7.2

Selling medication is not offered

20 Hughes Road,
Madison, AL 35758
256.213.2229

He [Dr. Andrew Harper] managed my care through the nurses. I did not speak to or meet him until I was pregnant and my labs became concerning. Because information way relayed through a nurse, I was not able to get satisfactory answers to my questions or have a good understanding of our plan of care. Due to a significant miscommunication amongst the entire office staff, he also performed a vaginal ultrasound during which he was not supervised by a female staff member.
[Huntsville Reproductive Medicine has] Extremely limited scheduling and clinic capabilities. Abysmal communication at all levels. Communication methods are outdated. Lost paperwork. Doctor is not directly involved in care until there is a problem. They are not good at communicating with insurance companies and suggest you just pay out of pocket instead of doing their job to submit appropriate paperwork.
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
He managed my care through the nurses. I did not speak to or meet him until I was pregnant and my labs became concerning. Because information way relayed through a nurse, I was not able to get satisfactory answers to my questions or have a good understanding of our plan of care. Due to a significant miscommunication amongst the entire office staff, he also performed a vaginal ultrasound during which he was not supervised by a female staff member.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Go to another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I did not even meet Dr. Harper until they believed I was losing the pregnancy. When I did finally meet him, he thought I was someone else. I did not consistently see the same nurse.
Describe the protocols Andrew Harper used in your cycles at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did 3 medicated cycles with letrozole. The first cycle ended up being timed intercourse because the nurse practitioner and office staff did not submit the request to my insurance for the prior authorization that they knew was necessary for my IUI to be covered. They tried to convince me to pay for it out of pocket when they were the ones who had dropped the ball. The second 2 cycles we did IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
I was assigned a nurse, but I did not consistently see her at my appointments. The nursing staff and physician were not on the same page regarding office policies and had poor communication. My care was negatively impacted by this.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic has very limited appointment times. They only have a phlebotomist available from 7am-9:45am. So if you need an appointment that includes bloodwork, that is a very small window of time. Semen samples must be dropped off no later than 12:30pm which again, can be restrictive due to schedules. They are also closed on all holidays and weekends. This made it difficult to schedule the cycle day 3 bloodwork that my insurance required since cycle day 3 kept falling on a weekend. Cycles don’t stop on the weekends so I would find a clinic that can accommodate weekend needs if I need a clinic in the future. Communication was extremely poor across all levels. The front office staff and clinical providers had to be told multiple times to submit prior authorization for both IUI and trigger shot prescription, which resulted in a delay of care. The nursing staff lost paperwork. The information that I was provided during the course of my care was very minimal. If I didn’t ask the right questions, I didn’t receive any information. And I didn’t always know what questions I needed to be asking. For example, when I wanted to begin considering IVF, I was told that they only do egg retrievals quarterly. This is something that should have been communicated at my initial consultation as it can result in a potential 3 month delay of beginning IVF when time is often of the essence when it comes to fertility. We discussed the possibility of IVF at my consultation, but the nurse practitioner failed to mention this crucial scheduling limitation. I didn’t know that I needed to ask if they did egg retrievals on a limited basis. They do not have any electronic communication, such as email or portal. I had to wait by the phone in the afternoon for my lab results and instructions. I was not told any specific lab results unless I asked. Their website had also not been updated with their success rates since 2012. They recently updated their website, but it is now lacking any stats on success rates.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
Insurance covered my costs with the exception of copays.
Describe Andrew Harper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
I never had an communication regarding this topic.
What specific things went wrong at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
Madison
You rarely see him [Dr. Andrew Harper]. I've only seen him on the initial consultation. The nurses perform all the procedures and talk to him directly and provide you feedback....it was said that we'd try up to 3 IUIs until we met again. We've done 3 IUIs and have the next consult scheduled...Each cycle consists of a baseline bloodwork and ultrasound, then a mid-cycle check of blood work and ultrasound and if required additional bloodwork to confirm ovulation a couple days after the mid-cycle check before scheduling an IUI the same day. Between each visit, Dr. Harper is consulted by the nurse and feedback via phone is given to me on recommended path forward.
The nursing staff is great [at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine]. They make me feel comfortable and the general procedure/process is there same no matter which nurse you get... IUIs cost $295 each and the injection (for ovulation in 24 hours) was $207 at the pharmacy...They are easy to get ahold of and scheduling appointments is so easy (except with Dr. Harper). The voicemail system is not up to date (to call a specific nurse) but the front office will direct you if you aren't sure. One time I left a voicemail for the wrong nurse but I got a call back anyways.
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
It's still early... Initial consult was with Dr. Harper and it was said that we'd try up to 3 IUIs until we met again. We've done 3 IUIs and have the next consult scheduled. Each cycle consists of a baseline bloodwork and ultrasound, then a mid-cycle check of blood work and ultrasound and if required additional bloodwork to confirm ovulation a couple days after the mid-cycle check before scheduling an IUI the same day. Between each visit, Dr. Harper is consulted by the nurse and feedback via phone is given to me on recommended path forward.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. I feel like they hold back all of the options in order to not confuse you... But I have no idea what will be the next step after my 3 IUIs.
You rarely see him. I've only seen him on the initial consultation. The nurses perform all the procedures and talk to him directly and provide you feedback.
My husband's sperm count is always high, the first 2 IUIs I ovulated on my own (confirmed via blood work) but was offered the injection on the first one but declined because I wanted to know if I was ovulating naturally. The third IUI I took the injection but mostly because I had a trip planned that would make me miss that months ovulation. The injection was $207 and each IUI is $295. Also both my husband and I were requested to start taking COQ10 after the initial consultation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
The nursing staff is great. They make me feel comfortable and the general procedure/process is there same no matter which nurse you get. The least favorite nurse is the RN, Chelsea. She tends to leave out key information and the 2 times I've dealt with her I had lots of questions and had to call the office often.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance doesn't cover anything except blood work... So the blood work costs me my co pay ($40) and the IUIs cost $295 each and the injection (for ovulation in 24 hours) was $207 at the pharmacy (which I was warned about).
Madison
You mainly see the nurses who are all very personable and caring. However, whenever there seems to be something wrong Dr. Davenport always came in (he did 3 of my 6 IUIs). He also made time to sit down and talk with us whenever we asked. He also made the calls when the news wasn't good, he never made the nurses deliver bad news...Dr. Davenport is very caring. He always asks how you are doing, and then says "ok, and how are you REALLY doing emotionally". He always explains things well, a
As a new patient I was shocked of how busy they [Hunt Repro Med] were! Although the waiting room always seems full, they never keep you waiting too long. It is very easy to setup appointments and pay. The clinic is very well kept and clean...I have worked with many of the nurses (Chelsea, Joan, Jennifer and Brittany who draws the blood) and they are all amazing! They all make you feel like you are their only patient and so compassionate. Chelsea is my nurse and she is fantastic at explaining anything I don't understand. She is also very responsive, she always calls or emails me back quickly.
How was your experience with Brett Davenport at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Davenport is very caring. He always asks how you are doing, and then says "ok, and how are you REALLY doing emotionally". He always explains things well, and does put it in simpler terms when I don't understand. He has now left the practice, and unfortunately I did not get any feedback from him on our failed IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brett Davenport at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
If you don't understand just ASK, he will find a way for you to understand. Also even though he is a doctor he doesn't know what your body feels, so if something feels off (I ovulated early on 3 cycles), call and tell your nurse, they will listen and adjust if needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brett Davenport at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Brett Davenport used in your cycles at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I was 28, and my husband and I had been trying for 1 year. He put me on 50mg of clomid and did my 1st IUI. We did 3 IUI's, then decided to do the laparoscopy to see if I had Endometriosis. He wasn't expecting that I would have it (even though I showed many of the signs), but I did....everywhere so he removed it. We then tried 3 more IUI's, and then opted for IVF. Since I always ovulated more than one egg with Clomid we went conservative with the dosage of Gonal-F (150units) and Menopur (75units), but that only produced 4 follicles so we opted to do an IUI instead. My second round at IVF we started with 300 units of Gonal-F (lowered to 200 units half way trough) and 75 units of Menopur. I produced 8 follicles this time, and we retrieved 6 mature eggs. 5 fertilized, but 3 stalled at day 3. We implanted both embryos on day 5, but unfortunately they failed. Dr. Davenport left the practice following my IVF so I never got feedback on what the issue could have been. That was disappointing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea)
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
As a new patient I was shocked of how busy they were! Although the waiting room always seems full, they never keep you waiting too long. It is very easy to setup appointments and pay. The clinic is very well kept and clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brett Davenport at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
I had Aetna PPO for all of my IUI's and the each costs $500 with the procedure and medicine. I talked to Dr. Davenport when I was changing insurances and he told me to look for one that covered injectable meds...best advice ever! For the IVF I had BCBS of Alabama Gold and it cost about $8000 for the procedure and I paid only $300 for my meds thanks to his advice. The injectables typically cost $4000.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
We did a total of 3 cycles and protocol was never adjusted whatsoever. Just kept plugging away and doing the same thing each time with the same negative result.... was very impressed with Dr. Harper at our initial visit. He very thoroughly explained our course of action and for the most part answered our questions. He did however dismiss a particular concern I had and essentially told us there was no way that was a problem for us. I
Nursing staff [at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine] was amazing and honestly why we stayed as long as we did. I didn't love not knowing which of the 3 I would have. Felt the most comfortable with Chelsea and Jennifer....The nurses were great but Dr. Harper is very robotic and does not seem comfortable interacting with people....We did a total of 3 cycles and protocol was never adjusted whatsoever. Just kept plugging away and doing the same thing each time with the same negative result
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I was very impressed with Dr. Harper at our initial visit. He very thoroughly explained our course of action and for the most part answered our questions. He did however dismiss a particular concern I had and essentially told us there was no way that was a problem for us. I only saw him 2 other times, once at my first scan appointment and again after a laparoscopy for maybe 30 seconds. He is very awkward and if you are looking for warm and fuzzy from your doctor go elsewhere. We did a total of 3 cycles and protocol was never adjusted whatsoever. Just kept plugging away and doing the same thing each time with the same negative result.
I believe Dr. Harper is a good doctor and if you're interested in IVF then he's your guy.
3 cycles with Letrazole days 3-7 and an ovidrel trigger 2 days before IUI. monitoring on CD 3 and 10 and then again later if not close on day 10. No other blood work or monitoring after IUI just call with period or positive test.
Nursing staff was amazing and honestly why we stayed as long as we did. I didn't love not knowing which of the 3 I would have. Felt the most comfortable with Chelsea and Jennifer.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
The front office staff leaves something to be desired. During the course of one of our IUIs we literally had to reschedule my husband's collection 4 times. I finally informed them the last time they called to reschedule it that we would not be changing it again. The billing information is not very well conveyed to the patients so sometimes there are some surprises.
No charge for office visits unless the doctor was present which was never. IUI was $300.
What specific things went wrong at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
We had an issue with multiple reschedules of a collection for IUI. Also prior to my laparoscopy I was told we would only have to pay the surgery center fee as outlined in our insurance policy. A month and a half later I got a call from the office staff that we had an outstanding balance of nearly $500 and we're expected to pay immediately. The balance was the remainder of my portion of our yearly deductible which we were not aware was applicable since we were told before hand it would just be the surgery center fee. Thankfully we are in a position to be able to pay it as requested but others may not be. My advice is call your insurance company yourself and find out what your costs will be.

2014, Unsuccessful
Clomid, clomid, and more clomid [protocol with Dr. Andrew Harper]. Increase the dosage and if that doesn't work, increase it more. Then injectables and when that didn't work, they just kept increasing the dosage. 3 failed IUIs because they would do them at the wrong time. They never saw anyone on the weekend...I felt like a number because I NEVER saw Dr. Harper except for my initial visit which was a meeting with him. He did not examine me. He asked me questions and that was it.
My assigned nurse [at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine] rarely saw me. Some of my appointments were scheduled during times she couldn't be there. So I saw someone different every time...The nurses or Dr. Harper wouldn't see anyone on the weekend. They would give drugs to delay ovulation so that my IUIs could happen during the week. My blood work was always different from the ultrasound information. If my ultrasound indicated ovulation but my blood work did not, they relied on my blood work. Therefore, they did every IUI a day or two early or late. I told them every time that they can't rely just on my blood work (per my past experience and conversations with my first and more caring doctor). The nurses kept telling me I was wrong. Three failed IUIs and they simply kept increasing the dosage of my medicine.
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I saw him for my first visit which was simply a meeting. He did not examine me, he only asked questions about my history. I was in his office twice a month for blood work and exams, I NEVER saw him at those visits. I saw him after one year and I had to request to see him. Upon my request, it took a week for me to schedule a time. I was told I am not priority since I'm already a patient and his nurses handle patient concerns and then relay messages to him. When I finally met with him, he did not conduct an examination, we met in his office to discuss my concerns which was 3 failed IUIs and never seeing him. He told me he doesn't have time to go to every patient exam and his nurses update him.
Drive out of Huntsville and see someone who actually cares about you.
I felt like a number because I NEVER saw Dr. Harper except for my initial visit which was a meeting with him. He did not examine me. He asked me questions and that was it. His office staff never knew who I was, I was assigned a nurse but that nurse changed with each visit.
Clomid, clomid, and more clomid. Increase the dosage and if that doesn't work, increase it more. Then injectables and when that didn't work, they just kept increasing the dosage. 3 failed IUIs because they would do them at the wrong time. They never saw anyone on the weekend.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
My assigned nurse rarely saw me. Some of my appointments were scheduled during times she couldn't be there. So I saw someone different every time.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
Office staff never engaged in conversation, they never knew my name unless they were looking at my paperwork, and only interacted with me when I needed to sign the bill. They cared about their money. They did not care about their patients or what we were going through.
Madison
He acted like everything was my weight. I know I'm over weight but when you only see the dr. Like 3 times in a year and a few months him telling you you're over weight every time kinda upsets me.... He seemed to think that everything that's going on with me is because I'm fat. I did the weight loss stuff lost 56 pounds and yet he still thought I needed to lose more. The doctor I'm seeing now says I shouldn't have any issues because of weight. He's seen too many people 3x my size that were pregnant.
I called [Hunstville Reproductive Medicine] after dr. Davenport left and the new dr. Harper took over asking about a different weight loss program bc the one I was on wasn't working anymore. I never heard back from anyone.... The nursing staff was absolutely amazing. They're the only reason I stayed so long.... The only time I really had to pay was when I saw him which didn't happen often
I didn't really care for him. He acted like everything was my weight. I know I'm over weight but when you only see the dr. Like 3 times in a year and a few months him telling you you're over weight every time kinda upsets me.
Make sure you aren't fat when you see him. He'll think that's the problem for everything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer then changed to Joan )
The only time I really had to pay was when I saw him which didn't happen often
What specific things went wrong at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I called after dr. Davenport left and the new dr. Harper took over asking about a different weight loss program bc the one I was on wasn't working anymore. I never heard back from anyone.
Madison

Dr. Davenport would talk with me about a plan or our next steps but then call my husband the next day and change the plans. It would never be communicated to me unless my husband happened to remember to tell me... If you dont have money to pay for their treatments Dr. Davenport seems to be annoyed...He was not personal and was always very pushy. If I had any questions it was like he thought I was questioning him.
Most [staff at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine] were very quiet and would not talk unless they were requesting payment...Very expensive. Wanted to do a 400 dollar seman analysis but couldn't tell us the benefit of having the results...Great location...Does not make you feel comfortable. If you go in and do exactly what is said you'll be fine. Just ask zero questions. If you dont have money to pay for their treatments Dr. Davenport seems to be annoyed.
Go in ready to do exactly what he says and wants with no questions or thoughts permitted.
Femera.
Most were very quiet and would not talk unless they were requesting payment.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
Great location. Bad staff. Does not make you feel comfortable. If you go in and do exactly what is said you'll be fine. Just ask zero questions. If you dont have money to pay for their treatments Dr. Davenport seems to be annoyed.