7.3

100 Walnut Ave
Clark, NJ 07066
(973) 322–8286
East Windsor
300-B Princeton Hightstown Rd.
East Windsor, NJ 08520
560 Springfield Ave
Westfield, NJ 07090
(973) 322–8290

Treated 2019 - 2020
If you’re okay with just going along and not having much communication, [Dr. Stephanie Thompson will] be a fine choice. You have to advocate for yourself and ask questions. She’s not going to take the initiative, you have to...While in the office with her she was kind and sympathetic but we only saw her maybe 3 times over the course of 9 months...We once had the first appointment of the day and she walked into the clinic 45 minutes after our appointment started...When speaking after a failed transfer the Dr clearly hadn’t even reviewed my chart— suggesting we do a fresh transfer when the whole reason we were there was because we needed to do PGS testing and thus, a frozen cycle
I don’t know that we were given any rationale, just instructions [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas]. We did Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Menopur leading up...I went to the pharmacy to pick these up and there were two other prescriptions waiting — more doxycline and medrol. Not once had anyone noted to me that these would be part of the protocol. I had to call to ask what they were for...There was no education other than some videos they sent and it was tough to reach anyone to ask questions. They don’t assign you a specific nurse so no one really knows you or your case.
How was your experience with Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
She was kind when we actually interacted with her, but we barely interacted with her. We were a ‘textbook case’ so I think she just gave very standard treatment. It didn’t work and she didn’t note any suggestions she’d change for the next time. Our appointments were always less than 20 minutes and while my Questions were usually always answered, I just didn’t feel confident and happy leaving the appointments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
If you’re okay with just going along and not having much communication, she’ll be a fine choice. You have to advocate for yourself and ask questions. She’s not going to take the initiative, you have to.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
While in the office with her she was kind and sympathetic but we only saw her maybe 3 times over the course of 9 months. They wouldn’t allow phone conversations unless she initiated it, even just to ask questions about change in treatment, they were pushing for an appointment. We once had the first appointment of the day and she walked into the clinic 45 minutes after our appointment started. I wasn’t assigned one particular nurse, and while many (but not all— more on that later) were very kind, no one knew who I was. When speaking after a failed transfer the Dr clearly hadn’t even reviewed my chart— suggesting we do a fresh transfer when the whole reason we were there was because we needed to do PGS testing and thus, a frozen cycle. Even when I went for morning monitoring, many days a week for weeks in a row, no one bothered to remember my name or smile and say hi. The ultrasound techs could’ve been working on a cadaver, they barely even acknowledged me.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Thompson used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
I don’t know that we were given any rationale, just instructions. We did Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Menopur leading up. It was lower dosage as I had a high-ish AMH. My husband was on doxycycline before retrieval and I was on it after. Before transfer I was on estrace for many days, and then PIO injections for a few weeks before and after transfer. I went to the pharmacy to pick these up and there were two other prescriptions waiting — more doxycline and medrol. Not once had anyone noted to me that these would be part of the protocol. I had to call to ask what they were for.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
The main nurse in the Hoboken Office (Kim) is not kind. Anytime I asked her a question she acted as though I was an idiot or it was annoying. There was no education other than some videos they sent and it was tough to reach anyone to ask questions. They don’t assign you a specific nurse so no one really knows you or your case. Paulina was kinder and more helpful, though hard to get a hold of at times. The on call nurses (Jen, Jen, and Aly) and the OR nurse Kathy that I spoke to were GREAT! They were the most pleasant part of this clinic. There’s just very little information or education given.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
It’s dirty and just feels run down. The experience of going for morning monitoring is awful. The ultrasound staff honestly don’t act like you’re a human, give you no info about what’s happening, and barely mumble hello when they walk in. The Hoboken office is gross. The front desk staff is very kind and helpful, at least. Going to Livingston is a pain and they’re the only spot open on weekends and it’s always PACKED. The surgery center is fine, but also very run down. Nothing about it gave me a great feeling. I did outside monitoring while with family a few times and felt much more comfortable at that clinic than I did at my own.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
THE WORST. Everyone’s just cranky and rude and it doesn’t seem organized. My absolute least favorite part of this experience. The monitoring staff in Hoboken and Jersey City both were just cold and unpleasant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Insurance luckily covered most of my care.
Describe Stephanie Thompson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Treated 2019 - 2020
If you would like her [Dr. Hessler] to do the procedures she might be able to schedule it so that she is the covering DR when the time comes...has made herself available by phone/email even on days off if need be...My husband and i wanted to start conservatively, so we first started tracking my ovulation with the drs office, we later started Femara and Ovidrel, and moved onto two double IUIs with Femara and Ovidrel. We are now saving for IVF...With male factor and PCOS i think she explained our situation to us very clearly. I do wish i got to touch base with her before the cycle to know what was ahead when we switched from Ovulation tracking to IUI. It was hard to know what was next if i hadn't gone out of my way to educate myself or made a point to ask the nurse. With the deadlines in each treatment i could have missed a cycle.
Im happy driving further to the Clark office [of Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science Barnabas] because they are so on top of everything, they know me by name, and they are clear with their directions and answers no matter how often i ask questions...Alicia is the best admin i think i have every come into contact with. She goes out of her way to answer all your questions as quickly as possible and it seems like your the only patient in the office ( your not its a huge office lol). The nursing staff is amazing, they are available to you via phone and email and answer any and all questions you have as quickly as they can. The phlebotomists at this office could be better. While theyre incredibly nice they often cant find my vein and im left with bruises.
How was your experience with Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Dr. Hessler did a great job breaking down our diagnosis and plan for treatment. While it may have taken a while to talk to her on the phone at times we still got through when we needed to. With male factor and PCOS i think she explained our situation to us very clearly. I do wish i got to touch base with her before the cycle to know what was ahead when we switched from Ovulation tracking to IUI. It was hard to know what was next if i hadn't gone out of my way to educate myself or made a point to ask the nurse. With the deadlines in each treatment i could have missed a cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Ask questions, reach out to her if your not clear on something. She will take the time to walk you through it. If you would like her to do the procedures she might be able to schedule it so that she is the covering DR when the time comes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
While the doctors rotate in this large clinic, i spent most of my time in the clark office where i know everyone by name and they know mine. Dr. Hessler has made herself available by phone/email even on days off if need be.
Describe the protocols Sarah C. Hessler used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer G.)
When i picked the office i knew that i would be dealing with the nurse and staff more than the Dr. So i went out of my way to look for reviews that spoke of the overall office. Im happy driving further to the Clark office because they are so on top of everything, they know me by name, and they are clear with their directions and answers no matter how often i ask questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Honestly my costs are high but that is because of my health insurance. Im sure the clinics prices are higher because of its location as my sister paid less for IUI in NC .
Describe Sarah C. Hessler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
I believe this clinic does Single Embryo Transfers.
Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Hessler looks me in the eyes, shows compassion and will tell you everything that’s going on as it’s happening. She explains it all, and in such a way that you don’t feel broken about yourself afterward... We haven’t started our cycle yet (when I met with her for the first time it was to determine the issue, and then correcting it with surgery)....I had asked about multiple embryo transfer, but dr. Hessler explained to us that due to my age (27) that she believed we would have a successful cycle using just one embryo and that ultimately it is safer for me and for our potential baby.
You’re comfortable when you walk in [Institute for Repro Med & Science], I think that’s all you can ask for in this type of environment. It doesn’t feel like you’re in a clinic. I haven’t come across anything I would view as a weakness....[Cost of Treatment] Estimated 14,000 to start $1000 retrieval $600 anesthesia $1000 transfer plus cost of meds... I email constantly and always get a response very quickly as if I was their only patient....Dr. Hessler looks me in the eyes, shows compassion and will tell you everything that’s going on as it’s happening.
I was so afraid to step foot into that office for the first time not knowing what to expect. I left with my heart feeling full of possibility. I know that she is going to do everything to make me a mom, she is such a kind woman, and a compassionate doctor. I am grateful that she is my first experience with infertility. Couldn’t ask for better
To walk in knowing you’re going to be getting the best treatment. Skepticism isn’t needed because she’s instantly trustworthy
We haven’t started our cycle yet (when I met with her for the first time it was to determine the issue, and then correcting it with surgery). Then my husband and I were going to see her again after our wedding. We were scheduled to start our first cycle on April 18, but due to insufficient funds needed to push it back to September 2019! Still saving!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jenn)
You’re comfortable when you walk in, I think that’s all you can ask for in this type of environment. It doesn’t feel like you’re in a clinic. I haven’t come across anything I would view as a weakness.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Cekleniak was extremely warm and compassionate. She took the time to explain everything to me, and was happy to answer every question and repeat it for me. She was honest and I felt looked out for my best interest. One time when I asked for her to call me, she called back within 20 minutes. When we needed time to make a decision, she let us have it and did not pressure us on what to do- she only gave us her recommendation. I did not see her often during monitoring, but she assured me that she was the one reviewing my charts every day.
The clinic [Institute for Repro Med] is extremely large, and when you go for monitoring so often, you feel like a number. But as you start to go more often, the doctors (and staff) become more familiar with you and start to know your name or specifics on your body/case....For the most part, they are fast- but when it gets really crowded- you might wait for a long time. In the course of 6 months, there were 3 mornings where I had to wait over an hour because the doctor was late.
How was your experience with Natalie A. Cekleniak at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie A. Cekleniak at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
If you are looking with good bedside manner who is kind, warm and compassionate- she is the right choice for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie A. Cekleniak at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
The clinic is extremely large, and when you go for monitoring so often, you feel like a number. But as you start to go more often, the doctors (and staff) become more familiar with you and start to know your name or specifics on your body/case.
Describe the protocols Natalie A. Cekleniak used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
We tried three medicated IUIs at first, with increasing dosage of Gonal F. We then moved on to an IVF cycle with the maximum dose (300) of Gonal F with cetrotide. Unfortunately, I only created 2 follicles. So the next time, we moved on to Gonal F with microdose lupron twice a day and that resulted in 10 follicles, with 7 eggs retrieved, 5 of which were mature.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Lourdes and Anne)
Almost all of the time they responded to me quickly and took the time to give me all of the answers I needed. The only time I was frustrated was after my retrieval, I didn't hear from them for 2 days.
It depends on the day. Most days it was a well oiled machine and I was able to get out quickly. There were at least three times within 6 months where the dr was so late, I was there for over an hour and a half.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie A. Cekleniak at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
IVF is $12,000 at this clinic
Describe Natalie A. Cekleniak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
No comments
Livingston

I like a lot of explanation, and I have had to push to get my questions answered [by Dr. Stephanie Thompson]...answers questions completely, you just have to get the appointment to ask her...My cycles have been Clomid and a converted-to-natural because a cyst formed from the Clomid. There is no plan to change from Clomid for my current cycle, despite the cyst. Both completed IUIs resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr Thompson’s recommendation has been to go directly to IVF since the beginning, but my insurance requires three IUI cycles to cover IVF.
Kim [nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] often appeared irritated by my questions on the phone. I got the impression that she had too much on her plate...Infertility is difficult and unpredictable, and IRMS did not specifically make that easier for me...The Hoboken office shares space with an OB-GYN, so you will likely be in the waiting room with infants. On the weekends you will need to travel to Livingston for treatment, which can be inconvenient. The patient portal is useful, but the billing section is very confusing, and I had to make a request to be emailed invoices before paying a bill. Otherwise the staff is very responsive to calls and emails.
I like a lot of explanation, and I have had to push to get my questions answered. I would recommend requesting a consultation appointment after each (failed) cycle, because the clinic does not automatically schedule them. Dr. Thompson answers questions completely, you just have to get the appointment to ask her.
Keep track of your treatment plan yourself and be sure to advocate for yourself.
This clinic has a lot of patients, and you need to keep careful track of what your individual treatment plan is, as you may have to remind them about things you have discussed with the doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim Neilley)
Kim often appeared irritated by my questions on the phone. I got the impression that she had too much on her plate.
My insurance covered most of it. Ovidrel injections were about $200 each.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
I’m not sure if my experience at IRMS is very different from other clinics. Infertility is difficult and unpredictable, and IRMS did not specifically make that easier for me.
Hoboken

Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner and her nurse Jennifer Giordano is truly out of this world fantastic!...I felt fully heard and listened to. She took her time walking me through her recommendations, I never felt rushed while in her presence. She has a great sense of humor and great disposition overall....Dr. Hessler added Prednisone, Lovenox, baby aspirin and ultimately Neupogen to the protocol pre-transfer and into the pregnancy. So far, I am almost 4 weeks and counting.
Monitoring at IRMS Clark is a well oiled machine. They really do get patients in and out in a timely manner regardless of how busy they get.... IRMS' strengths are the multiple locations, the efficiency of the staff (they get you in and out), that all of the doctors are women and they run a well oiled machine in terms of communication, appointments, etc. They're spread throughout so most people can find a location that works for them and you can visit different locations based on schedule changes if needed.
As previously discussed, Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner, I felt fully heard and listened to. She took her time walking me through her recommendations, I never felt rushed while in her presence. She has a great sense of humor and great disposition overall.
Feel free and empowered to ask your questions. If you don't understand something ask the questions. She's also great via email as well.
I met with Dr. Hessler after previously working with Serena Chen. I wanted a difference experience and felt like Dr. Hessler was more empathetic in her dealings with me whereas Dr. Chen was more matter of fact. I was also armed with a second opinion so I came into the conversation better prepared to discuss what I thought was at play with prior unsuccessful cycles. Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner and her nurse Jennifer Giordano is truly out of this world fantastic! She was the big difference maker for me even beyond Dr. Hessler because there is simply more contact with the nursing staff than even the doctors.
I'd gotten a second opinion which diagnosed endometriosis, PCOS and insulin-resistance. Per the protocol recommended by the second opinion, Dr. Hessler added Prednisone, Lovenox, baby aspirin and ultimately Neupogen to the protocol pre-transfer and into the pregnancy. So far, I am almost 4 weeks and counting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Giordano)
Jennifer Giordano is the best nurse I have ever encountered in my life. She goes above and beyond for her patients, is incredibly responsive, takes care of the big and small details and follow-ups were always on point. She is the distinguishing factor for the IRMS experience in my opinion. It was an absolute pleasure interacting and engaging with her and she made the experience so much smoother than it would've been but for her diligence and attention to detail.
IRMS' strengths are the multiple locations, the efficiency of the staff (they get you in and out), that all of the doctors are women and they run a well oiled machine in terms of communication, appointments, etc. They're spread throughout so most people can find a location that works for them and you can visit different locations based on schedule changes if needed. This was particularly helpful in the monitoring phases.
Insurance covered the bulk of the cycles but I had my deductible ($2700) and co-insurance. For each cycle, I paid btwn 3000-4000 out of pocket for genetic testing, deductible and co-insurance payments.
IRMS strongly favors single transfers advising that multiple embryo transfer increased the risk of failure and complications. I was in agreement that the goal was to have a safe and successful pregnancy and opted for single embryo transfer.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Doctor Mann is an extremly compassionate, trust worthly and overall outstanding doctor. I began to see her for treatment of my urterine frybriods. This is after two seperate OB's said there was nothing to worry about. She performed a simple surgery to remove them. What a difference...After I healed I continued to see her for fertilty treatment. We were successful on the first round. My pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage. Even though by this time I was treated by my OB. I continued to communicate with Doctor Manns office weeks after my D&C. This is because I was not getting my period. Doctor Mann got my blood tested and we found out that there was remaining tissue left over from the D&C that was preformed by my OBGYN ( not affiliated with Doctor Manns office) Doctor Mann was able to perform another D&C and help me recover. I trust this women with my life.
[The nurses at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] are the sunshine of that whole office. It is depressing, awkard and a constant battle some women have with fertility. They are always cheerful, helpful, compassionate, and caring. They know you by name...Everyone at [Dr. Mann's] office treats you like a individual. Very warm and personable...Doctor Mann is an extremly compassionate, trust worthly and overall outstanding doctor.
How was your experience with Jessica Salas Mann at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Doctor Mann is an extremly compassionate, trust worthly and overall outstanding doctor. I began to see her for treatment of my urterine frybriods. This is after two seperate OB's said there was nothing to worry about. She performed a simple surgery to remove them. What a difference. I was amazed. My periods were lighter and I did not have pain. After I healed I continued to see her for fertilty treatment. We were successful on the first round. My pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage. Even though by this time I was treated by my OB. I continued to communicate with Doctor Manns office weeks after my D&C. This is because I was not getting my period. Doctor Mann got my blood tested and we found out that there was remaining tissue left over from the D&C that was preformed by my OBGYN ( not affiliated with Doctor Manns office) Doctor Mann was able to perform another D&C and help me recover. I trust this women with my life.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Salas Mann at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Go in early, make sure you have all your medical records.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Salas Mann at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Everyone at her office treats you like a individual. Very warm and personable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Denise, Bernice, Kerri, Megan )
These women are the sunshine of that whole office. It is depressing, awkard and a constant battle some women have with fertility. They are always cheerful, helpful, compassionate, and caring. They know you by name.
Just a sign on the door on where you line up. Doors open at 6:30am and some of us need to get to work or whatever . So inform those who are coming in early to line up on the left side of the door. Because women tend to cut each other in line. And that is not the doctors fault. Its just regular hormonal women being assholes.
Jessica Salas Mann
Long Branch
Dr Chen is warm, very knowledgeable and no nonsense. She explains everything, answers questions and truly listens to out concerns. She is also very kind when giving bad news, which is something I've struggled with in the past when seeing other doctors.... Dr. Chen was such an amazing find. After being dismissed from 2 OB/GYN because "you're young, you have time. Just wait". She truly listen to my concerns, gathered info on my husband and I, out lifestyle, diet, everything, then proceeded to ask for the tests we needed.
The only weakness I found is that their jersey city office [IRMS] is not so nice looking. Is generally clean and comfortable but I'd hope it to be a little fancier when you're paying thousands of dollars for a treatment.... Nataliya is great. She always gets back to me and answers my emails. She's not as kind and delicate as Dr. Chen but I also appreciate the quick straight to the point info she gives me.... The cycle of ivf (fresh transfer) will cost $9k, plus 5-8 thousand more for medication.
How was your experience with Serena Chen at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Serena Chen at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Call way ahead. It took me 6 weeks to get the first appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Serena Chen at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Dr. Chen was such an amazing find. After being dismissed from 2 OB/GYN because "you're young, you have time. Just wait". She truly listen to my concerns, gathered info on my husband and I, out lifestyle, diet, everything, then proceeded to ask for the tests we needed. Whenever we got a result that wasn't great, she called me personally which was very helpful to discuss options from the get go. We will proceed to do IVF with her and I'd trust her with my eyes closed.
Describe the protocols Serena Chen used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
Not there yet, but we'll 100% have to do IVF since my tubes are blocked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Nataliya.)
The only weakness I found is that their jersey city office is not so nice looking. Is generally clean and comfortable but I'd hope it to be a little fancier when you're paying thousands of dollars for a treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Serena Chen at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Serena Chen
Jersey City
Treated 2018 - 2019
Sarah Hessler is amazing. She is very welled mannered. She takes her time with you and your spouse. She discusses everything that has to be done and every worry that is brought up. She responses quickly to me through email or her receptionist.... She understand if an appointment is missed or something came up and will adjust the treatment as necessary. I hope to be having the best results with her! Prayers for 2019
They [Institute for Repro Med & Science at Saint Barnabas] all work as a team with the patient and they take the time out for each patient. The clinic is clean and is set up to fit the patients needs. They are very organized and responsible. The clinic always calls with reminder or rescheduling and they make sure that everything is convenient for you.... Sarah Hessler looks at my case and explain very throughly what needs to be done. She is understanding if an appointment or blood work is missed.
Sarah Hessler is amazing. She is very welled mannered. She takes her time with you and your spouse. She discusses everything that has to be done and every worry that is brought up. She responses quickly to me through email or her receptionist. She is the best doctor I have seen and I can’t wait to move forward. She understand if an appointment is missed or something came up and will adjust the treatment as necessary. I hope to be having the best results with her! Prayers for 2019
Listen to what she has to say. Her opinion might make the biggest difference.
Sarah Hessler looks at my case and explain very throughly what needs to be done. She is understanding if an appointment or blood work is missed. She responds quickly and reassures you of everything. I am happy with her and I can’t wait to keep going. Prayers to iui hopefully end of year
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Always calls with results and put them on portal.
They all work as a team with the patient and they take the time out for each patient. The clinic is clean and is set up to fit the patients needs. They are very organized and responsible. The clinic always calls with reminder or rescheduling and they make sure that everything is convenient for you.
For iui I only have a 30 dollar copay for each visit and ivf would cost 15000 dollars
Clark
Debbra [Dr. Keegan] was very open and honest while still being kind and friendly. She asked about our lives and commented on what was beneficial to our journey. She was on time and spent our entire 3 hour consultation with us. I explained concerns and she explained why they probably wouldn't be an issue but offered to conduct the tests to comfort my mind.
The clinic [IRMS] was small. Dr. Keegan was the only doctor there with only a handful of nurses. This made us feel more comfortable than if we went to a large office. We went to their other location once and it was very large which was overwhelming. We would definitely recommend the East Windsor location over the Livingston location.... There were only a handful of nurses in the office by every single one was excellent.
How was your experience with Debbra A. Keegan at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Debbra was very open and honest while still being kind and friendly. She asked about our lives and commented on what was beneficial to our journey. She was on time and spent our entire 3 hour consultation with us. I explained concerns and she explained why they probably wouldn't be an issue but offered to conduct the tests to comfort my mind.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debbra A. Keegan at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Be very honest and ask any questions you have in person.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debbra A. Keegan at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
She got to know us the first time meeting us. Everyone in the office was extremely kind and caring.
Describe the protocols Debbra A. Keegan used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
The plan was to use IVF with ICSI to achieve pregnancy but due to my insurance we couldn't start there. With our MFI it was unlikely that anything else would work. We ended up becoming pregnant while still going through testing.
There were only a handful of nurses in the office by every single one was excellent. They all knew our names and were comfortable calling us to discuss what needed to be discussed. They made us feel welcomed and comfortable.
The clinic was small. Dr. Keegan was the only doctor there with only a handful of nurses. This made us feel more comfortable than if we went to a large office. We went to their other location once and it was very large which was overwhelming. We would definitely recommend the East Windsor location over the Livingston location.
East Windsor
She [Dr. Cekleniak] was super relatable and positive. She talked to me with enthusiasm and gave me hope that starting a family with my husband is a very strong possibility. She actually called me with all results.... Best doctor i have ever been too. Her passion for her patients and her practice. Above and beyond what i expected. She caught a problem that no other practitioner has before and for that i am truely grateful
So far so good. I havent had a lot of care team interaction, but the entire office [IRMS] is extremely helpful and caring...The only weakness for me is the in-hospital location and due to current renovations parking and finding your way can be tricky. Strengths are numerous, caring, devoted, personal, understanding, compassionate.... 1 ivf cycle is roughly 17000 total incuding off site fees
Same exact answer as the previous question. Best doctor i have ever been too. Her passion for her patients and her practice. Above and beyond what i expected. She caught a problem that no other practitioner has before and for that i am truely grateful
Be prepaired for positivity and having hope instilled in you
She was super relatable and positive. She talked to me with enthusiasm and gave me hope that starting a family with my husband is a very strong possibility. She actually called me with all results. Not the nurse (not that there is anything wrong with nurses calling) . it made me feel like she truely care. Not just a number at the meat cxcounter... Over all,I plan to send all that are having trouble conceiving to her pratice. With out a doubt.
She is very concerned abot hyper stimulation. Opting for frozen transfer to minimize my risk. Making sure i take care of myself, phyically emotionally
So far so good. I havent had a lot of care team interaction, but the entire office is extremely helpful and caring
The only weakness for me is the in-hospital location and due to current renovations parking and finding your way can be tricky. Strengths are numerous, caring, devoted, personal, understanding, compassionate...and many more
1 ivf cycle is roughly 17000 total incuding off site fees
As a petite woman and a hopeful 1st time mom, i am loveing the single embryo option
Westfield

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Keegan goes above and beyond for us. She is incredible and always accessible when we need her. She even helped us fight insurance. She's a gem.... The office, while part of a larger group off offices, is very small. Dr. Keegan is the only doctor at that office and she knows all her patients personally. Whenever we meet with her, she answers all our questions thoroughly and ensures we have a full understanding of what is going on and what is coming down the line.
They [Inst for Repro Med & Science] are organized, offer good hours, are compassionate and very clean! The front desk staff are just as much a part of the treatment process as the nursing staff, and they know you personally, which really helps to feel like you're not just a number.... The office, while part of a larger group off offices, is very small. Dr. Keegan is the only doctor at that office and she knows all her patients personally.
Ask lots of questions if you have them, she gives great advice, anecdotes and examples to help you better understand your issues.
They are organized, offer good hours, are compassionate and very clean! The front desk staff are just as much a part of the treatment process as the nursing staff, and they know you personally, which really helps to feel like you're not just a number.
EXTREMELY efficient and well run!
Describe Debbra A. Keegan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
We haven't gotten to the transfer stage yet but, from what I understand, she and the other doctors within the team believe a eSET is the safest and healthiest approach.
East Windsor
She [Dr. Cekleniak] told us we could only do eset. She did not offer to transfer mosaic with 5aa embryo ... She called me when it was bad news. I always felt like she cared and was rooting for us. ... Loved her. Was reluctant to leave irms but after 3 retrievals, she was not going to change anything about protocol. She did not suggest anything different like vitamins or accupunture so I went somewhere for 2 opinion
I liked the receptionist area [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas]. They were warm and caring. The staff doing the blood test are very welcoming and nice. There is a rotation of doctors for monitoring. All of them rotate throughout all the locations. You never know which doctor will be there until you arrive ... Agonist protocol. We used 2 most aggressive with lupron, cetrocide. Cycle 1 and 3 were best embryo grade but negative pregnancy rates
For any doctor, have an idea of different avenues for treatment from the beginning. Be told about donor eggs or sperm from day 1.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Michelle lowe)
Very informative and caring. Loved that after phone call and there was a portal that had info there
I liked the receptionist area. They were warm and caring. The staff doing the blood test are very welcoming and nice. There is a rotation of doctors for monitoring. All of them rotate throughout all the locations. You never know which doctor will be there until you arrive
Well oiled machine during the week. Weekend could be busy
Out of pocket pgs testing, biopsy, storage of embryos, freezing
She told us we could only do eset. She did not offer to transfer mosaic with 5aa embryo
Hoboken

The doctor [Dr. Hughes] and the nurse were kind, compassionate. I would feel anxious going for the treatments but after seeing/talking to them, I will be at ease.... We were new to fertility treatments and the doctor explained the treatment well. I was anxious initially but the doctor and the nurse made me feel comfortable with every visit. It was nice that the same doctor would visit me every time unlike some other clinics.
I had a good overall experience though I had to discontinue treatments here [at Institute for Repro Med & Science at Saint Barnabas] due to personal reasons. It was nice that the doctor visited every patient and did the procedure herself and the nurse is very kind too. The cost of IUI was cheaper here compared to other clinic. They are primarily paper based and so there won't be much digital records - this would have been nicer to have.
How was your experience with Patricia Hughes at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patricia Hughes at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Ask lot of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Patricia Hughes at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
The doctor and the nurse were kind, compassionate. I would feel anxious going for the treatments but after seeing/talking to them, I will be at ease.
The nurse was very kind and gentle, I'd feel so much at ease around her.
I had a good overall experience though I had to discontinue treatments here due to personal reasons. It was nice that the doctor visited every patient and did the procedure herself and the nurse is very kind too. The cost of IUI was cheaper here compared to other clinic. They are primarily paper based and so there won't be much digital records - this would have been nicer to have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Patricia Hughes at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
The IUI for a cycle was about $200
Patricia Hughes
Hackensack
She [Dr. Hessler] wrote/drew notes of everything we discussed and made a copy so we can review and disseminate at home. She was always honest and funny. She took the edge off of a tense situation. I was well aware of my chances and outcomes... Everything was explained in a considerable and easy to understand manor. She was always available for questions and the staff was wonderful
Early morning monitor hours so I was never late to work. The main weekend offices [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science] were easily accessible. The nurses were always encouraging and gentle. My instructions were always available before 3 pm... Everything was explained in a considerable and easy to understand manor. She was always available for questions and the staff was wonderful
She wrote/drew notes of everything we discussed and made a copy so we can review and disseminate at home. She was always honest and funny. She took the edge off of a tense situation. I was well aware of my chances and outcomes
Have a sense of humor
Gonal F and Menopur. Cetrotide and then Novarel as the trigger shot
Early morning monitor hours so I was never late to work. The main weekend offices were easily accessible. The nurses were always encouraging and gentle. My instructions were always available before 3 pm

Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Hessler] was very friendly and easy to talk to. I was happy with her care, but it is a large clinic so I never had her doing any of my actual procedures. I also was not happy with the way that the news of my miscarriage was delivered to me. ... When i miscarried, I found out through the patient portal. I then could not get in touch with a nurse or doctor for 3 hours and the doctor still did not contact me for a few days. It was very upsetting and I did not understand what was happening.
In Clark it [monitoring appointments] was very easy. When I had to go to Livingston on the weekends, it was more hectic and annoying. ... Too big, don't hear from or see the actual doctor a lot. Nurses are very friendly and helpful and always greeted you by name and knew each patient. ... When i miscarried, I found out through the patient portal. I then could not get in touch with a nurse or doctor for 3 hours and the doctor still did not contact me for a few days.
She was very friendly and easy to talk to. I was happy with her care, but it is a large clinic so I never had her doing any of my actual procedures. I also was not happy with the way that the news of my miscarriage was delivered to me.
Be prepared for things to change.
Did 3 IUIs with letrozole, followed by 1 with Gonal-F and then IVF with Gonal-F and Menopur. It felts like every step of the way a new hurdle was discovered which was very frustrating.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
They were great!
Too big, don't hear from or see the actual doctor a lot. Nurses are very friendly and helpful and always greeted you by name and knew each patient. Why does this have to be 200 characters? I am literally writing just to take up characters to go to the next question. I think this character limit is stupid.
In Clark it was very easy. When I had to go to Livingston on the weekends, it was more hectic and annoying.
$12,000 for IVF with $1,000 on day of retrieval and $600 on day of transfer. IUIs were $600
Clark

The Hoboken clinic [of Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] is well located. But ones needs to travel to the Livingston center for any major procedure and also during the weekends. Also faced billing discrepancies across the different centres...She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] has a nice Professional behavior. She has effectively listened to the questioned that we had. But it would be good to understand all the steps and the processes ahead of the time in an transparent manner...Please perform research on the process involved and frame your questions ahead of time...
She has a nice Professional behavior. She has effectively listened to the questioned that we had. But it would be good to understand all the steps and the processes ahead of the time in an transparent manner.
Professional behaviour
The Hoboken clinic is well located. But ones needs to travel to the Livingston center for any major procedure and also during the weekends. Also faced billing discrepancies across the different centres.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Keegan will always prefer a SET when possible... devised a protocol that would be most beneficial for me based on my age and past experiences. She also made herself available to perform ultrasounds herself when she was concerned... is extremely knowledgeable, passionate and patient. She leaves no stone unturned. My husband and I had two unsuccessful IUI and IVF cycles under another doctor's care and turned to Dr. Keegan with the hope of a different outcome. Upon meeting Dr. Keegan, her passion for the industry and her positive, fresh perspective restored our hope. Unfortunately, the first IVF cycle did not result in a healthy pregnancy so the next cycle she collaborated with the IRMS team and tweaked the protocol. The retrieval was successful and we were lucky to send the embryos for PGS. We had 2 healthy, vital embryos and so the plan was to have a single FET, but Dr. Keegan wanted to maximize our chances and delayed the transfer. Dr. Keegan suspected a concern with my endometrium and referred me to a surgeon. I had laparoscopic surgery, confirming endometriosis. I never would have known. After healing and preparing for the transfer, I am 9 weeks pregnant. Yes, it is early but I remain hopeful as Dr. Keegan and her staff always monitor with a careful eye and offer support. My husband and I recommend Dr. Keegan and the IRMS team without reservation!
Jenn [nurse at IRM&S at Saint Barnabas] was very helpful in coordinating medications with insurance and explaining the instructions...The East Windsor office is welcoming and supportive. Every member of the team plays a vital role. I am forever grateful to Kelly, Sara, Jean, Jenn M, Jen I and Susan, and of course Dr. Keegan herself! Joanne and Margo are patient and helpful in scheduling and greeting me with a friendly face. The office felt like home because of all of them.
Dr. Keegan is extremely knowledgeable, passionate and patient. She leaves no stone unturned. My husband and I had two unsuccessful IUI and IVF cycles under another doctor's care and turned to Dr. Keegan with the hope of a different outcome. Upon meeting Dr. Keegan, her passion for the industry and her positive, fresh perspective restored our hope. Unfortunately, the first IVF cycle did not result in a healthy pregnancy so the next cycle she collaborated with the IRMS team and tweaked the protocol. The retrieval was successful and we were lucky to send the embryos for PGS. We had 2 healthy, vital embryos and so the plan was to have a single FET, but Dr. Keegan wanted to maximize our chances and delayed the transfer. Dr. Keegan suspected a concern with my endometrium and referred me to a surgeon. I had laparoscopic surgery, confirming endometriosis. I never would have known. After healing and preparing for the transfer, I am 9 weeks pregnant. Yes, it is early but I remain hopeful as Dr. Keegan and her staff always monitor with a careful eye and offer support. My husband and I recommend Dr. Keegan and the IRMS team without reservation!
Ask questions and trust in Dr. Keegan.
Dr. Keegan devised a protocol that would be most beneficial for me based on my age and past experiences. She also made herself available to perform ultrasounds herself when she was concerned. The office staff always addressed my husband and myself by name.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jenn M.)
Jenn was very helpful in coordinating medications with insurance and explaining the instructions.
Monitoring was a breeze! The staff has a routine and it is efficient!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Debbra A. Keegan at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
I am very fortunate to have health insurance that covered most of the expense. As with any fertility treatment, it is expensive but the office will provide support and best options.
Dr. Keegan will always prefer a SET when possible.
East Windsor
She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] is wonderful in person, but can be hard to get in touch with once you leave the office... this is when the nurses come in and you have direct communication with them. It would be nice to talk to her more, but it worked out...She knew I had to go on Menopur with trigger for ovulation. She was 100% confident this was the line of therapy...took the time to talk to us and "calm me down" knowing everything was going to be OK Doctor Nps
Kim [nurse at IRMS], was very responsive and always followed up if I reached out with questions. She started off very direct, but her personality warmed up and she was very caring towards the end...Overall, good experience. Easy to get in touch with, always had a response within 20 mins if I had a question and everyone was caring and understanding especially during a difficult time. Even the morning monitors were great and put you at ease.
Dr. Thompson was terrific, especially during such an emotional time in our lives. She was reassuring and confident with the plan of action. She always had an answer and knew what was going on. I liked her so much, my sister is now seeing her!
She is wonderful in person, but can be hard to get in touch with once you leave the office... this is when the nurses come in and you have direct communication with them. It would be nice to talk to her more, but it worked out.
Dr. Thompson took the time to talk to us and "calm me down" knowing everything was going to be OK
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim, was very responsive and always followed up if I reached out with questions. She started off very direct, but her personality warmed up and she was very caring towards the end
Monitoring was covered by insurance, but not medicine
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Mann and her staff made my wife and I feel like we were a team and a family. She always took time to answer questions, make sure we knew what was going on, express her professional opinions, and provide encouragement and positivity...was incredible during the whole IVF process. She always took time to answer questions, clarify things, explain the process and next steps, and was always a source of love, compassion, and encouragement even during the tough times.
Denise nurse [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] treated my wife and I like family. She always took time to answer questions and was a compassionate, positive, and loving person...Lovely atmosphere and great staff . As patients, staff made you feel like you were part of a team and a family. I absolutely would recommend clinic and Dr. Mann to anyone without hesitation or reservation...
Dr. Mann was incredible during the whole IVF process. She always took time to answer questions, clarify things, explain the process and next steps, and was always a source of love, compassion, and encouragement even during the tough times.
Don’t hesitate to Ask questions and make sure you have an understanding of what is going on. You will absolutely love her.
Describe the protocols Jessica Salas Mann used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Denise N)
Denise treated my wife and I like family. She always took time to answer questions and was a compassionate, positive, and loving person.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Salas Mann at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Not sure
Describe Jessica Salas Mann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Jessica Salas Mann
Treated 2017 - 2018
She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] was kind and sympathetic, but her treatment was her standard treatment he gave to everyone of her other patients...She never thought of the latest research, or anyhing tailored to my ethnicity/background...was the only doctor in the Hoboken location, she saw dozens of patients but also had limited hours. She sticks to standard procedures (for me it was 3 different paths I could take), you barely get a chance to speak to her, its always through her nurse or someone else at the practice. I felt like a number, someone spending all their lifetime max on useless treatment that didn't get us very far.
[Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] was full on weekday mornings, the earlier you get there, the sooner you can be seen. On weekends you have to go to their Livingston location, and that could take up to 3 hours to be monitored. It's pretty bad either way..They need to start to tailor their protocol per patient a bit more, and let the patient see the doctor more often or be able to talk to them. They are definitely maximizing their profit with the least amount of work. They don't understand patient don't have all the money in the world to spend. Because of this clinic, we ended up using all of our lifetime max.
Dr. Thompson was the only doctor in the Hoboken location, she saw dozens of patients but also had limited hours. She sticks to standard procedures (for me it was 3 different paths I could take), you barely get a chance to speak to her, its always through her nurse or someone else at the practice. I felt like a number, someone spending all their lifetime max on useless treatment that didn't get us very far. Her explanation was diminished ovarian reserve, blocked tube, and male infertility factor. She never thought of the latest research, or anyhing tailored to my ethnicity/background.
If you really would like to try her out, and can afford it, do no more than one round with her. I would recommend going to one of the other locations, but even there, you are a number.
She was kind and sympathetic, but her treatment was her standard treatment he gave to everyone of her other patients.
we started with antagonist I believe. The second time it was the opposite, but with priming (birth control pills).
The main nurse was rude, I understand she does this everyday. As a patient spending a lot of money, worrying about your own body, and if you can even have a child in the future- she doesn't have patience to explain anything. I have e-mails to her panicking when I first received all my medication - I was overwhelmed, she never went through a training. All the information given to us was outdated. I don't expect coddling, but I do expect education. Patients are not medical experts, and I highly doubt medical experts want their patients to resort to googling how to inject. The rest of the staff (with the exception of the women who drew blood and were at the front desk) were extremely cold and rude. They just wanted to do the next ultrasound and go home and "keep the line moving". The nurse had us throw away expensive medication before our second round (which costs $6k) because the insurance will always cover it. We blew through our lifetime max because of stuff like this.
They have too few doctors for the number of patients in hoboken, they need a kinder nursing staff, and they need to update their standard of care towards their protocols. They need to start to tailor their protocol per patient a bit more, and let the patient see the doctor more often or be able to talk to them. They are definitely maximizing their profit with the least amount of work. They don't understand patient don't have all the money in the world to spend. Because of this clinic, we ended up using all of our lifetime max.
It was full on weekday mornings, the earlier you get there, the sooner you can be seen. On weekends you have to go to their Livingston location, and that could take up to 3 hours to be monitored. It's pretty bad either way.
n/a, we didn't do embryo transfer with her.
They provided zero patient education regarding administering medication, understanding financials, they billed us incorrectly and were extremely unorganized. They claim they work as "a team" but they don't. We asked them to be careful financially so we can understand what we're doing before moving too far, and that was a failure.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Thompson is sweet and I'm sure she is a capable doctor. That said, I had almost no interaction with her or any doctors throughout my cycle...I was suspected of having endometriosis (endometrioma on one ovary), and was given an antagonist protocol (225 Follistim, 75 Menopur). After my cycle failed, I was told I was a low responder despite having normal AMH levels... The clinic [IMRS] has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day. I did not feel like I got any individual attention, and was not updated with the status of things at all.
It seems that IRMS has too many patients for individual attention....The clinic is well organized during monitoring hours, and you'll be in and out of the office quickly. The phlebotomist team is exceptional, and they were my favorite part of visiting the office. The online portal is nice and convenient. The clinic has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day...You also have to go to the Livingston office for any procedures.
Dr. Thompson is sweet and I'm sure she is a capable doctor. That said, I had almost no interaction with her or any doctors throughout my cycle. It didn't seem like anyone was reading my charts, and even after my cycle had failed, she wasn't familiar with my condition or retrieval results. It seems that IRMS has too many patients for individual attention.
Email her directly with questions or update every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim N.)
I was assigned a primary nurse, but I only interacted with her once or twice during my cycle. Whichever nurse is on call at the moment will reach out to you with instructions. Aside from Natalia in the Livingston Office, the nurses aren't very friendly, but will get you instructions in a timely fashion. One of the night-time on call nurses was outwardly annoyed that I called her about pain and a swollen hand vein after IV administration.
The clinic is well organized during monitoring hours, and you'll be in and out of the office quickly. The phlebotomist team is exceptional, and they were my favorite part of visiting the office. The online portal is nice and convenient. The clinic has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day. I did not feel like I got any individual attention, and was not updated with the status of things at all. Also, it was annoying to have to drive to Livingston on weekends and holidays. You also have to go to the Livingston office for any procedures.
Monitoring hours are well-organized. If you go to a branch office like Hoboken, there is an ultrasound technician. If you go to Livingston on the weekends or holidays, a doctor will give you your ultrasound.
$3775 for monitoring (ultrasounds, office visits, and various blood tests); $10725 for procedure/embryology fees, ICSI would be an additional $2120 if needed; Embryo cryopreservation is $1350; PGD biopsy is $2500; PGD testing is through an outside company and would be an additional ~$6000; Surgery center fees were ~$1500; anesthesia fee was around $600. We had insurance, so we had insurance adjustments. I was told that if you pay everything out of pocket, the IVF procedure/embryology fees would be around $9000, which does not include monitoring.
A different doctor did my embryo transfer. We transferred our only two embryos on day 3 because they were low quality.
I was a low responder to the IVF drugs, but was not told this until after my cycle had failed. I had to call the office to ask if it was appropriate to proceed, given that the ultrasound technician only found two follicles.
Treated 2017 - 2018
[Dr. Margaret Graf Garrisi] has been candid and compassionate along the way and this has made my husband and I feel more comfortable with the process. She has explained everything in a way that is easy to digest, even if it's not been the information we were hoping for at the time...She is thorough and she provides answers to all of your questions but be certain to take notes so you can reflect on it all after you've left the appointment.
The minimum cost for one cycle [at IRMS] will be $12,000. If we opt to do two cycles then we will be faced with a cost of approximately $21,000...I do not have any complaints with IRMS. They have flexible hours, a friendly staff and they are close to where I live. Given that I am in a situation with trying to conceive that I certainly didn't want to find myself in, the treatment and response from this clinic has been overall positive and has made me feel better.
How was your experience with Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
We have not yet started our cycle so we've only had a few appointments with the doctor. However, she has been candid and compassionate along the way and this has made my husband and I feel more comfortable with the process. She has explained everything in a way that is easy to digest, even if it's not been the information we were hoping for at the time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Take notes! She is thorough and she provides answers to all of your questions but be certain to take notes so you can reflect on it all after you've left the appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Dr. Garrisi has always made our concerns and questions feel valid. She is patient, thorough and direct. We really appreciate her approach and her positive, yet honest communication style.
Describe the protocols Margaret Graf Garrisi used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
Again, since we haven't started our cycle (but are hoping to later this spring), this is difficult to answer. I have my list of medications planned but this will all be finalized as we get closer to the start date.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim McNeilly)
All of the nurses and staff have been patient, kind and quick to respond to my questions/emails/messages. It's been a very positive experience and for that I am very grateful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
The minimum cost for one cycle will be $12,000. If we opt to do two cycles then we will be faced with a cost of approximately $21,000.
Margaret Graf Garrisi
Treated 2015 - 2018
Most of the nurses [at IRMS] and even the lab technicians were great, but the Hoboken main nurse was often cold and often seemed annoyed. However, they are doing what the doctor tells them to do and although she was not pleasant, I care much more about my doctor, so the nurses personality was really not much of a concern for me.... Their strength is working with you financially and being responsive. Advice would be if you are having trouble to talk to someone and find the right person to help you
Dr. Thompson was great and I would recommend her to anyone. Although the I did not get pregnant, I believe she did everything in her power to help me. She was realistic with me and even though I knew egg donor was a possibility and we discussed it, I never felt she pushed it on me (as I have heard from friends about their doctors). She was always willing to listen to my concerns and was very compassionate. She was sensitive to the fininacial stress of infertility as well as all the emotional stress. I think a lot of people write bad reviews of doctors when they do not get pregnant, but it’s not her job to perform miracles, it’s her job to work to the best of her ability to help us achieve a pregnancy. Unfortunately, she is not magic and she is working with the human body. She can not control my advanced age or medical problems. She did everything she could to help me and was sincerely disappointed with me when it did not work. She is supportive, knowledgeable, kind and available and that is really everything I wanted in a doctor.
If you need more from her, just be kind and ask and if it is a realistic expectation she will probably be willing help you!
Dr. Thompson was always kind and recognized me when I was there for appointments. It would not even occur to me to say I was treated like a number.
I went through 4-6 (can’t remember exactly) egg retrievals and we honestly used almost every protocol available.
Most of the nurses and even the lab technicians were great, but the Hoboken main nurse was often cold and often seemed annoyed. However, they are doing what the doctor tells them to do and although she was not pleasant, I care much more about my doctor, so the nurses personality was really not much of a concern for me.
Their strength is working with you financially and being responsive. Advice would be if you are having trouble to talk to someone and find the right person to help you. The receptionist in Hoboken and also Vic Marie went above and beyond to help me many times.
Sometimes on the weekends (in Livingston) I waited a little, but in Hoboken and Jersey City I felt there was very little wait.
I worked with Lisa in finance and I really don’t remember the total of everything over 4 years.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson...Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Monitoring appointments [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] are early from 630am-8am. Weekday monitoring is swift. Weekends take a bit longer because there is only one clinic used for all of the patients...All of the doctors in the practice are women. I've had encounters with all the doctors on staff and each one has an impeccable bedside manner. The nursing staff is friendly and I've formed great relationships with many of them. Weekend monitoring is crowded and takes some time so be prepared to wait a little.
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson and the IRMS staff.
Ask any and all questions that come to mind. I would encourage you to make a list. I would also add, be patient with the process.
Dr. Thompson gave a personal touch to her treatment plan.
First IVF cycle: Dr. Thompson used 300uI Gonal-F/150uI Menopur (Trigger 5000 HCG). The rationale used for this dosage was due to me only having one ovary. 19 eggs were retrieved of which only one was mature. The mature egg was fertilized using ICSI. Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Second IVF cycle: 225 Gonal-F/75 Menopur (Trigger 10000 HCG). Stimmed additional 2 days to increase the number of mature eggs retrieved. 11 eggs retrieved, 2 mature fertilized with ICSI. NGS testing on Day 5 embryos resulted in one genetically sound embryo for transfer. Frozen transfer cycle resulted in negative pregnancy test.
Kim is thorough and always great with communicating next steps.
IRMS is a wonderful practice to receive care. All of the doctors in the practice are women. I've had encounters with all the doctors on staff and each one has an impeccable bedside manner. The nursing staff is friendly and I've formed great relationships with many of them. Weekend monitoring is crowded and takes some time so be prepared to wait a little.
Monitoring appointments are early from 630am-8am. Weekday monitoring is swift. Weekends take a bit longer because there is only one clinic used for all of the patients.
Most of my care was covered by insurance with the exception of ICSI and genetic testing. Those items were out of pocket. The costs associated with each are listed on their website.
i only had one embryo available each cycle so I do not have experience with her approach on multiple embryo transfer.