IVF Michigan

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
37000 Woodward Ave
6711 Monroe St.
Sylvania, OH 43560
3145 Clark Rd.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF Michigan to a friend?
2013 - 2018
[IVF MI- Bloomfield Hills'] Strength is knowledgeable physicians, good and efficient support staff, state of the art technology and facility. Weakness is wait times and busy clinic. Costs have significantly gone up over the years as well.... Had to make monitoring appts in the morning, ran efficiently though. Usually had to wait if dr wanted to see me also.... Fresh cycle with transfer was about $12,000. Additional fees for associated procedures, monitoring and labs, anesthesia were probably a few thousand dollars. Medications were additional costs. Frozen embryo transfer costs went up substantially over the years. First one was about $4000 and went up to about $6000 the next transfer
2013 - 2018
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Very caring, knowledgeable, and compassionate
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
All very knowledgeable and caring. Answered all questions and was very efficient with prescriptions and prior authorizations.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Very straightforward, discussed all options with me, described in detail what he was planning for my cycles and what to expect. Was very empathetic, compassionate, and optimistic. I am happy to have had him lead me to my journey of motherhood. Highly recommend dr shamma.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He is very compassionate and honest. Might not tell you what you want to hear but he does so in a very caring way. Also has so much experience in treating infertility.
Describe the protocols Nicholas Shamma used in your cycles at IVF Michigan and their degree of success.
Stimulation with bravele and menopur and ganirelix added to prevent premature ovulation. Trigger was used with lupron due to previous hyperoverian stimulation using HCG and producing over 50+ follicles. Also used lovenox. Only fresh cycle used under dr shamma. Embryos produced resulted in 3 children.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at IVF Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan.
Bloomfield Hills
You do not feel like a number at the clinic [IVF Michigan]. Calling is even an easy, enjoyable experience. The only negative is that you can wait quite a while prior to appointments (I have waited an upwards of 45 minutes past my appointment time). Again, this is my only complaint.... The nurses I interacted with were hands down the best nurses I've ever met. In a situation that has so many ups and downs, they helped me every step of the way. I cannot say enough great things about the Ann Arbor team.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
You do not feel like a number at the clinic. Calling is even an easy, enjoyable experience. The only negative is that you can wait quite a while prior to appointments (I have waited an upwards of 45 minutes past my appointment time). Again, this is my only complaint.
Dr Shamma never needs reminding about our situation or past experience. I know he sees many clients throughout the duration of IVF cycles. While he's extremely efficient and gets to the point quite quickly, he has never rushed us out and if/when we have questions, he answers them thoroughly. When I have asked him difficult or uncomfortable questions, Dr Shamma looks me in the eyes and provides candid responses. It's not always rainbows and roses, but it's the truth and I trust him. Even though we have had a difficult time conceiving, I wouldn't go to another doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: I saw Cathy & Kerri most frequently.)
I could not have done this without them (literally and figuratively). The nurses I interacted with were hands down the best nurses I've ever met. In a situation that has so many ups and downs, they helped me every step of the way. I cannot say enough great things about the Ann Arbor team.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
I have done 5 rounds of IVF with Dr Shamma. Dr Shamma is honest, direct and smart as hell. Following every failed cycle, Dr Shamma has made time to meet with us and talk about our options. He has also made time for me outside of scheduled visits. I have received calls from him and also called him directly. After this last failed cycle, I was definitely hesitant to try a 6th round. After talking to Dr Shamma, who is not only sincere, but also motivating, I am going to give it another go. If it weren't worth trying (i.e., if we were a hopeless cause), I know he would tell us it's time to stop.
He may come across as abrupt or hurried, but he will answer every single one of your questions. He will acquaint himself with every aspect of your situation. He will do everything in his power to help you conceive. He does genuinely care about you as a patient.
Ovarian stimulation protocols with antagonist. Medications utilized during IVF cycle: Birth Control Pills, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Pregnyl, Progesterone in Oil, Estrogen, Lovenox, Aspirin, Methylprednisolone. Also prescribed (at my request) supplements and pre-natal vitamins.
Describe Nicholas Shamma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Michigan.
IVF Michigan will only transfer 2 (max) embryos.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
The nursing staff [at IVF Michigan] was amazing. They were always ready to answer questions and there was only one nurse (who I tried to avoid) that ever made me feel like I was a bother to her. There was one nurse that specifically wanted to call us with the positive pregnancy test and said that she wanted to make the phone call because she was so happy for us. The nurses were well organized and responsive and empathetic to our concerns and quickly responded to any questions. I miss them terribly now that we're with our OB GYN.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Strengths of the clinic would be that that everyone seems to be happy to be there (again except for one who always seemed grumpy). We had our treatments done in the Michigan office and the nurses there were so extremely sweet and comforting. I told my husband one of the times that I felt like my mom was there with us because they were so sweet and wanted to make sure that we were doing okay. The weaknesses are really hard to think about....I guess we did feel rushed out of the appointments sometimes, but there were always people in the waiting room and I know we were not their only patients.
Dr. Shamma always called us by our names and shook our hands at every visit. The nurses and other staff at the clinic are personable (except one that always seemed grumpy) and extremely helpful. Even now, after our transfer is complete and I call to make a payment or need something, they are quick to respond and happy to help.
The nursing staff was amazing. They were always ready to answer questions and there was only one nurse (who I tried to avoid) that ever made me feel like I was a bother to her. There was one nurse that specifically wanted to call us with the positive pregnancy test and said that she wanted to make the phone call because she was so happy for us. The nurses were well organized and responsive and empathetic to our concerns and quickly responded to any questions. I miss them terribly now that we're with our OB GYN.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Shamma may not have the best bed side manner, however when we asked him to slow down or repeat himself when something was unclear, he obliged. He did not get frustrated with our questions (and we had a lot!). His strengths are compassion, empathy and confidence in his work. I would say that Dr. Shamma's weakness is his bed side manner because it could be a bit better. With that said, I'd rather have someone who does their job well and may not be sugary sweet than have the opposite.
Take notes during every appointment. There were times that we walked out and I felt like I heard everything, but retained nothing! Just so much information to take in. Don't be afraid to clarify!! This is your treatment and your dream of having a sweet little one.
We did not have a problem getting pregnant, however, lost three pregnancies in a row, therefore, Dr. Shamma identified the importance of being able to genetically test our embryos. I was on a number of different injections including injections that increased follicles to get more eggs during the retrieval and also injections that held the release of eggs until the day of retrieval. We did not have any donors (eggs or sperm) so after the embryos made it past the five day period, 4 of our 8 made it to genetic testing and 1 of our 4 were genetically "healthy." If we had not followed Dr. Shamma's advice, we may have experienced more miscarriages.
$20,000 plus the $3,200 for medications.
We only had one to transfer, however Dr. Shamma made it clear that they would only transfer one embryo at a time. I trusted this decision from Dr. Shamma and he explained his reasoning to me when I asked. He explained that we've already experienced loss and are considered high risk up until a certain point and would like to increase the chances as much as possible of us having a healthy and successful pregnancy.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I would make sure you have a full work up done with blood and everything in between. We came from another clinic so it was a bit confusing on what we were tested for and not tested for.... Nurses [IVF Michigan] were absolutely wonderful! Kind and caring and we’re very compassionate. They communicated wonderfully and always kept in touch. We loved them!... $26,000 was spent on our ivf process along with the genetic testing.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The nurses were absolutely wonderful! I would make sure you have a full work up done with blood and everything in between. We came from another clinic so it was a bit confusing on what we were tested for and not tested for. All around we have had a tough time with the ivf process and have been trying to conceive for 5 years and have had many ups and downs with the whole process. We have tried everything and have negative outcomes. We will keep a positive attitude and keep chugging.
I feel that there were so many people Going through cycles at the same time it almost felt as if we were being pushed through. I don’t feel as if all issues were tested for prior to our last transfer and it resulted in a miscarriage. Following up with him we did more blood work that resulted in having a mossisim gene?! We felt that this could have prevented our last miss carriage and we could have used a surrogate from the vet go.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl and Lori )
Nurses were absolutely wonderful! Kind and caring and we’re very compassionate. They communicated wonderfully and always kept in touch. We loved them!
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Overall we think we had a great experience with Dr. Shammas office. We do feel that on our fourth round of IVF treatment we could have been tested for a few more Things that would have resulted in us saving our money and using surrogacy vs. me trying to carry again. We have gone trough 4 IUI’s and two full rounds of ivf along with 4 transfers. We want nothing more than to be parents to a child and if we were chosen for this it would truly be a dream come true to me and my husband.
To cover everything from top to bottom throughly. I feel the further you get into IVF treatments, the more you learn about testing. I wish there was someway that every patient could have a one on one visit with some who prior went through ivf treatments.
He used everything protocol. We did every medication that was possible to give. It was our fourth time trying and we didn’t want to miss anything at all. We used genetically tested embryos so we had to use blood thinners as well.
$26,000 was spent on our ivf process along with the genetic testing.
Saginaw
Beautiful office. Finding which door to get into the building was a little troublesome at first. The parking lot is very busy as there are many other offices in the building. I wish they [IVF Michigan] would tell me all the fees for everything upfront rather than sending me a bill.... The only thing I am sure about the cost was the IUI which was $600. All the ultrasounds and office visits my insurance paid for a small amount so I’m not 100% sure how much those cost.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Beautiful office. Finding which door to get into the building was a little troublesome at first. The parking lot is very busy as there are many other offices in the building. I wish they would tell me all the fees for everything upfront rather than sending me a bill.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
He explained that he really believes I will be pregnant, he explained that it may take time and he understands that couples can be impatient during this processes.
Amazing and very knowledgeable. Great bedside manner.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
He got right to the point and was thorough in his explanation. I am in the health field and very research based on my decisions, Dr. Hammond took time out of his day to find and send me a study done on IUI treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
Make sure you get him as your Dr at IVF Michigan. Just know that you will mostly see nurses after the initial consultation
Describe the protocols Ahmad Hammoud used in your cycles at IVF Michigan and their degree of success.
For my IUI cycle I was given an initial ultrasound by Dr. Hammond and prescribed 50mg of clomid for 5 days. I was also prescribed ovadril as a trigger shot to be used I believe a day in a half prior to my IUI. A few days after finishing my last dose of clomid I went in to have a follicle check ultrasound. This ultrasound sound was done by the nurse. There was concern about me having to many follicles, and they were unsure if Dr. Hammond would want to proceed with the IUI. After some time Dr said it was ok to go ahead with the IUI if I was ok and aware of the possibility of having multiples. The Day if the IUI my husband had to go in at 9am to give his sample, then I went in at 11am for my IUI. The nurse did the IUI procedure. I was the prescribed progesterone 10mg to take daily.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan.
The only thing I am sure about the cost was the IUI which was $600. All the ultrasounds and office visits my insurance paid for a small amount so I’m not 100% sure how much those cost. I would just get bills in the mail for them every couple of weeks.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinics [IVF Michigan] in both Saginaw, MI and Detroit, MI were both clean and well organized. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. Pleasant waiting rooms with plenty of reading materials and TV's running.... Those nurses were the best at keeping the "line" moving. All the patients knew the time and if you needed to get out early, you knew to be first in line at the door. I didn't see any problem with monitoring.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The clinics in both Saginaw, MI and Detroit, MI were both clean and well organized. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. Pleasant waiting rooms with plenty of reading materials and TV's running.
We were perceived as a "slam dunk" couple walking through the door. A great candidate for IVF. Once 3 transfers failed, we were immediately moved onto a surrogacy recommendation. I felt like my Dr. had given up on me when I didn't become that slam dunk or helping his success numbers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Borchard)
Both Elizabeth Borchard and Lori McQuinn were absolutely wonderful. They were compassionate, helpful and truly wanted to see the best for me.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Shamma viewed our infertility as a "Slam Dunk" for pregnancy. We are young and the problems that we had were fixable with IVF. Once we had 3 failed PGS, good quality embryos transfers - we were put in the "Surrogacy" category. I felt like my Dr. gave up on me without exploring any other options. We became a problem and not a Slam Dunk as he thought... and I am sure, affecting his success numbers.
If you are a researcher, be prepared to feel belittled by your questions. I would also recommend asking for all your records. As a patient, you are left in the dark - ie-- when getting bloodwork you will get a call saying "bloodwork is fine" and that is it. It is your right to know the details. You should also know that Dr. Shamma is very by the book and not open to new or unfounded treatments ---even if they only hurt your pocketbook.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at IVF Michigan.
For IVF with PGS testing, it was $22,000
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Overall we had no major issues with the clinic [IVF Michigan] itself. While I do feel they are overpriced, they are competitive with other clinics in Michigan... The front desk was always helpful in scheduling appointments, etc when I was working with them. I will say that when we went to get another opinion they weren't quick to send over my medical history and it took a couple phone calls to get that completed.... There were a few instances where I had to call MORE THAN ONCE to get results, information and or answers.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Overall we had no major issues with the clinic itself. While I do feel they are overpriced, they are competitive with other clinics in Michigan and Dr. Shamma is very well known so that comes with a higher price tag. The front desk was always helpful in scheduling appointments, etc when I was working with them. I will say that when we went to get another opinion they weren't quick to send over my medical history and it took a couple phone calls to get that completed.
Dr. Shamma treated me like a valid human for the most part. He told us that we had excellent odds for becoming pregnant and being that I had 3 previous miscarriages before being in his care he recommended PGS testing. Which was an additional $5000. We are young, healthy and as far as anyone can tell us we have unexplained infertility. We went through with PGS testing and transferred one PGS normal embryo. Everything was textbook perfect, we ended up pregnant with perfect high and doubling betas. Our first ultrasound at 6 weeks showed the gestational sac and flicker of a heartbeat. It was all downhill after that; Shamma wouldn't give me a copy of that ultrasound and said "you don't want that" and said we will check again a week later. He said he saw some concerning things during the ultrasound like the sac was not very big and something about the baby being too far to the right corner of it? He didn't elaborate and left the room quickly. We were crushed, there's a heartbeat!! The following week we confirmed the heartbeat was gone and I would miscarry. No answers as to why; no compassion. We did a D&C and the embryo came back as normal tissue. Shamma's answer for that was that I'm the problem. I now need a gestational carrier and there is no hope for me to ever carry a baby. He heard that my husband has a sister (with 4 healthy children) and said perfect! He jumped right into that and didn't want to discuss myself carrying after that. He won't use our remaining embryo with me. My SIL is not an option, she won't do it for us. Shamma didn't care to look at other options, said there was nothing more he could do and to come back when we found a Gestational Carrier. That's when I officially felt like a number. He also told us the sex of the miscarried baby, it was female, which we didn't ask to know. We left very disappointed and have now moved on to getting more opinions.
The nurses got to know us very well; they communicated with me often and were always quick to call me back. There was one mishap where the new nurse on staff didn't explain everything to me and I didn't know to take my estrace after transfer because she made my calendar up and forgot to include it. I called and questioned it and caught the mistake after 2 days. Dr. Shamma advised that wouldn't have an effect on my pregnancy because I was also on the patch, but i'll never know if that had anything to do with our miscarriage.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He's very knowledgeable and confident with his approach. He doesn't see you for most ultrasounds/monitoring but is the one doing your major procedures. He was quick to jump to PGS testing even though there is no guarantee, we are young and we don't have any underlying issues family wise. So we trusted his outlook and still miscarried using a PGS normal embryo. I'm not saying he was wrong to push PGS but he wasn't upfront that it could potentially still end in heartbreak. So that came as a shock to us; we wish he would have explained it better.
Do your research, ask a million and two questions. Don't leave the office without being sure of what's to come. Dr. Shamma is a knowledgeable man but he is also extremely busy and he will rush through your appointment if he can, at least that is the way he handled us. So make sure you have your questions ready to go and get them answered. Your time is precious too.
Dr. Shamma used the maximum protocol with us for transfer. He had me on low dose aspirin, 40mg of lovenox daily, estrace, vivelle patch (every 3 days), and progesterone in oil injections. I also was given Amoxicillin the week of transfer and started steroids a few days before and a few days after (5 days total).
We paid for a multiple cycle treatment - meaning 3 egg retrievals and unlimited transfers (depending on number of eggs) for $21,500. This program did not allow for PGS to be added; so when Dr. Shamma advised we needed PGS testing after 3 miscarriages we had to break contract. We had the remainder of our prepaid money go towards another retrieval and transfer but needed to pay an additional $5000 at that time for PGS. We are now out of funds completely as that last transfer failed; so we ended up having 2 eggs retrievals, 3 transfers (1 of those being PGS).
We asked for single embryo transfer due to PGS testing.
Ypsilanti
Everytime I go in for my labs [at IVF Michigan], I'm hard to get blood on. They take their time making sure that I'm doing ok...Everytime we are in the clinic the staff knows our names even without a chart. Always greets us with a handshake.. All labs/ultrasounds go through Dr Shamma and then they call me later that day with the next step...The front desk staff is wonderful. Once your established as a patient, they immediately transfer you to a nurse if one is available to answer your questions. If one is not you can leave a message. They never try and answer the questions themselves.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Everytime I go in for my labs, I'm hard to get blood on. They take their time making sure that I'm doing ok. Normally I have 2 nurses at a time drawing my blood. When doing my ultrasounds if they have questions, they go get another nurse for another opinion. All labs/ultrasounds go through Dr Shamma and then they call me later that day with the next step
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
When I first met Dr Shamma, I walked out of his clinic with a full diagnosis and a plan. When he learned that I have never had an ultrasound performed, one was done that same day. He gave us different options to try and gave us our chances of conceiving each month. He is very compassionate and took his time explaining the treatment course with us and other treatments that we may decide to u dergo.
If you are referred to go see him, go sooner than later. We waited a good 6 months to go see him after being referred, due to being scares. He was very warm and compassionate from the very first visit, and you weren't treated as a number but as a person wanting to have a baby.
Femara 5 MG with ovidrel for 3 rounds, he gave us a 10% chance each month of conceiving, which every cycle failed due to my severe PCOD. We are going in for a consult soon to discuss other options such as IVF which he gives us a 75% chance of resulting in a pregnancy.
Timed intercourse cost about 600 a round, that's just for the lab/ultrasounds. There is additional costs for the ovidrel which was 85 and 30 something for the femara
Our bodies are not meant to carry 5+ babies, he will only implant so many to help ensure that you as his patient is going to be safe. His main concern is his patients
Sylvania
The nursing staff [at IVF Michigan] is always available by phone. They are very professional and make you feel comfortable during a difficult time...The nursing staff is always available by phone. They are very professional and make you feel comfortable during a difficult time...Dr. Ayers prices seem very reasonable compared to other clinics I researched.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The clinic is organized and easy to schedule an appointment with. Working a full time job, they were always able to fit me into their schedule.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Ayers took the time to listen to our story and validated our feelings. He was open and honest with our results. As frustrating as it was to be diagnosed with unexplained infertility, he was very thorough in explaining our test results and options.
How was your experience with Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan?
We had quite a few tests completed before consulting with a fertility specialist, Dr. Ayers. At our original consultative appointment, Dr. Ayers took the time to review our history/file and then discussed any gaps or wholes he wanted to explore. He validated our feelings/frustrations, but did not make any promises. He gave us options, which for someone who has difficulty with decision making, was somewhat stressful. For my current treatment program (injections), I saw Dr. Ayers a couple times a week. He would also explain the purpose of the visit and what he hoped to see on my ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan?
Ask questions and write down information he provides. He will give you a handout/notes, but it is helpful to have a notetaker as well.
Describe the protocols Jonathan Ayers used in your cycles at IVF Michigan and their degree of success.
My current treatment is controlled ovulation stimulation. I am currently on Gonal F injections and then a trigger shot to stimulate ovulation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan.
Fortunately, my insurance covers 80% of my costs. However, Dr. Ayers prices seem very reasonable compared to other clinics I researched.
Describe Jonathan Ayers's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Michigan.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
The staff at the clinic [IVF Michigan] was great!...Betsy and Lori were amazing! At times they gave a bit too much information so that you felt a bit confused when you got home. However, they are more than available if you have a question and need to call them. It would have been helpful to have a binder or big folder so that we could have the information with us....I had an egg donor. So my protocol was for transfer only....Very close to 20,000$
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The staff at the clinic was great!
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Betsy )
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
I feel that Dr. Shamma is capable and very knowledgeable. His bedside manner is direct and confident. He will not offer false hope and that's positive. He is a very busy doctor and unfortunately there are moments that can cause you to feel like he's rushing or just done with your appointment before you feel like you are.
Be prepared for anything.
I had an egg donor. So my protocol was for transfer only. I started on birth control pills the month prior to transfer to sync my cycle with my donor. At that time I had a saline ultrasound, which showed a polyp. I was scheduled for a surgery the following week to have that removed. I began estradiol and a low dose aspirin. I also took a multivitamin with higher folic acid in it. The day of my donors retrieval I began progesterone and oil injections. I also began taking steroid pills. I took those 3 times a day, 5 pills each time. Dr. Shamma uses this as a burst for your immune system. This was one of the most difficult parts. The steroids had many side affects for me. At transfer, we had 2 eggs put back, I continued with the progesterone and oil injections, also added in the blood thinner injection in my stomach. Can not think of the name. Also, 5 days of an antibiotic. This was to prevent any infection from the transfer. My blood was checked regularly. And my levels were always good. Unfortunately, my procedure did not result in a positive pregnancy test.
Very close to 20,000$
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
The ladies at the front desk [at IVF MI] are helpful and compassionate...Only issues have been when trying to get a receipt for our Cycle payment I was told they couldn't give me a receipt until after our first round...Also when booking an appointment in advance for the next month you have to wait until the calendar is open and there's no set date for them to open it...There are many nurses so I don't always see the same one. They are all super friendly, compassionate and know my information.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The ladies at the front desk are helpful and compassionate. It's always the same two ladies working there. Only issues have been when trying to get a receipt for our Cycle payment I was told they couldn't give me a receipt until after our first round. (We paid for 3 IVF cycles). I had to keep asking for a receipt and wait for someone to process our first cycle through insurance (which doesn't cover anything) before getting a receipt. Also when booking an appointment in advance for the next month you have to wait until the calendar is open and there's no set date for them to open it. I had to keep calling back.
Dr. Ayers does all of your ultrasounds and explains what he is seeing on the screen in depth. He meets with you after to discuss and answer questions. You see him every step of the way.
There are many nurses so I don't always see the same one. They are all super friendly, compassionate and know my information. They know why I am there and what the next step is, which is unlike other clinics I've been with.
How was your experience with Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Ayers has wonderful bedside manner and explains each step in depth. He will answer your questions and meet with you at every appointment besides the bloodwork. You know exactly what the next steps are before they are taken. He does speak very quickly so I recommend bringing paper and taking notes so you can go back over them. Don't be afraid to have him explain a few times if you don't understand. Also bring your spouse or someone with you so you have another set of ears. It's helped my spouse to feel part of the process and be able to ask his own questions too.
Take notes and ask him if you don't understand something.
Our first IVF cycle consisted of birth control pills for the month prior, then initial bloodwork/US for a baseline. Then I did stims for 10-12 days with 2 ultrasounds during this to watch my follicle size. Once they were the size recommended (18-22mm) I gave myself a trigger shot 36 hours prior to retrieval. For retrieval I was placed under anesthesia and they removed 14 follicles, 9 were fertilized, 7 matured, 5 made it to day 5. We transferred 2 on day 5 and froze 3. I was put on bed rest for 2 days. I had started progesterone shots the day of retrieval and estrace pills for my lining. We got a Positive frer and blood test 9 days after transfer. Bloodwork was under 40 HCG and the next test it was down to 7. We ended that cycle with a chemical pregnancy.
We paid $23,500 for 3 cycles of IVF. That's 3 fresh cycles and unlimited frozen cycles (depending on what my body produces). You have to use the frozen embryos up before you move to the next fresh cycle. Ultrasounds and bloodwork is covered by my insurance. The medications have also been covered by my insurance.
Dr Ayers doesn't have a preference on single vs multiple embryo transfer based on our specific situation. He advised we could transfer two so that's what we did.
Ypsilanti
I don’t think there is a particular weakness of this clinic [IVF Michigan]. I just think a new patient needs to understand that this process is normally not quick & it does require that you need to be an advocate for yourself. This is a process where you need to do your research & understand your own medical history.... [Nursing Staff] Kind- but numb to this sort of thing. Helpful & responsive.... I feel as if I was being treated out of a textbook & not patient based.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
I don’t think there is a particular weakness of this clinic. I just think a new patient needs to understand that this process is normally not quick & it does require that you need to be an advocate for yourself. This is a process where you need to do your research & understand your own medical history.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hanh Cottrell at IVF Michigan?
I felt in the middle. I feel as if I was being treated out of a textbook & not patient based. I had to fight for what I believed in.
Kind- but numb to this sort of thing. Helpful & responsive.
How was your experience with Hanh Cottrell at IVF Michigan?
I saw Dr. Cottrell of IVF Michigan. I really liked her, but I feel as if I am having to fight very hard for what tests & procedures that I feel would be beneficial to know. I understand that they see patients like me every day, but I would love to feel as if I am being treated on my specific issues & not just as another person with reoccurring loss.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hanh Cottrell at IVF Michigan?
Again - I see Dr. Cottrell of IVF Michigan. There is not a choice to review her. I would say go in aggressive & let them know exactly where you stand. If you gut is saying you need further testing - than read up on it & go in with facts & feelings!
Describe the protocols Hanh Cottrell used in your cycles at IVF Michigan and their degree of success.
Miscarriage 1- no treatment Miscarriage two- 3 different diagnosis . 1 chemical / ectopic & then ultimately a pregnancy of unknown location. Followed by water sono- revealed polyp HSG - tubes clear Hysterscopy- remove polyp Blood test - homozygous for pai 4g/5g ( lovonox ) Metformin for glucose Progesterone Trouble conceiving this time around.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hanh Cottrell at IVF Michigan.
I had a lot of bills & do remember the costs at all.
Hanh Cottrell
PCOS, Other
The clinic [IVF Michigan] was just remodeled so it is super fresh and clean. The equipment is up to date. The staff is excellent. Never had a single moment where they weren’t happy or helpful. They are quick to get you checked in and out. Can pay bills in person or through mail. Quick to have things faxed. Overall great clinic.... Kathy was there for multiple ultrasounds, explaining things, and was truly helpful with the miscarriage.
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The clinic was just remodeled so it is super fresh and clean. The equipment is up to date. The staff is excellent. Never had a single moment where they weren’t happy or helpful. They are quick to get you checked in and out. Can pay bills in person or through mail. Quick to have things faxed. Overall great clinic.
Dr Shamma is very knowledgeable, and he will answer all of your questions. However, he is very quick and straight to the point.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy was there for multiple ultrasounds, explaining things, and was truly helpful with the miscarriage. She made herself available to me day or night, for anything, to ask questions or to simply even cry.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
As I previously said, Dr Shamma is very knowledgeable. He has an extensive educational back ground and he is well known in the state of Michigan for his clinic. He will answer all of your questions, he seems to genuinely care. When my husband and I experienced our miscarriage, he was truly empathetic to our situation. He opened up about his experience with his wife with infertility. He truly was sorry, and only wanted what was best for us.
Because Dr Shamma is so knowledgeable, he tends to use big terms, so you have to remind him to break it down a little better for you.
When something doesn’t work, he was quick to move to the next option. Which I liked, my husband and I have been trying for four years to have a child, and I didn’t want to play a guessing game or wait around to hope something might work. Moving on to the next option was what I wanted! I saw Dr Ayers for six months before he retired and then switched to Dr Shamma. They both had strict plans, and laid it out perfectly so that it was easy to follow. I did two rounds of Femara, the first round I was not able to make it to the office for the ultrasound, so I did another round, on this ultrasound the eggs weren’t growing like they’d hoped, so we moved on to the next option. We tried femara with I jectable hormones, and I got pregnant with twins. Unfortunately at ten weeks I had a miscarriage, but this is where Dr Shamma and the whole staff were so gracious. The nurse, Kathy, told me day or night to call her even if I just needed to cry. When we were ready to try again, we went back and Dr Shamma had the next plan for us. Because I have Factor V Leiden, he wanted to do IVF to ensure only one egg was implanted because he thought twins or greater would be too stressful for my body and I would possibly miscarry again. So this is where we, getting financing for IVF.
My insurance was actually very good. I only ever paid my copay, which was $40 per visit. The prescriptions were very inexpensive as well. We received paperwork regarding the IVF cycle and costs associated. It was broken down line by line indicating what each dollar was allocated to.
As I said before, I have Factor V Leiden. This is a bleeding disorder that causes clotting. Pregnancy is a hypercoagulating state, and the more babies you carry, the greater your risk is. With the bleeding disorder the risk is even higher. So with the single embryo transfer, we were able to guarantee obviously only one embryo.
Ypsilanti
The staff at IVF Mi were not the friendliest. Many times I would call due to an issue and have to wait 2-3 days before I got a return phone call.... Strengths: clean and modern environment, knowledgeable doctors who have great bedside manners Weakness: office staff is not organized, nurses can be somewhat rude, wait time are long even when you have an appointment
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The staff at IVF Mi were not the friendliest. Many times I would call due to an issue and have to wait 2-3 days before I got a return phone call. When I went in for monitoring, I felt like the interactions I had with the nurses were automated. However, besides the nurses and office staff, Dr. Shamma is amazing. He was very personable and had great bed side manners.
I felt like the nursing staff was not the most approachable group of people. This is probably because they are inadated with work. Many times I would call for help and not get a call back until 2-3 days.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
I absolutely love Dr. Shamma. He was very truthful and knowledgeable. I always felt 100% at ease with him. What I appreciate the most and what I will always remember is my day of transfer with Dr. Shamma. I was really nervous on the day of the transfer, and I only had 1 embryo. Dr. Shamma said a prayer for me before the transfer and stayed by my side to help comfort my husband and I. He went above and beyond to ensure that we understood every step he was taking.
Be patient when dealing with the nurses and staff. They are not the friendliest; however, Dr. Shamma is worth it!
IVF with ICSi was our only option. My tubes are blocked and my husbands sperm quality and quantity were on the low end. I was on medication and injections. On retrieval day, Dr. Shamma retrieved 2 eggs. 1 turned into an embryo and was transferred on day 5. Today I have a beautiful spunky little girl.
My husband and I paid for the guaranteed program that covered 3 fresh rounds and 3 frozen rounds. It was $19,950 plus $300 for anesthesia for each retrieval’s. Luckily, we got our baby the 1st time.
Bloomfield Hills
I think this clinic [IVF Michigan] has weaknesses with the reception. Getting through to speak to my doctor or nurse never seemed easy. I have moved States since and had a lot of trouble having notes forwarded etc. everything seems to take weeks...[nurses] Always efficient, at times I felt it was hurried and I had to ask a question for something to be explained. But they were always kind and encouraging
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
I think this clinic has weaknesses with the reception. Getting through to speak to my doctor or nurse never seemed easy. I have moved States since and had a lot of trouble having notes forwarded etc. everything seems to take weeks.
It was hard to get a hold of anyone or get through the office receptionist. The phones were always turned off after 4pm. I felt at times results could have been reported in a more prompt manner.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
He was always kind and patient with us, answering all questions. He always had an optimistic way of talking about our treatment which always gave us the hope we needed when investing this much money.
Advocate for your self at all times, always ask questions and make sure your understanding of everything is clear. His advice stands for all fertility doctors though really. He was always patient with our questions
I was placed on SQ injectables, menopur and gonal f for 5 days. Then I started cetrotide until trigger. During the 3-4 wait while the PGS testing was done I was on SQ Lipton and oral estrace tablets three times a day. Then I did 10 weeks of IM progesterone shots. My one treatment was successful and resulted in a healthy baby boy
We paid total around $23,000+ I don’t recall a specific break down. But roughly broken down: I believe the IVF was around $9,000 Medications $5,000 Transfer $3000 PGS $5,000 Misc. (labs, anesthesia etc) $1,500
Describe Ahmad Hammoud's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Michigan.
We did a single embryo transfer which was successful
Bloomfield Hills
The clinic's [IVF MI] scheduling is difficult. They are open M-F from 8-4, closing for lunch 12-1. These hours make it difficult if you also work M-F and don't want to take time off work for appointments. They also schedule appointments in sequence - if you want/need an appointment on Thursday, you get the first time slot available on that day. If they have an opening at 10, that time will be your appointment, even though their afternoon schedule is still open.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The clinic's scheduling is difficult. They are open M-F from 8-4, closing for lunch 12-1. These hours make it difficult if you also work M-F and don't want to take time off work for appointments. They also schedule appointments in sequence - if you want/need an appointment on Thursday, you get the first time slot available on that day. If they have an opening at 10, that time will be your appointment, even though their afternoon schedule is still open. We could not book an appointment later in the day when they had an earlier opening. Their hours and appointment times were highly inconvenient.
Dr. Ayers never attempted to find the cause of our low sperm count, despite my requests to cure the problem, not just the symptom (that we couldn't get pregnant). He saw the sperm count test result and went immediately to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Cathy Bamrick)
Nurse Cathy is my favorite. She has the compassion Dr. Ayers seems to lack. I even asked her if she could be at the egg retrieval surgery, which was done at another location. She has a positive energy, without being unrealistic and feeding you false hope. She has such a calming presence and does a quick and clean blood draw. She was always patient with questions, injection training and even the after-hours calls.
How was your experience with Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Ayers is well experienced and always seemed knowledgeable. No matter what happened throughout our cycle, he was always confident. I think he attempts to be compassionate; he said all the right words when our cycle failed, but it always felt very insincere to us and lacked a true feeling of empathy. His lack of interest in correcting the cause of our infertility made us feel like it was all about the money. We continued to see Dr. Ayers in spite of all this because of his extensive experience and success rates. I can recommend him not because I enjoyed being his patient, but because he helped us achieve the dream against all odds.
If you need someone to make you feel better, or to feel like you're their only patient, or to feel like they do this job to actually help you achieve your goals instead of for success rates and money, this is not your doctor. But if you don't care about the process but more about the results, like we did, I never doubted Dr. Ayers knew exactly what he was doing every step of the way. I actually took some comfort in feeling a little like a number with Dr. Ayers; he clearly sees hundreds of patients so he has experience and I wouldn't want my cycle to be someone's first practice round.
We did IVF with ICSI. ICSI was necessary due to the extremely low sperm count. Beyond that, no other strategies were discussed. Our fresh cycle produced 17 follicles, 14 mature eggs, 11 fertilized, 6 survived to day 5. We transferred 2 (although Dr. Ayers never offered to transfer any other number and we did not ask) with no pregnancy. We did a frozen transfer 5 months later. They had to thaw all 4 remaining embryos to transfer 2, one implanted and became our healthy daughter.
Fresh cycle (not including meds) was $11650, including ICSI. The frozen cycle was about $3500.
Dr. Ayers never offered or discussed eSET. He recommended transferring 2 and having done research on our own, I agreed.
Ypsilanti
The equipment was top of the line. Staff [IVF Michigan] was very accommodating and compassionate.... I was supposed to get a call the day after egg retrieval to let us know what the outcome was. Somehow they forgot to call us. However, when I called to check on it, a staff member went back in after hours to look and tell me the results, which was great.... I believe the entire procedure (stimulation, retrieval, transfer) was about $12,000. Medication was additional
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The equipment was top of the line. Staff was very accommodating and compassionate. The only thing I wish was different is the location as there was no easy way to get there for me, but that is an individual need and not something that all patients would have to deal with.
He gave me the information I needed to know, but was still considerate of my feelings and emotions.
They were always very friendly and willing to explain what they were seeing on ultrasound and what the game plan was. They were so sympathetic and gentle with me, which is so important as all of us going through infertility treatments are in such a fragile emotional state.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
He was very honest with me about my chances and what the best course of action would be. He explained everything very well and I was very involved with being able to see what was happening and fully understand it. We ended up having even better results than he had anticipated! The only downfall I would say is at times, his accent made it difficult to understand him.
He is very honest with you and explains things out thoroughly so that you understand 100% what is going on every step of the way.
We used menopur to stimulate, and the goal was to do several cycles to retrieve a good number of eggs before fertilizing (quality over quantity) as I have diminished ovarian reserve. However, we were able to retrieve 5 eggs in that first cycle, so we decided to go ahead and fertilize and start the process right away.
I believe the entire procedure (stimulation, retrieval, transfer) was about $12,000. Medication was additional but we were lucky to have our insurance cover most of that cost, so that came to around $600. Then follow up labwork and ultrasounds were additional, and I believe those added up to around $2000
I only had 2 embryos that were viable at the time of transfer, and he allowed me to decide if I wanted to transfer one or both. It had been explained to me earlier that transferring both gave me a better chance of conceiving, so I went with that option.
2012 - 2013
At the time, Dr. Hammoud was at a clinic in Utah. The nursing staff was tremendous, supportive, and all around wonderful.... At the same time, I firmly believe that if things hadn't worked, I would know in my heart that he did everything he could reasonaby do. Furthermore, I know he attends RE conferences, and keeps abreast of latest research and studies in his field.
2012 - 2013
European, Other
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Again, at the time I was his patient, Dr. Hammoud was in a clinic in Utah. The clinic and staff at the time was great: friendly, organized, prompt, great at returning phone calls, emails, etc.
I'd been rejected by another local RE Clinic because I am a single woman. I was afraid that Dr. Hammoud might judge me, too. But that was very far from the case. He was kind, soft-spoken, and supportive. Dr. Hammoud was personally involved in every step of my care from doing the ultrasounds himself, to contacting me on the weekend to let me know how my blasts we're doing. I always felt that he was giving me his best effort, and never felt that he was rushing to see another patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie )
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
Ahmad Hammoud, MD is a kind, supportive, personally-involved RE. I can never thank him enough for helping me have a child. At the same time, I firmly believe that if things hadn't worked, I would know in my heart that he did everything he could reasonaby do. Furthermore, I know he attends RE conferences, and keeps abreast of latest research and studies in his field.
He is kind & trustworthy--and not at all pushy. If he recommends that you take the next step, trust that he isn't trying to get a bigger paycheck -- he's doing what he believes is right for you.
I don't remember specifics except that he recommended supplements: Pregnitude, L-Arginine, DHEA, Coenzyme Q 10, Melatonin. My Egg Retrieval protocol used multiple meds, but I can't remember what, except Gonal F, and Saizen. I know there were more.
I really was hoping for twins, due to my age (41/42) and the financial burden of multiple IVF cycles. He was open about his recommendation for a Single ET (he was concerned about the risks to both babies & mom of twin pregnancy and for the stress if caring for twins as a single mom); nontheless, he was agreeable to my desire for double embryo transfer.
Bloomfield Hills
The office [IVF Michigan] was clean and nicely decorated. I never had to wait very long for any appointments. My only complaint is there is a door between the waiting room and treatment area that does not do the best job blocking out noise. While waiting, I could hear everything other patients and the drs and nurses were saying.... Our IUI was $600 plus medication. They billed the ultrasounds and bloodwork through our insurance.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The office was clean and nicely decorated. I never had to wait very long for any appointments. My only complaint is there is a door between the waiting room and treatment area that does not do the best job blocking out noise. While waiting, I could hear everything other patients and the drs and nurses were saying.
Our initial consultation felt like a sales pitch for IVF.
I was very impressed with the nursing staff. They were very friendly and informative. Anytime I called or emailed, I would get a response within hours.
What specific things went wrong at IVF Michigan?
How was your experience with Hanh Cottrell at IVF Michigan?
Although young, she seemed very knowledgeable. She was very personable and easy to talk to, but we felt very pressured into IVF. We have unexplained infertility and were interested in more testing and looking for answers, but her responses always came back to IVF only. We understand the odds are better with IVF, but didn’t have the money to do it. I asked about doing IUI which she agreed to, but I felt she was somewhat disappointed we didn’t jump right to IVF like she suggested.
Be your own advocate for the treatment you want if it is not straight to IVF.
We completed and IUI with ultrasound and bloodwork day 2, 5mg Femara days 3-7, menopur 75 on day 8, ultrasound day 12, trigger shot and IUI 36 hours later.
Hanh Cottrell
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
We dealt with a lot of nurses in the office [IVF Michigan]. Some were very kind and compassionate while others were down right rude and condescending. They’d give you a packet of information and then briefly explain it, if you had questions it was like they’re were annoyed. Very discouraging. Insult to injury. They didn’t care that we were grieving the loss of our future children.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Be prepared for the bluntness of this clinic. They can be great and helpful but they don’t really care about your feelings. Not much emotional support. You will get the answers you are looking for, even if they aren’t what you’re hoping for.
It was very nice that the dr treated us well. He explained what we would need to do and he was very honest with what our outcome was looking like. However, his staff, nurses, are very rude if you call with a question. They treat you like you’re stupid and talk down to you. Very discouraging.
We dealt with a lot of nurses in the office. Some were very kind and compassionate while others were down right rude and condescending. They’d give you a packet of information and then briefly explain it, if you had questions it was like they’re were annoyed. Very discouraging. Insult to injury. They didn’t care that we were grieving the loss of our future children.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He is very honest and realistic. When we were told that my husband had no sperm, it was a shock to us and we cried in his office. He told us not to give up and even told my husband “I’m going to tell you like I’d tell my son, we will fix this someway” it was a very genuine moment with him.
He’s very forward, don’t get upset by the way he delivers results. He’s trying to get answers and doesn’t allow emotion to get in his way.
Our insurance covered everything for diagnosis. IVF cycle quote we got was over $14,000
Sylvania
Efficient, knowledgeable and very easy to work with. They [IVF Michigan - Dearborn] really care about your outcome and work excellent with busy schedules. Great location and easily accessible. All responses are timely.... [Nurses] Very delightful and helpful. Never felt rushed or that I was bothering them. Compassionate and empathetic. Very organized and always right on time... My care was covered by my insurance. However IVF is not. We were quoted 12-15k
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
From my last experience with other clinics this one is a dream. Efficient, knowledgeable and very easy to work with. They really care about your outcome and work excellent with busy schedules. Great location and easily accessible. All responses are timely.
Him and his nurses were very upbeat and positive. I felt very much at home and they genuinely seemed to care about reaching our goal of parenthood. Very thorough.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
Very compassionate and caring. Thoroughly explained our course of action and went into to great detail of our specific issues and statics. Set proper expectations so there was never any let down. I particularly like that upon our first visit he really dig deep about our past and our what our goals were and in what time frame.
Come into the first appointment with set questions and your own plan of action. We did and I felt as thought it helped define our road map.
He starts with a general checklist to find where the problem truly lies. He went into each procedure with a clear explanation of what he was going to be doing and why. Results were always explained clearly.
My care was covered by my insurance. However IVF is not. We were quoted 12-15k
Dearborn
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
...you have some rude staffand some compassionate staff [IVF Michigan]. I think if I had to do it all Over again. I’d choose a different clinic. Even if it meant traveling...[Nursing Staff] Some were rude and some were great!...However IVf with genetic testing using my own eggs was quoted at $20,000 Tunis’s donor eggs was $16,000...Dr Hamoud wanted to go straight to egg donation. He only agreed to clomid after my insistence
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Only clinic in Toledo so they kind of have a monopoly on the service here. As with any clinic you have some rude staffand some compassionate staff. I think if I had to do it all Over again. I’d choose a different clinic. Even if it meant traveling
Dr Hamoud is great! I think he would be the right doctor for someone. Just not a women in her mid 40’s. He only wanted to push egg donation and would not consider anything else because he has never been successful with a woman over 45 and using her own eggs. I think that he should allow the patient to make a choice about their route of treatment Instead of forcing his beliefs.
Some were rude and some were great!
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
He seemed to be knowledgeable in his field. As I stated before he was not compassionate enough about my fertility issues and just wanted to do things his way. He need to listen to his patients in order to fully understand their desires and not just force his opinions or beliefs on to them
Stand firm in what you want. Don’t let him bully you into doing something other than what you originally planned to do. It’s ultimately your choice.
I only had a consult and clomid. I am Not sure what that cost. However IVf with genetic testing using my own eggs was quoted at $20,000 Tunis’s donor eggs was $16,000
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
I liked the scheduling capabilities and location availability. They had an office right by my house that I could go to for my frequent visits (ultrasounds/blood draws) This was very convenient. The nurses and front desk made me feel comfortable and were never rude and never made me feel overwhelmed. I have felt the complete opposite at the previous fertility specialist I was at so I know what to compare to!
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The nurses were very personable and happy to answer all my questions. I never felt rushed. Dr. Shamma was personable and funny and caring. Front desk staff was so accommodating and friendly. They were all very willing to work with my schedule and made me feel like I was their most important patient.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He was very straight forward and honest with my husband and I about the plan to move forward. He said, "we will get you pregnant." I did not hear an empty promise there, I heard that he will walk us through whatever it takes. We had seen another specialist prior to Dr. Shamma that was not this way and it was exhausting. Dr. Shamma was funny, caring, friendly, knowledgeable and took his time with us.
Trust him, he knows what he is doing and also ask questions!
Costs were comparable to others. I checked with three highly recommended fertility specialists in the state to compare. The only difference is that we did NOT feel "nickel and dimed" here. Everything was explained to us up front in detail as far as costs for care.
We were educated and made a decision based on what we thought was best. Dr. Shamma did not push his opinion on to us and let us know possible outcomes.
2012 - 2015
Anovulation, Other
IVF requires frequent labs and ultrasounds so there were lots of interactions with nurses. Lori and Betsy [at IVF Michigan] were fantastic and made the process SO much easier. They would call you same day with lab results and were always available. Betsy even met me at the office at 5:30pm on the night of her sons high school graduation to assess an allergic reaction I was having to the progesterone in oil. I can't say enough about the office staff. I have completed my IVF and TTC journey but hope that others considering the process will be so lucky as to choose Dr Shammas office. You won'
2012 - 2015
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
IVF requires frequent labs and ultrasounds so there were lots of interactions with nurses. Lori and Betsy were fantastic and made the process SO much easier. They would call you same day with lab results and were always available. Betsy even met me at the office at 5:30pm on the night of her sons high school graduation to assess an allergic reaction I was having to the progesterone in oil. I can't say enough about the office staff. I have completed my IVF and TTC journey but hope that others considering the process will be so lucky as to choose Dr Shammas office. You won't be sorry.
He was kind and positive. His demeanor was very caring.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
I went to Dr Shamma when I was 26. I knew I would have trouble getting pregnant but being a healthy and young I didn't think IVF was in my future. After a thorough work up we met with him and he told us that IVF was our only option (due to my specific problem). He was patient and kind, answered all of our questions. Never made us to feel that he had a waiting room full of people on his mind. He was also upfront about what we should expect. Because Dr Shamma has many satellite locations in Michigan and Ohio, he is only in Saginaw every Monday.
Total cost for a fresh cycle in 2012 was ~12-15k with drugs and for a frozen cycle in 2014 was ~10k
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
I really like the clinic [IVF Michigan] and how it is set up. I think everyone there does a fantastic job. Especially when you going to have a procedure done. The clinic is a little hard to get to when it’s your first time going but other than that I love it there...I thought the nursing staff was great and really cared about me and never had a problem when I would call and ask them questions...
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
I really like the clinic and how it is set up. I think everyone there does a fantastic job. Especially when you going to have a procedure done. The clinic is a little hard to get to when it’s your first time going but other than that I love it there.
He really cared about me and what it took to get me pregnant.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Hammoud was amazing and really cared about what I had to say. He never shut me out about what was going on and what he was going to do next. He always had compassion when my first two transfers didn’t take and was over the moon excited when my third transfer did work and I got pregnant. Unfortunately I went into early labor. I love being a patient there.
After you do your transfer do not over do it. Take it easy until you find out if your pregnant and even after that take it easy as well.
Unfortunately I do not remember the protocol that we used.
Unfortunately I do not remember my treatment costs.
Dr. Hammoud recommended we transferred two embryos that way we have a better chance of conceiving. I was okay with transferring two because I wanted twins to begin with.
Anovulation, Unexplained
The head nurse [at IVF Michigan-Ypsilanti] made an effort to communicate regularly with us. After a negative experience with another clinic we really needed some extra care. It wasnt perfect but they made every effort and we were much happier with our experience this time around.... I think going into any IVF experience you need to be prepared and ready to advocate for yourself. Dont be afraid to speak up. They tend to only gice.the information they deem necessary so if you want more info you have to ask.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The head nurse made an effort to communicate regularly with us. After a negative experience with another clinic we really needed some extra care. It wasnt perfect but they made every effort and we were much happier with our experience this time around.
We had mixed experiences with the nursing staff
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr Shamma had a more aggressive, let's try everything approach. This was very much what we needed at the time after some big setbacks with previous experiences. If it had been our first experience U may have felt that he was overly aggressive, but it was what we needed at the time.
Maybe not the fuzziest person, but a good and kind doctor.
We did everything this round.. including pgs, uterine procedures, and higher doses of hormones
Psg, all procedures and medications.. everything together at the end of the day we paid about $30,000
We did PSG and only had one viable embryo
Ypsilanti
The clinic [IVF Michigan] is not super busy and it's easy to get an appointment. The staff is lovely. The only issue sometimes is finding a parking spot... I'm using gonal-F 150u daily and menopur 150u daily, then toward the end adding cetrotide 0.25 daily, with novarel trigger 10,000 units....With our cycle, including ICSI and PGS it was about $19k. Medications were an additional $3.5k
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The clinic is not super busy and it's easy to get an appointment. The staff is lovely. The only issue sometimes is finding a parking spot
The nursing staff is excellent! They answer all questions very promptly and are always available
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Hammoud was very straightforward and laid out our options. We have severe male factor infertility and a genetic issue and he was very realistic about our chances using other assisted reproductive techniques, so he said the best chance he could give us was IVF and he was quite optimistic for us. Having a plan right away and being able to take action quickly was exactly what we were looking for!
Meet him and get started right away! We had lab work and an ultrasound right away and he was totally on board wth our wishes.
We are still in the very early stages, but I'm using gonal-F 150u daily and menopur 150u daily, then toward the end adding cetrotide 0.25 daily, with novarel trigger 10,000 units
Based on my age, hormone levels and our PGS Dr Hammoud will be using single embryo transfer
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
There was a long wait time some days but when you are with the care team, you are treated as an individual and not just a number. When you have good results, everyone is happy. When things don’t go well, the staff [IVF Michigan] empathizes with you.... Nursing staff performed well with a lot of patients. I had to catch ovulation a few times on OPKs but they got me in for labs, etc when needed.... I believe our fresh cycle with donor eggs was $14,000. IUIs were only $500.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
There was a long wait time some days but when you are with the care team, you are treated as an individual and not just a number. When you have good results, everyone is happy. When things don’t go well, the staff empathizes with you.
Dr. Hammoud was very kind and willing to try whatever treatments we wished for while giving us realistic expectations about the outcome.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Hammoud was a fantastic doctor and he treated me well. He was willing to try any and all procedures that I wished to try. He gave realistic expectations for the outcome of each procedure. I was pregnant within seven months of seeing him.
See him!
I had three IUIs medicated with Menopur. The were unsuccessful. Due to undetectable AMH we moved straight to donor eggs from there. Since I had only been producing one follicle with each IUI. The IVF cycle with donor eggs worked. Two fresh embryos were transferred and I had twins.
I believe our fresh cycle with donor eggs was $14,000. IUIs were only $500.
2 IUI, IVF
His primary nurse [at IVF MI-Dearborn], Susan was absolutely awful.... She just had an awful bedside manner, was rude, called me a liar, she just was the worst. I would get upset when I knew I'd be seeing her instead of the Dr or the other nurse!... They are very expensive, they don't tell you how you can shop around for cheaper meds, they did give us a small discount since we are "low" income and self-paid. I would say half the staff was friendly and curtious.
2 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Dr. Hammoud was wonderful, warm, concerned, he was excited when we got a positive and cried when we miscarried. However, his staff, not so much. His primary nurse, Susan was absolutely awful.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
He was warm, caring, helpful, honest. He celebrated with us when we got our positive beta. He cried with us when we miscarried. I really can't fault him, he was great. The price was steep and his staff not so great.
Watch the pricing. Prices changed, lots of hidden costs they don't tell you about, paying out of pocket, it seemed like they added on things to amp up the costs.
After everything (ivf cost, meds, monitoring) we paid around $17,000 all out of pocket. We paid cash.
If you want to transfer more than one embryo, know that they make you sign a paper that you'll be open to talk about selective reduction if you concieve multiples.
2005 - 2012
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Physically, nice, modern clean facility [IVF Michigan- Ypsilanti]... Excellent billing personnel. GIVE yourself extra time to arrive high-traffic area location with St Joes nearby as well as many other businesses. No real complaints.... I was 38/39 y.o so we were able to implant the maximum number of embryos...3. We had extensive and complete discussion about selective termination and storage of extra embryos.
2005 - 2012
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Physically, nice, modern clean facility... Excellent billing personnel. GIVE yourself extra time to arrive high-traffic area location with St Joes nearby as well as many other businesses. No real complaints.
Dr Ayers is wonderful. He has a calm with clear-cut expectation bedside manner. I am a physician...but I felt 100% comfortable, putting the complete management of my hormone levels, etc in his hands...no micro-managing or looking over his shoulder. He would have been fine with either style, but I had complete trust in his medical management.
Some were better than others with blood draws. They were very professional about procedures, like transvaginal ultrasounds, IUI, etc
How was your experience with Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan?
As I have already stated...complete trust in his medical management! Calm demeanor, respectful and empathetic. As a doctor, I tend to look over my prescriber's shoulder a lot... not with Dr. Ayers. I never felt that it was necessary.
Build a rapport with him.
He utilized our time & resources well. We did a timed intercourse cycle twice then an IUI which I believe allowed him to see my body's response to hormones for maximum egg production since I had PCOS.
10K for IVF cycle @ 2005
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
IVF Michigan has several locations which is nice, it has a great reputation and tries to offer competitive pricing for folks like me who has no insurance coverage. The staff is friendly, the office is open from 8-4 daily which is nice. They are courtesy billing our insurance just in case there is any chance of somthing being covered... I have only been to 2 appointments so far but I have worked with 2 nurses. Each is friendly and gives me fast answers to my worry wart questions.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
He is very to the point, not a sweet overly loving guy. He wants answers and to make babies.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He is very well known for good results. He could have easily taken our money and done IVF without ever going into the reasons why it took so long to get pregnant and why we miscarried twins. He is very to the point, black and white. I was not sire what to expect at our initial consult but left feeling okay.
Ask questions to make sure you are comfortable with all aspects of your care
2014 - 2018
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Treatment at IVF Michigan is VERY expensive! Discounts are given to certain people throughout treatment. Not sure how those are always given. FET is over $6000 with nothing included other than the transfer.... The nurses and surgical techs are great at Bloomfield Hills. Tori is AMAZING!!!! The clinic is organized. Planning can be difficult for procedures because scheduling is done the day before.
2014 - 2018
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The nurses and surgical techs are great at Bloomfield Hills. Tori is AMAZING!!!! The clinic is organized. Planning can be difficult for procedures because scheduling is done the day before. I have nothing more to say about the clinic.
Medications were ordered based on my needs. However, labwork is always on a "no news is good news" basis. Leaving room for error.
Megan and Brittany are amazing.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Shamma is amazing at what he does. He takes his job very seriously. He wants his patients to be successful while also maintaining patient safety. However, the cost is a significant concern with continued care with Dr. Shamma.
Be prepared for high cost treatment.
I had a cancelled FET. Dr. Shamma increased medications for my next FET.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
I did not notice any weaknesses, overall I felt like they [IVF Michigan] answered my questions and were very thorough when helping me and my family. I am very excited to continue on to the next steps of the IVF cycle with this clinic.ment....People took time out of their day to spend with me and made the entire experience very intimate and personable.... My doctor understood my fertility issues and explained them to me as simply as possible.
Native American, Other
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
appointPersonable, quick to get an appointment. I did not notice any weaknesses, overall I felt like they answered my questions and were very thorough when helping me and my family. I am very excited to continue on to the next steps of the IVF cycle with this clinic.ment.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
My doctor understood my fertility issues and explained them to me as simply as possible. Everything was done in a timely manner and everyone was polite. Testing was done very accurately and precisely. I did not leave with any questions and felt like part of the family when I left.
I had ultrasounds performed, blood work done and my partner's semen checked. I did not receive any injections yet, that was my next step but I did not have the funds to start the process.
$8800: $3000 for injections and $5800 for IVF procedure
Endometriosis, PCOS
This clinic [IVF Michigan] was good. They did a great job at communication and most of the people I worked with really seemed sensitive and caring, which is important because IVF is so stressful and tiring, and expensive... They whole nursing staff was amazing, but the boss nurse Cathy was really uniquely great... Don't let the brevity of appointment with the doctor discourage you
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
This clinic was good. They did a great job at communication and most of the people I worked with really seemed sensitive and caring, which is important because IVF is so stressful and tiring, and expensive
The office visits as well as ultrasound appointments always felt rushed, but when ever I spoke to him about concerns he gave me ample time and appeared to really care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He was a very proficient doctor, and I would recommend him to a friend. I am very happy with the result, but as I said I did often feel rushed. He was very clear about treatment and expectations. I wanted to transfer twins and am glad he talked me out of it because I had a difficult pregnancy, due to my size (very petite)
Don't let the brevity of appointment with the doctor discourage you
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Overall a very good clinic, [IVF Michigan] great staff, very helpful and knowledgeable. There are many options for fertility meds, be sure to do your research on meds as well as financial assistance available for fertility programs.... The entire nurse staff was outstanding!... MTHFR treatment Folic Acid Factor 8 treatment Lovenex... Dr Shamma and his staff were very personable, kind and helpful.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Overall a very good clinic, great staff, very helpful and knowledgeable. There are many options for fertility meds, be sure to do your research on meds as well as financial assistance available for fertility programs.
Dr Shamma and his staff were very personable, kind and helpful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
The entire nurse staff was outstanding!
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr Shamma was kind and extremely well-versed in the field. With a diagnosis of unexplained pregnancy loss he did seem quick to conclude that i would be unable to carry my own pregnancy without further tests and trials. Once i miscarried there was no follow up from Dr Shamma or his staff, which was disappointing.
He is known to be one of the best, he and is staff are great but if your case is not clear cut it wouldn’t be my top recommendation.
MTHFR treatment Folic Acid Factor 8 treatment Lovenex
About $30,000
Dr Shamma did recommend a single transfer however as newlyweds & hoping to be first time parents in our mid to late 30s we were eager and opted for 2 embryos. We lost 1 at 9weeks and the other at 10.5weeks.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Not for your average joe. The clinic [IVF Michigan] is tailored towards individuals with a lot of money. They don't want you using your neighborhood pharmacy but rather the extremely expensive pharmacy. Instead of the staff calling you on updates, you had to call them constantly.... Dr. Shamma was great, but his staff kept me in the dark about my treatments and all the details of what was really happening.... Dr. Shamma was great and compassionate
East Asian, South Asian
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Not for your average joe. The clinic is tailored towards individuals with a lot of money. They don't want you using your neighborhood pharmacy but rather the extremely expensive pharmacy. Instead of the staff calling you on updates, you had to call them constantly.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Shamma was great and compassionate. He was gentle and easy to talk to. He made me feel at ease about what was happening. He gave me an amazing opportunity. The care he gave was exceptional. Dr. Shamma wants the best for you and your dreams.
Ask stupid questions.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
The receptionist/ billing [at IVF Michigan] is rude. We had our egg retrieval which was 3 mature eggs. No one called or updated us during the 5 day embryo growth days. The day of transfer, we made the trek to office. They had me put on the gown similar assumed my babies were strong. They came in and said, " none of your embryos made it" It was devastating.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
The receptionist/ billing is rude. We had our egg retrieval which was 3 mature eggs. No one called or updated us during the 5 day embryo growth days. The day of transfer, we made the trek to office. They had me put on the gown similar assumed my babies were strong. They came in and said, " none of your embryos made it" It was devastating. We saw the doctor a week later and he nonchalantly said you should use donor eggs. I think your eggs are not good. He then handed us a book of 5 women, none that even looked like me and said it doesn't matter if the child looks like you. We left and never went back
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
I feel like he [Dr. Ahmad Hammoud] gave me expectations that weren't realistic and then when said he would help me with more affordability he came back with numbers higher than I was told before. Was told I wasn't owed anything even though I got a low amount of eggs from the donor and none left to freeze...I felt they cared but was told they didn't owe me anything after paying over 30k giving me two embryos ending in a miscarriage
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Beverly )
They were all very nice to me
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
I feel like he gave me expectations that weren't realistic and then when said he would help me with more affordability he came back with numbers higher than I was told before. Was told I wasn't owed anything even though I got a low amount of eggs from the donor and none left to freeze.
Be aware realistically of expectations.
Over 30k
2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Dr Shamma is extremely knowledgeable and forth coming. He knows what is best for his patients and does his best to accommodate. The only negative is that he is only in the office [IVF Michigan] 1 day a week so your schedule is dependent on him...He aware that the schedule will not go as planned...They took on too many patients. Everyone was very friendly but always felt rushed!...[Nursing staff] Very friendly but sometimes wasn't the best source of knowledge...
2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Very friendly but sometimes wasn't the best source of knowledge
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr Shamma is extremely knowledgeable and forth coming. He knows what is best for his patients and does his best to accommodate. The only negative is that he is only in the office 1 day a week so your schedule is dependent on him.
He aware that the schedule will not go as planned
60k
Sylvania
He [Dr Ayers] was informative and did not lead us on. He was honest....He was very friendly and compassionate. Great bed side manner.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
It is very nice and clean. A welcoming atmosphere.
He was very friendly and compassionate. Great bed side manner.
Dr Ayers nurses are awesome and so helpful!
How was your experience with Jonathan Ayers at IVF Michigan?
He was informative and did not lead us on. He was honest.
Listen and take notes.
I was told what medications to use and how they worked.
I can't remember
2013 - 2014
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I felt like I was going to see old friends.
2013 - 2014
I felt like I was going to see old friends. He really cares about his patients.
They were very personable.
How was your experience with Ahmad Hammoud at IVF Michigan?
He was very understanding, knew his job, was very knowledgeable and caring. He never gave me false hope. He was completely honest with me all the time. He was willing to do what ever I wanted to proceed. He got me pregnant!
Do your own research so you are knowledgeable, and ask lots of questions.