. But overall she recommended single embryo transfers.
Lisa Becht
Newport Beach
We only transferred one embryo. He said transferring two is not a good idea unless we had a strong desire for twins...He seems calm, focused and unhurried and gave me all of the attention and time I needed for each visit...The last ultrasound I saw Dr. Potter and he was about 15 minutes late but spent time going over my results and what to expect..
It was busy every time I had an appointment. Most of my monitoring visits were with the ultrasound tech. The phlebotomists were all really good. It was really efficient and I was in and out usually in 30 minutes...We got quick email responses [from the HRC Fertility nurses] to questions usually within an hour but always the same day...It was about $24,000 including meds, pre-testing, anesthesia, and all the IVF fees including the FET cycle,
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Potter was very warm empathetic. He made my husband and I comfortable. I think it helps that he has been through IVF as a patient. He was highly recommended as the Dr with the best success rates and he delivered for us.
Dr. Potter is busy and I had to wait 30 minutes for one of my appointments. It is worth the wait though. He seems calm, focused and unhurried and gave me all of the attention and time I needed for each visit.
The staff and Dr. Potter were warm and friendly. Sr. Potter seemed genuinely interested and invested in me and the outcome of my treatment. Stephannie was good at getting back to me right away when I emailed questions.
Dr. Potter performed a thorough evaluation. He recommended tests that my first doctor did not. I was found to have insulin resistance which was not considered by my first MD or my OB. I was on 1menopur and 150 of Follistim. I took Ganerelix towards the end and triggered with Lupron. We got 17 eggs, 12 fertilized. We had 5 normals after genetic testing. We froze all the embryos and came back the following month. We had excellent embryo quality. We delivered at health boy!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephannie)
Stephannie was in contact with me most days during the stimulation. We got quick email responses to questions usually within an hour but always the same day
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
It is a beautiful modern facility. It was clean and well decorated. It was busy every time I had an appointment. Most of my monitoring visits were with the ultrasound tech. The phlebotomists were all really good. It was really efficient and I was in and out usually in 30 minutes. The last ultrasound I saw Dr. Potter and he was about 15 minutes late but spent time going over my results and what to expect. The front desk seemed inexperienced.
It was about $24,000 including meds, pre-testing, anesthesia, and all the IVF fees including the FET cycle, genetic testing of the embryos and freezing. Storage for one year was included.
We only transferred one embryo. He said transferring two is not a good idea unless we had a strong desire for twins. He said that the pregnancy rate was close to 80% with one embryo of the quality we had (5bb).
Newport Beach

Their [HRC Fertility] encrypted message system had problems. It only worked for certain employees, it was frustrating extra work getting medical records and lab results to them initially...I do feel like she [nurse] cared about me. She found me on my lining check day to wish me luck and give me a hug. She also e-mailed me about my negative beta, and responded with empathy
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Simply put, we paid Dr. Frederick $41,631.68 for 10 dead embryos. We'd had prior success with Dr. Nelson at HRC Pasadena, which I will review separately. We switched to Dr. Frederick in OC because it was a far distance to the Pasadena office where Dr. Nelson is. When we had our initial consultation with her, we told her that this would be our last try, and asked her if she recommended that we use donor eggs. She said that she didn't think it was necessary, and recommended trying with my own eggs. She insisted that we do PGS, which we did not agree with, and I've previously stated. We considered going back to Dr. Nelson, but decided to go forward with the treatment with her. At my saline sonogram, a 2 cm intermural fibroid was identified by the tech. She stated that she wanted to do a freeze all cycle for PGS, so she would address the fibroid via hysteroscopy after "the harvest." This essentially took any fresh transfer of untested embryos off the table for us and limited our options to those that she'd already chosen for us. She recommended ICSI due to my husband's age, even though his SA came back good. IVF #1- Antagonist protocol- Follistim 450, Menopur 75, Ganrelix 250x2, and Doxycycline. 7 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 2 biopsied and frozen for PGS. I asked to be informed about how many embryos that I still had on day 5 before they took a biopsy because if it was fewer than 4, it would not be a cost effective choice, I would just transfer all embryos. I was refused that information about my own embryos by Dr. Frederick. She would not give the report until after the biopsy. She is completely inethical. At that point, I could refuse PGS, but my embryos were already damaged and the cells already taken. Since I only had 2 embryos to PGS test, Dr. Frederick recommended we do another retrieval cycle and send the additional embryos together to be PGS tested at once. Since we wanted to maximize our chances, and we felt that the PGS testing fee was so high that we needed to check more embryos, we agreed to do another IVF retrieval. IVF#2- Lupron microdose Flare 40mcg/0.2mcg with Omnitrope 5.8 units, Follistim 450, Ovidrel 250x2. 8 retrieved, 6 fertilized, 2 sent to PGS. PGS results: one normal female three abnormal males. The normal embryo was from the first retrieval. Hysteroscopy: She determined that she had no need to remove my intermural fibroid, but advocated timely transfer in case it became large enough to affect implantation. She repeated over and over. "You only have one embryo", even on my transfer day. And yet, she did not recommend an ERA, even when I asked her, she said that she didn't think I'd need one. Transfer. I was unhappy with the scarcity of labs done for my transfer. Progesterone was not checked at baseline, only estrogen, and again at my lining check, only estrogen. She was not specific about the timing of starting the progesterone in oil, or the timing of when I would do my shot. I know that this timing and level is important for uterine receptivity. I felt like she had my money and she was going to do as little monitoring as possible for it. Since the FET failed, she could blame my body for it. My lining was an 8 at lining check. When I voiced my concerns that it was too thin, she pushed my concerns aside. On day 4 post transfer I found my embryo in my underwear and my beta was less than 2. At my post appointment she was ready to take more money- to do more cycles with us, or do donor eggs or donor embryos. I told her, "We are done." She failed. I also mentioned donor cycles in CZ, and that seemed to hit a button with her. She said, "We don't know how those people are screened." We are now facing the emotional and financial loss. Even if we did have the resources to continue, it would not be with her.
Find someone else. Anyone else would probably be better.
Dr. Frederick heard me, but she didn't listen. We had no say in the trajectory of our treatment. For example, when we told her that we did not want to do PGS because we felt that it is morally wrong for us, she did not respond, but later had her assistant tell us that she would not give us treatment if we did not do it. We also had to agree to allow the clinic to destroy our abnormal embryos in order to do the PGS that we did not want to do. Besides just being a number, she took away our rights over our own embryos. It was also very difficult to get information about what sort of chances that the treatment would have from her or why she was recommending the protocols that she was recommending, for example, why an 8mm lining was acceptable for transfer to her.
Describe the protocols Jane Frederick used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I mentioned this already, but the reason that she said that she wanted to change protocols is that she was hoping that the Lupron flare would yield more embryos. Unfortunately, we had the same amount, and the 2 from that cycle were PGS abnormal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle and Liz)
Liz was nice, although she was the voice of Dr. Frederick in most cases, and I do feel like she cared about me. She found me on my lining check day to wish me luck and give me a hug. She also e-mailed me about my negative beta, and responded with empathy. Michelle was disorganized and did a rather poor job of delivering the bad news of my negative beta. Her FET med protocol sheet was confusing to follow. because of the way it was formatted, I misunderstood the instructions missed the first 3 days of Estrodial. When I realized what had happened, I contacted her, and she reached out to Dr. Frederick, who said, just follow the instructions as of today, and don't try to make up the missed doses. When she gave me the bad news, I can't say specifically what she did wrong, but just that she really didn't seem to know what to say. No empathy. She passed me off to Erika via e-mail to schedule my follow up appointment, and Erika didn't respond. So, I had to wait about a week without an idea of when my closure would come. It took an email to all of them stating that I was unhappy with the way that it was handled for Erika to follow through. Also, many of the phlebotomists at this location seem inexperienced. At many of my labs blood draws, many of them poked me more than once to get a vein. One phlebotomist poked me three times trying to find my vein and I became dizzy, and started to pass out twice. Another phlebotomist had to step in after I'd had juice and sat with my head below heart level.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC Newport (OC) has relatively good SART scores. That was one of the reasons, besides the close to home location that made me choose it. If you are a glutton for financial and emotional punishment, having your concerns ignored, and being batched out on birth control pill with many other patients, then this is where you need to go.
$41,631.68 out of pocket
She repeated "you only have one embryo to transfer". How negative.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Their encrypted message system had problems. It only worked for certain employees, it was frustrating extra work getting medical records and lab results to them initially. Daisy the onboarding coordinator kept referring me to Liz to get medical records to the office, and Liz wasn't responding. We paid $18,000 cash out of pocket for my first retrieval over the phone ahead of time and they asked for $18,000 again when I went in for the baseline. Jessica in the financial department had made a clerical error and the payment was missing. There are more things that went wrong. I was understanding and assertive about it, and approached the staff with kindness and a sense of humor to make working together go smoother.
Newport Beach

Was told that if I didn't pay...$2000 out-of-pocket for genetic testing, Dr. Potter would want to transfer multiple embryos as "part of his standard protocol"....When I asked why I wasn't given Lupron in the luteal phase, to prevent early follicle recruitment, was told "that's not the doctor's standard protocol." So, I lost my chance at a fresh transfer cycle. When my 2nd cycle was canceled for lining thickness, I asked why I went a whole 2nd week on estrogen when my lining was already a good thickness at day 7 monitoring appointment. Again, I was told that it's Dr. Potter's standard protocol to do at least 14 days of estrogen.
2 cycles canceled [at HRC] due to being put on "standard protocol" and not accounting for age / typical cycle data, and more-or-less ignoring the evolved industry best practices (i.e., recommending multiple embryo transfer, 14+ days of estrogen exposure prior to progesterone). Also, tried to do some wonky thing where, even though I'd already paid a flat fee (Shared Hope cycle) that covered my portion of the donor's medications, the clinic attempted to charge the full donor medication prescriptions to my insurance.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
If you want a laissez faire experience, Dr. Potter is great. You have 1 initial consult with him and never hear from him directly again - not even after 2 failed transfer cycles. He asked me a couple of questions, asked me what questions I had for him, and then told my nurse the next day what additional tests he wanted from me: Vitamin D and prolactin, mammogram, etc. I suppose that's more efficient, but it's better to talk to your patient about why you want those tests done. I went and had labs drawn as requested, but I was taking 5000 IUs of Vitamin D, and had told someone on his staff before - thus, it was in my chart.
Talk to your patients. Customize treatments to get the best results. When you're dealing with donor eggs, understand the bulk of your clientele aren't young. Consider that when conceiving of your new standard protocols. Consider industry best practice (elective single embryo transfers) before handing out orders through your nurses. 2 embryos just has a greater chance of multiple births, it's no longer considered an industry best practice.
2 failed cycle attempts so far. Both were avoidable. When I asked why I wasn't given Lupron in the luteal phase, to prevent early follicle recruitment, was told "that's not the doctor's standard protocol." So, I lost my chance at a fresh transfer cycle. When my 2nd cycle was canceled for lining thickness, I asked why I went a whole 2nd week on estrogen when my lining was already a good thickness at day 7 monitoring appointment. Again, I was told that it's Dr. Potter's standard protocol to do at least 14 days of estrogen. So far, the "standard protocols" aren't working for me. And some of the standard protocols explained ahead of time - like 2 embryos transferred when no genetic testing is done - aren't even industry best practice any more. Case studies indicate that live birth rates plateau once a patient has at least 9 days of exposure to estrogen; birth rates begin to decline at 13+ days. 3 days of bed rest after transfer is also his standard protocol, and a practice no longer recommended. He just seems out of date and not willing to change or consider other courses of treatment. I really don't understand the point of monitoring at all if my treatment plan wouldn't be adjusted based on how my body is reacting to the medications.
20cc of lupron starting on Day 3 of birth control pills. Early follicle recruitment, failed. 20cc of lupron starting after confirmed ovulation; Cut down to 10cc on day 10 Day 10, start estradiol valorate .2cc every 3 days Result: uterine lining too thick on day 14 to see feathering effect. cycle canceled. 10 days of progesterone to "reboot".
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie was very kind, compassionate and usually available. I would have to ask multiple times for basic things like schedules, monitoring orders (out of state monitoring patient). Would leave VM and have to follow up with her via email.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Nice facility in a great location. Will work with outside monitoring facilities for out of state patients. Seem a bit disconnected from a financial aspect; requires full cycle payment (FET) up front, despite benefits / insurance coverage. Financial people don't communicate well and were lousy at being able to check my insurance benefits - told me I had no coverage when I knew I did. Just constantly had to micromanage them despite my desire for them to be more proactive about my care.
$6500 for embryo transfer cycle - had to pay all up front, regardless of in-network insurance benefits.
Was told that if I didn't pay &gt;$2000 out-of-pocket for genetic testing, Dr. Potter would want to transfer multiple embryos as "part of his standard protocol". I said no.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I would have to ask 2-3 times for orders to be faxed / sent, would have to ask multiple times for dosage schedules, often receiving the day I was to start medication A or B. I went to a monitoring appointment (outside monitoring for out of state patient) and despite having been told the order had been sent the previous Thursday (it was Wednesday almost a week later), I showed up to find out the orders hadn't been received. With the time difference, we just had to follow the prior order(s) - from the previous, failed cycle. 2 cycles canceled due to being put on "standard protocol" and not accounting for age / typical cycle data, and more-or-less ignoring the evolved industry best practices (i.e., recommending multiple embryo transfer, 14+ days of estrogen exposure prior to progesterone). Also, tried to do some wonky thing where, even though I'd already paid a flat fee (Shared Hope cycle) that covered my portion of the donor's medications, the clinic attempted to charge the full donor medication prescriptions to my insurance.
Newport Beach

Dr. Frederick is compassionate and direct and that's two qualities I definitely want in a fertility doctor. She has a confidence that also makes me feel that I am in good hands. ... with Dr. Frederick I feel she hears me and is accessible. ... She met with me prior to egg retrieval and shared "Don't worry, I will take very good care of you" and that stuck with me, it was what I needed to hear, her confidence.
It's a very well organized clinic. They can get busy later in the day but I usually book the earliest appointment available and I haven't had any issues with waiting too long. The financial department was slightly slower in responding to my questions when comparing to the rest of their staff. ... I was able to book my monitoring appointments at my convenience, so I made the appointments for as soon as they opened and it seemed smooth to me.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Frederick is compassionate and direct and that's two qualities I definitely want in a fertility doctor. She has a confidence that also makes me feel that I am in good hands. In comparison to a previous doctor I was seeing, I felt I was always questioning him and advocating for myself, with Dr. Frederick I feel she hears me and is accessible.
You'll be in good hands with Dr. Frederick.
I appreciated her being so matter of fact with us. Our previous fertility doctor was nice but also seemed to not give us the guidance we were looking for and Dr. Frederick has given us the guidance and confidence with this process. She met with me prior to egg retrieval and shared "Don't worry, I will take very good care of you" and that stuck with me, it was what I needed to hear, her confidence.
I began with birth control on my 3rd day of my menstrual cycle and about 5 weeks later of all active birth control pills I stopped taking it. Had a baseline appointment to go over medications and any other questions I may have had. 5 days later I began Follistim 375IU and Menopur 1 vial for 10 days each at 7:30pm. I visited the doctor's office 3 times for ultrasound and blood lab. I started Ganirelix at 7am for 4 days on day 6 of medications. Had my 3rd, last appointment before egg retrieval which was 4 days later and reviewed medications and expectations for egg retrieval day. I took Ovidrel 35 hours before scheduled egg retrieval and began doxycycline (antibiotic) 1 day before egg retrieval. They were able to retrieve 24 eggs. 17 of those eggs were mature and 17 eggs were successfully fertilized. 14 embryos came from the 17 and our final number after PGS was 7 embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
Liz was compassionate and a great communicator. She encouraged questions and took her time with us when going over protocol and medications. It felt like she genuinely cared about us.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
I believe it's more expensive than other clinics, however, what Dr. Frederick has provided to my husband and I is definitely worth it.
n/a, embryo transfer will be happening in June 2019
Newport Beach

HRC in Newport Beach is an excellent clinic. Everything was efficient, comfortable and patient-friendly. I felt at ease when in their offices. I was coming from out of state and they are very used to dealing with out of state and international patients...The nursing staff were extremely responsive, helpful, and compassionate....
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Potter is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. We wanted to go with the best and we knew his lab would also be excellent. He is very busy and would sometimes be running late for appointments but he was always pleasant, thorough, understanding and direct. He is also sympathetic to individuals who may have a gender preference and did not make us feel badly for wanting to try for a specific gender. My experience as a patient was excellent. We got the results we wanted and couldn’t be more pleased.
He may be a bit late for appointments because he is highly sought after and doesn’t rush his patients. He has a direct manner and will answer any questions you have. We really appreciated that he wasn’t afraid to give us “predictions” and they all turned out to be correct.
While Dr. Potter is extremely sought after and busy, I never felt rushed during our conversations. After my embryo transfers, he would stay back and chat with me. I appreciated that he spent that extra time with me.
I prepared for my frozen embryo transfers with Crinone taken daily and estradiol injections every three days. I much prefer to have estradiol injections every three days and take Crinone suppositories vaginally. This protocol worked well for me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
The nursing staff were extremely responsive, helpful, and compassionate.
Newport Beach

During our consultation, he seemed distracted and had not prepared or gone over our records from our first round of IVF. He doesn't do any of the ultrasounds himself...On the day of the retrieval, Dr. Potter was over an hour late as usual. Once we got the PGS report (all abnormal embryos), my ivf coordinator called instead of Dr. Potter himself and she couldn't answer any questions. I had to wait over a month to speak to him regarding the cycle.
There was a day where I didn't receive a call for direction on my meds so I called the office and my IVF coordinator [at HRC Fertility] was out for the day. There was no one on-call and I had to just hope she would check her email when she got home...treatment protocol = $17,170. meds were around $5k...
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
We had to wait over an hour for our initial consultation but that was expected from other reviews. During our consultation, he seemed distracted and had not prepared or gone over our records from our first round of IVF. He doesn't do any of the ultrasounds himself. I was scheduled for a hysteroscopy that cost $1865 and Dr. Potter spent about 5 minutes and then left the room w/out a word. I didn't even know we were done. On the day of the retrieval, Dr. Potter was over an hour late as usual. Once we got the PGS report (all abnormal embryos), my ivf coordinator called instead of Dr. Potter himself and she couldn't answer any questions. I had to wait over a month to speak to him regarding the cycle.
I would recommend she proceed with another doctor.
I felt like a number because no one in the office was welcoming. After the initial consultation, the lead IVF coordinator was supposed to contact me the next day since she was unavailable the day of our consultation. I did not hear from her and had to reach out myself a week later. I barely had any contact with Dr. Potter.
microdose lupron stimulation because Dr. Potter didn't think I would produce many eggs based on the follicle ultrasound count and fsh level. I ended up producing 22 eggs, 16 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and both abnormal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Castillo)
After the initial consultation, the lead IVF coordinator was supposed to contact me the next day since she was unavailable the day of our consultation. I did not hear from her and had to reach out myself a week later. I came in for an initial ultrasound and was left in the exam room for half an hour when I was told the technician would be in right away. I had to flag someone down half naked because they forgot I was in there. . In the middle of my cycle, I had to start coming in every day for test and adjust my meds based on the results. There was a day where I didn't receive a call for direction on my meds so I called the office and my IVF coordinator was out for the day. There was no one on-call and I had to just hope she would check her email when she got home.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I had a terrible experience overall from my coordinator, lab and ultrasound technicians, and doctor - I really don't have anything good to say about the clinic and I really regret wasting a cycle on this clinic.
treatment protocol = $17,170. meds were around $5k
We didn't get this far in the process.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I mentioned everything in my previous comments.
Newport Beach

My FET was scheduled for 9 in the morning, so I arrived at 7 AM and Dr. Potter didn't arrive at the clinic until 1PM. ... My original doctor was let go of 1 week prior to my FET. ... He gave my procedure an 80% chance of success and then in the actual procedure he said and i quote "this is so easy; i'm so bored" But then it didn't work. ... He is very cocky
I went to both the Newport and Fullerton clinics. I really liked the Fullerton clinic, but did not like the Newport clinic as much. ... When my cycle failed, I wanted a debrief appointment and they [HRC] said it would be 4 months, and then cancelled the day of the appointment when it finally rolled around. ... My original doctor was let go of 1 week prior to my FET. The clinic sent me an e-mail with the news and said they would find someone else to do the procedure
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
My FET was scheduled for 9 in the morning, so I arrived at 7 AM and Dr. Potter didn't arrive at the clinic until 1PM. Every bed in the office was filled and there was a huge crowd in the waiting room, standing room only. The nurses were nonplussed and said this is what always happens and kind of rolled their eyes and said Dr. Potter is always 5-6 hours late so just kind of expect that. It didn't feel like he really valued his patient's time.
He is very cocky, which would be ok if he were able to follow through. He gave my procedure an 80% chance of success and then in the actual procedure he said and i quote "this is so easy; i'm so bored" But then it didn't work.
When my FET occurred, I took a home pregnancy test everyday and I got a positive days 5-7 after the transfer, but then the line got weaker and I called the office for a blood test and they said i needed to wait 14 days for the blood test. it got lighter and lighter so I expected the blood test to be negative and it was. but I wanted to talk about what went wrong and they said the soonest debrief appointment was 4 months later. then the day of that appointment, they called and cancelled the appointment. it felt like they just didn't care about me, or dissecting what happened with my cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalija)
I worked with Natalija and really liked her. She was well informed and very helpful. I also really liked the staff at the fullerton office. Brianna and Deisy were wonderful people and I really appreciated the care they showed, and the way they communicated. I really trusted the nursing and office staff.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I went to both the Newport and Fullerton clinics. I really liked the Fullerton clinic, but did not like the Newport clinic as much. At the newport clinic I would often wait for up to 4 hours for my scheduled appointment.
The IVF was about $22,000 (including PGS on 13 embryos) and the FET was $3,500. Medication was about $10,000 for IVF and FET combined.
After originally saying they would only do eSET, after 2 egg retrievals, I only ended up with 2 PGS normal embryos, so then they said, well you can actually do either 1 or 2 together and let me choose.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
My original doctor was let go of 1 week prior to my FET. The clinic sent me an e-mail with the news and said they would find someone else to do the procedure, but that I wouldn't be able to meet the new doctor ahead of time. When my cycle failed, I wanted a debrief appointment and they said it would be 4 months, and then cancelled the day of the appointment when it finally rolled around. So then I wanted to move to another clinic and I asked them to send my paperwork to another clinic, another HRC clinic, within their system. But they said they lost my paperwork and it took many angry phone calls from me before they finally found it and agreed to send a copy.
Newport Beach

He uses the exact same protocol for every single patient because he thinks he's perfect - it's arrogant and not the right way to treat fertility issues. ... He cancelled two FET cycles and he never changes them for the patient's needs ... They [HRC] didn't monitor me for an autoimmune disorder, which they said they would, and that is a potential cause of the miscarriage. ... He said it doesn't matter if you transfer one or two - whatever you want, he doesn't care. ...
They [HRC] didn't monitor me for an autoimmune disorder, which they said they would, and that is a potential cause of the miscarriage. ... She's [nurse] sarcastic, mean, makes you feel that everything is personally your fault, disorganized, etc. RUN AWAY and get a new coordinator. ... I have only had negative experiences and they clearly protect their own in a negative way.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
Daniel Potter and his lead coordinator, Stephanie Castillo, are the worst people I have ever encountered in the medical field. RUN! He is described as "brilliant" by the people who he pays, and no one else.
Run away, find a new doctor right now!
He doesn't care about his patients at all - he only cares how many he gets pregnant so his rates go up. He cancelled two FET cycles and he never changes them for the patient's needs - he thinks he's perfect. He's extremely arrogant. Run away from this doctor
I could write a novel on how terrible she is and I literally think she should not be allowed to see patients again in her life. She is horrible. She's sarcastic, mean, makes you feel that everything is personally your fault, disorganized, etc. RUN AWAY and get a new coordinator.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I have only had negative experiences and they clearly protect their own in a negative way. It seems that they preference protecting their doctors and nurses and everyone who they pay over their patients. If you want to find someone who cares for you, and someone who will make sure you get pregnant the way you need to - go anywhere else.
Over the last 9 months of treatment, $35000 - $40000 in costs.
He said it doesn't matter if you transfer one or two - whatever you want, he doesn't care. That says a lot about him because two is a serious increase in risks and there are so many more benefits with a single embryo transfer if you can!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
They didn't monitor me for an autoimmune disorder, which they said they would, and that is a potential cause of the miscarriage.
Newport Beach

During the initial consultation she was very familiar with our reproductive profile and asked specific questions to get a better understanding of how she would help me get pregnant. She patiently answered all of my many questions. Every interaction with Dr. Frederick she said my name and knew the details of my progress...Her expertise, professionalism and compassion far exceeds all other reproductive endocrinologists I have met
I was assigned an exceptional nurse, Claudia who guided me during the entire process [at HRC]. I was reminded by Claudia to trust the process because it works. The day of the frozen embryo transfer all nurses and staff were positive and encouraging. They created a positive environment in the surgery center...Dr. Frederick’s costs were better if you have more than one IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
I searched for a reproductive endocrinologist for two years and went to many initial consultations. Most fertility clinics in San Diego did not have great results for my age group, I am over age 35. Also, the labs were not great. For instance, at one lab in San Diego, I saw the Embryologist enter the fertility clinic through the public door wearing workout clothes. Then she put on a lab coat and entered the lab. In my opinion, that is not the best protocol for dealing with sensitive embryos. This is why I searched outside of San Diego. I also searched outside of California. I prayed to have a doctor like Dr. Frederick. Her expertise, professionalism and compassion far exceeds all other reproductive endocrinologists I have met. During the initial consultation she was very familiar with our reproductive profile and asked specific questions to get a better understanding of how she would help me get pregnant. She patiently answered all of my many questions. She exudes confidence and had a specific plan for us to be successful. Once we made our decision to continue with Dr. Frederick, the ENTIRE IVF process was smooth. I had two banking cycles before the frozen embryo transfer. This was recommended by Dr. Frederick to ensure greater success and she was correct. Both egg retrieval procedures were smooth. I did not experience any complications and minimal pain. Dr. Frederick’s techniques are exceptional. We transferred one embryo. Everything went smoothly and my husband and I were excited because we believed we were about to have our dream come true. I was on strict bed rest for three days and I started having pregnancy symptoms within one week. Ten days later I took a home pregnancy test and it immediately was positive. I was elated. I never seen a positive pregnancy test until that day. It was amazing. The day of the first pregnancy ultrasound Dr. Frederick showed us the baby and heartbeat. I immediately started crying. Amazing feeling seeing your baby’s heart beating and knowing that he or she is growing inside of you. The day of graduation from the fertility clinic, Dr. Frederick takes a picture with you. I started crying because I am so grateful to her for helping us experience our dream of having a baby. Currently, I am 10 weeks pregnant and baby is growing strong. We will go back to Dr. Frederick to have siblings for this baby. I recommend Dr. Frederick if you want to have a healthy baby. Her protocol and techniques work!
Pray and trust that you selected an excellent doctor. Dr. Frederick is experienced, professional and compassionate. She truly wants you to get pregnant and have a healthy baby. Trust her process, it works. I believe having a positive mindset will help in getting the results you want.
Because I am over age 35 and did not have many embryos at my first IVF cycle (with a different doctor), Dr. Frederick recommended two banking IVF cycles. She also recommended genetic testing and freezing embryos. This is to ensure she transfers a healthy normal embryo for a higher chance of success. Dr. Frederick recommended transferring one embryo because I had genetic testing. I used Gonal-F, Menopur, micro Lupron, Ganirelix, Lupron, Progesterone injections and suppositories, Estradiol, Doxycycline, Medrol
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Claudia Ascencio)
I was assigned an exceptional nurse, Claudia who guided me during the entire process. I was reminded by Claudia to trust the process because it works. The day of the frozen embryo transfer all nurses and staff were positive and encouraging. They created a positive environment in the surgery center and I believe that also contributes to Dr. Frederick’s success rates.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC in Newport Beach is a busy office. However, I never had to wait longer than five minutes for my appointment. The surgery center is exceptional. I especially want to recognize HRC’s lab because the Embryologists ensure the best environment and growth for embryos. I do not know the details but whatever they do, it works! We did genetic testing on all our embryos to ensure that we only transferred a healthy and normal embryo.
Dr. Frederick’s costs were better if you have more than one IVF cycle.
We agreed with Dr. Frederick to transfer a single embryo. We had our embryos genetically tested. We wanted the best success rate and agreed to transfer one embryo.
Newport Beach

Dr. Potter is very passionate about what he does. He's compassionate yet direct when discussing treatment and outcomes. He runs quite a bit late at times but most doctors who perform procedures usually do... The cycle began with birth control pills for 3 weeks, Lupron 10 units for 10 days then Lupron 5 units for 10 days, 10 days of Gonal and 10 days of Menopur. The cycle was monitored with ultrasounds and blood work. The dosages of Gonal and Menopur were adjusted once 4 days before the egg retrieval. I was also instructed to take 2 hCG Ovidrel (trigger) shots about 35 hours prior to the retrieval. The day before the egg retrieval, I began my 5 day dosage of Doxycycline (terrible tasting pills).
Strengths: The Surgical team, PA's and coordinators. HRC Newport Beach has a fascinating state of the art embryology lab, surgical center and office all in the same building. They have a very organized process in place to coordinate treatment. Lab and ultrasound appointments were always fast. Weaknesses: They are a very busy practice and might have some extended wait for doctor visits.
How was your experience with Daniel Potter at HRC Fertility?
I would probably advise to prepare for a longer wait time and to not expect Dr.Potter to be the warmest. Everything "infertility" entails waiting periods. We're all there to get pregnant and if the main focus is the skill and success rates of the doctor and practice, then waiting a little extra is worth it.
The HRC practice is very busy; it's hard not to feel like a number. The process is very transactional and initially it felt as if my treatment plan was the 'cookie cutter' for all new patients. Of course that was not the case and changes were made to my cycle as it progressed. There was great communication and I felt that I was in the best hands. I will also add that making me feel like a "human" is not my top priority, getting pregnant and becoming a mother is.
The cycle began with birth control pills for 3 weeks, Lupron 10 units for 10 days then Lupron 5 units for 10 days, 10 days of Gonal and 10 days of Menopur. The cycle was monitored with ultrasounds and blood work. The dosages of Gonal and Menopur were adjusted once 4 days before the egg retrieval. I was also instructed to take 2 hCG Ovidrel (trigger) shots about 35 hours prior to the retrieval. The day before the egg retrieval, I began my 5 day dosage of Doxycycline (terrible tasting pills). After the retrieval, I began estradiol (injection), progesterone suppositories, baby aspirin and continued with prenatal vitamins. I observed the recommended 72 hours of bedrest with light activity after. After realizing my hCG numbers weren't doubling, Dr. Potter quickly ordered more blood work. My progesterone was low and had me come into the office on the same day and disbursed enough progesterone for the next few days until my rx from the pharmacy arrived. My hCG numbers doubled after that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
The coordinators and surgical staff are the most incredible and caring team. They are as compassionate and they are knowledgable.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
My insurance does not cover IVF. The IVF cycle including ICSI, PGD, anesthesia and labs: $15,900. Medications: approx $4,500 since a few were covered by insurance. The costs of IVF has increased as of the end of last year but I don't know what they are.
Dr. Potter briefly discussed this during our initial consultation and he appeared neutral. Since my cycle resulted in 1 normal embryo, it was not discussed in depth.
Newport Beach
Dr. Frederick can be very direct, to the point and almost cold in how she explains things. But she’s correct and she is good at her job, and the point is to get you successfully pregnant and carry that baby to term....Dr. Jane Frederick is a specific kind of doctor and not for the faint of heart. She is direct, clear, gets to the point and knows exactly what she is talking about (meaning she has logical evidence to support her opinions and treatment plans).
The entire staff at HRC is incredible. Where Dr. Frederick is very smart, educated and good at her job, she isn’t always compassionate. But the staff at HRC makes up for that a thousand times over. They are the sweetest, most accommodating and helpful people I have ever met. They genuinely care about what they do and it translates into every aspect of their job. HRC (Liz and Michelle specifically) are incredible human beings and I am so lucky to be in their care.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Jane Frederick is a specific kind of doctor and not for the faint of heart. She is direct, clear, gets to the point and knows exactly what she is talking about (meaning she has logical evidence to support her opinions and treatment plans). She is not the most empathetic person in the world. She isn’t necessarily cold, I feel that is too harsh, but she isn’t warm either. So somewhere in the middle I guess. She is not the shoulder to cry on if you’re feeling overwhelmed with your fertility process. But she is the hands that will get you pregnant and will be up front and honest with what to expect / how to do it. If you do what Dr. Frederick asks of you, you will have a healthy pregnancy and bring a healthy baby into the world.
Don’t let what she says hurt your feelings. She’s very honest and blunt. Be open to what she is saying and really hear her responses to your questions. If you want someone to unapologetically tell you how it is and what you need to do to conceive, Jane Frederick will do exactly that for you.
Dr. Frederick can be very direct, to the point and almost cold in how she explains things. But she’s correct and she is good at her job, and the point is to get you successfully pregnant and carry that baby to term. That being said, the nurses and coordinators on her team are the most wonderful, kind, warm and genuine human beings I have ever met. The two sides make it a perfect pair. I know without a doubt that Dr. Frederick knows what she is doing and that my body is in good hands, while I know I can always call my coordinator and she will listen to me and give me the emotional support I need.
Each person is very different and I’m sure no two patients are alike. I’m young but I have a low AMH level, so Dr. Frederick advised us to skip IUI altogether - her exact words were not to waste my time or my money because it would take a very long time - and to do IVF for conception. That would save me money in the long run. She said statistically I have an 85% chance of getting pregnant on my first try if I do what she asks. Secondly, she said my wife needed to be tested as well and she wanted to make sure that everyone involved in this process is healthy and ready for a child (whether you’re the one pregnant or not). At first I thought that was strange, but thinking about it now, it makes so much sense and I really appreciate how thorough she is in everything she does. I also appreciate how quick and to the point she is about how we can cross all of our t’s and dot all of our i’s. In less than 24 hours I had a full treatment plan and a full cost breakdown. I made sure to ask who would be doing these medical procedures. Other than the sonohystogram and blood work, Dr. Frederick will be doing all other procedures herself (egg retrieval, embryo PGS, FET, ultrasound, etc.). I will be starting on BC and then injections next month after my menstrual cycle has started.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
It can be a bit of a long wait to 1. Get an appointment and 2. See the doctor once you are there. But waiting is inevitable at any doctors office. I think we waited 20 minutes past our appointment time the first time and then 10 minutes past the second. But after that, they are great with coordinating with your calendar. The facility is clean, warm and organized. The office we went to is out of Hoag so it is very nice.
The cost for IVF was much more expensive than an FET, but the total cost was still far more affordable than anywhere else we looked. An FET at HRC is $3,600 (pre-medication). I am not sure of the total cost of IVF, but for me (I’m young and low AMH is the only issue) it was around $20k
She was VERY specific: NO TWINS. We will transfer one healthy embryo and produce one very healthy baby.
Newport Beach

Did one retrieval with her [Dr. Frederick], transferred zero embryos. We tried for a second round and she cancelled the round before retrieval because I didn't have any follicles. She and I were in an examination room alone when she told me this. After she said we were cancelling the round, she said at the end, "I will see you in the front," as if there were more things to talk about in the front. I finished up and waited in the front. After waiting 5 mins while she talked with other patients, I went up to her and asked her if she needed anything else from me. She said, "Who are you?"
Although my appointment was at a specific time, the order in which I would be seen was dependent on what time I signed in. For the same exact appointment time, I have waited 5 mins and other times I waited an hour. The wait for Frederick wasn't as bad as Potter. I was very disappointed with the lab team [HRC Newport] as there was one person who draw my blood and leave me black and blue for days. The front office team was well coordinated.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
She was worse than Potter on remembering patients and the only reason I went with her is because our insurance at the time covered ART and HRC was on the list of approved providers. I didnt want to deal with waiting with Potter, so I thought we could manage with Frederick. She was a good salesperson as she makes you feel like she is competent but when it comes to the outcome, not so much. For example, when I had my two failed rounds and I suggested egg donor, she wrote back in an email, "We have excellent donors." She was lying, as HRC is not affiliated with any donor agencies and their donor coordinator was horrible at searching for donors. I stopped responding at that point because our benefits ran out at that time.
Be prepared to be in your hospital gown, on your hospital bed, with two other patients with you at the surgery center and she tells each one of you the same thing... Definitely felt like a number then, too.
Did one retrieval with her, transferred zero embryos. We tried for a second round and she cancelled the round before retrieval because I didn't have any follicles. She and I were in an examination room alone when she told me this. After she said we were cancelling the round, she said at the end, "I will see you in the front," as if there were more things to talk about in the front. I finished up and waited in the front. After waiting 5 mins while she talked with other patients, I went up to her and asked her if she needed anything else from me. She said, "Who are you?"
First round called for Follistim, second round called for Menopur. I don't have many eggs to choose from so I don't think she had much choice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Priscilla)
I do my best to be accountable in my actions and responsive in my communication. I believe the high price of IVF services demands high quality customer care and I believe the protocols of HRC helped Priscilla do her job well but over time I ended up having to prompt her for every step which was frustrating.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The wait for Frederick wasn't as bad as Potter. I was very disappointed with the lab team as there was one person who draw my blood and leave me black and blue for days. The front office team was well coordinated.
I don't remember, sorry.
We didn't get this far.
Newport Beach

Dr. Frederick has a set protocol for all her patients. The treatment plan was not customized. In spite of my diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality, she put me on birth control pill for 31 days before the injectables in order to accommodate her busy schedule with all her patients. My eggs were retrieved before they were matured and they all could not survive 3 days after retrieval. After the treatment, Dr. Frederick told me to consider donor eggs because she " could not make miracle happen."
Clinic [HRC] is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster....Dr. Frederick has many patients so the care coordinator is also very busy. I could not understand why it took her 7 days to notify me my day 3 blood test results after I had started my ivf cycle with my injectables. It is totally not acceptable....
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
A few hours after the very first consultation with Dr. Frederick, we were given the calendar of dates for the injectable, the dosage and also the egg retrieval date without her doing any physical exam or ultrasound on me. Because of her reported high success rate, I chose to trust her even though I felt I was being treated like a number.
Try harder.
Antagonist protocol with Gonal F 450 unit and Menopur 75 unit together from the beginning till the end. No dosage adjustment at all throughout the treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Priscilla Davalos)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Clinic is a chaos. Too many patients are waited to be seen. There are tons of patient but not enough seats. Some patients have to sit on the floor and some of them has to wait outside of the clinic. It is a disaster.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
I lived 1.5 hours away from HRC orange county, so I did my monitoring ultrasounds at HRC oceanside branch. What bothered me was that, the ultrasound technician refused to told me what she saw in the ultrasound. She said the doctor would explain to me, but the doctor never did. I went in for couple of ultrasounds for my ivf cycle and I had no clue of how my body responded to the injectables. I was kept away from the information of how the cycle went.
I signed up for 2 cycle banking of embryos, which is $23K. After 1st cycle failed, we decided to find another doctor and we got the refund from HRC for $11K. So this failed cycle cost us $12K with only egg retrieval, no PGS done, no transfer, and injectables not included.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
At the first, I asked the coordinator for injectable prescriptions so I could get injectables overseas. Latter I told her that I would not be able to get injectables and I would need her to call in the local pharmacy. She said she would call in when the cycle was about to start. 4 days before I was told to start the injectables, I reminded her to call in the pharmacy to order meds for me, she was upset and said I told her I would get meds overseas. I attached the email that I wrote to her that I could not get meds overseas and she promised me to call in local pharmacy for me. Then she realized she made a mistake and she called in the pharmacy. I almost ended up with no injectables and unable to start my cycle after taking 31 days of birth control pill.
Newport Beach

Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was.... I felt like Dr. Frederick didn’t take the time to see what the best protocol would be for me. I felt like she had 2 protocols and she didn’t tailor the protocols to me. It felt like she didn’t take the time to do simple tests to see if there were any other issues that could be contributing to our infertility.
HRC has great facilities that are easily accessible. The facilities are very clean. The support staff and nurses were all very welcoming and make me feel comfortable, especially when I first went and was in uncomfortable positions 😬 One weakness is that the Newport Beach Office is more often than not running late.... Allyn Ann was absolutely amazing! I wish she were a fertility doctor so she could help us have a baby. She went above and beyond what an average nurse would do. Natalie was so great too. She was very responsive and compassionate. Highly recommend both.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Frederick is a nice woman, however, I don’t feel like she thinks outside the box. I felt like she had a set protocol no matter who the patient is. She didn’t take the time to really find out what the cause of our infertility was. She doesn’t have any bedside manners either, which is fine because my husband and I didn’t need the extra handholding. That being said, it would have been nice to have some compassion when none of our embryos passed genetic testing our first cycle or when we only had one healthy embryo the second cycle and then miscarried.
Don’t expect to have your protocol tailored to you and don’t expect her to have good bedside manners.
Honestly, I don’t remember because it was all a blur. However, it’s my understanding that she uses two protocols and she tried both on me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allyn Ann and Natalie)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The costs for Dr. Frederick were about $20,000 and the medications were about $5,000
We only had one healthy embryo so we didn’t have a choice.