Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Selling medication: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
6300 W. Parker Rd.
Plano, TX 75093
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF Plano to a friend?

1 doctor
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The nursing staff at IVF Plano was really great. They showed me how to do the shots and walked me through everything to help me understand what to expect. I think my only complaint would be that I always felt like they didn't remember who I was and my history.... The ladies at the front desk were great as well. I would say it would be nice if they had an option to email the nurse. Sometimes I had questions that I could not get answered without scheduling a whole consultation which was frustrating as I have a full time job.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
All in all, I think this was a great clinic. Dr. Douglas was always available if I wanted to have another consultation and ask questions. The nursing staff was helpful and always there when I called. The ladies at the front desk were great as well. I would say it would be nice if they had an option to email the nurse. Sometimes I had questions that I could not get answered without scheduling a whole consultation which was frustrating as I have a full time job. I ABSOLUTELY loved Tony the Ultrasound Tech. I have had a lot of ultrasounds in my time and always felt very nervous going in because of previous bad experiences with my pregnancies but he was always great. He would tell me exactly what he saw and include me & my husband to make sure we both understood. I could not sing his praises any more. I didn't feel like the clinic was wanting to get to the route of my issues with my previous miscarriages and I had to push for different blood tests. At one point, I did get pregnant on my own and when I called them to see if they would track the pregnancy because I had losses before, they immediately told me they could not see me because they didn't get me pregnant. I went to my OBGYN who didn't have the time to watch me closely and I lost that pregnancy. I did not like this at all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
I really liked Dr. Douglas office. Everyone was nice and it seemed to mostly be the same people that you saw every time you came in. I did not like that I hardly ever saw Dr. Douglas. Even though it seemed to always be the same people, no one ever really remembered my name or my history.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas was a perfectly nice guy. I am the type to ask a lot of questions and sometimes I felt annoying asking them. I felt like there would have been a lot left open if I did not have a lot of questions. He was always professional, on time, and to the point which I did appreciate. Very dry personality but nice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Douglas at IVF Plano?
ASK QUESTIONS! You might leave disappointed if you don't. See if there is an email that you can send your questions to. Calling always seemed to be a nightmare and I never fully felt like I was getting my questions answered by the correct people.
Describe the protocols James Douglas used in your cycles at IVF Plano and their degree of success.
I believe we did four cycles of clomid with Dr Douglas and two cycles of Femara. On Various cycles we would use a trigger shot around ovulation time and then progesterone after ovulation. I only have one fallopian tube so we would confirm that I was growing follicles on the "Correct" side and then go from there each month. Each month I had 2-3 follicles all around the perfect size or larger and each time we confirmed that I ovulated. I never conceived from these cycles. We did one round of IUI and we did not conceive this round either. My husband has no issues with his sperm so it was very frustrating to have "perfect" cycles that didn't result in a baby. I felt like we were being pushed with hormones and medication but we weren't really trying to figure out what my actual issue was. When I was going to this office I had already suffered an ectopic pregnancy and two miscarriages and I felt if I pushed to get any testing done it was a hassle. Dr. Douglas did think my tubes were a problem and mentioned multiple times we should probably go to IVF. He was not wrong as I ended up having a second ectopic pregnancy later on and now have no fallopian tubes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
The costs seemed to be pretty standard although I do not remember specifics.
Describe James Douglas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Plano.
Dr. Douglas was going to let us transfer two eggs when we did IVF. This is what I wanted so I appreciated this.
Plano

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano.

The office [IVF Plano] was small and I pretty much always had the same nurse & ultrasound technician every visit which I loved! They were very encouraging & sympathetic at the same time! They explained everything at every step of the way! They really got to know us...The nursing staff was very compassionate. There were 2 nurses that cared for us and both were very good at their job. They knew how to draw blood and didn’t have to poke me multiple times. When it was time to get ready for the IUI procedure they explained everything we needed to do and also suggested when we needed to do the “baby dance” to help give us a better chance of getting pregnant.
Latino, Native American
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The only downside to IVF Plano is that it was so far for us to drive. We live about an hour away with no traffic so on days that we needed to there early it was prime rush hour and took us about an hour & half or more. We also had to take the toll road every time which cost us about $10 every time we drove out there and if we needed to meet due to schedules that was double the money to pay in toll roads. I wouldn’t change a thing though, I would drive hours away to get the care I got from IVF Plano. The doctor & staff are great.
The office was small and I pretty much always had the same nurse & ultrasound technician every visit which I loved! They were very encouraging & sympathetic at the same time! They explained everything at every step of the way! They really got to know us and didn’t just take our money and moved on.
The nursing staff was very compassionate. There were 2 nurses that cared for us and both were very good at their job. They knew how to draw blood and didn’t have to poke me multiple times. When it was time to get ready for the IUI procedure they explained everything we needed to do and also suggested when we needed to do the “baby dance” to help give us a better chance of getting pregnant. They called with results of blood work & was just there for us the whole way through.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas was very honest & really listened to us. This was our second RE doctor and I had a really bad experience with the first one so the fact that he spent almost an hour & half with us on our consultation appointment just talking about all our options and concerns really made me feel at ease. We had knowledge about my BRCA2 breast cancer mutation which I loved! The fact that he knew meds that would keep my risk level down made me feel safe with him as my doctor. He took the time to listen to our long list of questions. He didn’t want to just “steal” our money. Instead of doing all these tests again or unnecessary testing he saved us the money so we could start the IUI process. He is a very understanding & compassionate doctor that really listens to what you have to say.
I would tell them to do some research and make a long list of questions to ask Dr. Douglas cause he will answer them all. Go in prepared.
The first two months we did IUI we did 5mg of Letrozole (2pills every night on day 3-5 of cycle for a week) went back on day 12 to start ultrasounds and did Lupron trigger shot when my follicles were at optimal size 19-20mm. We used Letrozole to keep my estrogen low because of my BRCA2 breast cancer mutation. We would go back after 36hrs of trigger shot and do the IUI procedure. The day after our IUI we would go back to do an ultrasound to see if we released the follicles. The first 2 months we only released 1 follicle. The would start progesterone suppositories that night for the next 2 weeks until we took our pregnancy test. If the test was negative we would stop progesterone. Both months resulted in negative pregnancy tests. The last month we did IUI, Dr. Douglas suggested we take this round with a different approach since our problem was that we had multiple follicles growing but only 1 was releasing, so the last month our game plan was to take 100mg of Clomid & 5mg of Letrozole (2 pills) starting on day 3 of cycle for 7days. Went back on day 12 of cycle to begin ultrasounds. We also did a different trigger shot. We did Ovidrel this month instead of Lupron. Dr. Douglas explained that this would raise my estrogen a little high but worth it if we released 2 follicles so we agreed to try it. We went back 36hrs after trigger shot for IUI procedure. The next day after the procedure we went back to verify if we released. And our change of plans released 2 follicles that month! We were so excited! We start progesterone suppositories the day after the IUI and took them for 2wks until we took a pregnancy test. Unfortunately that month also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We are currently taking a break before we move on to our next plan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
We were self pay so we had to pay for everything upfront and out of pocket because our insurance didn’t cover anything. Usually all together for meds, ultrasounds, IUI procedure, and blood work it cost around $1500. Sometimes you need more ultrasounds if your follicles are growing slower so that will affect your price. Ultrasounds cost $175 for initial and $125 for more to check on size of follicles. If you have to come in on the weekend it’s $35 fee. Blood work was usually around $160. The actual IUI procedure was about $500-$700 for sperm was and insemination. The meds cost a pretty penny. The Lupron ran around $100. The progesterone cost $160, and the Letrozole cost $14. The Ovidrel shot cost $70.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [IVF Plano] is located in Plano. There is plenty of parking. They have an exam room and then a separate room with a couch where the nurse speaks to you and explains anything you need help with. It is a typical Doctor’s office but it works. It is clean and organized....The nursing staff was always available and they answered questions and even showed us how to administer the medications. They drew the correct places on my body and everything.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The clinic is located in Plano. There is plenty of parking. They have an exam room and then a separate room with a couch where the nurse speaks to you and explains anything you need help with. It is a typical Doctor’s office but it works. It is clean and organized.
Doctor Douglas was always available to meet with us and answer our questions when we went to the office. They monitored me closely while stimming and the nurse staff was also easily reaches by phone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Doctor Douglas had a difficult time with me during the egg transfer but he did not give up. He tried three separate times until he got it and thankfully it worked. He is the only Doctor that could do it in TX as another Doctor turned me away because he was unable to do the practice transfer. Dr. Douglas is our miracle worker! We wish we had been left with more eggs to transfer but another Doctor has looked at my cycle since then and he even said we were very lucky to have one embryo that stuck. We are forever grateful for Dr. Douglas and his team that they did not give up on us!!
Believe it will happen. Trust the process. Trust God. Trust Dr. Douglas. Trust yourself.
Antagonist protocol with a lupron trigger. I don’t know the rationale but this protocol resulted in an amazing egg retrieval of over 20 eggs!! 17 fertilized with ICSI. Down to 5 on day 3 and then down to 1 by day 5. We transferred the 1 embryo and got a positive pregnancy test. hCG levels were extremely high but failed to double, then leveled off and my daughter was born! PRAISE GOD!
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
I believe all in it was 20,000. $10,000 for IVF, $5,000 for meds and $5,000 for transfer but I do not recall exactly.
We only had one embryo.
Plano

Strength: [at IVF Plano] On time, nurses and receptionists always answer the phone or call right back. Weakness: Little time with Dr Douglas, and little information...Both nurses, Beth and Angela, shared responsibilities, both worked really hard, took all calls, always called back, and were very sweet, encouraging and seem to be great people. Dr Douglas is "Oz behind the curtain," so these two ladies do everything. All communication is thru them...
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
Strength: On time, nurses and receptionists always answer the phone or call right back. Weakness: Little time with Dr Douglas, and little information. Most was pretty blind.
I had to really work to be treated like a human--I seemed like a number to Dr Douglas. He is very dry and zero bed side manner. Doesn't encourage questions and isn't thorough. However, he is always on time (people at surgery center noted this), was very confident, and his staff always answered the phone. Nurses were very nice and really seemed to care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano. (Assigned nurse: Beth and Angela)
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Not warm and fuzzy, zero bed side manner, and not present for many appointments. Quick, efficient, on time. Very little words. "Wizard of Oz behind the curtain." Very little info, seems bored when you meet with him. Not encouraging of questions. Nurses handle everything. Shrugged when I had a miscarriage, offered zero help or explanation. He would be a good choice if you're a patient who doesn't want a lot of info and would just rather trust the doctor to do it all, and not know any details. I prefer someone very thorough and informational. It's probably a personal preference thing.
Dr Douglas be a better fit for a patient who wants to sit back, relax, and let the doctor handle 100%. Good fit for someone who doesn't want to ask many questions or doesn't want to know anything medical. He is very confident and doesn't seem to have any desire to answer questions or talk through things. Not a good fit for someone who wants to see the doctor at most appointments (you rarely see Dr Douglas), or someone who wants to ask questions and inform themselves (which I did).
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
It was around $18,000 total I believe.

2011 - 2019
The staff [at IVF Plano] is available during office hours to talk to in person for concerns, questions or updates. The staff respect patients with their privacy and feelings. They are all very compassionate. The nurses and office staff are very organized and know you by first name...Clean, organized and never feels over crowded. Appointment times are available when you need them. Sono and labs on site. Dr. Douglas' office is in the office. The front receptionists are very knowledgeable of processes and the money part and always polite.
2011 - 2019
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
Dr. Douglas always meets with you when there's suggestion for a plan change. Dr. Douglas has done all of my procedures. I'm always treated by him and his staff by first name. The staff is available during office hours for questions or updates..not machines, recordings or excessive hold lines.
The staff is available during office hours to talk to in person for concerns, questions or updates. The staff respect patients with their privacy and feelings. They are all very compassionate. The nurses and office staff are very organized and know you by first name.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas sets a time to meet with every plan change. He explains pro/cons of each path available. He doesn't pressure you to do what he thinks. He provides a plan and instructions on your chart, that you have both agreed on during the meeting. When you're ready to begin, you call the office and the staff know what to do. It's very organized and personalized. He is compassionate about his work and patients, but not "touchy, feely".
Meet an appointment to consult with him.
I don't remember
I don't remember
We are planning on IVF. During our consultation to start IVF, we discussed this. Dr. Douglas encouraged, with my age in consideration, to do pre-transfer genetic testing. Then he would transfer 1 embryo. If I absolutely didn't want to do the testing he would transfer 2 embryos. He strongly suggested the testing with 1 transfer.
Plano

This clinic [IVF Plano] is located at a very well know hospital. The lab used for embryos is also just steps away. I feel like it is very convenient. The clinic is small, but equipped. It is great that if the lab needs something from the doctor, or vice versa, it is within walking distance.... There are only 2 nurses, & 2 office staff. With this, you are sure to interact with the same people at every visit. They learn who you are very quickly.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
This clinic is located at a very well know hospital. The lab used for embryos is also just steps away. I feel like it is very convenient. The clinic is small, but equipped. It is great that if the lab needs something from the doctor, or vice versa, it is within walking distance.
Dr. Douglas takes the time needed in order to explain every detail of the treatment plan. With 40 years of experience, he knows what works. Dr. Douglas has a great bedside manor. I highly recommend Plano IVF.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas has 40+ years of experience. Within that time, he has learned what works & what doesn’t. He takes the time needed in order to explain the treatment plan, & to answer any questions. I chose Dr. Douglas because I was not getting results at my former doctor. I’m on my first treatment cycle with him, & am very confident in the outcome. I highly recommend IVF Plano for anyone looking for answers.
Lay out your wishes & expectations. Dr. Douglas will be up front & honest about treatment options.
I’m using 2mg estrogen twice daily, estrogen patch every 2 days, 40mg lovenox, baby aspirin once daily, & 1.5cc progesterone in oil injections every night.
Doctor fee for transfer $1480 Lab fee for transfer $1440
Dr. Douglas assesses if you’re a good candidate for twins before deciding if you can transfer multiple embryos.
Plano

He has several nurses who do all the patient care and one RT for ultrasounds [at IVF Plano]. The nurses are nice but I felt I should have seen the doctor more. I felt handed off.... There were several issues I had during my treatment. I asked several times to have treatment clarified with the doctor. Finally, I decided to leave the clinic.... All of my ultrasounds were done by a man, and if my husband was not with me, we were alone. I feel that if he is going to be the one doing the ultrasounds on women, there should be another person in the room as well.
Latino, Black or African-American
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
My husband did not go with me to every appointment. All of my ultrasounds were done by a man, and if my husband was not with me, we were alone. I feel that if he is going to be the one doing the ultrasounds on women, there should be another person in the room as well. The RT never did anything inappropriate, but to prevent someone from saying so, it's safer to have a female staff member present.
I only saw Dr Douglas for the consultation. All other appointments were with his nurses. Including my 3 IUI cycles.
He has several nurses who do all the patient care and one RT for ultrasounds. The nurses are nice but I felt I should have seen the doctor more. I felt handed off.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
I only saw him when we completed our consultation. We had all other appointments with his staff. Not much more to say about him since we didn't see him much. I can explain more about my care when I discuss his staff.
Insist all procedures be done with with the doctor.
I was told that my chances using IVF were very low since I have low egg reserve and quality. He suggested doing IUI. We completed 3 cycles. I was given trigger shot injections. During my final attempt, I was also given progesterone suppositories since my progesterone was low. All IUI results were negative.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
We paid our insurance rate for specialists and paid out of pocket for the IUIs.
None

2009 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
The clinic [IVF Plano] does not take secondary insurance and you have to file on your own later own. The staff does not seem to be so much informed on the insurance policy's. The office is small and is always busy which makes the wait times really long.... The nurse was kind of hard to get hold off. They were not available at the time I called and called me back next day or in two days.
2009 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The clinic does not take secondary insurance and you have to file on your own later own. The staff does not seem to be so much informed on the insurance policy's. The office is small and is always busy which makes the wait times really long.
Dr. James Douglas is a good doctor but I wish he spent more with his patients explaining things. I did not know much about the process and did a lot of research on my own. He does have a good bedside manner and answers all the questions when asked. His staff was also very cooperative. I felt second time around I was not given much information on my FET. I was not aware about the procedure and what it took to thaw the egg. Wish I had a better understanding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano.
The nurse was kind of hard to get hold off. They were not available at the time I called and called me back next day or in two days. The staff were very nice and cooperative tough.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas is not a great communicator but he does answer all the questions you have. He does not volunteer information on his own. I had my only child through Donor IVF under Dr. James Douglas. Second time around I felt very rushed and uninformed during the FET.
Please do your own research before and be prepared to ask questions.
I had to use a donor egg for my IVF process. My donor was my sister and DR. James Douglas did the egg retrieval for her. I had to use donor because of no good eggs left.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
My total IVF cost was around $17000 during 2009. The FET was around 44000 during 2014
My doctor at that time did not have a strong opinion on single embryo transfer but he did transfer two eggs the first time. I had one egg left that we froze for future use. I was not much informed about the benefits and trade offs on these approaches.

2013 - 2015
The strengths [at IVF Plano] are their proven results. Weaknesses is lack of communication regarding total cost of treatment. I was never given a treatment plan laid out with the costs we would incur...They were my angels and kept me fighting even when I wanted to give up. They {the nurses] are the reason I stayed for the long haul...Since we had unexplained infertility we began with the least invasive treatment and proceeded to the more invasive treatments as needed.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The strengths are their proven results. Weaknesses is lack of communication regarding total cost of treatment. I was never given a treatment plan laid out with the costs we would incur.
We had multiple consultations with Dr. Douglas and he always answered all of our questions clearly and concisely. We always knew the course of treatment he was taking us through and way we were there in the first place. His nurses could not have been better to me, even when I wanted to quit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Plano. (Assigned nurse: kelly, beth, vicki)
They were my angels and kept me fighting even when I wanted to give up. They are the reason I stayed for the long haul.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas is very matter of fact and to the point. But I appreciated that because I was very emotionally charged being upset that I was even needing to seek infertility treatment in the first place. He clearly explained that treatments that I would be receiving and the time period in which they would take place.
Be confident that Dr. Douglas is a proven expert in this field and his results speak for themselves.
we paid around 35k

2013 - 2015
The staff at IVF Plano is amazing. They share in your joy and/or sorrow. With each negative pregnancy test, I was held behind a closed door while I cried. The nurses are truly there for you and want everything for you that you want.... The nurses are the best part about the clinic. They are so understanding and compassionate. I would not have made it through the process without their emotional support.
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
They are great communicators. They are very easy to get ahold of.
They are absolutely amazing. The nurses are the best part about the clinic. They are so understanding and compassionate. I would not have made it through the process without their emotional support.
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas was really wonderful. HE explained every detail of the procedures and answered every single question I had. I never felt rushed, like he needed to get on schedule and go to another patient. He stayed with me until I was comfortable with the information I was receiving.
Write your questions down before your appointments. He really liked that I was prepared and that I had researched the procedures.
We continued to do IUIs because the sperm quality and egg quality were both good. After 5 failed IUIs we decided together that we would need to be more aggressive with IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Douglas at IVF Plano.
IUIs cost me approx $500-600 a cycle. IVF cost about $12,000. And that was taking in the fact that the clinic gave me some donated meds.
He is extremely hesitant to transfer more than 2 eggs at a time. He had a patient transfer 3 and all three split. IF you want to transfer more than 2, he has you sign a letter stating that it's your choice and you understand the risks.

3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
The clinic [IVF Plano] was very good - professional and organized. The pricing was very reasonable and communicated well. As a new patient, you will feel comfortable and prepared for the procedures, as did I. I did not feel any negatives with the clinic.... Dr. Douglas's nursing staff was excellent! I was very pleased with them. They made me feel very comfortable
3 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with IVF Plano.
The clinic was very good - professional and organized. The pricing was very reasonable and communicated well. As a new patient, you will feel comfortable and prepared for the procedures, as did I. I did not feel any negatives with the clinic.
Dr. Douglas was very professional and personable
How was your experience with James Douglas at IVF Plano?
Dr. Douglas was warm and understanding. He had a personable demeanor and was very professional. Dr. Douglas took the time to meet with me and understand my egg retrieval situation and the risks involved.
You will be in good hands with Dr. Douglas!
Dr. Douglas employed the highest possible dosage level due to my diminished egg reserve
Medicine and procedure