Institute for Human Reproduction

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Bedford Park
Oakbrook
1919 Midwest Road
Oakbrook, IL 60523
630 916 8630
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Human Reproduction to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 18Neutral: 4Don't recommend: 87.8
2 doctors
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
They [Inst for Human Reproduction - Chi] offer great monitoring hours that allowed me to get there early and make it to work on time. It saved me taking off work. I didn’t like that they don’t have weekend hours...They are inconsistent with email vs phone calls.. so that’s disappointing. I had an email go unanswered form a nurse. I let it go as it wasn’t urgent. But I didn’t like being passed around to different nurses. They did have an after hours answering service which was helpful for emergency questions.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
They offer great monitoring hours that allowed me to get there early and make it to work on time. It saved me taking off work. I didn’t like that they don’t have weekend hours.. what if you lined up on a weekend and needed to proceed?? Also, they could use a patient portal. That would do wonders! They are inconsistent with email vs phone calls.. so that’s disappointing. I had an email go unanswered form a nurse. I let it go as it wasn’t urgent. But I didn’t like being passed around to different nurses. They did have an after hours answering service which was helpful for emergency questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I felt like even if I was the 1st one in the office that day for monitoring, I could be one of the last to be called with my results. And sometimes the news delivered by staff on a recording I would never imagine getting that way instead of a personal call. When I first started off it seemed like my questions were annoying staff and I wasn’t really sure who to ask.. once I got a few months in, I got the hang of it!
Melissa is the main coordinator there. There was a new trainee who is building her confidence in this field. Overall they answer questions but if you don’t ask.. they won’t tell you.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen was super cordial. He went through things, made himself available. He always made me feel like things would be ok. I’m still not done with treatment with him. But I’m glad he was my first stop for fertility treatment! He’s awesome!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
The care of Dr Cohen far outweighs the communication struggles with the staff.
Describe the protocols David Cohen used in your cycles at Institute for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
He began doing an HSN on me which I never had. My OB said I had a T shaped uterus but only did a HSG. I lost my daughter at 23 weeks and Dr Cohen said that we needed to look further into why that may have happened. He found a septum in my uterus and we did surgery the next week. He placed a balloon catheter in there for a week. Removal and then we proceeded to get a final cycle started to begin monitoring. He gave me 100mg of clomid and I didn’t respond as needed. I was canceled my 1st planned IUI cycle. I was then given more provera to induce another cycle. I requested doing Letrozol instead of the 150mg of clomid as he had planned to do. I then continued with monitoring, triggered with ovidrel and got my 1st IUI. Started crinone 2 days after. I’m still waiting to see if it worked.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction.
The only price I was ever given was $1500 for an IUI cycle. I’ve been seeing Dr Cohen since 12/6/17 and I have yet to receive a bill or discuss finances with anyone at that office.
Describe David Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Human Reproduction.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Monitoring appointments [at Institute for Human Reproduction] were so great for me, I went before work and usually was there at 7, only a few people there, first come first seen, I was never there more than 15-30 minutes...IVF was around 10-11k, plus 1k for freezing, and medications. PGS testing would be additional 4k plus FET round of 3K...long waits for consultation/reconsultation, but it's because he takes the time with each patient and this was the only times I experienced this, all other labs/ultrasounds/ect were timely
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Pros- Easy monitoring hours before work and short wait times, super compassionate doctor with a great eye for detail, small office where you will see the same faces and get more personalized care, email correspondence, easy to page doctor and get quick response Cons- long waits for consultation/reconsultation, but it's because he takes the time with each patient and this was the only times I experienced this, all other labs/ultrasounds/ect were timely
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction?
This is a smaller clinic, where they take the time to get to know you. The Doctor, Nurse, Lab Tech, and front desk all know me. I wasn't just a number, I didn't feel like cattle. Dr. T is compassionate and really cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa I talked to frequently with my cycle. She would always respond to me by the end of the same day, we often talked via email which is convenient. She always got paperwork back to me quickly. When I called after my stillborn, she remembered me and was so sorry to hear, like an old friend giving me comfort.
How was your experience with Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. T found a tubal blockage and PCOS issue that my first clinic failed to identify. He has great bedside manner, when he had to give me bad news he didn't shy away from telling me but did so in a gentle and kind way. He helped me get a grant to cover some of the cost of IVF. He hugged me the day I graduated, he is that kind of doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Ask all the questions you want, he will take the time to answer each of them. If you don't understand him, just ask again, I'm sure he is used to it with his accent.
Describe the protocols Ilan Tur-Kaspa used in your cycles at Institute for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
Because I was PCOS, he used Metformin. I was on Gonal F, Menopur, esterace, Lupron, and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Monitoring appointments were so great for me, I went before work and usually was there at 7, only a few people there, first come first seen, I was never there more than 15-30 minutes
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ilan Tur-Kaspa at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Describe Ilan Tur-Kaspa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Human Reproduction.
He felt really strongly re a 1 embryo transfer, due to the risks associated with multiples. He did say if we wanted to try to transfer more than one he would let us.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
If not for Dr Cohen I don't think I would have stayed with IHR. I enjoyed seeing most of the staff on my many visits. They were friendly and welcoming. Otherwise the office just seemed like a mess to me and information was conflicting or non existent. I would expect to be lost and confused here if you are new to fertility treatments... During my time with IHR they seemed to have a difficult time keeping nurse coordinators and she was extremely over worked during my time with her.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
I felt more like a friend than a patient with Dr Cohen. He was always available when I needed him (which was a lot) and he seemed like he genuinely cared about me as a person. I know he treats many many patients at a time, but he always made me feel like I was his only patient.
Melissa was a great nurse coordinator. Due to circumstances beyond her control there were a number of times that results were given to me much later in the day than I was told to expect them. She was always apologetic and still took the time to answer any questions I had. I also had to reach out to her to get information about my transfer time and information because I never received it from her. I don't blame any of this on her. During my time with IHR they seemed to have a difficult time keeping nurse coordinators and she was extremely over worked during my time with her.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen is empathetic, kind, and funny. He was always in tune with exactly how I was feeling without me having to tell him. I can't say enough good things about him. Without him I would have been completely lost and confused during the IVF process.
Be open and honest. He will be with you. He will answer all of your questions if you ask them. IVF (or other fertility treatments) is especially confusing if you've never been through it before and it's almost impossible to retain all the information that's provided during an initial visit with Dr Cohen. You can always ask him to clarify or go over anything you need to again outside of appointments with him.
Dr Cohen told me right away that he would only transfer one embryo and I was just fine with this. I believe what he said was his goal was for IVF to be successful for me and it wouldn't be a success if I had two (or more) babies in the NICU or worse. I got the impression you have to have a pretty good reason for him to transfer more than one embryo on your first try.
Chicago
I really enjoyed this clinic. It was always first come first serve when we were going through your cycle. Which made it really nice since we were three hours away... It was always very clean and everyone was very helpful...[nurses were] Very personable and also kept me informed. Very easy to get ahold of...It [monitoring] was always in the morning so it was nice that it didn’t take up your whole day. But when you are going through this it’s all you think about so it didn’t really matter to me. You just have the mindset of the end result.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
I really enjoyed this clinic. It was always first come first serve when we were going through your cycle. Which made it really nice since we were three hours away. So if we got stuck in traffic one say it didn’t matter that we didn’t have to be at the office at a certain time. It was always very clean and everyone was very helpful.
During our consultation we had decided to try IUI since the cost of IVF is so high. Since we live three hours away from his office we were driving home and Dr. Cohen personally called us and told us how concerned he was that we weren’t doing ivf since we could get our embryos genetics tested to make sure they didn’t carry my brca gene. And how we didn’t just want a baby but a healthy one. It really meant a lot and we ended up doing ivf with testing. So thankful we did and now have our beautiful baby boy. He kept saying how he couldn’t stop thinking about us and our case. Just really meant a lot and we knew he truly cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Very personable and also kept me informed. Very easy to get ahold of.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
He was very personable and talked to you in terms you understand. Really took the time to get to know you and make you feel comfortable. It’s just a scary and exciting time. We always felt like he truly cared about us and you can tell he loves what he does.
Definitely go see him and see what he has to say because he will do everything it takes for you to have a family.
We did ivf with our embryos genetically tested. I did injections daily and sometimes twice a day during my cycle for the retrieval and also before the transfer.
It was always in the morning so it was nice that it didn’t take up your whole day. But when you are going through this it’s all you think about so it didn’t really matter to me. You just have the mindset of the end result.
I believe we spent around $28,000 for everything including one retrieval, genetic testing, two transfers and all medications.
We choose to do one embryo during our first transfer since we only had two good embryos.
Chicago
The only upside is that the morning waits were really quick and the U/S technicians and the women who drew blood -- were amazing. They were the only ones I felt who cared about me and knew my name...These nurses at IHR make a frustrating and heartbreaking fertility journey that much worse. They always got my meds wrong. Sometimes they got my protocol wrong. I had to find the errors and then follow up. And forget about getting someone on the phone. If you don't answer when they call, you'll never get to talk to them again.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
I chose this clinic because it was a nice size -- not as big as FCI and at the time the success rates were similar to Northwestern and FCI. But in retrospect, it's not worth it. I'd rather go to a huge clinic that was efficient. The only upside is that the morning waits were really quick and the U/S technicians and the women who drew blood -- were amazing. They were the only ones I felt who cared about me and knew my name.
The doctor's behavior varied between incredibly passionate and completely detached. At times, I felt like we were on the same team, reaching for the same goal. But many other times I felt like he did not fully comprehend everything i was enduring as a patient. This was particularly difficult because he cancelled FETs for me time and time again because my lining failed to increase enough (and because he only does transfers on Thursdays, so forget about what your body wants). There was a disconnect between my experience and what he thought my experience was -- and this was despite me repeatedly telling him I was unhappy and felt unsupported. While he sometimes would call me personally, the last time I was cancelled the nurse called. It was devastating, and he didn't even bother to take the time to call me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Sue, Melissa, Nicole, Maria, Wendy)
I had four coordinators in the period of a single year. By the end, I couldn't even pick my nurse out of a crowd. I never saw her. I didn't feel like any of them cared about me, except for the first (Sue) who left the practice. There is crazy turnover at this clinic and the nurses that get left behind evidently have a huge workload. I am at a new clinic now and the experience is night and day better. These nurses at IHR make a frustrating and heartbreaking fertility journey that much worse. They always got my meds wrong. Sometimes they got my protocol wrong. I had to find the errors and then follow up. And forget about getting someone on the phone. If you don't answer when they call, you'll never get to talk to them again.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
The doctor certainly seemed very informed and on the ball. But as I look back on my notes, I feel a little misled about his live birth rate success. He convinced me if we did PGS testing that I would have a 60-70% chance of getting pregnant because I'm under 35. His SART data, though, does not show that high of a percentage at all. At one point he told me I should be pregnant by now. He doesn't know why I'm not. It's either really bad luck or a uterine issue and we don't have enough data yet. But then month after month he'd basically pump me up with estrogen and put me through hell with no change and no success. He traveled frequently without giving me a heads up, and at one point I had to ask to be put on an extra week of estrogen just to coordinate with his travel plans so he could do my transfer (which was cancelled anyway). Your body is expected to work around his schedule, and I wish I had known how big of a deal that would be when I chose the clinic. He can be incredibly compassionate and funny. I really liked him personally, but at the end I wasn't pregnant and I felt like he wasn't taking responsibility. He is also very aware of issues within his nursing staff, and he doesn't take active steps to make it better. When I started with him in 2016 we discussed his poor Yelp reviews, mostly based on the staff. He said the problems had been taken care of. Let me tell you -- they weren't.
Go somewhere else! But if you stay, take detailed notes and always confirm in writing, via email, what he told you. If you don't understand something because of his accent, ask until you do. If you feel like you are starting to dictate your treatment because he isn't coming up with a plan of action -- run. Do not rely on the nurses to give you correct information abut protocol or meds. Be your own advocate. You can't trust them to get it right.
He triggered me with Lupron and we had 7 frozen, tested embryos. I thought I'd never have to do IVF again. I was wrong. One implanted, but was a pregnancy of unknown origin and they had to give me two doses of methotrexate to get "unpregnant." Each month my lining wouldn't get above a 8, so he would cancel my frozen transfer. I got to transfer one more, but it didn't stick. To get my lining to thicken, he pumped me full of ungodly amounts of estrogen (my serum levels were 2200+). I suggested patches, so we tried those. They didn't work either. I often got to a 7, but not when I needed to be for the purpose of his Thursday-only transfer schedule. I was told my embryos were perfect, but after the 2nd didn't stick I consulted with other clinics. I'm not sure how good IHR's outsourced lab is. And there are studies that triggering with Lupron makes eggs that are not high quality. He only used vaginal progesterone. Everyone else I know uses PIO injections, or both. So he finally relented and said I too could do PIO. But we never got that far.
They were the least offensive thing about this place.
Here is where we saw eye to eye. He refused to put in two quality embryos and fully explained all the risks of twins.
Chicago
The nursing staff [at Institute for Human Reproduction] isn't always easy to get In touch with. I believe they start lasts morning/afternoon. I have found that email is the best mode of communication. My coordination has made sure to answer all of my questions. She always makes sure to speak with me directly regarding protocol instructions so I can insure we are on the same page...The billing department is not great. I have had trouble contacting them both via phone and email. I have been seen at the office for many months before ever receiving an EOB for my fort visit. Payment for treatment is required prior to cycle start. Yet there was no one available to taken my payment when I went for my first monitoring appointment. I was told to call back in the afternoon so it could be taken over the phone. This may be in part because my initial appointment was at my OB/GYN's office where Dr. Cohen travels once a month to see patients. The staff isn't particularly warm, but has always been really helpful if any issues arise.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Dr. Cohen presented the pros and cons of each treatment option. He often said, "if you were my sister I wouldn't recommend.." for x treatment. I felt like he had both the best interest of my personal health and family at heart. He would often ask how I was doing if he could tell I was uncomfortable. I felt he genuinely cared about me as a patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
The nursing staff isn't always easy to get In touch with. I believe they start lasts morning/afternoon. I have found that email is the best mode of communication. My coordination has made sure to answer all of my questions. She always makes sure to speak with me directly regarding protocol instructions so I can insure we are on the same page.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen had made himself available if we have had any questions in the process. He did not trust my hsg results from my local hospital and completed an hsn in office. He felt that my previous diagnosis of blocked tubes was wrong based on his testing. At his recommendation we are trying IUI when I had previously been told my tubes needed to be taken out and ivf was my only option.
If possible I would recommend you have an initial consult at his office in Chicago. I live in another state and Dr. Cohen comes to my OB/GYN office once a month to see new referrals from that office. He did not have any office staff with him and even called us back from the waiting room. While there is nothing wrong with that, I felt I may have gotten more handouts or material to take home had we been seen in Chicago. It also may have allowed us time to meet with their financial coordinator. Dr. Cohen didn't leave a lot of time for questions in the first appointment. So if you have them, make sure to be upfront and ask at the beginning of the appointment. While he met with us for an hour and a half a majority of the time was reviewing my history, previous testing results, and discussing types/outcomes of ART.
After my hsn Dr. Cohen recommended IUI as he felt my tubes were clear and uterus fine. My first IUI was 50 mg if clomid says 5-9 of my cycle. I had baseline monitoring cycle days 5, 12, and 14. I had an ovidrel trigger shot on cycle day 15.My IUI was completed on cycle day 16. I was given progesterone and estrogen supplements to take untill my blood test.
There is a self-pay discount for treatment services as my insurance has no fertility coverage.
Chicago
My first nurse [at Institute for Human Reproduction], which I had most of the time i was there, was very difficult to talk to, it was difficult to get a hold of her to ask questions. I had to think of and ask a lot of questions. My second nurse that took over after the first nurse left IHR seemed much more professional and was easier to talk to....For the IUIs, I took one or two doses of clomid for five days, then ovidrel trigger after b/w and u/s monitoring, and a couple days after IUI, started progesterone support. Sometimes also included estrace/estradiol. For IVF, injections of menopur, follistim (adjusted as necessary based on ultrasounds), and then ganarellix, and finally, before the retrieval, leuprolide injection. In prep for the transfer, I was on estrace, progesterone, and medrol. Also, always lots of antibiotics. On estrace and progesterone until week 10. As far as I know, there was nothing particular about this protocol tailored to me as there weren't any special circumstances. This retrieval resulted in 34 eggs though I never had any symptoms at all; I felt perfectly normal the whole time, no discomfort whatsoever.
European, Middle Eastern
Dr. Tur-Kaspa always had a great attitude and sense of humor and treated me warmly. I could tell he was personally determined. During the few times you'll get to consult with him, he is patient and lets you take to your time, but you need to be prepared with questions. I also really got along with most of the staff and nurses as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
My first nurse, which I had most of the time i was there, was very difficult to talk to, it was difficult to get a hold of her to ask questions. I had to think of and ask a lot of questions. My second nurse that took over after the first nurse left IHR seemed much more professional and was easier to talk to.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Tur-Kaspa performed a hysteroscopy, an egg retrieval, and a transfer. I never experience any discomfort or pain, not even after the hysteroscopy, which I thought was amazing. (I had another hysteroscopy earlier on, and that was performed by Dr. Cohen of IHR.) One egg retrieval plus PGS resulted in 9 embryos down from 16 (which is a really great number), and after just one transfer, I was pregnant. While the IUIs were very frustrating, I don't know if I can complain much now that I had such great IVF results.
Do you as much as your own independent research as possible and ask a lot of questions so that you understand the process and timeline, whether IUI or IVF. For example, with my partner and my busy work/travel schedule, I had to understand the timelines very well to be able to plan or postpone certain treatment.
The PGS testing (which was outsourced to a lab) was $4,500 for up to 8 embryos and $250 for each additional.
Because we did PGS testing, it wasn't a question for him whether we would take the risk of multiple because doctor said he had a 70% success rate with single embryo transfers after PGS testing.
Chicago
There is no weekend monitoring [at IHR] which can cause some difficulties. The office staff had been very helpful when I have called with questions. I was just thrown into treatment and would have liked a better understanding of exactly what to expect each month. It makes planning for monitoring a little easier as I live in another state. The billing department does not seem to be on top of things at all. It was several months into treatment before I even received an EOB for my initial visit.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
There is no weekend monitoring which can cause some difficulties. The office staff had been very helpful when I have called with questions. I was just thrown into treatment and would have liked a better understanding of exactly what to expect each month. It makes planning for monitoring a little easier as I live in another state. The billing department does not seem to be on top of things at all. It was several months into treatment before I even received an EOB for my initial visit.
Dr. Cohen gave us pros and cons for each type of treatment option. He always asked if I was ok, and genuinely seemed to care. He would often say, "if you were my sister I wouldn't have you do.." for x treatment.
Nursing staff has been prompt. If you call you are unlikely to get a response immediately. I believe they are not in untill late morning/afternoon. I have found the best mode of communication with my nurse is email. They also have a voicemail patient portal to leave patient's messages about results. My coordinator has always make sure to talk to me directly if she is calling about protocol instructions. That way I can ask questions and ensure I am on the same page.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen is very caring, straightforward, but also optimistic about treatment options. I never felt like he gave me false hope. Has has always been honest about potential outcomes and realistic success rates. To be honest, I wish I was able to work with him more frequently than other members of office staff. My only qualm is about a diagnosis. I was initally referred for bilaterally blocked tubes. He completed an hsn and stated all was clear and that my tubes were fine. I am not sure this test is as specific for blocked tubes as my hsg. He seemed to completely trust his results and we are proceeding with his recommended treatment of IUI at this time.
If possible try to complete your initial consult visit at his main office. He came to my OB/GYN's office for my initial visit. He had no staff with him and was doing everything by himself. While this isn't necessarily a problem, I feel like we would have had more material like handouts to take home and review if the visit had been at his main office. He doesn't leave a lot of time in the first appointment for questions. So make sure you are upfront with those early in the appointment to get your answers.
David Cohen
Everyone I talked to at IHR, from Nona the financial consultant to the nurses, were great, and except for one or two instances they were great with communicating the daily information that was needed....Sue was fantastic - compassionate and understanding, and worked with our schedules. I know she worked late hours responding to voicemails and emails at all hours. ..The surgery center where the procedures took place was great! Clean and organized, and a convenient location for me.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The surgery center where the procedures took place was great! Clean and organized, and a convenient location for me. I also liked the loft-style office and that they played the Today Show in the mornings while I was waiting for my appointments :) They were usually quick to get back to me.
Everyone I talked to at IHR, from Nona the financial consultant to the nurses, were great, and except for one or two instances they were great with communicating the daily information that was needed. Dr. Cohen was very informative and understanding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Sue Padilla)
Sue was fantastic - compassionate and understanding, and worked with our schedules. I know she worked late hours responding to voicemails and emails at all hours. unfortunately she left the clinic towards the end of my treatment and there was a bit of confusion during the transition.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I was referred to Dr. Cohen by a friend who had just delivered a perfectly healthy baby and shared her experiences with me along the way. He was compassionate and easy to talk to, very understanding, reassuring and experienced. I felt very comfortable and positive with him.
Be patient with the frequent appointments, multiple times a week. They do have a lot of patients, but I appreciated that it was "first come first served" - on days that I needed to get to the airport for a 9am flight, I was able to come in at 6:30 and get my ultrasound and blood work done efficiently.
I started with Dr. Cohen in January after switching insurance so it would cover the procedures- I had been 6 months with another doctor on drugs and timed intercourse with no results. He gave me the option of doing IUI or going straight to IVF, which is what we chose due to my age (39, now 40) and everything was straightforward. I went through 3 retrievals - 4, 2 and then 7 5 day embryos resulted and were frozen to go through PGS, with 9 recommended for transfer. In retrospect I appreciate that he was conservative and I have enough embryos to potentially have additional children, but hind sight being 20 20 I could've stopped after 2 retrieval cycles and likely had plenty.
They had monitoring hours in the morning, so as I stated previously, it was very convenient for me to be able to go in early and still get to work on time (or occasionally to the airport for a flight!).
Ugh! I had to go on an Exchange Blue Cross Blue Shield plan because neither mine nor my husband's employers companies covered the treatments because they were "self insured". That out of pocket max was around $6,000 which I hit with my first order of drugs, plus a $400/month premium. However, everything else was covered except for the genetic testing, and each retrieval cycle was a few thousand dollars, and then because I had more than the average (7) embryos go through PGS, there was an additional charge for that as well (but I suppose that's a good problem to have).
Because we went through PGS, Dr. Cohen only transferred a single embryo, which made sense to me.
9 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Monitoring is first come first seen. The clinic says it opens at 6:45, but patients begin arriving at 6am - be prepared to wait...Women begin showing up at 6am. The US tech is quick and efficient and begins taking patients early. From start to finish, I am usually there 1 hr...The nursing staff is fine. Some are friendly and helpful, while others seem exhausted and annoyed. That said, I have had medication delivered to IHR when I couldn't receive it myself - and they unpacked it and refrigerated it for me. They have loaned me meds when mine didn't arrive on time...
9 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Dr Tur Kaspa knows my name, my situation, my story - he has empathized with my situation, hugged me, given me kleenex to cry. His partner, Dr Cohen performed my second egg retrieval, and I was so nervous when he popped in to introduce himself. His response, "I know all about you, your story, your history. Dr Tur Kaspa spent a long time speaking to me about your case, making sure I knew who you are. You are special. You are in good hands." I cried. I felt in good hands.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: allison, vernita, robyn)
The nursing staff is fine. Some are friendly and helpful, while others seem exhausted and annoyed. That said, I have had medication delivered to IHR when I couldn't receive it myself - and they unpacked it and refrigerated it for me. They have loaned me meds when mine didn't arrive on time. And once, I went to my coordinator's condo complex to pick up a box of meds after hours. Now that's care that doesn't happen at larger clinics.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Tur Kaspa is extermely direct. His directness took getting used to - but he cares and is invested. I might not always like what he says but he spends as much time with me as I need, is compassionate and doesn't give up.
Don't let his directness turn you off. Underneath he is kind and compassionate and he will try his hardest to get you pregnant.
EPP on estradiol, 400-450 Gonal F, 150 menopur, 1/2 vial omnitrope (hgh), ganirelex, lupron trigger. EPP, MD Lupron 10iu/2x daily, omnitrope 1/2 vial daily (2 days), add in, menopur 150 am, gonal f 450 pm (continue with MD Lupron and omnitrope) tried lupron cycle when my follicles didn't respond one cycle
Monitoring takes place from 6:45-9:30am. Women begin showing up at 6am. The US tech is quick and efficient and begins taking patients early. From start to finish, I am usually there 1 hr.
My OOP cycle was $10,500 plus meds. Embryo biopsy and freeze cost approximately $3000. I was charged a batching fee of $500 per cycle, which I did not like - why does it matter how many cycles I am doing? I tried to argue this charge and lost. Genetic testing is $4750 which is the highest of any clinic I have been to - which was disappointing to learn. Most of my cycles have been covered by insurance thankfully. For insurance covered cycles, I paid deductibles for meds, I paid cost of meds not covered by insurance, the batching cost, embryo biopsies and freezing and genetic testing (one test for all batched embryos).
Chicago
[IHR - Chicago] Strengths: Dr. Cohen. He is the reason I stayed there. As a new patient, I would advise that you be assertive, but patient and set realistic expectations in terms of turn around time for yourself and your RN. They will always get you the information you need, but as a patient, I do believe it is your responsibility to be on top of your care and question anything that seems off...
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Dr. Cohen is AMAZING. He is caring and compassionate while setting realistic expectations. He is available to his patients and you are in constant interaction with him. He is not the kind of doctor who you do not see. He is down to earth, level headed, and treats you like an individual. He will move as quickly or as slowly as you like, but always keep your ending goal in mind. I feel so fortunate to have found him and know he is the best dr. around.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Joseline)
She was always on top of my care, results, and status of where we were at. She was kind and available when needed. I appreciated her very much.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen is incredible. He is brilliant and up to date on all of the latest trends. He is experienced and looks at you as individual, opposed to just another patient. During his initial consult with him, we probably spent about 45 minutes together, and that was the first of many one on one consults. He is willing to try new things, but will always refer to the real statistics and scientifically proven data. He is down to earth, kind, trustworthy, good humored, and very available. I found his level to of care to be exceptional. Another thing I appreciated about him was that he didn't take advantage of us in terms of requiring procedures that were not necessary. I was desperate to have a child, and would have paid for every test under the sun, but he was confident that he had the information we needed, given our circumstances, and that with time we would have success. Even when I tried to convince him otherwise, he would remind me that he really thought we would have success, but he would tell me if after time, his thoughts changed, which I appreciated. I am forever grateful for his care, and respect him immensely.
Be direct and honest with Dr. Cohen. Ask him for his thoughts and reasoning behind doing things a certain way. He is a great blend of warm, but honest.
Given I have PCOS - we used Menopur and Follistm. I believe the dosage was between 75 - 150, so very minimal. He also recommended ICSI as my husband has sperm issues. His protocols resulted in tons of day 5 embryos. We initially did transfers without testing the embryos, but after no success, he recommended testing the embryos, which we did. My next transfer worked. We just had to find the right one, which he was saying all along.
The clinic is busy, and they typically run IVF cycles every other week. I would advise to get there early. They open at 6:30am, but you can typically arrive as early as 6:15am. That's how you will get in asap.
I do not know the cost. Thankfully we had good infertility coverage.
Chicago
The only thing that was sometimes a drag [at IHR - Chicago] was the early morning monitoring appointments. They are first come first serve so you never knew whather you'd be out in an hour or in 5 minutes. But never too bad and always quick once you were called...She [the nurse] was very kind and very patient worth my multiple emails. When she was out of the office, another NC would get back to me and they were great too. The nurses who did the IUI were also very warm and patient and spent a good amount of time with my husband and I answering questions...
He took time to meet with us, answered all questions and appropriately used humor to put us at ease. Very kind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Jocelyn)
She was very kind and very patient worth my multiple emails. When she was out of the office, another NC would get back to me and they were great too. The nurses who did the IUI were also very warm and patient and spent a good amount of time with my husband and I answering questions.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen and our assigned Nurse Coordinator were kind and patient. Dr. Cohen explained what his recommended treatments were, listening to what questions and concerns we had. Our NC responded quickly to my emails with questions and was patient in explaining things. The only thing that was sometimes a drag was the early morning monitoring appointments. They are first come first serve so you never knew whather you'd be out in an hour or in 5 minutes. But never too bad and always quick once you were called. We're really pleased with the thoughtful care from Dr. Cohen and the Nurses we worked with during the IUI's, as well as our NC.
May be silly, but parking is very easy for the early morning monitoring appointments and is very easy to get to. There also seem to be some days that have less wait times for the monitoring visits-I would ask what those are and go those days, if possible.
I was on Clomid 50mg (increased after first failed cycle I think), Ovidrel, Estrace (3x/day vaginal) and Crinone 8% 1x/day, combined with IUI. The second cycle was when the estrace was added (due to a thin lining, found during the first cycle), which is when we became pregnant!
Covered by BCBS HMO, except for HSG co-pay and cost of estrace co pay.
Chicago
[IHR is...] Small, intimate. Front desk staff - not friendly or warm. The phlebotomist is the nicest one! I felt like I had to be my own secretary- they often forgot paperwork and left me doing a lot of leg work to make sure each appointment happened. We waited over 45 minutes for an appt and Dr Turkaspa (Cohens partner) was not even made aware we were there waiting. It's walk in each day from 6:30-9am for blood work. I liked this aspect. I knew if I got there early I would be in and out fast!...
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Dr Cohen has a great bedside manner. We also saw his partner Dr Turkaspa who is aloof and hard to understand at times. Dr Cohen spent a lot of time with us answering questions and providing options when it was clear we needed to try something else.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Vernita)
Vernita had no "bedside" manner. She left confusing voicemails, was difficult to contact and once sent me someone else's test results ! We requested a new coordinator after that.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Strength: compassion, care , concern Weakness : not easy to reach via phone or email
Be choosy about the coordinator they assign you - they are not all equal. Ask for email or how to contact after hours. I often had to scramble when things came up on weekends or evenings
I have low egg quality and diminished reserve. He used the "max dose " of gonal F and certrotide. They also suggested prenatal vitamins
Go early and get out early. I liked that Monitoring was always MWF the first week - easier to plan my schedule.
Insurance paid for all except genetic testing which came to around 20k with batching fees etc
Chicago
The financial lady [at Institute for Human Reproduction] was terrible. Actually a large part of why we left th clinic. Took her over two weeks to get paperwork to us to even start treatment also was not friendly when trying to discuss insurance coverage, how tests/labs were going to be billed or already billed. We don't have infertility coverage and she genuinely seemed annoyed by that.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
All mornings are blocked off for walk ins for testing (labs, ultrasounds, etc) which is pretty nice. However, never received results like they promise you do at your initial consultation. The financial department is a nightmare to work with and that unfortunately is very important when receiving medical care that can add up to tens of thousands of dollars. Also very hard to reach staff by phone.
As someone who has a decent medical history he didn't even take my history into consideration. It felt that he made his recommendations based on routine practice instead of an individual assessment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Joselyn )
The financial lady was terrible. Actually a large part of why we left th clinic. Took her over two weeks to get paperwork to us to even start treatment also was not friendly when trying to discuss insurance coverage, how tests/labs were going to be billed or already billed. We don't have infertility coverage and she genuinely seemed annoyed by that.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen himself was nice, appeared competent and experienced. He is personable. The actual clinic is a mess and then the surgical center he uses for all of his procedures is also not the best (difficult parking, EXPENSIVE even with insurance and flighty staff).
You correspond with your nurse more than the MD so if the nurse/ancillary staff are not strong it will be difficult to get through. Even with he best MD recommendations and prescriptions you need a good nurse to guide you.
Not too sure- most billed to insurance and then couldn't get additional costs from the financial lady.
Chicago
It is a smaller clinic [IHR] so you get more personalized care. The doctors are great, the nurses and staff, particularly the coordinators, can be hit or miss. The morning baseline and test routine is taxing and difficult, especially if you work and don't know how long things will take each time you go in. You don't always get results by the time you are supposed to which is also stressful. However, when there are scheduled procedures or appointments things go very smoothly and people are very nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
It is a smaller clinic so you get more personalized care. The doctors are great, the nurses and staff, particularly the coordinators, can be hit or miss. The morning baseline and test routine is taxing and difficult, especially if you work and don't know how long things will take each time you go in. You don't always get results by the time you are supposed to which is also stressful. However, when there are scheduled procedures or appointments things go very smoothly and people are very nice and helpful.
The dr always was willing to talk to me individually when needed and answered answers specific to my situation
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
They have a lot of patience, and can be slow to respond or not very compassionate. Sometimes they don't explain things well and several times there were mistakes, mix-ups or medicines not ordered. I had to definitely be my own advocate and push to get the right information or things corrected. Usually they assumed things were my mistake when in fact they almost never were. Also, the protocol for morning baselines and test is long and trying. You have to be there early and never know how long it make take. Once you are meeting with someone, however, the staff are in general very nice, especially with it being so early in the morning.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen was very proactive with our care. When things didn't work he would suggest what next steps and tests we could do to find out answers. He wasn't pushy with these options (PGS, ERA, etc) since some cost extra money, but giving us the options right away was helpful rather than going through more failed cycles before trying. From the beginning he was wonderful and informative to meet with, however I don't think he set up our expectations on the time and emotional and physical toll everything can take, as well as about potential delays that can happen. Once we started to understand all of these items over time, on our own we were able to deal with them better. I just wish I had understood more about how long and taxing the whole journey could be earlier on.
Don't be afraid to reach out to him with questions or concerns. He is caring and willing to explain things, but also busy so you also need to be your own advocate if you have questions or concerns.
Since we didn't have any other issues other than unexplained infertility, we followed fairly regular protocols with the addition of estrace to increase lining. Dr. Cohen didn't require birth control between each cycle which I preferred because of the added delay and birth control sometimes hurt more than helped my cycle. When we did have to use birth control in preparation for a test or getting to the next cycle, I often didn't have to go through the whole cycle before we could move ahead. Since the waiting can feel like forever, these small adjustments made a big difference in feeling like we were moving forward.
Monitoring was only in the morning between 6:30 am - 9 am, first come, first serve, where you would have to go in and wait. At a minimum it would take 30 min if it was empty, other times I was there for close to 2 hours. You could not schedule time and you never knew how long it would take, so adjusting for work was difficult.
IUI's were $1,500 (before insurance), 2 cycles of IVF + PGS (not including medicine) $10,000 (after insurance), ERA test $900
2013 - 2014
Egg Freezing, 4 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Results were left on the call-in voicemail, through e-mail, and phone calls, and I never really knew which method to check, or WHEN to expect them [at IHR]. Made for very stressful days waiting on results. Positive pregnancy results were usually phoned in, but one time was left on the voice-mail call-in, so after waiting an entire day past the 5pm close time of the office, I was justifiably angry to find out they had been on the call-in all along. Also, pregnancy results should ALWAYS be communicated via a phone call.
2013 - 2014
Egg Freezing, 4 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Strengths - smart doctors who are willing to go the extra mile to get results, compassionate nursing staff. Cons - not always reliable communication with staff
Dr. Tur Kaspa was very knowledgeable about my particular case and history, however the 'cattle call' of monitoring, and no attention to detail of the clinic had me feeling like just a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Very compassionate, and relatively easy to get a hold of. Cons - terrible with result communication, and high nurse turnover. Results were left on the call-in voicemail, through e-mail, and phone calls, and I never really knew which method to check, or WHEN to expect them. Made for very stressful days waiting on results. Positive pregnancy results were usually phoned in, but one time was left on the voice-mail call-in, so after waiting an entire day past the 5pm close time of the office, I was justifiably angry to find out they had been on the call-in all along. Also, pregnancy results should ALWAYS be communicated via a phone call.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
His bedside manner left a LOT to be desired. When setbacks did occur, he would often answer tough questions with "It's just biology!", and during each of my four retrievals he 'personally thanked' my husband for his service and sacrifice. Funny the first time, but after months of exhaustive fertility treatments, by retrieval #3 and #4, I wanted to scream "WE GET IT." A little pushy with the 'sales front', but I do feel like he was extremely attentive, and always willing to adjust protocol to get desired results. Overall I'm torn over the entire experience as a patient with him, we were happy with results, but felt like he could be insensitive.
Stay on top of the clinic, and try not to take his 'jokes' personally.
Hard to remember all of the protocols, but he adjusted as necessary.
Completely unpredictable Waiting anywhere from 15 min - 1.5 hours. Ultrasound tech was very fast, kind, and took patients in early.
mostly covered by insurance. PGD previously paid for through insurance, but separate PGD clinic recently changed policies and no longer takes any insurance except Aetna.
He strongly preferred one transfer since we were using PGD, which we were happy with
2012 - 2014
7 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
I felt like the communication was absolutely terrible. You had to chase them to get any answers and when you called to follow up, they made you feel dumb for doing it. Dr. Tur-Kaspa was inaccessible and cold - especially for how small a practice it is.
2012 - 2014
7 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember)
They turned over a bit and weren't that readily available. Wouldn't answer emails and only called back when it was convenient for them - not you. Didn't communicate with the Doctor very well, so if things went wrong there was no way to get in touch
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I thought he was very demeaning and had terrible bedside manner. Always made it sound like as a woman I wasn't qualified to make decisions without my husband - even though I'm very knowledgable. I felt like he just did the same thing over and over again expecting different results and was never around when things went wrong.
I think he is used to "easy cases" and has a huge ego being that he is "well known" and people come all the way from Israel to see him (his words). He doesn't dig deep enough or think outside of the box. I don't need to be Molly-coddled; but, a little bit of compassion after a miscarriage would be nice. Ie: the first call shouldn't be about when you will schedule your next transfer.
He was pretty good at adjusting my meds consistently; but never explained the protocol clearly. We used bravelle and Menopur - I was very successful in terms of #'s retrieved; but, none of the blasts stuck for a successful pregnancy (and we never changed protocols for FETs)
If you get there right when they open, it's not terrible; but if you get there after 7, good luck! You can't make appts.... First come first serve
2011 - 2013
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
Gary, Maria, the others [staff at IHR - Chicago] were fantastic. I always looked forward to seeing Gary! Since the staff was small, people got to know you and you got to know them. All the staff were kind and professional...Luckily, our insurance covered most of the service and medications (though we still had considerable expenses). Billing was mostly clear and handled through the University. I never felt pressure to pay before services...
2011 - 2013
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
To clarify... I saw Dr. Cohen when he was the head of the University of Chicago's office. He is now at a different practice. This review is of the UofC's clinic. Their small size is their strength. They can treat patients with respect and kindness.
Dr. Cohen treated me like a sister. He was honest, rational, empathic, supportive, and always accessible. He quickly responded to emails, never rushed me, got to know me and my husband, and was always professional. I adore Dr. Cohen and he is the only person I ever refer friends to. His staff was fantastic. Fertility treatment sucks, and I never dreaded going to his office knowing I would be met by such warmth by Dr. Cohen and his staff.
Gary, Maria, the others were fantastic. I always looked forward to seeing Gary! Since the staff was small, people got to know you and you got to know them. All the staff were kind and professional.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen said I had a 15% chance of getting pregnant, yet I did. Twice. Dr. Cohen always explained everything extremely well, he was considerate, kind, and even funny. I truly felt like I was treated like an individual.
Come prepared and ask as many questions as you have. Dr. Cohen will be honest, and he will not sugarcoat the answers, but he will try his hardest for you.
I went to see Dr. Cohen due to genetic issues, but ended up being a "poor responder" to treatment. Dr. Cohen personalized my treatment and, guess what, success!
Monitoring appointments were first-come, first-serve, first thing in the morning, but that worked fine with my work schedule. There was one ultrasound technician, Deb!, who was kind and funny. There were two changing rooms to get changed in and the procedures were quick and easy.
2012 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
[IHR - Chicago clinic is] Very friendly, helpful and great. Easy parking. Good location right off the expressway...We could always go in at our convenience from 6:45 am-9:30 am Monday -Friday sometimes it was very quick and sometimes it took an hour at the most before completed but not too bad. I didn't have to take off work which was really nice. Never felt like a cattle call...
2012 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The staff was super friendly, always treated me by name and made me feel like I was their number one patient. Dr. Tur-Kaspa made me feel special and that he knew me well. Also was kind, funny and personable to my husband as well.
Dr. Tur-Kaspa is a terrific and knowledgeable Dr. The first live birth took me 7 transfers (3 miscarriages followed by 3 non pregnancies but he stayed positive and tweeted my meds until we got our baby. Then with 1 embryo left 2 years later, he told us about a test that made sure they were transferring at my most receptive window. The ERA test told us that I needed 12 more hours of progesterone so we went for it with just the 1 embryo and I am now 14 weeks pregnant!
Ask him about the ERA test. And choose him as your dr. He is excellent.
Insurance covered most. Frozen transfers were $3000 something (covered) ERA TEST $800 (not covered) Embryo freezing $1300? Hen $800 a year (not covered)
2012 - 2013
The Oak Brook coordinator [at Institute for Human Reproduction] was horrible!! We LOVED the doctor but rarely saw him, as in Any fertility center, however felt as though the coordinator was horrible. In such a delicate time you HAVE to treat patients with compassion and care, something she was unable to do...Mary was just plain rude, both clinics were old and dirty, and we didn't like having to go downtown for all procedures. I did speak to the doctor about Mary and it didn't seem that there were many options. Also all of my paperwork that I obtained when I left was handwritten notes. There was no portal or way to get results except through Mary
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The doctor is the strength and that's about it!!! The actual clinics, both of them, were old and dirty.
The Oak Brook coordinator was horrible!! We LOVED the doctor but rarely saw him, as in Any fertility center, however felt as though the coordinator was horrible. In such a delicate time you HAVE to treat patients with compassion and care, something she was unable to do
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Mary )
She was horrible. She had a minimal personality and always seemed to be angry. We miscarried both cycles and her choice of words and lack of compassion is why we left. I get that this is a job to her, but each cycle and life that we lost was our life...... I was so incredibly disappointed that we were treated with such a disregard to any of our emotions
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr TurKaspa is a great man. His bedside manner was extraordinary and he was always kind. He has a great sense of humor and I appreciated that at such a difficult, stressful time. We met with three doctors and went with him first. Both my husband and I left our first consult and felt like he was the best fit. What we didn't know, being first time infertility patients, was that you rarely see the doctor. While it's extremely important to like the doctor, it's equally if not more important to like the nursing staff
Make sure you are comfortable with the nursing staff
We did a clinic cycle first with double iui's, then an I medicated cycle with trigger, iui's, and progesterone
Insurance covered most of it but our deductible
Oakbrook
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
They [the staff at IHR-Chicago] are great at what they do, and are easy to communicate with! They have an email system and also call you every day to let you know your monitoring results. The place is clean and comfy. The location downtown is hard to find on your first go... He prefers to do just one embryo for the FET, but will do 2 for the frozen embryo transfer.
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
They are great at what they do, and are easy to communicate with! They have an email system and also call you every day to let you know your monitoring results. The place is clean and comfy. The location downtown is hard to find on your first go.
Dr Cohen always makes me feel very comfortable.
They are a great balance of professional and personable.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen is a very straight forward guy. He is also very thorough in explaining what happens biologically in every step of the process with every different drug I take. While moat of the visit is strictly down to business, he also takes time to talk with us about our jobs and share bits about his life with us as well. Dr Cohen is very professional and seems to know every obscure question you ask to him and will even have historical information to back it up! He's a very smart guy but also down to earth.
Just make sufe you leave knowing exactly what your next steps will be. Dr. Cohen will make you feel comfortable.
Weve only done IUI so far, and are starting IVF now after the three standard failed attempts.
Covered by insurance
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Dr. Tur-Kaspa [at IHR] did the ERA test on me in November and took too much of a sample, which appears to be unheard of. I had to redo the test, which was stressful. The only positives that came from this is Dr. Cohen did the second test and it came back that I was not receptive during the time that I was transferring. My protocol was adjusted. I also did not have to pay for the second ERA test.... Robin is phenomenal! She is punctual with her communication and always goes above and beyond to inform me of upcoming procedures and will answer any questions that I have.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
There is only one ultrasound tech and phelobotomist that works in the mornings at the Chicago location, which can cause a backup when trying to get to work in the morning. They are organized and are accurate with insurance checks and scheduling.
Dr. Cohen is extremely compassionate and treats you like an individual. I genuinely feel as though he wants success for me, because it would complete my family, not to increase his stats. He is always available to answer questions, and is open to hear my input and questions regarding treatment options. Overall, he has been a wonderful addition to my treatment team!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Robin)
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen is extremely personable, compassionate, and knowledgable in the medical field. He always offers an explanation and does so in a manner that does not feel as if he is belittling you. He also has a great sense of humor, which definitely lightens the mood during times which can be stressful.
Chicago
Dr. Cohen [at Institute for Human Reproduction] was able to provide some discounts when we paid with credit card...Our assigned nurse coordinator was amazing! She was always available to answer questions and explain next steps. We had difficulty with another nurse who did not communicate as well, but it was a one time incident...One time, a presciption was not called in and I had to call the after hours line. We had some billing issues following pregnancy (needed for FSA).
Dr. Cohen is extremely personable and has a wonderful bedside manner. I felt comfortable with him from the moment we met!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen was regularly available to discuss treatments and our plan. He is very knowledgeable and shared his knowledge in a way that we were able to understand. He is extremely trustworthy and comforting, and I could not imagine having gone through such a difficult process with any other doctor.
Let him guide the way with your input. Ask questions and be informed!
Our first cycle was natural. After a negative test following the first IUI, we tried Clomid, then Letrizole, then back to a stronger dose of Clomid. I did a trigger shot before each IUI, followed by Estrace and Progesterone following each attempt (and for 12 weeks once pregnant).
We paid for everything out of pocket, 100%. However, Dr. Cohen was able to provide some discounts when we paid with credit card.
2009 - 2012
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
My nurse coordinator was fantastic... The ultrasound tech at the satellite clinic was always friendly and chatty and super concerned. The doctor himself called me upon occasion. They all genuinely cared about me as a patient and a person.
2009 - 2012
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
My nurse coordinator was fantastic. She knew me. She could ask me questions about my life, my husband, my family. The ultrasound tech at the satellite clinic was always friendly and chatty and super concerned. The doctor himself called me upon occasion. They all genuinely cared about me as a patient and a person.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Mary Fowler)
She took the time to know me individually. She *always* had a word of encouragement, and it was my nurse coordinator who convinced me not to give up.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Tur-Kaspa explained everything, and when delivering bad news or dismal statistics, he do so with compassion and kindness. He answered everything I asked, even when I asked the same question over and over again. He made his email available for any question I thought of and wanted to ask before an appointment. He was on vacation in Israel when I miscarried twins, and he called me personally to convey his condolences.
If you don't understand what he says, ask again. And again. Occasionally his accent gets in the way of complete understanding the first time around.
Chicago
[The nurses at Institute for Human Reproduction] Forgot to call in my meds. Was Olgas [nurse] fault...Olga is difficult to work with. The coordinator was new, so I understood there were some difficulties there, but Olga was truly the unpleasant, difficult person in the office...We went to ICSI IVF due to MFI. We had failed IUI's, which was expected and basically to appease insurance. IVF was a success, 5 embryos total, 1 transferred for my first pregnancy resulting in a live birth, and he performed an FET for my second (one embryo) resulting in a current pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Strength- dr Cohen Weakness- some support staff
Dr Cohen is the most caring physician I have worked with, including all specialties.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen is the best. His level of detail, and desire to help you makes him the best candidate for any fertility needs. He truly cares about his patients, and isn't in it just for the money like others!
Go to him!
Insurance covered
Due to my age and no female factors, he only gave us the option to transfer one.
Chicago
The monitoring [at IHR - Chicago] is done as a first come first serve basis. In order to be seen quickly you should be there as early as 6:20 to be 1st through 3rd in line so you can get to work on time...The nurses were always very helpful. They were available to help and answer any questions. They were also very gentle when drawing blood or when I needed an ultrasound. Always open to answer any questions...
Everyone in the office is nice. Dr. Tur-Kaspa is very nice and reassuring of getting you pregnant.
Dr. Tur-Kaspa reassured me that he would get us pregnant. He was always very upbeat on the days of transfer which made me feel more at ease of the process. I was able to speak to him candidly about my concerns and he listened and did what I wanted. He never told us no.
Be an advocate for yourself, he will listen to what you want.
The monitoring is done as a first come first serve basis. In order to be seen quickly you should be there as early as 6:20 to be 1st through 3rd in line so you can get to work on time.
My insurance covered all major procedures ( BCBS). I paid a co pay to talk to the dr. and when I had transfers and retrievals or any other surgery.
Chicago
Go early for blood works [at Institute for Human Reproduction] so you don’t have to wait long. They have different times you have to visit so you may have to change your work schedule. If you missed the call, they will leave you ra detailed message so you don’t have to worry about missed calls...I was said I could not get pregnant with my own egg by another doctor and Dr Tur Kaspa agreed to work with me and the treatment was successful if getting a viable embryo from my own egg. He also found cyst on my ovary that the other doctor had missed. He didn’t over promise but delivered the result.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Go early for blood works so you don’t have to wait long. They have different times you have to visit so you may have to change your work schedule. If you missed the call, they will leave you ra detailed message so you don’t have to worry about missed calls.
He talked with personal touch .
You are in good hands. Don’t hesitate to discuss your own expectation
Growth hormone for reproductive use was not covered by insurance
I had only two viable embryos and I preferred to have both
Chicago
Emails and calls are always returned promptly and communication with nurses [at IHR- Chicago] and the doctor is great...
dr. Cohen is very accessible and a great educator. He takes a lot of time with you each visit and responds to emails same day typically no matter how small the question.
Emails and calls are always returned promptly and communication with nurses and the doctor is great.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen is extremely caring with his patients, always set reasonable expectations, and is accessible to his patients. I learned more from one consult with him that 7 months with another doctor.
Email him and ask lots of questions. Let him know what concerns you are secretly researching online so he can help you with research and answers.
2013 - 2015
4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Most of the time things go right [at IHR], but I've been frustrated on occasion...I have found myself waiting for a response and feeling unsure about what to do or how to reach someone who will know what my situation is.
2013 - 2015
4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Cohen got to know me and my husband over the last years and the staff at IHR is pretty good about remembering me. There have been mix-ups, but I have not felt like a number.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
If you know of another kind of treatment that you think might be useful in your situation, bring it up. I've done that a few times, and we've added those to our protocol.
IHR runs well during monitoring hours. I have only had to wait as long as an hour once. I'm usually done with bloodwork and ultrasound in about 45 minutes or less.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
I came to IHR [Institute for Human Reproduction] after going to another clinic. IHR is a small clinic so the staff and doctor really get to know you as we person.. There was only one nurse at this clinic and she always remembered me and remembered things we had talked about at previous appointments.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
I enjoyed going to this fertility clinic because it was small. Everyone from the front desk to the medical personnel knew my name, what cycle on was on and was always very friendly!
I came to IHR after going to another clinic. IHR is a small clinic so the staff and doctor really get to know you as we person. Dr. Tu Kaspa was direct, humorous and very uplifting. I would definitely recommend using IHR if you are struggling with infertility.
PCOS, Unexplained
No communication with doctors or nurses [at Institute for Human Reproduction]. Everything is done over a 800 number. No one remembers you...
PCOS, Unexplained
No communication with doctors or nurses. Everything is done over a 800 number. No one remembers you.
I am so lost as to the procedures at the clinic. It is a complete mess.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
He has an amazing bedside manner. The rest of the office is a mess.
Be present. Communicate more.