IVF Hawaii

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
1329 Lusitana St
Honolulu, HI 96813
808-538-6655
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF Hawaii to a friend?
1 doctor
I have always felt cared for and have felt like my desires/needs are a priority when I am at IVF Hawaii. Dr. Chun and his team go the extra mile in making me and my husband feel part of the IVF Hawaii family...Lorene—the primary nurse coordinator is great at her job. She is very busy but has always answered my many questions and returned my many calls...They all show compassion differently and care for their patient
Describe your experience with IVF Hawaii.
IVF Hawaii over all is organized, has a positive and “homey” atmosphere, staff is thorough in patient expectations and procedural sequence, compassionate, and has a high standard of care. They even provide a stamp to get a discount on your parking ticket.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Ms. Lorene)
Members of the nursing team at IVF are all different and unique individuals. They all show compassion differently and care for their patients. I am overly anxious about procedural processes and always ask too many questions. I sometimes even question my teams decisions and express how I feel about every step in the process. I know I’m not easy to deal with sometimes but I always try to show the team that I appreciate and respect them. Lorene—the primary nurse coordinator is great at her job. She is very busy but has always answered my many questions and returned my many calls.
How was your experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Dr. Chun is very good at what he does. I believe through my research, he is the best in the state of Hawaii. From our very first consultation with Dr. Chun, we knew our chances of getting pregnant and potential obstacles we could face. He is very thorough in his explanations and is honest. He compassionately cares for, and includes his patients in the decision making process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Don’t be afraid to tell him what your expectations are. If you aren’t ready for something, tell him. Be open and honest from the start because he will be.
Describe the protocols Benton Chun used in your cycles at IVF Hawaii and their degree of success.
Consultation due to trying to conceive for three years. Started out with ovulation tests. When we found out I was ovulating normally, we discussed my increase in very painful periods as an adult and the possibility of endometriosis. I wanted to proceed with the suggested laparoscopy and I am glad I did. He removed a small spot but nothing serious and he didn’t think it was the reason we weren’t getting pregnant. After the surgery, he sat next to me and showed me pictures of my ovaries. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and he showed me what that looks like (my aging ovaries). He was thorough, to the point, but compassionate when giving me the news that this could limit our window of opportunity. He gave me hope and a plan of where to go from there. Also, my painful periods are gone. We did one IUI (told us our chances were slim but tried anyway). When that was negative, we went straight to IVF (which was what we wanted). The injectables were explained and demonstrated thoroughly and a schedule was given. The whole thing went smoothly and I had no adverse reactions to anything. I was SO scared on retrieval day but Dr. Chun made me feel so safe and cared for. That whole process went great too. We got 15 eggs but none matured until day 6, when we froze a total of three good quality blasts. We just finished the ERA test and are awaiting results. I wanted to do the test to give us one more piece of the puzzle since we only have three blasts to work with. We hope to do a frozen transfer in November 2018.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii.
IVF Hawaii explains insurance coverage versus out of pocket costs and is upfront about what to expect (we are so great full for this because we go into every procedure knowing the coverage and approximate cost. We have NEVER felt like IVF Hawaii is just wanting our money.
Describe Benton Chun's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Hawaii.
Dr. Chun has a “one embryo at a time” transfer rule for women under a certain age/with certain criteria considered. He holds the safety of his patients to the upmost of importance.
Benton Chun
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Be prepared to wait [at IVF Hawaii]. I’m ususally not seen until 15-20 minutes after my actual appointment. However, don’t hesitate to call when you need to. Also, the way the office runs may seem a little “old school” but I don’t think this impacts the actual care you get...The office is busy every day, but none of the staff ever make you feel like you’re not important. They take your care and concerns seriously.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with IVF Hawaii.
The cool thing about this clinic is that Dr. Chun is involved in the patient/care side of things as well as the lab part. Dr. Chun is not only invested in you, but in the care of your precious embryos. IVF Hawaii is one of the best (if not the best) clinics in Hawaii, and I can see why. Although I’m still in the middle of treatment, I am so glad it is with Dr. Chun. He does not waste time with procedures that will likely do nothing for you. He’s just as determined as you guys are to make it to that finish line with your new baby. Like I said, the only “downside” is that this clinic does things a little old school with paper charts and things like that. Again, I don’t think that is a reflection of the actual work being done or the level of care you receive.
Everyone at Dr. Chun’s office is warm and caring. Although they are very busy, they always treated me like I mattered; not like just another patient to get in and out of the office. Dr. Chun himself is very caring and always took time to answer my questions and concerns. He is very serious about his work and his patients, but also has great bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Lorene)
All of the staff at IVF Hawaii are excellent! Lorene, the main coordinator schedules all the appointments and explains what we need to do/bring to those appointments. She explains each step of the process and answers any questions you may have. She even takes the time to mark the area for the PIO shots so you’re not injuring yourself. The office is busy every day, but none of the staff ever make you feel like you’re not important. They take your care and concerns seriously.
How was your experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Dr. Chun is a no nonsense man. He took the time to explain why IVF with ICSI was our best chance at conceiving. I believe he approaches each patient differently and does not offer an umbrella type treatment (which was the case at a previous clinic). My case has been a difficult one, and Dr. Chun has been honest with us throughout the journey, which I appreciate. Although he is strict with his requirements (diet/exercise) he is also very caring and understanding. He sees you as a person, not just another patient.
Be prepared to wait. I’m ususally not seen until 15-20 minutes after my actual appointment. However, don’t hesitate to call when you need to. Also, the way the office runs may seem a little “old school” but I don’t think this impacts the actual care you get. I’ve been to another clinic that had what seemed like a chic office and newer technology, but received much better care with Dr. Chun and his staff.
Dr. Chun explained that IVF would be best for us due to my factors as well as my husbands. He explained why an IUI would likely not be effective; something the other clinic failed to tell me. We did have to do 1 IUI prior to IVF per my insurance carrier. For that procedure, he put me on injectable meds because he knew from my prior clinic that I do not respond at all to clomid/femara. He also explained to us why we needed ICSI for our cycle and not traditional IVF. After retrieval, we had to freeze our embryos due to my estrogen levels being off (I forget if it was high or low) and also because I was at risk for OHSS. Good thing we didn’t do a fresh transfer because I did end up getting OHSS and it was painful. Due to having a thin lining, I wa put on various supplements as well as blood thinners. Despite all the right meds and even adding Nupogen to my transfer protocol, my lining wouldn’t grow and the transfer scheduled for April was cancelled. We prepped again for a frozen transfer in June, this time with meds adjusted/increased. My lining did get thicker than the first attempt and we were able to move forward. Unfortunately, the beta test two weeks later was negative. Up next, I have a laparoscopic surgery scheduled to check for endometriosis which could have contributed to complications after the transfer. I will also be undergoing an ERA test after the surgery to see if my transfer needs to be a little earlier or later than what their protocol is. He is recommending he ERA test because our transfer failed with an extremely high quality embryo (5AA).
In my experience with Dr. Chun, he’s always recommended us to transfer just one embryo. He explained that multiples (even just twins) automatically puts one in a “high risk” category. He’s always stated that the goal is to have one healthy baby at a time. I believe age plays a factor into his decision on how many to transfer, but I’m not sure what that age is.
Benton Chun