6.9

West Los Angeles
11500 Olympic Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90064

2011 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Tourgeman was a great communicator throughout our entire process. I always felt that he was proceeding with my best interests in mind. He always made sure my husband and I understood everything that was being planned and he was great with follow up.... Dr. Tourgeman recommended a multiple embryo transfer (after doing a 5 day blast). I wanted 2, he recommended 3 because of the statistics. Husband and I agreed with 3. Two ended up not taking but one did.
The West LA clinic [of HRC] was great. I can't recall anything that was a weakness. The front desk was nice, responsive and even keel, given the emotions that can run in the waiting rooms of fertility clinics... Vera [a nurse] was wonderful! She is a great communicator and very nice bedside manner. She held my hand so many times during the frustration of this. Truly a lovely person.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
To have your questions and concerns prepared to ask. Also if and when you do become pregnant through HRC, to ask about any follow up or whatnot that should go to your OB/GYN. That is the one thing I did not think to ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Tourgeman is a wonderful doctor who explained everything calmly, respectfully and his bedside manner is definitely treating each person like a human going through a very difficult journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vera Olaiz)
Vera was wonderful! She is a great communicator and very nice bedside manner. She held my hand so many times during the frustration of this. Truly a lovely person.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The West LA clinic was great. I can't recall anything that was a weakness. The front desk was nice, responsive and even keel, given the emotions that can run in the waiting rooms of fertility clinics.
Describe David Tourgeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
David Tourgeman
West Los Angeles
2005 - 2012, Unsuccessful
My experience was positive. Traveled from across the US to see Dr. Boostanfarand was pleased with the decision. We were treated with respect at every turn. I experienced OHSS after returning home and he was helpful to my local doctors who were inexperienced in treating.... He was willing to consider our input on number transferred and offered insight on options without making us feel pressured.
We had no complaints on the clinic itself [HRC-Westlake Village]. We visited from out of state and felt comfortable in the area and the help provided with coordinating a distance visit was appreciated. I was traveling there with a 4 year old without my spouse for part of the stay and they were very helpful in accommodating my needs with him... I experienced OHSS after returning home and he was helpful to my local doctors who were inexperienced in treating.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility?
Ask questions if you don’t understand—he was helpful and patient with us. I don’t feel like we were “needy” patients but if we had been I don’t think it would have been an issue.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility?
He spoke to us with respect, returned calls/communications promptly, explained care and diagnosis thoroughly.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
We had no complaints on the clinic itself. We visited from out of state and felt comfortable in the area and the help provided with coordinating a distance visit was appreciated. I was traveling there with a 4 year old without my spouse for part of the stay and they were very helpful in accommodating my needs with him.
Describe Robert Boostanfar's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Westlake Village

2009 - 2012, Unsuccessful
We followed the calendar to a tee [with Dr. Jane Frederick] and didn’t need to make any adjustments...Didn’t feel a connection with her. I didn’t feel she explained much at all with me...She was nice but I didn’t feel that She explained much to me. No conversation was had in detail on trying to figure out the “why” behind our infertility. I felt like we jumped right into IVF which was ok but I would have liked more in depth conversation.
[HRC is a] Very busy clinic. It was very clean and inviting. It was located in an medical office building setting. Small waiting room...[nurses are] Polite and caring...No cost. We won a free IVF...She [Dr. Jane Frederick] was nice but I didn’t feel that She explained much to me. No conversation was had in detail on trying to figure out the “why” behind our infertility. I felt like we jumped right into IVF which was ok but I would have liked more in depth conversation.
How was your experience with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Make sure you bring up everything you want to know. Don’t let your appointment go fast without having a true understanding of what is going on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jane Frederick used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I used Lupron. I don’t remember much details about all the mess used. We followed the calendar to a tee and didn’t need to make any adjustments.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
Polite and caring.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Very busy clinic. It was very clean and inviting. It was located in an medical office building setting. Small waiting room. It has been a while since I have been there but i do remember the room had a TV for entertainment while waiting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jane Frederick at HRC Fertility.
No cost. We won a free IVF.
Describe Jane Frederick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
She was comfortable doing a total of 2 embryos. No more than that.
Jane Frederick
Newport Beach

2007 - 2011, Successful
Personally, I think your doctor and primary nurse are the most important. HRC was great for me because of Dr. Evans and Cynthia but I would go wherever Dr. Michelle Evans is currently at...Cynthia was the best !!!!! She was with me every step of the way !!! Both were a great team !!! Dr. Michelle Evans was with HRC in Pasadena at the time of my treatment. She and her assistant Cynthia were with me professionally and emotionally every step of the way. " Timing" throughout the entire IVF process is critical... So much so that when it was "time" for the implantation of my embryos to occur Dr. Michelle Evans scheduled me on a Sunday and left her child's soccer game to personally perform the procedure.
How was your experience with Michele Evans at HRC Fertility?
I set forth everything in the last question because with these types of surveys, you never know what the next question is or if it's the last question and I wanted to make sure I got to write everything that I believe is important about my experience. Yes. It did cost money to travel to California but I also underwent just one IVF and it was successful. Each woman travels down their own unique medical road but it's a road that's a whole lot easier to go down and more likely to be successful if you have the right Doctor and team on your side right from the start.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michele Evans at HRC Fertility?
Relax and throw the stress out the window. Your in the right place :)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michele Evans at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Michelle Evans was with HRC in Pasadena at the time of my treatment. She and her assistant Cynthia were with me professionally and emotionally every step of the way. " Timing" throughout the entire IVF process is critical... So much so that when it was "time" for the implantation of my embryos to occur Dr. Michelle Evans scheduled me on a Sunday and left her child's soccer game to personally perform the procedure. Dr. Evans and her assisstant nurse "Cynthia" talked to me on the phone EVERY DAY to walk me thru the process leading to the implantion of my 4 embryos. I truly felt and was treated like I was their only patient. The emotional Support I got was number one. Stress is a very big factor that prevents women from obtaining pregnancy and after meeting Dr. Michelle Evans the first time. My stress was reduced to zero. After the first insemination failed, I was worried that I would not be approved for in vitro due to my age. I was 42 years old and had been made to feel " too old" for IVF in both my initial meeting with a nurse in a NJ clinic and again when I called a very popular NYC fertility clinic where the first question asked was "how old are you" ? Dr Evans was never concerned about my age and told me regardless of age, no one can tell you what the quality of your eggs are until they are physically retrieved and analyzed. Turns out the quality of my eggs were "very good" which I always felt in my heart anyway ...maybe because of my Irish stubbornness that wouldn't allow me to accept anything less...and when i inquured further, I was told that the quality of my eggs were basically the same as if I was 30 years old. So ladies, don't let anyone judge you soley by your age. It's only one factor and personally I think it says a lot about a clinic if they put a lot of weight on it. I was never treated like a statistic or a number by Dr. Evans. I was treated like a woman who wanted a baby more than anything in the world and comforted when I cried and sobbed and probably asked the same questions more than once and treated with a lot of patience and understanding. I can't even put into words just how important that component is and I'm a professional woman but like all women, that goes out the window when we just want to be a mom :(... And yes I'm crying now as I write this because it takes me back to 2007 and where I am today, ..it's tears of pure happiness. I remember that moment when I got the call from Dr. Evans. She called me from her home after the office told me that my pregnancy test was positive just to share the joy with me.,.and yes, My 8 year girl is beautiful and smart and healthy. She's busy doing her homework at the moment. We just got back from violin practice a little while ago and I put this survey on my to do list on my I phone calendar. I don't do surveys. But this one is important. I remember how lost I felt and how I did not know where to go or what to do next. The negativity I felt from the initial meeting I had in the NJ clinic and the cold call question about my age on the phone from the NYC clinic made me want to leave the East coast and head West. I love California people. Something in my heart told me that the right doctor for me was in California. I followed my instincts and it lead me to Dr. Michelle Evans. Always follow your instincts and whatever God has planned will happen because whatever is for you will not go past you. Also, Dr. Evans is presently located at the Pacific Fertility Center in the Los Angeles area. After the birth of my daughter, I sent Christmas cards with her photo to Dr. Evans probably for the first 2 years. Other than that, I haven't had any contact with Dr. Evans in all these years but I do think of her often. She is and always will be the doctor that helped me receive my Angel from Heaven :)
Describe the protocols Michele Evans used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Trust me, 9 years later, it's all a happy blur. What I do remember is that Dr. Evans and Cynthia made a complicated medical process very easy because they were there "really there" every step of the way. Every woman will have different protocols and there will be different strategies and different and unique issues will come up and maybe a road block or two. It doesn't matter, follow all instructions of your medical doctor, stay focused and get through the roadblocks and issues and get back on track and stay on track.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cynthia - she was with HRC in Pasedena. I don't know where she is now.)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michele Evans at HRC Fertility.
I only underwent one insemination and one IVF. I spent more money on hotels and airlines than on my fertility treatments. I didn't go to Pacific Fertility because Dr. Evans was not there in 2007 so I didn't respond to any questions about the actual Clinic. But if Dr. Evans is there, I would trust that it's top notch.
Describe Michele Evans's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
I had four embryos implanted. Initially, I was told that 3 out of four would be implanted but by the day of the procedure, the 4 th was also good and " ready to go" I remember I remember that they were all genetically tested and "good to go " I am not familiar with eSET ( elective single embryo transfer)
Michele Evans

2008 - 2011, Successful
Dr Kolb was warm and attentive in person and on the phone. He spoke so that we could understand all aspects of what we were doing medically, and helped us make choices when appropriate. He never appeared rushed or like he was pushing us out to get to his next appointment, and he was a pleasure to deal with...Communication was clear, and the one time we had a miscommunication with office staff, Dr Kolb called me himself yo acknowledge it and apologize.
We had some difficulty with communication from the coordinator, and when Dr Kolb realized it, he called me and addressed it...The practice is large, which can be off putting to some, but it did not affect our experience. They are LGBT affirming, and we had no issues being 2 men pursuing parenthood...Dr Kolb was warm and attentive in person and on the phone. He spoke so that we could understand all aspects of what we were doing medically, and helped us make choices when appropriate. He never appeared rushed or like he was pushing us out to get to his next appointment, and he was a pleasure to deal with.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Ask your questions and ask got further clarification on things that are not clear or concern you. He's got a good bedside manner, and made us feel comfortable, which was important for us particularly because we had already had a difficult experience at another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Bradford Kolb used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't recall.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility.
Bradford Kolb

2009 - 2011, Successful
He [Dr. Robert Boostanfar] was very talented, concerned, conservative but open to ideas and willing to try new approaches, charismatic and charming, warm, compassionate, knowledgeable and well-studied, sweet and passionate. He never spoke down to us and always had enough time to talk to us if we needed our questions answered.
How was your experience with Robert Boostanfar at HRC Fertility?
He was very talented, concerned, conservative but open to ideas and willing to try new approaches, charismatic and charming, warm, compassionate, knowledgeable and well-studied, sweet and passionate. He never spoke down to us and always had enough time to talk to us if we needed our questions answered.
He can come off as arrogant but it's his confidence as a successful practitioner.
He was very approachable and when my cycles didn't succeed, he really felt disappointed with me. He was there every step of the way. He celebrated with successes and was sad when it did not work but was ready with an action plan to help me keep my head up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Leticia)
She was kind, a great teacher regarding injections, a great listener, approachable and sweet. I miss seeing her.
Encino
2003 - 2010, Successful
They [the nursing staff at HRC] were informed and compassionate but I had to often follow up with them to get answers - rather than them reaching out to me....He [Dr. John Wilcox] was knowledgeable, concerned, compassionate. He made himself available for consults and seemed to care about helping us have a child. He is one of the smartest doctors out there and knows what is going on in the world of fertility...HE suggested we do an EFT test which came back with "no mag" and therefore he suggested we use a surrogate. We also tested my husband's sperm (which other REs said was fine because he already had a son) and he had a varicoceles and needed surgery. He looked where other doctors did not.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
He was knowledgeable, concerned, compassionate. He made himself available for consults and seemed to care about helping us have a child. He is one of the smartest doctors out there and knows what is going on in the world of fertility .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Don't give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Dr Wilcox took the time to explain what we were doing, looked to solve problems, knew my case when we came in.
Describe the protocols John Wilcox used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
HE suggested we do an EFT test which came back with "no mag" and therefore he suggested we use a surrogate. We also tested my husband's sperm (which other REs said was fine because he already had a son) and he had a vericoceles and needed surgery. He looked where other doctors did not.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
They were informed and compassionate but I had to often follow up with them to get answers - rather than them reaching out to me.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
This was a long time ago. about 15 years. So I don't think what I have to say is relevant any more.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC Fertility.
Rancho Cucamonga
2008 - 2010, Successful
My nurse coordinator [at HRC Pasadena] was very distracted and unorganized. It turns out she was going through some personal issues at the time. I had friends who raved about her during their treatment, so probably it was the personal issues getting in the way...Dr. Evans was fantastic and I know a few other friends who used her successfully, too. However, I did have a difficult pregnancy due to fibroids, so I would have appreciated a more thorough discussion about the issue before we proceeded. Still, my twins are happy and healthy now and I wouldn't change a thing!
How was your experience with Michele Evans at HRC Fertility?
Don't be afraid to push for a more thorough or detailed answer.
She didn't speak down to me and seemed to have a caring bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cynthia)
My nurse coordinator was very distracted and unorganized. It turns out she was going through some personal issues at the time. I had friends who raved about her during their treatment, so probably it was the personal issues getting in the way.
Michele Evans
Pasadena

[Our nurse] made me feel so good about my donor choice.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
My husband and I both loved him. We felt like he was competent and we were in good hands. He somehow managed to alleviate away any stigma or anxiety or fear we had about the whole process.
Chose a donor that looks like you. It makes everything easier for you kids, because there won't be as many awkward questions. :)
I felt like he understood me and what I was going through. DE was a big adjustment for us to get our heads around, and he made it seem like it was not a big deal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
She made me feel so good about my donor choice.
I believe my IVF was $14,000, donor eggs $10,000 and meds about $5,000