Genetic counseling: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
9335 McKnight Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
412.578.5588
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny to a friend?

7.3

7.1

7.3
2 doctors
3 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
She [Dr. Balmir] even took the time to call me at night before we started treatment to talk through last minute questions I had. We felt truly cared for from the second we walked into her office for a consult. During the transfer she played classical music for us and our embryo. She has been such a big cheerleader for us too. Seeing Dr Balmir was the best decision we’ve made on our journey...Freeze all cycle. (She knew I was going to over-stimulate) Follistim, Ganarelix and Menopur. Lupron trigger (no HCG) Estrace vaginally and progesterone in oil shots for transfer Antibiotics and steroids before transfer Baby aspirin daily
[Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny is] the smallest clinic in Pittsburgh but they recently revamped their lab and many of their protocols...They do IVF in batches - so all retrieval’s are scheduled in one week and all transfers scheduled the following week. So they will put you on birth control to “take over” your cycle and get you on their schedule. The office is a little dated and very clinical looking - like a doctors office. Which is fine. But there are some fertility clinics that are decorated more homey.
3 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Fabiola Balmir at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Dr Balmir will take however much time you need with you and she will answer every single question. She wants to make sure you are 100% comfortable and confident. She will make you feel so appreciated. She is the only doctor who showed sincere sympathy for the journey we’ve been on. She will be your biggest cheerleader and supporter. I have nothing but fantastic things to say about her. GO SEE HER! You will not regret it!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Fabiola Balmir at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
GO SEE HER! And bring all your questions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Fabiola Balmir at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Dr Balmir is nothing short of fantastic. We have been to multiple REs in our day, and she is the only one that spent time with us. She explained everything clearly (she even drew us pictures!). I had loads of questions and she answered every single one. She even took the time to call me at night before we started treatment to talk through last minute questions I had. We felt truly cared for from the second we walked into her office for a consult. During the transfer she played classical music for us and our embryo. She has been such a big cheerleader for us too. Seeing Dr Balmir was the best decision we’ve made on our journey.
Describe the protocols Fabiola Balmir used in your cycles at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol. Freeze all cycle. (She knew I was going to over-stimulate) Follistim, Ganarelix and Menopur. Lupron trigger (no HCG) Estrace vaginally and progesterone in oil shots for transfer Antibiotics and steroids before transfer Baby aspirin daily
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Valerie )
Staff is great! Everyone was very nice to me. My only complaint is that you can’t talk to them right away. You have to leave a voicemail or email. But they will respond usually the same day.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
It’s the smallest clinic in Pittsburgh but they recently revamped their lab and many of their protocols. They are now state of the art. They have the BEST embryologists in Pittsburgh. They do IVF in batches - so all retrieval’s are scheduled in one week and all transfers scheduled the following week. So they will put you on birth control to “take over” your cycle and get you on their schedule. The office is a little dated and very clinical looking - like a doctors office. Which is fine. But there are some fertility clinics that are decorated more homey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Fabiola Balmir at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
My insurance covered most of it (minus our 20% copay) I had to pay for freezing and thawing out of pocket
Describe Fabiola Balmir's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
My insurance only covered single transfer
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Fabiola Balmir at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Treatment plan [by Dr. Lori Homa] did not feel very personalized, more like part of an algorithm...Only saw the doctor once for initial consultation and treatment plan. All communication was done by the RN and IUI procedure performed by RN. Since multiple IUI’s failed, we will have follow up with the doctor. She was very textbook and to the point, not very warm but I would prefer to not have medical information “candy coated”
The nurses [at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] make sure to educate you on your medications. They do not really discuss treatment plans with you, as that is left up to discussion with the doctors. You also only see the doctor when follow up is needed after consultation, which was a little odd but also more efficient for the clinic. Billing had a billing liaison who we could never reach by phone but were able to more easily through email. All staff was polite and friendly, professional.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Be prepared with questions. She will answer all questions very matter of fact. Also prepare for little communication with the doctor, as most of it goes through the RN. But if you have questions for the doctor the nurse will ask and call you back.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Treatment plan did not feel very personalized, more like part of an algorithm.
Describe the protocols Lori Homa used in your cycles at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny and their degree of success.
We started with Clomid and timed intercourse for the first cycle with the RE as we were repeating labs. When we had the results, she recommended Medicated IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel due to diagnosis of low morphology and history of mild endometriosis. Endometriosis was previously diagnosed. We went through 4 total rounds of Clomid, 3 Of those with IUI and Ovidrel injection. All failed, now awaiting a follow up appointment
The nurses are wonderful. I worked with a different nurse every cycle, but they all seemed to be aware of our treatment plan. They were able to answer most questions, and if I requested they discuss with the doctor then they would call me back with an answer by the end of the day.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Strengths include friendliness of the front desk staff and nurses. The nurses also make sure to educate you on your medications. They do not really discuss treatment plans with you, as that is left up to discussion with the doctors. You also only see the doctor when follow up is needed after consultation, which was a little odd but also more efficient for the clinic. Billing had a billing liaison who we could never reach by phone but were able to more easily through email. All staff was polite and friendly, professional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Clomid- $16 with GoodRX coupon Ovidrel- $107 with freedom fertility rebate Mid cycle ultrasound- $291cash IUI- $369 cash SA- $15 after insurance
Describe Lori Homa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.

We are quickly sent through every appointment. Dr. Wakim doesn't even take the time to read your file before appointments and doesn't seem to take any notes...While Dr. Wakim seems like a nice enough guy, he doesn't really spend much time with you. Just told me I was lucky I was young, all my and my husbands tests looked perfect, and that there was no real answer as to why I wasn't getting pregnant...We did 4 rounds of hybrid IUI cycles (letrozole + gonal f + trigger shot). I needed about 400-475 units of gonal f each cycle and did 2.5 or 5 mg letrozole for days 3-7.
I have no IVF coverage and they [UPMC Magee] told me I'd need approx. $15,000 up front before they'd allow me to be seen for an appointment. I asked about WinFertility and financial counselor told me that they lose money when patients use that service "but it might be cheaper for me to use it."...You will be required to monitor your own medications (know when its time to reorder) and read your own test results. Test results are never explained. Calls from the nurses are either "Continue your current dose and come back or trigger and come for your IUI". Then a week later the results come to the online portal and you have to look at them yourself and ask questions.
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Find a different doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Describe the protocols Anthony Wakim used in your cycles at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny and their degree of success.
The nurses and staff are horrible. The only person who I loved was the ultrasound tech. She was great. Nurses and front desk staff are rude and constantly complaining or gossiping with each other.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
I actually go to AHN Fertility Center. Dr. Wakim is no longer with UPMC. New patients should understand that they will be pretty much on their own through this process. You will be required to monitor your own medications (know when its time to reorder) and read your own test results. Test results are never explained. Calls from the nurses are either "Continue your current dose and come back or trigger and come for your IUI". Then a week later the results come to the online portal and you have to look at them yourself and ask questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
IUI tends to be about $1,000 per cycle w/insurance coverage. I have no IVF coverage and they told me I'd need approx. $15,000 up front before they'd allow me to be seen for an appointment. I asked about WinFertility and financial counselor told me that they lose money when patients use that service "but it might be cheaper for me to use it." She told me about 3 times that the program doesn't pay their clinic fairly. I suspect thats why she didn't tell me about it until I asked about it.
Anthony Wakim
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I feel treated like a number because she never takes her time to talk to patients that are not gping thru ivf. Anyone not doing ivf is pushed aside. And doesn't get the testing thats needed to figure out why your having problems with recurring miscarriage.... Dr. Homa pushes more for ivf. If your not an ivf patient then your pushed off the the nurses for your treatment. She has NO compassion for her patients. She's a new mother during a procedure with her she sat there in front of me talking with a nurse about he son and her soon to arrive daughter.
They [Jones Institute at West Penn] push ivf. They dont really do any testing unless your gping thru ivf. Even if you would ask for testing its not done. Examples are sperm count or a genetic blood tests. The nurses are their biggest strength. That and their office is nice, its clean and the most are nice and friendly.... Most of the staff in office is great there are a few ladies who are rude and talk about you and other people behind your back and in front of other patients. Sarah and Jen are the best nurses there.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Homa pushes more for ivf. If your not an ivf patient then your pushed off the the nurses for your treatment. She has NO compassion for her patients. She's a new mother during a procedure with her she sat there in front of me talking with a nurse about he son and her soon to arrive daughter. As someone going thru ferility and having 2 miscarriages and an eptopic it was very unprofessional and insensitive of her to do that. During eptopic treatments she had called me on the phone since she wasn't in office for weeks due to doing ivf at hospital and she was holding her baby who was making noises in the phone while trying to talk to me about the eptopic and the medicine that was used for stop growth of my baby and the next steps during the miscarriage as to what to expect and that going forward ivf is only option which we can't afford being its $16,000 plus medicine and other testing.
If your not doing ivf try another doctor in the office first.
Letrozol was used qith trigger every month. I have always had low progesterone i had to fight to get that with my last pregnancy that endes in an eptopic. Eptopic that almost busted my tube due to dr. Homa not wanted to do a ultrasound earlier.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
They push ivf. They dont really do any testing unless your gping thru ivf. Even if you would ask for testing its not done. Examples are sperm count or a genetic blood tests. The nurses are their biggest strength. That and their office is nice, its clean and the most are nice and friendly.
My insurance pays for non-associated fertilization but for 1 cycle of ivf is $16000.00 plus the cost of medicine.

Anovulation, Male Factor
Dr. Balmir was sensitive, listened, was reassuring, and made us feel like it was truly her passion and pleasure to help us have the family we imagine...gave us the worst news of our entire lives and we still left the appointment loving her and feeling confident in our decision to choose her as our doctor. She is compassionate, responsive to concerns, questions, and anxieties, and makes all her patients feel understood, valued, seen, and important.
The nursing staff [at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] is responsive and sincere, they answer all questions and are sensitive to worries and concerns. Their communication isn't as open as I would like it to be and as a teacher that is not free to answer my phone whenever they call, we have been known to play games of phone tag, but they are persistent and never gave up, no matter how inconvenient my job made my treatment.
European, Latino
Anovulation, Male Factor
Dr. Balmir gave us the worst news of our entire lives and we still left the appointment loving her and feeling confident in our decision to choose her as our doctor. She is compassionate, responsive to concerns, questions, and anxieties, and makes all her patients feel understood, valued, seen, and important.
Don't ever hesitate to ask her questions, she will make time for you an your concerns and she will do her best to make sure you're comfortable.
Dr. Balmir supervised my husband through his male factor infertility diagnosis and had an extensive meeting with us regarding our options afterwards. She explained everything, with pictures and definitions, and we left armed with information about IUI, IVF, donor sperm, donor embryos, and adoption . We chose to move forward with donor sperm IUI, with letrozole and ovidrel before our IUIs. I
The nursing staff is responsive and sincere, they answer all questions and are sensitive to worries and concerns. Their communication isn't as open as I would like it to be and as a teacher that is not free to answer my phone whenever they call, we have been known to play games of phone tag, but they are persistent and never gave up, no matter how inconvenient my job made my treatment.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The clinic is beautiful, clean, and well kept. It is thoughtfully organized and in an easy location. It is large enough that wait time isn't long, but small enough that you truly feel like a priority and valued patient.
So far, our treatment costs have been minimal. We pay $165 for lie ovidrel each cycle, and about $5 for the letrozole. We also pay about $75 for the donor sperm analysis and IUI procedure, but our biggest cost is the $1,100 a cycle for the donor sperm. Unfortunately, neither the clinic nor the insurance can cover that cost for us.
2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
We are getting ready to begin our first IVF round in the coming weeks, but [Dr. Fabiola Balmir] is helpful, honest, smart, and explains every thing we need to know thoroughly. She’s kind and caring, which is important to us...takes the time to get to know you. When you go into the office for bloodwork, etc., even if you don’t have an appointment with her that day, she makes it a point to say hello to her patients by name. She’s thorough and answers every question that we have without making us feel like we are a burden.
I wasn’t told to get my trial transfer done [at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] prior to starting IVF, and had to delay starting IVF because of it...All of the nurses were helpful... but it can be a challenge to connect with them. You typically have to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back...it can be intimidating to call because you feel like you’re constantly leaving voicemails, but don’t hesitate to do that so that your questions get answered. They also wait to assign you a nurse until you’re getting closer to starting a procedure,
2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
We are getting ready to begin our first IVF round in the coming weeks, but Dr. Balmir is helpful, honest, smart, and explains every thing we need to know thoroughly. She’s kind and caring, which is important to us.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. She’s always incredibly helpful.
Dr. Balmir is caring and takes the time to get to know you. When you go into the office for bloodwork, etc., even if you don’t have an appointment with her that day, she makes it a point to say hello to her patients by name. She’s thorough and answers every question that we have without making us feel like we are a burden.
We are at the beginning stages of IVF. I’d be able to better answer this question in a month or two.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
The nurses are helpful but it can be a challenge to connect with them. You typically have to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Getting to talk to a nurse can be a challenge because they screen their calls, but they do call you back and are always happy to answer questions. When you’re new to this, it can be intimidating to call because you feel like you’re constantly leaving voicemails, but don’t hesitate to do that so that your questions get answered. They also wait to assign you a nurse until you’re getting closer to starting a procedure, so you are talking to a different nurse all the time in the beginning. Personally, I felt much more comfortable since being assigned a nurse and knowing that she would be my main point of contact moving forward. All of the nurses were helpful, though.
We’re expecting it will cost around $15,000.

2016 - 2019
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
For the first 2 cycles [with Dr. Balmir] we did letrozole only then clomed only. The other 6 cycles were clomed and letrozole combined with trigger shots...is always so positive! She tells me everything she planned and why we are doing what we are doing...is on top of her research. If you read it on the internet and have questions she always seems to know what shes talking about. She goes over treatment styles, courses, and medications. Her return communication is lacking tho. There were times id send a message on the mychart or ask a nurse to relay a message to her and ive never gotten responses unless i see her in the office.
The fertility clinic [Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] opens before the building so sometimes you have to use the back entrance and they forget to tell you that at 6am appointments. The carpet is old and stained and the waiting room is really small. There is plenty of parking and 2 spots for expecting mothers but i never see anyone park there...There are times she [nurse] forgot things, like how i dont get periods, but thats usually only happened when they were taking on new patients. The nurses call the day you get bloodwork and ultrasounds done and go over meds. The one complaint i have is they arent always detailed. When doing my egg retrieval i was just told to adjust this med or stop this med, if i wanted to know how many follicles and sizes i always had to ask.
2016 - 2019
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr. Balmir is on top of her research. If you read it on the internet and have questions she always seems to know what shes talking about. She goes over treatment styles, courses, and medications. Her return communication is lacking tho. There were times id send a message on the mychart or ask a nurse to relay a message to her and ive never gotten responses unless i see her in the office.
If you have a question that only she can answer please make sure the nurses get her on the phone otherwise youll be waiting awhile for a response. Her bedside manner and positive attitude with her knowledge make her an awesome doctor nonetheless.
Dr. Balmir is always so positive! She tells me everything she planned and why we are doing what we are doing.
We had to do 6 failed cycles in a 12month period before insurance would cover ivf. I had already done 2 cycles prior but the insurance didnt count those. For the first 2 cycles we did letrozole only then clomed only. The other 6 cycles were clomed and letrozole combined with trigger shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
My nurse was and is Sarah. Ive had her for almost the full 3 yrs ive been there. There are times she forgot things, like how i dont get periods, but thats usually only happened when they were taking on new patients. The nurses call the day you get bloodwork and ultrasounds done and go over meds. The one complaint i have is they arent always detailed. When doing my egg retrieval i was just told to adjust this med or stop this med, if i wanted to know how many follicles and sizes i always had to ask.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The fertility clinic opens before the building so sometimes you have to use the back entrance and they forget to tell you that at 6am appointments. The carpet is old and stained and the waiting room is really small. There is plenty of parking and 2 spots for expecting mothers but i never see anyone park there.
My insurance covered everything once my deductible was met so i only paid copays when i had to see the doc or for meds
Due to us getting 10 day5 blasts she strongly recommended 1 eset. My plan only covers eset anyways so it worked out

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Homa was very much set on the values of my blood work. I was 29-30 at the time of seeing her and she said my values are what they are and that’s it. Donor eggs or nothing. She gave no hope or even condolences for delivering such shocking news...she said something along the lines of “yep looks like we have confirmation, you have premature ovarian failure, your only option for getting pregnant is using donor eggs, sorry” and in the next minute said “ I’ll send the girls in to talk to you about our options and send you to the finance office, have a nice day.” I was not only shattered from the confirmation of being basically in menopause at age 30 but she didn’t even act like we would need time to grieve or .come to terms with the information. She Just shuffled us off to the next person to move forward with treatment.
After being given some shocking and devastating news the nurse [at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] was compassionate she apologized and showed sympathy repeatedly during the short time she was in the room. She provided me with tissues and a reassuring touch...My blood work results came in and I hadn’t heard anything in 2 weeks. I called and was told the doctor was on vacation for 2 more weeks and would have to wait to get my results reviewed until then.
European, Other
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
She was unprofessional. She walked into our second appointment, which was her first of the day after coming back from vacation, 30-45 mins late in a spaghetti strap sun dress with her bra straps hanging out. This appointment was to review the blood work that confirmed my diagnosis. After she finally came in the room she said something along the lines of “yep looks like we have confirmation, you have premature ovarian failure, your only option for getting pregnant is using donor eggs, sorry” and in the next minute said “ I’ll send the girls in to talk to you about our options and send you to the finance office, have a nice day.” I was not only shattered from the confirmation of being basically in menopause at age 30 but she didn’t even act like we would need time to grieve or .come to terms with the information. She Just shuffled us off to the next person to move forward with treatment.
If you are looking for any compassion or support from your physician look elsewhere. Her demeanor made me feel like I was a distraction or annoyance. She was unprofessionally dressed which may not be deal breaker for some But a certain level of professional attire is required and black bra straps in pink sundress doesn’t cut it for me.
I never received treatment. I found a different physician.
After being given some shocking and devastating news the nurse was compassionate she apologized and showed sympathy repeatedly during the short time she was in the room. She provided me with tissues and a reassuring touch.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Strengths: Very organized, and streamlined, get you to all the people you need to see in one visit saving time, free goodie bags with baby and fertility friendly tester size products! The medical build has a blood draw center in the first floor Weaknesses: confusing set up for check- in, long wait times, strange the didnt draw my blood there, gave me scripts to go get blood drawn that day in a outpatient public blood draw lab ( I was sobbing hysterically the whole time and the poor trainee was sooooo uncomfortable)
$1000
+ Read more- Read less

He read my chart prior to my follow up visit and was very familiar with my plans and my timeline. He laid out the treatment plan for the next 6 months (provided I do not become pregnant within the timeframe) just so I know what to expect each step of the way instead of waiting until that treatment to lay everything on me...Dr. Wakim took the time to listen to the concerns I had and helped me develop a plan for treatment going forward. With the understanding that we are on a strict timeline, we're taking an aggressive approach
[Jones Institute] Debbie was very compassionate and encouraging. She has been professional and personable each time I've seen her....He [Dr. Wakim] read my chart prior to my follow up visit and was very familiar with my plans and my timeline. He laid out the treatment plan for the next 6 months (provided I do not become pregnant within the timeframe) just so I know what to expect each step of the way instead of waiting until that treatment to lay everything on me.
I'm on a very strict timeline. I will be turning 40 this year and I had a miscarriage previously and a successful rainbow baby also. My pregnancy was incredibly difficult and I understood that should I become pregnant again, that it would likely be just as difficult. But Dr. Wakim took the time to listen to the concerns I had and helped me develop a plan for treatment going forward. With the understanding that we are on a strict timeline, we're taking an aggressive approach, but it just means more testing and exams for me. A small price to pay for such a large return, in my opinion.
Tell him exactly what you want and what your plans are.
I'm undergoing my first treatment right now, and I'm currently taking Letrozole (5mg) for days 3-5 of my cycle. That will be the treatment plan for the next 2 months should this one not work, but then we'll go with IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
If you're new to this, go in prepared with any questions you may have. From what meds will I be taking, to how many ultrasounds/blood tests/etc. If you've been through this before, go with expectations and have a plan in mind to discuss with him.
So far, all of my treatments have been covered by my insurance. I have had to pay my usual co-pay and the prescriptions were also covered under my prescription plan.
Anthony Wakim
+ Read more- Read less

This clinics [Jones Institute] strengths would be the nursing staff, results were always given in a timely fashion, and early morning appointments were available to avoid missed time at work. There was very minimal weaknesses with the clinic itself.... The nursing staff was great! They all seemed to be very compassionate, caring, and positive throughout the whole experience.... We had to pay the medicine out of pocket which totaled around 200 a time for timed intercourse.
I felt my experience with Dr Homa as a patient was both positive and negative. She was very knowledgeable, but when giving information or answers it felt as though she was reading from a text book. When we first started seeing dr homa, she was pregnant and had gone through fertility treament herself so we felt that she would empathize us. This made us feel more comfortable. After deciding to move forward with the IVF, there was a lack of communication the morning of the Embryo transfer. The last time we were notified we had 7 fertilized embryos only to find out only 1 had made it to day 5. We found this out in the procedure room minutes before the transfer occurred. This was very disheartening to hear and we left there feeling already defeated.
Ask several questions and make sure you feel 100% comfortable before moving forward with any treatment or procedures.
We felt that Dr. Homa lacked the compassion that we expected would come from a fertility doctor. She showed very little emotion and we felt her answers to our questions came directly from a text book.
Our first 13 cycles was timed intercourse with letrozole and ovidrel trigger shot. Those all were unsuccessful. We then decided to move forward with ivf. We used my eggs and my husbands semen. There were a total of 16 eggs retrieved and 7 fertilized. Only one made it to blastocyst stage and had a fresh transfer. This ivf cycle was also unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
This clinics strengths would be the nursing staff, results were always given in a timely fashion, and early morning appointments were available to avoid missed time at work. There was very minimal weaknesses with the clinic itself.
We had to pay the medicine out of pocket which totaled around 200 a time for timed intercourse. The total for the IVF was around 15,000.
No comments as we only had one embryo that made it to blastocyst stage to transfer
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
My experience as a patient with dr homa was okay. Just okay. I left her office feeling overwhelmed. My husband and i waited almost an hour to see her, and after she came in and talked with us, it was very fast and impersonal. There was no talk of a plan B, if the iui didn’t work out.... Dr homa kept me on the same protocol as my gynecologist. She didn’t change anything, and kept me at the highest dosage of femara, but added in a trigger shot, an ultrasound and an iui.
The staff [Jones Institute] was nice when i called with questions, and made me feel comfortable during my ultrasound. The nurse who preformed my iui was fast and answered the questions i had.... Billing was unclear, i was told that we would talk about payment options the day of my iui, but the day of, it seemed like that was an unusual request. The staff was nice. Making appointments was easy.... The trigger shot for IUI was a bit expensive
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
My experience as a patient with dr homa was okay. Just okay. I left her office feeling overwhelmed. My husband and i waited almost an hour to see her, and after she came in and talked with us, it was very fast and impersonal. There was no talk of a plan B, if the iui didn’t work out. This was my only experience with dr homa personally.
I saw dr homa after 6 failed rounds of femara under my gynecologist care. I had two visits with dr homa, our first being my general consultation where she just went over all of the previous treatments and then suggested another round of femara, this time monitored and an iui. Our appointment was quick and impersonal. The rest of my experience was with her staff.
Dr homa kept me on the same protocol as my gynecologist. She didn’t change anything, and kept me at the highest dosage of femara, but added in a trigger shot, an ultrasound and an iui. I assume her rationale was because the femara was making me ovulate in my previous cycles, it would be good to try again with the added trigger and iui. The result was not pregnancy. We never discussed a plan B, so after the failed round my husband and i decided on taking a break from treatment.
The staff was nice when i called with questions, and made me feel comfortable during my ultrasound. The nurse who preformed my iui was fast and answered the questions i had.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The trigger shot for IUI was a bit expensive, but i was able to get it for less. I was unsure of the cost of the iui until the day of, and was a bit overwhelmed having to pay all upfront.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Lori Homa] is a very knowledgeable person and is great at what she does... We walked into the room and didn't say a thing she just hugged me. Infertility is already hard as it is, but to become pregnant and have it swept out from underneath is an unfathomable experience. Dr. Homa made our experience a little less heart wrenching in walking us through what was to come...Dr. Homa is not a stranger to the situation. She's very compassionate and treated me with the utmost respect. I felt like she truly cared for me as a person and our journey.
The nurses of The Center for Reproductive Medicine were absolutely amazing. Everyone is super friendly and on top of everything. Specifically, Jenn, who I felt kind of took me under her wing and really showed compassion toward me. Most of these women if not all have experienced some type of issue in having children. Which I would wish upon no one, but it is reassuring they're not just giving you a textbook answer...The clinic is very clean and easy to find. It's very close and convenient for me.
During miscarriage we had seen the other doctor in the practice. His bedside manner was awful and was not caring in the matter. Our next appointment was an ultrasound with Dr. Homa to further check the progress. We walked into the room and didn't say a thing she just hugged me. Infertility is already hard as it is, but to become pregnant and have it swept out from underneath is an unfathomable experience. Dr. Homa made our experience a little less heart wrenching in walking us through what was to come. I appreciate her and thank God very day we have her to guide us!
Be patient. She is a very knowledgeable person and is great at what she does; keep in mind though that there may be other factors that contribute to her not helping you reach your goals. Just keep the faith!
I honestly don't remember exactly amounts but we upped my dosages with some of my medications during my second cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Maples)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The IVF cycle itself was $9,500 to be paid at once. I had to write two checks: one check for $450 which went towards my anesthesia and another check for $1250 in the event that we had embyros to freeze. Depending on the protocol will determine the amount you pay for medications. Ours were around $3,400. Insurance covered nothing. Our ultrasounds had a $30 co-pay EVERY visit.
Dr. Homa had a strong preference for a two embryo transfer the first time due to the quality of my embryos. Because only one took during that cycle we opted ourselves, without question, to do two for our second cycle.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Homa acknowledge the male factor was causing our problems...She claimed IUIs would solve the inadequate sperm quality issue...Saw her at initial appointment then dealt with nurses. I had no negative issues with her at the appointment personally...They don't really spend much time determining what your issue is. I can't believe I was told to do more IUIs after the first three failed, without any type of further testing...they never ever bring up the term "sperm donor."
This clinic [Jones] is very big on IUIs. They seem to recommend that to everyone no matter what the issue is...Also, the IUIs aren't timed well. Everyone's is timed the same and if it is a weekend, they'll just do it early and waste your money and time...[Nurses]very nice and friendly. They made me feel comfortable. Most were skilled at the IUI, however, one was not...I believe including drugs for each IUI, we spent $1,000 each time...I guess my main complaint about the clinic is that they want you in the IUI program right away.
Saw her at initial appointment then dealt with nurses. I had no negative issues with her at the appointment personally. I do think that she prescribes the treatments the clinic recommends for all patients.
Go into the appointment informed. Stress you want your specific problem dealt with and not the standard course of treatment the clinic does for almost everyone no matter the issue is.
She was friendly and answered all the questions.
Dr. Homa acknowledge the male factor was causing our problems. Her predecessor at Jones insisted everything was fine. She claimed IUIs would solve the inadequate sperm quality issue. However, I believe the problem was far worse than anyone at the clinic would admit.
Very nice and friendly. They made me feel comfortable. Most were skilled at the IUI, however, one was not. I do feel they had a bit of a "cover up" about the sperm quality.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
This clinic is very big on IUIs. They seem to recommend that to everyone no matter what the issue is. If you have an ovulation issue or hormonal problem, you may get lucky and this will be successful. However, they really don't like discussing sperm issues. They don't want to do further testing on sperm and they never ever bring up the term "sperm donor." I believe a lot of my precious time was wasted not to mention thousands of dollars on IUIs that really had no shot of every working. Also, the IUIs aren't timed well. Everyone's is timed the same and if it is a weekend, they'll just do it early and waste your money and time. Washed sperm only lives a few hours so timing is critical especially when there is a male issue to begin with.
I believe including drugs for each IUI, we spent $1,000 each time. The total we spent at Jones was around $7,000.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Hecht made such an effort to get to know my husband and I...He provided us with ideas and options to try and conceive in the simplest and least expensive way possible. Once we exhausted all of those options, unfortunately we did need to move onto IVF, but trust me, he worked with us to try EVERYTHING we could to avoid this... If something was urgent, he would call me on his personal cell phone to let me know what was going on.
How was your experience with Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
My husband and I will be forever grateful Dr. Hecht. I was a patient at the Jones Institute prior to his arrival and we had little to no progress in our treatment until he arrived. He provided us with ideas and options to try and conceive in the simplest and least expensive way possible. Once we exhausted all of those options, unfortunately we did need to move onto IVF, but trust me, he worked with us to try EVERYTHING we could to avoid this. We had quite a long journey with Dr.Hecht, and I am so happy to say that after about a year of medicated cycles, we finally had our success. He was with us every step of the way…. he was our physician first, but also showed us so much empathy and compassion during the difficult times. My husband and I appreciated his ‘hugs, high fives and humor’. Additionally, he was always open to the suggestions we brought to the table to enhance and personalize our treatment. And I will just say, his clinical skills when doing a pelvic exam or an IUI are excellent. I have had other OBGYNs who were HORRIBLE in this area, but there were times when I didn’t even feel him insert the speculum. This is truly a skill! Overall, we loved Dr. Hecht and are so sad that he moved back to Ohio. In full transparency though, I have had friends that have seen Dr.Hecht and were turned off by his sense of humor and candidness. While I can understand their feelings, for my husband and I, this is exactly what we needed. We have always been an open book about our situation and truly valued having a doctor who could be just as open with us. Infertility is a personal struggle. Find a doctor that fits your personality and lifestyle. We saw 3 different REs before Dr.Hecht and we knew with certainty that he was the best fit for us. Who knows, maybe for baby #2, we’ll make the two hour journey down the turnpike so we can work with him again :)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Don't be turned off by his sense of humor. He truly has your best interest at heart and wants you to succeed. Also, don't be afraid to be your own advocate. He is open to your suggestions. For my second egg retrieval, he wanted to keep my stim protocol the same as for the first, but I wanted to be more aggressive to possibly retrieve more eggs. We worked together to come up with a treatment plan which increased my meds slightly, but still protected me from developing OHSS, and for the second retrieval, we got TWICE as many eggs as the first! I really nice that we had an open patient/doctor relationship, and I felt comfortable approaching him with my ideas.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Dr. Hecht made such an effort to get to know my husband and I. He knew what we both did for our jobs and asked about them at every appointment. He always used our first names to say hello if we saw him in the waiting room. He was easy to talk to and used humor to make us feel comfortable. If something was urgent, he would call me on his personal cell phone to let me know what was going on.
Describe the protocols Bryan Hecht used in your cycles at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny and their degree of success.
May 2015 - IVF #1 - Follistim 200, Menopur 50, Ganirelix and Ovidril trigger. I stimmed for 12 days, had 9 eggs retrieved, 5 were fertilized and we transferred 2 day-3 embryos. No embryos made it to freeze. This cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. July - November 2015 - 5 IUI's - each month, did 5 days of Letrozol, tracked ovulation with OPKs, and triggered with Ovidril. All 5 IUIs ended in negative pregnancy tests. December 2015 - IVF #2 - Follistim 200, Menopur 75, Ganirelix and Ovidril trigger. I stimmed for 9 days, had 19 eggs retrieved, 10 were fertilized and we transferred 2 day-3 embryos. 5 day-3 embryos made it to freeze. This cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. March 2016 - FET #1 - vaginal estrace and prometrium for uterine priming, plus baby aspirin. Thawed and transferred 2 day-3 embryos. This cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. May 2016 - FET #2 - vaginal estrace and prometrium for uterine priming, plus baby aspirin. Thawed 3 day-3 embryos, and allowed them to develop to day-5. One embryo did not survive the thaw, one embryo developed to 8-cell stage, and one embryo became a blastocyst. Transferred the 8-cell and the blast. This cycle ended in a POSITIVE pregnancy test.
The nursing staff is wonderful. They also make great efforts to know you personally and show great care and compassion. I have shed many tears with them during the tough times, and when we finally had success, I could just tell they were as excited as my husband and I were! My only critical comments... 95% of the time, if you call and leave a message, they do return your phone call the same day, but there were a few times they did not call me back, which for a fertility patient, was very stressful to have to wait until the following day to try and call again. Additionally, I personally did not like it when the nurses performed the IUIs. There was one nurse that did them well, but when one of the other nurses performed one on me, it really hurt! After that, I always requested that the doctor performed my IUIs (which he did without hesitation). Otherwise, they were always helpful when explaining the process, medications and answering all of my crazy questions!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
My husband and I had a very unique/challenging male infertility situation, and the Jones Institute bent over backwards for us to do whatever they could to help achieve our goal of starting a family. We had such personal treatment at their office from EVERYONE… literally from the receptionist, to the nurses, to the financial coordinator to the embryologist. The entire staff was always so hopeful and positive, even during the most difficult times. And when we FINALLY had success, I cannot tell you how excited they were for us! We received three personal phone calls from different staff members congratulating us the day our pregnancy test came back positive! Although our journey was much longer than we originally anticipated, I am so happy that we went through it at the Jones Institute. I cannot stress the level of personalized care we received there and how invested the staff is in their patients. I still think about them all the time and will be forever grateful for the gift they have given us! Something unique about the clinic is the office is located in McCandless, but egg retrievals and embryo transfers are done at the surgery center in Allegheny General Hospital on the Northside (IUIs are performed in the McCandless office). Also the frozen embryos are stored at the hospital. They do bloodwork and will perform IUIs on Saturdays, but the office is closed on Sundays. They will do egg retrievals and transfers any day of the week, including holidays. My first retrieval was on Memorial Day and had an IUI done on Labor Day. They do batch scheduling for IVF. So they perform all IVF patient's retrievals and transfers during the same week in each month. I had to take birth control pills to delay my cycle to get onto their schedule.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The monitoring appointments were always in the morning, which was great for me. I always liked to try and get the first appointment at 6:45 or 7:00am so I could go straight to work afterwards. The ultrasound technicians do not work in the afternoon, so there are no afternoon appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
My treatment was mostly covered by insurance, so there may be other fees that I'm not aware of, but for me, these were the costs: - IVF egg retrieval & fresh embryo transfer - $9500 (including assisted hatching and ICSI) - Frozen embryo transfer - $3750 - Embryo freezing - $1200 - Annual embryo storage - $400 - Annual sperm storage - $400 - IUI - $950 - Medications - we were blessed to have all meds covered by insurance, so I don't know what these costs were.
Describe Bryan Hecht's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
He was open to whatever decision we wanted to make, but, especially for the day-3 embryos he encouraged transferring two.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.

Dr. Homa diagnosed me with Diminished Ovarian Reserve based on low AMH (.73) I had normal AFC and FSH. I was not happy with my experience at this clinic. I complained about having pain with sex and that I think I might have endometriosis. She said to talk to my gyno about the pain, but she would not perform surgery for endometriosis for infertility....The reason I left this clinic was that I had a huge cyst at my baseline cycle and she still let me proceed with Femara.
The nurses [at Jones] did all the work in this office. They did follow up with you. However, I do not think they remembered my name every appointment...I think the lack of an online portal to communicate with the nursing staff is something definitely missing here....The one nurse made me feel rather depressed when she said something to the effect of "despite your low amh, you have responded well..."
Dr. Homa diagnosed me with Diminished Ovarian Reserve based on low AMH (.73) I had normal AFC and FSH. I was not happy with my experience at this clinic. I complained about having pain with sex and that I think I might have endometriosis. She said to talk to my gyno about the pain, but she would not perform surgery for endometriosis for infertility. The reason I left this clinic was that I had a huge cyst at my baseline cycle and she still let me proceed with Femara. On CD 14, the cyst doubled in size and I had 1 17mm follicle. She told me to trigger the next morning and do the IUI on Friday. I didn't feel comfortable wasting a $100 trigger or spending $375 on the IUI on a cycle with the cyst so I canceled. The next day on CD 15, I got AF estrogen break through bleeding. I went back in on CD 3 and she said it wasn't my period and I had ovulated since I had a high progesterone. This was wrong. My progesterone was pre ovulation and my other numbers indicated that I was in a new cycle. IN fact, my u/s from 3 days before showed that uterine lining was already in the process of shedding. Something that I was not informed with. After this incident, I made an appointment at another clinic and didn't look back. My gyno ended up doing a lap surgery on me and diagnosed me with endometriosis. After my surgery, my AMH was 1.73 indicating my reserve for my age was not LOW.
Please do your own research. Do not just follow the doctor's orders.
The nurses did all the work in this office. They did follow up with you. However, I do not think they remembered my name every appointment. Just my face.
At our first consultation, Dr. Homa suggested hybrid cycles for me (femara plus gonal F). She suggested this protocol because I had a short luteal phase. She said that since I was DOR I had poor quality eggs and she wanted to fix the eggs at the beginning of the cycle so my luteal phase would extend. I wasn't comfortable jumping into injectables, so we stuck with femara and trigger for 3 cycles. Didn't get pregnant. Then we moved on to femara plus gonal f for one cycle. I responded well to all cycles but never got pregnant. We added an IUI for the hybrid cycle.
Overall, the nursing staff was okay. Jen was great. The other ones I didn't really think they communicated well to me. The one nurse made me feel rather depressed when she said something to the effect of "despite your low amh, you have responded well..."
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Most of my costs were covered under insurance. My IUI itself was not covered and was reasonably priced. The ultrasounds and bloodwork associated with the IUI were covered.
Does not apply to me.
+ Read more- Read less

I had gone in with a notebook of questions - I think there were two full pages - and he [Dr Bryan Hecht] spent the time with us to go over every one and made sure that I was comfortable with his answer and understood what his answer meant. After I had a miscarriage, I called the office and Dr. Hecht called me back personally...He has the best nurses. They all love their jobs and you can tell that it's a great place to work.
The strengths [of Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] - super friendly staff and they do whatever they can to squeeze you in when you need to be there since timing is everything! They also do not overbook. The only time I had to wait was when I showed up 30 minutes early (left extra time due to weather) for my appointment, but they even ended up taking me early since the person that was in the next slot cancelled. The weaknesses - their office is in McCandless, which is not very convenient. I ended up taking half days off of work when I had an appointment because it took me an hour to get there, an hour to get back, and usually 15-30 minutes during my appointment.
Dr. Hecht has an odd sense of humor. At my first appointment, he could tell that I was nervous and uneasy. He cracked a few jokes and I immediately began to calm down and relax. I had gone in with a notebook of questions - I think there were two full pages - and he spent the time with us to go over every one and made sure that I was comfortable with his answer and understood what his answer meant. After I had a miscarriage, I called the office and Dr. Hecht called me back personally. He made me and my husband feel like we were the only patients he had during that horrific time in our lives. He assured us that he was there to help us again and when we were ready, we could make an appointment and go back in to begin treatments. Upon our return, he sat down with us for over an hour and talked to us about the miscarriage and how we were feeling to make sure that we were emotionally ready to begin this process over again. It was great to have a doctor that was so invested in helping us begin a family.
Go in with an open mind. His humor does not make everyone laugh, but if you have an open mind about it and don't take things too seriously, he's great!
Dr. Hecht is very personal with his patients. Every time I'm in the office, when he walks through the waiting room, he addresses everyone in there by name. My husband went with me a few times and the times he did not accompany me, Dr. Hecht asked about him. I felt very comfortable with Dr. Hecht. He makes a very difficult situation bearable.
My very first treatment in October was to initiate a period, take Letrozol for days 3-7, go back for several ultrasounds to track the uterus lining and ovulation. Once he deemed that I was ovulating, I had specific instructions on intercourse. When my next period was due, I was instructed to either take a pregnancy test if no signs of a period or call them when my period started. I was fortunate to become pregnant on the first treatment. But as I mentioned earlier, I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks. We started treatments again in January. Since the Letrozol worked for me before, he saw no reason to change the treatment. We continued that treatment for 4 more months and on April 30th, I took another pregnancy test and it was positive. I'm currently 7 weeks along in this pregnancy and I have another appointment to see him in two weeks before he releases me to my OBGYN. He wants to stay with us through the rough spot - getting over that hump we were at last time catastrophe struck.
He has the best nurses. They all love their jobs and you can tell that it's a great place to work. There are a few nurses that drive several hours to work - that is a surefire sign to me that they love their jobs! Judy and Sharon were the two that I dealt with the most. No matter what small and "stupid" question I had, they never judged me and called me back immediately with answers. They could tell that I was paranoid about everything I did, everything I took, and they were extremely helpful. I had some dental issues when I first got pregnant and I called about everything. Am I allowed to have Novocaine? Am I allowed to get my teeth cleaned? Should I tell them that I'm pregnant or refuse x-rays? They were the best! And the ultrasound techs were fantastic too. They were very friendly and did everything they could to make you feel comfortable while you were incredibly vulnerable. Laying there on the table, naked from the waist down, with the ultrasound wand inside of you, you were able to have a regular conversation like two friends sitting across from one another at lunch. It was a great experience and I'm glad that I had/have such a wonderful team to work with.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The strengths - super friendly staff and they do whatever they can to squeeze you in when you need to be there since timing is everything! They also do not overbook. The only time I had to wait was when I showed up 30 minutes early (left extra time due to weather) for my appointment, but they even ended up taking me early since the person that was in the next slot cancelled. The weaknesses - their office is in McCandless, which is not very convenient. I ended up taking half days off of work when I had an appointment because it took me an hour to get there, an hour to get back, and usually 15-30 minutes during my appointment.
+ Read more- Read less

We went for our initial consultation after waiting several weeks for an appointment with Dr. Homa. We waited two hours to see her. She barely reviewed our medical history and threw options at us without explaining much. The time we did get with her felt rushed...Ask to see a different doctor if she has other appointments that will take priority (like egg retrievals)...We decided to do a cycle with injections and timed intercourse. I produced 5 follicles, three of which were 15mm or larger. We were not successful this cycle.
I have had most of my interactions at thus clinic [Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] with the nursing staff. They are willing to answer questions and showed me how to do the injections...Communication is definitely a problem. Each time you call the nurses line, you have to leave a message - no one ever answers. They return calls about once a day. Plan on playing phone tag. Overall everyone is friendly and it’s nice that you can have bloodwork done right there. However, I sat in the waiting room as the front office staff discussed the birth of one of their children with a patient. I could’ve done without that conversation.
I wasn’t really treated like a number per se, but at my initial consultation, I didn’t really feel like I was made a priority either.
Letrozole, Follistim, and Ovidrel. We decided to do a cycle with injections and timed intercourse. I produced 5 follicles, three of which were 15mm or larger. We were not successful this cycle.
I have had most of my interactions at thus clinic with the nursing staff. They are willing to answer questions and showed me how to do the injections.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
My IUIs are covered by insurance, so we haven’t paid anything but the copays on medication.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Balmir is very warm and compassionate. She sat down and answered all of our questions and set expectations of success. As someone who is obsessive researcher on Google, she answered each of my questions with an answer complete with research backing it. We never felt rushed out of the room with Dr. Balmir.... While Dr. Balmir is warm and compassionate, she is not going to beat around the bush with your chances of success.
Everyone at the clinic [Jones Institute] is very nice. They do sometimes seem a little disorganized but nothing that's ever caused any issues. The offices themselves are a little dated but they seem to have up to date equipment so that is all that matters.... Both IUI cycles cost around $200. We had already met our insurance deductible for this year so that did help costs.... All of the nurses are extremely nice. They will answer your questions to the best of their ability and seem to have already discussed the answer with the doctor.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Balmir took the time to talk with my husband and I to discuss treatment and expectations and also to answer my questions.
I was first put on 5mg femara and Gonal F injectables (75iu) for two IUI's. We are now going to try and increase the dose of Gonal to 100 for the next IUI which should give us more information on my response to fertility medications so that we can hopefully move forward to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Everyone at the clinic is very nice. They do sometimes seem a little disorganized but nothing that's ever caused any issues. The offices themselves are a little dated but they seem to have up to date equipment so that is all that matters.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Homa] is blunt and to the point but you can tell and feel she knows what she is doing and that she wants to help. She does her job well, researches you and your past, answers questions fully and makes sure you understand the next steps, risks, etc.... She suggested that due to our diagnosis that we try IUI along with Clomid for a few cycles. We had the option to do IUIs without medication, but with medication slightly increased our chances. She explained that if after a few rounds nothing works, we will discuss other options and next steps.
Parking is easy, staff is friendly and welcoming, clinic [Jones Institute] is inviting and very easy to find. We really liked the fact that they make you meet with a financial advisor on your first visit to make sure you’re aware of all of the costs associated with EVERYTHING. They really go above and beyond.... [Nursing Staff] They are very kind, help you to feel less stressed, treat you like a human being.... So far we have had two IUIs, in the process of our third.
She is blunt and to the point but you can tell and feel she knows what she is doing and that she wants to help. She does her job well, researches you and your past, answers questions fully and makes sure you understand the next steps, risks, etc.
You won’t always see her, but don’t be alarmed at that.
You always get a call back. Staff is kind and understanding. They answer questions without making you feel like you’re annoying them. They explain everything. They have you meet with a financial advisor before anything.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Parking is easy, staff is friendly and welcoming, clinic is inviting and very easy to find. We really liked the fact that they make you meet with a financial advisor on your first visit to make sure you’re aware of all of the costs associated with EVERYTHING. They really go above and beyond.
So far we have had two IUIs, in the process of our third. Each IUI is $369; $299 for the ultrasound and bloodwork.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
I was at the clinic frequently, having initiated 4 cycles, and I saw Dr. Hecht every single visit. If they had bad news for me, he personally phoned me right away and we talked things over. You truly can't ask for more in a physician...You know what you're getting here. His hands were a little bit tied when it came to getting creative with protocols because the clinic is small and they batch retrievals each month. But that's not his fault. ..
Dr. Hecht never has to look at my file to remember who I am. Whenever I am in the office, he's sure to stop and talk.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Hecht treats me like a person, not a case. I was at the clinic frequently, having initiated 4 cycles, and I saw Dr. Hecht every single visit. If they had bad news for me, he personally phoned me right away and we talked things over. You truly can't ask for more in a physician. He's not conservative in his treatments but there are other clinics that are on the cutting edge and experimental. This isn't one of those clinics and that's okay. You know what you're getting here. His hands were a little bit tied when it came to getting creative with protocols because the clinic is small and they batch retrievals each month. But that's not his fault. That's just the nature of a small clinic. In the end, after having left and gone to two other clinics, I've returned to Dr. Hecht. I trust him. I trust that he has our best interests at heart.
We initiated 4 IVF cycles with Dr. Hecht. I have DOR and I'm a poor responder. My first cycle was an antagonist cycle with high dose FSH. My second and third cycles were long Lupron cycles worh high dose FSH (to quell spontaneous ovulation) and my fourth cycle was long Lupron with high dose FSH, plus a clomid flare.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Homa] was caring and empathetic....She was ready to start me right where I had left off with my previous protocol. I saw her day 10 of my cycle and in day 14 had an ultrasound, gave my trigger and iui then next day. 2 weeks later I had a positive pregnancy test....Schedule ahead of time as her schedule fills quickly. They also do not work around work schedules so expect to take time off work. She is only in Wexford....Only one location, they [Jones Institute] don’t work around your hours at all. You come when they say or not at all. However they are good at what they do.
Only one location, they [Jones Institute] don’t work around your hours at all. You come when they say or not at all. However they are good at what they do. They truly care. They are associated with AHN, not a private practice so they have no reason to take your money with getting results. Come to your first appt with all your previous testing and lab work. They almost always start with their own hsg though....They are busy but always returned my call the same day. They are incredibly compassionate.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She was caring and empathetic.
We did the previous protocol which worked but ended is miscarriage. I had already taken 5mg letrozole days 3-7 and then had ultrasound day 14, gave myself my trigger shot that night and iui the next day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Not assigned, all nurses shared the phone calls. All were knowledgeable. )
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Only one location, they don’t work around your hours at all. You come when they say or not at all. However they are good at what they do. They truly care. They are associated with AHN, not a private practice so they have no reason to take your money with getting results. Come to your first appt with all your previous testing and lab work. They almost always start with their own hsg though.
None, my insurance covered everything except $35 inj medication copay
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Hecht is extremely processional, but he does use humor at times to lighten the mood. This might entirely not be for everyone, but for mine and my husbands personalities and treatment it was fantastic. He is extremely knowledgeable and you feel like a person not just a number...Dr. Hecht explained everything we needed and took the time to make us feel comfortable with diagnostic procedures and treatment. He never acted like he was too busy to talk with us.
The clinic [Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] is in an outpatient setting instead of attached to a hospital so if you have a late appointment and need bloodwork done you will have to go elsewhere or wait until the next day because the outpatient lab closes at 3:00pm...[Nurses are] Super knowledgeable and compassionate. Always able to answer our questions and didn’t feel annoyed by phone calls.
Be open to the humor, he’s not trying to poke fun or downplay the circumstances of why you’re there but rather make infertility a little less doom and gloom.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The clinic is in an outpatient setting instead of attached to a hospital so if you have a late appointment and need bloodwork done you will have to go elsewhere or wait until the next day because the outpatient lab closes at 3:00pm
Costs would’ve been approximately $8000 but with insurance we paid $150.
+ Read more- Read less

Lori homa was very positive from our first visit and helped us beat our secondary infertility on the first cycle! She was very thorough and upbeat the entire process. She also was very knowledgeable and answered every question we had.... I'm not sure if the rationale for any of our treatments but what worked for us was: Letrozole cycle days 3-7 Trigger shot- day 13
The only thing I would change about the clinic [Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny] is their availability. It took me a few months to get in for my fist appointment.... [The nursing staff were] A huge group of smart cheerleaders. They were able to answer all of our questions and a huge support system.... I'm not sure if the rationale for any of our treatments but what worked for us was: Letrozole cycle days 3-7 Trigger shot- day 13
Trust. Trust what she says and take a deep breath. Infertility is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with, but know you are in good hands.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The only thing I would change about the clinic is their availability. It took me a few months to get in for my fist appointment.
Our insurance has a pretty high deductible. Because of our high deductible one month of blood work, meds, and ultrasound was around 700$.
None
+ Read more- Read less

I felt he [Dr. Bryan Hecht] listened to me and really let me lead how aggressive, or not aggressive, I was comfortable with in tackling our problems. This did mean he didn't push me at all and missed diagnosing me with diminished ovarian reserve. As a result I lost a year of treatment.
We did one IUI and Dr. Hecht was out that day [from Jones Institute]. The dr. who filled in for him told me during the procedure that it likely wouldn't work. I wanted to cancel everything, demand a refund, and walk out...Payment was due upfront. No price lists were given. It was very much a whirlwind.
When I was seeing Dr. Hecht I didn't know what questions to even ask. I wish I would have asked more questions about everything. I never felt rushed or hurried during my appointments and he always included my husband in the conversation.
He's retiring.
I felt he listened to me and really let me lead how aggressive, or not aggressive, I was comfortable with in tackling our problems. This did mean he didn't push me at all and missed diagnosing me with diminished ovarian reserve. As a result I lost a year of treatment.
We did one IUI and Dr. Hecht was out that day. The dr. who filled in for him told me during the procedure that it likely wouldn't work. I wanted to cancel everything, demand a refund, and walk out.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Dr. Hecht is retiring and another dr is taking over the practice.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
This Allegheny Health Network - Jones Institute for Fertility - communicates very well and is understanding. I have had no problems scheduling or calling and getting answers. All staff has been very friendly...Dr. Balmir is very understanding and empathetic during this entire process. She truly cares about you and your journey. I could not imagine going to any other fertility doctor. The time she spends to educate you, to share her knowledge and to come up with a plan is unparalleled! I can not thank her enough for giving me hope...is knowledgeable, ask questions! She is very open and honest while at the same time understanding
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Doctor Balmir is knowledgeable, ask questions! She is very open and honest while at the same time understanding
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
I am getting IVF which is very expensive and insurance does not cover this.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Homa is very easy to work with, she cares about her patients and is knowledgeable. My somewhat less positive experience is around simply blaming the failure of a cycle on embryo quality and not willing to test further and try to figure out how to adjust meds etc to raise the potential for success the second time around. ... Dr Homa was not unkind but she does not believe in extra testing or personalizing/ adjusting a cycle.
The clinic and staff [Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny], embryologist are all super flexible, kind, wonderfully easy to work with in our special situation. I do not think we would have such an easy time anywhere else. You are allowed to waive testing you do not feel is needed (for example:mammogram) ... Dr Homa said if embryos are PGS-tested, she will only transfer one - with non-tested, it was up to us to transfer one or two.
FET with 14 days of 3x2mg of vaginal estrogen then after lining check 4.5 days of 3x200mg of vaginal progesterone, 5 days of prednisone (16mg) and doxycycline (500mg) Baby aspirin daily the whole cycle.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The clinic and staff, embryologist are all super flexible, kind, wonderfully easy to work with in our special situation. I do not think we would have such an easy time anywhere else. You are allowed to waive testing you do not feel is needed (for example:mammogram)