Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Selling medication: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
6300 W. Parker Rd.
Plano, TX 75093
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF Plano to a friend?

1 doctor
Infertility is such a personal, and often times painfully long, process and Dr. Douglas did NOT make us feel that we were important. There was zero personal relationship between him and us and that was very evident as the months went on...Of the five IUI procedures, he only performed two of them...He rarely made the decisions when it came to months that we had low follicle counts and the nurses would often tell us, "well, it's up to you" or "it only takes one." We are NOT the professionals and felt we had to make educated guesses. One month, I had ONE mature follicle and we were still told it was up to us, when in hindsight, that is when I wish Dr. Douglas would have been the doctor and had us not go through with the IUI and spend thousands of dollars only to produce one chance. Dr. Douglas is a very robotic and systematic, which as the months went by and unsuccessful treatments increased, was NOT what we needed. We never felt as if we were trying to start a family, it felt as if we were just trying to complete a task.
My wife and I often felt like we were bothering them [nurses at IVF Plano] when we had questions or needed explanations...Several times we were told that our prescriptions would be called in, only to show up to the pharmacy and find out nothing had been sent...Any appointments on the weekends or holidays, would incur a $30 fee...Weaknesses of this clinic are COMMUNICATION, response-time, and very impersonal. We wanted to email something one time and were told that they do not have an email address! Like, what the heck! If we needed anything during non-working hours, we had no way of getting a hold of anyone (nurse, doctor or clinic). As far as strengths, I really can't think of even one. The nurse who took my blood was always very nice.
European, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
From the start, Dr. Douglas spend minimal time with me and my wife. Of the five IUI procedures, he only performed two of them. TWO! He rarely made the decisions when it came to months that we had low follicle counts and the nurses would often tell us, "well, it's up to you" or "it only takes one." We are NOT the professionals and felt we had to make educated guesses. One month, I had ONE mature follicle and we were still told it was up to us, when in hindsight, that is when I wish Dr. Douglas would have been the doctor and had us not go through with the IUI and spend thousands of dollars only to produce one chance. Dr. Douglas is a very robotic and systematic, which as the months went by and unsuccessful treatments increased, was NOT what we needed. We never felt as if we were trying to start a family, it felt as if we were just trying to complete a task.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Go somewhere else. Infertility is such a personal, and often times painfully long, process and Dr. Douglas did NOT make us feel that we were important. There was zero personal relationship between him and us and that was very evident as the months went on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
There was very little personal communication between doctor and patient. When we wanted to talk to Dr. Douglas, we had to request a meeting and hope to see if he had time. The sonographer and nurse would check stuff with him, but very little effort or time was made to establish a trust relationship between doctor and patient.
Describe the protocols James Douglas used in your cycles at IVF Plano and their degree of success.
The first month we tried clomid, but it thinned my uterine lining, so we had to supplement with estrace. Second and third months we did letrozole. I don't exactly remember the fourth month but in the fifth round, we started injectable (Gonal-F). Rationale moving to injectables was to increase follicle count because previous months had been very low (1-3 follicles, at best). All treatments above were unsuccessful.
We often dealt with Lana and I don't remember the other nurse. They were more friendly than Dr. Douglas, but not what you need from an infertility office. The nurses (and sonographer) are the ones we dealt with most and they essentially left most decisions to us, which we did NOT like. We are the patients, not the medically trained staff. The month that we did the injectables, the nurse showed us INCORRECTLY how to use them, and when we ended up injecting two months worse of hormones in three days, they blamed it on us. My wife and I often felt like we were bothering them when we had questions or needed explanations.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
I believe IUI visits were around $500, out of pocket (insurance did NOT cover IUI). Sonos, after insurance, were around $100. Any appointments on the weekends or holidays, would incur a $30 fee.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Plano.
Several times we were told that our prescriptions would be called in, only to show up to the pharmacy and find out nothing had been sent. As previous stately, the month we started the injections (Gonal-F), we were told to dial the shot to 300, inject and recap. Which was NOT our treatment plan. It was supposed to be dial to 100, inject and recap and when we called about it (my wife had to call because I was too irate about it) they blamed it on us saying that we hadn't dialed it correct.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano.

2011 - 2019
Dr. Douglas encouraged, with my age in consideration, to do pre-transfer genetic testing. Then he would transfer 1 embryo. If I absolutely didn't want to do the testing he would transfer 2 embryos. He strongly suggested the testing with 1 transfer...always meets with you when there's suggestion for a plan change. Dr. Douglas has done all of my procedures. I'm always treated by him and his staff by first name. The staff is available during office hours for questions or updates..not machines, recordings or excessive hold lines.
The staff [at IVF Plano] is available during office hours to talk to in person for concerns, questions or updates. The staff respect patients with their privacy and feelings. They are all very compassionate. The nurses and office staff are very organized and know you by first name...Clean, organized and never feels over crowded. Appointment times are available when you need them. Sono and labs on site. Dr. Douglas' office is in the office. The front receptionists are very knowledgeable of processes and the money part and always polite.
2011 - 2019
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas sets a time to meet with every plan change. He explains pro/cons of each path available. He doesn't pressure you to do what he thinks. He provides a plan and instructions on your chart, that you have both agreed on during the meeting. When you're ready to begin, you call the office and the staff know what to do. It's very organized and personalized. He is compassionate about his work and patients, but not "touchy, feely".
Meet an appointment to consult with him.
Dr. Douglas always meets with you when there's suggestion for a plan change. Dr. Douglas has done all of my procedures. I'm always treated by him and his staff by first name. The staff is available during office hours for questions or updates..not machines, recordings or excessive hold lines.
I don't remember
The staff is available during office hours to talk to in person for concerns, questions or updates. The staff respect patients with their privacy and feelings. They are all very compassionate. The nurses and office staff are very organized and know you by first name.
I don't remember
Describe James Douglas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Plano.
We are planning on IVF. During our consultation to start IVF, we discussed this. Dr. Douglas encouraged, with my age in consideration, to do pre-transfer genetic testing. Then he would transfer 1 embryo. If I absolutely didn't want to do the testing he would transfer 2 embryos. He strongly suggested the testing with 1 transfer.

2016 - 2019
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
[Dr. James Douglas is] very connected to patients and I have never felt like a number...I was waiting for the nurse to tell me what my next steps were when Dr. Douglas walked by the consult room where I was waiting and lifted his hands, and said, "You ovulated!" He has continued to be as steady and dependable and caring as he was when I first saw him in 2016...He is non-judgmental and makes a very difficult situation seem possible.
They [nurses at IVF Plano] are both extremely efficient and hardworking. I have never seen two nurses run a busy clinic and keep everything organized so well. They are dependable, informative, always available if you need them, and they care about you. I will never forget how dedicated Lana was to me for my last cycle. She never gave up and helped me tremendously...I have never (not once) had a problem with billing or questioned the cost of anything. This office's billing practices are top notch and as a patient that is so helpful.
2016 - 2019
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
In general, he has a dry personality, but do not confuse that with how much he cares for you. He genuinely wants to see his patients succeed. In this field, I have seen so many REI practices and physicians who seem to thrive on attention by intense marketing and focus only on the highs - the positive outcomes. Sadly, in this field, there are just as many lows. I can say without hesitation that Dr. Douglas will be there for you when you are at your lowest (miscarriage) and at your highest (positive pregnancy test) - and he will carry you through the challenges and victories along the winding road that is infertility. I was devastated when my first IUI failed, and I did not ovulate. My second IUI, I was overly concerned and panicked that I wouldn't ovulate again, and I sought out a second opinion with another practice. After that consult, it was clear that Dr. Douglas had my best interest. I completed my protocol and was overjoyed when I found out I had ovulated this time. I was waiting for the nurse to tell me what my next steps were when Dr. Douglas walked by the consult room where I was waiting and lifted his hands, and said, "You ovulated!" He has continued to be as steady and dependable and caring as he was when I first saw him in 2016. My fertility journey has been heartbreaking and challenging. I have immense respect for Dr. Douglas and will always be grateful for his kindness and dependability. He doesn't spend his time on social media platforms seeking attention or showing off pictures of positive sonograms. He is too busy caring for his patients through the highs and lows and being dependable and steady - what infertility patients really need from a REI.
To any prospective patient of Dr. Douglas, I would advise to put your trust and faith in him and follow his lead. He cares for his patients, and he is in the business for the right reasons. He is non-judgmental and makes a very difficult situation seem possible.
Dr. Douglas, the front office staff and the clinical staff are very connected to patients and I have never felt like a number.
I have had 4 medicated IUIs with Dr. Douglas.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano. (Assigned nurse: Angela and Lana)
Dr. Douglas has two nurses, Angela and Lana. They are both extremely efficient and hardworking. I have never seen two nurses run a busy clinic and keep everything organized so well. They are dependable, informative, always available if you need them, and they care about you. I will never forget how dedicated Lana was to me for my last cycle. She never gave up and helped me tremendously.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The office runs very efficiently and as a patient I am always so grateful that they get to me on time and I always know I can depend on them. Vicky and Karen who work at the front are always willing to help you with your questions and any issues you may encounter. Honestly, I have never seen a group of employees more efficient. Any weaknesses I have witnessed have not been prevalent enough to alter my treatment or opinions of the office in a negative way.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
My insurance covered some costs, but I mostly paid out-of-pocket. I do not remember the exact amounts, but I have never (not once) had a problem with billing or questioned the cost of anything. This office's billing practices are top notch and as a patient that is so helpful.
Dr. Douglas explained eSET to me in detail and I appreciated his rationale. Due to my age, he provided me my options and respected my wishes on how I wanted to proceed. He made sure I had all the information to make an informed decision.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Douglas was a perfectly nice guy. I am the type to ask a lot of questions and sometimes I felt annoying asking them. I felt like there would have been a lot left open if I did not have a lot of questions. He was always professional, on time, and to the point which I did appreciate. Very dry personality but nice.... I did not like that I hardly ever saw Dr. Douglas. Even though it seemed to always be the same people, no one ever really remembered my name or my history.
The nursing staff at IVF Plano was really great. They showed me how to do the shots and walked me through everything to help me understand what to expect. I think my only complaint would be that I always felt like they didn't remember who I was and my history.... The ladies at the front desk were great as well. I would say it would be nice if they had an option to email the nurse. Sometimes I had questions that I could not get answered without scheduling a whole consultation which was frustrating as I have a full time job.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
ASK QUESTIONS! You might leave disappointed if you don't. See if there is an email that you can send your questions to. Calling always seemed to be a nightmare and I never fully felt like I was getting my questions answered by the correct people.
I really liked Dr. Douglas office. Everyone was nice and it seemed to mostly be the same people that you saw every time you came in. I did not like that I hardly ever saw Dr. Douglas. Even though it seemed to always be the same people, no one ever really remembered my name or my history.
I believe we did four cycles of clomid with Dr Douglas and two cycles of Femara. On Various cycles we would use a trigger shot around ovulation time and then progesterone after ovulation. I only have one fallopian tube so we would confirm that I was growing follicles on the "Correct" side and then go from there each month. Each month I had 2-3 follicles all around the perfect size or larger and each time we confirmed that I ovulated. I never conceived from these cycles. We did one round of IUI and we did not conceive this round either. My husband has no issues with his sperm so it was very frustrating to have "perfect" cycles that didn't result in a baby. I felt like we were being pushed with hormones and medication but we weren't really trying to figure out what my actual issue was. When I was going to this office I had already suffered an ectopic pregnancy and two miscarriages and I felt if I pushed to get any testing done it was a hassle. Dr. Douglas did think my tubes were a problem and mentioned multiple times we should probably go to IVF. He was not wrong as I ended up having a second ectopic pregnancy later on and now have no fallopian tubes.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
All in all, I think this was a great clinic. Dr. Douglas was always available if I wanted to have another consultation and ask questions. The nursing staff was helpful and always there when I called. The ladies at the front desk were great as well. I would say it would be nice if they had an option to email the nurse. Sometimes I had questions that I could not get answered without scheduling a whole consultation which was frustrating as I have a full time job. I ABSOLUTELY loved Tony the Ultrasound Tech. I have had a lot of ultrasounds in my time and always felt very nervous going in because of previous bad experiences with my pregnancies but he was always great. He would tell me exactly what he saw and include me & my husband to make sure we both understood. I could not sing his praises any more. I didn't feel like the clinic was wanting to get to the route of my issues with my previous miscarriages and I had to push for different blood tests. At one point, I did get pregnant on my own and when I called them to see if they would track the pregnancy because I had losses before, they immediately told me they could not see me because they didn't get me pregnant. I went to my OBGYN who didn't have the time to watch me closely and I lost that pregnancy. I did not like this at all.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
The costs seemed to be pretty standard although I do not remember specifics.
Dr. Douglas was going to let us transfer two eggs when we did IVF. This is what I wanted so I appreciated this.
+ Read more- Read less

The last month we did IUI, Dr. Douglas suggested we take this round with a different approach since our problem was that we had multiple follicles growing but only 1 was releasing... He is a very understanding & compassionate doctor that really listens to what you have to say... This was our second RE doctor and I had a really bad experience with the first one so the fact that he spent almost an hour & half with us on our consultation appointment just talking about all our options and concerns really made me feel at ease.
The office [IVF Plano] was small and I pretty much always had the same nurse & ultrasound technician every visit which I loved! They were very encouraging & sympathetic at the same time! They explained everything at every step of the way! They really got to know us...The nursing staff was very compassionate. There were 2 nurses that cared for us and both were very good at their job. They knew how to draw blood and didn’t have to poke me multiple times. When it was time to get ready for the IUI procedure they explained everything we needed to do and also suggested when we needed to do the “baby dance” to help give us a better chance of getting pregnant.
Latino, Native American
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas was very honest & really listened to us. This was our second RE doctor and I had a really bad experience with the first one so the fact that he spent almost an hour & half with us on our consultation appointment just talking about all our options and concerns really made me feel at ease. We had knowledge about my BRCA2 breast cancer mutation which I loved! The fact that he knew meds that would keep my risk level down made me feel safe with him as my doctor. He took the time to listen to our long list of questions. He didn’t want to just “steal” our money. Instead of doing all these tests again or unnecessary testing he saved us the money so we could start the IUI process. He is a very understanding & compassionate doctor that really listens to what you have to say.
I would tell them to do some research and make a long list of questions to ask Dr. Douglas cause he will answer them all. Go in prepared.
The office was small and I pretty much always had the same nurse & ultrasound technician every visit which I loved! They were very encouraging & sympathetic at the same time! They explained everything at every step of the way! They really got to know us and didn’t just take our money and moved on.
The first two months we did IUI we did 5mg of Letrozole (2pills every night on day 3-5 of cycle for a week) went back on day 12 to start ultrasounds and did Lupron trigger shot when my follicles were at optimal size 19-20mm. We used Letrozole to keep my estrogen low because of my BRCA2 breast cancer mutation. We would go back after 36hrs of trigger shot and do the IUI procedure. The day after our IUI we would go back to do an ultrasound to see if we released the follicles. The first 2 months we only released 1 follicle. The would start progesterone suppositories that night for the next 2 weeks until we took our pregnancy test. If the test was negative we would stop progesterone. Both months resulted in negative pregnancy tests. The last month we did IUI, Dr. Douglas suggested we take this round with a different approach since our problem was that we had multiple follicles growing but only 1 was releasing, so the last month our game plan was to take 100mg of Clomid & 5mg of Letrozole (2 pills) starting on day 3 of cycle for 7days. Went back on day 12 of cycle to begin ultrasounds. We also did a different trigger shot. We did Ovidrel this month instead of Lupron. Dr. Douglas explained that this would raise my estrogen a little high but worth it if we released 2 follicles so we agreed to try it. We went back 36hrs after trigger shot for IUI procedure. The next day after the procedure we went back to verify if we released. And our change of plans released 2 follicles that month! We were so excited! We start progesterone suppositories the day after the IUI and took them for 2wks until we took a pregnancy test. Unfortunately that month also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We are currently taking a break before we move on to our next plan.
The nursing staff was very compassionate. There were 2 nurses that cared for us and both were very good at their job. They knew how to draw blood and didn’t have to poke me multiple times. When it was time to get ready for the IUI procedure they explained everything we needed to do and also suggested when we needed to do the “baby dance” to help give us a better chance of getting pregnant. They called with results of blood work & was just there for us the whole way through.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The only downside to IVF Plano is that it was so far for us to drive. We live about an hour away with no traffic so on days that we needed to there early it was prime rush hour and took us about an hour & half or more. We also had to take the toll road every time which cost us about $10 every time we drove out there and if we needed to meet due to schedules that was double the money to pay in toll roads. I wouldn’t change a thing though, I would drive hours away to get the care I got from IVF Plano. The doctor & staff are great.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
We were self pay so we had to pay for everything upfront and out of pocket because our insurance didn’t cover anything. Usually all together for meds, ultrasounds, IUI procedure, and blood work it cost around $1500. Sometimes you need more ultrasounds if your follicles are growing slower so that will affect your price. Ultrasounds cost $175 for initial and $125 for more to check on size of follicles. If you have to come in on the weekend it’s $35 fee. Blood work was usually around $160. The actual IUI procedure was about $500-$700 for sperm was and insemination. The meds cost a pretty penny. The Lupron ran around $100. The progesterone cost $160, and the Letrozole cost $14. The Ovidrel shot cost $70.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Plano.
Just one time the front staff forgot to call in one of my prescriptions so I had to call back several times to get the prescription filled. Apparently their usual pharmacy changed so they got confused.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Doctor Douglas was always available to meet with us and answer our questions when we went to the office.... Doctor Douglas had a difficult time with me during the egg transfer but he did not give up. He tried three separate times until he got it and thankfully it worked. He is the only Doctor that could do it in TX as another Doctor turned me away because he was unable to do the practice transfer.
The clinic [IVF Plano] is located in Plano. There is plenty of parking. They have an exam room and then a separate room with a couch where the nurse speaks to you and explains anything you need help with. It is a typical Doctor’s office but it works. It is clean and organized....The nursing staff was always available and they answered questions and even showed us how to administer the medications. They drew the correct places on my body and everything.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Doctor Douglas had a difficult time with me during the egg transfer but he did not give up. He tried three separate times until he got it and thankfully it worked. He is the only Doctor that could do it in TX as another Doctor turned me away because he was unable to do the practice transfer. Dr. Douglas is our miracle worker! We wish we had been left with more eggs to transfer but another Doctor has looked at my cycle since then and he even said we were very lucky to have one embryo that stuck. We are forever grateful for Dr. Douglas and his team that they did not give up on us!!
Believe it will happen. Trust the process. Trust God. Trust Dr. Douglas. Trust yourself.
Doctor Douglas was always available to meet with us and answer our questions when we went to the office. They monitored me closely while stimming and the nurse staff was also easily reaches by phone.
Antagonist protocol with a lupron trigger. I don’t know the rationale but this protocol resulted in an amazing egg retrieval of over 20 eggs!! 17 fertilized with ICSI. Down to 5 on day 3 and then down to 1 by day 5. We transferred the 1 embryo and got a positive pregnancy test. hCG levels were extremely high but failed to double, then leveled off and my daughter was born! PRAISE GOD!
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The clinic is located in Plano. There is plenty of parking. They have an exam room and then a separate room with a couch where the nurse speaks to you and explains anything you need help with. It is a typical Doctor’s office but it works. It is clean and organized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
I believe all in it was 20,000. $10,000 for IVF, $5,000 for meds and $5,000 for transfer but I do not recall exactly.
We only had one embryo.
+ Read more- Read less

I only saw Dr Douglas for the consultation. All other appointments were with his nurses. Including my 3 IUI cycles.... I was told that my chances using IVF were very low since I have low egg reserve and quality. He suggested doing IUI. We completed 3 cycles. I was given trigger shot injections. During my final attempt, I was also given progesterone suppositories since my progesterone was low. All IUI results were negative.
He has several nurses who do all the patient care and one RT for ultrasounds [at IVF Plano]. The nurses are nice but I felt I should have seen the doctor more. I felt handed off.... There were several issues I had during my treatment. I asked several times to have treatment clarified with the doctor. Finally, I decided to leave the clinic.... All of my ultrasounds were done by a man, and if my husband was not with me, we were alone. I feel that if he is going to be the one doing the ultrasounds on women, there should be another person in the room as well.
Latino, Black or African-American
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
I only saw him when we completed our consultation. We had all other appointments with his staff. Not much more to say about him since we didn't see him much. I can explain more about my care when I discuss his staff.
Insist all procedures be done with with the doctor.
He has several nurses who do all the patient care and one RT for ultrasounds. The nurses are nice but I felt I should have seen the doctor more. I felt handed off.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
My husband did not go with me to every appointment. All of my ultrasounds were done by a man, and if my husband was not with me, we were alone. I feel that if he is going to be the one doing the ultrasounds on women, there should be another person in the room as well. The RT never did anything inappropriate, but to prevent someone from saying so, it's safer to have a female staff member present.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
We paid our insurance rate for specialists and paid out of pocket for the IUIs.
None
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Douglas be a better fit for a patient who wants to sit back, relax, and let the doctor handle 100%...He is very confident and doesn't seem to have any desire to answer questions or talk through things. Not a good fit for someone who wants to see the doctor at most appointments (you rarely see Dr Douglas), or someone who wants to ask questions and inform themselves...However, he is always on time (people at surgery center noted this), was very confident, and his staff always answered the phone. Nurses were very nice and really seemed to care...
Strength: [at IVF Plano] On time, nurses and receptionists always answer the phone or call right back. Weakness: Little time with Dr Douglas, and little information...Both nurses, Beth and Angela, shared responsibilities, both worked really hard, took all calls, always called back, and were very sweet, encouraging and seem to be great people. Dr Douglas is "Oz behind the curtain," so these two ladies do everything. All communication is thru them...
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Not warm and fuzzy, zero bed side manner, and not present for many appointments. Quick, efficient, on time. Very little words. "Wizard of Oz behind the curtain." Very little info, seems bored when you meet with him. Not encouraging of questions. Nurses handle everything. Shrugged when I had a miscarriage, offered zero help or explanation. He would be a good choice if you're a patient who doesn't want a lot of info and would just rather trust the doctor to do it all, and not know any details. I prefer someone very thorough and informational. It's probably a personal preference thing.
Dr Douglas be a better fit for a patient who wants to sit back, relax, and let the doctor handle 100%. Good fit for someone who doesn't want to ask many questions or doesn't want to know anything medical. He is very confident and doesn't seem to have any desire to answer questions or talk through things. Not a good fit for someone who wants to see the doctor at most appointments (you rarely see Dr Douglas), or someone who wants to ask questions and inform themselves (which I did).
I had to really work to be treated like a human--I seemed like a number to Dr Douglas. He is very dry and zero bed side manner. Doesn't encourage questions and isn't thorough. However, he is always on time (people at surgery center noted this), was very confident, and his staff always answered the phone. Nurses were very nice and really seemed to care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano. (Assigned nurse: Beth and Angela)
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
Strength: On time, nurses and receptionists always answer the phone or call right back. Weakness: Little time with Dr Douglas, and little information. Most was pretty blind.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
It was around $18,000 total I believe.

2009 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. James Douglas is a good doctor but I wish he spent more with his patients explaining things. I did not know much about the process and did a lot of research on my own. He does have a good bedside manner and answers all the questions when asked. His staff was also very cooperative. I felt second time around I was not given much information on my FET.... I had my only child through Donor IVF under Dr. James Douglas. Second time around I felt very rushed and uninformed during the FET.
The clinic [IVF Plano] does not take secondary insurance and you have to file on your own later own. The staff does not seem to be so much informed on the insurance policy's. The office is small and is always busy which makes the wait times really long.... The nurse was kind of hard to get hold off. They were not available at the time I called and called me back next day or in two days.
2009 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas is not a great communicator but he does answer all the questions you have. He does not volunteer information on his own. I had my only child through Donor IVF under Dr. James Douglas. Second time around I felt very rushed and uninformed during the FET.
Please do your own research before and be prepared to ask questions.
Dr. James Douglas is a good doctor but I wish he spent more with his patients explaining things. I did not know much about the process and did a lot of research on my own. He does have a good bedside manner and answers all the questions when asked. His staff was also very cooperative. I felt second time around I was not given much information on my FET. I was not aware about the procedure and what it took to thaw the egg. Wish I had a better understanding.
I had to use a donor egg for my IVF process. My donor was my sister and DR. James Douglas did the egg retrieval for her. I had to use donor because of no good eggs left.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano.
The nurse was kind of hard to get hold off. They were not available at the time I called and called me back next day or in two days. The staff were very nice and cooperative tough.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The clinic does not take secondary insurance and you have to file on your own later own. The staff does not seem to be so much informed on the insurance policy's. The office is small and is always busy which makes the wait times really long.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
My total IVF cost was around $17000 during 2009. The FET was around 44000 during 2014
My doctor at that time did not have a strong opinion on single embryo transfer but he did transfer two eggs the first time. I had one egg left that we froze for future use. I was not much informed about the benefits and trade offs on these approaches.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Douglas has 40+ years of experience. Within that time, he has learned what works & what doesn’t. He takes the time needed in order to explain the treatment plan, & to answer any questions. I chose Dr. Douglas because I was not getting results at my former doctor. I’m on my first treatment cycle with him, & am very confident in the outcome.... I’m using 2mg estrogen twice daily, estrogen patch every 2 days, 40mg lovenox, baby aspirin once daily, & 1.5cc progesterone in oil injections every night.
This clinic [IVF Plano] is located at a very well know hospital. The lab used for embryos is also just steps away. I feel like it is very convenient. The clinic is small, but equipped. It is great that if the lab needs something from the doctor, or vice versa, it is within walking distance.... There are only 2 nurses, & 2 office staff. With this, you are sure to interact with the same people at every visit. They learn who you are very quickly.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas has 40+ years of experience. Within that time, he has learned what works & what doesn’t. He takes the time needed in order to explain the treatment plan, & to answer any questions. I chose Dr. Douglas because I was not getting results at my former doctor. I’m on my first treatment cycle with him, & am very confident in the outcome. I highly recommend IVF Plano for anyone looking for answers.
Lay out your wishes & expectations. Dr. Douglas will be up front & honest about treatment options.
Dr. Douglas takes the time needed in order to explain every detail of the treatment plan. With 40 years of experience, he knows what works. Dr. Douglas has a great bedside manor. I highly recommend Plano IVF.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
This clinic is located at a very well know hospital. The lab used for embryos is also just steps away. I feel like it is very convenient. The clinic is small, but equipped. It is great that if the lab needs something from the doctor, or vice versa, it is within walking distance.
Doctor fee for transfer $1480 Lab fee for transfer $1440
Dr. Douglas assesses if you’re a good candidate for twins before deciding if you can transfer multiple embryos.

2013 - 2015
Dr. Douglas was really wonderful. HE explained every detail of the procedures and answered every single question I had. I never felt rushed, like he needed to get on schedule and go to another patient. He stayed with me until I was comfortable with the information I was receiving.... We continued to do IUIs because the sperm quality and egg quality were both good. After 5 failed IUIs we decided together that we would need to be more aggressive with IVF.
The staff at IVF Plano is amazing. They share in your joy and/or sorrow. With each negative pregnancy test, I was held behind a closed door while I cried. The nurses are truly there for you and want everything for you that you want.... The nurses are the best part about the clinic. They are so understanding and compassionate. I would not have made it through the process without their emotional support.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Write your questions down before your appointments. He really liked that I was prepared and that I had researched the procedures.
They are absolutely amazing. The nurses are the best part about the clinic. They are so understanding and compassionate. I would not have made it through the process without their emotional support.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
They are great communicators. They are very easy to get ahold of.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
IUIs cost me approx $500-600 a cycle. IVF cost about $12,000. And that was taking in the fact that the clinic gave me some donated meds.
He is extremely hesitant to transfer more than 2 eggs at a time. He had a patient transfer 3 and all three split. IF you want to transfer more than 2, he has you sign a letter stating that it's your choice and you understand the risks.

2013 - 2015
We had multiple consultations with Dr. Douglas and he always answered all of our questions clearly and concisely. We always knew the course of treatment he was taking us through...Since we had unexplained infertility we began with the least invasive treatment and proceeded to the more invasive treatments as needed...Dr. Douglas is very matter of fact and to the point.
The strengths [at IVF Plano] are their proven results. Weaknesses is lack of communication regarding total cost of treatment. I was never given a treatment plan laid out with the costs we would incur...They were my angels and kept me fighting even when I wanted to give up. They {the nurses] are the reason I stayed for the long haul...Since we had unexplained infertility we began with the least invasive treatment and proceeded to the more invasive treatments as needed.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas is very matter of fact and to the point. But I appreciated that because I was very emotionally charged being upset that I was even needing to seek infertility treatment in the first place. He clearly explained that treatments that I would be receiving and the time period in which they would take place.
Be confident that Dr. Douglas is a proven expert in this field and his results speak for themselves.
We had multiple consultations with Dr. Douglas and he always answered all of our questions clearly and concisely. We always knew the course of treatment he was taking us through and way we were there in the first place. His nurses could not have been better to me, even when I wanted to quit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano. (Assigned nurse: kelly, beth, vicki)
They were my angels and kept me fighting even when I wanted to give up. They are the reason I stayed for the long haul.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The strengths are their proven results. Weaknesses is lack of communication regarding total cost of treatment. I was never given a treatment plan laid out with the costs we would incur.
we paid around 35k
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Douglas was approachable. He was direct when speaking and answered all my questions. My perception is that he is a knowledgeable, experienced doctor...was as expected. He shared valuable information, and took into consideration my concerns when deciding on my treatment protocol. I saw Dr. Douglas for two appointments, and he did all my procedures...Medicated IUIs...Answers to my questions were short, with not a lot of context. Things move quickly and in a matter-of-fact fashion. There may be patients who like this approach.... I did not.
[IVF Plano] is a small clinic. I usually saw the same two people at the front desk area, and two other nurses after my monitoring appointments. There is another person who does the sonograms...Communication was a big issue for me with this clinic. -Communication about appointments is only via phone and during business hours. The answering system and the website state to call about appointments during the day. When I followed this instruction, I got a strong reminder about leaving a message after hours. Confusing. - I am not sure what their procedure is to send prescriptions to the pharmacy. It is possible the problem is on the pharmacy's side and not the clinic.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
My experience with Dr. Douglas was as expected. He shared valuable information, and took into consideration my concerns when deciding on my treatment protocol. I saw Dr. Douglas for two appointments, and he did all my procedures.
Prepare your questions before the appointments.
Medicated IUIs
This is a small clinic. I usually saw the same two people at the front desk area, and two other nurses after my monitoring appointments. There is another person who does the sonograms.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
My perception is that the clinic operates on a doctor-centered approach. They are the experts who tell you what to do, and you go do it. They assign a time for your monitoring appointments, and you arrange your day around that appointment. Communication is over the phone only and during business hours. Answers to my questions were short, with not a lot of context. Things move quickly and in a matter-of-fact fashion. There may be patients who like this approach.... I did not.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
About $2,000.00 per each medicated IUI cycle. This includes appointments, medicines and procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Plano.
Communication was a big issue for me with this clinic. -Communication about appointments is only via phone and during business hours. The answering system and the website state to call about appointments during the day. When I followed this instruction, I got a strong reminder about leaving a message after hours. Confusing. - I am not sure what their procedure is to send prescriptions to the pharmacy. It is possible the problem is on the pharmacy's side and not the clinic. I can't tell. For one cycle, no one sent any of my information. For other two cycles, the prescription was not accurate with either additional medicine that was not part of my protocol, or sending only part of the medicines prescribed. - More than once I walked out with written instructions, and feeling I had all the information I needed. Wrong. Once alone, trying to follow the treatment at home, I realized I didn't have all the pieces. Be sure the nurse reads to you every single piece of written information they give you, and that you understand everything. Do not let them send you off with a summary of what you have to do. They are very familiar with all the lingo, the names of the medicines, the forms they use... The problem is that you are not! Also, ask for a list of the medicine that is needed for your cycle that month. When you call the pharmacy, be sure that your list matched theirs. that way you don't pay for medicine you don't need. If you have a job that has things on your schedule that you simply can't miss, or that requires traveling, you may want to carefully consider this clinic. You have to be able to rearrange your days around whatever appointment time is assigned to you. They may even change your time if there are cancellations. You will be working on your schedule, and not in yours. If you call late, or miss an appointment, you will hear from the staff. More than once, and from more than one person.

3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Douglas was warm and understanding. He had a personable demeanor and was very professional. Dr. Douglas took the time to meet with me and understand my egg retrieval situation and the risks involved.... Dr. Douglas employed the highest possible dosage level due to my diminished egg reserve... Dr. Douglas was very professional and personable
The clinic [IVF Plano] was very good - professional and organized. The pricing was very reasonable and communicated well. As a new patient, you will feel comfortable and prepared for the procedures, as did I. I did not feel any negatives with the clinic.... Dr. Douglas's nursing staff was excellent! I was very pleased with them. They made me feel very comfortable
3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
You will be in good hands with Dr. Douglas!
Dr. Douglas was very professional and personable
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The clinic was very good - professional and organized. The pricing was very reasonable and communicated well. As a new patient, you will feel comfortable and prepared for the procedures, as did I. I did not feel any negatives with the clinic.
Medicine and procedure